Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest - March 2, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2012
      those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out
      our daily news, features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more.

      1. Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women - Canada's Fastest Women's 5K.
      The 2012 race will be run on June 23rd.
      The 2012 edition of Sports 4 Emilie's Run sees the return of cash prizes for what is traditionally the "fastest" women's only race
      in Canada. Sports 4 is providing cash prizing as follows:
      First Overall $1000, Second Overall $750, Third Overall $550, Fourth Overall $400, Fifth Overall $300
      First Masters (40 & over*) $500
      First Team (5 members) $1000
      There are cash prizes for the following:
      New Race Record: $1000, New Masters (40 & over*) Record: $500, New 5 Year Age Category Age : $100
      *age as of Dec 31, 2012
      For more on the race visit the website
      at: http://www.emiliesrun.com.

      3. Toronto Waterfront Marathon, date October 14, 2012
      The fastest men's and women's marathon on Canadian soil!
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/STWM_Transporter.html

      4. Goodlife Fitness Toronto Marathon - ~Online Registration is Now Open~
      Register Now
      Fees Go Up!!!
      Join us next spring on Sunday May 6th, 2012. Great Karbon shirts, huge medals, and one of the best carbo dinners around!
      Experience the city on foot while raising money for a charity of your choice. You'll be supported by over 1500 volunteers and
      thousands of spectators as you run the streets of Toronto.
      http://www.torontomarathon.com/registration/online-registration.html

      5. Training Peaks
      The Runner's Web has partnered with Training Peaks to provide online
      coaching from experts such as Hal Higdon, Joel Friel and Matt
      Fitzgerald. Sign up at:
      https://home.trainingpeaks.com/create-account-personal-edition.aspx?af=RunnersWeb

      6. iRun Magazine
      iRun is Canada's highest-circulation and most popular running magazine. With a total distribution of 50,000 and more than 9,000
      subscribers, iRun is leading the market in the rapidly growing and highly desirable demographic of Canadian runners.
      http://www.irun.ca/

      7. Olympic Physical Therapy and Foot Orthotics:
      Olympic Physical Therapy and Foot Orthotics was founded in May of 2000 by Don Levine, MSPT and Bert Reid, DPT, to provide outpatient
      physical therapy and sports medicine rehabilitation to the residents of Rhode Island and South Eastern Massachusetts. Consistently
      assessing the needs of our communities while striving to provide the highest level of care and customer service. This has allowed
      Olympic and its staff to thrive and earn accolades such as, in 2007, becoming the first recipient of the Small Business of the Year
      award from The Newport Chamber of Commerce
      http://olympicpt-ri.com

      8.. Publix Georgia Marathon & Half Marathon - March 18, 2012
      Run the capital of the south! Start and finish your journey in celebrated Centennial Olympic Park right in downtown Atlanta. Run
      through some of the most beautiful and historic neighborhoods including the birthplace of Martin Luther King, Jr., the Jimmy Carter
      Library & Museum and the bohemian Little Five Points neighborhood. Be cheered along the way by hydration station teams and
      neighborhood
      Cheering zones. All participants will receive a unique finisher's medal and technical race shirt. Register Today!
      http://www.rungeorgiamarathon.com

      9. Toronto Yonge Street 10K - April 22, 2012:
      November 24/11: Running Room announces 5-year partnership with Canada Running Series as OFFICIAL CLINIC PARTNER of Toronto Yonge
      Street 10K. Ten-week clinics to begin the week February 13 at more than 40 Running Room locations across Ontario and Quebec.
      "We're absolutely thrilled with this new partnership," said CRS Race Director Alan Brookes. "We have had such a great partnership
      with Running Room over the last 5 years at Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon & Half, it is just tremendous that we are able to
      work together over the Spring season. It's a natural. Both teams are passionately committed to promoting running and fitness for
      everyone in Canada. The 10K distance is a GREAT starting point for new runners; together, we look forward to bringing thousands more
      'newbies' to the Start Line, and with the world famous Running Room Clinics supporting them, we know there will be many more smiling
      faces at the Finish Line!"
      More detailed information on Running Room Clinics coming soon!
      http://www.canadarunningseries.com/toronto10k/index.htm

      10. Montreal Oasis Marathon - September 23, 2012:
      Oasis Marathon & ½ Marathon de Montréal, part of the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series
      The former Marathon Oasis de Montréal will still be operated by the local Montréal team that has produced the historic and
      successful event for the past 21 years. The team is working together with Competitor Group, Inc. to enhance the 2012 event with
      music, entertainment and exciting Rock ‘n’ Roll series elements while continuing to maintain the integrity of the race. Thank you
      for your patience as we transition the websites and prepare to open the 2012 registration for the Oasis Marathon & ½ Marathon de
      Montréal, part of the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series.
      http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/montreal/en

      ASSOCIATIONS:
      The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional
      Organization for the Running Industry.
      http://www.runningusa.org/

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS: Check the "New Subscribers' note at the bottom of the
      newsletter

      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is available
      [Long URL] The Digest is also available through other RSS Readers on request.

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet
      Explorer from the link on our FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com .

      TWITTER
      Follow us on Twitter at:
      http://twitter.com/runnersweb

      FACEBOOK
      We have reached the limit of 5000 friends on our Facebook page so we have added a Fans page at:
      http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/RunnersWebcom-Inc/189255654487874?sk=wall

      To join the Runner's Web Facebook group, if you are not a member of Facebook, you

      If anyone is looking for a web mail provider, you might wish to consider Google's GMail. You can now sign up for free Gmail at
      Google WITHOUT AN INVITATION at: www.gmail.com

      Event directors, add your event to our Event Calendar at:
      http://runnersweb.mhsoftware.com/

      Watch live and webcast of Track and Field and Road races on Universal Sports
      Sign up at:
      http://www.gopjn.com/t/Sj9KR0VFP0lCSkJEP0hHSEVH

      We have 2703 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe at:

      ROAD RUNNER SPORTS
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/Mobile_RRS.html

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey. Sheila is one of Ottawa's top
      multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public Health and works in the field of
      nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the University of California, San Diego. Her column index is available at:

      * Running Research News: RRN's free, weekly, training update provides subscribers with the most-current, practical, scientifically
      based information about training, sports nutrition, injury prevention, and injury rehabilitation. The purpose of this weekly e-zine
      is to improve subscribers' training quality and to help them train in an injury-free manner. Running Research News also publishes a
      complete, 12-page, electronic newsletter 10 times a year (one-year subscriptions are $35); to learn more about Running Research
      News, please see the Online Article Index and "About Running Research News" sections below or go to www.RRNews.com. Check out the
      article index at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RRN_index.html

      community. We have NO personal postings this week.

      THIS WEEK'S DIGEST ARTICLE INDEX:

      1. Cyclists Eat Too Much!
      2. How Exercise Fuels the Brain
      3. Moving On After A Race Goes Wrong
      4. How Fast Should I Run?
      An 8-minute test to determine your pace for all types of runs.
      5. Visualizing the progression of running times
      6. Dirty Eating By A Clean Triathlete: Video
      7. Yoga and Sex Scandals: No Surprise Here
      8. Cardiac Arrest during Long-Distance Running Races
      9. What Runners Can Learn From Bodybuilders
      10. Is an ice bath after a workout good for you?
      11. Seven Tips for Staying Motivated To Run and Train
      12. The Recovery Approach
      Matt Dixon has helped turn over-trained athletes back into competitive machines, Ryan Hall among them. Here’s how.
      13. Barefoot Versus Running Shoes: Which Is (Surprisingly) More Efficient?
      14. The Basics Of Smart Marathon Training
      15. This Week in Running

      THIS WEEK'S POLL:
      Will Usain Bolt run sub 9:50 for the 100m this year>
      Yes
      No
      Don't care

      Vote in the poll at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/rw_vote.html

      PREVIOUS POLL RESULTS:
      Which of the following workouts do you incorporate into your training on a regular basis?
      Answers Percent Votes
      1 Long Runs 16% 80
      2 Tempo Runs 14% 70
      3 Hill Training 13% 63
      4 Pace Intervals 14% 67
      5 Speed Intervals 14% 67
      6 Running Drills 12% 58
      7 Pilates, Yoga, etc. 11% 54
      8 Other 7% 32
      Total Votes: 491

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage (http://www.runnersweb.com) as well as checking the results of previous polls.

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE MONTH: Kate Roberts, Triathlete.
      At the age of 11 she started running and within her first year of competition gained her provincial colours for Cross Country. Kate
      ran and swam competitively throughout her school career and gained her provincial colours for Cross Country, Athletics (800m, 1500m
      and 3000m) Road Running (10km) Biathlon and also Swimming.
      At the age of 15 she gained her National Protea colours for Biathlon and at the age of 17, Kate made the transition from biathlon
      into triathlon.
      It has always been her dream, since the age of nine, to represent South Africa at an Olympic Games. This dream was conceived when
      South Africa was allowed back into international sporting competitions after being in isolation for 32 years because of the
      country’s apartheid policy. After watching on television, South African athlete, Elana Meyer take the silver medal in the 10 000m at
      the Barcelona Olympics behind Ethiopia’s Derartu Tulu, Kate realized that this was what she also wished more than anything else to
      accomplish in her life.
      She first thought that she would try to compete at an Olympic Games as a track athlete, but when the sport of Triathlon made its
      debut at the Sydney Olympic Games, she soon realized that all she needed to do was add cycling training to her swimming and running
      combination and she could perhaps fulfill her dream of being an Olympian triathlete.
      So it was in the year 2000 that Kate started competing in this wonderful sport of Triathlon.
      More...from her website at:
      http://www.kateroberts.co.za

      BOOK/VIDEO/MOVIE OF THE MONTH: 101 Winning Racing Strategies for Runners
      Jason Karp. PhD
      Most runners run races without giving much thought as to how they are going to run the race. They just pay their entry fee and run,
      or run with their teammates, without any intention to their actions, hoping for a good result. Successful racing takes knowledge,
      planning, and execution. And a little courage. In his new book, 101 Winning Racing Strategies for Runners, 2011 IDEA Personal
      Trainer of the Year Dr. Jason Karp offers the most comprehensive guide for running winning races.
      Get insider information about:
      How to run smarter races
      Race strategy and tactics
      Winning training for racing strategies
      Winning pre-race strategies
      Winning during race strategies
      Winning mental strategies
      Buy the book at Amazon at:
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1606791982/runnersweb

      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html and

      1. Cyclists Eat Too Much!:
      I’ve been a cyclist for a few years, and although I lost 15 pounds when I first started riding, I just can’t seem to lose the next
      15 – despite riding about 10 hours a week. What gives?
      - Mark R. – Milwaukee, WI
      I travel and participate in a lot of events, from charity rides to races and gran fondos, and over the past few years there's one
      observation that has been gathering steam: many cyclists eat way too much food. I know, I know, I’m one of the people who keeps
      telling you to consume carbohydrate during rides in order to maintain power output and avoid bonking. And that’s still the right
      thing to do; but many of you are just eating way more than you need.
      I was on a century ride in California several months ago and I started late so I wasn’t riding with the faster groups up front. I
      met some incredible people and had a great day, but I was struck by how much food people were consuming. And when you do the math,
      over-consumption of food during rides can significantly hinder your ability to lose weight through exercise.
      More...from TrainRight at:
      http://trainright.com/bicycling-magazine-column-cyclists-eat-too-much/

      2. How Exercise Fuels the Brain:
      Moving the body demands a lot from the brain. Exercise activates countless neurons, which generate, receive and interpret repeated,
      rapid-fire messages from the nervous system, coordinating muscle contractions, vision, balance, organ function and all of the
      complex interactions of bodily systems that allow you to take one step, then another.
      This increase in brain activity naturally increases the brain’s need for nutrients, but until recently, scientists hadn’t fully
      understood how neurons fuel themselves during exercise. Now a series of animal studies from Japan suggest that the exercising brain
      has unique methods of keeping itself fueled. What’s more, the finely honed energy balance that occurs in the brain appears to have
      implications not only for how well the brain functions during exercise, but also for how well our thinking and memory work the rest
      of the time.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/22/how-exercise-fuels-the-brain/

      3. Moving On After A Race Goes Wrong:
      Three easy steps for getting over a poor performance.
      If you’ve run a bad race recently, rest assured–you’re not alone.
      Greg Wieczorek, a 2:25 marathoner, said it brilliantly: “Probability theory dictates that I am not going to hit one out of the park
      every race.” It’s important for every runner to consider the way in which he or she judges their own successes or failures. Cam
      Levins, a budding Canadian superstar who recently ran 7:45 for 3,000 meters and 3:57 for the mile, said, “you have to have a short
      memory and despite the world knowing about your poor performance, it is not the end of the world.”
      If your body has fully recovered from a race, but your ego is still sore, it might be time to let yourself off the hook. John C.
      Maxwell wrote a book called Failing Forward: Turning Mistakes into Stepping Stones for Success. Although the title of Maxwell’s book
      sounds akin to something my mother would tell me growing up to soften the blow whenever failure hit, I do believe that Maxwell is
      right and that turning mistakes into stepping stones for success is the ultimate path to improvement. Tim Tollefson, U.S. Olympic
      Marathon Trials qualifier, said, “Wasting too much psychological energy dwelling on what could’ve been is a futile habit. So my
      remedy: Reflect, grow and move on.”
      While goal setting is a must, the possibility of not obtaining goals comes with the territory. With success and hard work came the
      expectation of success, but failure always seems to hit the hardest.
      More...from Competitor Magazine at:
      http://running.competitor.com/2012/02/training/moving-on-after-a-race-goes-wrong_47839

      4. How Fast Should I Run?
      An 8-minute test to determine your pace for all types of runs.
      As a coach, one of the most frequent questions I get is, "How fast should I run?" I've found that you can get an accurate answer by
      doing a test of your lactate threshold, or the pace at which your body can no longer clear lactate at the rate it's being produced.
      Although there are many ways to determine your lactate threshold, most are expensive and inconvenient. In contrast, the one I use is
      easily reproducible, cost-free and reasonably accurate. I call it a "Run LT Field Test." All you need is a track or a GPS device to
      determine total distance run, and a heart rate monitor.
      The Run LT Field Test entails running for 8 minutes on a 400m track or, while wearing a GPS device, on a measured flat surface. The
      goal is to cover as much distance as possible in the 8 minutes.
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=24954

      5. Visualizing the progression of running times:
      Every year or two, a data-loving scientist with an interest in sports will plot the progression of world records in some event, and
      use the data to make some sort of prediction -- that humans will stop improving after 2051, or run a three-minute mile in 2247, or
      whatever. But, as Montreal runner and scientist Graydon Snider points out in a recent blog post, world record progressions can be
      very misleading, since a single person's outlying mark can obscure more general performance trends for years or even decades.
      To visualize the data in a different way, Snider plotted the top several hundred performances(*) for men's distances from 100 meters
      to the marathon, drawing on data from the IAAF and other sources.
      More...from Sweat Science at:
      http://sweatscience.runnersworld.com/2012/02/visualizing-the-progression-of-running-times/

      6. Dirty Eating By A Clean Triathlete: Video:
      In this video, Ben Greenfield shows you the dirty foods in his refrigerator, and why these dirty foods are actually just fine for a
      clean triathlete to eat.
      Watch the video at TriFuel:
      http://www.trifuel.com/training/health-nutrition/dirty-eating-by-a-clean-triathlete-video

      7. Yoga and Sex Scandals: No Surprise Here:
      The wholesome image of yoga took a hit in the past few weeks as a rising star of the discipline came tumbling back to earth. After
      accusations of sexual impropriety with female students, John Friend, the founder of Anusara, one of the world’s fastest-growing
      styles, told followers that he was stepping down for an indefinite period of “self-reflection, therapy and personal retreat.”
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://tinyurl.com/6lga3mk

      8. Cardiac Arrest during Long-Distance Running Races:
      Background
      Approximately 2 million people participate in long-distance running races in the United States annually. Reports of race-related
      cardiac arrests have generated concern about the safety of this activity.
      Methods
      We assessed the incidence and outcomes of cardiac arrest associated with marathon and half-marathon races in the United States from
      January 1, 2000, to May 31, 2010. We determined the clinical characteristics of the arrests by interviewing survivors and the next
      of kin of nonsurvivors, reviewing medical records, and analyzing postmortem data.
      More...from the New England Journal of Medicine at:
      http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1106468

      9. What Runners Can Learn From Bodybuilders:
      Discover how supplementing your training with specific types of protein at precise times can take your recovery to the next level.
      It’s important for coaches and athletes to expand their base of knowledge by studying sports outside of their primary focus. While a
      majority of a runner’s training needs to be running-specific to maximize potential, examining the techniques and training practices
      used by athletes outside the running world can open our eyes to revolutionary training and nutrition insights.
      Take running and bodybuilding as an example. At first glance, it might seem fruitless to look for training secrets across these two
      diametrically opposed disciplines: one sport celebrates the phrase “gaunt is beautiful”, while the other strives to chisel muscle
      like a sculptor.
      Believe it or not, runners can learn something from the training and nutrition plans espoused by bodybuilders. Specifically, how
      protein isolates (different types of protein) can be used to maximize recovery. Bodybuilders are masters at supplementing their
      training with protein intake at just the right time to fuel their muscles and spark recovery — something all runners can benefit
      from.
      More...from Competitor Magazine at:
      http://running.competitor.com/2012/02/nutrition/what-runners-can-learn-from-bodybuilders_47941

      10. Is an ice bath after a workout good for you?
      Review by University of Ulster finds ice baths are effective, but safety evidence is lacking about the cold shock to the system.
      Sport stars like Andy Murray and Paula Radcliffe take an ice bath after a hard match or race, but do these baths work or do more
      harm than good?
      The idea is that a plunge into an icy bath can help ward off the muscle soreness that can kick in a day or so after intense
      exercise.
      As well as elite athletes, ice baths are said to be becoming more popular among other fitness enthusiasts.
      More...from WebMD at:
      http://www.webmd.boots.com/fitness-exercise/news/20120215/is-an-ice-bath-after-a-workout-good-for-you

      11. Seven Tips for Staying Motivated To Run and Train:
      The preparation period for an event or performance several months in duration (e.g. a race or theatrical show) can be divided into
      three segments: Honeymoon, Serious Business and Light at the End of the Tunnel.
      Runners training now for a late April or May race are into the Serious Business. The initial excitement has long worn off. You’re
      into some tough physical and mental slogging. It is at this point where motivation frequently wanes.
      Here are seven tips to rally the mental troops, kick your drive up a notch and stay on track:
      1.Make it sociable. If you tend to run alone, find a running buddy or group to run with. It’s much easier to stick with your plan
      if you know someone is counting on you to show up. In addition, you’ll find that group camaraderie is contagious and can help renew
      your enthusiasm for training.
      More...from the IAWR at:
      http://www.iawr-connect.com/motivation/seventips-2/

      12. The Recovery Approach:
      Matt Dixon has helped turn over-trained athletes back into competitive machines, Ryan Hall among them. Here’s how.
      Every athlete knows recovery is essential, but Ryan Hall seems to be living it. At the Boston and Chicago marathons in 2011, as well
      as the Jan. 14 U.S. Olympic trials marathon, where he placed second, Hall toed the line fit and fresh. His recovered state comes
      courtesy of strategic changes Hall has made to his training over the last year since becoming self-coached — strategies he gathered
      from an unexpected source: professional triathlon coach Matt Dixon.
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=25386

      13. Barefoot Versus Running Shoes: Which Is (Surprisingly) More Efficient?
      There are three possible headlines for this blog post:
      1.Running in shoes takes less energy than running barefoot.
      2.The heavier your shoes are, the less efficiently you run.
      3.Running barefoot "offers no metabolic advantage over running in lightweight, cushioned shoes."
      The topic is a very cool and thought-provoking new study, from Rodger Kram's lab at the University of Colorado, just published
      online in Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise (whose official conclusion is Headline Number 3). While there are plenty of
      subtleties in the study, the basic idea is very simple. They took a group of runners and measured their efficiency (by measuring how
      much oxygen they consumed at a given pace) while adding progressively larger weights to their feet. They did this both with and
      without shoes on. Here's what they found:
      More...from Sweat Science at:
      http://tinyurl.com/7ofq4uo

      14. The Basics Of Smart Marathon Training:
      You can improve your running economy without battering your body.
      LET’S GET THE BASIC WHAT AND WHY OF THIS PLAN right on the table so that you can keep them in mind as you read the how that follows.
      Here’s what you can expect to be doing on a weekly basis under this plan:
      * Three runs a week, totaling no more than 35 miles, consisting of speed work or hill repeats, a tempo run, and a long endurance
      run.
      * Core strengthening, strength training, running drills, and balance work done two to three times per week.
      * Aggressive cross-training, recommended as cycling, at least twice per week.
      Why this plan? Because too many of us get hurt too frequently doing the sport we love. That’s not acceptable, and it’s not the way
      things have to be. You may be reading this book because you believe that a change in your running program is a good idea, which also
      means you’ve already got an open mind about trying a new program. Or you may have come to this program because you’ve had too many
      injuries or a chronic injury that won’t go away.
      More...from Competitor Magazine at:
      http://running.competitor.com/2012/02/training/the-basics-of-smart-marathon-training_47982

      15. This Week in Running:
      10 Years Ago- Robert Cheruiyot Kipkoech (KEN) won the Rome-Ostia (ITA) Half Marathon by more than
      a minute over Philip Kemboi (KEN), 1:00:06 to 1:01:11. Michele Gamba (ITA) came in
      3rd at 1:01:31. Gloria Marconi (ITA) won the women's race by more than two minutes
      over Florinda Andreucci (ITA), 1:11:31 to 1:13:37. Giovanna Volpato (ITA) was 3rd
      at 1:14:01.
      20 Years Ago- Eamonn Martin (ENG) won the English crosscountry championships over 13.9K some 33 seconds
      ahead of William Dee who, in turn, was 17 seconds ahead of Sam Carey. Steve Tunstall and
      Craig Mochrie were 4th and 5th respectively.
      30 Years Ago- Paul Cummings and Joan Hansen won the USA 3 and 2 mile indoors titles respectively
      in New York NY/USA). Cummings clocked a 13:00.52 while Hansen ran 9:37.03.
      40 Years Ago- Russ Pate (USA) won the 3rd edition of the Trail's End (OR/USA) Marathon with a
      2:22:59.9. Garry Harrison (CAN) ran 2nd with 2;25:29 while Jim Pearson (USA) was
      3rd with 2:25:35. Gerry Lindgren (USA) placed 6th in 2:27:47. Elaine Pederson (USA)
      was the first woman finisher with a 3:27:13. She was followed by Deborah Collins (CAN)
      with a 3:32:53. There were 344 finishers, making it the 4th largest marathon in the
      world that year (at least, as known to ADR).
      50 Years Ago- Bruce Kidd (CAN) was the first finisher at the National Senior AAU Indoor Championships
      (NY/USA) 3 mile with a 13:48.8. Patrick Clohessy (AUS) was next at 13:51.6 and Sandor
      Iharos (HUN) was 3rd at 13:54.8. Jared Bourse was the USA titlist in 4th place with a
      14:04.2.
      60 Years Ago- Fred Wilt (USA) won the IC4A Championships (NY/USA) 2 mile (indoor) over Horace Ashenfelter
      (USA), 8:50.7 to 8:51.4. Curtis Stone (USA) was 3rd at 8:54.7.
      70 Years Ago- Greg Rice (USA) won the USA Indoor 3 mile (NY/USA) title with a 13:45.7.
      From The Analytical Distance Runner, the newsletter for the Association of Road
      Racing Statisticians with a focus on races, 3000m
      and longer, including road, track, and cross-country events

      *Please verify event dates with the event websites available from our FrontPage
      (www.runnersweb.com)

      March 3-4, 2012:
      Gasparilla Distance Classic - Tampa Bay, FL

      Little Rock Marathon Weekend - Little Rock, AR

      March 4, 2012:
      13.1 Miami Beach - Miami. FL

      Kaiser Permanente Napa Valley Marathon - Napa, CA

      Orange Blossom Half-Marathon & 5K - Tavares, FL

      Paris Half-Marathon - France

      That Dam Run Half-Marathon & 5K - Denver, CO

      USA 50K Road Championships - Caumsett SP, NY
      July 27 - August 12, 2012:
      London 2012 Olympic Games - London, UK

      June 23, 2012
      Emilie's Run - Ottawa, ON
      http://www.emiliesrun.com

      July 27 - August 12, 2012:
      London 2012 Olympic Games - London, UK

      mailto:runnersweb@yahoogroups.com and in our Runner's Web Forum,
      available off our FrontPage. If you post to the mailing list and
      mailto:webmaster@... to notify us of the problem. To update
      your Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the
      website at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RunnersWeb/join , sign in and
      update your changes.

      Ken

      Ken Parker
      www.RunnersWeb.com
      mailto:kparker@...
      613-746-4053
      http://www.OACRacingTeam.com
      http://www.EmiliesRun.com

      *** END OF RUNNER'S AND TRIATHLETE'S WEB DIGEST...***