Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest - January 6, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2012
      those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out
      our daily news, features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more. General questions should be posted to one of our forums available
      from our FrontPage.

      1. Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women - Canada's Fastest Women's 5K Emilie's Run is over for another year.
      Daniele Riendeau of the Ottawa Athletic Club Racing Team became the first local women to win the race as she won in 17:39 leading
      the OACRT to a first place finish in the team category. Race reports, photos and a video are available at the race website. The
      2012 race will be run on June 23rd. For more on the race visit the website
      at: http://www.emiliesrun.com.

      3. Toronto Waterfront Marathon, date October 14, 2012
      The fastest men's and women's marathon on Canadian soil!
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/STWM_Transporter.html

      4. Goodlife Fitness Toronto Marathon - ~Online Registration is Now Open~
      Register Now
      Fees Go Up!!!
      Join us next spring on Sunday May 6th, 2012. Great Karbon shirts, huge medals, and one of the best carbo dinners around!
      Experience the city on foot while raising money for a charity of your choice. You'll be supported by over 1500 volunteers and
      thousands of spectators as you run the streets of Toronto.
      http://www.torontomarathon.com/registration/online-registration.html

      5. Training Peaks
      The Runner's Web has partnered with Training Peaks to provide online
      coaching from experts such as Hal Higdon, Joel Friel and Matt
      Fitzgerald. Sign up at:
      https://home.trainingpeaks.com/create-account-personal-edition.aspx?af=RunnersWeb

      6. iRun Magazine
      iRun is Canada's highest-circulation and most popular running magazine. With a total distribution of 50,000 and more than 9,000
      subscribers, iRun is leading the market in the rapidly growing and highly desirable demographic of Canadian runners.
      http://www.irun.ca/

      7. Olympic Physical Therapy and Foot Orthotics:
      Olympic Physical Therapy and Foot Orthotics was founded in May of 2000 by Don Levine, MSPT and Bert Reid, DPT, to provide outpatient
      physical therapy and sports medicine rehabilitation to the residents of Rhode Island and South Eastern Massachusetts. Consistently
      assessing the needs of our communities while striving to provide the highest level of care and customer service. This has allowed
      Olympic and its staff to thrive and earn accolades such as, in 2007, becoming the first recipient of the Small Business of the Year
      award from The Newport Chamber of Commerce
      http://olympicpt-ri.com

      8. ING Miami Marathon & Half Marathon(R) - January 29, 2012
      Have you ever wondered what it feels like to be famous? Find out at the 10th annual ING Miami Marathon and Half Marathon. Feel the
      cameras focus on you. The paparazzi are watching. Hear the crowd roar. The fans are screaming your name. Give the performance of
      your life: run
      with 25,000 stars in one of the fastest growing marathons in the country. Miami's palm tree lined boulevards and balmy ocean breezes
      are the
      Perfect backdrop for your winter race. The course has enough entertainment to make Miami proud, plus you'll receive tons of free
      swag
      including a t-shirt, spinning finisher's medal, and tons more. Fame Made Here!
      http://www.ingmiamimarathon.com)

      9. Publix Georgia Marathon & Half Marathon - March 18, 2012
      Run the capital of the south! Start and finish your journey in celebrated Centennial Olympic Park right in downtown Atlanta. Run
      through some of the most beautiful and historic neighborhoods including the birthplace of Martin Luther King, Jr., the Jimmy Carter
      Library & Museum and the bohemian Little Five Points neighborhood. Be cheered along the way by hydration station teams and
      neighborhood
      Cheering zones. All participants will receive a unique finisher's medal and technical race shirt. Register Today!
      http://www.rungeorgiamarathon.com

      10. Toronto Yonge Street 10K - April 22, 2012:
      November 24/11: Running Room announces 5-year partnership with Canada Running Series as OFFICIAL CLINIC PARTNER of Toronto Yonge
      Street 10K. Ten-week clinics to begin the week February 13 at more than 40 Running Room locations across Ontario and Quebec.
      "We're absolutely thrilled with this new partnership," said CRS Race Director Alan Brookes. "We have had such a great partnership
      with Running Room over the last 5 years at Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon & Half, it is just tremendous that we are able to
      work together over the Spring season. It's a natural. Both teams are passionately committed to promoting running and fitness for
      everyone in Canada. The 10K distance is a GREAT starting point for new runners; together, we look forward to bringing thousands more
      'newbies' to the Start Line, and with the world famous Running Room Clinics supporting them, we know there will be many more smiling
      faces at the Finish Line!"
      More detailed information on Running Room Clinics coming soon!
      http://www.canadarunningseries.com/toronto10k/index.htm

      ASSOCIATIONS:
      The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional
      Organization for the Running Industry.
      http://www.runningusa.org/

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS: Check the "New Subscribers' note at the bottom of the
      newsletter

      Add the Runner's Web News feed to your site through a simple
      JavaScript. Check out OnTri.com's implementation at:
      http://www.ontri.com/runnersweb.html
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is now available

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet
      Explorer from the link on our FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com .

      TWITTER
      Follow us on Twitter at:
      http://twitter.com/runnersweb

      FACEBOOK
      We have reached the limit of 5000 friends on our Facebook page so we have added a Fans page at:
      http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/RunnersWebcom-Inc/189255654487874?sk=wall

      To join the Runner's Web Facebook group, if you are not a member of Facebook, you

      If anyone is looking for a web mail provider, you might wish to consider Google's GMail. You can now sign up for free Gmail at
      Google WITHOUT AN INVITATION at: www.gmail.com

      Event directors, add your event to our Event Calendar at:
      http://runnersweb.mhsoftware.com/

      Watch live and webcast of Track and Field and Road races on Universal Sports
      Sign up at:
      http://www.gopjn.com/t/Sj9KR0VFP0lCSkJEP0hHSEVH

      We have 2709 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe at:

      ROAD RUNNER SPORTS
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/Mobile_RRS.html

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey. Sheila is one of Ottawa's top
      multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public Health and works in the field of
      nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the University of California, San Diego. Her column index is available at:

      * Peak Running Performance Peak Running Is The Nation's Most Advanced
      Running Newsletter. Rated as the #1 Running Publication by Road Runner Sports (Worlds Largest Running Store) , Peak Running caters
      to the serious / dedicated runner. Delivering world class running advice are some of running's most recognizable athletes including
      Dr. Joe Vigil (US Olympic Coach), Scott Tinley (2 Time Ironman Champ) Steve Scott (3 Time Olympian) and many more. This bi-monthly
      newsletter has been around for over 13 years, and in the past two it has been awarded the "Golden Shoe Award" in recognition of it's
      outstanding achievements.

      * Running Research News: RRN's free, weekly, training update provides subscribers with the most-current, practical, scientifically
      based information about training, sports nutrition, injury prevention, and injury rehabilitation. The purpose of this weekly e-zine
      is to improve subscribers' training quality and to help them train in an injury-free manner. Running Research News also publishes a
      complete, 12-page, electronic newsletter 10 times a year (one-year subscriptions are $35); to learn more about Running Research
      News, please see the Online Article Index and "About Running Research News" sections below or go to RRNews.com. Check out the
      article index at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RRN_index.html

      Universal Sports
      Universal Sports, a partnership between NBC Sports and InterMedia Partners, is the preeminent media destination for Olympic and
      lifestyle sports programming. The Universal Sports Television Network and UniversalSports.com deliver an immersive experience via
      exclusive live and on-demand coverage of world-class competitions, interaction with top athletes and in-depth access to sports news
      and information year round.
      Offering more than 1,200 hours of original event programming each year, Universal Sports delivers the content sports fans want on
      multiple platforms. Whether on television, online, on a mobile device or via satellite radio, Universal Sports provides fans
      comprehensive coverage of more than 40 sports disciplines.
      Major domestic and international championship and Olympic qualifying events found on Universal Sports include track & field, skiing,
      swimming, gymnastics, cycling, volleyball, marathons, triathlons and rugby.
      Universal Sports Television Network is available on television to over 63 million U.S. homes in 51 markets, including New York, Los
      Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta, Washington D.C., Denver, San Diego and San Francisco.
      Go to: http://www.gopjn.com/t/Sj9KR0VFP0lCSkJEP0hHSEVH

      community. We have NO personal postings this week.

      THIS WEEK'S DIGEST ARTICLE INDEX:

      1. VO2max - The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com
      2. Hodgepodge Isn't a Training Program
      You need a method to your madness.
      3. Nutrition: 4 Vitamins That Strengthen Older Brains
      4. 50-Plus Tri: An Introduction
      A new column to keep a fast-growing age group ahead of the pack.
      5. You’re Not Getting Older You’re Getting Faster
      6. Why Ice May Be Bad for Sore Muscles
      7. Devices to Keep Track of Calories, Lost or Gained
      8. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine
      9. Couch Potato or Elite Athlete? A Happy Medium Keeps Colds at Bay
      10. Making the Grade: Matt Levassiur
      11. Everything You Need To Know About Energy Gels
      12. Six Nutritional Resolutions for a Healthy New Year
      13. How Yoga Can Wreck Your Body
      14. Nutrition: Athletes should maintain a solid strength-to-weight ratio
      15. This Week in Running

      THIS WEEK'S POLL:
      When will we see a sub 2-hour marathon?
      Never
      5 years
      10 years
      15 years
      20 years
      25+ years

      Vote in the poll at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/rw_vote.html

      PREVIOUS POLL RESULTS:
      When did you set your last PR (Personal Record)?
      Answers Percent Votes
      1 2011 6% 31
      2 2 years ago 13% 70
      3 3 years ago 14% 76
      4 4 years ago 8% 43
      5 5 years ago 17% 89
      6 6-10 years ago 19% 99
      7 11-20 years ago 8% 40
      8 20+ years ago! 15% 78
      Total Votes: 526

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage (http://www.runnersweb.com) as well as checking the results of previous polls.

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE MONTH: British Triathlon (Redesigned for 2012)
      British Triathlon is the National Governing Body for Triathlon, Paratriathlon, Duathlon and Aquathlon in Great Britain, responsible
      for raising profile and delivering elite performance of the sport. Triathlon is a fast growing, dynamic and modern Olympic sport
      with talented world class athletes, coaches and support staff, focused around delivering world class events and medal winning
      performances.
      Great Britain boasts 13 current world champions amongst a strong squad of world ranked elite triathletes, alongside emerging talent
      from our youth development programmes. British Triathlon enables paratriathletes to deliver world class success, raising the
      profile of paratriathlon in the build up to the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games.
      There are over 700 triathlon events conducted in Great Britain each year including the British Triathlon Super Series, which
      attracts athletes from all over the world. British Triathlon is committed to being a leader in environmental awareness in sport,
      protecting the environment in which we operate today and in the future.
      British Triathlon aims to promote excellence in our sport, and create opportunities for everyone to achieve their personal
      triathlon challenges. Tata Steel is the Corporate Partner of British Triathlon and is proud to be enabling the sport of triathlon.
      www.britishtriathlon.org

      BOOK/VIDEO/MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Running For Women (available in June 2012)
      By Carolyn Smith, Jason Karp
      Product Description
      According to Running USA, women account for 53 percent of all road race finishers. Their participation rates have rocketed from
      908,000 in 1989 to over 5.4 million in 2009. Readers have been seeking a comprehensive book that appeals to both recreational
      fitness runners and serious performance runners and that uniquely addresses a female audience. Exercise physiologist, coach,
      competitive runner, and 2011 IDEA Personal Trainer of the Year Dr. Jason Karp teams with physician and USA Track & Field
      ultramarathon champion Dr. Carolyn Smith to fill this void with Running for Women, a book that explains the physiology and anatomy
      of female runners and provides guidance for training differently from men.
      Running for Women presents guidelines for tailoring training to the menstrual cycle for maximum response and adaptation as well as
      determining the best times to perform the various types of training outlined in the book. Throughout the book, cutting-edge workouts
      target various competitive goals like endurance building, speed and strength training, lactate threshold training, and VO2max
      training.
      This guide also contains recommendations for modifying workouts and training programs for all stages of the life span, including
      pregnancy, menopause, and postmenopause. Common injuries are covered, particularly the increased incidence of knee injuries and
      stress fractures among female runners, as are health, wellness, performance nutrition, and the female athlete triad-a combination of
      disordered eating, menstrual irregularities, and osteoporosis.
      For more info or to buy the book (available in June 2012) go to:
      http://www.humankinetics.com/products/all-products/Running-for-Women?associate=880&isbn=9781450404679

      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html and

      1. VO2max - The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com:
      Losing Weight in the New Year:
      When you go into a bookstore, ever notice how many books there are on weight loss? They all propose to have the answer. But they
      all say the same thing. And they're all full of fluff. How else can these authors fill more than 200 pages? Reading these books,
      you come away believing that weight loss is a complicated issue. But weight loss is actually quite simple; it's people who are
      complicated. Losing weight is matter of expending more energy than you consume. To lose one pound, you need to expend exactly
      3,500 more calories than you consume. What is misunderstood by so many is that you don't have to use fat during exercise to lose
      fat from your waistline. Exercise is predominantly a carbohydrate activity, as carbs are our bodies' preferred fuel. Weight loss
      is really all about the calories. So, if you want to lose one pound per week in this new year, you need to expend an average of 500
      calories more than you consume each day (500 x 7 = 3,500). If you consume 2,000 calories per day, you need to expend an average of
      2,500 calories per day to lose one pound per week. That's all you really need to know to lose weight. Obviously, it's easier said
      than done, otherwise no one would have trouble losing weight. So, if you want to lose weight this year, make small goals-eat a bit
      less and exercise a lot more. Focus on expending 500 calories more than you consume every day.
      To view past newsletters go to: http://www.runcoachjason.com/newsletter
      Copyright 2012 Jason Karp All Rights Reserved - http://www.runcoachjason.com

      2. Hodgepodge Isn't a Training Program:
      You need a method to your madness.
      love the word "hodgepodge" and take great delight any time it's used in conversation--except when talking about a training plan.
      Far too often, I hear of runners who take a little from this plan, a bit from that plan, something from the training of a race
      winner and a workout from the fastest runner in town. They then throw these workouts together and call it a training plan. But
      "plan" isn't the best way to describe this method of organizing your training.
      PURPOSE
      I'm a firm believer that every workout you do should have a purpose. That purpose can be physiological (usually the case) and/or
      psychological (just as important as the physiological but sometimes unrelated) but for certain, it must help build you toward your
      goal fitness.
      Most workouts can be classified as one of four types: endurance, stamina, speed or sprint. Just ask yourself which of these four
      descriptors is challenged most during the workout you've selected. Additionally, workouts can have other purposes besides the four
      types. One instance is a predictor workout like Yasso 800s, which could be one or two of the four types but whose real purpose (to
      predict your marathon time) goes beyond these categories. In the end, it doesn't really matter what the purpose is. It's just
      important that you identify one before you plop the workout into your training program.
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=24900

      3. Nutrition: 4 Vitamins That Strengthen Older Brains:
      Higher blood levels of omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin B, vitamin C, vitamin D and vitamin E are associated with better mental
      functioning in the elderly, a new study has found.
      Researchers measured blood levels of these nutrients in 104 men and women, whose average age was 87. The scientists also performed
      brain scans to determine brain volume and administered six commonly used tests of mental functioning. The study is in the Jan. 24
      issue of Neurology.
      After controlling for age, sex, blood pressure, body mass index and other factors, the researchers found that people with the
      highest blood levels of the four vitamins scored higher on the cognitive tests and had larger brain volume than those with the
      lowest levels.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://tinyurl.com/7udkeaq

      4. 50-Plus Tri: An Introduction:
      A new column to keep a fast-growing age group ahead of the pack.
      You know you’re getting old as a triathlete when everything that works hurts, and what doesn’t hurt doesn’t work. One day you
      realize it’s now taking you longer to recover than it did to get tired in the first place.
      Kidding aside, I’m 52 years old and feel like I have better overall endurance fitness than I did in my 30s. And apparently I’m not
      alone. The top 50 triathletes in my age group at Kona this year (M50-54) came in under 12 hours. The top 50! That’s not hanging
      around.
      “But that’s the elite age-groupers,” I can hear you whimper. What about the ordinary 50-year-old Joe Blow, wheezing and cramping his
      way through the back half of a flat, 10-mile training run?
      My very unscientific look at the competitor lists from a handful of Ironman and Ironman 70.3 events this past year shows that 10-15
      percent of starters were over the age of 50. Numbers vary depending on the race and location, but they can get pretty high. For
      example, by my calculations, 17 percent of athletes at Ironman Florida (or about 500 athletes), and 13 percent at California
      Oceanside 70.3, were over 50. Worldwide, that number is constantly increasing.
      Read more: 50-Plus Tri: An Introduction : LAVA Magazine http://lavamagazine.com/features/50-plus-tri-an-introduction/#ixzz1iS44IHFX

      5. You’re Not Getting Older You’re Getting Faster:
      Good news for older runners who aim to improve their running and racing! It was commonly believed that running economy (one’s
      ability to utilize oxygen at a given pace) decreases with age. The higher your running economy, the less oxygen you require to run
      at a given pace. Therefore, an “economical” runner can continue running at a given speed for a longer period of time than her less
      economical counterpart. Running economy is reliable indicator of distance race performance.
      An article written by Gretchen Reynolds (that appeared in Tara Parker Pope’s December 21st New York Times Well Blog) reported on
      recent research conducted at the University of New Hampshire (published in The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research) that
      lays this myth to rest. Dr. Timothy Quinn, the study’s lead author: “Contrary to our beliefs, economy did not decline with age”.
      Being able to utilize oxygen efficiently, middle aged and older runners are capable of fast running and race times.
      More...from the IAWR at:
      http://www.iawr-connect.com/training/notgettingolder/

      6. Why Ice May Be Bad for Sore Muscles:
      Already, the benches in gym locker rooms and beside basketball courts are filling with 2012’s early casualties, those of us who,
      goaded by New Year’s resolutions, are exercising a bit too enthusiastically and developing sore muscles. Many of us will then drape
      ice packs over our aching muscles. But a new review article published this month in the journal Sports Medicine suggests that for
      sore muscles, ice is not always the panacea that most of us believe it to be and that, in some instances, it can be
      counterproductive.
      For the study, researchers at the University of Ulster and University of Limerick in Ireland reviewed almost three dozen earlier
      studies of the effects of using ice to combat sore muscles, a practice that many who exercise often employ. Ice is, after all, the
      “I” in the acronym RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation), which remains the standard first-aid protocol for dealing with a
      sports-related injury. Icing is also widely used to deal with muscles that twinge but aren’t formally injured. Watch almost any
      football, basketball or soccer game, at any level, and you’ll likely see many of the players icing body parts during halftime,
      preparing to return to play.
      But there has been surprisingly little science to support the practice. A 2004 review of icing-related studies published to that
      point concluded that while cold packs did seem to reduce pain in injured tissues, icing’s overall effects on sore muscles had “not
      been fully elucidated” and far more study was needed.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/04/why-ice-may-be-bad-for-sore-muscles/?ref=health

      7. Devices to Keep Track of Calories, Lost or Gained:
      When it comes to New Year’s resolutions, year after year the No. 1 spot is most likely occupied by “lose weight.” Its persistence
      probably has something to do with the fact that most people have trouble actually succeeding.
      There is a simple reason for this. Everyone understands they have to burn more calories than they take in, said John Jakicic, a
      professor at the University of Pittsburgh and a researcher in the field of exercise and long-term weight control. But “most people
      don’t know how many calories they burn a day,” he said. “They have no clue.”
      Getting a clue — or at least an accurate estimate — used to require a visit to a laboratory or the use of complex scientific
      equipment. Guess how often people took that approach?
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/05/technology/personaltech/devices-to-keep-track-of-calories-lost-or-gained.html?ref=nutrition

      8. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine:
      ** Being Fit Prolongs Lives
      Men who were physically fit in their 40s and continued to exercise regularly ten years later are 30 percent less likely to die and
      44 percent less likely to die from heart attacks than men who do not exercise (Circulation. December 2, 2011;124:2483-2490). Fit
      men who lost their fitness increased their risk for premature death. Other factors that increased risk for dying were higher blood
      pressure, fasting blood sugar or cholesterol.
      The number of calories the average person burns when he or she sits is called a MET. When you exercise, you burn more calories than
      you do at rest. Doctors can measure fitness levels by asking a person to run as fast as he can on a treadmill. The faster a person
      runs, the more calories he burns. If you exercise intensely enough to burn twice as many calories as you do at rest, you are
      exercising at 2 METS. You use 0.9 METS when you sleep and 18 METS running a mile in five minutes and 30 seconds.
      For each additional MET you can exercise at your maximal intensity, you lower your risk by 15 percent for death and by 19 percent
      for death from a heart attack.
      ** Fructose Causes High Triglycerides
      It's usually safe to take sport and energy drinks when you are exercising, but taking them when you are not exercising can raise
      your triglycerides, increasing your risk for high blood
      pressure, obesity, diabetes, heart attacks and even death. Virtually all sport and energy drinks contain sugars. The sugars are
      usually a combination of glucose and fructose. All sugars raise the fat called triglycerides in your blood and your body, but
      fructose, in particular, raises it the most (Journal of Nutrition, June 2011).
      In this study, volunteers ate a breakfast of energy drinks sweetened with:
      * 100 percent glucose,
      * a 50-50 mix of glucose and fructose, and
      * a 25-75 mix of glucose and fructose.
      Four hours later, the ones who took the 50/50 and 25/75 mixes of glucose and fructose developed the same very high blood levels of
      triglycerides, more than twice as much as the ones who took only glucose. They also developed the most fat in their livers.
      On the days that they took the 50-50 and 25-75 glucose and fructose drinks, they ate lunch and their blood levels of triglycerides
      increased up to 200 percent. So four hours after
      taking fructose, their blood and bodies were loaded with far more fat than those who took only glucose. The calories in their lunch
      formed more fat than when they didn't take fructose for breakfast.
      This shows that both glucose and fructose raise blood and body fats, and that fructose raises these fats far more than glucose does.
      High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) added to most soft drinks is no more damaging than drinks with regular table sugar. Table sugar
      contains fructose to glucose in almost equal concentrations, while HFCS contains a ratio of 55 to 45, which is not a significant
      difference. Also, nobody has shown that fruit, which contains fructose, is a fattening food.
      From Dr. Gabe Mirkin at:
      http://www.drmirkin.com

      9. Couch Potato or Elite Athlete? A Happy Medium Keeps Colds at Bay:
      Battling colds and doing (or pledging to do) more exercise are familiar activities for most of us in January. But different levels
      of exercise can actually significantly increase or decrease your chances of catching a respiratory infection, says Professor Mike
      Gleeson from Loughborough University.
      While regular moderate exercise can reduce the risk of catching cold-like infections, prolonged strenuous exercise, such as
      marathons, can make an individual more susceptible. This is a topical area of research in the year of the Olympics, says Professor
      Gleeson talking at the Association for Science Education (ASE) Conference on January 6, on behalf of the Society for General
      Microbiology and the British Society for Immunology.
      Upper- respiratory tract infections (URTIs) are acute infections that affect the nose, throat and sinuses, and include the common
      cold, tonsillitis, sinusitis and flu. Viruses that circulate in the environment usually cause URTIs. While we are constantly exposed
      to these viruses, it is the status of our immune system that determines whether we succumb to infection or not. Exercise can have
      both a positive and negative effect on immune function, combined with genetics and other external factors like stress, poor
      nutrition and lack of sleep. Collectively these factors determine an individual's susceptibility to infection.
      More...from Science Daily at:
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/01/120105112158.htm

      10. Making the Grade: Matt Levassiur:
      How teacher and father Matt Levassiur qualified for the Olympic Marathon Trials.
      Watch the video at:
      http://tinyurl.com/6wttjzj

      11. Everything You Need To Know About Energy Gels:
      How they work, as well as why, when and how to use them.
      Written by: Jeff Gaudette
      It wasn’t long ago that runners relied solely on water, sports drinks, and maybe some flat cola as their primary carbohydrate
      supplement during longer races such as half marathons and marathons. Luckily, our understanding of sports nutrition (specifically
      how glycogen is used during the marathon) has improved to the point that we now have a plethora of products to choose from, each
      designed to speed glycogen to our working muscles.
      The problem these days is not in finding a glycogen delivery product, but rather in sorting through the myriad of possible choices
      and then developing a strategic nutrition strategy to ensure optimal fueling on race day
      More...from Competitor Magazine at:
      http://running.competitor.com/2012/01/nutrition/everything-you-need-to-know-about-energy-gels_44642

      12. Six Nutritional Resolutions for a Healthy New Year:
      Have you made your nutrition resolutions? If so, they might look like these:
      •Try a month-long cleanse
      •Launch into a vegan diet
      •Test out gluten-free eating
      •Lose weight
      Or maybe the only resolution on your list is to learn to fuel while training for your first marathon.
      If you're still undecided and don't want to be left out of the resolution loop, check out the following list. These resolutions all
      carry worthwhile nutritional benefits.
      1. Avoid Aspartame and other synthetic sugars.
      Aspartame is an artificial sweetener used as a sugar substitute in some foods and drinks. It is also sold under the brand name
      NutraSweet.
      Aspartame's negative side effects include Methanol (wood alcohol) which is a dangerous neurotoxin and a known carcinogen. Synthetic
      sugars contribute to acidity, a condition which leads to inflammation and the creation of fat cells to store that extra acid. So
      ironically, consistent consumption of Aspartame could add to your weight.
      More...from Active.com at:
      http://tinyurl.com/7fvvdg7

      13. How Yoga Can Wreck Your Body:
      On a cold Saturday in early 2009, Glenn Black, a yoga teacher of nearly four decades, whose devoted clientele includes a number of
      celebrities and prominent gurus, was giving a master class at Sankalpah Yoga in Manhattan. Black is, in many ways, a classic yogi:
      he studied in Pune, India, at the institute founded by the legendary B. K. S. Iyengar, and spent years in solitude and meditation.
      He now lives in Rhinebeck, N.Y., and often teaches at the nearby Omega Institute, a New Age emporium spread over nearly 200 acres of
      woods and gardens. He is known for his rigor and his down-to-earth style. But this was not why I sought him out: Black, I’d been
      told, was the person to speak with if you wanted to know not about the virtues of yoga but rather about the damage it could do. Many
      of his regular clients came to him for bodywork or rehabilitation following yoga injuries. This was the situation I found myself in.
      In my 30s, I had somehow managed to rupture a disk in my lower back and found I could prevent bouts of pain with a selection of yoga
      postures and abdominal exercises. Then, in 2007, while doing the extended-side-angle pose, a posture hailed as a cure for many
      diseases, my back gave way. With it went my belief, naïve in retrospect, that yoga was a source only of healing and never harm.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/magazine/how-yoga-can-wreck-your-body.html?ref=nutrition

      14. Nutrition: Athletes should maintain a solid strength-to-weight ratio
      An excerpt from Advanced Sports Nutrition, Second Edition
      The strength-to-weight ratio is critically important in virtually all athletic endeavors, so athletes are rightly interested in ways
      to improve or sustain muscle mass. Athletes and their coaches commonly believe the central nutrition strategy for achieving this is
      to increase protein consumption. However, assuming caloric needs are met, the anabolic maximum for protein is reached at an intake
      level of approximately 1.5 grams of protein per kilogram of mass. Clearly, if there is a relationship between protein consumption
      and muscle mass, it must be related to other factors including the type of exercise performed relative to the amount and type of
      protein consumed, the within-day distribution of protein consumed, and the coingestion of protein with other nutrients. There are,
      of course, also limitations in how well different populations may hope to enhance musculature, even when optimal nutrition
      strategies are coupled with appropriate resistance activities. Aging reduces the responses of muscle fibers and the anabolic
      signaling response to resistance exercise. Although few differences exist between the muscular responses of young women and young
      men to acute exercise, the muscular responses of older women may be blunted more than in older men.
      More...from the Runner's Web at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news_2012/rw_news_20120106_HK_ASN.html

      15. This Week in Running:
      10 Years Ago- Tesfaye Jifar (ETH) won the São Silvestre Road Race (BRA) 15K, defeating Gilbert Okari (KEN)
      44:15 to 44:32. John Yuda (TAN) was 3rd at 44:37. Maria-Zeferina Baldaia (BRA) won the
      women's race in 52:12. Margaret Okayo (KEN) was 2nd in 52:23 and Marcia Narloch (BRA)
      was 3rd in 53:07.
      20 Years Ago- Arturo Barrios (MEX) won the São Silvestre Road Race (BRA) 15K in 44:04 with Jose Castillo
      (PER) next at 44:33 and Delmir Alves dosSantos (BRA) 3rd at 44:47. Mara-Luisa Servin (MEX)
      won the women's race over Rita deJesus (BRA), 54:02 to 54:18. Silvana Pereira (BRA) was
      3rd at 54:19.
      30 Years Ago- Victor Manuel Mora (COL) won the São Silvestre Road Race (BRA) 8.4K by five seconds over
      compatriot Silvio Salazar, 23:30 to 23:35. Jose Joao daSilva (BRA) came in 3rd at 24:02.
      Rosa Mota (POR) won the women's race by a wide margin over Katy Laetsch (USA), 26:45 to
      27:35. Heidi Hutterer (GER) was 3rd in 27:49.
      40 Years Ago- Rafael Tadeo Palomares (MEX) won the Round the Houses (BRA) 8.4K by three seconds over
      Victor Manuel Mora (COL), 23:48 to 23:51. Olympic marathon gold medalist Carlos Lopes
      (POR) was 3rd 23:56. Emile Puttemans (BEL), Akio Usami (JPN), Lutz Philipp (GER),
      Karel Lismont (BEL), and Lasse Viren (FIN) also ran.
      50 Years Ago- Martin Hyman (ENG) won the Round the Houses (BRA) 7.3K in 21:25.
      60 Years Ago- James Henry Peters (ENG) won the Morpeth-Newcastle (ENG) 13.6M in 1:11:45.From The Analytical Distance Runner, the
      newsletter for the Association of Road Racing Statisticians with a focus on races, 3000m
      and longer, including road, track, and cross-country events

      *Please verify event dates with the event websites available from our FrontPage (www.runnersweb.com)

      January 6-7, 2012:
      Ragnar Relay Florida Keys - Miami, FL

      January 6-8, 2012:
      Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend - Lake Buena Vista, FL
      Disney Family Fun Run 5K, WDW Half-Marathon and Marathon

      January 7, 2012:
      Mississippi Blues Marathon - Jackson, MS

      USA 100K Trail Championships - Bandera, TX

      June 23, 2012
      Emilie's Run - Ottawa, ON
      http://www.emiliesrun.com

      mailto:runnersweb@yahoogroups.com and in our Runner's Web Forum,
      available off our FrontPage. If you post to the mailing list and
      mailto:webmaster@... to notify us of the problem. To update
      your Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the
      website at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RunnersWeb/join , sign in and
      update your changes.

      Ken

      Ken Parker
      www.RunnersWeb.com
      mailto:kparker@...
      613-746-4053
      http://www.OACRacingTeam.com
      http://www.EmiliesRun.com

      RUNNER'S WEB AFFILIATE PROGRAMS:
      If you experience any delays in receiving your copy of the Digest,
      please advise us at:
      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for viruses.
      Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor (me) prior to being
      released to the group. If you have any questions regarding
      the options available for receiving this digest,
      mailto:Webmaster@...
      *NOTE*
      **[ Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two lines. If
      you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you paste
      the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or
      another appropriate suffix ].
      Note: An increasing number of media sites require free registration.
      If you wish to sign up for free access to sources for our
      articles without using your main email address we suggest the use of a
      mail alias program such as http://www.emailias.com.

      *** END OF RUNNER'S AND TRIATHLETE'S WEB DIGEST...***