Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest - August 5, 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2011
      those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out
      our daily news, features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more. General questions should be posted to one of our forums available
      from our FrontPage.

      1. Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women - Canada's Fastest Women's 5K Emilie's Run is over for another year.
      Daniele Riendeau of the Ottawa Athletic Club Racing Team became the first local women to win the race as she won in 17:39 leading
      the OACRT to a first place finish in the team category. Race reports, photos and a video are available at the race website. The
      2012 race will be run on June 23rd. For more on the race visit the website
      at: http://www.emiliesrun.com.

      3. Toronto Waterfront Marathon, October 16, 2011
      *New Date*
      The fastest men's and women's marathon on Canadian soil!

      4. Goodlife Fitness Toronto Marathon - ~Online Registration is Now Open~
      Register Now
      Fees Go Up!!!
      Beat the fee increase by registering before midnight on Thursday June 30th.
      Join us next spring on Sunday May 6th, 2012. Great Karbon shirts, huge medals, and one of the best carbo dinners around!
      Experience the city on foot while raising money for a charity of your choice. You'll be supported by over 1500 volunteers and
      thousands of spectators as you run the streets of Toronto.
      Toronto 5k
      Come out this fall and support the Sick Kids Foundation by participating in the Toronto 5k on Saturday September 17th, 2012. For
      more information and to register now, click here.

      5. Training Peaks
      The Runner's Web has partnered with Training Peaks to provide online
      coaching from experts such as Hal Higdon, Joel Friel and Matt
      Fitzgerald. Sign up at:

      6. iRun Magazine
      iRun is Canada's highest-circulation and most popular running magazine. With a total distribution of 50,000 and more than 9,000
      subscribers, iRun is leading the market in the rapidly growing and highly desirable demographic of Canadian runners.

      7. Olympic Physical Therapy and Foot Orthotics:
      Olympic Physical Therapy and Foot Orthotics was founded in May of 2000 by Don Levine, MSPT and Bert Reid, DPT, to provide outpatient
      physical therapy and sports medicine rehabilitation to the residents of Rhode Island and South Eastern Massachusetts. Consistently
      assessing the needs of our communities while striving to provide the highest level of care and customer service. This has allowed
      Olympic and its staff to thrive and earn accolades such as, in 2007, becoming the first recipient of the Small Business of the Year
      award from The Newport Chamber of Commerce

      The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional
      Organization for the Running Industry.

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS: Check the "New Subscribers' note at the bottom of the

      Add the Runner's Web News feed to your site through a simple
      JavaScript. Check out OnTri.com's implementation at:
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is now available

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet
      Explorer from the link on our FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com .

      Follow us on Twitter at:

      I've created a Runner's Web Group on Facebook. To join the Runner's Web Facebook group, if you are not a member of Facebook, you

      If anyone is looking for a web mail provider, you might wish to consider Google's GMail. You can now sign up for free Gmail at
      Google WITHOUT AN INVITATION at: www.gmail.com

      Event directors, add your event to our Event Calendar at:

      Watch live and webcast of Track and Field and Road races on Universal Sports
      Sign up at:

      We have 2680 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe at:

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey. Sheila is one of Ottawa's top
      multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public Health and works in the field of
      nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the University of California, San Diego. Her column index is available at:

      * Peak Running Performance Peak Running Is The Nation's Most Advanced
      Running Newsletter. Rated as the #1 Running Publication by Road Runner Sports (Worlds Largest Running Store) , Peak Running caters
      to the serious / dedicated runner. Delivering world class running advice are some of running's most recognizable athletes including
      Dr. Joe Vigil (US Olympic Coach), Scott Tinley (2 Time Ironman Champ) Steve Scott (3 Time Olympian) and many more. This bi-monthly
      newsletter has been around for over 13 years, and in the past two it has been awarded the "Golden Shoe Award" in recognition of it's
      outstanding achievements.

      * Running Research News: RRN's free, weekly, training update provides subscribers with the most-current, practical, scientifically
      based information about training, sports nutrition, injury prevention, and injury rehabilitation. The purpose of this weekly e-zine
      is to improve subscribers' training quality and to help them train in an injury-free manner. Running Research News also publishes a
      complete, 12-page, electronic newsletter 10 times a year (one-year subscriptions are $35); to learn more about Running Research
      News, please see the Online Article Index and "About Running Research News" sections below or go to RRNews.com. Check out the
      article index at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RRN_index.html

      community. We have NO personal postings this week.

      1. Marathoning and the Meniscus
      Solutions and preventative measures to preserve the crucial cushioning in your knee.
      2. VO2max - The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com
      3. Seven ways to improve your running form
      4. Some Exercise Is Better Than None: More Is Better to Reduce Heart Disease Risk
      5. Active-Isolated Flexibility with Phil Wharton
      6. Mind Games: So You Want to Get Faster?
      7. Study Explains Why Muscles Weaken With Age and Points to Possible Therapy
      8. Effects of synchronous music on treadmill running among elite triathletes
      9. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine
      10. Triathlon's Extra Leg - Transitioning from Dry to Wet
      A Q and A with some suggestions on how to take care of your feet (and other body parts) during your races.
      11. Interval Workouts 101: The Best Way to Get Faster
      12. Top 10 Reasons Exercise Is Bad For You
      13. Build Running-Specific Core Stability
      Great exercises to help you achieve true spinal stability.
      14. Pulled Muscles, Scar Tissue and Re-Injury
      How does scar tissue affect recovery & re-injury of pulled muscles and sports injuries?
      15. Digest Briefs

      Which of the following magazines do you read?
      220 Magazine
      Canadian Running
      Inside Triathlon
      Runner's World
      Runner's World UK
      Running Times
      Track and Field News
      Triathlete Magazine

      What is/are your favourite running workout(s)?

      Answers Percent Votes
      1 Drills 9% 16
      2 Fartlek 10% 18
      3 Hills 14% 26
      4 Intervals 22% 39
      5 Long Run 25% 45
      6 Tempo 12% 21
      7 Time Trial 9% 16
      Total Votes: 181

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage (http://www.runnersweb.com) as well as checking the results of previous polls.

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE MONTH: Paula Findlay, Triathlete
      Paula’s introduction to the sport of triathlon began first as a swimmer which she been doing since she was 10 years old. She added
      the running component to her skill set during high school when she joined a track club at age 15. Paula tried her first triathlon a
      few years later and has been hooked ever since.
      Her development in the sport has been steady and. In her first competitive season in 2006, she competed at the World Junior
      Championships and made Canada’s Junior squad in both the 2007 and 2008 seasons where her best international performance was a
      sixth-place finish. Paula won the junior and senior national championships in 2008. She took another major step forward in 2009 when
      she finished third at the Under-23 World Championships.
      But Paula’s official entrance onto the world stage came last season on the 2012 Olympic course at the historic Hyde Park in London,
      Paula shocked the world becoming the first Canadian triathlete to win a World Championship Series event. She then matched that
      performance and was the only woman athlete to win back-to-back in 2010 when she hopped onto the top step of the podium at the next
      race in Kitzbuhel, Austria.
      If the world doesn't know Paula now, they're going to get to know her leading into the London Games.
      Paula is quickly emerging into one of Canada’s potential stars for the 2012 Olympic Summer Games.
      Paula enjoys being active. When not doing triathlon she can be found skiing or running track. Her time leading into this season has
      also been occupied as a student at the University of Alberta where she is trying to get into medicine and become a doctor.
      Read more about Paula at:
      And read her blog at:

      By Mark Sutcliffe
      Ottawa writer and broadcaster Mark Sutcliffe started out as a reluctant runner. When he was a kid, the only trophies in his room
      were for math.
      Sutcliffe thought a marathon was something “only a superhuman could do.” When he started running in 2003 as part of an exercise
      regimen, he referred to the activity as “jogging.”
      Sutcliffe’s sister Dianne had died about a year and a half previously. His father was terminally ill and Sutcliffe needed a routine
      and a distraction, so he decided to run a marathon in 2004 as a fundraiser for The Ottawa Hospital, where they both had been
      He raised $10,000. His plan when things got tough in the marathon: Remember the words: “Dianne, Dad, money.”
      Sutcliffe has since run 11 marathons and founded iRun magazine, which has given him the opportunity to interview runners from Ottawa
      Senators captain DanielAlfredsson to Minister of Defence Peter MacKay.
      Last week, (May 19, 2011) he released Why I Run, a book of some five dozen short stories about running and the runners he has met
      along the way.
      He wrote about running when it was so cold, icicles formed on his eyebrows (because “it’s enough to make me feel like I’ve conquered
      winter”), about being vomited on at the New York Marathon, and about the indefatigable nature of runners (octogenarian marathoner
      Betty Jean McHugh of North Vancouver says she doesn’t like “all the hubbub” and attributes her running longevity to the genes that
      gave her good health and good joints).
      Sutcliffe also ran into bestselling author and runner Malcolm Gladwell when he introduced Gladwell at an Ottawa United Way event in
      The two got to talking about running — Gladwell had won a number of local and provincial races in his early teens — and they agreed
      to meet for a run. “He left me in the dust,” says Sutcliffe. “He was very polite about it.”
      They have corresponded ever since. When Sutcliffe asked Gladwell to write an introduction to his book, he agreed.
      Gladwell started running at 12 “because I wanted to win races.” But he stalled at winning at the age of 15, and didn’t pick up
      running again in his 20s and 30s.
      “I was a miler as a kid, and to this day regard races at lengths greater than 10 kilometres to be acts of lunacy,” says Gladwell in
      his introduction. But he adds that while running can be difficult and painful, it can also be beautiful and satisfying.
      Sutcliffe says he never intended the book to be about training, but about personalities. Being a runner has changed the way he
      thought about himself.
      “It made me stronger than I ever thought I was. It sounds like a cliché, but you can do anything if you put your mind around it.
      I’ve become a runner even though I never expected to.”
      Why I Run is also available at Collected Works, 1242 Wellington St. Some of the proceeds from sales of the book will go to The
      Ottawa Hospital Foundation and the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of Canada.
      Buy the book at:

      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html and

      1. Marathoning and the Meniscus:
      Solutions and preventative measures to preserve the crucial cushioning in your knee.
      I am frequently asked questions about meniscus problems in the knee. The meniscus is a cartilage washer situated between the femur
      (thigh bone) and tibia (large shin bone); a meniscus is located on the inside (medial) and outside (lateral) aspects of each knee.
      The meniscus distributes the weight-bearing stress placed on the other type of cartilage in the knee (and in all joints), articular
      cartilage, which lines the end of each bone (think of the shiny material at the end of a chicken bone). The menisci (plural) also
      provide some stability within the knee, acting like bumpers. When you hear about a professional athlete having surgery for a
      cartilage tear in his knee, this usually refers to a meniscus injury. Significant bending and twisting of the knee may cause the
      meniscus to tear; injury occurs more easily with age. Think of the meniscus like a sponge — thick and pliable when it is new;
      thinner and friable as it ages. Less stress is required to damage a meniscus in an older athlete, known as a degenerative tear.
      More...from Running Times at:

      2. VO2max - The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com:
      ** Limits of VO2max
      Ever wonder what limits your VO2max? The most compelling research on what limits VO2max supports an oxygen supply (cardiovascular)
      limitation to the muscles. However, this answers the question from a "limit of human performance" perspective. Runners and coaches
      want to know what limits VO2max in each runner so we can understand how to improve it. This is a different question with a
      different answer. Runners with low or average VO2max values are not limited by oxygen supply but rather by a metabolic limitation
      to use the available oxygen. Several studies have found that breathing a greater amount of oxygen increases VO2max in athletic
      people, but VO2max does not increase when unfit people breathe more oxygen. Training appears to result in a shift of the limitation
      on the sliding scale-the more fit you become, the more you move away from a metabolic limitation to VO2max and the closer you move
      to an oxygen supply (cardiovascular) limitation. The implication of this is that progressive increases in mileage from month to
      month and year to year will improve VO2max by increasing the muscles' metabolic capacity. When you have achieved a high level of
      mileage, the intensity of training becomes more important to increase the cardiac factors (stroke volume, cardiac output)
      responsible for maximizing oxygen supply to the muscles.
      ** 101 Winning Racing Strategies
      My newest book, 101 Winning Racing Strategies, will be published in late 2011. Here's a preview:
      Strategy #20: Develop a Finishing Kick
      Many races come down to the final sprint at the end, whether you're trying to win the race or are running in the middle of the pack
      and just trying to beat your best friend. The last thing you want is to get passed in the final 200 meters of a race. It doesn't
      feel good. Spend some time in training developing a strong finishing kick. To develop your kick, try these workouts:
      (1) Run 3 to 4 x 800 to 1,000 meters at 3K (2-mile) race pace + 4 to 6 x 400 meters at mile race pace with a 1:1 work-to-rest ratio
      during the 800/1,000-meter portion of the workout and a 1:2 work-to-rest ratio during the 400-meter portion of the workout. For
      example, a runner who can run 5K in 17:00 should run 3 to 4 x 1,000 meters in 3:16 to 3:19 (5:14 to 5:19 pace) with 3:15 jog
      recovery + 4 to 6 x 400 meters in 73 to 74 seconds (4:54 pace) with 2:25 jog recovery.
      (2) Run in a group of runners with similar abilities at your racing distance (5K to 10K) at acidosis (lactate) threshold pace or
      slightly faster, with one runner being designated as the kicker (with only the coach and the kicker knowing who the kicker is). The
      kicker starts his or her kick at a pre-planned place on the course (far enough out from the finish to serve the purpose of an early
      kick). When the kicker kicks, it's his or her job to pull away from the pack and each of the other runners' job to try to stay with
      the kicker. To more closely simulate kicking off of race pace, you can run at race pace instead of acidosis threshold pace, with
      the distance of the run shortened from the racing distance. Make sure the kicker doesn't simply sprint away from everyone in the
      last 100 meters. This workout is about developing a kick that can begin as early as can be held, so it's better to run at 90
      percent for 600 meters than 100 percent for 100 meters.
      To view past newsletters go to: http://www.runcoachjason.com/newsletter
      Copyright Jason Karp All Rights Reserved - http://www.runcoachjason.com

      3. Seven ways to improve your running form:
      For those of us who have been running for a long time, our bodies have adapted to our running technique. I don’t advocate that
      people make drastic changes to their running form, but here are some tips to help avoid injury and achieve optimal performance.
      Look ahead. By looking about six metres in front of you, you will not only avoid tripping over speed bumps (it happens!) but you
      will also hold your head at the proper angle to keep your neck muscles relaxed. Looking straight down or gazing up at the sky causes
      stress and tension in your neck muscles, which will lead to stiffness after long runs.
      Keep your posture straight. Distance runners have a tendency to roll our shoulders forward. When we do this, we restrict our air
      intake capacity by closing in our chests and we put extra strain on our upper body muscles. We don’t have to run like Superman,
      sticking out our chest, but a good way to keep our posture erect is to roll back our shoulders on occasion during runs.
      More...from the Globe and Mail at:

      4. Some Exercise Is Better Than None: More Is Better to Reduce Heart Disease Risk:
      Even small amounts of physical activity will help reduce heart disease risk, and the benefit increases as the amount of activity
      increases, according to a quantitative review reported in Circulation, journal of the American Heart Association.
      People who engaged in 150 minutes of moderate-intensity leisure activity had a 14 percent lower risk of coronary heart disease (CHD)
      compared to those who reported no exercise or physical activity. At higher levels of activity, the relative risk of CHD was
      progressively lower. Researchers found that even people who got below the United States guidelines for physical activity, which
      recommends 2 hours and 30 minutes of moderate exercise per week, had a lower risk of CHD than those who had no activity.
      "The overall findings of the study corroborate federal guidelines -- even a little bit of exercise is good, but more is better --
      150 minutes of exercise per week is beneficial, 300 minutes per week will give even more benefits," said Jacob Sattelmair, ScD, of
      the Department of Epidemiology at the Harvard School of Public Health.
      More...from Science Daily at:

      5. Active-Isolated Flexibility with Phil Wharton:
      Phil Wharton, who has worked with some of the top runners in the world over the last 15 years, explains the science of flexibility
      and demonstrates a few key Active-Isolated stretches. For more about Wharton and Active-Isolated Flexibility, see our September 2011
      issue. (8:47)
      Watch the video at:

      6. Mind Games: So You Want to Get Faster?
      With the help of two pros, our columnist reconsiders his racing motives.
      I can go faster.
      You’ve said it. The guy next to you in T1 has said it. I’m signing up for a third Ironman (almost immediately after completing my
      second) because of it. I get out of bed every morning thinking it (right after “Why the hell am I up so early?”)
      After breaking through a pain barrier at Ironman Coeur d’Alene recently, I knew I was ready to take the next step in improving my
      performance. My desired PR time is so close now I could taste it as vividly as the chewable nutrition tablets I spit up during the
      marathon. So when I saw three elite triathletes set new world records in the span of a week last month, I had to know their secrets.
      I tracked down two of them, three-time Ironman World Champion Chrissie Wellington and nine-time Ironman winner Marino Vanhoenacker.
      More...from Lava Magazie at:

      7. Study Explains Why Muscles Weaken With Age and Points to Possible Therapy:
      Researchers at Columbia University Medical Center have discovered the biological mechanism behind age-related loss of muscle
      strength and identified a drug that may help reverse this process. Their findings were published in the August 2 online edition of
      Cell Metabolism.
      As we grow older, our skeletal muscles tend to wither and weaken, a phenomenon known as sarcopenia. Sarcopenia, which begins to
      appear at around age 40 and accelerates after 75, is a major cause of disability in the elderly. Exercise can help counter the
      effects of age-related muscle loss. Otherwise, there are no established treatments.
      According to the new study, conducted in mice, sarcopenia occurs when calcium leaks from a group of proteins in muscle cells called
      the ryanodine receptor channel complex. These leaks then trigger a chain of events that ultimately limits the ability of muscle
      fibers to contract, reports study leader Andrew R. Marks, M.D., chairman and professor of physiology and cellular biophysics, the
      Clyde and Helen Wu Professor of Medicine, and director of the Wu Center for Molecular Cardiology at Columbia University Medical
      Center (CUMC).
      More...from Science Daily at:

      8. Effects of synchronous music on treadmill running among elite triathletes:
      Music can provide ergogenic, psychological and psychophysical benefits during physical activity, especially when movements are
      performed synchronously with music.
      More...from NCBI at:

      9. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine:
      ** Chocolate Increases Endurance
      A recent symposium at the American College of Sports Medicine 58th Annual Meeting June 2, 2011 and other recent studies show that
      chocolate improves endurance training in mice and humans. Taking small amounts of a chocolate extract, called epicatechin, twice a
      day for two weeks shortened recovery from intense exercise and increased endurance in mice (Journal of Physiology, July 25, 2011).
      Drinking chocolate milk after all-out exercising helped athletes recover faster and cycle faster afterwards (Journal of Strength
      Conditioning Research, May 2011).
      These studies do not encourage you to take chocolate just before competitions. They show that chocolate helps you to recover faster
      from hard exercise, and that you may benefit from taking small amounts of chocolate daily during hard training.All athletic training
      is done by taking a harder workout on one day, feeling sore on the next and taking easier workouts for as many days as it takes for
      the soreness to go away. If you can recover faster, you can do more intense training and be a better athlete.
      Your body requires oxygen to convert food to energy to power your muscles during exercise. The limiting factor to how fast you can
      run or cycle, and how much force your muscles can generate, is the time it takes to move oxygen from your lungs into your muscles.
      The aim of all athletic training is to increase your body's ability to convert food to energy with the
      least amount of oxygen. Anything that increases oxygen supply or decreases oxygen needs will make you faster and stronger.
      Your muscles convert food to energy primarily in your mitochondria, small chambers numbering from a few to thousands inside your
      muscles. Anything that grows new mitochondria or enlarges existing ones will make you faster and stronger. The cocoa bean contains
      chemicals called epicatechins that stimulate your muscles to grow and produce mitochondria. It takes only small amounts, taken
      regularly, to do this.
      However, pure chocolate is very bitter, so manufacturers add huge amounts of sugar and saturated fats that should not be taken when
      you are not exercising. Eating refined sugar when you are not exercising causes a high rise in blood sugar that can damage every
      cell in your body and saturated fats from animals block insulin receptors to prevent insulin from clearing sugar from your
      bloodstream to raise blood sugar levels even higher.
      *You can eat small amounts of sweetened chocolate when you are exercising.
      *You should not eat sweetened chocolate when you are not exercising.
      *You can eat chocolate every day that you exercise, particularly on your intense exercise days.
      *You should take only small amounts as more is not more effective in hastening recovery. A reasonable daily amount would be about
      five grams of dark chocolate (1/6th of an ounce) per day.
      ** Muscle Loss with Aging
      As you age, it takes more effort and time to walk up stairs, mow the lawn, fix a faucet or wash the dishes. Tasks that you did
      without effort when you were younger can become major ordeals that leave you exhausted when you are older. Dr. Jerome Fleg, a
      cardiologist at the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, tested 800 men and women over several years and found that their
      ability to sustain exercise decreased rapidly as they aged. The older they became the faster they lost what researchers call aerobic
      capacity (Circulation, July 26, 2005). Aerobic capacity is a measure of your ability to use oxygen to do work. If your body can
      process more oxygen than that of another person, usually you will be able to run faster, walk or work longer, and have more energy
      than that person. The men and women lost three to six percent per decade in their 20's and 30's , and 20 percent per decade in their
      70's. The men lost aerobic capacity faster than the women. The men lost 8.3 percent of aerobic capacity in their 40's and 23 percent
      per decade in their 70's.
      This study was done with people who were healthy enough for vigorous exercise on a treadmill that measured their exercise capacity.
      People who have had heart attacks, strokes, diabetes or other wasting diseases would lose aerobic capacity much faster than healthy
      people. The results showed that a regular exercise program can increase exercise capacity by up to 25 percent, which would give the
      older participants the same exercise capacity as you would expect in people who are twenty years younger.
      The loss of aerobic capacity with aging explains why older people cannot compete effectively against younger ones in endurance
      events. The good news is that a regular exercise program can increase your maximum heart rate. By exercising regularly and
      vigorously, your will develop stronger skeletal muscles. When you contract your leg muscles, they squeeze against the veins in your
      legs and pump blood toward your heart. When your leg muscles relax, the veins dilate and fill with blood. This alternate contacting
      and relaxing pumps extra blood toward your heart. The extra blood returned to the heart stretches and strengthens the heart muscle,
      causing it to beat faster and with more force. So strengthening your leg muscles increases your maximum heart rate, even as you age.
      From Dr. Gabe Mirkin at:

      10. Triathlon's Extra Leg - Transitioning from Dry to Wet:
      A Q and A with some suggestions on how to take care of your feet (and other body parts) during your races.
      We all know the typical parts of a triathlon - swim, bike and run. Some athletes even consider the transition from swim to bike (T1)
      and bike to run (T2) as the fourth. But is there really a fifth part of the race to prepare for? Yes, we think there is! It's a
      different kind of race transition, one where your body moves between dry and wet, and it cycles throughout your race. It has the
      potential to impact your training, racing and even your body afterwards. Zeasorb, the #1 dermatologist-recommended powder, answers
      questions on how to protect your body during this part of the triathlon and offers quick solutions as your prepare for race day.
      More...from Ironman.com at:

      11.Interval Workouts 101: The Best Way to Get Faster:
      At some point in your running career, you may want to increase your running speed and performance. One of the most effective methods
      to do this is by interval training.
      What is Interval Training?
      Interval training can be useful for sprinters, middle-distance and long-distance runners; it is one of the most effective ways to
      increase running speed. Remember, if you are thinking about improving your speed it is important that you first establish a good
      running base. Intervals generally start out with short all-out efforts, followed by periods of recovery. The idea is to increase
      these all-out-effort periods slowly over time according to your running goals.
      More...from Active.com at:

      12. Top 10 Reasons Exercise Is Bad For You:
      There are people who need to exercise, and who absolutely benefit from exercise.
      Exercise has rescued obese individuals from a sedentary lifestyle, saved men and women from being ravaged by cardiovascular disease,
      and allowed for athletes to train their body to perform above and beyond normal capacity.
      But exercise also has a dark side - dangerous disadvantages that affect thousands of people each day, and those disadvantages can be
      summed up in these top 10 reasons exercise is bad for you.
      10. Exercise is addictive.
      Consistent exercise causes the body to produce endorphins, which are hormones secreted by your pituitary gland to block pain,
      decrease anxiety and create feelings of euphoric happiness. But endorphins are chemically similar to the drug morphine, and so for
      many people, compulsive exercise can be psychologically addictive. For regular exercisers, and especially for bodybuilders,
      triathletes, cyclists or marathoners, reducing or stopping exercise suddenly - or even missing one single workout - can result in
      depression, stress and anxiety.
      More...from TriFuel at:

      13. Build Running-Specific Core Stability:
      Great exercises to help you achieve true spinal stability.
      Picture yourself running hard. What do you see? Are your arms flailing all over the place? Is your trunk excessively rotating? Are
      your biomechanics breaking down? Or are your arms pumping like pistons back and forth with your legs powerfully propelling you
      forward with a strong, stable pelvis? The efficient mechanics in the latter scenario can be attributed to the integrated stabilizing
      system of a strong core. You've probably heard about how important a strong core is for good running, and you might devote
      significant time to strengthening your core. As American record-holder Shalane Flanagan, owner of an Olympic bronze medal and
      enviable form, says, "[This work] keeps my biomechanics correct during extended runs. With intense core stability exercises, I'd
      like to believe I don't break down in form as much as my competitors."
      But when you're doing your core strengthening work, are you making the best use of that time?
      More...from Running Times at:

      14. Pulled Muscles, Scar Tissue and Re-Injury:
      How does scar tissue affect recovery & re-injury of pulled muscles and sports injuries?
      Have you ever had an injury that just won't heal? And then when you think it has healed, you go and re-injure it again. You may have
      a problem with scar tissue.
      So you've pulled a muscle? Over-stretched it, torn it, strained it, sprained it. Call it what you want. From an injury point of
      view, the initial healing process is all the same.
      Sprains (ligament) and strains (muscle or tendon) are the most common type of soft tissue sports injury and are often caused by
      activities that require the muscles to stretch and contract at the same time. A lack of conditioning, flexibility and warm up can
      also contribute.
      While most people are well aware of the importance of applying the R.I.C.E. regime to a sprain or strain in the first 48 to 72
      hours, it's after this that most people get stuck. Let's start by having a look at what happens during those first 72 hours and then
      move onto what's needed for a full recovery.
      More...from The Stretching Handbook at:

      15. Digest Briefs
      This Week in Running:
      10 Years Ago- James Koskei's (KEN) 28:30 won the Greater Clarksburg (WV/USA) 10K, leading a Kenyan sweep of the
      first 12 places. Catherine Ndereba (KEN) and Gladys Asiba (KEN) went 1-2 in the women's race
      with 33:15 and 33:17 respectively. Eyerusalem Kuma (ETH was 3rd at 33:18.
      20 Years Ago- Boay Akonaay (TAN) won the Giro Podistico (Castelbuono ITA) 11.2K by four seconds over Andrew
      Masai (KEN), 33:11 to 33:15. Salvatore Bettiol (ITA) was third at 33:19 while Diamantino
      dosSantos (BRA) was 4th (33:44).
      30 Years Ago- Peter Butler won the Canadian 10000m title with a 28:57.11. Paul Williams claimed 2nd with a
      29:01.85 while William Britten was 3rd at 29:05.91. Two days later, Peter Butler completed the
      5/10 double with a 14:04.92 and Alison Wiley claimed the women's 3000m title with a 9:27.52.
      40 Years Ago- Frank Shorter (USA) won the PanAm Games (COL) 10000m in 28:50.8. Juan Martinez (MEX) got the
      silver medal (29:05.0) while Alvaro Mejia (COL) took the bronze medal (29:06.2). Shorter came
      back six days later to win the PanAm Games Marathon in 2:22:47.
      50 Years Ago- Brian Kilby won the English (AAA) Marathon title with a 2:24:37.0.
      60 Years Ago- Herbert Schade won the German 5000m title with a 14:19.6.
      From The Analytical Distance Runner, the newsletter for the Association of Road Racing Statisticians with a focus on races, 3000m
      and longer, including road, track, and cross-country events

      *Please verify event dates with the event websites available from our FrontPage (www.runnersweb.com)

      August 6, 2011:
      Atlanta's Finest 5K - GA

      Salinas Valley Half Marathon - Salinas, CA

      TD Banknorth Beach to Beacon 10K - Cape Elizabeth, ME

      August 7, 2011:
      Great Raisin River Footrace - Williamstown, ON

      La Sportiva 10K @ 10,000 Feet & 5K - Vail, CO

      (Inaugural) Rock 'n' Roll Providence Half-Marathon - RI

      Step Up for Cancer - Denver, CO

      Twins TC 4K - Minneapolis, MN

      September 17, 2011:
      Toronto 5K - ON

      October 16
      Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon - ON

      November 5, 2011
      Savannah Rock 'n' Roll Marathon - GA

      June 23, 2012
      Emilie's Run - Ottawa, ON

      mailto:runnersweb@yahoogroups.com and in our Runner's Web Forum,
      available off our FrontPage. If you post to the mailing list and
      mailto:webmaster@... to notify us of the problem. To update
      your Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the
      website at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RunnersWeb/join , sign in and
      update your changes.

      All revenue from advertisers and affiliate programs goes into the
      support of running and triathlon through sponsorship of events,
      teams, clinics and fund raising programs for Canada's Olympic athletes.

      This newsletter has been composed using Outlook set to "Text" format.
      The Digest is sent via an email list at
      If you experience any delays in receiving your copy of the Digest,
      please advise us at:
      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for viruses.
      Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor (me) prior to being
      released to the group. If you have any questions regarding
      the options available for receiving this digest,
      **[ Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two lines. If
      you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you paste
      the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or
      another appropriate suffix ].
      Note: An increasing number of media sites require free registration.
      If you wish to sign up for free access to sources for our
      articles without using your main email address we suggest the use of a
      mail alias program such as http://www.emailias.com.