Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest - April 1, 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2011
      those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out
      our daily news, features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more. General questions should be posted to one of our forums available
      from our FrontPage.

      1. Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women - Canada's Fastest Women's 5K Emilie's Run is over for another year.
      Emily Tallen of Kingston won the race in 16:36.2 after finishing second twice and third once in the past three years. Race reports,
      photos and a video are available at the race website. The 2011 race will be run on June 25th. For more on the race visit the website
      at: http://www.emiliesrun.com.

      3. Toronto Waterfront Marathon, October 16, 2011
      *New Date*
      The fastest men's and women's marathon on Canadian soil!
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/STWM_Transporter.html

      4. Goodlife Fitness Toronto Marathon - May 15, 2011
      *Note the date change to the spring starting in 2011*
      http://www.torontomarathon.com/
      Register Now~
      Set a PB!
      Registration is now open for May 15th, 2011! Our first spring event! Great Karbon shirts, our huge medals, and one of the best carbo
      dinners around. Our course is scenic, fast, and with a net downhill ensures a fast time. You'll be supported by over 1500 volunteers
      and thousands
      of spectators as you run the streets of Toronto.
      We've reduced our entry fees until the end of this month so don't miss this great opportunity by registering now! Click here.
      https://torontomarathon.com/registration/register_single.cgi

      5. Training Peaks
      The Runner's Web has partnered with Training Peaks to provide online
      coaching from experts such as Hal Higdon, Joel Friel and Matt
      Fitzgerald. Sign up at:
      https://home.trainingpeaks.com/create-account-personal-edition.aspx?af=RunnersWeb

      6. iRun Magazine
      iRun is Canada's highest-circulation and most popular running magazine. With a total distribution of 50,000 and more than 9,000
      subscribers, iRun is leading the market in the rapidly growing and highly desirable demographic of Canadian runners.
      http://www.irun.ca/

      9. TreadmillReviews.net
      "An ultimate running resource that writes reviews on treadmills for
      almost every make and model out there. High quality reviews that
      really go above and beyond to make your treadmill hunting easy."
      http://www.treadmillreviews.net/

      ASSOCIATIONS:
      The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional
      Organization for the Running Industry.
      http://www.runningusa.org/

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS: Check the "New Subscribers' note at the bottom of the
      newsletter

      Add the Runner's Web News feed to your site through a simple
      JavaScript. Check out OnTri.com's implementation at:
      http://www.ontri.com/runnersweb.html
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is now available

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet
      Explorer from the link on our FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com .

      TWITTER
      Follow us on Twitter at:
      http://twitter.com/runnersweb

      FACEBOOK
      I've created a Runner's Web Group on Facebook. To join the Runner's Web Facebook group, if you are not a member of Facebook, you

      If anyone is looking for a web mail provider, you might wish to consider Google's GMail. You can now sign up for free Gmail at
      Google WITHOUT AN INVITATION at: www.gmail.com

      The Runner's Web has partnered with Training Peaks to provide online coaching from experts such as Hal Higdon, Joel Friel and Matt
      Fitzgerald. Sign up at:
      https://home.trainingpeaks.com/create-account-personal-edition.aspx?af=RunnersWeb

      Event directors, add your event to our Event Calendar at:
      http://runnersweb.mhsoftware.com/

      Watch live and webcast of Track and Field and Road races on Universal Sports
      Sign up at:
      http://www.universalsports.com//SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23000&KEY=&SPID=13055&SPSID=105551

      We have 2673 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe at:

      ROAD RUNNER SPORTS
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/Mobile_RRS.html

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey. Sheila is one of Ottawa's top
      multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public Health and works in the field of
      nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the University of California, San Diego. Her column index is available at:

      * Peak Running Performance Peak Running Is The Nation's Most Advanced
      Running Newsletter. Rated as the #1 Running Publication by Road Runner Sports (Worlds Largest Running Store) , Peak Running caters
      to the serious / dedicated runner. Delivering world class running advice are some of running's most recognizable athletes including
      Dr. Joe Vigil (US Olympic Coach), Scott Tinley (2 Time Ironman Champ) Steve Scott (3 Time Olympian) and many more. This bi-monthly
      newsletter has been around for over 13 years, and in the past two it has been awarded the "Golden Shoe Award" in recognition of it's
      outstanding achievements.

      * Running Research News: RRN's free, weekly, training update provides subscribers with the most-current, practical, scientifically
      based information about training, sports nutrition, injury prevention, and injury rehabilitation. The purpose of this weekly e-zine
      is to improve subscribers' training quality and to help them train in an injury-free manner. Running Research News also publishes a
      complete, 12-page, electronic newsletter 10 times a year (one-year subscriptions are $35); to learn more about Running Research
      News, please see the Online Article Index and "About Running Research News" sections below or go to RRNews.com. Check out the
      article index at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RRN_index.html

      community. We have NO personal postings this week.

      THIS WEEK'S DIGEST ARTICLE INDEX:

      1. Supervised Weight Training Safe for Pregnant Women, Study Suggests
      2. Do All Student Athletes Need Heart Screenings?
      3. Put Those Shoes On: Running Won't Kill Your Knees
      4. The Nagging Shin Splints
      5. The Principles of Training: Putting the Pieces Together
      6. Workout Of The Week: The Mixed Bag
      7. How to Prevent Stress Fractures - Part II
      8. Does resistance training harm young athletes?
      9. What the Circus Can Teach Us About Sports Injuries
      10. 'Mad Scientist' Salazar Charts a New Course
      11. Six Training Tips to Help You Speed Up
      12. Endless Season Training
      13. Workouts to Improve Lactate Clearing Rates
      14. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine

      Which of the following running (athletics) movies have you seen?
      Chariots of Fire
      Golden Girl
      Marathon Man
      Prefontaine
      Personal Best
      Running Brave
      Without Limits
      St. Ralph
      The Jericho Mile
      None of the above

      PREVIOUS POLL RESULTS:
      If you are unable to run, what do you do?
      Answers Percent Votes
      1 Cycle 18% 54
      2 Pool run 13% 38
      3 Swim 13% 39
      4 Row 11% 32
      5 Use elliptical trainer 13% 40
      6 XC ski 10% 31
      7 Other 12% 37
      8 Watch TV 10% 31
      Total Votes: 302

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage (http://www.runnersweb.com) as well as checking the results of previous polls.

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE MONTH:
      Hillary Biscay, Ironman Champion
      Hillary Biscay is the most prolific iron-distance competitor on the professional women’s racing circuit. In 2006, she set a standard
      in Ironman racing by becoming the first person to record six top-five Ironman finishes in one season. Hillary set another precedent
      in 2008 by winning her first ironman title at Ironman Wisconsin in a unique fashion: this was her eighth iron-distance race of the
      year, just one week after she placed fourth at Ironman Louisville. Additionally, this “double” followed just a few weeks after her
      first one, when she became the first professional woman to complete back-to-back iron-distance events. In that instance, she
      finished sixth at the Quelle Challenge Roth (Germany), and then followed this performance just a week later with a third-place
      finish at Ironman Lake Placid, after holding the overall lead of the race for over nine hours.
      In 2010, after completing 8 ironmans during the season, Hillary took on a new challenge at the Ultraman World Championships in
      Hawaii. She finished second and recorded the fastest women’s Ultraman debut in history, while also finishing over an hour under the
      21-year-old course record time. Hillary also owns the women’s swim course record with a time of 2 hours 20 minutes for 6.2 miles.
      Visit her site at:
      http://hillarybiscay.com/wordpress/

      BOOK/VIDEO/MOVIE OF THE MONTH:
      Breathe Strong, Perform Better
      Breathe Strong, Perform Better explains how anyone, from everyday exercisers to elite athletes, can use breathing training to
      increase power and comfort, improve performance, accelerate recovery, and reduce injury risk. With easy-to-use programs and
      sport-specific workouts, this is your guide to achieving efficient breathing and peak fitness
      Buy the book from Human Kinetics at:
      http://www.humankinetics.com/products/showproduct.cfm?associate=880&isbn=9780736091695

      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html and

      1. Supervised Weight Training Safe for Pregnant Women, Study Suggests:
      Despite decades of doctors' reluctance to recommend weight training to pregnant women, a new University of Georgia study has found
      that a supervised, low-to-moderate intensity program is safe and beneficial.
      The research, published in the current edition of the Journal of Physical Activity and Health, measured progression in the amount of
      weight used, changes in resting blood pressure and potential adverse side effects in 32 pregnant women over a 12-week period. After
      a total of 618 exercise sessions, none of the pregnant women in the study experienced a musculoskeletal injury.
      "Doctors often have been unwilling to prescribe weightlifting, in part, because there was little evidence that it is safe and
      effective," said Patrick O'Connor, a researcher in the department of kinesiology in the UGA College of Education. "I think that the
      appropriate conclusion of this study is that the adoption of a supervised, low-to-moderate intensity weight-lifting exercise program
      can be safe for women with a low-risk pregnancy."
      More...from Science Daily at:
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/03/110325151651.htm

      2. Do All Student Athletes Need Heart Screenings?
      Parents may be wondering if enough is being done to identify athletes at risk for dying suddenly. In response, some communities have
      started programs to perform more extensive heart testing, including electrocardiograms. Yet an American Heart Association task force
      does not support such community programs due to a lack of evidence that they are able to reduce the number of sudden deaths.
      Seemingly every year there are reports of a young, apparently healthy athlete dying on the court or playing field. The sudden death
      of Wes Leonard, a junior at Fennville High School, who died of cardiac arrest from an enlarged heart on March 3, may have parents
      and coaches wondering if enough is being done to identify athletes at risk for dying suddenly.
      "We would like to develop a better screening program to help prevent sudden cardiac death, but there is not enough rigorous data to
      support what that should look like," says Sanjaya Gupta, M.D., clinical lecturer in the Division of Electrophysiology at the
      University of Michigan Health System.
      More...from Science Daily at:
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/03/110323103920.htm

      3. Put Those Shoes On: Running Won't Kill Your Knees:
      Yes, it's true: Jogging, long thought to hurt knees with all that pounding and rattling around, may actually be beneficial for the
      complex and critical joint. There are caveats, though, especially for people who have suffered significant knee injury or are
      overweight. But for the most part, researchers say, jogging for your health seems like a good idea.
      David Felson, a researcher and epidemiologist at Boston University School of Medicine, says past concern about jogging and knees
      centered on the continuous impact of the foot to the ground and suggestion that it caused degeneration of the knee and the onset of
      osteoarthritis. But when researchers actually studied the impact of running on knees, he says, that's not what they found.
      "We know from many long-term studies that running doesn't appear to cause much damage to the knees," he says. "When we look at
      people with knee arthritis, we don't find much of a previous history of running, and when we look at runners and follow them over
      time, we don't find that their risk of developing osteoarthritis is any more than expected." Both types of studies agree, says
      Felson, that recreational running doesn't increase the risk of arthritis.
      'Running Is Healthy For The Joint'
      In one study, Swedish researchers found that exercise, including jogging, may even be beneficial. Felson describes how researchers
      took one group of people at risk of osteoarthritis and had them engage in exercise, including jogging. The other group didn't
      exercise. After imaging the joints of the participants in both study groups, they found that the biochemistry of cartilage actually
      appeared to improve in those participants who were running. Felson says that suggests that "running is actually healthy for the
      joint."
      More...from NPR at:
      http://www.npr.org/2011/03/28/134861448/put-those-shoes-on-running-wont-kill-your-knees

      4. The Nagging Shin Splints:
      Shin splints can stop you in your tracks in your training program. Technically known as tibial stress syndrome, shin splits cause
      dull, aching pain on the front side of your shins. Shin splints are inflammation of the periostium of the tibia (sheath surrounding
      the bone). There can be a number of reasons why shin splits are caused and I will go over a few:
      1. Overuse and bad programming. This is probably the number one reason people have shin splints. Anything with "stress" in the
      diagnosis means you over did an activity. Your body was not prepared to handle the stress of the activity so inflammation happened.
      If your body is not prepared to run (usually the sport where shin splits occur), tibial stress syndrome will arise quickly. You must
      program your training wisely. Bad programming will definitely lead to shin splints because your body could not handle the high
      volume too quickly thus leading to overuse and injury.
      2. Poor ankle mobility. When running your ankles need adequate range of motion. You need to be able to dorsi-flex freely (bring your
      foot up towards your shin). Poor ankle mobility will stress the shins each time you strike the ground during running. A simple drill
      for increased ankle mobility is to elevate your foot on a platform and drive your knee over your toes.
      More...from TriFuel at:
      http://www.trifuel.com/training/health-nutrition/the-nagging-shin-splints

      5. The Principles of Training: Putting the Pieces Together:
      Ok, so you have read the two previous articles and the Glossary of Terminology what do you do now? You have a basic understanding of
      the physiology and how you can become more efficient (faster and stronger) so you can either go and try out our Training programmes
      here on the site or you can write your own schedule. Before you do that however there are some principles that you should follow
      when drawing up your training programme incorporating all the different types of training previously explained:
      If you are new to speed work then it is important that you build up your endurance first and you should add these elements in the
      following order: long runs, hills and fartlek (this is a great introduction to the more formal approach of disciplined speed work)
      ~ Add one new element of training at a time. Once your body has adapted to that new element (usually 3-4 weeks) then you can add
      another element.
      ~ Limit yourself to two hard runs per week e.g one hill session and one speed session. I am not including your one long run per week
      as a hard session as it should be regarded as recovery.
      ~ If you are approaching a race or simply want to get faster then drop the hill session and introduce another speed session. Don't
      do two speed sessions that are the same eg. do an Interval session and then a Tempo session.
      ~ Your total weekly distance you do in speed training should only be 10% of you total eg 30 miles for the week should include only 3
      miles of speed work.
      ~ You should design your speed work to suit the type of race that you want to do eg shorter faster distances if you are doing a 5k
      and longer distances for 10k and upwards.
      ~ Do Not forget your rest days. All your hard work will be undone if you do not recover!
      ~ If you start to feel sluggish, irritable, have aches and pains or have trouble sleeping then you need to cut back as these are
      signs of over training.
      More...from Running4Women at:
      http://www.running4women.com/the-principles-of-training-putting-the-pieces-together/

      6. Workout Of The Week: The Mixed Bag:
      Can’t decide between hill repeats, an interval session, or a tempo run? Try rolling them all into one workout!
      Written by: Mario Fraioli
      Variety, it’s said, is the spice of life. It’s also a good way to spice up the same old boring workouts you do week in and week out.
      Runners are creatures of habit: track workout on Tuesday, hill repeats on Thursday and maybe a tempo run or race on the weekend. I
      don’t know about you, but after a month or two of cycling through the same set of sessions, I’m more motivated to plop my ass on the
      couch and watch cartoons on Saturday morning rather than head out for yet another 5-mile tempo run around the neighborhood.
      So how do you break out of this workout rut? Get creative by combining a few of your favorite sessions into one cover-all-your-bases
      butt-kicker of a workout. I like to call it the Mixed Bag. This session will do wonders for 5K runners, marathoners and everyone in
      between.
      More...from Competitor Magazine at:
      http://running.competitor.com/2011/03/training/workout-of-the-week-the-mixed-bag_23180

      7. How to Prevent Stress Fractures - Part II:
      Few injuries have as much negative impact on a runner’s training program than a stress fracture. The treatment involves the
      cessation of running for six to eight weeks (12 – 15 weeks in severe cases) to allow the bone to heal. Stress fractures affect
      elite and recreational runners alike. Women’s marathon record holder Paula Radcliffe has suffered several stress fractures
      throughout her career. We know runners whose marathon times range from 3:20 to 4:40 who have all suffered stress fractures.
      Research studies shed light on the biomechanical factors that increase your predisposition to stress fractures, the differences
      between female and male runners that suffer stress fractures and a simple exercise or change to your training that you can implement
      to reduce your stress fracture risk.
      What is a stress fracture?
      A stress fracture is a partial or incomplete bone fracture caused by repetitive stress. This is in contrast to most bone fractures
      which are caused by a single severe trauma. Two of the more common stress fractures sites for runners are the tibia and
      metatarsals.
      More...from IAWR at:
      http://www.iawr-connect.com/injury-prevention/preventstressfractures/

      8. Does resistance training harm young athletes?
      How young is too young?
      The other week, I received an email from a curious parent asking me for my opinions regarding strength training for their 12
      year-old girl who plays basketball. The dad was concerned because the team coach had commenced some weight training with the girls.
      This email raises a topic that seems to polarise opinions but when we look at the science, it probably shouldn’t. It is a common
      misconception that youths should not perform resistance training. This has, in part, come from a belief that lifting weights can
      injure the developing body, particularly the bones’ growth plates. In fact, resistance training actually helps increase a
      youngster’s resilience to injury.
      The fact that it may improve performance is, of course, a great side effect, but the improved physical robustness that would come as
      a result of a well structured resistance programme is the most important thing.
      So how young is too young? The peak body for strength and conditioning professionals in Australia, the ASCA, has stated that “if a
      child is ready to participate in structured sports, they are generally ready to perform a supervised resistance training programme”.
      Obviously, technique is the most important thing to stress, not the amount of weight on the end of the bar.
      "Resistance training actually helps increase a youngster’s resilience to injury."
      For the skeletally immature athlete (particularly if they are non-elite with a limited training history), performing maximal lifts
      should be discouraged because it takes hundreds, if not thousands, of repetitions to perfect a lifting technique.
      For the child that has no resistance training experience, the exercise emphasis should be a modification of body weight exercises
      (squats with broomsticks, shoulder press with resistance bands etc). As she improves, simple free-weight exercises could be
      progressed to. Again, however, technique will be key.
      In terms of the risks, youth weightlifting has actually been shown to have a lower injury rate than most other popular sports. The
      major risk for injury comes from poor technique or when the child is not emotionally mature enough to accept and follow direction.
      This is why any resistance training session should be carefully structured and closely supervised by a qualified and experienced
      coach.
      My reply to the child’s parents was essentially a summary of these points: I think that sport plays a very important role in a young
      girl’s development and any intervention that reduces injury and increases muscular, connective tissue and bone strength needs to be
      seen as a positive one. Performing some carefully supervised resistance training will go a long way to prevent injuries and
      therefore allow more time to be spent training and competing.
      I did go on to emphasise the fact that coaching technique and skill development at this age is probably the most important training
      strategy, but that resistance training could still form a part of a practice routine and that it does not have to be the sole focus
      of an entire session.
      Teaching young girls how to jump and land properly, how to squat and lunge well, and how to lift without stressing the lumbar spine
      are all skills that are fundamental to injury-free performance throughout a sporting life, and the earlier we can get kids using the
      right patterns, the better.
      From Peak Performance online.
      Subscribe at:
      http://www.pponline.co.uk/

      9. What the Circus Can Teach Us About Sports Injuries:
      Can the tears of a clown contribute to the twisted ankle of a clown? According to an offbeat new study of the psychological
      underpinnings of sports injuries, the answer is a guarded yes, depending on just what occasioned those tears.
      For the study, appearing in the April issue of The British Journal of Sports Medicine, researchers turned to a unique population of
      47 athletes. Each had been, until recently, an elite competitor in gymnastics, trampoline, swimming or diving. But all were now
      retired from competition and hoping to join the circus. They had, in fact, entered a rigorous, specialized training program that
      could, if they succeeded, earn them a slot in a Cirque du Soleil troupe.
      Cirque du Soleil shows are exemplars of the modern theatrical circus, with the human body providing the magic, in lieu of elephants.
      Performers tumble, clown, dangle, contort and dance. “It requires great athleticism,” said Madeleine Hallé, a senior performance
      psychologist with Cirque du Soleil.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/30/what-the-circus-can-teach-us-about-sports-injuries/

      10. 'Mad Scientist' Salazar Charts a New Course:
      On a recent afternoon, runner Galen Rupp stood semi-naked inside the tall metal cylinder with only his head poking out, nitrogen
      mist enveloping his head.
      This was the newest technology tried by Alberto Salazar, the latest in a list that over the years has included software developed in
      Russian that uses sensors to analyze a body's readiness to perform, vibrating platforms, anti-gravity treadmills, underwater
      treadmills, and tents that strap over beds to create conditions of altitude.
      "I should have brought my Mad Scientist lab coat," Salazar said with a grin to a visitor on a recent overcast morning in Oregon as
      Rupp stretched to the side of the running track.
      Rupp, 24, was preparing for his debut in the half-marathon in New York City on Sunday. He will be one of three athletes competing
      from Salazar's training group at the Nike facility in Oregon, along with 32-year-old Kara Goucher, who is making her return from
      pregnancy, and British runner Mo Farah.
      They will be competing against a stiff field that includes three athletes from another prominent American running group, the Mammoth
      Track Club, led by Meb Keflezighi, and the 2010 New York City Marathon winners Edna Kiplagat and Gebre Gebremariam.
      More...from the Wall Street Journal at:
      http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704608504576208603331861950.html

      11. Six Training Tips to Help You Speed Up:
      Running faster is within your reach—it's not just for the genetically gifted. Sometimes, the simplest things can hold you back, like
      how you eat, sleep and think. Of course, you have to put in some quality training. But many runners are surprised to learn that what
      they do outside of their workouts makes a big difference in how fast they go. Use these six simple training strategies to speed
      up—and impress yourself—in no time.
      #1 Way to Run Faster: Be Efficient
      In our busy lives, we have to balance work, home life and personal time. Often when running late, the first thing skipped is our
      workout. Skipped workouts lead to inconsistency, which can impede your progress. Set yourself up for success by having everything
      ready to go for your workout. Each night, assemble a workout bag with your running gear, water bottle and recovery snack. In the
      morning, grab it and go!
      More...from Active.com at:
      http://tinyurl.com/6a748af

      12. Endless Season Training:
      ASICS Aggies coach Joe Rubio describes how to be race-ready throughout the year.
      Listen to the podcast at:
      http://tinyurl.com/4zruzqy

      13. Workouts to Improve Lactate Clearing Rates:
      Moving beyond tempo runs to help you hold a faster race pace for longer.
      Ask most runners what causes fatigue, and the answer is almost always lactic acid, or its scientific cousin lactate. The mere
      mention of the word conjures up memories of intense pain, struggle, and the infamous butt lock during the final stretch of a race.
      Contrary to popular belief, however, lactate is a runner's friend, not foe. Instead of being an evil substance that causes the
      elephant to jump on your back in the finishing stretch of a race, lactate is a key fuel source when you run fast.
      What gives lactate its bad reputation? As you run faster, your rate of lactate production and consumption rises, but as a
      well-trained runner, you can "clear" the lactate as quickly as you produce it. At some point, however, either because of running
      faster or because of holding a fast pace for too long, you produce more lactate than you can clear from your bloodstream. When this
      happens, the hydrogen ions associated with producing lactate turn off the enzymes used to produce energy and may interfere with your
      uptake of calcium. As a result, your muscles' ability to contract is reduced and you're forced to slow. In other words, all the
      sensations commonly associated with "lactic acid" appear when you can no longer process lactate as quickly as you produce it.
      Tempo runs and cruise intervals are the traditional training means to address this issue. By improving your ability to clear or
      tolerate lactate as it's increasingly produced, these training strategies allow you to sustain a faster pace for longer. While
      conventional tempo runs and cruise intervals work fine, elite coaches and Kenyan athletes have added a new wrinkle that may help
      runners increase the use of lactate during a race and therefore help clear it and all the corresponding fatiguing products out much
      quicker.
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=22359

      14. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine:
      ** Deep Muscle Soreness after Prolonged, Intense Exercise
      You should stop exercising for several days when you feel deep muscle soreness after very long exhaustive exercise such as running
      a marathon (26 miles), cycling a century (100
      miles), going on a very long hike or lifting heavy weights repeatedly for a long time. Prolonged deep muscle soreness after
      running a long distance very fast is characterized by severe damage to the muscle fibers themselves. The muscle fibers are torn,
      the cell membranes are ruptured and the internal content of cells leak outside into the surrounding tissue (J Neuro Sci
      1983;59:185-203). Of course, you do not need to stop exercising for the mild muscle soreness that you feel after a normal hard
      workout.
      The deep muscle soreness that follows hard running is far less likely to occur in cyclists, swimmers or athletes in other sports
      because running causes eccentric contractions, while swimming and cycling usually do not. Muscles move your body by pulling on
      bones when they shorten. However if your sport forces muscles to lengthen when they contract, the severe force on the muscles caused
      by eccentric contractions (stretching during contraction) tears the fibers and ruptures the membranes. When you run fast,
      particularly down hills, your thigh muscles try to keep the knee and hip from bending excessively when your heel hits the ground,
      and they are stretched and torn.
      The severe soreness from muscle damage is virtually always reversible, will almost always heal completely without treatment, and is
      part of the training process. Mild casual
      exercise does not help you to heal faster, so you might just as well curtail your running for a few days until the soreness lessens.
      You should not resume intense exercise until the soreness disappears completely.
      Highly trained, competitive athletes will recover faster by eating a diet rich in protein and carbohydrates. However,
      less-conditioned people with muscle soreness will only gain
      weight if they increase food consumption.
      Although many athletes believe that massage, stretching, or cross training help to relieve deep muscle soreness, scientific research
      has failed to prove that they actually hasten
      the recovery process.
      ** Loss of strength with aging
      The older you become, the more you need to exercise. Researchers at Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania measured grip strength
      in older men at baseline and an average of seven years later (Aging Male, September-December 2005). The men squeezed a machine that
      measured the force that they could exert. They lost 20 percent of their grip strength in seven years. The older they were, the more
      they lost. Those who lost the most height or weight, those on calcium channel blockers for high blood pressure, and those who took
      in the most caffeine had greater losses of strength. Loss of height is linked to osteoporosis, which is associated with loss of
      muscle. High blood pressure and unintentional weight loss indicate other health problems. No explanation was offered for the
      association of caffeine with loss of muscle strength.
      These results are expected. Muscles are made of millions of individual muscle fibers. A single nerve innervates each fiber. With
      aging, a person loses nerve fibers that cause loss of each connected muscle fiber. However, you can continue to build strength in
      the remaining muscle fibers into your 90's and beyond. Perhaps all people over 50 should get a stress electrocardiogram as a
      screening test to see if exercise is likely to harm them. If they pass the test, they should start or continue an exercise program
      that includes some form of strength training such as lifting weights or using strength-training machines.
      ** Neuroma (Pinched nerve between foot bones)
      A neuroma is a swollen or damaged nerve that runs between the bones that your toes attach to on the foot, most commonly between the
      third and fourth toes. Neuroma can be caused by tight shoes, repetitive stress or trauma.
      The most common symptoms of neuromas are cramping, tingling, or numbness. Sometimes these symptoms can go from the ball of the foot
      to the toes or from the ball of the foot to the ankle. Feeling like a sock is bunched up can also be a sign of a neuroma. Tight
      shoes usually aggravate symptoms. However, any kind of bending of the toes or stepping the wrong way when barefoot can also cause
      the same symptoms. If the neuroma becomes large enough, it may cause a clicking sensation or a lump in the ball of the foot.
      Podiatrists use sonography of the foot to confirm the diagnosis and to aid in the location of the nerve damage so that treatment can
      be directed at the exact location of trouble. Early treatments include:
      • Roomier or specially constructed shoes
      • Orthotics (inserts) for the shoes
      • Anti-inflammatory medicines
      • Cortisone injections
      • Alcohol sclerosing injections
      If these methods fail, then surgery may be suggested to remove damaged nerve tissue. However, we have been using dehydrated alcohol
      injected into the nerve (with ultrasonic guidance when indicated) to chemically destroy the nerve without surgery. More at:

      From Dr. Gabe Mirkin at:
      http://www.drmirkin.com

      15. Digest Briefs:
      ** This Week in Running:
      10 Years Ago- Paula Radcliffe (ENG) won the IAAF World Cross Championships (BEL) 7.7K by three
      seconds over Getenesh Wami (ETH). The bronze medal went to Kenya's Lydia Cheromei.
      In the men's short course, Enock Koech (KEN) defeated 18 year-old Kenenisa Bekele
      (ETH) by two seconds with Benjamin Limo (KEN) getting the bronze. The next day's
      men's gold medal went to Mohamed Mourhit (BEL) who dropped Sergey Lebed (UKR) by
      10 seconds and Charles Kamathi (KEN) by 12 seconds. In the short course women's
      race, Wami reversed the table on Radcliffe by one second while Edith Masai (KEN)
      collected the bronze.
      20 Years Ago- Khalid Skah (MAR) won the IAAF World Cross Championships (BEL) 11.8K in a close
      three runner finish against Moses Tanui (KEN) and Simon Karori (KEN). Lynn Jennings
      (USA) had a three second margin over Derartu Tulu (ETH) to take the gold medal in
      the women's 6.4K race. Liz McColgan (SCO) took the bronze medal, just one second
      behind Tulu.
      30 Years Ago- Craig Virgin (USA) won the IAAF World Cross Championships (ESP) 12K by two seconds
      over Mohamed Kedir (ETH) with bronze medalist Fernando Mamede (POR) another two
      seconds back. Grete Waitz (NOR) won the women's 4.4K race by a wide 15 second margin
      over Jan Merrill (USA) with Elena Sipatova (RUS) who was in a virtual tie with Merrill
      but relegated to the bronze medal.
      40 Years Ago- Kerry O'Brien (AUS) won a two mile in Auckland NZL with a 8:25.6. Dick Quax (NZL) was
      2nd at 8:28.8 while miler Jim Ryun (USA) was a distant 3rd at 8:41.4.
      50 Years Ago- Basil Heatley (ENG) won the World Cross Championships (FRA) 14.5K by 24 seconds over
      Antonio Amoros (ESP). The bronze medal went to Martin Hyman (ENG), another ten seconds
      back.
      60 Years Ago- Sidney Luyt won the South African marathon title in 2:35:42.2.
      From The Analytical Distance Runner, the newsletter for the Association of Road Racing Statisticians with a focus on races, 3000m
      and longer, including road, track, and cross-country events.

      *Please verify event dates with the event websites available from our FrontPage (www.runnersweb.com)

      April 2, 2011:
      Cooper River Bridge Run 10K - Charleston, SC

      Hervis Prague Half Marathon - CZE

      Ukrop's Monument Avenue 10K - Richmond, VA

      April 3, 2011:
      Carlsbad 5000 - Carlsbad, CA
      Home of the 5K World Records

      Challenge Obesity 5K - St. Paul, MN

      Covenant Health Knoxville Marathon - TN

      More Magazine | Fitness Magazine Women's Half - NY, NY

      June 19, 2011:
      Do It For Dad - Ottawa, ON
      http://www.doitfordad.ca/

      June 19, 2011:
      Do It For Dad - Ottawa, ON
      http://www.doitfordad.ca

      June 25, 2011:
      Emilie's Run
      www.EmiliesRun.com

      mailto:runnersweb@yahoogroups.com and in our Runner's Web Forum,
      available off our FrontPage. If you post to the mailing list and
      mailto:webmaster@... to notify us of the problem. To update
      your Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the
      website at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RunnersWeb/join , sign in and
      update your changes.

      Ken

      Ken Parker
      www.RunnersWeb.com
      mailto:kparker@...
      613-746-4053
      http://www.OACRacingTeam.com
      http://www.EmiliesRun.com

      RUNNER'S WEB AFFILIATE PROGRAMS:
      If you experience any delays in receiving your copy of the Digest,
      please advise us at:
      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for viruses.
      Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor (me) prior to being
      released to the group. If you have any questions regarding
      the options available for receiving this digest,
      mailto:Webmaster@...
      *NOTE*
      **[ Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two lines. If
      you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you paste
      the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or
      another appropriate suffix ].
      Note: An increasing number of media sites require free registration.
      If you wish to sign up for free access to sources for our
      articles without using your main email address we suggest the use of a
      mail alias program such as http://www.emailias.com.

      *** END OF RUNNER'S AND TRIATHLETE'S WEB DIGEST...***