Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest - February 4, 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2011
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is a weekly e-zine dealing with the
      sports of running and triathlon and general fitness and
      health issues. The opinions expressed in the articles referenced by the
      Digest are the opinions of the writers and not necessarily
      those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at
      http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily. Check
      out
      our daily news, features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more. General
      questions should be posted to one of our forums available
      from our FrontPage.

      SUPPORT OUR ADVERTISERS: All of the revenue from our advertisers and
      affiliates goes to support clubs, athletes and clinics related
      to multisport and Canadian Olympians.

      1. Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women - Canada's
      Fastest Women's 5K Emilie's Run is over for another year.
      Emily Tallen of Kingston won the race in 16:36.2 after finishing second
      twice and third once in the past three years. Race reports,
      photos and a video are available at the race website. The 2011 race will be
      run on June 25th. For more on the race visit the website
      at: http://www.emiliesrun.com.

      3. Toronto Waterfront Marathon, October 16, 2011
      *New Date*
      The fastest men's and women's marathon on Canadian soil!
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/STWM_Transporter.html

      4. Goodlife Fitness Toronto Marathon - May 15, 2011
      *Note the date change to the spring starting in 2011*
      http://www.torontomarathon.com/
      Register Now~
      Set a PB!
      Registration is now open for May 15th, 2011! Our first spring event! Great
      Karbon shirts, our huge medals, and one of the best carbo
      dinners around. Our course is scenic, fast, and with a net downhill ensures
      a fast time. You'll be supported by over 1500 volunteers
      and thousands
      of spectators as you run the streets of Toronto.
      We've reduced our entry fees until the end of this month so don't miss this
      great opportunity by registering now! Click here.
      https://torontomarathon.com/registration/register_single.cgi

      5. Training Peaks
      The Runner's Web has partnered with Training Peaks to provide online
      coaching from experts such as Hal Higdon, Joel Friel and Matt
      Fitzgerald. Sign up at:
      https://home.trainingpeaks.com/create-account-personal-edition.aspx?af=RunnersWeb

      6. iRun Magazine
      iRun is Canada's highest-circulation and most popular running magazine. With
      a total distribution of 50,000 and more than 9,000
      subscribers, iRun is leading the market in the rapidly growing and highly
      desirable demographic of Canadian runners.
      http://www.irun.ca/

      9. TreadmillReviews.net
      "An ultimate running resource that writes reviews on treadmills for
      almost every make and model out there. High quality reviews that
      really go above and beyond to make your treadmill hunting easy."
      http://www.treadmillreviews.net/

      ASSOCIATIONS:
      The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional
      Organization for the Running Industry.
      http://www.runningusa.org/

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS: Check the "New Subscribers' note at the bottom of the
      newsletter

      Add the Runner's Web News feed to your site through a simple
      JavaScript. Check out OnTri.com's implementation at:
      http://www.ontri.com/runnersweb.html
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is now available

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet
      Explorer from the link on our FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com .

      TWITTER
      Follow us on Twitter at:
      http://twitter.com/runnersweb

      FACEBOOK
      I've created a Runner's Web Group on Facebook. To join the Runner's Web
      Facebook group, if you are not a member of Facebook, you
      must first create a free Facebook account at www.facebook.com. Once you have
      your own space, search "Runner's Web" under "Groups".
      At the Runner's Web site, click "Join this group". Once I have approved your
      request to join, you'll be able to visit the site, post
      race photos, discuss training tips, and share information about running,
      racing and training.

      If anyone is looking for a web mail provider, you might wish to consider
      Google's GMail. You can now sign up for free Gmail at
      Google WITHOUT AN INVITATION at: www.gmail.com

      You can also list your events for free in our Interactive Calendars and on
      our Marathons, Races and Triathlons pages.

      NEW THIS WEEK:

      The Runner's Web has partnered with Training Peaks to provide online
      coaching from experts such as Hal Higdon, Joel Friel and Matt
      Fitzgerald. Sign up at:
      https://home.trainingpeaks.com/create-account-personal-edition.aspx?af=RunnersWeb

      Event directors, add your event to our Event Calendar at:
      http://runnersweb.mhsoftware.com/

      Watch live and webcast of Track and Field and Road races on Universal Sports
      Sign up at:
      http://www.universalsports.com//SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23000&KEY=&SPID=13055&SPSID=105551

      If you feel you have something to say (related to triathlon or running) that
      is worthy of a Guest Column on the Runner's Web, email

      We have 2669 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web
      Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe at:

      ROAD RUNNER SPORTS
      We have partnered with Road Runner Sports, the world's largest online
      running store, to provide a shopping portal. Check it out at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/Mobile_RRS.html

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey. Sheila is one of Ottawa's top
      multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C Ottawa. She
      has a Masters in Public Health and works in the field of
      nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the University of
      California, San Diego. Her column index is available at:

      * Peak Performance Online Peak Performance is a subscription-only newsletter
      for athletes, featuring the latest research from the
      sports science world. We cover the whole range of sports, from running and
      rowing to cycling and swimming, and each issue is packed
      full of exclusive information for anyone who's serious about sport. It's
      published 16 times a year, including four special reports,
      by Electric Word plc. Peak Performance is not available in the shops - only
      our subscribers are able to access the valuable

      * Peak Running Performance Peak Running Is The Nation's Most Advanced
      Running Newsletter. Rated as the #1 Running Publication by Road Runner
      Sports (Worlds Largest Running Store) , Peak Running caters
      to the serious / dedicated runner. Delivering world class running advice are
      some of running's most recognizable athletes including
      Dr. Joe Vigil (US Olympic Coach), Scott Tinley (2 Time Ironman Champ) Steve
      Scott (3 Time Olympian) and many more. This bi-monthly
      newsletter has been around for over 13 years, and in the past two it has
      been awarded the "Golden Shoe Award" in recognition of it's
      outstanding achievements.

      * Running Research News: RRN's free, weekly, training update provides
      subscribers with the most-current, practical, scientifically
      based information about training, sports nutrition, injury prevention, and
      injury rehabilitation. The purpose of this weekly e-zine
      is to improve subscribers' training quality and to help them train in an
      injury-free manner. Running Research News also publishes a
      complete, 12-page, electronic newsletter 10 times a year (one-year
      subscriptions are $35); to learn more about Running Research
      News, please see the Online Article Index and "About Running Research News"
      sections below or go to RRNews.com. Check out the
      article index at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RRN_index.html

      THIS WEEK'S PERSONAL POSTINGS/RELEASES: We will only post notes here
      regarding running and triathlon topics of interest to the
      community. We have TWO personal postings this week.
      ONE:
      Calling all RUNNERS! What motivates you to run? What is your favorite race
      distance? How often do you run? You are being invited to
      participate in Running USA's 2011 National Runner Survey, a comprehensive
      survey to assess the demographics, lifestyle, attitudes,
      habits, and product preferences of the running population nationwide. The
      National Runner Survey is easy to access and available
      online. All responses are completely anonymous and confidential. Don't miss
      this opportunity to join other runners nationwide!
      To access the survey, please click on the following link:
      http://www.surveymk.com/s/NRS11_Runnersweb
      Select "Runnersweb.com" as the organization that invited you to participate.
      TWO:
      Title: Volunteers Needed for Research: Working Mothers that are Regular
      Runners
      Details: Women with multiple life roles (i.e., working mothers, aged 25-55)
      who are regular runners are requested for a study examining physical
      activity (running specifically) and psychological variables during a
      treadmill running task and a routine, attention control task (e.g.,
      newspaper reading).
      Laboratory of Health and Exercise Psychology, School of Human Kinetics,
      University of Ottawa.
      Additional criteria: physically active (minimum 3x /week for 30 minutes), no
      underlying medical condition **All participants will have their names enter
      a draw to win a day-pass at Le Nordik Spa. **
      For more information, please contact: Eva Guerin, PhD student & research
      coordinator
      Tel: (613) 562-5800 Ext: 4228 ; Email: mailto:eguer016@...

      THIS WEEK'S DIGEST ARTICLE INDEX:

      1. Magill on Masters: Bottling the Fountain of Youth
      Do supplements really help masters runners?
      2. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine
      3. Five Indoor Workouts to Run Strong
      4. Three Key Components To Improve Your Running Form
      5. The Ultimate Marathon Race Plan
      6. Pre Race Checklist
      7. Can't Run? You Can Still Train
      These alternative forms of exercise benefit the running wounded and healthy
      runners alike.
      8. New National US Study Finds 34 Percent Increase in Running-Related
      Injuries Among Children
      9. High-tech runners not worth the price: expert
      10. The 10k-to-Marathon Connection
      11. VO2max - The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com
      12. Lifting Weights Can Help Seniors Stay Independent Longer
      13. Is Running in the Cold Bad for Your Lungs?
      14. Probiotics May Help Runners Avoid "The Runs"

      "Has your involvement in sport affected your relationship with your "significant other"?
      Answers Percent
      1. Not in a relationship
      2. Helped it
      3. Hurt it
      4. No effect
      5. Other

      PREVIOUS POLL RESULTS:
      Have you ever run the Boston Marathon?
      Answers Percent Votes
      1 Yes 70% 33
      2 No, but I am running it this year 2% 1
      3 No 28% 13
      Total Votes: 47

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage (http://www.runnersweb.com) as
      well as checking the results of previous polls.

      PHOTO SLIDESHOW:
      Our Photo Slideshow is updated on a random basis. Check it out from our
      FrontPage.

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE MONTH: Athletics Weekly
      Athletics Weekly is the world's only devoted weekly track and field magazine
      designed to keep you informed about all the best news,
      reports and results from Britain and around the world.
      The magazine, affectionately known as 'AW', has been an institution within
      the sport since the 1940s and is still the No.1 choice
      for the true athletics fan.
      In the summer it offers the very best in-depth coverage of the track and
      field season focusing on not only the major championships,
      such as the Olympic Games and World Championships, but also the best in
      schools and grass-roots athletics.
      The spring and autumn seasons concentrate on the big road races, including
      the BUPA Great North Run and Flora London Marathon, while
      the long winter campaign looks toward the cross country season and the
      exciting indoor campaign.
      Besides our unrivalled coverage of all the top events, the magazine also
      offers a sharp and detailed news service focusing on the
      top athletes and issues which rage within the sport.
      We provide all the important fixtures as well as the most comprehensive
      service of results from around Britain and the rest of the
      world.
      The magazine also contains detailed features focusing on the top names in
      the sport as well as regular coaching advice, product
      reviews and plenty of debate and opinions via our popular letters column.
      Make sure you buy Athletics Weekly to keep up to up to date with the best
      the sport has to offer.
      Visit the website at:
      http://www.athleticsweekly.com/

      BOOK/VIDEO/MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Racing WeightHow to Get Lean for Peak
      Performance
      By Matt Fitzgerald
      For endurance athletes, the power-to-weight ratio is critical. After all, an
      extra 10 pounds demands more than 6% more energy at a
      given pace. Racing Weight explores weight management as a means to better
      performance. Losing those last few pounds can seem
      impossible, but Racing Weight will help you hit your fastest numbers.
      Endurance sports coach and certified sports nutritionist Matt Fitzgerald
      offers a safe and healthy 5-step plan to help you get
      leaner and lighter for competition. By improving the quality of your diet,
      managing your appetite, and timing important nutrients,
      you can perform better-and look and feel great.
      Fitzgerald grounds his approach with practical examples of good nutrition,
      featuring personal food journals from elite athletes
      competing in six different sports and a selection of 21 recipes from
      professional triathlete and dietician Pip Taylor.
      Racing Weight is an essential guide to help endurance athletes make the
      subtle but important changes they need to start their next
      race at their optimal weight.
      About Matt Fitzgerald
      Matt Fitzgerald is the author of numerous published and forthcoming books on
      running, triathlon, sports psychology, injury
      prevention, nutrition and weight loss. A prolific health and fitness
      journalist, he is Senior Editor of Triathlete magazine and has
      contributed regularly to such national publications as Bicycling, Experience
      Life, Women's Running, Maxim, Men's Fitness, Men's
      Health, Outside, Runner's World, Stuff, and for websites such as active.com
      and runnersworld.com. Fitzgerald is a featured coach
      with Training Peaks and a former coach with Carmichael Training Systems. He
      is a certified sports nutritionist (CISSN) licensed by
      the International Society of Sports Nutrition. Fitzgerald is a top age-group
      runner and triathlete.
      Buy the book from Velo Press at:
      http://www.velopress.com/nutrition.php?id=289

      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html and

      1. Magill on Masters: Bottling the Fountain of Youth
      Do supplements really help masters runners?
      Wouldn't it be great if there really were an elixir of life? If a potion
      existed that granted its drinker longevity, good health and a new personal
      record for the 10K?
      Well, hang on to your hats. According to recent media hoopla and nonstop
      Madison Avenue promotion, the elixir exists. In fact, we can choose from a
      veritable smorgasbord of elixirs. We call these miracle potions
      "supplements," and their 2009 U.S. retail sales reached $9.4 billion.
      "I take 13 different supplements," says Earl Fee, the world's best masters
      middle-distance runner. Fee has broken 52 age-group world records, ranging
      in distance from the 300-meter hurdles to the mile. At age 80, he ran 70.64
      seconds for 400 meters. "I take calcium and magnesium in one mixture. I take
      co-enzyme 10. I take magnesium straight. Vitamin C and E. And grape seed
      extract, which is a very powerful antioxidant. Zinc. I take arginine, an
      amino acid. And glutamine - that's a really good one. I used to take
      creatine, but that caused my muscles to cramp up. I also take fish oil. Pine
      bark is very similar to grape seed extract. I take red wine too. I have to
      have that every day!"
      It's hard to argue with Fee's success. But it's equally hard to overlook a
      long history of dubious claims and outright fraud where supplements are
      concerned. The ancient Chinese ingested jade, cinnabar, hematite and gold to
      extend their lives. Workers on the Transcontinental Railway relieved joint
      pain with snake oil. And patients of Serge Voronoff in the 1920s sought
      immortality through monkey testicle transplants.
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=21764

      2. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine:
      ** Sugar and Caffeine for Competition
      The limiting factor to how fast you can move during a race is the amount of
      oxygen that you can take in and use. Since sugar requires less oxygen than
      fat to power your muscles, you want to get as much sugar into your muscles
      as quickly as possible. Anything that increases the amount of sugar that can
      be absorbed from your intestines into your bloodstream will help you ride or
      run faster and longer.
      Sugar is carried across your intestinal tract into your bloodstream by
      special protein transporter molecules. Glucose has its own specific
      transporter protein and so does another
      sugar, fructose. So your muscles use 165 percent as much sugar when you
      take in glucose and fructose, compared to taking in only glucose. To put
      it another way, when you take in drinks that contain only glucose, your
      muscles can absorb and use only one gram sugar per minute, compared to 1.75
      grams per minute when you take a drink that contains both glucose and
      fructose (Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care, July
      2010).
      Furthermore, adding caffeine to a drink can increase absorption of sugar
      into the bloodstream by as much as 26 percent (Journal of Applied
      Physiology, June 2006).
      The most effective drinks for endurance competition therefore may be those
      that contain glucose, fructose and caffeine, such as are found in many
      carbonated drinks. These
      drinks are safe during exercise because contracting muscles can prevent a
      high rise in blood sugar levels by drawing sugar from the bloodstream
      without needing insulin. However, when you are not exercising, these drinks
      can cause very high rises in blood sugar, increasing risk for obesity and
      diabetes.
      ** Increasing Stride Length
      You cannot run faster by consciously trying to increase your stride length.
      When you try to take longer strides that feel unnatural, you lose energy and
      run more slowly. Your most efficient stride length is determined by what
      feels most comfortable to you.
      Your heel hits the ground with great force. The tendons in your legs absorb
      some of this energy and then contract forcibly after your heel hits the
      ground so you regain about 60 to 75 percent of that stored energy. When you
      try to take a stride that is longer than your natural one, you lose a great
      deal of this stored energy, tire much earlier and move your legs at a slower
      rate.
      When most athletes run as fast as they can, they run at close to the same
      stride rate. For example, a video at the New York City Marathon showed that
      the top 150 runners had the same cadence, taking 92 to 94 steps a minute.
      The difference between the top runners and the others is that the best
      runners took longer strides. The key to running faster in races is to make
      your leg muscles stronger so you can contract them with greater force so
      they drive you forward with a longer stride. Competitive runners strengthen
      their legs by running very fast in practice two or three times a week and by
      running up and down hills once or twice a week.

      3. Five Indoor Workouts to Run Strong:
      How Indoor Workouts Can Help Your Run.
      The treadmill can be more than a stopgap on days when the weather doesn't
      cooperate or the baby is napping upstairs. Done right, treadmill training
      will help you maintain and improve your fitness throughout the winter so
      you're ready to race - or just outpace your running buddies - come spring.
      Even the hardy runners of Team USA Minnesota, a group of elites accustomed
      to subzero chills, make time for treadmills running. In fact, Dennis Barker,
      the team's coach, once lined up some of his marathoners for a three hour run
      indoors. "If you have a winter or spring marathon like Houston or Disney
      World, the treadmill gives you some heat training without having to go down
      to Florida," Barker says. "Besides, you can't leave your fluid bottles
      outside for long runs in Minnesota. They'll freeze."
      More...from Active.com at:
      http://tinyurl.com/4sah6fw

      4. Three Key Components To Improve Your Running Form:
      With all of the recent talk about proper running form, it can be difficult
      to wade through the gimmicks and find sound advice. The good news is there
      are plenty of great resources and research being done to help runners
      understand proper running form. And yes, there is such a thing as proper
      running form. Just like there is a proper bike fit or efficient swim
      mechanics. Running has been held to a separate standard for many years and
      has led to many injuries. It is such a simple movement yet your biomechanics
      will play a significant role in the outcome of your running life.
      So what is proper running form? How can you run pain free and not worry
      about getting injured? What is the most efficient form? All great questions.
      The goal is like any other sport-specific movement- perform it injury-free
      and with high performance. The following key components will help answer
      these questions and jump-start your new and improved running form.
      More...from TriFuel at:
      http://www.trifuel.com/training/run/three-key-components-to-improve-your-running-form

      5. The Ultimate Marathon Race Plan:
      Getting ready for the big dance, the full 26.2 miles, is a huge undertaking.
      As the day approaches, the true significance of the event becomes readily
      apparent by virtue of just how panicked you become. Not all of the worry is
      necessarily bad, but it can lead you down the path to some poor deciscions
      and ultimately take away from your ability to run the race you have trained
      for. With the right planning, you can avoid this state of pre-marathon
      paralysis and be ready to have you best race possible.
      Pre-Marathon Paralysis
      It affects 8 out of 10 marathoners, and typical onset occurs about four
      weeks out from race day. Right around the time of the last long run. Of
      course, I am making this up, but if you have ever experienced this situation
      you know just how real the nerves and worry can be.
      All of a sudden you find yourself worrying about things that you had never
      even thought of before:
      ?Are your shoes light enough?
      ?What will you wear in the corrall as you wait?
      ?Shoud you carry your own fluids if the aid stations are too crowded?
      ?Jimmy's bringing some advil and a cellphone.should you?
      More...from Marathon Nation at:
      http://www.marathonnation.us/race-execution/the-ultimate-marathon-race-plan/

      6. Pre Race Checklist:
      Download this pre race checklist and place in a prominent place. By checking
      the list regularly, you will ensure that you do not overlook anything
      obvious in your racing preparation no matter the distance. This is
      especially useful for those of you who have entered or are thinking about
      entering, a Marathon.
      This is the ONLY way to plan your race if you wish to eliminate all the
      stress associated with the build up to an important race - even if it is
      your first time.
      More...from Running4Women at:
      http://www.running4women.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Prerace-Checklist.pdf

      7. Can't Run? You Can Still Train:
      These alternative forms of exercise benefit the running wounded and healthy
      runners alike.
      There's no worse feeling in the world than being unable to train due to
      injury, especially when you've been told by a medical professional to simply
      "stop running" until the injury heals. However, taking total rest is one of
      the worst things you can do when trying to rehabilitate an injury. If you
      can't run and you've got your sites set on speeding up the recovery process
      and staying fit until you're back on your feet again, then it's best to stop
      sulking and get your banged-up body moving again as soon as possible.
      Let's take a look at three of the most effective cross-training options for
      runners looking to maintain fitness while overcoming an injury, or better
      yet, to avoid injury altogether.
      The Alter-G antigravity treadmill is catching on with injured runners.
      Photo: Courtesy Alter-G.
      Alter-G Antigravity Treadmill
      Training on an Alter-G antigravity treadmill allows you to replicate your
      running workouts at a fraction of your body weight, meaning you can reap
      almost all of the same fitness benefits without the same type of wear and
      tear on your body. Of course, for most runners, access to one of these
      incredible machines is limited, but if you're injured and there's an Alter-G
      in your neck of the woods, it's worth renting out once or twice a week if
      you want to salvage your hard-earned fitness and return to running on land
      as quickly as possible.
      More...from Competitor Magazine at:
      http://running.competitor.com/2011/01/training/cant-run-you-can-still-train_9183

      8. New National US Study Finds 34 Percent Increase in Running-Related
      Injuries Among Children:
      Researchers at the Center for Injury Research and Policy of The Research
      Institute at Nationwide Children's Hospital examined running-related
      injuries among children and adolescents 6 to 18 years old and found that an
      estimated 225,344 cases were treated in U.S. emergency departments from 1994
      through 2007, for an average of more than 16,000 each year. During the
      14-year study period, the annual number of running-related injuries
      increased 34 percent.
      According to the study, appearing in the February 2011 issue of Clinical
      Pediatrics, the majority of running-related injuries were sprains and
      strains to the lower extremities. One third of the injuries involved a fall
      and more than one half of running-related injuries occurred at school.
      The injuries, however, varied by age. Younger children (6 to 14 years old)
      were more likely to be injured as the result of a fall and while running at
      school. Adolescents 15 to 18 years old, on the other hand, were more likely
      to sustain injuries while running in the street or at a sports and
      recreation facility.
      More...from Science Daily at:
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/01/110127110709.htm

      9. High-tech runners not worth the price: expert:
      Spending hundreds of dollars to get the latest in running shoe technology
      isn't as effective at preventing injury as simply buying a pair that's
      comfortable, a Calgary researcher and author says.
      Dr. Benno Nigg, co-director the University of Calgary's Human Performance
      Lab in the kinesiology faculty, makes that conclusion in his new book,
      Biomechanics of Sport Shoes.
      "What you get with the high price is the gimmicks," said Nigg, who has
      studied running shoe technology and orthotics, and worked with industry
      giants such as Nike and Reebok, for three decades.
      Despite the billions spent trying to perfect running shoes, injury rates
      have not changed substantially in the last 30 years, according to Nigg.
      "The major reason for injuries in running, for example, is the distance, the
      intensity, how fast you run, how far you run and how long you wait in
      between," he said.
      More...from the CBC at:
      http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2011/01/28/calgary-running-shoes-comfort-nigg.html?ref=rss#ixzz1Cd6bFfP0

      10. The 10k-to-Marathon Connection:
      While in many circles the marathon is held as the ultimate goal of running,
      it remains a challenge for most runners to comprehend. After all, the
      challenge of covering 26.2 miles in one go is no small feat. Even with the
      rising popularity of distance running, still only a fraction of
      self-reporting active people have reached a marathon finishing line.
      There is, however, another path to marathon success. It's not some crazy
      supplement or short cut - you still have to train and race, but the good
      news is that the marathon finish line might not be as far off as you
      originally thought. Instead of just focusing on the miles, you can look to
      build year-round running fitness through regularly scheduled 10k races and
      then use that fitness as a launching pad for your marathon goal.
      Road Race As Fitness Test
      A 10k, or 6.2 mile, race is a fantastic distance for runners of all ability
      levels. Short enough to encourage the beginners and just long enough that
      even the most hard-core runner can still get a great workout. Better yet,
      there's probably a 10k held in your area at least once a month and most
      likely year-round.
      What makes the 10k relevant to your marathon goals, however, is the
      distance. At 6.2 miles, it takes the "average" runner just under 50 minutes
      to complete, with some of the speediest age groupers finishing in the mid-30
      minute range. Regardless of your finishing time, know that a well run 10k is
      essentially the equivalent of doing a functional fitness test.
      The minute you hit the finish line, you'll have a hard number (finishing
      time), an average speed (pace per mile/kilometer), and maybe even some heart
      rate data (not required). Using this information, you can begin to determine
      proper training paces and even extrapolate an approximate marathon
      performance.
      More...from Marathon Nation at:
      http://www.marathonnation.us/marathon-training/the-10k-to-marathon-connection/

      11. VO2max - The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com:
      ** Holiday Fat
      Still have some fat lying around your middle from the holidays? There's
      nothing like sprinting to increase muscle power and get your legs, glutes,
      and core tight and toned. Try this cardio-sprint pyramid workout that mixes
      cardio with muscle-sculpting sprinting for a fun workout you'll never
      forget:
      Start with a 15-minute warm-up, adding a few 20-second bursts at the end to
      rev your engine and prepare for the workout. Then run or bike for 30
      seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes, 4 minutes, 2 minutes, 1 minute, and 30 seconds
      at a rate of perceived exertion of 8-10 (adjusting the effort with the
      length of the segment), following each hard segment with an active recovery
      interval equaling the same amount of time. Finish with a 10-minute
      cool-down.

      12. Lifting Weights Can Help Seniors Stay Independent Longer:
      Study suggests strength training is key to preventing age-related muscle
      loss in older adults
      INDIANAPOLIS - Adults who begin lifting weights early in life may benefit
      from decreased age-related muscle loss and live independently longer,
      according to a report published this month by the American College of Sports
      Medicine.
      The report, titled "Influence of Resistance Exercise on Lean Body Mass in
      Aging Adults: A Meta-Analysis," was published in Medicine & Science in
      Sports & Exercise®, the official scientific journal of the American College
      of Sports Medicine. A research team with the University of Michigan compiled
      data from 49 studies to assemble this report. They found that older adults
      gain an average of 2.42 pounds of lean body mass, primarily muscle, after
      strength training for approximately 20 weeks.
      This 2.42-pound increase counteracts the 0.4 pounds of muscle lost each year
      by sedentary adults over age 50. The findings suggest that aging individuals
      should consider beginning a strength training regimen as early as possible
      to maximize results and delay sarcopenia, an age-related muscle
      deterioration that can lead to mobility disability and loss of independence
      for seniors.
      "The findings of this analysis are significant, given the millions of U.S.
      adults affected by sarcopenia," said Mark Peterson, Ph.D., lead author of
      the study. "Because we have identified a robust link between resistance
      exercise and lean body mass, future generations of seniors who incorporate
      this modality may be less affected by age-related muscle loss and better
      able to preserve independence and quality of life."
      In addition to beginning a strength training program early in life,
      researchers also recommend adults consider the volume, or number of sets, of
      their program. The analysis suggests progression models, with gradual
      changes in volume and load, are appropriate to accommodate long-term growth
      in muscle mass.
      "Our report is the first comprehensive meta-analysis to confirm a
      significant association between strength training volume and lean body mass
      increases in aging men and women," said Dr. Peterson. "These findings
      suggest that, while effective for getting started, a single set of
      resistance exercises and/or fixed-volume programs may no longer be
      sufficient for individuals looking to achieve long-term changes in lean body
      mass."
      Researchers screened more than 5,000 references for this analysis, and 49
      studies with 81 cohorts were selected for inclusion based on several
      criteria. The selected studies had an average participant age of at least 50
      years, incorporated supervised, whole-body resistance training programs, and
      lasted at least eight weeks in duration.
      ACSM and the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans recommend that
      adults get at least 150 minutes of moderately intense physical activity each
      week. For more information on exercise for older adults, see the ACSM
      Position Stand on "Exercise and Physical Activity for Older Adults."
      Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise® is the official journal of the
      American College of Sports Medicine, and is available from Lippincott
      Williams & Wilkins at 1-800-638-6423. For a complete copy of the research
      paper (Vol. 43, No. 2, pages 249-258) or to speak with a leading sports
      medicine expert on the topic, contact the Department of Communications and
      Public Information at 317-637-9200 ext. 133 or 127. Visit ACSM online at
      www.acsm.org.
      The conclusions outlined in this news release are those of the researchers
      only, and should not be construed as an official statement of the American
      College of Sports Medicine.

      13. Is Running in the Cold Bad for Your Lungs?
      Have you ever heard your mom or coach warn you not to run in the cold?
      "You'll freeze your lungs if you run in that frigid air," they say. You've
      maybe even thought it yourself: At what temperature will the cold air damage
      your lungs? Research shows that runners are not in danger of freezing their
      lungs, even in the coldest places on Earth such as the North and South
      Poles. Thanks to our body's brilliant design and adaptability, air reaches
      body temperature by the time it greets our lungs.
      That said, frigid temperatures can still cause irritation in the airways.
      "Cold, dry air and increases in minute ventilation are both stimuli for
      bronchoconstriction, which manifests with shortness of breath, chest
      tightness and a cough," says triathlete and doctor Cathy Koger. In act,
      those who are less aerobically fit, suffer from exercise-induced asthma, or
      are currently suffering from a respiratory illness are more susceptible to
      problems. The elite Nordic ski population is one group that has reported
      some lung damage, yet they're generally exerting more effort than runners
      who are out there just putting in the miles.
      More...from Active.com at:
      http://tinyurl.com/4rkmnfp

      14. Probiotics May Help Runners Avoid "The Runs"
      Endurance Athletes Find Relief During Training With Vidazorb®
      Beltsville, MD, February 2011 - Out of the 467,000 endurance runners in the
      United
      States(http://www.marathonguide.com/Features/Articles/2009RecapOverview.cfm),
      approximately 60% of them develop varying degrees of stomach distress during
      or following a
      run(http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-301--10005-0,00.html)
      . For any runner training for a big marathon, or even just to best their own
      personal time in a 10k run, the last thing they want to experience is the
      need for repeated visits to the Porta Potty.
      "When I run, which I do a lot, I have had many GI issues and my speed at
      times has paid the price for it," commented Brandon Wood, endurance athlete
      and blogger behind IronBrandon
      (http://brandonsmarathon.com/?s=vidazorb&x=19&y=14#) . "Oddly, when
      cycling, swimming, hiking and anything else I tend to have no issues at all,
      only running. I have to think that this is thanks in part to the jostling
      nature of running."
      It's suspected that part of the reason endurance athletes experience GI
      issues during training is due to the blood being converted from the
      digestive system to the muscles during exercise. The diversion of the blood
      can cause cramping and make it hard for the body to absorb fluids, which
      potentially leads to dehydration2 <#_edn3> . Along with the natural
      movement of running, the increased amount of protein and carbohydrates in
      most runners' diets puts a demand on the digestive tract.
      Probiotic bacteria, simply known as "good bugs," work to help the digestive
      system function properly. They can help the body process the additional
      protein and carbohydrates in a runner's diet by absorbing nutrients while
      aiding in digestion. They help in hydration because the body is better able
      to absorb fluids. Vidazorb® chewable probiotics are especially ideal for a
      runners, as they provide the recommended therapeutic dose of CFU's in just
      three tablets a day without adding to demands on the stomach as yogurt
      might.
      After trying Vidazorb®, IronBrandon did a review
      (http://brandonsmarathon.com/?s=vidazorb&x=19&y=14#)on his blog and
      was able to see that his digestive system did seem to hold up better during
      long runs. "I kept up my running schedule throughout the course of taking
      the product and noticed a positive change, or rather didn't notice the
      problems I had in the past," noted Brandon. "Since I began taking Vidazorb®,
      I have had no GI issues whatsoever. I'm no doctor, but I can attest to the
      fact that I have noticed the lack of problems I once had before using this
      product."
      Vidazorb® is hoping to help spread the word to other runners who may
      experience digestive issues and has gotten involved by sponsoring groups
      like Team in Training, as well as teaming up with other endurance running
      bloggers.
      About Vidazorb®
      Vidazorb® represents the development of superior shelf-stable, chewable
      probiotic formulations to provide essential support for core health needs.
      Research and development, together with a commitment to quality and
      efficacy, defines Vidazorb® as a brand of integrity and excellence. For more
      information, visit www.Vidazorb.com. For engaging, kid-friendly probiotic
      information, visit www.Zorbee.com. To learn more about the importance of,
      and science supporting, probiotics, visit
      http://www.youarewhatyouabsorb.com. Vidazorb® can be purchased online at
      http://www.vidazorb.com or http://www.DrugStore.com.

      15. Digest Briefs
      ** This Week in Running:
      10 Years Ago- Yoko Shibui (JPN) won the 19th edition of the Osaka
      International Women's (JPN) Marathon
      by more than three minutes over Franca Fiacconi (ITA),
      2:23:11 to 2:26:49. Rie Matsuoka
      (JPN) was 3rd at 2:27:50 while Sonja Oberem (GER) was 4th at
      2:28:50. Future Olympic
      marathon gold medalist Constantina Dita (ROM) was a dnf.
      20 Years Ago- Katrin Dörre (GER) won the 9th edition of the Osaka
      International Women's (JPN) Marathon
      and collected the Japanese marathon championship as well with
      a 2:27:43 (non-resident
      foreigners were allowed to win Japanese championships thru
      1993.) Yuko Arimori was the
      first Japanese finisher at 2:28:01 while Qing-mei Chen (CHN)
      was 3rd at 2:29:44. Renata
      Kokowska (POL) was 4th ar 2:30:15. Other notables include
      Lisa Rainsberger (USA) at 6th,
      Rita Borralho (POR) at 27th, and Lorraine Moller (NZL) as a
      dnf.
      30 Years Ago- Midde Hamrin (SWE) won the Avon (TX/USA) Half Marathon over
      Antoinette Bernhard (USA), 1:15:11
      to 1:16:39. Carol Urish (USA) was 3rd at 1:17:04.
      40 Years Ago- Tim Hendricks (USA) won the 4th edition of the Ground Hog Day
      (AR/USA) Marathon with a time
      of 2:38:58.2. 27 men finished and no women. This race moved
      from Ground Hog Day in 1978 and
      was renamed the Arkansas Marathon. It held its 43rd running
      last October with 19 finishers.
      50 Years Ago- Bruce Kidd (CAN) won the Meet of Champions (MB/CAN) 2 mile
      over Ron Wallingford (CAN), 8:58.2
      to 9:08.3.
      From The Analytical Distance Runner, the newsletter for the Association of
      Road Racing Statisticians with a focus on races, 3000m
      and longer, including road, track, and cross-country events.

      *Please verify event dates with the event websites available from our
      FrontPage (www.runnersweb.com)

      February 5, 2011:
      Medtronic TC Kids Fieldhouse Fun Run - Minneapolis, MN

      New Balance Indoor Grand Prix - Boston, MA

      USA Cross Country Championships, San Diego, CA
      Qualifier for World Championships in Punta Umbria, ESP

      February 6, 2011:
      Redondo Beach Super Bowl Sunday 5K/10K - CA

      Rose Bowl Half-Marathon - Pasadena, CA

      Run Denver Super Bowl 5K - Denver, CO

      Surf City USA® Marathon & Half - Huntington Beach, CA

      XTERRA McDowell Mountain Trail Run - Fountain Hills, AZ

      XTERRA Mission Gorge Trail Run - San Diego, CA

      June 25, 2011
      Emilie's Run
      www.EmiliesRun.com

      Check the Runner's Web on Sunday and Monday for race reports on these events
      at:

      Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe
      at:

      mailto:runnersweb@yahoogroups.com and in our Runner's Web Forum,
      available off our FrontPage. If you post to the mailing list and
      mailto:webmaster@... to notify us of the problem. To update
      your Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the
      website at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RunnersWeb/join , sign in and
      update your changes.
      Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe
      at:

      Ken

      Ken Parker
      www.RunnersWeb.com
      mailto:kparker@...
      613-746-4053
      http://www.OACRacingTeam.com
      http://www.EmiliesRun.com

      RUNNER'S WEB AFFILIATE PROGRAMS:
      If you experience any delays in receiving your copy of the Digest,
      please advise us at:
      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for
      viruses.
      Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor (me) prior to being
      released to the group. If you have any questions regarding
      the options available for receiving this digest,
      mailto:Webmaster@...
      *NOTE*
      **[ Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two lines. If
      you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you paste
      the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or
      another appropriate suffix ].
      Note: An increasing number of media sites require free registration.
      If you wish to sign up for free access to sources for our
      articles without using your main email address we suggest the use of a
      mail alias program such as http://www.emailias.com.

      *** END OF RUNNER'S AND TRIATHLETE'S WEB DIGEST...***