Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest - December 3, 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2010
      those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out
      our daily news, features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more. General questions should be posted to one of our forums available
      from our FrontPage.

      1. Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women - Canada's Fastest Women's 5K Emilie's Run is over for another year.
      Emily Tallen of Kingston won the race in 16:36.2 after finishing second twice and third once in the past three years. Race reports,
      photos and a video are available at the race website. The 2011 race will be run on June 25th. For more on the race visit the website
      at: http://www.emiliesrun.com.

      3. Toronto Waterfront Marathon, October 16, 2011
      The fastest men's and women's marathon on Canadian soil!
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/STWM_Transporter.html

      4. Goodlife Fitness Toronto Marathon - May 15, 2011
      Note the date change to the spring starting in 2011,
      http://www.torontomarathon.com/
      Register Now~
      Set a PB!
      Registration is now open for May 15th, 2011! Our first spring event! Great Karbon shirts, our huge medals, and one of the best carbo
      dinners around.
      Our course is scenic, fast, and with a net downhill ensures a fast time. You'll be supported by over 1500 volunteers and thousands
      of spectators as you run the streets of Toronto.
      We've reduced our entry fees until the end of this month so don't miss this great opportunity by registering now! Click here.
      https://torontomarathon.com/registration/register_single.cgi

      5. Training Peaks
      The Runner's Web has partnered with Training Peaks to provide online
      coaching from experts such as Hal Higdon, Joel Friel and Matt
      Fitzgerald. Sign up at:
      https://home.trainingpeaks.com/create-account-personal-edition.aspx?af=RunnersWeb

      6. iRun Magazine
      iRun is Canada's highest-circulation and most popular running magazine. With a total distribution of 50,000 and more than 9,000
      subscribers, iRun is leading the market in the rapidly growing and highly desirable demographic of Canadian runners.
      http://www.irun.ca/

      9. TreadmillReviews.net
      "An ultimate running resource that writes reviews on treadmills for
      almost every make and model out there. High quality reviews that
      really go above and beyond to make your treadmill hunting easy."
      http://www.treadmillreviews.net/

      ASSOCIATIONS:
      The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional
      Organization for the Running Industry.
      http://www.runningusa.org/

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS: Check the "New Subscribers' note at the bottom of the
      newsletter

      Add the Runner's Web News feed to your site through a simple
      JavaScript. Check out OnTri.com's implementation at:
      http://www.ontri.com/runnersweb.html
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is now available

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet
      Explorer from the link on our FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com .

      TWITTER
      Follow us on Twitter at:
      http://twitter.com/runnersweb

      FACEBOOK
      I've created a Runner's Web Group on Facebook. To join the Runner's Web Facebook group, if you are not a member of Facebook, you

      If anyone is looking for a web mail provider, you might wish to consider Google's GMail. You can now sign up for free Gmail at
      Google WITHOUT AN INVITATION at: www.gmail.com

      The Runner's Web has partnered with Training Peaks to provide online coaching from experts such as Hal Higdon, Joel Friel and Matt
      Fitzgerald. Sign up at:
      https://home.trainingpeaks.com/create-account-personal-edition.aspx?af=RunnersWeb

      Event directors, add your event to our Event Calendar at:
      http://runnersweb.mhsoftware.com/

      Watch live and webcast of Track and Field and Road races on Universal Sports
      Sign up at:
      http://www.universalsports.com//SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23000&KEY=&SPID=13055&SPSID=105551

      We have 2656 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe at:

      ROAD RUNNER SPORTS
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/Mobile_RRS.html

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey. Sheila is one of Ottawa's top
      multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public Health and works in the field of
      nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the University of California, San Diego. Her column index is available at:

      * Peak Running Performance Peak Running Is The Nation's Most Advanced
      Running Newsletter. Rated as the #1 Running Publication by Road Runner Sports (Worlds Largest Running Store) , Peak Running caters
      to the serious / dedicated runner. Delivering world class running advice are some of running's most recognizable athletes including
      Dr. Joe Vigil (US Olympic Coach), Scott Tinley (2 Time Ironman Champ) Steve Scott (3 Time Olympian) and many more. This bi-monthly
      newsletter has been around for over 13 years, and in the past two it has been awarded the "Golden Shoe Award" in recognition of it's
      outstanding achievements.

      * Running Research News: RRN's free, weekly, training update provides subscribers with the most-current, practical, scientifically
      based information about training, sports nutrition, injury prevention, and injury rehabilitation. The purpose of this weekly e-zine
      is to improve subscribers' training quality and to help them train in an injury-free manner. Running Research News also publishes a
      complete, 12-page, electronic newsletter 10 times a year (one-year subscriptions are $35); to learn more about Running Research
      News, please see the Online Article Index and "About Running Research News" sections below or go to RRNews.com. Check out the
      article index at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RRN_index.html

      community. We have ONE personal postings this week.
      One:
      This morning, Getty Images has announced the winners of its annual ‘Mishmash’ music video remix competition. U.S. Los Angeles
      native, Ben Redmond, has taken home top honors for his short video, A Runner’s High, which explores the adrenaline achieved through
      running.
      Watch the video at:
      http://mishmash.gettyimages.com/work/QWN1KH

      THIS WEEK'S DIGEST ARTICLE INDEX:

      1. Radial Shockwave Therapy
      2. Motivation
      We Define Our Own Goals and Levels of Success.
      3. The Enigma of Phosphorus
      4. Recovery training: the importance of recovery and various recovery strategies you should implement
      5. Base Mistakes
      6. Workout Of The Week: Push the Tempo
      7. How Can I Speed Stress Fracture Healing?
      8. Rethink how you rehydrate when exercising
      9. New Study Reports Effects of Endurance Running
      10. Is Running Through Pain a Good Idea?
      Study of Long Distance Runners Suggests It’s Sometimes OK to Push on Despite Pain.
      11. There a Greener Way To Work Out?
      How to burn more calories with fewer watts.
      12. VO2Max -The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com
      13. The Latest Research on Training and Racing at Altitude
      Examining the effects of altitude on performance.
      14.Should you eat protein before exercise, or after?

      When will we see a sub 2-hour marathon?
      1. Never
      2 5 years
      3 10 years
      4 15 years
      5 20 years
      6 25+ years

      PREVIOUS POLL RESULTS:
      The women's world record for the mile is 4.12.56 set by Svetlana Masterkova of Russia in 1996. Will a woman ever break 4 minutes for
      the mile?
      Answers Percent Votes
      1 Never 23% 8
      2 50 years 9% 3
      3 25 years 11% 4
      4 10 years 29% 10
      5 5 years 9% 3
      6 1-4 years 20% 7
      Total Votes: 35

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage (http://www.runnersweb.com) as well as checking the results of previous polls.

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE MONTH: Helen Jenkins (nee Tucker), Triathlete
      Date of Birth: 8 March 1984
      Born: Elgin, Scotland
      Lives: Bridgend, Wales
      Family: Jo and Ed (Mum and Dad) and Harriet (younger sister and masseur!), and husband Marc
      Coach: Marc Jenkins
      Hobbies: Walking Barney, my dog
      Favourite film: Star Trek films
      Favourite place: Merthyr Mawr sand dunes
      Favourite food: Fruit salad
      Favourite race: Vancouver World Champs, of course!
      Charity: Helen is patron of the ASH Wales
      Vist Helen's website at:
      http://www.helentucker.co.uk

      BOOK/VIDEO/MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Runners on Running
      Runners on Running is an arrangement of inspirational stories, humorous accounts, and pivotal moments. It is a best-of collection
      from the top writers in the sport. The selections are grouped into seven themes that encompass the runner’s experience: spirit,
      body, mind, mentor, race, bonds, and heart.
      Product Description
      Runners on Running is the ultimate anthology of inspirational stories, humorous accounts, and pivotal moments in the sport. This
      one-of-a-kind collection includes over 30 unforgettable stories from the most acclaimed writers in running:
      For more or to buy the book visit Human Kinetics at:
      http://www.humankinetics.com/products/showproduct.cfm?associate=880&isbn=9780736095709

      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html and

      1. Radial Shockwave Therapy:
      Radial shockwave Therapy or Extracorpeal Shockwave Therapy is a relatively new treatment that has been in use at The Nepean Sports
      Medicine & Physiotherapy Centre for the past six years. It is very effective in treating chronic and sub- acute tendinitis. Radial
      Shockwaves are high energy acoustic waves that are transmitted through the surface of the skin and spread radially into the body.
      In effect they reinjure the area on a cellular level and break up scarring or calcific deposits that may have penetrated tendons or
      ligaments. The controlled reinjuring of tissue allows the body to regenerate new healthy tissue which leads to faster healing and
      return to activity.
      Radial Shockwave Therapy is also effective in eliminating pain by stimulating the release of substances that help to block pain.
      Excellent results have been obtained treating plantar fasciitis, ilio tibial band syndrome, tennis elbow, patellar tendinitis,
      rotator cuff tendinitis including calcific tendinitis and achilles tendinitis.
      The treatments last from five to ten minutes and the number of treatments depends on the severity of the condition and the length of
      time the condition has been present.
      Dan Ziniuk, a member of The National Capital Runner’s Association has been treated with Radial Shockwave Therapy at our clinic for
      chronic achilles tendinitis. When Dan first came for treatment he was unable to run due to pain and thickening of both achilles
      tendons. He is now back to running and has completed The Boston Marathon and recently the New York Marathon, pain free with his
      best time ever!
      Following is a testimony from Chirporactor, Dr. Shannon Rampton who recently received Radial Shockwave Therapy for achilles
      tendinitis at our clinic.
      “ After 6 months of various therapies that included electrical muscle stimulation, ultra sound, acupuncture, massage, exercises ,
      ice and even rest, I finally tried acoustic shockwave therapy for my chronic achilles tendinitis. What a relief! After only three
      ten minute treatments my pain was completely gone and my range of motion had returned to near normal. Now I am back to playing
      soccer, hiking with my dogs and speed skating without the worry and pain of my achilles, thanks to acoustic shockwave therapy.”
      Submitted by Virginia Boro, Physiotherapist, Owner of The Nepean Sports Medicine & Physiotherapy Centre
      http://www.nepeansportsmedicine.ca/

      2. Motivation:
      We Define Our Own Goals and Levels of Success.
      IN 1977, I TRAVELED TO GOTHENBURG, SWEDEN to compete in the World Masters Championships, a track and field meet for older athletes.
      I ran well, winning the 3,000 meter steeplechase and setting a world record for my age group: M45. I also placed third in the
      marathon and fourth in cross-country. But the hero of the championships was Duncan MacLean of Scotland, who won the 100 meters in
      what was then the oldest age group: M80.
      MacLean's time of 21.27 was not what grabbed everybody's attention; it was his age. The Scot actually was 91 years old! Although
      even older participants would appear at future Championships (a 100-year-old runner competed in Australia in 2001), McLean was the
      oldest at the time and also was ahead of his time. What impressed me about MacLean, who once had worked as an understudy for the
      famous singer, Sir Harry Lauder, was not his age, but his youth!
      He looked young--not so much on the track, but away from the track. One evening during the Championships, my wife Rose and I visited
      Liseberg, an outdoor amusement park, and spotted MacLean walking with Australian Cliff Bould, an M65 competitor. They hardly seemed
      like geriatrics. They strode through the park with a vigor that belied their age. They moved young--and that's something you can't
      fake. Coloring your hair and removing the bags under your eyes with plastic surgery may give you a surface look of youth, but if you
      fail to pay attention to what's beneath the surface--your physical fitness--you'll give your age away as soon as you move.
      As I continued to compete as a masters runner through the next three decades, I used Duncan MacLean as one of my role models. I
      wanted to be able to move with the same fluidity and still be able to compete when and if I reached his age.
      More...from Hal Higdon at:
      http://www.halhigdon.com/books/masterrunningexcerpt.htm

      3. The Enigma of Phosphorus:
      By Frank Horwill
      "Warning: excessive consumption of this drink may damage your bones" The average 70-kilogram man has 680,000 milligrams of
      phosphorus in his body. It is an essential nutrient, and sufficient quantities are necessary for calcium to do its job in the
      system, yet too much phosphate can increase calcium needs, which, if not met, can render the individual calcium- deficient. A
      junk-food diet is rich in phosphorus and can produce a relative calcium deficiency and all the problems that this entails. Ideally,
      the dietary calcium-phosphorus ratio should be about 1 or 2:1.
      The phosphorus RDA has recently been fixed at 900mg. In 1980, in the USA, it was fixed at a trivial 100mg per day. In the UK, the
      daily intake is about 1200-2000mg. Good food sources include milk and milk products, nuts and wholegrain cereals, poultry, eggs,
      fish, meats and legumes.
      B vitamins are only effective when combined with phosphate in the body. A very important use in the athlete is the
      phosphorus-containing compound, adenosine triphosphate (ATP), which is involved in all exercise, short or long. Its other activities
      include: development of bones and teeth, multiplication of cells, activation of some enzymes and vitamins, and maintenance of body
      neutrality. It also participates in carbohydrate metabolism.
      But are athletes getting too much?
      Quite possibly athletes are ingesting three times the RDA. Dr Tim Noakes, the eminent physiologist at Cape Town University and
      author of 'The Lore of Running' (one of the greatest books ever written about road running) and four other scientists decided to
      carry out an investigation into the causes of shin-soreness. To do this, they brought together 12 sufferers from different sports
      (not just runners).
      More...from the Serpentine Running Club at:
      http://www.serpentine.org.uk/pages/advice_frank03.html

      4. Recovery training: the importance of recovery and various recovery strategies you should implement:
      When planning training programmes for athletes, it is easy to write down sets, reps, times, volumes, intensities and loads. However,
      structuring a recovery programme to effectively allow adaptation to take place between training sessions is a lot trickier, as James
      Marshall explains
      Before we look at how recovery can be optimised, it’s important to understand why it’s important. This is crucial for both coaches
      and athletes; coaches because they are going to have to plan time and resources to assist recovery, and athletes because they are
      going to have to implement the strategies.
      According to ‘supercompensation theory’ (see figure 1), after the body has been exposed to a stressful situation, providing that
      adequate recovery has taken place, it will adapt and become stronger(1). Without further exposure to this stimulus, the body will
      soon return to its previous state. However, if further training takes place during the supercompensation phase, then more work or
      higher intensities can be tolerated. But if training takes place too soon, recovery is incomplete, less work can be done and the
      athlete risks fatigue, injury or burnout
      Fatigue comes in different forms, including central, peripheral neural, hormonal and psychological; the recovery process therefore
      needs to target all these different areas. Different aspects of fatigue require different amounts of recovery, and it is very
      difficult to balance these recoveries. For example, competing in a final of a competition may actually be physically easier than a
      training session, but the emotional, psychological and hormonal stress will be much greater and this should be taken into account
      when planning post-competition training.
      More...from Peak Performance Online at:
      http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/recovery-training-the-importance-of-recovery-and-various-recovery-strategies-you-should-implement-42
      448

      5. Base Mistakes:
      A well-designed base training phase is crucial for annual progress, but it is often taken for granted as the easy time of year.
      Base is, in fact, the time to address aerobic level fitness, strength, and technique. To make the most of your base phase, you may
      need to dispose of a few myths and rationalizations.
      I need a month off. Coming off a peak or an Iron Man race, a good rest is in order, but total rest is not. Fitness atrophies very
      quickly, and 4 weeks off may require up to 8 to 12 weeks to regain the lost fitness. A transition phase is a much better plan. This
      is a time for your body to recover physically and mentally while maintaining a level of fitness. Some studies have shown training
      volume can be reduced by as much as 80%, yet a level of fitness will be maintained with a well-designed transition phase.
      Base=Miles . Training for a distance event such as a marathon or triathlon over several hours requires a lot of aerobic level miles.
      Base training for these events should mean a reduction from peak miles and more focus on strength, power, and form. Save the long
      workouts for the general preparation and race specific phases of training for these events.
      Everyone is in base. Base training is a type of training, not a season. Although most athletes perform their base training in the
      fall and winter, it is not written in stone. In fact, you can return to a shorter base period later in the season depending on the
      structure of your annual training plan. Let your race prioritization dictate the placement and duration of your base season. Some
      athletes do not race well in hot weather and may choose a fall or winter peak.
      More...from the Sport Factory at:
      http://thesportfactory.com/site/trainingnews/basemistakes.shtml

      6. Workout Of The Week: Push the Tempo:
      The tempo run is one of the best training sessions a long-distance runner can do. Here’s why:
      Written by: Jim Vance
      If you’re planning to do an endurance race such as a marathon or half marathon and have hopes of performing well, then you need to
      train effectively and make sure your training reflects the demands of the event. One of the best ways to do this is to incorporate
      tempo runs into your training.
      A tempo run is a sustained effort at or just below threshold intensity and lasts anywhere from 20 minutes to two hours, depending on
      the specific event you are training for. Here are five reasons why this workout is one of the best training sessions you can do.
      1. Realistic Goals
      Because they are longer efforts, tempo runs can help you set realistic pace goals for your marathon, half marathon or other event.
      The longer you can hold a strong pace for a length of time similar to what you’ll attempt on race day, the more confident you’ll be
      that your pace goals are within your grasp. On the contrary, these runs can also help bring you back to reality and help you set
      more realistic pace goals if your training is not going as well as you hoped.
      More...from Competitor Magazine at:
      http://running.competitor.com/2010/11/training/workout-of-the-week-push-the-tempo_17816

      7. How Can I Speed Stress Fracture Healing?
      Running Doc:
      I was just diagnosed with a stress fracture of my tibia. The MRI apparently was very clear this is what I have. My doctor said no
      weight bearing exercise for 16 weeks and I could only exercise in the pool. I know there must be a quicker way to heal this! I need
      to run!
      Jesse T., Miami, FL.
      Thanks for the question, Jesse. I hear this all the time. The first thing you need to find is a doctor you can talk to who knows all
      the latest methods. Unfortunately no weight bearing exercise (including no cycling) is key to healing the bone, but 16 weeks is
      excessive nowadays unless you are osteoporotic or have a medical problem that doesn’t allow for quicker healing (calcium deficiency,
      estrogen deficiency etc).
      In order to shorten the healing time, here are some strategies:
      1.A full length flexible orthotic should be worn all the time while on your feet. It stops tibial rotation and allows the bone to
      heal.
      2.The avoidance of weight bearing exercise (running, walking, cycling, ellipitcal) I know is tough but if you do it, it’s like
      blowing on a burning ember. Stop and you will heal faster.
      3.Have your doctor order an EXOGEN bone stimulator. Most insurances cover it. You wear this device that produces a voltage you do
      not feel that brings in bone healing cells. It can cut healing by half the time.
      4.Finally, PRP (plasma rich platelet) injections which I have written about before are being used to speed healing. This injects
      sticky platelets next to (not into) the bone and the platelets attract your own body’s healing factors. I have seen stress fractures
      heal in 2 weeks as evidenced by MRI and physical exam! The only downside at this point is that insurances are not covering this
      procedure as of yet since it’s too new.
      More...from Competitor Magazine at:
      http://runningdoc.competitor.com/2010/11/29/how-can-i-speed-stress-fracture-healing/

      8. Rethink how you rehydrate when exercising:
      The question
      How much should I drink during exercise to stay properly hydrated?
      The answer
      Here’s a riddle posed recently by South African scientists: A group of soldiers undertook a gruelling 14.6-kilometre march during
      which they lost an average of 1.3 kilograms. But sophisticated measurements with isotope tracers showed the total amount in water in
      their bodies actually increased by 0.53 kilograms. Where did this “extra” water appear from?
      Groups such as the American College of Sports Medicine have long advocated weighing yourself before and after exercise to determine
      how much fluid you lost. A litre of water weighs exactly one kilogram – so by this calculation, if you’re a kilogram lighter, that
      means you sweated out one litre more fluid than you replaced by drinking. Lose more than about 2 per cent of your starting weight,
      the ACSM warns, and your performance will suffer due to dehydration.
      But the South African study, published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine by researchers at the University of Pretoria, adds
      fuel to a simmering debate about whether weight loss during exercise corresponds to water loss. They argue that some of the weight
      loss is from the energy stores you burn, and that your body has “hidden” stores of water that are released during exercise – which
      may mean we need to rethink how we approach hydration.
      No one disputes that weight loss and water loss could, in theory, be different, says Nicholas Tam, a doctoral student at the
      University of Cape Town, whose forthcoming study in the Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine found similar anomalies in half-marathon
      runners: a loss of 1.4 kilograms on average, but with no change in “total body water” measured with isotope tracers.
      More...from the Globe and Mail at:
      http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health/alex-hutchinson/rethink-how-you-rehydrate-when-exercising/article1815800/

      9. New Study Reports Effects of Endurance Running:
      Using a mobile MRI unit, researchers followed runners for two months along a 4,500-kilometer course to study how their bodies
      responded to the high-stress conditions of an ultra-long-distance race, according to a study presented November 29 at the annual
      meeting of the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA).
      "Due to the exceptional setting of this study, we could acquire huge amounts of unique data regarding how endurance running affects
      the body's muscle and body fat," said Uwe Schütz, M.D., a specialist in orthopedics and trauma surgery in the Department of
      Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology at the University Hospital of Ulm in Germany. "Much of what we have learned so far can also
      be applied to the average runner."
      The TransEurope-FootRace 2009 took place from April 19 to June 21, 2009. It started in southern Italy and traversed approximately
      4,488 kilometers to the North Cape in Norway. Forty-four of the runners (66 percent) agreed to participate in the study.
      More...from Science Daily at:
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/11/101129101910.htm

      10. Is Running Through Pain a Good Idea?
      Study of Long Distance Runners Suggests It’s Sometimes OK to Push on Despite Pain.
      Contrary to what’s been taught, you can run through pain.
      So say researchers who used a 45-ton mobile MRI unit to follow runners for two months along a 2,800-mile course to study how their
      bodies responded to the high-stress conditions of an ultra-long-distance race.
      "The rule that 'if there is pain, you should stop running' is not always correct," says study leader Uwe Schutz, MD, a specialist in
      orthopaedics and trauma surgery at the University Hospital of Ulm in Germany.
      If your pain is caused by muscle inflammation, it may be possible to continue running without risk of further tissue damage, he
      tells WebMD.
      But if you have a stress fracture, the pain may not go away and you may be at risk for further damage, Schutz says.
      Andreas Falk, of Sweden, who ran in the ultra-race, is a case in point. After suffering a muscle injury, he tells WebMD he had to
      walk instead of run for five days, literally crying four to five hours on the first few days due to the pain.
      More...from WebMD at:
      http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/news/20101129/running-through-pain-good-idea

      11. There a Greener Way To Work Out?
      How to burn more calories with fewer watts.
      I normally prefer to get my exercise outside. But when I got home from work yesterday, it was pitch dark and freezing, so I went to
      the gym. Staring at the rows of treadmills, elliptical trainers, and stationary bikes, I couldn't help but wonder: Which is the best
      choice for the environment?
      Your instinct to get outside is commendable, since many gyms are temples to environmental degradation (not to mention breeding
      grounds for all sorts of little nasties). The cavernous buildings, air-conditioned to bone-chilling temperatures for the handful of
      senior citizens working out at 10 a.m. on weekdays. The televisions in front of every machine. The jacuzzi that no one ever uses.
      It's enough to turn even the most athletic environmentalist into a locally grown, organic couch potato.
      If you don't want to vegetate through the dark months, there are a few things you can do to minimize the impact of your gym visits.
      First, stay off the treadmill. Treadmills are, by far, the most popular machines in the club, but they're also the most prodigious
      consumers of energy.
      On average, a treadmill uses between 600 and 700 watts of energy. That's the equivalent of watching three or four 46-inch LCD
      televisions or leaving 50 compact fluorescent light bulbs burning, for the duration of your workout. If you ran for two-and-a-half
      hours per week—the government's recommendation for ordinary adults—generating electricity for the treadmill would emit about 110
      tons of carbon dioxide annually. (That's about 1 percent of the annual CO2 emissions of the average car.)
      More...from Slate at:
      http://www.slate.com/id/2275789/

      12. VO2Max -The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com:
      ** Breaking Plateaus
      As we enter the last month of the year, many of you may be struggling with plateaus. As a runner, I admit it's easy to get stuck in
      a rut. You get used to doing the same workouts, the same number of weekly miles. Sometimes, it's hard to do more mileage, more
      speedwork. But if you want to improve your performance, you have to increase your training. If your training stays the same, don't
      expect your races to get faster. The human body is very good at adapting to stress when that stress is applied is small doses, but
      it also does something annoying-it habituates. To get faster, stronger, and break through plateaus, you must gradually and
      systematically increase the amount of training stress. Do this in other areas of your life, too. Gradually and systematically
      increase the amount of work you do. Make a commitment to yourself to be more productive in 2011, to do more, to be more. And break
      through those plateaus in your life.
      ** Surge Runs
      Want a great workout to practice reacting to other runners' surges? Run in a group for 4 to 5 miles, with one runner being
      designated as the pacesetter whose job it is to surge at different points in the run. When the pacesetter surges, practice reacting
      to the surge and picking up the pace to match the pacesetter. To vary the workout, instead of having just one pacesetter, each
      runner in the group can surge whenever he or she wants to, with the other runners reacting to the surge and covering the move. To be
      effective, surges should start abruptly and end gradually, with surges lasting at least 20 to 30 seconds.
      Want more specific workouts and secret training methods to take your running to new levels? Get a consultation with me, during
      which you can have all of your running and fitness questions answered live! http://www.runcoachjason.com/consulting
      ** An Animal Comparison of VO2max
      Despite such extraordinary aerobic feats as running one mile in 3 minutes, 43 seconds and a marathon in 2 hours, 3 minutes, 59
      seconds, humans actually do not fare well against many other animals in their ability to consume oxygen at a fast rate. Humans'
      maximal rate of oxygen consumption (VO2max) is equal to that of the pig and the rat, about half that of the horse and the dog, and
      only one-third that of the hunting fox. While dogs, wolves, foxes, and coyotes can sustain up to 32 times their resting metabolic
      rates during short-term aerobic exercise, the best human endurance athletes can sustain up to about 25 times their resting metabolic
      rates.
      Among all animals, flying insects have the highest rate of oxygen consumption relative to their size. For example, the VO2 of a
      hummingbird flapping its wings 80 beats per minute is 40 milliliters of oxygen per gram of body weight per hour which, in human
      terms, is equivalent to 666 milliliters of oxygen per kilogram of body weight per minute! As if this were not impressive enough,
      the flight muscles of worker honeybees, flapping their wings 250 beats per minute, consume 6 milliliters of oxygen per gram of body
      weight per minute, equivalent to 6,000 milliliters of oxygen per kilogram of body weight per minute in human terms! By comparison,
      the most elite human endurance athletes have a VO2max of 85 to 90 milliliters of oxygen per kilogram of body weight per minute.
      So if you're ever running in the woods and you see a wild dog or a wolf (or a honeybee), you better hope they don't run (or fly)
      after you!
      To view past newsletters go to: http://www.runcoachjason.com/newsletter
      Copyright Jason Karp All Rights Reserved - http://www.runcoachjason.com

      13. The Latest Research on Training and Racing at Altitude:
      Examining the effects of altitude on performance.
      A runner who trains at sea level and races at high altitude versus a runner who trains high and races high is like comparing apples
      to oranges. The athlete who logs his training miles in the mountains has the advantage, right? Recent research says maybe not,
      suggesting that prolonged periods of altitude training may actually hinder performance more than help it. The study, out of Oxford
      University, has received a good amount of attention from the media, some of which mistakenly implies that our previous beliefs about
      altitude training are misguided.
      Delving further into the issue and the new research, the work out of Oxford is clearly notable; however, it is one piece to a very
      complicated puzzle. The study looked at individuals who had a rare genetic condition that results in higher-than-average levels of a
      certain protein, called hypoxia-inducible factor (HIF), which induces the production of erythropoietin (EPO). This condition happens
      to mimic the process by which the body responds to high altitude.
      In an exercise bike test comparing five people with this condition to five matched participants without the condition, the
      researchers sought to track muscle metabolism (take note that these were not highly trained athletes). What they found was that
      those with the condition were able to handle less intensity and fatigued sooner than the controls. The differences were so
      pronounced that the results suggest that the decrease in endurance and overall performance in the muscles outweighs the benefits of
      altitude training, primarily the production of more oxygen-carrying red blood cells that bring fuel to the muscles.
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=21260

      14. Should you eat protein before exercise, or after?
      Eating protein after exercising may help rev up the body's muscle-making machinery, in both young and older men alike, a small study
      suggests.
      The study of 48 men - half in their twenties and the other half in their seventies -- found that in both age groups, consuming a
      protein drink after exercise led to a greater increase in muscle protein, compared with downing the drink after a period of rest.
      What's more, muscle protein increased at nearly the same rate in young and elderly men, the researchers report in the American
      Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
      That suggests that, contrary to some researchers' speculation, older age may not impair the way the body digests and absorbs protein
      from food, according to the researchers, led by Dr. Luc JC van Loon of Maastricht University Medical Center in the Netherlands.
      The study has a number of limitations. Besides its small size, it did not look at actual muscle mass changes over time -- but only
      short-term changes in participants' muscle-fiber proteins after the protein drink. So it is not clear what kinds of gains older or
      younger adults might see from having their protein post-workout.
      More...from Reuters at:
      http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6AT5YS20101130

      15. Digest Briefs:
      ** This Week in Running:
      10 Years Ago- Gert Thys (RSA) won the BUPA Great South (ENG) 10M by one second over Glynn Tromans (ENG),
      48:26 to 48:27. Paul Evans (ENG) was nearly a minute back in 3rd with a 49:21. Restituta
      Joseph (TAN) won the women's race by nearly two minutes, clocking a 55:10. Hayley Tullett
      (WAL) and Birhane Dagne (ENG) went 2-3 with 57:01 and 57:03 respectively.
      20 Years Ago- Robert Kempainen won the USA cross title by 12 seconds over Pat Porter. Porter had won
      eight straight titles going into this race. John Nuttall (ENG) came in 3rd. Lynn
      Jennings collected her 5th of nine USA cross titles with a 26 second margin over Shelly
      Steely. Annette Peters came in another 8 seconds back for 3rd.
      30 Years Ago- Jon Sinclair won the USA cross title by 12 seconds over Alan Scharsu. Nick Rose (ENG)
      was 3rd, another four seconds back. Mary and Julie Shea (sisters) went 1-2 with Mary
      12 seconds up for the title. Jan Merrill was 3rd, another 8 seconds back.
      40 Years Ago- Frank Shorter won his first of four consecutive USA cross titles, holding a 25 second
      margin over team-mate Jack Bacheler. Don Kardong came in 3rd, another 5 seconds back.
      The women's cross championships were held at a separate venue with Doris Brown collecting
      her 4th of five titles.
      50 Years Ago- Al Lawrence (AUS) won his second USA cross title, holding a six second margin over runnerup
      Fred Norris (ENG). Peter McArdle was reported as the first USA altho it is likely he was
      still IRL at the time. Billy Mills in 5th was the first native born American.
      60 Years Ago- Browning Ross (USA) won his 4th title at the Berwick "Marathon" (PA/USA), actually only 9 miles.
      Ross went on to win here the next seven years. He was also the editor of Long Distance Log
      from 1955 thru the 1960's. The Berwick Marathon celebrated its 101st running this year, now
      known as the Run for the Diamonds.
      From The Analytical Distance Runner, the newsletter for the Association of Road Racing Statisticians with a focus on races, 3000m
      and longer, including road, track, and cross-country events.

      *Please verify event dates with the event websites available from our FrontPage (www.runnersweb.com)

      December 4, 2010:
      Jingle Bell Run / Walk 5K - Birmingham, AL

      St. Jude Memphis Marathon Weekend - Memphis, TN

      Winter Sun 10K, Moab, UT

      XTERRA Trail Running World Championship - Oahu, HI

      XTERRA Victoria Bryant Trail Run - Royston, GA

      December 5, 2010:
      California International Marathon - Sacramento, CA

      Fukuoka Asahi International Marathon - Japan

      Metro PCS Dalls-White Rock Marathon - Texas

      Standard Chartered Marathon - Singapore

      Western Australia Ironman - Busselton, Australia

      Zappos.com Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Marathon & Half - NV

      June 25, 2011
      Emilie's Run
      www.EmiliesRun.com

      mailto:runnersweb@yahoogroups.com and in our Runner's Web Forum,
      available off our FrontPage. If you post to the mailing list and
      mailto:webmaster@... to notify us of the problem. To update
      your Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the
      website at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RunnersWeb/join , sign in and
      update your changes.

      Ken

      Ken Parker
      www.RunnersWeb.com
      mailto:kparker@...
      613-746-4053
      http://www.OACRacingTeam.com
      http://www.EmiliesRun.com

      RUNNER'S WEB AFFILIATE PROGRAMS:
      If you experience any delays in receiving your copy of the Digest,
      please advise us at:
      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for viruses.
      Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor (me) prior to being
      released to the group. If you have any questions regarding
      the options available for receiving this digest,
      mailto:Webmaster@...
      *NOTE*
      **[ Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two lines. If
      you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you paste
      the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or
      another appropriate suffix ].
      Note: An increasing number of media sites require free registration.
      If you wish to sign up for free access to sources for our
      articles without using your main email address we suggest the use of a
      mail alias program such as http://www.emailias.com.

      *** END OF RUNNER'S AND TRIATHLETE'S WEB DIGEST...***