Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest - November 5, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5 11:14 AM
      those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out
      our daily news, features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more. General questions should be posted to one of our forums available
      from our FrontPage.

      1. Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women - Canada's Fastest Women's 5K Emilie's Run is over for another year.
      Emily Tallen of Kingston won the race in 16:36.2 after finishing second twice and third once in the past three years. Race reports,
      photos and a video are available at the race website. The 2011 race will be run on June 25th. For more on the race visit the website
      at: http://www.emiliesrun.com.

      3. Toronto Waterfront Marathon, October 11, 2011
      Early Bird Special Oct 5-Nov 10: $75 + HST (Marathon only)

      4. Goodlife Fitness Toronto Marathon - May 15, 2011
      Note the date change to the spring starting in 2011,

      5. Training Peaks
      The Runner's Web has partnered with Training Peaks to provide online
      coaching from experts such as Hal Higdon, Joel Friel and Matt
      Fitzgerald. Sign up at:

      6. iRun Magazine
      More than a million Canadians are runners, making it this country's most popular recreational and fitness activity. Canadians run
      for exercise and we run to raise money for important causes. We run alone and in groups. And every year, hundreds of thousands of us
      participate in organized races, from fun runs to marathons, which are growing steadily.
      Until now, Canadian runners haven't had our own running magazine. But now, there's iRun, providing a uniquely Canadian perspective
      on the activity and the sport. Published six times a year, iRun educates, informs and inspires Canadian runners.
      The Team
      Mark Sutcliffe, Publisher and Editor
      Mark has more than 20 years of experience in the Canadian media business. An avid runner, he has completed five marathons and 10
      half-marathons. He writes a popular weekly column on running in the Ottawa Citizen and co-hosts The Running Show every week on The
      Team 1200 radio. Mark is the former Executive Editor of the Ottawa Citizen and has also launched several publications, including the
      Ottawa Business Journal, now in its second decade, and the Kitchissippi Times, a successful community newspaper in Ottawa. His
      writing has appeared across the country in daily newspapers, and magazines like Macleans and Canadian Business.
      Ray Zahab, Contributing Editor
      Ray Zahab is Canada's most renowned ultramarathon runner. A former pack-a-day smoker, Ray transformed his life by becoming a
      successful long-distance runner, winning some of the world's most challenging foot races. Beginning in November 2006, Ray and two
      other runners ran across the Sahara Desert in 111 days, averaging 70 kilometres per day without a single day's rest. Ray is an
      accomplished public speaker, writes regularly about running and coaches athletes striving to achieve their own goals.
      iRun is Canada's highest-circulation and most popular running magazine. With a total distribution of 50,000 and more than 9,000
      subscribers, iRun is leading the market in the rapidly growing and highly desirable demographic of Canadian runners.

      9. TreadmillReviews.net
      "An ultimate running resource that writes reviews on treadmills for
      almost every make and model out there. High quality reviews that
      really go above and beyond to make your treadmill hunting easy."

      The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional
      Organization for the Running Industry.

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS: Check the "New Subscribers' note at the bottom of the

      Add the Runner's Web News feed to your site through a simple
      JavaScript. Check out OnTri.com's implementation at:
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is now available

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet
      Explorer from the link on our FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com .

      Follow us on Twitter at:

      I've created a Runner's Web Group on Facebook. To join the Runner's Web Facebook group, if you are not a member of Facebook, you

      If anyone is looking for a web mail provider, you might wish to consider Google's GMail. You can now sign up for free Gmail at
      Google WITHOUT AN INVITATION at: www.gmail.com

      The Runner's Web has partnered with Training Peaks to provide online coaching from experts such as Hal Higdon, Joel Friel and Matt
      Fitzgerald. Sign up at:

      Event directors, add your event to our Event Calendar at:

      Watch live and webcast of Track and Field and Road races on Universal Sports
      Sign up at:

      We have 2649 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe at:

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey. Sheila is one of Ottawa's top
      multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public Health and works in the field of
      nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the University of California, San Diego. Her column index is available at:

      * Peak Running Performance Peak Running Is The Nation's Most Advanced
      Running Newsletter. Rated as the #1 Running Publication by Road Runner Sports (Worlds Largest Running Store) , Peak Running caters
      to the serious / dedicated runner. Delivering world class running advice are some of running's most recognizable athletes including
      Dr. Joe Vigil (US Olympic Coach), Scott Tinley (2 Time Ironman Champ) Steve Scott (3 Time Olympian) and many more. This bi-monthly
      newsletter has been around for over 13 years, and in the past two it has been awarded the "Golden Shoe Award" in recognition of it's
      outstanding achievements.

      * Running Research News: RRN's free, weekly, training update provides subscribers with the most-current, practical, scientifically
      based information about training, sports nutrition, injury prevention, and injury rehabilitation. The purpose of this weekly e-zine
      is to improve subscribers' training quality and to help them train in an injury-free manner. Running Research News also publishes a
      complete, 12-page, electronic newsletter 10 times a year (one-year subscriptions are $35); to learn more about Running Research
      News, please see the Online Article Index and "About Running Research News" sections below or go to RRNews.com. Check out the
      article index at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RRN_index.html

      community. We have NO personal postings this week.

      1. Avoiding the Hard/Easy Trap
      Including moderate workouts can lead to outstanding results.
      2. On the Run
      The pleasures and pitfalls of everyday running.
      3. VO2max - The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com
      4. Can biomechanics boost my performance?
      5. Running 101: The 8 Basic Types of Runs
      6. Strength Training and Strength Exercises for Injury Prevention
      7. Leisure-time exercise 'reduces depression risk'
      8. Nutritionist Jackie Keller Offers Delicious Stocking
      9. Physical Fitness Curbs Frequency and Severity of Colds, Study Finds
      10. Carbo-loading calculator: second thoughts
      11. A Personal Trainer in the Palm of Your Hand
      12. The Ever Shifting Paradigm of Training
      13. The Power of Protein
      14. Survey Predicts Top 20 Fitness Trends For 2011
      15. Digest Briefs

      How has the charity fund raising aspect affected races?

      Will Usain Bolt run sub 9:50 for the 100m?
      Answers Percent Votes
      1 Yes 59% 23
      2 No 38% 15
      3 Don't care 3% 1
      Total Votes: 39

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage (http://www.runnersweb.com) as well as checking the results of previous polls.

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE MONTH: RyanandSaraHall.com
      Visit their website at:

      BOOK/VIDEO/MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Cycling - Philosophy for Everyone: A Philosophical Tour de Force
      Review "Building off of the life stories and philosophies of notable figures in the cycling world such as Lance Armstrong, Lennard
      Zinn and former road racer Pedro Delgado, and philosophers like Aristotle, Aquinas and Socrates, "Cycling: A Philosophical Tour de
      Force" covers the philosophical territory of the cycling lifestyle." (Bicycle Retailer & Industry News, July 2010)

      "This is a wonderful book that captures the breadth and depth of the sport and experience of cycling. A great tour of the mental,
      physical, cultural and historical paths a bicycle can travel"
      —Michael Weiss, Chair, Tour of Missouri Professional Bicycle Race; Owner, Big Shark Bicycle Company

      "Cycling – Philosophy for Everyonereminds its readers of the joy, freedom, and accomplishment one feels when riding a bicycle,
      whether that entails encountering Manhattan traffic on the way to the Central Park bandit race, cresting Mount Tamalpais to the
      unmatched views of redwoods and San Francisco, or punching through gale force winds on an isolated Midwest farm road far from
      everyone and everything.
      I found myself fondly recalling the new bike I received for Christmas that first provided freedom from my parents' oversight and
      produced a liberating sensation that I was the master of my domain as I explored Chicago as a 10-year-old.

      You too will reconnect to bicycling in ways you never expected long before you reach the last page."
      —Tom Zoumaras, Former Masters National Champion (1997 and 1998); Professor of History, Truman State University
      To buy the book or for more information:

      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html and

      1. Avoiding the Hard/Easy Trap:
      Including moderate workouts can lead to outstanding results.
      Legendary Oregon track and field coach Bill Bowerman was famous for popularizing the hard/easy principle of running. While commonly
      accepted now, the idea of alternating harder days, such as interval workouts, with easy days of comfortable running was
      revolutionary at the time. Prior to its popularization it was not uncommon to see runners train by performing three or more hard
      interval days in a row before a light day was taken. Today, the idea of alternating harder and easier running workouts is so
      ingrained that it’s rarely questioned. However, this may have put us into a trap of polarizing our training into these two distinct
      categories without considering the myriad of intensities in between. Let’s take a look at some of these forgotten medium-intensity
      workouts and learn how they can be incorporated into your own training to increase your performance.
      Last January, I faced a difficult coaching conundrum. My best runner had come down with a case of mononucleosis and I faced the
      difficult task of getting him in racing shape after a long break. Unlike an injury like a stress fracture, where you can gradually
      increase training once the bone is healed, mononucleosis severely impacts your ability to recover and handle different workloads on
      a day-to-day basis. Therefore, you have to be very careful to ensure that workouts do not push the runner over the edge, sending him
      into a downward spiral towards relapse. This limited the amount of hard workouts we could do to maybe once per week. The question
      became: How do we get an athlete ready to race from training that included one hard workout per week and a bunch of jogging?
      More...from Running Times at:

      2. On the Run:
      The pleasures and pitfalls of everyday running.
      I’m an almost-every-day jogger, but I hang my head in shame when I gaze upon the running record of Mark Covert, the so-called Cal
      Ripken of U.S. streaking. In this case, “streaking” is the term for running a long stretch of days in a row, not running without
      shorts. Though I guess they aren’t mutually exclusive. Covert, 59, of Lancaster, Calif., has run every day since July 23, 1968,
      according to the United States Running Streak Association (yes, there is such an organization). The track coach at Antelope Valley
      Community College recently passed 145,000 miles, the equivalent of running around the circumference of the earth about six times.
      There have been a few close calls along the way. Covert broke his foot 20 years ago, and it was too swollen to put in a cast, so “I
      put a construction boot on and was able to hobble around on that.” When asked if he would expect his students to do something like
      this, Covert answered, “I tell my kids all the time to take a day off. This is not a mark of intelligence, this is just something I
      enjoy doing.” When I asked him yet another dumb question—whether he’d enjoy not doing it—he said he doesn’t know, because it’s been
      43 years since he hasn’t.
      More...from Newsweek at:

      3. VO2max - The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com:
      * Anaerobic Capacity Ladder
      Want a great workout to increase your anaerobic capacity while adding variety and fun to the workout? Run 2 to 4 sets of 300, 400,
      and 600 meters at your mile race pace, with a 1-to-1½ work-to-rest ratio. For example, a runner who can run one mile in 5:30 should
      run 61 seconds, 82 seconds, and 2:03 for the 300, 400, and 600 meters, respectively, with 1:30 to 3:00 jog recovery (with the upper
      end of the recovery range following longer work periods) and 3:00 to 5:00 recovery between sets.
      Since this workout gets progressively harder within each set, make sure you don't run too fast for the 300 and 400. The pace should
      be the same for each repetition.
      Want more specific workouts and training concepts to become a better runner? Get a consultation with me, during which you can have
      all of your running and fitness questions answered live! http://www.runcoachjason.com/consulting.
      * Definitive Word on Abs
      Unlike what we are led to believe from late-night TV infomercials, sit-ups or crunches, regardless of how you do them or what piece
      of equipment you use, will not shrink your waistline. It would take a billion crunches to add up to enough calories to make a
      difference in your waistline. Crunches can strengthen and increase the size of your abdominal muscles, but not make you lose fat.
      You can train your abs forever and you still won't see the muscles unless you eliminate the fat covering them. All people with flat
      stomachs or six-packs have a very low percentage of body fat. So there really are two parts to getting the abs you want -- making
      the muscles slightly bigger and more defined through strength training (or some other kind of resistance exercise that uses your abs
      a lot) and (here's the more important part) decreasing your body fat percentage so you can see the muscles. As many women know,
      getting six-pack abs (or even just a flat stomach) is easier for men. That's because men have less essential fat than women (3-4%
      vs. 12-13%). For women to get a flat stomach, they would have to get their body fat percentage down to under what is considered
      * How Much Exercise is Enough?
      If you or someone you know is trying to lose weight but hasn't been successful, it may be that you or they are not exercising
      enough. Research shows that people need 150 to 250 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise per week to prevent weight gain and for
      only modest weight loss. For significant weight loss, research shows that you need at least 250 minutes per week of vigorous
      exercise. People who exercise more than 250 minutes per week lose more weight than those who exercise less.
      To view past newsletters go to: http://www.runcoachjason.com/newsletter
      Copyright Jason Karp All Rights Reserved - http://www.runcoachjason.com

      4. Can biomechanics boost my performance?
      The question
      Can biomechanical analysis make me a better (or less injury-prone) athlete?
      The answer
      One of the key members of Canada’s track and field team at last month’s Commonwealth Games in New Delhi never set foot on the track.

      Instead, biomechanist Dana Way deployed his tools – high-speed camera, motion capture software, video goggles – from the sidelines
      or from a bird’s-eye perch in the stands, producing rapid analysis between rounds for coaches and athletes.
      “Dana is a fundamental part of our team,” Athletics Canada head coach Alex Gardiner says. “If you’re not using a biomechanics and
      video review, you’re at a huge disadvantage in Olympic-level competition, without question.”
      Technology that has long been used for research in university biomechanics labs has made the jump to elite sport, where systems to
      monitor the forces and motions of an athlete’s body down to the millimetre are increasingly seen as essential tools for training and
      competition. And the same techniques are now being offered to recreational athletes, with the focus on preventing injuries rather
      than boosting performance.
      More...from the Globe and Mail at:

      5. Running 101: The 8 Basic Types of Runs:
      If you want to run your best, you’ve got to do a variety of workouts. Here’s how.
      There are eight basic types of runs that are practiced by runners of all levels everywhere. These formats evolved through a global
      trial-and-error process over many decades. They survived because they work. If you want to get the most out of the time you devote
      to training, you will need to learn and practice them too. You can add all kinds of wrinkles to these formats (for example by
      combining two of them within a single session), but even in their most basic form these workouts will take you far.
      Recovery Run
      A recovery run is a relatively short run performed at a steady, slow pace. Recovery runs serve to add a little mileage to a runner’s
      training without taking away from performance in the harder, more important workouts that precede and follow them. Recovery runs are
      best done as the next run after a hard workout such as an interval run. Do your recovery runs as slowly as necessary to feel
      relatively comfortable despite lingering fatigue from your previous run.
      Example: 4 miles easy
      Base Run
      A base run is a relatively short to moderate-length run undertaken at a runner’s natural pace. While individual base runs are not
      meant to be challenging, they are meant to be done frequently, and in the aggregate they stimulate big improvements in aerobic
      capacity, endurance, and running economy.
      Example: 6 miles at natural pace
      Long Run
      Generally, a long run is simply a base run that lasts long enough to leave a runner moderately to severely fatigued. The function
      of a long run is to increase raw endurance. The distance or duration required to achieve this effect depends, of course, on your
      current level of endurance. As a general rule, your longest run should be long enough to give you confidence that raw endurance will
      not limit you in races.
      Example: 15 miles at natural pace
      More...from Competitor Magazine at:

      6. Strength Training and Strength Exercises for Injury Prevention:
      Learn how strength training can prevent sports injury.
      Strength training has been a part of sports conditioning for many years. It is touted for its effects on speed, strength, agility
      and muscle mass. Often overlooked though are its benefits for injury prevention.
      What is Strength Training?
      Strength training is moving the joints through a range of motion against resistance, requiring the muscles to expend energy and
      contract forcefully to move the bones. Strength training can be done using various types of resistance, with or without equipment.
      Strength training is used to strengthen the muscles, tendons, bones and ligaments and to increase muscle mass.
      Strength training should be implemented in the conditioning program of all sports, not just strength sports. The increase in speed,
      strength, agility and muscular endurance will benefit athletes of every sport.
      Types of Strength Training
      Strength training comes in a variety of formats. The formats are defined by the type of resistance and equipment used.
      Machine weights - Machine strength training includes resistance exercises done using any of the various machines designed to produce
      resistance. These include machines with weight stacks, hydraulics, resistance rods or bands, and even the use of Thera-Band or
      resistance tubing.
      The resistance (or weight) may be changed to increase the intensity of the exercise. The range of motion and position of movement is
      controlled by the machine. The resistance may be constant throughout the movement or may change due to the set-up of the pulley and
      cam systems. Machines often add a degree of safety but neglect the stabilizer, or helper, muscles in a movement.
      More...from the Stretching Handbook at:

      7. Leisure-time exercise 'reduces depression risk':
      People who take regular exercise during their free time are less likely to have symptoms of depression and anxiety, a study of
      40,000 Norwegians has found.
      But physical activity which is part and parcel of the working day does not have the same effect, it suggests.
      Writing in the British Journal of Psychiatry, the researchers said it was probably because there was not the same level of social
      The charity Mind said that exercise and interaction aids our mental health.
      Higher levels of social interaction during leisure time were found to be part of the reason for the link.
      Researchers from the Institute of Psychiatry at King's College London teamed up with academics from the Norwegian Institute of
      Public Health and the University of Bergen in Norway to conduct the study.
      Participants were asked how often, and to what degree, they undertook physical activity in their leisure time and during the course
      of their work.
      More...from the BBC at:

      8. Nutritionist Jackie Keller Offers Delicious Stocking:
      Stuffers to Maintain Holiday Health
      Jackie Keller, nutrition expert, licensed & certified wellness coach, and the Founding Director of NutriFit, Los Angeles’ premier
      gourmet healthy food company and home meal delivery service, provides healthy stocking stuffers to enhance health during this
      holiday season.
      According to Keller, smart food choices can be easy, fun and delicious with the right ingredients. Meals can be seasoned to
      perfection while cutting back on sodium with NutriFit Spice Blends (six fabulous, all natural, salt and sugar free blends). Excess
      salt consumption can increase risks of hypertension and cardiovascular disease, and cause bloating and water retention. The Spice
      Blends are a healthy and cost-effective way to enhance the flavor of a meal while keeping excess salt at bay.
      Additionally, NutriFit offers healthy snack options which include the brand’s popular Mighty Mixes, available in four varieties
      –Mighty Man Mix, Mighty Mom Mix, Mighty Mind Mix and Mighty Munchy Mix. Other snack options include five High Energy Bars available
      in Chocolate, Raisin, Orchard, Peanut Butter and Cranberry.
      “The holiday season can create havoc with overall health and may even trigger weight gain,” says Keller. “Extra pounds can be
      avoided without compromising the spirit of the season – it all comes down to smart food choices that tempt the taste buds and are
      easily accessible.”
      NutriFit Spice Blends sell for $5.25 each and for $24.95 for a Spice Blend Sampler, both the Mighty Mixes and the High Energy bars
      retail for $19.95 per dozen. Jackie Keller is a nutrition expert, licensed & certified wellness coach, and the Founding Director of
      NutriFit, Los Angeles’ premier gourmet healthy food company. She has worked with Hollywood’s hottest stars, including Reese
      Witherspoon, Julie Benz, Diablo Cody and Andrew Garfield. For information or additional tips from Jackie visit
      www.nutrifitonline.com, or www.jackiekeller.com.

      9. Physical Fitness Curbs Frequency and Severity of Colds, Study Finds:
      People who are physically fit and active have fewer and milder colds, indicates research published online in the British Journal of
      Sports Medicine.
      The US researchers base their findings on 1,000 adults up to the age of 85 whose respiratory health was tracked for 12 weeks during
      the autumn and winter of 2008.
      Six out of 10 participants were women, and four out of 10 were aged between 18 and 39; 40% were middle aged, and one in four were
      aged 60 and older.
      All the participants reported back on how frequently they took aerobic exercise and rated their fitness levels using a validated 10
      point scoring system. They were also asked about lifestyle, diet and recent stressful events, as these can all affect immune system
      The number of days with cold symptoms varied considerably between winter and autumn, with an average of 13 days in the winter and 8
      days in the autumn.
      More...from Science Daily at:

      10. Carbo-loading calculator: second thoughts:
      Okay, I’m a bit late to the party on this one. A couple of weeks ago, the newswires were buzzing with the news of MIT/Harvard MD-PhD
      student Benjamin Rapoport’s new calculator that allows you to determine exactly how much carbohydrate you need to load up on before
      running a marathon. Putting aside my initial skepticism (surely how much carb you need to load up on is well known by now?!), I
      finally had a chance to check out both the calculator and the PLoS Computational Biology paper it’s based on (the full text is
      freely available at the link).
      The quick summary: the calculator is just a toy, and should not guide your fuelling decisions; the paper, on the other hand, I found
      surprisingly interesting — though I still wouldn’t use it to plan my fuelling strategy.
      Essentially, what Rapoport does is crunch the numbers on exactly how much carbohydrate is available within the body: circulating in
      the blood stream, stored in the liver, and loaded in the muscles. He brings in a bunch of other well-known information about things
      like the proportion of carbs versus fat burned at various exercise intensities, adds a few simplifying assumptions, and produces a
      model of exactly how much carbohydrate a typical runner can store under normal and “carbo-loaded” conditions, and how fast they can
      run a marathon without having those stores run out.
      His summary and synthesis of the science is great — an excellent primer for the interested amateur on how marathon nutrition works.
      I might quibble with a few of his assumptions — he cites a couple of studies from the 1960s and 70s, for instance, to claim that
      “the total energetic cost of running depends only on the distance run and not on running speed,” whereas more recent studies have
      disputed this. But overall, it’s interesting stuff.
      More...from Canadian Running at:

      11. A Personal Trainer in the Palm of Your Hand:
      For getting in shape, it's hard to beat hiring a personal trainer. You can set goals, get a workout routine that's just right for
      you and change things up as you progress. Better still, you have someone to encourage you through that last set of crunches you
      don't feel like doing. But paying for a trainer can be pricey on top of a gym membership and if you travel a lot, appointments can
      become too erratic to do much good. So we wondered if we could use mobile apps and podcasts to get some of the best aspects of a
      trainer relationship—setting goals, personalized workouts and outside motivation—in a portable and affordable service.
      We looked for services with workouts that could be done at home or on the road without much, if any, extra equipment and that
      provided more personalization, or variety than a fitness DVD. We wanted something that could be comprehensive—not focused on a
      single body part or style of exercise.
      We didn't find anything that would turn a couch potato into a fitness buff overnight or that would become a one-stop workout source.
      But we did find some interesting and affordable tools that would give us cardio-centric workouts that were well-rounded and let us
      keep in shape on the road.
      More...from the Wall Street Journal at:

      12. The Ever Shifting Paradigm of Training:
      Human beings are creatures of habit, and it is often hard to adapt or change them. The training process is not immune to habitual
      fluid, adaptable, and creative process or progress will stagnate. This is one reason why “one size fits all” plans often are not
      effective for the individual athlete.
      The key point is that an energy system or fitness substrate reaches a plateau after it has had been trained for an extended period
      of time. For instance, performing low aerobic base training all season long, season after season, will offer little chance for
      speed to increase. This type of training does have a very important place in the developmental process, especially for an athlete
      new to endurance sports, but only advances aerobic energy systems and pathways. By completely ignoring higher intensity training,
      opportunity is lost.
      Tis is where periodization comes in-- hitting the athlete with the right type of training at the right time for their individual
      needs. A carefully constructed annual training plan that delineates the targeted fitness substrates can be the difference between a
      breakthrough season and another lackluster one.
      More...from the Sport Factory at:

      13. The Power of Protein:
      You'd think that if the low-carb diet craze taught us anything, it's the importance of protein. But even if you haven't eaten a
      hamburger bun since the late '90s, it doesn't necessarily mean you're getting enough of what typically goes between the bread.
      Recently, the diet pendulum has swung in favor of counting calories—an effective weight-loss tool, but not one that always
      prioritizes protein. "Many women perceive foods that are rich in protein as being high in calories or fattening," says Laura J.
      Kruskall, Ph.D., R.D., director of nutrition sciences at the University of Nevada at Las Vegas. This isn't the case, but diehard
      counters know that most proteins will cost you a few more calories than fruits and veggies will.
      26 Weight-loss tips that actually work.
      What's more, protein isn't as portable as other foods. The best sources—fish, meat, dairy, beans—aren't as quick or convenient as
      most carbs or even fruits and veggies. "Traditional protein sources aren't usually grab and go. And if they are, they're often fried
      or unhealthy," says nutrition expert Angela Ginn, R.D., a spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association.
      More...from Active.com at:

      14. Survey Predicts Top 20 Fitness Trends For 2011
      ACSM experts examine what’s hot, what’s not in the health and fitness industry
      INDIANAPOLIS – This year’s attention to nationwide health care reform has cemented the health and fitness industry’s emphasis on the
      need for proper accreditation and certification, according to an American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) survey of fitness trends
      published in the November/December issue of ACSM's Health & Fitness Journal®. The growing demand for educated and experienced
      fitness professionals claimed the top spot in the survey for the fourth consecutive year.
      “As the market in this sluggish economy becomes even more crowded and competitive, the need for regulation, either from within the
      industry or from external sources, is growing,” said the lead author of the survey, Walter R. Thompson, Ph.D., FACSM. “For example,
      a number of states and the District of Columbia are considering legislation to regulate personal trainers just as it does
      physicians, lawyers and pharmacists.” Thompson, an exercise physiologist at Georgia State University and a Fellow of ACSM, is also
      spokesperson for the ACSM American Fitness IndexTM.
      The survey, now in its fifth year, was distributed to ACSM-certified health and fitness professionals worldwide and was designed to
      reveal trends in various fitness environments. Respondents around the world returned more than 2,200 completed surveys. Thirty-one
      potential trends were given as choices, and the top 20 were ranked and published by ACSM.
      The most surprising findings, experts say, are the trends that have fallen off the list for 2011 – balance training, stability balls
      and Pilates. Pilates suffered the worst fall, disappearing after a ninth place ranking in 2010.
      “It appears from this survey that Pilates may not have been a trend at all but may be considered a fad in the health and fitness
      industry,” said Thompson. “Next year’s survey will either embrace Pilates as a trend or will answer this question.”
      New trends to the list include worker incentive programs, clinical integration and reaching new markets. These additions directly
      reflect some of the work ACSM is doing to globalize the Exercise is Medicine® initiative.
      “Interest in medical fitness, worker incentive programs, and worksite wellness programs may be a direct result of health care reform
      measures and Exercise is Medicine,” said Thompson. “With an estimated 80 percent of Americans not having a regular exercise program
      or a place to exercise, health and fitness professionals must search for news ways to deliver their services to people who need
      The top ten fitness trends predicted for 2011 are:
      1. Educated and experienced fitness professionals. Due to increases in the number of organizations offering health and fitness
      certifications, it’s important that consumers choose professionals certified through programs that are accredited by the National
      Commission for Certifying Agencies, such as those offered by ACSM.
      2. Fitness programs for older adults. As the baby boom generation ages into retirement, some of these people have more discretionary
      money than their younger counterparts. Therefore, many health and fitness professionals are taking the time to create
      age-appropriate fitness programs to keep older adults healthy and active.
      3. Strength training. Strength training remains a central emphasis for many health clubs. Incorporating strength training is an
      essential part of a complete physical activity program for all physical activity levels and genders.
      4. Children and obesity. With childhood obesity growing at an alarming rate, health and fitness professionals see the epidemic as an
      opportunity to create programs tailored to overweight and obese children. Solving the problem of childhood obesity will have an
      impact on the health care industry today and for years to come.
      5. Personal training. More and more students are majoring in kinesiology, which indicates that students are preparing themselves for
      careers in allied health fields such as personal training. Education, training and proper credentialing for personal trainers have
      become increasingly important to the health and fitness facilities that employ them.
      6. Core training. Distinct from strength training, core training specifically emphasizes conditioning of the middle-body muscles,
      including the pelvis, lower back, hips and abdomen – all of which provide needed support for the spine.
      7. Exercise and weight loss. In addition to nutrition, exercise is a key component of a proper weight loss program. Health and
      fitness professionals who provide weight loss programs are increasingly incorporating regular exercise and caloric restriction for
      better weight control in their clients.
      8. Boot camp. Boot camp is a high-intensity structured activity program modeled after military style training and led by an
      instructor. Boot camp incorporates cardiovascular, strength, endurance and flexibility drills in both indoor and outdoor settings.
      9. Functional fitness. This is a trend toward using strength training to improve balance and ease of daily living. Functional
      fitness and special fitness programs for older adults are closely related.
      10. Physician referrals. Physician referrals, a key component of the Exercise is Medicine initiative, partner medical professionals
      with heath and fitness professionals to seamlessly integrate exercise into their patients’ lives.
      The full list of top 20 trends is available in the article "Worldwide Survey of Fitness Trends for 2011.”
      ACSM’s Health and Fitness Journal® is an official publication of the American College of Sports Medicine, and is available from
      Lippincott Williams & Wilkins at 1-800-638-6423.
      The American College of Sports Medicine is the largest sports medicine and exercise science organization in the world. More than
      40,000 international, national, and regional members and certified professionals are dedicated to advancing and integrating
      scientific research to provide educational and practical applications of exercise science and sports medicine.

      15. Digest Briefs:
      ** This Week in Running:
      10 Years Ago- Henry Kipkosgei (KEN) won the 19th edition of the Euro Frankfurt (GER) Marathon in
      2:10:40 as Kenyans went 1-2-3, Abel Gisemba (2:11:01) and Benjamin Rotich (2:11:56)
      rounding out the top three. Esther Barmasai (KEN) won the women's race over Tomoko
      Kai (JPN) and Claudia Dreher (GER), clocking 2:31:04 viz 2:31:20 and 2:31:57 for
      the other two respectively.
      20 Years Ago- Martin Pitayo (MEX) won the Old Style Chicago (IL/USA) Marathon in a virtual dead
      heat with Antoni Niemczak (POL), both given times of 2:09:41. Rex Wilson (NZL)
      was 3rd at 2:10:48. Aurora Cunha (POR) won the women's race by more than two
      minutes over Carole Rouillard (CAN), 2:30:11 to 2:32:28. Midde Hamrin (SWE)
      ran 2:34:27 for 3rd.
      30 Years Ago- Eberhardt Weyel (GER) won the Neuf Brisach (FRA) Marathon by nearly four minutes
      over Stefan Pichler (GER), 2:13:33 to 2:17:31. Jürgen Dächert (GER) was 3rd in
      2:18:21 as German runners swept the first seven places. Angelika Stephan (GER)
      won the women's race in 2:47:11.
      40 Years Ago- Michiko Gorman (USA) ran 100 miles on an indoor track in Los Angeles (CA/USA),
      taking 21:04:xx to finish.
      50 Years Ago- Marthinus Wild (RSA) won the Transvaal Championships (RSA) in 2:26:47.4 with Delof
      Vorster (RSA) in 2nd at 2:32:05.5.
      60 Years Ago- Emil Zatopek (CZE) won the 5000m in the Soviet Union vs Czechoslovakia meeting with
      a time of 14:21.4.
      From The Analytical Distance Runner, the newsletter for the Association of Road Racing Statisticians with a focus on races, 3000m
      and longer, including road, track, and cross-country events.

      *Please verify event dates with the event websites available from our FrontPage (www.runnersweb.com)

      November 6, 2010:
      Lithia Loop Trail Marathon - Lithia Park, OR
      USA Marathon Trail Championships

      Select Staffing Santa Barbara Int'l Marathon & Half - CA

      ZOOMA Atlanta Half-Marathon & 5K - GA

      November 6-14, 2010:
      Pan Pacific Masters Games - Gold Coast, Australia

      November 7, 2010:
      IAU 100K World Championship, Gibraltar

      ING NY City Marathon - New York, NY
      Runner's World Coverage
      Watch the NYC Marathon on Universal Sports

      Race for the Cure - San Diego, CA

      Santa Clarita Marathon - Santa Clarita, CA

      (Inaugural) Women's Half Marathon - Scottsdale-Tempe, AZ

      World Run Day - Global June 25, 2011

      Emilie's Run

      mailto:runnersweb@yahoogroups.com and in our Runner's Web Forum,
      available off our FrontPage. If you post to the mailing list and
      mailto:webmaster@... to notify us of the problem. To update
      your Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the
      website at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RunnersWeb/join , sign in and
      update your changes.

      All revenue from advertisers and affiliate programs goes into the
      support of running and triathlon through sponsorship of events,
      teams, clinics and fund raising programs for Canada's Olympic athletes.

      This newsletter has been composed using Outlook set to "Text" format.
      The Digest is sent via an email list at
      If you experience any delays in receiving your copy of the Digest,
      please advise us at:
      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for viruses.
      Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor (me) prior to being
      released to the group. If you have any questions regarding
      the options available for receiving this digest,
      **[ Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two lines. If
      you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you paste
      the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or
      another appropriate suffix ].
      Note: An increasing number of media sites require free registration.
      If you wish to sign up for free access to sources for our
      articles without using your main email address we suggest the use of a
      mail alias program such as http://www.emailias.com.