Runner's and Triathlete's Wed Digest - October 1, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2010
      those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out
      our daily news, features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more. General questions should be posted to one of our forums available
      from our FrontPage.

      1. Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women - Canada's Fastest Women's 5K Emilie's Run is over for another year.
      Emily Tallen of Kingston won the race in 16:36.2 after finishing second twice and third once in the past three years. Race reports,
      photos and a video are available at the race website. The 2011 race will be run on June 25th. For more on the race visit the website
      at: http://www.emiliesrun.com.

      3. Toronto Waterfront Marathon, September 26, 2010
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/STWM_Transporter.html

      4. Goodlife Fitness Toronto Marathon - October 17, 2010
      http://www.torontomarathon.com/

      5. Training Peaks
      The Runner's Web has partnered with Training Peaks to provide online
      coaching from experts such as Hal Higdon, Joel Friel and Matt
      Fitzgerald. Sign up at:
      https://home.trainingpeaks.com/create-account-personal-edition.aspx?af=RunnersWeb

      6. iRun Magazine
      More than a million Canadians are runners, making it this country's most popular recreational and fitness activity. Canadians run
      for exercise and we run to raise money for important causes. We run alone and in groups. And every year, hundreds of thousands of us
      participate in organized races, from fun runs to marathons, which are growing steadily.
      Until now, Canadian runners haven't had our own running magazine. But now, there's iRun, providing a uniquely Canadian perspective
      on the activity and the sport. Published six times a year, iRun educates, informs and inspires Canadian runners.
      The Team
      Mark Sutcliffe, Publisher and Editor
      Mark has more than 20 years of experience in the Canadian media business. An avid runner, he has completed five marathons and 10
      half-marathons. He writes a popular weekly column on running in the Ottawa Citizen and co-hosts The Running Show every week on The
      Team 1200 radio. Mark is the former Executive Editor of the Ottawa Citizen and has also launched several publications, including the
      Ottawa Business Journal, now in its second decade, and the Kitchissippi Times, a successful community newspaper in Ottawa. His
      writing has appeared across the country in daily newspapers, and magazines like Macleans and Canadian Business.
      Ray Zahab, Contributing Editor
      Ray Zahab is Canada's most renowned ultramarathon runner. A former pack-a-day smoker, Ray transformed his life by becoming a
      successful long-distance runner, winning some of the world's most challenging foot races. Beginning in November 2006, Ray and two
      other runners ran across the Sahara Desert in 111 days, averaging 70 kilometres per day without a single day's rest. Ray is an
      accomplished public speaker, writes regularly about running and coaches athletes striving to achieve their own goals.
      Distribution
      iRun is Canada's highest-circulation and most popular running magazine. With a total distribution of 50,000 and more than 9,000
      subscribers, iRun is leading the market in the rapidly growing and highly desirable demographic of Canadian runners.
      http://www.irun.ca/

      9. TreadmillReviews.net
      "An ultimate running resource that writes reviews on treadmills for
      almost every make and model out there. High quality reviews that
      really go above and beyond to make your treadmill hunting easy."
      http://www.treadmillreviews.net/

      ASSOCIATIONS:
      The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional
      Organization for the Running Industry.
      http://www.runningusa.org/

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS: Check the "New Subscribers' note at the bottom of the
      newsletter

      Add the Runner's Web News feed to your site through a simple
      JavaScript. Check out OnTri.com's implementation at:
      http://www.ontri.com/runnersweb.html
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is now available

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet
      Explorer from the link on our FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com .

      TWITTER
      Follow us on Twitter at:
      http://twitter.com/runnersweb

      FACEBOOK
      I've created a Runner's Web Group on Facebook. To join the Runner's Web Facebook group, if you are not a member of Facebook, you

      If anyone is looking for a web mail provider, you might wish to consider Google's GMail. You can now sign up for free Gmail at
      Google WITHOUT AN INVITATION at: www.gmail.com

      The Runner's Web has partnered with Training Peaks to provide online coaching from experts such as Hal Higdon, Joel Friel and Matt
      Fitzgerald. Sign up at:
      https://home.trainingpeaks.com/create-account-personal-edition.aspx?af=RunnersWeb

      Event directors, add your event to our Event Calendar at:
      http://runnersweb.mhsoftware.com/

      Watch live and webcast of Track and Field and Road races on Universal Sports
      Sign up at:
      http://www.universalsports.com//SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23000&KEY=&SPID=13055&SPSID=105551

      We have 2650 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe at:

      ROAD RUNNER SPORTS
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/Mobile_RRS.html

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey. Sheila is one of Ottawa's top
      multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public Health and works in the field of
      nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the University of California, San Diego. Her column index is available at:

      * Peak Running Performance Peak Running Is The Nation's Most Advanced
      Running Newsletter. Rated as the #1 Running Publication by Road Runner Sports (Worlds Largest Running Store) , Peak Running caters
      to the serious / dedicated runner. Delivering world class running advice are some of running's most recognizable athletes including
      Dr. Joe Vigil (US Olympic Coach), Scott Tinley (2 Time Ironman Champ) Steve Scott (3 Time Olympian) and many more. This bi-monthly
      newsletter has been around for over 13 years, and in the past two it has been awarded the "Golden Shoe Award" in recognition of it's
      outstanding achievements.

      * Running Research News: RRN's free, weekly, training update provides subscribers with the most-current, practical, scientifically
      based information about training, sports nutrition, injury prevention, and injury rehabilitation. The purpose of this weekly e-zine
      is to improve subscribers' training quality and to help them train in an injury-free manner. Running Research News also publishes a
      complete, 12-page, electronic newsletter 10 times a year (one-year subscriptions are $35); to learn more about Running Research
      News, please see the Online Article Index and "About Running Research News" sections below or go to RRNews.com. Check out the
      article index at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RRN_index.html

      community. We have NO personal postings this week.

      THIS WEEK'S DIGEST ARTICLE INDEX:

      1. Cool Down Correctly
      There's more to a proper cool-down than a token jog.
      2. Getting Fit Without the Pain
      3. Fitter, Happier, More Productive
      Why masters runners need general-strength routines.
      4. Running form and the Shoe Industry: where do we go from here?
      5. Beware the dangers of the Triathlon
      6. Maintaining Your Mind Motor
      Ten tips for finding the motivation to endure.
      7. Top 5 Training Myths for Endurance Athletes: The Alternative Truths
      8. Become a Better Runner, Become a Better Mover
      9. Sports nutrition: how your diet affects your immune system when you exercise
      10. Sugary Sports Drinks Mistakenly Associated With Being Healthy, Say Researchers
      11. How to Build Your Marathon Muscles
      12. Phys Ed: Are Bad Knees in Our Genes?
      13. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine
      14. VO2max - The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com

      What is your favourite post-race activity?
      Chilling out
      Drinking a beer
      Ice bath
      Massage
      Spinning
      Swimming
      Walking
      Other

      PREVIOUS POLL RESULTS:
      Winter is coming! Where do you run during the winter months?
      Answers Percent Votes
      1 Outdoors 42% 35
      2 Indoor track 27% 22
      3 Treadmill 31% 26
      Total Votes: 83

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage (http://www.runnersweb.com) as well as checking the results of previous polls.

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE MONTH: SimonWhitfield.com.
      BACKGROUND
      Born in Kingston, Ont., Simon spent most of his time as a young child playing soccer. He competed in his first triathlon at age 11
      when a family friend organized a race just north of his hometown. Simon and his friend decided to enter and see who would win. Simon
      says he competed in "boxer shorts with cows on 'em, and a Mickey Mouse hat." Although he lost to his friend, his life as an
      adrenaline junkie took shape, and he became more serious in his training for triathlons. Simon immediately began honing his skills
      in the local Canadian Kids of Steel program.
      Simon moved to Australia at age 17 and attended his father's old school because, he said, he wanted a change of scenery. In 1993 he
      met Greg Bennett. "He was like a big brother to me," Simon says of Bennett, the number-one ranked triathlete in the world in 2002.
      "He would ask me if I wanted to go for a training run with him, and I'd tell him no...then after he'd leave, I would go search his
      bag to steal his training log and learn as much as I could." By the time he returned from Australia, Simon wanted to train
      seriously. "My goal had always been to be the best in the world at something.”
      Simon accomplished his goal when he was the surprise winner of the inaugural Olympic triathlon competition at the 2002 Games in
      Sydney. Simon was in 28th place after the swim, and 27th after the bike, more than a minute behind the leader. But his blistering
      pace in the run, 16 seconds faster than anyone else, enabled him to make up the ground and outkick Germany's Stephan Vuckovic for
      the gold medal. Simon later went on to win his second memorable Olympic medal when he captured the silver in equally thrilling
      fashion in 2008.
      A self-proclaimed "pick-up sports addict," Simon will play any sport, anytime, anywhere in order to be active. He is also a big
      hockey fan who cheers for any Canadian team. Simon also enjoys riding his cruiser bike, drinking coffee and loves being a dad. Simon
      enjoys his work with charitable organizations in Canada, and visiting schools to speak to children about setting goals.
      CAREER HIGHLIGHTS
      • Gold Medallist at 2000 Olympic Summer Games in Sydney, Australia
      • Silver Medallist at 2008 Olympic Summer Games in Beijing, China
      • Three-time Olympian (Sydney, Athen’s, Beijing)
      • Gold Medallist at 2002 Commonwealth Games
      • Won Prestigious 2009 World Cup in Des Moines, U.S.A.
      • Won bronze medal at 2009 World Team Championships in Des Moines, U.S.A.
      • 12 World Cup victories, 21 podium finishes, seven top-10 finishes at World Championships
      • Seven-time National Champion
      2009 RESULTS
      2009 – World Championship Series, Tongyeong, Korea: 14
      2009 – World Championship Series, Washington, U.S.A.: DNF
      2009 – World Cup, Des Moines, U.S.A.: 1
      2009 – World Team Championships, Des Moines, U.S.A.: 3
      2009 – World Championship Series, Hamburg, Germany: 9
      2009 – National Championships, Kelowna, B.C.: 1
      2009 – Elite World Championships, Gold Coast, Australia: 8
      Visit Simon's website at:
      http://simonwhitfield.com/

      BOOK/VIDEO/MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Usain Bolt 9:58
      Product Description
      Eight days ! ! three gold medals ! ! three world records ! one amazing reputation firmly established. Usain Bolt's life -- and the
      world of sport -- would never be quite the same again. 16 August 2008 ! Beijing, China ! the Bird's Nest stadium ! 91,000 spectators
      and an unimaginably huge global television audience ! the final of the men's 100 metres at the Games of the XXIX Olympiad. The crack
      of the starter's pistol triggers thousands of camera flash bulbs ! and precisely 9.69 seconds later a young Jamaican streaks across
      the finishing line to claim the gold medal and his destiny. Four days later Bolt claims the 200 metres gold, setting a new world
      record of 19.30 into the bargain, the night before his 22nd birthday. Then on 22nd August he leads the Jamaican team to more glory
      in the 4 x 100 metres relay final, in yet another world record time. Since those heady days of the Beijing Olympics in August 2008,
      Usain Bolt has lowered both the 100 metres and 200 metres world records once again - to a barely believable 9.58 and 19.19 seconds
      respectively - as the World Championships in Berlin brought two more gold medals and yet more superlatives. At a stroke the Jamaican
      has become the greatest sports star in the world. 9.58 is Usain Bolt's story so far, in his own words, beautifully illustrated with
      dozens of specially commissioned photographs. It's about a skinny kid from the parish of Trelawny, where they harvest the best yams
      in the world. It's about growing up playing cricket and football in the warm Jamaican sun, then discovering that he could run fast,
      very fast. It's about family, friends and the laid-back Jamaican culture. It's about Auntie Lillian's pork and dumplings and Dad's
      grocery store in the sleepy village of Sherwood Content. It's about what makes him tick, where he gets his motivation and where he
      takes his inspiration. It's about the highs and the lows, the dedication and sacrifices required to get to the top. It's about fast
      food, partying, dancehall music, fast cars and that lightning bolt pose. It's about radiating sport's biggest smile. This is the
      story of the fastest man on the planet.
      About the Author
      Usain St Leo Bolt was born in Trelawny, Jamaica, in August 1986. At the 2008 Summer Olympic Games in Beijing he won gold in the 100m
      (9.69 seconds), the 200m (19.30) and the 4x100m relay (37.10), becoming the first man to win three sprinting events at a single
      Olympics since Carl Lewis in 1984. He also became the first man to set world records in all three at a single Olympics. At the World
      Championships in Berlin in 2009 he claimed the sprinting double, and became the first man to hold the 100m and 200m World and
      Olympic titles at the same time. He broke the world records for both the 100m (9.58) and the 200m (19.19) in the process. In 2009 he
      was voted Laureus World Sportsman of the Year, and he also won the BBC's Overseas Sports Personaility of the Year award in both 2008
      and 2009. He lives in Kingston, Jamaica.
      To buy the book or for more information:
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/000737139X/runnerswe

      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html and

      1. Cool Down Correctly:
      There's more to a proper cool-down than a token jog.
      Searing lungs and burning legs, hands on your knees, head full of fog. You've earned this sweat. Allow yourself this moment to revel
      in the completion of a long hard day, but remember your workout isn't over. Though a trackside nap may seem inviting, you take a
      swig of your drink, put on your sweats and trot off on a 20-minute cool-down.
      My hat's off to you. You're doing a heck of a job. And yet, if that jog is all you do after a race or hard workout, you're not
      cooling down sufficiently.
      "A jog certainly satisfies the general flushing of the body," says Justin Whittaker, D.C., therapist of choice to Shalane Flanagan,
      Paula Radcliffe, Kara Goucher and others. "But after certain workouts you'll end up with residuals that a jog can't necessarily
      clear out. And they will spill into the next day and the next day, until you have layers and layers of adhesions and muscles that
      can't recover, and that's when you get an injury cycle."
      Your old routine isn't a bad one. It just needs tweaking
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=20755

      2. Getting Fit Without the Pain :
      Athletes over 50 usually hire a physical therapist after a problem, often an injury if not surgery.
      But more older people are starting to hire physical therapists before they get hurt to fill the role of personal trainer.
      Jane Esparza does step-ups to strengthen arms and legs without straining knees, as physical therapist Jennifer Gamboa looks on.
      .Before he began training for a marathon, 62-year-old veteran runner Joseph Goldberg consulted with a physical therapist about the
      shin splints that had developed whenever he'd run more than eight miles at a stretch. She diagnosed an imbalanced gait, ordered
      custom orthotics for him to wear in his shoes and prescribed exercises to strengthen his hips, a corrective proven to reduce
      leg-related ailments. "I finished the marathon without injury," says Mr. Goldberg, a Virginia attorney.
      By fitness-training standards, physical therapists who specialize in sports medicine are extraordinarily highly educated in the
      science of preserving, restoring and improving human function. Most have master's degrees, and the profession is pushing its members
      to obtain doctorates as a matter of course by 2020.
      But while physical therapists have become fixtures on the sidelines of professional and college sports, their health-preserving
      skills are little known among recreational athletes. "We're the best-kept secret in sports medicine," says James Glinn, a physical
      therapist who runs a set of clinics called Movement for Life, based in San Luis Obispo, Calif.
      More...from the WSJ at:
      http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704654004575518010995537450.html?mod=WSJ_LifeStyle_Lifestyle_11_1

      3. Fitter, Happier, More Productive:
      Why masters runners need general-strength routines.
      If you’ve been paying even moderate attention to this site over the last year and a half, you’ll have noticed a growing number of
      articles and videos about what we’ve been calling “general strength exercises.” These are Pilates-meets-football-practice exercises
      such as plank poses, lateral leg lifts, simulated hurdle stepovers and the like, designed to build hip mobility, core strength,
      balance and other good stuff. Why have we been devoting a fair amount of attention to these non-running routines? Because they’re an
      increasingly integral part of most world-class distance runners’ training, and that’s part of our editorial charge — to be informed
      of how the best runners in the world train, and to then present the essentials of that training in a way that you, despite not being
      a full-time runner, can make use of to meet your performance goals.
      But there’s another reason why we’ve been big on presenting general strength work: We’ve seen the benefits in our own running. I’m
      not alone on the Running Times staff in noting greater fluidity and less injury since being dedicated to general strength work. And
      I’m not alone in thinking this work is especially important for people like me — 46 years old, a runner for more than three decades
      and someone who spends a good part of his non-running time hunched over a laptop. Our editor-in-chief, Jonathan Beverly, has a
      roughly analogous bio, and over the last year we’ve frequently compared notes on our general strength results. The executive summary
      of those discussions? Hey, I feel younger. This stuff works!
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=20788

      4. Running form and the Shoe Industry: where do we go from here?
      Running form and shoes are the biggest topics in the running industry right now. I’ve written about each substantially and while I
      enjoy the topic, I sometimes get tired of focusing so much time on them. I try and balance the topics out with that of my real love,
      how to train, but can’t quite pull away from the form/shoe topic as the demand for such information is high and the amount of
      misinformation out there is incredible. So, given that last week I asked you all what direction the shoe industry should go, I
      wanted to do a post analyzing our present state in terms of form and shoes.
      At the same time, there has been a backlash against both minimalist shoes and more importantly running form that is demonstrated in
      such articles as Matt Fitzgerald’s latest one (here). First, let me say that I think disagreement is a good thing and I actually
      appreciate the back lash. As you may know, one of my central guiding principles is that we tend to overemphasize “new” discoveries
      until they settle down and find their rightful place. Secondly, Pete Larson posted a long but entertaining video of the Newton
      running shoe conference (http://www.runblogger.com/2010/09/newton-panel-discussion-on-natural.html) that also touched a nerve and
      needed a response.
      More...from the Science of Running at:
      http://www.scienceofrunning.com/2010/09/running-form-and-shoe-industry-where-do.html#more

      5. Beware the dangers of the Triathlon:
      I must admit, one group of athletes that I have an enormous amount of respect for are triathletes. Now, I know that every athlete
      is dedicated to their sport and all display a single-minded attitude to training, but for some reason, and I can’t quite put my
      finger on what it is, triathletes seem to be in another league. Their attitude to training borders on fanaticism and their capacity
      to endure pain is as high as any group of athletes that I’ve ever worked with. They are also notorious for not stopping training due
      to injury. This can be both a strength and a weakness. More on this in a bit.
      Triathletes are also very interesting to work with as a coach or physio, because the three disciplines are so vastly different. Each
      have their own skillset and differing physiological demands. These also present the clinicians with different challenges in terms of
      injury patterns. It’s hard to get a triathlete with a knee injury to offload their injury by cross training…they’re already doing
      it!
      The other variance within the sport is the distance. Olympic distance (OD) athletes complete a 1.5km swim, 40km ride and a 10 km
      run, whereas Ironman distance (ID) athletes complete a 3.8km swim, 180km ride, 42.2km run. At the elite end, it’s very rare that
      someone would compete in both forms, because the physiological demands and thus the training programmes are very different. For
      example, a long run for OD might be a 1 hour, moderate intensity piece, whereas in ID it might be a 2.5 hour, low intensity piece.
      "The take-home message that I want to spread this week is to make sure your training is properly periodised (particularly in terms
      of hill work) and to get the proper advice and support when an injury occurs, particularly cycling and running-related lower limb
      overuse injuries."
      This brings me to an interesting piece of research that’s recently been published in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning
      Research. The authors examined injury patterns in both elite OD and ID triathletes. They found that:
      The knee was the most commonly injured body part in OD athletes and the second most commonly injured site in ID athletes.
      The most commonly injured site in ID was the Achilles tendon, possibly due to the amount of hill running completed during training.
      In terms of training time lost, it seems that running injuries were the most serious, followed by cycling injuries.
      I know the way the mind of a triathlete often works. If they have an Achilles injury due to loads of hill sessions, they may take
      time off out of their sneakers but compensate by adding extra time in the saddle. What these findings suggest however, is that we
      may be ‘paying Peter to rob Paul’ and that this extra time on the bike can translate into a higher risk of knee and lower back
      overuse injuries.
      The take-home message that I want to spread this week is to make sure your training is properly periodised (particularly in terms of
      hill work) and to get the proper advice and support when an injury occurs, particularly cycling and running-related lower limb
      overuse injuries.
      Finally, don’t assume that two sessions less running due to an injury means that you have extra training time available for cycling;
      the costs may far outweigh the benefits.
      If you want to learn how to best train for a triathlon, keep an eye out for our brand new training course, the First Time Triathlon
      Training Programme, which the Peak Performance team have put together. This fantastic new programme is aimed at beginners who want
      to have a go at this challenging multi-sport. To whet your appetite ahead of tomorrow's big launch (Tuesday 28th September) you'll
      find a sample workout from the course below.
      http://www.pponline.co.uk/download/triathlon-training-for-beginners-increasing-strength-42340

      6. Maintaining Your Mind Motor:
      Ten tips for finding the motivation to endure.
      Roughly 800 runners registered for this year’s Leadville Trail 100 in Colorado. On race day morning, about 650 of those individuals
      started and, of those, 363 finished. If it were easy to make it to the start line and keep pushing to the finish, everybody would
      have finished this year’s Leadville race. But, as we all know, completing a 100-mile race, or any endurance event for that matter,
      is a tough and trying process.
      Why do we put ourselves through such trials? What drives us, as distance runners, to subject ourselves consistently to countless
      hours of training and grueling competitive events? The reasons vary from athlete to athlete, but a common thread exists. A
      satisfying race is synonymous with fulfilling pre-established goals. We enjoy the rush of achievement and gain a sense of pleasure
      from our well-deserved accomplishment. What happens, however, when that rush becomes rust and the pleasure becomes pain? How can we
      motivate and refocus after the bad days?
      Extrinsic and Intrinsic Motivation
      Motivation can be classified in two ways: extrinsic and intrinsic. Extrinsic motivation refers to external material rewards. For
      runners, examples might be top finishes in a race, awards, prize money, sponsorship or media interviews. The ultimate outcome, not
      necessarily the training and racing, drive extrinsically motivated individuals to excel. This scenario can sustain athletes as long
      as they consistently win, set records and nail every workout as planned; however, this can’t always be done. How do we move forward
      if, on paper, we have failed?
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=20718

      7. Top 5 Training Myths for Endurance Athletes: The Alternative Truths:
      An abundance of information exists for endurance athletes; sometimes too much. It can become quite difficult to figure out exactly
      what you should and shouldn’t do in training because many sources have conflicting information. Below are some of the myths that
      seem to be perpetuated over and over again, even though the scientific research doesn’t back them up.
      1. There’s no point in doing high-intensity workouts if you’re training for a long-distance event, like a marathon, since you’ll
      never be going that hard during the event.
      No matter what event you are training for, it’s useful to change up the intensity of your workouts to make sure you work all your
      physiological systems, as well as to prevent physical and mental staleness. Research has shown that athletes who perform sprint
      workouts were able to improve their longer-term endurance performance. That doesn’t mean that you do high-intensity intervals, like
      sprints or hill repeats, all the time, but adding them to your total training mix will make you a better athlete.
      2. If you want to lose weight, go out and ride or run for long periods of time without eating. If you train in the morning, don’t
      eat beforehand.
      No, no, no, no, no. Your body needs fuel in order to perform at its best. If you try to train without sufficient fuel stores, not
      only will you wear yourself out in the long run, but your immediate workout will have only a fraction of the quality it should have.
      Consume gels, sports drinks and/or bars to maintain a steady supply of carbohydrate during your workout. Make sure you also take
      advantage of recovery nutrition, like the POWERBAR® RECOVERY shake, within 30 minutes of the end of your training bout; this will
      maximize those glycogen stores so you can come back and train hard the next day.
      More...from PowerBar at:
      http://www.powerbar.com/training/default.aspx

      8. Become a Better Runner, Become a Better Mover:
      I see too many runners just start running. They eliminate some very important aspects. No soft tissue work, no pre-run warm-up, no
      drilling, they just begin to run. This strategy can run you right into a physical therapy clinic. You must take the time to create a
      recovery and regeneration program and implement it into your overall running program so you can truly maximize your performance.
      Remember if you are hurt you can not train, and if you can not train you can not get better. So take the time to devise your
      recovery program to reduce injury and enhance your running.
      I just conducted a running clinic and we discussed the importance of soft tissue work, pre-run warm-up strategies, running drills
      for better economy and functional strength training to enhance your strength and power. If you missed this educational clinic, don’t
      worry because I am going to give you some of the concepts we talked about.
      First we went over foam rolling techniques. Foam rolling is a great way to “self massage” your muscles. You can reduce and better
      yet eliminate knots that are bundled up in the muscles from running, daily moving and activity. When you improve the tissue quality
      of the muscle you improve blood flow and flexibility. You will move better. A foam roll is a very important tool for runners and
      other endurance athletes as it can tremendously assist in injury prevention. When you roll you want to find tender areas in your
      muscles. Go slow and methodical and when you hit a tender spot, stop and pulse over that area for 20 seconds, then continue to other
      parts of the muscle. Here are the muscles runners need to concentrate on to reduce some common injuries seen in the sport:
      More...from TriFuel at:
      http://www.trifuel.com/training/run/become-a-better-runner-become-a-better-mover-–-part-1
      Part 2: http://www.trifuel.com/training/run/become-a-better-runner-become-a-better-mover-–-part-2

      9. Sports nutrition: how your diet affects your immune system when you exercise:
      Exercise is not always kind to the human immune system
      When sedentary mice begin to exercise regularly, their immune systems become significantly stronger(1). Unfortunately, exercise is
      not always quite so kind to the human immune system.
      Acute exercise, in particular, is no friend to your lymphocytes and neutrophils - the white blood cells particularly involved in
      fighting off infection. For example, research reveals that marathon runners are about six times more likely to come down with a
      respiratory tract infection during the week after a race than sedentary controls. As far as long-term effects are concerned, the
      news is not necessarily better: two important studies have found no difference in natural immunity between well-trained and
      untrained human subjects(2,3). Two other longitudinal investigations found that exercise had no significant impact on natural killer
      cell activity in healthy elderly subjects(4) and in individuals with rheumatoid arthritis(5). Natural killer (NK) cells are special
      white blood cells that actively destroy tumour cells and certain virally-infected tissues.
      Fortunately, some cross-sectional studies have detected enhanced natural immunity in elite cyclists(6) and also in runners(7)
      compared with sedentary control subjects. Additionally, research has uncovered augmented resting levels of natural killer cell
      activity in elderly women after 16 weeks of training(8) and in mildly obese women after 15 weeks of moderate training(9). Why do
      some human studies link exercise with improved immune function while others do not? Certainly body composition and diet could be
      confounding factors.
      More...from Peak Performance Online at:
      http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/sports-nutrition-how-your-diet-affects-your-immune-system-when-you-exercise-497

      10. Sugary Sports Drinks Mistakenly Associated With Being Healthy, Say Researchers:
      Children who practice healthy lifestyle habits such as eating fruits and vegetables and engaging in physical activity may be
      negatively impacting their health because they tend to consume large amounts of flavored and sports beverages containing sugar,
      according to research at The Michael & Susan Dell Center for Healthy Living at The University of Texas Health Science Center at
      Houston (UTHealth).
      "Children and parents associate these drinks with a healthy lifestyle despite their increased amount of sugar and lack of
      nutritional value," said Nalini Ranjit, Ph.D., principal investigator and assistant professor of behavioral sciences at the UTHealth
      School of Public Health. The study will be published in the October issue of Pediatrics.
      More...from Science Daily at:
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/09/100927141150.htm

      11. How to Build Your Marathon Muscles:
      While we all run at different paces and in different places, many of us share a common goal — to get faster. It might be faster than
      your buddy, or faster in your next race, or even faster than yesterday…but the minute you hit “stop” on your watch it’s running
      human nature to start doing the math on how you can improve. Problem is, with so many programs promising fast gains, the vast
      majority of runners don’t conceptually know how to begin getting faster. Should you run longer? Should you cap your heart rate? Do
      you need to go faster? Is it the shoes? The answer, actually, is closer than you think: if you want to become a faster runner, you
      need to focus on the pace your running muscles can sustain.
      The Heart of the Problem
      If you are like 80 percent of the runners on the road today, you own and use a heart rate monitor to guide your training. If not,
      you have probably seen the color-graded chart of exercise intensity on the wall of your local YMCA or gym, encouraging you to hit a
      target heart rate for specific exercise benefits.
      More...from Active.com at:
      http://tinyurl.com/2db2e4j

      12. Phys Ed: Are Bad Knees in Our Genes?
      Are fragile knees inherited? That intriguing question motivated a new study published earlier this month in The British Journal of
      Sports Medicine, during which researchers looked at one family’s propensity for shredding anterior cruciate ligaments during sports.
      The report was part of a much larger, ongoing study of risk factors for A.C.L. injury led by researchers, affiliated with the
      Cincinnati Children’s Hospital and Ohio State University, which involves thousands of young athletes. For this pocket version of the
      larger experiment, the scientists singled out a set of fraternal twin girls who already had been videotaped in the laboratory while
      wearing reflective markers. The angles of their knees during landing and cutting maneuvers had been analyzed, and the knees
      themselves measured. At the time of the taping, both girls’ knees were healthy. But within a year, each had suffered a catastrophic
      A.C.L. tear during separate volleyball and basketball games, as had an older sister, who wasn’t part of the original study.
      “We thought this repeated incidence of A.C.L. tears within one family was important to look at,” said Timothy Hewett, Ph.D., the
      director of sports-medicine research for Ohio State University and Cincinnati Children’s Hospital and lead author of the new study.
      “In my lab, we have another set of twins, identical young women, who are post-docs. They both had torn their A.C.L.’s” as
      high-school athletes. “Their father, who is one of a set of triplets, also had torn his A.C.L.,” as had his two triplet brothers,
      Mr. Hewett said. “Those incidences,” together with the injuries to the fraternal twins, “made us wonder, How much does familial
      predisposition influence your risk for an A.C.L. tear?”
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/29/phys-ed-are-bad-knees-in-our-genes/

      13. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine:
      ** Lifestyle More Important than Genes for Longevity
      How long you live is usually up to you. Extensive research show that most people who live to be 100 have never had any one else in
      their family also live to be 100. Longevity
      researcher James W. Vaupel of the Max Planck Institute in Germany feels that longevity is only three percent genetic and 97 percent
      environmental. Compare that to factors that govern how tall you will be, which are more than 80 percent genetic.
      For most people, living to 90 or 100 requires a healthful diet, daily exercise and avoidance of exposure to life-shortening
      infections and toxins. Centenarians virtually never have diabetes or arteriosclerosis, the most common causes of death in North
      America today.
      One of the best ways to compare the effects of genetics and environment on lifespan is to study twins (Twin Research, December
      1998). The Danish Twin Study showed that a woman whose twin sister lives to be 100 has a four percent chance of living that long
      (the general population has about a one-percent chance). The Swedish Twin Registry Study followed 3,656 identical and 6,849
      same-sex fraternal twins. By analyzing the age of death of twins born between 1886 and 1900, the authors found that longevity is
      determined a maximum of one-third by genetics and more than two-thirds by environmental factors.
      Certain genes have been found to shorten or extend life, but reports on these genetic variations show that they are rare and
      exceptional. Paul Lichtenstein of the Karolinska Institute
      reported a gene called APO E4 that shortens life by carrying cholesterol into arteries to form plaques, increasing heart attacks and
      dementia. There is also a long-life gene called CETP-VV that prevents heart attacks and dementia. People who have CETP-VV have
      high blood levels of the good HDL cholesterol and large particle size cholesterol that prevent heart attacks.
      However, most of the diseases that shorten life are caused primarily by environmental factors. The greatest killers in North
      America (heart disease, cancer, diabetes, dementia) share the same primary risk factors: *being overweight, *not exercising, *not
      eating enough fruits and vegetables, *eating processed meats and red meat, *smoking, *drinking alcohol to excess, *storing fat
      primarily in your belly, and *lack of vitamin D.The more risk factors you have, the greater your chance of suffering debilitating
      disease and dying prematurely.
      ** Plantar Fasciitis
      One of the most common injuries in tennis and jogging is plantar fasciitis, pain on the bottom of the heel. A band of tissue called
      the plantar fascia extends from your five toes, along the bottom of your foot to attach on the bottom of your heel. When you run,
      you land on your heel and raise yourself on your toes as you shift your weight to your other foot, causing all your weight to be
      held up by your plantar fascia. This repetitive force can tear the fascia from its attachment on your heel.
      Several factors increase force on the fascia, such as shoes that have stiff soles that do not bend in the right place just behind
      the ball of your big toe, shoes that are too wide for your feet, running too fast for the present strength of your plantar fascia,
      or not allowing enough time to recover between fast workouts. It can also be caused by:
      • wearing high heels, loafers or flats without support
      • gaining weight
      • increased walking, standing, or stair-climbing
      • starting a new exercise program too quickly
      • tight heel cords or abnormally high or low arches
      Plantar fasciitis can also be the first site of pain for arthritis. Doctors have no medications that help to heal the plantar
      fascia. Cortisone injections and aspirin-like pills can reduce pain, but they may also delay healing.
      If you have plantar fascitis, stop running and limit walking until you can run without feeling pain. Since you pedal with your knees
      and hips and place little force on your fascia, you can usually pedal a bicycle without feeling pain. Use shoes that have flexible
      soles. Wear arch supports that limit the rolling in motion of your feet, stretch your calf muscles and wear night splints. Surgery
      to cut the plantar, called fasciotomy, is usually ineffective and may even prevent healing. I have treated some patients with
      infractible pain, unconventionally, with 10 mg/day alindronate for three months.
      Some podiatrists now offer a non-surgical treatment for plantar fascitis that does not respond to the conventional treatments. The
      Food and Drug Administration has approved The Dornier EPOS extracorporeal shockwave machine that has been shown to cure persistent
      plantar fascitis. If your heel pain has not been cured by other treatments, check with a podiatrist to see whether extracorporeal
      shockwave treatment (http://www.mirkinfoot.com/shockwave_therapy.php) is for you. More...
      http://www.mirkinfoot.com/heel_pain.php
      1) Phys and Sprts Med August, 1991.
      2) MS Mizel, JV Marymont, E Trepman. Treatment of plantar fasciitis with a night splint and shoe modification consisting of a steel
      shank and anterior rocker bottom. Foot & Ankle International 17: 12 (DEC 1996):732-735.
      3) HB Kitaoka, ZP Luo, KN An. 3) M Powell, WR Post, J Keener, S Wearden. Effective treatment of chronic plantar fasciitis with
      dorsiflexion night splints: A crossover prospective randomized outcome study. Foot & Ankle International 19:1 (JAN 1998):10-18.
      4) Mechanical behavior of the foot and ankle after plantar fascia release in the unstable foot. Foot & Ankle International 18: 1
      (JAN 1997):8-15. Operations involving fasciotomy affect arch stability and should not be performed in patients with evidence of
      concomitant pes planus deformity.
      5) DB Thordarson, PJ Kumar, TP Hedman, E Ebramzadeh. Effect of partial versus complete plantar fasciotomy on the windlass mechanism.
      Foot & Ankle International 18: 1 (JAN 1997):16-20. Partial plantar fasciotomy decreases the arch-supporting function of the plantar
      fascia in addition to weakening the structure.
      6) must be considered experimental.
      ** Excessive Sweating
      Excessive sweating can be a sign of infection, stress or a decline in sex hormones, or it can be normal for you. When your body
      temperature rises, hot blood flows to your brain, which sends signals to increase the flow of blood to your skin and start you
      sweating. Your body temperature rises naturally when you exercise or have an infection. However, you can sweat without a high
      temperature when hormone levels drop. At the menopause, women lose most of their estrogen and when their temperatures rise, they
      sweat, even if the change is from below normal to normal. The same mechanism occurs when men lose their hormones, such as when they
      are being treated for prostate cancer.
      You sweat the most under your arms and around your breasts, genitals and rectum. Many cases of excessive sweating can be controlled
      by applying products such as Drysol (20 percent aluminum chloride in alcohol) on your armpits and wrapping plastic wrap over them
      before you go to sleep If your armpits itch or burn, remove the plastic and wash the area with soap and water. This process reduces
      sweating for six to eight days. You can repeat the procedure when you start to sweat heavily again.
      Most antiperspirants contain aluminum, which is the third most abundant element on the earth's surface and is safe for external use.
      Increased amounts of aluminum have been found in brains of people who have died of Alzheimer's disease, but all damaged tissue picks
      up heavy metals. The increased aluminum is the result of the damage, not the cause. No responsible studies have demonstrated any
      link between antiperspirant use and Alzheimer's, breast cancer or any other disease.
      In 1998, Dr. Walter Shelley of the Medical College of Ohio developed a breakthrough treatment for severe hand sweating when he
      injected botulinum toxin (Botox) into patients' palms. The patients stopped sweating on their palms for 4 to 12 months.
      Another possible treatment for sweaty hands is a device called Drionic, where you place your hands on a special wet pad and have a
      weak current run through your hands; I have not personally evaluated this device. Scopolamine can also help to prevent sweating, but
      it can make you dizzy so you must take it in very low doses. Propanthelin 15 mg pills will reduce sweating for a few hours, but it
      can also make you feel dizzy.
      Many people sweat profusely because they are nervous about appearing before an audience. An Inderal pill taken one half hour before
      public speaking or any other high-pressure event can prevent the sweating, shaking and other effects of stage fright. Inderal is a
      beta blocker commonly used to control blood pressure; it is a safe and very effective way to get rid of even the worst stage fright.
      Check with your doctor.
      1) WB Shelley, NY Talanin, ED Shelley. Botulinum toxin therapy for palmar hyperhidrosis. Journal of the American Academy of
      Dermatology. 38:2 Part 1 (FEB 1998):227-229. Address WB Shelley, Med Coll Ohio, Dept Med, Div Dermatol, POB 10008, Toledo, OH 43699
      USA.
      2) Naumann M, et al. Archives of Dermatology 1998(March);134:301-304.
      3) Drionic, available from General Medical Company, 1935 Armacost Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90025-9937. I have not personally
      evaluated this machine.
      4) M Heckmann, S Breit, A Ceballosbaumann, M Schaller, G Plewig. Axillary hyperhidrosis: successful treatment with Botulinum
      toxin-A. Hautarzt 49: 2 (FEB 1998):101-103. (Dysport, 400 Units) was injected intradermally in one axilla.
      5)IR Odderson. Axillary hyperhidrosis: Treatment with botulinum toxin A. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 79: 3(MAR
      1998):350-352. They received bilateral axillary injections with 100 units of botulinum toxin type A, and within 5 days reported
      cessation of excessive sweating.
      From Dr. Gabe Mirkin at:
      http://www.drmirkin.com

      13. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine:
      ** VO2max Cut-Downs
      Here's a great workout to increase your VO2max while running a range of distances and incorporating different percentages of VO2max
      in the same workout:
      Run 1 to 2 sets of 1,600, 1,200, 1,000, 800, and 400 meters at 5K race pace for the 1,600, VO2max pace (about 2-mile race pace;
      10-15 seconds per mile faster than 5K race pace) for the 1,200, 1,000, and 800, and faster than VO2max pace for the 400, taking
      slightly less time than the time of the work period to recover. For example, a runner who can run 5K in 18:30 (5:58 pace), should
      run 1,600 meters in 5:58, 1,200 meters in 4:17 to 4:21 (5:43 to 5:48 pace), 1,000 meters in 3:34 to 3:37 (5:43 to 5:48 pace), 800
      meters in 2:52 to 2:54 (5:43 to 5:48 pace), and 400 meters in 84 seconds (5:38 pace), with 3:00 to 3:30 jog recovery. Since this
      workout gets easier with each repetition, don't get carried away by running too fast, especially with the 400 meters at the end.
      Want more specific workouts and training concepts to become a better runner? Get my highly-anticipated new book, 101 Developmental
      Concepts & Workouts for Cross Country Runners. The book contains 30 insightful training concepts and 71 workouts to give you the
      competitive advantage. Order your copy today at CoachesChoice.com, or get a special, author-signed copy at
      http://www.runcoachjason.com/merchandise.
      ** Better Training
      Whether you want to run around the block or qualify for the Boston Marathon, how you train can have a dramatic effect on your
      performance. While running just to run may make you fitter, training gives you the plan for success. It's the difference between
      building a house by placing bricks here and there and having a blueprint laid out beforehand. As Yogi Berra once said, "You've got
      to be very careful if you don't where you're going, because you might not get there."
      For beginners, the most important part of running is to make it consistent. The focus should be on getting out the door every day
      to run. Once you have developed a running habit and have a solid base, it's time to add some quality to your running to increase
      your fitness. Start by adding one quality workout per week. Do that for a while and then you're ready to train using a planned
      training program. Rather than follow a generic plan, however, look for one that is skewed to your strengths. If your strength is
      endurance, focus more on mileage and tempo runs and less on interval training. Run longer intervals, trying to get faster with
      training, such as 1,000-meter repeats at 5K race pace, increasing speed to 2-mile race pace or decreasing the recovery as your
      training progresses. If your strength is speed, focus less on mileage and more on interval training. Run shorter intervals, trying
      to hold the pace for longer with training, such as 800-meter repeats at 2-mile race pace, increasing the distance to 1,000 meters or
      increasing the number of repeats as your training progresses. Work your strong points and train using the whole continuum of paces,
      from slow running speeds to very fast speeds to enhance both your aerobic and anaerobic abilities.
      ** Carbohydrates and Immune Function
      The many proponents of diets like Atkins and South Beach would have the public believe that carbohydrates are some kind of poison.
      Don't listen to them. Not only do you need carbs for energy to train, they can also bolster your immune system. While moderate
      amounts of exercise enhance your immune system, hard, prolonged training can actually depress your immune system, leaving you
      susceptible to colds and other upper respiratory tract infections. Research has shown that eating a high-carbohydrate diet as well
      as ingesting carbs during exercise limits the degree of exercise-induced immune depression by attenuating the rise in stress
      hormones following exercise.
      To view past newsletters go to: http://www.runcoachjason.com/newsletter
      Copyright Jason Karp All Rights Reserved - http://www.runcoachjason.com

      15. Digest Briefs:
      This Week in Running:
      10 Years Ago- Naoko Takahashi (JPN) took the gold medal at the Olympic Games marathon with her
      2:23:14. Lidia Simon (ROM) got the silver medal at 2:23:22 and Joyce Chepchumba
      got the bronze medal at 2:24:45. The next day, Haile Gebreselasie (ETH) won the
      gold medal in the men's 10000m with a 27:18.20, just 0.09 seconds ahead of long-time
      rival Paul Tergat (KEN) who took the silver medal. Assefa Mezgebu (ETH) took the
      bronze at 27:19.75 for an east African medal sweep. Gabriela Szabo (ROM) won the
      gold in the women's 5000m with a 14:40.79. Sonia O'Sullivan (IRL) took the silver
      at 14:41.02 while Getenesh Wami (ETH) got the bronze at 14:42.23.
      20 Years Ago- Stephen Moneghetti (AUS) won the Berlin (GER) Marathon with a 2:08:16 PR. Gidamis
      Shahanga (TAN) was 16 seconds back at 2:08:32 while Jörg Peter (GER) was 3rd at
      2:09:23. Uta Pippig (GER defeated Renata Kokowska (POL) by 13 seconds to win the
      women's race, 2:28:37 to 2:28:50. Carla Beurskens (NED) was 3rd at 2:30:00.
      30 Years Ago- Frank Richardson (USA) won the Chicago (IL/USA) Marathon over Chuck Smead (USA),
      2:14:04 to 2:16:47. Joseph Sheeran (USA) was 3rd at 2:19:12. Sue Petersen (USA)
      collected another of her 43 career marathon victories with a 2:45:03. Susan
      Henderson (USA) was 2nd at 2:49:43.
      40 Years Ago- John Farrington (AUS) won the Australian marathon title with a 2:15:37. Terry
      Manners (NZL) was 2nd at 2:19:26. ARRS member Trevor Vincent (AUS) was 4th at
      2:26:13.
      50 Years Ago- Dobrivoje Stojanovic (SER) won the Balkan Games (GRE) Marathon in 2:29:11.2.
      The silver medal went to Franjo Skrinjar (CRO) at 2:29:38.6.
      60 Years Ago- Etienne Gailly (BEL) won the Rome (ITA) Marathon in 2:36:01.
      70 Years Ago- Rudolf Wöber (AUT) won the Austrian marathon title at 2:47:25. Ernst Weber (GER)
      was 2nd at 2:54:58 and Willi Trapp (GER) was 3rd at 2:55:57.
      80 Years Ago- Oskar Heks (CZE) won the Czechoslovak marathon title with a 2:53:02. Josef Bena (CZE)
      was 3rd at 3:05:52.
      From The Analytical Distance Runner, the newsletter for the Association of Road Racing Statisticians with a focus on races, 3000m
      and longer, including road, track, and cross-country events.

      *Please verify event dates with the event websites available from our FrontPage (www.runnersweb.com)

      October 2, 2010:
      Coastwise Mile & 5K - La Jolla, CA

      (Inaugural) Disney Wine & Dine Half-Marathon - Orlando, FL

      Hamptons Marathon & Half - East Hampton, NY

      Race for Fetal Hope - Seattle, WA

      SeaWorld Shamu & You Family Walk for Rady Children's Hospital - San Diego, CA

      TC 5K, TC 10K & Medtronic TC Family Events - Minneapolis, MN

      October 3, 2010:
      Classique Emilie-Mondor, Mascouche, PQ

      October 3-14, 2010:
      Commonwealth Games - New Delhi, India

      June 25, 2011
      Emilie's Run
      www.EmiliesRun.com

      mailto:runnersweb@yahoogroups.com and in our Runner's Web Forum,
      available off our FrontPage. If you post to the mailing list and
      mailto:webmaster@... to notify us of the problem. To update
      your Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the
      website at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RunnersWeb/join , sign in and
      update your changes.

      Ken

      Ken Parker
      www.RunnersWeb.com
      mailto:kparker@...
      613-746-4053
      http://www.OACRacingTeam.com
      http://www.EmiliesRun.com

      RUNNER'S WEB AFFILIATE PROGRAMS:
      If you experience any delays in receiving your copy of the Digest,
      please advise us at:
      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for viruses.
      Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor (me) prior to being
      released to the group. If you have any questions regarding
      the options available for receiving this digest,
      mailto:Webmaster@...
      *NOTE*
      **[ Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two lines. If
      you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you paste
      the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or
      another appropriate suffix ].
      Note: An increasing number of media sites require free registration.
      If you wish to sign up for free access to sources for our
      articles without using your main email address we suggest the use of a
      mail alias program such as http://www.emailias.com.

      *** END OF RUNNER'S AND TRIATHLETE'S WEB DIGEST...***