Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest - September 3, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2010
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is a weekly e-zine dealing
      with the sports of running and triathlon and general fitness and
      health issues. The opinions expressed in the articles referenced by
      the Digest are the opinions of the writers and not necessarily
      those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at
      http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily.
      Check out our daily news, features, polls, trivia, bulletin
      boards and more. General questions should be posted to one of our
      forums available from our FrontPage.

      SUPPORT OUR ADVERTISERS: All of the revenue from our advertisers and
      affiliates goes to support clubs, athletes and clinics related
      to multisport and Canadian Olympians.

      1. Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women -
      Canada's Fastest Women's 5K
      Emilie's Run is over for another year. Emily Tallen of Kingston won
      the race in 16:36.2 after finishing second twice and third once
      in the past three years.
      Race reports, photos and a video are available at the race website.
      The 2011 race will be run on June 18th.
      For more on the race visit the website at:
      http://www.emiliesrun.com.

      3. Toronto Waterfront Marathon, September 26, 2010
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/STWM_Transporter.html

      4. Goodlife Fitness Toronto Marathon - October 17, 2010
      http://www.torontomarathon.com/

      5. Training Peaks
      The Runner's Web has partnered with Training Peaks to provide online
      coaching from experts such as Hal Higdon, Joel Friel and Matt
      Fitzgerald. Sign up at:
      https://home.trainingpeaks.com/create-account-personal-edition.aspx?af=RunnersWeb

      6. iRun Magazine
      More than a million Canadians are runners, making it this country's most popular recreational and fitness activity. Canadians run
      for exercise and we run to raise money for important causes. We run alone and in groups. And every year, hundreds of thousands of us
      participate in organized races, from fun runs to marathons, which are growing steadily.
      Until now, Canadian runners haven't had our own running magazine. But now, there's iRun, providing a uniquely Canadian perspective
      on the activity and the sport. Published six times a year, iRun educates, informs and inspires Canadian runners.
      The Team
      Mark Sutcliffe, Publisher and Editor
      Mark has more than 20 years of experience in the Canadian media business. An avid runner, he has completed five marathons and 10
      half-marathons. He writes a popular weekly column on running in the Ottawa Citizen and co-hosts The Running Show every week on The
      Team 1200 radio. Mark is the former Executive Editor of the Ottawa Citizen and has also launched several publications, including the
      Ottawa Business Journal, now in its second decade, and the Kitchissippi Times, a successful community newspaper in Ottawa. His
      writing has appeared across the country in daily newspapers, and magazines like Macleans and Canadian Business.
      Ray Zahab, Contributing Editor
      Ray Zahab is Canada's most renowned ultramarathon runner. A former pack-a-day smoker, Ray transformed his life by becoming a
      successful long-distance runner, winning some of the world's most challenging foot races. Beginning in November 2006, Ray and two
      other runners ran across the Sahara Desert in 111 days, averaging 70 kilometres per day without a single day's rest. Ray is an
      accomplished public speaker, writes regularly about running and coaches athletes striving to achieve their own goals.
      Distribution
      iRun is Canada's highest-circulation and most popular running magazine. With a total distribution of 50,000 and more than 9,000
      subscribers, iRun is leading the market in the rapidly growing and highly desirable demographic of Canadian runners.
      http://www.irun.ca/

      9. TreadmillReviews.net
      "An ultimate running resource that writes reviews on treadmills for
      almost every make and model out there. High quality reviews that
      really go above and beyond to make your treadmill hunting easy."
      http://www.treadmillreviews.net/

      ASSOCIATIONS:
      The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional
      Organization for the Running Industry.
      http://www.runningusa.org/

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS: Check the "New Subscribers' note at the bottom of the
      newsletter

      Add the Runner's Web News feed to your site through a simple
      JavaScript. Check out OnTri.com's implementation at:
      http://www.ontri.com/runnersweb.html
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is now available

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet
      Explorer from the link on our FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com .

      TWITTER
      Follow us on Twitter at:
      http://twitter.com/runnersweb

      FACEBOOK
      I've created a Runner's Web Group on Facebook. To join the Runner's Web Facebook group, if you are not a member of Facebook, you

      If anyone is looking for a web mail provider, you might wish to consider Google's GMail. You can now sign up for free Gmail at
      Google WITHOUT AN INVITATION at: www.gmail.com

      The Runner's Web has partnered with Training Peaks to provide online coaching from experts such as Hal Higdon, Joel Friel and Matt
      Fitzgerald. Sign up at:
      https://home.trainingpeaks.com/create-account-personal-edition.aspx?af=RunnersWeb

      Event directors, add your event to our Event Calendar at:
      http://runnersweb.mhsoftware.com/

      Watch live and webcast of Track and Field and Road races on Universal Sports
      Sign up at:
      http://www.universalsports.com//SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23000&KEY=&SPID=13055&SPSID=105551

      We have 2654 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe at:

      ROAD RUNNER SPORTS
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/Mobile_RRS.html

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey. Sheila is one of Ottawa's top
      multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public Health and works in the field of
      nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the University of California, San Diego. Her column index is available at:

      * Peak Running Performance Peak Running Is The Nation's Most Advanced
      Running Newsletter. Rated as the #1 Running Publication by Road Runner Sports (Worlds Largest Running Store) , Peak Running caters
      to the serious / dedicated runner. Delivering world class running advice are some of running's most recognizable athletes including
      Dr. Joe Vigil (US Olympic Coach), Scott Tinley (2 Time Ironman Champ) Steve Scott (3 Time Olympian) and many more. This bi-monthly
      newsletter has been around for over 13 years, and in the past two it has been awarded the "Golden Shoe Award" in recognition of it's
      outstanding achievements.

      * Running Research News: RRN's free, weekly, training update provides subscribers with the most-current, practical, scientifically
      based information about training, sports nutrition, injury prevention, and injury rehabilitation. The purpose of this weekly e-zine
      is to improve subscribers' training quality and to help them train in an injury-free manner. Running Research News also publishes a
      complete, 12-page, electronic newsletter 10 times a year (one-year subscriptions are $35); to learn more about Running Research
      News, please see the Online Article Index and "About Running Research News" sections below or go to RRNews.com. Check out the
      article index at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RRN_index.html

      community. We have NO personal postings this week.

      THIS WEEK'S DIGEST ARTICLE INDEX:

      1. Props to Proprioception
      Improve your running by improving your balance,
      2. Supplement Produces a 'Striking' Endurance Boost
      3. House Calls: Anatomy of an Injury, Part 2
      Chemical injuries can sneak up on even the most seasoned triathlete.
      4. Perfect Practice: Train to Race
      5. 11 Hydration Strategies for Hot Weather
      6. Marathon Running Is Unlikely to Cause Long-Term Heart Damage, German Study Shows
      7. Is it really harder for women to lose weight?
      8. Ask The Experts: Why Am I Slower Outdoors Than On A Treadmill?
      9. The Ever Shifting Paradigm of Training
      10. VO2max - The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com
      11. Childhood Obesity May Be Underreported
      12. Phys Ed: Does Stretching Before Running Prevent Injuries?
      13. Cardiac Adaptation in Elite Female Athletes
      14. Vitamin D influences cancer, autoimmune disease genes

      How long a warm-up do you do before a race?
      No warm-up
      Depends on the race distance
      5 minutes
      10 minutes
      15 minutes
      20 minutes
      30 minutes
      > 30 minutes

      PREVIOUS POLL RESULTS:
      Which of the following services do you use on a regular basis?

      Answers Percent Votes
      1 A.R.T. Therapist 16% 23
      2 Chiropractor 12% 18
      3 Massage 20% 29
      4 Physio 16% 23
      5 Podiatrist 11% 16
      6 Sports doctor 14% 21
      7 Sports psychologist 12% 18
      8 Other (email:polls2010@...) 0% 0
      Total Votes: 148
      You can access the poll from our FrontPage (http://www.runnersweb.com) as well as checking the results of previous polls.

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE MONTH: Lava Magazine.
      Why LAVA?
      This new magazine was named after the chain of volcanic islands in the Pacific Ocean where the first Ironman race took place. Since
      that inaugural race more than three decades ago, people from all over the world have descended upon Hawaii's Kailua-Kona every year
      to watch the ultimate athletic feat unfold.
      LAVA magazine invites you to join our journey into the fiery center of triathlon. On our pages, hot new gear, training and nutrition
      advice, inspiring stories, and the latest news in the sport await.
      Get Serious. Get LAVA ... Serious Triathlon.
      Read more: LAVA Magazine - LAVA Magazine http://lavamagazine.com/#ixzz0xv6PiQ5b
      Don't have LAVA? Subscribe today!

      BOOK/VIDEO/MOVIE OF THE MONTH: How Do You Become A Faster Runner
      e-Book by Running Research News
      "How Do You Become A Faster Runner" is a book designed to help you with your running, and training, while bringing a greater
      intensity to your running. Do you want to be a better runner? How Do You Become A Faster Runner gives you a simple system to follow,
      step by step, to design and improve your running. You will learn more about making your body stronger for running: – and then
      utilize your increased self-knowledge to take you on your journey of discovery to uncover the gap between where you are now and
      where you want to be. How Do You Become A Faster Runner provides very practical information and strategies for racing, along with
      running specific exercises. It contains a series of roadmaps which are both transitional and strategic. The e-Book contains all of
      the running and strengthening workouts you need to create a bases of getting faster.
      eBook: $37.00 Downloadable/Printable PDF version Note: You must download within 30 days of purchase.
      © 2010
      Buy the book at:
      http://www.runningresearchnews.com/catalog/Faster_Runner

      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html and

      1. Props to Proprioception:
      Improve your running by improving your balance
      Of all the ways for runners to get better and faster, nothing beats remaining injury-free. One way to accomplish that goal is to
      regularly do a few simple exercises to improve your proprioception.
      Propriowhat? Simply put, proprioceptors are the sensors in your muscles that help to govern your balance. All of your muscles and
      tendons have these sensors. When you’re injured, the proprioceptors become damaged and don’t function properly. This can lead to
      becoming more easily injured, such as when you are running on uneven terrain. In those circumstances, when you’re about to roll your
      ankle, it’s your proprioceptors that inform your tendons and muscles to fire to stop that process. After an initial ankle sprain it
      becomes even easier for the second sprain to happen because the sensors are informing the muscles and tendons to fire to protect
      them from further injury. Running in the winter adds the extra challenge of not just uneven footing but also slippery conditions,
      increasing the importance of these sensors.
      How good are your proprioceptive senses functioning? Try this: Stand up, balance on one foot and close your eyes. If you must
      immediately put your foot down or hands out to prevent falling, then your proprioceptors are not functioning properly.
      Balance training to improve proprioception is usually a part of the treatment plan when you sprain an ankle, but it really should be
      a part of every runner’s program.
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=15488

      2. Supplement Produces a 'Striking' Endurance Boost:
      Research from the University of Exeter has revealed taking a dietary supplement to boost nitric oxide in the body can significantly
      boost stamina during high-intensity exercise.
      The study has important implications for athletes, as results suggest that taking the supplement can allow people to exercise up to
      20% longer and could produce a 1-2% improvement in race times.
      This comes on the back of previous research from Exeter which showed that the high nitrate content of beetroot juice, which also
      boosts nitric oxide in the body, has a similar effect on performance.
      However, the latest study gets the nitric oxide into the body through a different biological process -- and now the researchers are
      hoping to find out whether combining the two methods could bring an even greater improvement in athletic performance.
      Professor Andrew Jones, from the University's School of Sport and Health Sciences, said: "The research found that when the dietary
      supplement was used there was a striking increase in performance by altering the use of oxygen during exercise.
      More...from Science Daily at:
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/08/100826104137.htm

      3. House Calls: Anatomy of an Injury, Part 2:
      Chemical injuries can sneak up on even the most seasoned triathlete.
      In Part 1 of Anatomy of an Injury I outlined the three categories of injuries that affect triathletes. In addition to the obvious
      physical problems, an injury can take the form of a chemical imbalance, the subject of this second part, as well as mental forms,
      which I will discuss in Part 3.
      If you’re perusing this website, you probably spend a significant amount of time training and racing, and juggling work, family, and
      social life with triathlon. Going for a long ride is as regular as going to bed at night—if only you could only sleep as well as you
      used to. Maybe now it’s getting harder to get through the day, your training failing to energize you like it used to. Maybe you’re
      more irritable than ever. The few pounds you’ve gained, the first in some time, seem to come from an increasing appetite, including
      frequent cravings for sweets. Maybe you’re on your fourth cold this year.
      “Luckily I’m not injured,” you tell your training partners. Well, my friend, you could very well be injured … chemically. Chemical
      injuries typically don’t produce pain like physical ones do (although some chemical imbalances associated with chronic inflammation
      can be painful). The most common characteristic of a chemical injury instead is fatigue—all too common among triathletes. In
      addition to fatigue, the chemically injured athlete has irritability, increased weight gain, excessive hunger, frequent colds, and
      insomnia to deal with.
      More...from Lava Magazine at:
      http://lavamagazine.com/training/house-calls-anatomy-of-an-injury,-part-2#axzz0y19IIowD

      4. Perfect Practice: Train to Race:
      Vince Lomabardi once said, "Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect." When applied to triathlon
      training, you might ask yourself, “Am I preparing myself to race my best? Am I doing workouts in practice that train my mind and
      body for race conditions?” The following, by category, are race simulation workouts you might consider using to get race ready.
      Swim
      So you have a goal time in mind for your swim split, right? Have you practiced that pace? Try the following workout to not only test
      the reality of your goal but also to remind your body what it will feel like.
      ~Warm-up thoroughly
      ~Determine race pace: If you want to do a 1000meter swim in 15 minutes, your pace/100m will be 90 seconds. The following will be
      done at the 90” pace. We call this “T-pace” for Time Trial or Threshold. The goal of the workout is to maintain an even pace even as
      the distances increase. If possible, try to make the last 4 x 100’s faster than the first set…as if you are coming “home” stronger
      than you went out.
      ~4 x 100 at T-pace (10” rest), 2 x 200 (15”), 1 x 400 (20”), 2 x 200 (15”), 4 x 100 (10”)
      ~Cool down adequately
      More...from TriFuel at:
      http://www.trifuel.com/training/triathlon-training/perfect-practice-train-to-race

      5. 11 Hydration Strategies for Hot Weather:
      In warm weather, how can you find the energy to get outside and exercise? By using the proper hydration strategies, you can have
      enjoy energy to perform you best even if the weather is at its worst.
      Water is an important nutrient that composes approximately 50-60 percent of our body weight. For years, we've been told to drink
      eight glasses of water a day for optimal health. But that one-size-fits-all prescription no longer fits a training athlete. Fluid
      intake is an important part of training and athletic performance. The benefits of adequate fluid and electrolyte intake during
      exercise include lower heart rate, improved blood flow to working muscles and skin, body temperature control, support for muscular
      contraction, preventing hyponatremia (low blood sodium levels), quick recovery, improved performance and lower perceived exertion.
      Health experts have found that fluid requirements vary from person to person, and for many of us, the best way to stay adequately
      hydrated is to stick to a schedule. Most recreation athletes require approximately 11 to 15 cups of water daily, according to the
      Institute of Medicine. Several factors influence the need for water, including climate, muscle mass, physical activity, and diet.
      The goal of athletes is to consume enough water during sessions to maintain 100 percent fluids lost through perspiration. Sports
      science research conducted with many differing sports contested that in hot weather when an athlete loses even as little as 2
      percent of fluids, performance may decline by as much as 10 percent.
      More...from Active.com at:
      http://tinyurl.com/38ode3l

      6. Marathon Running Is Unlikely to Cause Long-Term Heart Damage, German Study Shows:
      A study of 167 amateur runners at the 2006 and 2007 Berlin marathons is lowering concerns that this type of activity leads to
      sustained heart damage, particularly among older competitors, according to a presentation at the European Society of Cardiology's
      Congress 2010 in Stockholm.
      Marathons are becoming an increasingly popular challenge for amateur runners wanting to test their endurance over the classic
      26-mile distance. The medical community, however, has long been concerned about how marathons impact the heart -- and it has not yet
      been shown if the effects vary among different age groups or genders.
      In an effort to increase understanding of this subject, the Charité-Universitätsmedizin Berlin conducted a study into the effects of
      marathon running on older amateur runners. The study took place around both the 2006 and 2007 Berlin marathons. In total, 167 older
      runners with an average age of 50 were monitored. All of whom had previously completed at least one full marathon. They underwent
      echocardiography tests using the latest equipment, and gave blood samples immediately prior to and after the race. They were
      monitored again after two weeks. Specifically, measurements were taken of the left ventricular diastolic and systolic functions, the
      right ventricular systolic function and cardiac biomarkers.
      More...from Science Daily at:
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/08/100831073507.htm

      7. Is it really harder for women to lose weight?
      QUESTION: Is it true that it’s harder for women than men to lose weight because of the different composition of their muscle mass?
      ANSWER: It’s generally true that losing weight can be more of a challenge for women than men because of their different muscle
      composition.
      It has a lot to do with muscle mass. Men naturally have more muscle mass and larger muscle fibres than women, resulting in a higher
      metabolic rate.
      In fact, researchers from Syracuse University looked at the energy expenditure of men and women while running and walking a distance
      of 1,600 metres at the same speed. They found that men burned an average of 124 calories when running and 88 calories when walking,
      whereas women burned an average of 105 calories when running and 74 calories when walking. What exactly does this mean? It means men
      can burn calories faster than women, giving them the ability to lose weight quicker.
      But don’t worry. There’s a lot women can do to achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
      Combining cardiovascular exercise, resistance training and a healthy diet is the best way to lose a few extra pounds. Women often
      shy away from weight training for fear they may bulk up. But because their body type is not predisposed to forming large muscles,
      there’s no need for concern.
      More...from the Globe and Mail at:
      http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health/is-it-really-harder-for-women-to-lose-weight/article1690579/

      8. Ask The Experts: Why Am I Slower Outdoors Than On A Treadmill?
      Q.
      Dear Experts,
      Last year I weighed in at 274 lbs, was on beta blockers, and had numerous issues with my knees and shoulders. Since September of
      last year, I have been training regularly, and have made some great strides, including finishing the Rock ‘n’ Roll Chicago ½
      Marathon in 2 hours, 45 minutes and 45 seconds. In addition, I now weigh 193 lbs, and I no longer need to take the beta blockers.
      Anyway, a majority of my running is on a treadmill. I am not, and I do not ever expect to be, a fast runner. But I think that I can
      keep a respectable pace on the treadmill. I am able to do my workouts (all but my long runs) with an average pace of 5.7 [mph] on
      the treadmill, and I hit sustained speeds of 6.2 [mph] for 5 minutes. What I am having a hard time doing is transitioning to running
      outside. My outside running times are significantly slower, and as a result, I seem to tire out much more quickly. I can run for an
      hour and a half straight on the treadmill (and longer), but there are times when I run outside that I can’t run for 40 minutes
      straight.
      So how is it that I can make that transition? And how should I pace myself? Should I find a pace on the treadmill, and get used to
      that pace, and then attempt to do that outside? I will be running the Rock ‘n’ Roll ½ Marathon in Vegas in December, and I really
      want to be able to break the 2 hour and 30 minute time.
      Greg
      A.
      Dear Greg,
      First of all, congratulations on your weight loss and health improvements. That’s fantastic.
      Now, to your question. The relationship between treadmill and outdoor running is an interesting one. Although the action is
      fundamentally the same in both environments, on the level of details there are some key differences between outdoor and treadmill
      running. Most notably, in outdoor running, forward motion is achieved through the application of force from the foot to the ground.
      On the treadmill, of course, there is no forward motion. Instead, a runner keeps from moving backward with the belt by applying
      force to the belt with the foot so as to continually reposition the foot underneath his nonmoving center of gravity. Other
      differences between treadmill and outdoor running include the absence of wind resistance indoors and a softer, more pliant landing
      surface in the case of the treadmill.
      Whether treadmill or outdoor running is “easier” than the other is a matter that has been much debated. In my opinion, the evidence
      shows rather plainly that while treadmill running is in fact easier, outdoor running is faster. Research has shown that heart rate
      is slightly lower at any given pace on a treadmill than it is outdoors. However, in one study by researchers at the University of
      Stockholm, runners were allowed to set their own pace in an indoor treadmill run and an outdoor trail run. They ran significantly
      faster at the same perceived effort level outdoors.
      These findings only seem contradictory if you overestimate the importance of heart rate, as many runners do. Bear in mind that the
      winner of any given race is usually the runner who has the highest average heart rate throughout it. This is simply an indication
      that he is the runner who is able to work the hardest over the full race distance. Thus, while treadmill running may be more
      efficient than outdoor running, such that heart rate is slightly lower on the treadmill at any given pace, something about the
      treadmill limits how hard a runner is able to work relative to outdoors.
      More...from Competitor Magazine at:
      http://running.competitor.com/2010/08/training/ask-the-experts-why-am-i-slower-outdoors-than-on-a-treadmill_12708#ixzz0yDBOQ6r8

      9. The Ever Shifting Paradigm of Training:
      Human beings are creatures of habit, and it is often hard to adapt or change them. The training process is not immune to habitual
      fluid, adaptable, and creative process or progress will stagnate. This is one reason why “one size fits all” plans often are not
      effective for the individual athlete.
      The key point is that an energy system or fitness substrate reaches a plateau after it has had been trained for an extended period
      of time. For instance, performing low aerobic base training all season long, season after season, will offer little chance for
      speed to increase. This type of training does have a very important place in the developmental process, especially for an athlete
      new to endurance sports, but only advances aerobic energy systems and pathways. By completely ignoring higher intensity training,
      opportunity is lost.
      This is where periodization comes in-- hitting the athlete with the right type of training at the right time for their individual
      needs. A carefully constructed annual training plan that delineates the targeted fitness substrates can be the difference between a
      breakthrough season and another lackluster one.
      More...from the Sport factory at:
      http://thesportfactory.com/site/trainingnews/The_Ever_Shifting_Paradigm_of_Training.shtml

      10. VO2max - The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com:
      ** Menstrual Cycle
      Many of you know that I'm currently writing a book on running for women. Many girls and women who train hard and train a lot who
      have a low body fat percentage often experience irregular or even absent menstrual cycles, which reduces estrogen levels. In
      response to heavy training, the first change in menstrual cycle activity is a shortening of the luteal phase, followed by cycles
      without ovulation and, finally, cessation of menses called amenorrhea. Amenorrhea (defined as 0 to 3 periods per year) results in
      constant low levels of estrogen and progesterone. A female runner with amenorrhea has about one third the estrogen concentration
      and about 10 to 20 percent the progesterone concentration of a normal menstruating woman. Thus, endocrinologically, the amenorrheic
      female runner experiences an estrogen-deficient state similar to that of a post-menopausal woman.
      The incidence of menstrual irregularity or amenorrhea is variable-some female runners can train with high volumes and never disrupt
      or lose their menstrual cycle activity, while some women notice changes in cycle activity with relatively little training. High
      training volumes, low body weight, and endurance sports like distance running increase the incidence of menstrual irregularities.
      Research has shown that inadequate caloric intake to match caloric expenditure, rather than the stress of exercise, is responsible
      for the loss of menstrual activity and that consuming more calories to compensate for the large caloric expenditure from exercise
      can prevent amenorrhea. Therefore, if you run a lot, you need to increase how many calories you consume throughout the day to keep
      up with the large number of calories you expend by running. If you coach female runners, encourage them to eat more.
      One of the biggest ramifications of menstrual irregularity or amenorrhea is its effect on your bones. Any disruption to the
      menstrual cycle can cause a decrease in your bone mineral density, increasing the risk for osteoporosis and stress fractures.
      Estrogen is extremely important in facilitating the absorption of calcium into your bones. Research has shown that female distance
      runners with irregular or absent menstruation have significantly lower bone density than those with regular menstruation and even
      compared to non-athletes. Furthermore, a number of studies have found a significant loss in bone density, particularly at the lumbar
      spine, in amenorrheic athletes. A female runner with irregular menstrual cycles runs the risk of decreasing bone mineral density to
      such an extent that stress fractures occur with only minimal impact to the bones. Along with the other two characteristics of the
      female athlete triad-osteoporosis and disordered eating-menstrual irregularities greatly increase a female runner's risk for stress
      fractures. Therefore, if you or the athletes you coach have menstrual irregularities, you must take extra care in planning your
      training program so you do not increase your running volume or intensity too quickly, and you may need to increase your dietary
      intake of calcium and vitamin D to protect your bones.
      Want to know what else you can do to manipulate your menstrual cycle and improve your running? Schedule a consultation with me and
      have all of your questions answered: http://www.runcoachjason.com/consulting.
      ** Surges
      Most people run the same pace (or try to run the same pace) throughout a race, typically finishing at a slower pace than when they
      started. Sometimes, a change of pace, even when it's a change to a faster pace, can make you feel more comfortable and give you a
      boost of confidence. A mid-race surge is also a great way to separate yourself from other runners who have a stronger finishing
      kick than you.
      Practice running surges on your next run. Pick up the pace for 20 to 30 seconds, with the surge starting abruptly and ending
      gradually. If you run on a team or with a group of people, surging can also be practiced with a group. Break your group or team
      into small groups of runners of similar abilities. Each group runs together for 4 to 5 miles, with one runner being designated as
      the pacesetter whose job it is to surge at different points in the run. When the pacesetter surges, the other runners practice
      reacting to the surge and picking up the pace to match the pacesetter. You can also have each runner in the group surge whenever he
      or she wants to, with the other runners reacting to the surge and covering the move instead of having just one pacesetter.
      Want more training concepts and specific workouts to become a better runner? Get my highly-anticipated new book, 101 Developmental
      Concepts & Workouts for Cross Country Runners. The book contains 30 insightful training concepts and 71 workouts to give you the
      competitive advantage. Order your copy today at CoachesChoice.com, or get a special, author-signed copy at
      http://www.runcoachjason.com/merchandise.
      To view past newsletters go to: http://www.runcoachjason.com/newsletter
      Copyright Jason Karp All Rights Reserved - http://www.runcoachjason.com

      11. Childhood Obesity May Be Underreported:
      National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month kicks off with sobering news
      INDIANAPOLIS — As the U.S. launches its first-ever National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month today, scientists say the problem may
      be even more widespread than was thought. Researchers have found that parents tend to underreport their children’s weight. Estimates
      of obesity and body mass index (BMI) based on parent-supplied data may miss one in five obese children.
      This sobering news underscores the need for National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month. Congress established the observance in a
      resolution passed unanimously earlier this year, seeking to “raise public awareness and mobilize the country to address childhood
      obesity.” A wide array of organizations have joined together as the National Council on Childhood Obesity Awareness Month, educating
      parents, policy makers and others about the problem and encouraging preventive action on childhood obesity. The new website
      www.HealthierKidsBrighterFutures.org includes a toolkit with fact sheets, sample letters to the editor, scripts for public service
      announcements and other resources.
      Such advocacy is needed more than ever, in light of a study conducted by Daniel O’Connor, Ph.D., and Joseph Gugenheim, M.D. and
      presented in June at the 57th Annual Meeting of the American College of Sports Medicine. Researchers compared the measured height
      and weight of 1,430 children at an orthopedic clinic with the values their parents reported. “Parents tend to overestimate boys’
      height and underestimate girls’ height,” said O’Connor, “and this error was larger when the reporting parent was the opposite sex of
      the child. Almost half of the parents underestimated their child’s weight, and errors in reporting weight tended to be larger for
      girls and increase with age.” Ethnicity played a role, with African-American and Hispanic parents making larger errors than
      Caucasian, non-Hispanic parents, and weight errors were larger in children who were overweight or obese.
      According to O’Connor, “The most striking finding was that using the parent-reported values to compute BMI and obesity status,
      following [Centers for Disease Control] guidelines, resulted in about one in five obese children – 21 percent – being missed in the
      count and not identified as obese.”
      Even without adjusting for underreporting, conventional estimates of childhood obesity are startling. During the past four decades,
      obesity rates have soared among all age groups, increasing more than fourfold among children ages six to 11. More than 23 million
      children and teenagers (31.8 percent) ages two to 19 are overweight or obese, a statistic which health and medical experts say
      constitute an epidemic.
      The scope of the problem and its impact on health care costs and individual quality of life propelled Congress to take unanimous
      action. Congresswoman Marcia L. Fudge (D-OH) co-sponsored the House legislation with Congresswoman Kay Granger (R-TX). Rep. Fudge
      said, “Nothing can be more important than protecting the health and well-being of our children for years to come. I look forward to
      parents, health care providers, educators, civic leaders and organizations joining the effort to end childhood obesity.” Rep.
      Granger said, “Childhood Obesity Awareness Month supports the goals of families, schools, and communities who are working to ensure
      we raise a healthier generation. If we keep our kids healthy now it will alleviate a major burden on our health care system while
      giving millions of young people the opportunity to live longer, healthier lives.”

      The National Council on Childhood Obesity Awareness Month encourages individuals and organizations to do whatever they can to build
      understanding of the causes and implications of childhood obesity and to earnestly seek solutions to stem the epidemic. While the
      focus now is on September as National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month, the effort must be sustained and widespread, according to
      organizers.

      12. Phys Ed: Does Stretching Before Running Prevent Injuries?
      Should you stretch before a run? That question, which has prompted countless academic studies, debates and inter-running-partner
      squabbles, is now at the heart of a notable new study published in August on the Web site of USA Track and Field, the sport’s
      national governing body. The study, one of the largest of its kind, involved almost 1,400 runners, from age 13 to past 60, who were
      assigned randomly to two groups. The first group did not stretch before their runs, while otherwise maintaining their normal workout
      routine: the same mileage, warm-up (minus any stretching) and so on. The second group stretched, having received photographs and
      specific instructions for a series of simple, traditional poses, like leaning over and touching toes, that focused on the calf,
      hamstring and quadriceps muscles. The volunteers were told to hold each stretch for 20 seconds, a technique known as static
      stretching. The entire routine required three to five minutes and was to be completed immediately before a run.
      The volunteers followed their assigned regimens for three months. Predictably, since running, as a sport, has a high injury rate,
      quite a few became injured during the three months. About 16 percent of the group that didn’t stretch were hobbled badly enough to
      miss training for at least a week (the researchers’ definition of a running injury), while about 16 percent of the group that did
      stretch were laid up for at least a week. The percentages, in other words, were virtually identical. Static stretching had proved to
      be a wash in terms of protecting against injury. It “neither prevented nor induced injury when compared with not stretching before
      running,” the study’s authors concluded, raising the obvious corollary, so why in the world do so many of us still stretch?
      Stretching is, of course, a contentious issue in sports. The bulk of the available science strongly suggests that static stretching
      before a workout not only does not prevent overuse injuries but also may actually hinder athletic performance. “There is a very
      important neurological effect of stretching,” said Ross Tucker, Ph.D., a physiologist in South Africa and co-author of the Web site
      The Science of Sport. “There is a reflex that prevents the muscle from being stretching too much,” which is activated by static
      stretching, inducing the muscle to become, in effect, tighter in self-protection. Past studies have found that athletes’ vertical
      jump is lower after a bout of static stretching than with no stretching at all. They can’t generate as much power. Meanwhile, other
      studies have found, like the new U.S.A.T.F. report, that static stretching seems to have little benefit in terms of injury
      prevention, particularly against the overuse injuries common in running. “The findings of this present study are totally in line
      with the existing literature,” said Malachy McHugh, Ph.D., the director of research at the Nicholas Institute of Sports Medicine and
      Athletic Trauma and the lead author of a comprehensive new review of decades’ worth of stretching research published in April in the
      Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/01/phys-ed-does-stretching-before-running-prevent-injuries/

      13. Cardiac Adaptation in Elite Female Athletes:
      A study conducted in the UK has established the extent of cardiac adaptation amongst female athletes competing in a number of
      sports. Previous studies of cardiac adaptation have been conducted only on male athletes, yet a growing number of females
      participate at elite level in many sports, nowadays including some such as rugby and boxing that were traditionally undertaken only
      by males.
      The results, presented at the European Society of Cardiology's Congress 2010 in Stockholm, show evidence of changes to the heart,
      particularly to ventricle wall thickness and cavity size. In addition, the study considered whether ethnicity was a factor in the
      degree of measured cardiac adaptation.
      More...from Science Daily at:
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/08/100831082239.htm

      14. Vitamin D influences cancer, autoimmune disease genes:
      Scientists have found that vitamin D influences more than 200 genes, including ones related to cancer and autoimmune diseases like
      multiple sclerosis — a discovery that shows how serious vitamin D deficiency can be.
      Worldwide, an estimated one billion people are deficient in vitamin D, and a team of scientists from Britain and Canada said health
      authorities should consider recommending supplements for those at most risk.
      "Our study shows quite dramatically the wide-ranging influence that vitamin D exerts over our health," said Andreas Heger of the
      Functional Genomics Unit at Britain's Oxford University, who led the study.
      Vitamin D effects our DNA through something called the vitamin D receptor (VDR), which binds to specific locations of the human
      genome. Heger's team mapped out these points and identified more than 200 genes that it directly influences.
      More...from the National Post at:
      http://www.nationalpost.com/life/health/3436657/story.html

      15. Digest Briefs:
      ** This Week in Running:
      10 Years Ago- Kenyans dominated the Crim (MI/USA) 10M, sweeping the top 13 men's places and the top two
      women's places. Mark Yatich was first for the men at 47:36 with Titus Munji (47:37) and
      John Gwako (47:38) following closely. Catherine Ndereba bested Helen Kimaiyo, 53:01 to
      53:18 with Marleen Renders (BEL) taking 3rd at 53:25.
      20 Years Ago- Yvonne Murray (SCO) won the 3000m gold medal at the European Championships (CRO) in
      8:43.06. Elena Romanove (RUS) got the silver medal in 8:43.68 and Roberta Brunet (ITA)
      got the bronze medal in 8:46.19. Two days later, Elena Romanove (RUS) took the gold medal
      in the 10000m, clocking a 31:46.83. Kathrin Wessel (GER) claimed the silver medal at
      31:47.70 while Annette Sergent (FRA) got the bronze medal at 31:51.68.
      30 Years Ago- Kiprotich Rono (KEN) barely edged Alberto Cova over 5000m at Rieti ITA, both given the
      same time of 13:52.3. Otello Sorato (ITA) was 3rd in 13:57.8 while Francesco Fava (ITA)
      was 4th in 14:00.2.
      40 Years Ago- Jerome Drayton (CAN) won the Canadian 10000m title with a 29:37.0 and came back the next
      day to claim the 5000m title with a 14:14.0.
      50 Years Ago- Tom Kelly (AUS) won the Victoria Marathon Club (AUS) Marathon with a 2:40:30.
      60 Years Ago- Emil Zatopek (CZE) won the European 5000m title, besting silver medalist Alain Mimoun (FRA)
      by 23 seconds, 14:03.0 to 14:25.0. Gaston Reiff (BEL) was 3rd at 14:26.2.
      From The Analytical Distance Runner, the newsletter for the Association of Road Racing Statisticians with a focus on races, 3000m
      and longer, including road, track, and cross-country events.

      *Please verify event dates with the event websites available from our FrontPage (www.runnersweb.com)

      September 3-5, 2010
      GE Edinburgh ITU Duathlon World Championships - Scotland

      September 4, 2010:
      Canadian Iron Distance - Ottawa, ON

      Canadian Marathon Half, 8K, 3K - Ottawa, ON

      Disneyland® Family Fun Run 5K - Anaheim, CA

      Labour Day 30K - Milford, MI

      September 5, 2010:
      (5th) Disneyland Half Marathon, Anaheim, CA

      (10th) Dodge Rock 'n' Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon - VA

      Kaua'i Marathon - Kaua'i, HI

      September 6, 2010:
      American Discovery Trail Marathon - Colorado Springs, CO

      Stratton Faxon New Haven Road Race - New Haven, CT
      USA 20K Championships

      June 25, 2011
      Emilie's Run
      www.EmiliesRun.com

      mailto:runnersweb@yahoogroups.com and in our Runner's Web Forum,
      available off our FrontPage. If you post to the mailing list and
      mailto:webmaster@... to notify us of the problem. To update
      your Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the
      website at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RunnersWeb/join , sign in and
      update your changes.

      Ken

      Ken Parker
      www.RunnersWeb.com
      mailto:kparker@...
      613-746-4053
      http://www.OACRacingTeam.com
      http://www.EmiliesRun.com

      RUNNER'S WEB AFFILIATE PROGRAMS:
      If you experience any delays in receiving your copy of the Digest,
      please advise us at:
      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for viruses.
      Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor (me) prior to being
      released to the group. If you have any questions regarding
      the options available for receiving this digest,
      mailto:Webmaster@...
      *NOTE*
      **[ Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two lines. If
      you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you paste
      the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or
      another appropriate suffix ].
      Note: An increasing number of media sites require free registration.
      If you wish to sign up for free access to sources for our
      articles without using your main email address we suggest the use of a
      mail alias program such as http://www.emailias.com.

      *** END OF RUNNER'S AND TRIATHLETE'S WEB DIGEST...***