Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest - August 6, 2010

  • RunnersWeb.com Inc.
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2010
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is a weekly e-zine dealing
      with the sports of running and triathlon and general fitness and
      health issues. The opinions expressed in the articles referenced by
      the Digest are the opinions of the writers and not necessarily
      those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at
      http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily.
      Check out our daily news, features, polls, trivia, bulletin
      boards and more. General questions should be posted to one of our
      forums available from our FrontPage.

      SUPPORT OUR ADVERTISERS: All of the revenue from our advertisers and
      affiliates goes to support clubs, athletes and clinics related
      to multisport and Canadian Olympians.

      1. Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women -
      Canada's Fastest Women's 5K
      Emilie's Run is over for another year. Emily Tallen of Kingston won
      the race in 16:36.2 after finishing second twice and third once
      in the past three years.
      Race reports, photos and a video are available at the race website.
      The 2011 race will be run on June 18th.
      For more on the race visit the website at:
      http://www.emiliesrun.com.

      3. Toronto Waterfront Marathon, September 26, 2010
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/STWM_Transporter.html

      4. Goodlife Fitness Toronto Marathon - October 17, 2010
      Register before the end of this month for the Marathon, Half Marathon,
      or 5k and save $$. Fees increase March 1st!
      http://www.torontomarathon.com/

      5. Training Peaks
      The Runner's Web has partnered with Training Peaks to provide online
      coaching from experts such as Hal Higdon, Joel Friel and Matt
      Fitzgerald. Sign up at:
      https://home.trainingpeaks.com/create-account-personal-edition.aspx?af=RunnersWeb

      6. iRun Magazine
      More than a million Canadians are runners, making it this country's
      most popular recreational and fitness activity. Canadians run
      for exercise and we run to raise money for important causes. We run
      alone and in groups. And every year, hundreds of thousands of us
      participate in organized races, from fun runs to marathons, which are
      growing steadily.
      Until now, Canadian runners haven't had our own running magazine. But
      now, there's iRun, providing a uniquely Canadian perspective
      on the activity and the sport. Published six times a year, iRun
      educates, informs and inspires Canadian runners.
      The Team
      Mark Sutcliffe, Publisher and Editor
      Mark has more than 20 years of experience in the Canadian media
      business. An avid runner, he has completed five marathons and 10
      half-marathons. He writes a popular weekly column on running in the
      Ottawa Citizen and co-hosts The Running Show every week on The
      Team 1200 radio. Mark is the former Executive Editor of the Ottawa
      Citizen and has also launched several publications, including the
      Ottawa Business Journal, now in its second decade, and the
      Kitchissippi Times, a successful community newspaper in Ottawa. His
      writing has appeared across the country in daily newspapers, and
      magazines like Macleans and Canadian Business.
      Ray Zahab, Contributing Editor
      Ray Zahab is Canada's most renowned ultramarathon runner. A former
      pack-a-day smoker, Ray transformed his life by becoming a
      successful long-distance runner, winning some of the world's most
      challenging foot races. Beginning in November 2006, Ray and two
      other runners ran across the Sahara Desert in 111 days, averaging 70
      kilometres per day without a single day's rest. Ray is an
      accomplished public speaker, writes regularly about running and
      coaches athletes striving to achieve their own goals.
      Distribution
      iRun is Canada's highest-circulation and most popular running
      magazine. With a total distribution of 50,000 and more than 9,000
      subscribers, iRun is leading the market in the rapidly growing and
      highly desirable demographic of Canadian runners.
      http://www.irun.ca/

      9. TreadmillReviews.net
      "An ultimate running resource that writes reviews on treadmills for
      almost every make and model out there. High quality reviews that
      really go above and beyond to make your treadmill hunting easy."
      http://www.treadmillreviews.net/

      ASSOCIATIONS:
      The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional
      Organization for the Running Industry.
      http://www.runningusa.org/

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS: Check the "New Subscribers' note at the bottom of the
      newsletter

      Add the Runner's Web News feed to your site through a simple
      JavaScript. Check out OnTri.com's implementation at:
      http://www.ontri.com/runnersweb.html
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is now available

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet
      Explorer from the link on our FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com .

      TWITTER
      Follow us on Twitter at:
      http://twitter.com/runnersweb

      FACEBOOK
      I've created a Runner's Web Group on Facebook. To join the Runner's
      Web Facebook group, if you are not a member of Facebook, you
      must first create a free Facebook account at www.facebook.com. Once
      you have your own space, search "Runner's Web" under "Groups".
      At the Runner's Web site, click "Join this group". Once I have
      approved your request to join, you'll be able to visit the site, post
      race photos, discuss training tips, and share information about
      running, racing and training.

      If anyone is looking for a web mail provider, you might wish to
      consider Google's GMail. You can now sign up for free Gmail at
      Google WITHOUT AN INVITATION at: www.gmail.com

      You can also list your events for free in our Interactive Calendars
      and on our Marathons, Races and Triathlons pages.

      NEW THIS WEEK:

      The Runner's Web has partnered with Training Peaks to provide online
      coaching from experts such as Hal Higdon, Joel Friel and Matt
      Fitzgerald. Sign up at:
      https://home.trainingpeaks.com/create-account-personal-edition.aspx?af=RunnersWeb

      Event directors, add your event to our Event Calendar at:
      http://runnersweb.mhsoftware.com/

      Watch live and webcast of Track and Field and Road races on Universal Sports
      Sign up at:
      http://www.universalsports.com//SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23000&KEY=&SPID=13055&SPSID=105551

      If you feel you have something to say (related to triathlon or
      running) that is worthy of a Guest Column on the Runner's Web, email

      We have 2653 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's
      Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe at:

      ROAD RUNNER SPORTS
      We have partnered with Road Runner Sports, the world's largest online
      running store, to provide a shopping portal. Check it out at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/Mobile_RRS.html

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey. Sheila is one of Ottawa's top
      multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C
      Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public Health and works in the field of
      nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the
      University of California, San Diego. Her column index is available at:

      * Peak Performance Online Peak Performance is a subscription-only
      newsletter for athletes, featuring the latest research from the
      sports science world. We cover the whole range of sports, from running
      and rowing to cycling and swimming, and each issue is packed
      full of exclusive information for anyone who's serious about sport.
      It's published 16 times a year, including four special reports,
      by Electric Word plc. Peak Performance is not available in the shops -
      only our subscribers are able to access the valuable

      * Peak Running Performance Peak Running Is The Nation's Most Advanced
      Running Newsletter. Rated as the #1 Running Publication by
      Road Runner Sports (Worlds Largest Running Store) , Peak Running
      caters to the serious / dedicated runner. Delivering world class
      running advice are some of running's most recognizable athletes
      including Dr. Joe Vigil (US Olympic Coach), Scott Tinley (2 Time
      Ironman Champ) Steve Scott (3 Time Olympian) and many more. This
      bi-monthly newsletter has been around for over 13 years, and in the
      past two it has been awarded the "Golden Shoe Award" in recognition of
      it's outstanding achievements.

      * Running Research News: RRN's free, weekly, training update provides
      subscribers with the most-current, practical, scientifically
      based information about training, sports nutrition, injury prevention,
      and injury rehabilitation. The purpose of this weekly e-zine
      is to improve subscribers' training quality and to help them train in
      an injury-free manner. Running Research News also publishes a
      complete, 12-page, electronic newsletter 10 times a year (one-year
      subscriptions are $35); to learn more about Running Research
      News, please see the Online Article Index and "About Running Research
      News" sections below or go to RRNews.com. Check out the
      article index at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RRN_index.html

      THIS WEEK'S PERSONAL POSTINGS/RELEASES: We will only post notes here
      regarding running and triathlon topics of interest to the
      community. We have NO personal postings this week.

      THIS WEEK'S DIGEST ARTICLE INDEX:

      1. Circuit Training: gently conditioning your muscles to avoid sports injury
      2. How to Choose the Right Energy Foods
      3. VO2Max - The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com
      4. An Analysis of Running Technique
      Lauren Fleshman as guinea pig.
      5. Why Running Form Matters
      And how you can improve your form.
      6. Warm up Stretching Tips Audio
      7. Adjust your thermostat, adjust your expectations
      8. Be Sure Exercise Is All You Get at the Gym
      9. Six Nutrition Tips to Avoid Stomach Pain
      10. Hip pain for runners
      11. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine
      12. Snooze So You Don’t Loose: The Importance of Sleep to the Endurance Athlete
      13. Four Ways to Stay Positive Through Injuries
      14. Video: Circuit Routine Rationale

      "Do you support the setting aside of race entries for charity
      organizations at the expense of serious runners?"

      PREVIOUS POLL RESULTS:
      These marathons were rated the top 10 in the world by Runner's World.
      Which of them belong in your top ten?
      Answers Percent Votes
      1 Amsterdam 8% 10
      2 Berlin 11% 13
      3 Boston 14% 16
      4 Chicago 10% 12
      5 Honolulu 8% 10
      6 London 12% 14
      7 New York City 12% 14
      8 Paris 8% 10
      9 Rotterdam 8% 10
      10 Stockholm 8% 9
      Total Votes: 118

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage (
      http://www.runnersweb.com) as well as checking the results of previous
      polls.

      PHOTO SLIDESHOW:
      Our Photo Slideshow is updated on a random basis. Check it out from
      our FrontPage.

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE MONTH: Emma Moffatt, Professional Triathlete.
      About me, Emma Moffatt:
      With both parents competing in triathlons throughout her life and
      strong athletic tendencies in other family members, Emma Moffatt’s
      progression to becoming a professional triathlete was a natural one.
      She competed in her first triathlon at 13 and in 2007 was named
      Triathlon Australia's Athlete of the Year.
      Currently residing in Brisbane, Australia, Emma is often referred to
      as “Moffy” or “Em”.
      Still heavily influenced by her family, Emma takes her title as
      ‘auntie’ very seriously and cites the day she took on the role as one
      of the proudest moments in her life - closely tied with winning the
      Bronze medal at the 2008 Olympic Games.
      Career Highlights:
      World Champion, 2009, ITU Triathlon World Championship
      Bronze medallist, 2008 Olympic Games (Beijing)
      2007 Triathlon Australia, Athlete of the Year
      Five ITU Triathlon World Cup medals
      Key stats:
      Date of Birth: 7 September 1984
      Place of Birth: Moree, Australia
      Height: 5’7” (1.71m)
      Weight: 126 lbs (57kg)
      Nationality: Australia
      Visit her website at:
      http://www.emmamoffatt.com/

      BOOK/VIDEO/MOVIE OF THE MONTH: 101 Developmental Concepts & Workouts
      for Cross Country Runners
      by Jason R. Karp, Ph.D.
      Cross country running is a demanding sport, and how you train can mean
      the difference between leading the race or bringing up the rear. Now
      you can be prepared! 101 Developmental Concepts & Workouts for Cross
      Country Runners gives you the best workouts and explains the most
      important training concepts. Get insider information about:
      How to train systematically and efficiently
      Aerobic and anaerobic training
      Lactate threshold workouts
      VO2max intervals
      Hills & fartleks
      Cross country games
      Race strategy and tactics
      Developing strength, power, and flexibility
      Your Price: $19.95 (autographed by the author)
      Published in 2010 by Coaches Choice
      Paperback, 126 pages
      ISBN: 978-1-60679-116-5
      Buy the book at:
      http://www.runcoachjason.com/merchandise

      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html and

      1. Circuit Training: gently conditioning your muscles to avoid sports injury:
      Whatever your sport you shouldn't neglect a proper conditioning
      routine if you want to achieve muscular balance and avoid injury.
      The best prepared sportsmen and women tend to have a comprehensive
      routine, often involving muscles that are not directly connected with
      their particular activity.
      One of the most common sites of injury, regardless of the sport, is
      the lower back region. There is a whole host of causes for lower back
      pain; for example, in runners weak or inflexible hamstrings can often
      be the culprit. Poor posture is another common cause, so conditioning
      of the muscles that help to maintain solid posture should form part of
      the schedule of anyone who exercises regularly, whatever their
      discipline or sporting standard.
      A variety of muscle groups contribute to good posture and all require
      attention. Naturally the lower back muscles can do with strengthening.
      Work on the abdominal muscles is also important because it will
      complement work you do on the back region; it is dangerous to develop
      muscular imbalances by working on just one side of the body. The
      contribution of the gluteal and hamstring muscles should not be
      overlooked when considering sound posture and preventing injury to the
      back region.
      More...from Peak Performance Online at:
      http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/circuit-training-gently-conditioning-your-muscles-to-avoid-sports-injury-421

      2. How to Choose the Right Energy Foods:
      In 2002, Karen Main, a health promotion manager in Portland, Ore.,
      prepared to tackle her first marathon. She packed an ill-fitting fuel
      belt with Skittles and small packets of dried cranberries and nuts
      that she had purposefully saved from packaged salad mixes. Looking
      back, she acknowledges that she didn't fuel herself adequately. "I
      didn't eat enough, and I figured it out too late," says Main, who
      laughs while describing how she struggled to open the food packets
      during the race. Seven years later, Main ran her second marathon to
      celebrate turning 40. The second time around she got it right, opting
      for runner-friendly energy chews dispensed from a handy tube. "I never
      got hungry," she says, "and the blocks were easy to carry and eat."
      The myriad sport-specific fueling options available to runners make it
      much easier to refuel while on the move. You're not alone; however, if
      the seemingly unlimited explosion of new performance-enhancing sports
      drinks and energy foods has left you confused about what to choose and
      when best to consume it. Use the following guidelines to select the
      optimal energy food for your next race.
      SPORTS DRINKS
      Sports drinks are designed to maximize fluid absorption and enhance
      performance by delivering readily absorbable carbohydrate and
      electrolytes, the most crucial being sodium. The better-formulated
      (and tasting) ones intended for use during exercise usually contain
      both simple carbs (sucrose, fructose and glucose) and complex carbs
      (glucose polymers, maltodextrin). Choose a sports drink instead of
      plain water when running 60 minutes or longer at a moderate intensity.
      More...from Active.com at:
      http://tinyurl.com/36q38kg

      3. VO2Max - The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com:
      ** Carbo Loading
      Are you training for a marathon this fall? Are people telling you to
      carbo load? If you're a woman, it's not as simple as eating more
      carbohydrates. Research has shown that men are more responsive to
      carbohydrate loading than women. Women do not increase muscle
      glycogen as much as men in response to consuming more carbohydrates in
      their diets. However, there does not seem to be an inherent sex
      difference in the ability to store glycogen. The key is in the
      calories. Women consume less total calories than men, so they consume
      less total carbohydrates. When women increase their total caloric
      intake as they also increase the amount of carbohydrates in their
      diets, they increase their muscle glycogen content by a similar amount
      as men. Thus, while the common suggestion of carbo loading works for
      men, as they simply need to increase the percentage of their calories
      coming from carbohydrates in order to store more glycogen, women need
      to also increase the total number of calories in their diets to get
      the same effect.
      ** Easy Runs
      The single biggest mistake competitive runners make is running too
      fast on their easy days. By doing so, they add unnecessary stress to
      their legs without any extra benefit and they won't be able to run as
      much quality on their harder days. Speed-type runners (runners who
      fare better at shorter races) will have a greater difference between
      their race pace and easy running pace compared to endurance-type
      runners (runners who fare better at longer races). Since many of the
      cellular adaptations associated with aerobic training are
      volume-dependent, not intensity-dependent, the speed of easy runs is
      not as important as their duration. Slowing down the easy runs has at
      least three benefits: (1) it decreases the chance of injury, (2) it
      allows you to get more out of your harder days because there will be
      less residual fatigue, and (3) it allows you to increase your overall
      weekly mileage. Remember that it is the volume of aerobic running,
      not the speed, that represents the major stimulus for adaptation. If
      you have a heart rate monitor, aerobic runs should be run at 70 to 75
      percent of maximum heart rate.
      Want more training concepts and specific workouts to become a better
      runner? Get my highly-anticipated new book, 101 Developmental Concepts
      & Workouts for Cross Country Runners. The book contains 30 insightful
      training concepts and 71 workouts to give you the competitive
      advantage. Order your copy today at CoachesChoice.com, or get a
      special, author-signed copy at
      http://www.runcoachjason.com/publications.
      ** Running Technique
      Most recreational runners, who begin running as adults, don't spend
      any time learning the skill of running before embarking on a marathon
      training program. Running mile after mile with bad technique can lead
      to injuries. If you want to be a better runner, you need to start by
      running better. Check out my recent interview on running technique
      for Competitor.com's RunCenter show:
      http://video.competitor.com/2010/07/running/runcenter-technique-matters/
      To view past newsletters go to: http://www.runcoachjason.com/newsletter
      Copyright Jason Karp All Rights Reserved - http://www.runcoachjason.com

      4. An Analysis of Running Technique:
      Lauren Fleshman as guinea pig.
      Running technique determines running efficiency, as well as what top
      speeds you can reach. Understanding your technique can also help you
      predict areas where you are prone to injury and where you can improve
      through specific strengthening.
      In this article, I will look at Lauren Fleshman's stride at 5,000m
      pace and the main actions that occur. Included will be what makes the
      actions effective and, in some cases, in need of improvement. Keep in
      mind that the main actions that occur in the 5,000m are the same as
      the actions that occur in other running events. The only differences
      are in the amount of force generated and range of motion in the joint
      actions at each distance.
      Focus will be on the three major force-producing actions: push-off,
      knee drive and pawback. You can track Lauren's stride on the above
      sequence through these phases. The push-off is the primary action
      needed to supply the force to drive you forward. The force comes from
      a powerful contraction of the calf muscle that is responsible for
      ankle joint extension, the main action involved in the push-off. The
      knee drive, which is coordinated with the push-off, supplies
      additional forward momentum. In the knee drive, the thigh is driven
      forward from a position behind the body to in front of the body. The
      height of the thigh at the end of the drive phase is determined by the
      force generated by the hip flexor muscles. The leg is then
      straightened and brought backward and downward in a "pawback" action
      to make contact with the ground.
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=20271

      5. Why Running Form Matters:
      And how you can improve your form.
      When Bill Rodgers was the best marathoner in the world in the late
      1970s, a biomechanist named Peter Cavanagh tested him in his lab at
      Penn State. As part of the test, Cavanagh had Rodgers "fix" his
      trademark across-the-body right arm swing. The result? Running with
      more textbook form, Rodgers' running economy, or oxygen cost at the
      same pace, was higher. That is, changing Rodgers' form to something
      thought to be better made it harder for him to run a given pace.
      In the more than three decades since that lab experiment, a take-home
      message from it has been endlessly repeated: Don't mess with your
      running form. Over time, your body will find its best way of running.
      The more you run, the more your body will find its natural form. Just
      run, baby.
      Why, then, do almost all top coaches have their runners spend time
      working on their form? Why do most elites, already blessed with
      enviable technique, think that working on their form will make them
      faster, either directly or by allowing them to train more by avoiding
      injury? And why should you?
      For starters, let's go back to the Rodgers experiment. No reputable
      source claims that, at any one instant, significantly altering your
      form from what your body is used to will make you faster. Coaching
      legend and longtime lab rat Jack Daniels has tested thousands of
      runners over the last 40 years. "I have tested runners' economy of
      running with their hands in their pockets, on their hips, folded on
      top of their heads, etc., and it always costs more than when using a
      normal arm swing," he says.
      But that doesn't mean the logical conclusion is that the form your
      body naturally gravitates toward is what will make you fastest. "We
      all run as children and assume that we are doing it correctly," says
      coach and two-time Olympic marathoner Pete Pfitzinger. "That is
      usually not a bad assumption, but there is a difference between doing
      something reasonably well and maximizing performance." Pfitzinger says
      that many runners can improve their running economy--their oxygen cost
      at a given pace--by 2-4 percent through improved form. "If you have
      been training hard for several years it can be an easier way to
      improve than doing more repeat miles."
      Nor does it mean that your "natural" form is in your best long-term
      interest. "When we go out and run we have a pattern of form that
      follows our skeleton and is dictated by our muscles and range of
      motion," says veteran coach Roy Benson, who has worked with high
      schoolers, Olympians, beginners and everyone in between. "Over the
      course of lots of running, it's like an electrical current--your body
      follows the path of least resistance."
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=20261

      6. Warm up Stretching Tips Audio:
      Listen to the Warm up Stretching Tips Audio. Includes myths and
      misconceptions about how to use stretching in the warm up, plus the
      latest stretching research.
      With so much conflicting research about the role stretching plays in
      the warm up, it's no surprise that we often hear questions like: What
      role does stretching play in the warm up? What type of stretching
      works best? Should I stretch at all before exercise?
      In this free audio presentation titled, Warm up Stretching Tips,
      you'll learn the important role stretching plays in the warm up, plus
      how to incorporate the right types of stretching into your warm up for
      peak performance and injury prevention.
      If you're looking to improve your sporting performance, or just
      minimize injuries, it is important to follow the information in this
      audio. In addition, making stretching a part of your fitness regime
      will have a significant impact. To get started on a safe and effective
      stretching routine learn more about The Stretching Handbook and how it
      can improve your fitness.
      Listen to the Warm up Stretching Tips Audio
      To start listening to the Warm up Stretching Tips Audio click on the link below.
      http://tinyurl.com/27audyb

      7. Adjust your thermostat, adjust your expectations:
      Wow. If you are on the east coast like we are, we don’t have to tell
      anyone that its been H.O.T.
      “But wait……..don’t the weather gods know I supposed to be training for
      the ___ championship in __weeks ….not to mention the ___ race I’m
      doing this winter. My workout today was slow, and I felt bad on my
      long workout this weekend. I’m getting slower and this heat is killing
      my training!!!!!”
      If you guys want some tips on running in the heat, there are some
      great words of wisdom on this blog if you scroll down. Let’s re-cap: –
      hydrate, run in the morning, hydrate, loose fitting and light colored
      clothing, and hydrate. OK fine – but lets get real on this summer’s
      weather and why we need to take it into consideration.
      Last year in C’ville, we had 7 days above 90 degrees and they were
      scattered about the summer. Except for a small 2 week heat wave in the
      middle of the summer, it wasn’t all that hot all the time. You had the
      luxury of moving workouts a day or 2 ahead or behind in the week based
      on the heat. This summer, we’ve had 45 days above 90 degrees. We’ve
      had 7 above 100. And let’s be honest, its not really cooling off all
      that much at PM or in the AM (Friday night was 96 degrees at 9:00
      PM!). Its been so hot that all outdoor high school and collegiate
      practices would be completely cancelled in weather like this. National
      and State sports governing bodies have established these regulations
      to protect the athletes. I know – you are tougher than them and need
      to get your speed work session in today though…….stay with me.
      Dealing with this heat is all about adjusting your expectations. Let’s
      re-state this point to be absolutely clear: Trying to train at your
      same intensity and volume (or increasing it) in this type of weather
      is NOT a smart thing.
      If you don’t agree with me, let’s look at it from your body’s
      perspective. When you exercise, you ask your body to metabolize fuel
      stores, regulate energy balance, and produce mechanical work so that
      you can move from point A to point B. All this effort produces heat.
      Your body has a lot of internal mechanisms to regulate body
      temperature, and they work pretty well. But your body has limits as to
      how rapidly it can cool itself off. Did you know that your body
      actually begins to compromise its ability to perform at around 72
      degrees? Now think about how much challenge a 95 degrees environment
      places on that body.
      More...from the Center for Endurance Sport at:
      http://uvaendurosport.wordpress.com/2010/07/27/adjust-your-thermostat-adjust-your-expectations/

      8. Be Sure Exercise Is All You Get at the Gym:
      When you go to the gym, do you wash your hands before and after using
      the equipment? Bring your own regularly cleaned mat for floor
      exercises? Shower with antibacterial soap and put on clean clothes
      immediately after your workout? Use only your own towels, razors, bar
      soap, water bottles?
      If you answered “no” to any of the above, you could wind up with one
      of the many skin infections that can spread like wildfire in athletic
      settings. In June, the National Athletic Trainers’ Association, known
      as N.A.T.A., issued a position paper on the causes, prevention and
      treatment of skin diseases in athletes that could just as well apply
      to anyone who works out in a communal setting, be it a school,
      commercial gym or Y.
      The authors pointed out that “skin infections in athletes are
      extremely common” and account for more than half the outbreaks of
      infectious diseases that occur among participants in competitive
      sports. And if you think skin problems are minor, consider what
      happened to Kyle Frey, a 21-year-old junior and competitive wrestler
      at Drexel University in Philadelphia.
      Mr. Frey noticed a pimple on his arm last winter but thought little of
      it. He competed in a match on a Saturday, but by the next morning the
      pimple had grown to the size of his biceps and had become very
      painful.
      His athletic trainer sent him straight to the emergency room, where
      the lesion was lanced and cultured. Two days later, he learned he had
      MRSA, the potentially deadly staphylococcus infection that is
      resistant to most antibiotics.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/03/health/03brod.html?_r=2

      9. Six Nutrition Tips to Avoid Stomach Pain:
      "I'm afraid to eat before I exercise ... I might get a side stitch."
      "I always carry toilet paper with me when I go on a long run."
      "How can I change my sports diet to so I don't need pit stops..???"
      Little is more frustrating to a competitive athlete than to be well
      trained for an event and then get sidelined with a side stitch or
      diarrhea. Yes, the sports diet that's intended to enhance your
      performance can also bring you to a screeching halt! Sound familiar?
      Transit troubles and gastrointestinal (GI) concerns are common among
      athletes, particularly those who run and jostle their intestines. An
      estimated 30 to 50 percent of distance runners experience
      exercise-related intestinal problems, with women experiencing more
      problems than do men.
      If you are among the many active people who fear side stitches, loose
      stools, and GI distress, keep reading. The goal of this article is to
      offer some information and advice that can help you manage, if not
      reduce, your transit troubles.
      Side Stitches
      A side stitch--that stabbing pain in your gut that can bring you to a
      stand-still--is familiar to about 60 percent of athletes. Because
      getting attacked by a side stitch is unpredictable (that is, one day
      you might get one but the next day you don't), they are hard to
      research. The available data suggests they commonly occur in the same
      spot: on the upper right side of the abdomen where the liver is
      attached to the diaphragm by two ligaments.
      More...from Active.com at:
      http://tinyurl.com/36wgno2

      10. Hip pain for runners:
      Injuries to the hip and pelvis make up a significant proportion of
      painful conditions in runners.
      Most of these injuries are due to overuse and some, such as femoral
      neck stress fracture, may involve significant morbidity. Tendon
      insertion injuries are becoming more prevalent and should be
      considered in the skeletally immature athlete. Stress fractures and
      soft-tissue injuries occur in all age-groups, often because of
      excessive mechanical stress without adequate recovery periods. A
      systematic approach to evaluation and treatment--combined with
      knowledge of indications for surgical referral, training principles,
      and shoe-wear patterns--allows the physician to individualize the
      athlete's rehabilitation and return to running, and to help the
      athlete prevent re-injury.
      An estimated one in five adults runs for exercise or recreation.
      Runners report average yearly injury rates from 24% to 68%, of which
      2% to 11% involve the hip or pelvis. Although a variety of
      musculoskeletal conditions produce hip pain, other organ systems can
      refer pain to the hip and pelvic region.
      A careful history is important in the successful management of any
      running injury. Injured runners should be questioned about the nature
      of their symptoms, injury onset, duration, and precipitating and
      alleviating factors, and prior injury.
      More...from arthritis-treatment-and-relief.com at:
      http://www.arthritis-treatment-and-relief.com/hip-pain-for-runners.html

      11. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine:
      ** Don't Depend on Maximum Heart Rate Formulae
      The standard maximum heart rate formula (MHR=220-age) is supposed to
      predict the fastest your heart can beat and still pump blood through
      your body. It is not accurate. This month, researchers at
      Northwestern Medicine announced that the formula for women should be
      206 minus 88 percent of a woman's age (Circulation, July 2010).
      However, this formula is also inaccurate.
      In 1970, Dr. Sam Fox, one of the most respected heart specialists in
      the world, was on a plane with a young researcher named William
      Haskell. They put together several studies
      comparing maximum heart rate and age. Dr. Fox plotted a graph of age
      verses maximum heart rate and noticed that maximum heart rate appeared
      to equal to 220 minus a person's age. Since they reported this
      formula, it has been taught in physical education courses and used to
      test heart function and athletic fitness.
      The formula is wrong because your legs drive your heart rate; your
      heart does not drive your legs. Maximum heart rate depends on the
      strength of your legs, not the strength of your
      heart. When you contract your leg muscles, they squeeze against the
      blood vessels near them to pump blood from your leg veins toward your
      heart. When your leg muscles relax, your leg veins fill with blood.
      So your leg muscles pump increased amounts of blood toward your heart.
      This increased blood fills the heart and causes your heart to be
      faster and with more force. This is called the Bainbridge reflex.
      The stronger your legs are, the more blood they can pump, which causes
      your heart to beat faster.
      In 2002, a study of 43 different formulae for MHR concluded that "no
      acceptable formula currently exists." The formula that fits better
      than others is: HRmax=205.8-(0.685 × age).
      It has a standard deviation of 6.4 beats per minute, which is very
      large (Journal of Exercise Physiology, May 2002). A study from
      Liverpool, England showed that the maximum heart rate for athletes is
      lower than for aged-matched sedentary people. The maximum heart rate
      of male athletes was calculated to be 202 - 0.55 × age, and for female
      athletes, 216 - 1.09 × age. Weight lifters and runners had similar
      maximum heart rates, which were significantly lower than the
      age-matched sedentary people. The athletes have hearts that can pump
      more blood with each beat than the hearts of sedentary people, so they
      do not beat as often (International Journal of Sports Medicine,
      January 2008).
      All MHR formulae are based on averages. They can be used to help you
      plan and monitor your exercise program, but should not be interpreted
      as absolute limits or goals. If you want to train to become fast, use
      the following: Three times a week, never on consecutive days, either
      race or push the pace so that you are at your anaerobic threshold and
      then use bursts to exceed it to become short of breath. On the other
      four days, take it easy and do not put pressure on your muscles. The
      standard Maximum Heart Rate formula (MHR = 220 - age) does not apply
      to highly fit athletes.
      ** Dear Dr. Mirkin: Am I harming my health by eating a high sugar
      and protein meal immediately after a hard workout?
      No! You are referring to recent research that shows that avoiding
      sugar and other carbohydrates after working out causes your cells to
      respond to insulin better than depriving
      yourself of calories or loading with extra sugar (Journal of Applied
      Physiology, December 2009). This study shows that restricting
      carbohydrates after a hard workout helps cells to respond better to
      insulin, which lowers both insulin and blood sugar levels, which
      should help prevent high rises in blood sugar after meals that cause
      diabetes and its many complications. Increasing insulin sensitivity
      also reduces your chances of suffering a heart attack.
      Knowledgeable athletes train by taking a hard workout that damages
      muscles, feeling sore the next day and then taking easier workouts for
      as many days as it takes for muscles to heal. They can tell their
      muscles are healed when the soreness goes away.
      Obviously, the faster they can recover from their hard workouts, the
      sooner they can take their next hard workout and the greater their
      gain in endurance, speed and strength. Athletes eat a very high sugar
      and protein meal immediately after their hard workouts to help them
      recover faster. The sugar and other carbohydrates cause a high rise
      in insulin which drives the protein building block amino acids into
      damaged muscle cells to help them heal faster so they can take their
      next hard workout sooner.
      Now for the good news. When you exercise, contracting muscles remove
      sugar from the bloodstream rapidly without needing insulin, and the
      harder you exercise, the more effective your muscles are in removing
      sugar from the bloodstream and the longer they can continue to remove
      sugar from the bloodstream (Circulation, July 2008). Intense exercise
      is far more effective in preventing and controlling diabetes than
      exercising at a leisurely pace (Journal of Applied Physiology, January
      2006). The more intensely and the longer you exercise, the greater
      the increase in insulin sensitivity and control of blood sugar rises
      (Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, April 2010).
      Furthermore,
      high intensity exercise maximally improves every conceivable measure
      of heart function and heart strength (Exercise and Sports Sciences
      Reviews, July 2009).
      The combination of an intense workout and faster recovery for your
      too high. The key is to take your sugar-protein meal when your
      muscles are most sensitive to insulin: during the last part of your
      intense workout or no longer than one hour after you finish that
      workout.
      From Dr. Gabe Mirkin at:
      http://www.drmirkin.com

      12. Snooze So You Don’t Loose: The Importance of Sleep to the Endurance Athlete:
      Being an endurance athlete requires balancing many different and often
      competing time demands. For most nonprofessional athletes piecing
      together a daily schedule that includes work, family and community
      responsibilities, and workouts is a tough juggling act. The daily
      schedule item that often gets shortchanged is sleep. This is ironic
      and unfortunate in that sleep may be one of the most important things
      the endurance athlete can do on a daily basis.
      Sleep is an amazing though not entirely understood physiologic
      process. We do know that some processes that occur during sleep are
      essential for normal physical and psychological functions. There are
      definite consequences for the athlete who does not get enough sleep on
      a regular basis.
      Of most interest to the endurance athlete is how sleep deprivation
      might affect performance. Although there is a fair amount of research
      data available on this subject it is by no means clear that sleep
      deprivation has a measurable detrimental effect on key parameters of
      physiological functions, which are directly related to athlete
      performance during a workout such as heart rate, gas exchange,
      sympathetic nervous system functioning, ventilatory rate,
      neuromuscular coordination or fuel (substrate) utilization. Many
      studies do show that an increased RPE (Rating of Perceived Exertion or
      how intense a given workout is perceived to be by the athlete) is
      reported by sleep-deprived athletes who are exercising at a given
      intensity. This is significant because an increased RPE may translate
      into a decrease in the athlete’s willingness or motivation to push
      beyond or maintain a given intensity during a workout. If you are not
      willing to push up to the required intensity or finish the prescribed
      workout, you will miss out on the intended benefit of the workout.
      This can have a predictably negative effect on short and long term
      fitness goals.
      More...from TriFuel at:
      http://www.trifuel.com/training/health-nutrition/snooze-so-you-don’t-loose-the-importance-of-sleep-to-the-endurance-athlete

      13. Four Ways to Stay Positive Through Injuries:
      In May, Allison Lind was training for the New York City Marathon,
      where she hoped to run a sub-2:46 to qualify for the Olympic Trials.
      She finished a 16-miler feeling especially tight. The next day, she
      had an intense, stabbing pain in her inner right thigh. An MRI led to
      a devastating diagnosis: a pelvic stress fracture. "I've been running
      since I was 10, so being told not to run for six months killed me,"
      says the 27-year-old New York City physical therapist.
      Being sidelined—whether it's for days, weeks, or months—can turn any
      runner's world upside down. But as hard as it is to realize when
      you're relegated to the elliptical machine, being down can have an
      upside. "My injury helped me become a better athlete," Lind says. "It
      forced me to cross-train. I've added swimming and cycling to my
      training, and now I'm in much better shape." Yet for Lind, the best
      silver lining was rediscovering her love of the sport. "I tell all of
      my injured patients, 'Just wait. You're going to appreciate running so
      much more,'" she says.
      More...from Active.com at:
      http://tinyurl.com/27vkkyp

      14. Video: Circuit Routine Rationale:
      A running circuit workout combines short bursts of running (300-700m)
      with other exercises. These challenging drills prepare you for the
      rigors of other running-related workouts like threshold and long runs.
      Coach Jay Johnson explains why and how you might want to consider
      adding circuits to your workout routine. (6:31)
      Watch the video at Running Times at:
      http://wpblogs.runningtimes.com/blogs/performancepodcasts/?p=175

      15. Digest Briefs:
      ** This Week in Running:
      10 Years Ago- Hiroyuki Ikegawa (JPN) won the Dublin International
      Games (IRL) 5000m over Adian Passey (ENG),
      13:50.71 to 13:41.25. Tsuyoshi Nakano (JPN) was 3rd at
      13:52.52. On the women's side, the
      Japanese fared even better with Hiromi Ominami and
      Yasuko Hashimoto going 1-2 with 15:27.58
      and 16:03.61. Anne Buckley placed 3rd for IRL with a 16:06.74.
      20 Years Ago- Steve Kogo (KEN) won the Bix (IA/USA) 7M, his 32:47
      besting Jon Sinclair (USA) at 32:54
      and Steven Spence (USA) at 32:58. Maria Trujillo (USA)
      won the women's race in 37:58 with
      Patricia Murray (USA) and Ria VanLandeghem (BEL)
      following at 38:15 and 38:18 respectively.
      30 Years Ago- Waldemar Cierpinski (GER) won the Olympic Marathon
      (RUS) in 2:11:03. The silver medal went
      to Gerard Nijboer (NED) while the bronze went to
      Satymkul Dzhumanazarov (KGZ).
      40 Years Ago- Victor Nelson (USA) won the Evergreen Marathon in
      Pullman WA/USA with a 2:23:38. Jim Backus
      and Philip Camp were next with 2:25:52 and 2:26:36.
      Tom Hoffman and Tom Fleming were 4th
      and 5th with 2:29:46 and 2:30:21.
      50 Years Ago- Gordon Pirie (ENG) won 5000m in London ENG with a
      13:51.6. Frank Salvat (ENG) was 2nd at
      13:54.8 and Michel Bernard (FRA) was 3rd at 13:58.2.
      60 Years Ago- Keizo Yamada (JPN) won the All-Japan Worker's Athletic
      Games (JPN) Marathon in 2:46:14. Yamada
      is still running marathons.
      From The Analytical Distance Runner, the newsletter for the
      Association of Road Racing Statisticians
      with a focus on races, 3000m and longer, including road, track, and
      cross-country events.

      *Please verify event dates with the event websites available from our
      FrontPage (www.runnersweb.com)

      August 7, 2010:
      TD Banknorth Beach to Beacon 10K - Cape Elizabeth, ME

      August 8, 2010:
      Great Raisin River Foot race - Willimastown, ON

      June 25, 2011
      Emilie's Run
      www.EmiliesRun.com

      mailto:runnersweb@yahoogroups.com and in our Runner's Web Forum,
      available off our FrontPage. If you post to the mailing list and
      mailto:webmaster@... to notify us of the problem. To update
      your Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the
      website at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RunnersWeb/join , sign in and
      update your changes.

      Ken

      Ken Parker
      www.RunnersWeb.com
      mailto:kparker@...
      613-746-4053
      http://www.OACRacingTeam.com
      http://www.EmiliesRun.com

      RUNNER'S WEB AFFILIATE PROGRAMS:
      If you experience any delays in receiving your copy of the Digest,
      please advise us at:
      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for viruses.
      Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor (me) prior to being
      released to the group. If you have any questions regarding
      the options available for receiving this digest,
      mailto:Webmaster@...
      *NOTE*
      **[ Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two lines. If
      you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you paste
      the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or
      another appropriate suffix ].
      Note: An increasing number of media sites require free registration.
      If you wish to sign up for free access to sources for our
      articles without using your main email address we suggest the use of a
      mail alias program such as http://www.emailias.com.

      *** END OF RUNNER'S AND TRIATHLETE'S WEB DIGEST...***