Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest - June 4, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2010
      those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at
      http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out our daily news, features, polls, trivia, bulletin
      boards and more. General questions should be posted to one of our forums available from our FrontPage.

      1. Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women - Canada's Fastest Women's 5K
      Emilie's Run is over for another year. Tara Quinn-Smith set a new course record of 16:15.7 beating the 16:29 set by Nicole Stevenson
      in 1996. 364 women completed the race with 33 women running under 20:00
      The 2010 race will be run on June 19th.
      For more on the race visit the website at:
      http://www.emiliesrun.com.

      3. Toronto Waterfront Marathon, September 27, 2009
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/STWM_Transporter.html

      4. Goodlife Fitness Toronto Marathon - October 17, 2010
      Register before the end of this month for the Marathon, Half Marathon, or 5k and save $$. Fees increase March 1st!
      http://www.torontomarathon.com/

      5. Training Peaks
      The Runner's Web has partnered with Training Peaks to provide online coaching from experts such as Hal Higdon, Joel Friel and Matt
      Fitzgerald. Sign up at:
      https://home.trainingpeaks.com/create-account-personal-edition.aspx?af=RunnersWeb

      6. January 4, 2008: Goodlife Fitness has come on board as a sponsor of Emilie's Run GoodLife Fitness - Coed or Women's Only Visit
      www.GoodLifeFitness.com today to receive 3 FREE Visits! Your 3 FREE visits include: . A Visual Fitness Planner Consultation . Fit
      Fix Orientation to learn how to exercise safely and effectively . Access to all cardio and strength-training equipment . Access to
      all of our world-class Group EXercise classes . A copy of Living the Good Life audio CD Get started today! Visit
      www.GoodLifeFitness.com Limited time offer.

      7. iRun Magazine
      More than a million Canadians are runners, making it this country's most popular recreational and fitness activity. Canadians run
      for exercise and we run to raise money for important causes. We run alone and in groups. And every year, hundreds of thousands of us
      participate in organized races, from fun runs to marathons, which are growing steadily.
      Until now, Canadian runners haven't had our own running magazine. But now, there's iRun, providing a uniquely Canadian perspective
      on the activity and the sport. Published six times a year, iRun educates, informs and inspires Canadian runners.
      The Team
      Mark Sutcliffe, Publisher and Editor
      Mark has more than 20 years of experience in the Canadian media business. An avid runner, he has completed five marathons and 10
      half-marathons. He writes a popular weekly column on running in the Ottawa Citizen and co-hosts The Running Show every week on The
      Team 1200 radio. Mark is the former Executive Editor of the Ottawa Citizen and has also launched several publications, including the
      Ottawa Business Journal, now in its second decade, and the Kitchissippi Times, a successful community newspaper in Ottawa. His
      writing has appeared across the country in daily newspapers, and magazines like Macleans and Canadian Business.
      Ray Zahab, Contributing Editor
      Ray Zahab is Canada's most renowned ultramarathon runner. A former pack-a-day smoker, Ray transformed his life by becoming a
      successful long-distance runner, winning some of the world's most challenging foot races. Beginning in November 2006, Ray and two
      other runners ran across the Sahara Desert in 111 days, averaging 70 kilometres per day without a single day's rest. Ray is an
      accomplished public speaker, writes regularly about running and coaches athletes striving to achieve their own goals.
      Distribution
      iRun is Canada's highest-circulation and most popular running magazine. With a total distribution of 50,000 and more than 9,000
      subscribers, iRun is leading the market in the rapidly growing and highly desirable demographic of Canadian runners.
      http://www.irun.ca/

      9. Mi-Sport - The Ultimate Sports MP3 Player Introducing the world's first and only waterproof and wireless sports mp3 player.
      These Mi-SPORT mp3 headphones have a 1GB memory built into a cool neckband design. At last no wire tangle and no earbuds to fall
      out. The patented design makes this waterproof/sweatproof mp3 player great for running, cycling and gym work. The player however is
      more than splash proof! It can be completely submerged with no harm to it making it perfect for swimming, kayaking, and water
      skiing. Now incorporating the latest 3D music quality with it's adapted waterproof speaker. Relax to music in the bath, or push out
      that training session with no fear of losing your player or tangling the wires. Circuit training is so much easier with your own
      music. Enjoy the waves wire-free. This is the only waterproof pair of classic headphones with a built in mp3 player in the world.
      The stylish looking headphones play the usual MP3, WMA and WAV formats and are compatible with Windows98/98SE/2000/XP and Apple MAC.
      Depending on track length, the headphones hold well over 14 hours worth of music and the rechargeable battery life is about 8 hours.
      Nick Matthew, the 2006 British Open squash champion now uses the player to train with and Mi-SPORT are endeavouring to encourage
      more athletes to enjoy the benefits of training to wire-free music, podcasts or coaching aids. Inspiration and freedom at last, for
      athletes and exercise enthusiasts everywhere.
      Check it out at: http://www.mi-sportmp3.com/

      TreadmillReviews.net
      "An ultimate running resource that writes reviews on treadmills for almost every make and model out there. High quality reviews that
      really go above and beyond to make your treadmill hunting easy."
      http://www.treadmillreviews.net/

      ASSOCIATIONS:
      The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional Organization for the Running Industry.
      http://www.runningusa.org/

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS: Check the "New Subscribers' note at the bottom of the newsletter

      Add the Runner's Web News feed to your site through a simple JavaScript. Check out OnTri.com's implementation at:
      http://www.ontri.com/runnersweb.html
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is now available

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet Explorer from the link on our FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com . We have added a button for Lauren Groves, Triathlete.

      TWITTER
      Follow us on Twitter at:
      http://twitter.com/runnersweb

      FACEBOOK
      I've created a Runner's Web Group on Facebook. To join the Runner's Web Facebook group, if you are not a member of Facebook, you

      If anyone is looking for a web mail provider, you might wish to consider Google's GMail. You can now sign up for free Gmail at
      Google WITHOUT AN INVITATION at: www.gmail.com

      Foot Locker:
      For 4 day's only, (from 5.20 ¿ 5.24), Runner's Web Digest subscribers will receive 30% off no minimum purchase, if they sign up to
      our VIP program!! Have them join today to receive Exclusive Deals, Products, and VIP access to Events from Foot Locker!
      30% no minimum after signing up to our VIP program
      5.20 - 5.24
      http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=pgaZgw/VDU4&offerid=192438.10000397&type=3&subid=0
      Additionally, we are pleased to offer the following Kids Foot Locker promotion for the next 4 day's as well!
      20% off no minimum
      5.20 - 5.24
      LKS1TY39
      http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=pgaZgw/VDU4&offerid=192438.10000412&type=3&subid=0

      The Runner's Web has partnered with Training Peaks to provide online coaching from experts such as Hal Higdon, Joel Friel and Matt
      Fitzgerald. Sign up at:
      https://home.trainingpeaks.com/create-account-personal-edition.aspx?af=RunnersWeb

      Event directors, add your event to our Event Calendar at:
      http://runnersweb.mhsoftware.com/

      Watch live and webcast of Track and Field and Road races on Universal Sports
      Sign up at:
      http://www.universalsports.com//SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23000&KEY=&SPID=13055&SPSID=105551

      We have 2646 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe at:

      ROAD RUNNER SPORTS
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/Mobile_RRS.html

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey. Sheila is one of Ottawa's top multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C
      Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public Health and works in the field of nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the
      University of California, San Diego. Her column index is available at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/SK_index.html

      * Peak Running Performance Peak Running Is The Nation's Most Advanced Running Newsletter. Rated as the #1 Running Publication by
      Road Runner Sports (Worlds Largest Running Store) , Peak Running caters to the serious / dedicated runner. Delivering world class
      running advice are some of running's most recognizable athletes including Dr. Joe Vigil (US Olympic Coach), Scott Tinley (2 Time
      Ironman Champ) Steve Scott (3 Time Olympian) and many more. This bi-monthly newsletter has been around for over 13 years, and in the
      past two it has been awarded the "Golden Shoe Award" in recognition of it's outstanding achievements.

      * Running Research News: RRN's free, weekly, training update provides subscribers with the most-current, practical, scientifically
      based information about training, sports nutrition, injury prevention, and injury rehabilitation. The purpose of this weekly e-zine
      is to improve subscribers' training quality and to help them train in an injury-free manner. Running Research News also publishes a
      complete, 12-page, electronic newsletter 10 times a year (one-year subscriptions are $35); to learn more about Running Research
      News, please see the Online Article Index and "About Running Research News" sections below or go to RRNews.com. Check out the
      article index at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RRN_index.html

      community. We have NO personal postings this week.

      THIS WEEK'S DIGEST ARTICLE INDEX:

      1. Foot Loose and Injury Free
      A Game Plan for Fighting Plantar Fasciitis.
      2. The pain of running a marathon
      Recent surveys conducted at marathons in Germany have found that as many as two-thirds of runners put their health at risk by taking
      painkillers before the race.
      3. Detailed metabolic profile gives 'chemical snapshot' of the effects of exercise
      4. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine
      5. Mental Attitude for Ironman
      6. How Boston's Qualifying Times Inspire Excellence
      The changing times reflect the changing sport.
      7. Sports psychology: self-confidence in sport – make your ego work for you!
      8. Toxic cities mock 'healthy' cycle riding
      9. Study: 10 minutes of exercise, hour-long effects
      10. 2. VO2max - The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com
      11. Milk: Two Glasses a Day Tones Muscles, Keeps the Fat Away in Women, Study Shows
      12. How to Run a Faster Marathon
      13. Sports psychology: the role of emotion regulation, music and the coach-athlete relationship
      14. Requiem for Running
      Once a runner, always a runner.

      Should marathons restrict entry to serious runners by imposing time standards similar to those at the Boston Marathon?

      PREVIOUS POLL RESULTS:
      Should marathons restrict entry to serious runners by imposing time standards similar to those at the Boston Marathon?
      Answers Percent Votes
      1 Yes 68% 26
      2 No 32% 12
      3 No opinion, don't care 0% 0

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage ( http://www.runnersweb.com) as well as checking the results of previous polls.

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE MONTH: Sweat Science:
      Checking out the research behind the questionable advice you get at the Visit the website at:
      http://sweatscience.com

      BOOK/VIDEO/MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Cycling Fast.
      Cycling Fast covers the latest information on new high-tech racing frames, training with a power meter and heart rate monitor,
      coordinating your tactics as part of a team, and much more. Learn how to periodize your training and use the tips, charts, and
      checklists to ensure your success at the finish line
      For more information or to buy the book from Human Kinetics visit:
      http://www.humankinetics.com/products/showproduct.cfm?associate=880&isbn=9780736081146

      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html and http://www.runnersweb.com/running/amazon.html

      THIS WEEK'S FEATURES:

      1. Foot Loose and Injury Free:
      A Game Plan for Fighting Plantar Fasciitis.
      Running is 90% mental, right? Not always. Sometimes it doesn’t matter how badly you want to run, your body just won’t let you do it.
      Elite master’s runner Stephanie Herbst-Lucke is a classic example.
      After collecting five national championships at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, she left the world of competitive running to
      work and have a family. Then, after running several standout races in her early 30s, she decided to make a comeback. She returned
      to Madison to train with a group of Nike-sponsored elites, and all factors indicated her joining the ranks of the top runners in the
      country.
      “There were great runners out there to train with, great workouts and a great coach. There was nothing that should have inhibited
      me,” Herbst-Lucke remembers. “But, I had chronic foot problems.” Fighting multiple bouts of plantar fasciitis for five years, she
      was unable to race even once during that time. At 35, she hung up her running shoes once again.
      She certainly wasn’t the first runner to surrender to plantar fasciitis. A nagging injury that causes intense pain, the
      rehabilitation and prevention procedures are complicated. It wasn’t until she reached 40 that Herbst-Lucke finally figured out what
      she needed to do to manage her plantar fascia issues and compete again. As she discovered, the key to overcoming plantar fasciitis
      appears to lie in the ability to persevere through the trial and error process. Discovering the most effective combination of
      healing and prevention methods requires commitment.
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=19709

      2. The pain of running a marathon:
      Recent surveys conducted at marathons in Germany have found that as many as two-thirds of runners put their health at risk by taking
      painkillers before the race.
      But how widespread is the problem in Switzerland – a country where long-distance running events are increasing in popularity?
      Few people have qualms about popping a Tylenol, aspirin, Advil or Aleve pill to get relief from a headache.
      But the fact that these over-the-counter drugs are household names could lead to abuse by athletes as the German surveys have shown.
      And the medications are not as harmless as they seem.
      Advil, Aleve and aspirin are so-called non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDS) that not only suppress pain, but prevent the
      inflammation of joints that often affects long-distance runners. But if dehydrated, a runner using NSAIDS or Tylenol can experience
      liver failure.
      Matthias Kamber, director of Switzerland’s official anti-doping agency, told swissinfo.ch that, according to a large survey
      conducted two or three years ago, knowledge among the Swiss population as a whole about painkillers is quite poor.
      More...from Swiss Info at:
      http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/sport/The_pain_of_running_a_marathon.html?cid=8912206

      3. Detailed metabolic profile gives 'chemical snapshot' of the effects of exercise:
      Chemically speaking, you become a different person when you run, according to new research that maps how chemicals change in the
      blood during exercise, the May 26 issue of Science Translational Medicine reports.
      Using a system that analyzes blood samples with unprecedented detail, a team led by Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) researchers
      has developed the first "chemical snapshot" of the metabolic effects of exercise. Their findings, reported in the May 26 issue of
      Science Translational Medicine, may improve understanding of the physiologic effects of exercise and lead to new treatments for
      cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
      "We found new metabolic signatures that clearly distinguish more-fit from less-fit individuals during exercise," says Gregory Lewis,
      MD, of the MGH Heart Center, the paper's lead author. "These results have implications for the development of optimal training
      programs and improved assessment of cardiovascular fitness, as well as for the development of nutritional supplements to enhance
      exercise performance."
      The beneficial health effects of exercise - including reducing the risk of heart disease, stroke and type 2 diabetes - are well
      known, but the biological mechanisms underlying those effects are unclear. Previous investigations of exercise-induced changes in
      metabolites - biological molecules produced in often-minute quantities - have focused on the few molecules measured by most hospital
      laboratories. Using a new mass-spectrometry-based system that profiles more than 200 metabolites at a time - developed in
      collaboration with colleagues from the Broad Institute of Harvard and MIT, led by Clary Clish, PhD - the MGH-based team analyzed
      blood samples taken from healthy participants before, immediately following, and one hour after exercise stress tests that were
      approximately 10 minutes long.
      More...from Phys.org at:
      http://www.physorg.com/news194097405.html

      4. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine:
      ** Should You Train on Depleted Glycogen Stores?
      An article from Australia shows that novice exercisers who train after skipping breakfast have higher muscle levels of glycogen
      (stored sugar) than those who train after eating breakfast (Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, May 2010). When you run out
      of stored muscle sugar, you have to slow down, so having more sugar stored in a muscle should help you exercise longer. The faster
      you exercise, the greater the percentage of sugar that you use for energy. However, starting workouts with depleted stores of
      glycogen will not benefit competitive athletes who train for many hours each day, because restricting carbohydrates will cause them
      to tire earlier and thus do less work.
      In another study, researchers asked competitive athletes to train either on a high or low-carbohydrate diet (Journal of Applied
      Physiology, November 2008). Those training on the low carbohydrate diet had much greater gains in stored muscle sugar and ability
      to use fat for energy during cycling, although they couldn't train as intensely as the high-carbohydrate group in the first few
      weeks. However, during the last week there were no differences in training. Both groups improved their one-hour time-trial
      performances by
      about 12 percent.
      More recent data show that taking sugar during training sessions increases the amount of training an athlete can do without
      interfering with racing times (Journal of Applied
      Physiology, February 2009). At this time we do not have enough data to recommend restricting carbohydrates during training, or that
      it will increase endurance during competition.
      CAVEAT! Eating foods or drinks that cause a high rise in blood sugar within an hour BEFORE a race will cause you to tire earlier.
      A high rise in blood sugar causes your pancreas to
      release huge amounts of insulin which causes you to use up your stored muscle sugar at a much faster rate. When you run out of
      stored muscle sugar, you have to slow down because it forces you to burn more fat which requires more oxygen. Getting oxygen into
      muscles is the limiting factor in how fast you can race. Researchers at the University of Hull in the United Kingdom showed that
      bicycle racers rode much faster 40 kilometer time trials 45 minutes after eating a low glycemic index (GI) pre-race meal than a high
      glycemic one (Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport/ Sports Medicine Australia, January 2010). The low GI meal led to an
      increase in the availability of carbohydrates and a greater carbohydrate oxidation throughout the time trial.
      ** Protein After, Not During, Exercise
      High-protein meals eaten immediately after hard exercise have been shown to help athletes recover faster, but the data that taking
      protein during exercise improves an athlete's performance is extremely weak.
      Researchers from the University of Birmingham, UK, showed that adding protein (19g/hour) to a sugared drink does not improve
      one-hour cycling time trial, maximum power; or post exercise isometric strength, muscle damage (CPK) or muscle soreness (Medicine &
      Science in Sports & Exercise, June 2010). Protein also does not help athletes cycle faster in a 50-mile time trial (Medicine and
      Science in Sports and Exercise, August 2006). Most studies showing that adding protein to a carbohydrate drink improves performance
      were in people working at a fixed rate of effort over a long time, rather than using spurts of energy as athletes do in competition.

      Just about everyone agrees that taking in a carbohydrate drink helps improve performances in athletic events lasting more than an
      hour. In events lasting more than three hours, you also need salt. Calories come from carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. During
      highly-intense exercise, your muscles use carbohydrates far more efficiently than proteins or fats. So carbohydrates are the calorie
      source of choice during intense exercise.
      All sugared drinks except those with added artificial sweeteners contain eight percent sugar because that is the concentration at
      which the drinks taste best. You can increase
      endurance equally with fruit juice, special energy drinks or sugared carbonated soft drinks. Adding caffeine to the drink increases
      endurance even more because it helps to preserve your stored muscle sugar.
      ** What Causes Muscle Soreness?
      Your muscles should feel sore on some days after you exercise. If you go out and jog the same two miles at the same pace, day after
      day, you will never become faster, stronger or have greater endurance. If you stop lifting weights when your muscles start to burn,
      you won't feel sore on the next day and you will not become stronger. All improvement in any muscle function comes from stressing
      and recovering. On one day, you go out and exercise hard enough to make your muscles burn during exercise. The burning is a sign
      that you are damaging your muscles. On the next day, your muscles feel sore because they are damaged and need time to recover.
      Scientist call this DOMS, delayed onset muscle soreness.
      It takes at least eight hours to feel this type of soreness. You finish a workout and feel great; then you get up the next morning
      and your exercised muscles feel sore. We used to think that next-day muscle soreness is caused by a buildup of lactic acid in
      muscles, but now we know that lactic acid has nothing to do it. Next-day muscle soreness is caused by damage to the muscle fibers
      themselves. Muscle biopsies taken on the day after hard exercise show bleeding and disruption of the z-band filaments that hold
      muscle fibers together as they slide over each other during a contraction.
      Scientists can tell how much muscle damage has occurred by measuring blood levels of a muscle enzyme called CPK. CPK is normally
      found in muscles and is released into the bloodstream when muscles are damaged. Those exercisers who have the highest post-exercise
      blood levels of CPK often have the most muscle soreness. Using blood CPK levels as a measure of muscle damage, researchers have
      shown that people who continue to exercise when their muscles feel sore are the ones most likely to feel sore on the next day.
      Many people think that cooling down by exercising at a very slow pace after exercising more vigorously, helps to prevent muscle
      soreness. It doesn't. Cooling down speeds up the removal of lactic acid from muscles, but a buildup of lactic acid does not cause
      muscle soreness, so cooling down will not help to prevent muscle soreness. Stretching does not prevent soreness either, since
      post-exercise soreness is not due to contracted muscle fibers.
      Next-day muscle soreness should be used as a guide to training, whatever your sport. On one day, go out and exercise right up to the
      burn, back off when your muscles really start to burn, then pick up the pace again and exercise to the burn. Do this
      exercise-to-the-burn and recover until your muscles start to feel stiff, and then stop the workout. Depending on how sore your
      muscles feel, take the next day off or go at a very slow pace. Do not attempt to train for muscle burning again until the soreness
      has gone away completely. Most athletes take a very hard workout on one day, go easy for one to seven days afterward, and then take
      a hard workout again. World-class marathon runners run very fast only twice a week. The best weightlifters lift very heavy only once
      every two weeks. High jumpers jump for height only once a week. Shot putters throw for distance only once a week. Exercise training
      is done by stressing and recovering.
      From Dr. Gabe Mirkin at:
      http://www.drmirkin.com/

      5. Mental Attitude for Ironman:
      In the final days before you race an Ironman it is essential that you keep a few things in mind.
      Ironman essence – Gratitude
      The Ironman hype in the final week before race day often makes you forget the reason you are racing in the first place. Excitement
      is running high. Triathletes are everywhere, discussing race goals.
      This is a good time to remind yourself why you started in this sport. It is very likely you were attracted to triathlon, Ironman,
      because of the lifestyle it provides you; its health benefits; the opportunity to visit the great places around the world where
      triathlons are held; and for the unique friendships that develop between athletes.
      Ironman is a way to celebrate life: it is a gift to the have time, the health and the finances to take part in such a unique event.
      Remind yourself of the above in race week and try to focus less on your splits in each discipline, age-group placing or Kona slots:
      those are only consequences of a great race execution, based on your fitness and mindset.
      More...from TriFuel at:
      http://www.trifuel.com/training/triathlon-training/mental-attitude-for-ironman

      6. How Boston's Qualifying Times Inspire Excellence:
      The changing times reflect the changing sport.
      Saskia Oosting, an orange lei flapping around her neck, shouted joyfully as she approached the finish of the 2009 Miami Marathon
      (see image below). She crossed the line with her arms spread wide, as though in flight, in 3:47:59 -- a Boston Marathon qualifier.
      Katie Kirwan was seeking that same satisfaction at the Carlsbad Marathon 12 months later. She passed the half in 1:50:43 -- on pace
      for the 3:40 she needed -- but when the 3:40 pace group passed her in the 23rd mile, she says, "It was just devastating. Like a kid
      having her ice cream stolen or something." She crossed the line in 3:49:38.
      * * *
      For 113 years the Boston Marathon has inspired excellence in distance runners, and for 40 years Boston's qualifying times have
      defined the evolution of a sport. Their fine-tuning reflects two running booms, women's participation, the growth of age-group
      competition, the advent of computer timing, and a shift from competition toward participation. The Boston Athletic Association
      (B.A.A.), historically slow to embrace change, was nonetheless at the forefront of all these developments.
      In the late 1960s, after decades of 200-man fields, the early ripples of the running boom reached Boston. Thirteen hundred runners
      entered in 1969, overwhelming organizers and leading to discussion of qualifying times.
      Jeff Johnson covered "The ' Jogger ' Controversy" for Distance Running News by surveying some of the top finishers: Peter Stipe, of,
      ironically, the B.A.A. team, said, "There is a unique atmosphere surrounding an event where the worst can compete with the best. . .
      . It is Everyman's race." Teammate Phil Ryan asked, "Why limit this race to people of above average running ability? . . . Allow
      [joggers] to gain their own spot in the sun."
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=19160

      7. Sports psychology: self-confidence in sport – make your ego work for you!
      Self-confidence is not solely in the hands of fate, you are the person responsible for determining how confident you feel in a
      sporting encounter.
      When athletes feel confident, they are more readily able to turn sporting potential into superior performance. Conversely, when they
      feel unsure of themselves, the slightest setback or smallest hurdle can have an inordinate effect on their performance. Costas
      Karageorghis explores the nature of self-confidence and presents a theory underlying the causes of self-confidence in sport. He also
      reviews recent research and provides some powerful techniques that you can apply to enhance your own confidence or that of athletes
      in your charge
      What is self-confidence?
      “I don’t think it’s bragging to say I’m something special.”
      Muhammad Ali
      For many athletes, an explanation of the concept of self-confidence is hardly necessary as they know intuitively what it is. Indeed,
      self-confidence is so palpable in some athletes you can almost reach out and touch it. Their confidence is reflected in everything
      they say and do, in what they wear and how they look.
      Self-confidence is commonly defined as the sureness of feeling that you are equal to the task at hand. This sureness is
      characterised by absolute belief in ability. You may well know someone whose self-belief has this unshakeable quality, whose ego
      resists even the biggest setbacks. In such people, confidence is as resilient as a squash ball: the harder the blow, the quicker
      they bounce back. Nonetheless, although confidence is a desirable characteristic, arrogance – or a sureness of feeling not well
      founded in one’s ability – is undesirable. If self-confidence is perhaps the ‘guardian angel of sports performers’ then arrogance is
      their nemesis.
      More...from Peak Performance Online at:
      http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/sports-psychology-self-confidence-in-sport-make-your-ego-work-for-you-39657

      8. Toxic cities mock 'healthy' cycle riding:
      CYCLING to work may seem the healthy option, but a study has shown that people riding in cities inhale tens of millions of toxic
      nanoparticles with every breath, at least five times more than drivers or pedestrians.
      The research involved fitting cyclists with devices that could count the particles, mostly emitted by car exhausts, in the air they
      were breathing.
      It showed that urban concentrations of nanoparticles, which measure just a few millionths of a millimetre, could reach several
      hundred thousand in a cubic centimeter of air.
      The particles, when inhaled, have been linked to heart disease and respiratory problems.
      Because they are exerting themselves, cyclists breathe harder and faster than other road users. The study found that they suck in
      about 1,000 cubic cm with each breath, meaning they may inhale tens of millions of the particles each time they fill their lungs,
      and billions during a whole journey.
      “This is the first time anyone has counted the particles while also measuring people’s breathing during city commuting. It showed
      that cyclists can inhale an astonishing number of pollutant particles in one journey,” said Luc Int Panis of the transport research
      institute at Hasselt University in Belgium, who led the study.
      For the research, just published in the journal Atmospheric Environment, Int Panis and his colleagues asked cyclists to pedal while
      wearing a mask fitted with instruments that could measure and count the particulates, as such particles are known. All are invisible
      even in severely polluted air.
      More...from the Times Online at:
      http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article7140213.ece

      9. Study: 10 minutes of exercise, hour-long effects:
      Ten minutes of brisk exercise triggers metabolic changes that last at least an hour. The unfair news for panting newbies: The more
      fit you are, the more benefits you just might be getting.
      We all know that exercise and a good diet are important for health, protecting against heart disease and diabetes, among other
      conditions. But what exactly causes the health improvement from working up a sweat or from eating, say, more olive oil than
      saturated fat? And are some people biologically predisposed to get more benefit than others?
      They're among questions that metabolic profiling, a new field called metabolomics, aims to answer in hopes of one day optimizing
      those benefits — or finding patterns that may signal risk for disease and new ways to treat it.
      "We're only beginning to catalog the metabolic variability between people," says Dr. Robert Gerszten of Massachusetts General
      Hospital, whose team just took a step toward that goal.
      The researchers measured biochemical changes in the blood of a variety of people: the healthy middle-aged, some who became short of
      breath with exertion, and marathon runners.
      First, in 70 healthy people put on a treadmill, the team found more than 20 metabolites that change during exercise, naturally
      produced compounds involved in burning calories and fat and improving blood-sugar control. Some weren't known until now to be
      involved with exercise. Some revved up during exercise, like those involved in processing fat. Others involved with cellular stress
      decreased with exercise.
      More...from AP at:
      http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hsLx-TEsCYR4L9sbGumKqDuRWkcwD9G1T8EG0

      10. 2. VO2max - The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com:
      ** Abdominals
      Why do people train their abdominals differently than other muscles? The abdominal muscles, including the superficial rectus
      abdominis and external obliques and the deep transversus abdominis and internal obliques, contract and get stronger just like any
      other skeletal muscle. If you wouldn't do 200 biceps curls to shape your arms, why do 200 crunches to shape your midsection? All
      the late night T.V. infomercials that claim their revolutionary abs machine will shed fat and inches off your waistline are lying.
      Liar, liar, pants on fire! Since it takes a deficit of 3,500 calories to lose one pound, crunches will only shed fat and inches if
      you do enough of them to burn thousands of calories (this would take millions of crunches). So what burns thousands of calories,
      you ask? I'll give you one guess...
      Cardiovascular exercise. You can do as much abs training as you want, but you still won't see your abs unless you also do
      cardiovascular exercise (read: run) to get rid of the fat that lays over the muscles and beneath the skin. All people with flat
      stomachs or six-packs have a very low percentage of body fat.
      By the way, the six-pack that you strive for is not six separate muscles or three pairs of muscles; there are no "upper" and "lower"
      abs. Each "section" of the six-pack is part of the entire vertical muscle that is separated by horizontal inscriptions of a tendon.
      When muscles contract, fibers along the entire length of the muscle shorten. They do not contract with only part of their length.
      There is no evidence that upper and lower sections of the rectus abdominis can be preferentially recruited.
      It's funny to watch people in gyms because they tend to make movements that they would never do anywhere else. I've seen lots of
      people in gyms hang from their arms and lift their legs up toward their chests or lay on their backs and raise their legs toward the
      ceiling. When lifting the legs rather than bending the waist, the rectus abdominis is relatively inactive, only contracting
      statically to anchor your torso in place. The hip flexors (iliacus, psoas major, and psoas minor) and tensor fasciae latae muscle,
      rather than the abdominals, are responsible for lifting the legs upward (and it just looks silly).
      To decrease the stress on your spine when doing crunches, bend your legs at the knees with your feet on the ground. You can also
      lift your legs in the air and cross them at the ankles, which will tilt the pelvis downward, pressing the small of your back against
      the ground and decreasing the arch in your back. To increase the activity of the abs, lay on a movable surface, such as an
      inflatable exercise ball. And don't forget to run.
      ** Running Better
      Living in San Diego, I see a lot of runners. And I see a lot of runners running badly. Many of these runners run marathons. Many
      of these runners get injured training for marathons. One of the reasons they get injured is because they haven't learned how to run
      before attempting to train for a marathon. It's like playing in a tennis tournament before learning how to hit a backhand. Or
      entering a golf tournament before learning how to swing a golf club. Or entering a triathlon before learning how to swim. Or...
      you get the idea. If people spent time learning how to run and practicing correct running mechanics, there would be much fewer
      injuries. If you want to be a better runner, start by running better.
      For inexperienced runners, drills can help improve running mechanics and coordination. Running has an under-recognized neural
      component. Just as the repetition of the walking movements decreases the jerkiness of a toddler's walk to the point that it becomes
      smooth, the repetition of specific running movements can make a runner smoother and improves running economy, the amount of oxygen
      used to maintain a given speed. With countless repetitions, the runner's muscle fiber recruitment pattern becomes ingrained,
      allowing for smoother running mechanics and a more efficient application of muscular force. In addition to the neural adaptation
      obtained with drills, drills can increase flexibility, since their dynamic action moves joints through an exaggerated range of
      motion.
      Want to learn more about running better with specific drills? Schedule a session with me to work on your running mechanics at
      http://www.runcoachjason.com/coaching. Don't live in San Diego? No problem! Schedule a consultation with me at
      http://www.runcoachjason.com/consultingand have all of your running questions answered live!
      To view past newsletters go to: http://www.runcoachjason.com/newsletter
      Copyright Jason Karp All Rights Reserved - http://www.runcoachjason.com

      11. Milk: Two Glasses a Day Tones Muscles, Keeps the Fat Away in Women, Study Shows:
      Women who drink two large glasses of milk a day after their weight-lifting routine gained more muscle and lost more fat compared to
      women who drank sugar-based energy drinks, a McMaster study has found.
      The study appears in the June issue of Medicine and Science in Sport and Exercise.
      "Resistance training is not a typical choice of exercise for women," says Stu Phillips, professor in the Department of Kinesiology
      at McMaster University. "But the health benefits of resistance training are enormous: It boosts strength, bone, muscular and
      metabolic health in a way that other types of exercise cannot."
      A previous study conducted by Phillips' lab showed that milk increased muscle mass and fat loss in men. This new study, says
      Phillips was more challenging because women not only steer clear of resistance training they also tend to steer away from dairy
      products based on the incorrect belief that dairy foods are fattening.
      More...from Science Daily at:
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/05/100526141854.htm

      12. How to Run a Faster Marathon:
      The minute you cross the marathon finish line, you are most likely consumed with a mixture of emotion and relief. You did it! After
      months of training, you put together a solid race and made it all the way to the finish line. As you struggle to get your chip off,
      pick up your medal, get changed and find your family, there's one consistent and nagging thought that hits almost every finisher.
      It's the one thing that keeps us coming back to the 26.2-mile challenge. It's the knowledge that we can always be faster. It's not
      just competitive runners; it's part of the human condition. The good news is, you're right -- you can be faster. In this article,
      we'll cover the Principle of Specificity and give you insider tips on how to lay the foundation for a faster future marathon.
      There are essentially two ways to improve your marathon time: get faster or race faster.
      More...from Active.com at:
      http://preview.tinyurl.com/2vupwxx

      13. Sports psychology: the role of emotion regulation, music and the coach-athlete relationship:
      Sport psychology is a relatively young science but, as Andy Lane and Tracey Devonport explain, the years since the turn of the
      century have seen some major advances in understanding the role of the mind in sport
      Emotion regulation
      It is commonly accepted that playing sport can produce strong emotional responses. Examining how people manage these emotions has
      opened up new and exciting lines of research intended to inform ways of practice. For example, £2.2 million has recently been
      invested by the UK’s Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) to examine this subject and the resulting Emotion Regulation of
      Others and Self research group is currently conducting a four-year project due to finish in 2012. This research will capture some of
      the major advances in psychology with a view to turning these ideas into practice.
      Sport psychologists have tended to focus on emotions experienced before, during and after competition. In many ways, this is to be
      expected because these experiences are rich in emotional detail. However, a limitation of this approach is that it tends to ignore
      the carry-over effect of emotions experienced in daily life.
      For example, athletes who are stressed by work or by colleagues tend to become intensely emotional in sport, and have fragile belief
      in their ability to maintain appropriate performance states during intense competition. Meanwhile, athletes who are aware of, and
      able to effectively implement strategies to up-regulate emotions such as excitement, and down-regulate feelings such as lethargy and
      sluggishness, have an advantage over those that can’t or won’t.
      Athletes are commonly required to balance the demands of full-time employment or education with the demands of elite competition.
      Sport psychologists who have worked with elite athletes will be aware that pressures away from competition can affect preparation
      for the contest. As such, sport psychologists have begun teaching athletes coping skills that can transfer from one situation to
      another.
      More...from Peak Performance Online at:
      http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/sports-psychology-the-role-of-emotion-regulation-music-and-the-coach-athlete-relationship-42118

      14. Requiem for Running:
      Once a runner, always a runner.
      It is a runner’s morning: low humidity, 62 degrees, sunshine. The dawn chorus woke me early, beckoning me to go running. But I will
      not run today. Or tomorrow. Or ever. The morning birdsong that once lured me from sleep now mocks. I shut my eyes again as the swell
      of grief for my past running life lingers.
      I was sniped by fate—not a precise hit, but a clumsy, glancing blow. What began as a persistent hamstring strain increased in
      intensity. I took days off, then weeks. And yet, the nagging strain returned, becoming a pain that grew into a gnawing that chewed
      into my buttock, making me lurch like Quasimodo and forcing me to walk.
      Walking does not suit me. I am a runner. I am built for it. At midlife, I still have a runner’s narrow, ropy and lean physique.
      During adolescence, while my friends grew breasts and hips, I got passed over. I told myself such trappings would only slow me down
      and throw off the mechanics of my sleek, efficient framework. And I was fast; I was a high school state champion and record-holder,
      a three-time collegiate national champion and record-holder and a seven-time All-American. Sadly, fate was faster.
      I’ve tried to find the smoking gun. I turned 40 recently. Perhaps age was the culprit. For flexibility, I tried yoga. Perhaps the
      new regimen was to blame. Maybe there were simply too many miles on the chassis.
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=19671

      15. Digest Briefs:
      ** The Hustle in Your Muscle
      Do you know all of the major muscles in your legs?
      Your Legs: a Quick Guide
      Quadriceps
      Located on the front of the thigh, the quadricep extends the knee joint, allowing the leg to swing forward.
      Knee
      The joint that flexes, extends and rotates leg bones and ligaments, ensuring a smooth run. The knee is actually made of four bones:
      femur; tibia; fibula; and patella (or knee cap).
      The Hamstrings
      A group of muscles located behind the thigh and knee – counterbalance the quadriceps and decelerate knee extension.
      Illiotibial band
      Located in the outer thigh, the iliotibial band joins the pelvis, hip and knee. The illiotibial band is prone to injury – often
      referred to as Illiotibial Band Syndrome or ITBS – due to poor shoes, running on embankments or sudden increases in speed or
      distance. “The illiotibial band is a unique, non-elastic structure since it connects bone to bone like a ligament but also has
      muscles attached to it, allowing it to function as a tendon,” says Rindlisbacher.
      Calf
      The largest part of this group is known as the gastrocnemius; this muscle flexes the ankle and stabilizes the knee. Without proper
      warming up and stretching, the calf is prone to spasms and cramping – more so than other muscles.
      Piriformis
      This muscle rotates the thigh outward, and connects the sacrum to the femur. The piriformis can irritate the sciatic nerve, causing
      piriformis syndrome – a neuromuscular disorder that causes pain, tingling and numbness in the buttocks and along the path of the
      sciatic nerve descending down the lower thigh and into the leg. Stretching helps to head off piriformis syndrome.
      Glutes
      A cluster of muscles in the upper leg. The gluteal maximus is one of the strongest muscles in the human body; it extends the hip and
      supports the pelvis during a run. Located beside the gluteus maximus, the gluteal medius abducts the hip upon leg extension. This
      powerhouse supports the body when gravity is located over one leg, and the other leg is extended off-ground behind the torso.
      From Irun Magazine at:
      www.iRun.ca

      THIS WEEK'S FEATURED EVENTS:
      *Please verify event dates with the event websites available from our FrontPage (www.runnersweb.com)

      June 4, 2010:
      Television - CBC
      Diamond League - Oslo, Norway
      2:00 pm-4:30 pm ET LIVE

      June 5, 2010:
      Freihofer's Run for Women - Albany, NY

      Hospital Hill Run - Kansas City, MO

      June 6, 2010:
      Deadwood Mickelson Trail Marathon- SD

      Road Runner Sports Fremont 5K - Fremont, WA

      Rock 'n' Roll Marathon - San Diego, CA

      ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon & 10K - MD

      June 19, 2010
      Emilie's Run
      The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women
      http://www.emiliesrun.com

      mailto:webmaster@... to notify us of the problem. To update your Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the

      Ken

      Ken Parker
      www.RunnersWeb.com
      mailto:kparker@...
      613-746-4053
      http://www.OACRacingTeam.com
      http://www.EmiliesRun.com

      RUNNER'S WEB AFFILIATE PROGRAMS:
      All revenue from advertisers and affiliate programs goes into the support of running and triathlon through sponsorship of events,
      teams, clinics and fund raising programs for Canada's Olympic athletes.

      Puma
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000005110141&pubid=21000000000028567

      Champion
      http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=h1QosBYBFXw&offerid=113858.10000144&type=1&subid=0

      Free Ground Shipping on Orders of $175 or More at Patagonia.com
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000012303508&pubid=21000000000028567

      Your very own personal trainer at a fraction of the cost
      http://www.cartville.com/app/?af=473063

      Check out TotalWellness's mp3 Personal Training Program - only 5% the Cost of Regular Personal Training!
      http://www.totalwellnessconsulting.ca/fitter_u_totalwellness.htm

      Buy Paula Radcliffe's book, My Story - So Far, from Amazon UK at:
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/074325242X/runnersweb-21

      Instant Stretching Routines
      Design unlimited stretching routines today, starting from scratch, in under 60 seconds!
      http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/cmd.php?af=245575&u=http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/newsletter.php

      ShoeWallet.com has set out on a mission to enable people to easily carry ID and medical information at all times. Basically, anyone
      who is out on the roads or trails needs a convenient place to carry this vital information.
      http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?joggerscompanion+pXgxpm+index.html+

      SportsShoes in the UK
      http://www.sportsshoes.com/index.php?id=149

      If you have an accident while running or cycling, do you want your family to be contacted? Do you want to receive immediate and
      proper medical treatment?
      If so, make this cool item part of your gear -- for safety and peace of mind. Road ID has created 4 awesome ways for athletes to
      wear ID: the SHOE, the WRIST, the ANKLE, and the NECK. Get your RoadID at:
      http://www.roadid.com/?referrer=50

      The Stretching Handbook:
      http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/cmd.php?af=245575&u=http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/newsletter.php
      The Stretching Video in a DVD version. With the DVD version you're able to use the convenient menu facility to:
      * Go directly to a specific stretch;
      * View only stretches for a specific muscle group;
      * Pause each stretch to get a good look at how it is performed;
      * View only the introduction and rules for safe stretching; or
      * Play the entire video from start to finish.

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS:
      This newsletter has been composed using Outlook set to "Text" format. The Digest is sent via an email list at
      http://groups.yahoo.com.
      If you experience any delays in receiving your copy of the Digest, please advise us at:
      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for viruses.
      Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor (me) prior to being released to the group. If you have any questions regarding
      the options available for receiving this digest,
      mailto:Webmaster@...
      *NOTE*
      **[ Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two lines. If you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you paste
      the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or another appropriate suffix ].
      Note: An increasing number of media sites require free registration. If you wish to sign up for free access to sources for our
      articles without using your main email address we suggest the use of a mail alias program such as http://www.emailias.com.

      *** END OF RUNNER'S AND TRIATHLETE'S WEB DIGEST...***