Runner's and Triathlete's Web - May 7, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2010
      those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at
      http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out our daily news, features, polls, trivia, bulletin
      boards and more. General questions should be posted to one of our forums available from our FrontPage.

      1. Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women - Canada's Fastest Women's 5K
      Emilie's Run is over for another year. Tara Quinn-Smith set a new course record of 16:15.7 beating the 16:29 set by Nicole Stevenson
      in 1996. 364 women completed the race with 33 women running under 20:00
      The 2010 race will be run on June 19th.
      For more on the race visit the website at:
      http://www.emiliesrun.com.

      3. Toronto Waterfront Marathon, September 27, 2009
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/STWM_Transporter.html

      4. Goodlife Fitness Toronto Marathon - October 17, 2010
      Register before the end of this month for the Marathon, Half Marathon, or 5k and save $$. Fees increase March 1st!
      http://www.torontomarathon.com/

      5. Training Peaks
      The Runner's Web has partnered with Training Peaks to provide online coaching from experts such as Hal Higdon, Joel Friel and Matt
      Fitzgerald. Sign up at:
      https://home.trainingpeaks.com/create-account-personal-edition.aspx?af=RunnersWeb

      6. January 4, 2008: Goodlife Fitness has come on board as a sponsor of Emilie's Run GoodLife Fitness - Coed or Women's Only Visit
      www.GoodLifeFitness.com today to receive 3 FREE Visits! Your 3 FREE visits include: . A Visual Fitness Planner Consultation . Fit
      Fix Orientation to learn how to exercise safely and effectively . Access to all cardio and strength-training equipment . Access to
      all of our world-class Group EXercise classes . A copy of Living the Good Life audio CD Get started today! Visit
      www.GoodLifeFitness.com Limited time offer.

      7. iRun Magazine
      More than a million Canadians are runners, making it this country's most popular recreational and fitness activity. Canadians run
      for exercise and we run to raise money for important causes. We run alone and in groups. And every year, hundreds of thousands of us
      participate in organized races, from fun runs to marathons, which are growing steadily.
      Until now, Canadian runners haven't had our own running magazine. But now, there's iRun, providing a uniquely Canadian perspective
      on the activity and the sport. Published six times a year, iRun educates, informs and inspires Canadian runners.
      The Team
      Mark Sutcliffe, Publisher and Editor
      Mark has more than 20 years of experience in the Canadian media business. An avid runner, he has completed five marathons and 10
      half-marathons. He writes a popular weekly column on running in the Ottawa Citizen and co-hosts The Running Show every week on The
      Team 1200 radio. Mark is the former Executive Editor of the Ottawa Citizen and has also launched several publications, including the
      Ottawa Business Journal, now in its second decade, and the Kitchissippi Times, a successful community newspaper in Ottawa. His
      writing has appeared across the country in daily newspapers, and magazines like Macleans and Canadian Business.
      Ray Zahab, Contributing Editor
      Ray Zahab is Canada's most renowned ultramarathon runner. A former pack-a-day smoker, Ray transformed his life by becoming a
      successful long-distance runner, winning some of the world's most challenging foot races. Beginning in November 2006, Ray and two
      other runners ran across the Sahara Desert in 111 days, averaging 70 kilometres per day without a single day's rest. Ray is an
      accomplished public speaker, writes regularly about running and coaches athletes striving to achieve their own goals.
      Distribution
      iRun is Canada's highest-circulation and most popular running magazine. With a total distribution of 50,000 and more than 9,000
      subscribers, iRun is leading the market in the rapidly growing and highly desirable demographic of Canadian runners.
      http://www.irun.ca/

      9. Mi-Sport - The Ultimate Sports MP3 Player Introducing the world's first and only waterproof and wireless sports mp3 player.
      These Mi-SPORT mp3 headphones have a 1GB memory built into a cool neckband design. At last no wire tangle and no earbuds to fall
      out. The patented design makes this waterproof/sweatproof mp3 player great for running, cycling and gym work. The player however is
      more than splash proof! It can be completely submerged with no harm to it making it perfect for swimming, kayaking, and water
      skiing. Now incorporating the latest 3D music quality with it's adapted waterproof speaker. Relax to music in the bath, or push out
      that training session with no fear of losing your player or tangling the wires. Circuit training is so much easier with your own
      music. Enjoy the waves wire-free. This is the only waterproof pair of classic headphones with a built in mp3 player in the world.
      The stylish looking headphones play the usual MP3, WMA and WAV formats and are compatible with Windows98/98SE/2000/XP and Apple MAC.
      Depending on track length, the headphones hold well over 14 hours worth of music and the rechargeable battery life is about 8 hours.
      Nick Matthew, the 2006 British Open squash champion now uses the player to train with and Mi-SPORT are endeavouring to encourage
      more athletes to enjoy the benefits of training to wire-free music, podcasts or coaching aids. Inspiration and freedom at last, for
      athletes and exercise enthusiasts everywhere.
      Check it out at: http://www.mi-sportmp3.com/

      TreadmillReviews.net
      "An ultimate running resource that writes reviews on treadmills for almost every make and model out there. High quality reviews that
      really go above and beyond to make your treadmill hunting easy."
      http://www.treadmillreviews.net/

      ASSOCIATIONS:
      The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional Organization for the Running Industry.
      http://www.runningusa.org/

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS: Check the "New Subscribers' note at the bottom of the newsletter

      Add the Runner's Web News feed to your site through a simple JavaScript. Check out OnTri.com's implementation at:
      http://www.ontri.com/runnersweb.html
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is now available

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet Explorer from the link on our FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com . We have added a button for Lauren Groves, Triathlete.

      TWITTER
      Follow us on Twitter at:
      http://twitter.com/runnersweb

      FACEBOOK
      I've created a Runner's Web Group on Facebook. To join the Runner's Web Facebook group, if you are not a member of Facebook, you

      If anyone is looking for a web mail provider, you might wish to consider Google's GMail. You can now sign up for free Gmail at
      Google WITHOUT AN INVITATION at: www.gmail.com

      The Runner's Web has partnered with Training Peaks to provide online coaching from experts such as Hal Higdon, Joel Friel and Matt
      Fitzgerald. Sign up at:
      https://home.trainingpeaks.com/create-account-personal-edition.aspx?af=RunnersWeb

      Event directors, add your event to our Event Calendar at:
      http://runnersweb.mhsoftware.com/

      Watch live and webcast of Track and Field and Road races on Universal Sports
      Sign up at:
      http://www.universalsports.com//SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23000&KEY=&SPID=13055&SPSID=105551

      We have 2645 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe at:

      ROAD RUNNER SPORTS
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/Mobile_RRS.html

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey. Sheila is one of Ottawa's top multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C
      Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public Health and works in the field of nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the
      University of California, San Diego. Her column index is available at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/SK_index.html

      * Peak Running Performance Peak Running Is The Nation's Most Advanced Running Newsletter. Rated as the #1 Running Publication by
      Road Runner Sports (Worlds Largest Running Store) , Peak Running caters to the serious / dedicated runner. Delivering world class
      running advice are some of running's most recognizable athletes including Dr. Joe Vigil (US Olympic Coach), Scott Tinley (2 Time
      Ironman Champ) Steve Scott (3 Time Olympian) and many more. This bi-monthly newsletter has been around for over 13 years, and in the
      past two it has been awarded the "Golden Shoe Award" in recognition of it's outstanding achievements.

      * Running Research News: RRN's free, weekly, training update provides subscribers with the most-current, practical, scientifically
      based information about training, sports nutrition, injury prevention, and injury rehabilitation. The purpose of this weekly e-zine
      is to improve subscribers' training quality and to help them train in an injury-free manner. Running Research News also publishes a
      complete, 12-page, electronic newsletter 10 times a year (one-year subscriptions are $35); to learn more about Running Research
      News, please see the Online Article Index and "About Running Research News" sections below or go to RRNews.com. Check out the
      article index at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RRN_index.html

      community. We have NO personal postings this week.

      THIS WEEK'S DIGEST ARTICLE INDEX:

      1. Sports Nutrition 2010
      A science-based quest for the optimal running diet.
      2. VO2max - The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com
      3. Marathon racing: how to remain hydrated
      4. Anabolic steroid users may face heart trouble
      5. Ask the Doctor: How Does Achilles Tendonitis Develop From Just One Bad Run?
      I've never had Achilles problems before!
      6. Does Post-Workout Protein Really Speed Recovery?
      It makes sense to think that quick, post-workout protein intake might boost recovery.
      7. Miles To Go
      Can intense physical training on just a few hours sleep possibly have an upside?
      8. Marathon & Beyond Monday: The Infection Connection
      9. Plantar Fasciitis and Plantar Fasciitis Stretches
      10. But Is It Faster?
      Elite runners don't run barefoot. There's a reason for that.
      11. This Week in Running
      12. A Better Approach to Soft Tissue Injuries
      How to heal and prevent soft-tissue and repetitive-use injuries.
      13. Those Who Exercise When Young Have Stronger Bones When They Grow Old
      14. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine

      How many times have you DNFed in a race?

      PREVIOUS POLL RESULTS:
      Which of the following workouts do you incorporate into your training on a regular basis?

      Answers Percent Votes
      1 Long Runs 19% 31
      2 Tempo Runs 16% 26
      3 Hill Training 14% 23
      4 Pace Intervals 14% 23
      5 Speed Intervals 14% 24
      6 Running Drills 11% 18
      7 Pilates, Yoga, etc. 10% 17
      8 Other 4

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage ( http://www.runnersweb.com) as well as checking the results of previous polls.

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE MONTH: Running4Women:
      Welcome to your Running4Women Community!
      * Are you wanting to start running and don't know where to go for advice?
      * Have you been running for some time but are now lacking motivation?
      * Are you fed up with training regularly and getting nowhere?
      * Do you feel that you and your training are stuck in a rut?
      * Do you want to improve your performance?
      * Do you want a safe Forum where women who started with the same fears, anxieties and problems as you, post regularly?
      Visit the website at:
      http://www.running4women.com/

      BOOK/VIDEO/MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Stretching Handbook
      By Arnold Nelson, Jouko Kokkonen
      See inside every stretch-and maximize flexibility! Stretching Anatomy will arm you with the knowledge to increase range of motion,
      supplement training, enhance recovery, and maximize efficiency of movement. You'll also gain a detailed understanding of how each
      stretch affects your body.
      Stretching Anatomy is like having an X-ray of each stretch, only better. Not only do you see full-color illustrations of the muscles
      in action, but you also find out how changes in position can alter the muscle emphasis and difficulty and how variations can improve
      safety and effectiveness.
      Each exercise includes detailed instruction on how to stretch, when to stretch, primary and secondary muscle emphasis, and which
      muscles are activated for support. Stretching programs provide three levels of difficulty, including light stretching that can be
      used as a warm-up or to aid in recovery from soreness or injury. And summary movement tables show how to customize stretching
      programs to focus on key problem areas.
      Whether it is increased flexibility or reduced muscle soreness or tension, Stretching Anatomy allows you to see and feel the benefit
      of proper stretching technique.
      For more information or to buy the book from Human Kinetics visit:
      http://www.humankinetics.com/products/showproduct.cfm?associate=880&isbn=9780736059725

      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html and http://www.runnersweb.com/running/amazon.html

      THIS WEEK'S FEATURES:

      1. Sports Nutrition 2010:
      A science-based quest for the optimal running diet.
      For the most part, a good diet for a distance runner is the same as for our sedentary neighbors. Despite quibbles around the edges,
      most experts agree on the mainstays of lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains and fiber, and taking it easy on processed
      foods, large hunks of protein, and saturated fat. While it may be true that if the furnace is hot enough it will burn anything, that
      doesn't mean it doesn't care over the long run about the quality of the fuel going into the furnace. Some fuels burn more
      efficiently than others. Consider a sound diet an essential underpinning of the good health that allows good training over a
      lifetime.
      But what about beyond the basics? You ask more of your body than most of your neighbors do of theirs. Are there dietary tweaks,
      additions, manipulations that will improve your running performance? We consulted several sports nutrition experts to consider three
      topics:
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=19422

      2. VO2max - The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com:
      ** Heart Attacks & Marathons
      In light of the two runners who suffered heart attacks in the recent La Jolla Half-Marathon, I appeared on Fox 5 News in San Diego
      to discuss the safety of running long distances
      (http://www.fox5sandiego.com/videobeta/f5c9ad92-b2e5-43ee-8a08-f3fe2633ab00/News/Runners-in-La-Jolla-marathon-suffer-heart-attacks).
      I was asked by the reporter whether I was surprised by what happened. I said no. The marathon and half-marathon have become
      something other than athletic events in the U.S. While it is great that people want to complete such a difficult task and speaks to
      the inherent drive of humans, too many people are unwilling to do the necessary work to adequately prepare for such prolonged
      endurance challenges. Marathon training groups are popping up all over the place, offering people a quick and easy 4- to
      6-month,running 3 to 4 days per week path to the marathon. The result is that many people suffer one or more of many "itises" that
      befall runners who increase their volume and/or intensity too quickly(plantar fasciitis, Achilles or patellar tendonitis,
      illiotibial band friction syndrome, stress fractures,etc.). In the worst cases, the cardiovascular system fails because it is not
      prepared to handle the stress of running 13.1 or 26.2 miles.
      When people have heart attacks in races, we collectively begin to wonder if we are putting ourselves at risk. After all, despite
      the fact that there are more runners now than ever before, there has always been a lingering wonder or suspicion if this running
      thing is really safe. Whether this suspicion dates back to the much-publicized heart attack of runner Jim Fixx, who died while
      running one day, or if it goes all the way back to the legendary ancient Greek runner Pheidippides, who dropped dead after running
      over 20 miles from Marathon to Athens, is speculative. But it's always there, however faint it may be. While running presents an
      acute risk to your cardiovascular health because of the dramatic increase in heart rate, cardiac output, vasoconstriction, and blood
      pressure, the long-term effects of running every day more than outweigh the slight acute risk. By a lot. There is a mountain of
      scientific evidence to show that people who are in better cardiovascular fitness have a lower risk of many diseases and death. So,
      if your goal is to live for the next hour, don't run. But if your goal is to live for the next 40 or 50 years, then run as often as
      you can. Just be smart about the rate at which you increase it.
      Often, when people get injured, they begin to think that maybe their bodies are not suited to running such long distances, and they
      get turned off from the sport, when their injuries may simply be from not taking a more systematic approach to their training. The
      human body is remarkable at adapting to stress, when that stress is applied in small doses. As more and more people attempt to run
      a marathon, the support system provided by these training groups must catch up. And people themselves must realize that nothing in
      life worth doing is achieved easily. It takes a lot of work over a long period of time to be successful at nearly everything, from
      owning a business to running a marathon. And that's okay. Because it is in the journey, not the final result, that we discover who
      we are and what we can become.
      ** Cardio Fat Buster
      (from Karp, J.R., 30 Minute Cardio Fat-Buster. Ultra-Fit. Dec. 2009)
      Whether you are a lawyer, a businessman or woman, or a professional athlete, we all want to make the best use of our workout time.
      So, how can you make your cardio workouts more efficient and obtain the greatest fat-burning benefit in the least amount of time?
      Research has shown that the intensity of exercise, rather than its volume and frequency, is more important for improving and
      maintaining fitness. High-intensity exercise is also great for burning fat, as it keeps your metabolic rate elevated for hours
      after your workout. Gone are the days of 15 or 20 minutes of steady-state cardio on the elliptical trainer or stationary bike at an
      intensity easy enough to allow you to read a magazine. If you want to lose fat, that's not going to cut it. Ignore those
      "fat-burning zones" written on the panels of cardio machines. If you focus your efforts and make your workouts count, you can lose
      a significant amount of fat in just 30 minutes for each workout. Tempo workouts, intervals, pyramids, and ladders are the best
      30-minte workouts to lose fat. Try these workouts:
      Tempo Workout
      * 20 minutes at a comfortably hard intensity
      * 4 x 5 minutes at a comfortably hard intensity with 1:00 recovery
      Intervals
      * 4 x 3 minutes at 90-95% max HR with 3 minutes recovery
      * 3 x 4 minutes at 90-95% max HR with 3 minutes recovery
      Pyramids
      * 1 minute, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, 4 minutes, 3 minutes, 2 minutes, 1 minute hard with equal time as recovery
      * 2 minutes, 4 minutes, 5 minutes, 4 minutes, 2 minutes hard with 3 minutes recovery
      Ladders
      * 1 minute, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, 4 minutes, 5 minutes hard with equal time as recovery
      * 2 sets of [30-second sprint, 1-minute sprint, 1:30 sprint, 2 minutes hard with 2 minutes recovery]
      Want to know more about how to burn fat? Go to http://www.runcoachjason.com/consultingwhere you can schedule a consultation with me
      and have all of your questions answered live!

      3. Marathon racing: how to remain hydrated:
      How many drinks stations can you afford to miss in a marathon?
      We've had a few letters from Peak Performance readers who feel that they could have performed better if they had used sports drinks
      more wisely. One particularly interesting query went as follows:
      "A recent Marathon I ran in had sports drinks available every two miles. Should I have tried to 'hit' all of those stations, or
      would it have been okay to skip a few?"
      Skipping a sports-drink stop now and then is tempting, especially if you've lost time in the congested start of a big race or are
      trying to 'save time' early in the competition because of a fear of a late-race fall-off in running speed. Sometimes, especially if
      you're feeling pretty good, you just don't want to break your smooth flow and hassle with the sports-drink cups. At other times, the
      stations are so crowded that stopping to drink seems slightly risky - and very time-consuming.
      So, is it okay to skip? Well, let's analyze the situation. If someone were running the London (or some other) Marathon at 6:30 per
      mile pace, for example, he would normally reach a sports-drink stop every 13 minutes. That's a total of 9 stops in the first two
      hours (1:57) of the race, which basically means that he could skip one stop.
      More...from Peak Performance Online at:
      http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/marathon-racing-how-to-remain-hydrated-676

      4. Anabolic steroid users may face heart trouble:
      Bulking up with anabolic steroids appears to damage and weaken the heart, a new study shows, in principle increasing the odds of
      heart failure.
      While it's nothing new that steroids have bad health effects, the new findings show they may be more harmful than previously
      thought. In heart failure, a weakened heart can't pump enough blood around the body.
      The study did not find heart failure itself, just the signs of it, but in severe cases, the condition creates a backlog of blood in
      the lungs that makes breathing difficult, and may be fatal.
      "What makes this scary is that the full magnitude of the problem may not declare itself until after 20 or 30 years," said Dr.
      Harrison G. Pope of Harvard University, who worked on the new study, published in the journal Circulation.
      Pope, who has studied anabolic steroids for over 20 years, said the drugs began to crop up in gyms around the country in the 1980s,
      and quickly flourished. Today, as many as two million Americans may have abused the controlled substances at one point or another.
      "We may be seeing just the beginning of something that could become a huge public health problem," Pope said.
      More...from Reuters at:
      http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE63T5EW20100430

      5. Ask the Doctor: How Does Achilles Tendonitis Develop From Just One Bad Run?
      I've never had Achilles problems before!
      Q: Two weeks ago I ran in a new pair of sneakers. I had run in them one time previously with no problems. I felt a pain on top of me
      foot like a pressure point and adjusted my laces but it didn't help. I ran 6 miles anyway and while the top of my foot had pain due
      to the pressure point, my heel was fine. My ankle also was a bit stiff but no heel pain. The next day the top of my foot was sore
      from the pressure point but that is all.
      Two days later I tried to run and couldn't due to intense pain in my Achilles. I was in total surprise that I had such pain in my
      Achilles area and even walking was painful. Walking uphill was especially painful. I had no warning of this - no pain waking up in
      the morning, no pain just walking at work - just the slight pain on top from the pressure point.
      I tried a trail run a few days later as its a softer course and I wear trail runners. The pain wasn't as intense, but it was there.

      I have since taken two weeks off from running and I have no pain walking at work but if I squeeze my Achilles area I get a slight
      sensation - not sharp pain but pain. I have no idea what to do as this can't be an overuse injury and I have been running 10 years
      with never an Achilles problems. I am not sure when should I try to run again. I don't want this to get out of control.
      If it is tendinitis, how does the condition develop from just one run?
      -- Diane, NJ
      A: Achilles tendinitis can develop in runners of all abilities, even seasoned veterans. Running with foot pain (pressure point) most
      likely caused you to alter your gait; this would account for the ankle stiffness that you were experiencing at the end of your run.
      It's a little surprising that you did not experience discomfort when you got out of bed the following morning, but if you were still
      modifying your gait due to pain from the pressure point, you may not have stressed the Achilles tendon enough to cause pain.
      Typically, tendinitis does not develop from one bad run, but is the culmination of months (or years) of repetitive microtrauma. It
      adds up over time and it is not uncommon for someone to suddenly present with tendinitis. A slight change in gait or change of
      footwear may be enough to cause the symptoms to occur.
      With that said, you need to keep in mind that you have over 1000 footstrikes per mile (often 1500 strikes). If any part of the lower
      extremities (especially the foot and ankle) is even a little weak, problems will develop over the course of several miles.
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=19443

      6. Does Post-Workout Protein Really Speed Recovery?
      It makes sense to think that quick, post-workout protein intake might boost recovery.
      And promote higher performances on subsequent days of training. Indeed, some research has suggested that protein intake can help
      athletes adapt to their workouts more effectively. However, such studies have been flawed methodologically, and a new investigation
      reveals that combining protein with carbohydrate after workouts is not a superior strategy, compared with taking carbs alone.
      You've heard them: The "experts" who cite scientific studies to support their contention that post workout protein intake boosts
      recovery. The internet marketers who rave about their specific blends of amino acids, expensive supplements which are purported to
      help athletes stay healthy and recover more quickly after strenuous training.
      And the athletes who claim that their health problems disappeared and their performances soared after they began using various
      protein-rich concoctions. Is all this protein fanfare just poppycock, or can post-workout protein supplementation really help you
      recover more effectively and become a better runner?
      At first glance, the strategy of taking in protein immediately after exercise seems to make sense. Think, for example, about
      situations in which you have gone overboard with your training: When you have carried out too many one-leg squats, completed too
      much downhill running, or simply run too far during a training session, your muscles let you know about your mistake by producing an
      incredible amount of post workout soreness and stiffness.
      Your recovery from such effort is much-slower than usual, as the discomfort and tightness associated with your excesses may linger
      for 48 hours or more.
      If we looked carefully at your muscle metabolism during such painful, extended recoveries, we would find that one of the key
      departures from normalcy would reside in your muscles' sudden adoption of a "negative nitrogen balance". That is, your muscles would
      be breaking down and losing more protein than they were making.
      This scenario has caused some exercise scientists to theorize that negative nitrogen balance is the key event which retards
      recovery. If this is true, swallowing a significant amount of protein after workouts should decrease the possibility of negative
      nitrogen balance (by providing the basic building blocks for the protein-construction process) and thus increase the likelihood of a
      quick and effective recovery.
      Even in cases when notable muscle soreness and stiffness are not produced, it is known that muscle-protein synthesis can be
      depressed for several hours after a strenuous workout. When protein is ingested after training sessions, however, protein synthesis
      tends to increase, and necessary repair operations should be able to proceed more easily within muscle fibers. It seems only
      logical, then, that post workout protein ingestion might be beneficial for recovery.
      One problem with this thinking, however, is that some of the research linking post-workout protein consumption with higher
      muscle-protein anabolism has involved the simultaneous ingestion of protein and carbohydrate following the workouts. Thus, it is not
      clear whether the better post workout protein profile was the result of the ingested protein, the taken carbs, or some combination
      of the two.
      Carbs?? What do those completely lacking-in-nitrogen compounds have to do with protein creation? As it turns out, carbohydrate
      ingestion after a workout can have powerful effects on intramuscular protein breakdown and synthesis.
      For example, post-workout carbs (without any protein along for the ride) can decrease the rate of protein degradation in muscles and
      increase whole-body protein creation. These twin effects are of course highly desirable for athletes, whose performances will
      generally fall if significant quantities of protein are lost (remember that proteins are the building blocks of muscles and that
      certain proteins can also serve as energy-releasing enzymes within muscle cells).
      How can carbs conserve protein and also boost protein synthesis? For years, exercise scientists have reckoned that the basic
      mechanism underlying carbohydrate's protein-helping properties is simply that ample carbs give muscles enough energy to stimulate
      protein production (and also provide enough fuel so that muscles don't need to break down protein to provide basic energy
      requirements).
      However, proteins are made of subunits called amino acids, and the breakdown of a very important group of amino acids called the
      branched-chain amino acids is regulated by the activity of an enzyme called BCOAD. As you might expect, a diet which is very rich in
      protein leads to an increase in BCOAD activity in the liver. On the other hand, when athletes step up their carb intakes, BCOAD
      activity drops. Thus, luxuriant carbohydrate ingestion seems to spare protein by calming down BCOAD.
      Thus, we are left with a rather-perplexing situation. Post-workout protein ingestion seems to be able to enhance muscle-protein
      anabolism, but post training carb intake might heighten protein-building just as well - or even better. This might seem really crazy
      to you: After all, you may be thinking, where would muscles get the amino acids to build their proteins during recovery if they were
      not being ingested following exercise? The answer is that muscles have the ability to simply remove the amino acids which are
      natural constituents of blood plasma. Blood-borne amino acids are always "standing by" for potential use by the muscles.
      As another alternative (to the notion that carbs or protein might be better at spurring recovery), some combination of protein and
      carbs might be the "answer" for speedier recovery.
      Making matters even more complicated, actual performance has seldom been measured in the existing recovery research, which has
      tended to look at rates of protein synthesis and degradation rather than 10-K times. Thus, it might be possible to observe
      somewhat-better protein building inside muscles following workouts in association with a particular intake of carbs and/or protein,
      but this enhanced synthesis might not produce any actual change in exercise capacity, which is of course the desired end result.
      The true goal of recovery is not just to have neat things happening with your muscle proteins: It is to adapt in such a way that you
      will be able to perform at a higher level in your workouts and competitions.
      In an attempt to sort out the roles played by carbohydrate and protein during recovery, researchers from the Georgia Institute of
      Technology and Georgia State University recently carried out a unique study with eight runners (five males and three females;
      average age 29). The athletes were highly trained, with an average best 5-K time of 1006 seconds (16:46) and a weekly training
      volume of about 98 kilometers (61 miles). Mean VO2max was 56.5 ml.kg-1.min-1, and average percent body fat was just 11.3 percent.
      The study had a beautiful, double-blind, cross-over design, and the athletes ingested three different beverages after their
      workouts, on separate occasions (at least seven days apart). One of the drinks, a carb-protein combo, was 8-percent sucrose and
      2.3-percent whey protein isolate, with branched chain amino acids, glutamine, and vitamins E and C.
      A second drink, identical in caloric content with the first beverage, was all carbs - with 8-percent sucrose and 2.3-percent
      maltodextrins. The third quaffable was our old friend, traditional GatoradeT, which contains no protein; with its sucrose-glucose
      composition, GatoradeT tips the drink-composition scale at - 6.3-percent carbohydrate. The three drinks were similar in color and
      flavor (the always-popular "fruit punch").
      The actual running proceeded as follows: The eight athletes reported to the laboratory in the morning in a fasted state (that is,
      without having breakfast) and completed a 21-K training run at an intensity of 70 percent of VO2max (about 80 percent of maximal
      heart rate) on an outdoor course. This 21-K workout was chosen because of its known ability to reduce muscle-glycogen concentrations
      rather dramatically.
      But that was just the beginning point for the runners' rigorous schedules! As soon as they returned to the laboratory following
      their 21-K runs, the harriers ran on a treadmill at an intensity of 90 percent of VO2max (about 94 percent of maximal heart rate)
      until a state of volitional fatigue was reached. Recovery then commenced.
      The overall quality of recovery was assessed during a 5-K race-completed on the day after a 21-K workout and two runs to exhaustion!
      During recovery, the runners consumed the carb-protein drink or - on a separate occasion when the same exercise protocol was
      utilized - the all-carb beverage in a manner which provided them with 1.0 grams of carbohydrate plus protein - or 1.0 grams of
      carbohydrate only - per kilogram of body weight per hour (1.0 gram per kilogram of body weight per hour is the current "gold
      standard" for carb replacement after training sessions have been completed). Please note that the 1.0 grams refer to the amount of
      carbohydrate ingested or the amount of carb-plus-protein taken in, not the mass of drink. The third drink, the GatoradeT, was
      consumed on a separate occasion in the same volume as the first two potables, but because of its lower carb content the GatoradeT
      provided just 6 grams of carbs per kilogram of runner body weight per hour.
      Then, after just two hours, the runners returned to their treadmills to warm up for five minutes, and they then completed another
      run to volitional exhaustion at 90 percent of VO2max. If the drinks were going to boost recovery, they were going to have to act
      quickly!
      Naturally, the researchers were not only interested in how the runners could perform after two hours of recovery: They also wanted
      to know what would happen on the following day. So, 24 hours after the end of the 21-K training run, all eight runners reported to a
      track and completed a 5-K time trial, running as quickly as they possibly could. Muscle soreness was assessed before this 5-K run,
      and performance times in the 5K were recorded.
      As it turned out, the 21-K workout was completed in an average time of 89 minutes. Blood glucose was higher 45 minutes after the
      completion of the 21K and the first treadmill run to volitional exhaustion when the high-carb concoction was used during recovery,
      compared with the carb-protein mix and the GatoradeT. However, during the second hour of recovery there were no blood-sugar
      differences between the three groups (note that the drinks were provided right after the first run to volitional exhaustion and
      again after one hour of recovery -two times in all).
      But - I am sure you are more interested in how the athletes actually performed, compared with the levels of carbs in their
      bloodstreams, and I'm with you. During the second run to volitional fatigue at 90 percent of VO2max (remember that the first of
      these runs occurred right after the 21-K effort and the second took place two hours after the first), the carb-protein and GatoradeT
      drinkers fared 41 percent better on the second test, compared with the first, and the all-carb guzzlers were 30-percent better.
      However, these results were not significantly different.
      A similar situation prevailed during the 5-K time trial on the following day, with 5-K times being almost exactly the same for carb
      recovery, carb protein recovery, and GatoradeT restoration!
      Running Research News is a monthly newsletter which keeps sports-active people up-to-date on the latest information about training,
      sports nutrition, and sports medicine. RRN publishes practical, timely new material which improves workouts, prevents injuries, and
      heightens overall fitness. www.runningresearchnews.com/catalog/running_nl

      7. Miles To Go:
      Can intense physical training on just a few hours sleep possibly have an upside?
      Sometimes I can't tell why I'm exhausted. Is it from the 100-plus miles per week I run to prepare my body for the grueling demands
      of a 26.2 mile race? Or is it from the insomnia that pulls me out of bed at 3 a.m. to pound out a 20 miler on the treadmill at a
      24-hour fitness club before most people have eaten breakfast? It's hard to say.
      The author running at the 2008 Olympic Trials Marathon in Boston. Sleep deprivation makes my life a bit more difficult and puts
      obstacles between me and my goal of making the 2012 United States Olympic team in the marathon. But I sometimes think that there is
      a part of it that actually helps prepare my body for the demands of a long-distance race.
      There is no doubt that sleep benefits physical performance. During rest the body repairs damaged muscle tissue and replenishes
      glucose stores so an athlete can train again the following day. Sleep deprivation has been linked to increased levels of the stress
      hormone cortisol, depression, injuries, and illness. Elite runners know the benefits of sleep and try to get as much as possible,
      often sleeping 8 to 10 hours per night with a long nap in between workouts.
      That much sleep is not an option for me. I fall asleep at night without much trouble but typically get up for a few hours and rarely
      sleep past 4 a.m.. And I can't remember taking a nap in the past 20 years. Definitely not since I started running.
      I've struggled with insomnia since I was a kid. The drug treatments I tried did more harm than good. I began taking over the counter
      sleep medications in sixth grade and saw a psychologist who thought I had anxiety issues. In college my problems got much worse and
      I was put on prescription meds. After college came even more medications and my running performance plummeted along with my mood. I
      learned the hard way on multiple occasions not to take Ambien the night before a race. The more medication I was on the worse I
      felt. I knew something needed to change. I finally kicked the drugs but it wasn't easy.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/02/miles-to-go/?ref=opinion

      8. Marathon & Beyond Monday: The Infection Connection:
      You've probably heard it said that exercise can strengthen the immune system. You've also probably heard it said that exercise can
      dampen the immune system. So what are we to make of the seemingly conflicting information? Today on Endurance Planet-a Marathon &
      Beyond Monday edition-we hear Sara Latta's story entitled The Infection Connection.
      Listen at Endurance Planet at:
      http://www.enduranceplanet.com/marathon-beyond-monday-the-infection-connection

      9. Plantar Fasciitis and Plantar Fasciitis Stretches:
      Learn the causes behind Plantar Fasciitis, plus how to treat it quickly and effectively.
      Plantar Fasciitis is a common athletic injury of the foot. While runners are most likely to suffer from plantar fasciitis, any
      athlete whose sport involves intensive use of the feet may be vulnerable.
      The risk of plantar fasciitis increases in athletes who have a particularly high arch, or uneven leg length, though improper
      biomechanics of the athlete's gait and simple overuse tend to be the primary culprits.
      If you suffer from plantar fasciitis or are seeking to prevent its occurrence it is important to follow the information in this
      article. In addition, making stretching a part of your fitness regime will have a significant impact. To get you started on a safe
      and effective stretching routine learn more about The Stretching Handbook and how it can improve your fitness.
      More...from the Stretching Handbook at:
      http://tinyurl.com/396wuq6

      10. But Is It Faster?
      Elite runners don't run barefoot. There's a reason for that.
      The runners of the Nike Oregon Project use just about every safe and legal means available to them to improve their performance.
      They train on underwater and antigravity treadmills, they work intensively with a staff strength coach and sports psychologist, they
      undergo regular laboratory biomechanical testing, they sleep in hypoxic chambers, they get massage therapy two or more times a week,
      and so forth. But there's one "recent innovation" they do not make much use of in their quest for speed: training and racing
      barefoot.
      Why not? Well, it could be because the team is sponsored by a running shoe manufacturer. Or it could be because its members don't
      believe that training and racing barefoot would make them faster. I asked one Nike Oregon Project runner, Kara Goucher, why she
      still wears shoes despite all the recent hoopla about barefoot running.
      "I do think there's a place for it," she said. "We do some barefoot running and some running in Nike Frees, but it's limited to
      warm-ups, drills, and cool-downs. The rest of the time I wear regular running shoes. I mean, I have an arch support built into my
      marathon flats! I know I need that support. I would be scared to run without it. I have a good feel for what I need, and I know that
      shoes help me."
      Read more: http://running.competitor.com/2010/05/features/but-is-it-faster_9784#ixzz0n9Gd0iWk

      11. This Week in Running:
      10 Years Ago- Mark Carroll (IRL) won the Cardinal Invitational Meeting (CA/USA) 10,000m with a
      27:46.82, leading four others under 28 minutes. Shaun Creighton (AUS) was 2nd at
      27:49.20 while Abdihakim Abdirahman (USA) was 3rd in 27:54.81. The men's 5000m
      was taken by Matt Giusto (USA) in 13:25.95 with Matthew Lane (USA) and Andre
      Williams (USA) following in 13:27.24 and 13:28.29 respectively. Rachel Kinsman
      (USA) won the women's 5000m in 15:45.22, followed by Maggie Chan (HKG) and Kimberly
      Fitchen (USA) at 15:49.67 and 15:50.38 respectively. This event is now known as
      the Payton Jordan Cardinal Invitational.
      20 Years Ago- Lynn Jennings (USA) won the Freihofer's Run for Women (NY/USA) 5K and the USA title
      with a time of 15:31.0. Leann Warren (USA) finished 2nd at 15:33.7 while PattiSue
      Plumer (USA) finished at 15:42.8 in 3rd.
      30 Years Ago- Waldemar Cierpinski (GER) won the Karl Marx Stadt (GER) Marathon in 2:11:17.
      Oyvind Dahl (NOR) was next at 2:11:40 while Hans-Joachim Truppel (GER) was 3rd
      at 2:11:56. This race completed its 20th running in 1987 and then died.
      40 Years Ago- Gert Eisenberg (GER won a 10,000m in Warsaw POL with a time of 28:43.8. Edward Mleczko
      (POL) was 2nd in 28:49.4.
      50 Years Ago- Peter McArdle (IRL) defeated Gordon McKenzie (USA) in an Olympic Development 10,000m
      held in Bridgeport CT/USA, 30:29.0 to 30:41.7.
      60 Years Ago- Giichi Noda (JPN) won the 5th edition of the Mainichi (Osaka JPN) Marathon in 2:37:25.
      This race is now known as the Biwa-ko Mainichi Marathon and is held in March.
      From The Analytical Distance Runner, the newsletter for the Association of Road Racing Statisticians
      with a focus on races, 3000m and longer, including road, track, and cross-country events.

      12. A Better Approach to Soft Tissue Injuries:
      How to heal and prevent soft-tissue and repetitive-use injuries
      "As a runner you get one of two choices: You either choose not to push the envelope, or you choose to have someone like me in your
      corner," says Dr. John Ball, a Phoenix-based chiropractor. A former Division I runner himself, Ball is well versed in the
      soft-tissue management techniques of Graston and the Active Release Technique (ART).
      Brett Gotcher has seen Dr. Ball work his magic first hand. The 2:10 marathoner running for McMillan Elite in Flagstaff, Arizona
      says, "I had a lot of issues going on during my marathon cycle and I was running out of options. After the first visit I was sold on
      it and was convinced that this guy was my savior."
      While many elite runners have become Graston and ART converts, the larger competitive running community is just beginning to jump on
      board. These techniques don't necessarily replace existing therapies, but they offer a whole new approach to injury treatment that
      has been largely overlooked. As Dr. Ball puts it, when it comes to addressing an injury once and for all, "you want a sniper, not
      someone with a machine gun."
      The Body's First Defense
      Perhaps that hitch in your gait or the inability to reach past your mid-shins when stretching doesn't need to be the status quo. Dr.
      Ball says he is constantly amazed by "the amount of dysfunction runners have in their bodies that they just write off as normal."
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=19503

      13. Those Who Exercise When Young Have Stronger Bones When They Grow Old:
      The positive effects of exercise while growing up seem to last longer than previously believed. New findings suggest that physical
      activity when young increases bone density and size, which may mean a reduced risk of osteoporosis later in life, reveals a thesis
      from the Sahlgrenska Academy at the University of Gothenburg, Sweden.
      For the thesis, around 3,200 men had their bones examined and their exercise habits mapped. Of these, just over 2,300 18-year-olds
      were selected at random to have their heel bone examined by the researchers. The heel bone is particularly useful to study as it is
      directly impacted by exercise, being loaded with the full weight of the body.
      "In this group, we found that those who actively did sports, and also those who used to do sports, had greater bone density than
      those who had never done sports," explains Martin Nilsson, physiotherapist and doctoral student at the Institute of Medicine.
      More...from Science Daily at:
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/05/100503111744.htm

      14. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine:
      ** The Incredible Health Benefits of Muscles
      Almost all people should do some form of strength training as they age. Aging causes loss of muscles which increases your risk for
      metabolic syndrome, diabetes, obesity,
      heart attacks and premature death (Sports Medicine, May 2010). Contracting muscles remove sugar from the bloodstream to prevent
      high blood sugar levels which damage every cell in your body.
      The authors reviewed the world's literature and found 13 placebo-controlled studies of the effect of lifting weights on health in
      later life. Weight lifting reduced HbA1c (a measure
      of cell damage caused by sugar stuck on cells), body fat, and systolic blood pressure. It did not affect diastolic blood pressure,
      triglycerides, HDL, LDL or total cholesterol.
      The only way you can enlarge muscles is to exercise them against progressive resistance. However, a recent report explains why
      middle-aged people are at such high risk for injury when they start a weightlifting program (American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine,
      May 2010). To enlarge muscles, you have to lift weights heavy enough to cause pain while you lift. This damages muscle fibers.
      Your immunity responds to this cell damage as it responds to an infection: with pain, swelling, and increases in white blood cells,
      cytokines and blood flow. You usually recover within hours or days. However, if you repeat a heavy workout before you recover from
      the previous one, it takes longer to recover and the tissue weakens, rather than being given time to heal and become stronger. You
      develop a condition called inflammation in which your immunity stays active all the time and attacks your own body (in the same way
      that it attacks invading germs) to prevent healing. Older people have exaggerated changes of inflammation in their muscles
      (American Journal of Physiology - Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology, April 2010). If you continue to take stress
      and recover workouts over many months and years, your muscles
      become stronger and heal faster so you can lift heavier weights to grow larger muscles.
      If you are a middle-aged person who wants to start a weight lifting program to gain the incredible health benefits of being stronger
      and having larger muscles, and at the same time,
      avoid the extremely high rate of injury in older weight lifters, you should avoid lifting heavy weights when your muscles feel sore
      and are still damaged from your previous intense workout. Check with your doctor to see if you have any condition that could be
      aggravated by lifting weights.
      The first rule is that beginners should lift light for several months before they try to lift heavy. Join a gym and use 10 to 20
      machines every day. Pick the heaviest weight that you can
      lift 10 times in a row comfortably without hurting, and do this every day. If you feel sore, take a day or more off. As it becomes
      easier to lift a weight, increase the repetitions until you can lift that weight 25 times in a row without discomfort.
      After you have followed this program for several months, you are probably ready to lift heavier weights that cause pain while you
      lift them. Unfortunately, the correct way to grow muscles also puts you at increased risk for injuring yourself. Pain is necessary
      for the muscle damage to grow larger and stronger muscles. I recommend getting special instruction on how to perform multiple sets
      that hurt, using proper form to minimize the risk of injury. Many lifters pick the heaviest weight that they can lift 10 times in a
      row, do three sets of 10 and feel very sore in their last set. After an intense workout, you should not lift heavy again until the
      soreness goes away.
      ** Dear Dr. Mirkin: Can training for marathons damage my heart?
      We have no evidence that intense exercise can damage a healthy heart. Italian researchers tested athletes who trained intensely in
      rowing, cross-country skiing, running, and cycling, for two to five consecutive Olympic Games over four to 17 years (Journal of the
      American College of Cardiology, April 2010). The researchers found no loss of heart muscle strength or in how much blood the
      athletes' hearts could pump at their maximum. The heart damage reported in some cyclists in the Tour de France was more likely
      caused by steroids, rather than by intense exercise
      (Circulation, April 27, 2010).
      From Dr. Gabe Mirkin at:
      http://www.drmirkin.com/

      15. Digest Briefs:
      ** Rates of aging
      "A new study of MRI images among middle-aged and older individuals discovered an association between personality and the amount of
      grey matter in the brain," Psych Central News reports. "Researchers studied 79 volunteers between the ages of 44 and 88 who also had
      provided personality and demographic data. Investigators discovered lower volumes of grey matter in the frontal and medial temporal
      brain regions of volunteers who ranked high in neuroticism traits, compared with higher volumes of grey matter in those who ranked
      high in conscientious traits. . 'This is a first step in seeing how personality might affect brain aging,' says Denise Head, PhD,
      assistant professor of psychology in arts and sciences at Washington University in St. Louis. . She notes also that the results
      could be seen as 'the tail wagging the dog.' That is, it is actually brain changes during aging that influence personality."
      ** Another way to do it
      "Curling up with laughter has similar effects on the body as pumping iron in the gym, a study has shown," Lyndsay Moss reports for
      The Scotsman. "Sessions of mirthful laughter - dubbed 'laughercise' by [U.S.] researchers - enhance mood, reduce stress hormones,
      boost the immune system and lower blood pressure and levels of bad cholesterol, researchers have found. Like physical exercise, they
      also appear to stimulate appetite, offering a potential way to help malnourished patients who are off their food."

      THIS WEEK'S FEATURED EVENTS:
      *Please verify event dates with the event websites available from our FrontPage (www.runnersweb.com)

      May 6-8, 2010:
      National Run a Mile Days - Nationwide

      May 8, 2010:
      (Inaugural) AKALI Project Athena 15K Trail Run - San Diego, CA

      I-Drive 5K - Orlando, FL

      Innovapost Walk/Run for Wishes - Ottawa, ON

      Fifth Third River Bank 25K - Grand Rapids, MI
      USA Championship

      Mothers Day 5K: Celebration of Active Generations - St. Paul, MN

      Santa Barbara Wine Country Half Marathon - Santa Ynez, CA

      XTERRA Malibu Creek Xduro - Malibu, CA

      Where's Franktown Road Races - Franktown, ON

      May 9, 2010:
      BIG 25 - Berlin, Germany

      Kirkland Half Marathon & 5K, Kirkland, WA

      Medtronic TC 1 Mile - Minneapolis, MN
      USA Championship

      Vancouver Sun Run - BC

      June 19, 2010
      Emilie's Run
      The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women
      http://www.emiliesrun.com

      mailto:webmaster@... to notify us of the problem. To update your Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the

      Ken

      Ken Parker
      www.RunnersWeb.com
      mailto:kparker@...
      613-746-4053
      http://www.OACRacingTeam.com
      http://www.EmiliesRun.com

      RUNNER'S WEB AFFILIATE PROGRAMS:
      All revenue from advertisers and affiliate programs goes into the support of running and triathlon through sponsorship of events,
      teams, clinics and fund raising programs for Canada's Olympic athletes.

      Puma
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000005110141&pubid=21000000000028567

      Champion
      http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=h1QosBYBFXw&offerid=113858.10000144&type=1&subid=0

      Free Ground Shipping on Orders of $175 or More at Patagonia.com
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000012303508&pubid=21000000000028567

      Your very own personal trainer at a fraction of the cost
      http://www.cartville.com/app/?af=473063

      Check out TotalWellness's mp3 Personal Training Program - only 5% the Cost of Regular Personal Training!
      http://www.totalwellnessconsulting.ca/fitter_u_totalwellness.htm

      Buy Paula Radcliffe's book, My Story - So Far, from Amazon UK at:
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/074325242X/runnersweb-21

      Instant Stretching Routines
      Design unlimited stretching routines today, starting from scratch, in under 60 seconds!
      http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/cmd.php?af=245575&u=http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/newsletter.php

      ShoeWallet.com has set out on a mission to enable people to easily carry ID and medical information at all times. Basically, anyone
      who is out on the roads or trails needs a convenient place to carry this vital information.
      http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?joggerscompanion+pXgxpm+index.html+

      SportsShoes in the UK
      http://www.sportsshoes.com/index.php?id=149

      If you have an accident while running or cycling, do you want your family to be contacted? Do you want to receive immediate and
      proper medical treatment?
      If so, make this cool item part of your gear -- for safety and peace of mind. Road ID has created 4 awesome ways for athletes to
      wear ID: the SHOE, the WRIST, the ANKLE, and the NECK. Get your RoadID at:
      http://www.roadid.com/?referrer=50

      The Stretching Handbook:
      http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/cmd.php?af=245575&u=http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/newsletter.php
      The Stretching Video in a DVD version. With the DVD version you're able to use the convenient menu facility to:
      * Go directly to a specific stretch;
      * View only stretches for a specific muscle group;
      * Pause each stretch to get a good look at how it is performed;
      * View only the introduction and rules for safe stretching; or
      * Play the entire video from start to finish.

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS:
      This newsletter has been composed using Outlook set to "Text" format. The Digest is sent via an email list at
      http://groups.yahoo.com.
      If you experience any delays in receiving your copy of the Digest, please advise us at:
      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for viruses.
      Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor (me) prior to being released to the group. If you have any questions regarding
      the options available for receiving this digest,
      mailto:Webmaster@...
      *NOTE*
      **[ Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two lines. If you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you paste
      the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or another appropriate suffix ].
      Note: An increasing number of media sites require free registration. If you wish to sign up for free access to sources for our
      articles without using your main email address we suggest the use of a mail alias program such as http://www.emailias.com.

      *** END OF RUNNER'S AND TRIATHLETE'S WEB DIGEST...***