Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest - April 2, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2010
      those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at
      http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out our daily news, features, polls, trivia, bulletin
      boards and more. General questions should be posted to one of our forums available from our FrontPage.

      1. Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women - Canada's Fastest Women's 5K
      Emilie's Run is over for another year. Tara Quinn-Smith set a new course record of 16:15.7 beating the 16:29 set by Nicole Stevenson
      in 1996. 364 women completed the race with 33 women running under 20:00
      The 2010 race will be run on June 19th.
      For more on the race visit the website at:
      http://www.emiliesrun.com.

      3. Toronto Waterfront Marathon, September 27, 2009
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/STWM_Transporter.html

      4. Goodlife Fitness Toronto Marathon - October 17, 2010
      Register before the end of this month for the Marathon, Half Marathon, or 5k and save $$. Fees increase March 1st!
      http://www.torontomarathon.com/

      5. Training Peaks
      The Runner's Web has partnered with Training Peaks to provide online coaching from experts such as Hal Higdon, Joel Friel and Matt
      Fitzgerald. Sign up at:
      https://home.trainingpeaks.com/create-account-personal-edition.aspx?af=RunnersWeb

      6. January 4, 2008: Goodlife Fitness has come on board as a sponsor of Emilie's Run GoodLife Fitness - Coed or Women's Only Visit
      www.GoodLifeFitness.com today to receive 3 FREE Visits! Your 3 FREE visits include: . A Visual Fitness Planner Consultation . Fit
      Fix Orientation to learn how to exercise safely and effectively . Access to all cardio and strength-training equipment . Access to
      all of our world-class Group EXercise classes . A copy of Living the Good Life audio CD Get started today! Visit
      www.GoodLifeFitness.com Limited time offer.

      7. iRun Magazine
      More than a million Canadians are runners, making it this country's most popular recreational and fitness activity. Canadians run
      for exercise and we run to raise money for important causes. We run alone and in groups. And every year, hundreds of thousands of us
      participate in organized races, from fun runs to marathons, which are growing steadily.
      Until now, Canadian runners haven't had our own running magazine. But now, there's iRun, providing a uniquely Canadian perspective
      on the activity and the sport. Published six times a year, iRun educates, informs and inspires Canadian runners.
      The Team
      Mark Sutcliffe, Publisher and Editor
      Mark has more than 20 years of experience in the Canadian media business. An avid runner, he has completed five marathons and 10
      half-marathons. He writes a popular weekly column on running in the Ottawa Citizen and co-hosts The Running Show every week on The
      Team 1200 radio. Mark is the former Executive Editor of the Ottawa Citizen and has also launched several publications, including the
      Ottawa Business Journal, now in its second decade, and the Kitchissippi Times, a successful community newspaper in Ottawa. His
      writing has appeared across the country in daily newspapers, and magazines like Macleans and Canadian Business.
      Ray Zahab, Contributing Editor
      Ray Zahab is Canada's most renowned ultramarathon runner. A former pack-a-day smoker, Ray transformed his life by becoming a
      successful long-distance runner, winning some of the world's most challenging foot races. Beginning in November 2006, Ray and two
      other runners ran across the Sahara Desert in 111 days, averaging 70 kilometres per day without a single day's rest. Ray is an
      accomplished public speaker, writes regularly about running and coaches athletes striving to achieve their own goals.
      Distribution
      iRun is Canada's highest-circulation and most popular running magazine. With a total distribution of 50,000 and more than 9,000
      subscribers, iRun is leading the market in the rapidly growing and highly desirable demographic of Canadian runners.
      http://www.irun.ca/

      9. Mi-Sport - The Ultimate Sports MP3 Player Introducing the world's first and only waterproof and wireless sports mp3 player.
      These Mi-SPORT mp3 headphones have a 1GB memory built into a cool neckband design. At last no wire tangle and no earbuds to fall
      out. The patented design makes this waterproof/sweatproof mp3 player great for running, cycling and gym work. The player however is
      more than splash proof! It can be completely submerged with no harm to it making it perfect for swimming, kayaking, and water
      skiing. Now incorporating the latest 3D music quality with it's adapted waterproof speaker. Relax to music in the bath, or push out
      that training session with no fear of losing your player or tangling the wires. Circuit training is so much easier with your own
      music. Enjoy the waves wire-free. This is the only waterproof pair of classic headphones with a built in mp3 player in the world.
      The stylish looking headphones play the usual MP3, WMA and WAV formats and are compatible with Windows98/98SE/2000/XP and Apple MAC.
      Depending on track length, the headphones hold well over 14 hours worth of music and the rechargeable battery life is about 8 hours.
      Nick Matthew, the 2006 British Open squash champion now uses the player to train with and Mi-SPORT are endeavouring to encourage
      more athletes to enjoy the benefits of training to wire-free music, podcasts or coaching aids. Inspiration and freedom at last, for
      athletes and exercise enthusiasts everywhere.
      Check it out at: http://www.mi-sportmp3.com/

      10. Rock 'n' Roll Arizona Marathon and Half-Marathon
      January 17, 2010
      Phoenix Scottsdale
      http://arizona.competitor.com/

      ASSOCIATIONS:
      The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional Organization for the Running Industry.
      http://www.runningusa.org/

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS: Check the "New Subscribers' note at the bottom of the newsletter

      Add the Runner's Web News feed to your site through a simple JavaScript. Check out OnTri.com's implementation at:
      http://www.ontri.com/runnersweb.html
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is now available

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet Explorer from the link on our FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com . We have added a button for Lauren Groves, Triathlete.

      TWITTER
      Follow us on Twitter at:
      http://twitter.com/runnersweb

      FACEBOOK
      I've created a Runner's Web Group on Facebook. To join the Runner's Web Facebook group, if you are not a member of Facebook, you

      If anyone is looking for a web mail provider, you might wish to consider Google's GMail. You can now sign up for free Gmail at
      Google WITHOUT AN INVITATION at: www.gmail.com

      The Runner's Web has partnered with Training Peaks to provide online coaching from experts such as Hal Higdon, Joel Friel and Matt
      Fitzgerald. Sign up at:
      https://home.trainingpeaks.com/create-account-personal-edition.aspx?af=RunnersWeb

      Event directors, add your event to our Event Calendar at:
      http://runnersweb.mhsoftware.com/

      Watch live and webcast of Track and Field and Road races on Universal Sports
      Sign up at:
      http://www.universalsports.com//SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23000&KEY=&SPID=13055&SPSID=105551

      mailto:webmaster@... or leave your comments in one of our Forums at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/forum.html or from our FrontPage.

      We have 2,637 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe at:

      ROAD RUNNER SPORTS
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/Mobile_RRS.html

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey. Sheila is one of Ottawa's top multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C
      Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public Health and works in the field of nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the
      University of California, San Diego. Her column index is available at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/SK_index.html

      * Peak Running Performance Peak Running Is The Nation's Most Advanced Running Newsletter. Rated as the #1 Running Publication by
      Road Runner Sports (Worlds Largest Running Store) , Peak Running caters to the serious / dedicated runner. Delivering world class
      running advice are some of running's most recognizable athletes including Dr. Joe Vigil (US Olympic Coach), Scott Tinley (2 Time
      Ironman Champ) Steve Scott (3 Time Olympian) and many more. This bi-monthly newsletter has been around for over 13 years, and in the
      past two it has been awarded the "Golden Shoe Award" in recognition of it's outstanding achievements.

      * Running Research News: RRN's free, weekly, training update provides subscribers with the most-current, practical, scientifically
      based information about training, sports nutrition, injury prevention, and injury rehabilitation. The purpose of this weekly e-zine
      is to improve subscribers' training quality and to help them train in an injury-free manner. Running Research News also publishes a
      complete, 12-page, electronic newsletter 10 times a year (one-year subscriptions are $35); to learn more about Running Research
      News, please see the Online Article Index and "About Running Research News" sections below or go to RRNews.com. Check out the
      article index at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RRN_index.html

      community. We have ONE personal posting this week.
      ONE:
      I would like to invite you to assist researchers at RMIT University in Melbourne who are currently investigating the design of
      running shoes and are collecting information about different exercise habits and how running shoes are used.
      As part of this work we have designed a short online survey and are looking for people who would like to help our research by taking
      part and answering a few basic questions about their running habits and providing some other general information. The only defining
      characteristic for participants taking part in this survey is that they should buy and use running shoes for fitness purposes (i.e.
      running, power walking, cross training etc) and NOT for fashion.
      If you are willing to assist, we would be greatly appreciative if you could either forward this message to anyone within your
      organisation that might like to take part, or post the link on your website.
      http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Running_Shoe_Survey
      Alternatively, if you require further information in relation to the online survey or running shoe research, please contact myself
      in the School of Aerospace, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering at RMIT University.
      We thank you in advance for your help and interest in our research.
      Kind Regards,
      Dr. Mike Burton
      Senior Research Fellow and Principal Project Investigator
      Email: mailto:sportzedge@...

      THIS WEEK'S DIGEST ARTICLE INDEX:

      1. High-Rep, Short-Recovery Strength Training Gets Runners Into Hydrogen-Management Industry
      2. Hydration - fluid intake advice and tips
      3. Icecold Calculations: How Much Cold Can We Actually Tolerate Without It Affecting Our Performance?
      4. Is Extreme Low-Fat Eating the Key to High Performance?
      Research strongly suggests otherwise.
      5. Fatty Food Can Weaken the Immune System
      6. Sports injuries: how runners can prevent and treat plantar fasciitis
      7. Studying exercise and cancer - with Jack Layton's help
      8. New therapy helps heal soft-tissue injuries
      9. Marathon Training: Re-Thinking the Long Run, Part I
      10. Marathon & Beyond Monday: Hitting "The Wall"
      11. Massage may help lift depression
      12. Sports Injuries: When to Tough It Out
      13. What to Do on Rest and Recovery Days
      14. Planning The Right Taper: Fast, Exponential Decay May Be The Way

      Which of the following magazines do you read?
      220 Magazine
      Canadian Running
      Inside Triathlon
      iRun
      Runner's World
      Runner's World UK
      Running Times
      Track and Field News
      Triathlete Magazine

      Previous Poll Results"
      Which of the following have your purchased ONLINE in the past year?
      Answers Percent Votes
      1 Books, Magazines 15%
      2 Coaching Services 10%
      3 Clothing 14%
      4 Heart Rate Monitor 9%
      5 Running Shoes 16%
      6 Speed/Distance or GPS Watch 12%
      7 Sports Drinks, Bars, Gels, etc 11%
      8 Sports Watch 9%
      9 Other 4%

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage ( http://www.runnersweb.com) as well as checking the results of previous polls.

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE MONTH: XTERRA WETSUITS
      The World's Fastest and Most Flexible Triathlon Wetsuit.
      XTERRA WETSUITS' core mission is to make your triathlon swim fast and comfortable, and to offer you the highest performing wetsuit
      at the best value. We've been doing this all over the world since our founding in 2001. Each of our owners is a triathlete who wears
      what we make, and we treat our customers the way we want to be treated when shopping for technical triathlon equipment.
      Our wetsuits are born in San Diego - the birthplace of the triathlon. We begin by designing them for ourselves since we are going to
      use them. We want the same things you want in a triathlon wetsuit - comfort speed, buoyancy and value. Then we test them ourselves,
      right here in Mission Bay, home of the first ever triathlon - the XTERRA WETSUITS Mission Bay Triathlon.
      When you buy an XTERRA WETSUIT, you aren't going to be getting it from the second or third company to own it and pass it along
      through multiple distribution channels. You deal directly with us. We eat, sleep, and breathe triathlon wetsuits. That means much
      lower prices for higher performing wetsuits with quick, personalized, friendly, and excellent service.
      Visit the website at:
      http://www.xterrawetsuits.com

      BOOK/VIDEO/MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Sport Nutrition-2nd Edition
      An Introduction to Energy Production and Performance
      By Asker Jeukendrup, Michael Gleeson
      About the Product
      Product Description
      The new edition of Sport Nutrition: An Introduction to Energy Production and Performance presents the principles, background, and
      rationale for current nutrition guidelines specifically for athletes. Using a physiological basis, this text provides an in-depth
      look at the science behind sport nutrition. Students will come away with a comprehensive understanding of nutrition as it relates to
      sport and the influence of nutrition on exercise performance, training, and recovery.
      The chapters and the material within each chapter are sequenced in a logical order that will help instructors deliver a better
      course and spend less time in preparing lectures and tutorials. Instructors will also enjoy the completely new ancillaries with this
      edition, including an online instructor guide, test package, PowerPoint presentation package, and image bank. This text contains
      updated and expanded information to keep students current on the latest findings in sport nutrition:
      .A new chapter on training adaptations, including effects of nutrition on overtraining
      .New information on weight management and body composition for athletes
      .New research on carbohydrate and new recommendations for carbohydrate intake during training
      .An expanded discussion on the role of protein in strength and endurance exercise training
      .The latest information on exercise, nutrition, and immune function
      The new content complements the strong foundational information that the authors provided in the previous edition, including fuel
      sources for muscle and exercise metabolism, energy requirements for various sports, and a complete grounding in the macronutrients
      (carbohydrate, fat, and protein) and the micronutrients (vitamins and minerals). With more than 200 illustrations, new highlight
      boxes, and tables and sidebars throughout the text, students will be able to more easily grasp the scientific concepts presented in
      this text. Each chapter also includes learning objectives, key terms, and key points to help readers retain the information. The
      text presents not only nutrition principles but also the exercise biochemistry involved and the energy needs of athletes. Readers
      will better understand how supplements may be used in an athlete's diet, and they will learn how to separate fact from fallacy
      regarding the claims of the numerous nutritional supplements available today.
      More than a simple prescription of recommendations, this second edition of Sport Nutrition features a unique presentation that
      facilitates readers' understanding of the science supporting the nutrition recommendations. As a result, students will be prepared
      for advanced study and future careers, and professionals will gain the knowledge and confidence to provide sound advice to athletes.

      Buy the book from Human Kinetics at:
      http://www.humankinetics.com/products/all-products/Sport-Nutrition---2nd-Edition?associate=880&isbn=9780736079624

      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html and http://www.runnersweb.com/running/amazon.html

      THIS WEEK'S FEATURES:

      1. High-Rep, Short-Recovery Strength Training Gets Runners Into Hydrogen-Management Industry:
      When you are running fast, hydrogen icons (protons) tend to pile up in your leg-muscle cells. Although it is no longer clear that
      such accumulations automatically induce fatigue (1), it is very probable that they can have a negative impact on overall muscle-cell
      function (2). When you are finishing the last 400 metes of a 1500-meter, 5-K, or 10-K race at a furious pace, climbing a hill during
      challenging competition, or making a powerful within-race surge, it is nearly certain that you are better off if your leg-muscle
      concentrations of protons are moderate, rather than high. High-Rep, Short-Recovery Strength Training
      But how do you maintain proper proton prudence during hard running? We know that high- intensity interval training can help in this
      matter (3), but the effects of strength training on hydrogen-ion frugality are less clear. One inquiry found that athletes who
      engage in regular strength training have better proton regulation, compared with non-strength-trained individuals (4), but the
      control subjects in this research were untrained individuals, leading skeptics to suggest that training per se - and not necessarily
      strength training - causes proton modulation to prosper.
      Nonetheless, there is good reason to believe that resistance training might give muscle cells a hand with their hydrogen problems.
      One key is that vigorous, high-rep strength training has been shown to produce a large drop in intramuscular pH and a significant
      rise in blood-lactate concentration - similar to the changes which occur during high-intensity running (5). These "signals"
      associated with resistance training may act as they do after top-quality running, producing appropriate muscular adaptations and
      upgrades in hydrogen-handling capacity.
      More...from Running Research News at:
      http://runningresearchnews.com/News_And_Events.php?cid=1&iid=87

      2. Hydration - fluid intake advice and tips:
      New research suggests that optimum hydration is not just about 'drinking plenty' and hoping for the best. It actually requires a
      good deal more thought.
      Hydration is simple isn't it? Well, no actually! New research suggests that optimum hydration is not just about 'drinking plenty'
      and hoping for the best. It actually requires a good deal more thought. Andrew Hamilton explains:
      Lies and damn lies?
      Although the importance of maintaining hydration in sport is relatively straightforward compared to other aspects of sports
      nutrition, and has been studied for longer than just about any other area, new research continues to turn up surprising findings. A
      good example of this is the controversy that currently surrounds the advice given to athletes wishing to maintain optimum hydration.
      Official advice to athletes to drink enough to replace fluid lost in sweat during endurance events is coming under increasing attack
      from scientists. In 2006, the renowned exercise physiologist Professor Tim Noakes claimed in a hard-hitting leading article in the
      British Journal of Sports Medicine that the case against 'over-drinking' was proven 20 years earlier and that official advice has
      been influenced by the marketing needs of the sports drink industry(1). Meanwhile, Australian researchers called on the American
      College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) and other official bodies to revise their current fluid replacement guidelines in the light of
      their recent finding that even quite large fluid losses don't lead to dehydration or heat illness(2).
      More...from Peak Performance Online at:
      http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/hydration-fluid-intake-advice-and-tips-40789

      3. Icecold Calculations: How Much Cold Can We Actually Tolerate Without It Affecting Our Performance?
      The general aim of the ColdWear project at SINTEF is to gather physiological data on how we react to cold. These data will give
      scientists the expertise they need to develop what they call "advanced protection" for persons who operate in our most severe
      climate zones, such as Siberia and the Arctic.
      Among the products envisaged by the scientists are "intelligent" extreme-weather clothing. Technical clothing for elite athletes are
      also on the scientists' list of potential products that could see the light of day as a result of this project.
      A total of 21 persons have been tested under six temperature conditions, ranging from + 20 to -25 degrees, in the course of the past
      six months. The scientists have also carried out tests of "manual capacity," which gives us an idea of what cold does to our ability
      to concentrate and perform fine motor tasks at different temperatures, a capacity that is extremely relevant to industry.
      No other research team anywhere in the world has tested human subjects in extreme cold in this fashion. The figures obtained by the
      tests will soon be systematised, and the results will become a database of "cold" facts.
      More...from Science Daily at:
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/03/100304075710.htm

      4. Is Extreme Low-Fat Eating the Key to High Performance?
      Research strongly suggests otherwise..
      Kenyan dominance in distance running leads to the inevitable question of why they're so good. Is it what they eat? If so, should we
      all eat like that to run our best?
      A 2004 study of elite Kenyan men during an intensive week-long training block found very low-fat diet patterns. In fact, their diet
      was documented to get just 13.4% of its calories from fat. (According to the USDA 2005 estimates, the average American eats nearly
      2.5 times as much fat as the Kenyan runners who were studied.) The Kenyan study also found the men burned at least 600 more calories
      per day than they took in.
      The Kenyan diet investigated was that of men. It's a demonstration that a certain group of males can still achieve high levels of
      performance on very low-fat and low-energy diets, at least for a short time. (Again, the study tracked their diets for only a week
      and during an intensive training camp.) It's likely, however, that the opposite holds true in other runners, especially women.
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=19119

      5. Fatty Food Can Weaken the Immune System:
      Fresh evidence that fatty food is bad for our health has come to light: mice fed a lard-based diet over a long period got worse at
      fighting bacteria in the blood, reveals a thesis from the Sahlgrenska Academy.
      The mice fed the lard-based diet derived 60 per cent of their total calories from fat. They were compared with mice fed a low-fat
      diet, where no more than ten per cent of their calories came from fat. As expected, the mice on the high-fat diet got fatter. A more
      surprising result was that their immune system was less active. The white blood cells got worse at dealing with bacteria in the
      blood, which could have contributed to many dying of sepsis.
      "Obesity is usually associated with inflammation that does not result from an infection, which simply means that the immune defences
      are activated unnecessarily," says doctoral student Louise Strandberg who wrote the thesis. "Ironically, the mice on the high-fat
      diet seem to have a less active immune system when they really need it."
      Fat people are also at a greater risk of acquiring infection, for example in connection with an operation. In mice, the thesis shows
      that it is fatty food rather than obesity in itself which affects the ability to fight off sepsis caused by bacteria.
      More...from Science Daily at:
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/12/091208132526.htm

      6. Sports injuries: how runners can prevent and treat plantar fasciitis:
      Plantar fasciitis is the inflammation of the fascia on the bottom of the foot- but how do you get rid of it?
      Cases of plantar fasciitis can linger for months at a time, with pain increasing and decreasing in an unpredictable pattern. Often,
      plantar fasciitis discomfort may nearly disappear for several weeks, only to re-emerge full-blown after a single workout. About 10
      per cent of individuals who see a doctor for plantar fasciitis have the problem for more than a year.
      The plantar fascia is actually a thick, fibrous band of connective tissue which originates at the heel bone and runs along the
      bottom of the foot in a fan-like manner, attaching to the base of each of the toes. A rather tough, resilient structure, the plantar
      fascia takes on a number of critical functions during running and walking. It stabilizes the metatarsal joints (the joints
      associated with the long bones of the foot) during impact with the ground, acts as a shock absorber for the entire leg, and helps to
      lift the longi-tudinal arch of the foot to prepare it for the 'take-off' phase of the gait cycle.
      Although the fascia is invested with countless sturdy 'cables' of connective tissue called collagen fibres, it is certainly not
      immune to injury. In fact, about 5 to 10 per cent of all running injuries are inflammations of the fascia, an incidence rate which
      in the United States would produce about a million cases of plantar fasciitis per year, just among runners and joggers. Basketball
      players, tennis players, volleyballers, step-aerobics participants, and dancers are also prone to plantar problems, as are
      non-athletic people who spend a lot of time on their feet or suddenly become active after a long period of lethargy. A recent study
      found that over 50 per cent of people who suffer from plantar fasciitis are on their feet nearly all day, and many cases of plantar
      fasciitis seem to occur in 'sofa spuds' shortly after they've made their first trip around their garden with a lawn mower in the
      spring.
      More...from Peak Performance Online at:
      http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/sports-injuries-how-runners-can-prevent-and-treat-plantar-fasciitis-685

      7. Studying exercise and cancer - with Jack Layton's help:
      The NDP Leader, who is being treated for the disease, is participating in a medical research project.
      When Jack Layton participates in Harry's Spring Run-Off in Toronto next month, he'll be just one of thousands of participants
      raising money for prostate-cancer research programs at Princess Margaret Hospital. But walking five kilometres on April 3 isn't the
      only thing the New Democratic Party leader, who was diagnosed with the disease in December, is doing to help find better treatment
      options.
      In early February, Mr. Layton joined 70 other men in the Survivorship Exercise Program, a pilot project to study the relationship
      between physical activity and prostate-cancer-cell growth and survival rate. It operates out of the Princess Margaret Hospital
      Prostate Centre, where he is receiving treatment.
      "I heard about it from my doctor, John Trachtenberg," said Mr. Layton, 59. "I had met him 18 years ago when he was a member of the
      prostate-cancer team during my father's illness. Little did I know."
      More...from the Globe and Mail at:
      http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health/studying-exercise-and-cancer-with-jack-laytons-help/article1511663/

      8. New therapy helps heal soft-tissue injuries:
      Patients who've exhausted options may find relief.
      I see all sorts of patients in my sports medicine practice. Some have relatively simple problems that I can help right away. Other
      cases are more challenging -- but I have to confess that I look forward to those. There is yet another class of patient that does
      not fit into any "textbook" category. These patients have tried all the traditional treatments, but their ailments linger, hampering
      their ability to compete in their sport, or in the game of life. These are the patients who look at me with hope and ask, "What else
      have you got, doc?"
      Fortunately, the range of treatment options for musculoskeletal disorders is continually expanding. Many of these disorders involve
      specialized tissue called the myofascial system -- the network of connective tissue that essentially holds the muscles together.
      Mild trauma, repetitive stress and injuries resulting from sports and exercise can sometimes cause myofascial tissue to shorten or
      adhere to muscle tissue. This may result in pain, stiffness or restriction of movement that resists traditional therapies.
      More...from the National Post at:
      http://www.nationalpost.com/news/canada/toronto/story.html?id=2741434

      9. Marathon Training: Re-Thinking the Long Run, Part I:
      After months of training and focus, race day is getting closer seemingly by the minute. You've put in countless miles and have one
      last hurdle to clear before you can tackle the marathon: the long run.
      For many marathoners, the long run is a physical and mental test to make sure they are on track with their race day goals. Most
      chase an arbitrary mileage benchmark in their quest to confirm their preparation: for some it's 20 miles, for others it's 22.
      Instead of just plodding along to rack up miles, the long run is a chance to put the finishing touches on your race execution
      strategy and build some final critical fitness. Here are a few pointers to make sure you get it right.
      Your Body Doesn't Think In Terms of Miles
      A 2.5-hour run at long run pace is the same effort for Speedy Stan (7:00/miles) and Wandering Wally (12:00/miles). They are both
      running the same effort for the same time, it's just that Stan can rack up 21+ miles while Wally covers 12.5 miles. They are doing
      the same work, it's just that Stan's output is much higher.
      Inside Marathon Nation, the ultimate distance of our long runs is not built upon a fixed plan -- your mileage is determined by how
      fast you have proven you can run. If you can run an 18-minute 5K, for example, your long run will be capped at about 2.5 hours. If
      that same 5K takes you 36 minutes, then your long run will be capped at three hours.
      More...from Active.com at:
      http://tinyurl.com/ybg8ah8

      10. Marathon & Beyond Monday: Hitting "The Wall":
      "It felt like an elephant had jumped out of a tree onto my shoulders." That's how Dick Beardsley described hitting "The Wall" at the
      second marathon of his career. Most of us know what Beardsley spoke of but author and runner Sara Latta says that if you understand
      the scientific reasons behind "The Wall," you should be able to avoid it. This week's Marathon & Beyond Monday is a story from
      Latta. We hope it helps you avoid tree-dwelling elephants.
      Listen to the podcast on Endurance Planet at:
      http://www.enduranceplanet.com/marathon-beyond-monday-hitting-the-wall

      11. Massage may help lift depression:
      Massage therapy may help relieve symptoms of depression, a new review of the medical literature hints.
      The authors of the review, however, acknowledge difficulties with research on the effects of massage, including the fact that it's
      impossible to "blind" study participants or care providers to whether a person is receiving massage or a comparison treatment.
      Nevertheless, they say there is "good evidence to suggest that massage therapy is an effective treatment of depression."
      Depression is a huge public health problem, and treatment is often inadequate, Dr. Wen-Hsuan Hou of I-Shou University in Kaohsiung,
      Taiwan and colleagues note in their report.
      While massage can ease stress and tension and may have emotional benefits, the use of massage therapy in depressed patients is
      "controversial," the investigators note, and "there is no qualitative review of the treatment effect of massage therapy in depressed
      patients."
      To investigate further, they searched for randomized controlled trials of massage therapy in depressed patients. They identified 17
      studies including 786 people in all. In 13 of the trials, massage therapy was compared to another active treatment such as Chinese
      herbs, relaxation exercises, or rest, while four compared massage to a "no treatment" control group. Investigators also used a range
      of methods for evaluating mood and depression in study participants.
      Overall, the studies, which were of "moderate" quality, showed that massage therapy had "potentially significant effects" in
      alleviating symptoms of depression, the researchers report in the American Journal of Psychiatry.
      It's not clear from the analysis, they emphasize, whether a person would need to undergo regular massage therapy for benefits to
      persist.
      More...from Reuters at:
      http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE62T4AK20100330

      12. Sports Injuries: When to Tough It Out:
      YOU have been playing a lot of tennis recently, and now you think you have tennis elbow. Or you're a swimmer with an aching
      shoulder. A cyclist with sore knees. A runner with pain in your heel.
      Do you go to a doctor, or tough it out?
      Now, before you read on and decide I'm a therapeutic nihilist, I have to tell you that the idea for this column was suggested by a
      doctor-athlete, Paul D. Thompson, a marathon runner and a cardiologist at Hartford Hospital in Hartford.
      And his answer to his own question?
      "I think most folks should not go, because most general doctors don't know a lot about running injuries," he said, adding, "Most
      docs, often even the good sports docs, then will just tell you to stop running anyway, so the first thing is to stop running
      yourself."
      In fact, he said, because you probably will have to make a co-payment if you see a doctor, you will be adding insult - the fee - to
      your injury.
      Dr. Volker Musahl, an orthopedist at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, had the same sort of response. He competes in
      marathons and triathlons.
      "If you want to continue to run, don't see a doctor," Dr. Musahl said. He, like Dr. Thompson, said that if you were one of his
      patients, coming in with a sports injury like a sore knee or hamstring or heel or hip, he would just tell you to rest.
      But Dr. Musahl added a caveat. When he recommends staying away from doctors, he is talking about staying away if you have the usual
      sort of aches and pains that plague almost everyone who exercises regularly. There are red flags that should prompt you to get
      medical attention, Dr. Musahl said: pain that gets progressively worse, pain at rest or at night, joint swelling or bruises that do
      not heal, and knees or elbows or other joints that lock or seem unstable.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/01/fashion/01best.html?ref=health

      13. What to Do on Rest and Recovery Days:
      There are as many different types of runners as there are people who run. But one misconception that many runners hold in common is
      a work ethic that too often precludes rest. Some runners have to be held down in order to get the rest the body requires. Sooner or
      later that will come by way of injury or overtraining syndrome. For those runners, understanding that rest and recovery does not
      mean doing nothing, can break through the mile-aholic's misconceptions and change training habits for the better.
      For starters, we need to differentiate between rest and recovery days and light workout days. They are two different things. Rest
      and recovery days are just that. They are days primarily designed to rest and recover. Healthy runners need rest maybe once per
      week, or even just once or twice a month. Obviously injuries, illness, aging, staleness, increases in distance or intensity, and
      overtraining can create demands for more rest.
      Although rest is needed, it is still important to remain active on those days. The body, just like the mind, needs stimulation every
      day. Even after a grueling marathon many people find it's a good idea to move around, maybe take a walk, as early as the day after
      to avoid stiffening up. Even people who suffer heart attacks are encouraged to get out of bed and move around as soon as possible.
      On rest and recovery days it is important to avoid doing the worst thing you can do for your body... nothing.
      More...from Active.com at:
      http://tinyurl.com/yl34yho

      14. Planning The Right Taper: Fast, Exponential Decay May Be The Way:
      Almost all athletes and coaches agree that tapering - the reduction of training in a systematic way - is a good thing, because it
      ensures good recovery from heavy training (Gibla, M. et al., "The Effects of Tapering on Strength Performance in Trained Athletes,"
      International Journal od Sports Medicine, Vol. 15, pp. 492-497, ) and is a key part of preparation for an important competition
      (Shepley, B. et al., "Physiological Effects of Tapering in Highly Trained Athletes, " Journal of Applied Physiology, 72, pp.
      706-711, 1992). Unfortunately, there is a wide disagreement about how tapering periods should be constructed. These debates revolve
      around how long a tapering period should be, the extent to which training volume, intensity, and frequency should be reduced during
      a taper, and also - very importantly - the rate at which these variables should be reduced. PLANNING THE RIGHT TAPER
      One dispute has centered around whether tapers should contain "step reductions" in training or "exponential decays." In a step
      reduction, total running is reduced by a certain amount, and the new volume of training is sustained throughout the tapering period.
      In an exponential-decay situation, the quantity of training decreases steadily over the course of the taper (there is no step-down
      in volume but rather a continuous slide), reaching bare-bones levels at the end of the tapering period. One popular step-down
      strategy is to clip training by 65 to 70 percent and then maintain the new, lower volume of work for one to three weeks.
      Traditionally, exponential decays have been linked with shorter durations of time, often four to eight days.
      Until now, the relative merits of step-reduction and exponential-decay tapering have been poorly evaluated. Several years ago,
      outstanding tapering theorist Joe Houmard asked 5-K runners to cut training by 70 percent for three weeks (a step reduction). At the
      end of the 21-day period, the runners' 5-K race times were not significantly better, nor did the runners exhibit greater muscular
      power (Houmard, J. et al., "Testosterone, Cortisol, and Creatine Kinase Levels in Male Distance Runners during Reduced Training, "
      International Journal of Sports Medicine, Vol. 11, pp. 41-45). In contrast, a seven-day exponential decay in which training volume
      was reduced each day and overall weekly volume dropped by 85 percent produced dramatic improvements in 5-K race times and muscular
      power (Houmard, J. et al., :The Effects of Taper on Performance in Distance Runners," Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise,
      Vol. 26, pp. 624-631).
      More...from Running Research News at:
      http://runningresearchnews.com/News_And_Events.php?cid=1&iid=98

      15. Digest Briefs:
      ** Drinking alcohol slows arthritis: study
      Some studies have suggested moderate drinkers have a lower risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis, and now new findings link the
      habit to a slower progression of the joint disease. In a study that followed 2,900 adults with rheumatoid arthritis (RA), Swiss
      researchers found that light-to-moderate drinkers showed slower progression in their joint damage compared with non-drinkers. Heavy
      drinkers, on the other hand, showed the greatest progression. The findings, reported in the journal Arthritis & Rheumatism, are
      based on X-ray evidence of patients' joint damage and its progression over an average of four years. The difference seen in moderate
      drinkers' and non-drinkers' progression was not substantial enough to be apparent in daily life -- that is, worse symptoms or more
      disability in the non-drinkers, according to Dr. Axel Finckh, of University Hospital of Geneva, one of the researchers on the study.
      However, he told Reuters Health in an email, if the slower progression were maintained over decades, it could become important.
      There is also animal research suggesting that alcohol may inhibit arthritis, possibly by reducing inflammation.
      ** This Week in Running:
      10 Years Ago- Paul Tergat (KEN) led four others under one hour at the EDP Lisbon (POR) Half Marathon
      on a downhill course under conditions considered to have provided excessive aid. Tergat
      posted a 59:06 wuth Henrick Ramaala (RSA) 2nd at 59:20, Patrick Ivuti (KEN) 3rd at 59:31,
      Faustin Baha (TAN) 4th at 59:38, and William Kiplagat (KEN) 5th at 59:51. Three of these
      five never bettered their marks and only Ivuti managed a slight improvement on a course
      considered to be legitimate. Tegla Loroupe (KEN) ran 1:07:23 to dominate the women's
      race with Derartu Tulu (ETH) 2nd at 1:08:04 and Fernanda Ribeiro (POR) 3rd at 1:08:23.
      Of these three, only Tulu ran faster elsewhere at that was at the downhill Great North
      (ENG) Half Marathon.
      20 Years Ago- Marti tenKate (NED) won the City-Pier-City (Den Haag NED) Half Marathon with a 1:02:24.
      Peter Daenans (BEL) took 2nd in 1:03:32 and Gyula Borka (HUN) was 3rd in 1:03:41.
      Carla Beurskens (NED) won the women's race in 1:10:04, besting Iris Biba (GER) at
      1:10:54 and Marta Visnyei (HUN) at 1:12:42.
      30 Years Ago- Bill Rodgers (USA) won the Cherry Blossom (DC/USA) 10M over John Flora (USA), 47:09 to
      47:22. Steve Floto (USA) was 3rd at 47:30. Anne Hird (USA) won the women's race in
      55:34 with Pia Palladino (USA) 2nd at 56:03, and Kristen Bankes (USA) 3rd at 56:12.
      Hird placed 4th at the USA Masters Indoor Championships this past weekend in the
      V50 age group, clocking 11:49.09 for 3000m.
      40 Years Ago- Byron Lowry (USA) won the AAU Regional Trials (CA/USA) Marathon in 2:28:56. ADR
      contributor Jack Leydig (USA) was 2nd in 2:36:10 while Robert Deines (USA) was 3rd
      in 2:42:53.
      50 Years Ago- Abdesselem benRhadi (MAR) won the World Crosscountry Championships, held in Glasgow SCO.
      He bested Gaston Roelants (BEL) by 7 seconds who just barely outkicked John Merriman (ENG)
      for the silver medal.
      60 Years Ago- Toshio Fuke (JPN) won the 4th edition of the Kagawa (Marugame JPN) Marathon in 2:39:21.
      The following year, the race distance was shortened to 35 km and ten years later, it was
      shortened again to 20 km. Finally, in 1997, it was lengthened slightly to its present
      distance of a half marathon. This race celebrated its 62nd running this February.
      70 Years Ago- Greg Rice (USA) beat Don Lash (USA) over three miles indoors, 13:52.3 to 13:55.0.
      From The Analytical Distance Runner, the newsletter for the Association of Road Racing Statisticians
      with a focus on races, 3000m and longer, including road, track, and cross-country events.
      ** YOGA IMPROVES PHYSICAL, MENTAL HEALTH IN AFRICAN-AMERICAN HEART FAILURE PATIENTS
      INDIANAPOLIS - African-Americans with stabilized heart failure can reap a multitude of benefits from yoga, according to a study in
      the April issue of the official journal of the American College of Sports Medicine.
      Researcher Paula Pullen and her team found yoga improved cardiovascular health, flexibility, markers of heart inflammation and
      quality of life.
      "Yoga appears to be an effective, worthwhile pairing to standard medical care," Pullen said. "Our study is one of the first on this
      topic and the results merit even more attention to these benefits."
      Forty heart-failure patients participated in the study, with 21 participating in the yoga program. All participants completed
      treadmill, flexibility and EKG tests, and they self-reported quality of life with a questionnaire. Patients had similar baseline
      levels in all areas at the start of the yoga intervention program.
      Patients in the yoga program increased their aerobic capacity in treadmill tests by 22 percent, although it should be noted all 40
      patients were instructed to begin a regular walking program. Flexibility also significantly improved, with all participants
      improving on sit-and-reach tests by at least four centimeters. Vascular markers of inflammation decreased and quality-of-life scores
      increased.
      "It's important to note the marked improvements in both physical and mental health with these patients, as around 25 percent of
      heart-failure sufferers experience severe depression," Pullen said. "They often feel their lives are 'over' after a cardiac event
      and physical activity - in this case, yoga - can help curb those emotions."
      Pullen noted that incidence of heart failure among African-Americans has risen in recent years, giving even more importance to
      finding post-cardiac event interventions for this group.

      THIS WEEK'S FEATURED EVENTS:
      *Please verify event dates with the event websites available from our FrontPage (www.runnersweb.com)

      April 3, 2010:
      (Inaugural) 13.1 Marathon New York - NY

      Crescent City Classic - New Orleans, LA

      Harry's Spring Run-Off - Toronto, ON

      Santa Anita Derby Day 5K - Arcadia, CA

      April 4, 2010:
      Easter Sunday - Rise 'n' Shine 5K - St. Paul, MN

      June 19, 2010
      Emilie's Run
      The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women
      http://www.emiliesrun.com

      mailto:webmaster@... to notify us of the problem. To update your Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the

      Ken

      Ken Parker
      www.RunnersWeb.com
      mailto:kparker@...
      613-746-4053
      http://www.OACRacingTeam.com
      http://www.EmiliesRun.com

      RUNNER'S WEB AFFILIATE PROGRAMS:
      All revenue from advertisers and affiliate programs goes into the support of running and triathlon through sponsorship of events,
      teams, clinics and fund raising programs for Canada's Olympic athletes.

      Puma
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000005110141&pubid=21000000000028567

      Champion
      http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=h1QosBYBFXw&offerid=113858.10000144&type=1&subid=0

      Free Ground Shipping on Orders of $175 or More at Patagonia.com
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000012303508&pubid=21000000000028567

      Your very own personal trainer at a fraction of the cost
      http://www.cartville.com/app/?af=473063

      Check out TotalWellness's mp3 Personal Training Program - only 5% the Cost of Regular Personal Training!
      http://www.totalwellnessconsulting.ca/fitter_u_totalwellness.htm

      Buy Paula Radcliffe's book, My Story - So Far, from Amazon UK at:
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/074325242X/runnersweb-21

      Instant Stretching Routines
      Design unlimited stretching routines today, starting from scratch, in under 60 seconds!
      http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/cmd.php?af=245575&u=http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/newsletter.php

      ShoeWallet.com has set out on a mission to enable people to easily carry ID and medical information at all times. Basically, anyone
      who is out on the roads or trails needs a convenient place to carry this vital information.
      http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?joggerscompanion+pXgxpm+index.html+

      SportsShoes in the UK
      http://www.sportsshoes.com/index.php?id=149

      If you have an accident while running or cycling, do you want your family to be contacted? Do you want to receive immediate and
      proper medical treatment?
      If so, make this cool item part of your gear -- for safety and peace of mind. Road ID has created 4 awesome ways for athletes to
      wear ID: the SHOE, the WRIST, the ANKLE, and the NECK. Get your RoadID at:
      http://www.roadid.com/?referrer=50

      The Stretching Handbook:
      http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/cmd.php?af=245575&u=http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/newsletter.php
      The Stretching Video in a DVD version. With the DVD version you're able to use the convenient menu facility to:
      * Go directly to a specific stretch;
      * View only stretches for a specific muscle group;
      * Pause each stretch to get a good look at how it is performed;
      * View only the introduction and rules for safe stretching; or
      * Play the entire video from start to finish.

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS:
      This newsletter has been composed using Outlook set to "Text" format. The Digest is sent via an email list at
      http://groups.yahoo.com.
      If you experience any delays in receiving your copy of the Digest, please advise us at:
      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for viruses.
      Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor (me) prior to being released to the group. If you have any questions regarding
      the options available for receiving this digest,
      mailto:Webmaster@...
      *NOTE*
      **[ Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two lines. If you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you paste
      the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or another appropriate suffix ].
      Note: An increasing number of media sites require free registration. If you wish to sign up for free access to sources for our
      articles without using your main email address we suggest the use of a mail alias program such as http://www.emailias.com.

      *** END OF RUNNER'S AND TRIATHLETE'S WEB DIGEST...***