Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest - October 2, 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2009
      A FREE WEEKLY E-ZINE OF MULTISPORT RELATED ARTICLES. The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is a weekly e-zine dealing with the
      sports of running and triathlon and general fitness and health issues. The opinions expressed in the articles referenced by the
      Digest are the opinions of the writers and not necessarily those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at
      http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out our daily news, features, polls, trivia, bulletin
      boards and more. General questions should be posted to one of our forums available from our FrontPage.

      1. Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women - Canada's Fastest Women's 5K
      Emilie's Run is over for another year. Tara Quinn-Smith set a new course record of 16:15.7 beating the 16:29 set by Nicole Stevenson
      in 1996. 364 women completed the race with 33 women running under 20:00
      The 2010 race will be run on June 19th.
      For more on the race visit the website at:
      http://www.emiliesrun.com.

      3. Toronto Waterfront Marathon, September 27, 2009
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/STWM_Transporter.html

      4. Goodlife Fitness Toronto Marathon - October 18, 2009
      Register before the end of this month for the Marathon, Half Marathon, or 5k and save $$. Fees increase March 1st!
      http://www.torontomarathon.com/

      5. Training Peaks
      The Runner's Web has partnered with Training Peaks to provide online coaching from experts such as Hal Higdon, Joel Friel and Matt
      Fitzgerald. Sign up at:
      https://home.trainingpeaks.com/create-account-personal-edition.aspx?af=RunnersWeb

      6. January 4, 2008: Goodlife Fitness has come on board as a sponsor of Emilie's Run GoodLife Fitness - Coed or Women's Only Visit
      www.GoodLifeFitness.com today to receive 3 FREE Visits! Your 3 FREE visits include: . A Visual Fitness Planner Consultation . Fit
      Fix Orientation to learn how to exercise safely and effectively . Access to all cardio and strength-training equipment . Access to
      all of our world-class Group EXercise classes . A copy of Living the Good Life audio CD Get started today! Visit
      www.GoodLifeFitness.com Limited time offer.

      7. iRun Magazine
      More than a million Canadians are runners, making it this country's most popular recreational and fitness activity. Canadians run
      for exercise and we run to raise money for important causes. We run alone and in groups. And every year, hundreds of thousands of us
      participate in organized races, from fun runs to marathons, which are growing steadily.
      Until now, Canadian runners haven't had our own running magazine. But now, there's iRun, providing a uniquely Canadian perspective
      on the activity and the sport. Published six times a year, iRun educates, informs and inspires Canadian runners.
      The Team
      Mark Sutcliffe, Publisher and Editor
      Mark has more than 20 years of experience in the Canadian media business. An avid runner, he has completed five marathons and 10
      half-marathons. He writes a popular weekly column on running in the Ottawa Citizen and co-hosts The Running Show every week on The
      Team 1200 radio. Mark is the former Executive Editor of the Ottawa Citizen and has also launched several publications, including the
      Ottawa Business Journal, now in its second decade, and the Kitchissippi Times, a successful community newspaper in Ottawa. His
      writing has appeared across the country in daily newspapers, and magazines like Macleans and Canadian Business.
      Ray Zahab, Contributing Editor
      Ray Zahab is Canada's most renowned ultramarathon runner. A former pack-a-day smoker, Ray transformed his life by becoming a
      successful long-distance runner, winning some of the world's most challenging foot races. Beginning in November 2006, Ray and two
      other runners ran across the Sahara Desert in 111 days, averaging 70 kilometres per day without a single day's rest. Ray is an
      accomplished public speaker, writes regularly about running and coaches athletes striving to achieve their own goals.
      Distribution
      iRun is Canada's highest-circulation and most popular running magazine. With a total distribution of 50,000 and more than 9,000
      subscribers, iRun is leading the market in the rapidly growing and highly desirable demographic of Canadian runners.
      http://www.irun.ca/

      9. Mi-Sport - The Ultimate Sports MP3 Player Introducing the world's first and only waterproof and wireless sports mp3 player.
      These Mi-SPORT mp3 headphones have a 1GB memory built into a cool neckband design. At last no wire tangle and no earbuds to fall
      out. The patented design makes this waterproof/sweatproof mp3 player great for running, cycling and gym work. The player however is
      more than splash proof! It can be completely submerged with no harm to it making it perfect for swimming, kayaking, and water
      skiing. Now incorporating the latest 3D music quality with it's adapted waterproof speaker. Relax to music in the bath, or push out
      that training session with no fear of losing your player or tangling the wires. Circuit training is so much easier with your own
      music. Enjoy the waves wire-free. This is the only waterproof pair of classic headphones with a built in mp3 player in the world.
      The stylish looking headphones play the usual MP3, WMA and WAV formats and are compatible with Windows98/98SE/2000/XP and Apple MAC.
      Depending on track length, the headphones hold well over 14 hours worth of music and the rechargeable battery life is about 8 hours.
      Nick Matthew, the 2006 British Open squash champion now uses the player to train with and Mi-SPORT are endeavouring to encourage
      more athletes to enjoy the benefits of training to wire-free music, podcasts or coaching aids. Inspiration and freedom at last, for
      athletes and exercise enthusiasts everywhere.
      Check it out at: http://www.mi-sportmp3.com/

      10. ING Philadelphia Distance Run:
      The Half-Marathon race will be run on September 20, 2009.
      http://www.philadelphia.competitor.com

      ASSOCIATIONS:
      The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional Organization for the Running Industry.
      http://www.runningusa.org/

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS: Check the "New Subscribers' note at the bottom of the newsletter

      Add the Runner's Web News feed to your site through a simple JavaScript. Check out OnTri.com's implementation at:
      http://www.ontri.com/runnersweb.html
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is now available

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet Explorer from the link on our FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com . We have added a button for Lauren Groves, Triathlete.

      TWITTER
      Follow us on Twitter at:
      http://twitter.com/runnersweb

      FACEBOOK
      I've created a Runner's Web Group on Facebook. To join the Runner's Web Facebook group, if you are not a member of Facebook, you

      If anyone is looking for a web mail provider, you might wish to consider Google's GMail. You can now sign up for free Gmail at
      Google WITHOUT AN INVITATION at: www.gmail.com

      Shop Nike:
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000028587454

      The Runner's Web has partnered with Training Peaks to provide online coaching from experts such as Hal Higdon, Joel Friel and Matt
      Fitzgerald. Sign up at:
      https://home.trainingpeaks.com/create-account-personal-edition.aspx?af=RunnersWeb

      Event directors, add your event to our Event Calendar at:
      http://runnersweb.mhsoftware.com/

      Watch live and webcast of Track and Field and Road races on Universal Sports
      Sign up at:
      http://www.universalsports.com//SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23000&KEY=&SPID=13055&SPSID=105551

      mailto:webmaster@... or leave your comments in one of our Forums at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/forum.html or from our FrontPage.

      We have 2,598 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe at:

      ROAD RUNNER SPORTS
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/Mobile_RRS.html

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey. Sheila is one of Ottawa's top multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C
      Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public Health and works in the field of nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the
      University of California, San Diego. Her column index is available at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/SK_index.html

      * Peak Running Performance Peak Running Is The Nation's Most Advanced Running Newsletter. Rated as the #1 Running Publication by
      Road Runner Sports (Worlds Largest Running Store) , Peak Running caters to the serious / dedicated runner. Delivering world class
      running advice are some of running's most recognizable athletes including Dr. Joe Vigil (US Olympic Coach), Scott Tinley (2 Time
      Ironman Champ) Steve Scott (3 Time Olympian) and many more. This bi-monthly newsletter has been around for over 13 years, and in the
      past two it has been awarded the "Golden Shoe Award" in recognition of it's outstanding achievements.

      * Running Research News: RRN's free, weekly, training update provides subscribers with the most-current, practical, scientifically
      based information about training, sports nutrition, injury prevention, and injury rehabilitation. The purpose of this weekly e-zine
      is to improve subscribers' training quality and to help them train in an injury-free manner. Running Research News also publishes a
      complete, 12-page, electronic newsletter 10 times a year (one-year subscriptions are $35); to learn more about Running Research
      News, please see the Online Article Index and "About Running Research News" sections below or go to RRNews.com. Check out the
      article index at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RRN_index.html

      community. We have NO personal postings this week.

      THIS WEEK'S DIGEST ARTICLE INDEX:

      1. Running-Specific Circuit Drills
      The final frontier in the quest for PRs.
      2. Intense exercise may lower your blood count
      3. Pulling Together Increases Your Pain Threshold
      4. Endurance training: understanding your slow twitch muscle fibres will boost performance
      5. Mind Over Matter
      No, really, it works!
      6. Moderate exercise may lower prostate cancer risk
      7. Making Weight For a Race
      8. How Do Marathons Affect Your Heart?
      9. Training the Lydiard Way
      A podcast with Olympic marathon medalist Lorraine Moller.
      10. Credit Crunch: Pacing in a Race
      11. Long day at the office can kill will to exercise, diet: study
      12. 6 Solutions to Midrun Mishaps
      13. New Moms - Exercise Enhances Health During Breastfeeding
      14. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine

      "Paula Radcliffe has announced that she is running the New York City Marathon. How will she do?"

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage ( http://www.runnersweb.com) as well as checking the results of previous polls.

      LAST WEEK'S POLL RESULTS:
      Which City will win the bid to host the 2016 Olympics?
      Answers Percent
      1 Chicago 45%
      2 Madrid 15%
      3 Rio de Janeiro 30%
      4 Tokyo 10%

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE MONTH: TrackAlerts.com
      TrackAlerts.com came out of a passionate desire to inform and educate, through script and images, on Track & Field happenings, the
      world over, especially those that excite the maximum interest among our proven core interest group.
      Our aim, from the conception, is to attract and sustain contributions from respected journalists, photographers and others, even
      amateur contributors, who wish to express their thoughts, give their analyses and capture the sport of Track & Field and the
      athletes that make athletics interesting.
      From time to time, we will introduce new players in this market and feel confident that their stories, photographs will bring added
      interest to the particular sport and assist in its marketing and exposure.
      Through our frequent and on-going interviews, we will elicit insightful and relevant comment from the sports, sponsors,
      administrators, officials, participants, and fans, as, it is our view, that all should have their say.
      We applaud all those who from time immemorial have made the effort, paying the sacrifice, to ’stoke the fires’ and bring the image
      of and respect for the various sporting disciplines, to a level where we all can be justly proud of and comfortable with our
      interest, and we pledge to take all that passion to "a higher plane", adding prestige, beauty, and more respect to the particular
      sport.
      We are also determine, not only to provide the news to our readers, but provide quality images from various track & field events,
      locally, regionally, and internationally, especially for our loving Caribbean community.
      A hearty welcome to TrackAlerts.com, enjoy the best in stories and images. Your feedback, as we carry out our self-imposed mandate
      will always be welcome, and will be published, once it is appropriate.
      Email is at mailto:info@...
      IAAF members in North and Central America and the Caribbean, which we place significant interest. In doing so, we ask these
      countries listed below to provide us with the latest happenings, whether it’s on the track or in the board room. Send us your
      competition links, press releases or any other information you feel worth publishing…thanks
      Visit the site at:
      http://www.trackalerts.com

      BOOK/VIDEO/MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Enhancing Recovery
      Preventing Underperformance in Athletes.
      Enhancing Recovery: Preventing Underperformance in Athletes is the first book to address the multifaceted aspects and significance
      of recovery in maintaining high-level athletic performance. In this text, 21 contributors take an interdisciplinary approach to
      assist you in preventing overtraining and underperformance in athletes you work with. Enhancing Recovery focuses on recovery as a
      required component of training and the devastating effects of underrecovery, giving you new insights into treating and preventing
      overtraining and underperformance.
      The editor, Michael Kellmann, PhD, combines a wealth of information from medicine, physiology, periodization training, and
      psychology as well as studies of people’s motivation, health, and lifestyles to explore all aspects of underrecovery—not just in
      sports, but also in everyday life.
      Buy the book at:
      http://www.humankinetics.com/products/showproduct.cfm?associate=880&isbn=0736034005

      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html and http://www.runnersweb.com/running/amazon.html

      THIS WEEK'S FEATURES:

      1. Running-Specific Circuit Drills:
      The final frontier in the quest for PRs.
      Who among us runners has not drooled over the delicious successes of recent record-setting and medal-winning American athletes who
      are coached by the likes of John Cook, Terrence Mahon and Alberto Salazar? We see images of those speedsters in magazines, on TV and
      the Web, and we wonder, "How do they do it? How do they continually produce those huge, lifetime bests when their previous records
      were already spectacular and unbelievable? And how do they look so good, almost effortless, while doing so?"
      In this article, I will help you discover and implement a form of training that supplies part of the answer. It's been
      scientifically proven to increase strength, speed and power, prevent injuries, elevate endurance performance and ultimately help you
      become the fastest runner you can be. This training modality is instrumental in the coaching systems of Cook, Mahon and Salazar and
      the training of many world-class runners from around the globe, including Kenyans and Ethiopians. I have incorporated this type of
      training into the workouts of athletes I have coached, and almost all have set lifetime, age-group or course-specific PRs.
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=15738

      2. Intense exercise may lower your blood count:
      Exercise is good for you, but watch it: A new study found that young men engaging in strenuous physical activity are "an often
      overlooked" group that's at risk for low blood counts and iron deficiency.
      Dr. Drorit Merkel from the Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel-Hashomer and colleagues studied 153 males, all 18 years old, who were
      training to join an elite combat unit in the Israel Defense Force.
      In the September Journal of Adolescent Health, the investigators report that before the start of training, about 18 percent of the
      recruits had low blood count, or anemia. That rate almost tripled after six months of intensive military training, to just over 50
      percent.
      The rate of iron deficiency nearly doubled, from about 15 percent to 27 percent. The researchers do not report whether the recruits
      had any symptoms of anemia.
      More...from Reuters at:
      http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSTRE58H5PW20090919

      3. Pulling Together Increases Your Pain Threshold:
      A study of Oxford rowers has shown that members of a team who exercised together were able to tolerate twice as much pain as when
      they trained on their own.
      In the study, published September 16 in the Royal Society journal Biology Letters, researchers from the University of Oxford’s
      Institute of Cognitive and Evolutionary Anthropology found the pain threshold of 12 rowers from the Oxford Boat Race squad was
      greater after group training than after individual training.
      They conclude that acting as a group and in close synchrony seems to ‘ramp up’ pain thresholds. The underlying endorphin release may
      be the mechanism that underpins communal-bonding effects that emerge from activities like religious rituals and dancing.
      Each of the 12 rowers participated in four separate tests. They were asked to row continuously for 45 minutes in a virtual boat in
      the gym (as in normal training), in an exercise carried out in two teams of six and then in a separate session as individuals,
      unobserved by other team members. After each of the sessions, the researchers measured their pain threshold by how long they could
      stand an inflated blood pressure cuff on the arm.
      More...from Science Daily at:
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/09/090927150348.htm

      4. Endurance training: understanding your slow twitch muscle fibres will boost performance:
      What are muscle fibres?
      Muscles – like the rest of the body – are made up of cells, and in muscles these cells form muscle fibres.
      Muscle fibres contract to create movement after receiving electrical signals from the brain – a chemical reaction then occurs in the
      muscle to create muscular activity. Depending on the sport or fitness activity, this chemical reaction can create long- or
      short-lasting energy (as in the case of a marathon run or a tennis serve respectively).
      The specifics of slow-twitch muscle fibre
      Slow-twitch muscle fibres are endurance fibres
      What makes a muscle slow or fast? This has a lot to do with the number of slow- and fast-twitch muscle fibres a muscle has, and the
      way these fibres are trained. The more slow-twitch fibres there are, the better the muscle will be at providing lasting energy – see
      table 1 for examples of the percentages of slow-twitch fibres in the shoulder of selected sports participants. Conversely, the more
      fast-twitch fibres, the better the muscle will be at generating speed and power. You can change the proportion of the fibres between
      fast and slow, with the prolonged right training (although research indicates that these changes are not permanent).
      Twitch rate
      Muscles twitch – basically this reflects their speed of contraction when they are stimulated. Slow-twitch fibres do not have a very
      fast twitch rate compared to fast-twitch fibres, because they are not designed for speed.
      More...from Peak Performance Online at:
      http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/endurance-training-understanding-your-slow-twitch-muscle-fibres-will-boost-performance-41374

      5. Mind Over Matter:
      No, really, it works!
      We’ve all heard the old adage about running being 90% mental. Turns out it might be true, and scientifically proven to boot. Tim
      Noakes, M.D., author of Lore of Running, has long argued that it is the brain that allows or limits endurance performance rather
      than the body. His “central governor” theory postulates that “the brain is there to look after you and to make sure whatever you do,
      you do it safely,” as he puts it.
      Noakes says that the brain holds us back from pushing past a certain point. “There’s a control mechanism to make sure that you reach
      the finish line not in a completely, utterly wilted state,” he claims. “You always have a little reserve.” Or as some would
      interpret this, you can always push a little harder.
      While past running research was preoccupied with the physiological side of endurance performance, a small group of researchers
      recently set their sights on examining the role of the brain. Not only does this research emphasize the idea of mind over matter, it
      also demonstrates that the brain can be trained to allow the body to physically handle more. After considering the research, we went
      in search of examples of competitive runners who have figured out ways to overcome the limits our brains put on our bodies. They
      offer sound advice on methods to coach your mind, not just your muscles.
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=17712

      6. Moderate exercise may lower prostate cancer risk:
      Ready for another reason to exercise? Men who exercise at even moderate levels may have a lower risk of prostate cancer than
      sedentary men, a new study suggests.
      Exercise has been shown to have numerous health benefits, but studies have come to conflicting conclusions as to whether a lower
      risk of prostate cancer is one of them.
      In this latest study, researchers found that among 190 men who underwent biopsies to detect possible prostate cancer, those who
      regularly exercised were less likely to be diagnosed with the disease.
      Men who exercised moderately -- the equivalent of three or more hours of brisk walking per week -- were two-thirds less likely than
      their sedentary counterparts to have prostate cancer.
      What's more, among men who did have cancer, those who reported as little as one hour of walking per week were less likely to have
      aggressive, faster-growing cancer.
      More...from Reuters at:
      http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSTRE58S5CL20090929

      7. Making Weight For a Race:
      It may not be the ideal situation, but it's happened to just about every triathlete, typically about 3-5 weeks before your big race.
      You step on the scale and...you're heavy.
      Really heavy.
      You panic. You're stuck between a rock and a hard place, because you can't just go on a very low calorie diet combined with even
      more training. Your race plan would suffer, you'd lose lean muscle, and you likely would get sick from a weakened immune system and
      poor recovery.
      So what do you do?
      In the fitness world, where I spend quite a bit of time working with people who want to "lose fat but not lose muscle", there are
      little tricks that I incorporate into the weekly routine that will equal significant gains in weight loss and fat burning, without
      sacrificing lean muscle mass. Over years of training hundreds of clients and athletes, I've discovered 3 of these key fat burning
      techniques that achieve the best results.
      More...from TriFuel.com at:
      http://www.trifuel.com/training/health-nutrition/making-weight-for-a-race

      8. How Do Marathons Affect Your Heart?
      Last year the European Heart Journal published a study that continues to prompt discussion among researchers who work with
      marathoner runners and those, many of them the same researchers, who run marathons. In the study, German scientists scanned the
      hearts of 108 experienced, male distance runners in their fifties, sixties and seventies.
      The runners had completed a minimum of five marathons in the prior three years. By standard measures, the group’s risk for heart
      problems was low. But when the researchers studied the runners’ scan results, they found that more than a third of the men showed
      evidence of significant calcification or plaque build-up in their heart arteries. Several also had scarring of some of the tissue in
      their hearts. “In our study,” the researchers concluded dryly, “regular marathon running seems not to protect runners” from coronary
      artery disease. “In fact,” they continued, “we even cannot exclude the possibility that exercise to this degree has deleterious
      effects on coronary arteries.”
      Is it possible that running a marathon could be unwise or insalubrious? Is there a chance that something about the distance and
      exertion, at least in some people, harms the cardiac muscle?
      A growing body of science, much of it released this year, is attempting to bring some clarity to the issue. In a representative
      study published in January, doctors in Australia found that 32 percent of the runners they tested after the Perth Marathon had
      elevated levels of cardiac troponin, a substance in the blood that usually suggests cardiac injury. Although some previous studies
      had intimated that inexperienced or poorly trained runners were most likely to experience elevated troponin, here the elevation was
      unrelated to how fast or slow racers ran, or how much training they had done. Another experiment, published in July, produced
      similar results among 78 male marathoners. More than half of the racers wound up with elevated troponin and other cardiac-damage
      markers. There was no correlation between the men’s pace or training and their troponin levels.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/30/phys-ed-how-do-marathons-affect-your-heart/

      9. Training the Lydiard Way:
      A podcast with Olympic marathon medalist Lorraine Moller
      Olympic marathon medalist Lorraine Moller explains some of the fundamentals of Arthur Lydiard's seminal and highly influential
      training system. (13:20)
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=17721

      10. Credit Crunch: Pacing in a Race:
      By Jason Gootman and Will Kirousis
      It’s mile 5 in your big half-Ironman. You had a real good swim and your best bike split ever by 15 minutes! You’re working hard, but
      you think you can keep the pace up. Then you head up a steep hill, around a corner, and bam — your pace slows to 8 minutes per mile…
      8:35… 9:15... You’re cramping up bad, your stomach feels lousy, you’re walking now — it’s not a pretty finish. You missed your PR by
      five minutes, when it seemed earlier that you had it in the bag. What happened? You took out a loan you couldn’t pay back and there
      was no bailout for you!
      You have a certain amount of energy you can expend in a race. The sound approach is to parcel out this energy evenly from start to
      finish, paying your bills with cash (energy) you have on hand, one mile at a time as they come. Do so, and you’ll have a good day.
      Disobey this contract with your body and you’ll eventually pay the penalty — you’ll slow down considerably, and it won’t feel good!
      There are three ways you can approach pacing a race: even splits, positive splits, and negative splits. To illustrate these
      approaches, let’s consider a 5-mile run and a runner trained to run 8:00 per mile.
      More...from USAT at:
      http://usatriathlon.org/content/index/7390

      11. Long day at the office can kill will to exercise, diet: study:
      If you find yourself lacking the motivation swim laps at the pool after an especially stressful day at the office, you're not alone,
      say researchers at McMaster University in Hamilton.
      Steven Bray, an associate professor of kinesiology, has co-written a study that's found humans only have a certain amount of
      willpower stored at any one time. That willpower, he says, can be burned up either mentally or physically.
      ``Sometimes, you're trying to meet a deadline. And when you finally finish, you feel physically exhausted, even if you just sat at
      your desk,'' Bray told Canwest News Service.
      His report was published recently in the journal Psychology & Health. It has implications for those trying to maintain a strict
      exercise regimen, especially if they try to combine it with stressful office jobs.
      More...from Canada.com at:
      http://www.canada.com/Long+office+kill+will+exercise+diet+study/2039478/story.html

      ``It gets at the idea that the willpower that we have, or that self-control that we have, all hinge on one central resource,'' he
      said - namely, the brain.
      12. 6 Solutions to Midrun Mishaps:
      You're in the middle of an important training run or race when a cramp, blister, or slippery banana peel strikes. Here's how to run
      around these setbacks.
      We're all prone to injuries, but which ones? Here's how to sidestep your aches and pains.
      Oh No! Muscle Cramp
      Recovery Plan: Stop running and apply pressure to the muscle. Press firmly for 15 seconds — don't massage. Then gently stretch the
      muscle. Repeat the pressure/stretch cycle until the cramp subsides. Walk at first, then slowly increase your pace.
      Oh No! Blister
      Recovery Plan: In a short run or race, keep going. Otherwise, it's best to deal with a blister before it becomes painful enough to
      throw oft your gait. Covering it with a Band-Aid or moleskin is ideal. But if an aid station or home is miles away, adjust your
      laces. Tightening them could stop heel slippage (a common cause of blisters); loosening them could take pressure off a hot spot.
      Oh No! Side Stitch
      Recovery Plan: Notice which foot is striking the ground when you inhale and exhale. Then switch the pattern. So if you were leading
      with your right foot, inhale when the left foot steps. If that doesn't help, stop running and reach both arms above your head. Bend
      at the waist, leaning to the side opposite the stitch.
      More...from Active.com at:
      http://tinyurl.com/ylo7272

      13. New Moms - Exercise Enhances Health During Breastfeeding:
      INDIANAPOLIS – New mothers who are breastfeeding their babies may need more aerobic and resistance exercise in order to combat
      temporary bone loss caused by calcium depletion, says a recently published study from the American College of Sports Medicine.
      Cheryl Lovelady, Ph.D., and her research team measured bone mineral density in 20 women four to 20 weeks postpartum and found that
      those who didn’t exercise lost around 7 percent of their lower-spine bone density in that time period.
      “During lactation, women transfer around 200 milligrams of calcium per day from their own stores to their breast milk,” Lovelady
      said. “Calcium is critically linked to bone density and health, and this depletion can result in loss of bone mineral density. When
      mothers wean their infants, bone mineral density usually returns to normal levels. We proposed that weight-bearing exercise would
      minimize bone losses during lactation and decrease the risk of osteoporosis later in life.”
      Exercise – especially strength training – can slow bone loss during lactation, the study found. Women who combined strength training
      and aerobic exercise three days a week kept their lower-spine bone mineral density loss to just 4.8 percent – highly preferable to
      the 7-percent loss in the non-exercising group.
      In addition, regular weight-bearing exercise has an added benefit for moms trying to shed post-pregnancy weight: the regular
      exercisers in the study significantly improved their body composition compared to the non-exercisers, lowering their body fat
      percentage and increasing lean mass, even without dietary intervention. Exercisers increased their one-repetition maximal strength
      anywhere from 31 to 221 percent.
      “Women in our study found themselves overall healthier and stronger after completing the post-partum exercise program, which lasted
      just 16 weeks,” Lovelady said. “Moreover, implementing this exercise into daily life can help entire families get active and improve
      their overall health.”
      More guidelines for exercise during pregnancy and postpartum can be found in the ACSM Roundtable Consensus Statement "Role of
      Physical Activity on Pregnancy and Postpartum."
      (http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Abstract/2006/05000/Impact_of_Physical_Activity_during_Pregnancy_and.26.aspx)

      14. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine:
      * Preventing Loss of Muscle Strength with Aging
      As you age, you lose muscle size and strength much faster than you lose endurance or coordination. Researchers at the University of
      Nottingham in England show that a major cause of loss of muscle is that aging prevents muscles from responding to insulin and that
      exercising helps to slow this loss of muscle size and strength (The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, September 2009).
      Insulin drives amino acids into muscles to help them recover from exercise and maintain their size. Researchers traced radioactive
      amino acids and showed that insulin drives the amino acids into muscles much more effectively in 25-year-olds than in 60-year-olds.
      They also showed that the blood flow in younger people's legs is much greater and supplies far more nutrients and hormones. However,
      three exercise sessions per week over 20 weeks markedly increased blood flow in the legs of the older subjects, enough to reverse
      muscle wasting.
      People of all ages can use this information to help themselves become stronger. Athletes in all sports train by stressing and
      recovering. They take a hard workout, damage their muscles, feel sore the next morning, and then take easy workouts until the
      muscles heal and the soreness goes away. The athlete who can recover the fastest can do the most intense workouts and gain the most
      strength.
      Eating a high carbohydrate-high protein meal within half an hour after finishing a workout raises insulin levels, increases amino
      acid absorption into muscle and hastens recovery (Journal of Applied Physiology, May 2009). The carbohydrates cause a high rise in
      blood sugar that causes the pancreas to release insulin. Insulin drives the protein building blocks (amino acids) in the meal into
      muscle cells to hasten healing from intense workouts. Muscles are extraordinarily sensitive to insulin during exercise and for up to
      a half hour after finishing exercise, so the fastest way to recover is to eat protein- and carbohydrate-rich foods during the last
      part of your workout or within half an hour after you finish.
      Here's how Diana and I (ages 67 and 74) use this information on insulin sensitivity. We ride hard and fast for about 20 miles on
      Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. On our recovery days, we ride slowly for one to three hours. Mid-day we go to a buffet restaurant
      and eat a large meal with fish, shrimp, vegetables and other sources of protein and carbohydrates. After eating, we ride slowly for
      one or two more hours. Riding before we eat makes our muscles very sensitive to insulin. This causes insulin to drive amino acids
      rapidly into our muscles and help them recover faster. Riding after we eat helps us to avoid a high rise in blood sugar that damages
      cells. You can use either plant or animal sources of protein; both contain all of the essential amino acids necessary for cell
      growth.
      * Osteoarthritis: Treat with Exercise:
      A review article from the University of British Columbia in Vancouver shows that exercise does not increase the rate of knee damage
      in people with osteoarthritis, and usually reduces knee pain and disability (Canadian Family Physician, September 2009).
      If you develop pain in your knee that was not caused by an accident or trauma, your doctor will usually check you for known causes
      of joint damage. If he finds no cause, he will tell you that you have osteoarthritis, which means that he doesn't know why your knee
      hurts. Most people with osteoarthritis (not associated with trauma) are overweight, do not exercise, and/or have weak muscles that
      support knee movements.
      Osteoarthritis causes a higher incidence of disability than any other chronic condition. It makes exercise difficult, and not
      exercising increases risk for heart attacks. One in three North Americans over 60 have X ray evidence of osteoarthritis.
      People with osteoarthritis should avoid contact sports, but exercise is more effective than any medication to treat this condition.
      The best activities include swimming and other water- based exercises, stationary cycling or cycling on the road, and muscle
      strengthening exercises using Nautilus machines or similar equipment at a gym. People with knee osteoarthritis should avoid sports
      that involve sudden shocks to the knee, such as when the foot hits the ground during running. Inactivity and overweight increase
      your chances of further knee damage and often lead to a joint replacement.
      * Dear Dr. Mirkin: You recommend taking extra carbohydrates to increase endurance during prolonged exercise; won't this raise my
      triglycerides, increasing heart attack risk?
      Usually not. Just walking briskly for 30 minutes can prevent a rise in triglycerides when you increase intake of carbohydrates such
      as sugar (The British Journal of Nutrition, June 2009).
      High triglycerides are usually associated with increased intake of carbohydrates, particularly sugar; and are a sign of increased
      risk for both heart attacks and diabetes. When you exercise for more than a couple hours, fatigue is caused by a loss of glycogen,
      sugar stored in muscles. To keep sugar in muscles, you have to take in large amounts of sugar and other carbohydrate sources of
      sugar while you exercise. If you do that when you are not exercising, blood sugar levels rise and the liver converts that sugar
      fairly rapidly to triglycerides. However, when you exercise, contracting muscles pull the sugar so rapidly from muscles that blood
      sugar and the resulting triglycerides levels do not rise high (Circulation, November 2000). This effect lasts maximally during
      exercise and for a half hour after you stop, gradually declining until it disappears after about 17 hours.
      ** New Rules for Sunscreens
      If you use sunscreens, be sure to reapply them frequently. Many sunscreens contain the filters octylmethoxycinnamate,
      benzophenone-3 or octocrylene, which reflect ultra violet rays away from your skin to protect it only when they are on the surface
      of the skin. However, when these sunscreens are absorbed and the skin is not re-coated, they increase skin production of harmful
      oxidants that can cause skin aging and cancer (Free Radical Biology & Medicine, September 2009). Reapplying the sun screen so some
      remains on the skin's surface can prevent this damage.
      * Before you go out in the sun, apply sunscreens to the areas with the most exposure to sunlight over your lifetime: the top of
      your ears, your face, the back of your neck, and your arms and hands. It is the cumulative exposure to UV light that increases skin
      cancer and aging.
      * To meet your daily vitamin D requirements from sunlight, expose your legs or other areas of your body that have received little
      cumulative sun exposure over your lifetime. Take care to avoid sunburn.
      * Reapply sunscreens every hour or two, particularly when you are swimming or sweating.
      * Some sunscreens contain stronger UVA filters (avobenzone, mexoryl, titanium dioxide or zinc) that are less likely to be absorbed
      into the skin. You do not need to reapply these if they leave a visible white paste on your skin. Check the list of ingredients.
      Information on more than 1000 sunscreen products at:
      http://www.drmirkin.com/morehealth/1224.html
      ** Dear Dr. Mirkin: What can I do to prevent muscle cramps?
      Most older textbooks explain that muscle cramps are caused by lack of water (dehydration) and lack of salt. However, studies on
      endurance athletes show that athletes who cramp do not have less body water or sodium than those who do not cramp (British Journal
      of Sports Medicine, June 2009). So the current explanation for muscle cramps in conditioned athletes is that prolonged, intense
      exercise damages muscles, which can cause sustained contractions or cramps.
      Cramps may occur as a side effect of drugs used to treat high cholesterol, high blood pressure or diabetes. Oral contraceptives,
      various other drugs or alcohol can also cause
      muscle cramps. If you suffer from recurrent muscle cramps that cannot be explained, check with your doctor. Possible causes include
      pinched nerves, Parkinson's disease, hypothyroidism, diabetes, narrowed arteries, low blood mineral levels, or metabolic diseases
      that cause muscle damage. However, these diseases are rarely the cause of cramps in athletes.
      Cramps can often be prevented by slowing down when a muscle starts to feel tight. However, athletes usually are not willing to do
      this during competition or hard training, so they
      will continue to suffer from occasional cramps and work them out as they occur. You can help to prevent cramps with a training
      program that includes both hard days and recovery days. We do this by cycling at 18-20 mph pace on Tuesdays, Thursdays and
      Saturdays and 10-12 mph pace on the other four days.
      ** Calories Burned in Running vs Cycling
      Which burns more calories, running or cycling? The standard comparison is that one mile of running equals four miles of cycling, but
      that's lousy science. Although running requires the same amount of energy per mile at any speed (110 calories per mile), riding is
      affected by wind resistance so the faster you ride, the more energy you use. So you have to compare running and cycling at different
      cycling speeds.
      Dr. Edward Coyle of The University of Texas in Austin determined average values of oxygen consumption by cyclists to develop a table
      to estimate the approximate caloric equivalence between running and cycling. He found that if you ride 20 miles at 15 mph, you burn
      620 calories (20 miles X 31 calories per mile = 620 calories). Take the 620 calories and divide them by 110 calories per mile for
      running and you get 5.63 miles to burn the same number of calories. So riding a bicycle 20 miles at 15 miles per hour is equal to
      running 5.6 miles at any speed.
      Dr. Coyle made the calculations easy by providing conversion factors for different riding speeds: 10MPH=4.2, 15MPH=3.5, 20MPH=2.9,
      25MPH=2.3, and 30MPH=1.9. Divide the number of miles ridden by the conversion factor for your riding speed to tell you the
      equivalent miles of running at any speed. Thus, for 20 miles ridden at 10MPH, divide 20 miles by 4.2 which tells you that your ride
      is equivalent to 4.8 miles of running. This formula is for an average-size adult (approximately 155 pounds). A larger cyclist would
      divide by a slightly higher number; a smaller cyclist, by a slightly lower one. Wind and hills are not accounted for in the table;
      nor is drafting (riding behind another cyclist), which can reduce your energy expenditure by up to one-third.
      From Dr. Mirkin's e_zine at:
      http://www.drmirkin.com

      15. Digest Briefs
      ** This Week in Running:
      10 Years Ago- Tegla Loroupe (KEN) lowered her own WR in the marathon by four seconds at Berlin
      (GER), clocking in at 2:20:43. Marleen Renders (BEL) was 2nd in 2:23:58 while
      Svetlana Zakharova (RUS) was 3rd in 2:27:08. The men's race went to Josephat Kiprono
      (KEN) in 2:06:44 with Takayuki Inubushi (JPN) and Samson Kandie (KEN) rounding out
      the top three with 2:06:57 and 2:08:31 respectively. Loroupe got a then record
      US$124,630 purse for her efforts.
      20 Years Ago- Xiu-ting Wang (CHN) won the IAAF World Road Championships 15K, held in Rio de
      Janeiro BRA with a 49:34. Compatriot Huan-di Zhong took the silver medal in 49:44
      while Aurora Cunha (POR) took the bronze medal in 50:06. This championship continued
      for women only thru 1991, after which, it was incorporated into the present IAAF
      World Road Championships (half marathon) for both men and women.
      30 Years Ago- Ingo Sensburg won the 6th edition of the Berlin (GER) Marathon in 2:21:09.
      Wilfried Jackisch (GER) was 2nd in 2:24:53. Jutta vonHaase (GER) won the women's
      race in 3:07:06.6.
      40 Years Ago- Tracy Smith (USA) won a 5000m in Tokyo JPN with a 13:40.2. Rex Maddaford (NZL)
      was 2nd in 13:45.8 and John Coyle (AUS) was 3rd in 13:48.0. Ken Moore (USA) won
      the next day's 10,000m in 29:01.2.
      50 Years Ago- Simo Saloranta (FIN) won the 5000m at the three-nations meet (FIN, ITA, and West
      Germany) over Ludwig Müller (GER), 14:24.6 to 14:33.8.
      60 Years Ago- Emil Zatopek (CZE) clocked 30:03.0 for a 10,000m in Prague CZE.
      From The Analytical Distance Runner, the newsletter for the Association of Road Racing Statisticians with a focus on races, 3000m
      and longer, including road, track, and cross-country events. The ARRS has a website at http://www.arrs.net.
      ** Training Tip: Race Reflection
      It's likely that your race season has either finished or is in the process of winding down. You've probably done the goal race(s)
      you were training for all year long. Now is the time to analyze what went right and what went wrong (if you haven't already done
      so). Now is the time to reflect on your 2009 season of racing.
      Take time to think about your "A" races this season. Did they turn out as you had hoped and planned for? If they did, great! Write
      down everything you did, and hold onto it! You've got a race plan that works. Keep using it!
      If, however, race day didn't turn out quite the way you wanted it to, take some time to examine why:
      What was it in training that kept you from achieving that goal?
      What was it during race day that kept you from achieving that goal?
      What would you change if you were to go back ten months and start training for the same goal all over again?
      Changes to be made might be rather minor:
      ~ nutritional (ie, take an extra bottle of fluid on the bike portion of the race)
      ~ mental (ie, adopt a more positive mind set come race day)
      ~ technical (ie, learn to change a flat tire)
      Or, changes to be made might be quite comprehensive and thus would require a major overhaul of your training/racing plan:
      ~ training (I was completely over-or-under-trained going into my race)
      ~ health (I was battling ITB syndrome for three months going into my race)
      ~ non training related stress (unexpected new job, a move, family stress, etc)
      Analyze your training and racing, modify your training and racing if need be, and improve your training and racing. Analyze, modify,
      improve. Year after year.
      From the Endurance Lab Newsletter at:
      http://endurancelab.ca

      THIS WEEK'S FEATURED EVENTS:
      *Please verify event dates with the event websites available from our FrontPage (www.runnersweb.com)

      October 4, 2009:
      Army Ten-Miler - Washington, DC

      Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon - Minneapolis, MN
      USA Women's & USA Masters Marathon and USA Men's 10 Mile Champs

      Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon - Milwaukee, WI

      Portland Marathon - Portland, OR

      Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon - San Jose, CA

      Run for the Cure - Ottawa, ON

      June 19, 2010
      Emilie's Run
      The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women
      http://www.emiliesrun.com

      mailto:webmaster@... to notify us of the problem. To update your Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the

      Ken

      Ken Parker
      www.RunnersWeb.com
      mailto:kparker@...
      613-746-4053
      http://www.OACRacingTeam.com
      http://www.EmiliesRun.com

      RUNNER'S WEB AFFILIATE PROGRAMS:
      All revenue from advertisers and affiliate programs goes into the support of running and triathlon through sponsorship of events,
      teams, clinics and fund raising programs for Canada's Olympic athletes.

      Puma
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000005110141&pubid=21000000000028567

      Champion
      http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=h1QosBYBFXw&offerid=113858.10000144&type=1&subid=0

      Free Ground Shipping on Orders of $175 or More at Patagonia.com
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000012303508&pubid=21000000000028567

      Your very own personal trainer at a fraction of the cost
      http://www.cartville.com/app/?af=473063

      Check out TotalWellness's mp3 Personal Training Program - only 5% the Cost of Regular Personal Training!
      http://www.totalwellnessconsulting.ca/fitter_u_totalwellness.htm

      Buy Paula Radcliffe's book, My Story - So Far, from Amazon UK at:
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/074325242X/runnersweb-21

      Instant Stretching Routines
      Design unlimited stretching routines today, starting from scratch, in under 60 seconds!
      http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/cmd.php?af=245575&u=http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/newsletter.php

      ShoeWallet.com has set out on a mission to enable people to easily carry ID and medical information at all times. Basically, anyone
      who is out on the roads or trails needs a convenient place to carry this vital information.
      http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?joggerscompanion+pXgxpm+index.html+

      SportsShoes in the UK
      http://www.sportsshoes.com/index.php?id=149

      If you have an accident while running or cycling, do you want your family to be contacted? Do you want to receive immediate and
      proper medical treatment?
      If so, make this cool item part of your gear -- for safety and peace of mind. Road ID has created 4 awesome ways for athletes to
      wear ID: the SHOE, the WRIST, the ANKLE, and the NECK. Get your RoadID at:
      http://www.roadid.com/?referrer=50

      The Stretching Handbook:
      http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/cmd.php?af=245575&u=http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/newsletter.php
      The Stretching Video in a DVD version. With the DVD version you're able to use the convenient menu facility to:
      * Go directly to a specific stretch;
      * View only stretches for a specific muscle group;
      * Pause each stretch to get a good look at how it is performed;
      * View only the introduction and rules for safe stretching; or
      * Play the entire video from start to finish.

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS:
      This newsletter has been composed using Outlook set to "Text" format. The Digest is sent via an email list at
      http://groups.yahoo.com.
      If you experience any delays in receiving your copy of the Digest, please advise us at:
      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for viruses.
      Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor (me) prior to being released to the group. If you have any questions regarding
      the options available for receiving this digest,
      mailto:Webmaster@...
      *NOTE*
      **[ Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two lines. If you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you paste
      the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or another appropriate suffix ].
      Note: An increasing number of media sites require free registration. If you wish to sign up for free access to sources for our
      articles without using your main email address we suggest the use of a mail alias program such as http://www.emailias.com.

      *** END OF RUNNER'S AND TRIATHLETE'S WEB DIGEST...***

      Ken Parker
      www.RunnersWeb.com
      mailto:kparker@...
      613-746-4053