Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest - September 4, 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2009
      A FREE WEEKLY E-ZINE OF MULTISPORT RELATED ARTICLES. The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is a weekly e-zine dealing with the
      sports of running and triathlon and general fitness and health issues. The opinions expressed in the articles referenced by the
      Digest are the opinions of the writers and not necessarily those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at
      http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out our daily news, features, polls, trivia, bulletin
      boards and more. General questions should be posted to one of our forums available from our FrontPage.

      1. Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women - Canada's Fastest Women's 5K
      Emilie's Run is over for another year. Tara Quinn-Smith set a new course record of 16:15.7 beating the 16:29 set by Nicole Stevenson
      in 1996. 364 women completed the race with 33 women running under 20:00
      The 2010 race will be run on June 19th.
      For more on the race visit the website at:
      http://www.emiliesrun.com.

      3. Toronto Waterfront Marathon, September 27, 2009
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/STWM_Transporter.html

      4. Goodlife Fitness Toronto Marathon - October 18, 2009
      Register before the end of this month for the Marathon, Half Marathon, or 5k and save $$. Fees increase March 1st!
      http://www.torontomarathon.com/

      5. Training Peaks
      The Runner's Web has partnered with Training Peaks to provide online coaching from experts such as Hal Higdon, Joel Friel and Matt
      Fitzgerald. Sign up at:
      https://home.trainingpeaks.com/create-account-personal-edition.aspx?af=RunnersWeb

      6. January 4, 2008: Goodlife Fitness has come on board as a sponsor of Emilie's Run GoodLife Fitness - Coed or Women's Only Visit
      www.GoodLifeFitness.com today to receive 3 FREE Visits! Your 3 FREE visits include: . A Visual Fitness Planner Consultation . Fit
      Fix Orientation to learn how to exercise safely and effectively . Access to all cardio and strength-training equipment . Access to
      all of our world-class Group EXercise classes . A copy of Living the Good Life audio CD Get started today! Visit
      www.GoodLifeFitness.com Limited time offer.

      7. iRun Magazine
      More than a million Canadians are runners, making it this country's most popular recreational and fitness activity. Canadians run
      for exercise and we run to raise money for important causes. We run alone and in groups. And every year, hundreds of thousands of us
      participate in organized races, from fun runs to marathons, which are growing steadily.
      Until now, Canadian runners haven't had our own running magazine. But now, there's iRun, providing a uniquely Canadian perspective
      on the activity and the sport. Published six times a year, iRun educates, informs and inspires Canadian runners.
      The Team
      Mark Sutcliffe, Publisher and Editor
      Mark has more than 20 years of experience in the Canadian media business. An avid runner, he has completed five marathons and 10
      half-marathons. He writes a popular weekly column on running in the Ottawa Citizen and co-hosts The Running Show every week on The
      Team 1200 radio. Mark is the former Executive Editor of the Ottawa Citizen and has also launched several publications, including the
      Ottawa Business Journal, now in its second decade, and the Kitchissippi Times, a successful community newspaper in Ottawa. His
      writing has appeared across the country in daily newspapers, and magazines like Macleans and Canadian Business.
      Ray Zahab, Contributing Editor
      Ray Zahab is Canada's most renowned ultramarathon runner. A former pack-a-day smoker, Ray transformed his life by becoming a
      successful long-distance runner, winning some of the world's most challenging foot races. Beginning in November 2006, Ray and two
      other runners ran across the Sahara Desert in 111 days, averaging 70 kilometres per day without a single day's rest. Ray is an
      accomplished public speaker, writes regularly about running and coaches athletes striving to achieve their own goals.
      Distribution
      iRun is Canada's highest-circulation and most popular running magazine. With a total distribution of 50,000 and more than 9,000
      subscribers, iRun is leading the market in the rapidly growing and highly desirable demographic of Canadian runners.
      http://www.irun.ca/

      9. Mi-Sport - The Ultimate Sports MP3 Player Introducing the world's first and only waterproof and wireless sports mp3 player.
      These Mi-SPORT mp3 headphones have a 1GB memory built into a cool neckband design. At last no wire tangle and no earbuds to fall
      out. The patented design makes this waterproof/sweatproof mp3 player great for running, cycling and gym work. The player however is
      more than splash proof! It can be completely submerged with no harm to it making it perfect for swimming, kayaking, and water
      skiing. Now incorporating the latest 3D music quality with it's adapted waterproof speaker. Relax to music in the bath, or push out
      that training session with no fear of losing your player or tangling the wires. Circuit training is so much easier with your own
      music. Enjoy the waves wire-free. This is the only waterproof pair of classic headphones with a built in mp3 player in the world.
      The stylish looking headphones play the usual MP3, WMA and WAV formats and are compatible with Windows98/98SE/2000/XP and Apple MAC.
      Depending on track length, the headphones hold well over 14 hours worth of music and the rechargeable battery life is about 8 hours.
      Nick Matthew, the 2006 British Open squash champion now uses the player to train with and Mi-SPORT are endeavouring to encourage
      more athletes to enjoy the benefits of training to wire-free music, podcasts or coaching aids. Inspiration and freedom at last, for
      athletes and exercise enthusiasts everywhere.
      Check it out at: http://www.mi-sportmp3.com/

      10. ING Philadelphia Distance Run:
      The Half-Marathon race will be run on September 20, 2009.
      http://www.philadelphia.competitor.com

      ASSOCIATIONS:
      The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional Organization for the Running Industry.
      http://www.runningusa.org/

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS: Check the "New Subscribers' note at the bottom of the newsletter

      Add the Runner's Web News feed to your site through a simple JavaScript. Check out OnTri.com's implementation at:
      http://www.ontri.com/runnersweb.html
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is now available

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet Explorer from the link on our FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com . We have added a button for Lauren Groves, Triathlete.

      TWITTER
      Follow us on Twitter at:
      http://twitter.com/runnersweb

      FACEBOOK
      I've created a Runner's Web Group on Facebook. To join the Runner's Web Facebook group, if you are not a member of Facebook, you

      If anyone is looking for a web mail provider, you might wish to consider Google's GMail. You can now sign up for free Gmail at
      Google WITHOUT AN INVITATION at: www.gmail.com

      Offer: Enjoy Free Shipping on your purchase of $75 or more when you enter PLAY2WIN at checkout.
      Code: PLAY2WIN
      End Date: September 8, 2009
      Restrictions: Enter promo code PLAY2WIN at checkout. Not valid on NIKEiD or Gift Cards (Gift Cards always ship free). For discount
      to apply the minimum merchandise total must be $75.00 after any other discounts are taken and before shipping, handling and taxes
      are added. Valid for standard ground shipping to one destination only. Order usually arrives in 2-9 business days. Not transferable
      and not redeemable for cash or for credit towards previous purchases. Valid at NikeStore.com, Swoosh.com, or via telephone only.
      Offer expires September 8, 2009 at 11:59 p.m. PST.
      Text Link: http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000028735805&pubid=21000000000210940

      Shop Nike:
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000028587454

      The Runner's Web has partnered with Training Peaks to provide online coaching from experts such as Hal Higdon, Joel Friel and Matt
      Fitzgerald. Sign up at:
      https://home.trainingpeaks.com/create-account-personal-edition.aspx?af=RunnersWeb

      Event directors, add your event to our Event Calendar at:
      http://runnersweb.mhsoftware.com/

      Watch live and webcast of Track and Field and Road races on Universal Sports
      Sign up at:
      http://www.universalsports.com//SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23000&KEY=&SPID=13055&SPSID=105551

      mailto:webmaster@... or leave your comments in one of our Forums at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/forum.html or from our FrontPage.

      We have 2,580 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe at:

      ROAD RUNNER SPORTS
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/Mobile_RRS.html

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey. Sheila is one of Ottawa's top multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C
      Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public Health and works in the field of nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the
      University of California, San Diego. Her column index is available at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/SK_index.html

      * Peak Running Performance Peak Running Is The Nation's Most Advanced Running Newsletter. Rated as the #1 Running Publication by
      Road Runner Sports (Worlds Largest Running Store) , Peak Running caters to the serious / dedicated runner. Delivering world class
      running advice are some of running's most recognizable athletes including Dr. Joe Vigil (US Olympic Coach), Scott Tinley (2 Time
      Ironman Champ) Steve Scott (3 Time Olympian) and many more. This bi-monthly newsletter has been around for over 13 years, and in the
      past two it has been awarded the "Golden Shoe Award" in recognition of it's outstanding achievements.

      * Running Research News: RRN's free, weekly, training update provides subscribers with the most-current, practical, scientifically
      based information about training, sports nutrition, injury prevention, and injury rehabilitation. The purpose of this weekly e-zine
      is to improve subscribers' training quality and to help them train in an injury-free manner. Running Research News also publishes a
      complete, 12-page, electronic newsletter 10 times a year (one-year subscriptions are $35); to learn more about Running Research
      News, please see the Online Article Index and "About Running Research News" sections below or go to RRNews.com. Check out the
      article index at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RRN_index.html

      community. We have NO personal postings this week.

      THIS WEEK'S DIGEST ARTICLE INDEX:

      1. The Mental Side of Running
      2. The Science of Carbohydrate Loading
      3. Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin
      4. Wiggling Their Toes at the Shoe Giants
      5. The Best Training After Your vVo2Max Test
      6. Dog Days Training
      Using late summer to your fall advantage.
      7. Running skirts: love them or hate them?
      8. What To Do When It All Goes Wrong
      How To Cope With Race Day Emergencies.
      9. The PH of foods and their effect on performance
      10. VO2max - The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com
      11. The Injury Shuffle
      12. If you run the numbers, it's a good time
      Commentator and economist Justin Wolfers says he's analyzed the costs of his running hobby and, for him, it makes complete economic
      sense.
      13. Why muscle sugar, D-ribose is taken by athletes & autoimmune patients to restore energy
      14. Six Common Running Injuries to Avoid

      "How long a warm-up do you do before a race?"

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage ( http://www.runnersweb.com) as well as checking the results of previous polls.

      LAST WEEK'S POLL RESULTS:
      "Usain Bolt has said that he would like to try the long jump. If he does, how will he do?"
      Answers Percent Votes
      1 World record 64%
      2 World class 36%
      3 Average 0%
      4 Mediocre 0%

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE MONTH: Tirunesh Dibaba
      "Hi there! My name is Tirunesh Dibaba and welcome to my official website.
      For those of you who don't know me, I am the double Olympic 5000m and 10000m champion; four-time world champion over the 5000m and
      10000m; and a world record holder over the indoor and outdoor 5000m. In 2003, I was the youngest ever individual gold medalist at a
      world championship and also a three-time world cross country champion.
      I hope this website gives you, my loyal fan, the chance to know more about me and my career. For the next two weeks, we will also
      have a special section featuring news and information about my wedding to Sileshi Sihine. Feel free to browse across all sections
      and don't forget to post a comment on my guestbook."
      Visit the site at:
      http://tiruneshdibaba.net/

      BOOK/VIDEO/MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Second Wind
      The Rise of the Ageless Athlete
      Second Wind: The Rise of the Ageless Athlete is an inspiring account of a growing subculture of Americans who are challenging the
      notion of what it means to grow old. These baby boomers can hardly be considered old, yet this huge group is rewriting the rules of
      aging. These stories of trials and perseverance will motivate you to achieve your best.
      For more information or to buy the book visit:
      http://www.humankinetics.com/products/showproduct.cfm?associate=880&isbn=9780736074919
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html and http://www.runnersweb.com/running/amazon.html

      THIS WEEK'S FEATURES:

      1. The Mental Side of Running:
      Breaking Down the Mental Marathon
      What are you thinking about when you run 26.2? Here are four strategies to keep your mental game tough.
      Getting Past the Wall on Race Day
      During a race as long as a marathon, everyone experiences high points and low points. Just knowing this is normal helps alleviate
      stress during the race. Follow these nine tips to avoid or break through that wall.
      Book Review: Brain Training for Runners
      Active Expert Matt Fitzgerald shows you how to shift to brain-centered training in his latest book.
      Ask the Experts: Mental Training
      Find out how to set and achieve goals for top race-day performance. Plus, learn how to stay focused during long training runs and
      calm those sleep-depriving nerves the night before the race.
      Relax Your Mind and Body
      When we swim, bike and run, we are continually moving between a state of relaxation and tension both physically and mentally. Learn
      how to maintain a relaxed and smooth look while competing.
      Want to Run Faster? Learn to Relax
      One of the keys to optimal running performance is relaxation. A relaxed mind produces a relaxed body, an efficient body and a faster
      body.
      Running the Mental Marathon
      To many, the hardest thing about running an Ironman marathon is that it is "just such a long time to concentrate." Learn how to
      prepare yourself mentally and emotionally for such a difficult, sustained effort.
      Bring Your Zen Mind On Your Next Run
      Get the most out of your workout and improve your running form by training your mind. ChiRunning offers some good tips on
      meditation.
      More...from Active.com at:
      http://tinyurl.com/ns33yh

      2. The Science of Carbohydrate Loading:
      A valid connection between hypoglycemia, fatigue and premature termination of exercise been firmly established and therefore
      carbohydrate loading is a proven form of boosting running endurance in prolonged events lasting more than two hours in duration.
      While there are various methods of carbo-loading, the process basically involves consuming large quantities of carbohydrate-rich
      food in order to saturate the body's carbohydrate stores. It is proposed that with these increased energy stores, the competitor
      will be able to avoid exercise-induced hypoglycemia and continue exercising longer than if this saturation process had not occurred.
      This article aims to further explain how to perform carbohydrate loading and the reasoning behind its practice.
      The human body is able to store carbohydrates for energy use in the liver and the muscles in the form of a substance known as
      glycogen. This carbohydrate store is basically human "starch" and is able to be quickly broken down to fuel the muscles during high
      intensity exercise (muscle glycogen) and to maintain blood glucose levels (liver glycogen). In the unloaded/non-carbohydrate
      saturated state, an untrained individual consuming an average diet (45% carbohydrate) is able to store approximately 100 grams (g)
      of glycogen in the liver, whereas muscle is able to store about 280g.
      More...from Marathon Training at:
      http://www.marathontraining.com/articles/art_39th.htm

      3. Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin
      Whether because exercise makes us hungry or because we want to reward ourselves, many people eat more - and eat more junk food, like
      doughnuts - after going to the gym.
      Could pushing people to exercise more actually be contributing to our obesity problem? In some respects, yes. Because exercise
      depletes not just the body's muscles but the brain's self-control "muscle" as well, many of us will feel greater entitlement to eat
      a bag of chips during that lazy time after we get back from the gym. This explains why exercise could make you heavier - or at least
      why even my wretched four hours of exercise a week aren't eliminating all my fat. It's likely that I am more sedentary during my
      nonexercise hours than I would be if I didn't exercise with such Puritan fury. If I exercised less, I might feel like walking more
      instead of hopping into a cab; I might have enough energy to shop for food, cook and then clean instead of ordering a satisfyingly
      greasy burrito.
      Closing the Energy Gap
      The problem ultimately is about not exercise itself but the way we've come to define it. Many obesity researchers now believe that
      very frequent, low-level physical activity - the kind humans did for tens of thousands of years before the leaf blower was invented
      - may actually work better for us than the occasional bouts of exercise you get as a gym rat. "You cannot sit still all day long and
      then have 30 minutes of exercise without producing stress on the muscles," says Hans-Rudolf Berthoud, a neurobiologist at LSU's
      Pennington Biomedical Research Center who has studied nutrition for 20 years. "The muscles will ache, and you may not want to move
      after. But to burn calories, the muscle movements don't have to be extreme. It would be better to distribute the movements
      throughout the day."
      More...from Time Magazine at:
      http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1914857-4,00.html

      4. Wiggling Their Toes at the Shoe Giants:
      TODD BYERS was among more than 20,000 people running the San Francisco Marathon last month. Dressed in shorts and a T-shirt, he
      might have blended in with the other runners, except for one glaring difference: he was barefoot.
      Even in anything-goes San Francisco, his lack of footwear prompted curious stares. His photo was snapped, and he heard one runner
      grumble, "I just don't want the guy without shoes to beat me."
      Mr. Byers, 46, a running coach and event manager from Long Beach, Calif., who clocked in at 4 hours 48 minutes, has run 75 marathons
      since 2004 in bare feet. "People are kind of weird about it," he shrugs.
      Maybe they shouldn't be. Recent research suggests that for all their high-tech features, modern running shoes may not actually do
      much to improve a runner's performance or prevent injuries. Some runners are convinced that they are better off with shoes that are
      little more than thin gloves for the feet - or with no shoes at all.
      Plenty of medical experts disagree with this notion. The result has been a raging debate in running circles, pitting a quirky band
      of barefoot runners and researchers against the running-shoe and sports-medicine establishments.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/30/business/30shoe.html

      5. The Best Training After Your vVo2Max Test:
      The six weeks after a vVO2max test are often the busiest time in a runner's life. Shocking that a simple six-minute exam could
      create such a productive frenzy, but the vVO2max effort can do everything - evaluate fitness, set up stunning workouts, and even
      establish goal pace for an important race.
      The test is straightforward. After a warm-up which fires up your nervous system, on a day when you are recovered and feeling great,
      run as far as you can on the track in just six minutes. Measure your distance covered by counting laps and eyeballing lengths from
      familiar track marks or using a hardware-store's measuring wheel (if you have a GPS device, simply run on any flat surface with your
      contraption in play). Cool down in either case, and you are ready for six remarkable weeks of training.
      Once you have your six-minute distance, it's easy to calculate vVO2max. Let's say that you run 1537 meters in six minutes, for
      example (bear in mind that the following math will work for any distance). 1537 divided by 360 seconds (the total time of the test
      in seconds) = 4.27 meters per second. That's your vVO2max.
      Now, 4.27 meters per second does not exactly produce much harmony when we are out for a run. Most of us wouldn't know whether we
      were hitting 4.27 meters per second during a session or not. Not good, since the goal of vVO2max workouts is to run precisely at
      vVO2max.
      More...from the Educated Runner at:
      http://www.educatedrunner.com/Blog/tabid/633/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/596/THE-BEST-TRAINING-AFTER-YOUR-VVO2MAX-TEST.aspx

      6. Dog Days Training:
      Using late summer to your fall advantage.
      Here's one thing we know about running, pretty much for sure: It's tough in the heat. When the weather gets hot, it's much better to
      go swimming, or drink a nice glass of iced tea, or if absolutely necessary, find a quiet air-conditioned room and take a nap. But to
      go for a run? Good luck.
      Of course, that doesn't stop you. In fact, by this part of the summer, you've been running in hot weather for weeks, if not months,
      and you're acclimated. That's good. The main adaptation that's taken place over the last several weeks, explains famed exercise
      physiologist David Martin, is an increased ability to retain water. By now, your body recognizes that it's sweating a great deal
      during runs and has correspondingly decreased the electrolyte concentration of your sweat and increased its ability to soak up more
      water between sessions. So now, compared to, say, Memorial Day, you're able to sweat more and cool yourself more efficiently.
      But also by now, no matter how acclimated you are, you might be a little run down. Day after day, week after week of being able to
      wring sweat from your shorts will do that for you, won't it? How are you supposed to be getting in great shape for the cooler temps
      of the fall racing season when you're dragging in late summer?
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=17487

      7. Running skirts: love them or hate them?
      The running skirt - the dreaded, yet desired running skirt ...
      I am well aware that many of my pitfalls I have encountered with my marathon training have been mental; the running skirt was no
      different. After almost a week of looking at the skirt, imagining myself in the running skirt, and personal debate - a skirt, to run
      in, really? I went for it.
      What did I have to lose? I have already made a huge deal about actually purchasing it - and the last thing I want is the "Oh, that
      girl is ALL talk" reputation following me around. I make some pretty elaborate statements, like, "Oh I'm going to run the Portland
      Marathon" and while I do appreciate the shock value, I also pride myself on the follow through factor that I consistently bring to
      the table.
      Anyways. The running skirt gets a solid 10 of 10 - you know, on a scale where 10 is the best. I took that little baby, which I've
      named Gabi, on a run up the always-getting-a-little-easier Mt. Tabor. I was running with a friend, and my first and biggest concern
      was whether my butt was hanging out or not, seriously. The poor, poor girl ... For the first mile it was, "Emily, go behind me now,
      are you sure my butt isn't hanging out." Same response every time, "Stop it, no, your butt is fine."
      More...from Oregon Live at:
      http://blog.oregonlive.com/runoregon/2009/08/running_skirts_love_them_or_ha.html

      8. What To Do When It All Goes Wrong:
      How To Cope With Race Day Emergencies.
      Few races push competitors to their physical, mental and spiritual limits like the Ironman Triathlon World Championships in Hawaii.
      The geography, the duration of the race, the environmental conditions and the sheer number of participants make this annual event
      the ultimate goal for many athletes. With all the effort that has been put into earning a spot in Kona, no one wants to end his or
      her day early, but the Hawaiian gods may have ordained that you are going to face an obstacle or two in your quest to conquer the
      course.
      The bonk
      Nutrition is the fourth, and often most important, discipline in Ironman racing. No one enters the race planning to bonk, but it
      happens. It starts with a lightheaded feeling and increasing difficulty in concentrating on the race. It continues with waves of
      disorientation and fatigue, and then the body starts telling you that it is going to slow down. You start to fantasize about sugary
      and fatty foods. Where did things go wrong?
      Kona offers a unique race environment that can wreak havoc with your nutrition. Don't try to push through the bonk - the gods will
      win. Start by slowing your pace a little and try to consume carbohydrates. It is important to take these carbs regularly, but not to
      gorge. If you inundate your system with an overload of carbohydrates, you may taste them again on their way back up. Eat frequently
      but in small portions, allowing your body to absorb the calories before more come barreling down your throat.
      To ward off an impending bonk, go for liquids and gels first to allow your body to quickly absorb the carbs and get your mind and
      body back on track. Follow those with solid food if you can. Walk through aid stations, drinking and eating. Don't worry about lost
      seconds in the aid stations - refueling is your most important goal when a bonk is imminent. When you start to feel good again, keep
      putting the carbs in. Ironman is a long event and you can recover from a bonk, but you must be smart and proactive about your
      nutrition.
      More...from Life Sport Coaching at:
      http://www.lifesportcoaching.com/AllWrong.php

      9. The PH of foods and their effect on performance:
      The acidity or alkalinity of foods may have a profound effect on retaining muscle, health and endurance performance.
      By Kris Walker MD
      Intro: Acid-base homeostasis in humans is critical to health. An important property of blood is its degree of acidity or
      alkalinity. Body acidity increases when the level of acidic compounds in the body rises (through increased intake or production, or
      decreased elimination) or when the level of basic (alkaline) compounds in the body falls (through decreased intake or production, or
      increased elimination). Body alkalinity increases with the reverse of these processes. The body's balance between acidity and
      alkalinity is referred to as acid-base balance. The acidity or alkalinity of any solution, including blood, is indicated on the pH
      scale.
      PH-review: Here is a quick review of some acid-base concepts. Acids generally taste sour and bases generally taste bitter. Both
      strong acids and strong bases are dangerous and can burn your skin. There are a few different ways to define an acid or a base. In
      an aqueous (liquid) solution, an acid generates or donates a hydrogen ion (H+) and a base accepts a hydrogen ion (H+) or donates a
      hydroxy ion (OH-). A salt is formed when an acid and a base are mixed and the acid releases H+ ions and the base releases OH- ions.
      Example: HCl (acid)+ NaOH(base) = NaCl(salt) + H2O(water). This is called a neutralization reaction. The pH of the salt depends
      on the strength of the original acid and base being mixed. pH is the measure of the strength of the acid or base. The measurement
      ranges from 0 to 14, with 0 being the most acidic and 14 being the most basic and 7 being neutral. A pH over 7 is considered basic
      or alkalotic and under 7 is acidic. Strong acids have lower pHs and weaker acids are closer to 7, while strong bases have very high
      pHs and weaker ones are closer to neutral 7.
      PH regulation: The blood's acid-base balance is precisely controlled in the body, because even a minor deviation from the normal
      range can severely affect many organs. The body uses 3 different mechanisms to control acid-base balance: through the respiratory
      system, chemical buffers, and the excretion of acid by the kidneys. pH is maintained in the blood between 7.38 and 7.42. Muscle
      pH is lower, about 7.0. The first mechanism that the body has to maintain pH is through buffers.. This is very quick, taking a few
      seconds. Bicarbonate or citrate (bases) accepts a proton to form a neutral salt. The second way is through pulmonary ventilation,
      which excretes H+ through increased ventilation. H + HCO3 forms H2CO3 which forms H2O (water) and CO2 (carbon dioxide), which is
      eliminated through respiration. This takes a few minutes. The third mechanism is long-term and is through the kidneys ability to
      excrete acid. The kidneys cannot excrete urine more acidic than 4.4, so hydrogen acceptors, or buffers, are required. The main
      buffer is ammonia, NH3, which accepts a hydrogen molecule and is excreted as NH4, or ammonium.(14)
      More...from First Endurance at:
      http://blog.firstendurance.com/2009/08/the-ph-of-foods-and-their-effect-on-performance/

      10. VO2max - The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com:
      ** VO2max -- An Aerobic Parameter with an Anaerobic Component
      Although VO2max refers to the maximal amount of oxygen consumed per minute, and is therefore considered an aerobic variable, the
      speed at which VO2max occurs involves a considerable contribution from anaerobic metabolism, as it occurs at a speed faster than
      your lactate threshold. This point seems to be lost on many runners and coaches, as this tells us something about the relationship
      between aerobic and anaerobic metabolism. Although counterintuitive, the fastest rate of oxygen use occurs when there is also a lot
      of
      energy being produced without oxygen. As I've discussed in past newsletters, the most potent way to improve VO2max is to run
      intervals lasting 3-5 minutes at about 3K race pace, a workout that also includes a considerable anaerobic contribution. Races for
      which a high VO2max is considered important (800 to 5,000 meters) have a high anaerobic contribution as well. The biochemistry
      behind this matter is complex: when the Krebs cycle and electron transport chain are working at their fastest rates, glycolysis is
      also working. In other words, the fastest aerobic motor occurs when an anaerobic motor is also running.
      ** Exercise On an Empty Stomach
      Have you ever been told you'll burn more fat if you do cardio first thing in the morning before breakfast when your blood glucose is
      low? While research has shown that exercising after an overnight fast does increase the amount of fat used during exercise,
      especially when the exercise is performed at a very low intensity, it does not burn more calories, which is what's really important
      for fat and weight loss. Other research has shown that fasting decreases the ability to sustain a given exercise intensity compared
      to eating breakfast first, which means you'll burn fewer calories when fasted. So if you exercise first thing in the morning, eat
      first.
      ** Coaching Consultations
      Are you having trouble meeting your running and fitness goals? Do you coach other runners and want to know how to improve their
      performances? RunCoachJason.com can help. We offer the very best consultations for runners, coaches, and personal trainers. If
      you want to improve your running performance, or you want the opportunity to have your fitness and running questions answered
      immediately, you can talk to Coach Jason live. Act before September 30, and you'll receive a 20% discount. For a list of
      consultation topics and to
      book a consultation with Coach Jason, go to http://www.runcoachjason.com/consulting.
      ** The Final 8 Weeks of Marathon Training
      One of my athletes, long before I met him, ran 25 miles a few days before his first marathon so he could feel confident going into
      the race. Crashing 20 miles into the marathon, he realized that running that long that close to the marathon was a big mistake. If
      you're one of the thousands of runners who will be running a marathon this fall, every run from now until your marathon is
      important. One of the key ingredients during the last eight weeks of marathon training is the lactate threshold run.
      The lactate threshold, or what I call the acidosis threshold (AT), is an important physiological variable that demarcates the
      transition between running that is almost purely aerobic and running that includes significant oxygen-independent (anaerobic)
      metabolism, and represents the fastest speed you can sustain aerobically. It is the best physiological predictor of distance
      running performance. The longer the race, the more important it is to train your AT.
      AT training increases your AT to a faster speed, allowing you to run faster before you fatigue. The goal of marathon training is to
      raise your AT and to increase your ability to sustain as high of a percentage of your AT as possible. For average runners, AT pace
      is approximately 10 to 15 seconds per mile slower than 5K race pace (about 80 to 85% maximum heart rate). For those more trained,
      it's about 25 to 30 seconds per mile slower than 5K race pace and about 20 seconds per mile faster than marathon race pace (about
      90% maximum heart rate). Subjectively, these runs should feel "comfortably hard."
      I typically use four types of AT workouts with the marathoners I coach:
      1) continuous runs at AT pace, starting at about 3 miles and increasing up to 7 to 8 miles (or about 45 to 50 minutes, whichever
      comes first);
      2) intervals run at AT pace with short rest periods, such as 4 to 6 x 1 mile at AT pace with one minute rest;
      3) shorter intervals run at slightly faster than AT pace with very short rest periods, such as 2 sets of 4 x 1,000 meters at 5 to 10
      seconds per mile faster than AT pace with 45 seconds rest and two minutes rest between sets; and
      4) AT/LSD combo runs, medium-long runs (12-16 miles) with a portion run at AT pace, such as 10 miles easy + 4 miles at AT pace or 3
      miles easy + 3 miles at AT pace + 3 miles easy + 3 miles at AT pace.
      In the final eight weeks of your marathon preparation, do one to two AT workouts per week and alternate your long run with an AT/LSD
      combo run. 4-5 weeks before your marathon, try to find a half-marathon race. It not only serves as a great AT workout, it will
      help you predict your upcoming marathon pace.
      To view past newsletters go to: http://www.runcoachjason.com/newsletter
      Copyright Jason Karp All Rights Reserved - http://www.runcoachjason.com

      11. The Injury Shuffle:
      By Coach Matt Russ
      When an athlete sustains an injury, the body produces pain as a way to get the athlete to stop doing what is causing it damage.
      Inflammation creates a feedback loop "turning off" muscle fibers and further shutting down an injury site. Depending on the
      intensity of the pain and inflammation, the athlete will compensate for it by using other muscle groups to do the work of the ones
      that are injured. This may be in the form of a subtle shift in weight or a full-on limp.
      Once the athlete is healed, however, they will not always return to the same running form they had prior to being injured. The
      injury-compensated stride mechanics may continue; in some cases, even leading to more overuse injuries in other areas. An example
      is a "unipod" stride in which the athlete puts more weight on one leg to protect and unload the other. It is important to note that
      stride mechanics are deeply ingrained neurologically and habitual. Often the athlete does not realize that they are compensating.
      A comment I frequently hear after a video stride analysis is "I did not know I was doing that."
      One of the more common compensations I see is one I call the "injury shuffle." Running involves forceful contractions. The faster
      a runner runs, the more forceful they become. For this reason alone a runner is more likely to be injured at their race pace versus
      a slow training pace. The injury shuffle is a way to compensate for the forces involved in running while attempting to maintain
      some semblance of speed. I generally observe a very fast stride rate of 190-200 strides per minute, with a relatively short stride.
      Posture is upright without much forward lean into gravity. There is little vertical oscillation or flight time and the run is very
      "flat;" picture the little sand piper birds you see running along the beach. I guess the good news is that this is a relatively
      "safe" stride, as the mechanics diminish contractile force and impact. I have observed similar mechanics in ultra distance runners
      in which time on the feet and injury prevention is trumped by running speed. The bad news is that it creates slow stride mechanics
      with little opportunity for improvement without some sort of mechanical intervention.
      More...from the Sport Factory at:
      http://thesportfactory.com/site/trainingnews/The_Injury_Shuffle.shtml

      12. If you run the numbers, it's a good time:
      Commentator and economist Justin Wolfers says he's analyzed the costs of his running hobby and, for him, it makes complete economic
      sense.
      TEXT OF COMMENTARY
      Tess Vigeland: Today we're continuing our series Econ Fun-01, about what economists do with their free time. You know, how they have
      fun, or try to, if only their big money brains would turn off. Commentator Justin Wolfers takes exercise to a competitive level.
      What's economics got to do with it? For Justin, just about everything.
      JUSTIN WOLFERS: I'm not just an economist, I'm also a runner, training for the Marine Corps Marathon.
      Runners World magazine recently argued that marathon running is an incredibly cheap sport. All you need is a pair of shoes, and
      you're off and running. But they're wrong.
      You see, they were emphasizing the out-of-pocket cost, which is small. But the foundation of all economics is something called
      opportunity cost. It says that the true cost of something is the alternative you have to give up.
      Listen to the show at the Marketplace at:
      http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2009/08/25/pm-wolfers-commentary/

      13. Why muscle sugar, D-ribose is taken by athletes & autoimmune patients to restore energy:
      Can D-ribose restore energy? What are cardiologists telling marathon runners, athletes, people with fibromyalgia, lyme disease,
      chronic fatigue syndrome, restless leg syndrome, the generally fatigued, heart failure/heart disease patients, and the
      energy-depleted, frail aged about how the nutrition supplement, D-ribose can help restore energy levels depleted by drugs or stress
      and relieve muscle pain?
      Numerous athletes such as marathon runners use L-carnitine, taurine, and CoQ10 as well as magnesium and D-ribose. For example, when
      a doctor who also is a marathon runner added D-ribose to his L-carnitine and CoQ10 regimen for himself, that formula which boosted
      the doctor's energy metabolism also later benefited his patients with sick hearts. The doctor added D-ribose to make a trio with
      L-carnitine and CoQ10.
      He found that not only did the D-ribose act as if it were the missing link to more energy for healthy runners like himself, but by
      adding D-ribose to increase energy levels in his patients, the energy pool in the patients with various heart diseases also
      increased.
      D-ribose is a naturally occurring sugar that enhances energy by generating recovery of ATP levels (your body's primary energy
      carrying molecule). Shown to improve health and fitness in athletes, people with cardiovascular problems, and those with
      fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. Also see the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Blog's notation on D-ribose.
      More...from the SF Examiner at:
      http://tinyurl.com/n8te98

      14.Six Common Running Injuries to Avoid:
      The only thing runners fear more than rabid dogs and porta-potty emergencies is getting hurt. An injury means taking a break, and
      runners hate the thought of losing fitness, gaining weight, or missing an endorphin fix. But what if you knew what injuries you were
      likely to face - before a single symptom struck?
      Sports physician Jack Taunton, M.D., and exercise scientist Michael Ryan, both recreational runners from the University of British
      Columbia, were studying sports injuries four years ago when they recognized a lack of data linking specific traits, weight, gender,
      foot type - to running injuries. So they decided to conduct research that was later published in the British Journal of Sports
      Medicine. "We found that certain injuries were statistically more significant among particular people," Ryan says. "Women are more
      likely to experience one kind of knee pain - patellofemoral pain syndrome - while men are more likely to experience another -
      patellar tendonitis."
      Ryan and Taunton's findings focus on six injuries and the runners they most commonly afflict. Whether you're in a high-risk group or
      not, simple training adjustments can keep you safe. These precautionary measures could save you from the dreaded routine of rest and
      rehab.
      More...from Active.com at:
      http://tinyurl.com/nhqtzq

      15. Digest Briefs
      ** The cost of muscles
      "It is sexual selection that created the deer's antlers and the peacock's tail, and William Lassek of the University of Pittsburgh
      and Steven Gaulin of the University of California, Santa Barbara, think it explains men's muscles as well," The Economist reports.
      "The main characteristic of sexually selected features is that they are expensive to maintain." Using data from a U.S. survey of
      12,000 American men and women over six years, the researchers found that "men require 50 per cent more calories than women do, even
      after adjusting for activity levels, and that their muscle mass is the strongest predictor of their intake of calories - stronger
      than their occupation or their body-mass index (a measure of obesity). And there is another cost to being muscly: men's immune
      systems are less effective than those of women (which was known before), and become worse the more muscular the men are (which was
      not)."
      ** This Week in Running:
      10 Years Ago- At the IAAF World Championships in Seville ESP, medals in the 10,000m went
      Haile Gebreselasie (ETH), Paul Tergat (KEN), and Assefa Mezgebu (ETH) for the men
      and to Getenesh Wami (ETH), Paula Radcliffe (ENG), and Tegla Loroupe (KEN) for the
      women. The 5000m medals went to Gabriela Szabo (ROM), Zhara Ouaziz (MAR), and
      Ayelech Worku (ETH) for the women and to Salah Hissou (MAR), Benjamin Limo (KEN),
      and Mohamed Mourhit (BEL) for the men.
      20 Years Ago- Hiromi Taniguchi (JPN) won the Hokkaido (JPN) Marathon in 2:13:16, way ahead of
      Hisatoshi Shintaku (JPN) at 2:19:53. Randy Thomas (USA) was 3rd in 2:23:50.
      Lorraine Moller (NZL) won the women's race in 2:36:39, more than ten minutes ahead
      of Mayumi Matusmoto (JPN) at 2:47:16. Akemi Masuda (JPN) was 3rd in 2:48:44.
      30 Years Ago- Brendan Foster (ENG) clocked a two mile (track) in 8:21.43 to win the Rotary Watches
      Meet (ENG). Nick Rose (ENG) at 8:23.46 and David Black (ENG) at 8:25.20 rounded
      out the top three.
      40 Years Ago- Chuck Smead (USA) won the National Junior AAU Championship (Santa Rosa CA/USA) 30K
      with a 1:46:34. Jack Leydig (USA) was 4th at 1:51:36 while your ADR editor slogged
      in at 2:04:22 for 9th place. The start and finish was one lap around a horse track,
      one mile in circumference (it makes a 400m track seem rather small).
      50 Years Ago- Osvaldo Suarez (ARG) won the Pan-American Games (IL/USA) 10,000m with a 30:17.2.
      Douglas Kyle (CAN) won the silver medal with a 30:28 while Robert Soth (USA) took
      the bronze medal in 30:51.8. Two days later, Bill Dellinger (USA) won the 5000m in
      14:28.4 while Suarez doubled back for the silver in 14:28.5. Kyle also doubled back
      for the bronze in 14:33.0
      60 Years Ago- Hans Frischknecht won the Swiss marathon title with a time of 2:53:03.
      70 Years Ago- August Niederhauser won the Swiss marathon title with a time of 2:56:09.4.
      From The Analytical Distance Runner, the newsletter for the Association of Road Racing Statisticians with a focus on races, 3000m
      and longer, including road, track, and cross-country events. The ARRS has a website at http://www.arrs.net.
      ** NSAIDs Interfere with Proper Training
      Ibuprofen and other NSAIDs (Non Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs), taken before or after exercise, interfere with the benefits of
      training for fitness and athletic competition because they delay healing of damaged muscles (British Journal of Sports Medicine,
      August 2009). You train for sports by taking a hard workout that damages muscles and makes them feel sore. You then take easy,
      less intense workouts for as long as it takes for the soreness to go away. Only then should you take intense workouts again.
      Swimmers take hard and easy workouts every day, but athletes in virtually all other sports allow at least 48 hours between intense
      workouts.
      Biopsies done the day after a hard workout show bleeding into the muscle fibers and disruption of the Z-bands that hold muscle
      fibers together. Injured muscles release healing
      prostaglandins that cause collagen to be laid down in muscle fibers to make them larger and stronger. They also cause pain. NSAIDs
      block the training effect by blocking healing prostaglandins, thus delaying recovery and collagen production. They prevent bones,
      muscles, tendon and ligaments from thickening and becoming stronger.
      Athletes taking NSAIDs during competition are at increased risk for bleeding into their kidneys, and for intestinal bacteria to
      enter their bloodstreams (Brain, Behavior and
      Immunity, November 2006). An estimated 60 percent of athletes competing in triathlons and other endurance events take NSAIDs
      because they think that it will block the pain of competition. NSAIDs have not been shown to block the pain and fatigue of
      competing in athletic events that require endurance.
      ** My report on the unreliable Maximum Heart Rate formula (http://www.drmirkin.com/fitness/9156.html) brought many questions on how
      heart rate SHOULD be used for training.
      Competitive athletes often use a guide called lactate threshold (LT). When you exercise, your muscles require oxygen to convert
      food to energy. If you exercise so intensely that you
      cannot get enough oxygen, lactic acid accumulates in your muscles and spills over into your bloodstream. This makes your muscles
      more acidic which causes terrible burning, and you to become short of breath and slow down as you struggle to get more oxygen. Your
      lactate threshold occurs when you exercise at the highest average heart rate you can maintain for 45-60 minutes. RoadBikeRider.com
      offers the following guidelines for cyclists; the same principles can be used in any other endurance sport.
      "A good way to find your LT is to ride a fairly flat 15-mile course at a hard pace. Use a heart monitor that averages heart rate for
      the distance or just check it occasionally to see
      where HR settles.
      You'll quickly find that you can maintain a certain high HR, but if you go a few beats higher you'll start panting and be unable to
      control your breathing. Trial and error will reveal the
      highest HR you can maintain for the distance. That's your LT.
      Three simple exercise zones based on your LT heart rate are sufficient. These guidelines should work for most riders:
      Recovery takes place about 40 beats below LT
      Endurance is built on rides about 25 beats below LT
      Breakthrough training is done from 10 beats below LT to about 5 beats above LT
      No heart monitor? You can do just as well by monitoring your perceived exertion. For instance, recovery rides should be so easy that
      you barely feel the pedals. The idea is to take a 'walk' on the bike. Hard efforts, such as intervals and climbing, should be at
      the limit separating steady-but-labored breathing from panting and gasping. By experimenting you'll find this LT boundary."
      Whatever your sport, I recommend subscribing to RBR's freenewsletter; it's full of useful information for exercisers.
      http://www.roadbikerider.com/newsletter.htm
      From Dr. Mirkin's e_zine at:
      http://www.drmirkin.com

      THIS WEEK'S FEATURED EVENTS:
      *Please verify event dates with the event websites available from our FrontPage (www.runnersweb.com)

      September 4, 2009:
      Belgacom Memorial Van Damme - Brussels, Belgium
      Live Internet Coverage - CBC.ca
      Live on UniversalSports.com

      September 4-5, 2009:
      London Odyssey Relay - London, GBR

      September 6, 2009:
      Charm City Run 20 Miler - North Central Trail, MD

      Disneyland Half Marathon - Anaheim, CA

      Ironman Monaco - Principality of Monaco

      Milton Women's Triathlon - Milton, ON

      Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon - Virginia Beach, VA

      September 7, 2009:
      American Discovery Trail Marathon, Colorado Springs, CO

      Mammoth Rock Race 10K - Mammoth Lakes, CA

      Stratton Faxon New Haven Road Race - CT
      USA 20K Championships

      June 19, 2010
      Emilie's Run
      The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women
      http://www.emiliesrun.com

      mailto:webmaster@... to notify us of the problem. To update your Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the

      Ken

      Ken Parker
      www.RunnersWeb.com
      mailto:kparker@...
      613-746-4053
      http://www.OACRacingTeam.com
      http://www.EmiliesRun.com

      RUNNER'S WEB AFFILIATE PROGRAMS:
      All revenue from advertisers and affiliate programs goes into the support of running and triathlon through sponsorship of events,
      teams, clinics and fund raising programs for Canada's Olympic athletes.

      Puma
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000005110141&pubid=21000000000028567

      Champion
      http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=h1QosBYBFXw&offerid=113858.10000144&type=1&subid=0

      Free Ground Shipping on Orders of $175 or More at Patagonia.com
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000012303508&pubid=21000000000028567

      Your very own personal trainer at a fraction of the cost
      http://www.cartville.com/app/?af=473063

      Check out TotalWellness's mp3 Personal Training Program - only 5% the Cost of Regular Personal Training!
      http://www.totalwellnessconsulting.ca/fitter_u_totalwellness.htm

      Buy Paula Radcliffe's book, My Story - So Far, from Amazon UK at:
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/074325242X/runnersweb-21

      Instant Stretching Routines
      Design unlimited stretching routines today, starting from scratch, in under 60 seconds!
      http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/cmd.php?af=245575&u=http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/newsletter.php

      ShoeWallet.com has set out on a mission to enable people to easily carry ID and medical information at all times. Basically, anyone
      who is out on the roads or trails needs a convenient place to carry this vital information.
      http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?joggerscompanion+pXgxpm+index.html+

      SportsShoes in the UK
      http://www.sportsshoes.com/index.php?id=149

      If you have an accident while running or cycling, do you want your family to be contacted? Do you want to receive immediate and
      proper medical treatment?
      If so, make this cool item part of your gear -- for safety and peace of mind. Road ID has created 4 awesome ways for athletes to
      wear ID: the SHOE, the WRIST, the ANKLE, and the NECK. Get your RoadID at:
      http://www.roadid.com/?referrer=50

      The Stretching Handbook:
      http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/cmd.php?af=245575&u=http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/newsletter.php
      The Stretching Video in a DVD version. With the DVD version you're able to use the convenient menu facility to:
      * Go directly to a specific stretch;
      * View only stretches for a specific muscle group;
      * Pause each stretch to get a good look at how it is performed;
      * View only the introduction and rules for safe stretching; or
      * Play the entire video from start to finish.

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS:
      This newsletter has been composed using Outlook set to "Text" format. The Digest is sent via an email list at
      http://groups.yahoo.com.
      If you experience any delays in receiving your copy of the Digest, please advise us at:
      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for viruses.
      Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor (me) prior to being released to the group. If you have any questions regarding
      the options available for receiving this digest,
      mailto:Webmaster@...
      *NOTE*
      **[ Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two lines. If you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you paste
      the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or another appropriate suffix ].
      Note: An increasing number of media sites require free registration. If you wish to sign up for free access to sources for our
      articles without using your main email address we suggest the use of a mail alias program such as http://www.emailias.com.

      *** END OF RUNNER'S AND TRIATHLETE'S WEB DIGEST...***