Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest - April 3, 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2009
      A FREE WEEKLY E-ZINE OF MULTISPORT RELATED ARTICLES. The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is a weekly e-zine dealing with the
      sports of running and triathlon and general fitness and health issues. The opinions expressed in the articles referenced by the
      Digest are the opinions of the writers and not necessarily those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at
      http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out our daily news, features, polls, trivia, bulletin
      boards and more. General questions should be posted to one of our forums available from our FrontPage.

      1. Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women - Canada's Fastest Women's 5K
      Emilie's Run is over for another year. Almost 300 women completed the race with 38 women running under 20:00
      The 2009 race will be run on June 20th.
      For more on the race visit the website at:
      http://www.emiliesrun.com.

      3. Road Runner Sports, the world's largest running store at:

      4. Toronto Waterfront Marathon, September 27, 2009
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/STWM_Transporter.html

      5. Goodlife Fitness Toronto Marathon - October 18, 2009
      Register before the end of this month for the Marathon, Half Marathon, or 5k and save $$. Fees increase March 1st!
      http://www.torontomarathon.com/

      6. Training Peaks Training Peaks, LLC is dedicated to the endurance athlete and coach. With our industry leading software products,
      we're committed to help you monitor, analyze and plan your training. We encourage you to draw on our passion for excellence to help
      you reach your athletic dreams. Trusted by thousands. Dedicated to you.
      http://www.trainingpeaks.com/

      7. January 4, 2008: Goodlife Fitness has come on board as a sponsor of Emilie's Run GoodLife Fitness - Coed or Women's Only Visit
      www.GoodLifeFitness.com today to receive 3 FREE Visits! Your 3 FREE visits include: . A Visual Fitness Planner Consultation . Fit
      Fix Orientation to learn how to exercise safely and effectively . Access to all cardio and strength-training equipment . Access to
      all of our world-class Group EXercise classes . A copy of Living the Good Life audio CD Get started today! Visit
      www.GoodLifeFitness.com Limited time offer.

      8. iRun Magazine
      More than a million Canadians are runners, making it this country's most popular recreational and fitness activity. Canadians run
      for exercise and we run to raise money for important causes. We run alone and in groups. And every year, hundreds of thousands of us
      participate in organized races, from fun runs to marathons, which are growing steadily.
      Until now, Canadian runners haven't had our own running magazine. But now, there's iRun, providing a uniquely Canadian perspective
      on the activity and the sport. Published six times a year, iRun educates, informs and inspires Canadian runners.
      The Team
      Mark Sutcliffe, Publisher and Editor
      Mark has more than 20 years of experience in the Canadian media business. An avid runner, he has completed five marathons and 10
      half-marathons. He writes a popular weekly column on running in the Ottawa Citizen and co-hosts The Running Show every week on The
      Team 1200 radio. Mark is the former Executive Editor of the Ottawa Citizen and has also launched several publications, including the
      Ottawa Business Journal, now in its second decade, and the Kitchissippi Times, a successful community newspaper in Ottawa. His
      writing has appeared across the country in daily newspapers, and magazines like Macleans and Canadian Business.
      Ray Zahab, Contributing Editor
      Ray Zahab is Canada's most renowned ultramarathon runner. A former pack-a-day smoker, Ray transformed his life by becoming a
      successful long-distance runner, winning some of the world's most challenging foot races. Beginning in November 2006, Ray and two
      other runners ran across the Sahara Desert in 111 days, averaging 70 kilometres per day without a single day's rest. Ray is an
      accomplished public speaker, writes regularly about running and coaches athletes striving to achieve their own goals.
      Distribution
      iRun is Canada's highest-circulation and most popular running magazine. With a total distribution of 50,000 and more than 9,000
      subscribers, iRun is leading the market in the rapidly growing and highly desirable demographic of Canadian runners.
      http://www.irun.ca/

      10. Mi-Sport - The Ultimate Sports MP3 Player Introducing the world's first and only waterproof and wireless sports mp3 player.
      These Mi-SPORT mp3 headphones have a 1GB memory built into a cool neckband design. At last no wire tangle and no earbuds to fall
      out. The patented design makes this waterproof/sweatproof mp3 player great for running, cycling and gym work. The player however is
      more than splash proof! It can be completely submerged with no harm to it making it perfect for swimming, kayaking, and water
      skiing. Now incorporating the latest 3D music quality with it's adapted waterproof speaker. Relax to music in the bath, or push out
      that training session with no fear of losing your player or tangling the wires. Circuit training is so much easier with your own
      music. Enjoy the waves wire-free. This is the only waterproof pair of classic headphones with a built in mp3 player in the world.
      The stylish looking headphones play the usual MP3, WMA and WAV formats and are compatible with Windows98/98SE/2000/XP and Apple MAC.
      Depending on track length, the headphones hold well over 14 hours worth of music and the rechargeable battery life is about 8 hours.
      Nick Matthew, the 2006 British Open squash champion now uses the player to train with and Mi-SPORT are endeavouring to encourage
      more athletes to enjoy the benefits of training to wire-free music, podcasts or coaching aids. Inspiration and freedom at last, for
      athletes and exercise enthusiasts everywhere.
      Check it out at: http://www.mi-sportmp3.com/

      ASSOCIATIONS:
      The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional Organization for the Running Industry.
      http://www.runningusa.org/

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS: Check the "New Subscribers' note at the bottom of the newsletter

      Add the Runner's Web News feed to your site through a simple JavaScript. Check out OnTri.com's implementation at:
      http://www.ontri.com/runnersweb.html
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is now available

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet Explorer from the link on our FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com . We have added a button for Lauren Groves, Triathlete.

      If anyone is looking for a web mail provider, you might wish to consider Google's GMail. You can now sign up for free Gmail at
      Google WITHOUT AN INVITATION at: www.gmail.com

      Nike:
      Offer: Enjoy Free Shipping on your purchase of $100 or more at Nikestore.com
      Code: ELEVATE8
      Dates: April 2, 2009 - April 8, 2009
      Restrictions: Enter promo code ELEVATE8 at checkout. Not valid on NIKEiD or Gift Cards (Gift Cards always ship free). For discount to apply the minimum merchandise total must be $100.00 after any other discounts are taken and before shipping, handling and taxes are added. Valid for standard ground shipping to one destination only. Order usually arrives in 2-9 business days. Not transferable and not redeemable for cash or for credit towards previous purchases. Valid at NikeStore.com, Swoosh.com, or via telephone only. Offer expires April 8, 2009 at 11:59 p.m. PST.
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000027600611&pubid=21000000000028567

      Finish Line has a huge selection of athletic shoes, running shoes, basketball shoes, sneakers, sandals, and boots for men, women, and kids. Find incredible savings at Finish Line in April!
      Not only has Finish Line extended its offer for $10 off orders of $60 or more until April 28th, but now customers can also get $20 off orders of $100 or more with code APRIL20100. This promotion is only available to the affiliate channel and expires on April 4th.
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000027534803&pubid=21000000000028567

      It's The Sports Bra Sale at ChampionUSA.com! All Bras are $19.99 and up! Valid Through April 27th.
      http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=vVGS2V*0iZg&offerid=139837.10000200&type=3&subid=0

      The book "The Runner's Guide to the Meaning of Life: What 35 Years of Running has Taught Me About Winning, Loving, Happiness,
      Humility, and the Human Heart" is available FREE as a download from MindsetTriathlon.com.
      http://www.mindsettriathlon.com/product_info.php?products_id=1158&it=1#previews

      FRS Healthy Energy Drink - Free Trial
      http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-1452277-10571944

      Get Free Shipping with a Purchase of $60 or more from March 13th through March 15th. No promo code necessary! Hurry and get a chance
      to save before this fantastic offer ends!
      http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=vVGS2V*0iZg&offerid=139837.10000196&type=3&subid=0

      The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women - June 20, 2009
      http://www,emiliesrun.com

      Event directors, add your event to our Event Calendar at:
      http://runnersweb.mhsoftware.com/

      Watch live and webcast of Track and Field and Road races on Universal Sports
      Sign up at:
      http://www.universalsports.com//SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23000&KEY=&SPID=13055&SPSID=105551

      I've created a Runner's Web Group on Facebook. To join the Runner's Web Facebook group, if you are not a member of Facebook, you

      mailto:webmaster@... or leave your comments in one of our Forums at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/forum.html or from our FrontPage.

      We have 2,497 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe at:

      ROAD RUNNER SPORTS
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/Mobile_RRS.html

      * BREAKSWEAT.TV
      We have partnered with Breaksweat TV to provide us with video content.
      Simply Sports Media is part of a large group called Simply Media, which operates more than 25 digital TV channels, including 6 on
      satellite and cable. Simply Media has developed and continues to expand on premium content for TV, web, mobile, captive Audience
      Networks, and IPTV.
      Breaksweat.tv was recently launched to provide instant access to premium video content covering outdoor sports. The innovative
      online channel uses a system called, Brightcove to continually and seamlessly deliver content to its users, whilst providing
      easy-to-use navigation.
      Breaksweat TV is not a user generated website, or a broadcasting channel; rather it is a platform used to host Breaksweat.tv's
      independently produced video content, and content it obtains from key relationships in the outdoor sports industry. By applying this
      strategy to supply content for its viewers, SnowZone.tv is able to showcase video content that is unique, high-quality, and
      continuous filled with updated material.
      For more information and to visit other existing channels in the Simply Media network, please visit:
      http://www.simply.tv/

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey. Sheila is one of Ottawa's top multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C
      Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public Health and works in the field of nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the
      University of California, San Diego. Her column index is available at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/SK_index.html

      * Carmichael Training Systems Carmichael Training Systems was founded in 1999 by Chris Carmichael. From the beginning, the mission
      of the company has been to improve the lives of individuals we work with through the application of proper and effective fitness and
      competitive training techniques. Whether your focus is recreational, advanced, or you are a professional racer, the coaching
      methodology employed by CTS will make you a better athlete. Check the latest monthly column from CTS at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/cts_columns.html.
      Carmichael Training Systems at:
      http://www.trainright.com/promos.asp?code=DSBYBFCSP

      * Peak Running Performance Peak Running Is The Nation's Most Advanced Running Newsletter. Rated as the #1 Running Publication by
      Road Runner Sports (Worlds Largest Running Store) , Peak Running caters to the serious / dedicated runner. Delivering world class
      running advice are some of running's most recognizable athletes including Dr. Joe Vigil (US Olympic Coach), Scott Tinley (2 Time
      Ironman Champ) Steve Scott (3 Time Olympian) and many more. This bi-monthly newsletter has been around for over 13 years, and in the
      past two it has been awarded the "Golden Shoe Award" in recognition of it's outstanding achievements.

      * Running Research News: RRN's free, weekly, training update provides subscribers with the most-current, practical, scientifically
      based information about training, sports nutrition, injury prevention, and injury rehabilitation. The purpose of this weekly e-zine
      is to improve subscribers' training quality and to help them train in an injury-free manner. Running Research News also publishes a
      complete, 12-page, electronic newsletter 10 times a year (one-year subscriptions are $35); to learn more about Running Research
      News, please see the Online Article Index and "About Running Research News" sections below or go to RRNews.com. Check out the
      article index at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RRN_index.html

      community. We have ONE personal posting this week.
      ONE:
      Runner Appeal: Get fit, have fun and help a great cause!
      We are currently looking for people to take part in the 10K London Run on
      Sunday 12th July 2009 as a sponsored challenge in aid of helping street
      children in Brazil.
      No entry fee, no experience needed, just your willingness to try your best
      to complete the challenge and raise £250 for ABC Trust.
      The race will begin at 9.30AM, and the course starts in Piccadilly Circus,
      passes through London’s famous landmarks and finishes in Whitehall.
      We have a team of 20 people and some places left, please come and join our
      team, get fit and help change the lives of vulnerable children in Brazil!
      To register or to find out more, please contact me directly: Fatima Luna:
      0207 287 3818, mailto:fatima@...
      www.abctrust.org.uk/challenges.html

      THIS WEEK'S DIGEST ARTICLE INDEX:

      1. Study: Triathlons can pose deadly heart risks
      2. Fitness: Underwater trainers - do they work for you?
      We put the latest fitness trends through their paces.
      3. Study: Triathlons can pose deadly heart risks
      4. Optimal Running Speed Associated With Evolution Of Early Human Hunting Strategies
      5. Tired of the treadmill? Get out and play instead
      6. Team Triabetes
      7. Get in step with your fitness personality: expert
      8. Forty years of aerobics
      More than 40 years ago, Dr. Kenneth Cooper's book touted a new type of exercise.
      9. Piloting a Distance Revolution
      Rob Conner's Portland Pilots Get Faster by Running Slower.
      10. This Week in Running
      11. VO2max Newsletter
      12. Heart Muscle Renewed Over Lifetime, Study Finds
      13. Run Softly, Naturally
      Can a Gait Makeover Improve Your Running?
      14. Dr. Mirkin's Fitness & Health eZine

      "Are you male or female and do you support women-only races?"

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage ( http://www.runnersweb.com) as well as checking the results of previous polls.

      LAST WEEK'S POLL RESULTS:
      Should there be an age restriction for the marathon?
      Answers Percent
      1. No restriction 10%
      2. 12+ 10%
      3. 14+ 5%
      4. 16+ 15%
      5. 18+ 40%
      6. 21+ 20%

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE MONTH: All-Athletics.com
      A new subscription-based athletics Web site has been launched: www.all-athletics.com. The site intends to provide an "unprecedented variety of facts, figures, news and other features" on athletics, according to a recent release circulated to journalists covering the European Indoor Championships.
      Here is a partial list of the features the site is offering:
      . In depth Overall and Event-by-event World Rankings with searchable archive and history
      . Area, regional and national Rankings
      . Athletes Profiles including the athletes'€™ Personal and Annual Bests, past and current results, records, honours, participations at major championships, their World Ranking positions and Ranking calculations, etc.
      . Head-to-head statistics against other athletes
      . Winning streaks of the selected athletes
      . Score Calculator
      . Competition Results
      . World and Area Records
      . World news, Competition previews and reports and other Featured articles
      The site is a "Service Partner" of the Weltklasse Zurich, and its full content is only available by subscription. Pricing varies from USD 5 per day and USD 21 per month to USD 99 for a full year.
      Currently, the only other athletics website charging a fee for usage is the statistics site, www.Tilastopaja.org, which charges 90 Euros (USD 113) for two years or 55 Euros (USD 69) for one year.
      (This review was written by Race Results Weekly)
      Visit the website at:
      http://www.all-athletics.com

      BOOK/VIDEO/MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Race Against Me: My Story
      By Dwain Chambers
      It is being billed as the book "they don't want you to read" and at its launch in Soho, London last night, Dwain ­Chambers said he was braced for controversy. 'Race Against Me', due to be published on 9 March, is likely to upset some of the most important and influential individuals in athletics.
      "It's an opportunity to express my point of view," said Chambers. "It involves some peoples' names being mentioned, not to upset them, but to set the record straight. I'm just using it to voice my opinion. I am fully aware that I'm not everybody's cup of tea but that's life and you can't please everybody."
      The book is Chambers' side of the story since testing positive for THG in 2003, his subsequent two year ban, his failed attempt to overturn a lifetime Olympic ban in the high court and his opinion on his treatment by the sport's governing bodies and leading individuals.
      The title itself is provocative, with some suggesting it is a thinly veiled accusation of racism. Asked if this was his intention Chambers replied: "If you're a smart man you'll read between the lines. That's never been my point but I understand how ­society works and it's something I'm accustomed to. I think it's a fitting title."
      Chambers, who is tipped to win gold at next month's European Indoor ­Championships in Turin, published and wrote the book on a shoestring budget. He received no advance sum from the ­Spanish publishers Libros International.
      "I'm using it to add a bit of balance to the story because so far it's been so one sided and I haven't been able to get my point across," Chambers added. "It's been very therapeutic to get everything off my chest."
      Chambers, who is heavily in debt, insisted the book was not an attempt to earn a quick buck. "I'm not doing it just to make money because I have no idea how well the book's going to sell. Most importantly I just want to focus on Turin and earn money on the track so I can pay off my debts and then see where it goes from there."
      From the Guardian
      Buy the book from Amazon at:
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1905988753/runnersweb/102-0182896-9006569?v=glance&s=book

      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html and http://www.runnersweb.com/running/amazon.html

      THIS WEEK'S FEATURES:

      1. Study: Triathlons can pose deadly heart risks:
      Warning to weekend warriors: Swim-bike-run triathlons pose at least twice the risk of sudden death as marathons do, the first study of these competitions has found.
      The risk is mostly from heart problems during the swimming part. And while that risk is low — about 15 out of a million participants — it's not inconsequential, the study's author says.
      Triathlons are soaring in popularity, especially as charity fundraisers. They are drawing many people who are not used to such demanding exercise. Each year, about 1,000 of these events are held and several hundred thousand Americans try one.
      "It's something someone just signs up to do," often without a medical checkup to rule out heart problems, said Dr. Kevin Harris, a cardiologist at the Minneapolis Heart Institute at Abbott Northwestern Hospital. "They might prepare for a triathlon by swimming laps in their pool. That's a lot different than swimming in a lake or a river."
      He led the study and presented results Saturday at an American College of Cardiology conference in Florida. The Minneapolis institute's foundation sponsored the work and tracks athlete-related sudden deaths in a national registry.
      Marathon-related deaths made headlines in November 2007 when 28-year-old Ryan Shay died while competing in New York in the men's marathon Olympic trials. Statistics show that for every million participants in these 26.2-mile running races, there will be four to eight deaths.
      The rate for triathletes is far higher — 15 out of a million, the new study shows. Almost all occurred during the swim portion, usually the first event.
      "Anyone that jumps into freezing cold water knows the stress on the heart," said Dr. Lori Mosca, preventive cardiology chief at New York-Presbyterian Hospital and an American Heart Association spokeswoman. She had no role in the study but has competed in more than 100 triathlons, including the granddaddy — Hawaii's Ironman competition.
      More...from AP at:
      http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jac9_Ky-Kczqn-CYlQwwgOuZivPwD9775UKO0

      2. Fitness: Underwater trainers - do they work for you?
      We put the latest fitness trends through their paces.
      What are they?
      These are running shoes to wear in the swimming pool. Developed by Garry Killgore, a professor in sports biomechanics in Oregon, they have “hydro-dynamic fins” and six “drainage ports” to allow water to escape.
      Who are they aimed at?
      Physiotherapists have long recommended aqua (or deep water) running for injured sports people, those with dicky knees and pregnant women. Water reduces pressure on joints and tendons by up to 90 per cent. Because it is 800 times denser than air and provides up to 12 times the resistance you get on land, you work harder running in water than on land. Studies show that regular runners burn eight calories a minute, and aqua-runners burn 11.5.
      What's the idea?
      Aqua-running is done in the deep end of a pool (you also need a flotation suit or belt) and your feet don't actually touch the floor. The main benefit of these trainers is to provide some resistance as you “jog”. They also have a non-slip surface that makes them great for getting in and out of the pool.
      Who uses them?
      Elite athletes in their hordes, including the world 5,000 metres record-holder Lornah Kiplagat, and the former winner of the London Marathon, Catherina McKiernan from Ireland. Paula Radcliffe runs in water when she is injured, as did Liz McColgan. And Jennifer Aniston stays in shape by aqua-running for 15 minutes every day.
      Can I try it?
      You can buy the AQX Aquatic Training shoes (from £49.99), zero gravity suits and flotation belts from www.aqua-running.co.uk
      Is it worth the money?
      Yes, if you are going to use them regularly. Ignore the gawps from swimmers - your waistline and knees will thank you for it.
      From the Times Online at:
      http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/diet_and_fitness/article5988771.ece

[...]
      More...from USA Today at:
      http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2009-03-29-triathlon-heart_N.htm

      4. Optimal Running Speed Associated With Evolution Of Early Human Hunting Strategies:
      Runners, listen up: If your body is telling you that your pace feels a little too fast or a little too slow, it may be right.
      A new study, published online March 18 in the Journal of Human Evolution, shows that the efficiency of human running varies with speed and that each individual has an optimal pace at which he or she can cover the greatest distance with the least effort.
      The result debunks the long-standing view that running has the same metabolic cost per unit of time no matter the speed — in other words, that the energy needed to run a given distance is the same whether sprinting or jogging. Though sprinting feels more demanding in the short term, the longer time and continued exertion required to cover a set distance at a slower pace were thought to balance out the difference in metabolic cost, says Karen Steudel, a zoology professor at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
      However, Steudel and Cara Wall-Scheffler of Seattle Pacific University have now shown that the energetic demands of running change at different speeds. "What that means is that there is an optimal speed that will get you there the cheapest," metabolically speaking, Steudel says.
      More...from Science Daily at:
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090319142411.htm

      5. Tired of the treadmill? Get out and play instead:
      Tired of the same old exercise routine? Get out and play instead, suggests a fitness expert who spoke at the American College of Sports Medicine's (ACSM) Annual Health and Fitness Summit in Atlanta.
      Play is "the perfect anecdote for when your exercise routine starts to feel like more of a chore than an activity of enjoyment," health scientist from Bethesda, Maryland, and ACSM faculty member Dr. Carol E. Torgan noted in a statement from the meeting. It's good for the body, mind and soul.
      "Think about activities you loved to do as a child and incorporate those into your routine (and) include your family," Torgan added in comments to Reuters Health.
      More...from Reuters at:
      http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSTRE52T6JI20090330

      6. Team Triabetes - Denise Ricci of New Jersey, Sean McKendry of Denver and Jerry Nairn of Phoenix. The three are accomplished marathoners, ultramarathoners, cyclists, Ironman finishers and Type 1 diabetics. Each has a compelling story of overcoming adversity of a life challenging disease while using the latest medical technology to reach new athletic heights.
      Denise, Sean and Jerry are all captains for unique training group called Triabetes- an organization strictly for diabetic athletes looking to push themselves that extra mile. In November, American Diabetes Month, the Triabetes team will compete in the Ford Ironman in Arizona. For more about the Triabetes team, check out http://www.triabetes.org/.
      About Denise Ricci
      Denise Ricci, an active 37 year-old Forked River, New Jersey resident, was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in high school after experiencing unexplainable and unquenchable thirst following spring track practices. A fit teenager and avid runner, she vowed never to let diabetes stand in her way. That mindset has helped Denise achieve many personal goals—such as completing 15 marathons, two ultramarathons, three Ironman events, and the hardest of all, a one-day 200-mile bike event.
      Being an RN since the age of 19, Denise recognizes that exercise is just one part of the equation. She manages her diabetes with a Medtronic Paradigm insulin pump, which closely mimics a healthy pancreas by delivering insulin on demand. Denise calls the decision to use the pump “the best thing I’ve ever done.” Elated with the pump’s convenience and consistency, Denise boasts that freedom from multiple daily injections, and better control of her blood glucose levels, gives her ultimate peace-of-mind and allows her to live a normal life.
      Today, Denise is driven to go beyond “normal.” She’s currently a 2009 team captain of Triabetes, a program that inspires and instructs diabetic athletes as they train for triathlons (contests that feature a 112-mile bike ride, a 2.4-mile swim, and a 26.2 mile run). Denise and the Triabetes team will compete in the Ironman Arizona this November and she’ll “warm-up” for the race during her Iron Girl event in Las Vegas this May.
      Denise thinks of herself as “just your typical Type 1 diabetic” -- a proud mom, devoted wife, full-time night shift RN and accomplished athlete. She’s always sworn to live life to the fullest and demonstrate to people with diabetes that their condition does not have to hold them back from doing anything.
      About Sean McKendry
      Sean McKendry, an active 36 year-old Denver resident, was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when he was 15. After graduating from college, Sean moved to Colorado to pursue a healthier lifestyle, having realized that exercise would play a critical role in managing his diabetes. He’s taken full advantage of his active Colorado lifestyle – pursuing sports such as mountaineering, snowshoeing, skiing and, more recently, cycling and triathlons.
      Sean recognizes that exercise is just one part of the equation in staying healthy. Today, he manages his diabetes with a Medtronic Paradigm insulin pump, which closely mimics a healthy pancreas by delivering insulin on demand. Sean credits a friend in convincing him to try the pump, and he’s glad he did. Elated with the pump’s convenience and flexibility, Sean boasts that freedom from multiple daily injections, and better control of his blood glucose levels, provides him with peace-of-mind and confidence in pursuing any dream. It’s this confidence that allowed him to travel through remote areas of Thailand and Nepal without being limited by his diabetes.
      Now a 2009 team captain of Triabetes – a program that inspires and instructs diabetic athletes as they train for triathlons – Sean’s next adventures include two half Ironman-distance triathlons this May, a cycling fundraiser with the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation in August, and an Ironman with his fellow Triabetic athletes in Arizona this November.
      Sean calls his determination and drive “pretty normal” – he’s just playing the cards he’s been dealt in the game of life and in the process, hopes to show diabetics and non-diabetics alike that you can accomplish anything that you set your mind to.
      About Jerry Nairn
      Jerry Nairn, an active 50-year-old Chandler, Arizona resident, was first diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes his sophomore year of high school. A fit teenager and cross country athlete, Jerry vowed never to let diabetes stand in his way. Throughout the years, Jerry continued to stay active and completed his first marathon in 1998. Jerry is now a self-proclaimed “marathon maniac” having participated in 48 marathons and 5 ultramarathons.
      Jerry recognizes that exercise is just one part of the equation in staying healthy. Today, he manages his diabetes with a Medtronic Paradigm insulin pump, which closely mimics a healthy pancreas by delivering insulin on demand. Elated with the pump’s convenience and flexibility, Jerry finds the pump a “huge improvement” from multiple daily injections and says that it provides him with the confidence to live a very active lifestyle.
      These days, Jerry runs with a dual purpose to raise both awareness and funds for diabetes. As a 2009 team captain of Triabetes – a program that inspires and instructs diabetic athletes as they train for triathlons – Jerry’s next adventures includes the Ironman Arizona with his fellow diabetic endurance athletes, and the Avenue of the Giants Marathon – his 49th lifetime marathon – this May. With the support of his loving family, Jerry is living his life to the fullest and demonstrating to people with diabetes that “you can do anything you put your mind to.”
      Visit the website at:
      http://www.triabetes.org/.

      7. Get in step with your fitness personality: expert:
      Having trouble sticking to your exercise regimen? Maybe you're not doing the right exercises for your "fitness personality," suggests Linda Shelton, a fitness expert who spoke at this year's American College of Sports Medicine's Health and Fitness Summit held last weekend in Atlanta.
      "Everyone has a fitness personality; their own exercise needs," Shelton told Reuters Health. Most people fail to stick with an exercise regimen, she said, because they are not exercising according to their fitness personality.
      In her work, Shelton has identified five distinct fitness personality types, which she labels squares, rectangles, triangles, circles and squigglies -- each has its own pitfalls.
      Of the five personality types, "squares" are the most reliable, stable and predictable exercisers. They thrive on routine. "Squares tend to develop rigid schedules for themselves, so while they get to the gym, they don't see progressive results because they hit plateaus," Shelton explained in a statement from the meeting. "Instead, a square should try to take baby steps toward sprinkling in new activities weekly that switch up their routines while still giving them the familiarity of the old program."
      More...from Reuters at:
      http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSTRE52U70B20090331

      8. Forty years of aerobics:
      More than 40 years ago, Dr. Kenneth Cooper's book touted a new type of exercise.
      Today's gym goers can be found singing on their stationary bikes during Cycle Karaoke, shaking their butts at Yoga Booty Ballet, sweating through a high-energy yoga flow class and learning the dance moves to "Legally Blonde." They're moving in different ways with different rhythms, but they're all trying to get the heart rate up in an interesting, engaging way.
      In short, they're doing aerobics.
      released the book "Aerobics," the form of exercise hasn't died. It's just morphed with the times, giving itself new names and shedding the leg warmers and the headbands.
      Cooper, then a young Air Force physician, invented the word "aerobics" for his 1968 book of the same name -- tacking an S onto the medical adjective "aerobic" as a way to describe the new kind of exercise he was touting. In the book, he defined aerobic exercises as those that "demand oxygen without producing an intolerable oxygen debt, so that they can be sustained for a long period of time."
      He didn't particularly like the word, and he didn't want it to be the title of his book. "The publisher thought we should call the book 'Aerobics.' I disagreed," he said recently from his office at the Cooper Institute in Texas where, at 77, he still sees patients, including former President George W. Bush. " 'People can't pronounce it, they can't spell it, they won't remember it,' " he recalled contending. "But look what has happened in the past 40 years."
      More...from the LA Times at:
      http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-aerobics30-2009mar30,0,6263972.story

      9. Piloting a Distance Revolution:
      Rob Conner's Portland Pilots Get Faster by Running Slower.
      Three years ago, David Kinsella and his freshman classmates at the University of Portland began their collegiate careers by running among themselves so they could gingerly adjust to collegiate training. One week in, longtime Portland mentor Rob Conner let 'em loose to run with the varsity.
      Their guide for their trial by fire was Michael Kilburg, a man who would explode as a Pilot senior in 2008 after an otherwise undistinguished career to run a school-record 28:20 for 10,000m. Kilburg proceeded to haul ass through the Oregon forest at such a clip that Kinsella and crew remember not how far or fast they went -- Kinsella is fairly certain it was 10 miles in 57 minutes -- only that they had to hang on for dear life.
      Welcome to college, fellas. "It was this attitude of just go out and blast it," says Kinsella, who quickly discovered that everyday runs like that were the norm. He knew if he was to make it as a collegiate runner, he would have to survive a training regimen that typically consisted of 60 to 80 miles a week, blazing 6-mile tempo runs and intense sessions of repeat miles, and 60-minute "recovery" day efforts routinely run at a 6-minute-per-mile clip. The Portland training program, as then constituted, resembled what you'll find on many campuses around the nation, and, like many others, its components developed organically from within.
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=15744

      10. This Week in Running:
      10 Years Ago- Getenesh Wami (ETH), Merima Denboba (ETH), and Paula Radcliffe (ENG) were the medalists
      in the women's 8K on the first day of the IAAF World Crosscountry Championships (NIR).
      Benjamin Limo (KEN), Paul Kosgei (KEN), and Hailu Mekonnen (ETH) were the men's short
      course medalists. The next day's long course (12K) for men saw Paul Tergat (KEN),
      Patrick Ivuti (KEN), and Paulo Guerra (POR) collecting the medals while Jackline Maranga
      (KEN), Yamna Oubouhou-Belkacem (FRA), and Annemari Sandell (FIN) were the medalists for
      the women's short course (4K).
      20 Years Ago- Peter Maher (CAN) won the 81st edition of the Around the Bay (ON/CAN) 30K in 1:34:12,
      with a comfortable lead over Andrew Jones (CAN) in 2nd with 1:38:11.
      Dorothy Goertzen (CAN) won the women's race in 1:58:53.
      30 Years Ago- Joan Benoit-Samuelson (USA) was first woman at the Jacksonville River Run (FL/USA) 15K
      in 51:47 while Jermy Odlin (ENG) was the first man in 46:03. Peter Squires (USA) and
      Malcolm East (ENG) followed Odlin with 46:25 and 46:30 respectively.
      40 Years Ago- Jay Dirksen (USA) won the National Junior AAU Championships (IA/USA) Marathon in 2:24:36
      in very cold (6F = -14C) and windy weather. Canadian Joe Skaja was 3rd in 2:36:17
      and masters legend Alex Ratelle (USA) was 14th in 2:51:39. Yours truly finished his
      first marathon in 3:21:35, way back in 36th place.
      50 Years Ago- Gordon Dickson (CAN) won the Firestone War Veterans (CAN) 25K in 1:21:58 with Ron
      Wallingford (CAN) picking up 3rd place in 1:24:16.
      60 Years Ago- Alain Mimoun (FRA) won the World Crosscountry Champs (Dublin IRL) 14.5K by one second
      over Rafael Pujazon (FRA). Bronze medalist Charles Cerou (FRA) was another four seconds
      back.
      From The Analytical Distance Runner, the newsletter for the Association of Road Racing Statisticians with a
      focus on races, 3000m and longer, including road, track, and cross-country events.

      11. VO2max Newsletter:
      * Marathon Fatigue
      Continuing with our discussion of fatigue, this month we examine the marathon.
      Given the length of the marathon, there are some things that limit your performance that don't play a major role in shorter races. The main difference is that you run out of carbohydrate, which is your muscles' preferred fuel. You have enough stored carbohydrate (glycogen) in your muscles to last slightly more than two hours of sustained running at a moderate intensity. Glycogen depletion and the accompanying low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) coincide with hitting the infamous wall. Once you run out of glycogen and blood glucose, your pace will slow down.
      Other issues not encountered in shorter races that affect marathon performance include dehydration, muscle fiber damage, hyperthermia, and psychological fatigue. When you sweat a lot, you become dehydrated, which causes a decrease in the plasma volume of the blood, decreasing the heart's stroke volume and cardiac output. Oxygen flow to your
      muscles is then compromised, and the pace slows. The relentless pounding on the pavement causes muscle fiber damage, which decreases muscle force production. Since your muscles produce heat when they contract, running for long periods of time increases body temperature and the resulting hyperthermia decreases blood flow to the active
      muscles since more blood is directed to the skin to increase convective cooling. Finally, running for so long can cause psychological or neural fatigue, the latter of which is due to changes in the levels of brain neurotransmitters.
      To combat fatigue in the marathon, you need to do high mileage, long runs, tempo runs, and long intervals. A high training volume improves many aspects of aerobic metabolism, including the number of red blood cells, hemoglobin concentration, muscle capillary and mitochondrial volumes, and aerobic enzymes, together resulting in a greater oxygen-
      carrying capability and greater ability to use the available oxygen.High mileage also seems to improve running economy, the oxygen cost of maintaining a given pace.
      Long runs present a threat to the muscles' survival by depleting their storage of fuel. Given adequate ingested carbohydrates following the long run, our bodies respond rather elegantly to the "empty tank" by synthesizing and storing more glycogen, thus increasing endurance for future efforts. However, molecular evidence suggests that holding out
      on the muscles by delaying the consumption of carbohydrates may be even more beneficial. By "starving" the muscles of carbohydrates, even more glycogen may be synthesized when carbohydrates are finally consumed. Low muscle glycogen content has been shown to enhance the transcription of genes involved in protein synthesis. Long runs also help you combat the psychological and neural fatigue by practicing to tolerate prolonged exertion.
      Tempo runs improve your lactate threshold, the fastest speed you can sustain aerobically and above which fatigue-inducing acidosis occurs. Increasing your lactate threshold pace allows you to run faster before you fatigue because it allows you to run faster before oxygen-independent metabolism begins to play a significant role. This is paramount for the marathon, which is basically a test of how long you can sustain a hard aerobic pace. The goal of marathon training is to increase the pace at which your lactate threshold occurs and to increase your ability to sustain as high of a fraction of your lactate threshold as possible. Try 3 to 4 miles, increasing to 7 to 8 miles, at lactate threshold pace (about 10 to 15 seconds per mile slower than 5K race pace or about 10K race pace for recreational runners, and about 25 to 30 seconds per mile slower than 5K race pace or about 15 to 20 seconds per mile slower than 10K race pace for highly trained runners) or 5 x 1 mile at lactate threshold pace with 1 minute rest. If you're experienced with doing many long runs
      and you want to give your marathon performance a boost, try inserting lactate threshold-paced running into some medium-long runs (12 to 16 miles). These LT/LSD combo runs let you simulate the physiological and psychological fatigue of the marathon without having to run as far. They also severely lower muscle glycogen, stimulating its synthesis and storage.
      Long intervals (3 to 5 minutes) increase your heart's stroke volume and cardiac output, sending more blood and oxygen to your muscles and increasing your VO2max. You should come close to reaching your maximum heart rate by the end of each work period. High-intensity training (95 to 100% VO2max) is the optimal stimulus for VO2max improvement. Try 5 x 1,000 meters or 7 x 800 meters at VO2max speed (about 2-mile race pace for good runners) with equal (or slightly less than equal) time as recovery.
      Other things you can do to combat fatigue in the marathon are 1) ingest carbohydrates during the race, 2) drink fluids with sodium, and 3) run long on pavement. That muscles prefer carbohydrates as a fuel is so fundamental to exercise metabolism, even research examining supplementation with carbohydrate during prolonged exercise has shown that fatigue can be delayed. Begin ingesting glucose about 30 minutes before you hit the wall so the glucose has time to be absorbed into your blood where it can be used for energy. Since your sweat rate exceeds your ability to ingest fluid while running, dehydration is difficult to prevent. However, since endurance performance declines with only a 2-3 percent loss of body weight due to fluid loss, it's important to minimize its effects. Since water goes wherever sodium goes, more water is conserved by the kidneys when you ingest sodium with the water. Finally, unless you're planning on running a trail marathon, do all of your long training runs on pavement to prepare for the muscle fiber damage you'll sustain in the race.
      * Strides
      There are a number of lightning-fast steps that occur for muscles to contract and produce force, all starting with the central nervous system, including the transmission of a signal to a motor neuron, the release of a neurotransmitter (acetylcholine) at the neuromuscular junction, the depolarization of the muscle, the propagation of an action potential deep inside the muscle, the release of calcium ions from the muscle's sarcoplasmic reticulum, the interaction between contractile proteins (actin and myosin), and the hydrolysis of ATP for muscle contraction. To run fast, the central nervous system has to increase the number of motor units recruited and increase the frequency of stimulation of the motor units. Thus, running fast is a strong stimulus for the central nervous system. While most of a distance runner's training is cardiovascular and metabolic in nature, sometimes you have to focus on the neuromuscular aspect of performance.
      Strides are one of the things you can do to focus on the neuromuscular aspect. Strides are 10- to 25-second (50 to 150 meters) controlled sprints. The purpose of strides is largely neuromuscular: to increase stride rate by recruiting fast-twitch motor units (muscle fibers), which increases speed and, more importantly, to increase stride length by increasing joint mobility (especially at the hip) and increasing leg muscle power, causing a greater propulsive thrust. The short bursts of speed also improve your coordination and running
      form.
      Strides, like other neuromuscular and technique work, should be performed at the beginning of the training session (after a warm-up) or after an easy run, when you're still fresh. Strides for a distance runner are analogous to starting block drills or plyometrics for a sprinter or hurdle drills for a hurdler. It's about making fast movements efficient. Thus, doing strides after an interval workout that causes a large amount of fatigue defeats the purpose of the strides. When you're fatigued, stride length naturally decreases. Any neuromuscular or power training requires greater recovery than endurance or metabolic training; thus, you should take full recovery between strides. Taking only a few seconds of
      recovery between strides introduces a metabolic demand. Making strides too long also introduces a metabolic demand, so strides should not be longer than about 25 seconds, otherwise you will start to cause acidosis.
      When running strides, aim for a fast, smooth feeling. Don't press to go fast--they should not feel like intervals. Rather, relax and focus on moving your legs quickly through the running cycle to increase stride rate, and (more importantly) extending your legs behind you from the hip to increase stride length. Take as much time as you need between each one to feel recovered. Try to do strides on the track; if you can't get to the track, find a flat stretch of road or other firm footing.
      Want to know more about organizing the components of your training program? My popular DVD--"Chasing Mercury, Battling Hercules: Getting Fitter and Stronger with Periodization Training"--provides an overview of training theory, reviews research findings, discusses the use of training cycles, and provides examples of how to properly organize all of the components of training. To order a DVD, just go to http://www.runcoachjason.com/merchandise.
      * Coaching Consultations
      Are you having trouble meeting your running and fitness goals?Do you coach other runners and want to know how to improve theirperformances? RunCoachJason.com can help. We offer the best consultations for runners, coaches, and personal trainers. If you want to improve your running performance, or you want the opportunity to have your fitness and running questions answered immediately, you can talk to Coach Jason live. For a list of consultation topics and to book a consultation with Coach Jason,
      go to http://www.runcoachjason.com/consulting.
      To view past newsletters go to: http://www.runcoachjason.com/newsletter
      Copyright Jason Karp All Rights Reserved - http://www.runcoachjason.com

      12. Heart Muscle Renewed Over Lifetime, Study Finds:
      In a finding that may open new approaches to treating heart disease, Swedish scientists have succeeded in measuring a highly controversial property of the human heart — the rate at which its muscle cells are renewed during a person’s lifetime.
      The finding upturns what has long been conventional wisdom: that the heart cannot produce new muscle cells and so people die with the same heart they were born with.
      About 1 percent of the heart muscle cells are replaced every year at age 25, and that rate gradually falls to less than half a percent per year by age 75, concludes a team of researchers led by Dr. Jonas Frisen of the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm. The upshot is that about half of the heart’s muscle cells are exchanged in the course of a normal lifetime, the Swedish group calculates. Their results are to be published Friday in the journal Science.
      “I think this will be one of the most important papers in cardiovascular medicine in years,” said Dr. Charles Murry, a heart researcher at the University of Washington in Seattle. “It helps settle a longstanding controversy about whether the human heart has any ability to regenerate itself.”
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/03/science/03heart.html?_r=1&ref=health

      13. Run Softly, Naturally:
      Can a Gait Makeover Improve Your Running?
      For years, running coaches and elite athletes have preached that good running form is the key to efficient running and faster times.
      Now the concept of running "naturally" and hitting the ground on your midfoot instead of your heel is being advanced by university studies, biomechanists, stride gurus and shoe companies as a highly efficient way to run and prevent common running injuries.
      Many longtime runners are hesitant to tweak their form, especially if they're skeptical about falling for what they might consider a fad. But the basis of natural form or midfoot running gaits has been around for decades, much of it derived from the super-efficient form elite runners have been employing for years.
      "It's not new, it's just that most runners have either gone away from what they used to do or they were never taught the proper way to run in the first place," says Malcolm Balk, a Montreal-based running coach, form guru and competitive masters runner who teaches The Art of Running workshops in Canada and the United Kingdom.
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=15751

      14. Dr. Mirkin's Fitness & Health eZine:
      * Study Finds Eating Red Meat Contributes to Risk of Early Death
      A study of more than 500,000 Americans over 40 shows that those who consume the equivalent of at least a hamburger a day have a 30 percent increased chance of dying during the next 10 years, mostly from heart disease and cancer. Cold cuts, sausage and other processed meats also increased the risk (Archives of Internal Medicine, March 2009). This agrees with many other studies showing that eating meat from mammals is associated with increased risk for heart attacks, arthritis, and several types of cancer. The study found that eating fish, chicken, turkey and other poultry decreased the risk of premature death.
      Most authorities still attribute the high mortality in meat eaters to the saturated fats and cholesterol in meat. This makes little sense since 1) poultry is also a rich source of saturated fats and does not increase premature death, cancer or heart attacks; 2) people who eat a diet rich is saturated fats from palm, palm kernel and coconut oils are not at increased risk for premature death; and 3) eggs and shell fish are extremely rich sources of cholesterol and they are not associated with premature death. I believe that the most likely explanation for the increased risk for heart attacks and premature death in meat eaters is inflammation from the glycoprotein Neu5Gc; see
      http://www.drmirkin.com/public/ezine110908.html
      http://www.drmirkin.com/public/ezine111608.html
      * Piriformis Syndrome
      If it hurts to touch a point that's in the middle of one side of your buttocks, you probably have piriformis syndrome. This chronic condition is very difficult to diagnose, because other injuries may produce exactly the same symptoms. Similar pain may be the result of an injury to bones, muscles, tendons, bursae (pads between the tendons and bones), the hip joint, or the sciatic nerve, but there are ways to determine from which condition you might be suffering.
      If you feel most pain when you land after hopping on one leg, you might have an injured hip joint or a stress fracture in your pelvis or upper leg bones. An x-ray will usually reveal a joint injury, but only a bone scan will reveal a stress fracture.
      If you feel pain in your buttocks, particularly when you touch your toes while keeping your knees straight, you might have a tear in the large muscles or tendons that run down the back of your hips.
      If you feel pain when you touch a spot that's either on the lowest point of your pelvis (the part that touches a chair when you sit) or at the top of your femur (thigh), you might have injured your bursae (bursitis) or torn the tendons that are attached to bones at these sites.
      If your back hurts, particularly when you bend backwards, and the pain goes down the back of your leg to below your knees, your sciatic nerve is probably being pinched in your back.
      Cause: The sciatic nerve is the longest nerve in your body. It starts on the lower part of your spine, [passes through a hole between the piriformis muscle above it and several other muscles beneath it, and goes down the back of your leg to below the knee. When you run, the piriformis muscle contracts and squeezes the sciatic nerve underneath it. Repeatedly squeezing and relaxing the piriformis muscle can damage the sciatic nerve and cause pain. This injury is thought to be caused by an innate tightness of the piriformis muscle or a structural abnormality in the path of the sciatic nerve. It can't be attributed to a specific error in training.
      Treatment: Priformis syndrome won't ease until you stop running. Don't run again until you can run without feeling pain in your buttocks. If it hurts to touch, it hasn't healed.
      In most cases, pedaling a bicycle will also be painful. You probably shouldn't do any exercise that causes you to bend at the hip while keeping your knees straight, because this will stretch the sciatic nerve. You might be able to swim, if it isn't painful. Medication doesn't usually alleviate the pain, and even if it does, the pain will return as soon as you stop taking it.
      Sometimes, the pain will disappear after a rest of a few days to several months; frequently it does not. In this case your doctor will be able to make an accurate diagnosis by injecting a mixture of xylocaine and corticosteroid drugs directly into the piriformis muscle where it passes over the sciatic nerve. If the pain disappears, you may resume running only after a few weeks, but remember that this injury tends to recur. If you feel pain in that area, stop running immediately, and don't attempt to run again until you can do so without pain.
      * Dear Dr. Mirkin: Is caffeine safe when I exercise in hot weather?
      Just about everyone agrees that caffeine can help you exercise intensely longer, but a major concern was that it could raise body temperature and increase urination to harm
      performance in the heat. However, in one study doses of caffeine as high as 420 mg did not raise body temperature in the heat and did not impair hot-weather performance because it is not a diuretic during exercise (Exercise and Sport Sciences Reviews, March 2009). That's four cups of coffee or eight soft drinks. However, caffeine is a stimulant that can harm people with irregular heart beats, blocked coronary arteries, high blood pressure, and other conditions that you may not know you have.
      When you compete in endurance events that last more than an hour, you go at the fastest pace that allows enough oxygen to reach your muscles to prevent a large build up of lactic
      acid. However, when your muscles start to run out of their stored sugar, you burn more fat which requires more oxygen and you slow down for the same effort. So anything that preserves your muscle sugar during competition will give you greater endurance. Caffeine causes your muscles to burn more fat and therefore preserve the stored muscles sugar, so it allows you to move very fast for a longer period of time. That's why the vast majority of cyclists in races such as the Tour de France use caffeine.
      * Should You Drink Milk and Eat Dairy Products?
      In this month's issue of the American Journal of Clinical
      Nutrition is a debate on whether milk causes cancer, heart attacks and a shortened life span (March 25, 2009). Dr. Amy Lanou of the University of North Carolina in Asheville, NC, writes that you don't need milk to be healthy. There is little evidence that the calcium in milk prevents osteoporosis. Osteoporotic bone fracture rates are highest in countries that consume the most dairy products, and most studies of fracture risk provide no evidence that dairy products benefit bone. But Dr. Connie Weaver of Purdue University claims that studies show that dairy products are associated with reduced risk of stroke, metabolic syndrome, and some cancers. She does admit that dairy products can elevate blood levels of insulin-like growth factor (a cancer promoter), and that the high calcium content of milk can reduce blood levels of active 1,25 dihydroxy vitamin D (a cancer preventer).
      The issue is far from settled. Extensive theoretical evidence shows that whole milk dairy products are full of saturated fat and cholesterol that may increase risk for heart attacks. We do not know if dairy products really increase cancer risk.
      Professor Ajit Varki, of U Cal/San Diego, proposes a theory to explain why eating meat, which contains Neu5Gc, increases risk for cancers, heart attacks and arthritis. If his theory is correct, dairy products should also be linked to these diseases because milk also contains Neu5Gc, although in much smaller amounts (meat has seven times more Neu5Gc than dairy products). More on this at http://www.drmirkin.com/public/ezine110908.html
      http://www.drmirkin.com/public/ezine111608.html
      http://www.drmirkin.com/public/ezine111608.html
      From Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine at:
      http://www.drmirkin.com

      15. Digest Briefs:
      * Vitamin D Pills May Prevent Fractures in Older Adults
      Vitamin D supplements may help prevent fractures in people over 65, provided they take enough of the right kind. A new review of clinical trials appears to show a strong dose-dependent effect for vitamin D in lowering the risk for nonvertebral fractures in the elderly.
      The lead author of the analysis, Heike A. Bischoff-Ferrari, a professor of medicine at the University of Zurich, said that “vitamin D in a high enough dose is not only beneficial in the frail older population, but it also works in those still living at home and able to take care of themselves.”
      The researchers, writing in the March 23 issue of The Archives of Internal Medicine, reviewed 12 randomized trials that together included more than 65,000 subjects. Doses under 400 international units a day had no discernible effect, but for doses larger than that, the pooled data showed a 20 percent reduction in the risk for all nonvertebral fractures, and an 18 percent reduction for broken hips.
      The type of vitamin D made a difference. The effect of vitamin D3 was significant, with a 23 percent risk reduction, but there was no significant reduction with vitamin D2. The authors suggest that D3 is more effective in maintaining blood levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D, the active form that the supplement takes in the body.
      * Sleep for Optimal Recovery
      By Jason Gootman, USAT Certified Coach
      Sleep is a critical aspect of health and one of the most important aspect of recovery from your workouts. Aim for as much sleep as you can get. Six hours is the minimum effective amount of sleep for an endurance athlete in heavy training. Eight to nine hours is ideal for most athletes.
      Jason Gootman, MS, CSCS, is the co-director of Tri-Hard Endurance Sports Coaching, a USA Triathlon Certified Coach and a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist. Visit his website at www.tri-hard.com.
      * More Energy for Your Workouts .
      Focus on combining a good source of lean protein, healthy fat and fruits/vegetables together for your meals and snacks.
      Whole grains should be used sparingly right now if you are in your prep/base season, especiall<br/><br/>(Message over 64 KB, truncated)