Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest - March 6, 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2009
      A FREE WEEKLY E-ZINE OF MULTISPORT RELATED ARTICLES. The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is a weekly e-zine dealing with the
      sports of running and triathlon and general fitness and health issues. The opinions expressed in the articles referenced by the
      Digest are the opinions of the writers and not necessarily those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at
      http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out our daily news, features, polls, trivia, bulletin
      boards and more. General questions should be posted to one of our forums available from our FrontPage.

      1. Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women - Canada's Fastest Women's 5K
      Emilie's Run is over for another year. Almost 300 women completed the race with 38 women running under 20:00
      The 2009 race will be run on June 20th.
      For more on the race visit the website at:
      http://www.emiliesrun.com.
      **Register before March 15, 2009 and get a 10% discount**

      3. Road Runner Sports, the world's largest running store at:

      4. Toronto Waterfront Marathon, September 27, 2009
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/STWM_Transporter.html

      5. Goodlife Fitness Toronto Marathon - October 18, 2009
      Register before the end of this month for the Marathon, Half Marathon, or 5k and save $$. Fees increase March 1st!
      http://www.torontomarathon.com/

      6. Training Peaks Training Peaks, LLC is dedicated to the endurance athlete and coach. With our industry leading software products,
      we're committed to help you monitor, analyze and plan your training. We encourage you to draw on our passion for excellence to help
      you reach your athletic dreams. Trusted by thousands. Dedicated to you.
      http://www.trainingpeaks.com/

      7. January 4, 2008: Goodlife Fitness has come on board as a sponsor of Emilie's Run GoodLife Fitness - Coed or Women's Only Visit
      www.GoodLifeFitness.com today to receive 3 FREE Visits! Your 3 FREE visits include: . A Visual Fitness Planner Consultation . Fit
      Fix Orientation to learn how to exercise safely and effectively . Access to all cardio and strength-training equipment . Access to
      all of our world-class Group EXercise classes . A copy of Living the Good Life audio CD Get started today! Visit
      www.GoodLifeFitness.com Limited time offer.

      8. iRun Magazine
      More than a million Canadians are runners, making it this country's most popular recreational and fitness activity. Canadians run
      for exercise and we run to raise money for important causes. We run alone and in groups. And every year, hundreds of thousands of us
      participate in organized races, from fun runs to marathons, which are growing steadily.
      Until now, Canadian runners haven't had our own running magazine. But now, there's iRun, providing a uniquely Canadian perspective
      on the activity and the sport. Published six times a year, iRun educates, informs and inspires Canadian runners.
      The Team
      Mark Sutcliffe, Publisher and Editor
      Mark has more than 20 years of experience in the Canadian media business. An avid runner, he has completed five marathons and 10
      half-marathons. He writes a popular weekly column on running in the Ottawa Citizen and co-hosts The Running Show every week on The
      Team 1200 radio. Mark is the former Executive Editor of the Ottawa Citizen and has also launched several publications, including the
      Ottawa Business Journal, now in its second decade, and the Kitchissippi Times, a successful community newspaper in Ottawa. His
      writing has appeared across the country in daily newspapers, and magazines like Macleans and Canadian Business.
      Ray Zahab, Contributing Editor
      Ray Zahab is Canada's most renowned ultramarathon runner. A former pack-a-day smoker, Ray transformed his life by becoming a
      successful long-distance runner, winning some of the world's most challenging foot races. Beginning in November 2006, Ray and two
      other runners ran across the Sahara Desert in 111 days, averaging 70 kilometres per day without a single day's rest. Ray is an
      accomplished public speaker, writes regularly about running and coaches athletes striving to achieve their own goals.
      Distribution
      iRun is Canada's highest-circulation and most popular running magazine. With a total distribution of 50,000 and more than 9,000
      subscribers, iRun is leading the market in the rapidly growing and highly desirable demographic of Canadian runners.
      http://www.irun.ca/

      10. Mi-Sport - The Ultimate Sports MP3 Player Introducing the world's first and only waterproof and wireless sports mp3 player.
      These Mi-SPORT mp3 headphones have a 1GB memory built into a cool neckband design. At last no wire tangle and no earbuds to fall
      out. The patented design makes this waterproof/sweatproof mp3 player great for running, cycling and gym work. The player however is
      more than splash proof! It can be completely submerged with no harm to it making it perfect for swimming, kayaking, and water
      skiing. Now incorporating the latest 3D music quality with it's adapted waterproof speaker. Relax to music in the bath, or push out
      that training session with no fear of losing your player or tangling the wires. Circuit training is so much easier with your own
      music. Enjoy the waves wire-free. This is the only waterproof pair of classic headphones with a built in mp3 player in the world.
      The stylish looking headphones play the usual MP3, WMA and WAV formats and are compatible with Windows98/98SE/2000/XP and Apple MAC.
      Depending on track length, the headphones hold well over 14 hours worth of music and the rechargeable battery life is about 8 hours.
      Nick Matthew, the 2006 British Open squash champion now uses the player to train with and Mi-SPORT are endeavouring to encourage
      more athletes to enjoy the benefits of training to wire-free music, podcasts or coaching aids. Inspiration and freedom at last, for
      athletes and exercise enthusiasts everywhere.
      Check it out at: http://www.mi-sportmp3.com/

      ASSOCIATIONS:
      The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional Organization for the Running Industry.
      http://www.runningusa.org/

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS: Check the "New Subscribers' note at the bottom of the newsletter

      Add the Runner's Web News feed to your site through a simple JavaScript. Check out OnTri.com's implementation at:
      http://www.ontri.com/runnersweb.html
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is now available

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet Explorer from the link on our FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com . We have added a button for Lauren Groves, Triathlete.

      If anyone is looking for a web mail provider, you might wish to consider Google's GMail. You can now sign up for free Gmail at
      Google WITHOUT AN INVITATION at: www.gmail.com

      The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women - June 20, 2009
      Register before March 15, 2009 and get a 10% discount.
      http://www,emiliesrun.com

      Event directors, add your event to our Event Calendar at:
      http://runnersweb.mhsoftware.com/

      Watch live and webcast of Track and Field and Road races on Universal Sports
      Sign up at:
      http://www.universalsports.com//SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23000&KEY=&SPID=13055&SPSID=105551

      I've created a Runner's Web Group on Facebook. To join the Runner's Web Facebook group, if you are not a member of Facebook, you

      mailto:webmaster@... or leave your comments in one of our Forums at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/forum.html or from our FrontPage.

      We have 2,484 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe at:

      ROAD RUNNER SPORTS
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/Mobile_RRS.html

      * BREAKSWEAT.TV
      We have partnered with Breaksweat TV to provide us with video content.
      Simply Sports Media is part of a large group called Simply Media, which operates more than 25 digital TV channels, including 6 on
      satellite and cable. Simply Media has developed and continues to expand on premium content for TV, web, mobile, captive Audience
      Networks, and IPTV.
      Breaksweat.tv was recently launched to provide instant access to premium video content covering outdoor sports. The innovative
      online channel uses a system called, Brightcove to continually and seamlessly deliver content to its users, whilst providing
      easy-to-use navigation.
      Breaksweat TV is not a user generated website, or a broadcasting channel; rather it is a platform used to host Breaksweat.tv's
      independently produced video content, and content it obtains from key relationships in the outdoor sports industry. By applying this
      strategy to supply content for its viewers, SnowZone.tv is able to showcase video content that is unique, high-quality, and
      continuous filled with updated material.
      For more information and to visit other existing channels in the Simply Media network, please visit:
      http://www.simply.tv/

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey. Sheila is one of Ottawa's top multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C
      Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public Health and works in the field of nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the
      University of California, San Diego. Her column index is available at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/SK_index.html

      * Carmichael Training Systems Carmichael Training Systems was founded in 1999 by Chris Carmichael. From the beginning, the mission
      of the company has been to improve the lives of individuals we work with through the application of proper and effective fitness and
      competitive training techniques. Whether your focus is recreational, advanced, or you are a professional racer, the coaching
      methodology employed by CTS will make you a better athlete. Check the latest monthly column from CTS at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/cts_columns.html.
      Carmichael Training Systems at:
      http://www.trainright.com/promos.asp?code=DSBYBFCSP

      * Peak Running Performance Peak Running Is The Nation's Most Advanced Running Newsletter. Rated as the #1 Running Publication by
      Road Runner Sports (Worlds Largest Running Store) , Peak Running caters to the serious / dedicated runner. Delivering world class
      running advice are some of running's most recognizable athletes including Dr. Joe Vigil (US Olympic Coach), Scott Tinley (2 Time
      Ironman Champ) Steve Scott (3 Time Olympian) and many more. This bi-monthly newsletter has been around for over 13 years, and in the
      past two it has been awarded the "Golden Shoe Award" in recognition of it's outstanding achievements.

      * Running Research News: RRN's free, weekly, training update provides subscribers with the most-current, practical, scientifically
      based information about training, sports nutrition, injury prevention, and injury rehabilitation. The purpose of this weekly e-zine
      is to improve subscribers' training quality and to help them train in an injury-free manner. Running Research News also publishes a
      complete, 12-page, electronic newsletter 10 times a year (one-year subscriptions are $35); to learn more about Running Research
      News, please see the Online Article Index and "About Running Research News" sections below or go to RRNews.com. Check out the
      article index at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RRN_index.html

      community. We have NO personal postings this week.

      THIS WEEK'S DIGEST ARTICLE INDEX:

      1. How to Train Smarter and Run Faster
      2. Workout for breathing muscles may aid some athletes
      3. Food for running
      The foods which you should eat when exercising regularly.
      4. Iliotibial Band Injuries
      5. VO2max - The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com
      6. Postpartum Depression
      7. Good or Useless, Medical Scans Cost the Same
      8. Building Strong Bones: Running May Provide More Benefits Than Resistance Training, Study Finds
      9. Ask the Expert: At What Age Should You Run Your First Marathon?
      10. Part II of the Audio Interview with Canadian Olympian Gary Reed
      11. Ironman Nutrition research site
      12. This Week in Running
      13. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine
      14. Health Campaigns That Promote Exercise May Cause People To Eat More
      15. Running Form: How Should You Run?

      RUNNER'S WEB WEEKLY POLL:
      "What was/were the greatest running achievement(s) of all time?"
      Emil Zatopek wins the 5K, 10K and Marathon at the 1952 Olympics
      Roger Bannister breaks 4 minutes for the mile
      Abebe Bikila wins the 1960 and 1964 Olympic Marathons
      Lasse Viren wins the 5K and 10K in 1972 and 1976 Olympics
      Flo Jo runs 10.49 in the 1988 U.S. Olympic Trials
      Joan Samuelson wins the first Women's Olympic Marathon
      Michael Johnson runs 19.32 in the 1996 Olympics
      Usain Bolt runs world records of 9.69 and 19.30 in the Beijing Olympics
      Other (email polls2009@...)

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage ( http://www.runnersweb.com) as well as checking the results of previous polls.

      LAST WEEK'S POLL RESULTS:
      "Which of the following do you use frequently pre, during and post exercise - training and/or competing?
      Answers Percent
      1. Beer 17%
      2. Energy Bars 15%
      3. Energy Gels 14%
      4. Sports drinks 21%
      5. Water 21%
      6. Other 12%

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE MONTH: MileSplit.us
      The Nations' Premier High School T&F/XC Network.
      MileSplit US is the nation's premier network for high school track & field and cross country. We believe that the heart of the sport
      is on a local, grassroots level. By facilitating the publishing and business process for our state webmasters, we are able to
      provide in depth state-by-state coverage of the sport. At the same time, these state portals feed content into a national database
      allowing us to provide an unprecedented depth of coverage on the national level as well.
      Designed around powerful proprietary database software that unites all of the important aspects of covering the sport--results,
      rankings, articles, videos, photos, podcasts, statistics, etc--MileSplit US is the only online publisher in the sport with the tools
      to provide a high level of timely and comprehensive nationwide coverage.
      MileSplit was founded in 2000 by then college sophomore Jason Byrne. It has continued to grow over the years, incorporating and
      adding Don Rich and Fred Finke to the corporate team in 2004. MileSplit has a partnership with Universal Sports (formerly WCSN),
      which serves as its sales team for its national advertising inventory.
      MileSplit, Inc. is a privately held Florida corporation. Its primary offices and datacenter are located in Greater Orlando, Florida.
      Additional servers are located just outside of New York City. MileSplit has a team of staff and affiliates located around the
      country. We encourage your questions, sponsorship and investment inquiries.
      Visit the website at:
      http://www.milesplit.us

      BOOK/VIDEO/MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Out of Nowhere: The Inside Story of How Nike Marketed the Culture of Running
      By Geoff Hollister
      How does a boy from a small Oregon farm town get swept up in the politics of his chosen sport? Out of Nowhere takes the reader along
      on Geoff Hollister's 33 year journey at the center of Nike, the company that would change not only the world of athletic shoes and
      apparel but the business of sport itself.
      Nike began with a handshake and a few hundred dollars passed between Phil Knight and legendary track coach Bill Bowerman. Hollister
      was coached by him at the University of Oregon and was Bowerman's pick as Nike's third employee. Before he had even graduated
      Hollister began selling shoes out of the trunk of his car for Blue Ribbon Sports, the company that became Nike.
      Out of Nowhere provides an inside look for the entrepreneur, from someone who experienced the humble beginnings, lived and breathed
      the first 33 years of Nike, now the largest sports and fitness company in the world. Hollister takes you on the rollercoaster ride
      of success and failure.
      Buy the book from Amazon at:
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/184126234X/runnersweb/102-0182896-9006569?v=glance&s=books

      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html and http://www.runnersweb.com/running/amazon.html

      THIS WEEK'S FEATURES:

      1. How to Train Smarter and Run Faster:
      When you set yourself a goal to complete a particular event or do a particular time for a given distance, it is not just about
      getting yourself to peak physical fitness to compete in the event. There is another side to completing your goal.
      Have you ever watched somebody doing a race? I have seen so many people miss their time goal because of poor pacing; aiming to break
      25 minutes for 5km for example, by doing the first kilometer in 4:30, and then quickly fading because they spend their energy too
      early.
      Then there are injuries. Injuries don't just happen. They are generally a result of poor training technique or lack of recovery,
      stability and flexibility.
      This article will hopefully give a head start to all beginning runners, and even answer some of those mysteries for the so called
      experienced runner.
      Basic Training Principles
      General coaching or training principles are divided into 5 basic rules. While these rules do not provide all the answers, they do
      provide a solid base
      knowledge that will help all runners when applied correctly.
      More...from TriFuel at:
      http://www.trifuel.com/training/run/how-to-train-smarter-and-run-faster

      2. Workout for breathing muscles may aid some athletes:
      Some athletes may be able to boost their performance by working out the muscles that control breathing, a small study suggests.
      The study, of 27 college soccer players, found that five weeks of respiratory muscle training improved the athletes' "intermittent"
      exercise performance -- those short bursts of intense effort needed in sports like soccer, basketball and field hockey.
      The athletes worked their breathing muscles using a device called a respiratory muscle trainer, which applies resistance as the user
      inhales through a valve. This essentially makes the respiratory muscles work harder and become stronger.
      Past studies have found that the devices can help people with heart failure or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease breathe easier.
      The training has also been studied as a way to enhance athletic performance in endurance sports like rowing and cycling.
      More...from Reuters at:
      http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSTRE51Q4ZJ20090227

      3. Food for running:
      The foods which you should eat when exercising regularly.
      If you are exercising regularly, it is important to eat plenty of carbohydrates, which provide muscle fuel. Even before a gentle
      morning jog, have a cereal bar to give you a little lift, followed by a small, carb-based breakfast once you return.
      Before a big race eat a slice of bread with a teaspoon of jam, a large banana, a handful of raisins or a 400ml isotonic sports
      drink. During a marathon you will benefit from topping up with isotonic drinks at intervals throughout the race.
      A 30-minute jog each day does not mean that you have to consume more calories. Experts suggest that runners who were previously
      minimally active need to increase their intake by only 100-200 calories a day.
      Eat too much, and you will still gain weight.
      From Times Online at:
      http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/diet_and_fitness/article5816470.ece

      4. Iliotibial Band Injuries:
      Tightness along your iliotibial band is one of the main sources of knee pain from running. As your ITB is a long muscle it can be
      difficult to work out where the problem is. Here we offer possible causes, symptoms, treatment and stretches.
      What is it?
      The Iliotibial Band (ITB) is the muscle that runs from the outside of your pelvis, over the hip, down the outside of your quadricep,
      crossing your knee to attach to the tibia just below your knee. The ITB stabilizes your knee while you run.
      Symptoms:
      ~Pain on the outside of your knee.
      ~Pain just above or below your knee joint.
      ~Tightness and pain along the outside of your leg from your hip to
      ~your knee.
      ~If you're unsure, it's wise to seek a professional diagnosis.
      Possible Causes:
      ~Not warming up or cooling down properly.
      ~Sudden increase in your mileage, speed or hills.
      ~Running on cambered roads, running bends on the track (especially indoor tracks) or running down hills.
      ~Too much stair training.
      ~Not stretching your ITB.
      ~Tight hips and quadriceps.
      ~Shoes that are worn out or don't provide enough support.
      ~Structural problems e.g. over supination (rolling outwards).
      More...from WomenRunningTogether.com at:
      http://www.women-running-together.com/iliotibialband.html

      5. VO2max - The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com:
      * 3K to 10K Fatigue
      Continuing with our discussion of fatigue, this month we examine the 3K to 10K.
      Races between 3K and 10K are primarily aerobic. So, limitations in aerobic metabolism, due to inadequate blood flow to and oxygen
      use by the muscles, are the major causes of fatigue. However, since any race that is run faster than lactate threshold pace
      includes a significant anaerobic contribution, metabolic acidosis and accumulation of metabolites also contribute to fatigue in
      these longer distances because they are run faster than lactate threshold pace. That's why it's important to also do anaerobic work
      for these longer distances.
      To combat fatigue in the 3K to 10K, you need to do relatively high mileage, tempo runs, and both long and short intervals. While
      both the low and high ends of this racing range require all of these types of training, what differentiates the training between the
      3K and 10K is how much emphasis you give to each. The 10K necessitates more mileage, tempo runs, and long intervals than does the
      3K.
      Long intervals (3 to 5 minutes) increase your heart's stroke volume and cardiac output, sending more blood and oxygen to your
      muscles and increasing your VO2max. You should come close to reaching your maximum heart rate by the end of each work period.
      Research has shown that high-intensity training (95 to 100% VO2max) is the optimal stimulus
      for VO2max improvement. Try 4 x 1,000 meters or 6 x 800 meters at VO2max speed (about 2-mile race pace for good runners) with equal
      (or slightly less than equal) time as recovery. Short intervals (45 seconds to about 2 minutes) improve your ability to buffer
      acidosis and increase anaerobic capacity by increasing the number of enzymes involved in glycolysis. Try 6 to 8 x 400 meters at
      mile race pace with equal time as recovery or 2 sets of 4 x 300 meters at 800-meter race pace with double the time as recovery and 5
      minutes recovery between sets.
      Tempo runs improve your lactate threshold, the fastest speed you can sustain aerobically and above which fatigue-inducing acidosis
      occurs. Increasing your lactate threshold pace allows you to run faster before you fatigue because it allows you to run faster
      before oxygen-independent metabolism begins to play a significant role. Try 3 to 4 miles at lactate threshold pace (about 10 to 15
      seconds per mile slower than 5K race pace or about 10K race pace for recreational runners, and about 25 to 30 seconds per mile
      slower than 5K race pace or about 15 to 20 seconds per mile slower than 10K race pace for highly trained runners) or 5 x 1 mile at
      lactate threshold pace with 1 minute rest.
      * Signals
      How much you adapt to a training stimulus, whether running or lifting weights, ultimately depends on how responsive your cells are
      to signals. Muscle cells are able to detect all kinds of signals: mechanical, metabolic, neural, and hormonal, which are amplified
      and transmitted via signaling cascades and lead to the events involved in gene expression. This signaling is fast, occurring within
      minutes of completing a workout. Signaling results in the activation of transcription factors, proteins that bind to a specific
      part of DNA and control the transfer of genetic information from DNA to RNA.
      Many of the physiological and biochemical adaptations to training begin with your DNA, with the copying of one of its double helical
      strands (a process called replication). The replicated DNA strand, under the action of transcription factors, is then transcribed
      into messenger RNA (a process called transcription), and the messenger RNA is then translated into a protein (a process called
      translation). Finally, the protein is transported from the nucleus of the cell where transcription and translation occur to the
      place where it will function.
      While a single bout of exercise alone, especially if it is new to you, introduces a specific signal and activation of transcription
      factors, repeated bouts of exercise will lead to a concerted accumulation of messenger RNAs that can be translated into a host of
      structural and functional proteins. In the case of endurance training, the accumulation of proteins is manifested, for example, as
      an increase in the number of mitochondria, the microscopic energy factories responsible for aerobic metabolism.
      When you begin a training program, you will experience many signaling responses and subsequent adaptations. However, continual
      training at the same level decreases the exercise-specific signaling responses involved in the adaptations to training. In other
      words, if your training stays the same, you can expect your fitness level to stay the same. For example, if you run 10 miles when
      you're used to running only 7, you will send a strong signal to make specific adaptations (increase in mitochondria, muscle glycogen
      content, etc.). If you continue to run 10 miles every Sunday for a period of time, you'll continue to send signals to make
      adaptations until those adaptations are fully realized. After you have run 10 miles so many times that you have become habituated
      to it, a 10-mile run will no longer be enough of a stimulus to initiate any further adaptations. Therefore, if you want to force
      more adaptations, you must run longer than 10 miles. To become a faster runner, you have to gradually and systematically increase
      the amount of stress so that you increase the signaling response.
      Want to know more about signals and how to increase the amount of stress? My popular DVD--"Chasing Mercury, Battling Hercules:
      Getting Fitter and Stronger with Periodization Training"--provides an overview of training theory, reviews research findings,
      discusses the use of training cycles, and provides examples of how to properly organize all of the components of training. To order
      a DVD, just go to http://www.runcoachjason.com/merchandise.
      To view past newsletters go to: http://www.runcoachjason.com/newsletter
      Copyright Jason Karp All Rights Reserved - http://www.runcoachjason.com

      6. Postpartum Depression:
      Postpartum depression (PPD) is a real illness caused by changes in biology, psychology, environment and hormones. PPD is the most
      common complication of childbirth.
      ~You are not alone. PPD affects up to 20% of new mothers anytime in the first year after delivery.
      ~You are not to blame. PPD can affect any new mother regardless of age, race, income, education and/or marital status.
      ~You can feel better with help. PPD can be treated with self-help techniques, social support, counseling and medication when
      necessary.
      Women Experiencing Postpartum Depression Say:
      ~“This is supposed to be the happiest time in my life...why am I so miserable?”
      ~“I love my child, but I hate my life”
      ~“My marriage cannot survive this”
      ~“Having a baby was a mistake”
      ~“I feel like the worst mother in the world”
      ~“Everything would be better if I got a good night’s sleep”
      ~“Why can't I 'snap out of it'?”
      ~“I can't take it anymore!”
      ~“Why am I such a failure?”
      More...from StrollerStrides at:
      http://www.strollerstrides.com/postpartum_depression.php

      7. Good or Useless, Medical Scans Cost the Same:
      When Gail Kislevitz had an M.R.I. scan of her knee, it came back blurry, “uninterpretable,” her orthopedist told her.
      Her insurer refused to pay for another scan, but the doctor said he was sure she had torn cartilage that stabilizes the knee and
      suggested an operation to fix it. After the surgery, Ms. Kislevitz, 57, of Ridgewood, N.J., received a surprise: the cartilage had
      not been torn after all.
      She had a long rehabilitation. And her insurer paid for the operation. But her knee is no better.
      More than 95 million high-tech scans are done each year, and medical imaging, including CT, M.R.I. and PET scans, has ballooned into
      a $100-billion-a-year industry in the United States, with Medicare paying for $14 billion of that. But recent studies show that as
      many as 20 percent to 50 percent of the procedures should never have been done because their results did not help diagnose ailments
      or treat patients.
      “The system is just totally, totally broken,” said Dr. Vijay Rao, the chairwoman of the radiology department at Thomas Jefferson
      University Hospital, in Philadelphia.
      Radiologists say a decent M.R.I. scan should have clearly shown whether the cartilage in Ms. Kislevitz, a meniscus, was torn. But
      bad scans, medical experts say, are part of a growing problem with medical imaging.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/02/health/02scans.html?_r=1&ref=health

      8. Building Strong Bones: Running May Provide More Benefits Than Resistance Training, Study Finds:
      Osteoporosis affects more than 200 million people worldwide and is a serious public health concern, according to the National
      Osteoporosis Foundation. Resistance training often is recommended to increase and prevent loss of bone mineral density (BMD),
      although previous studies that examined the effects of resistance training in men produced varied results.
      Now, in a new study, University of Missouri researchers have found that high-impact activities, such as running, might have a
      greater positive effect on BMD than resistance training.
      “The results of the study confirm that both resistance training and high-impact endurance activities increase bone mineral density.
      However, high-impact sports, like running, appear to have a greater beneficial effect,” said Pam Hinton, associate professor in the
      Department of Nutrition and Exercise Physiology in the MU College of Human Environmental Sciences.
      According to the researchers, the true effects of weight-bearing or resistance exercise are only apparent when controlling for
      differences in body weight or composition. People who primarily perform non weight-bearing activities will benefit from resistance
      training that increases lean body mass, Hinton said. People who engage in activities, such as cycling, swimming, or rowing, should
      add bone-strengthening activities, such as resistance training or running, to their exercise regimens.
      More...from Science Daily at:
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/02/090227080005.htm

      9. Ask the Expert: At What Age Should You Run Your First Marathon?
      And What Age is Too Young?
      Q: At 19 years old, Julius Keter won the Baltimore Marathon in 2:11:56, and at 19 years old, Ilsa Paulson ran the New York City
      Marathon in 2:41:17. At what age should you run your first marathon? Are there risks or benefits from running a marathon at a young
      age? Should there be differences in marathon training because of your age? It would be interesting to know how young these two
      runners started running and racing, how they progressed with racing distances, and how they train. At what age do people start
      running and racing in Kenya versus the U.S., and how much does this effect how good they will be?
      -- Denise, Maryland
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=15622

      10. Part II of the Audio Interview with Canadian Olympian Gary Reed:
      Gary Reed, a two time Olympian, is one of the most successful Canadian track athletes in the sport today. He is the Canadian
      national record holder in the 800m with a time of 1:43:68 and is the first Canadian to break both the 1:45 and 1:44 barriers. Gary
      is the 2007 World Championships silver medalist and recently finished 4th at the Beijing Olympics. Gary is an exceptional role model
      for all Canadian athletes due to his incredible work ethic and dedication to the sport, and is the idol of many younger Canadian
      athletes in athletics.
      In part two, Gary discusses his training with world renowned endurance coach Wynn Gmitroski, and specifically the way that they
      train qualities such as maximal speed and strength. Furthermore, Gary reveals their general training philosophy including the
      structure of weekly plans and the control of the quality of work being done. He also answers questions concerning his implementation
      of therapy and nutrition into his training regime. To conclude the interview, Gary gives the listener a very clear picture as to
      maturation of his career and some of the difficulties he has had to overcome.
      Listen to the interview at:
      http://www.athleticscoaching.ca/?pid=1&spid=81

      11. Ironman Nutrition research site:
      By Robert Kunz, MS
      First Endurance, in cooperation with the Endurance Research Board, our Sponsored Pro Triathletes and our dedicated customer base is
      launching a new innovative approach to endurance nutrition. This site creates a cooperative knowledge base towards developing
      innovative nutritional approaches for endurance racing and training.
      On this site you can
      ~ Learn & participate in structured nutritional programs
      ~ Find answers to common and uncommon problems associated with the unique nutritional and biological demands of endurance sports
      such as:
      ~ Should I eat gluten-free?
      ~ What works for me before during and after training?
      ~ How do I stop cramps?
      ~ How much salt do I need?
      The goal of http://team.firstendurance.com is to have 100% of our members finish Ironman with no cramps, no bonk, and no gastric
      distress. This new website delivers an innovative approach to perfect Ironman nutrition by offering various nutritional programs
      that require member participation. Each program is based on an evidenced based nutritional theories where results can vary by
      individual.
      With this site you gain knowledge by implementing each nutritional program into your own training. In the end you will have a deep
      understanding of what works for you. This knowledge and testing will allow you to greatly increase the chances of finishing Ironman
      or any long distance race with no cramps, no bonk and no gastric distress.
      Other features on the site include forums, your own personalize page and access to our group of experts.
      Our Experts Pro Triathletes:
      Donna Phelan
      Michael Lovato
      Amanda Lovato
      Ryan Ignatz
      Sarah Haskins
      Becky Witinok-Huber
      Josiah Middaugh
      Julie Swail-Ertel
      Justin Park Our Expert Research Staff
      Bob Seebohar MS RD CSSD CSCS
      Neal Henderson MS CSCS
      Patricia Rosen MD MPH
      Shawn Dolan MA PhD
      Jeff Rocco MD
      Kris Walker MD
      Robert Kunz MS

      12. This Week in Running:
      10 Years Ago- Frank Pooe (RSA) won the RSA marathon title at the Old Mutual Capetown marathon with
      a time of 2:12:40. John Monyatso (RSA) and Joshua Peterson (RSA) followed with 2:13:00
      and 2:13:19 respectively. Gwen vanLingen won the RSA women's title with her 2:36:25.
      Angelina Sephooa (LES) was 2nd in 2:40:45 and Sarah Mahlangu (RSA) was 3rd in 2:41:53.
      20 Years Ago- The English men's crosscountry title was captured by David Lewis who had a 21 second
      margin over Steve Tunstall. Dion McNeilly (NIR) was 3rd, another four seconds back.
      Other notables included Eamonn Martin (4th), David Moorcroft (14th), Nick Rose (18th),
      and Steve Cram (83rd).
      30 Years Ago- Tom Fleming (USA) won the 20th edition of the Mike Hannon (NY/USA) 20M in 1:41:45.
      William Sieben (USA) and Peter Squires (USA) rounded out the top three with times of
      1:43:49 and 1:45:05 respectively. This race would have celebrated its 50th running
      this year except it seems to have died with the 2003 race (43rd running)
      40 Years Ago- Kenji Kimihara (JPN) won the 13th edition of the Kumanichi (JPN) 30K in 1:33:02.6.
      He was followed by compatriots Akio Yoshida (1:33:37.4) and Yoshinobu Kitayama
      (1:33:44.0).
      50 Years Ago- Browning Ross (USA) won the Married vs Single Men Crosscountry Match (NJ/USA) 12K
      but it is not known which team Browning ran for.
      From The Analytical Distance Runner, the newsletter for the Association of Road Racing Statisticians with a
      focus on races, 3000m and longer, including road, track, and cross-country events.

      13. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine:
      * Metabolic Syndrome Increases Salt's Effect on Blood Pressure
      Most doctors recommend salt restriction for all their patients, even though many will not develop high blood pressure from high-salt
      intake and some may even be harmed if they restrict salt. Heavy exercisers lose so much salt that they have to take in lots of salt
      just to replace what they lose through sweat.
      A study from China shows that people with metabolic syndrome are the ones who are most likely to develop high blood pressure from a
      high-salt diet and that high levels of insulin may cause the rise of blood pressure that is associated with increased salt intake
      (Lancet. published online March 2, 2009). Metabolic syndrome occurs when a person's cells lose their ability to respond adequately
      to insulin and blood levels of sugar rise too high. It is caused by eating too much refined carbohydrates, being overweight, not
      exercising, and lacking vitamin D and is characterized by storing fat primarily in the belly, having a thick neck, high blood
      triglycerides, low blood good HDL cholesterol, high blood sugar, and eventually liver damage and all the side effects of diabetes.
      People with metabolic syndrome had a greater rise in blood pressure with increased salt intake and drop in blood pressure with salt
      restriction. The more risk factors for metabolic syndrome a person had, the greater the rise and fall of blood pressure with
      changes in salt intake.
      If you are concerned about your blood pressure, you can buy an inexpensive wrist cuff and check your blood pressure at bedtime. If
      it is below 120, you do not need to restrict salt.
      If you store fat primarily in your belly rather than your hips, your HDL is below 40, your triglycerides are above 175, or you have
      a blood sugar above 100 two hours after a meal or an HBA1C above 5.9, you probably should restrict salt and definitelyshould work to
      correct the causes of metabolic syndrome (described above).
      * Follow-up on the controversy about bone loss in cyclists:
      Last week I quoted a study that concluded: "Sprint cyclists, and to a lesser extent distance cyclists, had greater tibia and radius
      bone strength surrogates than the controls, with
      tibial bone measures being well preserved with age in all groups. This suggests that competition-based cycling and the associated
      training regimen is beneficial in preserving average or above-average bone strength surrogates into old age in men" (Medicine &
      Science in Sports & Exercise, March 2009).
      Several readers responded, quoting other studies that showed competitive cyclists have lower bone mineral density in their spines
      than moderately-active, aged-matched men (Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, February 2009; Osteoporosis International
      Reports, August 2003). These studies have been interpreted to mean that cycling increases risk for bone fractures beyond what you
      would expect from just falling off the bike.
      I cannot find any studies showing that cycling weakens bones to increase fracture risk. Bone density is associated with bone
      strength, but does not measure it. The only way to measure bone strength is to see how much force it takes at break a bone. For
      example, birds have strong bones that are not very dense.
      The theory that the act of cycling weakens bones flies in the face of our current understanding of bone metabolism. If indeed
      cyclists suffer from weak bones (and I do not believe
      that they do), the cause would be something other than riding a bicycle. Bones are constantly remodeling.. Cells called
      osteoblasts bring in calcium to bones while cells called
      osteoclasts take calcium out. Any force on bones increases, and lack of force decreases, the rate of bone formation. Astronauts in
      space lose bone because lack of force blocks
      their ability to respond to Insulin Like Growth Factor-1 that stimulates bone growth (Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, March
      2004). All competitive cyclists know that hammering on the pedals while pulling up on their handle bars puts tremendous force on
      every muscle and bone in their bodies, and this should stimulate bone growth.
      From Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine at:
      http://www.drmirkin.com

      14. Health Campaigns That Promote Exercise May Cause People To Eat More:
      New research from the University of Illinois suggests that weight-loss campaigns that promote exercise may actually cause people to
      eat more.
      People who viewed posters suggesting that they "join a gym" or "take a walk" ate more food after looking at the posters than people
      who saw similarly designed posters prompting them to "make friends" or "be in a group," the researchers found.
      Subliminal words about being active had a similar effect on study participants, said psychology professor Dolores Albarracín, who
      led the research.
      "Viewers of the exercise messages ate significantly more (than their peers, who viewed other types of messages)," she said. "They
      ate one-third more when exposed to the exercise ads." Those exposed to subliminal words about activity during a computer task ate
      about 20 percent more than those exposed to neutral words, she said.
      The study, which appears in the journal Obesity, builds on previous research by Albarracín that suggests that general messages to be
      active can prompt people to behave in a variety of ways, some of which may have negative consequences.
      More...from Science Daily at:
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/02/090227112305.htm

      15. Running Form: How Should You Run?
      A key component to successful distance running is efficiency or economy of movement. It is common to focus on training the heart,
      lungs and legs when preparing for an event but training form is less common.
      Recently I was able watch some of the athletes I train complete the run portion of a Half Ironman Triathlon event and between the
      wind gusts, showers and hail, I had a chance to assess their run form. The athletes have all had plenty of swim technique training,
      in most cases bike technique training but only a handful had had any run technique training. Those that had, really stood out and in
      some cases their run times were very close to their run times in a straight Half Marathon which they completed a few months earlier.
      An increased level of fitness would account for some of this but also knowing how to run efficiently made a huge difference. The
      outcome of this observation was a Sunday afternoon technique and drill session for some of the athletes down at the local park.
      Good running form involves a mix of your body movements so that you move with optimal mechanical efficiency. Good form can decrease
      discomfort when you run, help prevent injury, increase speed as well as lower the energy output at a given speed. Below are the main
      points I look at when assessing an athletes form and the advice I give them.
      More...from TriFuel at:
      http://www.trifuel.com/training/run/running-form-how-should-you-run

      THIS WEEK'S FEATURED EVENTS:
      *Please verify event dates with the event websites available from our FrontPage (www.runnersweb.com)

      March 6-9, 2009:
      European Athletics Indoor Championships - Torino, Italy

      March 7, 2009:
      Ironman New Zealand - Taupo, NZ

      March 7-8, 2009:
      Inaugural Disney's Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Orlando, FL

      March 8, 2009:
      Harry's Spring Run-Off - Vancouver, BC

      March 10, 2009:
      Antarctica Marathon, King George Island

      June 20, 2009:
      Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women - Ottawa, ON
      **Register before January 31, 2009 and get a 15% discount**
      **Register before March 15, 2009 and get a 10% discount**

      August 15-23, 2009:
      World Athletics Championships - Berlin, Germany

      mailto:webmaster@... to notify us of the problem. To update your Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the
      web.

      Ken

      Ken Parker
      www.RunnersWeb.com
      mailto:kparker@...
      613-746-4053
      http://www.OACRacingTeam.com
      http://www.EmiliesRun.com

      RUNNER'S WEB AFFILIATE PROGRAMS:
      All revenue from advertisers and affiliate programs goes into the support of running and triathlon through sponsorship of events,
      teams, clinics and fund raising programs for Canada's Olympic athletes.

      XM Satellite Radio
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000021517490

      Puma
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000005110141&pubid=21000000000028567

      Champion
      http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=h1QosBYBFXw&offerid=113858.10000144&type=1&subid=0

      Nike
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000015009821

      Free Ground Shipping on Orders of $175 or More at Patagonia.com
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000012303508&pubid=21000000000028567

      Your very own personal trainer at a fraction of the cost
      http://www.cartville.com/app/?af=473063

      Check out TotalWellness's mp3 Personal Training Program - only 5% the Cost of Regular Personal Training!
      http://www.totalwellnessconsulting.ca/fitter_u_totalwellness.htm

      Buy Paula Radcliffe's book, My Story - So Far, from Amazon UK at:
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/074325242X/runnersweb-21

      Instant Stretching Routines
      Design unlimited stretching routines today, starting from scratch, in under 60 seconds!
      http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/cmd.php?af=245575&u=http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/newsletter.php

      ShoeWallet.com has set out on a mission to enable people to easily carry ID and medical information at all times. Basically, anyone
      who is out on the roads or trails needs a convenient place to carry this vital information.
      http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?joggerscompanion+pXgxpm+index.html+

      SportsShoes in the UK
      http://www.sportsshoes.com/index.php?id=149

      TriSwim Coach - The Complete Guide to Triathlon Swimming
      http://hop.clickbank.net/?rhianyth/triswim1

      If you have an accident while running or cycling, do you want your family to be contacted? Do you want to receive immediate and
      proper medical treatment?
      If so, make this cool item part of your gear -- for safety and peace of mind. Road ID has created 4 awesome ways for athletes to
      wear ID: the SHOE, the WRIST, the ANKLE, and the NECK. Get your RoadID at:
      http://www.roadid.com/?referrer=50

      The Stretching Handbook:
      http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/cmd.php?af=245575&u=http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/newsletter.php
      The Stretching Video in a DVD version. With the DVD version you're able to use the convenient menu facility to:
      * Go directly to a specific stretch;
      * View only stretches for a specific muscle group;
      * Pause each stretch to get a good look at how it is performed;
      * View only the introduction and rules for safe stretching; or
      * Play the entire video from start to finish.

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS:
      This newsletter has been composed using Outlook set to "Text" format. The Digest is sent via an email list at
      http://groups.yahoo.com.
      If you experience any delays in receiving your copy of the Digest, please advise us at:
      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for viruses.
      Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor (me) prior to being released to the group. If you have any questions regarding
      the options available for receiving this digest,
      mailto:Webmaster@...
      *NOTE*
      **[ Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two lines. If you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you paste
      the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or another appropriate suffix ].
      Note: An increasing number of media sites require free registration. If you wish to sign up for free access to sources for our
      articles without using your main email address we suggest the use of a mail alias program such as http://www.emailias.com.

      *** END OF RUNNER'S AND TRIATHLETE'S WEB DIGEST...***