Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest - October 3, 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3 3:03 AM
      A FREE WEEKLY E-ZINE OF MULTISPORT RELATED ARTICLES. The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is a weekly e-zine dealing with the
      sports of running and triathlon and general fitness and health issues. The opinions expressed in the articles referenced by the
      Digest are the opinions of the writers and not necessarily those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at
      http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out our daily news, features, polls, trivia, bulletin
      boards and more. General questions should be posted to one of our forums available from our FrontPage.

      1. Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women - Canada's Fastest Women's 5K
      Emilie's Run is over for another year. Almost 300 women completed the race with 38 women running under 20:00
      For more on the race visit the website at:
      http://www.emiliesrun.com.
      Join Emilie's Run Community and contribute at:
      http://groups-beta.google.com/group/emiliesrun?hl=en

      3. Road Runner Sports, the world's largest running store at:
      New Arrivals from Nike With Web Exclusive Apparel and More!

      4. Toronto Waterfront Marathon, September 28, 2008
      http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/

      5. Goodlife Fitness Toronto Marathon - October 19, 2008
      http://www.torontomarathon.com/

      6. Training Peaks Training Peaks, LLC is dedicated to the endurance athlete and coach. With our industry leading software products,
      we're committed to help you monitor, analyze and plan your training. We encourage you to draw on our passion for excellence to help
      you reach your athletic dreams. Trusted by thousands. Dedicated to you.
      http://www.trainingpeaks.com/

      7. Running Free Running Free is a complete online running store with everything for the casual to serious runner. They also have
      retail stores in the GTA (Toronto) and Markham. Check them out at:
      http://www.runningfree.com

      8. January 4, 2008: Goodlife Fitness has come on board as a sponsor of Emilie's Run GoodLife Fitness - Coed or Women's Only Visit
      www.GoodLifeFitness.com today to receive 3 FREE Visits! Your 3 FREE visits include: . A Visual Fitness Planner Consultation . Fit
      Fix Orientation to learn how to exercise safely and effectively . Access to all cardio and strength-training equipment . Access to
      all of our world-class Group EXercise classes . A copy of Living the Good Life audio CD Get started today! Visit
      www.GoodLifeFitness.com Limited time offer.

      9. Watch over 50 IAAF Events Live and On-Demand. World Championship Sports Network ABOUT WCSN World Championship Sports Network
      (WCSN) is the premier destination for fans of Olympic and lifestyle sports, delivering an immersive experience via exclusive live
      and on demand coverage of world class competitions, interaction with top athletes and in depth access to sports news and information
      year round. WCSN offers comprehensive coverage of over 60 sports disciplines, through exclusive long term programming agreements
      across a number of key International Federations and National Governing Bodies. Major championship events in sports ranging from
      Athletics (Track & Field), Skiing, Swimming, Gymnastics and Cycling to Volleyball, Karate and Taekwondo are featured online at
      http://tinyurl.com/ysnvnh and on television via WCSN's weekly syndicated television program, World Championship Sports, available in
      more than 45 million US households. WCSN also markets Olympic sports in partnership with International Federations, National
      Governing Bodies, local organizations, clubs, sponsors, and through related websites and publications. WCSN is dedicated to
      providing year round, in depth coverage of these important and exciting sports to reach millions of fans around the world for whom
      they represent a way of life. WCSN is committed to expanding the audience by delivering programming that exemplifies the best of the
      human spirit. WCSN enables fans to interact with world class champions as well as get to know the up and coming athletes through
      blogs, interviews and their broadcast commentary. Consistent with the world class caliber of the sports it celebrates, WCSN delivers
      high quality production values, leveraging state-of-the-art-technology and next generation distribution platforms to provide an
      immersive, interactive experience available anytime, anywhere.
      Visit WCSN at: http://tinyurl.com/ysnvnh

      11. On August 5, 2008, uber ultra-runner Karl Meltzer will set off on the biggest race of his life. His challenge: to run the entire
      length of the 2,174-mile in less than 47 days.
      Definitely daunting. Absolutely grueling. Probably insane. But when he does it, he'll rule the AT as the guy who conquered it, all
      of it, the fastest on two feet.
      This is going to be Man vs. Nature, Man vs. Self, Man vs. Clock - and it's going to be good. So, check back. As Karl's start date
      draws near, this site will transform into mission control. With an interactive map featuring real-time GPS tracking of his progress,
      a blog, forums, videos, pictures and podcasts, whereskarl.com will be the place to keep track of the Speed Goat as he ticks off the
      miles on his way from Maine to Georgia. In the meantime, sign up for email updates* on Karl's training and racing leading up to his
      AT attack, feature additions to this site, and occasional discounts from Backcountry.com and other sponsors
      Check it out at:
      http://whereskarl.com/?utm_source=runnersweb&utm_medium=banner&utm_content=ad1&utm_campaign=whereskarl

      12. Mi-Sport - The Ultimate Sports MP3 Player Introducing the world's first and only waterproof and wireless sports mp3 player.
      These Mi-SPORT mp3 headphones have a 1GB memory built into a cool neckband design. At last no wire tangle and no earbuds to fall
      out. The patented design makes this waterproof/sweatproof mp3 player great for running, cycling and gym work. The player however is
      more than splash proof! It can be completely submerged with no harm to it making it perfect for swimming, kayaking, and water
      skiing. Now incorporating the latest 3D music quality with it's adapted waterproof speaker. Relax to music in the bath, or push out
      that training session with no fear of losing your player or tangling the wires. Circuit training is so much easier with your own
      music. Enjoy the waves wire-free. This is the only waterproof pair of classic headphones with a built in mp3 player in the world.
      The stylish looking headphones play the usual MP3, WMA and WAV formats and are compatible with Windows98/98SE/2000/XP and Apple MAC.
      Depending on track length, the headphones hold well over 14 hours worth of music and the rechargeable battery life is about 8 hours.
      Nick Matthew, the 2006 British Open squash champion now uses the player to train with and Mi-SPORT are endeavouring to encourage
      more athletes to enjoy the benefits of training to wire-free music, podcasts or coaching aids. Inspiration and freedom at last, for
      athletes and exercise enthusiasts everywhere.
      Check it out at: http://www.mi-sportmp3.com/

      13. Labour Day Oakville Half-Marathon and 10/2K - Oakville, ON
      http://www.oakvillehalfmarathon.com/

      ASSOCIATIONS: The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional Organization for the Running Industry.
      http://www.runningusa.org/

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS: Check the "New Subscribers' note at the bottom of the newsletter

      Add the Runner's Web News feed to your site through a simple JavaScript. Check out OnTri.com's implementation at:
      http://www.ontri.com/runnersweb.html
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is now available

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet Explorer from the link on our FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com . We have added a button for Lauren Groves, Triathlete.

      If anyone is looking for a web mail provider, you might wish to consider Google's GMail. You can now sign up for free Gmail at
      Google WITHOUT AN INVITATION at: www.gmail.com

      We have added a new event calendar. It is available for event directors to add events at:
      http://runnersweb.mhsoftware.com/

      For the month of September, Footlocker.com will be offering 2 coupons. 20% off $99. [Code LKS18PD2, valid 8/30-10/6]. Also, get Free
      Shipping on $99 or more. [Code LKS18PF9, valid 8/30-10/6].
      http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=pgaZgw/VDU4&offerid=101680.10000260&type=3&subid=0

      Puma - Save 20% off All Orders with Coupon Code BTS77 through 9/30/08
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000026582689&pubid=21000000000028567

      Free Shipping for all orders at ChampionUSA.com!
      http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=vVGS2V*0iZg&offerid=139837.10000169&type=3&subid=0

      Watch live and webcast of Track and Field and Road races on Universal Sports
      Sign up at:
      http://www.universalsports.com//SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23000&KEY=&SPID=13055&SPSID=105551

      I've created a Runner's Web Group on Facebook. To join the Runner's Web Facebook group, if you are not a member of Facebook, you

      mailto:webmaster@... or leave your comments in one of our Forums at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/forum.html or from our FrontPage.

      We have 2,417 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe at:

      ROAD RUNNER SPORTS
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/Mobile_RRS.html

      * BREAKSWEAT.TV
      We have partnered with Breaksweat TV to provide us with video content.
      Simply Sports Media is part of a large group called Simply Media, which operates more than 25 digital TV channels, including 6 on
      satellite and cable. Simply Media has developed and continues to expand on premium content for TV, web, mobile, captive Audience
      Networks, and IPTV.
      Breaksweat.tv was recently launched to provide instant access to premium video content covering outdoor sports. The innovative
      online channel uses a system called, Brightcove to continually and seamlessly deliver content to its users, whilst providing
      easy-to-use navigation.
      Breaksweat TV is not a user generated website, or a broadcasting channel; rather it is a platform used to host Breaksweat.tv's
      independently produced video content, and content it obtains from key relationships in the outdoor sports industry. By applying this
      strategy to supply content for its viewers, SnowZone.tv is able to showcase video content that is unique, high-quality, and
      continuous filled with updated material.
      For more information and to visit other existing channels in the Simply Media network, please visit:
      http://www.simply.tv/

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey. Sheila is one of Ottawa's top multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C
      Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public Health and works in the field of nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the
      University of California, San Diego. Her column index is available at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/SK_index.html

      * Carmichael Training Systems Carmichael Training Systems was founded in 1999 by Chris Carmichael. From the beginning, the mission
      of the company has been to improve the lives of individuals we work with through the application of proper and effective fitness and
      competitive training techniques. Whether your focus is recreational, advanced, or you are a professional racer, the coaching
      methodology employed by CTS will make you a better athlete. Check the latest monthly column from CTS at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/cts_columns.html.
      Carmichael Training Systems at:
      http://www.trainright.com/promos.asp?code=DSBYBFCSP

      * Peak Running Performance Peak Running Is The Nation's Most Advanced Running Newsletter. Rated as the #1 Running Publication by
      Road Runner Sports (Worlds Largest Running Store) , Peak Running caters to the serious / dedicated runner. Delivering world class
      running advice are some of running's most recognizable athletes including Dr. Joe Vigil (US Olympic Coach), Scott Tinley (2 Time
      Ironman Champ) Steve Scott (3 Time Olympian) and many more. This bi-monthly newsletter has been around for over 13 years, and in the
      past two it has been awarded the "Golden Shoe Award" in recognition of it's outstanding achievements.

      * Running Research News: RRN's free, weekly, training update provides subscribers with the most-current, practical, scientifically
      based information about training, sports nutrition, injury prevention, and injury rehabilitation. The purpose of this weekly e-zine
      is to improve subscribers' training quality and to help them train in an injury-free manner. Running Research News also publishes a
      complete, 12-page, electronic newsletter 10 times a year (one-year subscriptions are $35); to learn more about Running Research
      News, please see the Online Article Index and "About Running Research News" sections below or go to RRNews.com. Check out the
      article index at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RRN_index.html

      community. We have ONE personal posting this week.
      ONE:
      Hi guys, I've recently found an awesome way of attaching my gel packs to my Tri bike so as they're ready for the bike leg. It's a
      gadget called the Gel Ladder. Its been working
      really well for me during races and training and as the website says, its more aero than the Bento and more convenient than tape.
      Check out www.GelLadder.com for more
      info and pictures.
      Happy training! Savannah

      THIS WEEK'S DIGEST ARTICLE INDEX:

      1. Marathon Training: At War With Injuries
      2. Bob Kennedy on the Mindset Needed for Breakthrough Performances
      An interview with the American record holder and first non-African to break 13:00 for 5K.
      3. Anabolic steroid use enhances powerlift athletes for years
      4. No more bonking - Eat, drink and your run will be merry.
      5. Why Old Athletes Come Back
      6. Brain study shows some animals crave exercise
      7. How Powerful Is Your Workout?
      8. Enduring Questions - Why Do We Suffer?
      Running can hurt. This is one runner's quest to understand the bittersweet symphony.
      9. Weak Bladders Deter Many Young Women From Sports Participation
      10. Glucosamine and chondroitin don't slow arthritis
      11. Does Exercise Really Keep Us Healthy?
      12. VAK Training Helps You Reach Your Goals
      13. During Exercise, The Human Brain Shifts Into High Gear On 'Alternative Energy'
      14. Aqua Jogging
      15. VO2max Newsletter by Dr. Jason Karp
      16. Building Better Bodies
      17. Bottle Drama
      Due to recent warnings, many runners are wondering if our plastic water bottles belong in the recycling bin.
      18. How Elliptical Exercise Machines Improve Cardiovascular Health
      19. Warning Labels for Caffeinated Energy Drinks

      "Which type of running shoe(s) do you wear for training?"

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage ( http://www.runnersweb.com) as well as checking the results of previous polls.

      LAST WEEK'S POLL RESULTS:
      "How will Lance Armstrong place in the 2009 Tour de France?"
      Answers Percentage
      1. 1st 25%
      2. Top 3 4%
      3. Top 10 17%
      4. In the peloton 21%
      5. DNF 21%
      6. Don't care 13%

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE MONTH: Boulder Coaching.
      "We want to be your triathlon and running coach"
      You're a Triathlete who knows that you can improve your swimming, biking and running performance.
      You've started running, but you need direction.
      You may not be going to the next Olympics, but you want to train with the best.
      Think Boulder Coaching
      The company's owner, Simon Lessing, is a five-time Triathlon World Champion. His Partner, Darren de Reuck, a running trainer, is
      helping many long-distance runners reach a higher level of performance.
      Reach New Heights in Triathlon and Running Competition
      You may want frequent access to the Boulder Coaches. Or you may only want to tap their accomplishments, their knowledge of all of
      the triathlon distances, Marathon, half marathon and other competitive sporting events.
      Explore our various virtual training online packages. Drop us an email (mailto:triathlon@...) or give us a call.
      Let's talk.
      Visit the site at:
      http://www.bouldercoaching.com/

      BOOK/VIDEO/MOVIE OF THE MONTH: RUN FOR YOUR LIFE
      Run For Your Life - In Theatres For Limited One Week Run To Celebrate The NYC Marathon
      Comes to DVD October 28th, 2008
      Emmy-Nominated Filmmaker Judd Ehrlich’s Documentary About the Relentlessly Ambitious and Endlessly Quirky Founder of the New York
      City Marathon, Fred Lebow
      (New York, NY) — Screen Media will release Judd Ehrlich’s inspirational and propelling documentary Run For Your Life on DVD October
      28, 2008. The film will also be in New York City theatres the week prior to the New York City Marathon in honor of race week.
      From Emmy-nominated filmmaker Judd Ehrlich comes this remarkable story of how one man ran New York and inspired millions to do the
      same. Chronicling Fred Lebow’s revolutionary creation of the New York City Marathon, Ehrlich uses archival footage of Lebow himself
      and couples it with a myriad of exclusive interviews including: Mayor Ed Koch, Manhattan Borough President Percy Sutton; Lebow
      family members Moshe Katz, Sarah Katz and Mike Lebowitz; New York Times reporters Neil Amdur and George Vescey; original marathoners
      Norb Sander and Gary Muhrcke (winner of the first NYC Marathon in 1970); and other notable athletes including Bill Rodgers, Alberto
      Salazar, Grete Waitz, Nina Kuscsik, Frank Shorter and Kathrine Switzer. The film also includes the last known interview with
      Olympian legend Ted Corbitt.
      “As a New Yorker, Fred's story spoke to me,” Ehrlich recalls. “I grew up here and I remember how he transformed the city each year
      putting on the marathon with glitz and flare. Fred was a showman and, like all performers, there was a side of his persona that few
      people really knew about.”
      Credited as the mastermind behind the New York City Marathon, Fred Lebow is now one of the most influential American icons. He fled
      his Orthodox home in war-torn Europe and found his calling when he brought together a group of runners for the first NYC Marathon in
      Central Park. In 1976, Lebow took the race through all five boroughs, uniting a divided city and sparking a worldwide fitness boom.
      Lebow lived for the NYC Marathon, yet he only ran through the five boroughs once, as the world looked on, in an unforgettable race
      against the odds.
      The film originally premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival to critical and audience acclaim. It finished 6th overall in the audience
      rankings and was also a favorite of festival co-founder Jane Rosenthal, who described it as “fascinating” in a television appearance
      alongside co-founder Robert DeNiro.
      “Fred ignited what we know as the most popular participatory sport today,” says Mary Wittenberg, president and CEO of the NYRR and
      director of the NYC Marathon, who attended a screening of Run for Your Life last spring. “He made running part of popular culture.”
      “We are releasing the film around the New York City Marathon as homage to Fred and in celebration of today’s runners. Even if you
      aren’t a runner you can truly enjoy this film and its inspirational story.” said Screen Media Films President, Robert Baruc.
      About Judd Ehrlich
      Judd Ehrlich was born August 17, 1971 and raised in New York City. He produced and directed Mayor of the West Side, the
      Emmy-nominated coming-of–age story about a teenager with multiple disabilities. The documentary continues to air on public
      television stations nationwide, and will through 2009. Ehrlich collaborated on the editing of Ric Burns' epic PBS series, New York,
      and Macky Alston's Sundance Film Festival award-winner and PBS broadcast, Family Name. He also worked for the acclaimed PBS
      documentary series POV and edited for CBS News. Ehrlich has created and curated multiple film series around New York City, hosting
      notables such as Darren Aronofsky, Steve Buscemi, Tony Kushner, Cyndi Lauper, and Willem Dafoe. He teaches documentary filmmaking in
      high schools and colleges and is a graduate of Vassar College. Ehrlich lives in Brooklyn with his wife and two children.
      For more information, see www.fredlebowmovie.com.

      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html and http://www.runnersweb.com/running/amazon.html

      THIS WEEK'S FEATURES:

      1. Marathon Training: At War With Injuries:
      It’s the fall marathon season, as runners around the world know all too well, and as the training miles pile up, countless runners
      are feeling unexpected aches and pains — and desperation. Will they recover in time to continue training and run 26.2 miles? Should
      they try to run through the pain to stay on schedule? Or would it be better to just give up on the marathon?
      Well, injured runners, I feel your pain. I am one of you, the anxious masses of aspiring marathoners who are finding out that the
      journey to the start line may be more painful than the run to the finish.
      I am entered in the New York City Marathon, scheduled for Nov. 2, and in my moments of pain and panic I knew I would never be ready.
      But I tried just about any remedy that might relieve the pain in my right forefoot, which has been screaming with each step since
      Sept. 8.
      I wanted to run through it, but even though I can tolerate pain, this was something else. Excruciating.
      What to do? Giving up on the marathon was never an appealing option. So I entered the world of injured but determined runners.
      My plans began in July 2007, when I found a distance running coach, Tom Fleming, who won the New York City Marathon twice, in 1973
      and 1975. And I found friends to run with.
      A year ago, I ran in a half-marathon in Philadelphia and loved it. As soon as registration for the New York marathon opened, I
      signed up. So did my son and so did my friend and running partner, Jennifer Davis, who has run more than a two dozen marathons and
      races beyond 26.2 miles, including a 100-mile race last winter, which she won. She entered the New York race so we could run
      together, and she said she would keep me on pace.
      Her commitment only added to the desperation factor when I was injured and could not run.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/27/sports/othersports/27marathon.html?ref=sports

      2. Bob Kennedy on the Mindset Needed for Breakthrough Performances:
      An interview with the American record holder and first non-African to break 13:00 for 5K.
      As the first non-African to break 13:00 for 5,000m, American record holder Bob Kennedy is the go-to guy to learn more about the
      mentality needed in training and racing to achieve breakthrough performances. His insights are highly relevant for all goal-setting
      runners, regardless of their ability level. (14:59)
      Listen to this story on RT Radio at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=14397

      3. Anabolic steroid use enhances powerlift athletes for years:
      In a new study discussed at the American Physiological Society, a Swedish group found that the use of anabolic steroids produced
      long lasting enhancement of the muscle cells. (The Science Blog; Scientific American -
      http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/anabolic-steroids-still-provide-a-competitive-edge-in-power-lifting-even-years-after-doping-has-ended
      -17446.html)
      A team of researchers has examined the impact of anabolic steroid use on power lifters years after the athletes had ceased to take
      the drugs. The researchers found that while physical traces of the drug no longer remained, changes in the shoulder and quadriceps
      still gave lifters an advantage years later.
      The research was conducted by Anders Eriksson and Lars-Eric Thornell, Department of Integrative Medical Biology, Section conducted
      the study for Anatomy, Umea University, Umea, Sweden; Christer Malm, Umeå University and Winternet and Patrik Bonnerud, Department
      of Health Science, Section for Medical Science, Lulea University of Technology, Lulea, Sweden; and Fawzi Kadi, Department of
      Physical Education and Health, Orebro University, Orebro, Sweden.
      The researchers ascertained 3 subject groups: power lifters, power lifters currently using the juice, and power lifters who used
      steroids in the past but abstained now. The muscle fiber and muscle groups examined:
      For power lifters, type IIB fiber, the most powerful, is most frequently used. The use of anabolic steroids can add more nuclei to
      the muscle, and enhance muscle fiber size.
      The researchers examined data in two muscles: the vastus lateralis, found in the quadriceps, and the trapezius, a part of the
      shoulder-neck muscle. Each muscle is key to power lifting.
      The results were startling:
      The researchers found that several years after anabolic steroid withdrawal, and with no or low current strength-training, the muscle
      fiber area intensity, the number of nuclei per fiber in the quadriceps was still comparable to that of athletes that were currently
      performing high intensity strength-training. They also discovered that the shoulder-neck fiber areas were comparable to
      high-intensity trained athletes and the number of nuclei per fiber was even higher than found in the current steroid-using group.
      According to the lead researcher, Dr. Eriksson, ”It is possible that the high number of nuclei we found in the muscle might be
      beneficial for an athlete who continues or resumes strength training because increased myonuclei opens up the possibility of
      increasing protein synthesis, which can lead to muscle mass.” He added, “Based on the characteristics between doped and non-doped
      power lifters, we conclude that a period of anabolic steroid usage is an advantage for a power lifter in competition, even several
      years after they stop taking a doping drug.”
      As many clean Olympic athletes argued, once a competitor used an anabolic steroid, the competitive advantage may be maintained over
      years.
      And the NFL doles out a 4 game suspension for steroid policy violations...
      From Steroid Nation at:
      http://grg51.typepad.com/steroid_nation/2008/09/anabolic-steroi.html

      4. No more bonking:
      Eat, drink and your run will be merry.
      For competitive and recreational runners, fall is race season. It's time to put a summer of training to the test on race day. While
      there is plenty to think about -- the right shoes, the weather or a nervous stomach that might act up at an inopportune time -- it's
      equally important to learn how to fuel your body for your best possible race.
      HYDRATION
      Despite all of the benefits that come from drinking enough fluid for training and competition, hydration has become a remarkably
      controversial area. After years of pushing runners to drink plenty of water to prevent even slight dehydration, sports scientists
      are now moving to a more general recommendation to drink according to your thirst. This new way of thinking was spurred by a greater
      understanding of the impact of overhydration, also known as hyponatremia, on runners' health.
      In a nutshell, researchers have learned that drinking too much water during exercise can dilute sodium levels in the bloodstream
      enough to throw the body's delicate electrolyte balance into flux. The result is a state that looks and feels a lot like
      dehydration: nausea and vomiting, confusion and muscle cramps. Left untreated, or worse, treated as dehydration by pushing more
      fluids, overhydration can lead to seizure, coma and even death.
      More...from the National Post at:
      http://www.nationalpost.com/arts/story.html?id=813961

      5. Why Old Athletes Come Back:
      Maybe its the fear of turning 40. Maybe its the feeling of unfinished business. Maybe its the fire in the belly that has not quite
      extinguished. For retired elite athletes, the itch is always there to make a return after experiencing "life after sport". For some,
      it becomes too strong to ignore.
      This year has seen the return of at least three champions, Dara Torres, Lance Armstrong and Brett Favre. As they explain their
      individual reasons for coming back, some similarities emerge that have more to do with psychological needs than practical needs. In
      a recent Miami Herald article, Torres explained her comeback to competitive swimming at age 41, "For me, it's not like I sat around
      and watched swimming on TV and thought, 'Oh, I wish I was still competing'. It was more gradual. But all of a sudden, something goes
      off inside you and you start seriously thinking about a comeback. You'd think the competitive fire would die down with maturity, but
      I've actually gotten worse. I wasn't satisfied with silver medals. I hate to lose now more than I did in my 20s. I'm still trying to
      figure out why.''
      Drawing inspiration from Torres, Lance Armstrong has decided to make a comeback at age 37 with a declared goal to win his eighth
      Tour de France. In a recent Vanity Fair article, he described his rationale, “Look at the Olympics. You have a swimmer like Dara
      Torres. Even in the 50-meter event [freestyle], the 41-year-old mother proved you can do it. The woman who won the marathon
      [Constantina Tomescu-Dita, of Romania] was 38. Older athletes are performing very well. Ask serious sports physiologists and they’ll
      tell you age is a wives’ tale. Athletes at 30, 35 mentally get tired. They’ve done their sport for 20, 25 years and they’re like,
      I’ve had enough. But there’s no evidence to support that when you’re 38 you’re any slower than when you were 32."
      Is it the 40 factor? Brett Favre, who turns 39 in October, made his well-publicized return to the NFL last month wanting to return
      so badly that he accepted a trade to the New York Jets so that he could play. His public and emotional decision to retire in March,
      only to begin hinting at a comeback in early summer showed the internal struggle he had with stepping away from sports.
      More...from Live Science at:
      http://www.livescience.com/culture/080927-sports-retirement.html

      6. Brain study shows some animals crave exercise:
      Like junkies without drugs, mice without running wheels crave what they lack, suggesting that some animals can develop an addiction
      for exercise, report scientists in the Dec. 1 issue of the journal Behavioral Neuroscience.
      We all know someone who can't get enough exercise: the marathon runner who jogged 26 miles in all 50 states, the neighbor who speed
      walks at the crack of dawn or the cyclist who zooms by every Sunday.
      We might say these people are addicted to physical activity. But the debate on exercise addiction has remained largely unresolved -
      until now, that is.
      The new study, conducted at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, adds evidence that the same brain circuitry involved in other types
      of craving - such as for food, drugs or sex - is activated in mice that are denied access to the running wheel.
      The findings, say the researchers, lend support to the addictive nature of exercise in some animals.
      The researchers studied changes in brain activity in two groups of rodents: typical laboratory mice and a special breed of mice
      selected over 29 generations for their affinity for voluntary wheel running.
      'All mice run on wheels, and, therefore, have a motivation to run,' says Justin Rhodes, a postdoctoral fellow at Oregon Health &
      Science University who completed the study while a graduate student at UW-Madison. But he adds that the specially bred mice have a
      genetic predisposition to run longer distances.
      'They represent those few extreme individuals in the population with an intense desire or compulsion to run,' he says.
      More...from Medical News Today at:
      http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/4774.php

      7. How Powerful Is Your Workout?
      THE four stationary bikes look almost like any others, except that they are fitted with an arm crank and are hooked up to a
      generator. As riders pedal and turn the lever, the movement creates a current that flows to a battery pack. They generate an average
      of 200 watts, enough to run the stereo, a 37-inch L.C.D. television and a laptop for an hour at this new gym in Portland, Ore.
      Adam Boesel, a personal trainer, wants his clients to burn calories, not fossil fuels. Last month he opened the Green Microgym, one
      of a new breed of fitness clubs that seek to harness the power of human exercise as a source of electricity.
      “It’s cool, fun stuff and an excellent workout,” said Mr. Boesel, who spent a recent Monday morning demonstrating the
      power-producing bike machine, designed by a Texas manufacturer and called the Team Dynamo.
      Mr. Boesel, 37, says the Microgym — the name is a riff on the city’s signature microbreweries — is more than a gimmick. “It is an
      example of what a community can do to conserve energy, even if it’s a drop in the bucket.”
      The club has energy efficient treadmills, remanufactured elliptical trainers and barbells “rescued from negligent owners on
      Craigslist,” Mr. Boesel said. Wall-mounted solar panels, to be installed this fall, will generate about eight kilowatts of
      electricity, he said. The gym doesn’t have any showers or drinking fountains, and the club’s 70 members live within walking
      distance, “which is probably the greenest part of the gym,” Mr. Boesel said.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/25/fashion/25gym.html?ref=fitnessandnutrition

      8. Enduring Questions - Why Do We Suffer?
      Running can hurt. This is one runner's quest to understand the bittersweet symphony.
      The wheels were falling off my cart, and all I could do was watch them roll away. This was my third straight August running the
      Pikes Peak Ascent, and I'd begun the day confident, ready to put hard-won lessons to work. My first year at Pikes, I'd entered on a
      whim, overconfident and undertrained, and I'd lumbered to the finish line, 13.3 miles and 7,815 feet above the start, thoroughly
      spanked. The next year, I'd come prepared to expect a finish time akin to a road marathon. I'd upped my mileage and practiced
      running above 14,000 feet, but still I'd limped home after aggravating an old Achilles injury. Today I was ready for a charmed third
      try. I was fit, healthy, and confident of a top-10 finish. Maybe I'd even break three hours if all went well.
      I'd begun at a moderate pace as planned, but when I reached No Name Creek, where I'd intended to start pushing, my body refused to
      follow the script. My quads and hamstrings tightened then seized, my chest constricted, my arms went all noodley, and a paralyzing
      fatigue overtook me. It was nothing less than slow-motion agony.
      My confidence evaporated, and a downward spiral of negative thoughts engulfed me. I was wallowing in dread at the many miles I had
      left to plod when a spectator pumped her fist at me and shouted, "Looking great! You're in eighth place!"
      In an instant, my world changed. The weight in my legs lifted, my breathing relaxed, and my spirit crawled out of its hole. Suddenly
      I didn't just look great to my anonymous fan, I actually felt great, too. So great that I picked up the pace and finished the race
      sixth overall. My time, 3:08:21, wasn't quite what I'd hoped for, yet I'd turned a disaster into a solid performance.
      But how? As I sat at the finish, watching runners trudge up the final switchbacks like a swarm of ants, I wondered what had happened
      down there. What exactly was that misery I'd experienced early on? What purpose had it served, and why had the pain evaporated with
      one tidbit of positive information? Is pain and suffering a psychological phenomenon that can be overcome like a bad mood, or is it
      a danger signal that can't be ignored?
      More...from Runner's World at:
      http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12852-0,00.html

      9. Weak Bladders Deter Many Young Women From Sports Participation:
      weak bladder is putting many young women off participating in sport, or prompting them to give it up altogether, suggests new
      research.
      The prevalence of urinary stress incontinence, defined as an involuntary leakage of urine, is relatively high among women, with some
      research putting the figure as high as 46%.
      The researchers asked 679 Italian women about whether they had ever had urinary stress incontinence. All them were still having
      regular periods, and took part in non-competitive sports.
      The anonymous responses showed that around 1 in 7 (15%) said they suffered from the condition. On average, the women had been
      putting up with the symptoms for six years.
      Being overweight and having had children boosted the risk of urinary stress incontinence.
      Of those affected, almost half said the condition occurred during routine activities, while one in three said it occurred solely
      during sporting activities. One in five said it occurred in both circumstances.
      The most risky sports for women with the problem, in descending order of magnitude, were basketball, athletics, and tennis or
      squash.
      More...from Science Daily at:
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/09/080924192449.htm

      10. Glucosamine and chondroitin don't slow arthritis:
      Two hugely popular supplements used to fight arthritis and joint pain, glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate, do not seem to work any
      better than placebo to slow the loss of knee cartilage in osteoarthritis, researchers reported on Monday.
      But the researchers said some of their findings were confusing and said more study was needed.
      "At two years, no treatment showed what we determined to be a clinically important reduction in joint space width loss," said Dr.
      Allen Sawitzke of the University of Utah School of Medicine, who helped lead the study.
      The study, funded by the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine at the National Institutes of Health, confirms
      other findings showing the supplements have few or no effects.
      The trial is called glucosamine/chondroitin arthritis intervention trial or GAIT. Writing in the October issue of Arthritis &
      Rheumatism, Sawitzke and colleagues said they had trouble interpreting their results because patients who took placebos had a
      smaller loss of cartilage than they should have.
      The original GAIT study results in 2006 found the supplements did not reduce the pain of knee arthritis, except among a small group
      of patients with moderate to severe pain.
      The GAIT researchers continued to watch 572 volunteers for another 18 months and found the supplements did not appear to slow the
      loss of cartilage, taken either alone or together.
      More...from Reuters at:
      http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSTRE48S82820080929

      11. Does Exercise Really Keep Us Healthy?
      ~ While exercise can boost mood, its health benefits have been oversold.
      ~ Moderate exercise can reduce the risk of diabetes in people at risk. Exercise may reduce the risk of heart disease and breast and
      colon cancers.
      ~ Though the evidence is mixed, exercise may also provide benefits for people with osteoporosis.
      ~ Physical activity alone will not lead to sustained weight loss or reduce blood pressure or cholesterol.
      Exercise has long been touted as the panacea for everything that ails you. For better health, simply walk for 20 or 30 minutes a
      day, boosters say — and you don’t even have to do it all at once. Count a few minutes here and a few there, and just add them up. Or
      wear a pedometer and keep track of your steps. However you manage it, you will lose weight, get your blood pressure under control
      and reduce your risk of osteoporosis.
      If only it were so simple. While exercise has undeniable benefits, many, if not most, of its powers have been oversold. Sure, it can
      be fun. It can make you feel energized. And it may lift your mood. But before you turn to a fitness program as the solution to your
      particular health or weight concern, consider what science has found.
      Moderate exercise, such as walking, can reduce the risk of diabetes in obese and sedentary people whose blood sugar is starting to
      rise. That outcome was shown in a large federal study in which participants were randomly assigned either to an exercise and diet
      program, to take a diabetes drug or to serve as controls. Despite trying hard, those who dieted and worked out lost very little
      weight. But they did manage to maintain a regular walking program, and fewer of them went on to develop diabetes.
      Exercise also may reduce the risk of heart disease, though the evidence is surprisingly mixed. There seems to be a threshold effect:
      Most of the heart protection appears to be realized by people who go from being sedentary to being moderately active, usually by
      walking regularly. More intense exercise has been shown to provide only slightly greater benefits. Yet the data from several large
      studies have not always been clear, because those who exercise tend to be very different from those who do not.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://health.nytimes.com/ref/health/healthguide/esn-exercise-ess.html

      12. VAK Training Helps You Reach Your Goals:
      VAK training can transform your running.
      VAK refers to the practice of stating your running goal verbally – and then experiencing the achievement of the goal Visually, in an
      Auditory fashion, and Kinesthetically.
      For example, your goal might be the achievement of a certain finishing time in a marathon. To begin a VAK training session for this
      goal, you would simply make yourself very comfortable, relax, close your eyes, and say, “I am going to finish the Boston Marathon in
      2:59 (or any relevant race and time).”
      Follow up your statement by experiencing the finish of the race Visually. Think how you will look as you run the final 800 meters to
      the finish line, your legs striding forward powerfully, your arms moving rhythmically and in synch with your legs, your shoulders
      back, your head up, and with a broad smile on your face. Visualize how it will look to take that final stride across the finish
      line, to accept the congratulations of the race-support crew, to walk toward the recovery area with a feeling of great fulfillment
      and accomplishment. Focus on such visual images for a few minutes, relaxing and enjoying them completely.
      Then, experience the final moments of the marathon in an Auditory fashion. Hear the cheering for you as you approach the finish
      line, the clapping from bystanders and the strong words of support from the crowd. Hear the announcer calling out your name. Hear
      the sound of your feet bounding along the ground and the sound of your very rhythmic breathing. Hear the heartfelt congratulations
      you will receive after you cross the finish line. Hear your friends shouting to you, “You did it!”
      Finally, experience the finish of the race kinesthetically. Imagine how great it will feel to see the finish line ahead. Think how
      exhilarated you will be as you make your final charge toward the finish line. Feel your nervous system and leg muscles waking up for
      that final surge. Think how the ground will feel as you stride across those last few meters. And feel how great it will be to relax
      totally after you cross the finish line. Your whole body will be warm, and your spirit will be joyful; your mind and body will be
      unified.
      The Law of Attraction says that we make things happen by thinking about them in advance. It says that we make our goals real for the
      first time and begin to believe and trust that we can attain them by thinking about them deeply, by thinking about what they really
      are and how much we really want them, and by experiencing them in the VAK ways. I know that VAK works. I never truly realized that I
      could attain my goals until I began using VAK. Regular practice of VAK also brings great internal peace; it is a form of meditation.
      VAK is also the perfect antidote to negative or doubting thoughts. If you think “I might be able to achieve this goal,” then that
      doubting thought becomes ingrained in your mind, forms a groove right across your cerebral cortex, takes on a life of its own and
      “lights up” on race day, and – sure enough – on your day of competition you might be able to attain your goal, but then again you
      might not. It is important to use VAK immediately whenever the doubtful voice shows up, during your preparations for a key race or
      within the race itself. VAK is the perfect anti-venom for the crippling fatigue and I-can’t-go-on syndrome which can strike during
      competitions. When exhaustion strikes, you can call up your VAK images, sounds, and feelings instantly – and say “I am going to do
      this!!”
      VAK is also extremely forward-thinking. When you employ VAK, you focus on future successes, not past disappointments and mistakes.
      VAK is an extreme confidence-builder: As you see, hear, and feel yourself succeeding, you come to believe that you indeed have the
      power to reach your most-important goal.
      Let’s face it: You want to reach your running goal very badly. VAK puts your whole mind and body to work on the task of achieving
      your goal, and hitting your target time becomes very real and absolutely possible. Using VAK can be a very emotional process,
      helping you see just how important your goals are to you – and why they are important. You’ll understand yourself better when you
      employ VAK regularly. Systematic use of VAK will boost your self-esteem and create the mental state which is necessary for optimal
      performance. When that mental approach is combined with the physical prowess you have achieved through challenging training, your
      previous limits will be broken, and you will soar far above your previous performances.
      From the Educated Runner at:
      http://www.educatedrunner.com/

      13. During Exercise, The Human Brain Shifts Into High Gear On 'Alternative Energy':
      Alternative energy is all the rage in major media headlines, but for the human brain, this is old news. According to a study by
      researchers from Denmark and The Netherlands, the brain, just like muscles, works harder during strenuous exercise and is fueled by
      lactate, rather than glucose.
      Not only does this finding help explain why the brain is able to work properly when the body's demands for fuel and oxygen are
      highest, but it goes a step further to show that the brain actually shifts into a higher gear in terms of activity. This opens doors
      to entirely new areas of brain research related to understanding lactate's specific neurological effects.
      "Now that we know the brain can run on lactate, so to speak, future studies should show us when to use lactate as part of a
      treatment," said Gerald Weissmann, MD, Editor-in-Chief of The FASEB Journal. "From an evolutionary perspective, the result of this
      study is a no-brainer. Imagine what could have or did happen to all of the organisms that lost their wits along with their glucose
      when running from predators. They were obviously a light snack for the animals able to use lactate."
      More...from Science Daily at:
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/09/080930135305.htm

      14. Aqua Jogging:
      Recently, I’ve been plagued with an injury while preparing to race the Ironman World Championship of triathlon in Kona, Hawaii. The
      injury is called “IT Band Friction Syndrome” and requires low-impact or non-weight bearing exercise to maintain fitness until the
      knee is pain-free (alternative, highly non-attractive option is to run through the pain and destroy your knee forever).
      This type of low-impact requirement involves creating, non-traditional methods to maintain peak aerobic fitness without causing
      damage to an inflamed tendon. Research has shown that non-impact water exercise offers this benefit, and this activity is utilized
      by quite a few pro triathletes and marathoners. Consequently, at my triathlon training and racing blog
      (http://bengreenfieldtri.blogspot.com), I have several workout entries that include the term “Aqua Jogging”. So what exactly is aqua
      jogging (AKA water running) and how do you do it?
      There are two different types of aqua jogging: 1) running in a deep water where you cannot touch bottom of pool; 2) running in
      shallow water with feet touching bottom of pool.
      The first method of aqua jogging is the “non-impact” version that I highly recommend and that I will introduce in this post. The
      second version is relatively low-impact when compared to running, but can still cause pain in the knees during the initial stages of
      something like an IT band injury.
      More...from TriFuel at:
      http://www.trifuel.com/training/workouts/aqua-jogging

      15. VO2max Newsletter by Dr. Jason Karp:
      * The Best Workout
      I was recently asked at a coaching clinic what's the most important type of workout runners should do. While this is a difficult
      question, and depends on a number of factors (not the least of which are the genetically-determined strengths and weaknesses of the
      runner), the workout that will give you the most bang for your buck and have the greatest impact on your fitness and performance is
      long intervals (3-5 minutes) run at the velocity at VO2max (95-100% maximum heart rate). An example would be 5 x 3 minutes (800 to
      1,000 meters) at the velocity at VO2max with 2:30 jog recovery. Runners are not the only ones who can benefit from this type of
      workout; it's also great for the general public who want to lose weight and get fit. These workouts increase your maximum stroke
      volume and cardiac output, increase mitochondrial enzyme activity, and increase VO2max. Additionally, these workouts are performed
      at an intensity higher than the lactate threshold, so there is also an anaerobic component, prompting an improvement in
      "anaerobic-related" factors, such as acidosis buffering capacity.
      * Tapering
      With Haile Gebrselassie's recent world marathon record of 2:03:59 and marathon season beginning in the U.S., there's a lot of
      attention on the marathon. If you're planning on running a marathon this fall, chances are you're already thinking about your
      taper. The taper may be the most complicated part of training, since you want to back off on your training to completely recover
      and eliminate all fatigue while not backing off too much that you lose fitness. While research has shown that tapering results in
      changes in biological markers that reflect a reduced training stress and an increased recovery, and that improved performance (from
      0.5% to 6%) is more likely to occur after a period of reduced training, it has not established the time frame separating the
      benefits of a successful taper from the negative consequences of insufficient training.
      Most studies on tapering in runners have examined the effect of 1-week tapers on short distance events, and have found that the
      intensity of training is more important than either the training volume (weekly mileage) or frequency. When training for a 5K, you
      can reduce both your weekly mileage and the number of days you run per week as long as you keep the intensity high. For example,
      studies using a low volume/high intensity taper for 1 week (e.g., an 85% reduction in mileage and 5x500 meters at 800-meter race
      pace with 6-7 minutes recovery, decreasing by 1 rep each day for 5 days) have found improvements in running economy and 5K
      performance, and increases in aerobic enzyme activity, blood volume, and time to fatigue at 1,500-meter race pace compared to a
      moderate-volume/low-intensity taper (e.g., 6 miles at 60% VO2max, decreasing by 1.25 miles each day for 5 days) or a taper with no
      running at all.
      There has been little research on the effect of tapering on long-distance running, with one study finding that a taper using an 85%
      reduction in mileage for 1 week did not affect half-marathon performance, and that performance was similar to that of runners who
      didn't taper. Before a marathon, most people taper for 2 to 3 weeks, however I believe the taper should be shorter the lower the
      mileage you're doing. Although research has shown that reductions in training volume up to 60 to 90 percent can improve
      performance, the research is limited to much shorter races that are not as endurance-dependent as the marathon. Given the length of
      the marathon, and thus its large dependence on aerobic metabolism, it's better not to decrease mileage by as much as 90 percent.
      This is especially important for runners who are less talented or less fit (4- to 5-hour marathoners),
      who will be better served spending as much time as possible developing their aerobic capabilities rather than by backing off for a
      full 3 weeks before their marathon.
      Many of my decisions concerning the taper depend on the strengths and weaknesses of my athletes and what has yielded positive
      results in the past. If they've been doing high mileage (more than 70 miles per week), I typically begin cutting their mileage 3
      weeks before the marathon, with the first week at 70% of peak training mileage, the second week at 50%, and the week of the marathon
      at 35% (not counting the marathon itself). I keep the intensity high during the first week, including one interval workout at 3K
      race pace and one moderately-long run (13-15 miles) with about half at lactate threshold pace (what I call an LT/LSD combo run). As
      it gets closer to the marathon, I reduce the "volume of intensity"
      by reducing the number of intervals in each session. During the second week, I include two short- to medium-distance runs (5-10
      miles) at marathon race pace. The week of the race, I include one interval workout early in the week at either lactate threshold
      pace or slightly faster. The final week also includes a daily progressive reduction in mileage that
      mirrors the pattern of the weekly reduction.
      If you're running a marathon this fall, take care in planning your taper--and good luck on race day!
      To view past newsletters go to: http://www.runcoachjason.com/newsletter
      Copyright Jason Karp All Rights Reserved - http://www.runcoachjason.com

      16. Building Better Bodies:
      IN this factory town in south-central Michigan, hard hit by the decline of the auto industry and home to a population whose health
      grimly lags well below national averages, several dozen small-business owners have joined forces in a wellness campaign that rivals
      those of the country’s giant corporations.
      With fewer employees to rely on, small businesses are particularly vulnerable when workers take sick days or function poorly on the
      job.
      “If they’re not healthy and alert, they can’t do things like designing projects,” said Mike Shirkey, owner of Orbitform Group, a
      machine tools company with 55 employees in Jackson.
      An engineering graduate of the University of Michigan, Mr. Shirkey compares the wellness program with the “measure and improve”
      approach that he applies to manufacturing. Two years ago, Mr. Shirkey helped persuade other business owners in Jackson to join a CEO
      Roundtable, a forum and self-help group for top executives that is trying to address employees’ health as a crucial part of
      corporate strategy, rather than as simply a cost-management problem.
      Kirk Mercer, president of R. W. Mercer, a Jackson-based contractor that builds small factories, doctors’ offices and other
      commercial buildings in the Midwest, said he was so taken with this approach that he was urging his small subcontractors, each with
      a handful of employees, to join the wellness roundtable.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://tinyurl.com/3l2o7w

      17. Bottle Drama:
      Due to recent warnings, many runners are wondering if our plastic water bottles belong in the recycling bin.
      They're in our cars and gym bags. But due to recent warnings, many runners are wondering if our plastic water bottles belong in the
      recycling bin. Bisphenol A (BPA), a chemical in polycarbonate bottles, has been linked to cancer, reproductive issues, and endocrine
      damage in animals. And while research is needed to determine whether BPA is dangerous to humans, animals given low doses of BPA—an
      amount equivalent to what people are presumed to ingest—have experienced health problems, says Scott Belcher, Ph.D., a runner and
      cell biologist at the University of Cincinnati. The FDA says polycarbonate bottles are safe, and a panel from the National
      Institutes of Health concluded that there is only "negligible concern" regarding BPA's effects on adults. Still, many people
      (including Belcher) prefer to avoid BPA. And the industry has responded: Nalgene has stopped making their bottles with BPA;
      Patagonia has pulled polycarbonate bottles from store shelves. Because runners can't stop drinking on the go, we asked some experts
      to weigh in on the plastic bottles available.
      More...from Runner's World at:
      http://tinyurl.com/4tc5zl

      18. How Elliptical Exercise Machines Improve Cardiovascular Health:
      Elliptical exercise machines are becoming more and more popular and sophisticated in their overall design since their introduction
      in the 90s. It is estimated that millions of Americans use elliptical trainers in their home gyms. The reason for their popularity
      is the low-impact design and total body workout these machines provide. Elliptical exercise machines are hard to beat when it comes
      to improving cardiovascular health. They are safe for older people, beginners and even expectant mothers, yet challenging enough for
      the most serious fitness buff.
      Low Impact Design Prevents Injuries
      Experts agree that weight-bearing activities such as jogging and aerobics are necessary to maintain healthy bone density.
      Weight-baring exercises include all activities where you remain standing on your feet. The problem is that many of these exercises
      are hard on the joints by jarring the bones and muscles. You may aggravate old injuries or even injure yourself all over again.
      Knees, ankles, hips and the back are all prone to feel the impact of these types of workouts. Therapists often prescribe low impact
      exercises for people recovering from an accident, people who suffer from arthritis or pregnant women. This is where elliptical
      exercise machines fit in.
      More...from Best Syndication at:
      http://www.bestsyndication.com/?q=node/18192

      19. Warning Labels for Caffeinated Energy Drinks:
      Super-caffeinated energy drinks popular with teenagers, with names like Red Bull, Monster and Full Throttle, should carry warning
      labels, says a group of prominent caffeine researchers.
      In an article published this month in the journal Drug and Alcohol Dependence, researchers from Johns Hopkins University say
      caffeinated energy drinks should carry labels that note caffeine doses and warn of potential health risks for consumers.
      The caffeine content of energy drinks varies from 50 milligrams to more than 500 milligrams per serving. A regular 12-ounce cola
      drink has about 35 milligrams of caffeine, and a 6-ounce cup of brewed coffee has 80 to 150 milligrams of caffeine.
      Some energy drinks contain the caffeine equivalent of 14 cans of Coca-Cola, said Roland Griffiths, a professor of behavioral biology
      and one of the study authors. “Yet the caffeine amounts are often unlabeled, and few include warnings about the potential health
      risks of caffeine intoxication,” he said.
      Dr. Griffiths notes that caffeine intoxication is a recognized clinical syndrome included in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual
      of Mental Disorders and the World Health Organization’s International Classification of Diseases. It is marked by nervousness,
      anxiety, restlessness, insomnia, gastrointestinal upset, tremors, rapid heartbeats, restlessness and pacing, and in rare cases, even
      death.
      In a 2007 survey of 496 college students, 51 percent reported consuming at least one energy drink during the last month. Of these
      energy drink users, 29 percent reported “weekly jolt and crash episodes,” and 19 percent reported heart palpitations from drinking
      energy drinks, the report stated. This same survey found that 27 percent of the students said they mixed energy drinks and alcohol
      at least once in the past month.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/25/warning-labels-for-caffeinated-energy-drinks/

      20. Digest Briefs:
      * Suffering Joints? Stop and Smell the Roses
      Roses (genus Rosa) encompass over 100 known species. Cultivated for their fragrance and beauty, roses historically have been the
      center of much praise. Poets have dedicated odes to their beauty, they have been desired by centuries of gardeners and are one of
      the most universal symbols, often representing love and life. As the phrase goes, sometimes you do have to “stop and smell the
      roses.”
      Although you may think that this is just a fancy way of saying take some time to enjoy life, perhaps we have dismissed roses for too
      long. Seriously, you should pay more attention to those roses. They could greatly improve your life. That is, if you are one of the
      millions of people in the US who suffer from arthritis diseases such as Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis.
      Results from two different arthritis studies have confirmed that an active ingredient of rose hips has been shown to protect and
      possibly rebuild joint tissue broken down by arthritis. The latest results, presented at the Osteoarthritis Research Society
      International (ORSI) World Conference in Rome, explained the mechanism of protein GOPO(R) found in rose hips. This extract, has
      demonstrated the ability to protect vulnerable cartilage and possibly stimulate its regeneration. GOPO(R) has also been shown to
      improve mood, increased energy and sleep quality of those affected by arthritis.
      Conditions such as Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis cause a breakdown of vital cartilage in joints. According to the
      Arthritis Foundation, there are 27 million people in the US living with Osteoarthritis in the US and 1.3 million people affected by
      Rheumatoid Arthritis. Marked by stiffness, swelling, loss of flexibly and pain, arthritis can significantly deter one from a normal
      life. There is no clear cause for arthritis although a number of risk factors have been identified including genetics, obesity and
      age. These conditions worsen over time as there is no cure for arthritis. Treatment includes either steroidal or non-steroidal
      anti-inflammatory drugs and/or pain killers and can be daunting for one who doesn’t wish to resign themselves to a lifetime regimen
      of Advil and Vicoden. Alternatives such as GOPO(R) from rose hips may prove to be a better solution for joint swelling and pain
      without the side effects of large doses of pain killers, steroids or other anti-inflammatory medications.
      At the forefront of the ORSI World Conference were the results of two studies demonstrating the benefits of GOPO(R). The first study
      examined the effects of rose hip powder on cartilage cells (chrondrocytes) responsible for building cartilage in the joints. The
      study found that GOPO(R) deactivated genes responsible for certain protein and enzymatic triggers of joint destruction by an
      inflammation reaction by the body. It was also seen to switch on genes which help produce collagen and cartilage, which is a key to
      joint repair. This study also saw that rose hip powder was able to inhibit the production of inflammatory mediators such as <br/><br/>(Message over 64 KB, truncated)