Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest - September 5, 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2008
      A FREE WEEKLY E-ZINE OF MULTISPORT RELATED ARTICLES. The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is a weekly e-zine dealing with the
      sports of running and triathlon and general fitness and health issues. The opinions expressed in the articles referenced by the
      Digest are the opinions of the writers and not necessarily those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at
      http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out our daily news, features, polls, trivia, bulletin
      boards and more. General questions should be posted to one of our forums available from our FrontPage.

      1. Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women - Canada's Fastest Women's 5K
      Emilie's Run is over for another year. Almost 300 women completed the race with 38 women running under 20:00
      For more on the race visit the website at:
      http://www.emiliesrun.com.
      Join Emilie's Run Community and contribute at:
      http://groups-beta.google.com/group/emiliesrun?hl=en

      3. Road Runner Sports, the world's largest running store at:
      New Arrivals from Nike With Web Exclusive Apparel and More!

      4. Toronto Waterfront Marathon, September 28, 2008
      http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/

      5. Goodlife Fitness Toronto Marathon - October 19, 2008
      http://www.torontomarathon.com/

      6. Training Peaks Training Peaks, LLC is dedicated to the endurance athlete and coach. With our industry leading software products,
      we're committed to help you monitor, analyze and plan your training. We encourage you to draw on our passion for excellence to help
      you reach your athletic dreams. Trusted by thousands. Dedicated to you.
      http://www.trainingpeaks.com/

      7. Running Free Running Free is a complete online running store with everything for the casual to serious runner. They also have
      retail stores in the GTA (Toronto) and Markham. Check them out at:
      http://www.runningfree.com

      8. January 4, 2008: Goodlife Fitness has come on board as a sponsor of Emilie's Run GoodLife Fitness - Coed or Women's Only Visit
      www.GoodLifeFitness.com today to receive 3 FREE Visits! Your 3 FREE visits include: . A Visual Fitness Planner Consultation . Fit
      Fix Orientation to learn how to exercise safely and effectively . Access to all cardio and strength-training equipment . Access to
      all of our world-class Group EXercise classes . A copy of Living the Good Life audio CD Get started today! Visit
      www.GoodLifeFitness.com Limited time offer.

      9. Watch over 50 IAAF Events Live and On-Demand. World Championship Sports Network ABOUT WCSN World Championship Sports Network
      (WCSN) is the premier destination for fans of Olympic and lifestyle sports, delivering an immersive experience via exclusive live
      and on demand coverage of world class competitions, interaction with top athletes and in depth access to sports news and information
      year round. WCSN offers comprehensive coverage of over 60 sports disciplines, through exclusive long term programming agreements
      across a number of key International Federations and National Governing Bodies. Major championship events in sports ranging from
      Athletics (Track & Field), Skiing, Swimming, Gymnastics and Cycling to Volleyball, Karate and Taekwondo are featured online at
      http://tinyurl.com/ysnvnh and on television via WCSN's weekly syndicated television program, World Championship Sports, available in
      more than 45 million US households. WCSN also markets Olympic sports in partnership with International Federations, National
      Governing Bodies, local organizations, clubs, sponsors, and through related websites and publications. WCSN is dedicated to
      providing year round, in depth coverage of these important and exciting sports to reach millions of fans around the world for whom
      they represent a way of life. WCSN is committed to expanding the audience by delivering programming that exemplifies the best of the
      human spirit. WCSN enables fans to interact with world class champions as well as get to know the up and coming athletes through
      blogs, interviews and their broadcast commentary. Consistent with the world class caliber of the sports it celebrates, WCSN delivers
      high quality production values, leveraging state-of-the-art-technology and next generation distribution platforms to provide an
      immersive, interactive experience available anytime, anywhere.
      Visit WCSN at: http://tinyurl.com/ysnvnh

      11. On August 5, 2008, uber ultra-runner Karl Meltzer will set off on the biggest race of his life. His challenge: to run the entire
      length of the 2,174-mile in less than 47 days.
      Definitely daunting. Absolutely grueling. Probably insane. But when he does it, he'll rule the AT as the guy who conquered it, all
      of it, the fastest on two feet.
      This is going to be Man vs. Nature, Man vs. Self, Man vs. Clock - and it's going to be good. So, check back. As Karl's start date
      draws near, this site will transform into mission control. With an interactive map featuring real-time GPS tracking of his progress,
      a blog, forums, videos, pictures and podcasts, whereskarl.com will be the place to keep track of the Speed Goat as he ticks off the
      miles on his way from Maine to Georgia. In the meantime, sign up for email updates* on Karl's training and racing leading up to his
      AT attack, feature additions to this site, and occasional discounts from Backcountry.com and other sponsors
      Check it out at:
      http://whereskarl.com/?utm_source=runnersweb&utm_medium=banner&utm_content=ad1&utm_campaign=whereskarl

      12. Mi-Sport - The Ultimate Sports MP3 Player Introducing the world's first and only waterproof and wireless sports mp3 player.
      These Mi-SPORT mp3 headphones have a 1GB memory built into a cool neckband design. At last no wire tangle and no earbuds to fall
      out. The patented design makes this waterproof/sweatproof mp3 player great for running, cycling and gym work. The player however is
      more than splash proof! It can be completely submerged with no harm to it making it perfect for swimming, kayaking, and water
      skiing. Now incorporating the latest 3D music quality with it's adapted waterproof speaker. Relax to music in the bath, or push out
      that training session with no fear of losing your player or tangling the wires. Circuit training is so much easier with your own
      music. Enjoy the waves wire-free. This is the only waterproof pair of classic headphones with a built in mp3 player in the world.
      The stylish looking headphones play the usual MP3, WMA and WAV formats and are compatible with Windows98/98SE/2000/XP and Apple MAC.
      Depending on track length, the headphones hold well over 14 hours worth of music and the rechargeable battery life is about 8 hours.
      Nick Matthew, the 2006 British Open squash champion now uses the player to train with and Mi-SPORT are endeavouring to encourage
      more athletes to enjoy the benefits of training to wire-free music, podcasts or coaching aids. Inspiration and freedom at last, for
      athletes and exercise enthusiasts everywhere.
      Check it out at: http://www.mi-sportmp3.com/

      13. Labour Day Oakville Half-Marathon and 10/2K - Oakville, ON
      http://www.oakvillehalfmarathon.com/

      ASSOCIATIONS: The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional Organization for the Running Industry.
      http://www.runningusa.org/

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS: Check the "New Subscribers' note at the bottom of the newsletter

      Add the Runner's Web News feed to your site through a simple JavaScript. Check out OnTri.com's implementation at:
      http://www.ontri.com/runnersweb.html
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is now available

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet Explorer from the link on our FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com . We have added a button for Lauren Groves, Triathlete.

      If anyone is looking for a web mail provider, you might wish to consider Google's GMail. You can now sign up for free Gmail at
      Google WITHOUT AN INVITATION at: www.gmail.com

      We have added a new event calendar. It is available for event directors to add events at:
      http://runnersweb.mhsoftware.com/

      Activa Specials:
      Save 10% off everything at Activa
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000026616228&pubid=21000000000028567

      Free Shipping at Activa ($125 min)
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000024097319&pubid=21000000000028567

      For the month of September, Footlocker.com will be offering 2 coupons. 20% off $99. [Code LKS18PD2, valid 8/30-10/6]. Also, get Free
      Shipping on $99 or more. [Code LKS18PF9, valid 8/30-10/6].
      http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=pgaZgw/VDU4&offerid=101680.10000260&type=3&subid=0

      Puma - Save 20% off All Orders with Coupon Code BTS77 through 9/30/08
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000026582689&pubid=21000000000028567

      Free Shipping for all orders at ChampionUSA.com!
      http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=vVGS2V*0iZg&offerid=139837.10000169&type=3&subid=0

      Free Shipping at Activa Sports with $125 Purchase
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000024097319&pubid=21000000000028567

      Watch live and webcast of Track and Field and Road races on Universal Sports
      Sign up at:
      http://www.universalsports.com//SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23000&KEY=&SPID=13055&SPSID=105551

      I've created a Runner's Web Group on Facebook. To join the Runner's Web Facebook group, if you are not a member of Facebook, you

      mailto:webmaster@... or leave your comments in one of our Forums at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/forum.html or from our FrontPage.

      We have 2,410 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe at:

      ROAD RUNNER SPORTS
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/Mobile_RRS.html

      * BREAKSWEAT.TV
      We have partnered with Breaksweat TV to provide us with video content.
      Simply Sports Media is part of a large group called Simply Media, which operates more than 25 digital TV channels, including 6 on
      satellite and cable. Simply Media has developed and continues to expand on premium content for TV, web, mobile, captive Audience
      Networks, and IPTV.
      Breaksweat.tv was recently launched to provide instant access to premium video content covering outdoor sports. The innovative
      online channel uses a system called, Brightcove to continually and seamlessly deliver content to its users, whilst providing
      easy-to-use navigation.
      Breaksweat TV is not a user generated website, or a broadcasting channel; rather it is a platform used to host Breaksweat.tv's
      independently produced video content, and content it obtains from key relationships in the outdoor sports industry. By applying this
      strategy to supply content for its viewers, SnowZone.tv is able to showcase video content that is unique, high-quality, and
      continuous filled with updated material.
      For more information and to visit other existing channels in the Simply Media network, please visit:
      http://www.simply.tv/

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey. Sheila is one of Ottawa's top multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C
      Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public Health and works in the field of nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the
      University of California, San Diego. Her column index is available at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/SK_index.html

      * Carmichael Training Systems Carmichael Training Systems was founded in 1999 by Chris Carmichael. From the beginning, the mission
      of the company has been to improve the lives of individuals we work with through the application of proper and effective fitness and
      competitive training techniques. Whether your focus is recreational, advanced, or you are a professional racer, the coaching
      methodology employed by CTS will make you a better athlete. Check the latest monthly column from CTS at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/cts_columns.html.
      Carmichael Training Systems at:
      http://www.trainright.com/promos.asp?code=DSBYBFCSP

      * Peak Running Performance Peak Running Is The Nation's Most Advanced Running Newsletter. Rated as the #1 Running Publication by
      Road Runner Sports (Worlds Largest Running Store) , Peak Running caters to the serious / dedicated runner. Delivering world class
      running advice are some of running's most recognizable athletes including Dr. Joe Vigil (US Olympic Coach), Scott Tinley (2 Time
      Ironman Champ) Steve Scott (3 Time Olympian) and many more. This bi-monthly newsletter has been around for over 13 years, and in the
      past two it has been awarded the "Golden Shoe Award" in recognition of it's outstanding achievements.

      * Running Research News: RRN's free, weekly, training update provides subscribers with the most-current, practical, scientifically
      based information about training, sports nutrition, injury prevention, and injury rehabilitation. The purpose of this weekly e-zine
      is to improve subscribers' training quality and to help them train in an injury-free manner. Running Research News also publishes a
      complete, 12-page, electronic newsletter 10 times a year (one-year subscriptions are $35); to learn more about Running Research
      News, please see the Online Article Index and "About Running Research News" sections below or go to RRNews.com. Check out the
      article index at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RRN_index.html

      community. We have ONE personal posting this week.
      ONE:
      I need help! For the last year, I have contacted several organizations that may fund all or part of our high school track. Most of
      them require written grants to be submitted. I have forwarded that information on to the school, but it is very time consuming. We
      live in a small town called Momence, IL. The school district had the track re-surfaced about seven years ago, but found after a
      couple years, the surface started cracking and was not done properly. They cannot afford to re-surface it again after having to
      spend tax dollars on an addition to the high school. Our track was used for both the junior high and high school students. My
      daughter has been in track for three years and has gone to state twice in three events. I am getting desperate to find an
      organization(s) that will help us to fund the re-surfacing of the track. Can anyone help?
      Dawn (mailto:dawnybear003@...)

      THIS WEEK'S DIGEST ARTICLE INDEX:

      1. VO2max - The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com
      2. The Complete Electrolyte Story
      3. Kenyans, Ethiopians carry oxygen in their body tissues for longer periods
      4. Get Smart: Safe Running for Women
      5. This Week in Running (Last Week)
      6. Science At The Olympics: Can Neuroscience Provide a Mental Edge?
      7. Southampton Wind Tunnel Blows Gold In Beijing
      8. Is there too much athletic activity among some children?
      9. A Mortal Among the Ethiopians
      Running with the Ethiopian mystique.
      10. Baby on Board
      Get the low-down on running safely during pregnancy.
      11. Lactate Threshold
      12. 10 Commandments of Training
      13. The Physiology of the World Record Holder for the Women's Marathon
      14. A Quirky Athletic Tape Gets Its Olympic Moment
      15. Post-Workout Nutrition
      16. Exercise Can Help Memory
      17. Fueling the Runner: Breakfast, Lunch and Practice
      18. This Week in Running
      19. When Training Backfires: Hard Work That's Too Hard

      "Will Usain Bolt run sub 9:50 for the 100m?"

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage ( http://www.runnersweb.com) as well as checking the results of previous polls.

      LAST WEEK'S POLL RESULTS:
      "Whose Olympic performance(s) was/were the most impressive?
      1. Usain Bolt, men's sprints 14%
      2. Kenenisa Bekele, 5/10K 9%
      3. Tirunesh Dibaba, 5/10K 36%
      4. Sammy Wanjiru, men's marathon 32%
      5. Other 9%

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE MONTH: Universal Sports
      Universal Sports, formerly World Championship Sports Network (WCSN), a joint venture between NBC Sports and InterMedia Partners,
      serves as the preeminent multiplatform destination for Olympic and lifestyle sports programming. The Universal Sports Television
      Network and UniversalSports.com deliver an immersive experience via exclusive live and on-demand coverage of world-class
      competitions, interaction with top athletes and in-depth access to sports news and information year round.
      Offering more than 1,000 live events and 7,000 hours of annual original event programming including an excess of 5,000 hours of
      archival programming, Universal Sports delivers the content sports fans want whenever, wherever they are on multiple platforms.
      Whether in front of the television, online, on a mobile device or listening to satellite radio, Universal Sports provides fans
      comprehensive coverage of more than 40 sports disciplines. Currently Universal Sports holds exclusive long-term programming
      agreements across a number of key International Federations and National Governing Bodies including the International Rowing
      Federation (FISA), International Swimming Federation (FINA), International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF),
      International Ski Federation (FIS), the International Cycling Union (UCI) and the International Gymnastics Federation (FIG).
      Major championship and Olympic qualifying events found on Universal Sports range from Track & Field, Skiing, Swimming, Gymnastics
      and Cycling, to Volleyball, Marathons, Karate, Speed Skating and Taekwondo.
      Universal Sports is dedicated to providing year round, in depth coverage of these important and exciting sports to reach millions of
      fans around the world for whom they represent a way of life. Universal Sports is committed to expanding the audience by delivering
      programming that exemplifies the best of the human spirit. Universal Sports enables fans to interact with world-class champions by
      getting to know the up and coming athletes through blogs, interviews and their own broadcast commentary.
      Universal Sports will represent a new standard for coverage of Olympic sports in the U.S. and expanding the availability and growing
      popularity of these great sports and athletes. In addition to serving Olympic fans everywhere, Universal Sports provides a
      year-round destination for the elite and everyday athletes.
      Visit the site at:
      http://www.universalsports.com//SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23000&KEY=&SPID=13055&SPSID=105551

      BOOK/VIDEO/MOVIE OF THE MONTH: SPIRIT OF THE MARATHON
      Spirit of the Marathon is the first ever non-fiction feature film to capture the drama and essence of the famed 26.2 mile running
      event. Filmed on four continents, the movie brings together a diverse cast of amateur athletes and marathon luminaries.
      As six unique stories unfold, each runner prepares for and ultimately faces the challenge of the Chicago Marathon. More than a
      sports movie, Spirit of the Marathon is an inspirational journey of perseverance and personal triumph; a spectacle that will be
      embraced by runners and non-runners alike.
      More...from (and watch the trailer) at:
      http://www.marathonmovie.com/home.html
      Find a theatre and purchase tickets at:
      http://www.marathonmovie.com/newscreen.html

      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html and http://www.runnersweb.com/running/amazon.html

      THIS WEEK'S FEATURES:

      1. VO2max - The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com:
      * Training Adaptations
      How much you adapt to a training stimulus ultimately depends on how responsive your cells are to signals. Muscle cells are able to
      detect all kinds of signals: mechanical, metabolic, neural, and hormonal, which are amplified and transmitted via signaling cascades
      and lead to the events involved in gene expression. This signaling is fast, occurring within minutes of completing a workout.
      Signaling results in the activation of transcription factors, which are proteins that bind to a specific part of DNA and control the
      transfer of genetic information from DNA to RNA.
      Many of the physiological and biochemical adaptations to training begin with your DNA, with the copying of one of its double helical
      strands (a process called replication). The replicated DNA strand, under the action of transcription factors, is then transcribed
      into messenger RNA (a process called transcription), and the messenger RNA is then translated into a protein (a process called
      translation). Finally, the protein is transported from the nucleus of the cell where transcription and translation occur to the
      place where it will function.
      While a single workout alone, especially if it is new to you, introduces a specific signal and activation of transcription factors,
      repeated workouts will lead to a concerted accumulation of messenger RNAs that can be translated into a host of structural and
      functional proteins. In the case of endurance training, the accumulation of proteins is manifested, for example, as an increase in
      the number of mitochondria in your muscles, which is where aerobic metabolism occurs.
      When you begin a training program, you will experience many signaling responses and subsequent adaptations. However, continual
      training at the same level decreases the exercise-specific signaling responses involved in the adaptations to training. In other
      words, if your training stays the same, you can expect your performances to stay the same. For example, if you run 15 miles when
      you're used to running only 12, you will send a strong signal to make specific adaptations (increase in mitochondria, muscle
      glycogen content, etc.).
      If you continue to run 15 miles every Sunday for a period of time, you'll continue to send signals to make adaptations until those
      adaptations are fully realized. After you have run 15 miles so many times that you have become habituated to it, a 15-mile run will
      no longer be enough of a stimulus to initiate any further adaptations. Therefore, if you want to force more adaptations, you must
      run longer than 15 miles. To become a faster runner, you have to gradually and systematically increase the amount of stress so that
      you increase the
      signaling response.
      * Mileage vs. Time
      As runners, we tend to think a lot about mileage. Indeed, it's the number of miles we run each week that often defines our status
      as runners. The more miles we run, the more we're validated. Even other runners will ask you how much mileage you run and make
      judgments about you based on the answer you give. However, the amount of time spent running is more important than the number of
      miles since a faster runner will cover the same amount of distance in less time than a slower runner. For example, a runner who
      averages 10-minute mile pace for 28 miles per week is running the same amount of time as a runner who averages 7-minute mile pace
      for 40 miles per week (280 minutes per week), and therefore is experiencing the same amount of stress. And that's what matters--the
      stress. The same is true when you?re doing long runs in preparation for a marathon--don't worry about running 20 miles or 21 miles
      or 22 miles. Focus on lengthening the time. Your body has no comprehension of what a mile is; it only knows how hard it's working
      and how long it's working. Effort over time.
      To view past newsletters go to: http://www.runcoachjason.com/newsletter
      Copyright Jason Karp All Rights Reserved - http://www.runcoachjason.com

      2. The Complete Electrolyte Story:
      by Shawn Dolan PhD, RD, CSSD
      Introduction: Electrolytes, the mineral salts that conduct the electrical energy of the body, perform a cellular balancing act by
      allowing nutrients into the cell, while helping to remove waste products. Certain elements, such as sodium, chloride, magnesium,
      calcium and potassium, play a primary role in cellular respiration - that of muscle contraction and nerve impulse transmission. It
      is in the cell membrane where these electrolytes conduct electrical currents similar to nerve impulses. Hydration is the medium
      which aids electrolyte transport and is crucial for both the health and performance of the cell. An athlete's hydration state is
      mostly dependent upon water intake or loss thru sweat, but it is also heavily influenced by electrolyte status.
      Sweat: Endurance performance is compromised more by warmer temperatures than by cooler temperatures. Here's why: to control an
      excessive rise in body temperature, the blood flow to the skin increases in order to dissipate heat to the environment...
      More...from First Endurance at:
      http://blog.firstendurance.com/2008/08/the-complete-electrolyte-story/

      3. Kenyans, Ethiopians carry oxygen in their body tissues for longer periods:
      It's the world's most exclusive club - those who have ever run the 100m dash in less than 10 seconds. And there's no white man in
      it. All 64 members of this club, led by Usain Bolt, who set a world record at Beijing, are black.
      In 200m, only 37 runners have ever finished below 20 seconds, and 35 of them are black. In the middle distance races of 400, 800 and
      1,500 metres, you may find a few whites. But in the long distance endurance races like 5,000 and 10,000 metres, again there are no
      whites among those holding the top 50 timings.
      In events that involve sheer strength, like shot put, discus, javelin and hammer throw, the situation is exactly the opposite. There
      is not a single black in the top 50 records in hammer throw and javelin, while there is only one black each in shot put and discus.
      Among women, the situation is similar though not marked by such extreme polarization. Women runners from the erstwhile socialist
      bloc, and now from China, figure in the top 50, but there is a predominance of black athletes.
      In the last three decades, athletics, like all sports, has become more and more globalised. Athletes from many small countries are
      participating in international competitions, and technologies are more freely accessible, although at steep costs. In this levelling
      of the playing field, the rise of black power has stunned the world once used to seeing only whites on the podium.
      What is behind this polarization? Is it in the genes or is it the desire to win?
      More...from Times of India at:
      http://olympics.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/The_secret_behind_their_success/articleshow/3391095.cms

      4. Get Smart: Safe Running for Women:
      By Lora Shinn
      Runners have many hazards to avoid, like wayward drivers, loose dogs and ankle-breaking cracks. But women face a few more hazards
      than the average runner - like creepy guys in long coats and slowly-cruising cars.
      Sheri Allain, a young mom from Toronto, knows all about those creepy guys, or at least one of them. As she ran solo at dusk in
      midtown Toronto, she saw a man standing in a trench coat - his personal parts waving in the wind. "It wasn't particularly scarring
      or scary, just gross," she recalls. "Luckily it was dusk, so I didn't have to see his glory in full light."
      Today, Allain runs alone only in the early morning. "My theory is that crazies come out at night," she says. Although runners
      frequently wave at one another when passing, she feels she's become wary of strangers' gestures. "Every young man is an unknown
      threat," she says. "It's sad but true."
      Flashers don't just limit themselves to twilight or urban landscapes, however, as Lori Baird can attest to. An avid runner from
      Montreal who leads female running groups, Baird was flashed, twice, on quiet Sunday mornings in a Montreal suburb.
      While the experiences didn't stop Baird from hitting the dirt in Mount Royal Park or on Montreal's back-country roads, it did make
      her more aware and take precautions for future runs. "I think running by oneself is just like any other safety issue as a woman - be
      smart, be aware, and have an exit plan or strategy."
      More...fromiRun at:
      http://www.irunnation.com/october-2008/get-smart.php

      5. This Week in Running (Last Week):
      10 Years Ago- Stefano Baldini (ITA) won the European Championships (HUN) Marathon in 2:12:01 as
      the Italian men swept the medals. Danilo Goffi took the silver with his 2:12:11
      while Vincenzo Modica took the bronze with a 2:12:53. Manuela Machado (POR) won
      the next day's women's gold with a 2:27:10. Madina Biktagirova (RUS) took the silver
      medal with a 2:28:01 and Maura Viceconte (ITA) collected the bronze medal with her
      2:28:31.
      20 Years Ago- The 55th running of the Durban Athletic Club (RSA) Marathon was won by Willie Motolo
      with a time of 2:14:36. He was followed by Raymond Bantom (RSA) in 2:15:03 and Aaron
      Mkoka (RSA) in 2:17:49. Forty-year-old Sonja Laxton (RSA) won the women's race by
      18 minutes (exactly) over Tilda Tearle (RSA) with her 2:36:59. Just three weeks ago,
      Laxton clocked a 44:35 for 10K at the age of 60.
      30 Years Ago- Cavin Woodward (ENG) took the 11th running of he Two Bridges (SCO) 36M with a 3:24:45.
      Robert Heron (SCO) was 2nd in 3:26:22 while Peter Orton (ENG) was 3rd in 3:28:09. This
      race continued until 2005 when it seems to have died, after 38 runnings.
      40 Years Ago- Ron Clarke (AUS) won a two mile track race in London ENG with a 8:19.6. Michael Tagg
      (ENG) was 2nd (time unknown to ADR) and Gerard Vervoort (FRA) was 3rd in 8:40.4.
      50 Years Ago- Zdislaw Krzyszkowiak (POL) took the gold medal in the European Championships (SWE) 5000m
      with a time of 13:53.4. Kazimierz Zimny (POL) took the silver medal with his 13:55.2
      while Gordon Pirie (ENG) took 3rd in 14:01.6. The next day's marathon was won by Sergey
      Popov (RUS) in world record 2:15:17.6, taking more than two minutes off Paavo Kotila's (FIN)
      2:18:04.8 record set two years previously. Ivan Filan (RUS) took the silver medal in
      2:20:50.6 while Frederick Norris (ENG) took the bronze in 2:21:15.0.
      From The Analytical Distance Runner, the newsletter for the Association of Road Racing Statisticians with a
      focus on races, 3000m and longer, including road, track, and cross-country events.

      6. Science At The Olympics: Can Neuroscience Provide a Mental Edge?
      For Olympic athletes, physical strength, speed, and stamina are a given. But when elite competitors go head to head, it can be the
      mind as much as the muscles that determines who wins. A collaboration between sports psychologists and cognitive neuroscientists is
      trying to figure out what gives successful athletes their mental edge.
      One focus is why some athletes rebound better than others after a poor performance. Even at the Olympic level, it's not uncommon for
      an athlete to blow a race early in a meet and then blow the rest of the meet, says Hap Davis, the team psychologist for the Canadian
      national swim team. To investigate why--and what might be done about it--Davis teamed up with neuroscientists including Mario Liotti
      at Simon Fraser University in Burnaby, Canada, and Helen Mayberg at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia.
      The researchers used functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to monitor brain activity in 11 swimmers who'd failed to make the
      2004 Canadian Olympic team and three who made the team but performed poorly. The researchers compared brain activity elicited by two
      video clips: one of the swimmer's own failed race and a control clip featuring a different swimmer. Watching their own poor
      performance sparked activity in emotional centers in the brain similar to that seen in some studies of depression, the researchers
      reported in June in Brain Imaging and Behavior. Perhaps more tellingly, the researchers found reduced activity in regions of the
      cerebral cortex essential for planning movements. Davis speculates that the negative emotions stirred up by reliving the defeat may
      affect subsequent performances by inhibiting the motor cortex.
      Davis and neuroscientist Dae-Shik Kim at Boston University (BU) School of Medicine are now using diffusion tensor imaging to
      visualize the connections between emotion and motor-planning brain regions. Kim hypothesizes that these connections might differ in
      athletes who are better able to shake off a bad performance. So far his team has scanned about a dozen BU athletes. Meanwhile, Davis
      and collaborators have been looking for interventions that would perk up the motor cortex. Additional fMRI studies, as yet
      unpublished, suggest that positive imagery--imagining swimming a better race, for example--boosts motor cortex activity, even when
      athletes see a videotaped failure. Jumping exercises have a similar effect, Davis says.
      More...from Sapere Audere at:
      http://sapereaudere.blogspot.com/2008/08/science-at-olympicscan-neuroscience.html

      7. Southampton Wind Tunnel Blows Gold In Beijing:
      Engineers using the University of Southampton's R J Mitchell wind tunnel have helped the British Cycling team win Gold in Beijing.
      The world-renowned Wolfson Unit for Marine Technology and Industrial Aerodynamics (WUMTIA) has carried out wind tunnel testing to
      accelerate the development of track bikes and riders for the Beijing Olympics.
      Using their expertise, they have focused on direct performance gains and improving understanding of the complex aerodynamics
      involved.
      WUMTIA engineer Dr Martyn Prince, who worked with British cyclists in the Southampton wind tunnel, said: "We congratulate the
      British Cycling team on this amazing achievement. It is great to be able to apply our engineering expertise in this way and a
      privilege to work with these top athletes.
      "We're delighted that we have been able to help them achieve Gold in Beijing, making all of our hard work together worthwhile."
      More...from Science Daily at:
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/08/080820081159.htm

      8. Is there too much athletic activity among some children?
      Although obesity, especially among sedentary children, is an increasing national health issue, doctors are also seeing a worrisome
      problem on the other end of the spectrum - too much athletic activity.
      As young peoples' participation in competitive sports soars, doctors are increasingly treating preventable athletic injuries that
      could have a lifelong impact if not properly treated. Untreated injuries in bones that have not yet fully formed could result in the
      incorrect growth of shoulders, elbows and knees.
      "Sports injuries are becoming the most common reason young people are going to the emergency room," said Jordan D. Metzl, M.D.,
      medical director of the Sports Medicine Institute for Young Athletes at New York City's Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS). Dr.
      Metzl, who has conducted studies on youth sports injuries, and other experts spoke recently at HSS's "2nd Annual Sports Medicine for
      Coaches Fall Sports Safety Seminar."
      Coaches and parents should be aware of warning signs and find a balance for young athletes. "Sports will always be injury-laden, but
      statistically it is safer to play sports than to travel to a game by car," said Dr. Metzl, himself an accomplished marathon runner
      and Ironman triathlete.
      Coaches and parents should be alert to pain clues in young people that signal the need for a doctor visit where enhanced imaging
      technology may be used in the diagnosis. Other interventions include changing the young person's competitive routine, adding
      strength training, improving nutrition and, as a last resort, undergoing surgical repair. Some common problem situations in which
      young athletes might play through the pain include:
      More...from Medical News Today at:
      http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/29467.php

      9. A Mortal Among the Ethiopians:
      Running with the Ethiopian mystique.
      Ethiopian runners have a certain mystique about them. After all, they currently dominate our sport, with the likes of Kenenisa
      Bekele running a 53-second final lap to win the gold medal in the 2004 Olympic 10,000m final and Haile Gebrselassie averaging 4:44
      miles to break the marathon world record.
      Two summers ago, as a member of the Westchester New York Track Club, I was fortunate enough to train with two of them: Kassahun
      Kabiso and Retta Feyissa, both of whom are 2:16 marathoners. I had ample opportunity to observe their training and attitude as they
      ran endless, unshaded mile repeats around tracks during the sweltering heat of a late New York summer.
      Training with them for just three months, I dropped my marathon PR by 5 minutes to 2:32. I owe some of these hard-won minutes to the
      lessons that they imparted as I propped myself up on my knees at the end of workouts. These lessons were not so much technical as
      they were mental: Do as I do, get in behind me, and watch.
      During our first workout together, we ran mile repeats. It was just the three of us. As soon as my watch started, I expected to
      fight just to hold on -- running at that impossible, Bekele-finishing-kick pace. It didn't happen.
      Instead, we came through our first quarter in a maintainable 76 seconds and, though I huffed and heaved, I half expected to finish
      that first mile with them in a perfect, tight train. I was ecstatic: I was keeping up with Ethiopians! But as I struggled to
      breathe, Retta and Kassahun quietly chatted comfortably in their native Amharic language.
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=13870

      10. Baby on Board:
      Get the low-down on running safely during pregnancy.
      By Sonia Mendes
      When she was pregnant with her first child, Marian Coke continued doing training runs right up until the day she gave birth, much to
      the shock of a few of the people who saw her running with a rounded belly on the paths of Ottawa.
      "I did get some strong reactions because I was very visibly pregnant - I was still running at 40 weeks," says Coke, 41. "During one
      run, a lady called out 'What are you doing? That's child abuse.'"
      It's nothing new that some people think it's dangerous for women to run while pregnant. After all, it wasn't so long ago that the
      prevailing wisdom was that even women who weren't pregnant could damage their reproductive organs by running anything further than
      800m. That's why Kathrine Switzer was almost tackled by an organizer when she became the first woman to run the Boston Marathon in
      1967 - five years before women were officially allowed to compete in it. And why there was no Olympic marathon for women until 1984.
      In those shockingly-recent dark ages, adding a bun to that supposedly-fragile oven would have been deemed, pardon the expression,
      inconceivable.
      More...from iRun at:
      http://www.irunnation.com/october-2008/baby-on-board.php

      11. Lactate Threshold:
      Regardless of the initial energy source-fat, protein, or carbohydrate-your body converts food to adenosine triphosphate (ATP). ATP
      is the body's energy nugget. It is what your muscles use to fuel their work. When you pedal your bike, the appropriate muscles start
      to fire and contract. As your exercise intensity increases, more muscle fibers must contract, and as a result you use more ATP.
      Because your muscles will continue to work only as long as they have an adequate supply of energy, your body uses two primary
      systems to ensure a constant flow of ATP. During exercise at lower intensity, your body primarily uses oxygen to make ATP. This is
      called aerobic metabolism. As intensity increases, your body starts to increase ATP production through another system that doesn't
      require oxygen: anaerobic metabolism. This is where lactic acid comes into play. Lactic acid is a marker of exercise intensity and
      anaerobic metabolism. As your exercise intensity increases, lactic acid concentration in your blood increases. Your body continually
      makes and removes lactic acid at all intensity levels, including getting up from your chair. However, at higher levels of intensity,
      lactic acid production rises.
      The key to performance in sport and exercise is balancing the rate of lactic acid production with the rate of lactic acid
      absorption. During light and moderate exercise, the body can absorb lactic acid more quickly than the muscle cells produce it, so
      the concentration of lactic acid in the blood remains low. However, as exercise intensity increases, the body eventually is unable
      to remove lactic acid at the same rate it produces it. This point is known as the lactate threshold (LT). Once you cross this
      threshold, excessive lactic acid in the blood interferes with efficient muscle contraction. As a result, high-intensity exercise
      stops: Your power output drops, pain increases, and you must slow down. Many books, articles, and coaches also use the term
      anaerobic threshold. Although there are subtle differences, you can think of these two terms as synonyms.
      More...from Inside Tri at:
      http://www.insidetri.com/article/71915/lactate-threshold

      12. 10 Commandments of Training:
      By Coach Matt Russ
      Athletes will often recognize certain training "truths" but violate them anyways. It is important to have a list of things you hold
      universal and try to stick to them. Often the rules that you break may be your own. Here are a list of some of my training
      "commandments."
      The greater the training load, the greater the recovery needed to benefit from it- So simple yet athletes will often attempt to
      train continuosly at a high volume, even after performance fades significantly. You are weaker after a work out and only gain
      performance after a period of recovery.
      Add small amounts of training stress over time- Big jumps in millage, intensity, or frequency are usually what pushes an athlete
      over the edge and may lead to an overuse injury.
      You can't train at a high rate of intensity year round- Sustained high intensity training must be used prescriptively and you will
      need regular physical and mental breaks from it. This applies to racing too frequently as well. Your body is a machine that will
      break down if pushed too hard.
      Your training performance will dictate your race performance- Don't expect miracles on race day. In order to race the speed you
      desire you must train it first.
      More...from the Sport Factory at:
      http://thesportfactory.com/site/qt/10_Commandments_of_Training.shtml

      13. The Physiology of the World Record Holder for the Women's Marathon:
      INTRODUCTION: PHYSIOLOGICAL LIMITATIONS TO ENDURANCE RUNNING PERFORMANCE
      "Endurance" might be usefully defined as the capacity to sustain a given speed or work rate for the longest possible time. The
      majority of the energy supply during exercise of greater than ~ 60-120 s duration is derived through oxidative metabolism and
      therefore performance in endurance sports is heavily dependent upon the aerobic resynthesis of adenosine triphosphate (ATP; the
      energy 'currency' of the cell). This requires an adequate delivery of O2 from the atmosphere to cytochrome oxidase in the
      mitochondrial electron transport chain and the availability of fuels in the form of carbohydrates and lipids.
      In distance running, the competitive events can be conveniently divided into the short endurance events (800 m and 1,500 m), the
      long endurance events (5,000 m, 10,000 m, and
      the Marathon) and the ultra-long endurance events (ultra-marathons). The limitations to performance in events spanning such a large
      range of exercise durations (from 101 s to
      several days) and exercise intensities (from ~ 50% to ~ 115% of maximal V˙O2) are likely to vary considerably [1-3]. For example, in
      the middle-distance events, the power and capacity of the anaerobic energy pathways and the athlete's ability to tolerate the
      consequent metabolic acidosis will impact on performance. In the longer events, the availability of
      metabolic substrate (principally muscle glycogen and blood glucose) and the ability to regulate core body temperature become
      progressively more important determinants of
      success [2-4]. Nevertheless, because all these events rely predominantly on energy supply through oxidative metabolism, there are a
      number of parameters of 'aerobic fitness'
      (reviewed below) that are important across the entire spectrum of endurance events [1].
      Some of the physiological factors that are known to be related to endurance running performance include: maximal O2 uptake (V˙O2
      max); running economy; and the fractional
      utilisation of the V˙O2 max (which is itself related to markers of blood lactate accumulation during exercise, including the lactate
      threshold and maximal lactate steady state; [2, 4]). The rate at whichV˙O2 rises following the onset of exercise (i.e. theV˙O2
      kinetics) is also important in minimising the magnitude of the 'O2 deficit' that is incurred, although this will be much more
      important in the middle-distance events [1]. The manner in which these factors interact to determine the highest average speed that
      can be sustained during a distance running event is summarised in Figure 1, which is adapted from that presented by Coyle [2].
      More...from the Canadian Athletics Coaching Center at:
      http://tinyurl.com/6euayy

      14. A Quirky Athletic Tape Gets Its Olympic Moment:
      Watching Olympian Kerri Walsh compete in beach volleyball last week, many viewers were wondering the same thing: what is that black
      thing on her shoulder?
      A tattoo? A bizarre fashion statement? No. Ms. Walsh was sporting a new type of athletic tape called Kinesio, touted by physical
      therapists as a better way to relieve pain and promote healing of injured muscles.
      The appearance of Kinesio on the well-toned Ms. Walsh - she even wore it while meeting President Bush - has spurred international
      interest in the little-known brand. In black, pink, blue and beige, the tape has been spotted on a number of other Olympians,
      including the shoulder of U.S. water polo player Lauren Wenger and the elbows of Canadian Greco Roman wrestler Ari Taub. Members of
      Spain's basketball team and Jamaica's track team are wearing it.
      Ms. Walsh and the other athletes don't have endorsement deals with Kinesio USA; the company simply donated 50,000 rolls of the tape
      to 58 countries for use at the Olympic Games. But whether its appearance on the international athletic scene is a sign of its
      therapeutic benefit or just smart marketing remains to be seen.
      Traditionally, white athletic tapes are wrapped around gauze to form a stiff bandage that immobilizes a joint or muscle. By
      comparison, the 100-percent cotton Kinesio tape is said to be modeled on the thickness and elasticity of real skin. The flexible
      tape is applied to the skin in specific patterns, depending on the injury, a technique designed to create support and guide injured
      muscles and joints without limiting the athlete's range of motion.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/08/19/a-quirky-athletic-tape-gets-its-olympic-moment/

      15. Post-Workout Nutrition:
      by Bob Seebohar, MS, RD, CSSD, CSCS
      Post-workout or recovery nutrition? The terms have been somewhat interchangeable among athletes and there is a distinct difference
      which is important to know.
      Recovery nutrition, often thought of as the "window of opportunity" in the first 30-60 minutes following a workout includes
      everything but this time period. "Recovery nutrition begins before a training session starts". Think about that and it will make
      complete sense. The goal is to be well-hydrated and nourished before a training session in order to maximize the training session
      quality. It will be extremely difficult to maintain a certain power output, pace or heart rate if the body is not properly fueled
      beforehand. Thus, recovery nutrition is actually comprised of your daily nutrition along with the before and during training session
      nutrition. Remember again, "recovery nutrition begins before a training session starts".
      Enter the term post-workout nutrition, which is a much more accurate description of recovering nutritionally following a tough
      training session. There are a number of nutrition tips that will maximize your ability to completely replenish the carbohydrates
      that you use during your workout which I will list shortly. First, it is important to understand that, coupled with proper recovery
      nutrition as I described above, a well-executed post-workout nutrition plan can fully replenish glycogen stores in 12-16 hours.
      While this may seem long, not going into a workout with a full "gas tank" (fluid and carbohydrate) and not implementing the
      following post-workout nutrition guidelines will push your recovery time to up to 24 hours! I haven't met an athlete yet who would
      choose the latter option.
      More...from First Endurance at:
      http://blog.firstendurance.com/2008/08/post-workout-nutrition/

      16. Exercise Can Help Memory:
      A new Australian research effort has demonstrated that regular physical activity can lead to a lasting improvement in memory
      function.
      In the new study, West Australian health experts discovered that just 20 minutes of activity each day can prevent memory
      deterioration among older people. The WA Centre for Health and Ageing (WACHA) trial results are published in the Journal of the
      American Medical Association.
      WACHA director Professor Leon Flicker said people over the age of 50 could pro-actively prevent memory deterioration by joining in
      simple and easy exercises each day.
      "What our trial tells us is that older people who take up some form of aerobic exercise for as little as 20 minutes a day will be
      more likely to remember things like shopping lists, family birthdays and friend's names," he said.
      "People don't have to run a marathon to get the benefits - it's as simple as doing some forms of simple activity like walking or
      dancing, every day for around 20 minutes.
      "The results of this trial are very encouraging and a great step forward in helping older people improve their memory and
      potentially delay the progression of dementia which can eventually lead to Alzheimer's disease."
      More...from PsychCentral at:
      http://psychcentral.com/news/2008/09/03/exercise-can-help-memory/2872.html

      17. Fueling the Runner: Breakfast, Lunch and Practice:
      Arranging your eating to wind up with energy left when you need it most.
      Wow has the summer flown by! It is already the time of year where school preparations begin. Getting to know your new teammates is
      always a wonderful way to enter a new school year. A sigh of relief can be heard since the grueling two-a-days of summer cross
      country practice have passed, and a feeling of anticipation mounts for the fall season ahead. Dinner table conversation may be
      changing from questions of being able to cover the distance to a potential top seven berth.
      Learning the ropes of a new school routine can be tricky. You have to get down the bus or car-pool schedule, a new lunch hour, and
      of course get used to the rigorous practice routine following a full day of class. You may even be experiencing the different
      stresses involved in the pursuit of a running career as a collegiate athlete. With so many things to prepare for, it is easy for
      nutrition to take a back seat. How can the very thing that will fuel you through your crazy schedule be forgotten?
      A major contributor to the highs and lows a high school runner experiences at practice is related to how he eats during the first
      half of the day. If the diet is lacking in either calories or nutrition it would make sense why a blank look is all a coach may get
      when trying to gain attention in the middle of a workout. The most common downfalls that affect high school athletes are: 1) Rushing
      out the door and missing a good breakfast, 2) Dislike of the school lunch thus eating very little or skipping the meal all
      together, and 3) High consumption of sugar beverages.
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=14187

      18. This Week in Running:
      10 Years Ago- Ambesse Tolossa (ETH) won the Hokkaido (JPN) Marathon in 2:10:13, setting an event
      record in the 12th running of this race. Japanese runners took 2-3 with Masaki Higa
      at 2:14:08 and Nobuyuki Kajiyama in 2:14:27. Eri Yamaguchi led a Japanese sweep in
      the women's race, also setting an event record at 2:27:36. Tomoe Abe and Ai Sugihara
      completed the sweep with 2:31:12 and 2:33:08 respectively. Tolossa's record still
      stands while Yamaguchi's record lasted for four years until Chika Horie (JPN) ran 2:26:11
      in 2002.
      20 Years Ago- Abraha Arega (ETH) won the Maggie Valley Moonlight Run (NC/USA) 8K in 23:00, well
      ahead of Keith Brantly (USA) in 23:24 and John Tuttle (USA) in 23:50. Margaret Groos
      (USA) won the women's race in 26:48 followed by Teresa Ornduff (USA) in 27:09 and
      Jennifer Martin (USA) in 27:32. This race then had a period of five years with
      substantial prize money and quality fields but these declined as prize money was markedly
      decreased and recently, the 30th running, scheduled for 2008 was cancelled.
      30 Years Ago- The European Championships (CZE) 5000m was won by Venanzio Ortis (ITA) in 13:28.57 in
      a very close contest. Markus Ryffel (SUI) and Aleksandr Fedotkin (BLR) received the
      silver and bronze medals respectively with identical times of 13:28.6 while John
      Treacy (IRL) just lost out on the medals with his 13:28.8 in 4th.
      40 Years Ago- Keisuke Sawaki pulled off the 5000m/10000m double at the Japanese championships,
      clocking a 14:09.6 in the 5000m and coming back the next day to win the 10,000m
      in 28:58.0.
      50 Years Ago- John J Kelley (the younger) led a USA 1-2 sweep of the North American Championships
      (Saint Hyacinthe PQ/CAN) Marathon with his 2:31:57.3, winning by more than 25 minutes
      over Ted Corbitt who clocked in at 2:57:10.4.
      From The Analytical Distance Runner, the newsletter for the Association of Road Racing Statisticians with a
      focus on races, 3000m and longer, including road, track, and cross-country events.

      19. When Training Backfires: Hard Work That's Too Hard:
      UNTIL last spring, running was going great for 15-year-old Erik Kraus. He had been training hard without a break for 18 months and
      was becoming faster and faster.
      Then, when spring track started, something went awry. Every time he raced 1,500 meters, his time was 15 seconds slower than in the
      previous race.
      Erik's father, Dr. William Kraus, a runner himself and a cardiologist at Duke University who studies exercise, was concerned. Erik
      was tired all the time; his legs felt heavy; he was frustrated, irritable. Could it be the condition that athletes dread:
      overtraining?
      Overtraining is the downside of training, the trap that can derail an athlete's success. It's a real physical condition caused by
      pushing too hard for too long. It can happen with too much exercise, too much intense exercise, or both. Its hallmarks are poor
      performances, exhaustion and apathy.
      "You just feel bad," said Dr. William O. Roberts, an internist at the University of Minnesota who specializes in treating athletes
      and is a former president of the American College of Sports Medicine. "The spark is gone."
      It can come on so insidiously that before athletes know it, they find themselves trapped in a downward spiral. The harder they
      train, the worse they do.
      But there's another trap - the overdiagnoses of overtraining, said Dr. Steven Keteyian, the director of preventive cardiology at
      Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/04/health/nutrition/04BEST.html?_r=1&ref=fitnessandnutrition&oref=slogin

      20. Digest Briefs:
      * Ask the Coaches: Strides Per Minute
      Q: Finding My Ideal Stride Rate: I am 39 and have been running since the fall of 2004. My PRs are 18:22 for the 5k and 3:14 for the
      marathon. I am currently running mostly 50ks and 50 milers. Most of the training I do is on rolling hills, about half on roads and
      half on trails, averaging about 60 miles/week. I am 6'7" and feel that my stride is too short. I usually average around 170
      strides/minute on my easy runs. Is there anything I can do to increase the length of my stride?
      --Dave from Knoxville, TN
      A: Dave,
      Wow, that is an impressive range. You must be doing a whole lot of things right.
      Some years back a really excellent international distance coach (Jack Tupper Daniels) observed several Olympic distance races and
      counted the pace cadences of various runners. What he found was that almost all international caliber distance runners tended to
      run at a rate of about 180 steps per minute, regardless of height.
      If anything, I would imagine that you want to avoid over-striding in ultra-marathons, where economy is vital. Best of luck to you.
      [Ed. Note: You can read about the effect of your stride rate, and drills to help maximize your stride rate in this Lab Report
      article
      (http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=8732) from our September 2006 issue.]
      --Coach Ayer
      * Stressed? Physical Activity Can Help
      One of the huge benefits of regular physical activity is the way it helps us handle stress and other emotional aspects of our lives.
      We all have things that get us worried or stressed -whether it's family, work, school, our health, or anything else. Whatever it may
      be, regular exercise can help.
      Here's what Dr. Stephen Aldana, professor of lifestyle medicine at BYU, had to say in his book The Culprit and the Cure:
      "A review of 34 studies showed that sedentary individuals who started engaging in physical activity had a more subdued response to
      stressful situations; stressful events didn't upset them as much" (pg 148).
      He continued: "Regular physical activity can impact the mental and emotional aspects of life and improve your quality of life.
      Exercise is like a combination of psychotherapy, physical therapy, and stress management -all concentrated in one 30-minute session"
      (pg. 148).
      I love the mental benefits that regular exercise gives me. On days that I don't want to workout, but I force myself to, I feel so
      good after. Not just because my body feels better, but because mentally I feel like I accomplished something. I feel like I have
      more energy and that my mind is sharper.
      If you're stressed, anxious, or worried about something, try getting more physical activity. Create a habit of getting physical
      activity on most days of the week. It may help you cope with the situations you face everyday and help you feel a whole lot better.
      Guess what? You don't have to wait until tomorrow to start either. You can start today! Get up and get moving.
      * Quick Tip
      By Robert Kunz MS
      Gluten Free Bars
      Eating a Gluten FREE diet has become a hot topic lately even for those athletes who are not gluten intolerant or been clinically
      diagnosed with celiac disease. Gluten, a protein found in rye, wheat and barley, is a common ingredient in many of the foods we eat.
      Many athletes have found that gluten causes their digestive system to slow down and get backed up and hence refrain from gluten for
      any pre-exercise meals. Unlike most Energy Bars, EFS bars are 100% Gluten Free, making them ideal as a pre or during exercise snack.

      THIS WEEK'S FEATURED EVENTS:
      *Please verify event dates with the event websites available from our FrontPage (www.runnersweb.com)*

      September 5, 2008:
      Memorial Van Damme - Bruxelles, BEL

      September 6, 2008:
      Alta Peruvian Lodge Downhill Dash 8K - Alta, UT

      Mackinac Island 8 Mile - Mackinac Island, MI

      Thousand Islands Parkway Half-Marathon & 5K - Brockville, ON

      September 6-7, 2008:
      Köln Triathlon / Cologne226 - Germany

      September 7, 2008:
      Monaco Ironman 70.3 - Monaco

      June 20, 2008
      Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women - Ottawa, ON
      http://www.emiliesrun.com

      mailto:webmaster@... to notify us of the problem. To update your Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the
      web.

      Ken

      Ken Parker
      www.RunnersWeb.com
      mailto:kparker@...
      613-746-4053
      http://www.OACRacingTeam.com
      http://www.EmiliesRun.com

      RUNNER'S WEB AFFILIATE PROGRAMS:
      All revenue from advertisers and affiliate programs goes into the support of running and triathlon through sponsorship of events,
      teams, clinics and fund raising programs for Canada's Olympic athletes.

      XM Satellite Radio
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000021517490

      Puma
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000005110141&pubid=21000000000028567

      Champion
      http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=h1QosBYBFXw&offerid=113858.10000144&type=1&subid=0

      Nike
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000015009821

      Free Ground Shipping on Orders of $175 or More at Patagonia.com
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000012303508&pubid=21000000000028567

      Peak Performance Online:

      Carmichael Training Systems at:
      http://www.trainright.com/promos.asp?code=DSBYBFCSP

      Reebok
      http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/stat?id=h1QosBYBFXw&offerid=117802&type=3&subid=0

      Your very own personal trainer at a fraction of the cost
      http://www.cartville.com/app/?af=473063

      Check out TotalWellness's mp3 Personal Training Program - only 5% the Cost of Regular Personal Training!
      http://www.totalwellnessconsulting.ca/fitter_u_totalwellness.htm

      Geezer Jock Magazine, The Masters Sports & Fitness Magazine
      http://www.geezerjock.com/index.cfm?affID=runnersweb

      Athletes, Coaches, Trainers and Physio's
      ..new software designs unlimited stretching routines with ease!
      Design unlimited stretching routines today, starting from scratch, in under 60 seconds!
      http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/cmd.php?af=245575&u=http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/products/instantstretch.htm

      Mental Strength Training Center:
      http://www.memberstar.com/redir_a.php?LFAId=1027

      National Bik<br/><br/>(Message over 64 KB, truncated)