Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest - August 1, 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2008
      A FREE WEEKLY E-ZINE OF MULTISPORT RELATED ARTICLES. The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is a weekly e-zine dealing with the
      sports of running and triathlon and general fitness and health issues. The opinions expressed in the articles referenced by the
      Digest are the opinions of the writers and not necessarily those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at
      http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out our daily news, features, polls, trivia, bulletin
      boards and more. General questions should be posted to one of our forums available from our FrontPage.

      1. Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women - Canada's Fastest Women's 5K
      Emilie's Run is over for another year. Almost 300 women completed the race with 38 women running under 20:00
      For more on the race visit the website at:
      http://www.emiliesrun.com.
      Join Emilie's Run Community and contribute at:
      http://groups-beta.google.com/group/emiliesrun?hl=en

      3. Road Runner Sports, the world's largest running store at:
      New Arrivals from Nike With Web Exclusive Apparel and More!

      4. Toronto Waterfront Marathon, September 28, 2008
      http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/

      5. Goodlife Fitness Toronto Marathon - October 19, 2008
      http://www.torontomarathon.com/

      6. Training Peaks Training Peaks, LLC is dedicated to the endurance athlete and coach. With our industry leading software products,
      we're committed to help you monitor, analyze and plan your training. We encourage you to draw on our passion for excellence to help
      you reach your athletic dreams. Trusted by thousands. Dedicated to you.
      http://www.trainingpeaks.com/

      7. Running Free Running Free is a complete online running store with everything for the casual to serious runner. They also have
      retail stores in the GTA (Toronto) and Markham. Check them out at:
      http://www.runningfree.com

      8. January 4, 2008: Goodlife Fitness has come on board as a sponsor of Emilie's Run GoodLife Fitness - Coed or Women's Only Visit
      www.GoodLifeFitness.com today to receive 3 FREE Visits! Your 3 FREE visits include: . A Visual Fitness Planner Consultation . Fit
      Fix Orientation to learn how to exercise safely and effectively . Access to all cardio and strength-training equipment . Access to
      all of our world-class Group EXercise classes . A copy of Living the Good Life audio CD Get started today! Visit
      www.GoodLifeFitness.com Limited time offer.

      9. Watch over 50 IAAF Events Live and On-Demand. World Championship Sports Network ABOUT WCSN World Championship Sports Network
      (WCSN) is the premier destination for fans of Olympic and lifestyle sports, delivering an immersive experience via exclusive live
      and on demand coverage of world class competitions, interaction with top athletes and in depth access to sports news and information
      year round. WCSN offers comprehensive coverage of over 60 sports disciplines, through exclusive long term programming agreements
      across a number of key International Federations and National Governing Bodies. Major championship events in sports ranging from
      Athletics (Track & Field), Skiing, Swimming, Gymnastics and Cycling to Volleyball, Karate and Taekwondo are featured online at
      http://tinyurl.com/ysnvnh and on television via WCSN's weekly syndicated television program, World Championship Sports, available in
      more than 45 million US households. WCSN also markets Olympic sports in partnership with International Federations, National
      Governing Bodies, local organizations, clubs, sponsors, and through related websites and publications. WCSN is dedicated to
      providing year round, in depth coverage of these important and exciting sports to reach millions of fans around the world for whom
      they represent a way of life. WCSN is committed to expanding the audience by delivering programming that exemplifies the best of the
      human spirit. WCSN enables fans to interact with world class champions as well as get to know the up and coming athletes through
      blogs, interviews and their broadcast commentary. Consistent with the world class caliber of the sports it celebrates, WCSN delivers
      high quality production values, leveraging state-of-the-art-technology and next generation distribution platforms to provide an
      immersive, interactive experience available anytime, anywhere.
      Visit WCSN at: http://tinyurl.com/ysnvnh

      11. On August 5, 2008, uber ultra-runner Karl Meltzer will set off on the biggest race of his life. His challenge: to run the entire
      length of the 2,174-mile in less than 47 days.
      Definitely daunting. Absolutely grueling. Probably insane. But when he does it, he'll rule the AT as the guy who conquered it, all
      of it, the fastest on two feet.
      This is going to be Man vs. Nature, Man vs. Self, Man vs. Clock - and it's going to be good. So, check back. As Karl's start date
      draws near, this site will transform into mission control. With an interactive map featuring real-time GPS tracking of his progress,
      a blog, forums, videos, pictures and podcasts, whereskarl.com will be the place to keep track of the Speed Goat as he ticks off the
      miles on his way from Maine to Georgia. In the meantime, sign up for email updates* on Karl's training and racing leading up to his
      AT attack, feature additions to this site, and occasional discounts from Backcountry.com and other sponsors
      Check it out at:
      http://whereskarl.com/?utm_source=runnersweb&utm_medium=banner&utm_content=ad1&utm_campaign=whereskarl

      12. Mi-Sport - The Ultimate Sports MP3 Player Introducing the world's first and only waterproof and wireless sports mp3 player.
      These Mi-SPORT mp3 headphones have a 1GB memory built into a cool neckband design. At last no wire tangle and no earbuds to fall
      out. The patented design makes this waterproof/sweatproof mp3 player great for running, cycling and gym work. The player however is
      more than splash proof! It can be completely submerged with no harm to it making it perfect for swimming, kayaking, and water
      skiing. Now incorporating the latest 3D music quality with it's adapted waterproof speaker. Relax to music in the bath, or push out
      that training session with no fear of losing your player or tangling the wires. Circuit training is so much easier with your own
      music. Enjoy the waves wire-free. This is the only waterproof pair of classic headphones with a built in mp3 player in the world.
      The stylish looking headphones play the usual MP3, WMA and WAV formats and are compatible with Windows98/98SE/2000/XP and Apple MAC.
      Depending on track length, the headphones hold well over 14 hours worth of music and the rechargeable battery life is about 8 hours.
      Nick Matthew, the 2006 British Open squash champion now uses the player to train with and Mi-SPORT are endeavouring to encourage
      more athletes to enjoy the benefits of training to wire-free music, podcasts or coaching aids. Inspiration and freedom at last, for
      athletes and exercise enthusiasts everywhere.
      Check it out at: http://www.mi-sportmp3.com/

      13. Labour Day Oakville Half-Marathon and 10/2K - Oakville, ON
      http://www.oakvillehalfmarathon.com/

      ASSOCIATIONS: The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional Organization for the Running Industry.
      http://www.runningusa.org/

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS: Check the "New Subscribers' note at the bottom of the newsletter

      Add the Runner's Web News feed to your site through a simple JavaScript. Check out OnTri.com's implementation at:
      http://www.ontri.com/runnersweb.html
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is now available

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet Explorer from the link on our FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com . We have added a button for Lauren Groves, Triathlete.

      If anyone is looking for a web mail provider, you might wish to consider Google's GMail. You can now sign up for free Gmail at
      Google WITHOUT AN INVITATION at: www.gmail.com

      Speedo Summer Sale - Up to 75% Off Select Items
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000023388905&pubid=21000000000028567

      Watch live and webcast of Track and Field and Road races on WCSN.
      Sign up at:
      http://www.wcsn.com/sport/index.jsp?id=34003&affiliateID=hptRunWebLNAV1A021208&partnerId=hptRunWebLNAV1A021208

      I've created a Runner's Web Group on Facebook. To join the Runner's Web Facebook group, if you are not a member of Facebook, you

      mailto:webmaster@... or leave your comments in one of our Forums at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/forum.html or from our FrontPage.

      We have 2,404 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe at:

      * BREAKSWEAT.TV
      We have partnered with Breaksweat TV to provide us with video content.
      Simply Sports Media is part of a large group called Simply Media, which operates more than 25 digital TV channels, including 6 on
      satellite and cable. Simply Media has developed and continues to expand on premium content for TV, web, mobile, captive Audience
      Networks, and IPTV.
      Breaksweat.tv was recently launched to provide instant access to premium video content covering outdoor sports. The innovative
      online channel uses a system called, Brightcove to continually and seamlessly deliver content to its users, whilst providing
      easy-to-use navigation.
      Breaksweat TV is not a user generated website, or a broadcasting channel; rather it is a platform used to host Breaksweat.tv's
      independently produced video content, and content it obtains from key relationships in the outdoor sports industry. By applying this
      strategy to supply content for its viewers, SnowZone.tv is able to showcase video content that is unique, high-quality, and
      continuous filled with updated material.
      For more information and to visit other existing channels in the Simply Media network, please visit:
      http://www.simply.tv/

      * ACTIVE.COM RunnersWeb.com has teamed up with Active Trainer coaches to offer training programs that are a balance of aerobic,
      anaerobic and cross-training workouts. These training programs are built to get people of all levels across the finish line. From
      the first timer to the seasoned veteran you will find the right training plan for you. Good luck with your training and we will see
      you at the finish line. Training Log and Analysis: Log your daily workouts and monitor your progress along the way. Getting Started:
      Set a realistic goal for training. Review the list of training programs developed by Active Trainer Coaches. Select the program that
      best matches your current training schedule. If you have been inactive, select a conservative schedule to assure success and
      decrease the risk of injury. Plug in the start date or the date of your target race and go! The schedule will automatically be
      entered into your log. It is as simple as that... Training: Select the daily email to receive your training by the day or log on to
      your account and review the entire schedule. Use the interactive log to enter in valuable training information. The more information
      you enter in your personal log, the better. You will be able to use this information in the future to evaluate performance, keep
      track of what works and what doesn't and stay motivated to see just how far you've come.
      Sign up at:
      www.RunnersWebCoach.com OR http://training.active.com/ActiveTrainer/listing.do?listing=51

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey. Sheila is one of Ottawa's top multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C
      Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public Health and works in the field of nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the
      University of California, San Diego. Her column index is available at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/SK_index.html

      * Carmichael Training Systems Carmichael Training Systems was founded in 1999 by Chris Carmichael. From the beginning, the mission
      of the company has been to improve the lives of individuals we work with through the application of proper and effective fitness and
      competitive training techniques. Whether your focus is recreational, advanced, or you are a professional racer, the coaching
      methodology employed by CTS will make you a better athlete. Check the latest monthly column from CTS at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/cts_columns.html.
      Carmichael Training Systems at:
      http://www.trainright.com/promos.asp?code=DSBYBFCSP

      * Peak Running Performance Peak Running Is The Nation's Most Advanced Running Newsletter. Rated as the #1 Running Publication by
      Road Runner Sports (Worlds Largest Running Store) , Peak Running caters to the serious / dedicated runner. Delivering world class
      running advice are some of running's most recognizable athletes including Dr. Joe Vigil (US Olympic Coach), Scott Tinley (2 Time
      Ironman Champ) Steve Scott (3 Time Olympian) and many more. This bi-monthly newsletter has been around for over 13 years, and in the
      past two it has been awarded the "Golden Shoe Award" in recognition of it's outstanding achievements.

      * Running Research News: RRN's free, weekly, training update provides subscribers with the most-current, practical, scientifically
      based information about training, sports nutrition, injury prevention, and injury rehabilitation. The purpose of this weekly e-zine
      is to improve subscribers' training quality and to help them train in an injury-free manner. Running Research News also publishes a
      complete, 12-page, electronic newsletter 10 times a year (one-year subscriptions are $35); to learn more about Running Research
      News, please see the Online Article Index and "About Running Research News" sections below or go to RRNews.com. Check out the
      article index at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RRN_index.html

      community. We have ONE personal posting this week.
      ONE:
      Just joined this group. My girlfriend and I recently earned slots to Clearwater and are just looking for some insight/helpful hints
      on the race. We just finished Vineman 70.3 last weekend.
      Just some background on me since this is my first post....reformed marathoner trying the multisport route for a little variety.
      Live and train in Boulder Colorado.
      Thanks for any feedback,
      Charlie (mailto:ckelly197730@...)

      THIS WEEK'S DIGEST ARTICLE INDEX:

      1. Strength Training...Without Equipment
      2. Training: Why Endurance Training Lacks Staying Power
      3. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health e-Zine
      4. 'Wrong bras' can damage breasts
      5. Limiting Fatigue When You Run
      6. The intriguing problem of arrhythmias in competitive athletes
      7. High and Low - New Vision on Training
      8. Audio Interview with Dr. Gerry Ramogida
      9. HyperBaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) & Athletic Performance
      10. Ask the Experts: Exercise Well
      Dr. Paul D. Thompson: Should I run when I have a cold? How do I know if I'm too sick to exercise?
      11. Exercise Could Be The Heart's Fountain Of Youth
      12. Sweat And Hydration Issues Examined In Recently Released Journal Supplement
      13. Beat the Heat
      14. Low-Gravity Training Machine Reduces Joint, Muscle Impacts on Runners by Half, Says University of Colorado Study
      15. This Week in Running
      16. New research highlights supplements risk
      17. Fueling the Runner: Foods for the Freedom Run
      What to take when you're getting away.
      18. Scientists eye couch potato exercise, weight-loss pill
      19. A little stretching may not dampen muscle strength

      "Who will win the men's 100M at the Beijing Olympics?
      Usain Bolt
      Walter Dix
      Tyson Gay
      Francis Obikwelu
      Asafa Powell
      Other"

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage ( http://www.runnersweb.com) as well as checking the results of previous polls.

      LAST WEEK'S POLL RESULTS:
      "Which of the following workouts do you incorporate into your training on a regular basis?
      Answers Percent
      1. Long Runs 21%
      2. Tempo Runs 15%
      3. Hill Training 14%
      4. Pace Intervals 15%
      5. Speed Intervals 14%
      6. Running Drills 11%
      7. Pilates, Yoga, etc. 10%
      8. Other 1%

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE MONTH: The Educated Runner
      Owen Anderson, Ph. D., started EducatedRunner.com to give runners of all ages and ability levels factual information about training,
      sports nutrition, and injury prevention. Anderson’s goals include dispelling the many myths associated with running training and
      giving runners practical tips which can immediately be put to work to improve their fitness and performances. Owen Anderson is the
      author of three books - Lactate Lift-Off, Great Workouts for Popular Races, and Aurora.
      Click here for more about Owen and the Educated Runner mission:
      http://www.educatedrunner.com/About.aspx
      Visit the website at:
      http://www.educatedrunner.com

      BOOK/VIDEO OF THE MONTH: This Voice in My Heart: A Genocide Survivor's Story of Escape, Faith, and Forgiveness
      by Gilbert Tuhabonye (Author), Gary Brozek (Author)
      Book Description
      From Publishers Weekly
      In this inspirational autobiography woven with a gruesome eyewitness account, Tuhabonye recounts his maturation as a world-class
      runner and his survival of a Burundi massacre. Born in 1974 to a minority ethnic Tutsi family, Tuhabonye grew up in rural Burundi,
      his intelligence and industry aided by spectacular athletic ability. The narrative alternates between the author's life story and
      events on the day of the massacres. In October 1993, after a Tutsi coup ousted the Hutu president, a Hutu mob invaded Tuhabonye's
      high school, hacked many Tutsi students to death with machetes and forced the rest into a building that they set afire. Only the
      author survived. After months of painful recovery from severe burns, he regained the ability to walk and then run again, a healing
      process facilitated by his faith—a devout Christian, he says he forgave the murderers and praises God for sparing him. Tuhabonye
      joined Burundi's national team, traveled the world, fell in love and moved to the U.S., where he now lives with his wife and
      daughter—an uplifting ending to a simply told story of a man who persevered through hard work, luck, presence of mind and (he
      emphasizes) God's love. (May)
      Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. --This text refers to the Hardcover
      edition.
      Buy the book from Amazon at:
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00121AESY/runnersweb/102-0182896-9006569?v=glance&s=books

      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html and http://www.runnersweb.com/running/amazon.html

      THIS WEEK'S FEATURES:

      1. Strength Training...Without Equipment:
      You don't need equipment or gadgets to stretch and strengthen your muscles, and there are a surprising number of exercises for
      endurance and strength that you can do at home, when you travel, or even at the office, that don't cost a dime. And you don't have
      to do them all at once, which means you can add to your health and fitness whenever you feel like taking a break.
      Endurance
      Jogging in place is a basic way to raise your heart rate. A little more interesting, and much more effective is stair climbing.
      Stairs are everywhere. Chances are you have some at home, in shopping malls and stores, at hotels, or at work. Since you have to
      work against gravity to step up, you burn calories at least twice as fast as just walking. This means you get a greater aerobic
      benefit on stairs than most other endurance activities in the same amount of time. A 150 pound person burns about 12 calories per
      minute stepping up at one step per second (but less going down, of course), compared to 5.5 walking.
      If you can't find stairs, use a box or stool and simply step up and down, which is just as effective as stairs. About eight to 12
      inches high is comfortable for most people. If you find this a tad tedious, you can watch TV or a video. Don't forget to switch legs
      every now and then; you will end up sore on the step down side if you don't change.
      For upper body aerobic workouts try arm circles. You can do these in several ways. Hold your arms out horizontally and begin with
      small circles, building to large circles and back down to small circles. You can begin with your arms at your sides and perform
      vertical circles, too. Change direction for variety.
      More...from the Runner's Web at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news_2008/rw_news_20080729_TSH_Strength.html

      2. Training: Why Endurance Training Lacks Staying Power:
      The biggest mistake endurance athletes make in their training program is falling into the trap that their sport is about who can go
      the longest. It's not. It's STILL about who can go the fastest. They give medals for the first athlete to cross the 5K / 10K /
      marathon / ultra marathon finish line - not the athlete who crosses it and can keep on going. There's a reason it's 26 miles and 385
      yards. There's an END point. And whoever gets there the fastest will be the winner.
      Traditional endurance training programs reflect that fallacy. They are based around a lot of mileage to increase your endurance.
      As a sports scientist - let me break this down. Endurance in my field - is the ability to maintain a constant sub maximal output -
      to maintain a lower percentage of your max output. In other words - your ability to run/bike/swim slower than you are able to, for
      longer periods of time.
      So if your ability to run fast (at maximal speed) merits a hypothetical 'score' of 100 units - you may be able to run a 10K race at
      70% of this or 70 units.
      Typical endurance training involves you running at this 70% for long periods of time, hoping that somehow - when it comes to race
      day - you'll be able to run at 75%! This will never happen. If you can run a six minute mile - and you train for 12 weeks running
      3-4 miles at a time, at 6min mile pace - what do you predict you'll run on race day? That's correct - a six minute mile. You've
      trained for 12 weeks and produce the same speed you were capable of before you trained.
      More...from the Runner's Web at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news_2008/rw_news_20080722_TSH_Endurance.html

      3. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health e-Zine:
      * Saturated Fat Risks Cancelled by Exercise
      The Masai of Kenya and Tanzania eat the same type of high animal-fat diet as North Americans, but they have a very low incidence of
      heart attacks. In spite of the large amount of
      saturated fats in their diets, they have lower body weights, waist measurements, blood pressures and cholesterol levels (British
      Journal of Sports Medicine, July 2008). This is explained by the fact that the average Masai burns 4,000 kilocalories a day, which
      is roughly equal to walking 12 miles every day.
      Saturated fat is the dominant fat in meat, chicken and whole milk dairy products. It raises cholesterol only when a person takes in
      more calories than he burns. A high-meat diet
      does not cause heart attacks in people who get a lot of exercise. Saturated fats are broken down by your body into two-carbon
      units. If you are getting too many calories, your liver converts these two-carbon units into cholesterol. If you are not getting
      enough calories, your body burns these units for energy.
      When you take in more calories than your body needs, you store the excess as fat. Full fat cells release cytokines into your
      bloodstream, and they turn on your immunity. Your immunity is good because it protects you from infection, but if it stays
      overactive, it starts to destroy your body including your heart and blood vessels. The bottom line: if you eat much saturated fat,
      be sure to get plenty of exercise.
      * How Lack of Exercise Shortens Lives
      Many studies show that people die from inactivity, not just from aging. We know that as people age, they lose muscle, their
      immunities weaken and because of their weakened
      immunity, they are more likely to die of cancer and infectious diseases. As you age, you lose your ability to kill germs because of
      lack of muscle. When germs get into your body, you must make white blood cells and proteins called antibodies to kill them.
      Antibodies and cells are made from protein and the only place that you can store extra protein is in your muscles. When you have
      large muscles, you have a ready source of protein to make antibodies and cells. When you have small muscles, you have a very limited
      source of amino acids to make protein, so your immunity may be inadequate to kill germs.
      You need antibodies to control cancer cells also. Each day, every healthy body makes millions of cancer cells. Your white blood
      cells and protein antibodies are necessary to ferret
      out and kill these cancer cells. You develop cancer when these cancer cells survive and start growing. Having large muscles gives
      you the source of protein to make antibodies that kill cancer cells as well as germs. Furthermore, when your skeletal muscles are
      small, so is your heart muscle. A strong heart can withstand arteriosclerosis and infections that can kill a weak heart.
      Lack of exercise causes muscles to get smaller. With aging, it takes increasingly longer to recover from exercise. When older
      people get injured or get tired too soon or feel sore too early, they do less and less or they stop exercising altogether.
      Instead, they should be exercising more intelligently so they can retain their muscles.
      A major advantage of competing in sports at any age is that you can learn good training techniques and how to avoid injuries. If you
      can exercise into your nineties and beyond without quitting or getting injured, you can retain muscle mass, keep up your immunity
      and live longer and healthier.
      * What kind of exercise program should I do after a knee injury?
      If you break cartilage in your knee, avoid sports that cause further damage such as those requiring running and jumping. You can
      help to prevent more cartilage loss with an exercise program that strengthens the muscles that control your knee. Bones are soft. To
      keep them from wearing down at joints, their ends are covered with a thick white gristle called cartilage. Broken cartilage never
      heals. Removing broken cartilage may increase a person's chances of needing a knee replacement in the future, particularly if the
      exerciser continues to run and jump.
      Former world-class athletes are supposed to have tough, strong bodies, but they suffer high risk for permanent knee damage , while
      non-competitive exercisers are at very low risk. Repeated cortisone-type injections can weaken cartilage and cause further damage.
      Nonsteroidal pain medications do not prevent further damage. Weak thigh muscles increase chances for further knee damage, so all
      people with knee damage should strengthen the muscles that control their knees using a special knee weight machine, and start a
      supervised program of cycling or swimming, provided that it does not hurt.
      From Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine at:
      http://www.drmirkin.com

      4. 'Wrong bras' can damage breasts:
      Women who wear the wrong kind of bra could be damaging their breasts, researchers have warned.
      The breast biomechanics team at the University of Portsmouth said poor support could lead to fragile ligaments in the breast being
      stretched.
      They said that during exercise, breasts move up to 21cm (8.26inches), up and down, in and out and side to side - but most bras just
      limit vertical movement.
      And they warned crop-top sports bras did not give enough support
      The research team has tested about 50 bra designs on hundreds of women during the past three years.
      Wendy Hedger, one of the scientists who carried out the work, said: "Many women have strong preferences for certain styles of bra
      and won't buy anything else.
      "They won't even look at anything that doesn't look like the sort of bra they are used to wearing.
      "In sports bras, for example, many women won't buy a bra that resembles their everyday bra and does up at the back - they think if
      it can't be pulled over their heads like a crop top, then it's not a real sports bra.
      "But this is not true and many sports bras do up at the back in the same way as a traditional bra and do a very good job of
      supporting women."
      'Social stigma'
      She added that habit also affects the bras women choose for everyday wear, with the wrong choices potentially causing breast pain or
      discomfort.
      More...from the BBC at:
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7523295.stm

      5. Limiting Fatigue When You Run:
      One of the great mysteries of running is why elite African endurance runners have greater fatigue-resistance, compared with runners
      from the rest of the world.
      What do we mean by fatigue-resistance? It is simply the ability to sustain a high-quality pace.
      If you tell an elite African runner to run as far as possible at an intensity of 90 percent of maximal aerobic capacity (VO2max),
      he/she will often be able to race a half-marathon at that level of effort. But, if you provide the same instructions for an elite
      American or European distance runner, he/she will be able to run for only six or seven miles before slowing down. The elite African
      has greater fatigue resistance - an enhanced capacity to perform at a high intensity for a sustained period of time without
      diminishing pace.
      Traditionally, we have tried to explain differences in performance between endurance runners by invoking an “aerobic paradigm.”
      Superior performances were thought to be the result of higher aerobic capacities and therefore faster speeds.
      More...from the Educated Runner at:
      http://www.educatedrunner.com/Blog/tabid/633/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/114/Limiting-Fatigue-When-You-Run.aspx

      6. The intriguing problem of arrhythmias in competitive athletes:
      During the evaluation of competitive athletes, a history or a documentation of cardiac arrhythmias has become particularly important
      because arrhythmias may be the initial expression of an underlying cardiac disease or of primary electrical disorders, sometimes
      early manifestations of potentially life-threatening events. Cardiac arrhythmias are among the most important causes of
      non-eligibility to sports activities, and some arrhythmogenic diseases are three times more frequent among athletes than among
      sedentary subjects of the same age.
      Arrhythmias, in young competitive athletes and also the elite are usually "benign" or "paraphysiological" (duo to prolonged
      training). In some cases, arrhythmias may be "pathological" and also life-threatening, and can lead to major cardiac events as
      cardiac arrest and sudden death.
      Consequently, it is mandatory to identify in each athlete with significant arrhythmias both the risk of continuing the athletic
      career as well the best curative and preventive treatment if necessary.
      From 1974 until April 2004, we have studied and monitored a population of 2640 competitive athletes with important arrhythmias (mean
      age 21.5 years), and 345 (13%) of international elite level (mean age 24 years). During the follow up, 62 Cardiac Arrests (CA) were
      reported, of which 24 (0.9%) were Sudden Deaths (SD) while 38 (1.4%) were resuscitated from cardiac arrest (Table I). In the subset
      of elite athletes, the major events were 13 (22.4%), with six sudden deaths (1.7%) and seven (2.0%) cardiac arrests.
      More...from Medical News Today at:
      http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/30170.php

      7. High and Low - New Vision on Training:
      The immediate question from most athletes is what does this mean for my training. Nearly every athlete is looking for a "magic"
      workout, the one intensity that will cause the most improvement. From the literature on training it should be clear that several
      adaptations have to take place to maximize potential. One training intensity will not be most effective let alone "magic". In fact
      any single training intensity used exclusively is a very ineffective way to train. One specific training intensity is very popular,
      the lactate/anaerobic threshold or maximum lactate steady state. This pace may be a dangerous training effort for an athlete except
      in very specific circumstances. Why, because it puts to too much strain on the energy systems. It may actually break down the
      athlete instead of providing the improvement wanted.
      If you search the training literature or consult different coaches, you will find hundreds of different approaches. So which is
      best? If we knew the single best approach, then we would be making fortunes training world champions. I am sure if you asked the
      coaches of the medalists at the Olympics you would get a myriad of approaches. With this said, we do have a point of view and it is
      based on the theories of Jan Olbrecht discussed in his book (The Science of Winning).
      We call it High and Low. Dr. Olbrecht does not have a name for this approach but it consists of several different elements that have
      the objective of training the energy systems to a proper balance.
      More...from TriFuel at:
      http://www.trifuel.com/training/triathlon-training/high-and-low-new-vision-on-training

      8. Audio Interview with Dr. Gerry Ramogida:
      Dr. Gerry Ramogida is a certified chiropractor, acupuncturist and Active Release practitioner who has worked with numerous
      international athletics stars such as Bruny Surin, Donovan Bailey and Mark Boswell. He is also the team chiropractor for the Seattle
      Seahawks of the NFL. He currently works with Canadian Record holders Tyler Christopher and Adam Kunkel and was named to the 2008
      Canadian Olympic team for athletics as team medical staff.
      In part one of this two-part interview Dr. Ramogida discusses a number of issues surrounding therapy and its implementation into a
      training program including what to look for in a potential therapist working with your athletes, establishing a
      therapist-coach-athlete relationship, how to assess an athlete, red flags commonly found when assessing an athlete, common injury
      sites, what coaches interested in doing their own therapy should do, and a review of gait analysis. For coaches interested in taking
      their coaching to the next level this interview is for you.
      More...from the Canadian Athletics Coaching Center at:
      http://www.athleticscoaching.ca/?pid=1&spid=81

      9. HyperBaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) & Athletic Performance:
      This newer device is often referred to by its manufacturer as a Mild Hyperbaric Chamber. Instead of using pure oxygen, a medical
      compressor fills an enclosed fabric chamber with ambient air; in other words, just the air in the room. But there is an important
      difference. The air is filtered and then pumped into the chamber until the pressure inside increases 3 PSI (pounds per square inch).
      According to research by Dr. Philip Moffetone, an expert in athletic training, that increased air pressure inside the chamber allows
      our body to absorb 17% more oxygen. It's the increase of oxygen in our tissues and blood (supersaturation) that leads to the
      benefits.
      The person using the chamber lies comfortably inside. There are two clear plastic windows and in some therapy spas in L.A., the
      operators place TV's in view of the users so they can be entertained while they "chamber."
      "More oxygen equals better health," Dr. Walter Conard of Lincoln states simply. A Nebraska native, Conard has been a chiropractor
      for 17 years. He is one of two physicians in Lincoln who utilize the Mild Hyperbaric Chambers.
      "I've been studying hyperbaric therapy for a long, long time. Only now are the chambers in an affordable range that opens up the
      therapy to everyone," Conard continued. "The pressure is the whole thing. It supersaturates the body and increases oxygen uptake."
      What kind of things do people find are helped by this supersaturated oxygenation?
      "There's a different response for everyone. Certainly it's been shown that increased oxygen accelerates healing. And one thing big
      right now is the damage caused by free-radicals. That's very much in the news. Think of any disease caused by free-radicals and
      that's one that can be addressed by supersaturation with oxygen," Conard tells us.
      Mark Gustafson is the other Lincoln physician who offers HBOT to his patients.
      "It's unique. I think they do have a 100% chamber at UN Med Center there. The main reason I first got interested in it was because
      I'm in training for the New York City Marathon. This therapy has a great deal of research about its use for world-class athletes,"
      Gustafson said in a phone interview.
      Athletes are often so well in tune with their bodies that they appreciate the advantages of some of these alternative therapies more
      readily. Many use them to address pain and get back to work. Their livelihood depends on their health and so they are more likely to
      be open to using something that helps.
      "Research in 1993 found that athletes show faster recovery times, perform better, have lower resting heart rate ratings and their
      perceived exertion level is lower. Triathletes over a 14 month period showed a 3% overall improvement in performance. At first that
      doesn't look like a lot, but these are the upper echelon who are already performing at a super-high level. 3% increase can be huge
      at that level. The difference between a world record and not qualifying can be less than 1%!" said Gustafson.
      "Oxygen deficiency is a contributing factor in so many diseases. Some at greatest risk are the elderly, smokers, those who do heavy
      work, people who work indoors, people in high stress positions, people with illness or those with immune system deficiencies," said
      Gustafson. "My focus now is on the anti-aging benefits. There are a number of anti-aging centers on the Coasts and it's time we had
      one or more here. This will play a big part in that."
      Dr. Conard is in line with that thinking too. "As we age, our ability to uptake oxygen decreases. After age twenty-five, with each
      decade we lose 5 to 10 % of our ability to take in oxygen," he said.
      And what is the most remarkable response he has seen with this new treatment?
      "Treating asthma. It's amazing," Conard answered without a moment's hesitation. "It's just amazing."
      Dr. Gustafson reminds us what the new shift in healthcare is all about: "Now we can take more personal responsibility into our own
      hands for our health. We can seek out those things and practices that can aid our health and we can make choices and do things that
      improve it. This is just another of those things we can do."
      From Healing Dives at:
      http://www.healingdives.com/

      10. Ask the Experts: Exercise Well
      Dr. Paul D. Thompson: Should I run when I have a cold? How do I know if I'm too sick to exercise?
      There are no hard and fast rules for exercising during illness--there is little in the way of solid medical research--so athletes
      must use common sense. Generally, if you're sick and don't feel like working out, don't. This is simply a corollary of the rule
      "listen to your body"--it's trying to tell you something.
      You can take several days off a training schedule or routine without affecting your overall fitness level, so it's generally better
      to back off training when you're feeling under the weather. Be sure to get additional sleep and rest. But if a cold sidelines your
      training right before a big race, and you feel up to it, it's not necessary to cancel your plans.
      The only time I prohibit a patient from exercising is when he or she has the flu with muscle aches. A good rule of thumb: If
      symptoms are only above your neck (like sneezing or a runny nose), you can keep exercising. But if you feel congestion in your chest
      or if your body aches, it's best to stop working out.
      Why? Aches imply that the muscles are involved in the inflammatory process. Since the heart is a muscle, the presence of muscle
      aches raises the possibility that there is also cardiac inflammation. Some people even get rare viral infections of the heart called
      "viral myocarditis," which can cause abnormal heart enlargement and other serious problems, especially when the heart muscle is
      stressed, as it would be during a run. There is also evidence that hard exercise during a viral illness helps the virus survive,
      keeping you sicker longer.
      I'm 40 and training to run my first marathon. My family is worried because they've heard about runners my age dying from heart
      attacks. Do I need to be concerned?
      More...from Ironman.com at:
      http://tinyurl.com/62myvc

      11. Exercise Could Be The Heart's Fountain Of Youth:
      Absence may make the heart grow fonder, but endurance exercise seems to make it younger. According to a study conducted at
      Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, older people who did endurance exercise training for about a year ended up
      with metabolically much younger hearts. The researchers also showed that by one metabolic measure, women benefited more than men
      from the training.
      "We know that the heart deteriorates as people get older, and that's largely because they don't stay as active as they used to,"
      says first author Pablo F. Soto, M.D., instructor in medicine in the Cardiovascular Division. "Past research has suggested that
      exercise can reverse some effects of aging, and we wanted to see what effect it would have specifically on the heart."
      The researchers measured heart metabolism in sedentary older people both at rest and during administration of dobutamine, a drug
      that makes the heart race as if a person were exercising vigorously. At the start of the study, they found that in response to the
      increased energy demands produced by dobutamine, the hearts of the study subjects didn't increase their uptake of energy in the form
      of glucose (blood sugar).
      More...from Science Daily at:
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080723134431.htm

      12. Sweat And Hydration Issues Examined In Recently Released Journal Supplement:
      A new supplement focusing on the vital importance of sodium in maintaining voluntary drinking, plasma sodium concentration, vascular
      volume, total body water, and cardiovascular function during rest and physical activity has been made available with the July/August
      2008 issue of Current Sports Medicine Reports, the official clinical review journal of the American College of Sports Medicine
      (ACSM).
      The supplement was produced as a result of a meeting of international scientists and clinicians in conjunction with the Gatorade
      Sports Science Institute (GSSI). Experts on hydration and exercise came together to examine issues related to sodium balance in
      athletes and other individuals who may regularly experience large sweat sodium losses.
      More...from Medical News Today at:
      http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/116338.php

      13. Beat The Heat:
      Advice from runners and readers about training in hot and humid conditions.
      1. Drink Up
      "When it's hot, I drink at least two more cups of water than usual," says Robert McLane of Scottsdale, Arizona. If you're going out
      early, "hydrate throughout the day before," says Aaron Runyon of Pace, Florida. The rule of thumb is to aim for 16 to 32 ounces of
      fluid per hour of exercise, or three to six ounces every 15 to 20 minutes. "Make sure you hydrate with fluids containing
      electrolytes since you will be sweating a lot of salt out," says John Eng of New York City. Look for a drink that contains 25 to 50
      grams of carbs, 230 to 345 milligrams of sodium, and 40 to 100 milligrams of potassium.
      2. Run Very Early (or Very Late)
      "We meet up anytime between 3 and 5 a.m. so we can be done around the time the sun rises," says Elizabeth Hensley of the running
      club The Bee Team in Tucson, where the normal high in July is 100° F. If you can't go early, go as late in the day as possible.
      Although the sun is highest in the sky at noon, the earth's surface heat peaks between 3 and 5 p.m. "I run at mid-night," says Nick
      Davis of Midlothian, Virginia. "I wear just shorts and shoes."
      3. Plan Ahead
      Run in a park with water fountains or on a route with convenience stores. "I map my run to make sure I can refill my bottles," says
      Dominique Perrier of New Orleans. Or stash a cache. "My weekday runs are usually a series of loops in the neighborhood, so I can
      double past my house, where I leave water or a sports drink by my mailbox," says Warren Biddle of Brandon, Mississippi. "I sometimes
      ride my bike or drive the route and leave some water along the way," says Sloan McLaughlin, who lives in Egypt. Jesse Mack of Boston
      keeps a cooler at the end of his street with water, Gatorade, and a hat. "I grab a drink, and switch off hats, so I get a cooldown
      every loop."
      More...from Runner's World at:
      http://tinyurl.com/5rw33k

      14. Low-Gravity Training Machine Reduces Joint, Muscle Impacts on Runners by Half, Says University of Colorado Study:
      BOULDER, Colo., July 30 (AScribe Newswire) -- A University of Colorado at Boulder study of a space-age, low-gravity training machine
      used by several 2008 Olympic runners showed it reduced impacts on muscles and joints by nearly half when subjects ran at the
      equivalent of 50 percent of their body weight.
      The new study has implications for both competitive runners rehabilitating from injuries and for ordinary people returning from knee
      and hip surgeries, according to Associate Professor Rodger Kram of CU-Boulder's integrative physiology department.
      Known as the "G-Trainer," the machine consists of a treadmill surrounded by an inflatable plastic chamber that encases the lower
      body of the runner, said Kram. Air pumped into the chamber increases the pressure and effectively reduces the weight of runners, who
      are sealed in the machine at the waist in a donut-shaped device with a special zipper and "literally lifted up by their padded
      neoprene shorts," he said.
      Published in the August issue of the Journal of Applied Biomechanics, the study is the first to quantify the effects of running in
      the G-Trainer, built by Alter-G Inc. of Menlo Park, Calif., using technology developed at NASA's Ames Research Center in California.
      The paper was authored by Kram and former CU-Boulder doctoral student Alena Grabowski, now a postdoctoral researcher at the
      Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
      Although G-Trainers have been used in some sports clinics and college and professional sports training rooms since 2006, the new
      study is the first scientific analysis of the device as a training tool for running, said Grabowski.
      "The idea was to measure which levels of weight support and speeds give us the best combination of aerobic workout while reducing
      the impact on joints," said Kram. "We showed that a person can run faster in the G-Trainer at a lower weight and still get
      substantial aerobic benefits while maintaining good neuromuscular coordination."
      More... From AScribe at:
      http://newswire.ascribe.org/cgi-bin/behold.pl?ascribeid=20080730.091123&time=09%2046%20PDT&year=2008&public=0

      15. This Week in Running:
      10 Years Ago- Khalid Khannouchi (USA) won the La Corsa Piu' Antica in Castelbuono ITA, clocking a
      33:16.8 for a difficult 11K to win over Elijah Korir (KEN) at 33:27.2 and Antonio
      Pinto (POR) ar 33:30.1. Agata Balsamo won the women's 5.6K in 18:56.7 as Italians
      went 1-3. Simona Viola was 2nd in 19:06.3 and Paola Persi was 3rd in 19:07.7.
      The women's race was discontinued after the 2004 race.
      20 Years Ago- Mark Curp (USA) won the Quad City Times Bix (IA/USA) 7M by a wide margin over Bill
      Reifsnyder (USA), 33:22 to 34:04. Joseph Nzau (KEN) was 3rd in 34:21. Joan
      Samuelson (USA) won her 4th title with a 37:59 victory over Brenda Webb (USA) who
      came in at 38:45. Cyndie Brown (USA) was 3rd in 38:49 and Priscilla Welch (ENG)
      was 4th at 40:09 at age 44. Samuelson was 18th this year in 42:36.
      30 Years Ago- John Lodwick (USA) won the 4th edition of the Quad City Times Bix (IA/USA) 7M by
      a comfortable margin over Greg Newell (USA), 34:56 to 35:36. Kathy Loper (USA) won
      the women's race in 45:38.
      40 Years Ago- Timothy Johnson (ENG) won the AAA Marathon title in 2:15:26 over Bill Adcocks (ENG)
      who ran 2:15:41. James Alder (SCO) was 3rd in 2:16:37 and Ron Hill (ENG) was 4th
      in 2:17:11. The race was held in Cwmbran WAL with Lynn Hughes claiming the WAL title
      with a 2:31:51.
      50 Years Ago- Vincent Frazer-Walker (IRL) won the Irish AAU Marathon Championships race held in
      Dublin IRL with a 2:32:42. The next day, Noel McGowan (IRL) won the All Ireland NACA
      Marathon Championships, also held in Dublin, with a 2:29:23. For a brief history of
      the various Irish championships and "governing" bodies, refer to the ARRS web pages
      for the IRL marathon and 5000m championships.
      60 Years Ago- Emil Zatopek (CZE) won a the 10,000m Olympic title over Alain Mimoun (FRA), 29:59.6
      to 30:47.4. Bertil Albertsson (SWE) collected the bronze medal with a 30:53.6.
      Zatopek also collected a silver medal in the 5000m just three days later
      From The Analytical Distance Runner, the newsletter for the Association of Road Racing Statisticians with a
      focus on races, 3000m and longer, including road, track, and cross-country events.

      16. New research highlights supplements risk:
      The importance of athletes thinking carefully about which supplements they use has been highlighted by research conducted by HFL
      Sport Science and Lucozade Sport which found that 10.5% of 152 supplements it tested contained prohibited substances not listed on
      the label.
      Responding to the research, Andy Parkinson, Acting Director of Drug-Free Sport at UK Sport said:
      “We know great strides have been made by many manufacturers in ensuring the supplements they produce are not contaminated. However,
      the research highlights the fact this isn’t the case across the board and emphasises how important it is for athletes to consider
      their options with regards to the use of supplements.
      “Our message to athletes is clear – ignorance is not an excuse when it comes to supplements and ‘strict liability’ still applies. If
      you test positive as a result of using a contaminated supplement you will face a sanction under the World Anti-Doping Code and could
      be looking at up to a two-year ban. We therefore encourage all athletes to minimise the risk by taking the time to make sensible,
      informed decisions about supplements.”
      UK Sport recently issued a new Position Statement for athletes which references the Informed Sport programme – a new initiative by
      HFL which is designed to evaluate supplement manufacturers for their process integrity and to screen supplements and ingredients for
      the presence of substances that appear on the World Anti-Doping Agency’s List of Prohibited Substances and Methods. At the time,
      Parkinson said:
      More...from UK Sport at:
      http://www.uksport.gov.uk/news/new_research_highlights_supplements_risk/

      17. Fueling the Runner: Foods for the Freedom Run:
      What to take when you're getting away.
      What a perfect morning. You reach across the bed to turn off the alarm as the sun just begins to peak above the horizon. Grab your
      morning brew, banana, and bagel. Lace up those trail shoes because today you are planning a long one. Several hours of leisure
      trail running in the company of good friends or a simple retreat with the great outdoors can be invigorating.
      The best way to describe this type of run is “getting lost” for a few hours. It is more of an adventure, a wonderful opportunity to
      climb a mountain or find a new creek to hurdle. The only real reason to wear a watch is to have a general sense of time. I often
      call this type of run Freedom Running. Go wherever you want and enjoy the twists and turns nature has paved.
      This type of run may seem to require little preparation. No real thought needs to be put into time or pace. But in fact it does
      require some thought. A long trail run is much more enjoyable with fuel in the tank. Depleted glycogen stores an hour and a half
      away from home can make for a brutal return trip.
      Appropriate attire is always must. You will have a lot to store depending on how long you decide to run. Who wants to feel
      confined by a water bottle in one hand and gels in the other. It takes away from the notion that this is freedom running. Purchase
      apparel you designate as your “long haul” gear. Whether it’s in the form of a fanny pack, camelback, or water belt, be sure to find
      the right fit for you. After all it would be unfortunate if you got sore from the way your fully stocked apparel rubbed instead of
      from the actual run itself.
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=13881

      18. Scientists eye couch potato exercise, weight-loss pill:
      Scientists have discovered what could be the ultimate workout for couch potatoes: exercise in a pill.
      In experiments on mice that did no exercise, the chemical compound, known as AICAR, allowed them to run 44 percent farther on a
      treadmill than those that did not receive the drug.
      The drug, according to the researchers, changed the physical composition of muscle, essentially transforming the tissue from
      sugar-burning fast-twitch fibers to fat-burning slow-twitch ones -- the same change that occurs in distance runners and cyclists
      through training.
      The researchers said the drug's fat-burning ability could also help reduce weight, ward off diabetes and prevent heart disease --
      the benefits of daily aerobic activity without the perspiration.
      "It's an amazing piece of pharmacology," said David Mangelsdorf, a pharmacologist at University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
      in Dallas, who was not connected with the research. "You're getting the benefits of exercise without having to do any work." It is
      not known if the drug has any benefit for athletes who actually work out -- or any human for that matter, since the research has so
      far only involved mice.
      "The mouse doctors and cell biologists are of course quite enthusiastic about these things, but the human doctors are a little more
      reticent," said Dr. Benjamin Levine, a cardiologist who leads the Institute for Exercise and Environmental Medicine at Presbyterian
      Hospital of Dallas, and who was not involved in the study.
      More...from Newsday at:
      http://www.newsday.com/news/health/ny-hspill0801,0,6745482.story

      19. A little stretching may not dampen muscle strength:
      While some research has raised the question of whether pre-workout stretching hinders muscle performance, a new study suggests that
      a few minutes of stretching may not sap the average exerciser's muscle strength.
      Stretching is part of many active people's pre-exercise routine. But some recent studies have been pointing to potentially negative
      effects on athletic performance.
      In some studies, though not all, stretching right before a workout has been found to decrease both sprint speed and jump height.
      There's also evidence that stretching temporarily reduces muscle strength.
      However, one question has been whether such effects would be seen after the short bouts of stretching that a typical exerciser or
      weekend athlete might perform.
      The new study, published in the journal Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, looked at just such a "practical" stretching
      regimen.
      Researchers measured calf-muscle strength in 13 moderately active men and women under four different conditions: after no
      stretching, and before and after 2, 4 or 8 minutes of calf-muscle stretching.
      More...from Scientific American at:
      http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=a-little-stretching-may-n

      20. Digest Briefs:
      * The skeptical medic
      Q How soon after giving birth should women return to strenuous exercise? Is Paula Radcliffe a good example or an unattainable goal?
      A: There are probably only a handful of athletes that have achieved significant athletic success following pregnancy but, as Paula
      Radcliffe will no doubt testify, training has to be adapted for at least three months to avoid the risks encountered after delivery.

      Most problems centre around the potential for bone and joint injuries and inconveniences such as incontinence. Bone density also
      drops by about 5 per cent during pregnancy and breast feeding, increasing the risk of stress fractures.
      In order to minimise these effects, you should maintain exercise during pregnancy at around 70 per cent maximum. In the last few
      months swimming can replace running. This training helps protect against bone loss, maintains your muscle mass and may reduce your
      chance of a Caesarean and diabetes.
      After an uncomplicated delivery, you can start walking, swimming and undertaking pelvic floor exercises almost immediately. It may
      be worth taking iron tablets in the first months to help alleviate anaemia. Gently increase exercise intensity through cross
      training such as running in water, cycling and/or a stepper. After two weeks, introduce a few short runs per week. If you are breast
      feeding, be mindful that milk production may decline as training intensity increases. For guidelines visit rcog.org uk.
      · Dr Nicholas Peirce is the ECB's chief medical officer and a lead physician for the English Institute of Sport. To ask a question,
      email mailto:osm@...

      THIS WEEK'S FEATURED EVENTS:
      *Please verify event dates with the event websites*

      August 1-2, 2008, 2008:
      Wild West Relay - Fort Collins, CO

      August 2, 2008, 2008:
      National Capital Triathlon - Ottawa, ON
      National Capital 5/10K - Ottawa, ON

      TD Banknorth Beach to Beacon 10K - Cape Elizabeth, ME

      August 3, 2008, 2008:
      FootZone 5K - Redmond, WA

      K-Town Triathlon - Kingston, ON

      Quake & Shake Half Marathon / 10K - Mammoth Lakes, CA

      San Francisco Marathon - San Francisco, CA

      August 3-4, 2008, 2008:
      Owen Sound Triathlon Weekend - ON

      August 15-24, 2008
      Olympic Games - Beijing, China

      mailto:webmaster@... to notify us of the problem. To update your Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the
      web.

      www.RunnersWeb.com
      mailto:kparker@...
      613-746-4053
      http://www.OACRacingTeam.com
      http://www.EmiliesRun.com

      RUNNER'S WEB AFFILIATE PROGRAMS:
      All revenue from advertisers and affiliate programs goes into the support of running and triathlon through sponsorship of events,
      teams, clinics and fund raising programs for Canada's Olympic athletes.

      XM Satellite Radio
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000021517490

      Puma
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000005110141&pubid=21000000000028567

      Champion
      http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=h1QosBYBFXw&offerid=113858.10000144&type=1&subid=0

      Nike
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000015009821

      Free Ground Shipping on Orders of $175 or More at Patagonia.com
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000012303508&pubid=21000000000028567

      Peak Performance Online:

      Carmichael Training Systems at:
      http://www.trainright.com/promos.asp?code=DSBYBFCSP

      Reebok
      http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/stat?id=h1QosBYBFXw&offerid=117802&type=3&subid=0

      Your very own personal trainer at a fraction of the cost
      http://www.cartville.com/app/?af=473063

      Check out TotalWellness's mp3 Personal Training Program - only 5% the Cost of Regular Personal Training!
      http://www.totalwellnessconsulting.ca/fitter_u_totalwellness.htm

      Geezer Jock Magazine, The Masters Sports & Fitness Magazine
      http://www.geezerjock.com/index.cfm?affID=runnersweb

      Athletes, Coaches, Trainers and Physio's
      ..new software designs unlimited stretching routines with ease!
      Design unlimited stretching routines today, starting from scratch, in under 60 seconds!
      http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/cmd.php?af=245575&u=http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/products/instantstretch.htm

      Mental Strength Training Center:
      http://www.memberstar.com/redir_a.php?LFAId=1027

      National Bike Registry
      http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/stat?id=vVGS2V*0iZg&offerid=21387&type=3&subid=0

      Buy Paula Radcliffe's book, My Story - So Far, from Amazon UK at:
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/074325242X/runnersweb-21

      Endurance Films
      Triathlon Training DVDs
      https://endurancefilms.hivelocity.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=EF&Affiliate=runnersweb

      Instant Stretching Routines
      Design unlimited stretching routines today, starting from scratch, in under 60 seconds!
      http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/cmd.php?af=245575&u=http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/newsletter.php

      ShoeWallet.com has set out on a mission to enable people to easily carry ID and medical information at all times. Basically, anyone
      who is out on the roads or trails needs a convenient place to carry this vital information.
      http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?joggerscompanion+pXgxpm+index.html+

      SportsShoes in the UK
      http://www.sportsshoes.com/index.php?id=149

      Visit on AssociatesShop.com Online Bookstore for running and triathlon books:
      http://associatesshop.filzhut.de/shop/index.php?ID=90c9f271c1a519abc4a69299be7075a9

      TrainingPeaks.com by Wes Hobson.
      Find the training program that fits you at:
      http://www.trainingpeaks.com/rw

      TriSwim Coach - The Complete Guide to Triathlon Swimming
      http://hop.clickbank.net/?rhianyth/triswim1

      If you have an accident while running or cycling, do you want your family to be contacted? Do you want to receive immediate and
      proper medical treatment?
      If so, make this cool item part of your gear -- for safety and peace of mind. Road ID has created 4 awesome ways for athletes to
      wear ID: the SHOE, the WRIST, the ANKLE, and the NECK. Get your RoadID at:
      http://www.roadid.com/?referrer=50

      The Stretching Handbook:
      http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/cmd.php?af=245575&u=http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/newsletter.php
      The Stretching Video in a DVD version. With the DVD version you're able to use the convenient menu facility to:
      * Go directly to a specific stretc<br/><br/>(Message over 64 KB, truncated)