Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest - July 4, 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2008
      A FREE WEEKLY E-ZINE OF MULTISPORT RELATED ARTICLES. The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is a weekly e-zine dealing with the
      sports of running and triathlon and general fitness and health issues. The opinions expressed in the articles referenced by the
      Digest are the opinions of the writers and not necessarily those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at
      http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out our daily news, features, polls, trivia, bulletin
      boards and more. General questions should be posted to one of our forums available from our FrontPage.

      1. Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women - Canada's Fastest Women's 5K
      Emilie's Run is over for another year. Almost 300 women completed the race with 38 women running under 20:00
      For more on the race visit the website at:
      http://www.emiliesrun.com.
      Join Emilie's Run Community and contribute at:
      http://groups-beta.google.com/group/emiliesrun?hl=en

      3. Road Runner Sports, the world's largest running store at:
      New Arrivals from Nike With Web Exclusive Apparel and More!

      4. Toronto Waterfront Marathon, September 28, 2008
      http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/

      5. Goodlife Fitness Toronto Marathon - October 19, 2008
      http://www.torontomarathon.com/

      6. Training Peaks Training Peaks, LLC is dedicated to the endurance athlete and coach. With our industry leading software products,
      we're committed to help you monitor, analyze and plan your training. We encourage you to draw on our passion for excellence to help
      you reach your athletic dreams. Trusted by thousands. Dedicated to you.
      http://www.trainingpeaks.com/

      7. Running Free Running Free is a complete online running store with everything for the casual to serious runner. They also have
      retail stores in the GTA (Toronto) and Markham. Check them out at:
      http://www.runningfree.com

      8. January 4, 2008: Goodlife Fitness has come on board as a sponsor of Emilie's Run GoodLife Fitness - Coed or Women's Only Visit
      www.GoodLifeFitness.com today to receive 3 FREE Visits! Your 3 FREE visits include: . A Visual Fitness Planner Consultation . Fit
      Fix Orientation to learn how to exercise safely and effectively . Access to all cardio and strength-training equipment . Access to
      all of our world-class Group EXercise classes . A copy of Living the Good Life audio CD Get started today! Visit
      www.GoodLifeFitness.com Limited time offer.

      9. Watch over 50 IAAF Events Live and On-Demand. World Championship Sports Network ABOUT WCSN World Championship Sports Network
      (WCSN) is the premier destination for fans of Olympic and lifestyle sports, delivering an immersive experience via exclusive live
      and on demand coverage of world class competitions, interaction with top athletes and in depth access to sports news and information
      year round. WCSN offers comprehensive coverage of over 60 sports disciplines, through exclusive long term programming agreements
      across a number of key International Federations and National Governing Bodies. Major championship events in sports ranging from
      Athletics (Track & Field), Skiing, Swimming, Gymnastics and Cycling to Volleyball, Karate and Taekwondo are featured online at
      http://tinyurl.com/ysnvnh and on television via WCSN's weekly syndicated television program, World Championship Sports, available in
      more than 45 million US households. WCSN also markets Olympic sports in partnership with International Federations, National
      Governing Bodies, local organizations, clubs, sponsors, and through related websites and publications. WCSN is dedicated to
      providing year round, in depth coverage of these important and exciting sports to reach millions of fans around the world for whom
      they represent a way of life. WCSN is committed to expanding the audience by delivering programming that exemplifies the best of the
      human spirit. WCSN enables fans to interact with world class champions as well as get to know the up and coming athletes through
      blogs, interviews and their broadcast commentary. Consistent with the world class caliber of the sports it celebrates, WCSN delivers
      high quality production values, leveraging state-of-the-art-technology and next generation distribution platforms to provide an
      immersive, interactive experience available anytime, anywhere.
      Visit WCSN at: http://tinyurl.com/ysnvnh

      11. On August 5, 2008, uber ultra-runner Karl Meltzer will set off on the biggest race of his life. His challenge: to run the entire
      length of the 2,174-mile in less than 47 days.
      Definitely daunting. Absolutely grueling. Probably insane. But when he does it, he'll rule the AT as the guy who conquered it, all
      of it, the fastest on two feet.
      This is going to be Man vs. Nature, Man vs. Self, Man vs. Clock - and it's going to be good. So, check back. As Karl's start date
      draws near, this site will transform into mission control. With an interactive map featuring real-time GPS tracking of his progress,
      a blog, forums, videos, pictures and podcasts, whereskarl.com will be the place to keep track of the Speed Goat as he ticks off the
      miles on his way from Maine to Georgia. In the meantime, sign up for email updates* on Karl's training and racing leading up to his
      AT attack, feature additions to this site, and occasional discounts from Backcountry.com and other sponsors
      Check it out at:
      http://whereskarl.com/?utm_source=runnersweb&utm_medium=banner&utm_content=ad1&utm_campaign=whereskarl

      12. Mi-Sport - The Ultimate Sports MP3 Player Introducing the world's first and only waterproof and wireless sports mp3 player.
      These Mi-SPORT mp3 headphones have a 1GB memory built into a cool neckband design. At last no wire tangle and no earbuds to fall
      out. The patented design makes this waterproof/sweatproof mp3 player great for running, cycling and gym work. The player however is
      more than splash proof! It can be completely submerged with no harm to it making it perfect for swimming, kayaking, and water
      skiing. Now incorporating the latest 3D music quality with it's adapted waterproof speaker. Relax to music in the bath, or push out
      that training session with no fear of losing your player or tangling the wires. Circuit training is so much easier with your own
      music. Enjoy the waves wire-free. This is the only waterproof pair of classic headphones with a built in mp3 player in the world.
      The stylish looking headphones play the usual MP3, WMA and WAV formats and are compatible with Windows98/98SE/2000/XP and Apple MAC.
      Depending on track length, the headphones hold well over 14 hours worth of music and the rechargeable battery life is about 8 hours.
      Nick Matthew, the 2006 British Open squash champion now uses the player to train with and Mi-SPORT are endeavouring to encourage
      more athletes to enjoy the benefits of training to wire-free music, podcasts or coaching aids. Inspiration and freedom at last, for
      athletes and exercise enthusiasts everywhere.
      Check it out at: http://www.mi-sportmp3.com/

      13. Labour Day Oakville Half-Marathon and 10/2K - Oakville, ON
      http://www.oakvillehalfmarathon.com/

      ASSOCIATIONS: The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional Organization for the Running Industry.
      http://www.runningusa.org/

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS: Check the "New Subscribers' note at the bottom of the newsletter

      Add the Runner's Web News feed to your site through a simple JavaScript. Check out OnTri.com's implementation at:
      http://www.ontri.com/runnersweb.html
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is now available

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet Explorer from the link on our FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com . We have added a button for Lauren Groves, Triathlete.

      If anyone is looking for a web mail provider, you might wish to consider Google's GMail. You can now sign up for free Gmail at
      Google WITHOUT AN INVITATION at: www.gmail.com

      We have partnered with Breaksweat TV to provide us with video content.
      Simply Sports Media is part of a large group called Simply Media, which operates more than 25 digital TV channels, including 6 on
      satellite and cable. Simply Media has developed and continues to expand on premium content for TV, web, mobile, captive Audience
      Networks, and IPTV.
      Breaksweat.tv was recently launched to provide instant access to premium video content covering outdoor sports. The innovative
      online channel uses a system called, Brightcove to continually and seamlessly deliver content to its users, whilst providing
      easy-to-use navigation.
      Breaksweat TV is not a user generated website, or a broadcasting channel; rather it is a platform used to host Breaksweat.tv's
      independently produced video content, and content it obtains from key relationships in the outdoor sports industry. By applying this
      strategy to supply content for its viewers, SnowZone.tv is able to showcase video content that is unique, high-quality, and
      continuous filled with updated material.
      For more information and to visit other existing channels in the Simply Media network, please visit:
      http://www.simply.tv/

      Get FREE SHIPPING on everything at NikeStore.com when you enter 4JULY4 at checkout
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000024851903&pubid=21000000000028567

      New Balance Men's 708 Running Shoe for $29.97 - 40% off

      Save 20% on All Orders at Puma.com - code JUNE20 - ends 7/4

      Watch live and webcast of Track and Field and Road races on WCSN.
      Sign up at:
      http://www.wcsn.com/sport/index.jsp?id=34003&affiliateID=hptRunWebLNAV1A021208&partnerId=hptRunWebLNAV1A021208

      I've created a Runner's Web Group on Facebook. To join the Runner's Web Facebook group, if you are not a member of Facebook, you

      mailto:webmaster@... or leave your comments in one of our Forums at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/forum.html or from our FrontPage.

      We have 2,379 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe at:

      * BREAKSWEAT.TV
[...]

      * ACTIVE.COM RunnersWeb.com has teamed up with Active Trainer coaches to offer training programs that are a balance of aerobic,
      anaerobic and cross-training workouts. These training programs are built to get people of all levels across the finish line. From
      the first timer to the seasoned veteran you will find the right training plan for you. Good luck with your training and we will see
      you at the finish line. Training Log and Analysis: Log your daily workouts and monitor your progress along the way. Getting Started:
      Set a realistic goal for training. Review the list of training programs developed by Active Trainer Coaches. Select the program that
      best matches your current training schedule. If you have been inactive, select a conservative schedule to assure success and
      decrease the risk of injury. Plug in the start date or the date of your target race and go! The schedule will automatically be
      entered into your log. It is as simple as that... Training: Select the daily email to receive your training by the day or log on to
      your account and review the entire schedule. Use the interactive log to enter in valuable training information. The more information
      you enter in your personal log, the better. You will be able to use this information in the future to evaluate performance, keep
      track of what works and what doesn't and stay motivated to see just how far you've come.
      Sign up at:
      www.RunnersWebCoach.com OR http://training.active.com/ActiveTrainer/listing.do?listing=51

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey. Sheila is one of Ottawa's top multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C
      Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public Health and works in the field of nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the
      University of California, San Diego. Her column index is available at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/SK_index.html

      * Carmichael Training Systems Carmichael Training Systems was founded in 1999 by Chris Carmichael. From the beginning, the mission
      of the company has been to improve the lives of individuals we work with through the application of proper and effective fitness and
      competitive training techniques. Whether your focus is recreational, advanced, or you are a professional racer, the coaching
      methodology employed by CTS will make you a better athlete. Check the latest monthly column from CTS at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/cts_columns.html.
      Carmichael Training Systems at:
      http://www.trainright.com/promos.asp?code=DSBYBFCSP

      * Peak Running Performance Peak Running Is The Nation's Most Advanced Running Newsletter. Rated as the #1 Running Publication by
      Road Runner Sports (Worlds Largest Running Store) , Peak Running caters to the serious / dedicated runner. Delivering world class
      running advice are some of running's most recognizable athletes including Dr. Joe Vigil (US Olympic Coach), Scott Tinley (2 Time
      Ironman Champ) Steve Scott (3 Time Olympian) and many more. This bi-monthly newsletter has been around for over 13 years, and in the
      past two it has been awarded the "Golden Shoe Award" in recognition of it's outstanding achievements.

      * Running Research News: RRN's free, weekly, training update provides subscribers with the most-current, practical, scientifically
      based information about training, sports nutrition, injury prevention, and injury rehabilitation. The purpose of this weekly e-zine
      is to improve subscribers' training quality and to help them train in an injury-free manner. Running Research News also publishes a
      complete, 12-page, electronic newsletter 10 times a year (one-year subscriptions are $35); to learn more about Running Research
      News, please see the Online Article Index and "About Running Research News" sections below or go to RRNews.com. Check out the
      article index at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RRN_index.html

      community. We have NO personal postings this week.

      THIS WEEK'S DIGEST ARTICLE INDEX:

      1. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health e-Zine
      2. VO2max Newsletter By Jason Karp
      3. Sportsmedicine: Heat Injuries
      Tips for Training and Playing in the Heat.
      4. Fitter. Healthier. More orgasmic
      5. Recuperative therapy: no pain, no gain
      Canada's athletes use new techniques to get back in the game.
      6. Back of the Pack - Fit to be downtown
      7. RT's Top 12 running orientated commercials
      8. Tips for a long, healthy life
      9. Core strengthening to keep your spine in good shape
      The sporting spine - what all athletes should know about core strengthening.
      10. Formulating Your Optimal Race Warm Up
      11. 10k training: What does science have to say about the right training programme for the 10K?
      12. 6 Ways to Improve Your Race Day Results
      13. Stepping Up to Ironman - Without Overstepping
      14. This Week in Running
      15. To Beat the Heat, Learn to Sweat It Out
      16. The Validity Of EPO Testing For Athletes
      17. Many Sunscreens Don't Work Or Are Hazardous To Health Says Group
      18. Doctors call for heart checks on athletes
      19. Aiming to Sell the World on Fitness

      "Should an Olympic athlete be banned for life after their first doping offense?"

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage ( http://www.runnersweb.com) as well as checking the results of previous polls.

      LAST WEEK'S POLL RESULTS:
      "Which of the following services do you use on a regular basis?
      Answers Percent
      1. A.R.T. Therapist 16%
      2. Chiropractor 10%
      3. Massage 20%
      4. Physio 16%
      5. Podiatrist 10%
      6. Sports doctor 15%
      7. Sports psychologist 12%
      8. Other (email:polls2008@...) 0%

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE MONTH: The Runner's Tribe, Side By Side, Stride By Stride.
      The Runner's Tribe believes, quite simply, that running is the most pure form of physical endeavor known to humans. Being the first
      and foremost true world sport, the basic process of running occurs daily the world over wherever there are people.
      At its most basic level running needs no fancy or expensive equipment, no man-made constructions, or sterile playing arenas. Runners
      are free to enjoy the solitude of nature either by themselves, or with a group of friends around them.
      The Runner's Tribe believes that running is vital for the health of society as a whole. In today's modern world, kids growing up
      turn to video games instead of playing outdoors, movies instead of weekend sport, or junk food instead of a play at the park.
      Furthermore, the percentage of overweight people continues to climb, as do rates of depression. We believe that running acts as a
      natural form of medicine, increasing self-confidence and improving both mental and physical health.
      The Runner's Tribe also believes in the value of taking running to the elite level and acknowledges the amazing athletes who
      dedicate much of their lives to the pursuit of superior fitness. Running is one of our truly world sports, thus making success at
      the elite level rare indeed. We believe that the level of dedication required to be an Olympic runner exceeds the commitment
      required for most other sports.
      The world's best runners hail from all corners of the globe, from Nigeria to London, New Zealand to Zurich. It isn't a sport
      dominated by one nationality, nor is it structured in a way that only wealthy people can gain access to it. We believe that these
      amazing athletes do not receive the recognition that they deserve. We hope to improve the profile of athletics at an elite level and
      help aspiring elite athletes realise their dreams.
      Check out the site at:
      http://www.runnerstribe.com/mission.html

      BOOK/VIDEO OF THE MONTH: Out of Nowhere: The Inside Story of How Nike Marketed the Culture of Running
      By Geoff Hollister
      Synopsis
      How does a boy from a small Oregon farm town get swept up in the politics of his chosen sport? Out of Nowhere takes the reader along
      on Geoff Hollister's 33 year journey at the center of Nike, the company that would change not only the world of athletic shoes and
      apparel but the business of sport itself.
      Nike began with a handshake and a few hundred dollars passed between Phil Knight and legendary track coach Bill Bowerman. Hollister
      was coached by him at the University of Oregon and was Bowerman's pick as Nike's third employee. Before he had even graduated
      Hollister began selling shoes out of the trunk of his car for Blue Ribbon Sports, the company that became Nike.
      Out of Nowhere provides an inside look for the entrepreneur, from someone who experienced the humble beginnings, lived and breathed
      the first 33 years of Nike, now the largest sports and fitness company in the world. Hollister takes you on the rollercoaster ride
      of success and failure.
      Buy the book from Amazon at:
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/184126234X/runnersweb/102-0182896-9006569?v=glance&s=books

      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html and http://www.runnersweb.com/running/amazon.html

      THIS WEEK'S FEATURES:

      1. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health e-Zine:
      * Caffeine Boosts Hot Weather Performance
      A study from Toledo, Spain shows that giving caffeine to dehydrated bicycle racers helps them ride faster, longer and with more
      power in hot weather (Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, July 2008). When combined with water and carbohydrates, caffeine
      ingestion increases the force of muscular contractions which helps them to pedal with more power. Almost all professional bicycle
      riders take caffeine is some form because they know it helps them to ride faster.
      Another recent study from the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign shows that caffeine helps to reduce muscle pain in riders
      pedaling as hard and as long as they can
      (International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, May 2008). Other studies have shown that caffeine is a diuretic
      only when a person is at rest, not during exercise.
      These reported benefits of caffeine for cyclists can be expected to apply to other sports as well. However, people with heart
      damage should be cautious about taking caffeine before
      exercising. It is a stimulant and may increase risk of irregular heart beats.
      * Stretching
      A review in the Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine shows that there is no good evidence that stretching prevents sports injuries.
      Muscles and tendons tear when the force applied to them is greater than their inherent strength, so anything that makes a muscle
      stronger helps to prevent injuries. Strengthening muscles helps prevent muscle and tendon tears, but stretching does not make
      muscles stronger. This review showed that stretching does not prevent shin splints, bone stress fractures, sprains, strains or other
      arm and leg injuries.
      However, stretching can make you a better athlete. Competitive athletes need to stretch to makes muscles and tendons longer and more
      flexible. A longer muscle can exert a greater torque on a joint to help you run faster, lift heavier, throw further and jump higher.
      Stretching should always be done after your muscles are warmed up. You are likely to injure yourself if you stretch before you have
      warmed up or when your muscles are tired. Warming up raises muscle temperature to make them more pliable. Stretch no further than
      you can hold for a few seconds. Bouncing gives you a longer stretch, but can tear muscles. Only competitive athletes need to stretch
      further than they can hold for a few seconds. If you're over 50, be extra careful because older muscles are less springy and more
      likely to tear.
      Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine, March 2005 - Checked 6/9/08
      From Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine at:
      http://www.drmirkin.com

      2. VO2max Newsletter By Jason Karp:
      * Enzymes
      Enzymes function as biological catalysts that speed up chemical reactions. In the absence of enzymes, chemical reactions would not
      occur quickly enough to generate the energy needed to run. The amount of an enzyme also controls which metabolic pathway is used.
      For example, having more aerobic enzymes will steer metabolism toward a greater reliance on aerobic metabolism at a given submaximal
      speed. Enzymes are also activated or inhibited (i.e., their effectiveness in speeding up chemical reactions can be either increased
      or decreased), determining which metabolic pathways are functional during certain cellular conditions. Thus, enzymes essentially
      control metabolism and therefore
      control the speed at which you fatigue.
      A number of studies have documented an increase in enzyme activity in response to aerobic training. One of the first among these
      was published in 1967 in Journal of Biological
      Chemistry, in which aerobically trained rats increased mitochondrial enzyme activity, increasing the mitochondria's capacity to
      consume oxygen. More recently, a study published
      in Journal of Applied Physiology in 2006 found that citrate synthase (a key enzyme of the Krebs cycle) activity significantly
      increased by 37 percent in novice runners after 13 weeks of
      training during which weekly mileage increased from 15 to 36.
      Similarly, sprint training induces changes in the anaerobic enzyme profile of muscles and also increases aerobic enzyme activity,
      particularly when long sprints or short recovery between short sprints are used. For example, a study published in Journal of
      Applied Physiology in 1998 found that sprint cycle training three times per week for seven weeks using 30-second maximum-effort
      intervals significantly increased both anaerobic and aerobic enzyme activity. Research on changes in enzyme activity with sprint
      running is currently lacking.
      Metabolism is also regulated by its patriarch--oxygen. The availability of oxygen determines which metabolic pathway predominates.
      For example, at the end of the metabolic pathway that breaks down carbohydrates (glycolysis), there is a fork in the road. When
      there is adequate oxygen to meet the muscle's needs, the final product of glycolysis--pyruvate--is converted into an important
      metabolic intermediate that enters the Krebs cycle for oxidation. This irreversible conversion of pyruvate inside your muscles'
      mitochondria is a decisive reaction in metabolism since it commits the carbohydrates broken down through glycolysis to be oxidized
      by the Krebs cycle. However, when there is not adequate oxygen to meet the muscle's needs, pyruvate is converted into lactate. An
      associated consequence of this latter fate is the accumulation of metabolites and the development of acidosis, causing your muscles
      to fatigue and you to slow down.
      The more aerobically developed you are, by focusing on increasing your mileage and lactate threshold runs, the more you'll steer
      pyruvate toward the Krebs cycle and away from
      lactate production at a given pace. That's a good thing, because the amount of energy you get from pyruvate entering the Krebs
      cycle is 19 times greater than what you get from pyruvate being converted into lactate. While pyruvate will always be converted
      into lactate given a fast enough speed, the goal of training is to increase the speed at which that occurs.
      To view past newsletters go to: http://www.runcoachjason.com/newsletter
      Copyright Jason Karp All Rights Reserved - http://www.runcoachjason.com

      3. Sportsmedicine: Heat Injuries:
      Tips for Training and Playing in the Heat.
      With the northern hemisphere right in the middle of summer, heat injuries are on the increase. Although heat injuries are one of the
      most common forms of sports injuries to effect athletes, they are totally preventable.
      Heat injuries occur when your body temperature rises above normal, or when your body is no longer able to regulate heat loss. Heat
      injuries are generally defined in three stages.
      ~ Dehydration: This is the first stage of a heat injury. It's the mildest form of heat injury in which your body simply suffers from
      a lack of fluid.
      ~ Heat Exhaustion: This is the next step beyond dehydration. If not treated immediately, serious injury and even death can result.
      ~ Heat Stroke: This is the worst stage of a heat injury. Without proper medical attention a victim can die within minutes.
      What Causes Heat Injuries?
      There are a number of contributing factor that increase your chances of suffering a heat injury. Some of them are obvious, like high
      temperatures, others are less obvious. To follow is a list of factors to be aware of when training and playing in the heat:
      More...from the Runner's Web at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news_2008/rw_news_20080701_TSH_Heat_Injuries.html

      4. Fitter. Healthier. More orgasmic:
      People can not only run their way to a better sex life , but also have sex to become a better runner, according to a survey of
      studies on the issue by Runner's World magazine.
      Male runners seem to have the sexual prowess of men two to five years younger, it found. Vigorous exercise, combined with lifestyle
      factors such as diet and not smoking, can improve a man's sexual status by up to 10 years.
      "The science is very complex," says Dr. Ted Fenske, an Edmonton cardiologist who ran the Boston Marathon this year. "But running
      will improve vascular health and vascular health is necessary for a male to have proper sexual function."
      Mike Finch, editor of Runner's World's South African edition, says marathoners are "like sexual gods."
      Countless university studies and field work all pointing to a similar -- albeit less bombastic -- conclusion. Because exercise
      increases feel-good hormones and helps improve overall physical function, experts contend that sex stands to be enhanced from
      regular running.
      More...from the National Post at:
      http://www.nationalpost.com/life/health/story.html?id=619021

      5. Recuperative therapy: no pain, no gain:
      Canada's athletes use new techniques to get back in the game.
      Olympic athletes know injuries. Ligament damage in knees, torn muscles in shoulders and broken bones are part of their world. So are
      months of intensive recuperative therapy.
      Their sports have changed little over the years, but the athlete's ability to recover from those debilitating injuries has changed
      considerably.
      In April 1994 Lori-Ann Muenzer was a 28-year-old Canadian track cyclist who was chasing a dream in Cuba. She was undergoing
      intensive training when she went down hard from her bike. Her shoulder hit the ground first and she broke her collar bone.
      "If you can't bench press a broom, there's no way you're going to be able to pull and steer your bicycle," she said. Muenzer's road
      training was over for months.
      Immediately after returning home from Cuba, Muenzer went to the hospital, and began a long, tedious program to regain her strength.
      She began training on a bike in an upright position. She slowly regained strength in her upper body, eventually using soup cans as
      dumbbells.
      Muenzer worked as hard as she could, but missed the Commonwealth Games that August. A decade and a half later, her rehabilitation
      would still have been painful and tedious, but it probably wouldn't have taken nearly as long.
      It is now possible for athletes with injuries like this to resume training immediately and return to competition sooner.
      More...from the CBC at:
      http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/story/2008/05/27/f-olympics-features-injury.html

      6. Back of the Pack - Fit to be downtown
      Hey - wanna get fit? Then ditch that suburban spread, move away from the condo bordering the golf course and - by all means - back
      away from the ravine.
      Concrete jungle's where you want to be. Stick to city living if you want to improve your chances at maintaining a healthy weight -
      if you believe some of the research that's out there.
      Even urban birds seem to have a better handle on getting by than their rural cousins.
      Now Dutch researchers are saying that living close to green space may not be the inducement you need to get active. The research
      published in the online journal BMC Public Health, found that people who live near green spaces walk and cycle less often and for
      shorter periods of time than people in more urban environments.
      The study involved almost 5,000 Dutch residents who responded to questions about their levels of physical activity and how they
      perceived their health. Lead researcher Jolanda Maas said the study suggests that people who live near green spaces walked less
      often, relying more heavily on their cars, probably because stores and other facilities were further away.
      Her take: if you want to get in more walking and cycling in your leisure time, live closer to the places you want to get to.
      The findings echo the results of some other studies that looked at people's activity levels in relation to where they live. Your
      chances of being obese tend to be higher if you live in a rural community than in an urban area, according to one study from Saint
      Louis University School of Public Health. It found that if you live relatively far from places like recreational facilities, stores,
      churches and schools, you're at greater risk of putting on too much weight. Again, because you're relying too heavily on your car.
      More...from the CBC at:
      http://www.cbc.ca/health/fitness-blog/2008/06/fit_to_be_downtown_1.html

      7. RT's Top 12 running orientated commercials:
      Originally it was going to be a top 10 list however there were to many great commercials so we juiced it up to a top 12 list. The
      criteria for these commercials were that they had to be pretty much running related, inspirational and/or humorous. To see more
      running commercials and a wide range of race videos, visit the Runner's Tribe video section. We hope you enjoy our selection.
      More...from the Runner's Tribe at:
      http://www.runnerstribe.com/adclips.html

      8. Tips for a long, healthy life:
      Dan Buettner hasn't discovered the fountain of youth, but he has some pretty good clues on living a longer, healthier life after
      years of studying what he calls "blue zones" -- areas of the world where longevity and health go hand in hand.
      Along with a team of demographers and scientists, Buettner spent seven years studying places where people were living longer and
      better, as outlined in his book, The Blue Zones. That research, funded in party by the National Institute on Aging, found that
      people in these four zones are more likely to see their 100th birthday. Many of them also manage to avoid diseases of lifestyle and
      aging.
      Buettner's blue zones are located in four very different parts of the world: Sardinia, Italy; Okinawa, Japan; the Nicoya Peninsula,
      Costa Rica ; and among the Seventh Day Adventists in Loma Linda, California. (A fifth blue zone may be announced in the fall, he
      told Reuters in an interview.) These four areas are marked not only by a long life expectancy, with a high concentration of
      centenarians, but also by a long healthy life expectancy. Simply put, people living in the blue zones are living longer without the
      years of decline marked by illness like heart disease and cancer that many older North Americans face.
      More...from Reuters at:
      http://features.us.reuters.com/wellbeing/news/9517EF20-3336-11DD-8327-E910DFDD.html

      9. Core strengthening to keep your spine in good shape:
      The sporting spine - what all athletes should know about core strengthening.
      'There are two types of people in this world- those who have back pain and those who are going to get back pain'! While this may be
      an exaggeration, research suggests that 80% of people will suffer with lower back pain at some time in their life(1). But as TJ
      Salih explains, sportsmen and women can reduce this risk with targeted core strengthening work
      Anatomy of the healthy spine
      The spine consists of 33 individual bones or vertebrae and 23 intervertebral discs. The spine is comprised of neck (cervical),
      thorax (thoracic) and lower (lumbar) bones (vertebrae). Each has a slightly different shape, which, when fitted together, form a
      lazy 'S' shaped curve. This curve is very important as it provides the optimum mechanical advantage, putting the least amount of
      stress and strain on the surrounding joints, ligaments and discs.
      The vertebrae communicate with each other via small joints on either side (facet joints). These joints allow only small movements
      within adjacent vertebral bodies but when moved together allow large spinal movements (much like a child's wooden snake toy). These
      joints are like other joints in the body only on a smaller scale; they have cartilage to absorb shock and lubricate like other
      joints.
      More...from Peak Performance Online at:
      http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/caring-for-your-spine

      10. Formulating Your Optimal Race Warm Up:
      By LifeSport Coach Lance Watson
      Most athletes and coaches believe in the value of a good warm-up, though all to often it is forgotten on race day. Have you ever
      been guilty of rushing down to the swim start in time for a quick fifty meter dip, then asking your body to fire on all cylinders at
      full race pace? A good warm up prepares you for racing by increasing the blood flow to the muscles, which delivers oxygen and
      glycogen for energy and performance. Warm muscles are better able to meet the demands of your event right from the beginning. Warm
      ups also help protect against injury. If your muscles are loose and lengthened it is less likely that you will tear or pull
      something when you start into your faster race pace. Finally, warming up allows you to sharpen your skills and activate your
      neuromuscular system to feel coordinated and engaged. Most athletes have drills or routines that help make them feel fast and doing
      those things before a race will better prepare you for a great performance in your event.
      An optimal race warm up routine is individual and event specific. In order to figure out your best race warm up you must figure out
      what works for you and what doesn't. Use your pre-race workouts to help you determine a routine. Once you have established a
      general routine it is easier to make educated adjustments according to the demand and logistics of the day.
      It is important to be properly activated for the swim, as this is the first leg of the race. The first step it to think about swim
      workouts where you have performed well in the past. What did you do in warm up and the workout prior to your top performance? For
      instance, if you are an athlete who swims a personal best for a timed 400 meter freestyle at the end of a long set, then you likely
      need a longer swim warm up to feel activated. People who feel best right at the beginning of swim workout likely need a shorter warm
      up. Consider how you would feel after a 300-400 meters of swimming with pick-ups. Swim fitness dictates the warm up as well. If you
      get tired after swimming for 10 minutes continuously then don't venture out into the middle of a lake on race morning. If you are
      very fit and comfortable in the water, then a longer swim warm up of about 10-15 minutes would be just what you need. Start out
      with a nice, easy three to four minutes of swimming. Incorporate some drills that you like and ones that make you feel fast. Do two
      or three sets of 20 to 30 strokes of drills. The drills should be done with a bit of tempo, not just floating along. After the
      drills do some pick-ups to engage your muscles in a race specific range of motion, and to increase arterial blood flow. Increase you
      stroke rate and build up your speed over a certain number of strokes. An athlete who needs more warm up may do 150 meters (or
      100-150 strokes) at your triathlon 1500 meter race pace. The athlete who needs less warm up may do three or four repeats of 20 to 30
      strokes at race pace. At the end of your warm up you should leave at least a 50 to 100 meters to swim back in easy and loose and to
      check out the swim exit. Use this warm up time to familiarize yourself with the course. What are you going to be looking for when
      towards the water exit? Is there a large buoy that is easy to see, or tall building or tree that would be easier to sight off of?
      It is always reassuring to finish your warm up with a few good exhales and some good confidence building thoughts in knowing the
      racecourse and specifically the swim exit and the entry into the transition zone.
      More...from LifeSport at:
      http://www.lifesport.ca/JulyRaceTip.htm

      11. 10k training: What does science have to say about the right training programme for the 10K?
      The arrival of spring no doubt means you'll be running 10k races more frequently. You'd like to do as well as possible, but trimming
      your 10k times requires a smart, systematic approach to training, not just a hodgepodge of interval sessions and longer runs.
      Consulting the various running books for 10k advice is like opening a pandora's box of workouts and training schedules; there are so
      many recommendations that it's hard to know exactly where to begin or what to do. Isn't there a simple, scientifically sound way to
      prepare for 10k competitions?
      Well, science has been annoyingly silent about 10k racing. For one thing, exercise scientists don't usually look at race
      performances to evaluate the merits of their tinkerings, preferring instead to assess VO2max, running economy, lactate threshold, or
      some other variable obtained in the laboratory under controlled conditions. And when a race is utilised to gauge the worth of
      various training programmes, the chosen competition is almost always a 5K. After all, it's easier to get initially untrained
      subjects to agree to run a 5K, rather than a race which is double the distance
      However, there have been a few attempts to judge the value of various 10k training programmes. The most notable effort was carried
      out by a pretty fair runner - Peter Snell (gold medallist at the 1960 Olympic Games and double-gold medallist at the 1964 Olympics)
      - and his colleagues at the University of Texas Southwestern Human Performance Center in the 1980s. Snell et al worked with 10
      runners over a 16-week period. For the first six weeks of the study, the runners, who were pretty well trained to begin with, logged
      about 50 miles of steady running per week
      More...from Peak Performance Online at:
      http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0004.htm

      12. 6 Ways to Improve Your Race Day Results:
      By Kelly Cawthorn
      How do you prepare for race day? Are you a meticulous planner who follows a detailed training schedule leading up to the big day?
      Or do you just fly by the seat of your pants? Regardless of your methods and style of training, diet will have a much greater
      impact on your race results than you might think. Try to incorporate some or all of the following nutritional guidelines in your
      next race gameplan.
      Food Log. No matter what the length of your event is, what you eat and drink deserves some attention and pre-planning. Write down
      everything you eat and drink each day including the time and how you feel - this gives you valuable information you can use to
      figure out which foods and beverages affect you during training, good or bad. This way you'll know how to fuel your body on race
      day.
      Trial and Error. Whatever you choose to eat and drink, it's critical that you've tested it out ahead of time in as close to race
      day conditions as possible - time of day, temperature, humidity, etc.
      Pre-Race Nutrition. Pre-race nutrition should consist of a healthy breakfast including primarily low glycemic carbohydrates, some
      fat, and some protein containing branched chain amino acids. Ideally, this meal should be eaten at least 2 hours before the start
      of the race and consist of 400-600 calories depending on body size. An example of what this looks like is fruit with eggs. You'll
      want to choose fruits that are relatively low in fiber so they don't upset your stomach - cantaloupe, watermelon, and banana. High
      fiber fruits to avoid include apples, berries, grapes, and pineapple. If you're unable to tolerate solid foods in the morning or if
      you have pre-race jitters, you may be able to digest liquids better. Blend low-fiber fruit with fruit juice and 2 or 3 tablespoons
      of protein powder. One hour before the race take in nothing but plain water to prevent an insulin spike. Ten minutes before the
      race is set to begin, take in a liquid carbohydrate source up to 16 oz - this can be a gel with water or a drink.
      Post-Race Nutrition. The best time to start planning for your next race is now. What you eat right after a race becomes more
      important with duration and intensity of the race. After a long and/or highly intense race, eat as soon as you can, ideally within
      30 minutes. This is your recovery window of opportunity - the time to replenish muscle glycogen most efficiently and for muscle
      repair. Sweet potatoes are a great recovery food. Include some canned salmon and not only will you get a high quality protein but
      also a good dose of omega-3 fatty acids which will help in muscle repair. You can use a recovery drink that has both carbohydrate
      and protein in a 4:1 ratio if you're not able to stomach solid food right away.
      Full Meal after Race. Your next full meal after the race should continue to focus around moderate to high glycemic carbohydrates
      along with protein at a 4:1 carb to protein ratio. This is the time (post-exercise is really the only time) to eat foods rich in
      glucose such as sweet potatoes, potatoes, and dried fruit.
      Between Races. Race day is over - until the next training session return to eating a Paleo diet - lean protein, veggies, fruits,
      nuts, and seeds.
      Don't leave it to chance - keep a food log - learn what works for you and what doesn't. One week try a liquid food pre-workout, the
      next week try solids. When you right it down, you have something to work from rather than shooting in the dark. Enjoy your event!
      Kelly Cawthorn is a Registered Dietitian specializing in paleolithic nutrition for athletes To contact Kelly e-mail her at
      mailto:kcawthorn@....

      13. Stepping Up to Ironman - Without Overstepping:
      By Coach Brendon
      If you read all the great articles on getting ready for your first Ironman, you could easily be overwhelmed by the process and
      what's required. Further it would be really easy to take all the individual advice in swimming, cycling and running and cobble
      together a program that is completely unrealistic and leaves you on the start line looking like a strip of well done bacon from your
      BBQ.
      So I though readers might be interested in an executive summary of what's actually required to undertake your first Ironman.
      The first thing that you need to know is that whilst most athletes get themselves fit enough to complete Ironman, what they often
      fail to do is prepare specifically and in particular they don't optimize their PACING to match their fitness or FUEL themselves
      correctly over the day to maximise the fitness that they have. It's a long day and you don't need to be fast to do a good job, you
      just need to be consistent and prepared by simulating enough to test that everything is ready.
      So my first key point is that your preparation needs to focus on details that make the actual day run smoothly. So apart from
      fitness and pacing, the other key areas are race day nutrition, pacing strategies, efficiency and having reliable equipment (reads a
      bike that won't break).
      Let's look at these in turn.
      Fitness
      The key thing with Ironman is having covered nearly the distances of each of the legs in training, SEPARATELY - so it's 3.8km Swim,
      180km Ride and around 32-36km running. The run doesn't need to be 42km, indeed doing 42km in training leading into Ironman can be
      counter productive as it often takes too much out of you, a better strategy is to have run over 60km in a week, closer to 80km in a
      single week is a good bench mark to aim for. And the truth is that ONE session of this sort of distance is enough... BUT. you
      wouldn't schedule only one session in the plan because it exposes you to the possibility of not getting a session done. My advice to
      first timers - plan to take on the distance sessions 2-3 times leading in and then if you miss one, no worries!
      More...from Endurance Coach at:
      http://www.endurancecoach.com/Stepping_Up_to_Ironman.htm

      14. This Week in Running:
      10 Years Ago- Sonia O'Sullivan (IRL) lowered the world two mile (outdoor track) record by nearly
      20 seconds at the Cork City Sports meeting in Dublin IRL with a 9:19.56. Amy Rudolph
      (USA) at 9:21.35, Kathy Butler (CAN) at 9:27.18, and Yuko Kawakami (JPN) at 9:35.04
      were also under the old record. O'Sullivan's record stood until last year when
      Meseret Defar (ETH) lowered it to 9:10.47. Mark Carroll (IRL) won the men's 5000m
      in 13:20.82.
      20 Years Ago- Vincent Rousseau (BEL) won the World Games 5000m in Helsinki FIN with a 13:30.74.
      Tatyana Samolenko (UKR) won the women's 3000m in 8:43.48, followed closely by Natalya
      Artyemova (RUS) in 8:43.82, Iulia Ionescu (ROM) in 8:44.30, and Kathrin Wessel (GER)
      in 8:44.81.
      30 Years Ago- The German men went 1-2 against the Soviets in a Soviet Union vs West Germany meet held
      in Dortmund GER. Frank Zimmerman won in 7:49.1 with Detlef Uhlemann 2nd in 7:50.0. The
      Soviets came back the next day with Enn Sellik (EST) winning the 5000m in 13:31.75.
      40 Years Ago- Martins Ande (NGR) won the Denver (CO/USA) Marathon in 2:34:46. Author Hal Higdon (USA)
      was 2nd in 2:35:47 while 6-time Pike's Peak Marathon winner Steve Gachupin (USA) was
      6th in 2:43:26.
      50 Years Ago- Colin Kemball (ENG) won the Polytechnic (ENG) Marathon in 2:22:27.4. 12-time AUT marathon
      champion Adolf Gruber was 2nd in 2:23:30.0 while Arthur Keily (ENG) was 3rd in 2:23:32.
      60 Years Ago- Emil Zatopek (CZE) won the Czechoslovak 5000m championship in 14:21.0.
      From The Analytical Distance Runner, the newsletter for the Association of Road Racing Statisticians with a
      focus on races, 3000m and longer, including road, track, and cross-country events.

      15. To Beat the Heat, Learn to Sweat It Out:
      YOU already know that if you exercise outside on hot and humid days, you should drink plenty of water. And you are probably well
      aware of the risk of heat stroke given the countless reports about the warning signs.
      But if you're going to be out exercising anyway, you may have different questions: How long does it take to acclimate to the heat
      and humidity, and what is the best way to do it? How much does your performance time slow when it is sweltering and humid, and why?
      Does it help to douse your head with water?
      Should you go out in the morning, when it is cooler but the relative humidity is higher, or at night, when it tends to be hotter but
      less humid?
      The answers, some exercise physiologists say, are not always what you might expect.
      There is no question that heat can take a toll on performance. Look, for example, at results from races on the second weekend in
      June, when a heat wave gripped the Northeast.
      On June 7, over 4,000 women ran the New York Mini 10-K race in Central Park. When the race began at 9 a.m., it was 71 degrees and
      the humidity was 78 percent. The winning time, 32 minutes 43 seconds, by Hilda Kibet, was the slowest in a decade.
      "From the beginning, my legs were not really moving," Ms. Kibet told The New York Times.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/03/health/nutrition/03Best.html?_r=1&ref=fitnessandnutrition&oref=slogin

      16. The Validity Of EPO Testing For Athletes:
      Recombinant human erythropoietin (rHuEpo) is a genetically engineered hormone sometimes misused by high-performance athletes such as
      cyclists and marathon runners to boost their endurance. The potential misuse of the drug is detected in urine collected from
      athletes.
      Since the test was introduced in 2000, 33 labs around the world have been accredited by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) to
      administer the procedure. During the last few years, the testing procedure has been criticized by some. Accordingly, a team of
      researchers investigated the quality of the test results at two WADA labs. They found that the detection power of the test at the
      two labs was poor.
      The Study
      The researchers conducted the study using eight male volunteers (non-athletes). Following baseline measurements, the volunteers were
      injected every second day for 14 days with 5,000 IU rHuEpo (the "boosting period"). For the next two weeks, the volunteers received
      one injection every seven days (the "maintenance" period). Blood samples were drawn before the injections and on eight additional
      occasions. Urine samples were collected before the blood draws and on six additional days. Exercise tests using a bicycle ergometer
      were conducted prior to injection and on three other occasions.
      More...from Science Daily at:

      17. Many Sunscreens Don't Work Or Are Hazardous To Health Says Group:
      A non-profit group in the US claims that most sunscreens either don't work or are hazardous to health, but the sunscreen industry
      rejects the charge. The Environmental Working Group (EWG) said their investigation of nearly 1,000 brand-name sunscreens showed that
      4 out of 5 of them either don't adequately protect against damaging UV radiation or contain potentially hazardous chemicals.
      Leading brands like Coppertone, Banana Boat and Neutrogena were among the worst offenders, claimed the EWG in their report,
      "Sunscreen Summary - What Works and What's Safe", published on their website yesterday, 2nd July.
      The sunscreen market is growing, with more Americans than ever using products to protect themselves from sun damage and skin cancer.
      Consumers tend to choose products with a high Sun Protection Factor (SPF), are waterproof and claim to offer "broad spectrum"
      protection, wrote the authors. However, few of the claims on the bottle were met.
      The EWG researchers investigated 952 name-brand sunscreens, and found only 143 products that offered very good sun protection using
      ingredients that posed minimum health risks. They based their assessment on "a detailed review of hundreds of scientific studies,
      industry models of sunscreen efficacy, and toxicity and regulatory information housed in nearly 60 government, academic, and
      industry databases".
      They found that none of the market leader Coppertone's 41 sunscreens met EWG's criteria for safety and effectiveness, and only 1 out
      of 103 of Banana Boat and Neutrogena products, the second and third largest manufacturers, are on EWG's recommended list.
      More...from Medical News Today at:
      http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/113765.php

      18. Doctors call for heart checks on athletes:
      Mandatory heart screening should be introduced for all athletes taking part in competitive sports, doctors said.
      Regular heart check-ups could dramatically reduce the number of athletes who die from sudden heart failure by identifying medical
      problems early on, according to a study in the British Medical Journal.
      In Britain and across Europe heart screening has developed erratically. Some bodies, such as the International Olympics Committee,
      recommend check-ups for elite athletes but do not insist on them, while football associations such as Uefa are only now introducing
      tests.
      Doctors at the University of Florence in Italy analysed data from 30,065 athletes who had electrocardiogram (ECG) heart tests over a
      five-year period ending in 2006. Italy introduced mandatory heart check-ups 25 years ago.
      The study found that after a first scan doctors identified 348 (1.2%) athletes with abnormal heart activity. A second scan, after
      exercise, revealed 1,459 (4.9%) had some form of heart abnormality.
      Francesco Sofi, who led the study, said: "The use of this kind of screening could identify people who are at high or moderate risk
      of having a cardiac accident during sport," said Sofi.
      More...from the Guardian at:
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/jul/04/medicalresearch.health

      19. Aiming to Sell the World on Fitness:
      Technogym, the world's second-largest maker of exercise equipment, has a strategy for fighting the declining dollar: promote
      exercise as a necessary luxury.
      On the eve of the European Central Bank's expected increase in interest rates, a move likely to drive the value of the dollar still
      lower, Technogym is taking a page from the Italian fashion industry, focusing on reputation, cachet and flair, celebrating customers
      like Sylvester Stallone, Madonna and George Clooney.
      "Fashion is looking good outside; wellness is feeling good inside. It's the new frontier of luxury," said Nerio Alessandri, the
      46-year-old who owns and runs Technogym, second only in size to America-based Life Fitness, and exclusive supplier of 1,000 exercise
      machines on the grounds of the 2008 Olympics.
      The United States is the world's biggest fitness market. But in case growth in the American market slows - as it seems to be with
      every other consumer good and service - Mr. Alessandri has expanded the company's reach in recent years to Dubai, Russia and China,
      countries where few people join health clubs and fewer still have home equipment.
      In addition to mining such growth markets, Technogym's other strategy for surviving an American (or trans-Atlantic) downturn is
      containing costs.
      Assembly lines are organized like an auto plant, with just-in-time supplies of components, digital message boards flashing the day's
      production target versus the actual production numbers, and slogans announcing "Quality and reliability are our first objectives."
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/03/business/worldbusiness/03fitness.html?ref=fitnessandnutrition

      20. Digest Briefs:
      * Get into the exercise habit
      A few minutes of activity a day is better than none
      Thirty minutes isn't such a long time. Most people think nothing of plopping down to watch a half-hour sitcom or news program. But
      try telling people they need to get 30 minutes a day of moderate-to-intense exercise for maximum health. Suddenly, half an hour
      sounds like an eternity.
      Fortunately, exercise taken in smaller than 30-minute bites also translates into better health. That is to say, even a little
      exercise is better than none at all. Exactly how much better is not known. But that shouldn't discourage you from walking, when
      possible, instead of driving; taking the stairs instead of the elevator; or pedalling on a stationary bike while you watch TV.
      In fact, there are a hundred little opportunities to challenge yourself in the course of a day. Each by itself isn't much. But they
      add up. For instance, when you park at a mall or shopping centre, choose a spot far from the front door and enjoy the walk. Wash
      your car by hand, and think proactively about burning calories. Play with your kids! Their energy and enthusiasm can be contagious.
      What about those two to three minutes twice a day you spend brushing your teeth while you're just standing there? This is a
      fantastic opportunity to stand one-legged (or two if you must) and perform shallow brief mini-squats. Your quadriceps (thigh),
      gluteus (buttock) and even your core (abdominal) muscles will get a great workout and you'll improve your sense of balance. If your
      workplace allows it, try sitting on an exercise ball at your desk instead of a standard office chair. Talk about a daily dose of
      core conditioning!
      In time, doing these and other small exercises will become a habit. You'll start looking for new challenges. Who knows? You may work
      your way up to that golden half hour of exercise without even knowing it.
      -Tim Rindlisbacher, BSc (PT), MD, diploma in sport medicine, is director of sports health at the Cleveland Clinic in Toronto.
      * Ask the Coaches: Possible Causes of Calf Pain
      As featured in the issue of Running Times Magazine
      Q: Possible Causes for Calf Pain: I believe I have posterior compartment syndrome. What can I do to prevent these "attacks" from
      occurring? What triggers these episodes? Thanks.
      --Jeff from Texas
      A: Describing your symptoms as an attack leads me to believe that you are not experiencing compartment syndrome.
      Compartment syndrome involving the calf muscles (superficial posterior compartment) is not common. With compartment syndrome, the
      muscles swell beyond the expansion capability of the surrounding tissue (fascia) creating a tourniquet effect on the blood vessels
      and nerves. This develops at a certain point during each bout of exercise and will resolve with cessation of activities. It is not
      sudden in presentation (like an attack), but gradually worsens to the point of intolerable pain.
      Calf cramps are a much more common cause of calf pain. Causes include muscle fatigue and dehydration. Electrolyte abnormalities may
      contribute to cramping as can previous injury to the muscle. Maximizing flexibility and strength should help. Strength exercises
      include calf raises with your heels hanging off of the edge of a step, lowering your heels as far as they will go and then rising on
      your toes. Perform 30 reps slowly standing on both feet, gradually increasing the speed of repetitions over a couple of weeks. Then
      start performing the exercises on one leg, starting slowly and gradually increasing speed; perform the single leg exercises on each
      leg.
      Make sure that you maintain good hydration during exercise. If you sweat heavily, add salt to your food. Apply ice to your legs
      following hard workouts to speed recovery.
      If symptoms persist, seek medical evaluation for other sources of pain, including possible entrapment of the popliteal artery at the
      knee. Special testing is needed to evaluate for this and other sources of pain, including compartment syndrome.
      --Dr. Cathy Fieseler
      * Mosquitoes Prefer Fitness Freaks?
      FROM BLOG: FitSugar - Healthy, happy you. - FitSugar is an online hot spot for reading anything and everything related to health,
      wellness, fitness, yoga, relaxation, celeb trends and weight loss. From the latest health news to the coolest...
      I now know why I attract mosquitoes, and my dear husband does not. It has nothing to do with "taste." Mosquitoes bite people that
      are easiest to find. The insects hone in on their victims through signals people emit that are scent and heat related. Body
      temperature, the amount of carbon monoxide in the breath, and certain skin chemicals like lactic acid all help mosquitoes locate
      their next meal. All three of those factors are increased with exercise, making you more vulnerable to bites during and immediately
      after exercise. Simply put, I exercise more than my husband and I have the bites to prove it. I am not tastier, just hotter
      literally and probably more stinky, at least to the mosquitoes
      * Beach to Beacon Launches Medical History Program
      The TD Banknorth Beach to Beacon 10K has launched a pilot program to collect the medical history of runners and enhance care on race
      day. Race officials are urging runners to participate in the voluntary program. The TD Banknorth Beach to Beacon is the first road
      race nationwide to implement an online personal health record service as part of the medical care provided to runners. Race
      officials are partnering with MedicalSummary.com to offer the 2008 race field an opportunity to submit vital medical information
      safely and securely online. In the past, race officials relied solely on a rapid medical team response from a well-educated staff to
      help an ailing runner, as doctors had no way of determining medical history along the <br/><br/>(Message over 64 KB, truncated)