Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest - June 6, 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2008
      A FREE WEEKLY E-ZINE OF MULTISPORT RELATED ARTICLES. The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is a weekly e-zine dealing with the
      sports of running and triathlon and general fitness and health issues. The opinions expressed in the articles referenced by the
      Digest are the opinions of the writers and not necessarily those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at
      http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out our daily news, features, polls, trivia, bulletin
      boards and more. General questions should be posted to one of our forums available from our FrontPage.

      1. Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women - Canada's Fastest Women's 5K November 10, 2007: Prize Money
      Announced for Teams RunnersWeb.com Inc. is pleased to announce the addition of $2,250 in prize money for the top teams for the 2008
      Emilie's Run. This prize money is in addition to the previously announced $5,500 in individual prize money for the top open and
      masters runners and the primes for the leaders at 1 through 4K. The team prize money will be allocated as follows: 1st (Open):
      $1,000, 2nd: $750, 3rd: $500 A maximum of 5 entrants per team, top 3 to score. The 2008 edition of Emilie's Run will take place on
      Saturday, June 21st at the Aviation Museum in Ottawa with $5,500 in cash prizes for the top open and masters and merchandise prizes
      for the top teams and age-groupers. There will also be a 1K run for children. For more on the race visit the website at:
      http://www.emiliesrun.com.
      Join Emilie's Run Community and contribute at:
      http://groups-beta.google.com/group/emiliesrun?hl=en
      January 4, 2008: Goodlife Fitness has come on board as a sponsor of Emilie's Run GoodLife Fitness - Coed or Women's Only Visit
      www.GoodLifeFitness.com today to receive 3 FREE Visits! Your 3 FREE visits include: . A Visual Fitness Planner Consultation . Fit
      Fix Orientation to learn how to exercise safely and effectively . Access to all cardio and strength-training equipment . Access to
      all of our world-class Group EXercise classes . A copy of Living the Good Life audio CD Get started today! Visit
      www.GoodLifeFitness.com Limited time offer.

      3. Road Runner Sports, the world's largest running store at:
      New Arrivals from Nike With Web Exclusive Apparel and More!

      4. Goodlife Toronto Waterfront Marathon, 2008
      http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/

      5. Mississauga Marathon The 5th anniversary edition of the Mississauga Marathon will be run on May 11, 2008 with the 10K the evening
      before on May 10th. Register before February 6th to beat the price increase. For more visit the race site at:
      http://www.mississaugamarathon.com

      6. Training Peaks Training Peaks, LLC is dedicated to the endurance athlete and coach. With our industry leading software products,
      we're committed to help you monitor, analyze and plan your training. We encourage you to draw on our passion for excellence to help
      you reach your athletic dreams. Trusted by thousands. Dedicated to you.
      http://www.trainingpeaks.com/

      7. Running Free Running Free is a complete online running store with everything for the casual to serious runner. They also have
      retail stores in the GTA (Toronto) and Markham. Check them out at:
      http://www.runningfree.com

      8. January 4, 2008: Goodlife Fitness has come on board as a sponsor of Emilie's Run GoodLife Fitness - Coed or Women's Only Visit
      www.GoodLifeFitness.com today to receive 3 FREE Visits! Your 3 FREE visits include: . A Visual Fitness Planner Consultation . Fit
      Fix Orientation to learn how to exercise safely and effectively . Access to all cardio and strength-training equipment . Access to
      all of our world-class Group EXercise classes . A copy of Living the Good Life audio CD Get started today! Visit
      www.GoodLifeFitness.com Limited time offer.

      9. Watch over 50 IAAF Events Live and On-Demand. World Championship Sports Network ABOUT WCSN World Championship Sports Network
      (WCSN) is the premier destination for fans of Olympic and lifestyle sports, delivering an immersive experience via exclusive live
      and on demand coverage of world class competitions, interaction with top athletes and in depth access to sports news and information
      year round. WCSN offers comprehensive coverage of over 60 sports disciplines, through exclusive long term programming agreements
      across a number of key International Federations and National Governing Bodies. Major championship events in sports ranging from
      Athletics (Track & Field), Skiing, Swimming, Gymnastics and Cycling to Volleyball, Karate and Taekwondo are featured online at
      http://tinyurl.com/ysnvnh and on television via WCSN's weekly syndicated television program, World Championship Sports, available in
      more than 45 million US households. WCSN also markets Olympic sports in partnership with International Federations, National
      Governing Bodies, local organizations, clubs, sponsors, and through related websites and publications. WCSN is dedicated to
      providing year round, in depth coverage of these important and exciting sports to reach millions of fans around the world for whom
      they represent a way of life. WCSN is committed to expanding the audience by delivering programming that exemplifies the best of the
      human spirit. WCSN enables fans to interact with world class champions as well as get to know the up and coming athletes through
      blogs, interviews and their broadcast commentary. Consistent with the world class caliber of the sports it celebrates, WCSN delivers
      high quality production values, leveraging state-of-the-art-technology and next generation distribution platforms to provide an
      immersive, interactive experience available anytime, anywhere.
      Visit WCSN at: http://tinyurl.com/ysnvnh

      11. BeatRunning Music for runners: Music to start running, for experienced runners and for interval training.
      Check it out at: http://www.beatrunning.com

      12. Mi-Sport - The Ultimate Sports MP3 Player Introducing the world's first and only waterproof and wireless sports mp3 player.
      These Mi-SPORT mp3 headphones have a 1GB memory built into a cool neckband design. At last no wire tangle and no earbuds to fall
      out. The patented design makes this waterproof/sweatproof mp3 player great for running, cycling and gym work. The player however is
      more than splash proof! It can be completely submerged with no harm to it making it perfect for swimming, kayaking, and water
      skiing. Now incorporating the latest 3D music quality with it's adapted waterproof speaker. Relax to music in the bath, or push out
      that training session with no fear of losing your player or tangling the wires. Circuit training is so much easier with your own
      music. Enjoy the waves wire-free. This is the only waterproof pair of classic headphones with a built in mp3 player in the world.
      The stylish looking headphones play the usual MP3, WMA and WAV formats and are compatible with Windows98/98SE/2000/XP and Apple MAC.
      Depending on track length, the headphones hold well over 14 hours worth of music and the rechargeable battery life is about 8 hours.
      Nick Matthew, the 2006 British Open squash champion now uses the player to train with and Mi-SPORT are endeavouring to encourage
      more athletes to enjoy the benefits of training to wire-free music, podcasts or coaching aids. Inspiration and freedom at last, for
      athletes and exercise enthusiasts everywhere.
      Check it out at: http://www.mi-sportmp3.com/

      ASSOCIATIONS: The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional Organization for the Running Industry.
      http://www.runningusa.org/

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS: Check the "New Subscribers' note at the bottom of the newsletter

      Add the Runner's Web News feed to your site through a simple JavaScript. Check out OnTri.com's implementation at:
      http://www.ontri.com/runnersweb.html
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is now available
      through an RSS feed for myYahoo at:
      http://e.my.yahoo.com/config/cstore?.opt=content&.url=http%3a//rss.groups.yahoo.
      com/group/RunnersWeb/rss [Long URL] The Digest is also available through other RSS Readers on request.

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet Explorer from the link on our FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com . We have added a button for Lauren Groves, Triathlete.

      If anyone is looking for a web mail provider, you might wish to consider Google's GMail. You can now sign up for free Gmail at
      Google WITHOUT AN INVITATION at: www.gmail.com

      Free Shipping with Under Armour® for Father's Day
      Shop a wide variety of men's clothing for Father's Day at Under Armour®. They are offering their most compelling promotion yet!
      Get Free Shipping with no threshold through June 9th! See below for more details:
      Free Shipping with no threshold!
      Coupon Code: 1Father
      Ends June 9th, 2008
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000024670010&pubid=21000000000028567

      Also, Under Armour® is pleased to announce the launch of their outlet page where you can find top products at reduced prices
      year-round. They're currently offering products with up to 25% in savings!
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000024671143&pubid=21000000000028567

      Nike Men's Shox Remix + II Running Shoe (Style: 318433 Color: 001) Only $109.99
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000024629786&pubid=21000000000028567

      Nike Women's Shox Remix + II Running Shoe (Style: 318434 Color: 161) Only $109.99
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000024629800&pubid=21000000000028567

      Nike Women's Shox NZ Running Shoe (Style: 309206 Color: 013) Only $114.99
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000024629807&pubid=21000000000028567

      Watch the on-demand webcast of the Boston Marathon FREE on WCSN.
      Sign up at:
      http://www.wcsn.com/sport/index.jsp?id=34003&affiliateID=hptRunWebLNAV1A021208&partnerId=hptRunWebLNAV1A021208

      FASTSKIN LZR Racer Speedo has harnessed the expertise of NASA and a number of international research institutes to create a faster
      suit, the FASTSKIN LZR Racer. FASTSKIN LZR Racer Facts: 10% less passive drag than Speedo's FASTSKIN FSII (launched 2004) 5% less
      passive drag than Speedo's FASTSKIN FS-PROR (launched 2007) Swimmers broke 21 World Records wearing the suit The popularity of this
      amazing new technology is making a splash, and now your customers can pre-order this product! FASTSKIN LZR Racer - Pre-order now!
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000024077515&pubid=21000000000028567

      New Affiliates: Foot Locker: Footlocker Clearance Sale up to 50% off
      http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=pgaZgw/VDU4&offerid=101680.10000103&type=3&subid=0

      FRS Healthy Energy Drink: A new kind of Healthy Energy Drink that provides sustained energy without the Crash. Using a unique
      patented formula powered by Quercetin, a potent antioxidant found in fruits and vegetables. A breakthrough antioxidant energy
      formula, FRS contains powerful nutrients and key vitamins to help you naturally increase energy and stay healthy. Whether you're
      dieting, starting an exercise program, or just looking for a healthy boost, FRS can help. About FRS and Lance Armstrong Lance's
      relationship with FRS is more than an endorsement deal, it's a partnership. After carefully reviewing the science behind the product
      and meeting our management team, Lance has joined our Board of Directors and chosen FRS to be the exclusive beverage he represents
      worldwide. FRS aligns with his lifestyle choices and what he believes in. Power your life with FRS.
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000023989281

      I've created a Runner's Web Group on Facebook. To join the Runner's Web Facebook group, if you are not a member of Facebook, you

      mailto:webmaster@... or leave your comments in one of our Forums at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/forum.html or from our FrontPage.

      We have 2,353 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe at:

      * ACTIVE.COM RunnersWeb.com has teamed up with Active Trainer coaches to offer training programs that are a balance of aerobic,
      anaerobic and cross-training workouts. These training programs are built to get people of all levels across the finish line. From
      the first timer to the seasoned veteran you will find the right training plan for you. Good luck with your training and we will see
      you at the finish line. Training Log and Analysis: Log your daily workouts and monitor your progress along the way. Getting Started:
      Set a realistic goal for training. Review the list of training programs developed by Active Trainer Coaches. Select the program that
      best matches your current training schedule. If you have been inactive, select a conservative schedule to assure success and
      decrease the risk of injury. Plug in the start date or the date of your target race and go! The schedule will automatically be
      entered into your log. It is as simple as that... Training: Select the daily email to receive your training by the day or log on to
      your account and review the entire schedule. Use the interactive log to enter in valuable training information. The more information
      you enter in your personal log, the better. You will be able to use this information in the future to evaluate performance, keep
      track of what works and what doesn't and stay motivated to see just how far you've come.
      Sign up at:
      www.RunnersWebCoach.com OR http://training.active.com/ActiveTrainer/listing.do?listing=51

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey. Sheila is one of Ottawa's top multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C
      Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public Health and works in the field of nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the
      University of California, San Diego. Her column index is available at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/SK_index.html

      * Carmichael Training Systems Carmichael Training Systems was founded in 1999 by Chris Carmichael. From the beginning, the mission
      of the company has been to improve the lives of individuals we work with through the application of proper and effective fitness and
      competitive training techniques. Whether your focus is recreational, advanced, or you are a professional racer, the coaching
      methodology employed by CTS will make you a better athlete. Check the latest monthly column from CTS at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/cts_columns.html.
      Carmichael Training Systems at:
      http://www.trainright.com/promos.asp?code=DSBYBFCSP

      * Peak Running Performance Peak Running Is The Nation's Most Advanced Running Newsletter. Rated as the #1 Running Publication by
      Road Runner Sports (Worlds Largest Running Store) , Peak Running caters to the serious / dedicated runner. Delivering world class
      running advice are some of running's most recognizable athletes including Dr. Joe Vigil (US Olympic Coach), Scott Tinley (2 Time
      Ironman Champ) Steve Scott (3 Time Olympian) and many more. This bi-monthly newsletter has been around for over 13 years, and in the
      past two it has been awarded the "Golden Shoe Award" in recognition of it's outstanding achievements.

      * Running Research News: RRN's free, weekly, training update provides subscribers with the most-current, practical, scientifically
      based information about training, sports nutrition, injury prevention, and injury rehabilitation. The purpose of this weekly e-zine
      is to improve subscribers' training quality and to help them train in an injury-free manner. Running Research News also publishes a
      complete, 12-page, electronic newsletter 10 times a year (one-year subscriptions are $35); to learn more about Running Research
      News, please see the Online Article Index and "About Running Research News" sections below or go to RRNews.com. Check out the
      article index at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RRN_index.html

      community. We have NO personal postings this week.

      THIS WEEK'S DIGEST ARTICLE INDEX:

      1. VO2max Newsletter
      2. Strength Training Injury
      Ten Common Causes and How to Avoid Them.
      3. Fatigue examined
      The mystery of Fatigue: Anticipatory Regulation and the limits to exercise performance.
      4. Swallow This
      Forget the ice and ibuprofen. The best way to recover from exercise is through your stomach.
      5. The Wright Stuff
      Treatments for cartilage issues in Masters athletes.
      6. Deena Kastor
      The Olympic Bronze Medalist Talks about Athens, Boston, and Beijing.
      7. Children and Marathoning
      At What Distance Can We Consider it Safe?
      8. When to skip that massage
      9. Rethink that sports drink
      Sugar water or nutritional supplement?
      10. Caffeine and Endurance
      11. 5 Tips for Open Water Swimming
      12. Marathoning and Skin Cancers
      Science says there is no clear link between marathoning and skin cancer (especially the really bad ones)
      13. Seeking to Sponsor Socially Responsible Athletes
      14. The Top Three Marathon Workouts
      15. This Week in Running
      16. The Coaching Files: Everything You Need to Know About Power To Weight Ratio
      17. Muscle Cramps
      18. Real Thought for Food for Long Workouts
      How much truth is there to the myth that athletes should have a protein and carbohydrates mix within a certain time frame after
      workouts or else they risk slowing their recovery?
      19. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health e-Zine

      "Do you agree with the IAAF's decision to allow Oscar Pistorius ("The Blade Runner") to compete in IAAF competitions against
      able-bodied athletes?"

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage ( http://www.runnersweb.com) as well as checking the results of previous polls.

      LAST WEEK'S POLL RESULTS:
      "Did you run at this year's Ottawa Race Weekend?"
      Answers Percent
      1. 2K 0%
      2. 5K 11%
      3. 10K 5%
      4. Half-Marathon 16%
      5. Marathon 11%
      6. Did not run 58%

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE MONTH: IronDistance.com.
      There is only one short cut on your way to the finish line. We are here to help you find the race that is right for you.
      An iron distance triathlon consists of a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, and a 26.2 mile run. It is considered by many to be the
      ultimate endurance test.
      The Top Ten elements to look for in an iron distance race.
      You put endless hours of training into preparation for your race. Make sure the event you enter puts in the same effort to make
      your day a memorable one.
      The site has recently added a race rating system.
      More...from www.IronDistance.com.

      BOOK/VIDEO OF THE MONTH: Championship Triathlon Training
      Train less to race faster
      Triathlon expert offers tips for multisport conditioning
      Windsor, ON-- George Dallam, PhD, USA Triathlon's first national team coach, leads the way in triathlon coaching. As the longtime
      coach of Hunter Kemper, the top-ranked triathlete in the ITU World Cup during 2005 and most of 2006, Dallam shares many of his
      coaching insights for serious triathlon participants in an upcoming book.
      In Championship Triathlon Training (Human Kinetics, May 2008), Dallam and coauthor Steven Jonas, MD, address essential components
      for effective triathlon training:
      · Make transitions a competitive advantage rather than a drain.
      · Use Dallam's novel method of projecting target training velocities in swimming, cycling, and running.
      · Employ simple technologies to maximize the adaptive process and get more enjoyment out of training.
      · Alter breathing patterns to improve ventilatory efficiency, reduce heart rate and blood pressure, and improve training
      consistency and performance.
      · Develop the psychological skills to improve performance and enjoy the process more.
      · Build movement-specific strength to improve basic speed and endurance-related speed in swimming, cycling, and running.
      According to Dallam, by implementing particular training components, athletes can train less to race faster. "These are
      specific methods that any athlete can use to develop more effective technique in swimming, cycling, and running to become faster,
      more efficient, and less likely to be injured," says Dallam.
      Championship Triathlon Training offers advice on complex speed and endurance training, race-specific training and
      strategy, and training for strength. For more information on Championship Triathlon Training, contact Human Kinetics at 800-465-7301
      or visit
      http://www.humankinetics.com/products/showproduct.cfm?associate=880&isbn=978-0-7360-6919-9
      ABOUT THE AUTHORS
      George Dallam, PhD, is the longtime coach of Hunter Kemper, the top-ranked triathlete in the ITU World Cup during 2005 and most of
      2006. Dallam is the founding member of the National Coaching Commission of USA Triathlon, the sport's national governing body, and
      was USA Triathlon's first national team coach. In 2004 he was a finalist for the Doc Counsilman Award for the Science in Coaching
      category of the United States Olympic Committee's Coach of the Year Award. In 2005 he was USA Triathlon's Elite Coach of the Year.
      Dallam is an associate professor of exercise science and health promotion at Colorado State University at Pueblo. As a sport
      scientist, he has authored and coauthored numerous scientific papers relating to triathlon. During his career at CSU-Pueblo, he has
      received each of the university-wide awards for teaching, scholarship, and service, becoming the only faculty member in the history
      of the institution to receive all three awards.
      During his triathlon coaching career, Dallam has served as a personal coach to several elite triathletes, including Amanda Stevens,
      Marcel Vifian, Callahan Hatfield, Michael Smedley, and Ryan BickerstaffAt the Olympic Training Center, he served as resident and
      collegiate programs coach for Olympians Nick Radkewich and Susan Williams as well as perennial international stars Laura Reback,
      Becky Lavelle, and Doug Friman. Before focusing on triathlon, he coached at various levels in swimming, water polo, and cross
      country.
      Steven Jonas, MD, MPH, MS, FNYAS, has been a regular columnist and contributor to The East Coast Triathlete, Triathlon Today,
      Triathlon Times, and American TRI. Since 2006, he has written a column titled "Ordinary Mortals: Talking Triathlon with Steve Jonas"
      for USA Triathlon Life. He is the author of Triathloning for Ordinary Mortals and The Essential Triathlete. He also serves as editor
      in chief of American Medical Athletic Association Journal and has been a member of the editorial board of ACSM's Health & Fitness
      Journal since 1999.
      Jonas is a professor of preventive medicine in the School of Medicine at Stony Brook University in New York. As author, coauthor,
      editor, and coeditor, he has published more than 25 books and 135 academic papers on health policy, health promotion, disease
      prevention, and fitness and exercise.
      The year 2007 marked Jonas' 25th season as a recreational triathlete. He has competed in more than 185 multisport races, including
      115 triathlons, at distances up to the Ironman. He is also a certified professional ski instructor.
      CONTENTS
      Chapter 1 Essential Training Elements and Guidelines
      Chapter 2 Training the Mind
      Chapter 3 Assessing and Improving Technique
      Chapter 4 Training for Strength and Muscular Balance
      Chapter 5 Complex Speed and Endurance Training
      Chapter 6 Race-Specific Training and Strategy
      Chapter 7 Creating a Long-Term Training Program
      Chapter 8 Race-Specific Training Programs
      Chapter 9 Health and Fueling Strategies for Optimal Performance
      Buy the book from Human Kinetics at:
      http://www.humankinetics.com/products/showproduct.cfm?associate=880&isbn=978-0-7360-6919-9

      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html and http://www.runnersweb.com/running/amazon.html

      THIS WEEK'S FEATURES:

      1. VO2max Newsletter:
      By Dr. Jason Karp
      * The Runner's Heart
      The amount of blood the heart pumps with each contraction of its left ventricle (the heart?s largest chamber that is responsible for
      sending blood to every part of your body except the lungs) is called the stroke volume. Multiply the stroke volume by your heart
      rate, and you get the amount of blood pumped by your heart each minute, called the cardiac output. The larger your left ventricle,
      the more blood it can hold; the more blood it can hold, the more blood it can pump.
      Interest in the cardiovascular adaptations to endurance training have been of interest to scientists and health professionals since
      at least the time of the documented enlarged heart of distance runner Clarence DeMar, who won the Boston Marathon seven times
      between 1911 and 1930. So characteristic is a large heart of genetically gifted and highly trained runners that it is considered a
      physiological condition by the scientific and medical communities called Athlete's Heart. While you may never attain the heart size
      and associated cardiac output of elite runners like Clarence DeMar, specific training can make your heart larger and increase your
      stroke volume and cardiac output.
      Long intervals provide the heaviest load on the cardiovascular system because of the repeated attainment of the heart's maximum
      stroke volume and cardiac output (and your VO2max). Evolutionary biologists believe that the structure of an organism evolves to
      cope with the stresses to which it is subjected, which has led to the theory of symmorphosis--that an organism's structural design
      is regulated by its functional demand. Remarkably, structural changes can also occur in the short term in response to training:
      bones increase their density, muscle fibers increase their metabolic machinery, and cardiac muscle grows larger. In response to the
      imposed threat of running at your heart's maximum ability to pump blood, your heart responds by increasing its contractility
      (pumping velocity and strength) and by enlarging its most important chamber so that more blood and oxygen can be sent to the working
      skeletal muscles. The larger left ventricle is called left ventricular hypertrophy, and is diagnosed from an electrocardiogram and
      an echocardiogram.
      So, how fast should you run to induce left ventricular hypertrophy? The best stimulus is the speed that corresponds to your maximum
      cardiac output (maximum heart rate times maximum stroke volume) which, along with the maximum difference in oxygen content between
      arterial and venous blood, determines your VO2max. Therefore, run at the velocity at which VO2max is achieved (vVO2max). In lieu
      of a laboratory test to tell you that velocity, you can use current race performances or heart rate. vVO2max is close to 1-mile
      race
      pace for recreational runners and close to 2-mile race pace (10 to 15 seconds per mile faster than 5K race pace) for highly trained
      runners. Heart rate monitors are great for this type of workout--you should be within a few beats of your maximum heart rate by the
      end of each interval. Examples of workouts are: 3 x 1,200 meters (or 4-5 minutes) at vVO2max with 3 to 4 minutes recovery; 4 x
      1,000 meters (or 3-4 minutes) at vVO2max with 2.5 to 3 minutes recovery; and 6 x 800 meters (or 3 minutes) at vVO2max with 2.5 to 3
      minutes recovery.
      * Muscle Fibers and Running Performance
      When you race, are you able to hang with your competitors during the middle stages, but get out-kicked in the last quarter- to
      half-mile, or do you have a hard time maintaining the pace during the middle stages, but can finish fast and out-kick others? Which
      type of workouts feel easier and more natural--long intervals (800-meter to mile repeats), long runs, and tempo runs, or short, fast
      intervals (200s and 400s)? Which workouts do you look forward to more--long intervals and tempo runs, or short and fast intervals?
      Your answers to these questions get at an important, often overlooked concept in running physiology?muscle fiber type. There are two
      types of runners--those who have superior speed, whose performance gets better as the race gets shorter, and those who have superior
      endurance, whose performance gets better as the race gets longer. Most runners, unless they are individually coached, follow some
      generic training program. However, those programs don't acknowledge differences in runners? muscle fiber types and their associated
      metabolic profiles. The types of fibers that make up your individual running muscles greatly influence your performance.
      Humans have three different types of muscle fibers, with gradations between them. Slow-twitch (ST) fibers are recruited for all of
      your aerobic runs, while fast-twitch B (FT-B) fibers are only recruited for short anaerobic, high-force production activities, such
      as sprinting and jumping. Fast-twitch A (FT-A) fibers, which represent a transition between the two extremes of ST and FT-B fibers,
      are recruited for prolonged anaerobic activities with a relatively high- force output, such as racing 400 meters. While distance
      runners have more ST fibers than FT fibers, there is still a disparity in the amount of ST fibers, as some runners may have 90
      percent ST and 10 percent FT fibers, while others may have 60 percent ST and 40 percent FT fibers.
      Understanding your fiber type can help you train smarter. While most runners do the same workouts to focus on a specific race, your
      training and racing should reflect your physiology. For example, if you have 90 percent ST and 10 percent FT fibers, your best race
      will likely be the marathon and your training should focus on mileage and tempo runs. If you have 60 percent ST and 40 percent FT
      fibers, your best race will likely be the 800 meters or mile, and your training should focus less on mileage and more on interval
      training. If both runners want to race a 5K or 10K, the former runner should initially do longer intervals, trying to get faster
      with training, such as 1,200-meter repeats at 5K race pace, increasing speed to 3K race pace or decreasing the recovery as training
      progresses. The latter runner should do shorter intervals, trying to hold the pace for longer with training, such as 800-meter
      repeats at 3K race pace, increasing distance to 1,200 meters or increasing the number of repeats as training progresses. Thus,
      there can be two paths to meet at the same point.
      To view past newsletters go to: http://www.runcoachjason.com/newsletter
      Copyright Jason Karp All Rights Reserved - http://www.runcoachjason.com

      2. Strength Training Injury:
      Ten Common Causes and How to Avoid Them.
      Weight training isn't a picnic or a walk in the park; it's sweaty, gut busting work that, if done correctly, has you treading the
      thin line between growth and injury. If you train intensely - the only kind of training that stimulates growth - you continually
      flirt with muscle damage. Rubbing up against the danger zone is where the muscular gains lie.
      Injury is always just ahead for the careless weight trainer. There's something inherently dangerous about pushing, tugging and
      straining against cold, hard iron with all your might. But how else are you going to stimulate those gains? Because the quickest way
      to sidetrack progress or derail a bodybuilding career is through debilitating injury, you need to be a bit clairvoyant, learning to
      avoid injuries before they happen. You can accomplish this by listening to your body's feedback and then making the appropriate
      adjustments. Here are the 10 most common causes of injury - let the bodybuilder beware.
      1. Incorrect Technique
      The most common weight training injuries are related to poor exercise technique. Incorrect technique can pull, rip or wrench a
      muscle, or tear delicate connective tissue quicker than you can strike a match. An out of control barbell or stray dumbbell can
      wreak havoc in an instant.
      Each human body has very specific biomechanical pathways. Arms and legs can only move in certain ways, particularly if you're stress
      turning or contorting while pushing a weight. Either make the rep using perfect technique or miss the weight. Learn how to miss a
      rep safely; learn how to bail out.
      2. Too Much Weight
      Using too much weight in an exercise is a high risk proposition rife with injury potential. When it's too much: if you can't control
      a weight as you lower it; if you can't contain a movement within its biomechanical boundaries; and if you have to jerk or heave a
      weight in order to lift it.
      More...from the Runner's Web at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news_2008/rw_news_20080603_TSH_Strength.html

      3. Fatigue examined:
      The mystery of Fatigue: Anticipatory Regulation and the limits to exercise performance.
      At the "centre of the physiology universe" lies the question of what limits exercise performance? Even the definition of fatigue is
      controversial, but once you get into this issue, the complexity and intricacy of the human body becomes apparent.
      We can't offer definitive answers here. As we've said often before, if anyone tells you "THE ANSWER", they're either lying, or
      ignorant, or both! We certainly don't purport to have the "key to fatigue", but we can evaluate the theories, examine the evidence
      and work towards proposing a model that will, hopefully, shed some light on the issue!
      So this is our series on Fatigue, our most epic series to date! Enjoy!
      More...from the Science of Sport at:
      http://scienceofsport.blogspot.com/2008/01/fatigue-examined.html

      4. Swallow This:
      Forget the ice and ibuprofen. The best way to recover from exercise is through your stomach.
      From the perspective of an athlete, few things top the virtuous satisfaction that comes from a hard workout. That 10-mile run, that
      1,500-meter pool sprint, that hour with the free weights. Makes you feel great, right? You’ll do it again tomorrow, for sure. But
      then it hits — the aftermath.
      Within a few hours, your muscles begin sending vicious little reminders about your impressive efforts. Delayed-onset muscle
      soreness, as it’s called, settles in roughly 12 to 24 hours after an intense bout of training, especially if it involved unfamiliar
      or extreme movements. The affected muscles become so tender and strained that the process of rising from bed the next morning
      becomes a challenge.
      Even if you haven’t arrived at this sorry state, repeated hard workouts can tax the body in insidious ways. Muscles, over the course
      of an hour or so of serious work, use up most of their stored energy. Without remediation, those muscles won’t respond as well
      during your next workout. They’ll be more prone to injury. You’ll be slower. The 70-year-old from down the street will pass you on
      the running path.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/01/sports/playmagazine/601physed.html?_r=1&ref=health&oref=login
      [Free Registration Required]

      5. The Wright Stuff:
      Treatments for cartilage issues in Masters athletes.
      Here's the third installment in my series on treatments for cartilage issues in Masters athletes. In this installment, I explore
      "microfracture." Well Masters athletes, when conservative measures do not relieve the pain and swelling of damaged knee cartilage,
      there are several techniques for cartilage repair. The important factor to remember, however, is that cartilage is inherently
      avascular (it has basically no blood supply), and blood is vital for repair of any tissue. When it comes to cartilage you are
      essentially born with what you are going to have for the rest of your life.
      More...from Masters Athlete at:
      http://www.masters-athlete.com/

      6. Deena Kastor:
      The Olympic Bronze Medalist Talks about Athens, Boston, and Beijing.
      Six weeks before she would run in the 2008 U.S. Olympic Team Trials-Women’s Marathon in Boston, Deena Kastor tuned up by winning the
      Gate River Run in Jacksonville, Florida. The USATF 15-Kilometer Championships attracted 12,008 finishers. Having won the “Gate” five
      previous times, Kastor also was inducted into the River Run’s Hall of Fame. Prior to her victory, the woman who is known comfortably
      by all runners simply as “Deena” lunched with author Hal Higdon at The Lodge & Club, where she stayed before the race in Ponte Vedra
      Beach.
      The Lodge’s dining room overlooked the Atlantic Ocean, but the pair could barely see it because of persistent rain and fog, unusual
      for early March. The next day’s weather was not much better, with gusts up to 40 mph that pummeled the slender Kastor as she crossed
      the 180-foot-high Hart Bridge over the St. Johns River in the final mile of the race. Deena’s time was 49:36, fast for the
      conditions but short of her 47:15 American record for that event. Nevertheless, Deena felt buoyed by her fitness and anticipated
      success in the Trials and even more success in the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, China, this summer, where her goal is (drum roll,
      maestro) the gold medal. “And a very reasonable goal it is,” claims Higdon, a winter resident of Ponte Vedra Beach, who conducted
      this interview for Marathon & Beyond. He and Kastor began by discussing the documentary film The Spirit of the Marathon, in which
      she is featured.
      KASTOR: I just got an e-mail from director Jon Dunham. He said that in Boston, they are going to have multiple showings all over
      town and an event at Bill Rodgers’s store on Thursday before the marathons. Jon wants to get everyone involved in The Spirit of the
      Marathon to come. Sounds pretty cool. During the next several months, they plan to show the film at most major marathons: Chicago,
      Marine Corps, New York, and Philadelphia.
      More...from Marathon and Beyond at:
      http://www.marathonandbeyond.com/choices/higdon.pdf

      7. Children and Marathoning:
      At What Distance Can We Consider it Safe?
      Children and Marathoning: How Young is Too Young by Rice and Waniewski outlines the theoretical concerns surrounding the issue of
      children and adolescents participating in marathon runs. [3] There is little evidence to support the suggested ban on youth
      participating in marathons and the manuscript offers little advice other than just say no. When I look at injury in youth sports, I
      find it difficult to single out long distance running even at the marathon level as a significant risk to long term health and well
      being compared with baseball, ice hockey, soccer, gymnastics, figure skating, and football, or the extreme sports that children and
      adolescents choose to escape adult supervision. [2] The injury incidence cited for both boys' and girls' cross country running is
      most likely due to ill advised training programs that encourage excessive summer running in the 300 to 500 mile range to prepare for
      the 5 k and 4-5 k competitions, respectively, during the high school season. In some states 11-year-old students are eligible to
      participate in varsity level high school cross country racing.
      Although cases and anecdotes do not constitute an evidence base to guarantee the safety of children who choose to run a marathon, my
      experience with young runners who have entered and completed the Twin Cities Marathon over the past 22 years has not demonstrated
      any adverse injury patterns. In the mid 80's we were faced with our first 10-year-old to enter the marathon. We were not sure how
      to proceed and a literature search provided no defensible course of action. In my role as medical director, I called the father who
      related the following story.
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=13368

      8. When to skip that massage:
      Massage, that art of laying on hands, has been around for a while and has seen some changes through the years.
      Gone is the simple back rub with some oil tossed in. Today's list of massage options is long and varied, a veritable smorgasbord of
      touchy-feely options: deep tissue, hot stone, underwater (watsu), massage for couples, massage for your energy fields (reiki) and
      even for Blackberry users.
      What's next? Remote massage? Teenage texting massage?
      Scary!
      But no matter the variation, most experts agree that massage is a good thing.
      "It increases blood flow to muscles, and that increases healing and speeds healing time," said professor Allan Platt, who teaches
      physician assistants at Emory University's School of Medicine in Atlanta, Georgia. "It's also good for obtaining the relaxation
      affect for the entire body, which lowers blood pressure, lowers the heart rate and decreases stress, which is all good." Health for
      Her: More on when massage isn't a good idea »
      But there are times when massage is not the answer. Platt gives examples:
      "If there's any damage to bones or muscles that could be manipulated out of place," massage isn't a good idea, he cautioned. "Like a
      slipped disc or things like that, where it actually may increase irritation of the nerves or the nerve roots. Those are times where
      it may be beneficial to stay away or stay away from that area."
      More...from CNN at:
      http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/05/30/hfh.no.massage/index.html

      9. Rethink that sports drink;
      Sugar water or nutritional supplement?
      Deep Down Body Thirst
      Summer's almost here, and that means heat, and with heat comes sweat -- and often lots of it. For many, this means chugging back a
      few glasses of water to stay hydrated, but for some people, it means turning to a sports drink like Gatorade or Powerade.
      When working with a sports team, especially if the athletes are younger, I am often asked by parents whether their son or daughter
      needs a sports drink. Similarly, my active adult clients are often curious to know whether they should be drinking Gatorade at the
      gym, on the golf course or if they're training for a 5 km race or a marathon. I find that the perception of sports drinks is all
      over the map; some see them as essential for an athlete to optimize their performance, while others -- especially in our
      increasingly carbphobic society -- see sports drinks as just another way for clever marketers to sell us brightly coloured, but
      nutritionally barren sugar water. Are these people doing the right thing for their bodies, or are they being duped by good
      advertising?
      More...from the Ottawa Citizen at:
      http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/health/story.html?id=20954adf-42f2-42c6-bdc9-3ec060fe6d83

      10. Caffeine and Endurance:
      Reviewed by Patricia Rosen. M.D.
      Introduction Coffee was first discovered over 1000 years ago although it has been around and used by humans since the Stone Age.
      People noted the affects on animals and used it by chewing on seed, bark or leaves of certain plants to gain the effects of elevated
      mood and decreased fatigue. It is thought to be the most widely used psychostimulant in the world. Sources estimate 120,000 tons of
      caffeine is consumed annually. 90% of adults in North America consume some caffeine daily. Just witness the explosion of coffee
      vendors on every street corner and the waiting lines at your local Starbucks.
      Caffeine was discovered by a German chemist, Friedrich Ferdinand Runge, in 1819. Caffeine is also called guaranine which is found in
      guarana, mateine when found in mate and theine when found in tea but all of these are synonyms for the same compound,
      trimethylxanthine.
      It is found in many plants and acts as a natural pesticide that paralyzes and kills certain insects feeding on the plants. Note that
      in many natural sources of caffeine other compounds are present that have other effects such as theophylline and theobromine. In
      humans, caffeine is used as a central nervous system stimulant and is most often obtained from coffee.
      More...from First Endurance at:
      http://blog.firstendurance.com/2008/05/caffeine-and-endurance/

      11. 5 Tips for Open Water Swimming:
      By Lance Watson
      As summer approaches and the lakes, rivers and oceans warm up, getting in the open water to re-familiarize yourself with sighting,
      drafting and cornering buoys becomes an integral part of swim training. Practicing specific open water race skills will not only
      make you a stronger swimmer, it will allow you to relax during the swim and be able to exit the water further up and be fresher for
      the bike and run.
      The swim portion of a triathlon can be broken down in to 5 specific skills to be developed. Think of these as tips, but also as
      different kinds of workouts for separate open water swimming occasions:
      ~ Work on your start in different environments;
      ~ Develop the ability to find your rhythm after the start;
      ~ Train your aptitude to draft and sight without loosing energy;
      ~ Swim in close quarters and corner buoys efficiently;
      ~ Practice finishing a swim hard and exiting the water fast.
      More...from LifeSport at:
      http://www.lifesport.ca/newsletter/OpenWaterSwimmingTips.htm

      12. Marathoning and Skin Cancers:
      Science says there is no clear link between marathoning and skin cancer (especially the really bad ones).
      An Austrian study that made worldwide headlines last week suggesting a link between marathon running and skin cancers, possibly
      including the dangerous malignant melanoma (MM), turns out to be somewhat less worrisome than many news reports indicated. Of
      course, sun exposure is a known cause of skin cancers, and runners do go out in the sun (in skimpy clothing), so they should be
      careful. But the research study uncovered no melanomas among either the 210 marathoners or the 210 control group members, and never
      attempted to measure skin cancer incidence. "On clinical examination, no skin lesions suggestive of MM were diagnosed in either
      group," wrote the authors, a group of running aficionadoes and marathoners/triathletes from the University of Graz in Graz, Austria.

      The endpoint of the study was the number of subjects from both groups who had sun/liver spots or atypical moles, both possible
      precursors to MM. In addition, the researchers noted the number of subjects given "referrals" to skin cancer specialists for
      possible removal liver spots and atypical moles. Because of medical privacy laws in Austria, it's impossible to tell how many of
      these subjects actually had non-melanoma skin cancers (NMSC).
      However, the marathoners clearly had more liver spots and atypical moles, and received more referrals, than the control subjects. Of
      particular interest to runners, all three findings were associated with increased levels of training. In other words, those who
      trained the most (over 44 miles a week) had more liver spots, atypical moles, and referrals than those who trained less. Presumably,
      the more you train, the more time you spend in the sun. Here's the data on miles/week of training and incidence of atypical moles,
      liver spots, and "referrals."
      More...from Runner's World at:
      http://tinyurl.com/5m52oa

      13. Seeking to Sponsor Socially Responsible Athletes:
      Youcode.com is a new website that allows its members to connect with people whom they have seen out in public such as others who are
      participating in the same athletic event. Users can enter an event on their profile and then connect with others who are
      participating in the same event to set up training sessions, social events, share travel tips, etc…
      To get the word out about our service, we are currently seeking to sponsor small events and individuals who are participating in
      athletic events that have a fundraising component. We've chosen to take a more personal approach to our sponsorships. Currently,
      we are sponsoring 20 riders on the AIDS Lifecycle ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles. One of our corporate guiding principles
      is to provide a service that promotes social responsibility. Check out the Community link on www.youcode.com to learn more.
      We are seeking individuals who are passionate about a cause and are raising funds as part of a particular athletic event.
      Youcode.com will make a donation towards an individual or team’s fundraising goal in exchange for using our “Event” feature and
      creating some “buzz” about our service. Ideally, the person we support will be able to encourage other participants to join
      Youcode.com, which in turn, will make a donation towards their fundraising goal.
      If you are raising funds for an event or are organizing a small event in your community and think Youcode.com can help, please send
      an email to contactus@... to get more details. Thanks.

      14. The Top Three Marathon Workouts:
      By Jason Karp, M.S.
      Whether you are a lawyer, a soccer mom or dad, or a professional runner, we all want to make the best use of our training time.
      Although it may take around 100 miles of running per week to reach your full potential as a marathoner, you probably lack the time
      or the inclination to run that much. So, how can you make your workouts more efficient and obtain the greatest benefit in the least
      amount of time?
      If you only have time for a few runs per week, five or six miles at an intensity easy enough to let you sing along with your iPod
      isn't going to cut it. The fewer workouts you do, the greater the importance of each workout. Below are the most effective workouts
      for improving your marathon performance.
      Long Runs
      What: The staple of marathon training, long runs are significantly longer than any of your other daily runs. Since your body has a
      much better concept of time than of distance, the amount of time spent on your feet is more important than the number of miles you
      cover.
      Why: It has been known since the 1960s that the ability to perform prolonged endurance exercise is strongly influenced by the amount
      of carbohydrates stored in skeletal muscles (glycogen), with fatigue coinciding with glycogen depletion. To the marathoner's
      benefit, the human body responds rather elegantly to situations that threaten or deplete its supply of fuel. When glycogen is
      depleted by running, muscles respond by synthesizing and storing more than what was previously present. Empty a full glass, and you
      get a refilled larger glass in its place. The more glycogen you have packed into your muscles, the greater your ability to hold your
      marathon pace to the finish.
      More...from the Washington Running Report at:
      http://www.runwashington.com/features/trainmara07.html

      15. This Week in Running:
      10 Years Ago- The Prefontaine Classic (OR/USA) 5000m saw a 1-2-3 sweep by the Kenyan men, led by
      Luke Kipkosgei in 13:07.83. Julius Gitahi and Simon Maina were next in 13:08.32 and
      13:10.71 while American's Robert Kennedy (13:21.38) and Alan Culpepper (13:29.69)
      were 4th and 5th. Thirty-nine year old Mary Slaney (USA) won the women's 5000m in
      15:23.72, more than 20 seconds ahead of Nnenna Lynch (USA) at 15:47.40 and Kristin
      Ihle (USA) at 15:48.64.
      20 Years Ago- Bruce Fordyce (RSA) won the Comrades (RSA) 87.5K in 5:27:42 (up year) while Frith
      vanderMerwe (RSA) won the women's race in 6:32:56. VanderMerwe would set the still standing
      (downhill) record the following year with a 5:54:43.
      30 Years Ago- Alan Robb (RSA) won the Comrades (RSA) 90K in 5:29:14 (down year) while Lettie vanZyl
      (RSA) won for the third straight time with a 8:25:xx.
      40 Years Ago- George Young (USA) beat Ron Clarke (AUS) over 2 miles (track) at San Diego CA/USA,
      8:22.0 to 8:22.6. Pat Traynor (USA) was 3rd in 8:32.6 and Kerry Pearce (AUS) was 4th
      in 8:35.6.
      50 Years Ago- Nothing of note in the ARRS database.
      60 Years Ago- Emil Zatopek (CZE) won a 10,000m in Budpest HUN with a 30:28.4.
      From The Analytical Distance Runner, the newsletter for the Association of Road Racing Statisticians with a
      focus on races, 3000m and longer, including road, track, and cross-country events.

      16. The Coaching Files: Everything You Need to Know About Power To Weight Ratio:
      By Chris Carmichael
      To reach the top of Cheyenne Canyon in Colorado Springs in 20 minutes, you have to have a power-to-weight ratio (PWR) of 4 watts per
      kilogram. When he was with Discovery Channel Tom Danielson set the record on this climb during a 2006 visit to Carmichael Training
      Systems, stopping the clock at 13:34 (6.7 watts/kg). PWR is the great leveler; it’s the measure that allows us to compare the
      strengths of cyclists side-by-side, even when the riders vary greatly in size. Take for instance, two of my coaches, Craig Griffin
      and Lindsay Hyman, who made a deal to see who could be first to break 20 minutes up the 5-kilometer, 1200-vertical feet ascent. The
      winner got coffee for a month. Griffin is 5-foot-10 and weighed 76 kg and Lindsay is 5-foot-3 and weighed 55 kg, four weeks before
      their final showdown, they were both sitting within .25 watts/kg of reaching their shared target.
      There’s far more than free coffee riding on the PWRs of the world’s top riders – it can translate to minutes gained and lost on the
      steep slopes of the Alps, Pyrenees, and Dolomites. The Holy Grail is a maximum sustainable power of 6.8 watts/kg for 30 minutes –
      the power to weight ratio necessary for winning the Tour de France. And as more and more cyclists buy power meters, questions and
      confusion abound about this crucial measure of performance.
      How do I determine my PWR?
      First of all, power to weight ratio isn’t a static number, but rather a number that corresponds with a specific time. For instance,
      6.8 watts/kg for 30 minutes. For 60 minutes that same rider would average lower, like 6.4 watts/kg; and average higher, maybe 7.0
      watts/kg, for 15 minutes. Following a good warmup, a 20- or 30-minute time trial effort is a good test for most amateur cyclists
      because they can maintain both consistent power and focus for the entire time. Determining weight is much easier; just divide your
      weight in pounds by 2.2 to convert to kilograms. Then divide your weight into the average power from your time trial. Example:
      Griffin weighed 76 kg and his 20-minute time trial power was 275 watts, so his PWR for 20 minutes was 3.6 watts/kg (Lindsay’s sat at
      3.8 watts/kg. Craig had some work to do).
      More...from CTS at:
      http://www.trainright.com/articles.asp?uid=3431

      17. Muscle Cramps:
      This is the time of year when I get a lot of email from athletes describing how they just did their first races of the season and
      were going great until a cramp came on. Should they eat more bananas, is the most common question.
      That cramps are more common in the first races of the year and not in the late season probably tells us something. No matter how
      hard you've been training this spring the workouts are not as hard as the races are. The body simply isn't in race shape yet. By the
      end of the season the body has adapted to the stresses of racing and is less inclined to cramping.
      But for a few athletes the problem continues throughout the year. There is no more perplexing problem for these athletes than their
      susceptibility to cramping. Muscles seem to knot up at the worst possible times during their important and hard-fought competitions.
      The real problem is that no one really knows what causes them. There are just theories. The most popular ones are that muscle cramps
      result from dehydration or electrolyte imbalances. These arguments seem to make sense—at least on the surface. Cramps are most
      common in the heat when low body-fluid levels and the possible decrease in body salts are likely to occur.
      But the research doesn’t always support these explanations. For example, in the mid-1980s 82 male runners were tested before and
      after a marathon for certain blood parameters considered likely causes of muscle cramps. Fifteen of the runners experienced cramps
      after 18 miles of the race. There was no difference, either before or after the race, in terms of blood levels of sodium, potassium,
      bicarbonate, hemoglobin or hematocrit. There were also no differences in blood volume between the crampers and the non-crampers. Nor
      were there any significant differences in the way the two groups trained.
      More...from Joe Friel's Blog at:
      http://www2.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2008/05/muscle-cramps.html

      18. Real Thought for Food for Long Workouts:
      How much truth is there to the myth that athletes should have a protein and carbohydrates mix within a certain time frame after
      workouts or else they risk slowing their recovery?
      DR. MARK TARNOPOLSKY, a muscle physiology researcher at McMaster University in Canada and a physician, knows all about the
      exhortations by supplement makers and many nutritionists on what to eat and when to eat it for optimal performance.
      The idea is that you are supposed to consume carbohydrates and proteins in a magical four-to-one ratio during endurance events like
      a long run or bike ride, and right after. The belief is that such nutritional diligence will improve your performance and speed your
      recovery.
      Dr. Tarnopolsky, a 45-year-old trail runner and adventure racer, might be expected to seize upon the nutritional advice. (He won the
      Ontario trail running series in 2004, 2005 and 2006.)
      So might his colleague, Stuart Phillips, a 41-year-old associate professor of kinesiology at McMaster who played rugby for Canada’s
      national team and now plays it for fun. He also runs, lifts weights and studies nutrition and performance.
      In fact, neither researcher regularly uses energy drinks or energy bars. They just drink water, and eat real food. Dr. Tarnopolsky
      drinks fruit juice; Dr. Phillips eats fruit. And neither one feels a need to ingest a special combination of protein and
      carbohydrates within a short window of time, a few hours after exercising.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/05/health/nutrition/05Best.html?ref=health

      19. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health e-Zine:
      * New Theory on Recovery from Workouts
      The soreness that you feel 8 to 24 hours after an intense workout is caused by a tearing of the muscle fibers. The fastest way to
      get muscles to heal is to have your body produce lots of insulin and also provide a supply of protein to repair the damaged tissue.
      We have known for a long time that insulin drives sugar into cells for energy. Now we know that it also drives protein building
      blocks called amino acids into the muscle cells to help them heal faster. A study from New Zealand shows that protein loading
      immediately after exercise helps cyclists recover faster so they can ride harder for several days after an intense workout
      (Physiologie Appliquée, Nutrition et Métabolisme, February 2008).
      On the surface of muscle cell membranes are little hooks called insulin receptors. Before insulin can do its job of driving sugar
      and protein into cells, it must first attach to these receptors. Hard exercise markedly increases insulin's ability to attach to
      insulin receptors and therefore makes insulin more effective. However, this increased response of insulin to exercise lasts only
      during exercise and for perhaps half an hour after exercise. An hour after you finish exercising, you have lost this added
      sensitivity of insulin receptors to insulin. So to help muscles recover faster, you need to take a carbohydrate source during a
      hard workout and immediately after you finish. Any source of carbohydrates will be broken down into simple sugars that call out
      insulin. Then, as soon as possible after your workout, you should eat any source of protein to supply the amino acids needed to
      heal damaged muscle tissue.
      Entrepreneurs will probably use this information to promote various protein drinks and supplements, but you will get the same
      results with any sugared drink and any food or drink that contains protein. Soda and cheese or your favorite sports drink and
      shrimp or nuts will work just fine.
      * Synvisc Injections Eqal Cortisone For Knee Pain
      A study presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons showed that Synvisc injections are as
      effective as steroid (cortisone) injections in controlling the pain of damaged cartilage in the knee. Synvisc costs around $5000,
      compared to five dollars for steroids.
      Synvisc (the brand name for hylan) is a gel that is injected three times into the knee to serve as a padding to cushion broken
      cartilage. The benefits of gel last only up to about six months. Cortisone injections reduce swelling and pain, but weaken the
      cartilage, so most doctors do not give these injections more than three times into the same joint during a lifetime.
      If only a small piece of cartilage is damaged, cartilage replacement may be recommended. However, when a lot of cartilage is damaged
      the only effective treatment is a knee replacement. Most doctors do not recommend this until almost all of the cartilage is gone and
      knee pain is so severe that it disrupts a person's life.
      American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, 2003
      * Dear Dr. Mirkin: What is the best temperature for exercising?
      For comfort, the ideal temperature during exercise is 60 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Below that, you feel cold. Above that, you need
      to keep your body temperature from rising too high. A problem with exercise is that almost 80 percent of the energy used to power
      muscles is lost as heat. Less than 22 percent drives muscles. So the body has to work very hard to prevent your temperature from
      rising too high. Of course, this is not a problem in cold weather. However, when the temperature rises above 80 degrees, the body
      loses tremendous amounts of salt and water in an effort to keep body temperature from rising too high. The ideal temperature for
      competition is 55 to 60. When it is warmer than that, you need to pay attention to the signs of overheating and replace salt and
      water throughout a long competition.
      From Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine at:
      http://www.drmirkin.com

      20.Digest Briefs:
      * Quick Tip
      By Robert Kunz MS, First Endurance ( www.FirstEndurance.com)
      For best results, use Optygen/OptygenHP during all intense training. Optygen/OptygenHP will allow you to train at a higher level by
      improving the body’s ability to adapt to physical stress, increasing aerobic threshold and reducing lactic acid. These improvements
      will help you race at a higher level. For best results, Optygen/OptygenHP should be used consistently for many months. IF you start
      taking Optygen a week before a race, benefits will be minimal.
      * Warming Up on Race Day, by Adam Johnston, The Endurance Lab (www.EnduranceLab.ca)
      Do you warm up before your triathlons? Duathlons? Run races? For optimal performance on race day, a proper warm up is an essential
      part of your race day plan.
      Examine for a moment what you do in training. How long does your typical Masters swim warm up last? At least ten minutes, if not
      longer. How about when you are getting ready to time trial on the bike with the local bike group? Your warm up is likely a half hour
      or more of easier riding. And when you head to the track to run repeat kilometers, you are likely jogging or running easy for ten to
      twenty minutes beforehand.
      As well as we warm up in training, so very many of us neglect a proper warm up on race day. Imagine hopping into the pool and
      starting your main set without a warm up. Imagine jumping right into a time trial on the bike with no warm up! It is an absolute
      shock to your system, and should be (and can be) prevented <br/><br/>(Message over 64 KB, truncated)