Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest - May 2, 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2008
      those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out
      our daily news, features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more. General questions should be posted to one of our forums available
      from our FrontPage.

      SUPPORT OUR ADVERTISERS:
      All of the revenue from our advertisers and affiliates goes to support clubs, athletes and clinics related to multisport and
      Canadian Olympians.

      1. Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women - Canada's Fastest Women's 5K
      November 10, 2007: Prize Money Announced for Teams
      RunnersWeb.com Inc. is pleased to announce the addition of $2,250 in prize money for the top teams for the 2008 Emilie's Run. This
      prize money is in addition to the previously announced $5,500 in individual prize money for the top open and masters runners and the
      primes for the leaders at 1 through 4K.
      The team prize money will be allocated as follows:
      1st (Open): $1,000,
      2nd: $750,
      3rd: $500
      A maximum of 5 entrants per team, top 3 to score.
      The 2008 edition of Emilie's Run will take place on Saturday, June 21st at the Aviation Museum in Ottawa with $5,500 in cash prizes
      for the top open and masters and merchandise prizes for the top teams and age-groupers.
      There will also be a 1K run for children.
      For more on the race visit the website at:
      http://www.emiliesrun.com.
      Join Emilie's Run Community and contribute at:
      http://groups-beta.google.com/group/emiliesrun?hl=en
      January 4, 2008: Goodlife Fitness has come on board as a sponsor of Emilie's Run
      GoodLife Fitness - Coed or Women's Only
      Visit www.GoodLifeFitness.com today to receive 3 FREE Visits!
      Your 3 FREE visits include:
      . A Visual Fitness Planner Consultation
      . Fit Fix Orientation to learn how to exercise safely and effectively
      . Access to all cardio and strength-training equipment
      . Access to all of our world-class Group EXercise classes
      . A copy of Living the Good Life audio CD
      Get started today! Visit www.GoodLifeFitness.com Limited time offer.

      3. Road Runner Sports, the world's largest running store at:
      New Arrivals from Nike With Web Exclusive Apparel and More!

      4. Toronto Waterfront Marathon, 2008
      http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/

      5. Mississauga Marathon
      The 5th anniversary edition of the Mississauga Marathon will be run on May 11, 2008 with the 10K the evening before on May 10th.
      Register before February 6th to beat the price increase.
      For more visit the race site at:
      http://www.mississaugamarathon.com

      6. Training Peaks
      Training Peaks, LLC is dedicated to the endurance athlete and coach. With our industry leading software products, we're committed to
      help you monitor, analyze and plan your training. We encourage you to draw on our passion for excellence to help you reach your
      athletic dreams. Trusted by thousands. Dedicated to you.
      http://www.trainingpeaks.com/

      7. Running Free
      Running Free is a complete online running store with everything for the casual to serious runner.
      They also have retail stores in the GTA (Toronto) and Markham.
      Check them out at:
      http://www.runningfree.com

      8. January 4, 2008: Goodlife Fitness has come on board as a sponsor of Emilie's Run
      GoodLife Fitness - Coed or Women's Only
      Visit www.GoodLifeFitness.com today to receive 3 FREE Visits!
      Your 3 FREE visits include:
      . A Visual Fitness Planner Consultation
      . Fit Fix Orientation to learn how to exercise safely and effectively
      . Access to all cardio and strength-training equipment
      . Access to all of our world-class Group EXercise classes
      . A copy of Living the Good Life audio CD
      Get started today! Visit www.GoodLifeFitness.com Limited time offer.

      9. Watch over 50 IAAF Events Live and On-Demand.
      World Championship Sports Network
      ABOUT WCSN
      World Championship Sports Network (WCSN) is the premier destination for fans of Olympic and lifestyle sports, delivering an
      immersive experience via exclusive live and on demand coverage of world class competitions, interaction with top athletes and in
      depth access to sports news and information year round.
      WCSN offers comprehensive coverage of over 60 sports disciplines, through exclusive long term programming agreements across a number
      of key International Federations and National Governing Bodies. Major championship events in sports ranging from Athletics (Track &
      Field), Skiing, Swimming, Gymnastics and Cycling to Volleyball, Karate and Taekwondo are featured online at
      http://tinyurl.com/ysnvnh and on television via WCSN's weekly syndicated television program, World Championship Sports, available in
      more than 45 million US households. WCSN also markets Olympic sports in partnership with International Federations, National
      Governing Bodies, local organizations, clubs, sponsors, and through related websites and publications.
      WCSN is dedicated to providing year round, in depth coverage of these important and exciting sports to reach millions of fans around
      the world for whom they represent a way of life. WCSN is committed to expanding the audience by delivering programming that
      exemplifies the best of the human spirit. WCSN enables fans to interact with world class champions as well as get to know the up and
      coming athletes through blogs, interviews and their broadcast commentary.
      Consistent with the world class caliber of the sports it celebrates, WCSN delivers high quality production values, leveraging
      state-of-the-art-technology and next generation distribution platforms to provide an immersive, interactive experience available
      anytime, anywhere.
      Visit WCSN at:
      http://tinyurl.com/ysnvnh

      10. Canadian Running Magazine:
      Subscribe at:

      11. BeatRunning Music for runners:
      Music to start running, for experienced runners and for interval training.
      Check it out at:
      http://www.beatrunning.com

      12. Mi-Sport - The Ultimate Sports MP3 Player
      Introducing the world's first and only waterproof and wireless sports mp3 player. These Mi-SPORT mp3 headphones have a 1GB memory
      built into a cool neckband design. At last no wire tangle and no earbuds to fall out. The patented design makes this
      waterproof/sweatproof mp3 player great for running, cycling and gym work. The player however is more than splash proof! It can be
      completely submerged with no harm to it making it perfect for swimming, kayaking, and water skiing. Now incorporating the latest 3D
      music quality with it's adapted waterproof speaker. Relax to music in the bath, or push out that training session with no fear of
      losing your player or tangling the wires. Circuit training is so much easier with your own music. Enjoy the waves wire-free.
      This is the only waterproof pair of classic headphones with a built in mp3 player in the world. The stylish looking headphones play
      the usual MP3, WMA and WAV formats and are compatible with Windows98/98SE/2000/XP and Apple MAC. Depending on track length, the
      headphones hold well over 14 hours worth of music and the rechargeable battery life is about 8 hours.
      Nick Matthew, the 2006 British Open squash champion now uses the player to train with and Mi-SPORT are endeavouring to encourage
      more athletes to enjoy the benefits of training to wire-free music, podcasts or coaching aids.
      Inspiration and freedom at last, for athletes and exercise enthusiasts everywhere.
      Check it out at:
      http://www.mi-sportmp3.com/

      ASSOCIATIONS:
      The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional Organization for the Running Industry.

      Check the "New Subscribers' note at the bottom of the newsletter

      Webmasters:
      Get our Syndicated headlines for your site.
      Add the Runner's Web News feed to your site through a simple JavaScript.
      Check out OnTri.com's implementation at:
      http://www.ontri.com/runnersweb.html
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is now available through an RSS feed for myYahoo at:

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet Explorer from the link on our FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com . We have added a button for Lauren Groves, Triathlete.

      If anyone is looking for a web mail provider, you might wish to consider Google's GMail. You can now sign up for free Gmail at
      Google WITHOUT AN INVITATION at:
      www.gmail.com

      Race Directors:
      Advertise your event on the Runner's Web.

      Watch the on-demand webcast of the Boston Marathon FREE on WCSN.
      Sign up at:
      http://www.wcsn.com/sport/index.jsp?id=34003&affiliateID=hptRunWebLNAV1A021208&partnerId=hptRunWebLNAV1A021208

      Nike:
      Get 20% off Purchases Over $100!
      Offer: Get 20% off purchases over $100 when you enter MAYSALE2 at checkout. Restrictions apply
      Code: MAYSALE2 (Case Sensitive)
      Expiration: 5/14/08
      Restrictions: Customer must login and enter promo code (in all caps) at checkout. Limit one per person, per transaction. Not
      transferable and not redeemable for cash, credit, or towards previous purchases. Redeemable only online or via telephone and cannot
      be combined with other promotion codes. For 20% discount to apply the minimum merchandise total must be $100.00 before shipping,
      handling and taxes are added. Discount applies to purchase price only, and does not include select merchandise including launch
      products, Jordan, Golf, Gift Cards, NIKEiD, Members Only Store, Nike + iPod Sport Kit, Nike Sportband, Apple products, and Gift
      Cards. Shipping charges calculated after discount. Offer expires May 11, 2008 at 11:59 p.m. PST at NikeStore.com. Void where
      prohibited. Apple and iPod are trademarks of Apple, Inc.
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000023073634&pubid=21000000000028567
      Get Free Shipping on Premium Women's Collection!
      Customer must login and enter promo code TRAINING at checkout. Free shipping is valid for standard ground shipping only. Order
      usually arrives in 2-9 business days.
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000023073634&pubid=21000000000028567

      FASTSKIN LZR Racer
      Speedo has harnessed the expertise of NASA and a number of international research institutes to create a faster suit, the FASTSKIN
      LZR Racer.
      FASTSKIN LZR Racer Facts:
      10% less passive drag than Speedo's FASTSKIN FSII (launched 2004)
      5% less passive drag than Speedo's FASTSKIN FS-PRO® (launched 2007)
      Swimmers broke 21 World Records wearing the suit
      The popularity of this amazing new technology is making a splash, and now your customers can pre-order this product!
      FASTSKIN LZR Racer - Pre-order now!
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000024077515&pubid=21000000000028567

      New Affiliates:
      Foot Locker:
      Footlocker Clearance Sale up to 50% of
      http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=pgaZgw/VDU4&offerid=101680.10000103&type=3&subid=0

      FRS Healthy Energy Drink: A new kind of Healthy Energy Drink that provides sustained energy without the Crash. Using a unique
      patented formula powered by Quercetin, a potent antioxidant found in fruits and vegetables. A breakthrough antioxidant energy
      formula, FRS contains powerful nutrients and key vitamins to help you naturally increase energy and stay healthy. Whether you're
      dieting, starting an exercise program, or just looking for a healthy boost, FRS can help.
      About FRS and Lance Armstrong
      Lance's relationship with FRS is more than an endorsement deal, it's a partnership. After carefully reviewing the science behind the
      product and meeting our management team, Lance has joined our Board of Directors and chosen FRS to be the exclusive beverage he
      represents worldwide. FRS aligns with his lifestyle choices and what he believes in. Power your life with FRS.
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000023989281

      Under Armour Women's
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000005851699&pubid=21000000000028567

      Under Armour Men's
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000005851698&pubid=21000000000028567

      I've created a Runner's Web Group on Facebook.
      To join the Runner's Web Facebook group, if you are not a member of Facebook, you must first create a free Facebook account at
      www.facebook.com. Once you have your own space, search "Runner's Web" under "Groups". At the Runner's Web site, click "Join this
      group". Once I have approved your request to join, you'll be able to visit the site, post race photos, discuss training tips, and
      share information about running, racing and training.

      us at: mailto:webmaster@... or leave your comments in one of our Forums at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/forum.html
      or from our FrontPage.

      We have 2,333 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they
      subscribe at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RunnersWeb/join .

      * ACTIVE.COM
      RunnersWeb.com has teamed up with Active Trainer coaches to offer training programs that are a balance of aerobic, anaerobic and
      cross-training workouts. These training programs are built to get people of all levels across the finish line. From the first timer
      to the seasoned veteran you will find the right training plan for you. Good luck with your training and we will see you at the
      finish line.
      Training Log and Analysis:
      Log your daily workouts and monitor your progress along the way.
      Getting Started:
      Set a realistic goal for training. Review the list of training programs developed by Active Trainer Coaches. Select the program that
      best matches your current training schedule. If you have been inactive, select a conservative schedule to assure success and
      decrease the risk of injury. Plug in the start date or the date of your target race and go! The schedule will automatically be
      entered into your log. It is as simple as that...
      Training:
      Select the daily email to receive your training by the day or log on to your account and review the entire schedule. Use the
      interactive log to enter in valuable training information. The more information you enter in your personal log, the better. You will
      be able to use this information in the future to evaluate performance, keep track of what works and what doesn't and stay motivated
      to see just how far you've come.
      Sign up at: www.RunnersWebCoach.com OR http://training.active.com/ActiveTrainer/listing.do?listing=51

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey.
      Sheila is one of Ottawa's top multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public
      Health and works in the field of nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the University of California, San Diego. Her
      column index is available at:

      * Carmichael Training Systems
      Carmichael Training Systems was founded in 1999 by Chris Carmichael.
      From the beginning, the mission of the company has been to improve the lives of individuals we work with through the application of
      proper and effective fitness and competitive training techniques. Whether your focus is recreational, advanced, or you are a
      professional racer, the coaching methodology employed by CTS will make you a better athlete. Check the latest monthly column from
      CTS at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/cts_columns.html.
      Carmichael Training Systems at:
      http://www.trainright.com/promos.asp?code=DSBYBFCSP

      * Peak Performance Online
      Peak Performance is a subscription-only newsletter for athletes, featuring the latest research from the sports science world. We
      cover the whole range of sports, from running and rowing to cycling and swimming, and each issue is packed full of exclusive
      information for anyone who's serious about sport. It's published 16 times a year, including four special reports, by Electric Word
      plc. Peak Performance is not available in the shops - only our subscribers are able to access the valuable information we publish.
      Visit the PPO site at:
      Peak Performance Online:

      * Peak Running Performance
      Peak Running Is The Nation's Most Advanced Running Newsletter. Rated as the #1 Running Publication by Road Runner Sports (Worlds
      Largest Running Store) , Peak Running caters to the serious / dedicated runner. Delivering world class running advice are some of
      running's most recognizable athletes including Dr. Joe Vigil (US Olympic Coach),
      Scott Tinley (2 Time Ironman Champ) Steve Scott (3 Time Olympian) and many more. This bi-monthly newsletter has been around for over
      13 years, and in the past two it has been awarded the "Golden Shoe Award" in recognition of it's outstanding achievements.

      * Running Research News:
      RRN's free, weekly, training update provides subscribers with the most-current, practical, scientifically based information about
      training, sports nutrition, injury prevention, and injury rehabilitation. The purpose of this weekly e-zine is to improve
      subscribers' training quality and to help them train in an injury-free manner.
      Running Research News also publishes a complete, 12-page, electronic newsletter 10 times a year (one-year subscriptions are $35); to
      learn more about Running Research News, please see the Online Article Index and "About Running Research News" sections below or go
      to RRNews.com.
      Check out the article index at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RRN_index.html

      THIS WEEK'S PERSONAL POSTINGS/RELEASES:
      We will only post notes here regarding running and triathlon topics of interest to the community.
      We have NO personal postings this week.

      THIS WEEK'S DIGEST ARTICLE INDEX:

      1. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health e-Zine
      2. VO2max - The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com
      3. Raining Kenyans
      4. The Well Podcast: Cancer and Exercise
      5. Getting to racing weight for triathletes
      6. Tough job: Volunteers needed for chocolate study
      7. Hypertension: In Retreat, but Hardly Vanquished
      8. 'Tuning up' performance - music and videos as ergogenic aids
      9. Building Strength and Muscle without Illegal Substances
      10. Overweight warning: More than exercise needed
      11. Fueling the Runner: Nutrition Over the Long Haul
      Jackie's Marathon Nutrition Plan from the Trenches.
      12. Eat More Protein
      Runners skimp on this key nutrient--but you need more than you think.
      13. The Coaching Files: Drink To Your Health… And Performance
      14. This Week in Running
      15. An Hour Before the Start By Valery Borzov
      16. Blisters - A rite of spring?
      17. Train Hard, Win Easy. The Kenyan Way
      18. Fast-Food Liver Damage Can Be Reversed, Experts Say
      19. Plantar Fasciitis – the most common cause of heel pain

      "Do you support the setting aside of race entries for charity organizations at the expense of serious runners?"

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage ( http://www.runnersweb.com) as well as checking the results of previous polls.

      LAST WEEK'S POLL RESULTS:
      "Did you watch the Boston Marathon?"
      Answers Percent
      1. In person 8%
      2. On TV 12%
      3. On WCSN (webcast) 40%
      4. No, I ran it 8%
      5. No 32%

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE MONTH: Ironman.com.
      Ironman Announces New Look To Web Site
      Visitors to www.Ironman.com will enjoy a new experience as they log on to the event-based brand’s official Web site. The site has
      an enhanced look and feel that offers more photos and video, along with an easier interface for visitors to access information.
      “Our new site provides users with better navigability, therefore making it more user-friendly and accessible,” says
      Ironman’s Director of Interactive Media, Travis Sitzlar. “We have worked hard to design a system that will allow us to keep up with
      the ongoing growth of the sport by providing more integration with social networking and technology.” Enhancements to the
      new Ironman.com site include:
      · A new live coverage system that will provide more interactive opportunities throughout race day.
      · Easier access to Ironman’s YouTube channel via the main page, showcasing a variety of award-winning coverage and
      inspirational videos.
      · A chronological overview of races along with information relating to the event’s registration status.
      · A revamped Media Center offering access to event imagery, press materials and top contender information.
      · An updated Marketing section highlighting Ironman’s sponsors and licensees.
      · The opportunity for athletes worldwide to enroll in a daily newsletter providing them with the latest news from Ironman and
      a subscription to an improved RSS feed system, which allows visitors to stay updated on Ironman news right from their desktop.
      Ironmanlive, known as the live coverage of Ironman events around the globe, has been in existence since 1998. More than eight
      million viewers tune in annually to the site for its Online telecasts and content, including more than 1.5 million who view the
      coverage of the Ford Ironman World Championship each year from Kailua-Kona, Hawaii.

      BOOK/VIDEO OF THE MONTH: The Exercise Balance: What's Too Much, What's Too Little, and What's Just Right for You!
      by Pauline Powers (Author), Ron Thompson (Author)
      Book Description
      Healthy exercise means finding a balance between overtraining and inactivity. By using a combination of clinical studies and
      real-life examples, this book shows readers how to develop their own personal prescription for discovering that balance. Written by
      two specialists in the field of eating disorders, it details both ends of the exercise continuum, from compulsive exercisers who
      push their bodies to the limit to people with little or no physical activity in their daily lives. The authors explain the
      psychological and health issues that can result from compulsive exercise — including bone loss, fractures, amenorrhea, and unhealthy
      eating. They also cover the problems arising from inadequate exercise and provide ways that ill people can safely implement fitness
      programs. The book is not a weight-loss guide; instead, it emphasizes the importance of proper exercise, offering readers of all
      sizes, ages, and health levels practical solutions for changing their routines and finding a healthy exercise balance.
      Buy the book from Amazon at:
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0936077026/runnersweb/102-0182896-9006569?v=glance&s=books

      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html and

      1. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health e-Zine:
      * Background Before Peaking
      Injuries often occur when people start a new exercise program, change to a different sport, or return to exercise after a long
      break. In the enthusiasm to get started, it is easy to
      overstress muscles that have not been used before. That's why "background before peaking" is one of the most important principles
      of training. It takes several weeks or even months to build up strength and endurance for any new sport.
      Competitive athletes in all sports use this principle. First they spend many months in background training, working out for long
      hours, mostly at low intensity, followed by a shorter period of peak training in which they do far less work, but at a much greater
      intensity. A few months before an important race, they reduce their workload but go as fast and hard as possible two or three times
      a week.
      Start your new exercise program at very low intensity and low volume. Gradually increase your workload for several months before you
      try to run fast, lift heavy or exercise intensely. If
      you are just beginning to exercise, go at a relaxed pace until your muscles feel heavy and then stop. For the first several days or
      weeks you may be able to exercise only for a few minutes at a time. If your muscles feel sore the next day, take the day off.
      Increase the amount of time gradually until you can exercise 30 minutes a day at a relaxed pace and not feel sore. You may progress
      rapidly to the 30-minute goal, or it may take you two, four, six weeks or more. No matter how long it takes, don't get discouraged.
      Exercising too much or too hard, too soon will set you up for injuries.
      * Dear Dr. Mirkin: Would you please explain how vitamin pills could affect lifespan, as you reported in last week's issue?
      The issue of vitamin supplements is far from settled. Most doctors take multivitamins themselves and recommend them to their
      patients. However, I continue to believe that it is better to get vitamins in whole foods than in pills.
      Most vitamins are parts of enzymes that start chemical reactions in your body. Each chemical reaction produces end products that
      are changed by further chemical reactions from
      other vitamins to other products that benefit your body. When you take a vitamin that has been isolated from the hundreds of other
      substances found in foods, that enzyme causes a chemical reaction that accumulates a disproportionate amount of its end products.
      If the substance that acts as an enzyme for the next chain of chemical reactions is not available, you can accumulate end products
      that may be harmful.
      For example, people who take niacin to lower cholesterol show a marked elevation of homocysteine, a major risk factor for heart
      attacks. Homocysteine levels are raised by a deficiency of B12, folic acid and pyridoxine. When you eat your niacin in whole
      grains, all of those components are present, along with many others whose functions we may not yet understand.
      Several of you asked for a link to the study I mentioned last week; it has been added to the issue at
      http://www.drmirkin.com/public/ezine042708.html
      From Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine at: http://www.drmirkin.com

      2. VO2max - The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com
      * Fat Burning
      People often assume that low-intensity exercise is best for burning fat. During exercise at a very low intensity (e.g., walking),
      fat does account for most of the energy expenditure, while at a moderate intensity (e.g., 80% maximum heart rate or about 70-75%
      VO2max), fat accounts for only about half of the energy used. While you use both fat and carbohydrates for energy during exercise,
      these two fuels provide that energy on a sliding scale--as you increase your intensity up to your lactate threshold (the exercise
      intensity
      that demarcates the transition between exercise that is almost purely aerobic and exercise that includes a significant anaerobic
      contribution; also considered your fastest sustainable aerobic speed), the contribution from fat decreases while the contribution
      from carbohydrates increases. When you exercise at an intensity above your lactate threshold, you use only carbohydrates.
      While there is only a minimal amount of fat used when exercising just below your lactate threshold, the number of calories used per
      minute and the total number of calories expended are much greater than when exercising at a lower intensity, so the amount of fat
      used is also greater. Research has shown that the highest rate of fat use occurs when exercising at or slightly below the lactate
      threshold. What matters is the rate of energy expenditure, rather than simply the percentage of energy expenditure derived from
      fat. Since you use only carbohydrates when exercising at a high intensity, does that mean that if you run fast or take a
      high-intensity Spinning class, you won't get rid of that flabby belly? Of course not. You don't need to use fat during exercise to
      lose fat from your body.
      * Running Economy
      In 1930, David Dill and his colleagues were among the first physiologists to suggest that there are marked differences in the amount
      of oxygen different athletes use when running at the same speeds, and that these differences in "economy" of oxygen use is a major
      factor explaining differences in running performance in athletes with similar VO2max values. For example, research has shown that,
      while Kenyan runners have similar VO2max and lactate threshold values as their American/European counterparts, the Kenyans are more
      economical, possibly due to their light, non-muscular legs that interestingly resemble those of thoroughbred race horses. The
      heavier your legs, the more oxygen it costs to move them.
      Running economy is probably even more important than the lactate threshold in determining distance running performance because it
      indicates how hard you're working in relation to your maximum ability to use oxygen. For example, if two runners have a VO2max of
      70 milliliters of oxygen per kilogram of body weight per minute and a lactate threshold pace of 7 minutes per mile, but Runner A
      uses 50 and Runner B uses 60 milliliters of oxygen while running at 7:30 pace, the pace feels easier for Runner A because he is more
      economical. Therefore, Runner A can run faster before using the same amount of oxygen and feeling the same amount of fatigue as
      Runner B. I have yet to see a runner who has superior running economy who does not also have a high VO2max and lactate threshold.
      While many runners and coaches think that running economy is a reflection of running form, it is more influenced by those
      microscopic structures that influence oxygen delivery to and use by the muscles--capillaries and mitochondria, the densities of
      which are both enhanced with high mileage. Research has shown that runners who run high mileage (more than 70 miles per week) tend
      to be more economical, which leads one to believe that running high mileage improves running economy. In addition to increasing
      mitochondrial and capillary density, the greater repetition of running movements may result in better biomechanics and muscle fiber
      recruitment patterns and a synchronization of breathing and stride
      rate, which may reduce the oxygen cost of breathing. Running economy may also be improved by the weight loss that often accompanies
      high mileage, which lowers the oxygen cost. Since VO2max plateaus with about 70 to 75 miles per week, improved running economy may
      be the most significant attribute gained from running high mileage.
      However, it's hard to prove cause and effect, since it is not entirely clear whether high mileage runners become more economical by
      running more miles or are innately more economical and can therefore handle higher mileage.
      Want to learn more about running economy? In my popular CD collection, The 3 Players of Distance Running, you'll get all the info
      you could ever want on running economy as well as VO2max and lactate threshold, including specific workouts to improve your running
      performance! To order, just go to
      http://www.runcoachjason.com/merchandise or e-mail mailto:jason@....
      To view past newsletters go to: http://www.runcoachjason.com/newsletter
      Copyright Jason Karp All Rights Reserved - http://www.runcoachjason.com

      3. Raining Kenyans:
      Out of the dark and the thick vegetation they come. Spectral figures gliding silently across the damp, red earth. It is a primal,
      almost primeval scene. But then a guttural comment or a giggle betrays them. They may look like wraiths but there is little more
      substantial on earth. This is the Kenyan cross-country squad, fine-tuning for the World Championships in Turin on Sunday. When the
      weekend is over, they will almost certainly rule the world. Again. For the time being, this is 6am on the dirt paths around St
      Mark’s Teacher Training College in Kenya’s Central Highlands, about two hours’ drive north of Nairobi.
      There is no small irony in this whole procedure of bringing their elite squad to Kigari for a month before the World
      Championships. Nairobi, where most of these athletes live, is already over 1600 metres (5,500ft) above sea level, ample for the
      altitude training which has long been recognised as beneficial to any endurance event. But, as head coach Dan Muchoki tells us:
      “Nairobi is just as polluted as any big city nowadays so it’s fresher up here; also there are fewer distractions.” Paul Tergat,
      world champion for the last two years, confirms the benefits of squad training. “Running together three times a day for a month, you
      get to know the strengths and weaknesses of your team-mates, and you can work on that, so by the time of the World Championships, we
      are really strong.”
      “Up here,” is over 7,000ft high on the South-eastern slopes of Mount Kenya. After the early morning run (only 10km today) the
      squad, top finishers in the senior and junior nationals last month, then congregate for a light breakfast of boiled eggs, bread and
      jam, washed down with the milky, sugary tea which could well have originated on the surrounding plantations. There is a short break
      before they get down to the “serious” work around 10am. Since this is less than a week before Turin, the load is being eased. After
      20 minutes of jogging and stretching, Muchoki supervises a 30-minute intensive sprint session, with four groups criss-crossing
      diagonally on the college hockey field, with the now cloud-capped peak as a backdrop. After lunch, they will run another 10km,
      individually if they wish, around 4.30pm. This is already impressive, but Muchoki relates that a month earlier the “serious” session
      was probably two to three times longer. “They start off doing 220km a week and we gradually come down to around 120km. The women
      will do about 60 per cent of that load.”
      More...from Globe Runner at:
      http://www.globerunner.org/blog/?p=12

      4. The Well Podcast: Cancer and Exercise:
      Several studies have shown a link between exercise and lower cancer risk. However, the message often isn’t well received by patients
      who think it blames the victim by suggesting they wouldn’t have cancer had they just been more active.
      That’s what I learned this week when I blogged about a new study suggesting cancer patients don’t exercise any more than the rest of
      us. The finding is troubling because some studies suggest exercise improves cancer survival, signaling that cancer patients have
      much to gain from exercising after a diagnosis.
      But more than 100 readers responded to the article, and many of them complained that it was judgmental and blamed cancer patients
      for their plight. They added that exercise and calorie-counting are not priorities to a cancer survivor. I invited Leslie Bernstein,
      a noted cancer and exercise researcher from the City of Hope cancer center in Duarte, Calif., to talk about it.
      Listen to the podcast at:
      http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/25/the-well-podcast-cancer-and-exercise/

      5. Getting to racing weight for triathletes:
      Carrying a couple of extra kilograms of bodyweight a few weeks out from your first major race leaves no time to reduce the deficit
      in a healthy and performance enhancing way. The fat or obese person can probably just increase their exercise level and hey, the fat
      count will drop off. However, you are probably a different animal, training hard or at the very least above 'normal' and for the
      most part eating quite well. So how do you go about hitting your optimal weight?
      Weight (fat) loss from an athletic perspective cannot just be about nil by mouth as this will limit your performance in training,
      and anyway 95% of 'crash' diets fail in the first few weeks. Instead you must attack fat loss with an holistic approach with optimum
      nutrition and exercise intensity. We know that fat loss will only occur when energy output exceeds energy intake, regardless of the
      diet’s macro nutrient mixture (fad diets that will not work long term).
      So, why don’t the diets work?
      A prudent dietary approach to weight loss unbalances the energy equation just enough to cause change. Therefore, by reducing energy
      intake by around 500 kcal below daily energy expenditure will produce greater fat loss in relation to the energy deficit (you must
      be able to train/ recover) than a more severe energy-restricted diet. It has also been show that to crash diet the body restricts
      the amount of fat being burnt (which is after all our aim).
      So, should you just go out and train as hard as you can, eating as little as possible? It’s so much easier than that, especially for
      your first two phases of training (base I & base II).
      More...from Tri247 at:
      http://www.tri247.com/article_2936_Getting+to+racing+weight+for+triathletes.html?category=training

      6. Tough job: Volunteers needed for chocolate study
      Calling all chocoholics: British researchers recruiting volunteers willing to eat a bar of chocolate daily for a year, guilt-free
      and all in the name of science.
      The trial starting in June will explore whether compounds called flavonoids found in chocolate and other foods can reduce the risk
      of heart disease for menopausal women with type 2 diabetes, the researchers said on Monday.
      "We are looking at a high risk group first," said Aedin Cassidy, a biochemist at the University of East Anglia, who will lead the
      study. "We hope there will be an additional benefit from dietary intervention in addition to the women's drug therapy."
      Previous studies have suggested dark chocolate is rich in the beneficial compounds linked with heart health but experts note the
      high sugar and fat content of most commercially available chocolate might cancel out some of the advantages.
      A host of other research has also shown dark chocolate appears to lower blood pressure, improve the function of blood vessels and
      reduce the risk of heart attack.
      More...from Reuters at:
      http://features.us.reuters.com/wellbeing/news/L28554958.html

      7. Hypertension: In Retreat, but Hardly Vanquished :
      As with cholesterol levels, the concept of a normal blood pressure has fallen strikingly as doctors learn what it takes to preserve
      good health. Decades ago, for example, my brother, Jeff, who had high blood pressure that hovered between 160/80 and 170/90, would
      have been considered normal.
      Lacking good treatments for hypertension, no doctor was concerned when, at age 57, President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s blood pressure
      was 170/90. And so the president’s blood pressure rose inexorably over the next six years, and on April 12, 1945, at age 63 and with
      a pressure of 200/110, he died of a brain hemorrhage caused by severe hypertension.
      But in 2000, when Jeff was 54, his cardiologist knew better. Now with excellent treatments, most often used in combination, an
      elevated pressure can be lowered to normal in most people. His doctor said that, with our family’s medical history of three
      coronaries on our father’s side occurring at ages 56 and 58, something should be done to protect Jeff’s health.
      Jeff’s treatment “evolved” until he was taking a daily three-pill cocktail — Diovan HCT, a combination of a diuretic and angiotensin
      II receptor blocker; Norvasc, a calcium channel blocker; and Toprol XL, a beta blocker. He also works out on a treadmill several
      times a week, runs up and down stairs at home and at work all day, and eats a mostly heart-healthy diet, including five to 10
      servings of fruits and vegetables a day, whole grain breads, nonfat milk and no added salt.
      With his blood pressure now at 106/66, the low end of normal, my brother has thus far escaped a premature coronary death.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/22/health/22brod.html?_r=1&ref=fitnessandnutrition&oref=slogin

      8. 'Tuning up' performance - music and videos as ergogenic aids:
      Elite professional sport is now so competitive that few elite athletes can afford to ignore the psychological skills and techniques
      required to enhance mental toughness. Recent research has seen some creative approaches to developing psychological skills, such as
      listening to carefully selected music and watching personal motivational videos. Andy Lane evaluates these new techniques, explains
      how they can be assessed and suggests ways in which they can be incorporated into training
      Music as an ergogenic aid
      Music can play an important part in the preparation process for sport performance. The sight of athletes wearing headphones in
      warm-up areas before competition is commonplace, and club anthems are often played as teams come out to play. The proposed
      performance-enhancing effect of crowd noise and crowd singing is also well documented anecdotally.
      Sport psychology researchers have recently sought to move from anecdotal to scientific knowledge in this area. The development of a
      scientific evidence base for the effects of music and motivational videos requires researchers to design appropriately controlled
      studies that seek to control for a number of factors that could affect the results. The scientific base for these new ideas is
      emerging with encouraging results from initial tests.
      Cutting-edge research to investigate the effects of music on psychological states is led by my academic sparring partner and former
      Brunel University colleague, Dr Costas Karageorghis. Karageorghis suggests that music may elicit a number of psycho-physiological
      More...from Peak Performance at:
      http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/a-creative-approach-to-sports-psychology-35894

      9. Building Strength and Muscle without Illegal Substances:
      Every week the media comes out with a new story of another amateur or professional athlete using steroids. For athletes and health
      fanatics it seems they are willing to do whatever they believe is necessary to get results, and ignore the risk involved in using
      illegal substances.
      According to studies and research, using anabolic steroids merely inflates your muscles (hence the term "juiced") and does not
      provide permanent results. There are also several harmful side effects of steroid use, like diabetes, rage, aggression,
      uncontrollable mood-swings and significant changes to body systems that are not natural to the user's gender.
      Several years ago, a widely respected and still used natural supplement Endothil CR entered the market. Dr. David Summers, the
      creator of Endothil CR, says that body builders and athletes are using this product instead of steroids to build and sustain
      strength and muscle mass.
      Summers further stated, "I have spent the last two years on my newest formulation and next generation natural fitness supplement for
      men and women called Stemulite. It is a stronger formulation than Endothil and now has seven key all-natural ingredients of very
      effective and targeted natural proteins, enzymes and amino acids, including a stem cell agonist and a trace mineral called indium."
      More...from ARA Lifestyle at:
      http://aralifestyle.com/article.aspx?UserFeedGuid=95c76156-b007-4a71-82f0-e3a80f4b5a6a&ArticleId=1210&title=Building-Strength-and-Mu
      scle-without-Illegal-Subst
      [Long URL]

      10. Overweight warning: More than exercise needed
      Exercise will not cut the risk of heart disease in those who are overweight unless they also slim down, according to a study of
      thousands of U.S. women published on Monday.
      "Even high quantities of physical activity are unlikely to fully reverse the risk of coronary heart disease in overweight and obese
      women without concurrent weight loss," Dr. Amy Weinstein and colleagues at Boston's Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center reported.
      "Regardless of body weight, (the findings) highlight the importance of counseling all women to participate in increasing amounts of
      regular physical activity and maintaining a healthy weight to reduce the risk of coronary heart disease," they concluded.
      More...from Reuters at:
      http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSN2848216220080428

      11. Fueling the Runner: Nutrition Over the Long Haul:
      Jackie's Marathon Nutrition Plan from the Trenches.
      The Marathon – Just saying the name of the event may make your stomach churn. Some may think of it as a glorious long run while
      others recall it as pain provoking 26.2 miles. No matter how you feel about running a marathon, I think many will agree the more
      prepared you are, the better the race plays out.
      Preparation for a marathon can take multiple forms. There's no question, that there is a level of fitness to achieve. And in
      achieving fitness, it is very important to maintain a balance in the training progression as to arrive race day injury free. There
      are also various aspects of nutrition that factor into the preparation of the marathon. Specifically, the importance of race
      nutrition cannot be neglected.
      I recently had the privilege to run the Olympic Trials Marathon. I managed to achieve great fitness leading into the marathon.
      Unfortunately, my body broke down in trying to over compensate for an injury. My preparation fell short in terms of arriving race
      day injury free. However, I still had a marathon to conquer and knew race day nutrition could not be abandoned.
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=13317

      12. Eat More Protein:
      Runners skimp on this key nutrient--but you need more than you think.
      Go to any prerace party or postrun potluck and you'll see legions of runners twirling forks in huge plates of spaghetti. And why
      not? Carbs are king, right? Except you may be missing out on another essential running nutrient, especially if you've been following
      the government's dietary guidelines. In September, the International Society of Sports Nutrition (ISSN) released a position paper by
      nine researchers in the field of protein and exercise. Their message? People who engage in regular exercise, like runners, don't
      just need more calories than desk jockeys, they need more protein.
      "With every footstrike, a runner carries two to seven times his or her body weight," says Douglas Kalman, Ph.D., R.D., who has done
      extensive research on the effects of protein in athletes. "Protein is what keeps your body healthy under all that strain." Adequate
      protein intake accelerates muscle growth and speeds recovery by helping rebuild muscle fibers stressed during a run. Since protein
      helps muscles heal faster, runners who consume the right amount are less likely to get injured. The reverse is also true, according
      to the authors of the ISSN paper: Athletes who get insufficient amounts of protein are at a higher risk of injury.
      What's more, high-protein intake has been shown to help maintain a strong immune system. "After an intense bout of exercise, your
      immune system is weakened for about four to five hours," says Richard Kreider, Ph.D., one of the ISSN study's authors and head of
      the Exercise and Nutrition Laboratory at Baylor University. "Protein stimulates white blood cells, which helps shield against
      upper-respiratory problems." Military research studies show that Marines who ingested high amounts of protein had fewer medical
      visits than those with lower protein intake.
      More...from Runner's World at:
      http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-300--12554-0,00.html?cm_re=HP-_-Top_5_Articles-_-Eat%20More%20Protein
      [Long URL]

      13. The Coaching Files: Drink To Your Health… And Performance:
      Chris Carmichael
      Over the past several months, I’ve been asked most frequently about making the best hydration choices for specific events. The truth
      is, what you drink matters as much as how much you consume, and both of these variables change as your events or training sessions
      get longer. Hydration doesn’t begin and end with the fluids in your water bottles though; making sure you’re adequately hydrated
      prior to starting your workout improves your performance more than anything you eat or drink while on the bike. For most athletes,
      this means consuming about a gallon of fluids (128 ounces) every day, which is over a 30% increase over what sedentary individuals
      need in order to stay hydrated. This gallon of fluids (some of which you’ll get from food) doesn’t include the water and sports
      drinks you consume during your workouts, and your decisions about fluids during training depend on the intensity and duration of
      your workout.
      The Hour of Power
      Training sessions and races that last about an hour are usually very intense; indoor cycling classes offer just one example. As a
      result of the intensity, athletes tend to sweat profusely, leading to significant losses of both body fluids and electrolytes. A
      warm environment in a gym during an indoor cycling class, and/or poor air circulation, contributes to even higher sweat rates.
      Replenishing ones fluids is the most crucial goal when consuming fluids during these short, intense training sessions. Water or
      simple electrolyte replacement drinks are good choices because they are rapidly absorbed and most athletes find them more palatable
      during high-intensity exercise.
      More from CTS at:
      http://www.trainright.com/articles.asp?uid=3392

      14. This Week in Running:
      10 Years Ago- Abel Anton (ESP) won the Flora London (ENG) Marathon by ten seconds over Abdelkader
      El Mouaziz (MAR), 2:07:57 to 2:08:07. Antonio Pinto (POR) was 3rd in 2:08:13.
      Catherina McKiernan (IRL) won the women's race in 2:26:26, followed by Liz McColgan
      (SCO) in 2:26:54 and Joyce Chepchumba (KEN) in 2:27:22.
      20 Years Ago- Ravil Kashapov (RUS) won the European Cup (BEL) Marathon with a 2:11:30. Alessio
      Faustini (ITA) took the silver medal in 2:11:52 while Alain Lazare (NCL), representing
      FRA took the bronze medal in 2:12:24. Katrin Dörre (GER) won the gold medal for the
      women with a 2:28:28. Raisa Smekhnova (BLR) was the silver medalist in 2:28:40 while
      the bronze medal went to Zoya Ivanova (KAZ), both the latter representing the Soviet Union.
      30 Years Ago- Massimo Magnani won the ITA marathon championship over Paolo Accaputo, 2:16:46 to
      2:18:36. Michelangelo Arena was 3rd in 2:20:53.
      40 Years Ago- Van Nelson (USA) won both the 3 mile and 6 miles at the Drake Relays (IA/USA). His times
      were 13:17.4 for the 3 mile and 28:22 for the 6 mile.
      50 Years Ago- Osvaldo Roberto Suarez (ARG) won the South American Road Championship (URU) Half Marathon
      with a time of 1:12:38.
      From The Analytical Distance Runner, the newsletter for the Association of Road Racing Statisticians with a
      focus on races, 3000m and longer, including road, track, and cross-country events.

      15. An Hour Before the Start:
      By Valery Borzov
      This article, condensed from the original text, is from the vault of Legkaya Atletika, (1:89-9, 1979) and is the great Russian
      sprint champion’s account of his own mental preparation prior to a race. If you ask an athlete what he does and thinks about in the
      final moments before a competitive event, you may get an answer like: “My immediate preparation for
      competition is a sort of ritual. It is very personal, my own domain, and if I divulge it, it will cease to be ‘mine.’”
      I am on the warm-up track. It’s familiar. I was here just yesterday. As a rule, I meet old acquaintances - coaches, athletes,
      journalists - before the warm-up. Our talk usually focuses on distribution of effort, on definite competitors, and the length of
      spikes on running shoes. But my eyes, ears, and thoughts were afar off. I was interested in other things: how the opponents looked,
      their height and weight, how they looked on their feet, how they walked, mimicry, gestures, whom they were looking at, how they were
      talking and about what, how many minutes before the start the warm-up is begun, and how long it was before the start. If it’s cold,
      I begin an hour and 10 minutes beforehand; if warm, an hour. I start to
      warm up 40 minutes before a final if the semi-final was held an hour-and-a-half to two hours earlier. An hour is left... Just enough
      time to get the body ready, but plenty of time not to
      omit something, to make a mistake in choosing warm-up tempo, to burn out the nerves, to lose what had been built up by years of
      training.
      More...from the Canadian Athletics Coaching Centre at:
      http://www.athleticscoaching.ca/UserFiles/File/Sport%20Science/Psychology/General%20Concepts/Borsov%20An%20hour%20before%20the%20sta
      rt.pdf

      16. Blisters - A rite of spring?
      Monday, April 21, 2008. The 112th running of the Boston Marathon. Helena Carvalho was two-thirds of the way to a
      three-hour-and-49-minute finish at one of the world's premier sporting events.
      But with every graceful stride towards that finish, something nasty was brewing beneath the athletic sock on her left foot. A great
      big, bulging purple blister.
      "I could feel it starting. And then the stickiness, I thought, 'oh, it's seeping out a little bit, there's going to be a big stain
      on my sock.'"
      Despite the pain, the 44-year-old resident of Brampton, Ont., carried on and finished her second Boston Marathon in as many years.
      "I saw these signs along the [marathon route] — 'pain is temporary, glory is forever.' I thought, forget all this pain and keep
      going."
      Blisters, like the one that plagued Carvalho, are caused by friction. But you don't have to run a marathon to develop them.
      Blisters form when fluid from blood vessels leaks into the skin. The fluid — which is usually clear — collects beneath the outer
      layer of skin forming the typical raised bump.
      More...from the CBC at:
      http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2008/04/24/f-health-blisters.html

      17. Train Hard, Win Easy. The Kenyan Way:
      Watch the video at YouTube at:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dmjQfCYEtQ&feature=related

      18. Fast-Food Liver Damage Can Be Reversed, Experts Say:
      Diets high in fast food can be highly toxic to the liver and other internal organs, but that damage can be reversed, says one of the
      country’s leading experts on non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, who offers four steps to undo the effects of a 'super-size me' diet.
      It was probably enough to make many Americans lose their appetite: A recent study from Europe showed that eating too much fast food
      – a diet high in fat and sugar – could cause serious damage to your liver.
      Yet for those who overdo it with too many trips to their favorite burger joint, there’s good news. You can likely reverse the damage
      to your liver and other vital organs if you simply give up the unhealthy lifestyle, according to a leading liver specialist at Saint
      Louis University who conducted a similar study with mice.
      “There’s strong evidence now that a fast-food type of diet – high in fat and sugar, the kind of diet many Americans subsist on – can
      cause significant damage to your liver and have extremely serious consequences for your health,” says Brent Tetri, M.D., professor
      of internal medicine at the Saint Louis University Liver Center and one of the country’s leading experts on non-alcoholic fatty
      liver disease.
      More...from Science Daily at:
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/04/080430204519.htm

      19. Plantar Fasciitis – the most common cause of heel pain:
      What is Plantar Fasciitis?
      Plantar Fasciitis is the inflammation of the plantar fascia, a strong band of tissue (similar to a tendon) which stretches from the
      heel to the five toes at the bottom of the foot. This band of tissue supports the arch of the foot. The inflammation usually occurs
      as a result of repetitive trauma to the tissue where it attaches to the heel bone. As we stand and apply weight to the foot, the
      arch drops and the plantar fascia becomes taut. Plantar Fasciitis occurs when the weight applied to the foot becomes so great that
      the tension in the plantar fascia increases, causing damage as it begins to pull away from the heel bone.
      What are the causes?
      ~ Biomechanical factors such as excessive pronation (flat feet), high arches or tight Achilles tendon
      ~ Poorly cushioned shoes
      ~ Poor arch support in shoes
      ~ Repetitive pressure of the feet from activities requiring prolonged weight bearing activities such as walking or running
      ~ Rapid change in activity level
      ~ Wearing high heels
      ~ Running up hills or on toes
      What are the symptoms?
      The pain from Plantar Fasciitis can present as a dull ache or sharp pain on weight bearing.
      Post-rest pain occurs after a long period of rest, such as after walking in the morning or prolonged sitting. A sharp pain is felt
      that usually subsides after being on the affected foot for approximately ten minutes allowing the fascia has warmed up.
      More...from Tri247 at:
      http://www.tri247.com/article_2929_Physio+Corner%3A+Plantar+Fasciitis.html?category=training

      20. Digest Briefs:
      * Explainer: ACTN3
      The ACTN3 gene comes in two variants and the test developed by the Australian biotech firm Genetic Technologies distinguishes
      between them. The test is based on research published by scientists at the University of Sydney and the Australian National
      University in Canberra. In a study published in the American Journal of Human Genetics in 2003, the researchers compared the
      versions of the ACTN3 gene present in 429 elite athletes from 14 different sports (50 of whom competed in the Olympic games) with
      436 volunteers. The researchers found that elite performers were more likely to have particular combinations of the gene variants
      compared to the volunteer group.
      Genetic Technologies claims this research allows it to distinguish between sprinters and endurance athletes with a simple mouth swab
      test. It says people with one version of the ACTN3 gene are predisposed to become sprinters, while those with the other are better
      suited to endurance events. Scientists in the UK have been skeptical about such interpretations. They argue that a single research
      study is not enough to prove that the ACTN3 test can meaningfully determine athletic ability - a series of studies would be
      required.
      But researchers acknowledge the importance of genes in physical ability - they are thought to determine up to 40% of a person's
      potential. At the elite level, where even the smallest advantage can be the difference between winning and losing, the genetic
      factor is therefore critical. All else being equal, winning an Olympic gold medal would be near impossible without a
      close-to-perfect genetic contribution.
      * Perceptions: Go Ahead, Put the Water Bottle Down
      Drinking a lot of water is supposed to be healthy, but there is apparently little scientific support for the belief. A review of
      clinical studies has found no evidence that drinking eight glasses of water a day, the usual recommendation, is beneficial to a
      healthy person.
      Numerous claims have been made about water — that it prevents headaches, removes dangerous “poisons,” improves the function of
      various organs and is associated with reduced risk for various diseases. But none of these is supported by scientific evidence. The
      authors were not even able to find a study leading to the “eight glasses a day” rule, whose origin remains unknown.
      The researchers, in the June issue of The Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, say some studies have found evidence that
      drinking extra water helps the kidneys clear sodium, and long-term sodium retention might increase the risk of hypertension, but no
      clinical significance for the phenomenon has been established. Water also helps clear urea, but urea is not a toxin.
      There is “intriguing” evidence that water might help decrease appetite and control weight gain, write the authors, who say this
      might be worth more research.
      “Under normal circumstances,” said Dr. Stanley Goldfarb, a co-author and a professor of medicine at the University of Pennsylvania,
      “drinking extra water is unnecessary. I want to relieve people of the burden of schlepping water bottles around all day long.”
      From the NY Times
      * Nostrums: Study Critiques Antioxidant Supplements
      A review of 67 randomized trials of antioxidant supplements has found no evidence that they prolong life, and strong evidence that
      they might shorten it. The trials included almost a quarter-million participants, including healthy people and those with various
      diseases.
      Over all, the authors of the review paper found, antioxidant supplements had no effect on mortality. But in the strongest studies
      (19 double-blind trials with good randomization and follow-up), supplements in doses considerably larger than those in typical
      multivitamin pills appeared to increase the risk of death, by 16 percent for vitamin A, 7 percent for beta carotene, and 4 percent
      for vitamin E. It made no difference whether the groups tested were healthy or ill. Vitamin C and selenium, on the other hand, had
      no discernible effect.
      The authors state their conclusions firmly. “Beta carotene, vitamin A and vitamin E ,” they write, “given singly or combined with
      other antioxidant supplements significantly increase mortality.”
      The study, published April 16 in The Cochrane Library, also concludes that more research on vitamin C and selenium is needed. But
      the authors warn that given the risks of antioxidant supplements in general, such work must be undertaken under the direction of
      safety committees and with careful independent monitoring of data as it accumulates.
      From the NY Times

      THIS WEEK'S FEATURED EVENTS:
      *Please verify event dates with the event websites*

      May 3, 2008:
      Cumberland Duathlon - Cumberland, ON

      Disney's Go Red for Women 5K - Orlando, FL

      May 4, 2008:
      Blue Cross Broad Street Run 10 Miler - Philadelphia, PA

      CareFirst Frederick Marathon - Frederick, MD

      Disney's Women Run the World 15K - Orlando, FL

      Eugene Marathon - Eugene, OR

      Flying Pig Marathon - Cincinnati, OH

      Lilac Bloomsday Run 12K - Spokane, WA

      New Jersey Marathon - Long Branch, NJ

      Niketown 5K for Kids - Denver, CO

      Place d'Orleans Half-Marathon, 10&5K - Orleans, ON

      Potomac River Run Marathon & Half Marathon - Alexandria, VA

      Run for the Red Marathon - Pocono Mountains, Pennsylvania

      Sporting Life 10K - Toronto, ON
      Live Results - www.sportstats.ca

      St. Croix Triathlon - US Virgin Islands

      Union-Tribune Race for Literacy 8K - San Diego, CA

      May 5, 2008:
      Deep RiverRock Belfast City Marathon - Ireland

      Saturday, June 21, 2008
      Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K race for Women
      http://www.emiliesrun.com
      Over $7,000 in prize money for top individual and teams
      In 2007 45 women broke 20:00!

      mailto:webmaster@... to notify us of the problem. To update your Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the
      web.

      Runner's Web
      mailto: webmaster@...
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html
      A running and triathlon resource portal
      Runner's Web Online Store
      http://store.runnersweb.com
      RunnersWebCoach
      http://www.runnerswebcoach.com

      RUNNER'S WEB AFFILIATE PROGRAMS:
      All revenue from advertisers and affiliate programs goes into the support of running and triathlon through sponsorship of events,
      teams, clinics and fund raising programs for Canada's Olympic athletes.

      XM Satellite Radio
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000021517490

      Puma
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000005110141&pubid=21000000000028567

      Champion
      http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=h1QosBYBFXw&offerid=113858.10000144&type=1&subid=0

      Nike
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000015009821

      Free Ground Shipping on Orders of $175 or More at Patagonia.com
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000012303508&pubid=21000000000028567

      Peak Performance Online:

      Carmichael Training Systems at:
      http://www.trainright.com/promos.asp?code=DSBYBFCSP