Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest - March 7, 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2008
      those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out
      our daily news, features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more. General questions should be posted to one of our forums available
      from our FrontPage.

      SUPPORT OUR ADVERTISERS:
      All of the revenue from our advertisers and affiliates goes to support clubs, athletes and clinics related to multisport and
      Canadian Olympians.

      1. Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women - Canada's Fastest Women's 5K
      November 10, 2007: Prize Money Announced for Teams
      RunnersWeb.com Inc. is pleased to announce the addition of $2,250 in prize money for the top teams for the 2008 Emilie's Run. This
      prize money is in addition to the previously announced $5,500 in individual prize money for the top open and masters runners and the
      primes for the leaders at 1 through 4K.
      The team prize money will be allocated as follows:
      1st (Open): $1,000,
      2nd: $750,
      3rd: $500
      A maximum of 5 entrants per team, top 3 to score.
      The 2008 edition of Emilie's Run will take place on Saturday, June 21st at the Aviation Museum in Ottawa with $5,500 in cash prizes
      for the top open and masters and merchandise prizes for the top teams and age-groupers.
      There will also be a 1K run for children.
      For more on the race visit the website at:
      http://www.emiliesrun.com.
      Join Emilie's Run Community and contribute at:
      http://groups-beta.google.com/group/emiliesrun?hl=en
      January 4, 2008: Goodlife Fitness has come on board as a sponsor of Emilie's Run
      GoodLife Fitness - Coed or Women's Only
      Visit www.GoodLifeFitness.com today to receive 3 FREE Visits!
      Your 3 FREE visits include:
      . A Visual Fitness Planner Consultation
      . Fit Fix Orientation to learn how to exercise safely and effectively
      . Access to all cardio and strength-training equipment
      . Access to all of our world-class Group EXercise classes
      . A copy of Living the Good Life audio CD
      Get started today! Visit www.GoodLifeFitness.com Limited time offer.

      3. Road Runner Sports, the world's largest running store at:
      New Arrivals from Nike With Web Exclusive Apparel and More!

      4. Toronto Waterfront Marathon, 2008
      http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/

      5. Mississauga Marathon
      The 5th anniversary edition of the Mississauga Marathon will be run on May 11, 2008 with the 10K the evening before on May 10th.
      Register before February 6th to beat the price increase.
      For more visit the race site at:
      http://www.mississaugamarathon.com

      6. Training Peaks
      Training Peaks, LLC is dedicated to the endurance athlete and coach. With our industry leading software products, we're committed to
      help you monitor, analyze and plan your training. We encourage you to draw on our passion for excellence to help you reach your
      athletic dreams. Trusted by thousands. Dedicated to you.
      http://www.trainingpeaks.com/

      7. Running Free
      Running Free is a complete online running store with everything for the casual to serious runner.
      They also have retail stores in the GTA (Toronto) and Markham.
      Check them out at:
      http://www.runningfree.com

      8. January 4, 2008: Goodlife Fitness has come on board as a sponsor of Emilie's Run
      GoodLife Fitness - Coed or Women's Only
      Visit www.GoodLifeFitness.com today to receive 3 FREE Visits!
      Your 3 FREE visits include:
      . A Visual Fitness Planner Consultation
      . Fit Fix Orientation to learn how to exercise safely and effectively
      . Access to all cardio and strength-training equipment
      . Access to all of our world-class Group EXercise classes
      . A copy of Living the Good Life audio CD
      Get started today! Visit www.GoodLifeFitness.com Limited time offer.

      9. Watch over 50 IAAF Events Live and On-Demand.
      World Championship Sports Network
      ABOUT WCSN
      World Championship Sports Network (WCSN) is the premier destination for fans of Olympic and lifestyle sports, delivering an
      immersive experience via exclusive live and on demand coverage of world class competitions, interaction with top athletes and in
      depth access to sports news and information year round.
      WCSN offers comprehensive coverage of over 60 sports disciplines, through exclusive long term programming agreements across a number
      of key International Federations and National Governing Bodies. Major championship events in sports ranging from Athletics (Track &
      Field), Skiing, Swimming, Gymnastics and Cycling to Volleyball, Karate and Taekwondo are featured online at
      http://tinyurl.com/ysnvnh and on television via WCSN's weekly syndicated television program, World Championship Sports, available in
      more than 45 million US households. WCSN also markets Olympic sports in partnership with International Federations, National
      Governing Bodies, local organizations, clubs, sponsors, and through related websites and publications.
      WCSN is dedicated to providing year round, in depth coverage of these important and exciting sports to reach millions of fans around
      the world for whom they represent a way of life. WCSN is committed to expanding the audience by delivering programming that
      exemplifies the best of the human spirit. WCSN enables fans to interact with world class champions as well as get to know the up and
      coming athletes through blogs, interviews and their broadcast commentary.
      Consistent with the world class caliber of the sports it celebrates, WCSN delivers high quality production values, leveraging
      state-of-the-art-technology and next generation distribution platforms to provide an immersive, interactive experience available
      anytime, anywhere.
      Visit WCSN at:
      http://tinyurl.com/ysnvnh

      10. Canadian Running Magazine:
      Subscribe at:

      The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional Organization for the Running Industry.

      Check the "New Subscribers' note at the bottom of the newsletter

      Webmasters:
      Get our Syndicated headlines for your site.
      Add the Runner's Web News feed to your site through a simple JavaScript.
      Check out OnTri.com's implementation at:
      http://www.ontri.com/runnersweb.html
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is now available through an RSS feed for myYahoo at:

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet Explorer from the link on our FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com . We have added a button for Lauren Groves, Triathlete.

      If anyone is looking for a web mail provider, you might wish to consider Google's GMail. You can now sign up for free Gmail at
      Google WITHOUT AN INVITATION at:
      www.gmail.com

      Race Directors:
      Advertise your event on the Runner's Web.

      Road Race Management Newsletter
      Save $30 off a new 1-year subscription to Road Race Management, the must-have monthly newsletter covering the operational,
      administrative and marketing elements of the sport of long distance running. Want to learn more?
      http://www.rrm.com/rrmnewsletter/newsletter.htm
      ($82 for overseas). That is $30 off the regular price. Once you subscribe, you will receive Road Race Management Newsletter in your
      mailbox 11 times a year.

      FREE Stretching, Flexibility & Sports Injury Information!
      Get all the answers to your questions about how to use stretching for maximum performance and injury reduction with your very own 6
      part e-Course and 1 hour MP3 Audio
      presentation.
      You'll Discover how to...
      * Use simple stretching techniques effectively and safely to reduce injury.
      * Safe guard yourself against inappropriate stretches.
      * Know which type of stretching to use at what point in your recovery and rehabilitation.
      * And Much, Much, Much more...
      And the best part is; it's all entirely free!
      This special offer from The Stretching Institute won't be available forever. Don't miss out. Click on the link below to claim your
      free 6 part e-Course and 1 hour MP3 Audio
      presentation today.
      http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/cmd.php?af=245575&u=http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/newsletter.php

      Free Shipping on Orders of $100 or More from Finish Line at
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000023743250&pubid=21000000000028567

      New Affiliates:

      FRS Healthy Energy Drink: A new kind of Healthy Energy Drink that provides sustained energy without the Crash. Using a unique
      patented formula powered by Quercetin, a potent antioxidant found in fruits and vegetables. A breakthrough antioxidant energy
      formula, FRS contains powerful nutrients and key vitamins to help you naturally increase energy and stay healthy. Whether you're
      dieting, starting an exercise program, or just looking for a healthy boost, FRS can help.
      About FRS and Lance Armstrong
      Lance's relationship with FRS is more than an endorsement deal, it's a partnership. After carefully reviewing the science behind the
      product and meeting our management team, Lance has joined our Board of Directors and chosen FRS to be the exclusive beverage he
      represents worldwide. FRS aligns with his lifestyle choices and what he believes in. Power your life with FRS.
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000023989281

      Under Armour Women's
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000005851699&pubid=21000000000028567

      Under Armour Men's
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000005851698&pubid=21000000000028567

      I've created a Runner's Web Group on Facebook.
      To join the Runner's Web Facebook group, if you are not a member of Facebook, you must first create a free Facebook account at
      www.facebook.com. Once you have your own space, search "Runner's Web" under "Groups". At the Runner's Web site, click "Join this
      group". Once I have approved your request to join, you'll be able to visit the site, post race photos, discuss training tips, and
      share information about running, racing and training.

      us at: mailto:webmaster@... or leave your comments in one of our Forums at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/forum.html
      or from our FrontPage.

      We have 2,328 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they
      subscribe at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RunnersWeb/join .

      * ACTIVE.COM
      RunnersWeb.com has teamed up with Active Trainer coaches to offer training programs that are a balance of aerobic, anaerobic and
      cross-training workouts. These training programs are built to get people of all levels across the finish line. From the first timer
      to the seasoned veteran you will find the right training plan for you. Good luck with your training and we will see you at the
      finish line.
      Training Log and Analysis:
      Log your daily workouts and monitor your progress along the way.
      Getting Started:
      Set a realistic goal for training. Review the list of training programs developed by Active Trainer Coaches. Select the program that
      best matches your current training schedule. If you have been inactive, select a conservative schedule to assure success and
      decrease the risk of injury. Plug in the start date or the date of your target race and go! The schedule will automatically be
      entered into your log. It is as simple as that...
      Training:
      Select the daily email to receive your training by the day or log on to your account and review the entire schedule. Use the
      interactive log to enter in valuable training information. The more information you enter in your personal log, the better. You will
      be able to use this information in the future to evaluate performance, keep track of what works and what doesn't and stay motivated
      to see just how far you've come.
      Sign up at: www.RunnersWebCoach.com OR http://training.active.com/ActiveTrainer/listing.do?listing=51

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey.
      Sheila is one of Ottawa's top multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public
      Health and works in the field of nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the University of California, San Diego. Her
      column index is available at:

      * Carmichael Training Systems
      Carmichael Training Systems was founded in 1999 by Chris Carmichael.
      From the beginning, the mission of the company has been to improve the lives of individuals we work with through the application of
      proper and effective fitness and competitive training techniques. Whether your focus is recreational, advanced, or you are a
      professional racer, the coaching methodology employed by CTS will make you a better athlete. Check the latest monthly column from
      CTS at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/cts_columns.html.
      Carmichael Training Systems at:
      http://www.trainright.com/promos.asp?code=DSBYBFCSP

      * Peak Performance Online
      Peak Performance is a subscription-only newsletter for athletes, featuring the latest research from the sports science world. We
      cover the whole range of sports, from running and rowing to cycling and swimming, and each issue is packed full of exclusive
      information for anyone who's serious about sport. It's published 16 times a year, including four special reports, by Electric Word
      plc. Peak Performance is not available in the shops - only our subscribers are able to access the valuable information we publish.
      Visit the PPO site at:
      Peak Performance Online:

      * Peak Running Performance
      Peak Running Is The Nation's Most Advanced Running Newsletter. Rated as the #1 Running Publication by Road Runner Sports (Worlds
      Largest Running Store) , Peak Running caters to the serious / dedicated runner. Delivering world class running advice are some of
      running's most recognizable athletes including Dr. Joe Vigil (US Olympic Coach),
      Scott Tinley (2 Time Ironman Champ) Steve Scott (3 Time Olympian) and many more. This bi-monthly newsletter has been around for over
      13 years, and in the past two it has been awarded the "Golden Shoe Award" in recognition of it's outstanding achievements.

      * Running Research News:
      RRN's free, weekly, training update provides subscribers with the most-current, practical, scientifically based information about
      training, sports nutrition, injury prevention, and injury rehabilitation. The purpose of this weekly e-zine is to improve
      subscribers' training quality and to help them train in an injury-free manner.
      Running Research News also publishes a complete, 12-page, electronic newsletter 10 times a year (one-year subscriptions are $35); to
      learn more about Running Research News, please see the Online Article Index and "About Running Research News" sections below or go
      to RRNews.com.
      Check out the article index at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RRN_index.html

      THIS WEEK'S PERSONAL POSTINGS/RELEASES:
      We will only post notes here regarding running and triathlon topics of interest to the community.
      We have NO personal postings this week.

      THIS WEEK'S DIGEST ARTICLE INDEX:

      1. VO2max Newsletter by Jason Karp
      2. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health e-Zine
      3. e-Tips - March 2008
      4. Tennessee Heart Test Is Credited With Saving Lives
      5. My Love Affair With Lactate
      6. Carbohydrates: Forget fancy supplements - carbohydrates are even more important than you'd thought, for strength as well as
      endurance
      7. Supercharge Your Season
      8. The Cure for Exhaustion? More Exercise
      9. Why flu strikes in cold weather
      10. The message isn't getting through
      11. Crash and Burnout
      Working like mad to reach your peak but getting nowhere? You might be overtraining.
      12. This Week in Running
      13. Something Fishy Going On?
      14. Skin and Sun 101: Basics for Cyclists and Triathletes
      15. Eight Healthier Foods
      16. Accelerating Work Out Recovery
      17. On the Other End of the Line, Discipline
      Feel like back-sliding? What, and disappoint the wellness coach?
      18. Distance running veterans - Is ageing inevitable - or simply the result of 'detraining'?
      19. How To Get Ripped Abs
      America's top runners have a secret weapon: core training.
      20. Fats, Vitamins and Your Sore Achilles

      RUNNER'S WEB WEEKLY POLL:
      "Do you support women's only road races?"

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage ( http://www.runnersweb.com) as well as checking the results of previous polls.

      LAST WEEK'S POLL RESULTS:
      "Which best describes your athletic endeavours?
      Answers Percent
      1. Fitness Runner 8%
      2. Fitness Multisport Athlete 35%
      3. Recreationally Competitive Runner 12%
      4. Recreationally Competitive Multisport Athlete 19%
      5. Serious Competitive Runner 12%
      6. Serious Competitive Multisport Athlete 15%

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE MONTH: WCSN.com
      Watch over 50 IAAF Events Live and On-Demand at WCSN.com.
[...]

      BOOK/VIDEO OF THE MONTH: Yoga for Runners
      Keeping runners healthy and on the road.
      The key to unlocking your potential as an athlete is flexibility. Christine Felstead’s Yoga for Runners™ is an easy, empathic method
      of improving flexibility for all athletes, regardless of body type. The four-part format allows you to focus on any individual
      segment or run through the program in its entirety.
      ~ Fundamentals – as a runner, how to integrate yoga into daily life to improve sitting, standing and running postural alignment
      ~ Lower Back
      ~ Hamstrings
      ~ Hips
      Also included is a visual Anatomy Reference Guide. As an athlete, knowing more about your body will help to improve performance;
      reduce the risk of injury; and yoga poses will be better aligned.
      Read a review of Yoga for Runners on the Runner's Web at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news_2008/rw_news_20080218_Yoga_for_Runners.html
      Buy the DVD at:
      http://www.yogaforrunners.com/products/

      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html and

      1. VO2max Newsletter by Jason Karp:
      * VO2max Training
      While increasing your weekly running mileage will increase your VO2max if you currently run less than 40 to 50 miles per week, as
      the increased volume attends to the many biochemical characteristics that influence oxygen extraction and use by the muscles,
      high-intensity interval training at or near VO2max is the most effective stimulus to improve it, especially for trained runners.
      While long intervals (2-5 minutes) provide a greater load on the cardiovascular system, short intervals (<1 minute) can also
      increase VO2max, as long as they include short, active recovery periods to keep VO2 elevated throughout the workout. In lieu of a
      laboratory test to tell you the velocity that elicits VO2max (vVO2max), you can use current race performances or heart rate. vVO2max
      is close to 1-mile race pace for recreational runners and 2-mile race pace (10 to 15 seconds per mile faster than 5K race pace) for
      highly-trained runners. You should be within a few beats of your maximum heart rate by the end of each interval. Examples of
      workouts are: 1) 3 x 1,000 meters (or 4 minutes) at vVO2max with a 3 minutes recovery, 2) 4 x 800 meters (or 3 minutes) at vVO2max
      with 2.5 minutes recovery, and 3) 16 x 400 meters (or 1.5 minutes) at vVO2max with 45 seconds recovery.
      * What's the Best Cardio Equipment?
      (excerpted from Karp, J.R. Show Me The Treadmill: The Best
      Types of Cardio Equipment. Fitness Management, Jan. 2008).
      Being a lifelong runner and coach, people think I'm biased when I say that running is the best aerobic exercise. Well, they're
      right. I am biased. But that's only because running is the best aerobic exercise. If you were to choose one aerobic exercise to do
      or choose one piece of cardio equipment to use for the rest of your life, that exercise should be running and that piece of cardio
      equipment should be the treadmill. Running is the single best exercise you can do.
      Weight-bearing activities are associated with a significantly greater caloric expenditure than non-weight-bearing activities, even
      when the two types of exercise are performed at the same level of intensity. Among weight-bearing activities, running burns more
      calories than most everything else, being equaled only by cross-country skiing and sports that require a lot of running, like
      soccer, squash, handball, and racquetball. However, while these other activities use lots of muscles and burn lots of calories,
      they also require a high degree of skill, which limits your ability to perform the activities for long enough or at a high enough
      intensity to fully realize the aerobic development or energy expenditure benefits. By contrast, running requires little skill, so
      people are limited only by their fitness level.
      All studies that have compared energy expenditure between different modes of exercise have found that the treadmill yields the
      highest oxygen consumption and caloric expenditure. Taking together the research on caloric expenditure and the amount of skill
      needed to acquire a cardiovascular and caloric-burning benefit, the treadmill would have to be considered the best piece of cardio
      equipment, followed by the cross-country skiing machine (e.g., NordicTrack), rowing machine, stair stepper, and stationary bike.
      To view past newsletters go to: http://www.runcoachjason.com/newsletter
      Copyright Jason Karp All Rights Reserved - http://www.runcoachjason.com

      2. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health e-Zine:
      * Bone Density Does Not Necessarily Measure Bone Strength
      The greater the force you put on your bones during exercise, the stronger they become. Researchers at the University of Missouri in
      Columbia showed that recreational runners have denser bones than cyclists (Journal of Metabolism, February 2008). Another study
      from Université de St-Etienne in France show that youth soccer players have an increase in bone density over three years of playing
      high level soccer (Joint Bone Spine, January 2008). They failed to show that the soccer players had denser bones than their
      classmates, yet their intuition told them that heavy forces on bones while playing soccer must strengthen bones, so they stated that
      "The yearly gain im bone density is greater in soccer players than in controls."
      These studies and many others comparing various sports measure bone density, not bone strength. The only way to measure bone
      strength is to see how much force it takes to break them. Needless to say, nobody is doing these studies in humans. So scientists
      use bone density, which can be measured, as a substitute for measuring bone strength. Nobody has shown that bone density determines
      bone strength. For example, birds have bones that are not dense because they need a low weight to fly effectively. Yet their bones
      are very strong. I think that, in the future, methods will be developed to determine bone strength and they will show that measuring
      bone density is, at best, a crude measure of whether a person is likely to break his or her bones.
      * Donating blood: effects on athletes
      A healthy athlete should be able to recover completely from donating blood in eight weeks, but he may lose some of his ability to
      train for a few days. Following a donation of one pint, blood volume is reduced by about ten percent and returns to normal in 48
      hours. For two days after donating, you should drink lots of fluids and probably exercise at a reduced intensity or not at all.
      Donating blood markedly reduces competitive performance for three to four weeks as it takes that long for blood hemoglobin levels to
      return to normal.
      You should not donate blood more often than every eight weeks because it takes that long to replace lost nutrients. If you donate
      blood frequently, you need to make sure to replace the B vitamins and possibly the iron that you lose with the blood. You can meet
      your needs for iron by eating meat, fish or chicken or by taking iron supplements; and you can meet your needs for the B vitamins
      with whole grains and diary products. Donating blood at least four times a year may help to prevent heart attacks by lowering blood
      cholesterol levels significantly and reducing iron levels. Iron in the bloodstream converts LDL cholesterol to oxidized LDL which
      forms plaques in arteries.
      * Dear Dr. Mirkin: What can I do about the fatigue I feel after exercising?
      After you exercise intensely or for a long time, you feel exhausted and cannot exercise again comfortably until you have allowed
      enough time to recover. Part of the fatigue that you feel in your muscles is due to loss of sugar and fat stored inside the
      muscles, and part is due to damage to the muscle fibers. Many studies show that you will recover faster if you take drinks orfoods
      after exercise, but nobody is certain whether recovery is hastened more by calories, protein or carbohydrates.
      Researchers at the University of Bath in England recently confirmed previous studies showing that taking a source of both
      carbohydrates and proteins helps athletes recover faster for a second bout of competition (Journal of Sports Sciences, November
      2007). However, they also showed that putting more nutrients into the drinks (increasing the calories) did more to hasten
      recovery. It did not make any difference whether the extra calories came from carbohydrates or proteins.
      From Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine at: http://www.drmirkin.com

      3.e-Tips - March 2008:
      * How Much Should You Eat?
      A reader asked me to comment on how much an athlete should eat. Obviously, it is not possible to recommend an amount that works for
      every athlete. There are too many variables.
      For example, recently I saw that Deena Kastor, the American women's marathon record holder, eats about 5,000 calories a day when
      training hard and about 3,000 when recovering or tapering. She is 5'4" and probably weighs less than 100 pounds, so that is a lot of
      food. But I expect she runs in the neighborhood of 100 miles a week. This is probably about 10-12 hours weekly of training, much of
      it done at moderate to high intensity (the more intense the workout, the more calories are burned).
      On the other hand, I coach a 56-year-old triathlete/road cyclist who weighs in at 156 pounds. He also trains, on average, about 12
      hours a week with a significant amount of moderate to high intensity and eats around 2,500 calories day, I expect. If he was to eat
      5,000, or even 3,000, calories daily he'd soon look like the Michelin tire man. He basically has to watch how much and what he eats
      every day, especially in mid-winter when he is trying to get back down to race weight after the holiday season and a break from
      training.
      In terms of how much to eat, I like the Okinawan way of being aware of food intake. I understand that they stop eating when
      satisfied and about 80-percent full. We Westerners tend to eat until everything on the plate is gone regardless of how we feel. And
      the portions we consume, especially in restaurants, are huge. If weight control is an issue for you as it is for many of my
      client-athletes, following the Okinawan example would help a lot. You don't need to clean your plate. Stop eating when no longer
      hungry.
      But it isn't simply how much you eat, but also what you eat. My pet peeve with athletes is that they eat way too much starch.
      Starchy foods such as rice, bagels, bread, cereal and corn are the staples in many athletes' diets. Such foods are great for
      recovery. Eating them in the meal following a long and/or intense workout is a great way to restock your glycogen stores in
      preparation for the next workout. But continuing to eat such foods as a significant source of calories outside of the narrow
      recovery window is a sure way to pack on excess poundage. And to make matters worse, most starches are very low in micronutrients
      (for example, vitamins and minerals) compared with vegetables. Once beyond the recovery window, micronutrient intake is the key to
      becoming more fit and healthy.
      And to make matters worse, eating a high starch diet upsets the body's acid-base balance, which ultimately results in the loss of
      bone calcium and muscle nitrogen. The only exceptions are potatoes, yams and sweet potatoes, which raise body fluid pH levels and
      help to maintain bone density and muscle mass. This is what makes these particular starches the best possible recovery foods. All
      other starchy foods (along with dairy, legumes, meats, fish, nuts and eggs) have a tendency to increase acidity, forcing the body to
      react to maintain pH balance by pulling calcium out of the bones and nitrogen out of the muscles (Remer and Manz 1995). Only fruits
      and vegetables have a net alkaline (acid-lowering) effect on the body's pH level. There is a great deal more that could be discussed
      on this topic and perhaps I will in a future post. I'd strongly recommend that you read Dr. Loren Cordain's and my book, The Paleo
      Diet for Athletes(
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1594860890/qid=1148183873/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-4776738-7792862?s=books&v=glance&n=283155) ,
      for more details on this important topic and more.
      Joe Friel is the founder of Ultrafit and the author of the Training Bible book series for cyclists, triathletes and mountain bikers.
      The March issue of e-Tips is now ready for you at www.Ultrafit.com

      4. Tennessee Heart Test Is Credited With Saving Lives:
      The mother of Duke Crews is pretty sure Tennessee basketball saved his life.
      Duke Crews, who was found to have a heart condition, is averaging 6 points and 4.6 rebounds this season.
      Crews seemed healthy until a echocardiogram he received as part of health screenings administered to all Tennessee athletes found
      the forward had hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, a condition blamed for the sudden death of more than a hundred athletes each year.
      “If they hadn’t done it, no one would have ever known he had it,” Crews’s mother, Louise Poindexter, said. “There’s a possibility
      they did save his life.”
      Tennessee is one of only a few universities that routinely perform echocardiograms on all athletes. A fan last year volunteered to
      provide the screenings at no cost.
      The expense of such a test — between $500 and $1,500 for each athlete — is why some universities do not offer it to all athletes,
      said Dr. Douglas Zipes, the past president of the American College of Cardiology and a distinguished professor of medicine at
      Indiana University.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/29/sports/ncaabasketball/29heart.html?_r=1&ref=health&oref=slogin

      5. My Love Affair With Lactate:
      It all started with an innocent race once around the track in sixth grade. Midway through the final curve, I felt something,
      something that would change my life. Her name, I discovered later, was lactate. As I continued to run, she teased me with her power,
      drawing on the reigns, gently at first, then harder with each passing moment. Harder. Harder. By the time I had reached the finish
      line, she had taken control of my whole body with her rapture. I could no longer move. It was love at first sight.
      First discovered in 1780 in sour milk, lactic acid (or lactate, as she is known at the pH of body fluids and to her friends) is
      produced in a metabolic pathway known as glycolysis. Her mother, pyruvic acid, also known as pyruvate and herself a product of
      glycolysis, is converted into lactate when oxygen is not supplied fast enough to meet the needs of the cell. This happens a lot
      during intense exercise because the muscle cell's need for energy (ATP) is too immediate to wait on oxygen, who left pyruvate
      standing alone at the altar (the entrance to the Krebs cycle) for his duties as the patriarch of metabolism. "I'm oxygen," he says
      to the muscle cell, with more than a hint of superiority. "I can give you a lot of ATP, but you will have to wait for it." Oxygen
      knows that he is worth the wait, as he controls the fate of endurance (not to mention that he is the sustenance of life). Therefore,
      as it is well known, there is an accumulation of lactate in the muscles and blood during intense exercise. And from the time I first
      experienced her caress in sixth grade, I was hooked. I still regularly sneak away from home to go to the track, just so I could be
      near her and feel her embrace.
      It wasn't until years later, when I began my graduate work in exercise physiology, that I learned the extent to which lactate really
      is misunderstood. And it was then, when I finally understood what was misunderstood by so many, that our love affair blossomed.
      More...from Enhanced Fitness and Performance at:
      http://www.enhancedfp.com/my-love-affair-lactate

      6. Carbohydrates: Forget fancy supplements - carbohydrates are even more important than you'd thought, for strength as well as
      endurance:
      The role of carbohydrates in sports performance might be one of the most thoroughly researched topics in the field of sports
      nutrition, but that doesn’t stop it constantly throwing up new surprises! Read any biochemistry textbook on carbohydrates nutrition
      and you will find no mention of variation in carbohydrates metabolism between different groups of people. But now new research
      indicates that both gender and age can affect the way our bodies utilise this vital fuel.
      And just in case you have any lingering doubts about the crucial contribution of carbohydrates to optimum performance, scientists
      have also been busy investigating the link between low carbohydrates intakes and exercise-induced free radical damage, leading to
      impaired muscle function.
      According to evolutionary theory, one of the reasons the average female carries more fat than the average male is because of her
      role in child rearing. More fat stores and a more efficient fat metabolism add up to an enhanced ability to survive a period of
      famine – crucial for the survival of any infant, born or unborn. This difference in fat metabolism is thought to underlie the
      observation that females are able to oxidise proportionately more fat and less carbohydrate during long periods of endurance
      exercise, when normal fuel reserves run low, and also why women perform proportionately better at ultra-distance events than their
      male counterparts.
      New research on gender differences
      More...from Peak Performance Online at:
      http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/carbohydrates.html

      7. Supercharge Your Season:
      By Chris Carmichael
      In many areas of the US, Europe, and even Africa and Asian, the cycling season is already in full swing. Meanwhile, much of the
      United States is still waiting for the spring thaw to arrive, and bring with it the start of the competition season.
      Like many racers, you may already have your early-season races picked out, but there’s more to starting your season than simply
      signing up for a few local criteriums. This is a good time to formulate an early-season plan, a program of training and racing that
      will hone your skills and develop your strengths so you’re fast and powerful for your goal events later in the year.
      Goal setting is a critical part of developing your early-season plan. Everyone wants to start the season on a strong note,
      preferably with a win that proves your winter training was effective. Unfortunately, a cyclist’s typical winter training program is
      designed to develop aerobic strength, focusing on longer, lower-intensity rides, neuromuscular-development workouts, and strength
      training. It shouldn’t be a surprise that your high-end power for accelerations and sprints is not as well developed as it was at
      the height of last season, but it’s a fact that only becomes evident to some racers during the first competition of the season.
      Perspective is the key to having a successful early season. When your training program is aimed at achieving peak performance later
      in the spring and summer, it’s important to go into early-season races with realistic and productive goals. Look at the first five
      races of the season as a development period, the time when you use racing to gain skill and speed you’ll use to perform at your best
      in the months to come. These races should be a component in your overall early-season plan, not necessarily the sole focus of that
      plan. To supercharge your season, early races need to be incorporated into focused training and goal-oriented group rides.
      More...from CTS at:
      http://www.trainright.com/articles.asp?uid=3296

      8. The Cure for Exhaustion? More Exercise:
      When a person is sapped by fatigue, the last thing he or she wants to do is exercise. But new research shows that regular,
      low-intensity exercise may help boost energy levels in people suffering from fatigue.
      Fatigue is one of the most common health symptoms and can be a sign of a variety of medical problems. However, about one in four
      people suffers from general fatigue not associated with a serious medical condition.
      University of Georgia researchers decided to study whether exercise can be used to treat fatigue. The research, which appears in the
      February issue of the journal Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics, involved 36 volunteers who were not regular exercisers but who
      complained of persistent fatigue.
      One group of fatigued volunteers was prescribed 20 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic exercise three times a week for six weeks.
      The second group engaged in low-intensity aerobic exercise for the same time period, while a third control group did not exercise.
      The study volunteers used exercise bikes that allowed the researchers to control their level of exertion. The low-intensity exercise
      was equivalent to a leisurely, easy walk. The more intense exercise was similar to a fast-paced walk up hills. Patients with fatigue
      due to serious medical conditions, such as those with chronic fatigue syndrome, weren’t included in the study.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/02/29/the-cure-for-exhaustion-more-exercise/

      9. Why flu strikes in cold weather:
      Scientists believe they have uncovered a key reason why flu viruses tend to strike in cold weather.
      They found the viruses coat themselves in fatty material that hardens to a gel, protecting them in the cold.
      This coating melts in the higher temperatures of the respiratory tract, allowing the virus to infect cells.
      The US National Institutes of Health team hope their study, which features in the journal Nature Chemical Biology, could lead to new
      treatments.
      However, a UK expert said the discovery did not explain why some flu viruses also thrived in tropical climates.
      The hard rubbery coating around the virus which forms in colder temperatures gives it the protection it needs to pass from person to
      person. The coating is so robust it can even resist to certain detergents.
      However, once inside a host the virus can only infect a target cell once the coating has melted.
      But this liquid phase is not tough enough to protect the virus against the elements, and so if the protective coating melts when the
      virus is outside the host, it dies.
      More...from the BBC at:
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7276447.stm

      10. The message isn't getting through:
      There's a second running boom allegedly sweeping North America. The first one, some of us remember, was back in the 1970s, sparked
      by people like Bill Rodgers and his four Boston Marathon wins and writer/runner Jim Fixx. On this side of the border, Jerome
      Drayton's 1977 Boston win and Jacqueline Gareau's victory there three years later — after officials disqualified Rosie Ruiz —
      inspired hordes of Canadians to lace up.
      Now, figures compiled by MarathonGuide.com (http://www.marathonguide.com/features/Articles/2007RecapOverview.cfm#TotalFinishers) in
      the U.S. show that the number of people completing marathons has been rising steadily for years. In 2007, 407,000 people crossed the
      finish line of a marathon in the U.S. That's a jump of about 35 per cent since 2000.
      While there are no comparable numbers on this side of the border, anecdotal evidence abounds. The Chilly Half Marathon in
      Burlington, Ont. — held annually on the first weekend of March — has sold out two months in advance the past two years.
      Canada's biggest road race — the 10K Vancouver Sun Run — attracted more than 53,000 entrants in 2007. They're looking to smash that
      record this year. It seems we're finally getting the fitness message.
      Actually, we're not.
      Last month, Statistics Canada came out with figures that show that barely three in 10 Canadians aged 15 and over participated
      regularly in at least one sport in 2005, down dramatically from nearly half in the early 1990s.
      More...from the CBC at:
      http://www.cbc.ca/health/fitness-blog/2008/02/the_message_isnt_getting_throu_1.html

      11. Crash and Burnout:
      Working like mad to reach your peak but getting nowhere? You might be overtraining.
      To understand the toll that overtraining can take on an athlete’s life, consider the competitive arc of Whitney Myers, a fifth-year
      senior and a world-class swimmer at the University of Arizona. In 2006, Myers won the women’s N.C.A.A. title in the 200- and
      400-yard individual medleys and, to the surprise of almost everyone, won gold in the 200-meter individual medley at the Pan Pacific
      Championships. The accolades kept coming: Myers was named an all-American in several events and an N.C.A.A. Breakout Performer of
      the Year and swam for the United States national team. But barely a year later, she floundered badly at the 2007 long-course
      championships, making the finals in only one event. For weeks before that, her performance in practices had been miserable: slow
      times, inert form. “I remember standing behind the starting blocks at the pool and thinking, ‘I don’t want to be here,’ ” she says.
      “I felt terrible, mentally and physically.” While trying to build on her breakthrough season, she had pushed too hard. She had
      overtrained. She was, for a while at least, finished as a swimmer.
      Though it seems innocuous, overtraining isn’t just a matter of having overdone things in a workout or two. It is, instead, a
      recognized illness (known formally as “overtraining syndrome” by the growing cadre of doctors and researchers who study it), similar
      in many physiological and psychological respects to chronic-fatigue syndrome and major depression, but exactly like neither.
      Overtraining strikes indiscriminately, felling both endurance and strength athletes, particularly the most hardworking and
      tenacious. By some estimates, up to 60 percent of competitive athletes overtrain at some point. A recent study of over 200 elite
      British athletes across a wide spectrum of sports found that more than 15 percent met the criteria for being overtrained. More
      ordinary types can succumb, too. “I work with a lot of runners and distance athletes,” says Ralph Reiff, a certified athletic
      trainer who's the director of the St. Vincent Sports Performance Center in Indianapolis and a leading expert on the symptoms and
      treatment of overtraining. “In my experience, a large percentage of the people who train for 10Ks, half-marathons and marathons are
      overtrained by the time they reach the starting line. Same with cyclists and cross-country skiers. A very high percentage get into a
      state of fatigue that they just cannot get out of.”
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/02/sports/playmagazine/02play-physed.html?ref=fitnessandnutrition

      12. This Week in Running:
      10 Years Ago- Paul Tergat (KEN) defeated Paul Koech (KEN) by 7 seconds at the Mombasa Int'l
      Crosscountry (KEN) 12K. Thomas Nyariki (KEN) was another 17 seconds back in 3rd.
      The women's 8K went to Jackline Maranga (KEN) who was 16 seconds ahead of Sally
      Barsosio (KEN) who, in turn, was 20 seconds ahead of Naomi Mugu (KEN).
      20 Years Ago- You-feng Zhao (CHN) won the Nagoya International Women's (JPN) Marathon in 2:27:56.
      Carla Buerskens (NED) was a minute behind in 2:28:58 while Birgit Stephan (GER) was
      3rd in 2:29:19. The men ran a 30K that was won by Kiyoshi Hayashi (JPN) in 1:32:02.
      The men's 30K was discontinued in 1996.
      30 Years Ago- Dominique Coux won the French crosscountry (11.9K) title by 2 seconds over Jean-Luc Paugam.
      Pierre Levisse was 3rd, another 3 seconds back while Lucien Rault at age 41 was
      4th, another 2 seconds back. Joëlle deBrouwer won the women's 5K in by 10 seconds
      over Joëlle Audibert with Chantal Navarro in 3rd, another 10 seconds back.
      40 Years Ago- Ron Hill won the English (AAA) crosscountry champs, Gaston Roelants won the Belgian
      champs, Jean Waddoux won the French champs, and Mariano Haro won the Spanish champs.
      50 Years Ago- Nothing of note in the ARRS database.
      From The Analytical Distance Runner, the newsletter for the Association of Road Racing Statisticians with a
      focus on races, 3000m and longer, including road, track, and cross-country events.

      13. Something Fishy Going On?
      By Alicia Kendig, RD, CTS Sports Dietitian
      Questions regarding the hype over fish-oil supplements have started trickling into my Inbox lately, so many that I feel it’s time to
      take a concentrated look at these supposed miracle pills. In a nutshell, the capsules claim to replicate the heart-healthy benefits
      of a diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids, like one that includes two servings of fatty fish (like salmon or halibut) each week.
      Fish Oil Basics
      There are two kinds of omega-3 fatty acids found in fish that are directly linked to improving heart health: eicosapentaenoic acid
      (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). The clinical studies and guidelines from the American Heart Association suggest that the
      combination of omega-3s naturally found in fish can decrease VLDL (bad cholesterol) and triglycerides and possibly increase HDL
      (good cholesterol). According to the American Heart Association, some people diagnosed with Coronary Heart Disease may benefit from
      1 gram of EPA+DHA per day. For someone needing to lower high triglyceride levels, 2 to 4 grams of EPA+DHA per day, taken in capsule
      form and under a physician’s supervision, may be prescribed. These amounts of EPA+DHA are higher than what is typically found in the
      average fish oil supplement on store shelves.
      More...from CTS at:
      http://www.trainright.com/articles.asp?uid=3317

      14. Skin and Sun 101: Basics for Cyclists and Triathletes:
      By Aaron K. Joseph, M.D., F.A.A.D.
      Several professional cyclists have made the news lately, not for their race results but for their pathology test results. Magnus
      Backstedt of Team Slipstream/Chipotle and Amber Neben of Team Flexpoint both were treated for melanoma in 2007. Former pro and
      lifetime cyclist Chris Carmichael has also had suspicious growths removed (thankfully they were negative for melanoma). Many more
      cyclists, triathletes, and outdoor enthusiasts are at risk, and it's time for a more vigilant approach to skin health, including sun
      protection and frequent self examination of the skin.
      All cyclists should be aware of the dangers of moles that change shape or color, one of the earliest signs of melanoma. Melanoma is
      one of the most aggressive skin cancers, affecting more than 50,000 Americans each year, and the incidence is rising in young adults
      each decade. Melanoma is easily treated with minor surgery if caught early, but can be deadly if detected too late.
      More...from CTS at:
      http://www.trainright.com/articles.asp?uid=3309&p=3308

      15. Eight Healthier Foods:
      To stay healthy and run strong, you need to make the right food choices. We show you how.
      By Liz Applegate Ph.D.
      You make choices every day--cash or charge, coffee or tea, Leno or Letterman. And most of these choices are easy. That is, you know
      what's best for you. (Letterman, definitely Letterman.) But take a stroll down any aisle in the grocery store, and suddenly simple
      choices disappear. Is a reduced-fat food truly a better option than its full-fat counterpart? Are vegetarian products more healthful
      than non-vegetarian versions? Having so many seemingly healthy choices makes it difficult to know for sure which foods are best for
      you and your running.
      Since I can't join you when you cruise the grocery store, I've done the next best thing: I've come up with a list of my picks for
      eight of the most puzzling food choices out there. Just remember that even when you've filled your cart with the best choices
      possible, you'll still be faced with one final question: Paper or plastic?
      Regular Peanut Butter vs. Reduced-Fat Peanut Butter
      Liz's pick: regular peanut butter. Check the label, and you'll find that both versions pack about 190 calories per 2-tablespoon
      serving. But, while the reduced-fat variety has less fat (12 grams versus 16 grams in regular), it has considerably more sugar.
      Even if you're looking to slash the fat in your diet for better heart health, you'll still want to stay away from the reduced-fat
      varieties. Why? Reduced-fat peanut butters contain hydrogenated vegetable oil, which is a primary source of artery-clogging trans
      fats. In comparison, regular peanut butter is a natural source of cholesterol-lowering monounsaturated fats. So when you opt for a
      reduced-fat peanut butter, you actually end up eating more unhealthy fats.
      And thanks to the healthy fats and the disease-fighting phytochemicals in regular peanut butter, it should be a part of every
      runner's diet. Bonus: The fat in peanut butter helps you feel full, making a PB and apple snack a great way to stave off
      late-afternoon hunger.
      More...from Runner's World at:
      http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-300--5348-0,00.html?cm_mmc=nutrition-_-2008_03_06-_-nutrition-_-FOOD%3a%208%20Smar
      ter%20Choices
      [Long URL]

      16. Accelerating Work Out Recovery:
      By Ken Mierke
      Overtraining is generally the result of a buildup of workout and life stresses with insufficient recovery, not from a single workout
      being too hard. Overtraining really should be called "under-resting". Every good coach searches continually for the right balance of
      volume, intensity, and rest. Rest needs to be an active process, taking full advantage of every opportunity to get the athlete's
      body, and their mind, ready for the next hard workout.
      Recovery is really the athlete's greatest resource. If an athlete can train harder and longer, and absorb and adapt optimally to the
      workouts, he/she will become faster. Therefore, we should teach our athletes to take every reasonable step to accelerate recovery.
      Recovery is more than just taking a day off from training; it is giving the body every resource it needs to adapt to the stimulation
      of previous workouts. Taking every step to maximize workout recovery is a critical part of training.
      More...from the Sport Factory at:
      http://thesportfactory.com/site/trainingnews/Accelerating_Work_Out_Recovery_287.shtml

      17. On the Other End of the Line, Discipline:
      Feel like back-sliding? What, and disappoint the wellness coach?
      “CLOSE your eyes, breathe deeply, and imagine yourself at your most well. What does it look like?”
      The voice on the other end of the phone belonged to neither a guru nor my primary doctor, but to a wellness coach, and the question
      wasn’t rhetorical. The coach, Dr. Julie Desch of Palo Alto, Calif., wanted me to “paint a picture with words.”
      Such is the initial session with a wellness coach — essentially a life coach for your body. You say what you want to do to be
      healthier, and you are told to do it, together you work on the how, and you pay $50 to $150 for the hour on the phone. Counseling is
      rarely done in person.
      While executive coaches help the ambitious and life coaches offer direction to the aimless, wellness coaches are the fitness
      industry’s version of a paid motivator. Not so long ago, their clients were those with injuries, illness or pounds to shed, but more
      recently coaches have been making a play for the perfection-minded, and their motto seems to be “You can always be more fit!”
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/06/fashion/06fitness.html?_r=1&ref=fitnessandnutrition&oref=slogin

      18. Distance running veterans - Is ageing inevitable - or simply the result of 'detraining'?
      A leading question to ask senior citizens, or those nearing seniority, is: ‘how old would you think you were if you didn’t know how
      old you are?’ I would predict that the disparity between theory and fact in the answer would give an indication of that person’s
      exercise level. No one can escape their genetic programme, but most people can do a great deal, barring injury and illness, to
      minimise some of the physiological aspects of ageing by means of modest exercise programmes which embrace conditioning in strength
      and flexibility as well as aerobic exercise.
      It is worth noting that, from the 100m to the marathon, men and women of 80 take only up to 55% and 110% respectively longer than
      they did at 40, with a virtual plateau in performance between 20 and 35-40 (see table 1 below). The current gap between men and
      women will undoubtedly narrow with time, as women’s times are coming down faster than men’s.
      This article will focus on the achievements of older distance runners, including veteran and masters athletes, together with changes
      in some of the physiological parameters relating especially to distance running in older people.
      In 1900 people were considered old in their 40s; just 40 years ago people seemed old in their 60s; but today many do not feel old in
      their 80s – a phenomenon described as ‘youth creep’. Yet there is no common experience in the ageing process, for while an orchestra
      conductor might see himself as a mere stripling at 50, a 20-year-old rhythmic gymnast can feel hopelessly middle-aged.
      More...from Peak Performance Online at:
      http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/distance-running-veterans.html

      19. How To Get Ripped Abs:
      America's top runners have a secret weapon: core training. Steal their moves, and you'll become stronger, fitter, and more efficient
      on the road.
      Every Monday through Saturday at 5 p.m. you can find them, some of the best runners in America--including Meb Keflezighi, Deena
      Kastor, and Ryan Hall--grunting and groaning together on the carpeted floor of Snowcreek Athletic Club in Mammoth Lakes, California.
      Under the blare of a techno beat and the watchful eye of coach Terrence Mahon (whom Meb has dubbed "Dr. Pain"), the members of Team
      Running USA work for 45 minutes toward a common goal: building stronger abs and backs that can only be described in one way--elite.
      Intense core training has become essential for elite runners for good reason: It improves efficiency and endurance as it lowers
      injury risk. Dan Browne, a 2004 Olympic marathoner and a regular carpet-dweller at the 5 p.m. sessions, is quick to cite the
      benefits he's experienced since beginning a regular regimen: "When I'm running, some of the muscles that used to fatigue don't get
      tired as quickly, letting me run stronger and longer."
      The secret is stability. That's because core strength is the primary force that controls motion in the hips and spine when you run.
      Think back to when you were learning to ride a bike. You'd wobble and maybe fall until your dad or mom placed a hand on your back.
      When you run, your core acts as that steadying hand. The stronger the muscles, the more stable your center--and the more efficient
      your running will be.
      More...from Runner's World at:
      http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12417-0,00.html?cm_mmc=women-_-2008_03_05-_-women-_-STRENGTH%3a%20Flat%20Bell
      y,%20Strong%20Runner
      [Multi-line URL]

      20. Fats, Vitamnins and Your Sore Achilles:
      What has Soren Mavrogenis been doing lately?
      That question has not exactly been rolling off athletes' lips, especially since Soren's latest published paper - "Pyeloureteral
      Junction Stenosis and Ureteral Valve Causing Hydronephrosis" (Scandinavian Journal of Urology and Nephrology, Vol.35(3), pp.
      245-247, June 2001) - has nothing at all to do with athletics. But give the fellow a chance! In addition to his pyeloureteral
      pursuits, the Dane is currently carrying out extremely interesting research on the treatment of athletic injuries, and his findings
      may one day help you bounce back from an injury more quickly than expected and as a result set a new personal record or win an
      important competition. A physiotherapist with Denmark's Olympic Committee, Mavrogenis has effectively treated several hundred cases
      of recurrent inflammatory injuries with a novel dietary supplement (Reuters Health, April 27, 2001). Tested for the first time in
      1996 on a group of rowers from Denmark's National Rowing Team, Soren's nostrum appears to have remarkable anti-inflammatory
      properties (research on the overall healing properties of the treatment will be published in a peer-reviewed journal shortly).
      More...from Running Research News at:
      http://runningresearchnews.com/News_Feed.php

      THIS WEEK'S FEATURED EVENTS:
      *Please verify event dates with the event websites*
      March 7-9, 2008:
      IAAF World Indoor Championships - Valencia, Spain

      March 8, 2008:
      Canyonlands Half Marathon - Moab, UT

      Gate River Run - Jacksonville, FL

      HEB Bayou City Classic 10K - Houston, TX

      NIKE 5K for Kids - Atlanta, GA

      March 9, 2008:
      Valley of the Sun Half Marathon & Relay - Mesa, AZ

      Saturday, June 21, 2008
      Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K race for Women
      http://www.emiliesrun.com
      Over $7,000 in prize money for top individual and teams
      In 2007 45 women broke 20:00!

      mailto:webmaster@... to notify us of the problem. To update your Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the
      web.

      Runner's Web
      mailto: webmaster@...
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html
      A running and triathlon resource portal
      Runner's Web Online Store
      http://store.runnersweb.com
      RunnersWebCoach
      http://www.runnerswebcoach.com

      RUNNER'S WEB AFFILIATE PROGRAMS:
      All revenue from advertisers and affiliate programs goes into the support of running and triathlon through sponsorship of events,
      teams, clinics and fund raising programs for Canada's Olympic athletes.

      XM Satellite Radio
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000021517490

      Puma
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000005110141&pubid=21000000000028567

      Champion
      http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=h1QosBYBFXw&offerid=113858.10000144&type=1&subid=0

      Nike
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000015009821

      Free Ground Shipping on Orders of $175 or More at Patagonia.com
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000012303508&pubid=21000000000028567

      Peak Performance Online:

      Carmichael Training Systems at:
      http://www.trainright.com/promos.asp?code=DSBYBFCSP

      Reebok
      http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/stat?id=h1QosBYBFXw&offerid=117802&type=3&subid=0

      Your very own personal trainer at a fraction of the cost
      http://www.cartville.com/app/?af=473063

      Check out TotalWellness's mp3 Personal Training Program - only 5% the Cost of Regular Personal Training!
      http://www.totalwellnessconsulting.ca/fitter_u_totalwellness.htm

      Geezer Jock Magazine, The Masters Sports & Fitness Magazine
      http://www.geezerjock.com/index.cfm?affID=runnersweb

      Athletes, Coaches, Trainers and Physio's
      ..new software designs unlimited stretching routines with ease!
      Design unlimited stretching routines today, starting from scratch, in under 60 seconds!
      http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/cmd.php?af=245575&u=http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/products/instantstretch.htm

      Mental Strength Training Center:
      http://www.memberstar.com/redir_a.php?LFAId=1027

      National Bike Registry
      http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/stat?id=vVGS2V*0iZg&offerid=21387&type=3&subid=0

      Buy Paula Radcliffe's book, My Story - So Far, from Amazon UK at:
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/074325242X/runnersweb-21

      Endurance Films
      Triathlon Training DVDs
      https://endurancefilms.hivelocity.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=EF&Affiliate=runnersweb

      Instant Stretching Routines
      Design unlimited stretching routines today, starting from scratch, in under 60 seconds!
      http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/cmd.php?af=245575&u=http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/newsletter.php

      ShoeWallet.com has set out on a mission to enable people to easily carry ID and medical information at all times. Basically, anyone
      who is out on the roads or trails needs a convenient place to carry this vital information.
      http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?joggerscompanion+pXgxpm+index.html+

      SportsShoes in the UK
      http://www.sportsshoes.com/index.php?id=149

      Visit on AssociatesShop.com Online Bookstore for running and triathlon books:
      http://associatesshop.filzhut.de/shop/index.php?ID=90c9f271c1a519abc4a69299be7075a9

      TrainingPeaks.com by Wes Hobson.
      Find the training program that fits you at:
      http://www.trainingpeaks.com/rw

      TriSwim Coach - The Complete Guide to Triathlon Swimming
      http://hop.clickbank.net/?rhianyth/triswim1

      If you have an accident while running or cycling, do you want your family to be contacted? Do you want to receive immediate and
      proper medical treatment?
      If so, make this cool item part of your gear -- for safety and peace of mind. Road ID has created 4 awesome ways for athletes to
      wear ID: the SHOE, the WRIST, the ANKLE, and the NECK. Get your RoadID at:
      http://www.roadid.com/?referrer=50

      The Stretching Ha<br/><br/>(Message over 64 KB, truncated)