Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest - February 1, 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2008
      those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out
      our daily news, features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more. General questions should be posted to one of our forums available
      from our FrontPage.

      All of the revenue from our advertisers and affiliates goes to support clubs, athletes and clinics related to multisport and
      Canadian Olympians.

      1. Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women - Canada's Fastest Women's 5K
      November 10, 2007: Prize Money Announced for Teams
      RunnersWeb.com Inc. is pleased to announce the addition of $2,250 in prize money for the top teams for the 2008 Emilie's Run. This
      prize money is in addition to the previously announced $5,500 in individual prize money for the top open and masters runners and the
      primes for the leaders at 1 through 4K.
      The team prize money will be allocated as follows:
      1st (Open): $1,000,
      3rd: $500
      A maximum of 5 entrants per team, top 3 to score.
      The 2008 edition of Emilie's Run will take place on Saturday, June 21st at the Aviation Museum in Ottawa with $5,500 in cash prizes
      for the top open and masters and merchandise prizes for the top teams and age-groupers.
      There will also be a 1K run for children.
      For more on the race visit the website at:
      Join Emilie's Run Community and contribute at:
      January 4, 2008: Goodlife Fitness has come on board as a sponsor of Emilie's Run
      GoodLife Fitness - Coed or Women's Only
      Visit www.GoodLifeFitness.com today to receive 3 FREE Visits!
      Your 3 FREE visits include:
      . A Visual Fitness Planner Consultation
      . Fit Fix Orientation to learn how to exercise safely and effectively
      . Access to all cardio and strength-training equipment
      . Access to all of our world-class Group EXercise classes
      . A copy of Living the Good Life audio CD
      Get started today! Visit www.GoodLifeFitness.com Limited time offer.

      3. Road Runner Sports, the world's largest running store at:
      New Arrivals from Nike With Web Exclusive Apparel and More!

      4. Toronto Waterfront Marathon, 2008

      5. Mississauga Marathon
      The 5th anniversary edition of the Mississauga Marathon will be run on May 11, 2008 with the 10K the evening before on May 10th.
      Register before February 6th to beat the price increase.
      For more visit the race site at:

      6. Training Peaks
      Training Peaks, LLC is dedicated to the endurance athlete and coach. With our industry leading software products, we're committed to
      help you monitor, analyze and plan your training. We encourage you to draw on our passion for excellence to help you reach your
      athletic dreams. Trusted by thousands. Dedicated to you.

      7. Running Free
      Running Free is a complete online running store with everything for the casual to serious runner.
      They also have retail stores in the GTA (Toronto) and Markham.
      Check them out at:

      8. January 4, 2008: Goodlife Fitness has come on board as a sponsor of Emilie's Run
      GoodLife Fitness - Coed or Women's Only
      Visit www.GoodLifeFitness.com today to receive 3 FREE Visits!
      Your 3 FREE visits include:
      . A Visual Fitness Planner Consultation
      . Fit Fix Orientation to learn how to exercise safely and effectively
      . Access to all cardio and strength-training equipment
      . Access to all of our world-class Group EXercise classes
      . A copy of Living the Good Life audio CD
      Get started today! Visit www.GoodLifeFitness.com Limited time offer.

      The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional Organization for the Running Industry.

      Check the "New Subscribers' note at the bottom of the newsletter

      Get our Syndicated headlines for your site.
      Add the Runner's Web News feed to your site through a simple JavaScript.
      Check out OnTri.com's implementation at:
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is now available through an RSS feed for myYahoo at:

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet Explorer from the link on our FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com . We have added a button for Lauren Groves, Triathlete.

      If anyone is looking for a web mail provider, you might wish to consider Google's GMail. You can now sign up for free Gmail at

      Race Directors:
      Advertise your event on the Runner's Web.

      Our February Trivia and Pegasus Quiz have been posted on our FrontPage.

      I've created a Runner's Web Group on Facebook.
      To join the Runner's Web Facebook group, if you are not a member of Facebook, you must first create a free Facebook account at
      www.facebook.com. Once you have your own space, search "Runner's Web" under "Groups". At the Runner's Web site, click "Join this
      group". Once I have approved your request to join, you'll be able to visit the site, post race photos, discuss training tips, and
      share information about running, racing and training.

      us at: mailto:webmaster@... or leave your comments in one of our Forums at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/forum.html
      or from our FrontPage.

      We have 2,333 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they
      subscribe at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RunnersWeb/join .

      * ACTIVE.COM
      RunnersWeb.com has teamed up with Active Trainer coaches to offer training programs that are a balance of aerobic, anaerobic and
      cross-training workouts. These training programs are built to get people of all levels across the finish line. From the first timer
      to the seasoned veteran you will find the right training plan for you. Good luck with your training and we will see you at the
      finish line.
      Training Log and Analysis:
      Log your daily workouts and monitor your progress along the way.
      Getting Started:
      Set a realistic goal for training. Review the list of training programs developed by Active Trainer Coaches. Select the program that
      best matches your current training schedule. If you have been inactive, select a conservative schedule to assure success and
      decrease the risk of injury. Plug in the start date or the date of your target race and go! The schedule will automatically be
      entered into your log. It is as simple as that...
      Select the daily email to receive your training by the day or log on to your account and review the entire schedule. Use the
      interactive log to enter in valuable training information. The more information you enter in your personal log, the better. You will
      be able to use this information in the future to evaluate performance, keep track of what works and what doesn't and stay motivated
      to see just how far you've come.
      Sign up at: www.RunnersWebCoach.com OR http://training.active.com/ActiveTrainer/listing.do?listing=51

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey.
      Sheila is one of Ottawa's top multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public
      Health and works in the field of nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the University of California, San Diego. Her
      column index is available at:

      * Carmichael Training Systems
      Carmichael Training Systems was founded in 1999 by Chris Carmichael.
      From the beginning, the mission of the company has been to improve the lives of individuals we work with through the application of
      proper and effective fitness and competitive training techniques. Whether your focus is recreational, advanced, or you are a
      professional racer, the coaching methodology employed by CTS will make you a better athlete. Check the latest monthly column from
      CTS at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/cts_columns.html.
      Carmichael Training Systems at:

      * Peak Performance Online
      Peak Performance is a subscription-only newsletter for athletes, featuring the latest research from the sports science world. We
      cover the whole range of sports, from running and rowing to cycling and swimming, and each issue is packed full of exclusive
      information for anyone who's serious about sport. It's published 16 times a year, including four special reports, by Electric Word
      plc. Peak Performance is not available in the shops - only our subscribers are able to access the valuable information we publish.
      Visit the PPO site at:
      Peak Performance Online:

      * Peak Running Performance
      Peak Running Is The Nation's Most Advanced Running Newsletter. Rated as the #1 Running Publication by Road Runner Sports (Worlds
      Largest Running Store) , Peak Running caters to the serious / dedicated runner. Delivering world class running advice are some of
      running's most recognizable athletes including Dr. Joe Vigil (US Olympic Coach),
      Scott Tinley (2 Time Ironman Champ) Steve Scott (3 Time Olympian) and many more. This bi-monthly newsletter has been around for over
      13 years, and in the past two it has been awarded the "Golden Shoe Award" in recognition of it's outstanding achievements.

      * Running Research News:
      RRN's free, weekly, training update provides subscribers with the most-current, practical, scientifically based information about
      training, sports nutrition, injury prevention, and injury rehabilitation. The purpose of this weekly e-zine is to improve
      subscribers' training quality and to help them train in an injury-free manner.
      Running Research News also publishes a complete, 12-page, electronic newsletter 10 times a year (one-year subscriptions are $35); to
      learn more about Running Research News, please see the Online Article Index and "About Running Research News" sections below or go
      to RRNews.com.
      Check out the article index at:

      We will only post notes here regarding running and triathlon topics of interest to the community.
      We have NO personal postings this week.

      1. The Risks of Overtraining
      2. Staying a Step Ahead of Aging
      3. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health e-Zine:
      4. Survival of the fittest
      5. Scientific training: How one former couch potato found a talent and then called on the appliance of science to become an elite
      6. Exercise capacity benefits lifespan
      7. Tips for boosting your immune system
      8. Sedentary life 'speeds up ageing'
      9. Bad air causing cardiac disease, experts say
      10. Dealing with Injuries
      Kara Goucher is one of the most decorated distance runners in American history.
      11. How Long Does It Take To Recover?
      12. This Week in Running
      13. Sports is a strain on fans' hearts
      14. Eating to Recover …
      15. The Glass Ceiling
      What happens when your hard work as an athlete stops paying off…
      16. Stress fractures: an invisible enemy
      UCLA researchers seek risk factors for the micro-injuries that can undermine a runner's career.
      17. Yoga for Runners
      18. Digest Briefs

      "Should the Boston Marathon have qualifying times at distances other than the marathon, for example, 30K?"

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage ( http://www.runnersweb.com) as well as checking the results of previous polls.

      "How would you label yourself as an athlete?
      Answers Percent
      1. Runner 55%
      2. Duathlete 3%
      3. Triathlete 14%
      4. Multi-sport athlete 17%
      5. Cyclist 10%
      6. Other 0%

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE MONTH: Runnerville.com.
      "Runnerville.com is a collection of voices and pens (err, keyboards) brought together to discuss the sport of running. It’s a
      conversation intended to engage, inspire, and prod the running community. It’s a dialog intended to encourage change. Running has
      reached the proverbial fork in the road. One path leads us into deeper obscurity, the other into the collective conscious of sports
      fans. We’re pushing for the latter."
      The site was founded by a group including Matt Taylor, Tony Reavis, Mary Wittenberg, Amby Burfoot, Chris Lear, and Lauren Fleshman.
      Check it out at: http://runnerville.com

      BOOK/VIDEO OF THE MONTH: Championship Triathlon Training
      About the Product
      Dedication, passion, obsession—for serious endurance athletes, coaches, duathletes, and triathletes, the quest for improvement never
      ends. Knowing they can shave time from the previous performance, they seek out the latest in research and training techniques.
      In Championship Triathlon Training, renowned experts George Dallam and Steven Jonas provide you with the same advanced conditioning
      concepts and programming used by today’s elite triathletes.
      By understanding the science behind the principles, you will incorporate physiology, biomechanics, nutrition, and injury prevention
      into your regimen to address your specific needs and the demands of competition. Specifically, you’ll learn these techniques:
      ~ Use weight training, plyometrics, and core development to accelerate skill development in all phases of swimming, running, and
      ~ Apply metabolic training to improve endurance and race speed.
      ~ Combine sport-specific skills, such as mounting and dismounting, with metabolic training to improve transition times between
      ~ Develop more efficient movement patterns for increased performance potential and reduced injury.
      ~ Assess health and physical status to avoid overtraining.
      Complete with sample programs for each triathlon distance, technique analysis, training- and race-specific fueling strategies, and
      tips for motivation, focus, and goal setting, Championship Triathlon Training will optimize your training and maximize your results.

      About the Authors
      George Dallam, PhD, is the longtime coach of Hunter Kemper, the No. 1-ranked triathlete in the ITU World Cup during 2005 and most of
      2006. He is the founding member of the National Coaching Commission of USA Triathlon, the sport’s national governing body, and was
      USA Triathlon’s first national team coach. In 2004 he was a finalist for the Doc Counsilman Award for Science in Coaching category
      of the United States Olympic Committee’s Coach of the Year Award. In 2005 he was USA Triathlon’s Elite Coach of the Year.
      Dallam is an associate professor of exercise science and health promotion at Colorado State University at Pueblo. As a sport
      scientist he has authored and coauthored numerous scientific papers relating to triathlon. During his career at CSU-Pueblo, he has
      received each of the university-wide awards for teaching, scholarship, and service, becoming the only faculty member in the history
      of the institution to receive all three awards.
      During his 16-year triathlon coaching career, Dallam has served as a personal coach to several elite triathletes, including Amanda
      Stevens, Marcel Vifian, Callahan Hatfield, Michael Smedley, and Ryan Bickerstaff. As the USA Triathlon national team coach, he also
      served as the Olympic Training Center resident and collegiate programs coach for Olympians Nick Radkewich and Susan Williams as well
      as perennial international stars Laura Reback, Becky Lavelle, and Doug Friman. Before focusing on triathlon, he coached at various
      levels in swimming, water polo, and cross country. He resides in Colorado Springs.
      Steven Jonas, MD, MPH, MS, FNYAS, has been a regular columnist and contributor to The East Coast Triathlete, Triathlon Today,
      Triathlon Times, and American TRI. Since 2006, he has written a column titled “Ordinary Mortals: Talking Triathlon with Steve Jonas”
      for USA Triathlon Life. He is the author of Triathloning for Ordinary Mortals and The Essential Triathlete. He also currently serves
      as editor in chief for American Medical Athletic Association Journal and has been a member of the editorial board of ACSM’s Health &
      Fitness Journal since 1999.
      Jonas is a professor of preventive medicine in the School of Medicine at Stony Brook University in New York. As author, coauthor,
      editor, and coeditor, he has published more than 25 books and 135 academic papers on health policy, health promotion, disease
      prevention, and fitness and exercise.
      The year 2007 marked Jonas’ 25th season as a recreational triathlete. He has competed in over 185 multisport races, including 115
      triathlons, at distances up to the Ironman. He is also a certified professional ski instructor. Jonas resides in Port Jefferson, New
      Table of Contents
      Chapter 1. Essential Training Elements and Guidelines
      Chapter 2. Training the Mind
      Chapter 3. Assessing and Improving Technique
      Chapter 4. Advanced Training for Strength and Muscle Balance
      Chapter 5. Complex Speed and Endurance Training
      Chapter 6. Race-Specific Training and Strategy
      Chapter 7. Creating a Long-Term Training Plan
      Chapter 8. Training Programs
      Chapter 9. Health and Fueling Strategies for Maximum
      Words of Praise
      "In Championship Triathlon Training, George Dallam and Steven Jonas combine the latest research and cutting-edge programming to
      create the definitive training resource for serious triathletes."
      Siri Lindley
      Two-Time Triathlon World Champion
      Winner of 13 World Cup Races
      Coach of Olympic Medalists
      Buy the book from Human Kinetics at:

      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html and

      1. The Risks of Overtraining:
      Intense training - can you have too much of a good thing?
      The serious athlete could be forgiven for thinking that he or she is training too hard, given the universal endorsement of moderate
      activity and the much publicised deaths of Jim Fixx, Marc-Vivien Foe, Reggie Lewis and other famous athletes (possibly linked to
      overtraining). Gary O’Donovan reviews the latest evidence and considers whether, in the interests of health, the serious athlete
      should give up high-intensity exercise in favour of brisk walking.
      Diseases of inactivity are the leading cause of death in the UK(1). In England and Wales, rising levels of obesity and type-2
      diabetes are thought to have caused around 5,000 additional deaths between 1981 and 2000(2). More alarmingly, coronary heart disease
      (CHD) is thought to have caused over 40,000 premature deaths in the UK in 2002(3). There is no genetic explanation for the increased
      prevalence of these diseases, as the genetic make-up of man has changed little during the past 10,000 years(4). Rather, obesity,
      type-2 diabetes and CHD are ‘lifestyle diseases’ that can be prevented.Why is moderate activity recommended for health?
      Traditionally, it was recommended that 20 to 60 minutes of aerobic exercise be performed three or more times per week at 60 to 90%
      of maximum capacity(5,6). Although these recommendations were designed to improve aerobic fitness, it is likely that most
      individuals did not distinguish between the health benefits of physical activity and physical fitness(7). More recently, the
      American College of Sports Medicine has published separate guidelines on physical activity(8) and physical fitness(9). ‘Exercise for
      fitness’ and ‘physical activity for health’ concepts were distinguished in the belief that ‘the amount of activity is more important
      than the specific manner in which the activity is performed’(8).
      More...from Peak Performance Online at:

      2. Staying a Step Ahead of Aging :
      YOU know what is supposed to happen when you grow old. You will slow down, you will grow weak, your steps will become short and
      mincing, and you will lose your sense of balance. That’s what aging researchers consistently find, and it’s no surprise to most of
      But it is worth remembering that the people in those studies were sedentary, said Dr. Vonda Wright, a professor of orthopedics at
      the University of Pittsburgh.
      Dr. Wright, a 40-year-old runner, decided to study people who kept training as they got older or began competing in middle age. She
      wanted to know what happens to them and at what age does performance start to decline.
      Their results are surprising, even to many of the researchers themselves. The investigators find that while you will slow down as
      you age, you may be able to stave off more of the deterioration than you thought. Researchers also report that people can start
      later in life — one man took up running at 62 and ran his first marathon, a year later, in 3 hours 25 minutes.
      It’s a testament to how adaptable the human body is, researchers said, that people can start serious training at an older age and
      become highly competitive. It also is testament to their findings that some physiological factors needed for a good performance are
      not much affected by age.
      More...from the NY Times at:

      3. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health e-Zine:
      * Benefits from Lifestyle Change at Any Age
      Richard Rivlin of Cornell University Medical School states that: "Age isn't a factor when it comes to improving your health and
      leading a healthier lifestyle. A better diet and exercise
      program is all that's needed to live better, even if you've had an unhealthy lifestyle in the past." His study placed older people
      on a low-calorie and low-fat diet that was high in vegetables and fruits, and a regular exercise plan (American Journal of Clinical
      Nutrition, December 2007). The participants lowered high blood pressure, reduced body fat and increased muscle size. They had
      lower cancer rates and less osteoporosis.
      Another report from Université de Bourgogne followed men over 70 who spent three hours a week in a moderately intensive combined
      exercise training for one year (Aging Clinical
      and Experimental Research, August 2007). One year later, their oxygen uptake was significantly increased and their maximal leg
      muscle strength improved more than 15 percent. They could walk 10 percent further in six minutes and seven percent faster for 200
      meters,. This shows that a relatively modest program of exercise will improve endurance, strength and quality of life at any age.

      * Dear Dr. Mirkin: Are HGH injections harmful?
      Many top athletes in virtually every sport that requires strength take Human Growth Hormone, or HGH. Since HGH is taken "under the
      table", virtually no studies have been done to
      track the consequences of its use in athletes. However, a study from Johns Hopkins shows that children who are growth hormone
      deficient and are given growth hormone for one year develop a progressive thickening of their heart muscle and of the blood vessels
      leading to their brains. They are 52 times more likely to have an atherosclerotic carotid plaque after one year. (The Journal of
      Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, Volume 92, 2007)
      A very famous athlete died suddenly for no apparent reason. The autopsy showed that she had a huge heart that had outgrown its blood
      supply. HGH enlarges the heart without
      proportionately enlarging blood vessels that nourish it. HGH can make you a better athlete, but at a price. Athletes are so guided
      by their desire to win that they often are willing to ignore the consequences of the drugs that they take.
      From Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine at: http://www.drmirkin.com

      4. Survival of the fittest:
      SOME exercise is good, but more is better -- at least when it comes to cutting risk of death in the immediate future. That's the
      conclusion of a study of 15,660 Caucasian and African American men (average age 59) who were given treadmill tests to determine
      their level of fitness. The men, tested in Washington, D.C., and Palo Alto, were followed for about seven years. Those who were in
      the "very highly fit" category had a 70% lower death risk during that time period than those in the "low fit" category. Those
      considered moderately fit had about a 50% lower death risk compared with the low-fit group.
      Moderate fitness isn't that difficult to achieve, says Peter Kokkinos, director of an exercise testing lab at the Veterans Affairs
      Medical Center in Washington, D.C., and lead author of the study published last week online in Circulation: Journal of the American
      Heart Assn. "You need to take a brisk walk for 30 minutes four to six times a week. It's not as easy as taking a pill, but let's be
      reasonable here."
      But upping that activity into a fitter zone, which ultimately yields more benefits, doesn't take much more: "Add a little jogging,
      push yourself a little bit," he says.
      From the LA Times at:

      5. Scientific training: How one former couch potato found a talent and then called on the appliance of science to become an elite
      This is a personal account of my life as a runner. At the age of 30 I was just an average bloke. I was stuck in a rut with a
      stressful job that had long, unsociable hours. I was overweight, taking no exercise and enjoying a smoke and a drink. Then something
      happened: whatever it was – an early mid-life crisis or a sudden awakening of an inner competitive spirit – it eventually changed me
      into an international athlete. It is an unlikely tale but this is exactly what happened.
      Not all of this story may seem relevant, but I believe it highlights a number of factors which athletes of all standards should
      consider in their pursuit of peak, or at least improved, performance. It shows why there is a need for careful planning, patience
      and progression in your lifestyle, training and racing. How vital the relationship is with your coach. How both athlete and coach
      have to have total belief in what they are doing and total respect for each other. Each has to have a full understanding of, and
      commitment to, the plan. Your coach has to understand you as a person. Yes, there are coaches who can motivate and inspire groups of
      athletes but to really coach an athlete takes time, energy, commitment and knowledge. I hope this article also demonstrates the need
      for the athlete to have personal responsibility for, and understanding of, their own training. After all it is the runner who does
      the running so, to my way of thinking, there had better be some good reasons why I am doing it! An athlete and a good coach should
      also be open-minded enough to evaluate and experiment with new and different training methods.
      This journey would never have happened were it not for the support of my wife or the guidance, generosity and knowledge from
      physiologist and coach Dr Tony Trowbridge. I must also thank Bruce Tulloh and his wife, and the willingness of a group of world
      class Kenyan athletes, who allowed an unknown old guy to be part of their group and share in their training methods for two months.
      More...From peak Performance Online at:

      6. Exercise capacity benefits lifespan:
      A person's exercise capacity can have a substantial impact on how long they live, according to a new study.
      The study involved veterans - 8,911 white men and 6,749 black men - who underwent treadmill testing to determine their oxygen
      consumption during exercise.
      They were classified as either low-fit, moderate fit, highly fit or very highly fit based on the level of peak metabolic
      equivalents, or METs, they achieved. METs measure how much oxygen a person uses. One MET is the amount used at rest.
      The men were followed for an average of 7.5 years.
      Highly fit men had 50% less risk of dying than the low-fit men. Very highly fit men had 70% lower risk.
      The fitness benefit was about the same in black and white men.
      "It takes relatively moderate levels of physical activity like brisk walking to attain the associated health benefits," Peter
      Kokkinos, lead author of the study, said in a statement. "Certainly one does not need to be a marathon runner."
      The study was published in the journal Circulation.
      From the Journal-Sentinel at:

      7. Tips for boosting your immune system:
      Sneezing, coughing, chills and aches. Like it or not, cold and flu season is here, and will be making its presence known to many
      Canadians until it fizzles out in March or April.
      The common cold, characterized by sneezing, runny nose and congestion is quite different from the flu, which includes a sudden onset
      of fever, headache, muscle aches and exhaustion.
      Regardless, they'll both leave you feeling lousy and probably mean missed days at work or school. Healthy Ontario estimates that
      Canadian adults get an average of four colds a year, while Health Canada says up to 25 per cent of Canadians (that's eight million
      people) will come down with the flu each year.
      Many Canadians reach for vitamin C, echinacea and ginseng to prevent them from getting a cold or the flu, or quicken their recovery
      if they've already caught a bug. But with little research to support many of these common remedies, the question remains — do they
      actually work?
      Vitamin C
      All you have to do is take a look at the shelves of your local pharmacy to see the range of vitamin C products and supplements to
      know this vitamin is one of the most popular for fighting colds.
      Vitamin C has long been believed to play a role in preventing the common cold, however conflicting evidence has brought these claims
      into question.
      The largest study to date, a 2004 Cochrane review of 29 trials involving more than 11,000 participants, found that vitamin C
      supplements did not actually reduce the number of colds in the general population. However, researchers from the Australian National
      University who conducted the study found that vitamin C could slightly reduce the duration and severity of colds in people exposed
      to cold temperatures or extreme physical stress.
      More...from the CBC at:

      8. Sedentary life 'speeds up ageing' :
      Leading a sedentary lifestyle may make us genetically old before our time, a study suggests.
      A study of twins found those who were physically active during their leisure time appeared biologically younger than their sedentary
      The researchers found key pieces of DNA called telomeres shortened more quickly in inactive people. It is thought that could signify
      faster cellular ageing.
      The King's College London study appears in Archives of Internal Medicine.
      An active lifestyle has been linked to lower rates of cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes and cancer.
      However, the latest research suggests that inactivity not only makes people more vulnerable to disease, but may actually speed up
      the ageing process itself.
      The King's team studied 2,401 white twins, asking them to fill out questionnaires on their level of physical activity, and taking a
      blood sample from which DNA was extracted.
      More...from the BBC at:

      9. Bad air causing cardiac disease, experts say:
      Persistent exposure may be causing cardiac diseases in those with no other risk factors.
      There is growing evidence that chronic exposure to air pollution levels common in places such as Toronto may be causing heart
      disease in otherwise healthy people, a top cardiac researcher said yesterday.
      While the harmful effects of air pollution on people with pre-existing heart conditions has been well documented, persistent
      exposure to bad air may be causing cardiac diseases in those with no other risk factors, University of Michigan cardiologist Robert
      Brook says.
      Brook, one of the first researchers to link air pollution with cardiac deaths, was speaking after a Canadian Heart and Stroke
      Foundation news conference in Toronto, during which the group gave Ontario a failing grade in a new report card on pollution and
      heart health.
      Ontario joined Quebec and parts of the British Columbia interior as the three areas in Canada where fine particle pollution
      periodically exceeded acceptable air quality levels over a three-year period.
      Air pollution, especially fine particulate exhaust from factories and cars, is believed to cause some 6,000 deaths in Canada each
      year, with about 70 per cent of those linked to existing cardiovascular diseases.
      But Brook, who spoke as a pollution expert at the conference, said there is growing evidence dirty air may be having long-term heart
      effects on young, fit people.
      "There are studies ... that show that there may be a cumulative long-term effect of being exposed over a lifetime or over many
      years," he said in an interview.
      Indeed, one major study of women in several American cities published last year showed pollution may increase the risk of heart
      disease in healthy people by as much as 76 per cent, Brook says.
      He says animal studies have also shown that exposure to pollution can cause hardening of the arteries, high blood pressure and
      diabetes, all of which are risk factors for heart disease and stroke.
      More...from the Toronto Star at:

      10. Dealing with Injuries:
      Kara Goucher is one of the most decorated distance runners in American history. Kara won a bronze medal in Osaka in 2007 to become
      the first American female to medal in 15 years. Her 2007 was filled with PRs in the 1500m, 3k, 2-mile, 5k and 10k. She also ran an
      American Record in her first half marathon and is currently readying for a stellar 2008 campaign! Each week on insidenikerunning,
      we’ll be holding a Q&A with Kara.
      If you have a question you want to ask, email us at mailto:askkara@..., and we’ll pick a handful of questions for her to answer
      each week!
      More...from Inside Nike Running at:

      11. How Long Does It Take To Recover?
      By Coach Matt Russ
      A common assumption is that a day or two allows full recovery from training or racing. For the most part this amount of recovery may
      allow you to resume training, but it takes up to 10 DAYS or more to fully recover from a tough work out or race. Fatigue
      accumulates and recovery is like a bank, you make a withdrawal (training) you must make a deposit (recovery) to get your balance
      back up. The bigger the withdrawal the greater the deposit you have to make.
      Part of the training process is to add some level of training stress while the body is not fully recovered. This allows super
      compensation and builds fitness, but it is a slippery slope. You have to carefully balance the stress recovery and schedule regular
      intervals to allow your body to catch up and replenish your balance. Daily these are sleep / rest periods, weekly- off days or
      recovery days, monthly- recovery weeks, and annually transition phases. All of these allow the body to fully repair itself and
      resume training at a high level.
      If a schedule aerobic base ride turns into a 2 hour hammer fest it may double your recovery time before you are able to resume
      normal training. It may also degrade the quality of your work outs later in the week. Remember, every bit of training stress has
      implications so choose yours wisely then allow your body to recover from it.
      Matt Russ has coached and trained elite athletes from around the country and internationally for over ten years. He currently holds
      expert licenses from USA Triathlon, USA Cycling (Elite), and is a licensed USA Track and Field Coach. Matt is head coach and owner
      of The Sport Factory, and works with athletes of all levels full time. He is a free lance author and his articles are regularly
      featured in a variety of magazines such as Inside Triathlon, and Triathlete. Visit www.thesportfactory.com for more information or
      email him at mailto:coachmatt@...

      12. This Week in Running:
      10 Years Ago- Khalid Skah (MAR) won the Cross Auchan Lille Metropole (FRA) 9.7K by two seconds over
      Laban Chege (KEN). Mustapha El Ahmadi (MAR) was a distant 3rd, another 13 seconds back.
      Blandine Bitzner (FRA) won the women's 5.3K in a tight three woman finish. She edged
      Susan Chepkemei (KEN) and Paula Radcliffe (ENG) by a mere one second. Colleen deReuck
      (RSA) was 4th, 13 seconds back.
      20 Years Ago- Lisa Ondieki (AUS) won the Osaka Women's (JPN) Marathon in 2:23:51, more than five
      minutes ahead of Misako Miyahara (JPN) who was 2nd in 2:29:37. Kumi Araki and Eriko
      Asai from Japan followed in 2:31:40 and 2:32:13 respectively. Then came Renata
      Kokowska (POL,2:33:38) and Emma Scaunich (ITA,2:34:17).
      30 Years Ago- Ron Hill (ENG) won the Bermuda (BER) Marathon in 2:26:13 with Kyriakis Lazaridis (GRE)
      2nd in 2:26:37. Deborah Butterfield (USA) won the women's race in 3:00:16.
      40 Years Ago- Patrick McMahon (IRL) won the World Masters (NV/USA) Marathon in 2:21:14 with Americans
      Stephen Matthews (2:23:31) and Eugene Comroe (2:23:33) following. Joyce Voelker (USA)
      was the only woman to finish (5:32:). This race is now known as the Las Vegas Marathon.
      50 Years Ago- Nothing of note in the ARRS database.
      From The Analytical Distance Runner, the newsletter for the Association of Road Racing Statisticians with a
      focus on races, 3000m and longer, including road, track, and cross-country

      13. Sports is a strain on fans' hearts:
      In Germany, a study finds a spike in heart attacks on soccer game days. Super Bowl viewers, take heed.
      Talk about heart-stopping games.
      Studying medical records from the 2006 World Cup soccer tournament in Germany, researchers reported Wednesday that they found the
      rate of heart attacks for Munich-area residents more than doubled on days that the German national team played.
      During the two most nerve-racking games for Germany -- a match against Argentina that was won on penalty kicks and one against Italy
      that knocked Germany out of the final -- the heart problems spiked to four to five times the normal rate, said Dr. Gerhard
      Steinbeck, professor of internal medicine and cardiology at the University of Munich and the senior author of the study.
      The study, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, is a clear warning for Super Bowl fans Sunday, said Dr. Riyaz Sumar, an
      intervention cardiologist affiliated with Maryvale Hospital Medical Center in Phoenix, a few miles from the site of the big game.
      Sumar will be one of several cardiologists and extra nurses on call all weekend. "Once it gets too exciting, I'll be standing in the
      ER, waiting for them to come in," he said.
      The study confirms what sports fans have long known: It's heart-pounding to watch your team in a tough spot.
      Science, however, has not been so certain. Previous studies looking at the relationship between sporting events and cardiac
      emergencies have found contradictory results.
      More...from the LA Times at:

      14. Eating to Recover …
      What should I eat and drink and how much should I consume to ensure my body recovers quickly and efficiently after exercise? This is
      an important question for anyone who takes part in regular exercise. As we grow older we need to ensure we give our bodies the best
      opportunity to fully recover from the strain of physical activity.
      Everyone, from the well-drilled and talented professional athletes to the majority of us who play sport simply for fun, can benefit
      from a good nutritional recovery plan.
      Regardless of the amount of planning or fluid intake during exercise some dehydration from sweat loss and depletion of the body's
      energy stores will occur.
      Whether you're keen to get back into training as quickly as possible, have to compete the next day or even later the same day, or
      just don't want to fall asleep at the desk, there are a number of steps you can take that will speed up your body’s recovery post
      Perhaps the most important part of nutritional recovery is knowing exactly when to eat and drink after exercise. It is recommended
      that eating and drinking after exercise and competition should be done as quickly as possible. Research suggests that carbohydrates
      consumed within two hours of the completion of exercise restores energy levels more quickly and more thoroughly.
      More...from the 2009 World Masters Games at:

      15. The Glass Ceiling:
      By Matt Russ
      What happens when your hard work as an athlete stops paying off…
      Each and every athlete has a limited peak performance potential and amount of time to achieve it. That is an unfortunate and often
      misunderstood fact. If this were not the case, the endurance athlete that worked the hardest, longest, and trained the smartest
      would win every championship. There are a wide variety of factors that will determine your lifetime PR, many of which are in your
      control, many of which are not. Understanding this may work to your advantage.
      What separates an Elite athlete from an age grouper? What separates a National Champion from other Elites? What does a World
      Champion have that the rest of us do not? To begin; (literally) genetics. Just as your DNA determines your height, eye color, and
      physical features is also determines to a very large extent how far you will go in a particular endurance sport. There are many,
      many complex physical factors and processes that genetics determine in regards to athletic performance. To name a few…
      · Size and stroke volume of the heart
      · Size / surface area of the lungs
      · Muscle fiber type, orientation, and cross section
      · Capillary and mitochondrial density
      · Tendon thickness, length, and muscle origin / insertion
      · Bone length
      · Response to training / recovery
      According to Noakes, “VO2 max is ultimately limited by hereditary factors, and even with the most intensive training it can be
      increased by only 5%-15% in the average runner (Elites… by 25% or more with intensive training).” That means one of the primary
      factors affecting your performance is only moderately trainable.
      More...from the Sport Factory at:

      16. Stress fractures: an invisible enemy:
      UCLA researchers seek risk factors for the micro-injuries that can undermine a runner's career.
      THE adage "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" doesn't always apply to distance runners.
      Promising running careers can be interrupted or cut short -- and training goals derailed -- by overuse injuries known as stress
      fractures. Repeated pounding causes these tiny breaks in bones in the feet, legs and hips.
      Even casual runners aren't immune. Seven-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong suffered through a stress fracture when he ran
      the New York Marathon for the first time after retiring from cycling competition.
      Runners, coaches and sports medicine experts alike are trying to figure out how athletes can train hard without risking these
      painful injuries. At UCLA, researchers are attempting to establish what predisposes runners to stress fractures in order to prevent
      "Normally, running is good for bones, but more is not always better," says Dr. Aurelia Nattiv, a professor at the David Geffen
      School of Medicine at UCLA and a physician for the UCLA track and field team.
      More...from the LA Times at:

      17. Yoga for Runners:
      A DVD is now available to help you discover the benefits of yoga, especially tailored to the needs of runners! Christine Felstead’s
      Yoga for Runners™: the essentials includes segments on:
      • Foundations
      • Lower Back
      • Hamstrings
      • Hips
      The yoga program can be tailored to the time you have available – either the entire 45 minute program or any of the 12 minute
      segments. While the yoga sequences are designed for those new to yoga, it is also beneficial for those with yoga experience,
      providing an ideal post-run yoga practice. Improve your running, reduce your risk of injury and feel better with yoga! Order your
      copy at www.yogaforrunners.ca

      18. Digest Briefs:
      * Super Oxygenated Water
      Is It Any Better Than Tap Water?
      Super oxygenated waters manufacturers claim it provides more energy, greater mental awareness and concentration than regular tap
      water. Although they contain ten times the oxygen content of normal tap water there is no evidence that the body absorbs more
      oxygen. Research on the products didn't find any benefit to resting heart rate, blood pressure or blood lactate values. According to
      the resear, the are only two ways to carry oxygen in the blood is when it is bound to hemoglobin or dissolved in the plasma. In most
      people hemoglobin is already 97 to 98 percent saturated with oxygen.
      The bottom line is that there is no scientific evidence to support that drinking super oxygenated water increases the amount of
      oxygen in the blood stream.
      For exercisers the important thing is to maintain proper hydration because dehydration leads to muscle fatigue and loss of
      coordination. To prevent dehydration drink moderately before, during and after a workout.

      *Please verify event dates with the event websites*

      February 2, 2008:
      East Beach Norfolk Half Marathon - Norfolk, VA

      Winter National Capital Invitational - Ottawa, ON

      Winterlude Triathlon - Ottawa, ON

      February 3, 2008:
      Surf City USA Marathon - Huntington Beach, CA

      Saturday, June 21, 2008
      Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K race for Women

      mailto:webmaster@... to notify us of the problem. To update your Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the

      Runner's Web
      mailto: webmaster@...
      A running and triathlon resource portal
      Runner's Web Online Store

      All revenue from advertisers and affiliate programs goes into the support of running and triathlon through sponsorship of events,
      teams, clinics and fund raising programs for Canada's Olympic athletes.

      XM Satellite Radio

      Free Ground Shipping on Orders of $175 or More at Patagonia.com

      Peak Performance Online:

      Carmichael Training Systems at:

      Your very own personal trainer at a fraction of the cost

      Check out TotalWellness's mp3 Personal Training Program - only 5% the Cost of Regular Personal Training!

      Geezer Jock Magazine, The Masters Sports & Fitness Magazine

      Athletes, Coaches, Trainers and Physio's
      ..new software designs unlimited stretching routines with ease!
      Design unlimited stretching routines today, starting from scratch, in under 60 seconds!

      Mental Strength Training Center:

      National Bike Registry

      Buy Paula Radcliffe's book, My Story - So Far, from Amazon UK at:

      Endurance Films
      Triathlon Training DVDs

      Instant Stretching Routines
      Design unlimited stretching routines today, starting from scratch, in under 60 seconds!

      ShoeWallet.com has set out on a mission to enable people to easily carry ID and medical information at all times. Basically, anyone
      who is out on the roads or trails needs a convenient place to carry this vital information.

      SportsShoes in the UK

      Visit on AssociatesShop.com Online Bookstore for running and triathlon books:

      TrainingPeaks.com by Wes Hobson.
      Find the training program that fits you at:

      TriSwim Coach - The Complete Guide to Triathlon Swimming

      If you have an accident while running or cycling, do you want your family to be contacted? Do you want to receive immediate and
      proper medical treatment?
      If so, make this cool item part of your gear -- for safety and peace of mind. Road ID has created 4 awesome ways for athletes to
      wear ID: the SHOE, the WRIST, the ANKLE, and the NECK. Get your RoadID at:

      The Stretching Handbook:
      The Stretching Video in a DVD version. With the DVD version you're able to use the convenient menu facility to:
      * Go directly to a specific stretch;
      * View only stretches for a specific muscle group;
      * Pause each stretch to get a good look at how it is performed;
      * View only the introduction and rules for safe stretching; or
      * Play the entire video from start to finish.
      Buy the DVD at:

      This newsletter has been composed using Outlook set to "Text" format. The Digest is sent via an email list at
      If you experience any delays in receiving your copy of the Digest, please advise us at:
      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for viruses.
      Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor (me) prior to being released to the group. If you have any questions regarding
      the options available for receiving this digest,
      **[ Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two lines. If you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you paste
      the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or another appropriate suffix ].
      Note: An increasing number of media sites require free registration. If you wish to sign up for free access to sources for our
      articles without using your main email address we suggest the use of a mail alias program such as http://www.emailias.com.