Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest - December 7, 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2007
      those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out
      our daily news, features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more. General questions should be posted to one of our forums available
      from our FrontPage.

      SUPPORT OUR ADVERTISERS:
      All of the revenue from our advertisers and affiliates goes to support clubs, athletes and clinics related to multisport and
      Canadian Olympians.

      1. Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women - Canada's Fastest Women's 5K
      November 10, 2007: Prize Money Announced for Teams
      RunnersWeb.com Inc. is pleased to announce the addition of $2,250 in prize money for the top teams for the 2008 Emilie's Run. This
      prize money is in addition to the previously announced $5,500 in individual prize money for the top open and masters runners and the
      primes for the leaders at 1 through 4K.
      The team prize money will be allocated as follows:
      1st (Open): $1,000,
      2nd:$750,
      3rd: $500
      A maximum of 5 entrants per team, top 3 to score.
      The 2008 edition of Emilie's Run will take place on Saturday, June 21st at the Aviation Museum in Ottawa with $5,500 in cash prizes
      for the top open and masters and merchandise prizes for the top teams and age-groupers.
      There will also be a 1K run for children.
      For more on the race visit the website at:
      http://www.emiliesrun.com.
      Join Emilie's Run Community and contribute at:
      http://groups-beta.google.com/group/emiliesrun?hl=en

      3. Road Runner Sports, the world's largest running store at:
      New Arrivals from Nike With Web Exclusive Apparel and More!

      4. Toronto Waterfront Marathon, 2008
      http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/

      5. 26.2 with Donna:
      The National Marathon to Fight Breast Cancer
      "The only U.S. marathon dedicated solely to raising funds to end breast cancer."
      February 17, 2008 8 a.m.
      Location: Near Mayo Clinic
      Jacksonville, Florida
      Beneficiaries: Donna Hicken Foundation and Mayo Clinic
      Proceeds from the race will go directly to The Donna Hicken Foundation, a charitable organization dedicated to helping women with
      breast cancer. While a portion of the proceeds will be used by the Donna Hicken Foundation for the critical care of breast cancer
      survivors in need, the foundation has pledged to donate the majority of funds raised to Mayo Clinic for research and its
      Multidisciplinary Breast Clinic, which specializes in the detection and treatment of breast cancer.
      Visit the website at: http://www.breastcancermarathon.com

      6. Training Peaks
      Training Peaks, LLC is dedicated to the endurance athlete and coach. With our industry leading software products, we're committed to
      help you monitor, analyze and plan your training. We encourage you to draw on our passion for excellence to help you reach your
      athletic dreams. Trusted by thousands. Dedicated to you.
      http://www.trainingpeaks.com/

      7. Running Free
      Running Free is a complete online running store with everything for the casual to serious runner.
      They also have retail stores in the GTA (Toronto) and Markham.
      Check them out at:
      http://www.runningfree.com

      ASSOCIATIONS:
      The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional Organization for the Running Industry.

      Check the "New Subscribers' note at the bottom of the newsletter

      Webmasters:
      Get our Syndicated headlines for your site.
      Add the Runner's Web News feed to your site through a simple JavaScript.
      Check out OnTri.com's implementation at:
      http://www.ontri.com/runnersweb.html
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is now available through an RSS feed for myYahoo at:

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet Explorer from the link on our FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com . We have added a button for Lauren Groves, Triathlete.

      If anyone is looking for a web mail provider, you might wish to consider Google's GMail. You can now sign up for free Gmail at
      Google WITHOUT AN INVITATION at:
      www.gmail.com

      Race Directors:
      Advertise your event on the Runner's Web.

      I've created a Runner's Web Group on Facebook.
      To join the NCRA Facebook group, if you are not a member of Facebook, you must first create a free Facebook account at
      www.facebook.com. Once you have your own space, search "Runner's Web" under "Groups". At the Runner's Web site, click "Join this
      group". Once I have approved your request to join, you'll be able to visit the site, post race photos, discuss training tips, and
      share information about running, racing and training.

      Finish Line is offering Free Shipping now through December 11th on orders over $75.
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000022963564&pubid=21000000000028567

      us at: mailto:webmaster@... or leave your comments in one of our Forums at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/forum.html
      or from our FrontPage.

      We have 2,320 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe
      at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RunnersWeb/join .

      ACTIVE.COM
      RunnersWeb.com has teamed up with Active Trainer coaches to offer training programs that are a balance of aerobic, anaerobic and
      cross-training workouts. These training programs are built to get people of all levels across the finish line. From the first timer
      to the seasoned veteran you will find the right training plan for you. Good luck with your training and we will see you at the
      finish line.
      Training Log and Analysis:
      Log your daily workouts and monitor your progress along the way.
      Getting Started:
      Set a realistic goal for training. Review the list of training programs developed by Active Trainer Coaches. Select the program that
      best matches your current training schedule. If you have been inactive, select a conservative schedule to assure success and
      decrease the risk of injury. Plug in the start date or the date of your target race and go! The schedule will automatically be
      entered into your log. It is as simple as that...
      Training:
      Select the daily email to receive your training by the day or log on to your account and review the entire schedule. Use the
      interactive log to enter in valuable training information. The more information you enter in your personal log, the better. You will
      be able to use this information in the future to evaluate performance, keep track of what works and what doesn't and stay motivated
      to see just how far you've come.
      Sign up at: www.RunnersWebCoach.com OR http://training.active.com/ActiveTrainer/listing.do?listing=51

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey.
      Sheila is one of Ottawa's top multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public
      Health and works in the field of nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the University of California, San Diego. Her
      column index is available at:

      * Carmichael Training Systems
      Carmichael Training Systems was founded in 1999 by Chris Carmichael.
      From the beginning, the mission of the company has been to improve the lives of individuals we work with through the application of
      proper and effective fitness and competitive training techniques. Whether your focus is recreational, advanced, or you are a
      professional racer, the coaching methodology employed by CTS will make you a better athlete. Check the latest monthly column from
      CTS at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/cts_columns.html.
      Carmichael Training Systems at:
      http://www.trainright.com/promos.asp?code=DSBYBFCSP

      * Peak Performance Online
      Peak Performance is a subscription-only newsletter for athletes, featuring the latest research from the sports science world. We
      cover the whole range of sports, from running and rowing to cycling and swimming, and each issue is packed full of exclusive
      information for anyone who's serious about sport. It's published 16 times a year, including four special reports, by Electric Word
      plc. Peak Performance is not available in the shops - only our subscribers are able to access the valuable information we publish.
      Visit the PPO site at:
      Peak Performance Online:

      * Peak Running Performance
      Peak Running Is The Nation's Most Advanced Running Newsletter. Rated as the #1 Running Publication by Road Runner Sports (Worlds
      Largest Running Store) , Peak Running caters to the serious / dedicated runner. Delivering world class running advice are some of
      running's most recognizable athletes including Dr. Joe Vigil (US Olympic Coach),
      Scott Tinley (2 Time Ironman Champ) Steve Scott (3 Time Olympian) and many more. This bi-monthly newsletter has been around for over
      13 years, and in the past two it has been awarded the "Golden Shoe Award" in recognition of it's outstanding achievements.

      Running Research News:
      RRN's free, weekly, training update provides subscribers with the most-current, practical, scientifically based information about
      training, sports nutrition, injury prevention, and injury rehabilitation. The purpose of this weekly e-zine is to improve
      subscribers' training quality and to help them train in an injury-free manner.
      Running Research News also publishes a complete, 12-page, electronic newsletter 10 times a year (one-year subscriptions are $35); to
      learn more about Running Research News, please see the Online Article Index and "About Running Research News" sections below or go
      to RRNews.com.
      Check out the article index at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RRN_index.html

      THIS WEEK'S PERSONAL POSTINGS/RELEASES:
      We will only post notes here regarding running and triathlon topics of interest to the community.
      We have NO personal postings this week.

      THIS WEEK'S DIGEST ARTICLE INDEX:

      1. I'm Not Really Running, I'm Not Really Running...
      2. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health e-Zine
      3. This Week in Running
      4. Start sweating: A new bacterial strain may be flexing at your gym
      5. The Importance of Dietary Alkalinity for Runners
      6. Skip energy bars; a balanced diet is all exercisers need
      7. Motivation, How to Get It and How To Keep It
      8. Pregnant pause: Experts re-evaluate their recommendations for pregnant women
      9. Canberra testing to find cure for Beijing
      10. Female and male performance times
      11. Raul credits ice baths and sleeping at high altitude for improved performance
      12. Exercise Helps Keep Your Psyche Fit
      Exercise is an effective, cost-effective treatment for depression and may help in the treatment of other mental disorders.
      13. A Matter of Survival
      Training to combat fatigue.
      14. Fueling the Runner: Anti-Oxidants
      Are they Buzz-worthy?
      15. The Coaching Files: Setting Up a Swanky Indoor Training Space
      16. Fitness trumps fatness in longevity study
      17. Hyperoxic Training: Going Deep to Go Fast
      18. Cold Season's Here
      19. Menstruation & exercise

      "Which of the following is the toughest endurance event?
      Badwater Ultramarathon
      Ironman Hawaii
      Olympic Marathon
      Olympic Triathlon
      Tour de France?"

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage ( http://www.runnersweb.com) as well as checking the results of previous polls.

      LAST WEEK'S POLL RESULTS:
      "Will Paula Radcliffe win the women's Olympic Marathon in Beijing?"
      Answers Percent
      1. Yes 62%
      2. No 27%
      3. No opinion 12%

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE MONTH: Cynthia Wilson, Canadian Triathlete.
      Cynthia is a 33 year-old triathlete who is a Physics PhD candidate at the University of Ottawa. She recently placed 11th pro at the
      Ford Ironman World Championship 70.3 in Clearwater, FLA in a time of 4:20:01.
      Check out her blog and Harley's blog (Harley is Cynthia's cat!) at:
      http://www.cycnthiawilson.ca

      BOOK/VIDEO OF THE MONTH: Canadian Marathon Stories.
      ""Linda Wagar's selected stories convey the spirit and spark of a new wave of marathon enthusiasts. It is enriching to share in the
      realization of so many unsuspected capabilities in this most basic of human activities."
      ~ Ron Wallingford, author, former Canadian record holder in the 5000m, 3000m steeplechase and marathon.
      The Canadian Athletes Now fund receives $10 from the sale of each book.
      Visit the website where you can buy the book online at:
      http://www.marathonstories.ca/

      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html and

      1. I'm Not Really Running, I'm Not Really Running...
      BILL MORGAN, an emeritus professor of kinesiology at the University of Wisconsin, likes to tell the story, which he swears is true,
      of an Ivy League pole vaulter who held the Division 1 record in the Eastern region.
      His coaches and teammates, though, noticed that he could jump even higher. Every time he cleared the pole, he had about a foot to
      spare. But if they moved the bar up even an inch, the vaulter would hit it every time. One day, when the vaulter was not looking,
      his teammates raised the bar a good six inches. The man vaulted over it, again with a foot to spare.
      When his teammates confessed, the pole vaulter could not believe it. But, Dr. Morgan added, "once he saw what he had done, he walked
      away from the jumping pit and never came back."
      After all, Dr. Morgan said, everyone would expect him to repeat that performance. And how could he?
      The moral of the story? No matter how high you jump, how fast you run or swim, how powerfully you row, you can do better. But
      sometimes your mind gets in the way.
      "All maximum performances are actually pseudo-maximum performances," Dr. Morgan said. "You are always capable of doing more than you
      are doing."
      One of my running partners, Claire Brown, the executive director of Princeton in Latin America, a nonprofit group, calls it mind
      over mind-over-body.
      She used that idea in June in the Black Bear triathlon in Lehighton, Pa., going all-out when she saw a competitor drawing close. She
      won her age group (30 to 34) for the half-Ironman distance, coming in fourth among the women.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/06/health/nutrition/06Best.html?_r=2&ref=health&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

      2. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health e-Zine:
      * Exercise May Speed Healing Time
      Animal studies suggest that exercise may be even more important for older people than for younger ones. A report from the
      University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign shows that exercise significantly decreased wound size and increased healing rate in
      older mice. However, exercise had little effect on the rate of wound healing in young mice. (American Journal of Physiology -
      Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology, November 14, 2007).
      Mice ran on a treadmill at moderate intensity for 30 minutes a day for eight days. They then were given four full-thickness skin
      wounds and the rate of wound healing was checked daily for 10 days. Compared to age-matched non-exercising mice, the older
      exercisers healed faster.
      The leading theory is that aging delays wound healing presumably because aging causes your body to produce more free radicals that
      damage the genetic material in cells. After
      you eat, food travels into mitochondria, small areas in cells that turn food into energy. They do this by removing electrons and
      hydrogen from nutrients. The electrons then attach to oxygen to form free radicals that stick to and damage the genetic material DNA
      in cells. This can delay healing and presumably even shorten life. Exercise causes the mitochondria to turn food into energy
      without producing as many free radicals, and therefore could hasten healing from any type of injury or illness.
      From Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine at: http://www.drmirkin.com

      3. This Week in Running:
      10 Years Ago- Kim Goff (USA) won the BET Run Barbados (BAR) Marathon for the 5th time, defeating
      Gillian Horovitz (ENG), 2:57:19 to 3:03:26. Goff would win this race six more times.
      Eddy Hellebuyck (BEL) won the men's race in 2:31:12, a scant one second over Hugh
      Jones (ENG). It should be noted that Hugh has 23 marathon wins to his credit, over
      a period of 25y332d which is the #3 longest span for men.
      20 Years Ago- Trevor Fieldsend (ENG) won the Firenze (ITA) Marathon in 2:16:33, ahead of Italians
      Alberto Lucherini (2:17:40) and Fausto Molinari (2:19:26). The same pattern occurred
      in the women's race with Carolyn Naisby (ENG) leading a string of Italians, 2:33:23 to
      2:44:17 for Lucia Bertelli and 2:46:47 for Paola Fedeli.
      30 Years Ago- Ulf-Hakan Spik (FIN) won the Western Hemisphere (CA/USA) Marathon in 2:17:48.5 while
      2nd placer Ed Schelegle won the USA title with a 2:18:11. Joseph Carlson (USA) was
      3rd in 2:20:13 and Dave Babiracki (USA) was 4th in 2:20:38. Jacqueline Hansen (USA)
      won the women's race in 2:50:53 with Katherine Jewell (USA) next in 3:01:35.
      40 Years Ago- Bill Clark (USA) won the William Ruthrauff (PA/USA) Marathon in 2:24:22.8. He was followed
      by Robert Scharf (USA) in 2:24:28.4, Herb Lorenz (USA) in 2:33:24, and Frank Pflaging (USA)
      in 2:42:11. Author Tom Osler (USA) was 5th in 2:42:25 while USA Olympian Ted Corbitt
      was 7th in 2:52:51 (at age 48). Sue Morse (USA) was the first woman finisher in 3:57:49.
      This marathon is still active and is now known as the Philadelphia Marathon.
      50 Years Ago- Thomas Albert (AUS) won a 3 mile track race in Melbourne AUS with a time of 13:25.9.
      From The Analytical Distance Runner, the newsletter for the Association of Road Racing Statisticians with a
      focus on races, 3000m and longer, including road, track, and cross-country events.

      4. Start sweating: A new bacterial strain may be flexing at your gym:
      When Kathy Magilton goes to a gym, she opens the door with her sleeve. She uses hand sanitizer numerous times. She places a towel on
      every bench she uses. She wipes down every machine with disinfectant before and after she touches it - not to mention any phone she
      uses while on the premises.
      Even a few years ago, Ms. Magilton, a personal trainer, would have been considered a fastidious, obsessive germophobe. But today,
      she's merely exercising reasonable caution about her health and the health of those around her.
      The stakes are higher at gyms across North America this season, according to health experts. In addition to the usual threats -
      athlete's foot, colds and flu - experts say there could be another health danger lurking at the gym.
      A new strain of the bacteria called methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus, or MRSA, is spreading fairly rapidly across Canada,
      says Michael Mulvey of the National Microbiology Lab in Winnipeg.
      The enclosed gym environment, with its bare skin, sweaty equipment and dirty towels can be particularly kind to the bacterium, which
      often shows up as skin lesions such as boils. While it may clear up on its own, if left untreated it can infect the bloodstream,
      urinary tract, lungs and heart.
      So while gym-going has always been a communal experience, gym devotees are increasingly aware of their responsibilities to each
      other. "It's a shared experience," says Janet Emmett, the vice president of association services and leadership development at YMCA
      Canada.
      More...from the Globe and Mail at:
      http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20071130.wldirtygym30/BNStory/lifeMain/

      5. The Importance of Dietary Alkalinity for Runners:
      Ok, you might be wondering. "What on earth is alkalinity and what does it have to do with my running performance?"
      Well, very simply it refers to a pH reading that is opposite of acidic. The pH scale operates from 0 to 14 with 0 being the most
      acidic reading and 14 the most alkaline. 7 represents a neutral level. When you consume and digest foods they are broken down and
      become acid-forming or alkaline-forming in your body. The difference between the two is crucial to understand.
      Naturally, your body wants to be slightly alkaline. However, there are specific areas in your body which need to be slightly more
      acidic, such as the stomach and urinary tract, in order to properly perform their functions. Our most important tissue - the blood -
      needs to be slightly alkaline. Specifically, it needs to be between 7.35-7.45.
      I'd like you to consider all the arteries (blood vessels) in your body. The blood vessels are your body's highways for transporting
      your blood, or your "river of life". Your blood is what transports oxygen and nutrients to all of your body's cells while helping
      remove waste products produced in the cells. The blood is probably the most important tissue in your entire body - without it
      functioning properly, you die!
      More...from Total Wellness at:
      http://www.totalwellnessconsulting.ca/alkalinity_runners.htm

      6. Skip energy bars; a balanced diet is all exercisers need
      Energy bars. Performance drinks. Gels. Gu. Sport Beans. Shot Blocks. All doused with a whey protein shake. By the time you're done
      with the concoctions being marketed to help you work out, there may be half a day's worth of calories consumed and not much to show
      for it - aside from a bit of extra flab.
      The landscape these days is thick with sometimes-conflicting advice about how, what and when you should eat and drink to get the
      most out of your workout: Exercising on an empty stomach burns more fat ... eating fat before a workout burns more fat ... eating
      right after a workout burns more fat ... not eating after a workout burns more fat.
      Gatorade and the other sports-drink companies make it seem as if casual sweating requires an Olympic refueling. For the vast
      majority of us, however, life can be simpler. Unless you are preparing for a competition or an endurance event or exercising hard
      for a long time, deciding what and when to eat is not complicated.
      The "what" is plain old food, the stuff the nutrition bureaucrats keep lecturing us about: fruit, vegetables, grains and protein, in
      reasonable balance.
      The "when" is whenever it feels right. Don't like to exercise on an empty stomach? Have a small snack an hour or so beforehand.
      Inclined to stomach cramps? Skip the pre-exercise fueling. Don't have time to eat afterward? No worry. The standard trip to the gym
      won't run you down enough to demand immediate attention.
      When it comes to liquids, stick to water unless you are pushing beyond 90 minutes or so.
      More...from the Denver Post at:
      http://www.denverpost.com/ci_7607372?source=rss

      7. Motivation, How to Get It and How To Keep It:
      Motivation
      Most days, you probably love running. Particularly when the weather's nice. When you feel good. When everything's going well in your
      life.
      Then there are the other days. Days when it's pouring buckets of rain. Or below freezing and snowing. Or maybe you've put on a few
      pounds. You're feeling depressed. You're bored. You're tired. The last thing you want to do is lace up your shoes and head out the
      door!
      Guess what? Everyone who runs has had those feelings at one time or another. Even those elite, speedy athletes who win big races and
      get paid to run. No one's immune to a lack of motivation. It happens to the best. So, the first thing you must remember when you
      start having these feelings is: you're not the only one! It helps to know others out there have experienced the same feelings, and
      have worked through them. You can, too!
      Set a Goal
      Think back to what first got you running. Something motivated you, didn't it? Maybe you wanted to lose weight. Or you made a bet
      with a friend that you could run a 10K. Or you ran in school and wanted to recapture that feeling. Whatever the reason, your
      motivation pushed you to succeed. You disciplined yourself to run be-cause you had a goal.
      Any runner will tell you that having a goal is the best motivation. World and national class runners usually have goals relating to
      racing. They want to run a personal record (PR) or they want to win a championship race. Gordon Bakoulis, former editor-in-chief of
      Running Times and a four-time Olympic Marathon Trials qualifier, motivates herself to do workouts by thinking about "why" she's
      doing the workout.
      "I focus on my race goals. I don't do hard workouts just for the sake of doing them; the purpose is to prepare for racing. I always
      have a goal race or a series of races on the horizon that are my reason to train hard."
      More...from Road Runner Sports at:
      http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/content/content.jsp?contentId=300113

      8. Pregnant pause: Experts re-evaluate their recommendations for pregnant women:
      Eating for two may mean packing on a few less pounds if recent studies on weight gain in pregnancy lead to a change in weight gain
      guidelines, as many expect.
      Since 1990, most U.S. doctors have followed weight gain recommendations put together by the Institute of Medicine, an advisory
      medical group of doctors and scientists.
      The guidelines suggest that women with a normal body mass index gain 25 to 35 pounds when pregnant, while underweight women should
      gain up to 40 pounds, overweight women 15 to 25 pounds and obese women 15 pounds. Similar recommendations are common in Britain;
      slightly less weight gain is recommended in Canada, and about 10 pounds less is the suggestion in Japan. The U.S. weight
      recommendations were adopted with an eye to decreasing the number of low birth weight babies.
      But the guidelines are now being reconsidered in the wake of new data and the worry by doctors that the weight-gain recommendations
      have had unintended effects, leading to an increase in diabetes in pregnant women, a greater incidence of preeclampsia, more
      cesarean sections and a jump in the number of babies weighing more than 9 pounds.
      "Since 1990, the demographics have dramatically changed. We're seeing an obesity epidemic. We're seeing too many babies born too
      large," says Linda Barbour, co-director of the Diabetes in Pregnancy and High Risk Obstetric Clinics at the University of Colorado
      and Denver Health Sciences Center. "There's also an appreciation that women who gained too much weight (while pregnant) have a very
      difficult time losing weight between pregnancies."
      Even more worrisome: Some studies indicate that large babies may be at greater risk for childhood obesity. An April study in the
      American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology of more than 1,000 mothers and their babies found that women who gained the
      recommended amount of weight had four times the risk of having a child who was overweight at age 3, than those who gained less
      weight during pregnancy.
      Barbour is among several researchers using a National Institutes of Health grant to study fetal programming, looking at how fat
      storage and possibly appetite is affected in utero.
      More...from the Daily Camera at:
      http://dailycamera.com/news/2007/dec/03/04pcov/

      9. Canberra testing to find cure for Beijing:
      SEVERAL of Australia's elite athletes are preparing for the extreme heat and humidity expected at the Beijing Olympics.
      Athletics Australia and the AIS have combined to invite the cream of middle-distance runners to Canberra for a series of tests this
      week to help their buildup to the Games in August.
      National 800m champion Tamsyn Lewis said the tests, which have included exercises to determine oxygen capacity and better ways to
      deal with dehydration, had been vital in her preparation for the Games.
      "It is a fantastic initiative by the AIS and Athletics Australia and we are gaining so much valuable information that will help us
      in Beijing," Lewis said.
      "This has never happened before a Games that I've competed in and it shows just how committed our federation is to making sure we
      are best prepared. Athens was tough in 2004 but it's nothing compared to the conditions we'll get in Beijing."
      The week-long camp will culminate with a meeting at the AIS tomorrow.
      Lewis will be tested for sweat loss and medical staff will determine ways she can best avoid the severe cramping she suffered at
      this year's world titles in Osaka.
      More...from the Herald-Sun at:
      http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22843919-14822,00.html

      10. Female and male performance times:
      Female and male athletes seem to respond to training in a comparable manner. As the quantity or intensity of training increases,
      aerobic capacity (V02max) shoots upward, body fat tends to decrease, and performance improves, regardless of gender.
      In spite of these parallel responses, males frequently achieve better performance times than similarly trained females. Part of the
      reason for this is that males routinely engage in a perfectly legal, natural form of 'blood doping'. The key male sex hormone -
      testosterone - promotes the production of haemoglobin, the oxygen-carrying protein found inside red blood cells, and testosterone
      also increases the concentration of red cells in the blood. The key female sex hormone, oestrogen, has no such effect. As a result,
      each litre of male blood contains about 150-160 grams of haemoglobin, compared to only 130-140 grams for females. The bottom line is
      that each litre of male blood can carry about 11 per cent more oxygen than a similar quantity of female blood.
      Strangely enough, male world records at distances from 800 metres all the way up to the marathon are also about 11 per cent faster
      than female world marks. Is that just a coincidence, or does the 11 per cent enhancement of blood oxygen in males produce the 11 per
      cent improvement in running speeds? Since oxygen is needed to furnish most of the energy required for endurance running, some
      scientists have suspected that the 11 per cent oxygen difference is indeed the key factor behind male-female performance variation.
      More...from Peak Performance Online at:
      http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0240.htm

      11. Raul credits ice baths and sleeping at high altitude for improved performance:
      Raul Gonzalez's ice-cold precision on the soccer field is no fluke.
      The Real Madrid striker is bathing in ice and sleeping in high-altitude conditions, and he's off to his best start in nearly a
      decade with eight goals in 14 Spanish league matches.
      "I've done it because of the love I have for this team and this club, and I have never thought about how it could hurt me," Raul
      said Tuesday about his ice baths, which can last up to 10 minutes.
      Spanish media recently reported that the 30-year-old striker had converted his bedroom into a hypoxic chamber which simulates
      high-altitude conditions.
      The practice, which is used by some NBA and NFL teams, increases the number of oxygen-rich red blood cells in the body to improve
      endurance, reduce fatigue and speed up recovery.
      Marathon world record holder Paula Radcliffe and rugby player Jonny Wilkinson also enjoy ice baths, which can aid recovery and
      improve respiration.
      More...from the International Herald Tribune at:
      http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/12/04/sports/EU-SPT-SOC-Rauls-Regimen.php#end_main

      12. Exercise Helps Keep Your Psyche Fit:
      Exercise is an effective, cost-effective treatment for depression and may help in the treatment of other mental disorders.
      Findings
      You know that exercise is good for your body. Among other facts, exercise decreases the risk of coronary heart disease and stroke
      and related factors, decreases the risk of various cancers, lowers blood pressure, improves metabolism, reduces problems related to
      diabetes, assists in the maintenance of bone density, and improves your immune system.
      But did you know that exercise is also good for your head? The most common treatments for depression, for example, are psychotherapy
      or medication. Psychologists have found that exercise is a third successful alternative. In a 1990 meta-analysis (an analysis that
      statistically summarized eighty studies of exercise and depression), a research team that included psychologist Penny McCullagh,
      PhD, reached the following conclusions:
      ~ Exercise was a beneficial antidepressant both immediately and over the long term.
      ~ Although exercise decreased depression among all populations studied, it was most effective in decreasing depression for those
      most physically and/or psychologically unhealthy at the start of the exercise program.
      ~ Although exercise significantly decreased depression across all age categories, the older people were (the ages ranged from eleven
      to fifty-five), the greater the decrease in depression with exercise.
      ~ Exercise was an equally effective antidepressant for both genders.
      ~ Walking and jogging were the most frequent forms of exercise that had been researched, but all modes of exercise examined,
      anaerobic as well as aerobic, were effective in lessening depression at least to some degree.
      ~ The greater the length of the exercise program and the larger the total number of exercise sessions, the greater the decrease in
      depression with exercise.
      ~ The most powerful antidepressant effect occurred with the combination of exercise and psychotherapy.
      More...from Psychology Matters at:
      http://www.psychologymatters.org/exercise.html

      13. A Matter of Survival:
      Training to combat fatigue.
      One of my first encounters with fatigue occurred when I had mononucleosis my senior year in high school (that's what I get for
      kissing that girl). I was so fatigued that I had to sit in the back of the classroom so I could put my head on my desk and go to
      sleep--forget about running during track practice. Running, even when healthy, however, represents a different kind of fatiguel: an
      acute, heavy, dead-legged feeling that makes you want to slow down, stop, and sometimes--usually around mile 22 of the
      marathon--curl up in a ditch and take a nap. Runners are as intimate with fatigue as football players are with bruises or ballet
      dancers with blistered toes: Fatigue is an entrance fee to success in our sport.
      It's also a hot topic of scientific research. From a physiologist's perspective, fatigue is the inability to maintain or repeat a
      given level of muscle force production, resulting in an acute impairment of performance, i.e., you slow down. Exactly why muscle
      force production declines is a difficult thing to pin down. Because there are so many things happening simultaneously when muscles
      are working hard, it is difficult to determine the exact cause of fatigue. Fatigue takes many different forms. Runners know that the
      fatigue associated with the 800 meters is not like the fatigue associated with the marathon. However, all causes of fatigue have one
      thing in common: They lead to a decrease in effective muscle force production.
      Fatigue is not something specific to slow or average runners. Even world record holders fatigue; they just do it later in a run and
      from a much faster pace than the rest of us. Indeed, fatigue is necessary to protect our bodies from damage. However, the only way
      to get faster is to cause some damage so the fatigue occurs at a faster pace. To do that, you must repeatedly threaten the body's
      survival with training stimuli so that your body adapts and physiologically overcompensates. When the same stress is encountered
      again, it does not cause the same degree of physiological disruption. In other words, the body adapts to be able to handle the
      threat.
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/rt/articles/?id=12449

      14. Fueling the Runner: Anti-Oxidants:
      Are they Buzz-worthy?
      Any health conscious person is likely familiar with the benefits of antioxidants in relation to cancer, heart disease, aging,
      diabetes, and other disease related conditions. But have you heard the buzz regarding antioxidants related to athletic performance?
      Does exercise increase the number of "reactive oxygen species"? Does supplementation prevent muscular damage response after an
      event such as a marathon?
      As the antioxidant story unfolds the question is, "Why not try to maximize dietary antioxidant consumption?" Beyond running,
      antioxidants should be consumed for disease prevention. However, for the young-hearted who find it difficult to focus on long-term
      health benefits, let us focus on the relationship of antioxidants and performance.
      Antioxidants protect runners from molecules called reactive oxygen species (ROS). ROS are most commonly seen in the form of free
      radicals and are produced as a normal part of metabolism. However, research has shown that exercise increases the production of
      ROS. The theory is that the increased production of ROS may "overwhelm" the ability of the body to maximize its antioxidant
      defenses. This can lead to cellular damage because of an increase in oxidative stress on the body. This oxidative stress has been
      linked to muscle damage, fatigue, and a reduction in immune function. (1)
      Oxidative stress can potentially hinder performance capabilities. Antioxidants provide your cells with protection against these
      ROS. The ratio of the ROS produced by exercise to the ability of the body to defend against ROS is important in preventing
      oxidative damage. By consuming enough antioxidants one allows the body to work against the cellular damage caused by ROS.
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/rt/articles/?id=12434

      15. The Coaching Files: Setting Up a Swanky Indoor Training Space:
      By Jim Rutberg, CTS Coach
      Though we live for riding outdoors with the warm sun on our backs, at some point in the year we each find ourselves an indoor
      trainer in the basement, garage, or spare room. There's no doubt you're better off riding than sitting on the couch until the
      weather improves, but to maximize the benefits of your trainer time, it's important to properly set up your indoor training space.
      Step 1: Claim your space
      I've noticed personally, and professionally as a coach, that people are more likely to get on the trainer when the environment is
      inviting and convenient. That means you should try to find a space where you can leave the majority of your indoor training
      equipment set up and ready to go at a moment's notice. If you have to drag the trainer, TV, and bike from all over the house every
      time you want to ride, you're not going to bother.
      Step 2: Gather your gear
      There are a few key items that make indoor training more comfortable, effective, and even enjoyable:
      1. Stationary cycling trainer (Blackburn Trakstand Ultra is my first choice, followed by the fluid resistance version)
      2. Front wheel block. Preferably, get one that allows for multiple wheel heights.
      More...from CTS at:
      http://www.trainright.com/articles.asp?uid=3120

      16. Fitness trumps fatness in longevity study:
      When it comes to living longer, fitness may trump fatness, U.S. researchers said on Tuesday.
      Men and women who were fit, as judged by a treadmill test, but were overweight or obese had a lower mortality risk than those of
      normal weight but low fitness levels, the study in the Journal of the American Medical Association showed.
      Exercise expert Steven Blair of the University of South Carolina and colleagues tracked about 2,600 people age 60 and up, examining
      how physical fitness and body fat affected their death rates over 12 years.
      Those in the lowest fifth in terms of fitness had a death rate four times higher than participants ranked in the top fifth for
      fitness.
      "Being fit provides protection against mortality in these men and women 60 and older, whether they're normal weight, overweight or
      obese," Blair said in a telephone interview.
      More...from Reuters at:
      http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSN0450613820071205

      17. Hyperoxic Training: Going Deep to Go Fast:
      Over the past decade, altitude and hypoxic training have progressively become better known and even common among elite cyclists and
      other endurance athletes. From the complete opposite spectrum comes the latest reverse twist on altitude training, and that is to
      use hyperoxia, or training in a higher-than-normal oxygen environment, as a ergogenic aid.
      With the off-season approaching in the Northern Hemisphere, I figure that it might be fun to explore what new technologies or
      training ideas might be on the horizon in the years to come. Some of the articles might involve ideas that seem ridiculous or
      impractical now for most of us, but that's what was once said about things as mundane nowadays as a portable heart rate monitor
      (Francesco Moser's use of a bulky wired HRM for his world hour record in 1984 was considered revolutionary, and helped to popularize
      the concept of scientific training).
      One such idea is the concept of hyperoxic training, doing your hard workouts with a higher-than-normal amount of oxygen.
      Altitude Physiology 101
      The whole concept of exercise at altitude really first boomed in the period prior to the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City. Since that
      time, riders from Eddy Merckx in the 1970s, Francesco Moser in 1984 (both hour records in Mexico City), and most recently Chris Hoy
      in 2007 (Kilo record attempt at La Paz, Bolivia at 3500 m elevation) have utilized the lower air resistance at altitude in their
      attempts at peak performances. I recently discussed the timing of arrival to a competition at altitude.
      More...from Pez Cycling at:
      http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=5456

      18. Cold Season's Here:
      In last September's newsletter, I spoke about the "Annual Back-to-School Cold" and how I was going to avoid it this year. So far, so
      good, I've stayed healthy since. But a couple weeks ago, winter finally arrived in Colorado with bitterly cold mornings, and sure
      enough I started to see boxes of tissues appear throughout the office. The related sound of honking noses and the sniffles could
      only mean one thing, cold season had arrived.
      Seeing all that Kleenex, I was reminded that athletes and active people like you have to be vigilant about protecting yourselves
      from catching the common cold during this time of year. That's because most of you are undoubtedly taking a well deserved break from
      intense workouts as you transition from this past year's training and ramp up for 2008's goals. And while that sounds great in
      theory, I know most of you have replaced the physical stress of training with the stress of the holidays and many end-of-the-year
      deadlines at work. Even worse, this packed schedule usually means that any attempts to enjoy some regular exercise were tossed aside
      well before the Thanksgiving holiday.
      More...from CTS at:
      http://www.trainright.com/articles.asp?uid=3128&p=3122

      19. Menstruation & exercise:
      Why 'the curse' is often lifted for female athletes.
      Absence or cessation of menstrual periods - technically known as amenorrhoea - is a common problem among sportswomen competing at
      high levels in any physically demanding sport, whether it be running, swimming, cycling, martial arts or tennis.
      Intense training of any kind places immense strains on many of the body's systems. Physical and mental processes that regulate human
      biological function can be disrupted and may then take the body on a journey it was never designed for. One system, which is prone
      to disruption - in women, at least - is the reproductive one. And when that happens the first sign is usually interference with
      normal menstruation.
      However, I want to stress at the outset that this sort of problem is not an inevitable consequence of strenuous exercise and that
      reproductive health can be maintained if you know how far to push your body.
      The first menstrual period of an adolescent girl is known as the menarche. Studies have proven that intense exercise can delay the
      onset of menarche by disrupting the hormonal patterns that control menstruation. A girl who has not reached menarche by age 15 would
      be considered abnormal by most doctors. But this does not necessarily imply that she has a medical problem. She may be a late
      starter for genetic reasons. Or it could be that her exercise habit has kept her body fat levels below what is needed to trigger
      menstruation.
      More...from Peak Performance Online at:
      http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0617.htm

      20. Digest Briefs:
      * Gadot launches low GI, tooth-friendly sweetener
      Gadot Biochemical is introducing a sweetener that is suitable for diabetics because of its low glycemic index (GI), while also
      prolonging energy levels and avoiding tooth enamel erosion.
      NRGylose, an isomaltulose sweetener, is digested slower than sucrose, resulting in a low glycemic response but the same caloric
      value as sugar. The energy is released over a longer period of time, and so increases in blood sugar levels remain moderate as do
      increases in insulin levels.
      "This feature makes NRGylose an essential sweetener for diabetics and pre-diabetics," said Ronny Hacham, VP business development and
      marketing. "It also has great benefit in sport nutrition. A marathon runner can maintain a constant blood-sugar level more easily."
      * Scientific Journal Explains How Eritrea's Zersenay Tadese Runs So Fast
      Zersenay Tadese won the bronze medal in the Athens Olympic 10,000, and has since won two IAAF World Road Running Championships and
      the World Cross Country Championships in Mombasa, Kenya, last March. Since Athens, he's lowered his 10,000 best to 26:37.25. Now a
      team of Spanish researchers thinks they know why. In tests in their Madrid laboratory, they found that Tadese has the best running
      economy (ie, lowest oxygen consumption at a steady, submaximal pace) of any runner ever measured. Tadese consumes oxygen at the rate
      of 150 ml/kg/km compared to the 192 of Frank Shorter, the 192 of a group of elite Kenyans, and the 211 of elite Spanish distance
      runners. The 5' 4", 119-pound Tadessse achieves this with a high but not extremely high vo2 max of 83 ml/kg/min, and with a modest
      hematocrit (43.7 percent) that the researchers believe indicates no blood manipulation. What makes him so economical then? The
      researchers think it's mostly due to his thin calf structure (that is, his low body weight below the knee, and hence less mass to
      move forward and back with each stride), about an inch less in diameter than elite Spanish runners. Reported in the British Journal
      of Sports Medicine
      From Runner's World Magazine

      THIS WEEK'S FEATURED EVENTS:
      *Please verify event dates with the event websites*
      Check the Runner's Web FrontPage for links to the race sites.

      December 8, 2007:
      Foot Locker Cross Country Nat'l Championships - San Diego, CA

      Rocket City Marathon - Huntsville, AL

      Rose Bowl Half Marathon & 5K - Pasadena, CA

      Santa Monica-Venice Christmas Runs - 5K / 10K, CA

      Sunmart Texas Trails Endurance Runs - Huntsville, TX

      Tampa Bay Lightning Reindeer Run - Tampa, FL

      Thunder Road Marathon - Charlotte, NC

      Toronto Santa Speedo Run - Toronto, ON

      USATF National Club XC Championships - West Chester, OH

      December 9, 2007:
      European Cross Country Championships - Toro, Spain

      Honolulu Marathon - Honolulu, HI

      Wellstone's Dallas White Rock Marathon - Dallas, TX

      Saturday, June 21, 2008
      Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K race for Women
      http://www.emiliesrun.com

      For Triathlon Coverage check out The Sports Network at:
      http://www2.sportsnet.ca/tvschedule/tvsked_sport.php?region=ONTARIO&schedule_id=25

      mailto:webmaster@... to notify us of the problem. To update your Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the web

      Runner's Web
      mailto: webmaster@...
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html
      A running and triathlon resource portal
      Runner's Web Online Store
      http://store.runnersweb.com
      RunnersWebCoach
      http://www.runnerswebcoach.com

      RUNNER'S WEB AFFILIATE PROGRAMS:
      All revenue from advertisers and affiliate programs goes into the support of running and triathlon through sponsorship of events,
      teams, clinics and fund raising programs for Canada's Olympic athletes.

      SweetskinsZ Bicycle Tires:
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000018791523&pubid=21000000000028567

      XM Satellite Radio
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000021517490

      Puma
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000005110141&pubid=21000000000028567

      Champion
      http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=h1QosBYBFXw&offerid=113858.10000144&type=1&subid=0

      Nike
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000015009821

      Free Ground Shipping on Orders of $175 or More at Patagonia.com
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?lid=41000000012303508&pubid=21000000000028567

      Peak Performance Online:

      Carmichael Training Systems at:
      http://www.trainright.com/promos.asp?code=DSBYBFCSP

      Reebok
      http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/stat?id=h1QosBYBFXw&offerid=117802&type=3&subid=0

      Your very own personal trainer at a fraction of the cost
      http://www.cartville.com/app/?af=473063

      Check out TotalWellness's mp3 Personal Training Program - only 5% the Cost of Regular Personal Training!
      http://www.totalwellnessconsulting.ca/fitter_u_totalwellness.htm

      Geezer Jock Magazine, The Masters Sports & Fitness Magazine
      http://www.geezerjock.com/index.cfm?affID=runnersweb

      Athletes, Coaches, Trainers and Physio's
      ...new software designs unlimited stretching routines with ease!
      Design unlimited stretching routines today, starting from scratch, in under 60 seconds!
      http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/cmd.php?af=245575&u=http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/products/instantstretch.htm

      Mental Strength Training Center:
      http://www.memberstar.com/redir_a.php?LFAId=1027

      National Bike Registry
      http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/stat?id=vVGS2V*0iZg&offerid=21387&type=3&subid=0

      Buy Paula Radcliffe's book, My Story - So Far, from Amazon UK at:
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/074325242X/runnersweb-21

      Endurance Films
      Triathlon Training DVDs
      https://endurancefilms.hivelocity.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=EF&Affiliate=runnersweb

      Instant Stretching Routines
      Design unlimited stretching routines today, starting from scratch, in under 60 seconds!
      http://www.instantstretchingroutines.com/cgi-bin/a.cgi?a=runnersweb

      ShoeWallet.com has set out on a mission to enable people to easily carry ID and medical information at all times. Basically, anyone
      who is out on the roads or trails needs a convenient place to carry this vital information.
      http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?joggerscompanion+pXgxpm+index.html+

      SportsShoes in the UK
      http://www.sportsshoes.com/index.php?id=149

      Visit on AssociatesShop.com Online Bookstore for running and triathlon books:
      http://associatesshop.filzhut.de/shop/index.php?ID=90c9f271c1a519abc4a69299be7075a9

      TrainingPeaks.com by Wes Hobson.
      Find the training program that fits you at:
      http://www.trainingpeaks.com/rw

      TriSwim Coach - The Complete Guide to Triathlon Swimming
      http://hop.clickbank.net/?rhianyth/triswim1

      If you have an accident while running or cycling, do you want your family to be contacted? Do you want to receive immediate and
      proper medical treatment?
      If so, make this cool item part of your gear -- for safety and peace of mind. Road ID has created 4 awesome ways for athletes to
      wear ID: the SHOE, the WRIST, the ANKLE, and the NECK. Get your RoadID at:
      http://www.roadid.com/?referrer=50

      The Stretching Handbook:
      ** You can get the new 3rd Edition of The Stretching Handbook at the old version price of only US$19.97. But only until the 1st of
      May!
      http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/cmd.php?af=245575&u=http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/specials.php#stretch_book
      The Stretching Video in a DVD version. With the DVD version you're able to use the convenient menu facility to:
      * Go directly to a specific stretch;
      * View only stretches for a specific muscle group;
      * Pause each stretch to get a good look at how it is performed;
      * View only the introduction and rules for safe stretching; or
      * Play the entire video from start to finish.
      Buy the DVD at:
      http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/cgi-bin/at.pl?a=286905&e=products/video-dvd.htm

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS:
      This newsletter has been composed using Outlook set to "Text" format. The Digest is sent via an email list at
      http://groups.yahoo.com.
      If you experience any delays in receiving your copy of the Digest, please advise us at:
      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for viruses.
      Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor (me) prior to being released to the group. If you have any questions regarding
      the options available for receiving this digest,
      mailto:Webmaster@...
      *NOTE*
      **[ Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two lines. If you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you paste
      the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or another appropriate suffix ].
      Note: An increasing number of media sites require free registration. If you wish to sign up for free access to sources for our
      articles without using your main email address we suggest the use of a mail alias program such as http://www.emailias.com.

      *** END OF RUNNER'S AND TRIATHLETE'S WEB DIGEST...***