Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest - April 6, 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2007
      those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out
      our daily news, features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more. General questions should be posted to one of our forums available
      from our FrontPage.

      SUPPORT OUR ADVERTISERS:
      All of the revenue from our advertisers and affiliates goes to support clubs, athletes and clinics related to multisport and
      Canadian Olympians.

      1. Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women:
      ** Nicole Stevenson of Toronto, the winner of last year's RunnersWeb5K.com Race for Women will return this year to defend her title.
      Sara Dillabaugh, who placed third last year, has also signed up for this year's race.**
      The RunnersWeb5K.com Race for Women has been renamed in memory of Canadian Olympian Emilie Mondor who died in a car crash September
      9th on her way to her high-school reunion. Emilie had just completed a 2 hour plus run along the Ottawa River during which she
      talked with her coach about the upcoming Philadelphia Half-Marathon (September 17th) and the New York City Marathon in November.
      For a story on Emilie read Emilie Mondor: Life Cut Too Short at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news/rw_news_20060913_LB_Mondor.html
      The first RunnersWeb5K.com Race for Women was held on June 24th at Ottawa's Aviation Museum. Canada's #2 ranked marathoner, Nicole
      Stevenson, won the race in 16:28. Thirty-five women ran under 20 minutes. For a race report and photos go to:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news/rw_news_20060624_RunnersWeb5K.html.
      The 2007 race date will be Saturday, June 23, 2007. The prize money will be increased from $3,000 to $5,000 for open and masters
      runners. The team competition will be expanded to include Open, Club and University Teams. A children's (12 and under) 1K run will
      also be held.
      More information at: http://www.emiliesrun.com and at http://www.somersault.ca
      Online race registration is now available through Events Online at: http://www.eventsonline.ca/events/somersault_rweb/
      We have added a Google Group for Emilie's Run. Join and the group and contribute at:
      http://groups-beta.google.com/group/emiliesrun?hl=en

      3. Road Runner Sports, the world's largest running store at:
      Check out their Perfect Fit Finder for running shoes.

      4. Toronto Waterfront Marathon. September 30, 2007.
      http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/

      5. The Toronto Marathon, October 14, 2007
      http://www.torontomarathon.com

      6. Carmichael Training Systems
      http://www.trainright.com/promos.asp?code=DSBYBFCSP

      7. The ING Ottawa Marathon.
      Ottawa's Race Weekend returns next May 25 to 27 with a new course for the marathon and new (earlier) start time for the
      Half-Marathon.
      For more information and online entry visit:
      http://www.ncm.ca

      ASSOCIATIONS:
      The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional Organization for the Running Industry.

      Check the "New Subscribers' note at the bottom of the newsletter

      Webmasters:
      Get our Syndicated headlines for your site.
      Add the Runner's Web News feed to your site through a simple JavaScript.
      Check out OnTri.com's implementation at:
      http://www.ontri.com/runnersweb.html
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is now available through an RSS feed for myYahoo at:

      Get the Runner's Web News Feed via email from Squeet.com. Sign up at:
      http://www.squeet.com/?FeedURL=http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RW_RSSNews.xml

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet Explorer from the link on our FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com . We have added a button for Lauren Groves, Triathlete.

      If anyone is looking for a web mail provider, you might wish to consider Google's GMail. Currently you can get GMail by invitation
      only from a current user. My stock of "invites" has been replenished. If you are interested in getting FREE GMail account, contact
      me at: mailto:kparker@... .

      Race Directors:
      Advertise your event on the Runner's Web.

      THIS WEEK:
      Our newest affiliate partner is Nike. Visit their site at:
      Nike
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000015009821

      Women runners: Join Emilie's Run Google Group, an information source for women runners and Emilie's Run - the Emilie Mondor Memorial
      5K Race for Women.
      Visit: http://groups.google.com/group/emiliesrun?hl=en

      Running Times Magazine will have live, on-site coverage of the BAA Boston Marathon starting at 9:00am Eastern Daylight Time on
      Monday, April 16th. Log on to http://runningtimes.com/boston

      The winner in the April Pegasus Quiz was Ed Whitlock of Milton, ON who identified the photo as Vanderlei de Lima.

      I was interviewed for an article in the Toronto Sun by Alison Korn on running marathons. You can read the article here:
      http://ottsun.canoe.ca/Sports/OtherSports/2007/04/02/3896124-sun.html

      us at: mailto:webmaster@... or leave your comments in one of our Forums at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/forum.html
      or from our FrontPage.

      We have 2,276 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest
      that they subscribe
      at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RunnersWeb/join .

      ACTIVE.COM
      RunnersWeb.com has teamed up with Active Trainer coaches to offer training programs that are a balance of aerobic, anaerobic and
      cross-training workouts. These training programs are built to get people of all levels across the finish line. From the first timer
      to the seasoned veteran you will find the right training plan for you. Good luck with your training and we will see you at the
      finish line.
      Training Log and Analysis:
      Log your daily workouts and monitor your progress along the way.
      Getting Started:
      Set a realistic goal for training. Review the list of training programs developed by Active Trainer Coaches. Select the program that
      best matches your current training schedule. If you have been inactive, select a conservative schedule to assure success and
      decrease the risk of injury. Plug in the start date or the date of your target race and go! The schedule will automatically be
      entered into your log. It is as simple as that...
      Training:
      Select the daily email to receive your training by the day or log on to your account and review the entire schedule. Use the
      interactive log to enter in valuable training information. The more information you enter in your personal log, the better. You will
      be able to use this information in the future to evaluate performance, keep track of what works and what doesn't and stay motivated
      to see just how far you've come.
      Sign up at: www.RunnersWebCoach.com OR http://training.active.com/ActiveTrainer/listing.do?listing=51

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey.
      Sheila is one of Ottawa's top multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public
      Health and works in the field of nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the University of California, San Diego. Her
      column index is available at:

      * Carmichael Training Systems
      Carmichael Training Systems was founded in 1999 by Chris Carmichael.
      From the beginning, the mission of the company has been to improve the lives of individuals we work with through the application of
      proper and effective fitness and competitive training techniques. Whether your focus is recreational, advanced, or you are a
      professional racer, the coaching methodology employed by CTS will make you a better athlete. Check the latest monthly column from
      CTS at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/cts_columns.html.
      Carmichael Training Systems at:
      http://www.trainright.com/promos.asp?code=DSBYBFCSP

      * Peak Performance Online
      Peak Performance is a subscription-only newsletter for athletes, featuring the latest research from the sports science world. We
      cover the whole range of sports, from running and rowing to cycling and swimming, and each issue is packed full of exclusive
      information for anyone who's serious about sport. It's published 16 times a year, including four special reports, by Electric Word
      plc. Peak Performance is not available in the shops - only our subscribers are able to access the valuable information we publish.
      Visit the PPO site at:
      Peak Performance Online:

      * Peak Running Performance
      Peak Running Is The Nation's Most Advanced Running Newsletter. Rated as the #1 Running Publication by Road Runner Sports (Worlds
      Largest Running Store) , Peak Running caters to the serious / dedicated runner. Delivering world class running advice are some of
      running's most recognizable athletes including Dr. Joe Vigil (US Olympic Coach),
      Scott Tinley (2 Time Ironman Champ) Steve Scott (3 Time Olympian) and many more. This bi-monthly newsletter has been around for over
      13 years, and in the past two it has been awarded the "Golden Shoe Award" in recognition of it's outstanding achievements.

      Running Research News:
      RRN's free, weekly, training update provides subscribers with the most-current, practical, scientifically based information about
      training, sports nutrition, injury prevention, and injury rehabilitation. The purpose of this weekly e-zine is to improve
      subscribers' training quality and to help them train in an injury-free manner.
      Running Research News also publishes a complete, 12-page, electronic newsletter 10 times a year (one-year subscriptions are $35); to
      learn more about Running Research News, please see the Online Article Index and "About Running Research News" sections below or go
      to RRNews.com.
      Check out the article index at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RRN_index.html

      THIS WEEK'S PERSONAL POSTINGS/RELEASES:
      We will only post notes here regarding running and triathlon topics of interest to the community.
      We have ONE personal posting this week.
      ONE:
      Runner's Workshop - Motion Matters Physiotherapy Clinic (50$ for Workshop)
      Do you like to run? Getting ready for the National Capital Race Weekend? Join us for a workshop on running Saturday April 14th
      7:15 am until NOON (5 classes). This workshop will focus on many different subjects such as:
      1) 7:15am RUN WITH A PHYSIO!
      2) 8:00am STRENGTHENING FOR INJURY PREVENTION
      3) 9:00am STRETCH FOR INJURY PREVENTION
      4) 10:00am CHOOSE THE RIGHT SHOE FOR YOU
      5) 11:00am LUNCH WITH A NUTRITIONIST
      This well-rounded workshop with professional physiotherapists and kinesiologists will provide you with great information to excel in
      the sport you love, running!
      Contact: Motion Matters Front Desk (Press 0)
      Phone: 613-247-4343
      Email: mailto:info@...
      More... at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news/rw_news_20070404_Runners_Workshop.html

      THIS WEEK'S DIGEST ARTICLE INDEX:

      1. Sports Psychology: Information to help athletes deal with anxiety in training and competition
      2. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health e-Zine
      3. VO2 Max Newsletter by Jason Karp
      4. Runner's Fatigue
      5. Go Out Fast In Your Next 5K
      6. Distance Events: The risks of going long: when the super-fit endurance athlete turns into the heart attack victim
      7. Pompoms, Pyramids and Peril
      8. Joe Henderson's Running Commentary - - We're All Right
      9. No more quick fixes for shin splints
      10. All Athletes: Should You Race with a Power Meter?
      11. Nutrition: Carbo-loading considered
      12. Distance Events: The risks of going long: when the super-fit endurance athlete turns into the heart attack victim
      13. Running on empty
      When eating disorders ravage female athletes.
      14. The Physiology of Marathon Running
      Just What Does Running a Marathon Do to Your Body?
      15. Barefoot-like designs challenge footwear conventions
      Shoes from Nike and Swiss Masai increase activity of small muscles, which could trim runners' times or decrease OA pain.
      16. Men vs. Women Ð Different Fitness Programs for Different Genders
      17. This Week in Running
      18. From Running Times
      19. VO2 Max- How Big is Your Engine

      "What do you think of Boston's qualifying standards?"

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage ( http://www.runnersweb.com) as well as checking the results of previous polls.

      LAST WEEK'S POLL RESULTS:
      How many miles per week did you average prior to your last marathon?
      Answers Percent
      1. 0 - 39 39%
      2. 40 - 49 17%
      3. 50 - 59 17%
      4. 60 - 69 11%
      5. 70 + 17%
      6. Have not run a marathon 0%

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE WEEK: The Final Sprint.
      The Final Sprint (TFS) is a weblog about running, fitness and nutrition that started in May of 2006. It was founded by Adam Jacobs,
      Adam Berger and Doug Berger.
      TFS's content includes commentary on: marathons, training, sports nutrition, NCAA cross country, track and field, weightlifting,
      healthy eating, hydration, sports psychology, sports injury prevention, vitamins, nutritional supplements, running shoes, gear and
      apparel. TFS has several regular columns, including: Ask Flash, Success Stories, SoundOFF and SPOTLIGHT. Their other featured
      content includes: podcasts, pump-up iMix's, interviews, product reviews and live race coverage
      Visit the site at:
      http://www.thefinalsprint.com

      BOOK/VIDEO OF THE MONTH: Marathon Woman: Running the Race to Revolutionize Women's Sports
      By Kathrine Switzer
      Book Description
      Katherine Switzer ran the Boston Marathon in 1967 where she was attacked by one of the event’s directors who wanted to eject her
      from the all-male race. She fought off the director and finished the race.
      From the childhood events that inspired her to winning the New York City Marathon in 1974, this liberally illustrated book details
      the struggles and achievements of a pioneering women in sports.
      Runner's World:
      Kathrine Switzer Has Completed Her Autobiography, "Marathon Woman". The book will be published by Carroll & Graf. "We will launch at
      the Boston Marathon starting on April 12," Switzer has informed her friends. She became the first woman to officially finish the
      Boston Marathon in 1967 after she entered the race as "K. V. Switzer." She later developed a global women's running circuit for Avon
      and campaigned to get a women's marathon in the Olympics. Switzer has been a TV commentator; she authored "26.2 Marathon Stories"
      with her husband, masters running stalwart Roger Robinson.
      Order the book from Amazon at:
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0786719672/runnersweb/102-0182896-9006569?v=glance&s=books

      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html and

      1. Sports Psychology: Information to help athletes deal with anxiety in training and competition:
      By Michelle Cleere, Sports Psychology Consultant
      Note:
      Michelle has a sports psychology Q and A on the Runner's Web. Submit your questions to Michelle at: mailto:SportsMindedMC@...
      and we will post her answers on the Runner's Web.
      By Michelle Cleere, Sport & Exercise Psychology Consultant
      Anxiety is something all athletes deal with at some level. What’s important to know about anxiety is, where it comes from, its
      effects and what to do about it.
      Defining anxiety
      Anxiety is a negative emotional state characterized by apprehension, worry and nervousness. Anxiety appears cognitively through
      worry and apprehension and it appears somatically through physiological changes in your body; increased heart rate, increased
      respiration, etc.
      Anxiety-state versus trait
      State anxiety is a temporary, changing emotional state of subjective, consciously perceived feelings of tension and apprehension.
      State anxiety is relative to the event and the elements contained within an event. Trait anxiety is a behavioral disposition where a
      person perceives the circumstances to be threatening that are objectively not threatening and then responds with disproportionate
      state anxiety.
      There is a direct correlation between state and trait anxiety. Research has shown that those who score high on trait anxiety also
      experience more state anxiety; although there are exceptions. A highly trait anxious athlete might be experienced in a particular
      situation and for that reason not perceive it as a threat or experience the corresponding state anxious symptoms. Similarly, high
      trait anxious athletes can learn coping skills to reduce the state anxiety they feel as will be talked about later in this article.
      More...from the Runner's Web at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news/rw_news_20070403_SM_Anxiety.html

      2. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health e-Zine:
      * Exercise Makes Your Brain Larger
      Regular exercise makes your brain larger, according to a study from the University of Illinois (Journal of Gerontology, November
      2006). With aging, your brain becomes smaller. This study showed that 60 to 79-year-old men who exercised regularly actually had
      their brains grow larger. Study participants who did only a stretching and toning program had their brains shrink.
      If you feel you are losing your ability to reason or think clearly, or if you suffer mood disorders such as depression, ask your
      doctor to do blood tests for homocysteine, folic acid,
      pyridoxine and vitamin B12. If these tests are normal, you should get tests for thyroid function, cholesterol and other causes of
      arterial damage.
      You can suffer from B12 deficiency even if your blood levels are normal. When you body lacks B12, your red blood cells do not mature
      properly and are much larger than normal, and
      homocysteine accumulates in your bloodstream, damaging your arteries and brain cells. Having low levels of B12 can damage every
      nerve in your body including your brain, to make you forgetful and impair your ability to reason and solve problems. If you are low
      on B12, taking folic acid supplements or eating food heavily fortified with folic acid may cost you IQ points. A study from Tufts
      University showed that people who have low blood levels of B12 can suffer nerve damage, and those who also had high blood levels of
      folic acid had far more nerve damage than those with normal levels (American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, January 2007).
      Your doctor should also check for diabetes, which can damage blood vessels that supply the brain, heart and other organs. Diabetics
      may suffer loss of memory long before they are diagnosed as having diabetes. While we await further studies, protect your memory
      with a lifestyle that will help you avoid diabetes, heart attacks and strokes. Control your weight, eat a wide variety of plants,
      limit refined carbohydrates and get plenty of exercise.
      * Arthroscopic Knee Surgery Is Usually Useless
      I have said repeatedly that surgery to trim cartilage in the knee is worthless. I have seen many patients who have had cartilage
      removed by surgeons for an average charge of $5000 and then they must have a knee replacement several years later. The surgeon must
      know about the harm he is doing because he has to see his patients for followup, when many of them require knee replacement surgery.
      Now a report in the New England Journal of Medicine shows that knee surgery to remove cartilage is worse than doing nothing. The
      headline from Baylor Medical School, where the landmark study was performed, is that "Study Finds Common Knee Surgery No Better Than
      Placebo." Patients with osteoarthritis of the knee who underwent placebo arthroscopic surgery were just as likely to report pain
      relief as those who received the real procedure. The researchers say their results challenge the usefulness of one of the most
      common surgical procedures performed for osteoarthritis of the knee. Lead investigator Dr. Elda P. Way states, "The fact that the
      effectiveness of arthroscopic lavage or debridement in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee is no greater than that of placebo
      surgery makes us question whether the one billion plus dollars spent on these procedures might not be put to better use,"
      In the study, 180 patients with knee pain were randomized into three groups. One group received debridement, in which worn, torn, or
      loose cartilage is cut away and removed with the aid of a pencil-thin viewing tube called an arthroscope. The second group underwent
      arthroscopic lavage, in which loose cartilage is flushed out. The third group underwent simulated arthroscopic surgery; small
      incisions were made, but no instruments were inserted and no cartilage removed. The people who did not have surgery on their
      cartilage did better than the people who had some of their cartilage removed.
      In the United States, more than 650,000 arthroscopic debridement or lavage procedures are performed each year, at a cost of about
      $5,000 each. The knee is just two sticks held together by four bands called ligaments. Bones are soft, so the ends of bones are
      covered with a hard gristle called cartilage. Cartilage serves as a padding to protect the ends of bones. Once cartilage is broken,
      it can never heal. And once you break a small amount of cartilage in your knee, your knee cartilage can never fit together properly,
      and every time you put force on the knee, you break off more cartilage.
      When surgeons remove cartilage, they leave less cartilage than the person had before the surgery. Eventually the knee joint runs out
      of cartilage and when bone rubs on bone, it hurts all the time and a person must have a knee replacement just to be able to sleep at
      night. Surgery to remove cartilage just hastens knee replacement. On the other hand, doctors can replace torn ligaments, which
      stabilizes the knee joint. They can remove a loose piece that is blocking the movement of the joint. People with loose cartilage
      have sudden locking of the knee when they walk or the cannot fully straighten or bend their knees.
      As a result of this study and my own impression from treating hundreds of damaged knees, I recommend that you do not get knee
      surgery unless you have a torn ligament that needs to be repaired or you have sudden locking of the knee during walking or you
      cannot fully straighten or bend you knee. Otherwise surgery is likely to hasten your need for another surgery, knee replacement.

      From Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine at:
      http://www.drmirkin.com/

      3. VO2 Max Newsletter by Jason Karp:
      * Breaking Plateaus
      Now that we're in to the fourth month of the year, many of you may be struggling with plateaus. As a runner, I admit it's easy to
      get stuck in a rut. You get used to doing the same workouts, the same number of weekly miles. Sometimes, it's hard to do more
      mileage, more speedwork. But if you want to improve your performance, you have to increase your training. If your training stays
      the same, don't expect your races to get faster. The human body is very good at adapting to stress when that stress is applied is
      small doses, but it also does something annoying--it habituates. To get faster, stronger, and break through plateaus, gradually and
      systematically increase the amount of training stress. Do this in other areas of your life, too. Make a commitment to yourself to
      be more productive, to do more, to be more. And break through plateaus.
      * Order in the Gym
      If today is your day to focus on biceps, you better train them first. The performance of both large- and small-muscle group
      exercises is affected by the order you do them. A study published in Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, in which
      trained women performed a series of exercises and then performed them in the opposite order 48 hours later, found that the women
      completed fewer repetitions (when lifting 3 sets at 80% one-rep max) for the bench press, seated machine shoulder press, seated
      machine triceps
      extension, leg press, leg extension, and leg curl when the exercise is performed later in the sequence. The rating of perceived
      exertion, however, is not affected by the order of the exercises.
      * To view past newsletters go to: http://www.runcoachjason.com/newsletter
      Copyright Jason Karp All Rights Reserved - http://www.runcoachjason.com

      4. Runner's Fatigue:
      -Jim Brown for Core Performance
      As you watch the Boston Marathon on Monday and contemplate your own running regime, it will become clear to you that fatigue is a
      companion of the distance runner. You can enter an uneasy bond with it, you can deny it or you can figure out ways to perform well,
      in spite of fatigue’s effects on the body.
      In their book Running Within, authors Jerry Lynch, Ph.D., and Warren Scott, M.D., suggest ways to cope with fatigue during training
      and competition. Their primary message is: “don’t force.” Fighting fatigue just causes tension and frustration that compound the
      problem.
      Think Small
      Lynch and Scott offer several alternatives for coping with fatigue. The first is to focus on small, manageable segments of a race.
      “Tell yourself,” they advise, “I’ll just do this next loop or next mile or the next stretch.” Mentally break up your race into
      pieces and think about fitting all the pieces into a project that you are trying to complete. Re-evaluate your condition at the
      beginning or end of each segment.
      Read Signals
      The second strategy is to listen to your body and take cues from it. Instead of disassociating themselves from the task by thinking
      about anything but running, elite competitors use feedback provided by markers of fatigue to adjust their stride, alter their pace,
      and correct other technical mistakes. Their body computers put out data used to make changes. Concentrating on the task at hand
      prevents them from being distracted by pain.
      Practice Reacting
      The third mental tactic is a familiar theme espoused by sports psychologists. Use mental images—visualize—to stimulate the body to
      perform at a high level in spite of the negative forces caused by fatigue. Lynch and Scott suggest that you can practice reactions
      to fatigue
      as part of the training program. How do you do this? “Visualize running smoothly, effortlessly and full of energy. Imagine the
      tightness
      in the shoulders dissipating as you relax and drop your arms for thirty seconds.” In other words, rehearse dealing with fatigue
      during training sessions so you will be ready to put a plan in action during competition. This one may take a while to embrace and
      perfect.
      More...from adidias.com at:
      http://www.adidas.com/campaigns/usrunning/content/assets/training/pdfs/g_runer_fatigue.pdf

      5. Go Out Fast In Your Next 5K:
      To run your best 5-K, new research suggests a more aggressive approach
      By Ed Eyestone
      The surest way to blow a 5-K is to start too fast. But just how fast is too fast?
      Researchers from the University of New Hampshire examined the effect of different pacing strategies on 5-K performance. Their
      subjects were 11 female runners from the school's cross-country team, who trained an average of 35 miles per week and had 5-K PRs
      ranging from 18 to 21 minutes. After running two 5-K time trials to establish a baseline pace, the subjects then completed three
      more 5-Ks using decidedly different pacing strategies: The subjects ran the first mile of each race either equal to, three percent
      faster, or six percent faster than their established baseline pace per mile. After the first mile, the subjects could change their
      pace to finish as quickly as possible.
      The results surprised everyone familiar with the go-out-easy approach. Eight of the 11 women ran their best 5-K times (averaging
      20:39) when they ran the first mile six percent faster than their baseline pace. The other three subjects posted their best times
      (20:52) going out three percent faster than baseline pace. The even-paced runners produced the slowest times, averaging 21:11. The
      faster-starting women did slow down more during the race, but the even-paced runners simply couldn't make up the time lost in a
      slower start.
      So how is it that these runners achieved their best times by logging their first mile a seemingly suicidal 26 seconds faster than
      their predicted 5-K pace? According to the study, at the end of the first mile, the even-paced runners were at only 78 percent of
      their VO2 max, an effort level more akin to a tempo run than a 5-K race--below their potential. The three-percent and six-percent
      faster starts put the subjects at 82 and 83 percent of VO2 max after the first mile, which is closer to the intensity you'd expect
      from an experienced runner racing the first mile of a 5-K.
      So should we all go out as fast as possible in every race? Not exactly. Moderately trained runners may benefit from a faster start
      because they're probably not starting fast enough in the first place. The researchers suggest that their study findings are probably
      most applicable to competitive open and master's division runners, not elites who already know how best to push themselves right
      from the gun or beginners who totally lack a sense of pacing. And even competitive runners shouldn't try the go-out-fast strategy in
      longer races, when other variables become more important than first-mile pace--like, say, finishing another 25.2 miles.
      Want to know what your best 5-k pace is? Try This Calculator: http://www.runnersworld.com/pacecalc/
      From www.RunnersWorld.com.

      6. Distance Events: The risks of going long: when the super-fit endurance athlete turns into the heart attack victim:
      About 1 in 50,000: if you run marathons or participate in other forms of exercise which last for three hours or more, that's your
      approximate risk of suffering an acute heart attack or sudden cardiac death during - or within 24 hours of - your effort. For every
      50,000 athletes, one will be stricken during such prolonged activity(1). Running a marathon or cycling intensely for three hours is
      riskier than taking a commercial airline flight, even in these troubled times!
      You might think we shouldn't make such a claim in a newsletter which appeals to serious competitors, including a large number of
      marathon runners. But at Peak Performance our job is to provide you with all the facts about your sport, not just the pretty ones.
      The truth is that marathon runners, ironman triathletes and long-distance cyclists, swimmers, rowers and cross-country skiers are
      all in the same boat. In fact, any athlete who participates in a strenuous test of endurance lasting about three hours or more has
      an increased chance of dying during - and for 24 hours following - the exertion, even when the athlete's chance of a death-door
      knock is compared with the risk incurred by a cigarette-smoking, sedentary layabout who spends the same 24 hours drinking beer and
      watching TV. The reasons for this are not entirely clear, but the heightened risks of a visit from the Grim Reaper are unsettling to
      most athletes, especially those who exercise in the hope of improving cardiovascular and overall health.
      To find out why strenuous exercise temporarily increases the risk of death, researchers at the University of Innsbruck in Austria
      recently studied 38 male participants in the 1999 Tyrolean Otztaler Radmarathon, a cycling race which covers 230k, with an altitude
      change of 5,500m. The Radmarathon is often said to be comparable in difficulty to the hardest mountain stages of the Tour de France
      (2).
      More...from Peak Performance Online at:
      http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0679.htm

      7. Pompoms, Pyramids and Peril:
      Cheerleaders suffer more catastrophic injuries than athletes in all other sports combined.
      For decades, they stood by safe and smiling, a fixture on America’s sporting sidelines. But today’s young cheerleaders, who perform
      tricks once reserved for trapeze artists, may be in more peril than any female athletes in the country.
      Emergency room visits for cheerleading injuries nationwide have more than doubled since the early 1990s, and the rate of
      life-threatening injuries has startled researchers. Of 104 catastrophic injuries sustained by female high school and college
      athletes from 1982 to 2005 — head and spinal trauma that occasionally led to death — more than half resulted from cheerleading,
      according to the National Center for Catastrophic Sports Injury Research. All sports combined did not surpass cheerleading.
      New acrobatic maneuvers have turned cheerleaders into daredevils. And while the sport has retained its sense of glamour, at dozens
      of competitions around the country, knee braces and ice bags affixed to ankles and wrists have become accouterments as common as
      mascara.
      With more than 4 million participants cheering at everything from local youth football games to the limelight of the N.C.A.A.
      basketball tournament, female cheerleaders now commonly do tricks atop pyramids or are tossed 20 feet in the air to perform twists
      and flips. If all goes well, the airborne cheerleader, known as the flier, is caught by other cheerleaders. But not always.
      Jessica Smith, an 18-year-old cheerleader at Sacramento City College, broke her neck in two places five months ago when a botched
      stunt dropped her headfirst from a height of about 15 feet.
      “They make you sign a medical release when you join a cheerleading team,” Smith said in a telephone interview last week. “They ought
      to tell the girls that they are signing a death waiver.”
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/30/sports/31cnd-cheerleader.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

      8. Joe Henderson's Running Commentary - We're All Right:
      Opinions are like noses. Everybody has one -- and needs one. A nose is necessary for sniffing out what's right for us, as is an
      opinion.
      So when Roy Benson wrote (see RC 668) that his "coachly frustrations surface when I see you and other experts giving general advice
      based only on your own experience," I took no offense. I've never pretended that my nose led me places where everyone else should
      go.
      The only way I would amend Roy's statement is to remove "only," because that qualifier trivializes opinions. I value them, both mine
      and those of dissenters.
      I also took no umbrage when Jeff Johnson suggested last week that the long, slow distance running (LSD) was responsible for the dip
      in U.S. racing performances in general, and high school mile times in particular. I've heard often since writing an LSD book in 1969
      that I was responsible for a "dumbing down" of the sport -- to use Jeff's term.
      Others have said, "The only thing long, slow distance produces is long, slow runners." My answer: better a slow run than NO run.
      I'd like to accept blame for LSD's alleged sins, because then I could also take credit for bringing more slower runners into the
      sport. The fact is, though, that my work was a ripple in a tidal wave of change already starting to sweep the sport back then. I was
      riding that tide, not pushing it.
      Sales of that book totaled less than one-tenth of a percent of those for Jim Fixx's blockbuster that came out a few years later. By
      then LSD was already out of print and would never come back. The people who still remember it, critically or otherwise, probably
      never read any of it.
      I never said in the book that LSD was the best way or the only way to train. The book's second paragraph stated that it "contains a
      simple report of experiences [of myself and five other runners] from which you can draw your own conclusions, agree or disagree."
      If only all of my personal experiences and opinions could be labeled so clearly. Every piece of my advice should start with a
      disclaimer, published or remembered: "What follows may apply to many of you, a few of you or only to the writer -- but never to
      everyone."
      More...from Joe Henderson at:
      http://www.joehenderson.com/archive/home.php?article=2104

      9. No more quick fixes for shin splints:
      Running can be a person's greatest joy... or biggest pain. The tremendous impact running places on the joints, muscles and bones
      requires your body to be in proper alignment.
      If you run regularly, you may find that you sometimes develop a dull ache on the inside lower portion of your shin. It may get worse
      the more you run, walk or stand. Chances are you have a case of shin splints.
      If you are one of the multitudes of recreational runners who has suffered from this very common overuse injury -- you know firsthand
      how painful the condition is and how frustrating recovery can be.
      Many runners consider shin splints to be one of the most painful and persistent conditions they can develop. Although the pain
      associated with it is due to chronic contraction of the muscle at the front of the leg (tibialis anterior), the cause of shin
      splints is usually related to improper biomechanics of the foot and knee.
      Such a situation can cause a twisting of the shin bone, forcing the tibialis anterior muscle to work much harder than necessary.
      This twisting is called tibial torsion, and if left untreated can cause significant damage to the meniscus, the cartilage pad of the
      knee.
      More...from Active.com at:
      http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=13810&sidebar=13

      10. All Athletes: Should You Race with a Power Meter?
      In the February e-Tips, Joe Friel wrote about the benefits of buying a power meter for cyclists and triathletes. I wanted to expand
      on one of the benefits Joe only briefly emphasized—racing with a power meter.
      I find all too often that athletes leave the power meter at home on weekends when they are racing. It seems most power meters are
      only used within training, which is a real shame since one of the best ways to make the most of your power meter purchase is to race
      with it. If you aren't racing with a power meter here is what you are missing.
      Let me first start by describing the experience I had in February at the Tour of California professional bike race. I had the
      pleasure of following the event and helping out three teams who are sold on the value of racing with power. The professional teams
      Predictor-Lotto (Belgium), T-Mobile (Germany) and the USA National Cycling Team all provided power meters to their athletes to race
      with during this event. The team coaches and doctors realized the enormous amount of data they could collect within this eight-day
      stretch of racing. This would provide an ideal opportunity to collect data that would quantify the exact demands of the race, and
      also paint a complete picture of the athlete's current fitness.
      Racing is the ultimate real-world test. Knowing the demands of the sport is the first step toward designing an effective training
      program. After all, isn't the point of training to adapt to the demands of the event? How many watts does it take to finish the race
      or to make the front group over the climb? If you are a road racer this is a crucial number to know that heart rate can't tell you.
      Heart rate in fact becomes even more valuable (another one of Joe's points from last month's article) once you know the workload it
      took to signal the heart to pump at a certain level.
      More...from UltraFit at:
      http://www.ultrafit.com/newsletter/march07.html#AA

      11. Nutrition: Carbo-loading considered:
      Serious athletes who train strenuously for many hours a day and participate in premier sporting events use carbohydrates to
      fine-tune their performance. Fine-tuning is achieved by means of a process called carbo-loading.
      Glycogen is a compound used by the body to store carbohydrate or readily available fuel in the liver and muscles. These carbohydrate
      stores are not extensive and are easily depleted if the athlete does not replenish them thoroughly before an event.
      Carbo-loading is undertaken to prevent the following:
      * too rapid depletion of glycogen stores in the liver and muscles;
      * development of hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar levels) during exercise.
      The above-mentioned factors can cause fatigue and poor performance. It is, therefore, in the best interest of any serious athlete to
      ensure that his or her glycogen stores are optimally filled before an event.
      Carbo-loading before an event
      a) Non-endurance events
      Events that last for 60 to 90 minutes can be classed as non-endurance events. According to Burke and Deakin (2000), an athlete can
      normalise his glycogen stores by resting for a period of 24 hours and ingesting between 7 and 10 g of carbohydrate per kg of body
      weight per day.
      An athlete weighing 70 kg would need to eat 490 to 700 g of carbohydrate for at least 1 to 1,5 days before a non-endurance event to
      refuel his glycogen stores adequately. This is a large amount of carbohydrate to ingest and many athletes fail to meet this
      recommendation.
      More...from Health 24 at:
      http://www.health24.com/fitness/Specific_Sports/16-2175-2180-2195,27898.asp

[...]

      Willing herself to finish a suicide sprint at practice, Jane, a senior, clutches her throbbing temple. Her concerned teammates'
      blurry faces bob before her eyes. Her legs stagger, then buckle as she loses consciousness. When she comes to a few seconds later,
      Jane's mother is standing over her with a popsicle in hand. Jane consumes the popsicle and feels her blood sugar spike back up,
      replenishing some of her energy and relieving not a case of dehydration, but malnutrition; Jane had eaten nothing but a pear that
      day.
      Jane suffers from anorexia nervosa, a potentially life-threatening eating disorder that, as defined by the National Eating Disorders
      Association (NEDA), is characterized by self-starvation and excessive weight loss. A study of NCAA Division I female athletes
      conducted in 1999 by Craig Johnson, Director of the Eating Disorders Program at Laureate Psychiatric Hospital in Tulsa, Oklahoma,
      showed that 13 percent of female collegiate athletes display signs of anorexia or bulimia. The same survey revealed that another 36
      percent of female collegiate athletes are at a high risk for an eating disorder because of their attitudes and habits toward food.
      Conversely, only 0.5 to 1 percent of American women suffer from anorexia, and only 1 to 2 percent suffer from bulimia, according to
      NEDA. NEDA defines bulimia as a cycle of binging and compensatory behaviors such as self-induced vomiting designed to undo the
      effects of binge eating.
      More...from Silver Chips Online at:
      http://silverchips.mbhs.edu/inside.php?sid=7380

      14. The Physiology of Marathon Running:
      Just What Does Running a Marathon Do to Your Body?
      by Jake Emmett, Ph.D.
      Running a marathon has been viewed, and still is by many, as too extreme to be healthy. Certainly, the physical stress of running a
      marathon played some role in not holding a women's Olympic marathon race until 1984. On the flip side, casual runners think that if
      a pampered celebrity can run a marathon, it can't be all that strenuous. While marathon running is far from damaging, it should be
      respected for the physiological stress inflicted over its 26.2 miles.
      For example, running a five-minute-per-mile marathon requires a 15-fold increase in energy production for over two hours. Even
      runners who finish in over four hours maintain a 10-fold increase in their metabolism. Such extended energy demands require the
      cardiorespiratory, endocrine, and neuromuscular systems to operate at an elevated level for an inordinate length of time. It is no
      wonder then that the story of Pheidippides and his marathon run to Athens easily grew into a tragic tale about how running a
      marathon killed the first person to do so. Fortunately, scientists have researched the physiological stresses of running a marathon.
      The findings from such studies can help potential marathon runners better appreciate what they will be up against and remind
      seasoned marathon runners just how amazing the human body is.
      SUDDEN DEATH
      The physiology on marathon running starts with Pheidippides, who reputedly ran from the plains of Marathon to the city of Athens to
      report the victory of the Athenian army over the Persians. Upon his arrival, Pheidippides exclaimed, "Rejoice, we conquer" and
      dropped dead-or did he? The accuracy of this account has been questioned by modern scholars (Martin and Gynn 2000); however, the
      unfortunate outcome of Pheidippides is manifested in a few marathon runners every year. Just how stressful to the human body is
      running a marathon? This and other questions regarding marathon running were addressed at The Marathon: Physiological, Medical,
      Epidemiological, and Psychological Studies conference in 1976. The boldest theory regarding marathon running was made by Dr. Tom
      Bassler (1977), who suggested that the stress of running a marathon built immunity to the development of fatty deposits within
      coronary arteries. In other words, running a marathon prevents coronary artery disease (CAD). Bassler compared marathon runners to
      the heart-disease-free Masai warriors and Tarahumara Indians in that they all maintain active lifestyles, eat healthy diets, and
      have enlarged and wide-bore coronary arteries.
      After reviewing the cause of death in marathon runners from the previous 10 years, Bassler claimed that "there have been no reports
      of fatal, histologically proven, [CAD] deaths among 42K men." While he noted that some runners have died while running marathons, he
      concluded that these deaths were due to other factors such as nonatherosclerotic heart diseases (such as myocarditis or coronary
      spasms), congenital abnormalities, hyperthermia, or undertraining. To his credit, Bassler also acknowledged that a low-fat diet and
      abstention from smoking play important roles in developing immunity to heart disease. Bassler concluded that whether running a
      marathon offered absolute protection from CAD would be proven within the following 10 years.
      At the same conference, Bassler's claim was refuted with four documented cases of marathon runners who had died from CAD (Noakes et
      al. 1977).
      More...from Marathon and Beyond at:
      http://www.marathonandbeyond.com/choices/emmett.htm

      15. Barefoot-like designs challenge footwear conventions:
      Shoes from Nike and Swiss Masai increase activity of small muscles, which could trim runners' times or decrease OA pain.
      By: Jordana Bieze Foster
      The idea of going barefoot means different things to different people. To some, the absence of footwear means one less barrier
      between man and nature, feeling the warmth of sand between one's toes or the coolness of dewy grass tickling one's soles. To others,
      it means one less layer of protection from the heat of a sun-scorched sidewalk, the bits of broken glass lurking in the sand or the
      animal droppings that help keep the grass so green. Some think of going barefoot as losing not just protection, but also the
      stability and cushioning that footwear provide. And some think of it as an opportunity to use muscles in the foot that would
      otherwise lie fallow.
      As one might expect, there aren't a lot of footwear manufacturers in the last category. But two shoe designs, the Nike Free and the
      Masai Barefoot Technology shoe from Swiss Masai, are now being marketed to individuals who want the benefits of going barefoot-both
      the feeling of freedom and the biomechanical challenge-along with some degree of protection. Research confirms that both shoes alter
      gait patterns and increase muscle activity. It remains to be seen, however, whether those changes result in injury prevention or
      improved performance. Practitioners and research also remain unclear as to just which athletes or patients might benefit from the
      use of the footwear, and for which individuals the unorthodox designs might pose a risk.
      Barefoot background
      Barefoot running, made famous by such athletes as trackster Zola Budd and marathoners Abebe Bikila and Charlie "Doc" Robbins, not
      only has something of a cult following among hard-core runners but also has long been used as a training tool by coaches. And
      barefoot walking isn't just for the beach any more, judging from the number of Web sites extolling the delights of shedding shoes
      for everything from driving to hiking.
      Given this level of popularity, surprisingly few recent studies have specifically examined the biomechanics of barefoot walking or
      running-with much of what is known in this area dating back more than a decade. A February 1985 study published in Medicine and
      Science in Sports & Exercise found that barefoot running was more economical than shod running in terms of aerobic cost, and was
      associated with less angular displacement of the knee. In the April 1987 issue of MSSE, Canadian researchers documented that
      barefoot running was characterized by deflection of the medial longitudinal arch not seen in shod runners. An April 1991 study by
      Swiss researchers, published in the same journal, reported that running shoes decreased torsion angles and increased pronation
      angles compared to running barefoot, but those results were disproven in a November 2000 study that used more accurate marker
      placements. The follow-up study, published in the Journal of Biomechanics, found no significant differences in calcaneal or tibial
      movement between barefoot and shod running.
      More...from BioMechanics at:
      http://www.biomech.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197004647

      16. Men vs. Women Ð Different Fitness Programs for Different Genders:
      Michele Kettles, M.D., M.S.P.H.
      When opportunities for women to participate in organized sports became more plentiful after Title IX legislation, sports-related
      merchandise for women started to appear. At first, traditional men's equipment and clothing was simply colored pink and sold as
      women's gear. But as it became clear women were more prone to injuries, especially knee, ankle and foot injuries, some sports
      companies realized women aren't just small men - they are different in several ways.
      Examining the Differences
      Research at these companies and in the academic realm revealed significant differences in anatomy, physiology, and psychosociology
      that affect female performance. Thus, an entire industry was spawned that caters to women's health and fitness needs. A quick search
      of the Internet will reveal women-specific bikes, tennis racquets, running shoes, kayaks, and more. Is all this really necessary?
      In short, yes! There are important physiological differences between men and women. For example, women typically have 10 percent
      more body fat than men, 30 to 50 percent less upper-body strength, smaller hearts and smaller muscle fibers. Therefore, it is
      important for women to have their own fitness equipment and be advised about proper exercise programs tailored just for them.
      Programs Should Vary With Age
      Fitness has an important role in helping prevent or manage almost every chronic disease women face, including cardiovascular
      disease, type 2 diabetes, cancer, obesity, arthritis, osteoporosis, and depression. The amount and type of exercise women engage in
      vary with each stage of life. Recognizing the physical, mental, emotional, and social challenges women face during transition
      periods helps encourage self-awareness and provides critical insights for health advisors.
      The specific components of a balanced fitness program - cardiovascular fitness, muscular strength and endurance, and flexibility -
      vary in importance as we age. Adolescent girls and young women have different needs than their mothers and grandmothers do. The
      exercise programs of younger females should focus on them as a whole and make exercise fun. Increasing flexibility and muscular
      strength during menopause and beyond will help improve functionality, balance and reduce the risk for fractures.
      Michele Kettles, M.D., M.S.P.H., is a physician and specialist in internal and preventive medicine at Cooper Clinic. Dr. Kettles
      co-authored Women's Health and Fitness Guide (Human Kinetics, 2006) and she has a special medical interest in osteoporosis. To
      schedule an appointment at Cooper Clinic, call 972-560-2667.
      For more health articles visit www.CooperComplete.com

      17. This Week in Running:
      10 Years Ago- Paul Tergat (KEN) won the Giro Medio Blenio (SUI) 10K by 14 seconds over Bernard
      Barmasai (KEN), 28:19 to 28:33. Paul Kosgei (KEN) was 3rd in 28:40. Lydia Cheromei
      (KEN) won the women's 5K in 15:43, more than 30 seconds ahead of Sally Barsosio (KEN)
      who ran 16:15 and Florence Barsosio (KEN) in 16:26.
      20 Years Ago- John Gregorek (USA) won the Kodak AAA Road Champs (ENG) 10K in 28:14. Arturo Barrios
      (MEX) followed in 28:16 while Jack Buckner won the ENG title in 3rd with 28:18.
      Christine Benning took the women's (5K) race and title with a 15:47. Jane Shields
      (ENG) and Angela Tooby (WAL) rounded out the top three with 15:51 and 16:03 respectively.
      30 Years Ago- Mohamed Kedir (ETH) won the Stramilano (ITA) Half Marathon with a 1:03:26. Edmundo
      Warnke (CHI) was 2nd in 1:03:36 and Yohannes Mohamed (ETH) was 3rd in 1:03:42.
      Silvana Cruciata (ITA) won the women's race in 1:22:05.
      40 Years Ago- Nothing of note in the ARRS database.
      50 Years Ago- Nothing of note in the ARRS database.
      From The Analytical Distance Runner, the newsletter for the Association of Road Racing Statisticians with a focus on races, 3000m
      and longer, including road, track, and cross-country events.

      18. From Running Times:
      * Training Tip of the Month - Returning to Action
      Your training and racing are going great. You've just set a new PR by a few seconds, and there are still several weeks left in the
      season until it's time for your peak performances. Oops.....what was that? A slap upside the head by the mean old Crash Fairy? Nope,
      it wasn't. You're not down with a stress fracture. It was just a visit by the Health Goddess warning you to take a few days off
      before this mild case of shin splints gets serious and cracks your tibia.
      Something like this ever happened to you? Have you ever had to miss 4 or 5 days due to a minor strain or an illness like the stomach
      flu? If so, you know you've worried about what happened to that super level of fitness you were enjoying. Has it flown off on a
      tailwind leaving you breathless? Well, hardly. And here's what you need to do to prove to yourself that you feel fine and are ready
      before returning fully to your battle plan.
      On your first day back, just be sure that you're not going to relapse. Jog 3 or 4 miles. Then spend lots of time stretching, running
      a few strides and doing strength work so that the day feels like a "real" workout. All this will help you get back what I call your
      "bio-mechanical momentum." This is just the feeling of what it's like to run again; it's not a test of your fitness. That comes the
      next day when you do an interval workout something like this:
      12 x 400 in 3 sets of 4 repeats as follows.
      Set 1. at your last race pace per 400 plus 30 sec with a 100 meter jog interval
      Set 2. at race pace plus 15 sec with 200m jog
      Set 3. at race pace with a 300m jog
      For example, if the pace of your last race pace was 75 seconds per 400, you would do the first set of 400's in 1:45. Then Set 2
      would be 90 sec with the last set obviously in 75 sec.
      I hope this example sounds ridiculously easy, because that is exactly the point. The first part of the workout is deliberately easy
      in order to keep you from turning your first workout back after a layoff into a disastrous example of positive split running. Why is
      this so important? Because if you let your anxieties jack you up too high and then combine that nervous energy with the probably
      unexpected freshness in your legs due to the enforced rest, you will wind up with the worst case in history of lead legs over the
      last part of the workout. Then what will happen to your confidence?
      So never, ever try to test your return to combat before tricking yourself into feeling absolutely super at the end of your first
      workout. Do NOT try to pick up where you left off. Do that on the second workout and you'll probably run faster than before the
      short layoff.
      And finally, if the above comeback workout seems absolutely beneath your vaunted prowess, just save everything until those last 4
      repeats. Then try running each one a few to several seconds faster. Talk about using a negative to make something positive. Your
      confidence will be so high that you'll never remember the doubts that crept in while you were off doing nothing except feeling sorry
      for yourself.
      Miles of smiles,
      Coach Roy Benson
      * Medical Corner - Ibuprofen and Injury Prevention
      Q: It is well known that taking ibuprofen can reduce the pain for injuries, but is there any proof that taking this on a regular
      basis can help to prevent injuries?
      A: Ibuprofen belongs to a class of drugs known as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). These medications are helpful in
      relieving pain and may speed recovery from certain injuries, such as muscle contusions (bruises). Ibuprofen does not prevent
      injuries.
      Side effects of ibuprofen include stomach ulcers, kidney damage, and, less commonly, liver damage. NSAIDs cause a decrease in blood
      flow to the kidneys; this in conjunction with dehydration raises a major concern about kidney damage in athletes.
      --Dr. Cathy Fieseler
      From the Running Times Newsletter at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com

      19. VO2 Max- How Big is Your Engine:
      Sports technology, like any other, eventually trickles down to the masses. Amateur athletes now have access to some of the same
      testing and evaluation processes that the pros do. However, this testing can be complicated and confusing to the athlete. It must be
      administered by a coach or a professional who not only understands the science, but can explain how to apply it to an athlete’s
      training.
      VO2 max testing is one example of this technology. There are now units available that can test an athlete’s VO2 for a fraction of
      the cost of clinical testing available a few years ago. Be careful though; not all means of testing are accurate and the testing
      protocol and administration are very important. Some machines attempt to extrapolate VO2 by various methods and these can be very
      inaccurate. An inaccurate test is of little value to an athlete. Be sure to ask what the variance is when compared to other clinical
      methods or metabolic “cart” testing that measures both CO2 and O2.
      So what is this VO2 max everyone is talking about? Simply put, it tells you how big of an “engine” you have in your “car”. It can be
      expressed in two ways; absolute or by comparison. Your absolute VO2 is the volume of oxygen your body can take in and process. This
      is expressed in liters. A better value for comparison of athletes is in milliliters, per kilogram, per minute (ml/kg/min). This is
      the volume of oxygen the body uses per kilogram of body weight during one minute of exercise at a maximal level. There are various
      factors that affect your max VO2, none the least of which is training, but it is largely a genetic number. Like a lot of performance
      characteristics, you can thank (or blame) your parents for your aerobic capacity. It is roughly 20-30% trainable. A deconditioned
      individual or beginner will see the sharpest increase in VO2 max in their first season, while a seasoned veteran may have to work
      much harder to see any improvement. Max VO2 does degrade with age and usually starts to drop off after the age of 40, perhaps a bit
      later for women. Conditioned athletes usually range from 40 to 60 ml/kg/min. An athlete over 70 would be considered very
      exceptional. Lance Armstrong is said to have been tested in the high 80’s.
      More...from the Sport Factory at:
      http://thesportfactory.com/site/trainingnews/VO2_Max-_How_Big_is_Your_Engine.shtml

      20. Digest Briefs:
      * Basic training: Glute tightener
      Set up: Start on your hands and knees.
      Step 1: Maintain a 90-degree angle with your knee while lifting your leg until the thigh is parallel with the upper body.
      Step 2: Hold for 5 seconds and lower the knee back down to the mat.
      Repeat 10 times and switch legs. Keep your neck aligned with your back and exhale with each lift.
      This exercise works your hips and thighs to give them a more toned and shapely look.
      * Gear Test
      How Dry I’m Not (Sip, Sip)
      FOR marathoners on hour-plus training runs, carrying water is a dilemma. A belt of small flasks gives a runner variety — water in an
      eight-ouncer, Powerade in another — but it lacks pockets. A single 20- or 32-ounce bottle holster bounces.
      Another option worth trying is a waist pack with a built-in reservoir and a drinking tube. A runner sucks or bites down on the
      tube’s valve for a swig. The latest innovation is a retractable tube that doesn’t get in a runner’s way or bang against legs. Most
      hands-free waist-mounted hydration packs also offer storage for keys or energy gels.
      “Runners can be intimidated by bladder packs at first, but then they realize how much easier they are to use than bottles — it’s
      like sucking on a straw,” said Dave Harkin, who with his wife, Paula, owns the Portland Running Company in Oregon.
      To give the latest bladder packs a try, Steve Smucker, a Masters ultrarunner who won the 50 to 59 division of the 100-mile Western
      States Endurance Run in 2004, wore them while training for a 50-kilometer trail race.
      From the New York Times

      THIS WEEK'S FEATURED EVENTS:
      *Please verify event dates with the event websites*
      Check the Runner's Web FrontPage for links to the race sites.

      April 7, 2007:

      Crescent City Classic - New Orleans, LA

      Eisenhower Marathon - Abilene, KS

      Harry's Spring Run-Off 8K - Toronto, ON

      Mad City 100K, Madison, WI
      USA Ultra Championship

      Santa Anita Derby Day 5K - Arcadia, CA

      Two Oceans Marathon - Cape Town, South Africa

      June 23, 2007:

      Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women - Ottawa, ON
      http://www.emiliesrun.com

      For Triathlon Coverage check out The Sports Network at:
      http://www2.sportsnet.ca/tvschedule/tvsked_sport.php?region=ONTARIO&schedule_id=25