    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2007
      those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out
      our daily news, features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more. General questions should be posted to one of our forums available
      from our FrontPage.

      All of the revenue from our advertisers and affiliates goes to support clubs, athletes and clinics related to multisport and
      Canadian Olympians.

      1. Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women:
      The RunnersWeb5K.com Race for Women has been renamed in memory of Canadian Olympian Emilie Mondor who died in a car crash September
      9th on her way to her high-school reunion. Emilie had just completed a 2 hour plus run along the Ottawa River during which she
      talked with her coach about the upcoming Philadelphia Half-Marathon (September 17th) and the New York City Marathon in November.
      For a story on Emilie read Emilie Mondor: Life Cut Too Short at:
      The first RunnersWeb5K.com Race for Women was held on June 24th at Ottawa's Aviation Museum. Canada's #2 ranked marathoner, Nicole
      Stevenson, won the race in 16:28. Thirty-five women ran under 20 minutes. For a race report and photos go to:
      The 2007 race date will be Saturday, June 23, 2007. The prize money will be increased from $3,000 to $5,000 for open and masters
      runners. The team competition will be expanded to include Open, Club and University Teams. A children's (12 and under) 1K run will
      also be held.
      More information at: http://www.emiliesrun.com and at http://www.somersault.ca
      Online race registration is now available through Events Online at: http://www.eventsonline.ca/events/somersault_rweb/
      We have added a Google Group for Emilie's Run. Join and the group and contribute at:

      3. Road Runner Sports, the world's largest running store at:
      Check out their Perfect Fit Finder for running shoes.

      4. Toronto Waterfront Marathon. September 30, 2007.

      5. The Toronto Marathon, October 14, 2007

      6. Carmichael Training Systems

      7. The ING Ottawa Marathon.
      Ottawa's Race Weekend returns next May 25 to 27 with a new course for the marathon and new (earlier) start time for the
      For more information and online entry visit:

      8. PattSttrap.com.
      Free Shipping World Wide on all Products. PattStrap.com Products relieves the stress and pain associated with ailments facing many
      people, including; Iliotibial Band Syndrome (ITBS), Patella Tendonitis, Shin Splints, Knee Sprains, Runner's Knee, Achilles
      Tendonitis, Osgood Schlatter's Disease, Chondromalacia, Plantar Fasciitis, Chronic Heel Pain, Excessive Pronation, Heel Spur
      Syndrome, and many other foot, leg and knee ailments.
      PattStrap.com has just launched a full redesign of their website at:

      9. Training Peaks
      Training Peaks, LLC is dedicated to the endurance athlete and coach. With our industry leading software products, we're committed to
      help you monitor, analyze and plan your training. We encourage you to draw on our passion for excellence to help you reach your
      athletic dreams. Trusted by thousands. Dedicated to you.

      The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional Organization for the Running Industry.

      Check the "New Subscribers' note at the bottom of the newsletter

      Get our Syndicated headlines for your site.
      Add the Runner's Web News feed to your site through a simple JavaScript.
      Check out OnTri.com's implementation at:
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is now available through an RSS feed for myYahoo at:

      Get the Runner's Web News Feed via email from Squeet.com. Sign up at:

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet Explorer from the link on our FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com . We have added a button for Lauren Groves, Triathlete.

      If anyone is looking for a web mail provider, you might wish to consider Google's GMail. Currently you can get GMail by invitation
      only from a current user. My stock of "invites" has been replenished. If you are interested in getting FREE GMail account, contact
      me at: mailto:kparker@... .

      Race Directors:
      Advertise your event on the Runner's Web.

      THIS WEEK:
      Nick Grosdanis of Toronto, Ontario has won the February Pegasus Quiz by correctly identified the photo as Gabriela Andersen-Scheiss.
      He wins a copy of the award winning software for runners: RunLog by Pegasus Software. Check our FrontPage on the 1st of each
      month for this quiz.

      Last week's Digest was delivered late due to problems with Yahoo.

      Our latest advertiser is Training Peaks. Visit them at: http://www.trainingpeaks.com

      us at: mailto:webmaster@... or leave your comments in one of our Forums at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/forum.html
      or from our FrontPage.

      We have 2,218 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe
      at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RunnersWeb/join .

      RunnersWeb.com has teamed up with Active Trainer coaches to offer training programs that are a balance of aerobic, anaerobic and
      cross-training workouts. These training programs are built to get people of all levels across the finish line. From the first timer
      to the seasoned veteran you will find the right training plan for you. Good luck with your training and we will see you at the
      finish line.
      Training Log and Analysis:
      Log your daily workouts and monitor your progress along the way.
      Getting Started:
      Set a realistic goal for training. Review the list of training programs developed by Active Trainer Coaches. Select the program that
      best matches your current training schedule. If you have been inactive, select a conservative schedule to assure success and
      decrease the risk of injury. Plug in the start date or the date of your target race and go! The schedule will automatically be
      entered into your log. It is as simple as that...
      Select the daily email to receive your training by the day or log on to your account and review the entire schedule. Use the
      interactive log to enter in valuable training information. The more information you enter in your personal log, the better. You will
      be able to use this information in the future to evaluate performance, keep track of what works and what doesn't and stay motivated
      to see just how far you've come.
      Sign up at: www.RunnersWebCoach.com OR http://training.active.com/ActiveTrainer/listing.do?listing=51

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey.
      Sheila is one of Ottawa's top multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public
      Health and works in the field of nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the University of California, San Diego. Her
      column index is available at:

      * Carmichael Training Systems
      Carmichael Training Systems was founded in 1999 by Chris Carmichael.
      From the beginning, the mission of the company has been to improve the lives of individuals we work with through the application of
      proper and effective fitness and competitive training techniques. Whether your focus is recreational, advanced, or you are a
      professional racer, the coaching methodology employed by CTS will make you a better athlete. Check the latest monthly column from
      CTS at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/cts_columns.html.
      Carmichael Training Systems at:

      * Peak Performance Online
      Peak Performance is a subscription-only newsletter for athletes, featuring the latest research from the sports science world. We
      cover the whole range of sports, from running and rowing to cycling and swimming, and each issue is packed full of exclusive
      information for anyone who's serious about sport. It's published 16 times a year, including four special reports, by Electric Word
      plc. Peak Performance is not available in the shops - only our subscribers are able to access the valuable information we publish.
      Visit the PPO site at:
      Peak Performance Online:

      * Peak Running Performance
      Peak Running Is The Nation's Most Advanced Running Newsletter. Rated as the #1 Running Publication by Road Runner Sports (Worlds
      Largest Running Store) , Peak Running caters to the serious / dedicated runner. Delivering world class running advice are some of
      running's most recognizable athletes including Dr. Joe Vigil (US Olympic Coach),
      Scott Tinley (2 Time Ironman Champ) Steve Scott (3 Time Olympian) and many more. This bi-monthly newsletter has been around for over
      13 years, and in the past two it has been awarded the "Golden Shoe Award" in recognition of it's outstanding achievements.

      Running Research News:
      RRN's free, weekly, training update provides subscribers with the most-current, practical, scientifically based information about
      training, sports nutrition, injury prevention, and injury rehabilitation. The purpose of this weekly e-zine is to improve
      subscribers' training quality and to help them train in an injury-free manner.
      Running Research News also publishes a complete, 12-page, electronic newsletter 10 times a year (one-year subscriptions are $35); to
      learn more about Running Research News, please see the Online Article Index and "About Running Research News" sections below or go
      to RRNews.com.
      Check out the article index at:

      We have NO personal postings this week.

      1. Science of Sport: Hydration In The Marathon: Too Little Or Too Much – Zeroing In On Safe Replacement
      2. VO2 Max Newsletter
      3. The Games of the XXIII Olympaid: Los Angeles, 1984
      4. 30 Years of Marathon Training
      We Know MORE, But It's Still 26.2 Miles.
      5. Study finds dieting, exercise equally good at taking off pounds
      6. Run a Marathon in One Year: A Long-term Training Schedule for Beginners
      7. For Running Speed, Hit The Hills All Season
      8. "Steady" Thoughts By Rich Strauss
      9. Boomers are getting banged up
      Baby boomers are finding more pain, with little gain, while exercising, leading many to look for better ways of staying fit.
      10. Is Exercise Really Good For Heart Failure Patients?
      11. Unhappy Meals
      Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.
      12. Get Strong Legs
      A few quick exercises are all you need to get a strong lower body.
      13. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine
      14. Owner's Manual: Thirty Years of Carbo-loading
      Improved Endurance & Delayed Fatigue
      15. Tech Report, with Lennard Zinn: The science behind the sport - Part II
      16. Strength and Endurance - Friends or Foes?
      17. This Week in Running
      18. Base Mistakes
      19. Suspension Training: How Risky Is It?
      20. Digest Briefs

      "Do you support the lottery system for entry into races such as Ironman Hawaii, the New York and London Marathons?"

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage ( http://www.runnersweb.com) as well as checking the results of previous polls.

      Have you considered moderating your exercise routine as a result of the recent news headline - "Athletes' heart condition linked to
      exercise-induced damage"?
      [Read the story at: http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/22012007/3/athletes-heart-condition-linked-exercise-induced-damage-study.html]
      Answers Percent
      1. Yes 30%
      2. No 70%

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE WEEK: Derval O'Rourke - Official Site
      Derval began competing in hurdles with local club Leevale AC in her native Cork. She was extremely successful at underage level,
      holding both the Irish Indoor and Outdoor records. On the back of her underage success, she was offered an Athletics Scholarship at
      University College Dublin in 2000 and graduated from there in 2003 with a Degree in Arts, the same year that she ran in the IAAF
      World Indoor Championships in Birmingham. Derval completed her academic career with a Business Postgraduate from the Michael Smurfit
      Graduate School of Business in 2004.
      2004 also say Derval compete at the Olympics in Athens, but an injury she sustained in the build up to the games severely hampered
      her chances. In 2005 she ran in the European Indoor Athletics Championships in Madrid and the World Student Games in Izmir, where
      she won the bronze medal in the 100 metre hurdles.
      Dervals breakthrough came when she took gold in the 60 metre hurdles at the World Indoor Championships in Moscow in March of 2006,
      breaking her own Irish record in the process. By doing so she became the only Irish female athlete to win a world indoor title. The
      win confirmed Dervals astonishing rise through the world athletics ranks.
      During the summer of 2006 Derval continued to break her own Irish 100 metre hurdles record at meets throughout Europe. Derval
      finished off a fantastic 2006 season with a silver medal winning performance in the 100 metres hurdles at the European Championships
      in Gothenburg in August, recording a time of 12.72 in the process, yet another Irish record.
      Derval is now looking forward to the 2007 season, when she hopes to become the first Irish female athlete to make the final of a
      sprint event at a major championship, when she competes in the World Championships in Osaka in August.
      Check out her site at:

      BOOK OF THE WEEK: Olympic Marathon: A Centennial History of the Games' Most Storied Race
      By Charlie Lovett
      Lovett examines the Olympic marathon race from its inception in 1896 through each Olympic game. His book is filled with historical
      facts and significant details about each marathon from start to finish. The character of the runners is often described, which makes
      the events more vivid to the reader.... This book is the first comprehensive work on what the author calls 'the most unpredictable
      contest,' the Olympic marathon. Highly recommended for all those interested in the Olympic Games and especially for runners.”–Choice

      “The real strength of Lovett's book is in its recounting of each Olympic marathon....As a reference book for those interested in who
      participated, who won which marathon, when, where, and in what fashion, this book should be very useful.”–OLYMPIKA: The
      International Journal of Olympic Studies
      Book Description
      For the first time, the complete history of the most famous race in the Olympic Games has been presented in Olympic Marathon--A
      Centennial History of the Games' Most Storied Race. Beginning with the legends of ancient Greece, this book traces the process of
      reviving the Olympic movement, including the establishment of the marathon--the only event specifically created for the 1896
      Olympics. Following heroes such as Dorando Pietri, Emil Zatopek, Abebe Bikila, and Frank Shorter, the book includes a complete
      analysis of every Olympic marathon as well as tales from the lives of the runners. The stories of John Hayes, who won the race with
      the help of strychnine; 1936 winner Sohn Kee Chung, a South Korean forced to compete for Japan; and Mamo Wolde, who won the marathon
      with an infected toe only to end up as a political prisoner in Ethiopia, make this book much more than a sports history. The story
      of the long struggle to establish a women's marathon begins with a lonely female who ran the marathon course in 1896 and ends with
      the dramatic victory of American Joan Benoit in the first women's Olympic marathon in 1984. Completely up to date, the book
      concludes with chapters on the races in Atlanta in 1996, including the closest finish in Olympic marathon history. An appendix,
      photographs, and an index complete this history. An invaluable resource for all interested in the Olympics and marathon running.
      Buy the book from Amazon at:

      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html and

      1. Science of Sport: Hydration In The Marathon: Too Little Or Too Much – Zeroing In On Safe Replacement:
      Prior to 1969, marathon runners were advised against drinking during exercise since it was believed that this practice impaired
      exercise performance[1]. There is no published evidence that this advice harmed those who adopted it. Indeed when cyclist Tom
      Simpson died as a result of amphetamine-induced heatstroke whilst ascending Mount Ventoux during the 13th stage of the 1967 Tour de
      France[2], the cycling authorities did not alter their advice that cyclists should: “Avoid drinking when racing, especially in hot
      weather. Drink as little as possible, and with the liquid not too cold. It is only a question of will power. When you drink too much
      you will perspire, and you will lose your strength…..Four small bottles for a long stage [of the Tour], it is frowned upon to drink
      more”[2] (p 180). Rather this tragedy introduced the first attempts at doping control in sport. Thus as recently as 1967, a failure
      to drink much during exercise was not considered dangerous.
      Elsewhere[3] I have argued that there is no evidence proving that athletes who drink sparingly during exercise develop specific
      medical complications. Others argue that our ability to sweat profusely whilst exercising in the heat (and thus to become
      “dehydrated”) is one of the most important determinants of human evolution. Thermal biologist Berndt Heinrich[4] theorises that
      humans evolved specifically to undertake prolonged exercise in the heat: ““The fact that we, as savanna-adapted, animals have such
      hypertrophied sweating responses implies that, if we are naturally so profligate with water, it can only be because of some very big
      advantage. The most likely advantage was that it permitted us to perform prolonged exercise in the heat. We don’t need a sweating
      response to outrun predators, because that requires relatively short, fast sprinting, where accumulating a heat load is, like a
      lactic acid load, acceptable. What we do need sweating for, is to sustain running in the heat of the day – the time when most
      predators retire into the shade” (p. 174).
      That humans evolved to run long distances would seem now to be an accepted theory[5]. Since early humans likely ran in conditions in
      which water was either scarce or could not be carried since it would interfere with their purpose, it also seems highly probable
      that an evolving ability to run long distances in the heat included the capacity to do so whilst drinking sparingly. Indeed Heinrich
      concludes that modern hunter-gatherers, like the !Kung San Bushmen of Southern Africa “carry no food or water with them (on 30km
      hunts in the heat) because that hinders their ability to travel” (p. 180).
      More...from the Runner's Web at:

      2. VO2 Max Newsletter:
      * Resting Metabolic Rate
      (excerpted from Karp, J.R. The Resting Metabolic Rate
      Debate. Fitness Management. Jan. 2007.)
      Among fitness professionals, the often (over)-used argument is that strength training will add muscle, which will increase people's
      metabolic rates and, over time, will help them lose weight because muscles are "fat-burning machines." However, research has shown
      that each pound of fat-free weight burns about 8 to 15 calories per day, a negligible amount when you consider the 3,500-calorie
      deficit it takes to lose just one pound, and much lower than what is often publicized in the fitness community. Therefore, if a
      person gains two pounds of muscle, he or she will burn an extra 16 to 30 calories per day, taking 117 to 219 days to burn one
      pound's worth of calories. But since it takes a 3,500-calorie deficit compared to the number of calories consumed to lose one pound,
      not just a 3,500-calorie expenditure, it will actually take much longer to lose one pound from adding two pounds of muscle mass.
      If you've ever measured people's resting metabolic rates in a laboratory, as I have, you'll discover that it doesn't differ much
      between people, including between those who are fat and lean, averaging about 200 to 250 milliliters of oxygen per minute, or about
      3.5 milliliters of oxygen per kilogram of body mass per minute. This equates to about 9 to 11 calories per pound of body mass per
      day. As people lose weight (when caloric expenditure is greater than caloric intake, also referred to as negative energy balance),
      research has shown that resting metabolic rate decreases despite the maintenance of muscle mass from weight training. Since no
      research has shown that resting metabolic rate is maintained much less increased when people are in negative energy balance, how can
      fitness professionals suggest that weight training increases resting metabolic rate resulting in weight loss?
      While a few studies have shown that resting metabolic rate (or total daily caloric expenditure) increases in response to either an
      aerobic or weight training program, many more studies have shown that it does not. It has also been shown that resting metabolic
      rate is not significantly different between people of different aerobic fitness levels and is independent of training status.
      Studies reporting an increase in resting metabolic rate have often been conducted on older adults who are more likely to show
      increases in
      resting metabolic rate due to the attenuating effect of weight training on age-associated losses in muscle mass. Additionally,
      resting metabolic rate can be increased partially as a result of increasing caloric intake that often accompanies the increase in
      caloric expenditure with exercise (in other words, you typically eat more when you exercise more).
      So what's the bottom line? Exercise is not likely to change your resting metabolic rate much, unless you're older and have lost a
      significant amount of muscle mass over the years. If adding some muscle mass by weight training does increase resting metabolic
      rate, it does so only slightly, not by enough to significantly impact weight loss. You lose weight
      by expending more calories than you consume, not by trying to change your metabolism at rest.
      * Detraining and Fitness
      Have you ever gone on vacation and worried about losing your fitness? When you stop training, you can expect to lose some fitness
      because you've removed the stimulus for adaptation. However, small reductions in training for a short time (about one week) won't
      hurt your overall fitness and may even help, since it gives your muscles a chance to recuperate from all the hard work. That's why
      most competitive athletes taper their training before important competitions. When you stop training, the loss of aerobic endurance
      is greater than the loss of strength and power, so if you're pressed for time while you're away from the gym, it's better to go for
      a run than to lift weights. Your muscles' ability to use oxygen decreases after two weeks of inactivity, initially due to a
      decrease in blood volume (which decreases cardiac output) and subsequently due to decreases in mitochondrial aerobic enzyme
      activity. However, the activity of the enzymes involved in the oxygen-independent (anaerobic) pathways doesn't decrease as much or
      as quickly, so you can maintain your strength for a longer time.
      * To view past newsletters go to: http://www.runcoachjason.com/newsletter
      Copyright Jason Karp All Rights Reserved - http://www.runcoachjason.com

      3. The Games of the XXIII Olympaid: Los Angeles, 1984:
      Excerpted from Olympic Marathon, by Charlie Lovett
      Following as it did the long battle for inclusion in Olympic competition, the race that took place on August 5, 1984 was something
      like a victory lap for all women marathoners.
      Among the favored starters were Norwegian Grete Waitz, who had never lost a marathon she had finished; Portugal's Rosa Mota, who had
      won the marathon in the European Championships in 1982; and American Joan Benoit, who had set the world record of 2:22:43 in the
      woman's record many times and had run the first sub-2:30 marathons, had never met Benoit in a marathon race.
      Benoit was born in Cape Elizabeth, Maine, in 1957. Her earliest athletic passion was skiing, taught to her by her father who had
      been an army skier during World War II. As a high school sophomore she broke her leg on the slopes. As part of her recovery from
      that accident she began to run and she found that she liked running just as much as skiing.
      In college she played field hockey while continuing to run. When she showed up at practice one day sore from a thirteen-mile run the
      day before, the coach made her sit out the rest of the season and Benoit quit the team and started running full time. In 1979 she
      entered the Boston Marathon, her second marathon ever, as a Bowdoin College senior and won the women's division, setting an American
      record in the process.
      After graduation, Benoit worked as the women's track and cross-country coach at Boston University while she continued to train 100
      miles a week. With the promise of the first ever women's Olympic Marathon in 1984, Benoit hoped to be in her best shape ever so she
      could make a run for the gold.
      More...from the Runner's Web at:

      4. 30 Years of Marathon Training;
      We Know MORE, But It's Still 26.2 Miles.
      By Jonathan Beverly
      "There’s no race that’s simpler to prepare for than the marathon," wrote Mark Conover in our pages in 1996. Five years later, Pete
      Pfitzinger echoed him, writing, "While running a marathon isn’t easy, training for it should be relatively simple."
      If this is the case — and who am I to question two Olympians — I postulated that I should be able to sort through all the marathon
      training articles published in RT over the past 30 years and find the essential, core principles by which to make all those
      four-page, four-month, four-point-font charts "simple." I also wanted to see what may have changed in those 30 years since RT began
      publishing marathon training programs.
      One way of making it simpler is to isolate which marathoners we’re talking about. Beginning marathoners have different priorities
      and different programs than experienced marathoners. In the very first marathon training program RT published, penned by Tom Allison
      in February 1980 (coincidentally, the same year I first ran the marathon), we laid out our target audience:
      This article is addressed to individuals between these two extremes [first-timer and elite]. If you have been running seriously for
      at least one year, have progressed up to 50 or more miles per week, and have completed at least one full marathon, then you may be
      ready to begin a training program that will enable you to run the fastest marathon possible for your age, sex, and genetic
      With very few exceptions, all of our marathon training articles since then, some two dozen of them, have been aimed at the same
      runners. While this simplifies the parameters, it complicates the training, since for first timers, all that is required is adequate
      miles and some long runs, as Jeff Galloway spelled out in a crash-course for the 100th Boston, or as John Treacy said in the intro
      to his 1994 article:
      Running a marathon is easy. All you have to do is put in the miles — perhaps 35 a week or so — more or less regularly, and you’ll be
      able to complete the course. To be sure, you shouldn’t be in any particular hurry, and you may need to walk from time to time, but
      you will get to the finish line. . . . Racing a marathon, however, is an entirely different matter.
      More...from Running Times at:

      5. Study finds dieting, exercise equally good at taking off pounds:
      Eating less and exercising more are equally good at helping take off the pounds, US researchers said yesterday in a study that
      challenges many of the popular tenets of the multibillion-dollar diet and fitness industry.
      Tests on overweight people show that a calorie is just a calorie, whether lost by dieting or by running, they said.
      They found there is no way to selectively lose belly fat, for instance, or trim thighs. And their carefully controlled study
      bolstered evidence that adding muscle mass does not boost metabolism and help dieters take off even more weight.
      "It's all about the calories," said Dr. Eric Ravussin of Pennington Biomedical Research Center, part of Louisiana State University
      in Baton Rouge.
      "So long as the energy deficit is the same, body weight, fat weight, and abdominal fat will all decrease in the same way."
      Ravussin said the study, published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, is one of the few done under controlled
      conditions that can actually demonstrate what happens to a human body while dieting and exercising.
      More...from the Boston Globe at:
      [Long URL]

      6. Run a Marathon in One Year: A Long-term Training Schedule for Beginners:
      Up to now, perhaps your only interest in marathons has been as a spectator. Or maybe you thought about running a marathon, but
      figured such an achievement was outside your grasp. Well, if that’s the case, I’m here to tell you that you, too, are capable of
      running a marathon! Equipped with motivation and a proper regimen, you can run 26.2 miles.
      You might question your ability to commit to such a significant undertaking with no prior long-distance running experience. But if
      you follow the training program for beginners that world-renowned coach Dieter Hogen has set up, you’ll discover that prior running
      isn’t needed to be successful. (Of course, if you’ve been involved in other sports, you’ll probably adapt to the program quicker,
      but again, this background isn’t a necessity.) There’s only one qualification needed to realize your dream of running a marathon
      when utilizing Coach Hogen’s program - motivation. By applying this desire in conjunction with Coach Hogen’s schedule, you’ll be
      able to run a marathon within twelve short months.
      To be successful, it’s important to find purpose in your running, whether it’s to lose weight, improve your self-esteem or
      experience the international marathon phenomenon. Combined with the training schedule, this purpose gives you what you need to stand
      on the starting line next year at one of the world’s greatest marathon races, such as Berlin, London, Chicago or New York. It’s now
      up to you, to lace up your shoes and take that magic step out the door.
      A few things beforehand: Running is healthy, brings you lots of fun and increases your overall productivity. Besides, running gives
      you a good figure. However, before you start running, you should talk about it with your doctor and have a complete medical
      check-up. It’s also important to get expert advice on running shoes, ideally from a local running store.
      More...from Uta Pippig at:

      7. For Running Speed, Hit The Hills All Season:
      A healthy dose of hill running should be included in your workouts each week. Hill work is some of the most productive training you
      can perform. There is no doubt that runners who regularly hit the hills get faster. However, you should vary your hill routines,
      throughout the season just as you should vary your training. Because hill work is more stressful, progression is important.
      Outdoors vs. Treadmill
      I am often asked if running outdoors is more productive than running on the treadmill. The answer is that they both have their place
      in a good running plan. The advantage of the treadmill is that you can set your work-out parameters. If you are trying to keep your
      heart rate down during base training, you simply select a pace that keeps your heart rate in zone. With hill work you can vary the
      pace and incline to create just the right amount of stress for your workout. It may be hard to find a long hill with a steady
      incline so the treadmill can create just that. You do not want to start off your hill work with too steep of an incline. With the
      treadmill you can increase the incline slightly each week and the resistance is constant. That being said, many athletes find it
      difficult to stay focused indoors on a treadmill. It is important to include runs on varied terrain and downhill. The treadmill does
      not provide this. As you get closer to your goal race, I recommend trying to duplicate the race course and spend less time on the
      Hill Progression
      The most important aspect of base training is staying aerobic and keeping your heart rate down. Hills will obviously drive your
      heart rate up but that does not mean you should eliminate them in base training. In fact, this is the best time to build a strength
      basis for the season. As the season progresses, intensity should as well. The following workouts are in order of progression
      throughout the season. It is important to follow this progression or overtraining and / or injury could result.
      More...from BeatYourPB at:

      8. "Steady" Thoughts:
      By Rich Strauss
      A TC athlete was having some problems identifying his "Steady" intensity. To provide you with a frame of reference for this
      discussion, my LTHR on the bike is about 173-175. My Zone 1 ends at about 143 bpm.
      Rich: After riding with power for so long, I don't trust speed. No way to really know or quantify your impressions unless you are
      able to compare the watts. Having said that, you are doing the right training and moving toward cadences of 93+ is the way to go.
      Give it some time.
      As for average heart rate during these rides, don't look at the average for the entire ride, but rather holding Steady or a bit
      higher for long periods of time within the ride. For example, my AeT is about 142-145 and I put my Steady at about 147-150. When I
      make the switch from Easy to Steady, I just bump over 140 and then ride how I feel. If I don't look at the HR and just ride, I seem
      to settle in to about 145-146. If I then "think" about riding a little faster it will push into the high 140's. 150-155 takes a bit
      more focus and concentration. You might call this Upper Steady. I don't see anything over 155 unless I'm really "trying" to ride
      hard. I call 155-160+ as Moderate-Hard. The only time I push this for any length of time is with Jon. We¯ll ride side by side and
      just wind it up on a flat stretch. The interval ends when we reach "mutual consent," about 15 minutes, otherwise it would go on
      forever. We are too evenly matched.
      Apply this guidance to your own zones. Identify where your Steady and Upper Steady are and then spend a lot of time there.
      Disciplined rides with a small group of friends are best for this kind of work, as it takes your mind off the effort and reduces the
      PE of the session. One thing I've noticed this week is that the more time you spend in this Steady and Upper Steady intensity, the
      easier (mentally) it becomes. You know how when you first started running, when you left the door you would "jog" first and then
      start to "run" after about 15'? As you ride at Steady more, you go from JRA (just riding along) to Steady very easily. Today as I
      was riding down a long straight road I just automatically fell into my Steady zone of about 145 bpm and 235-240 watts. I didn't
      really have to think about it, it just happened.
      More...from Crucible Fitness at:

      9. Boomers are getting banged up;
      Baby boomers are finding more pain, with little gain, while exercising, leading many to look for better ways of staying fit:
      When Arnold Schwarzenegger, 59, fell on the ski slopes last month, the snap of his breaking femur joined a sort of sad symphony.
      Same with the thud of President Bush, 60, falling face-first off his mountain bike.
      And the growing choir of torn tendons, strained muscles and grinding joints from the generation that hoped to die before it got old.
      The boomers are breaking.
      The oldest of the almost 80 million baby boomers -- Americans born between 1946 and 1964 -- are turning 61. The problem is, many are
      still exercising with a regimen and mind-set of folks half that age.
      Sports-related injuries among boomers jumped 33 percent between 1991 and 1998, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
      Those injuries are the No. 2 reason for doctor office visits, behind only the common cold.
      More than a million boomers a year are getting injured in the gym, on the court or in the weight room. There's even a word for the
      growing members of banged-up middle-agers: ``boomeritis.''
      Their generation toppled barriers, changed the culture and, of course, ignited the fitness boom. It's no surprise that so many
      believe they can keep working out like a 30-year-old,
      too. And that's part of the problem.
      ''In their mind, they would like to be just as fit as they were when they were younger,'' said Julie Glodich, fitness supervisor at
      Case Western Reserve University's 121 Fitness Center in Cleveland. 'Or be `the hot grandma.' ''
      While their attitude continues to soar, their bodies remain on the ground, limping.
      Dr. Paul Gubanich, 32, a primary-care sports-medicine physician with the Cleveland Clinic, likes the can-do mind-set but wants to
      rechannel it. The boomers, he said, need to think a bit differently about their bodies.
      More...from the Miami Herald at:

      10. Is Exercise Really Good For Heart Failure Patients?
      Cardiologists at Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center are helping to lead a large international study involving 83 other
      sites that will test 3,000 patients in an effort to determine whether exercise really is good for heart failure patients.
      Though doctors have promoted the value of exercise for a variety of disorders for years, "exercise training has not been
      definitively established as safe in the group of patients who primarily have heart failure," said Dalane W. Kitzman M.D., a
      cardiologist who is principal investigator at Wake Forest Baptist, and colleagues, writing in the American Heart Journal.
      "Controlled clinical trials have shown that exercise training improves physiological measurements" such as the distance that
      patients can walk in six minutes, they said after analyzing 14 trials. "None of these trials enrolled a sufficient number of
      patients to properly evaluate the impact of exercise training on death and hospitalization."
      The new trial, called Heart Failure and A Controlled Trial Investigating Outcomes of Exercise Training (HF-ACTION) "is the largest
      randomized clinical trial of exercise training ever performed," Kitzman said. "The trial represents a critical step in establishing
      exercise as a therapy for patients with left ventricular dysfunction" (reduced heart contractions).
      More...from Science Daily at:

      11. Unhappy Meals:
      Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.
      That, more or less, is the short answer to the supposedly incredibly complicated and confusing question of what we humans should eat
      in order to be maximally healthy. I hate to give away the game right here at the beginning of a long essay, and I confess that I’m
      tempted to complicate matters in the interest of keeping things going for a few thousand more words. I’ll try to resist but will go
      ahead and add a couple more details to flesh out the advice. Like: A little meat won’t kill you, though it’s better approached as a
      side dish than as a main. And you’re much better off eating whole fresh foods than processed food products. That’s what I mean by
      the recommendation to eat “food.” Once, food was all you could eat, but today there are lots of other edible foodlike substances in
      the supermarket. These novel products of food science often come in packages festooned with health claims, which brings me to a
      related rule of thumb: if you’re concerned about your health, you should probably avoid food products that make health claims. Why?
      Because a health claim on a food product is a good indication that it’s not really food, and food is what you want to eat.
      Uh-oh. Things are suddenly sounding a little more complicated, aren’t they? Sorry. But that’s how it goes as soon as you try to get
      to the bottom of the whole vexing question of food and health. Before long, a dense cloud bank of confusion moves in. Sooner or
      later, everything solid you thought you knew about the links between diet and health gets blown away in the gust of the latest
      Last winter came the news that a low-fat diet, long believed to protect against breast cancer, may do no such thing — this from the
      monumental, federally financed Women’s Health Initiative, which has also found no link between a low-fat diet and rates of coronary
      disease. The year before we learned that dietary fiber might not, as we had been confidently told, help prevent colon cancer. Just
      last fall two prestigious studies on omega-3 fats published at the same time presented us with strikingly different conclusions.
      While the Institute of Medicine stated that “it is uncertain how much these omega-3s contribute to improving health” (and they might
      do the opposite if you get them from mercury-contaminated fish), a Harvard study declared that simply by eating a couple of servings
      of fish each week (or by downing enough fish oil), you could cut your risk of dying from a heart attack by more than a third — a
      stunningly hopeful piece of news. It’s no wonder that omega-3 fatty acids are poised to become the oat bran of 2007, as food
      scientists micro-encapsulate fish oil and algae oil and blast them into such formerly all-terrestrial foods as bread and tortillas,
      milk and yogurt and cheese, all of which will soon, you can be sure, sprout fishy new health claims. (Remember the rule?)
      More...from the NY Times at:

      12. Get Strong Legs:
      A few quick exercises are all you need to get a strong lower body.
      At mile 20 of the 1993 world championships marathon, mark plaatjes was trailing the leader by more than a minute. Then he kicked
      into overdrive and overtook Lucketz Swartbooi to win the race. Plaatjes, now 45, credits his surge not only to high mileage and
      track work, but also to the time he spent building powerful legs. Today, the Boulder, Colorado, coach and physical therapist makes
      sure his charges strength train two or three times a week. "When you get tired, your strength will pull you through," he says.
      Multiple studies show that regular strength training can improve running economy-how efficiently the body uses oxygen-by as much as
      eight percent, translating into greater speed and more muscle endurance. And it makes sense for runners to focus on their most
      important body part. "Strong legs also mean more power on the hills," says Bob Larsen, who coaches elite marathoner Meb Keflezighi.
      Since many runners have a hard enough time squeezing workouts into their busy lives, we asked Plaatjes and Larsen for exercises that
      deliver maximum benefits in minimal time. Their picks for the most essential moves develop strength where runners need it most-in
      the core and legs-and correct the natural muscular imbalances caused by running, which can lead to injury and loss of speed. And the
      exercises can be done at home in about 15 minutes (see "Faster in Five," next page). "It's amazing how little it takes-just a few
      minutes each week," says Larsen.
      More...from Runner's World at:
      [Long URL]

      13. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine:
      * Efficiency in Running Form
      Most experienced runners can tell when other runners are in shape just by watching them run. They look for efficiency, a measure of
      how much energy is lost by wasteful movements during running. You run with your legs and all of your other movements are used just
      to balance your body. The main reason you don’t fall when you are walking or running is that your brain constructs a "center of
      gravity", a point around which all movements on one side are balanced by equal movements on the other side. For example, when your
      right leg goes forward, your left arm goes forward and your right arm goes backward. You do this without thinking and your movements
      are automatically calculated in your brain.
      A study from The Hospital of Laval in France shows that even the best runners lose their efficiency when they become fatigued
      (Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, June 2006). Experienced runners have consistent stride length and form. This study
      shows that with fatigue, their stride length decreases and, more importantly, they start to lose form by adding a significant amount
      of side-to-side movement that wastes energy and does not drive them forward.
      Running slowly does not teach your brain how to balance your body when you run fast. Good form comes from practicing running very
      fast in training. People who run slowly all the time usually have poor running form. They waste movements that do not help them move
      forward. For example, their feet often move to the side after they raise their feet from the ground. Their arms do not move loosely
      and comfortably to balance their bodies. They may run with toes pointed outward, which is a sign of weak shin muscles. If you want
      to improve your running form, run faster a few times every week.
      * Dear Dr. Mirkin: You’ve said that inflammation can lead to a heart attack; won't I cause inflammation when I exercise so hard
      that my muscles hurt?
      A: Anything that damages tissue can cause inflammation, such as smoking, high cholesterol or hypertension. When a germ gets into
      your body, your immunity produces proteins called antibodies, white blood cells and cytokines that kill germs. However, as soon as
      the germ is gone, your immunity is supposed to shut down. If it doesn’t shut down, these same factors attack and destroy your body
      tissues; this is called inflammation. Inflammation increases risk for heart attacks, strokes, certain cancers, and diabetes and even
      worsens diseases such as psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis, and asthma.
      Many scientists have expressed concern that hard exercise damages muscles, so it may turn on inflammation and harm you. However, a
      study from Verona, Italy shows that hard exercise does not cause inflammation (Journal of the Canadian Medical Association, October
      25, 2005). It measured C reactive protein, a blood test that indicates inflammation, and showed that there was no difference in
      levels in sedentary people, those who cycle for fitness, competitive professional bicycle racers and international-class cross
      country skiers. So muscle damage from hard exercise does not increase inflammation.
      * Older Exercisers Recover as Fast as Children
      As lifelong exercisers age, they find they can’t hit a tennis ball or golf ball as hard, run as fast, lift as heavy, or perform as
      well, whatever their sport. A study from Yokohama City University in Japan shows that this gradual decline is caused by loss of
      muscle strength. However, the most significant finding of the study was that older men can recover from hard workouts as quickly as
      younger men (Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism, June 2006). Another encouraging study in the same journal, from the
      University of Southern California in Los Angeles, shows that men over 60 who exercise regularly are far stronger than their
      non-exercising counterparts.
      A study from Brock University in Canada also shows that older people can recover from hard exercise as fast as young children can
      (Exercise and Sports Science Reviews, July 2006). The authors feel that previous studies on the subject are flawed. Since children
      cannot exercise at the same intensity as older people can, they do not put as much stress on their muscles as older people do and
      therefore do not suffer as much muscle damage. It is the decreased intensity causing less muscle damage that allows children to
      appear to recover faster from all-out exercise. Children can put only about 60 to 80 percent of the power per weight exerted by
      adults. They do not work as hard during intense exercise, evidenced by far less lactic acid in their blood streams. Children can do
      more repeat sets of lifting heavy weights because they do not lift as close to their maximum as adults do. They can do more
      "attempted all out" wind sprints than adults do because they don’t work as close to their maximum. So the decline in athletic
      performance with aging is not caused by failure to recover from hard exercise.
      If you are an older athlete who competes in sports, you will be able to recover from your hard training days as fast as younger
      athletes, but you will gradually lose strength, speed and coordination.
      Every muscle in your body is made of millions of individual fibers. Each fiber is enervated by a single nerve that causes it to
      contract. With aging, you lose nerve fibers. So with each loss of a nerve fiber, you lose use of the corresponding muscle fiber and,
      with fewer functioning muscle fibers, you lose strength. Coordination drops also because of the loss of nerve fibers. Since speed
      depends on strength, you also lose speed.
      However, if you exercise regularly, you enlarge each of the remaining individual muscle fibers. Even if you have fewer functioning
      fibers, the larger individual fibers can generate more force to make you stronger.
      The good news from these studies is that the same training principles apply at any age. Even if you cannot compete effectively
      against younger people, you are likely to find yourself winning age-group competitions as your peers drop out. If you are not a
      regular exerciser, it’s never too late to start.
      From Dr. Gabe Mirkin at:

      14. Owner's Manual: Thirty Years of Carbo-loading:
      Improved Endurance & Delayed Fatigue.
      Thirty years ago, long distance runners added a new tool to their arsenal: an innovative diet technique termed "carbohydrate
      delayed fatigue. The concept was further developed when the role of glycogen was defined in endurance sports.
      To prepare, the athletes would exercise strenuously for several days while on a very low-carb diet (less than 10 percent of total
      calories), a process called "glycogen stripping." This was followed by two or three days of a high-carb diet (90 percent) and
      minimal exercise. Although it saturated glycogen stores in the liver and muscle, runners were apprehensive on race day because of
      the restrictions on training, and they often experienced heaviness in their legs, indigestion, hypoglycemia and ketosis. There was
      also mounting evidence of adverse effects on the kidney and heart functions of older runners.
      By the 80s, the practice had taken on a gentler quality known as "tapering." The glycogen depletion phase was eliminated; athletes
      reduced their training during the week before the event while maintaining a moderate-carb diet.
      Soon after, it became apparent that the primary stimulus for glycogen repletion is exercise. Routine training plus three days of
      high carbs could fill reserves. Or not. Some athletes resorted to "loaf-loading," in which they would carbo-load but not exercise at
      all during the days preceding the event.
      Today, carbohydrate loading has morphed into the common culture of all runners, if not for the competitive edge, then for the
      camaraderie, as the pre-event "carbo-loading dinner" has become part of the festivities of many marathons.
      More...from Running Times at:

      15. Tech Report, with Lennard Zinn: The science behind the sport - Part II:
      By Lennard Zinn
      VeloNews technical writer
      Last week (http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/11504.0.html) I reported on the first day of the Cycling Science Symposium
      and Expo at the Hotel Boulderado in Boulder, Colorado.
      The conference featured a second day of lectures, followed by a third expo day at which purveyors of equipment and services for
      improving cycling performance offered their products for public view. Tied up by other commitments, I was unable to attend the expo,
      but I did find the second lecture day to be fascinating.
      Computer-modeling your muscles
      Dan Heil, Ph.D., FACSM, an associate professor of exercise physiology at Montana State University in Bozeman gave a very interesting
      talk about using computer modeling the determine optimal cycling position. Starting at the level of the sarcomere, building up to
      the myofibril to the muscle fiber and finally to a complete skeletal muscle, and looking at the force versus length curve for each
      of these sub-units, Heil explained how torque on a joint applied by a skeletal muscle could be predicted and modeled.
      By understanding these relationships at their most rudimentary levels, he described how training at different joint angles (i.e.,
      changing to a new position on the bike) could change the number of sarcomeres, which could change the muscle force vs. length curve
      and hence the muscle torque vs. joint angle, ultimately changing the ability to generate power.
      Heil described a considerable volume of research focused on the subject of body position on the bike and efficiency. In his own
      work, for example, Heil studied the relationship between hip angle and oxygen uptake for a rider on a bike.
      Heil created computer models of rider hip angle vs. seat-tube angle and how the optimal position in terms of seat angle, for
      instance, could be predicted from research into rider oxygen uptake at various hip angles. The model can further predict how much
      the rider's wind drag varies with seat angle and combine the two to optimize the chosen saddle position.
      More...from Velo News at:

      16. Strength and Endurance - Friends or Foes?
      Long discussed, contested, and practiced is the idea of using strength training to enhance or improve endurance performance. As a
      physiologist, coach, former elite triathlete, and strength and conditioning specialist, I do have some experience in this area. In
      fact, I am asked the question of whether endurance athletes should perform strength training several times each week. I was
      involved in research regarding this very topic during my graduate studies - and no, I can't tell you with 100% scientific back-up
      that it is either beneficial or harmful to endurance performance. I can tell you that for every scientific paper that touts a
      benefit of strength training on endurance performance, there is at least one paper that proves the opposite - that strength training
      interferes with improvements in endurance, as well as the converse. Unfortunately, most of the literature on the topic has missed
      the boat in several areas - at least as it applies to serious endurance athletes.
      First, most of the subjects in the studies that have evaluated concurrent strength and endurance (let's simpify this to S-E
      training) have used initially sedentary subjects. To make the leap of faith that an untrained person will respond in a similar
      fashion to a highly trained (or even well-trained) endurance athlete is one that I'm not ready to make...are you? Second, most
      training studies have used very short durations of concurrent training such that there may not be the actual responses one would
      expect with either type of training. It has been shown that during the initial 8 weeks of strength training alone, the primary
      improvements in measured strength are due to improved neuromuscular firing and coordination - not in any real change in the muscle
      fibers' ability to produce force. So, most studies 8-weeks long or less out shouldn't even call themselves studies about strength
      We also know that endurance training changes can occur in 8-12 weeks, though it typically takes 4-6 months of consecutive
      training to reach peak endurance performance. To date, there has not been a study published that has utilized greater than 16-weeks
      of concurrent training - most ranged from 8-12 weeks. For me, I'd like to see what happens over 16-24 weeks to really have a firm
      grasp on what actually can and does happen. Another major problem with the existing research is that the strength protocols are
      standard 3 days per week with 3 sets of 10 repetitions performed doing movements that aren't specific to the sport(s) being trained.
      Does anyone really believe that doing bench press is going to improve running performance? I guess if the running performance
      measured is the running of the bulls...then being able to push your fellow competitors out of the way and avoid getting gored could
      be a considered a benefit. In most other running contexts, I can't think of any potential benefit of being able to push more weight
      with the upper body.
      More...from Inside Triathlon at:

      17. This Week in Running:
      10 Years Ago- Joseph Kimani (KEN) won the Gasparilla Distance Classic (FL/USA) 15K in 43:11,
      some 38 seconds ahead of runner-up Stephenson Nyamu (KEN) at 43:49. Another
      48 seconds back came Joseph LeMay (USA) at 44:37. World-record holder at this
      distance, Elana Meyer (RSA) took the women's race by nearly a minute, clocking
      48:48. Next were Joyce Chepchumba (KEN) in 49:42 and Ramilya Burangulova (RUS)
      in 49:58.
      20 Years Ago- Mauricio Gonzalez (MEX) won the Miami Orange Bowl (FL/USA) 10K by one second over
      compatriot Marcos Barreto, the two clocked in 28:30 and 28:31 respectively. Ed
      Eyestone (USA) was not far back at 28:34. Grete Waitz (NOR) won the women's race
      handily in 32:10, followed by Dorthe Rasmussen (DEN) in 32:44 and Nanette Davis
      (USA) in 33:17.
      30 Years Ago- Fernando Fernandez (ESP) won the Cross de San Sebastian (ESP) 10K by four seconds
      over James Brown (SCO). Jonathan Wild (ENG) was another 5 seconds back with
      Venanczio Ortis (ITA) next, another six seconds back. Maria Carmen Valero (ESP)
      won her 4th title here by 14 seconds over Joelle deBrouwer (FRA). Annie vanStiphout
      (NED) was 3rd, another second back.
      40 Years Ago- Kerry O'Brien (AUS) won an indoor two mile in Boston MA/USA with a 8:38.4, just
      edging Tom Laris (USA) who ran 8:38.8. David Ellis (CAN) was 3rd in 8:41.2.
      50 Years Ago- Jack Barry won the Shanahan Catholic Club (PA/USA) Marathon in 2:31:19. This race is
      still being held as the Philadelphia Marathon with a number of name changes in between.
      From The Analytical Distance Runner, the newsletter for the Association of Road Racing Statisticians with a focus on races, 3000m
      and longer, including road, track, and cross-country events.

      18. Base Mistakes:
      By Matt Russ
      A well-designed base training phase is crucial for annual progress, but it is often taken for granted as the “easy” time of year.
      Base is, in fact, the time to address aerobic level fitness, strength, and technique. To make the most of your base phase, you may
      need to dispose of a few myths and rationalizations.
      I need a month off. Coming off a peak or an Iron Man race, a good rest is in order, but total rest is not. Fitness atrophies very
      quickly, and 4 weeks off may require up to 8 to 12 weeks to regain the lost fitness. A transition phase is a much better plan. This
      is a time for your body to recover physically and mentally while maintaining a level of fitness. Some studies have shown training
      volume can be reduced by as much as 80%, yet a level of fitness will be maintained with a well-designed transition phase.
      Base=Miles. Training for a distance event such as a marathon or triathlon over several hours requires a lot of aerobic level miles.
      Base training for these events should mean a reduction from peak miles and more focus on strength, power, and form. Save the long
      workouts for the general preparation and race specific phases of training for these events.
      Everyone is in base. Base training is a type of training, not a season. Although most athletes perform their base training in the
      fall and winter, it is not written in stone. In fact, you can return to a shorter base period later in the season depending on the
      structure of your annual training plan. Let your race prioritization dictate the placement and duration of your base season. Some
      athletes do not race well in hot weather and may choose a fall or winter peak.
      Group training is great for base. Coaches have a long standing battle with the group rides. Put a few competitive athletes together
      for an easy base ride and it will quickly turn into a criterium. In order for a training stress to be effective, it must be
      accurate. That is not to say you can not train with others, but I recommend training with a partner or small group that is
      like-minded and of similar fitness capacity. Define the workout before you begin and realize that you may be at different paces from
      time to time.
      More...from TriFuel at:

      19. Suspension Training: How Risky Is It?
      NAVY Seals are legendary for their tiptop physical condition, but have you ever wondered how they stay fighting fit out in the
      Aaron Baldwin, 43, who retired in December as a master chief in the Seals, used to make barbells out of nothing more than plastic
      milk jugs, fresh concrete and a sturdy tree branch.
      “We’d make one weight and use it until we had to move and start over,” Mr. Baldwin said.
      Things changed in 2002, when a Navy Seal turned entrepreneur sent Mr. Baldwin a test model of the TRX system, a suspension gadget
      made of a pair of straps with handles joined by a metal clasp ring. To set it up, he only had to wrap the straps around a
      freestanding pole or over a thick branch. Strength training became as simple as placing his feet in stirrups to suspend them off the
      ground, then performing dozens of exercises like knee tucks or pushups.
      After 45 minutes of so-called suspension training, Mr. Baldwin exhausted his body from shoulders to calves using just the 170 pounds
      of his weight. Better yet, the two-pound straps rolled up to the size of a military bag lunch.
      In the last year suspension training has entered the mainstream after two kinds of straps landed on the market: TRX and Inkaflexx.
      They have attracted the attention of personal trainers and group fitness directors as strengthening tools that also improve balance
      and flexibility. Suspension workouts consist of either hanging the legs or leaning back while gripping the straps and then
      performing a variety of moves.
      More...from the NY Times at:

      20. Digest Briefs:
      * Physical Activity Improves Mood
      Physical activity improves mood and self-esteem and diminishes stress, anxiety and depression. Running can elevate your mood for up
      to four hours afterward
      * Training Tip - Consistency
      No other determinant of endurance success is as impo<br/><br/>(Message over 64 KB, truncated)