Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest - October 6, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2006
      those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out
      our daily news, features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more. General questions should be posted to one of our forums available
      from our FrontPage.

      SUPPORT OUR ADVERTISERS:
      All of the revenue from our advertisers and affiliates goes to support clubs, athletes and clinics related to multisport and
      Canadian Olympians.

      1. Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women:
      The RunnersWeb5K.com Race for Women has been renamed in memory of Canadian Olympian Emilie Mondor who died in a car crash September
      9th on her way to her high-school reunion. Emilie had just completed a 2 hour plus run along the Ottawa River during which she
      talked with her coach about the upcoming Philadelphia Half-Marathon (September 17th) and the New York City Marathon in November.
      For a story on Emilie read Emilie Mondor: Life Cut Too Short at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news/rw_news_20060913_LB_Mondor.html
      The first RunnersWeb5K.com Race for Women was held on June 24th at Ottawa's Aviation Museum. Canada's #2 ranked marathoner, Nicole
      Stevenson, won the race in 16:28.
      Thirty-five women ran under 20 minutes. For a race report and photos go to:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news/rw_news_20060624_RunnersWeb5K.html.
      The 2007 race date will be Saturday, June 23, 2007.
      The prize money will be increased from $3,000 to $5,000 for open and masters runners. The team competition will be expanded to
      include Open, Club and University Teams.
      More information will be posted at:
      http://www.emiliesrun.com

      3. Road Runner Sports, the world's largest running store at:
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000009525499

      4. Toronto Waterfront Marathon. September 30, 2007.
      http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/

      5. The Toronto Marathon, October 15, 2006
      http://www.torontomarathon.com

      6. Carmichael Training Systems
      http://www.trainright.com/promos.asp?code=DSBYBFCSP

      ASSOCIATIONS:
      The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional Organization for the Running Industry.

      Check the "New Subscribers' note at the bottom of the newsletter

      Webmasters:
      Get our Syndicated headlines for your site.
      Add the Runner's Web News feed to your site through a simple JavaScript.
      Check out OnTri.com's implementation at:
      http://www.ontri.com/runnersweb.html
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is now available through an RSS feed for myYahoo at:

      Get the Runner's Web News Feed via email from Squeet.com. Sign up at:
      http://www.squeet.com/?FeedURL=http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RW_RSSNews.xml

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet Explorer from the link on our FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com . We have added a button for Lauren Groves, Triathlete.

      If anyone is looking for a web mail provider, you might wish to consider Google's GMail. Currently you can get GMail by invitation
      only from a current user. My stock of "invites" has been replenished. If you are interested in getting FREE GMail account, contact
      me at: mailto:kparker@... .

      Race Directors:
      Advertise your event on the Runner's Web.

      THIS WEEK:
      us at: mailto:webmaster@... or leave your comments in one of our Forums at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/forum.html
      or from our FrontPage.

      We have 2,022 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe
      at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RunnersWeb/join .

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey.
      Sheila is one of Ottawa's top multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public
      Health and works in the field of nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the University of California, San Diego. Her
      column index is available at:

      * Carmichael Training Systems
      Carmichael Training Systems was founded in 1999 by Chris Carmichael.
      From the beginning, the mission of the company has been to improve the lives of individuals we work with through the application of
      proper and effective fitness and competitive training techniques. Whether your focus is recreational, advanced, or you are a
      professional racer, the coaching methodology employed by CTS will make you a better athlete. Check the latest monthly column from
      CTS at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/cts_columns.html.
      Carmichael Training Systems at:
      http://www.trainright.com/promos.asp?code=DSBYBFCSP

      * Peak Performance Online
      Peak Performance is a subscription-only newsletter for athletes, featuring the latest research from the sports science world. We
      cover the whole range of sports, from running and rowing to cycling and swimming, and each issue is packed full of exclusive
      information for anyone who's serious about sport. It's published 16 times a year, including four special reports, by Electric Word
      plc. Peak Performance is not available in the shops - only our subscribers are able to access the valuable information we publish.

      * Peak Running Performance
      Peak Running Is The Nation's Most Advanced Running Newsletter. Rated as the #1 Running Publication by Road Runner Sports (Worlds
      Largest Running Store) , Peak Running caters to the serious / dedicated runner. Delivering world class running advice are some of
      running's most recognizable athletes including Dr. Joe Vigil (US Olympic Coach),
      Scott Tinley (2 Time Ironman Champ) Steve Scott (3 Time Olympian) and many more. This bi-monthly newsletter has been around for over
      13 years, and in the past two it has been awarded the "Golden Shoe Award" in recognition of it's outstanding achievements.

      * WatsonLifeSport
      Lance Watson is "Just The Winningest Coach in Triathlon". He has been coaching triathlon and distance running since 1987. Over the
      years, Lance has coached some of the most successful athletes in the sport of triathlon and duathlon.
      Check out the Lance Watson Online Article Index at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/LW_index.html

      Running Research News:
      RRN's free, weekly, training update provides subscribers with the most-current, practical, scientifically based information about
      training, sports nutrition, injury prevention, and injury rehabilitation. The purpose of this weekly e-zine is to improve
      subscribers' training quality and to help them train in an injury-free manner.
      Running Research News also publishes a complete, 12-page, electronic newsletter 10 times a year (one-year subscriptions are $35); to
      learn more about Running Research News, please see the Online Article Index and "About Running Research News" sections below or go
      to RRNews.com.
      Check out the article index at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RRN_index.html

      THIS WEEK'S PERSONAL POSTINGS/RELEASES:
      We have ONE personal posting this week.
      ONE:
      From: Susan Brewer <mailto:tcjsusan@...>
      Date: Wed Oct 4, 2006 6:17 pm
      Subject: (No subject) littlesusan24
      I am new to the group---not new to running, I run 6 days a week 70 miles a week,
      I do marathons and ultras so I am looking forward to the group
      Thank-U

      THIS WEEK'S DIGEST ARTICLE INDEX:

      1. Science of Sport: EPOC – Quantify Your Training Load?
      2. Stress Fractures - Prevention & Treatment Strategies
      3. VO2 Max Newsletter
      4. Runner’s Diet: food as fuel
      Eating right can improve your performance. Madelyn Fernstrom, a nutritionist and ‘Today’ contributor, tells you how to optimize your
      energy.
      5. Joe Henderson's Running Commentary - Who's Cheating Whom?
      6. Narrowing the field
      Elite athletes now dominate many high school teams. As other sports opportunities shrink, average kids lose out.
      7. The drafting dilemma
      8. One-Third of U.S. Kids Are Unfit
      Researchers renew call for more physical activity to keep children healthy.
      9. Technique: A Commonly Overlooked Variable
      10. Improving your performance
      There are three main types of fitness training.
      11. Touting Tea
      A new study finds that drinking tea may reduce the risk of deadly diseases—and that's just one of many health benefits associated
      with the popular beverage.
      12. No need to cut the good fat with the bad
      13. Ten things to know about interval and other fitness training
      14. Old but Not Frail: A Matter of Heart and Head
      15. This Week in Running
      16. Training + Performance - Marathon Preparation
      The Final 3 Weeks - Race day is getting closer. Your long runs are history. You're in final prep. Here are a few essential pre-race
      tips to help make sure you're ready to finish strong.
      17. Go nuts!
      18. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health e-Zine
      19. When Skinny Doesn’t Equal Fit
      20. Carry on running - but it may not be enough to tackle obesity in children

      "What is the highest entry fee you have paid or would pay to compete in a road race or triathlon?"

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage ( http://www.runnersweb.com) as well as checking the results of previous polls.
      Post your views in our Forum at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/runnersweb_forum.html
      [Free Registration Required]

      LAST WEEK'S POLL RESULTS:
      "Winter is coming! Where do you run during the winter months?"
      Answers Percent
      1. Outdoors 53%
      2. Indoor track 18%
      3. Treadmill 29%

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE WEEK: Tri-Hard Sports Conditioning Systems.
      "Jason Gootman and Will Kirousis operate Tri-Hard Sports Conditioning Systems
      ("Tri-Hard" for short). We have a deep passion for endurance sports and it is our goal to bring that passion, combined with our
      knowledge and experience, to you!
      We are dedicated to providing world-class coaching and education services for endurance athletes including triathletes, duathletes,
      road cyclists, mountain bike racers, and runners. We assist endurance athletes of all ages and all ability levels from beginner to
      professional in working towards and reaching their personal goals. Through expert guidance and superior service, we aim to create
      the most constructive and enjoyable athletic experience, both physically and mentally, for each athlete or group of athletes with
      whom we work.
      We accomplish this goal through:
      * Coaching -- We coach endurance athletes through our personalized coaching services.
      * Speaking -- We present custom seminars for endurance sports clubs/teams and other organizations.
      * Writing -- We write articles for internationally acclaimed journals, magazines, and websites covering endurance sports topics.
      To learn about our latest happenings, please read our Tri-Hard News section. To learn more about us and how we may be able to assist
      you, we invite you to explore our website. As you will see, we take great pride in providing the most personalized endurance sports
      coaching available. Please feel free to contact us with questions about how we can help you work towards and reach your personal
      goals. That's what we're here for!"
      Check out their website at:
      http://www.tri-hard.com/

      BOOK OF THE WEEK: Staying The Course: A Runner's Toughest Race (Paperback)
      by Dick Beardsley (Author), Maureen Anderson (Author)
      Review
      "There are faster and more decorated runners than Dick Beardsley, but probably none with a more compelling life story. You'll want
      to read this book in one big gulp, then return again and again for inspiration both on and off the roads." -New York Runner
      "In the long run, Beardsley's book is a winner." -Pioneer Press
      Book Description
      For a moment Dick Beardsley became the most famous runner in the world by losing a race. In the 1982 Boston Marathon, Beardsley,
      foiled by a motorcycle that cut him off, finished two seconds behind Alberto Salazar in one of the most memorable contests in
      marathon history. Staying the Course recounts that race and the difficult years that followed, including his recovery from a
      near-fatal farm accident, his subsequent addiction to painkillers, and a public arrest for forging prescriptions. His story of
      overcoming obstacles speaks to anyone who loves competition, who has survived catastrophe, or who has pursued a seemingly impossible
      goal.
      Buy the book from Amazon at:
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0816637598/runnersweb/102-0182896-9006569?v=glance&s=books

      THIS WEEK'S FEATURES:

      1. Science of Sport: EPOC – Quantify Your Training Load?
      By Ben Wisbey, Sports Scientist, FitSense Australia
      Over the past twelve months interest has been growing in the use of predicted EPOC as a means of monitoring training load. Interest
      in the area has been sparked by new software, developed by a group of Finnish sports scientists, which uses heart rate measures to
      predict EPOC, respiratory rate, VO2 consumption, and a variety of other physiological measures. This software is now being used by
      Suunto and FRWD to enhance the analysis of data obtained from their heart rate monitors.
      What is EPOC?
      Excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC) is a physiological measure of the oxygen consumed in excess of resting requirement
      after exercise. It is measured in litres or ml/kg. EPOC reflects the disturbance of the body’s homeostasis brought on by the
      exercise, and the subsequent recovery demand.
      Exact measurement of EPOC is only possible by analysing respiratory gases with laboratory equipment. Practical limitations in
      conducting this type of testing have led to the development of methods to estimate EPOC based on heart rate. In this article, we
      will refer to predicted EPOC as pEPOC.
      How is pEPOC Calculated?
      In order to make a prediction of EPOC, a known maximal heart rate and VO2 max for the user is required. The heart rate and heart
      rate variability (HRV) measurements during exercise are then used to predict respiratory rate and VO2. Predicted respiratory rate,
      and VO2 are then used in conjunction with heart rate to predict EPOC.
      What could pEPOC be used for?
      One of the key challenges in sport science is in determining an optimal training load. Sufficiently strenuous exercise causes a
      disturbance in the body’s homeostasis. After recovery this results in improved fitness. The challenge lies in determining the
      optimum balance between training volume, training intensity and recovery. Training that is too easy doesn’t improve fitness, and
      training that is too hard may lead to overtraining in the long term. It is suggested that by calculating pEPOC, the training load
      can be quantified. This allows the time needed for recovery to be calculated.
      Limitations of pEPOC
      There are several limitations to the use of pEPOC as a means of monitoring training response based on heart rate. These limitations
      are discussed below.
      The current predictions of pEPOC are based on formulas for which there is a solid scientific basis. However, in practical trials
      conducted by FitSense Australia the predicted in-exercise VO2 values based on heart rate were 5-10% out from known laboratory
      measured VO2 values. Inaccuracies in the VO2 prediction will cause inaccuracies in the prediction of pEPOC measures.
      More...from the Runner's Web at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news/rw_news_20061003_Wisbey_EPOC.html

      2. Stress Fractures - Prevention & Treatment Strategies:
      Stress fractures are small cracks in the bone caused by repetitive stresses or overuse, such as the repetitive impact on the bones
      of the lower leg and foot during running and jumping activities. This injury commonly occurs in the weight bearing bones of the
      feet, upper and lower legs, and hip area.
      Any athlete may encounter this injury but those with lower bone density due to genetic, metabolic or dietary issues are more
      susceptible. Women may be more susceptible as well due to irregular or absent menstrual cycles, eating disorders or osteoporosis.
      Recovery time usually ranges from six to ten weeks.
      What is a stress fracture?
      When bones are subjected to stresses they adapt, just as muscles do, to become stronger. To increase in strength they must rob
      calcium from one area to build another. This weakens that area and new, and repetitive, stresses on that weakened area can cause a
      crack. This fracture is a result of the bone’s inability to handle the stress over time.
      Weakened bones, due to old injuries or other conditions, are much more susceptible to stress fractures because they are unable to
      handle the new stresses applied to them. Athletes with compromised bone density must be very careful when increasing their work
      load.
      Increases in intensity, duration or frequency can lead to stress fractures due to the process of repair and rebuilding being
      interrupted. The bones need adequate rest time to rebuild and restructure. If unable to repair, the bone will weaken and become
      susceptible to fracture. Treatment must be initiated as soon as possible to prevent further damage and a more severe fracture.
      What sports and activities are most vulnerable?
      While stress fractures can occur in any sport, they are most common in high impact sports of a repetitive nature. Sports such as
      basketball, track and field, dance, gymnastics and tennis are all examples of sports with a high frequency of stress fractures.
      Athletes in any sport can fall victim to stress fractures if their form, posture or technique is incorrect or conditions change
      without a chance to adapt. Changing playing surfaces or using worn shoes, with poor support, can increase the risk as well.
      Increasing training loads too quickly or changing intensity without a period of time to adapt will make athletes more susceptible.
      More...from the Runner's Web at:
      http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/stress-fractures.htm

      3. VO2 Max Newsletter
      * Integrating Science with Application--Tapering
      If you're planning on running a marathon this fall, chances are you're already thinking about your taper. Research has shown that
      tapering results in changes in biological markers that reflect a reduced training stress and an increased recovery, and that
      improved performance (from 0.5% to 6%) is more likely to occur after a period of reduced training.
      Most studies on tapering in runners have examined the effect of 1-week tapers on short distance events, and have found that the
      intensity of training is more important than either the training volume (weekly mileage) or frequency. Reductions in mileage up to
      60-90% have been found to be beneficial. So you can reduce both your weekly mileage and the number of days you run per week as long
      as you keep the intensity high. For example, studies using a low volume/high intensity taper for 1 week (e.g., an 85% reduction in
      mileage and 5x500 meters at 800-meter race pace with 6-7 minutes recovery, decreasing by 1 rep each day for 5 days) have found
      improvements in running economy and 5-K performance,
      and increases in aerobic enzyme activity, blood volume, and time to fatigue at 1,500-meter race pace compared to a moderate-
      volume/low-intensity taper (e.g., 6 miles at 60% VO2max, decreasing by 1.25 miles each day for 5 days) or a taper with no running at
      all.
      There has been little research on the effect of tapering on long-distance running, with one study finding that tapering (85%
      reduction in mileage for 1 week) did not affect half-marathon performance (run on a treadmill to control for other variables), and
      that performance was similar to that of runners who didn't taper.
      The duration of your taper is one of the most difficult aspects to determine since the answer will vary for each runner. It
      depends on the severity of the training load, your level of fatigue, and the distance of your upcoming race. Also, the time frame
      separating the benefits of a successful taper from the negative consequences of insufficient training has not been clearly
      established by research. Research on swimmers has revealed that 2 weeks seems to be the longest time to receive the benefits of a
      taper before detraining
      begins, with many athletes needing longer to fully recover from hard training. Before a marathon, most people taper for 2 to 3
      weeks, using a 1-week taper before shorter races.
      In addition to the research, many of my decisions concerning the taper depend on the strengths and weaknesses of my athletes and
      what has yielded positive results in the past. I typically have my athletes begin cutting their mileage 3 weeks before the marathon
      (or up to a week later if they haven't been running high mileage), with the first week at 70%
      of peak training mileage, the second week at 50%, and the week of the marathon at 35% (not counting the marathon itself). I keep
      the intensity high during the first week, including one interval workout at 3K race pace and one moderately-long run (13-15 miles)
      with about half at lactate threshold pace. I begin to decrease the intensity slightly during the second
      week, including two short- to medium-distance runs (5-10 miles) at marathon race pace. The week of the race, I include one interval
      workout early in the week at either lactate threshold pace or slightly faster, cutting back on the distance of the intervals and the
      number of reps. The final week also includes a daily progressive reduction in mileage that mirrors the pattern of the weekly
      reduction.
      So if you're running a marathon this fall, take care in planning your taper--and good luck on race day!
      * VO2 Kinetics
      As may be obvious during the first few strides of your run, VO2 increases dramatically, plateauing within 2 to 3 minutes. When you
      stop running, VO2 decreases until it returns to its resting value. A study published in International Journal of Sports Medicine in
      2006 found that the rise and fall of VO2, called "VO2 kinetics," are related to the type of runner.
      The time for VO2 to reach a steady-state value at the start of exercise and the time for VO2 to return to its resting value after
      exercise are both significantly shorter in long-distance runners compared to middle- distance runners. The researchers suggest that
      this difference is related to training volume, since the greater the weekly mileage, the less time it takes for VO2 to increase at
      the start of a run.
      Copyright Jason Karp All Rights Reserved - http://www.runcoachjason.com

      4. Runner’s Diet: food as fuel:
      Eating right can improve your performance. Madelyn Fernstrom, a nutritionist and ‘Today’ contributor, tells you how to optimize your
      energy.
      We all know that food is the body’s fuel, but many of us don’t know which ones can optimize our energy whether we’re working out in
      the gym, training for a marathon, or walking a mile or two. Take “Today Runs a Marathon” guest runner, Karen Gorrell, for example.
      When I met Karen to go over nutrition with her, she hadn’t given much thought to her eating habits — food was food — and she wasn’t
      aware of how much her diet could affect her training for the marathon. So I told her she needed to take the same mental discipline
      she used for her running and apply it to her eating.
      The “old” Karen downed doughnuts and fast food, gulped down some water and sports drinks, and skimped on protein. No wonder she felt
      overly fatigued during some of her runs. Her fantastic attitude and spirit carried her through most of her training, but she needed
      some nutritional training, if she was going to be in the best condition to run a marathon.
      More...from MSNBC at:
      http://msnbc.msn.com/id/15106911/

      5. Joe Henderson's Running Commentary - Who's Cheating Whom?
      When I hear of runners cheating in a race, pretending to do what they didn't, stealing an honor that wasn't theirs, I'm as amazed as
      I am appalled. This crime is foreign to everything most runners believe. If we run mostly to improve and impress ourselves, then the
      person most cheated is the cheater.
      Thousands of runners honored the pledge to themselves to run an honest race last spring [1997] at the Boston and Pittsburgh
      Marathons. A few deviants couldn't accept the elemental honesty of a certain time over a specific distance.
      A husband-wife couple "won" their age-groups at Boston, and a man snuck into seventh place in Pittsburgh's national-championship
      division. If they really believe what they did, they have simple recourse. They can clear their names without going to court but by
      running another carefully monitored race and coming anywhere near their claimed time.
      History says they won't. Others caught cheating in some of America's biggest races all protested their innocence. But all failed to
      make amends in the one way that any runner would accept.
      I won't overstate the problem. Cheaters are as rare in this sport as sub-2:20 American marathoners. But one scofflaw per thousand
      honorable runners is too many, and surveillance must be vigorous and punishment harsh to root out that one.
      When the recent cheaters were nabbed, they raised further suspicions: How often had they gotten away with this before? And how many
      others do the same and avoid detection?
      If secret on-course videotaping or computer-chip technology catch cheaters, what is fitting punishment? A lifetime ban from racing,
      certainly (though this is usually voluntary, since the exposed seldom show their faces at races again).
      More...from Joe Henderson at:
      http://www.joehenderson.com/archive/home.php?article=2076

      6. Narrowing the field:
      Elite athletes now dominate many high school teams. As other sports opportunities shrink, average kids lose out.
      THE long, sweaty summer practices are over. The pep rallies have begun. Fall sports are underway around the nation.
      Cory Harkey, 16, is part of the action. The 6-foot-5, 220-pound junior at Chino Hills High School is symbolic of the elite athlete
      who has come to dominate interscholastic high school sports. He practices to the point of exhaustion almost daily and plays on
      private club teams to maintain his star status in several sports. He dreams of a college scholarship in basketball or football, and
      college scouts undoubtedly will scrutinize his potential during the coming year.
      Sara Nael, 17, is not part of any team. A senior at the same school, she won't go near a volleyball game this fall, having failed to
      make the team as a freshman. She considered trying out for something else but eventually concluded that playing in high school
      sports "doesn't look fun."
      The two students represent what is both positive — and distressing — about the state of youth sports today. High school athletes are
      fitter, more skilled and better trained than ever before. But these top-notch athletes, say many health and fitness experts, have
      become the singular focus of the youth sports system — while teenagers of average or low ability no longer warrant attention.
      "What is happening at the high school level is, we're principally satisfying kids who are elite athletes — the best, the most
      skilled, the most developed in their particular sport," says Bruce Svare, a critic of the nation's youth sports system and director
      of the National Institute for Sports Reform, based in Selkirk, N.Y. But, Svare adds, "we're forgetting everyone else in terms of
      their health and fitness needs."
      More...from the LA Times at:
      http://www.latimes.com/features/health/fitness/la-he-sports2oct02,1,7467993.story?coll=la-health-fitness-news

      7. The drafting dilemma:
      The illegal drafting that occurs during multi-sport events has received a lot of press this year. Many athletes are frustrated by
      the blatant and continued disregard some race participants have for this rule.
      There is no doubt that even a brief period of drafting gives an athlete a distinct advantage. 70-90 percent of resistance on the
      bike comes from the air in front of a cyclist. By having another cyclist block this air flow, the amount of energy an athlete has to
      expend is drastically reduced.
      In a large pack of riders, a cyclist can motor along barely touching the pedals and, perhaps, at speeds much greater than would be
      sustainable under their own power. Drafting not only takes minutes off the bike split, it leaves the legs nice and fresh for the
      run.
      You can imagine the annoyance an athlete feels when they are passed by a rider, or in many cases, groups of riders working together
      in flagrant disregard for this rule. Athletes have their individual reasons they race and many take a casual approach to their race
      performance, but others take their racing very seriously.
      These athletes may be competitive age groupers who have worked hard for months, or, perhaps, an entire season to be at their best
      for a race. Their goals could include attempting to qualify for a coveted event slot or team, accumulate points in a series or win
      their age group. Losing to someone who cheated can leave a very bitter taste in your mouth and even question the legitimacy of the
      sport.
      More...from Active.com at:
      http://active.com/story.cfm?story_id=13564

      8. One-Third of U.S. Kids Are Unfit:
      Researchers renew call for more physical activity to keep children healthy.
      As many as one-third of American children aren't physically fit, a new study found.
      Reporting in the October issue of the Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine, the researchers found that boys tended to be in
      better shape than girls; older boys were more fit than younger boys; younger girls were more fit than older girls; and --
      predictably -- heavier children were in worse shape than their slimmer counterparts.
      "We are concerned, from a public health standpoint, that a third of kids don't meet fitness standards," said lead researcher Russell
      R. Pate, a professor of exercise science at the University of South Carolina's Arnold School of Public Health in Columbia. "The
      solution is for American youth to be more physically active than they are right now."
      Being physically fit is an important key to maintaining healthy blood pressure and cholesterol levels and warding off many chronic
      diseases. But, since the 1980s, there has been a growing trend toward overweight and even obesity among American kids, with an
      estimated 15 percent of boys and girls between the ages of 6 and 19 now considered overweight. Much of that weight gain has been
      linked to a lack of exercise.
      More...from HealthScout at:
      http://www.healthscout.com/news/1/535279/main.html

      9. Technique: A Commonly Overlooked Variable:
      A commonly overlooked variable for most cyclists is that of proper technique. In essence, proper technique presents itself as the
      foundation for which fitness should be laid upon. More often than not, it's the latter that gets the attention- forcing those who
      have poor technique to work perpetually harder as they go harder and so on. It becomes a "cat chasing its tail" scenario.
      Without going into a bunch of neuro-physical jargon, here's the skinny. Muscles fire (contract) via electrical impulses from the
      brain through neuropathways, which then trigger very specific chemical reactions at the nerve/muscle junction, resulting in the
      contraction (shortening) of muscles. Now, the key word is neuropathway. This "network" of physiological communication is built upon
      repetition. The old saying "practice makes perfect" is true. However, practice can also apply to perfectly poor technique. Think of
      neuropathways as water-formed ravines that have been created over long periods of time. The more time, the deeper the ravine. If the
      ravine does not permit the water to travel from point A to point B in the most efficient and effective manner, then you're doing a
      lot more work than you need to.
      So, what are the factors that instigate inefficient neuropathways (poor technique)? Poor fit to the bicycle is the most common.
      Others include muscular imbalance, anatomical compensations (Ex. leg length discrepancy), crossover interference (Ex. A hockey
      player who tries to swing a golf club often mimics the technique of the hockey swing due to the movement tasks being similar.), or
      just plain old bad form. Remember that the key to neuropathway development is repetition. Repeated movements with any of the above
      fault(s) is going to lead to perfectly polished, highly trained, non-compromised, finely tuned, bad form.
      More...from TriFuel at:
      http://www.trifuel.com/triathlon/bike/technique-a-commonly-overlooked-variable-001631.php

      10. Improving your performance:
      There are three main types of fitness training.
      * Resistance training
      * Interval training
      * Continuous training
      Each type of training helps your body develop in different ways and will prepare you differently for the various sports.
      Sprinters require a huge amount of upper body strength and to develop their aerobic fitness.
      Endurance athletes prefer to work on their aerobic fitness and stamina rather than their physical strength.
      These are the important factors to remember:
      * Rest for at least a day after heavy exercise to allow the body to repair
      * Training should be suited to the specific muscle groups used in the sport which is played
      * Gradually increase training over time
      * Work with heavier weights than previously to increase strength
      * If you stop exercising for a long period of time your body will lose its fitness level
      * Workout at 60-75% of one's maximum heart rate
      * Tailor a programme to meet your needs
      More...from the BBC at:
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/health_and_fitness/4270714.stm

      11. Touting Tea:
      A new study finds that drinking tea may reduce the risk of deadly diseases—and that's just one of many health benefits associated
      with the popular beverage.
      love coffee. I love the way it smells. I love the way it tastes. (Although I'm so sensitive to caffeine, even a cup of coffee makes
      me talk as fast as Robin Williams might sound if he were on speed—and, hey, do you have to drive so slowly?) But I drink tea now.
      Most of the time.
      Apparently, I'm not alone. Tea is the most widely consumed beverage in the world, other than water. Over 6.6 billion pounds of tea
      are produced each year.
      Why? More and more research is documenting that what we include in our diet is as important as what we exclude. Tea contains a
      variety—perhaps thousands—of powerful, protective antioxidant substances called polyphenols, especially flavonoids such as
      catechins, that may help reduce the risk of some of the most common chronic diseases.
      For example, a study was published two weeks ago in the Journal of the American Medical Association that followed more than 40,000
      Japanese men and women over a seven- to eleven-year period. They found that green tea consumption was associated with a reduced
      mortality due to all causes except cancer.
      More...from Newsweek at:
      http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15107841/site/newsweek/

      12. No need to cut the good fat with the bad:
      Many years ago, we got the message that eating fat was bad - that it caused heart disease. So Americans have worked hard to cut fat
      out of their diets. So it says in "Eat, Drink and Be Healthy" by Dr. Walter C. Willett (Free Press, $15).
      According to Willett, co-developer of the Harvard School of Public Health, in the past four decades we have reduced calories from
      fat in our diets from 40 percent to 33 percent. Yet the disease rate remains at the same level, and obesity and Type 2 diabetes are
      soaring.
      What happened?
      Fat can be satisfying, so when we cut down on it, we are hungry, and we eat more carbohydrates.
      Unfortunately, carbohydrates increase weight as effectively as fat. Willett explains that pasta, potatoes, white bread and white
      rice all cause spikes in blood sugar levels, which you don't get with fat, protein or slowly absorbed carbohydrates from vegetables,
      fruits or whole grains. These spikes in blood sugar levels cause spikes in insulin levels, which puts heavy demands on the pancreas
      to make insulin and can eventually lead to adult-onset diabetes.
      Willett summarizes that cutting all fats and increasing carbohydrates does little to protect against heart disease and may
      ultimately cause some harm. One reason is that in our zeal to cut fats, we have cut the good fats with the bad. We reduced vital,
      good-for-us, unsaturated fats like oils in salad dressings and nuts.
      More...from Newsday at:
      http://www.newsday.com/news/health/ny-hsnut4915041oct03,0,5599213.story?coll=ny-health-print

      13. Ten things to know about interval and other fitness training:
      By Marlene Habib, CBC News
      Marlene Habib is a full-time senior copy editor on the Copy Desk at CBC.ca. She's also a Can-Fit-Pro certified trainer who leads
      outdoor exercise classes.
      In the repertoire of exercise naysayers, the claim "I don't have time to exercise" stands out even more than the burning desire to
      avoid the irksome rants of fitness crusaders like Richard Simmons. But that's no longer a valid excuse, according to new research
      that shows even short periods of activity can have big health benefits.
      Alan Katz works out during his 20-minute circuit at his gym, Aug. 17, 2006, in Citrus Park, Fla. (Steve Nesius/Associated Press) A
      report out of McMaster University in Hamilton suggests bona fide benefits to interval training (IT) – short bursts of movement
      alternated with slower activity. IT, with more and more studies backing its calorie-burning and performance-enhancing bonuses, is
      the trendy "it" word in fitness.
      More...from the CBC at:
      http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/exercise_fitness/interval-training.html

      14. Old but Not Frail: A Matter of Heart and Head:
      Mary Wittenberg, the 44-year-old president of New York Road Runners, is a fast, strong and experienced runner. But she races best,
      she says, when she runs just behind Witold Bialokur. He can run 10 kilometers, or 6.2 miles, in less than 44 minutes and he is so
      smooth and controlled.
      “He’s like a metronome with his pacing,” Ms. Wittenberg says. “I am often struggling to keep up with him and it’s a good day when I
      do.”
      While Mr. Bialokur’s performance would be the envy of most young men, he is not young. Mr. Bialokur is 71.
      It is one of the persistent mysteries of aging, researchers say. Why would one person, like Mr. Bialokur, remain so hale and hearty
      while another, who had seemed just as healthy, start to weaken and slow down, sometimes as early as his 70’s?
      That, says Tamara Harris, who is chief of the geriatric epidemiology section at the National Institute on Aging, is a central issue
      that is only now being systematically addressed. The question is why some age well and others do not, often heading along a path
      that ends up in a medical condition known as frailty.
      Frailty, Dr. Harris explains, involves exhaustion, weakness, weight loss and a loss of muscle mass and strength. It is, she says, a
      grim prognosis whose causes were little understood.
      More...(and associated video) from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/05/health/05age.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

      15. This Week in Running:
      10 Years Ago- Stefano Baldini (ITA) won the IAAF World Championships (ESP) Half Marathon
      with a 1:01:17 and some 13 seconds clear of Josephat Kiprono (KEN) in
      1:01:30. The bronze medal went to Tendai Chimusasa (ZIM) who finished in
      1:02:00. Xiu-juan Ren (CHN) took the women's gold medal by a similar
      margin, running 1:10:39 to Lidia Simon's (ROM) 1:10:57. Romanians took
      places 2-4 with Aurica Buia (1:11:01) and Nuta Olaru (1:11:07) to take the
      team title rather handily.
      20 Years Ago- Frantisek Visnicky (SVK) won the Kosice (SVK) Marathon in 2:18:43 and
      the Slovak marathon title. Frank Konzack (GER) was next in 2:18:58 and
      Jürgen Eberding (GER) was 3rd in 2:19:06. Christa Vahlensieck (GER) ran
      2:41:08 to get her third of five wins here. Lutsia Belyayeva (RUS) was
      2nd in 2:45:20 while Ok-Hui Choe (PRK) took 3rd in 2:45:48.
      30 Years Ago- Christa Vahlensieck (GER) won the Waldniel (GER) Marathon in 2:45:24.4 over
      an international field. Kim Merritt (USA) was 2nd in 2:47:11.2, Gayle Barron
      (USA) took 3rd in 2:47:43, and Claire Spauwen (NED) was 4th in 2:47:50.
      40 Years Ago- Gyula Toth (HUN) won the Kosice (SVK) Marathon in 2:19:11.2. ALmost two minutes
      back came James Alder (SCO) in 2:21:06 and Yutaka Aoki (JPN) was 3rd in 2:22:44.4.
      50 Years Ago- Chris Chataway (ENG) won a 5000m in Budapest HUN with a time of 13:59.6. Close
      behind came Derek Ibbotson (ENG) at 14:00.0 and 3rd was Sandor Iharos (HUN) in
      14:03.4.
      From the Analytical Distance Runner at:
      http://www.arrs.net.

      16. Training + Performance - Marathon Preparation:
      The Final 3 Weeks - Race day is getting closer. Your long runs are history. You're in final prep. Here are a few essential pre-race
      tips to help make sure you're ready to finish strong.
      You’re in final countdown for marathon race day. You’ve logged the long miles. You’ve got your race strategy locked down tight.
      Physically and mentally you’re ready to go. But there’s a lot of other essential preparation that’s often overlooked in the run up
      to the big day. Here are a few pre-race items to help make sure you have the smoothest marathon day possible.
      Relax – It’s Part of Training
      Believe it or not, the best training you can do right before a marathon is not much training at all. Rest powers your body. Continue
      to taper mileage as race day approaches. Avoid the impulse to squeeze in last-minute long runs. Get plenty of sleep. Book a massage.
      You’ve done the hard stuff. You’re as fit as you’re gonna get. If you haven’t done the necessary miles yet, wait for the next
      marathon.
      More...from Nike.com at:
      http://www.nike.com/nikerunning/usa/home.jhtml?loc1=tools_training&loc2=runners_library&loc3=137&promoID=USRU_EM_092606_octnewsmen#r
      unners_library
      [Long URL]

      17. Go nuts!
      By Annette Colby, Ph.D., R.D.
      You have your nutrition strategy down to a science: plenty of nutrient-dense fresh fruits and veggies to nourish your body;
      protein-packed lean meats to strengthen muscles; calcium-rich, low-fat dairy to build bones; and energizing whole grains to fuel
      your workouts (and your day.)
      But if nuts aren't on your eating plan, they should be. A nut holds an abundance of healthy, energizing goodness all squeezed into a
      small package.
      Nuts contain healthy monounsaturated fats, which protect the heart by lowering "bad" LDL cholesterol and raising "good" HDL levels.
      Researchers also believe these monounsaturated fats help prevent diabetes by building healthier membranes around cells, creating
      more efficient doorways for blood sugar to enter.
      They also contain essential omega-3 fatty acids, which provide anti-inflammatory protection against heart disease, high blood
      pressure, diabetes, cancer and autoimmune diseases (disorders in which the immune system attacks the body, like rheumatoid
      arthritis.)
      Nuts are full of vitamin E, selenium and magnesium, which provide additional protection against heart disease and diabetes. In
      addition to their great taste, all nuts are cholesterol-free and full of important nutrients, including protein and fiber. The
      protein content of nuts is around 10 to 25 percent, making them a great alternative to meat. In fact, in 2003 the FDA allowed food
      companies to put the following qualified claim on nut packaging: "Scientific evidence suggests but does not prove that eating 1.5
      ounces per day of most nuts, as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol, may reduce the risk of heart disease."
      More...from Active.com at:
      http://active.com/story.cfm?story_id=13578

      18. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health e-Zine:
      * Children Need More Exercise for Heart Health
      Children need at least 90 minutes of exercise a day to avoid heart disease when they are older, according to a new study reported in
      Lancet (July 23, 2006). The old guidelines
      recommending 30 minutes of exercise three times a week, or even an hour a day do not appear to be adequate for preventing obesity
      and heart disease. Researchers used heart rate monitors to measure the activity of 1700 nine- to-fifteen-year-olds in Denmark,
      Estonia, and Portugal. They then calculated a heart-attack risk score consisting of blood pressure, cholesterol, insulin
      resistance, and skinfold thickness.
      They compared physical activity from the heart rate monitors with the heart attack risk-factor score and found that the more active
      the child, the lower the heart attack risk score. Many
      children who exercised for 60 minutes a day were still overweight and had high heart attack risk scores. The authors suggest that
      the lack of regular physical activity is likely to mean that the children are spending too much time watching TV, playing video and
      computer games, and eating junk food. There is no reason to expect that the results would be different with American children. The
      current recommendation of at least an hour per day of moderate activity in children may not be sufficient for future heart health.
      * Yeast Infections
      When a woman develops a white discharge and vaginal itching, her doctor often diagnoses yeast infection, even though he may be wrong
      because every healthy woman has yeast in her vagina and cultures of the vagina almost always grow yeast, even in women who have no
      symptoms at all. A doctor diagnoses yeast by inserting a cotton swab into the vagina, placing it in a drop of water and examining
      the fluid for yeast under a microscope. Cultures should not be used to diagnose yeast as most healthy women harbor yeast in their
      vaginas, mouths and intestines.
      Yeast infections often follow taking antibiotics or birth control pills, but when yeast cause a rash on the genitals, it often is
      acquired through heterosexual contact (1) or it can be caused by immune defects associated with diabetes or HIV. When normal healthy
      people develop rashes caused by yeast, doctors should look for a cause. Genital infections caused by yeast are often associated with
      a special type of yeast that is able to break though the skin to cause a red, itchy rash. Men and women with genital rashes caused
      by yeast either have an immune defect such as diabetes or they have a special yeast that can be acquired through sexual contact.
      Women who have documented yeast infections and a rash from it can be cured when they and their partners take ketoconazole, 400mg
      daily for 14 days, or fluconazole,150 mg/day for 4 days. Women who keep on getting documented yeast infections may need to take
      itraconazole 50 to 100mg daily or fluconazole 100mg weekly or 150mg monthly. Short courses of topical therapy, e.g. 500mg
      clotrimazole pessaries as a single weekly dose for 6 months or 100mg miconazole pessaries twice weekly for 3 months, followed by
      once weekly for 3 months may also be used (3).
      Since yeast is a normal inhabitant in the vagina, it is often diagnosed as the cause of vaginal itching when it is only an innocent
      bystander. When a physician takes cultures for many different types of infections and finds only a yeast, he usually prescribes
      suppositories (over-the-counter clotrimazole vaginal suppository, once a day for three days) to kill yeast and the patient feels
      better for a week or so because the suppository lubricates the irritated area. Then the itching returns because these women often
      are infected with mycoplasma/ which is extraordinarily difficult to find on culture/ and can be cured when they and their partners
      take azithromycin (250 mg once a day for 9 days) to kill the mycoplasma. If a woman really has a vaginal yeast infection, she
      usually clears up with a pill called fluconazole (150 mg/day for 4 days).
      A study from the University of Leeds showed that women who get yeast infections over and over, have the same type of yeast that
      recurs; it is not a new infection. This means that women with recurrent yeast infections and their partners should be treated for
      several weeks with oral drugs to kill yeast such a Diflucan, and not just with vaginal suppositories (4).
      1) J Warszawski, L Meyer, N Bajos. Is genital mycosis associated with HIV risk behaviors among heterosexuals? American Journal of
      Public Health 86: 8 Part 1(AUG 1996):1108-1111.
      2) One paper recommends a vaginal suppository containing metronidazole and miconazole, twice a day for two weeks, to kill
      gardnerella, Trichomonas and yeast. S Kukner, T Ergin, N Cicek, M Ugur, H Yesilyurt, O Gokmen. Treatment of vaginitis. International
      Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics 52: 1(JAN 1996):43-47. Metronidazole 500 mg and miconazole nitrate 100 mg (Neo-Penotran(R), Embil
      Pharmacy Company, Istanbul, Turkey) insert twice daily for 14 days.
      3) NC Nwokolo, FC Boag. Chronic vaginal candidiasis - Management in the postmenopausal patient. Drugs & Aging, 2000, Vol 16, Iss 5,
      pp 335-339.
      4) An investigation into the pathogenesis of vulvo-vaginal candidosis. Sexually Transmitted Infections, 2001, Vol 77, Iss 3, pp
      179-183. SS ElDin, MT Reynolds, HR Ashbee, RC Barton, EGV Evans.
      From Dr. Gabe Mirkin at:
      http://www.drmirkin.com

      19. When Skinny Doesn’t Equal Fit:
      By Molly Krause, CTS Sports Nutritionist.
      Tour de France riders have rail-thin physiques, triathletes are über-fit, and we can often see marathoner’s ribs. Sports companies
      put out tight-fitting clothes stitched for performance. In this environment, most athletes can become consumed with striving to
      achieve some sort of an ideal weight, even though they have no idea what that number on the scale should read. We’re attracted to
      “thin,” because if you have no heft to haul around, you’ll go faster.
      Here’s the big truth: thinner is not always better.
      Now, don’t grab that Snickers bar thinking it’s OK to chow down. We’re talking about finding the best weight for you. This requires
      listening to your body’s cues and being smart about deciding what that weight should be. For some people, their ideal weight may
      have them looking like an elite marathoner. Others may carry a lot more muscle and some fat.
      Certainly, losing weight to perform better has its benefits, but there’s a fine line between beneficial weight loss and debilitating
      weight loss. And it’s important for athletes, parents, coaches, athletic trainers and teammates to be aware of the dangers of
      excessive weight loss. Often times one athlete’s goal to become sleeker becomes an obsession that nurtures a potentially deadly
      eating disorder.
      More...from Carmichael Training Systems at:
      http://www.trainright.com/info.asp?action=display&uid=3928

      20. Carry on running - but it may not be enough to tackle obesity in children:
      FOR generations, children have been prescribed regular doses of exercise to keep them fit and healthy, but research suggests this
      may not be the answer to Scotland's obesity crisis.
      In a study of more than 500 pre-school children in Glasgow, regular exercise had no effect on body mass index (BMI) - a measure of
      weight in relation to height.
      The findings have cast doubt on the ability of exercise alone to cut soaring rates of obesity.
      Advocates of physical activity last night urged parents to continue to ensure their children took regular exercise. But researchers
      behind the report said diet and other lifestyle issues needed to be tackled too.
      Professor John Reilly, from Glasgow University, and his colleagues prescribed 30-minute sessions of exercise three times a week for
      545 pre-school children. The children's parents were also given guidance on increasing physical play at home.
      Their BMI was recorded after six months and again after a year of the exercise regime.
      The researchers, writing in the British Medical Journal, found that the increased levels of activity had little effect on BMI.
      The exercise regime also failed to encourage the children to be more active outside of nursery.
      Prof Reilly said children's movement skills did improve, which could have future health benefits.
      "It might foster an increase in activity levels in future by increasing confidence or ability, or both, and may have direct effects
      on body fat content in the long-term," he said.
      More...from the Scotsman at:
      http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=1477672006

      21. Digest Briefs:
      * Shorter, Harder Exercise Works, Too
      Don't have an hour a day to work out? Then a new study has the answer for you: Forget the traditional walk on the treadmill and opt
      for short-burst, high-intensity exercise instead.
      Researchers out of Hamilton, Ontario, compared healthy young men who participated in the two different types of exercise find both
      groups increased their fitness levels to similar degrees.
      The study involved 16 men who were assigned to either six sessions of 90 minutes to 120 minutes of continuous cycling on an exercise
      bike (endurance training, or ET) or six shorter sessions during which the men pedaled full out for 30 seconds, followed by four
      minute rest periods, repeating the cycle four to six times (sprint-interval training, or SIT). Over two weeks, the ET exercisers
      clocked about 10.5 hours of exercise, vs. just 2.5 hours in the SIT group.
      While the authors wouldn't recommend SIT for heart patients -- and emphasize anyone starting an exercise program should check with
      their doctor first -- they believe short burst, intense workouts like the one they studied could go a long way toward introducing
      exercise into the lives of busy people.
      "Given the large difference in training volume, these data demonstrate that SIT is a time-efficient strategy to induce rapid
      adaptations in skeletal muscle and exercise performance that are comparable to ET in young active men," they write.
      SOURCE: Journal of Physiology, 2006;575:901-911

      * Meltdown meditation. All Miavita Fitness Tips
      Everything's coming at you at once. Don't explode -- try a little yoga trick that can calm you down in an instant. Place one hand on
      your belly and breathe deep; exhale slowly. Relax your shoulders. As you breathe, gently push your belly out so your hand rises as
      you inhale and falls as you exhale.

      THIS WEEK'S FEATURED EVENTS:
      *Please verify event dates with the event websites*
      Check the Runner's Web FrontPage for links to the race sites.
      October 7, 2006:
      TransCanada 10K Championships - Ottawa, ON

      Waddell & Reed Kansas City Marathon - MO

      Television
      CBC 14:00 - 16:00 EDT 2006 Road Cycling World Championships
      Men's & Women's Road Races - From Salzburg, Austria

      October 7-8, 2006:
      Durango Double - Durango, CO

      October 8, 2006:
      Army Ten-Miler - Washington, DC

      B.A.A. Half Marathon, Boston, MA

      IAAF World Road Running Championships - Debrecen, Hungary

      Mt. Rushmore Marathon - Black Hills, SD

      Ottawa Fall Colours Marathon & Runs - Cumberland, ON

      Rock 'n' Roll 1/2 Marathon - San Jose, CA

      Royal Victoria Marathon - Victoria, BC

      Steamtown Marathon - Scranton, PA

      October 9, 2006:
      Tufts Health Plan 10K for Women - Boston, MA

      RACE PREVIEW:
      2007:

      June 23, 2007:
      Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women - Ottawa, ON
      http://www.emiliesrun.com

      For Triathlon Coverage check out The Sports Network at:
      http://www2.sportsnet.ca/tvschedule/tvsked_sport.php?region=ONTARIO&schedule_id=25

      mailto:webmaster@... to notify us of the problem. To update your Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the web

      Runner's Web
      mailto: webmaster@...
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html
      A running and triathlon resource portal
      Runner's Web Online Store
      http://store.runnersweb.com
      RunnersWebCoach
      http://www.runnerswebcoach.com

      RUNNER'S WEB AFFILIATE PROGRAMS:
      All revenue from advertisers and affiliate programs goes into the support of running and triathlon through sponsorship of events,
      teams, clinics and fund raising programs for Canada's Olympic athletes.

      Carmichael Training Systems at:
      http://www.trainright.com/promos.asp?code=DSBYBFCSP

      Reebok
      http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/stat?id=h1QosBYBFXw&offerid=117802&type=3&subid=0

      Your very own personal trainer at a fraction of the cost
      http://www.cartville.com/app/?af=473063

      Check out TotalWellness's mp3 Personal Training Program - only 5% the Cost of Regular Personal Training!
      http://www.totalwellnessconsulting.ca/fitter_u_totalwellness.htm

      Geezer Jock Magazine, The Masters Sports & Fitness Magazine
      http://www.geezerjock.com/index.cfm?affID=runnersweb

      Athletes, Coaches, Trainers and Physio's
      ...new software designs unlimited stretching routines with ease!
      Design unlimited stretching routines today, starting from scratch, in under 60 seconds!
      http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/cmd.php?af=245575&u=http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/products/instantstretch.htm

      Mental Strength Training Center:
      http://www.memberstar.com/redir_a.php?LFAId=1027

      National Bike Registry
      http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/stat?id=vVGS2V*0iZg&offerid=21387&type=3&subid=0

      Axill
      Sony vs Panasonic:
      http://www.axill.com/trackingcode.aspx?affid=8001&pid=1762&bid=4677&c=8001

      Buy Paula Radcliffe's book, My Story - So Far, from Amazon UK at:
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/074325242X/runnersweb-21

      Endurance Films
      Triathlon Training DVDs
      https://endurancefilms.hivelocity.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=EF&Affiliate=runnersweb

      Instant Stretching Routines
      Design unlimited stretching routines today, starting from scratch, in under 60 seconds!
      http://www.instantstretchingroutines.com/cgi-bin/a.cgi?a=runnersweb

      ShoeWallet.com has set out on a mission to enable people to easily carry ID and medical information at all times. Basically, anyone
      who is out on the roads or trails needs a convenient place to carry this vital information.
      http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?joggerscompanion+pXgxpm+index.html+

      SportsShoes in the UK
      http://www.sportsshoes.com/index.php?id=149

      Visit on AssociatesShop.com Online Bookstore for running and triathlon books:
      http://associatesshop.filzhut.de/shop/index.php?ID=90c9f271c1a519abc4a69299be7075a9

      LX Sport - Leading Edge Sports Products for Women.
      "We strive hard to bring you the best fitness and sports products on the market that we can find. Our product range is constantly
      evolving"
      http://www.lxsport.com/products.php?PARTNER=runnersweb. Use the promotion code
      "RWEB".
      This application was recently featured on National TV - please see the following link:
      http://easylink.playstream.com/networknewssource/hdo/onlinetrainer.wvx

      TrainingPeaks.com by Wes Hobson.
      Find the training program that fits you at:
      http://www.trainingpeaks.com/rw

      Triathlon Meetup
      http://triathlon.meetup.com/r/d5n6/d5n6/0/http://triathlon.meetup.com/?a=d5n6/
      Triathlon Meetups! Happening THIS month, find out when .

      TriSwim Coach - The Complete Guide to Triathlon Swimming
      http://hop.clickbank.net/?rhianyth/triswim1

      Adidas
      http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-2141789-10440258

      If you have an accident while running or cycling, do you want your family to be contacted? Do you want to receive immediate and
      proper medical treatment?
      If so, make this cool item part of your gear -- for safety and peace of mind. Road ID has created 4 awesome ways for athletes to
      wear ID: the SHOE, the WRIST, the ANKLE, and the NECK. Get your RoadID at:
      http://www.roadid.com/?referrer=50

      The Stretching Handbook:
      http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/cmd.php?af=245575
      The Stretching Video in a DVD version. With the DVD version you're able to use the convenient menu facility to:
      * Go directly to a specific stretch;
      * View only stretches for a specific muscle group;
      * Pause each stretch to get a good look at how it is performed;
      * View only the introduction and rules for safe stretching; or
      * Play the entire video from start to finish.
      Buy the DVD at:
      http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/cgi-bin/at.pl?a=286905&e=products/video-dvd.htm

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS:
      This newsletter has been composed using Outlook set to "Text" format. The Digest is sent via an email list at
      http://groups.yahoo.com.
      If you experience any delays in receiving your copy of the Digest, please advise us at:
      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for viruses.
      Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor (me) prior to being released to the group. If you have any questions regarding
      the options available for receiving this digest,
      mailto:Webmaster@...
      *NOTE*
      **[ Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two lines. If you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you paste
      the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or another appropriate suffix ].
      Note: An increasing number of media sites require free registration. If you wish to sign up for free access to sources for our
      articles without using your main email address we suggest the use of a mail alias program such as http://www.emailias.com.

      **END OF RUNNER'S AND TRIATHLETE'S WEB DIGEST...**