Runner's and Triathlete's Web - August 4, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2006
      those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out
      our daily news, features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more. General questions should be posted to one of our forums available
      from our FrontPage.

      All of the revenue from our advertisers and affiliates goes to support clubs, athletes and clinics related to multisport and
      Canadian Olympians.

      1. RunnersWeb5K.com Race for Women
      The first RunnersWeb5K.com Race for Women was held on June 24th at Ottawa's Aviation Museum. Canada's #2 ranked marathoner, Nicole
      Stevenson, won the race in 16:28.
      Thirty-five women ran under 20 minutes. For a race report and photos go to:
      The 2007 race date will be Saturday, June 23, 2007.
      The prize money will be increased from $3,000 to $5,000 for open and masters runners. The team competition will be expanded to
      include Open, Club and University Teams.
      More information will be posted at:

      2. Runner's Web Online Store:
      Through a partnership with HDO Sports, the Runner's and Triathlete's Web has opened an online store. Check it out for your shopping
      requirements. The new Garmin 305 is now available with FREE shipping.

      3. RunnersWebCoach
      Through a partnership with HDO Training, the Runner's And Triathlete's Web now offers Interactive Training.

      4. Road Runner Sports, the world's largest running store at:

      5. Toronto Waterfront Marathon. September 24, 2006.

      6. The Toronto Marathon, October 15, 2006

      7. Triple Your Endurance
      The Ultimate Triathlete Training, Time-Shaving, Injury Healing, Mind Focusing, Endurance Boosting System Perfect for the Beginner
      Triathlete up to Advanced.

      The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional Organization for the Running Industry.

      Check the "New Subscribers' note at the bottom of the newsletter

      Get our Syndicated headlines for your site.
      Add the Runner's Web News feed to your site through a simple JavaScript.
      Check out OnTri.com's implementation at:
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is now available through an RSS feed for myYahoo at:

      Get the Runner's Web News Feed via email from Squeet.com. Sign up at:

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet Explorer from the link on our FrontPage at:

      If anyone is looking for a web mail provider, you might wish to consider Google's GMail. Currently you can get GMail by invitation
      only from a current user. My stock of "invites" has been replenished. If you are interested in getting FREE GMail account, contact
      me at: mailto:kparker@... .

      Race Directors:
      Advertise your event on the Runner's Web.

      THIS WEEK:
      Jacques Bourgeois of Quebec City won our August Pegasus Quiz as he identified the photo as Alberto Juantoreno, Cuba. He wins a copy
      of Pegasus Training Log software.

      New affiliate:
      Geezer Jock Magazine, The Masters Sports & Fitness Magazine

      Your chance to win free shoes for life!
      Contest rules:
      For US residents with US address only. No purchase necessary.
      One winner will be selected in a random drawing on August 31st, 2006 from all entries received by August 27, 2006. (Pearl Izumi
      reserves the right to extend the entry deadline to a later date. The deadline extension date will be posted in this section of the
      contest rules no later than August 15, 2006.)
      One Pearl Izumi® prize package will be awarded consisting of: 4 pairs of running shoe, per year, for the life of the winner. Prizes
      will be redeemed through the Pearl Izumi's web-site www.pearlizumi.com. The winner will be given a custom Pearl Izumi on-line
      account with USD credit towards 4 pairs annually of Pearl Izumi® running shoes that they can select solely through the web-site.
      Prize is non-transferable.
      Sign up at: http://www.pearlizumiactive.com

      us at: mailto:webmaster@... or leave your comments in one of our Forums at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/forum.html
      or from our FrontPage.

      We have 1,864 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe
      at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RunnersWeb/join .

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey.
      Sheila is one of Ottawa's top multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public
      Health and works in the field of nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the University of California, San Diego. Her
      column index is available at:

      * Carmichael Training Systems
      Carmichael Training Systems was founded in 1999 by Chris Carmichael.
      From the beginning, the mission of the company has been to improve the lives of individuals we work with through the application of
      proper and effective fitness and competitive training techniques. Whether your focus is recreational, advanced, or you are a
      professional racer, the coaching methodology employed by CTS will make you a better athlete. Check the latest monthly column from
      CTS at:

      * Peak Performance Online
      Peak Performance is a subscription-only newsletter for athletes, featuring the latest research from the sports science world. We
      cover the whole range of sports, from running and rowing to cycling and swimming, and each issue is packed full of exclusive
      information for anyone who's serious about sport. It's published 16 times a year, including four special reports, by Electric Word
      plc. Peak Performance is not available in the shops - only our subscribers are able to access the valuable information we publish.

      * Peak Running Performance
      Peak Running Is The Nation's Most Advanced Running Newsletter. Rated as the #1 Running Publication by Road Runner Sports (Worlds
      Largest Running Store) , Peak Running caters to the serious / dedicated runner. Delivering world class running advice are some of
      running's most recognizable athletes including Dr. Joe Vigil (US Olympic Coach),
      Scott Tinley (2 Time Ironman Champ) Steve Scott (3 Time Olympian) and many more. This bi-monthly newsletter has been around for over
      13 years, and in the past two it has been awarded the "Golden Shoe Award" in recognition of it's outstanding achievements.

      * WatsonLifeSport
      Lance Watson is "Just The Winningest Coach in Triathlon". He has been coaching triathlon and distance running since 1987. Over the
      years, Lance has coached some of the most successful athletes in the sport of triathlon and duathlon.
      Check out the Lance Watson Online Article Index at:

      Running Research News:
      RRN's free, weekly, training update provides subscribers with the most-current, practical, scientifically based information about
      training, sports nutrition, injury prevention, and injury rehabilitation. The purpose of this weekly e-zine is to improve
      subscribers' training quality and to help them train in an injury-free manner.
      Running Research News also publishes a complete, 12-page, electronic newsletter 10 times a year (one-year subscriptions are $35); to
      learn more about Running Research News, please see the Online Article Index and "About Running Research News" sections below or go
      to RRNews.com.
      Check out the article index at:

      We have ONE personal posting this week.
      Dear Friends,
      We apologize if this is the wrong area to post but we are trying to get our message out to as many people as possible. Please take
      a moment to read about us and spread the word. We understand that donations are hard to come by and would like you to know that by
      spreading the word, about our group, we can help continue to serve the community.
      In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina many of our members, who were affected, have begun to return home. We are hoping to provide
      young athletes, in the area, with a great year of programs. We hope that our structured programs will help children heal and recover
      during this difficult time.
      Team Xcelerate gives local athletes the chance to compete in amateur track & field events both locally and nationally. Last summer
      Team Xcelerate competed in 9 local meets and the 2005 AAU Jr. Olympics. Athletes participated in 85+ hours of organized practices
      between May and August. Team Xcelerate sent 21 athletes to the Jr. Olympic qualifier and had 18 athletes qualify, in over 30
      events, for the 2005 Jr. Olympic Games. Those 18 athletes represented 82% of our team at the Regional Qualifying Meet. Our 2006
      season is concluding and we have 8 athletes qualified for Jr. Olympics, held in Virginia, this year. Those 8 athletes represent 67%
      of our team at the Regional Qualifying Meet.
      Local coaches provide children with a positive environment to train and grow physically & emotionally, build confidence and
      self-esteem while promoting good sportsmanship and good citizenship. Team Xcelerate is dedicated exclusively to the promotion and
      development of amateur sports, physical fitness programs and helping athletes in their academic endeavors.
      This year Team Xcelerate is raising funds to support local youth and keep athletes anticipating their next practice and competition.
      Your contribution of $25 or more can help bring this opportunity to New Orleans' area athletes. Join supporters such as Subway,
      Kentwood, Dr. Erica Manger and more. Become a part of one of New Orleans' premier youth athletic programs and mail your check or
      money order to Team Xcelerate, at the address below, and become an important part of this year's program. You can also make an
      donation, online, at www.active.com/donate/teamxcelerate. Team Xcelerate is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization. Your donation will
      help offset costs of uniforms, equipment, competition registrations, travel and provide financial aid to local athletes in need.
      Team Xcelerate's Tax ID# is: 76-0788300.
      Thank you for your support,
      Coach Brad Taliancich (mailto:teamxyg@...)
      Director, Team Xcelerate

      1. Sports Psychology: Triathletes are now in transition!
      By Michelle Cleere, Sports Psychology Consultant
      2. Multisport: Walk Before You Run - Get Efficient and Go Faster
      By Coach Brendon, EnduranceCoach.com.
      3. Cycling: How to Solve Saddle Sores
      4. So Big and Healthy Nowadays That Grandpa Wouldn’t Even Know You
      5. Joe Henderson's Running Commentary - Learning to Win
      6. Feasting After The Finish
      7. Cycling Medicine: Acute Overuse of the Legs
      8. Runners who sleep longer, perform better for longer - by Bobby McGee
      9. The Facts about Menstruation and Running
      10. Your Last Tri? Race, Clot, Die
      Endurance athletes, take the time to read this.
      11. Eaters’ Digest
      Discover your inner enzymes.
      12. From Runner's World
      13. Triathlon: Planning Your Ironman Training Cycle
      14. The science of why exercise is good for you: Explaining the biology of exercise
      15. Weightlifting Can Tear the Heart
      In rare cases, heavy strain triggers deadly aortic dissection, experts say.
      16. Marathon Q & A
      Jason Karp is a running coach and a doctoral candidate in exercise physiology at Indiana University who specializes in distance
      running. Elisabeth Andrews, IU Media Relations, talked with him about marathon training and how to improve her marathon time.
      17. From Jason Karp's VO2Max Newsletter
      18. Cool down before you go
      Reducing heat strain is good. Doing it without hampering performance is even better.
      19. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health e-Zine
      20. Rethinking the Wall
      Research Provides a New Definition of Fatigue.
      21. A DRINK A DAY
      Alcohol can be good for the heart -- not just occasionally, but often. Still, doctors hesitate to recommend ...
      23. Fit Facts: Running with baby
      24. Diet and Exercise: The Real Fountains of Youth
      25. Digest Briefs

      "Should television be able to dictate the timing of finals in the Beijing Olympics?

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage ( http://www.runnersweb.com) as well as checking the results of previous polls.
      Post your views in our Forum at:
      [Free Registration Required]

      "Do you believe Floyd Landis is guilty of doping?"
      Answers Percent
      1. Innocent 42%
      2. Guilty 42%
      3. Don't care 17%

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE WEEK: TriathlonGuide.com.
      A triathlon training guide for triathlete enthusiasts!
      For triathlon training, you need to be consistent and show perseverance. It seems simple. Swim. Bike. Run. Simple concept, but it
      takes months of hard work, mental focus and perseverance to complete this multi-sport. This training guide for triathlons will
      provide insightful stories, articles, and links to great tools to help you try your first tri or improve on your previous
      performance at the Ironman.
      Visit the site at:

      BOOK OF THE WEEK: Younger Next year for Women
      Editorial Reviews
      From Publishers Weekly
      Crowley and Lodge rework their bestselling Younger Next Year (which targeted men) to address health and aging concerns for women.
      Former attorney Crowley's chatty voice alternates with internist-gerontologist Lodge's straightforward medical perspective. The
      authors promise that major lifestyle changes, including a six-days-a-week exercise regime, and a positive view of aging will make
      the "next third" of life—the stage after menopause—the most fulfilling. Because women live longer, are highly motivated for change
      and fear aging less than men do, the authors contend, they will reap great benefits from the program. Crowley and Lodge put their
      own spin on commonsense health essentials, with Lodge adding information on the latest antiaging breakthroughs. A variety of
      activities (biking, skiing, sailing, yoga) will likely make the intensive exercise plan more enjoyable. Although there is little new
      material, women may find the 71-year-old Crowley's cheerleading appealing—the old buddy tone of the previous edition is exchanged
      for that of a male "girlfriend"—and a great motivator not only for making lifestyle changes but for equating health with how one
      feels, not how one looks. (Jan.)
      Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
      Book Description
      Now, a women’s edition. A New York Times bestseller with 115,000 copies in print in hardcover, Younger Next Year is the breakthrough
      program for men to turn back their biological clocks and live healthier, more active lives into their 80s and beyond. Experts
      believed, the press raved:
      “An extraordinary book. It is easy to read and the science is right.” —K. Craig Kent, M.D., chief of vascular surgery, New
      York–Presbyterian Hospital
      “Brain-rattling, irresistible, hilarious . . . it could change your life.”—Washington Post
      But the fact is that women have even more to gain from Younger Next Year. Just as the average woman lives longer (three decades past
      menopause) than the average man, the average woman has more anxiety about aging. Younger Next Year for Women is a book of hope.
      Though keeping the same lively, alternating voices—Chris Crowley’s rough-and-ready passion for the cause, Harry Lodge’s cool,
      convincing science—the book is recast to bring its revolutionary findings about staving off 70% of the normal decay associated with
      aging specifically to women. It covers menopause and postmenopause at length, cardiac disease, osteoporosis, sexuality, even
      finances. It adapts its simple, lifesaving motivational rules—Exercise Six Days a Week, Don’t Eat Crap, Connect to Other People—to
      contemporary women’s lifestyles. And brings to its message a refreshing bluntness that says yes, you have come a long way, and
      you’ve got a longer way to go. Now enjoy it for all it’s worth.
      Buy the book from Amazon at:

      1. Sports Psychology: Triathletes are now in transition!
      By Michelle Cleere, Sports Psychology Consultant
      Michelle is starting a sports psychology Q and A on the Runner's Web. Submit your questions to Michelle at: SportsMindedMC@...
      and we will post her answers on the Runner's Web.
      A friend trained a full year to do an Ironman triathlon. At the conclusion of her event she had a conversation with me about her
      depression, weight gain, irritability, and lack of energy. My friend spent a lot of time with her team and now doesn’t. She spent
      hours every day training and now doesn’t. She put in an enormous amount of energy, training and learning about the sport; all things
      that weren’t ordinary to her life and now doesn’t. Unconsciously she gave up everything in her life during that time and when the
      event was over she had no resources to deal with the aftermath. She had a job, a daughter, a house, and friends but she had put
      those things on the back burner for an entire year so she could train for her Ironman and trying to figure out how to get her life
      back was a real struggle.
      Does this sound like you? Do you put everything into your sport and when the event or season is over question what happened to the
      rest of your life? It is a common problem particularly among endurance athletes. Most vulnerable seem to be first time endurance
      athletes, beginning ultra-endurance athletes and women. First timers, beginning ultra-endurance and women athletes are most prone
      because they all come prepared to do whatever it takes to get through their first or their longest and for women it’s just part of
      their make up.
      More...from the Runner's Web at:

      2. Multisport: Walk Before You Run - Get Efficient and Go Faster:
      By Coach Brendon, EnduranceCoach.com.
      Recently I was up in China, I was invited to coach the Chinese National Coaches via an IOC Olympic Solidarity Grant.
      One of the things that was obvious was a real lack of understanding of progressions that will help athletes get faster - you've got
      to walk before you run. They certainly were not afraid to train hard and the do some huge training sessions, as much as the top
      triathletes in other parts of the world. But they were, on the whole, very inefficient. They don't focus enough on technique and
      efficiency - they are leaving this one largely to chance that it will improve itself. Thus they are yet to really make a mark on the
      international triathlon scene.
      I was then able to attend the New Zealand Schools Triathlon in April, what was clearly obvious there was a real lack of technique,
      especially running. Apart from a few boys in the Seniors and a couple of the fastest girls, there was a lot of inefficient running
      technique being displayed - of course it's easier to see when athletes run after swimming and cycling because they are tired. What I
      saw was a whole group of fit, talented athletes with poor technique. To me it was as plain as day what they need to do, which is GET
      Let's look at the key progression of efficiency. Now if I was a beginner at any sport I'd be thinking that the best thing to do is
      master technique and GET EFFICIENT. Why? Because Fitness times Poor Efficiency is still SLOW and it's also tiring and takes a lot of
      effort. Working on technique on the other hand is easy (it's a freebie for improvement in my mind) and when it's combined with
      follow up harder or longer training, it nets great rewards.
      Now there is no reason that a beginner can't work on technique while slowly increasing the amount of training that they do - by
      doing that they are increasing the VALUE of the time spent in relation to their goal. Actually there is no reason to stop ANY level
      of athlete doing this. Yet it's often the more experienced athletes that do this. I guess it's easier to see the value once you've
      done it the hard way!
      More...from the Runner's Web at:

      3. Cycling: How to Solve Saddle Sores:
      By Fred Matheny for www.RoadBikeRider.com
      A saddle sore can ruin a ride. Even a tiny zit can begin to feel like you’re perched on a golf ball. Nearly as painful are crotch
      abrasions caused by shorts that bunch or have an irritating seam.
      Even the pros, hardened by thousands of miles in the saddle, fall victim to what cycling author Arnie Baker, M.D., calls
      “crotchitis.” Fabled tough guys like Eddy Merckx and Sean Kelly had to abandon races when the pain became too great.
      Most medical experts say that saddle sores are actually boils caused by skin bacteria that invade surface abrasions. Remedies have
      come a long way from the era when riders would put slabs of raw steak in their shorts to cushion the abraded area.
      Of course, avoiding saddle sores is better than curing them (or ruining a good sirloin). Here’s how:
      * Improve your bike fit. If your seat is too high, your hips rock on each pedal stroke and strum your soft tissue across the nose
      of the saddle. The result is irritated skin and a greater chance of infection. Especially if you suffer from chronic saddle sores,
      have your position checked by an experienced coach or knowledgeable bike shop person.
      * Stand frequently. Doing so takes pressure off your crotch and restores circulation. Get in the habit of standing for 15-20 seconds
      every few minutes. Use natural opportunities such as short hills, rough pavement or accelerating from stop signs. Stand and stretch
      when you’re at the back of a paceline or group.
      * Move on the saddle. Sit mostly toward the rear where your sit bones get maximum support and take pressure off your crotch. But
      also move farther back on seated climbs, and more to the middle when bending low to make good time. Each shift relieves pressure
      * Choose a smooth chamois. Look for shorts with a one-piece liner or one that’s sewn with flat seams. It may take experimenting with
      shorts brands or chamois types to find the model that works best. Women often do better with shorts designed specifically for their
      anatomy and that have a liner with no center seam. See the RoadBikeRider.com article, "How to Choose Cycling Shorts."
      More...from the Runner's Web at:

      4. So Big and Healthy Nowadays That Grandpa Wouldn’t Even Know You:
      Valentin Keller enlisted in an all-German unit of the Union Army in Hamilton, Ohio, in 1862. He was 26, a small, slender man, 5 feet
      4 inches tall, who had just become a naturalized citizen. He listed his occupation as tailor.
      His pension record tells of his suffering. “His rheumatism is so that he is unable to walk without the aid of crutches and then only
      with great pain,” it says. His lungs and his joints never got better, and Keller never worked again.
      He died at age 41 of “dropsy,” which probably meant that he had congestive heart failure, a condition not associated with his time
      in the Army. His 39-year-old wife, Otilia, died a month before him of what her death certificate said was “exhaustion.”
      People of Valentin Keller’s era, like those before and after them, expected to develop chronic diseases by their 40’s or 50’s.
      Keller’s descendants had lung problems, they had heart problems, they had liver problems. They died in their 50’s or 60’s.
      Now, though, life has changed. The family’s baby boomers are reaching middle age and beyond and are doing fine.
      “I feel good,” says Keller’s great-great-great-grandson Craig Keller. At 45, Mr. Keller says he has no health problems, nor does his
      45-year-old wife, Sandy.
      More...from the NY Times at:

      5. Joe Henderson's Running Commentary - Learning to Win:
      I've written on almost every subject related to running, but my true technical contributions are few. Long slow distance (LSD) was
      one, walk breaks another, and marathon training-for-the-masses a third. Without claiming originality for any of these practices,
      I've promoted all three for a long time.
      I'm happy to have "coached" slow runners, run-walkers and marathoners. But I'm much prouder of another contribution.
      This isn't a training approach. It's an attitude toward winning.
      Before learning my first lesson in running to win, I had to unlearn an old one. The most popular sign of the 1950s in school locker
      rooms read, "Winners never quit, and quitters never win."
      Later I would redefine the meaning of that line. But at the time I believed it wholeheartedly in its original meaning. So did my
      coach, Dean Roe.
      Mr. Roe coached winners. His first football team at our high school won the state title. One of his early basketball teams played in
      the state tournament.
      I wanted Mr. Roe to make me a winner on that level. It didn't happen in football or basketball, for reasons obvious to anyone who
      sees me now. (My height topped out at 5-5.)
      Our school offered just three sports. Track was the last of them.
      You don't need to be big to win at track, I thought, and you don't need to be fast to win in the mile run. All you have to do is try
      hard. I could do that.
      In my first mile race I tried to stay with the leaders, who spit me out of their company on the first lap. Exhaustion deposited me
      beside the track after little more than one minute's running.
      Slumped on the grass, I thought: this was my last chance to be an athlete, and I blew it. I'm a loser.
      To Dean Roe, quitting was worse than losing. He wouldn't let me quit. He told me to pick myself up and, next time, to finish what
      I'd started.
      "I don't care if you finish last," he said. "That beats dropping out."
      More...from Joe Henderson at:

      6. Feasting After The Finish:
      It's a familiar sight beyond the finish line: Runners lined up to grab a free bagel, banana, or bag of chips, taking advantage of
      the celebratory atmosphere, and the convenient snack opportunity.
      But just as familiar is the runner who gets distracted by stretching or meeting up with friends and family; who holds out for the
      restaurant reservation; or who is simply not able to fathom consuming food after such a hard effort—and neglects to eat.
      Whether you choose to graze the freebies table or not, make sure you don't leave your stomach empty for too long. While it's always
      important to eat something after exercise, it's especially important to do so following a race. Because whether it was running at a
      faster pace or for a longer distance, you're likely to have challenged your body a little more than usual. And the more you tax your
      muscles, the more crucial it is to facilitate tissue repair by replacing the glycogen that your body used to fuel the workout.
      And your muscles are most hungry for glycogen restoration within 15-30 minutes after exercise. While you may not feel hunger cues
      until well after this time, if you miss this window following a particularly hard endurance race or exhaustive speed workout, you
      can set yourself up for prolonged muscle soreness or stiffness, and this
      can affect your training (or your general comfort!) for days.
      Just as you prepared for the race itself, have a good strategy for your post-race snack. Anticipate a depressed appetite or a delay
      in your meal, and commit to consuming something small and efficient as soon as you finish; be sure to tuck something palatable into
      your bag so you won't be at the mercy of the local vendor choices or race directors' tastes. A few suggestions:
      More...from Nike at:
      [Long URL]

      7. Cycling Medicine: Acute Overuse of the Legs:
      In the rush to cram cycling into our busy lifestyles, recovery is typically the first thing that gets thrown out the window. After
      all, it’s easy to prescribe training programs but more difficult to prescribe, or adhere to, recovery programs. Dr. Rick Rosa
      returns with a cautionary tale about what happens when we push our bodies too far by trying to do it all…
      By Rick Rosa, D.C.,D.A.A.P.M.
      Bike-Run Transition
      This year for my birthday, my good friend Dave and I rode 100 miles with over 8,000 feet of climbing. It was a hard ride but I had
      fun. Once the ride was over I went home to recover while Dave figured he would play a little coed soccer with his wife. I’m not sure
      if it was the lactic acid bath during the ride or the pressure to do things with his wife that clouded his otherwise rock solid
      judgment, but he set himself up for disaster.
      While playing soccer he was running up and down the field making quick accelerations and decelerations as well as lateral movements.
      At one point he felt a sharp pain in his hamstring, namely the semitendinosus muscle. Soon after that, he began to experience pain
      in the upper part of his rectus femoris muscle (the middle thigh). He eventually came into my office after the injury did not
      improve and he noted it was affecting his riding.
      Dave is a seasoned 16 year Cat-3 cyclist and, like many cyclists, he is always trying to find time to train. He is well versed on
      most things associated with cycling including injuries, and he did take it easy for a while, limiting the amount of intervals and
      power level he was producing. The pain was not improving so he finally brought it up in conversation with me, so I scheduled an
      appointment to see my good friend and help him with this problem.
      More...from Pez Cycling at:

      8. Runners who sleep longer, perform better for longer - by Bobby McGee:
      We've all experienced it before - a series of late nights before a key race, leading to a sluggish, disappointing run. Lack of
      sleep, it seems, negatively affects our running.
      The link between sleep-deprivation and poor performance has been clinically proven. Studies with volunteers who lost just two hours
      of sleep for three nights had delayed reaction times and impaired concentration.
      The studies determined that good sleep is the key to a rested, strong heart. When runners fall asleep, levels of hormones called
      catecholamines decrease. These hormones normally stimulate the sympathetic nervous system during the waking hours. As a result,
      blood pressure decreases, heart rate begins to slow and blood vessels dilate, making it easier for blood to flow. In simple terms:
      The heart gets a rest.
      When you become sleep-deprived, catecholamine levels can actually increase. This raises blood pressure and makes the heart work
      harder than it normally would. That means that runners who train hard early in the morning after insufficient sleep are looking for
      Health warning
      Sleeplessness can negatively impact your immune defenses. Immune cells may be the primary reason why we feel sleepy. When we ignore
      this desire to sleep, anti-germ cells called natural killers begin to lose their effectiveness. The result is often an infection
      that robs us of our fitness and wastes months of precious training.
      The occasional night or two without sleep probably won't impact us too badly, but chronic sleep-deprivation might. You will notice
      an elevated morning heart rate, a decreased ability to recover from workouts and a definite drop in performance.
      Get some sleep
      More...from Runner's World South Africa at:

      9. The Facts about Menstruation and Running:
      A number of old wives’ tales have percolated down the years on this subject: "My mother says I mustn’t have a bath, go swimming or
      running while I have my period..." This is nonsense!
      A female athlete's performance may depend on the phase of the menstrual cycle she is in. The menstrual cycle ranges from 21 to 35
      days and is rarely the often-quoted 28 days, and comprises of three phases: menstrual phase (menses), pre-ovulatory phase and the
      post-ovulatory phase.
      The menstrual phase is the periodic discharge of 25 to 65ml of blood, tissue fluid etc and lasts for approximately 2 to 9 days. The
      exact timing of the menarche is affected by genetic, racial, socio-economic and climatic factors.
      Stress can either shorten or lengthen the menstrual cycle.
      All sport is a stress, and usually lengthens it. Females, who go to altitude to compete or train, have an added stress due to the
      lack of oxygen, which usually shortens the cycle. It is important for a sportswoman and her adviser to know what is going on in her
      body and at what stage the cycle is at.
      Hormones and PMS – a matter of timing?
      Oestrogen and progesterone are steroids. It is the pre-menstrual fall in these that, in some women, cause the phenomena of
      pre-menstrual syndrome (PMS). However, while both decline to the 14th day, progesterone climbs to a peak on the 20th day and it is
      that this hormone is the major cause of PMS.
      The sportswoman and her coach have for many years searched for the ideal time in the menstrual cycle when performance will be at its
      peak. They have equally searched for natural ways of neutralising any psychological and physical handicaps caused by PMS and the
      actual period.
      Some research in 1993 (Menstrual Cycle Phase and Running Economy, Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, Vol. 25(5), pS74,
      1993) goes some way towards solving part of the equation. Eight fit, normally menstruating females were asked to run at intensities
      of 55% and 80% VO2 max during different stages of their menstrual cycles.
      This intensity approximates to 70% and 88% of the maximal heart rate, respectively. The mid-luteal phase of the cycle (about a week
      after ovulation, i.e. a week before actual menstruation), turned out to be a time when exercise became more difficult and
      psychological health took a nosedive (depression, fatigue and confusion increased while feelings of vigor declined).
      However, the lactate threshold – the exercise intensity above which large amounts of lactate begin to accumulate in the blood – was
      not influenced by the menstrual cycle phase. In further research, eight female distance runners were asked to run at close to top
      speeds for short periods of time and also ran as far as possible at an intensity of 85% VO2 max, about 90% of maximal heart rate.
      None of the variables measured – VO2 max, blood lactate, lactate threshold, maximal heart rate and fat oxidation – were different at
      any stage of the menstrual cycle.
      More...from the World of Endurance at:

      10. Your Last Tri? Race, Clot, Die:
      Endurance athletes, take the time to read this.
      By Matt Simpson
      Surprising as it is, about 85% of air travel blood clot victims are usually endurance-type athletes. Well, pat yourself on the back
      for doing one of the smartest things for your training, your racing, and your life and read on.
      The Skinny on Blood Clots:
      As an endurance athlete you are perilously flirting with hefty blood clot formations even if you are as sculpted as the Statue of
      David, have a V02 max paramount to Steve Prefontaine's, and the most upsetting news received after your annual physical is that
      they've run out of cherry lollipops.
      A blood clot (or thrombosis) is basically blood that has been converted from a liquid to a more gelatinous-solid state. Normal
      conditions of clotting follow Haemostasis: The process by which the body stops blood loss whenever a vessel is severed or ruptured.
      If the injury is large, platelet 'plug' formations aggregate at the site of the injury, which initiate blood coagulation. With the
      help of complex enzymatic reactions, fibrin strand formations create a meshwork to trap red blood cells and other platelets, forming
      what we see as the mature clot.
      More applicable to the endurance athlete is the Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), which is normally, but not always, located in the legs.
      Where a DVT distinguishes itself from a normal thrombosis is that the DVT occurs inside the blood vessel rather than outside like
      normal clots. If the DVT is large enough it can partially or completely block blood flow. Now, you are flirting with the Grim
      Reaper. If the clot breaks free it may then take an unfettered happy field trip through the blood stream, ending with an abrupt
      rest-room break at the lungs where it there could obstructs blood flow. If you have yet to attain your angel wings, congratulations,
      you just found the zenith of your pain threshold via surviving a Pulmonary Embolism (PE).
      I suppose you are sitting here now pondering, "Wow, this guy is a walking buzz kill!"
      No need to get your Ironman underwear all in a wad just yet, the next bit of information applies directly to you.
      More...from TriFuel at:

      11. Eaters’ Digest:
      Discover your inner enzymes.
      Here’s a credibility test for your local health food/vitamin store: Ask which products might help you overcome a bit of heartburn or
      mild indigestion.
      The answer should include an inexpensive bottle of papain, which is extracted from papaya. Chewing three or four tablets after a
      meal is likely to soothe more than a few touchy tummies. You might well kick an antacids habit — and avoid prescription drugs
      all-too-often dispensed for digestive upset, when just a minor change in diet might be a better route.
      Health practitioners have hotly debated digestive enzymes for years. Enzyme supplement skeptics contend our bodies produce mostly
      all of the enzymes necessary to digest and process our meals. They point out that enzymes are plentiful in all plant and animal
      foods. But raw foods proponents and other holistic practitioners counter that cooking food destroys the natural enzyme content. Heat
      your veggies over 118 degrees Fahrenheit, and the enzymes go poof. Pasteurization, microwaving and even the seemingly healthful
      canning all result in the same enzyme-obliterating end.
      As a sports nutritionist, Julie Burns couldn’t have more mainstream clients than the Chicago White Sox, winners of last fall’s World
      Series. So when Burns speaks up on behalf of enzyme supplements, she’s hardly a voice from the alternative health fringes.
      More...from Common Ground at:

      12. From Runner's World:
      * Coach's Corner
      A long run gives you the chance to practice skills you will need in a marathon, such as drinking fluids and eating energy foods.
      Long runs build confidence in your ability simply to run for a long time. Equally important, you learn patience. The long run forces
      you to slow down and pace yourself wisely.
      * Injury Prevention
      Ease side stitch pain
      When a stitch strikes, concentrate on breathing from your belly with every exhale, then pull your abdomen and chest in on every
      inhale. After four full breaths, visualize the cramp and try to direct your breath to it, as if you were massaging it away.
      Side stitches can be a major pain--especially when they pop up during a hard workout or race
      * Performance Nutrition
      Super Strawberries?
      Strawberries are low in fat and high in vitamins, especially beta-carotene, vitamin C, and folate. They also provide lots of fluid,
      making them a good snack after a workout, especially on hot days.
      * Editor's Advice
      "Look for social distraction!
      Run with a friend or two, and your stress level will plunge in the first mile of conversation." -Kristin Baver, RW editorial intern
      * Training Talk
      "Nearly every elite runner incorporates hill running into his or her training in one way or another. The chief benefit of hill
      running is that it offers greater gravitational resistance and is therefore a greater strength builder than flat running." -From the
      Cutting-Edge by Matt Fitzgerald

      13. Triathlon: Planning Your Ironman Training Cycle:
      by Patrick McCrann
      Ask any IM veteran and they will tell you that the hardest part of the Ironman isn’t what happens on race day. The hardest part is
      actually making it to the starting line. Being ready on race day has a lot more to do with what you’ve done over the last six months
      than the type of wheels you have or the terrain you’ll encounter on the course. It’s my experience that the training leading up to
      the race is a pretty solid indicator of performance. Nail the training and chances are, you’ll be in a good place on race day.
      The Cycles
      Two distinct cycles lie ahead in your IM training: preparation and build. Regardless of your experience level, preparation training
      is predominantly aerobic work and includes drills, Zone 1-2 runs and cycling as well as a focus on technique. Build training is a
      bit more individual, as the level and duration of the work depends on your experience, current fitness level and your race day
      The length of these cycles depends on your overall fitness and race experience. The less fit you are, the more real training you
      can get done, the better off you will be. This training will be primarily aerobic / endurance focused. On the other hand, the fitter
      you are, the less build you need to do, but this training will be at a somewhat higher intensity (endurance / tempo). In other
      words, the fitter you are, the longer you can wait on the real training – but you have to work harder. For those of you who have
      multiple IM races under your belt, you know that you have a bit more leeway with your training as the overall fitness gains are
      cumulative and tend to stick around despite downturns in your exercise cycle.
      More...from the Runner's Web at:

      14. The science of why exercise is good for you: Explaining the biology of exercise:
      By Chris Crowley and Henry S. Lodge, M.D.
      In "Younger Next Year for Women," Chris Crowley and Henry S. Lodge, M.D., detail how exercise slows the aging process for all humans

      Aerobic fitness is all about making more energy in the muscles. That means building more mitochondria in your cells and bringing
      them more fuel and oxygen. Mitochondria are tiny engines in your cells that can burn either fat or glucose. It's like having a car
      that can run on either diesel (fat) or gasoline (glucose), depending on your needs: diesel for long-haul road trips, high-octane
      gasoline for speed. Your muscles prefer to burn fat most of the time, because it's a more efficient fuel, but for hard exercise you
      burn glucose.
      At rest, and with light exercise, you burn 95 percent fat and 5 percent glucose. Most fat is stored around your belly and hips. Your
      body has to bring it to your muscles through your circulation. Fat has to be carried in special proteins called triglycerides.
      Capillaries can handle only a few triglyceride molecules at a time. So each capillary can deliver only a trickle of fat to your
      mitochondria. With consistent aerobic training, your body builds vast new networks of capillaries to bring more fat to your muscles.
      Eventually, however, you are delivering as much fat as you possibly can, and if you want to go faster, or harder, you need to start
      bringing glucose to the mitochondria to use as a second fuel.
      With harder exercise you keep burning fat in the background, but all the extra energy comes from burning glucose. Most of the
      glucose is stored in your muscles ahead of time, but your circulation gets a double workout, first bringing in more glucose and the
      oxygen necessary to burn it, then carrying away the exhaust, especially the carbon dioxide.
      Steady aerobic exercise, over months and years, produces dramatic improvements in your circulatory system, which is one of the ways
      exercise saves your life. Exercise stresses your muscles, and they release enough cytokine-6, known as C-6, a chemical for
      inflammation or decay, to trigger cytokine-10, known as C-10, the master chemical for repair and growth. The C-10 released by the
      adaptive micro-trauma of exercise drives the creation of new mitochondria, the storage of more glucose in the muscle cells and the
      growth of new capillaries to feed them. Your muscles get hard as you get in shape because they're stuffed full of all the new
      mitochondria, capillaries and extra glucose.
      You have two natural aerobic paces, easy and hard, and they depend on two very different muscle metabolisms, which are determined by
      the fuel you use. Low-intensity, light aerobic exercise burns fat, while high intensity, hard aerobic exercise burns glucose. It's a
      critical difference, because these two paces trigger the two distinct metabolisms of foraging and hunting, which are our essential
      physical rhythms. Those two activities consumed most of our waking hours in nature, and each one called for distinctly different
      body and brain functions. Never mind that you're walking through the park rather than foraging, or at spin class rather than
      hunting: light and hard aerobics are still the master control signals for C-6 and C-10.
      More...from the Runner's Web at:
      Buy the book from Amazon at:

      15. Weightlifting Can Tear the Heart:
      In rare cases, heavy strain triggers deadly aortic dissection, experts say.
      A new study finds that, in some people, heavy weightlifting can lead to aortic dissection, the rare but deadly cardiac event that
      killed actor John Ritter.
      Aortic dissection refers to a splitting of the wall of the aorta, the largest blood vessel in the body. The splitting allows blood
      under pressure to enter between the layers of the wall of the aorta. This condition is fatal unless the patient is immediately
      diagnosed and has surgery.
      In this study, cardiothoracic surgeons at Yale-New Haven Hospital examined 31 cases of aortic dissection linked to weightlifting.
      They concluded that, in people with pre-existing mild to moderate aortic enlargement, heavy weightlifting can increase blood
      pressure and raise aortic wall stress to the point that it causes aortic dissection.
      The findings were published in the July online issue of the journal Cardiology.
      More...from Health Scout at:

      16. Marathon Q & A:
      Jason Karp is a running coach and a doctoral candidate in exercise physiology at Indiana University who specializes in distance
      running. Elisabeth Andrews, IU Media Relations, talked with him about marathon training and how to improve her marathon time.
      EA: Most people think they could never run a marathon. But after I ran one for the first time, I was convinced that anyone can cover
      26.2 miles with proper training. Is the marathon for everybody?
      JK: There are a lot of programs out there that say anyone can run a marathon -- but it's not necessarily the case. Certainly there
      are a lot of recreational runners who can do it if they are ready to put in the work. But you have to ask whether your body can take
      the pounding that comes with running all that mileage. I'd tell someone to go ahead with a marathon training program if he or she
      has been running consistently for some time and can run eight to 10 miles without stopping. You need to get to that point first to
      see how stressful it will be on your body and whether your joints can handle the impact.
      EA: That sounds like I'm putting my joints in danger. Is my mother right? Am I going to get osteoporosis from all my training?
      JK: No, the evidence shows that there's no difference between runners and non-runners in developing osteoporosis or osteoarthritis.
      Running can be hard on your body in the short term, but it hasn't been shown to lead to long-term problems. But my mom worries about
      me, too.
      EA: What makes for a good training program?
      JK: You want to replicate the conditions of the race as much as possible. Marathon training is mostly about mileage. The idea is to
      run the most amount of mileage with the least amount of stress to your body. You should increase your mileage gradually and plan on
      running five to six days a week with a long run on the weekend. More competitive runners will add on tempo runs at race pace and
      eventually some interval training. But in the beginning, you want to focus on mileage. I strongly recommend you have a program
      written specifically for you to address your strengths and weaknesses as a runner. But if you go with a "cookie-cutter" program, I
      recommend Jack Daniels' book, "Daniels' Running Formula."
      EA: Along with a good training program, are there other essentials for preparing for a marathon?
      JK: Recovery is absolutely essential, and it's often overlooked. You may need to sleep more -- elite marathon runners sleep nine or
      10 hours a night and take naps. Eating is another big part of recovery. You have to replace your carbohydrates after a long run. The
      optimum time to do this is 30 to 60 minutes after your run. Start eating or drinking carbohydrates right away and keep eating snacks
      for the next four to six hours. I start with a giant glass of chocolate milk that I take with me into the shower!
      More...from Indiana University at:

      17. From Jason Karp's VO2Max Newsletter:
      * Integrating Science with Application--Should You Stretch?
      All runners I've ever known stretch before, and sometimes after, they run. I even do it myself. Ever wonder if all that stretching
      does anything? Are we wasting our time? While most runners believe that stretching prevents injuries, research tells a different
      story. If the activity includes explosive or ballistic movements, like volleyball, basketball, and plyometric training, studies have
      shown that stretching can reduce injuries by increasing the compliance of tendons and improve their ability to absorb energy.
      However, for low-intensity activities that don't include ballistic movements, like running, cycling, and swimming, studies have
      shown that stretching has no beneficial effect on injury prevention since there is no need for very compliant tendons. While
      stretching may not prevent you from becoming injured, it can improve your flexibility if done as part of a flexibility training
      * Do Muscles Have Tone?
      Have you ever heard someone say, "I want to tone my muscles."? Maybe you've even said it yourself. While you can make your muscles
      stronger and look better, you can't tone them. "Tone" refers to a partial state of muscle contraction. The muscle fibers in your
      biceps or any other skeletal muscle either contract or they don't. There is no such thing as a partial contraction. Like a light,
      fibers are either on or off. You vary the amount of muscle force by varying the number of muscle fibers you contract and the
      frequency with which those fibers are recruited, not by varying their degree of contraction. Smooth muscles, which line blood
      vessels and the gastrointestinal and urinary tracts, on the other hand, can contract partially. They have a dimmer on their light
      switch, called tone. This comes in handy when trying to do such things as regulate blood pressure, which is elegantly accomplished
      by subtle alterations in the dilation and constriction of blood vessels.
      * VO2max and Oxygen Partial Pressure
      Continuing to understand the controlling factors of VO2max...
      The adequacy of pulmonary oxygen transfer is determined by the difference in the partial pressure of oxygen between the alveoli and
      arteries. Alveolar partial pressure depends on the inspired fraction of oxygen, barometric pressure, the ratio between expired
      carbon dioxide and inspired oxygen, and the partial pressure of carbon dioxide in the alveoli. If the alveolar partial pressure of
      oxygen falls, so does the arterial partial pressure of oxygen and, consequently, blood oxygen saturation. With a decreased
      saturation of oxygen in your blood, VO2max decreases. One of the variables in the above list--barometric pressure--is the reason
      why VO2max is lower at altitude. Since the barometric pressure decreases with increasing altitude, alveolar and arterial partial
      pressures of oxygen, blood oxygen saturation, and VO2max all decrease. But at least the air is thinner up there, right?
      From Jason Karp's VO2Max Newsletter - http://www.runcoachjason.com
      Copyright Jason Karp - All rights reserved

      18. Cool down before you go:
      Reducing heat strain is good. Doing it without hampering performance is even better.
      Olympic athletes wear them to boost their endurance. U.S. soldiers wear them to stave off heatstroke. With recent temperatures
      making Dante's Inferno look like a spa vacation, cooling exercise garments may be an idea whose time has finally come.
      Researchers have known that wearing cooling garments — such as gel-filled vests — to lower overall body temperature before endurance
      events enables athletes to delay overheating, thus operating at peak performance longer.
      There seems to be a temperature — some call it a safety brake — at which people poop out," says Dr. William Roberts, past president
      of the American College of Sports Medicine.
      But conventional wisdom and research have supported the notion that limbs benefit from being warmed up before exercise, not cooled
      down. The effect of cooling limbs — such as legs before a cycling event — hadn't been extensively investigated.
      More...from the LA Times at:

      19. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health e-Zine:
      * Muscles Recover Faster in the Morning
      A study from France shows that it takes longer to recover from hard exercise in the evening than in the morning (International
      Journal of Sports Medicine, Volume 27, 2006).
      Cyclists performed ten six-second bouts of all out effort, with 30-second rest periods while the researchers measured peak power
      output, total mechanical work, peak pedaling rate, and peak efficient torque. The same group of cyclists performed these workouts
      in the morning on one day, and in the evening on another day. They found that the short-term recovery patterns were slower in the
      evening than in the morning.
      While the researchers offered no explanation, decreased muscle performance late in the day may have a lot to do with brain function.
      Each muscle is made up of millions of individual muscle fibers. Each muscle fiber is instructed to contract by a single nerve fiber
      that receives messages from the brain. Your brain is far more alert after sleeping and napping than after being active for many
      hours. For example, students score higher in exams taken shortly after waking up than later in the day, and telephone operators
      answer more calls in the morning than in the afternoon. Late-day mental performance improves after napping, and the same may be true
      of muscle function.
      * Dear Dr. Mirkin: Does eating before exercise cause cramps?
      If you are going to exercise vigorously for more than an hour, you need to eat before you exercise or your muscles and liver will
      run out of sugar and you will tire earlier. Your brain
      gets more than 98 percent of its energy from sugar in your bloodstream. But there is only enough sugar in your bloodstream to last
      three minutes. So you liver has to constantly release sugar from its cells into your bloodstream. There is only enough sugar in your
      liver to last about an hour when you exercise vigorously. Eating before exercising can help you to exercise longer. If you do not
      eat before you exercise for more than an hour, and during exercise that lasts more than two hours, your liver will probably run out
      of sugar. Your blood sugar level can drop, and you will feel terrible fatigue and tiredness.
      Whenever your stomach fills with food, its muscles contract and require large amounts of blood. When you exercise vigorously, your
      heart pumps large amounts of blood to your
      skeletal muscles. If your heart is not strong enough to pump blood to both your stomach and your skeletal muscles, blood is shunted
      from your stomach muscles, the muscles lack oxygen, lactic acid builds up in muscles and they start to hurt. However, most people
      can exercise after eating without suffering stomach cramps because their hearts are strong enough to pump blood to both their
      exercising muscles and their stomach muscles.
      Another theoretical concern is that eating sugar before you exercise will cause your blood sugar level to rise and your pancreas to
      release insulin, which will cause your blood sugar to drop too low so you will feel tired. However, the major cause of tiredness
      that you feel in your muscles during exercise is lack of stored sugar in muscles. Taking any extra calories before and during
      exercise helps to preserve the sugar that is stored in muscles and help you to exercise longer. If you are going to exercise for
      more than an hour, eat or drink anything you like before and during your exercise. Most people will not get stomach cramps while
      exercising, no matter what or when they eat.
      * Reactive and Rheumatoid Arthritis:
      There are two major types of arthritis: osteoarthritis, also called degenerative arthritis, and reactive arthritis that includes
      rheumatoid arthritis. Osteoarthritis means that cartilage wears away and doctors don't have the foggiest idea why and therefore they
      have no effective treatment. Doctors usually prescribe non-steroidal pills that help to block pain but do not even slow down
      destruction of cartilage. Most serious scientists agree that an infection initiates rheumatoid and other reactive arthritides and
      many think that the germ is still there when symptoms start. Short-term antibiotics are ineffective, but if antibiotics are started
      before the joint is destroyed, they can prevent joint damage.
      You are more likely to suffer reactive arthritis when you have:
      I) positive blood tests for arthritis; all tests used to diagnose arthritis are measures of an overactive immunity;
      II) swelling of the knuckles and middle joints of your fingers, causing them to look like cigars;
      III) a history of a long-standing infection such as a chronic cough, burning on urination or pain when the bladder is full, chronic
      diarrhea and belching and burning in the stomach; and
      IV) pain that starts at an age younger than 50.
      More...from Dr Gabe Mirkin at:

      20. Rethinking the Wall:
      Research Provides a New Definition of Fatigue.
      You're running a marathon. All is well until mile 23, when suddenly you hit the dreaded, metaphorical wall. You start to feel as
      though you’re carrying a lead-stuffed backpack and running in sand. Your pace slows inexorably. The devil on your shoulder tempts
      you insistently to stop. After 10 more minutes of exquisite suffering, you heed him.
      Why did this happen? Based on what you’ve been taught, your first guess will probably be that you didn’t take in enough carbohydrate
      during the race, or that you didn’t do enough long, slow "fat-burning" runs in training. But, new research suggests it’s just as
      likely that you failed to take in enough protein during the race, or that you didn’t do enough plyometrics in training.
      In other words, the wall might not be what you think it is.
      Damage, Not Depletion?
      For most runners, "hitting the wall" means running out of energy, specifically, carbohydrate fuel—either muscle glycogen or blood
      glucose—during the latter portion of a long race or workout. However, recent findings in the field of exercise physiology are
      painting a more complex and nuanced picture. In particular, it now appears that muscle damage may be an equally important cause of
      hitting the wall.
      The scientists currently pursuing this line of research believe that a protective mechanism causes the brain to curtail muscle
      stimulation and produce feelings of discomfort and exhaustion when muscle damage approaches dangerous levels during prolonged
      exercise. That exercise causes muscle damage has been known for more than a century. What’s new is the idea that such damage is
      perhaps as potent a cause of hitting the wall as running out of carbohydrate-derived energy.
      One of the leading proponents of this new understanding of endurance fatigue is Tim Noakes, M.D., an ultramarathon runner and author
      of Lore of Running. "I believe that the intense discomfort you feel near the end of ultramarathon races is not due to muscle
      glycogen depletion but is more likely due to muscle damage and your brain trying to tell you to please stop, as you are going to
      destroy your muscles if you continue," Noakes says frankly.
      New evidence in support of this hypothesis comes from a study performed at the University of Cape Town, South Africa, where Noakes
      works. Researchers there discovered that the brain-signaling molecule interleukin-6 plays a role in telling the brain when muscle
      damage is approaching dangerous levels during exercise. As interleukin-6 levels rise, running performance plummets. Runners injected
      with interleukin-6 before a 10K time trial ran a full minute slower than they did when given a placebo.
      More...from Running Times at:

      21. A DRINK A DAY:
      Alcohol can be good for the heart -- not just occasionally, but often. Still, doctors hesitate to recommend ...
      WHEN it comes to drinking alcohol for medicinal purposes, most Americans get it wrong. Take a sampling of wine samplers at a recent
      tasting in Santa Barbara.
      "I usually drink wine, but not every day," says Mike White, 45. "Then one day a week, I go big — maybe half to three-quarters of a
      bottle." — Wrong.
      "I drink on the weekends only," says Sophie Calvin, 40. — That's not it either.
      "I have a glass of wine when I take a bubble bath," says Mary Whitney, 40. "Every night." — Getting close, but it might be better if
      she also brought an entrée into the tub.
      "I have a glass of wine with dinner each night. I like the taste," says Mark Biddeson, 52. "Or I'll have a beer instead sometimes,
      depending on what I'm eating." — Bingo! He's got it!
      People drink to drown sorrows, celebrate victories, enhance a meal or loosen up with friends — not necessarily to protect their
      hearts. Small wonder.
      The folks who wag warning fingers over the dangers of trans fats, and hail the benefits of leafy greens, are silent on alcohol.
      These public health messengers — who remind us to quit smoking, eat fresh fruits and vegetables and exercise every day — are not
      about to tell people to start drinking.
      Their reluctance comes even amid growing evidence that moderate drinking is beneficial. A study last week in the Archives of
      Internal Medicine showed that light to moderate alcohol consumption in people age 70 to 79 is associated with significantly lower
      rates of cardiac events and longer survival. A week earlier, researchers reported in the July 18 issue of the Journal of the
      American College of Cardiology that moderate alcohol consumption may help ward off development of heart failure.
      More...from the LA Times at:

      23. Fit Facts: Running with baby:
      By Frank Claps , Her Sports + Fitness Magazine
      Baby on board
      Good news for active moms and dads: Striding with a stroller gives you an intense workout without compromising your running form. In
      a Texas A&M study, five men and five women ran for 30 minutes at 75 percent of their race pace both with a stroller, and without.
      The results found that while running with a stroller provided a more intense workout than running stroller-free, there was no
      difference in stri<br/><br/>(Message over 64 KB, truncated)