Runner's and Triathlete's Web - June 2, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2006
      those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out
      our daily news, features,
      polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more. General questions should be posted to one of our forums available from our FrontPage.

      SUPPORT OUR ADVERTISERS:
      All of the revenue from our advertisers and affiliates goes to support clubs, athletes and clinics related to multisport and
      Canadian Olympians.

      1. Scotiabank Bay Street Rat Race for United Way - 5k Run - Toronto, ON June 15, 2006
      Join us for a 5km run through the streets of downtown Toronto. Fantastic entertainment, food and prizes in celebration of United Way
      of Greater Toronto's 50th anniversary
      http://www.unitedwaytoronto.com/volunteer/uw_events_calendar.html#Ratrace

      2. Challenger World.
      Using our unique Intelligent SportT concept, Challenger World has developed the most advanced, fun and diverse corporate team
      building challenges in the world with one aim in mind - to create great teams for your business
      http://www.challengerworld.com/
      What is Intelligent Sport:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news/rw_news_20060518_Challenger_World.html

      3. RunnersWeb5K.com Race for Women
      Women's only racing returns to Ottawa June 24th with a 5K race along the Rockcliffe Parkway from the Aviation Museum.
      More....
      http://www.runnersweb5k.com

      4. Runner's Web Online Store:
      Through a partnership with HDO Sports, the Runner's and Triathlete's Web has opened an online store. Check it out for your shopping
      requirements. The new Garmin 305 is not available with FREE shipping.
      http://store.runnersweb.com

      5. RunnersWebCoach
      Through a partnership with HDO Training, the Runner's And Triathlete's Web now offers Interactive Training.
      http://www.runnerswebcoach.com

      6. Road Runner Sports, the world's largest running store at:
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000009525499

      7. Toronto Waterfront Marathon. September 24, 2006.
      http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/

      9. The Toronto Marathon, October 15, 2006
      http://www.torontomarathon.com

      10. LifeSport by Lance Watson - Professional Coaching
      Lance Watson has been coaching triathlon and distance running since 1987. Over the years, Lance has coached some of the most
      successful athletes in the sport of triathlon and duathlon. A Human Kinetics graduate (sport psychology minor), Lance has had the
      opportunity to work with and be mentored by numerous world-class swim, bike, run and triathlon coaches and liaise with many top
      sport professionals (scientists, psychologists, nutritionists, therapists, etc.)
      Lance has coached at the 2000 Olympics, 2002 Commonwealth Games and 2003 Pan American Games. He has been head coach at several
      national-team events and coached at various Ironman, ITU World Cup and world championship events. As well, he was an award recipient
      as "Triathlon Canada Elite Coach Of The Year" four consecutive years from 2000-2003. He was the 2004 Olympic Team Head Coach
      (Triathlon).
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/LifeSport.html

      ASSOCIATIONS:
      The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional Organization for the Running Industry.

      This newsletter has been composed using Outlook set to "Text" format. The Digest is sent via an email list at
      http://groups.yahoo.com.
      If you experience any delays in receiving your copy of the Digest, please advise us at:
      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for viruses.
      Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor (me) prior to being released to the group. If you have any questions regarding
      the options available for receiving this digest,
      mailto:Webmaster@...
      *NOTE*
      **[ Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two lines. If you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you paste
      the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or another appropriate suffix ].
      Note: An increasing number of media sites require free registration. If you wish to sign up for free access to sources for our
      articles without using your main email address we suggest the use of a mail alias program such as http://www.emailias.com.

      Webmasters:
      What Is RSS?
      RSS (Rich Site Summary) is a feed of headlines that will automatically update and display in an RSS News Reader. RSS feeds are an
      increasingly popular method of distributing simplified web content to users through XML. When you see a little orange XML button,
      you know you can subscribe to RSS feeds.
      How to Get Started
      First you will need to download an RSS Reader. These are usually free to download, just search for "RSS Reader". Some readers will
      be able to pick up the feed just by clicking the link. If not, just ignore the code on the page and copy the link location/URL into
      the feed URL field on your news reader. You should start receiving new feeds immediately. You will receive new stories when our web
      site is updated.
      Get our Syndicated headlines for your site.
      Add the Runner's Web News feed to your site through a simple JavaScript.
      Check out OnTri.com's implementation at:
      http://www.ontri.com/runnersweb.html
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is now available through an RSS feed for myYahoo at:

      If anyone is looking for a web mail provider, you might wish to consider Google's GMail. Currently you can get GMail by invitation
      only from a current user. My stock of "invites" has been replenished. If you are interested in getting FREE GMail account, contact
      me at: mailto:kparker@... .

      Microsoft(r) Alerts on RunnersWeb.com Inc.
      RunnersWeb.com Inc. now offers Microsoft(r) Alerts! This service lets you receive important messages through your MSN(r) Messenger
      or Windows(r) Messenger, your e-mail, or your mobile device. You can choose how and when you receive these messages by specifying
      your preferences during the easy setup process. Sign up at:
      http://www.messagecast.net/alerts/login.do?PINID=2598&returnURL=http://www.runnersweb.com

      Race Directors:
      Advertise your event on the Runner's Web.
      For text ads check out our AdBrite partnership at:
      http://www.adbrite.com/mb/commerce/purchase_form.php?opid=15182&afsid=1

      THIS WEEK:
      Women! You can now win an entry into the RunnersWeb5K.com Race for Women in Ottawa on June 24th through Road Race Results at:
      http://www.roadraceresults.com/road-race-results-free-entry-draw.php.
      One entry will be awarded each Monday up to and including June 19th.

      Get the Runner's Web News Feed via email. Sign up at:
      http://www.squeet.com/?FeedURL=http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RW_RSSNews.xml

      WIN a Trip for 2 to Scotiabank TORONTO WATERFRONT MARATHON
      Flat, fast and festive!
      Exciting, cosmopolitan, international, but right next door! "Experience middle earth and marathon heaven all in one trip to
      Toronto!" Join RW Hero Ed Whitlock, John "The Penguin" Bingham, and 10,000+ runners from 30 countries and 40+ states.
      More...
      http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/en/rwcontest_us.htm

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet Explorer at:
      http://toolbar.google.com/buttons/add?url=http://www.runnersweb.com/running/runnersweb_google.xml
      This button will give you one-click access to the Runner's Web and the down-arrow will list the most recent of our RSS feeds.
      If you do not have Google Toolbar 4 you can get it from Google at:
      http://toolbar.google.com/?promo=mor-tb-en
      To download the Runner's Web Store button click on:
      http://toolbar.google.com/buttons/add?url=http://www.runnersweb.com/running/runnerswebstore_google.xml
      To download the Runner's Web Coach button click on:
      http://toolbar.google.com/buttons/add?url=http://www.runnersweb.com/running/runnerswebcoach_google.xml
      To download the OAC Racing Team button click on:
      http://toolbar.google.com/buttons/add?url=http://www.runnersweb.com/running/oac_google.xml

      We are running a weekly quiz - starting Monday, March 20th - with the weekly winner getting FREE entry into the RunnersWeb5K.com
      Race for Women which will be held in Ottawa on June 24, 2006. Check it out at: http://www.runnersweb5K.com.
      Sub 18:00 5K women runners should contact me for FREE entry into the race.

      mailto:webmaster@... or leave your comments in one of our Forums at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/forum.html or from our FrontPage.

      We have 1,739 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe
      at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RunnersWeb/join .

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey.
      Sheila is one of Ottawa's top multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public
      Health and works in the field of nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the University of California, San Diego. Her
      column index is available at:

      * Carmichael Training Systems
      Carmichael Training Systems was founded in 1999 by Chris Carmichael.
      From the beginning, the mission of the company has been to improve the lives of individuals we work with through the application of
      proper and effective fitness and competitive training techniques. Whether your focus is recreational, advanced, or you are a
      professional racer, the coaching methodology employed by CTS will make you a better athlete. Check the latest monthly column from
      CTS at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/cts_columns.html.

      * Peak Performance Online
      Peak Performance is a subscription-only newsletter for athletes, featuring the latest research from the sports science world. We
      cover the whole range of sports, from running and rowing to cycling and swimming, and each issue is packed full of exclusive
      information for anyone who's serious about sport. It's published 16 times a year, including four special reports, by Electric Word
      plc. Peak Performance is not available in the shops - only our subscribers are able to access the valuable information we publish.

      * Peak Running Performance
      Peak Running Is The Nation's Most Advanced Running Newsletter. Rated as the #1 Running Publication by Road Runner Sports (Worlds
      Largest Running Store) , Peak Running caters to the serious / dedicated runner. Delivering world class running advice are some of
      running's most recognizable athletes including Dr. Joe Vigil (US Olympic Coach),
      Scott Tinley (2 Time Ironman Champ) Steve Scott (3 Time Olympian) and many more. This bi-monthly newsletter has been around for over
      13 years, and in the past two it has been awarded the "Golden Shoe Award" in recognition of it's outstanding achievements.

      * WatsonLifeSport
      Lance Watson is "Just The Winningest Coach in Triathlon". He has been coaching triathlon and distance running since 1987. Over the
      years, Lance has coached some of the most successful athletes in the sport of triathlon and duathlon.
      Check out the Lance Watson Online Article Index at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/LW_index.html

      Running Research News:
      RRN's free, weekly, training update provides subscribers with the most-current, practical, scientifically based information about
      training, sports nutrition, injury prevention, and injury rehabilitation. The purpose of this weekly e-zine is to improve
      subscribers' training quality and to help them train in an injury-free manner.
      Running Research News also publishes a complete, 12-page, electronic newsletter 10 times a year (one-year subscriptions are $35); to
      learn more about Running Research News, please see the Online Article Index and "About Running Research News" sections below or go
      to RRNews.com.
      Check out the article index at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RRN_index.html

      THIS WEEK'S PERSONAL POSTINGS/RELEASES:
      We have ONE personal postings this week.
      ONE:
      From: "Bobby Bostic - Race Director - Pony Express Run" <mailto:ponyexpressrun@...>
      Date: Tue May 30, 2006 11:23pm
      Subject: $1 for 1 step of the Badwater Ultramarathon for the Challenged Athletes' Foundation
      Hey everyone!
      As you all may know, this year I was one of ninety ("lucky") people invited
      to compete in the Kiehl's Badwater Ultramarathon on July 24th. The event is
      a 135-mile run in the heat of Summer from Death Valley to 8,300 feet up the
      side of Mount Whitney. It should be quite the adventure.
      Through my participation in the Badwater Ultramarathon, I am raising money
      for the Challenged Athletes' Foundation; a not-for-profit organization that
      provides funding for adaptive sports equipment and training to people with
      physical disabilities (www.challengedathletes.org)
      My goal is to raise $237,600, which equates out to (roughly) $1 for each
      step I plan on taking over the course of the 135-mile event. If you would
      like to sponsor a single step of my journey for the princely sum of $1.00,
      please visit my event website (www.ponyexpressrun.com). Everyone who
      donates will be entered in a drawing for hundreds of items donated by my
      sponsors.
      In the three weeks since announcing my $1.00/One Step Challenge, over
      $20,000 has flowed in for the CAF.
      Any help you can give is greatly appreciated!
      Thanks everyone,
      Bobby
      www.ponyexpressrun.com
      mailto:bobby@...

      THIS WEEK'S DIGEST ARTICLE INDEX:

      1. Triathlon: Holistic Training
      By Rich Strauss
      2. First-Time Marathon Runners: ACSM Study Compares Dropouts, Race Finishers; Motivation Factors Predicted Completion of Race
      3. Nutrition: Eating our Way In and Out of Symptoms
      4. Joe Henderson's Running Commentary - Moving Pictures
      5. Catch Me If You Can:
      Unleash your potential. Learn how a weekly track workout can boost your speed, improve performance and energize your routine.
      6. Racing in the Heat By Coach Mike Ricci
      7. Get Course Specific
      8. Maximizing Peak Performance Through Healthexcel's System Of Metabolic Typing
      9. From Runner's World
      10. From Running Times
      11. Easy ways to boost your speed
      12. Dr.Gabe Mirkin's E-Zine
      13. Mind Over Matter
      14. Science of Sport: Biomechanical Assessment
      15. The Fundamentals of Fuel
      16. Calorie Restriction and Aging
      17. Heart attack risk with pain drugs
      People taking high daily doses of two common painkillers are at increased risk of heart attack and stroke, say Oxford researchers.
      18. Drug Test:
      Everybody knows that many athletes cheat by using performance-enhancing drugs like steroids, testosterone, and EPO. But what is it
      like to take these banned substances? Do they really help you win? To find out, we sent an amateur cyclist into the back rooms of
      sports medicine, where he just said yes to the most controversial chemicals in sports.
      19. Get Off The Beaten Path
      Branch out from your typical 10K for inspiration. Check out some of the fastest growing - and most unusual - events out there. Mud
      racing anyone?
      20. Finding Your Core
      21. Exercise reverses unhealthy effects of inactivity
      22. Hazards of running a marathon
      Creatine Kinase MB can be raised without myocardial infarction.
      23. Athletes take note: Not all energy bars built the same
      24. Eat Like a Kenyan
      Will a Kenyan Diet Help You Run Faster?

      "Should there be temperature restrictions for long distance events such as the marathon and Ironman triathlon?"

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage ( http://www.runnersweb.com) as well as checking the results of previous polls.
      Post your views in our Forum at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/runnersweb_forum.html
      [Free Registration Required]

      LAST WEEK'S POLL RESULTS:
      "Should charities get guaranteed entries into marathons which have an entry limit?"
      Answers Percent
      1. Yes 13%
      2. No 81%
      3. No opinion, don't care 6%

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE WEEK: Mary Onyali - Official Website.
      Mary Onyali-Omagbemi has truly made a name for herself in the track and field world, establishing several prestigious marks on the
      way. Popularly called the Queen of Nigerian sprints, Mary continues to hold the Nigerian 200 meters record, and is still ranked in
      the top 10 of the collegiate all time list in both the 100 and 200 meters.
      Check out her site at:
      http://www.maryonyali.com

      BOOK OF THE WEEK: "STRETCH TO WIN"
      About the Product
      Leave the old static stretches, muscle tightness, and movement restrictions behind. Stretch to Win presents a complete flexibility
      training system-a proven winner for today's athlete. This is the new way to both loosen up and perform your best.
      Learn the dynamic exercise techniques that most closely represent the movements and loads that will be required of your body on the
      court, field, course, track, or mat or in the water. After you complete a simple self-evaluation, a special science-based stretching
      matrix enables you to tailor a program specifically for your body, your sport, your position, or your event.
      Authors Ann and Chris Frederick have trained many elite and aspiring athletes to achieve optimal muscle and joint function. Now you
      can stretch to win and enjoy the same results champions in all sports have achieved through this modern, customized flexibility
      training program.
      About the Author
      Ann Frederick is the director of flexibility training for the Stretch to Win Clinic, where she has worked with many elite athletes,
      including Philadelphia Eagles star quarterback Donovan McNabb and numerous Olympians and members of the NFL, MLB, and NHL. Ann was
      the first flexibility specialist ever to work at the Olympics, consulting with the 1996 U.S. wrestling team and both the 2000 and
      2004 U.S. track teams.
      For more than 35 years, Ann has studied, performed, and taught movement through multiple dance disciplines. In 1997, upon completion
      of her studies, Frederick defended her master's thesis and established that her stretching technique outperformed conventional
      methods with lasting flexibility gains of 36 to 52 percent. She continually refined and improved these techniques, which ultimately
      developed into the Stretch To Win system of flexibility training and stretching. Today, professional athletes and Olympians from all
      over the world use this system to achieve higher levels of performance.
      Ann is a member of the International Association of Structural Integrators and is part of the associate faculty at Arizona State
      University.
      Chris Frederick is the director of sports and orthopedic rehabilitation at the Stretch to Win Clinic. After an injury sidelined his
      professional dance career, Chris went on to receive his degree in manual orthopedic physical therapy from Hunter College, City
      University of New York. To get a well-rounded background in many disciplines, Chris trained privately with several master physical
      therapists, rolfers, chiropractors, osteopaths, two chi kung and tai chi masters, and an Olympic strength coach.
      As a result of his education and training, Chris lends a nontraditional, complementary approach to flexibility training, physical
      therapy, sport rehabilitation, and fitness. Using the Stretch To Win system of flexibility training and stretching, he has designed
      many effective injury-prevention programs for both professional and collegiate athletes and sport teams as well as professional
      dancers and dance companies. Chris is a member of the American Physical Therapy Association, the International Association of
      Structural Integrators, and the International Association of Dance, Medicine and Science.
      The Fredericks are also renowned international speakers and codirectors of the International Institute of Flexibility Sciences
      located in Tempe, Arizona. There, they train and certify professionals to become flexibility specialists who may use the Stretch To
      Win system to enhance their current careers. The Fredericks are dedicated to advancing the emerging field of flexibility sciences by
      promoting and engaging in research on connective tissue and related topics.
      The Fredericks reside in Tempe, Arizona.
      Table of Contents
      Chapter 1. Ten Principles for Stretching Success
      Chapter 2. Anatomy of Athletic Flexibility
      Chapter 3. Flexibility for Sport Performance
      Chapter 4. Personal Flexibility Assessment
      Chapter 5. Your Customized Program
      Chapter 6. Matrix Stretching Techniques
      Chapter 7. Sport-Specific Stretches
      Chapter 8. Assisted Stretching Routines
      Words of Praise
      "Flexibility is a key to an athlete's success. The advice, exercises, and programs in Stretch to Win will enable your body and mind
      to be balanced and connected so you can perform your best."
      Donovan McNabb
      Quarterback, Philadelphia Eagles
      Five-time Pro Bowl selection
      "Stretch to Win has been a tremendous asset to me. I always had trouble with my hamstrings, but after working with Chris and Ann I
      was able to compete without pain. I use the routines every day, and they help me stay injury free."
      Sanya Richards
      2004 Olympic 4x400-meter gold medalist
      2005 world outdoor 400-meter silver medalist and U.S. outdoor champion
      "The artistry and rhythm of the Fredericks' approach to stretching are supported by the science of flexibility. The debate may
      continue over the efficacy of stretching, but in the real world of athletics, the Fredericks' method answers the challenge and meets
      the need of certified athletic trainers and certified massage therapists."
      Benny Vaughn, LMT, ATC, CSCS, NCTMB
      Athletic Therapy Center
      Fort Worth, Texas
      "Making the Stretch To Win System an essential part of my off and in-season training has maximized my athletic performance and has
      eliminated major injuries so that I'm able to play my best at each and every game."
      Na'il Diggs
      Green Bay Packers
      For more information and to buy the book go to Human Kinetics at:
      http://www.humankinetics.com/products/showproduct.cfm?associate=880&isbn=0736055290

      THIS WEEK'S NEWS:

      1. Triathlon: Holistic Training
      By Rich Strauss
      The most dangerous times of day for me, from a thinking perspective, are walking the dog, showering, and driving. Well today Sonny
      walked me for an hour and I took a 25 min shower (shaving day), so I am about to unleash the product of some thinkin'. Stand by for
      heavy rolls as the ship comes about.
      Yesterday I asked my athletes to complete an end of season assessment of their training and our time together. I did the same
      exercise this morning. One thing led to another and here I am. I'm even out of the house. I am in this thing called a "coffee shop,"
      surrounded by these things called "other people." Lots of changes in the off-season.
      Since Wisconsin my thoughts have naturally turned to "what can I do better next time," and specifically what I need to work on
      during the off-season. My talents, training, and implementation are very similar to most top age groupers. "Training," and
      everything that goes in that word, has been my focus. And like most athletes I have difficulty applying consistent attention to the
      "small details." These small details are nutrition, flexibility, strength training, core strength, and mental skills (race-day
      decision and execution skills).
      So I'm walking Sonny and I'm thinking that my off-season is a perfect time to work on my weaknesses and hopefully develop good
      habits that will carry themselves into my regular season. Then I thought, wouldn't it be more efficient to learn to apply myself to
      these details consistently, year round?
      More...from the Runner's Web at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news/rw_news_20060530_RS_Holistic.html

      2. First-Time Marathon Runners: ACSM Study Compares Dropouts, Race Finishers; Motivation Factors Predicted Completion of Race:
      First-time marathon runners who drop out of training are motivated by different factors than race finishers, according to a study
      presented today at the 53rd Annual Meeting of the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) in Denver, Colo. Dropouts were more
      motivated by a desire to lose weight and gain recognition than those who successfully completed their first marathon.
      Specifically, first-time marathon finishers were less concerned with their weight and recognition than those who eventually dropped
      out of training. The motivations of dropouts were compared to those of race finishers to see which group's motivation factors were
      linked with exercise adherence.
      Prior research on marathon runners has revealed participation motivations vary among individuals. The research team used the
      Motivations of Marathoners Scales (MOMS), an instrument designed to measure the motives of these endurance athletes. Its categories
      include health orientation; weight concern; personal goal achievement; competition; recognition; affiliation; psychological coping;
      life meaning, and self-esteem. Their results suggest weight concern and recognition are predictors of attrition within six months of
      beginning an exercise program.
      The study focused solely on first-time marathon runners and is the first to analyze the motivations of dropouts. Other studies have
      compared the motives of groups with varying levels of marathon experience, noting experienced marathon runners are more likely to
      have undergone motivational changes since their initial race
      More...from the Runner's Web at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news/rw_news_20060602_ACSM_Study.html

      3. Nutrition: Eating our Way In and Out of Symptoms:
      By Colleen Huber at Naturopathyworks.com.
      Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food. - Hippocrates
      We truly live at a strange crossroads in human history.
      Over the last few decades, the human species has been hypnotized by the temptations offered by the chemical and pharmaceutical
      industries. The 1950s ushered in the "better living through chemicals" age. And we believed, and we bought and swallowed and
      injected and are still consuming them in massive amounts, and, most recklessly, injecting such chemicals as ethyl mercury, ethylene
      glycol (antifreeze), aluminum and formaldehyde into our babies as part of vaccines, without any prior safety testing.
      But now with massive chronic disease plaguing our most industrialized populations, autism closely following children's shots, and
      more pathology coincident with concentrated chemicals, we are beginning to wake up from our long post-World War II slumber. Now
      begins the next era when synthetic chemicals are starting to be seen as, however useful in many applications, best kept at a
      distance from our bodies, homes, public spaces and wilderness.
      The old era of unthinking reliance on a synthetic existence is showing severe disadvantages, just as the urgency to forge new
      relationships with nature is becoming apparent. Plants and other whole foods are coming into their own new era as naturopathic
      physicians and other well-informed health practitioners rely on them for their central role in healing.
      Big Surprise
      Within our lifetimes, whole food will eclipse pharmaceuticals in medical practice, as the general public awakens to its far superior
      healing capacity. But the allopathic profession will be the slowest to catch on, just as most physicians of the early 20th century
      refused to believe that absence of certain nutrients could bring on such horrible diseases as scurvy, pellagra and beriberi.
      Then as now, allopaths were eager to lay blame for these diseases on microbes, until--surprise, surprise--limes cured the "limey"
      British sailors of their scurvy, and we saw that Vitamin B3 prevented pellagra, while Vitamin B1 prevented beriberi and Vitamin D
      prevented rickets.
      As usual, allopathy corrects itself long after the natural physicians are already healing patients. In fact, evidence now shows that
      even bubonic plague, which allopathy still attributes to bacteria known as Yersinia pestis, was more likely to strike those with low
      Vitamin C intakes.
      More... from the Runner's Web at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news/rw_news_20060530_DT_Eating.html

      4. Joe Henderson's Running Commentary - Moving Pictures:
      I blame the oversight on being a word guy. I've never had anything to do with the illustrations and layout of my work, only with the
      words, so my thoughts on the visual are few.
      Rich Benyo is more versatile. My partner on the Running Encyclopedia book, being written in 2000, noticed that the master list I'd
      compiled had reached thousands of entries but never once mentioned running movies.
      Now they're in the book, and the list of those that fit within our limits -- including racing scenes from road events, 5K to
      marathon -- is short. Outside these boundaries lie those with running titles ("The Running Man," an Arnold Schwarzenegger thriller,
      and "Marathon Man," a look at sadistic dentistry) but which are about this sport in name only.
      Also missing from the book are the "Without Limits" and "Prefontaine," since Pre was never a road racer. "Personal Best" is a track
      film with marathoner Kenny Moore playing another brand of athlete, a swimmer. The 1960s classic "Loneliness of the Long Distance
      Runner" is only marginally about running, and not very long at that.
      In the maybe category fall "On the Edge," whose Dipsea-like race runs partly on the roads and whose cast includes several road
      racers. "Running Brave" has no footage of Billy Mills's anticlimactic Olympic Marathon, which he ran after winning the 10,000.
      The fictional movies with road racing at their heart are mostly forgettable. Joanne Woodward in "See How She Runs," Michael Douglas
      in "Running," Ryan O'Neal in "The Games" -- come across as actors trying and failing to look like runners. They lack The Look.
      The videos I like best are the real ones. I much prefer the Steve Prefontaine documentary that Kenny Moore co-authored, "Fire on the
      Track," to either of the theatrical productions.
      "Endurance" is a true story, with Haile Gebrselassie playing himself. In an unintentionally comical scene he pretends to be a novice
      marathoner and almost trips over his feet at six-minute-mile pace.
      Best of the lot are the various Olympic films, because real runners run real races. Setting a high early standard was director Leni
      Reifenstahl with her "Olympia," an almost-four-hour look at the 1936 Games.
      Bud Greenspan directed the 1984 Olympic summary, "Sixteen Days of Glory." The Munich Games report, "Visions of Eight" (the combined
      effort of eight directors), carries memorable footage of Frank Shorter's marathon victory.
      Nothing I've ever watched on screen was as memorable as the marathon in "Tokyo Olympiad" by Kon Ichikawa. The late-race, slow-motion
      closeups of an apparently tireless Abebe Bikila give a look into the face of this sport's African future.
      UPDATE. Since this writing, runners-on-film (or videotape, or DVD) have found their best friend ever in Mark Hale-Brown. He manages
      the website http://www.runningmovies.com, which describes more than 650 titles. A must-see is the recent Canadian production, "St.
      Ralph," about a 14-year-old marathoner. Sadly, the Running Encyclopedia that I co-wrote with Rich Benyo passed out of print this
      spring.
      From Joe Henderson at:
      http://www.joehenderson.com/archive/

      5. Catch Me If You Can:
      Unleash your potential. Learn how a weekly track workout can boost your speed, improve performance and energize your routine.
      Ever notice how much kids love to sprint?
      Reaching top speed is incredibly invigorating. But if you're like most runners, chances are you haven't in a while. A weekly track
      workout can change that, and help energize your routine. Whether you're a dedicated marathoner, trail runner or just a casual
      jogger, integrating a track workout into your schedule can unlock your potential, increase your speed, and bring back that natural
      urge to sprint.
      Running Alone Won't Improve Your Speed
      One common misconception among runners is that simply running more will improve one's speed. But the fact is, after initial
      conditioning, this is not likely to happen.
      Another common misconception is that developing endurance is only possible through long slow workouts. In fact, sprint training,
      when implemented correctly, helps build endurance too. So you don't have to think of your once-a-week track workout as sacrificing
      endurance training.
      More...from Nike.com at:
      http://www.nike.com/nikerunning/usa/home.jhtml?loc1=tools_training&loc2=runners_library&loc3=128&promoID=USRU_EM_052006_maynewsmen#r
      unners_library
      [Multi-line URL]

      6. Racing in the Heat:
      By Coach Mike Ricci at www.d3multisport.com
      Dealing when the temperatures rise
      Across North America, racing in July, August and early September can be challenging due to the temperature. Racing during these
      months usually means you are performing in hot and humid conditions. If you train in this type of environment, that is optimal for
      conditioning your system to the stress. For those of us coming from a milder climate there are a few things we can do to prepare to
      race our best to race well.
      The most important thing you can do is learn your sweat rate. Before you run, weigh yourself without any clothes. Then go run for
      one hour, take in whatever water you need, and then come back and re-weigh yourself again. Your difference in weight, plus the
      addition of the water or fluid you drank will give you how many pounds you lost during your run. Divide that number by your starting
      weight and you will know your fluid loss per hour. If you start a log, figuring out percentage lost at what temperature you could
      really help yourself plenty. By doing this test regularly you in different temps, you will start to see how your body reacts to
      different temps. Knowing that on a hot day you lose 2% of your body weight would be a big advantage over others who don't keep
      track. You will know you need to take in 'x' ounces of water, which will eliminate your chance of dehydration. Of course don't drink
      too much as that can cause hyponatremia - and that can be deadly.
      Another idea is to hit the sauna - after your swim practice or weights is good time. Just get in there two-three times per week and
      get used to the heat. I know athletes that ride their trainers in the sauna but I don't think that is necessary. One more option is
      to train indoors, with a long sleeve shirt on, no fan and with the doors/windows closed. If you want to take it to the next level,
      throw some wet clothes in the dryer and viola you have humidity too. Training with the long sleeves is something I have done with
      success for a number of years.
      Lastly, in order to prepare yourself to race in a hot and humid environment, make sure you are properly hydrated and even add a
      little salt to your meals to help you retain more water. You can train with salt tablets or electrolyte pills too - these have been
      used successfully for years by many athletes in longer hotter races. Whatever you do, try it in training before you try it in a
      race.
      Just like preparing for a hilly course, we train in the hills. So, to race well in a hot environment, we need to simulate those same
      conditions. Don't get caught unprepared. Use the tips listed here to help you overcome the more extreme conditions you may be faced
      with racing in this season.
      Michael Ricci is a USAT certified coach. He can be reached for personal coaching at mailto:mike@...

      7. Get Course Specific:
      In order to train specifically for an event you must consider your race course. Although this is logical, athletes will often stick
      to their usual training routes out of habit and convenience. This may leave their preparation lacking on race day.
      A hilly race requires intervals of strength and power, a flat course requires sustained strength endurance, and a rolling course may
      be a combination of the two. As you approach your goal race it is important to train as you will race. During your base period "time
      in zone" aerobic development is the focus and course specificity is not as important. But the athlete that addresses course
      specifics in their training will have a leg up on the competition.
      I advise my athletes to have a "tool box" of courses. This means a flat course for sustained strength endurance work or tight zone
      work outs, a rolling course for repeatability, a long hill for sustained repeats, and a track for speed work, and an open water swim
      course. It is important to match the training course to the work out in order to gain maximum benefit from it. We will use these
      various courses throughout the year depending on the work out, but during the peaking phase we will match the training course to the
      race course.
      I work with athletes that live in many areas of the country. Some have to drive miles to find a small hill and some have to do the
      same to find a flat section. This requires some adaptability and may mean spending time on a treadmill or trainer in order to be
      able to "dial in" training load. Another way we address these limitations is to schedule course specific work on the week ends when
      travel time is less of an issue. This is usually the case for open water swims, especially ocean swims.
      Make sure you do some recon of your race course. Many races now have elevation maps which are very helpful. It is good to get
      feedback from other athletes as well but beware this can be unreliable. Remember one person's mountain is another person's hill.
      Riding the course is always a good idea. If you have a GPS meter you can record the grade, elevation change, and length of the
      course. Get some perspective on what a 7 percent vs. a 10 percent grade feels like, and what gearing you use to climb it on the
      bike. There are simple devices that mount on the handlebar to estimate grade as well.
      If you find your race course has one long climb of 5 miles and 8-12% grade then it is time to start looking for a similar place to
      train. You can break the course of into segments and train the harder sections individually. In other words you can practice
      climbing this hill on the trainer with an elevated front wheel for the approximate time and resistance you will need on race day.
      The first rule of training is specificity and the last thing you want to be is surprised on race day.
      Matt Russ has coached and trained elite athletes from around the country and internationally for over ten years. He currently holds
      expert licenses from USA Triathlon, USA Cycling, and is a licensed USA Track and Field Coach. Matt is head coach and owner of The
      Sport Factory, and works with athletes of all levels full time. He is a free lance author and his articles are regularly featured in
      a variety of magazines such as Inside Triathlon, and Triathlete. Visit www.thesportfactory.com for more information or email him at
      mailto:coachmatt@...

      8. Maximizing Peak Performance Through Healthexcel's System Of Metabolic Typing:
      There are three major components in the consideration of excellence in athletics: talent, training and potential. Of the three,
      potential is the foremost, for on the foundation of potential will depend the capacities for and qualities of expression of the
      other two categories: talent and training.
      Talent can be God-given. It can also be learned, a skill honed by time and experience. It can remain in a raw, undeveloped state, or
      it can be matured to maximum perfection. But, without availability of potential, talent is restricted -- like a sailor on a boat
      without a sail, or a saxophone player without wind.
      Training and conditioning are certainly vital to the development of peak performance. No one can dispute that. But, without the
      availability of full potential, the fruits of training and conditioning are wasted. Of what benefit are training and conditioning to
      a long distance runner who develops the flu the day before the race?
      TAPPING FULL POTENTIAL
      So, just what is meant by potential? Potential refers to genetic capacity, design limit, inherited abilities: physical, mental,
      emotional and spiritual. Everyone has a different design limit; some are like a race car, others are like a Mack truck. Some are
      gifted with speed, others with strength and endurance. Some are creative and intuitive, while others are more logical, rational
      thinkers, etc. But, whatever the unique combination of genetically inherited capacities one may possess in one's potential, the
      ability to manifest, express and utilize one's full potential is highly dependent upon the presence of one essential, imperative
      ingredient: ENERGY.
      If one does not have the energy needed to express his full potential, whatever talent is possessed will be limited; whatever
      training and conditioning has been accomplished will be wasted. Whatever aspect of life is considered, energy will be found to be
      the basic consideration for the quality of that aspect of life.
      What else is emotion if not energy? The ability to feel and to have emotion, whether it be love or hate; anger or laughter; is
      dependent upon the availability of energy. Fatigue or the absence of energy can reduce the tidal wave of emotion to a mere ripple.
      Aggression, competitiveness, drive, motivation, high emotion and the sustained will to win are all dependent upon the body's energy
      production and its sustained availability.
      What else is thought if not energy? When one is "too tired to think," the ability to think clearly and quickly is diminished. Mental
      reaction time slows; mental lapses and "space-outs" occur. Quick reaction time, intelligence, concentration, the ability to focus
      and yet see the big picture at the same time, awareness itself, all are dependent upon energy availability.
      And naturally, all physical activity is dependent as well upon sufficient energy production by the body. The activity of the senses
      (sight, touch, hearing); speed; agility; coordination; strength; endurance; quickness; all the bodily processes (cellular, organ,
      glandular, etc.) -- each depends upon energy availability.
      If ever there can be said to be a bottom line ingredient necessary for the manifestation of peak performance in athletics, it would
      have to be energy. The ability to manifest one's genetic potential, to reap the rewards of training and conditioning, and to express
      the fullness of one's talent, all require peak and sustained production of energy by the body -- the realization of optimum health.
      More...from Health Excel at:
      http://www.healthexcel.com/docs/_sport1.html

      9. From Runner's World:
      * Coach's Corner
      "To avoid mental roadblocks write out a script of positive thoughts like "it's a fabulous day. I know I can go faster." Writing down
      your positive thoughts and reviewing them is like studying for a test. Work at it, and you might get an "A" on race day." -New York
      sports psychologist Mary Ellen Duane, Ph.D.
      * Injury Prevention
      Cutting a hole in your insole can reduce pressure on a tender callus, neuroma, or heel spur, making running more comfortable. Try
      this: Using lipstick, mark the spot on the bottom of your foot where you feel pain when you run. Take the insole out of your shoe.
      Step on it with your marked foot, transferring the lipstick to the insole. Place a quarter over the mark. Trace the coin, and then
      cut out the hole. Return the insole to your shoe.
      * Performance Nutrition
      Peanut butter is super-high in vitamin E, the most potent antioxidant vitamin in foods. For prerace energy, spread 2 tablespoons of
      peanut butter on half a bagel, and eat it 2 hours before race time. The good fats (monounsaturated) in peanut butter will "stick to
      your ribs" and help you feel full. Plus, you'll be energized with slow-release carbohydrates.
      * Editor's Advice
      "If you suffer from chafing during a long run or race, you need to reduce friction. So, before you head out apply a lubricating
      product to all chafe-prone areas and avoid cotton clothing since it increases friction by staying wet longer."
      -Kory Kennedy, RW art director
      * Training Talk
      "Frustration is the first step toward improvement. I have no incentive to improve if I'm content with what I can do and if I'm
      completely satisfied with my pace, distance, and form as a runner. It's only when I face frustration and use it to fuel my
      dedication that I feel myself moving forward."
      -From No Need for Speed by John Bingham

      10. From Running Times:
      *Training Tip of the Month - Hills and Knee Drills Can Get You Ready for the Summer Racing Season
      Given the heat and humidity in most states this time of year, many summer races are shorter, and thus faster. Many adult runners
      focus their training on spring and fall marathons, and feel that they just don't have speed, so are content to run these races at
      less than their best. Their aerobic strength could benefit them in shorter events, however, if they had more power in their stride.
      Two simple elements to add to your program to improve your pure speed are short hills and high knee drills. Short hills are used by
      top coaches like Brad Hudson to improve pure, explosive power without taxing other body systems. Simply find a steep hill that takes
      about 10-12 seconds to ascend at top speed. A short run of stadium steps or similar will work as well. Start with 1-2 full-speed
      ascends with easy, full recovery on the way down and work up to 10-12 repeats a couple times a week. High knees are simply running
      in place with quick turn-over, bringing your thigh up to parallel with the ground with each step. Do 1 set of 30 seconds to start
      and work up to 3 sets a couple times per week. You'll soon find your stride lighter and more explosive on all your runs, and
      particularly when you want to kick it in during your next 5K.
      Details of Brad Hudson's training for short hills is available on Running Times Online at Everything Matters: Brad Hudson's
      Targeted Training at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/rt/articles/?id=5765
      Details of high knee drills are available on Running Times Online at Spring Training: Training Distance Running Speed at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/rt/articles/?id=5181
      --Jonathan Beverly, Editor in Chief
      * Medical Corner - Piriformis Syndrome
      Q: I have self diagnosed piriformis problems in my lowback/butt muscles/hamstring. I have had deep tissue massage, back x-rays, and
      some bad Physical Therapy. What can I do to rid myself of this painful condition? My PCP says my Right ITB is tight but it's my left
      side that hurts worse than my right. I've taken a month off and when I start back up...it's still there. It has already changed my
      range of motion and stride from a heel striker to a mid foot striker. If anything I under-pronate.
      A: Piriformis syndrome is due to inflammation of one of the gluteal muscles. The inflammation may be due to a direct blow, a sudden
      twist of the hip or overuse. There will be pain in one buttock that may be aggravated by sitting or certain activities. It may cause
      sciatica, with pain and tingling or numbness radiating into the leg. Not all pain in the buttocks is due to piriformis syndrome, so
      it is important to be evaluated by a sports medicine professional to rule out other causes and to assess your alignment. Various
      combinations of flexibility and strength deficits in the trunk and pelvis contribute to the development of this problem and must be
      corrected; a good course of physical therapy would be extremely beneficial (find a therapist who is a runner). Your tight IT band on
      the right side may be due to weak gluteal muscles, which in turn places excess stress on the left. Stretching your gluteal muscles
      will involve various degrees of hip rotation and pulling one knee towards the opposite shoulder. Hamstring, hip flexor, hip adductor
      and IT band stretches are also important. Make sure that your trunk (core) and hip muscles are strong. You should work with a
      physical therapist or knowledgeable personal trainer to develop a good program.
      You need to take more time off from running because your gait has changed significantly. The last thing that you need is a stress
      fracture or other injury in addition to the Piriformis Syndrome.
      For more on stretching exercises for piriformis problems, check out A Pain in the Butt: Prevention and Treatment of Piriformis
      Syndrome on the Running Times website at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/rt/articles/?id=4220
      --Dr. Cathy Fieseler

      11. Easy ways to boost your speed:
      Everyone wants to run a little bit faster. Sure you do. But to run faster, you must run faster in training. There's no way around
      it. Fortunately, training to run faster doesn't have to be painful or even complicated.
      Here are some workouts that you can use that will easily and safely boost your speed. Best of all, they are fun and can be performed
      anywhere, anytime. They do not have to be done on a track.
      Greg's Three-Speed System
      While many runners-particularly, beginners--feel they don't even have one fast running speed, I believe you have three. And in this
      program, you develop all three in a precise order to safely maximize your speed.
      1) Basic Speed Training
      The first speed is basic speed - short and fast stuff. Training for basic speed coordinates your brain with your muscles. Think of
      it like learning to type. At first, the fingers don't always go where you want them to go but with practice, you become more
      coordinated and the fingers seem to dance on the keys.
      The same can happen with your running. At first, basic speed workouts feel awkward but over time, your brain and your body will get
      on the same page. Your running form will improve, you develop better rhythm and fluidity in your stride and it becomes easier to run
      at near top speed.
      Basic speed training also helps reduce injuries. One note, basic speed training doesn't "feel" like normal speed training. You
      shouldn't get out of breath in these workouts. Your legs shouldn't feel heavy either like most speedwork. That's because the
      neuromuscular system is challenged more than the metabolic system, which sends different signals to your body. Its normal to feel
      like these workouts don't challenge you enough. But, you will be getting a speed boost. Trust me.
      My favorite basic speed workout is the stride drill. Strides are not all-out sprints, but simply accelerations that are faster than
      your 5-K race pace and get increasingly fast.
      More...from Devine Sports at:
      http://www.devinesports.com/Article.7+M5acdbe0dab1.0.html?&cHash=036e1f7ee4

      12. Dr.Gabe Mirkin's E-Zine:
      * Hyponatremia - too much water
      By Gabe Mirkin, M.D.
      For the last 40 years, sports medicine experts have told athletes in endurance events that they should take fluids frequently during
      events lasting more than one hour. However, three years ago, a 28-year-old woman collapsed and died after finishing the Boston
      Marathon. Her blood salt levels were extremely low and she died from a condition called hyponatremia. A few weeks ago, a policeman
      training for bicycle duty died of the same condition. On July 26, 2005, sports medicine experts issued a warning to all athletes
      from the First International Exercise-Associated Hyponatremia Consensus Development Conference.
      I have never seen this syndrome in well-conditioned athletes. It has been reported almost exclusively in very thin, less-fit, slower
      and novice athletes, and is far more common in women. This condition is caused by drinking too much fluid and is not caused by
      excessive loss of salt in sweat or by exercising. When people with psychiatric problems force themselves to drink huge amounts of
      water while sitting still, they also can die of hyponatremia, only in this case, it is called water intoxication.
      The extra fluid expands blood volume and dilutes blood salt levels. This causes blood salt levels to be very low, while brain salt
      levels remain normal. Fluid moves from an area of low salt concentration into areas with high salt levels. So fluid moves from the
      bloodstream into the brain, causing brain swelling. Since the brain is enclosed in the skull, which is a tight box, the brain
      expands and has nowhere to go, so it is squashed to cause headache, nausea, and blurred vision. Since these are the same symptoms
      caused by pure dehydration with normal blood salt levels, the only way to diagnose the condition is with blood tests. As blood salt
      levels drop even lower, the person becomes confused, develops seizures and falls unconscious. You should suspect hyponatremia when
      the event takes more than four hours, the athlete is a thin woman in her first ultra-long endurance event, and when she has been
      drinking heavily as she exercises. All people who are confused, pass out or have seizures should be sent to a hospital immediately.
      The condition requires skilled management because the first impulse of an inexperienced physician is to give intravenous fluids,
      which dilute blood salt levels further and swell the brain and can kill the patient.
      How much fluid should you drink? You will not become thirsty during exercise until you have lost between two and four pints of
      fluid, so you can't wait for thirst to encourage you to drink. Dehydration makes you tired and it is unlikely that you can replace
      the lost fluid during a race after you have become thirsty. Blood has a much higher concentration of salt than sweat, so when you
      sweat, you lose far more water than salt. This causes blood salt levels to rise. Thirst is controlled by certain cells in your brain
      called osmoreceptors which are stimulated to make you thirsty only after blood salt levels have risen considerably. So you will not
      become thirsty until you are significantly dehydrated.
      The American College of Sports Medicine recommends a limit of 1200cc (5 cups, 2.5 pints, a little over 1 quart, or 2 average size
      water bottles) per hour, but for a person who is not exercising near his or her maximum, this could be too much. A person exercising
      near his capacity and not slowed down by fatigue probably does not have to worry about limiting fluid intake. He is working so hard
      at maintaining intensity, he doesn't have enough time to drink too much. On the other hand, people slowed down by fatigue or those
      out of shape, should limit fluid intake, probably to less than two large water bottles per hour. If you are exercising for more than
      an hour, you should also replace salt, either with salted sports drinks or salted foods.
      From Dr. Gabe Mirkin at:
      http://www.drmirkin.com/

      13. Mind Over Matter:
      There is no question that it takes more than skill and conditioning to be successful as an athlete, but sports scientists, coaches,
      and even athletes have struggled to define the precise extra component that separates champions from pack fodder. The clearest
      answer seems to lie with the mind's power to either enhance or hinder your ability to perform at your best.
      The Mind's Impact on Performance
      Sports scientists tend to focus on performance tests that minimize the variables between test subjects; in other words, they like
      the lab-based lactate threshold or VO2 tests because they can control the temperature, equipment calibration, etc. Yet, there are
      abundant examples of athletes who test poorly in the lab and then go out and uncork phenomenal performances in competition.
      Conversely, there are athletes who test wonderfully and then fail to perform anywhere near their potential in competitions.
      The lack of a good, scientifically-proven, physiological reason for the discrepancies between test results and actual performance
      leads to the conclusion that successful athletes possess mental and behavioral attributes that enhance their ability to capitalize
      on their physical potential. Athletes who have the engine and skills to be successful may not be able to reach their potential if
      these mental and behavioral attributes are absent or underdeveloped.
      With the use of power meters, we can even see these discrepancies between individual workouts in training. One of the most common
      situations is a drop in wattage when a workout is moved from outdoors to indoors. Even after taking into account variables like tire
      pressure and the pressure of the flywheel on the tire, athletes consistently report difficulty reaching and sustaining the same
      power output indoors that they can achieve outdoors. And when they can reach the desired power output, their perceived exertion and
      heart rate are both considerably higher than during the outdoor workout. For instance, when an athlete is asked to perform 15-minute
      lactate threshold intervals outdoors, he may be able to hold 285 watts, but only be able to sustain 270 for the same workout on the
      indoor trainer.
      More...from RoadCycling.com at:
      http://www.roadcycling.com/news/article1611.shtml

      14. Science of Sport: Biomechanical Assessment:
      Running with an injury or over-training? Often it is best to go back to basics
      Injuries can affect us all regardless of age, sex or ability. But can we manage or limit the number of times we get injured? We can
      by going back to basics.
      But we are not talking about fitness levels and stretching. Instead we mean back to biomechanics.
      By assessing, on a regular basis, your biomechanics you can help eliminate and prevent a number of injuries and problems that
      athletes suffer from. The body compensating for weak links can cause restriction that in turn can cause pain and injury.
      Calf and hamstring injuries are commonly caused by a tight sciatic nerve. The muscles provide a protective spasm to the nerve during
      locomotion and if stretched or loaded sufficiently the muscles can spasm enough to cause themselves to tear - or cramp up - which
      can feel like a tear. By mobilising the nerve it releases tension in the muscles and reduces the likelihood of this event.
      . Tight calves
      TIGHT calves can cause over pronation. The dorsi-flexion (moving the ankle upwards) is not available from the ankle joint due to the
      tight calves, so it has to come from the sub talar joint. It comes as part of the pronation mechanism though and so increases the
      amount of pronation as well. This causes shin related injuries as well as knee and Achilles problems.
      More...from the Runner's Web at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news/rw_news_20060531_HLS_Biomechanics.html

      15. The Fundamentals of Fuel:
      As we all know, triathlon is a demanding sport requiring lots of energy. But we usually pay more attention to how we burn energy
      than we do to how we create it.
      Using and producing energy are equally important things. Understanding what, when and how much to eat is critical to any successful
      endurance training program. Top performance is difficult to achieve, if not impossible, without adequate nutrition.
      Of course, "proper" nutritional intake varies from person to person. What may work for one athlete may not work for another. There
      are some basic nutrition guidelines to follow, however. Take a quick review and see how your current nutritional approach stacks up.
      1. Know the breakdown. Endurance athletes' diets should consist of 60-70 percent carbohydrates, 10-15 percent protein, and 20-30
      percent.
      2. Remember that carbohydrates rule. Carbs serve important functions related to exercise performance and metabolism. They're also
      considered to be the primary provider of energy fuel, particularly during high-intensity exercise. Consuming less than 55 percent is
      counterproductive to performance. Whole wheat breads, brown rice, whole wheat pastas, oatmeal, and granolas are great carbohydrate
      sources.
      More...from Lifetime Fitness at:
      http://www.ltftriathlon.com/website/resources/index.cfm?strWebAction=article_detail&intArticleId=97

      16. Calorie Restriction and Aging:
      Investigators at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis have found that eating a low-calorie yet nutritionally
      balanced diet lowers concentrations of a thyroid hormone called triiodothyronine (T3), which controls the body's energy balance and
      cellular metabolism.
      The researchers also found that calorie restriction (CR) decreases the circulating concentration of a powerful inflammatory molecule
      called tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF). They say the combination of lower T3 levels and reduced inflammation may slow the aging
      process by reducing the body's metabolic rate as well as oxidative damage to cells and tissues.
      Previous research on mice and rats has shown that both calorie restriction and endurance exercise protect them against many chronic
      diseases including obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease and some types of cancer. However, the research has shown that only
      calorie restriction increases the animals' maximum lifespan by up to 50 percent. These animal studies suggest that leanness is a key
      factor in the prevention of age-associated disease, but reducing caloric intake is needed to slow down aging.
      For the new study, researchers examined 28 members of the Calorie Restriction Society who had been eating a CR diet for an average
      of six years. Although the calorie restriction group consumed fewer calories - averaging only about 1,800 per day - they consumed at
      least 100 percent of the recommended daily amounts of protein and micronutrients. A second group of 28 study subjects was sedentary,
      and they ate a standard Western diet. A third group in the study ate a standard Western diet - approximately 2,700 calories per day
      - but also did endurance training. The researchers found reduced T3 levels - similar to those seen in animals whose rate of aging is
      reduced by CR - only in the people on calorie restriction diets.
      More...from eMaxHealth at:
      http://www.emaxhealth.com/8/6095.html

      17. Heart attack risk with pain drugs:
      People taking high daily doses of two common painkillers are at increased risk of heart attack and stroke, say Oxford researchers.
      But the British Medical Journal study says the risk is moderate, with only an extra three people in every thousand suffering from an
      adverse reaction.
      Long term use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen and diclofenac have raised fears before.
      They are standard drugs for those with chronic pain, like arthritis sufferers.
      Concern had focused on the newer COX-2 drugs, but there are now also fears over NSAIDs.
      The doses given for chronic pain conditions are much higher than those used by people taking the drugs as occasional painkillers.
      The newer COX-2 inhibitors were developed to avoid the side effects of gastric bleeding and ulcers which sometimes occurred with
      traditional NSAIDs.
      One COX-2, Vioxx, was taken off the market after concerns about the risk of heart attack.
      More...from the BBC at:
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5037350.stm

      18. Drug Test:
      Everybody knows that many athletes cheat by using performance-enhancing drugs like steroids, testosterone, and EPO. But what is it
      like to take these banned substances? Do they really help you win? To find out, we sent an amateur cyclist into the back rooms of
      sports medicine, where he just said yes to the most controversial chemicals in sports.
      "OK," the doctor said when we settled into his examination room. "What do you want to be?"
      I looked confused, so he explained.
      "You want to be bigger? Leaner? Faster longer or faster shorter? More overall endurance? You want to see better?"
      "See better?"
      "Human growth hormone does that for some people. It improves the muscles in the eyes." He tried again: "So, what do you want?"
      This was quite a concept. Freud wrote that anatomy is destiny, and here was a doctor giving me a chance, in my late forties, to
      alter my body in the most fundamental way. It was strange, but also strangely alluring.
      It had taken me a while to arrive at this moment. I was sitting in the San Fernando Valley offices of a physician whose identity
      I've agreed to conceal-let's just call In His Own Words
      Listen to Stuart Stevens' interview on NPR's "All Things Considered."
      him Dr. Jones. For reasons I'll explain shortly, my goal was to experience firsthand some of the banned performance-enhancing drugs
      that are often abused in the endurance sports I participate in, like cycling and cross-country skiing. The menu I had in mind
      included human growth hormone (HGH), testosterone, and some variety of anabolic steroid, all of which are used to increase strength
      and shorten an athlete's recovery time by repairing muscle cells faster<br/><br/>(Message over 64 KB, truncated)