Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest - September 2, 2005

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2005
      those of the Runner's Web. To comment on any stories in the Digest visit our Forum at:
      http://excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=4655
      The Original Runner's and Triathlete's Web was founded in January of 1997 and is not in any way associated with the two UK "Runner's
      Web" copycat sites or the Runner's Web Book Store in the USA.
      Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out our daily news,
      features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more. General questions should be posted to one of our forums available from our
      FrontPage.

      SUPPORT OUR ADVERTISERS:

      1. Runner's Web Online Store:
      Through a partnership with HDO Sports, the Runner's and Triathlete's Web has opened an online store. Check it out for your shopping
      requirements. Provide us with your feedback.
      http://store.runnersweb.com

      http://www.roadrunnersports.com/cgi-bin/rrs/rrs/rrHome.jsp?sc=CBM-00105&prfc=1

      3. Toronto Waterfront Marathon. September 25, 2005:
      http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/

      4. Sof Sole Offer:
      A free pair of our technical socks ($9.99 value) with the purchase of any Sof Sole insole.
      http://www.sofsole.com/pages/promo/rwebsockoffer.html

      5. The Toronto Marathon
      http://www.torontomarathon.com

      6. Total Immersion
      The TAO of TI: What makes Total Immersion different.
      Only TI teaches you to master swimming as an art. TI teachers emphasize the same patient precision and refinement taught by martial
      arts masters. We start with simple skills and movements and progress by small, easily-mastered steps. Our students thrive on the
      attention to detail and the logical sequence of progressive skills.
      Check out the TI program at:
      http://www.totalimmersion.net

      Shopping on the internet?
      Check out the Summer Specials at our online store (in partnership with HDO Sport).
      http://store.runnersweb.com/

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS:
      This newsletter has been composed using Outlook set to "Plain Text" format. The Digest is sent via an email list at
      http://groups.yahoo.com
      If you experience any delays in receiving your copy of the Digest, please advise us at:
      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for viruses. Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor
      (me) prior to being released to the group. If you have any questions regarding the options available for receiving this digest,
      mailto:Webmaster@...
      NOTE
      **[ Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two lines. If you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you paste
      the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or another appropriate suffix ].
      Note: An increasing number of media sites require free registration. If you wish to sign up for free access to sources for our
      articles without using your main email address we suggest the use of a mail alias program such as http://www.emailias.com

      THIS WEEK:

      Webmasters
      Get our Syndicated headlines for you site.
      Add the Runner's Web News feed to your site through a simple JavaScript. Check out OnTri.com's implementation at:
      http://www.ontri.com/runnersweb.html
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is now available through an RSS feed for myYahoo at:
      http://e.my.yahoo.com/config/cstore?.opt=content&.url=http%3a//rss.groups.yahoo.\com/group/RunnersWeb/rss

      If anyone is looking for a web mail provider, you might wish to consider Google's GMail. Currently you can get GMail by invitation
      only from a current user. My stock of "invites" has been replenished. If you are interested in getting FREE GMail account, contact
      me at: mailto:kparker@....

      Microsoft(r) Alerts on RunnersWeb.com Inc.
      RunnersWeb.com Inc. now offers Microsoft(r) Alerts! This service lets you receive important messages through your MSN(r) Messenger
      or Windows(r) Messenger, your e-mail, or your mobile device. You can choose how and when you receive these messages by specifying
      your preferences during the easy setup process. Sign up at:
      http://www.messagecast.net/alerts/login.do?PINID=2598&returnURL=http://www.runne\rsweb.com

      We have 1,391 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe. at:

      Race Directors:
      Advertise your event on the Runner's Web. Over 1.8 MILLION visits in 2004!
      68% increase in visitors in first 6 months of 2005!
      Averaged 8,000+ visitors per day for August 2005.

      For text ads check out our AdBrite partnership at:
      http://www.adbrite.com/mb/commerce/purchase_form.php?opid=15182&afsid=1

      Runner's and Triathlete's Web Content Partners:

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey.
      Sheila is one of Ottawa's top multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public
      Health and works in the field of nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the University of California, San Diego. Her
      column index is available at:

      * Carmichael Training Systems
      Carmichael Training Systems was founded in 1999 by Chris Carmichael.
      From the beginning, the mission of the company has been to improve the lives of individuals we work with through the application of
      proper and effective fitness and competitive training techniques. Whether your focus is recreational, advanced, or you are a
      professional racer, the coaching methodology employed by CTS will make you a better athlete. Check the latest monthly column from
      CTS at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/cts_columns.html.

      * Running Research News
      Running Research News is a monthly newsletter which keeps sports-active people up-to-date on the latest information about
      training, sports nutrition, and sports medicine. RRN publishes practical, timely new material which improves workouts, prevents
      injuries, and heightens overall fitness. Check our latest column from Running Research News at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RRN_index.html
      On January 7th we started a new feature on the website - A Question and Answer with Owen Anderson from Running Research News.
      Send in your training related questions for Owen to answer to
      mailto:webmaster@...?subject=Owen_Anderson
      Check out the questions and answers from the Q and A Index page at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RRN_AskOwen_index.html

      * Peak Performance Online
      Peak Performance is a subscription-only newsletter for athletes, featuring the latest research from the sports science world. We
      cover the whole range of sports, from running and rowing to cycling and swimming, and each issue is packed full of exclusive
      information for anyone who's serious about sport. It's published 16 times a year, including four special reports, by Electric Word
      plc. Peak Performance is not available in the shops - only our subscribers are able to access the valuable information we publish
      Check out our latest article from Peak Performance Online at:

      * Peak Running Performance
      Peak Running Performance Is The Number 1 Technical Running Newsletter In America! Check out their article index at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/PRP_index.html.

      * WatsonLifeSport
      Lance Watson is "Just The Winningest Coach in Triathlon". He has been coaching triathlon and distance running since 1987. Over the
      years, Lance has coached some of the most successful athletes in the sport of triathlon and duathlon.
      Check out the Lance Watson Online Article Index at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/LW_index.html

      This Weeks Personal Postings/Releases:
      We have ONE personal posting this week.
      1. FROM: green_jellybean1@...
      DATE: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 15:00:01 -0000
      SUBJECT: HS Cross Country
      Hi, I'm new to the group and was wondering if there are any
      high school cross country members out there? It would be
      nice to talk to someone in my own age group!

      THIS WEEK'S DIGEST ARTICLE INDEX:

      1. Science of Sport: What To Do On A Bad Day
      2. Science of Sport: Sleep deprivation
      3. Sports Psychology: Burnout
      4. Whey Protein - Can it Help You?
      5. Is there too much athletic activity among some children?
      Although obesity, especially among sedentary children, is an increasing national health issue, doctors are also seeing a worrisome
      problem on the other end of the spectrum - too much athletic activity.
      6. College athletes unconcerned about skin cancer
      7. Joe Henderson's Running Commentary - Keeping Watch
      8. Sports Psychology - Why We Don’t Quit
      Giving up is the ultimate tragedy. – Robert J. Donovan.
      9. Java Joy: Study Touts Coffee's Benefits
      10. That Hammered Feeling
      Simple Steps to Soften Muscle Soreness.
      11. From Runner's World
      12. Study finds yogis better at controlling weight
      13. Canine coach keeps dieters on a leash
      14. Muscle in a bottle?
      15. Marathon Training
      16. Colds, Flu and Cycling
      Winter is the time for the common cold and flu viruses to invade our bodies. Whilst you can continue light training with a mild cold
      riding when you have a flu virus can kill you!
      17. Lactic acid and running: myths, legends and reality - the ABC
      18. Orthotics Questions & Answers
      Custom Ultralight Running & Walking Orthotics.....
      19. An active menopause
      Some women add relief from hot flashes, insomnia and the like to the list of benefits that regular exercise brings.
      20. Strength Training Without Equipment
      21. Running Faster - Planning your Interval Training
      22. Athlete's Kitchen: Caffeine and Athletes
      23. Olympic-distance showdown
      Power to a PR this season by boosting your run.
      24. Dream Job - Mary Wittenberg's Journey

      "Which of the following marathons gives the winner the most significant status?
      Olympic Games
      World Championships
      Amsterdam
      Berlin
      Boston
      Chicago
      Fukuoka, Japan
      London, England
      New York
      Rotterdam"

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage as well as checking the results of previous polls.
      Post your views in our Forum at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/runnersweb_forum.html
      [Free Registration Required]

      Last week's poll was: "Do you believe Lance Armstrong is guilty of using EPO in the 1999 Tour de France?"
      The results at publication time were:
      Answers Votes Percent
      1. No 52 58%
      2. Yes 29 32%
      3. No opinion, don't care 9 10%

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE WEEK:
      53X12.com Cycling Training Center.
      "My Training Center (MTC) is the ultimate online training tool for bicyclist. It allows 53x12.com members to receive personalized
      training programs, keep track of improvements and developments and much more. MTC is a real-time window to your bicycling training.
      All of our training program subscribers have full access to MTC's sections and features, specifically created in order to:
      Receive weekly training schedules and interact with Dr Michele Ferrari and WCA
      Store your vital statistics and check your developments
      Compile your daily training diary and access it easily anywhere, anytime
      Schedule your race events/goals
      Read all the information about MF method and instructions to better perform your personalized training program."

      This site is run by Dr Michele Ferrari who trained Lance Armstrong until October of 2004. He ( Ferrari) was cleared of dope
      distribution charges but was given a suspended 12 months jail sentence for malpractice.
      Check out the site at:
      http://www.53x12.com

      Send us your suggestions for our Five Star site. Please check our list of previous Five Star Sites available from the Five Star
      Window under the link "Previous Five Star Sites" as we do not wish to repeat a site unless it has undergone a major redesign.

      If you feel you have something to say that is worthy of a Guest Column on the Runner's Web, email us at
      mailto:webmaster@... or leave your comments in one of our Forums at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/forum.html or from our FrontPage.

      BOOK OF THE WEEK:
      LORE OF RUNNING
      Now revised, expanded and updated, Lore of Running gives you incomparable detail on physiology, training, racing, injuries,
      world-class athletes, and races.
      Author Tim Noakes blends the expertise of a physician and research scientist with the passion of a dedicated runner to answer the
      most pressing questions for those who are serious about the sport:
      · How your body systems respond to training, the effects of different training methods, how to detect and avoid overtraining, and
      genetic versus trainable potential
      · How to train for the 10K up through ultramarathon with detailed programs from Noakes and several leading running experts
      · How to prevent and treat injuries, increase your strength and flexibility, and use proper nutrition for weight control and maximum
      performance
      Order the book from Human Kinetics at:
      http://www.humankinetics.com/products/showproduct.cfm?associate=880&isbn=0873229592

      Previous Books of the Week:
      From Human Kinetics,
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html
      From Amazon
      More running and triathlon books from Associates Shop
      http://associatesshop.filzhut.de/shop/index.php?ID=90c9f271c1a519abc4a69299be7075a9

      THIS WEEK'S NEWS:

      1. Science of Sport: What To Do On A Bad Day:
      By Owen Anderson, Ph. D. (Copyright © 2004-2005)
      It’s a question as old as training itself: What should one do on a high-quality training day when the scheduled workout starts very
      badly?
      Is it best to knock out the planned intervals as well as possible, even though the pace maintained is significantly slower than
      expected? Would it be better to cancel the entire-day’s proceedings, postponing the high-intensity work until some later date? Is
      the answer perhaps to run for close to the desired volume, without making any attempt to elevate intensity of effort? Should one do
      half the number of scheduled intervals? One-third?
      The answer to the basic question of course depends on what caused the workout difficulty. If you find yourself in this predicament
      and you believe that there is a good chance that you are overtrained, i. e., that you have exceeded your body’s capacity to adapt to
      the training which has been carried out in preceding weeks and entered into a state of physiological depletion associated with poor
      performance, then there is no question about what to do: Go home, lie down, and rest. Over subsequent days, you should train very
      easily (or not at all) and do things which maximize recovery, including getting adequate sleep, drinking enough fluid, consuming a
      healthy diet, and carrying out light, relaxing activities.
      If the basic problem appears to be environmental in nature (for example, you have been training in 70-degree temperatures but nature
      has blessed you with 85-degree heat and similar humidity at the onset of your quality workout or else gale-force winds are sweeping
      across the track), then the answer to our vexing question hinges on the weather forecast. If the days ahead are going to be
      conducive to better training (for example, a cooling trend may be predicted), you would be wise to simply stop your session and
      re-schedule it for the near future (the following day, if possible). On the other hand, if torrid conditions will prevail for some
      time, you’ll have to simply do your best with the planned effort – or else move it inside to a treadmill in an air-conditioned room
      (another possibility might be to get up earlier in the morning, when it is cooler).
      More...from the Runner's Web at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news/rw_news_20050902_RRN_Bad_Day.html

      2. Science of Sport: Sleep deprivation:
      Participants in adventure racing often go without sleep for more than 24 hours while engaging in prolonged sub-maximal exercise.
      Does the sleep deprivation harm their capacity to perform this exercise? Not at all, according to a new UK study.
      Researchers from Bath and Hull Universities set out to examine the effects of 30 hours of sleep deprivation and intermittent
      physical exercise n cardio-respiratory markers of sub-maximal exercise.
      Six male students endured 30 hours of sleep deprivation in a laboratory under two different conditions, separated by seven days, as
      follows:
      Performing sedentary activities;
      Undertaking intermittent cycling for 20 minutes every two hours at 50% of VO2max.
      Every four hours, the subjects in both groups completed assessments of cardiorespiratory function while cycling at 50% VO2max.
      Analysis of the results showed no significant differences between baseline assessment and the two sleep deprivation conditions for
      any of the measured respiratory variables. Additionally, there were no significant differences for any variable between the two
      experimental groups. And, while mean heart rate in the sedentary condition was lower than at baseline, the same was not true of the
      exercise condition.
      More...from the Runner's Web at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news/rw_news_20050901_PPO_Sleep_Deprivation.html

      3. Sports Psychology: Burnout
      By Michelle Cleere, Sports Psychology Consultant
      Introduction
      The pressure to win and train with intensity has increased dramatically throughout the years, mostly because of the [perceived]
      rewards physically, mentally and emotionally.1 But one result of these pressures is burnout. One definition of burnout says it is a
      state of mental, emotional and physical exhaustion brought on by persistent devotion to a goal whose achievement is dramatically
      opposed to reality.2 Another definition states burnout is an exhaustive psychophysiological response exhibited as a result of
      frequent, sometimes extreme, and generally ineffective efforts to meet excessive training and competitive demands.1 Both definitions
      stress extreme wear and tear on the body produced through training demands larger than what a person can cope with physically,
      mentally and psychologically.
      Why talk about burnout? Because fitness and exercise is important towards enhancing the physical, mental, and emotional well being
      of people and it’s our job as health professionals to train people, not to exhaustion [burnout], but in a healthy, fun, realistic
      manner that keeps them coming back.
      More...from the Runner's Web at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news/rw_news_20050830_SM_Burnout.html

      4. Whey Protein - Can it Help You?
      Are you interested in taking care of your body before and after strenuous activities or workouts? Do you try to avoid supplements
      that contain additives and possible side effects? If you are interested in better health and improved physical fitness you have
      surely heard that bodybuilders and other athletes are turning to a simple, natural supplement called whey protein.
      What is Whey Protein?
      Commercial whey protein comes from cow's milk. Whey is the by-product of making cheese and was usually thrown away as a waste
      product. Now researchers know that whey protein is high quality, natural protein that is rich with amino acids essential for good
      health and muscle building. It is naturally found in mother's milk and also used in baby formula. It is being considered for use as
      a fortifier of grain products because of its considerable health benefits and bland flavor.
      Although protein is also found in other foods such as meat, soy and vegetables, whey protein is proven to have the highest
      absorption (digestion) levels in comparison to all others.
      Why do Athletes use Whey Protein?
      Protein levels are depleted through exercise. Muscles require amino acids to prevent deterioration, give endurance and build mass.
      Proteins supply these amino acids to the muscles which is why athletes use whey protein.
      More...from Deep Fitness at:
      http://www.deepfitness.com/05/whey_serpico/

      5. Is there too much athletic activity among some children?
      Although obesity, especially among sedentary children, is an increasing national health issue, doctors are also seeing a worrisome
      problem on the other end of the spectrum - too much athletic activity.
      As young peoples' participation in competitive sports soars, doctors are increasingly treating preventable athletic injuries that
      could have a lifelong impact if not properly treated. Untreated injuries in bones that have not yet fully formed could result in the
      incorrect growth of shoulders, elbows and knees.
      “Sports injuries are becoming the most common reason young people are going to the emergency room,” said Jordan D. Metzl, M.D.,
      medical director of the Sports Medicine Institute for Young Athletes at New York City's Hospital for Special Surgery ( HSS ). Dr.
      Metzl, who has conducted studies on youth sports injuries, and other experts spoke recently at HSS's “2nd Annual Sports Medicine for
      Coaches Fall Sports Safety Seminar.”
      Coaches and parents should be aware of warning signs and find a balance for young athletes. “Sports will always be injury-laden, but
      statistically it is safer to play sports than to travel to a game by car,” said Dr. Metzl, himself an accomplished marathon runner
      and Ironman triathlete.
      More...from I-Newswire at:
      http://i-newswire.com/pr44235.html

      6. College athletes unconcerned about skin cancer:
      Despite spending hours under the sun, most college athletes are lax about protecting their skin with sunscreen, a new survey
      suggests.
      Of the 186 athletes researchers surveyed during the summer practice season, 85 percent said they had not used sunscreen at all in
      the past week. Only a handful -- 6 percent -- said they'd used it on at least three days during the previous week.
      The students often cited inconvenience or forgetfulness as the reasons they went without sun block. But a majority of the
      explanations they gave revealed some lack of understanding of the risks of sun exposure and the importance of using sunscreen, the
      survey found.
      Dr. Brian Adams, the senior author of the study, described the athletes' rate of sunscreen use as "abominable."
      These students, he told Reuters Health, are at particular risk from excessive sun exposure because they often practice during the
      hours when ultraviolet radiation is strongest -- between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. -- and because research suggests that sweaty skin burns
      more easily.
      One remedy to the inconvenience issue many students raised would be to make sunscreen available in locker rooms and at the playing
      field, said Adams, an associate professor of dermatology at the University of Cincinnati in Ohio.
      But along with such practical measures, he pointed to a need for a "change in culture." As he said, "It's certainly not considered
      cool to apply sunscreen before practice."
      More...from Reuters at:
      http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=healthNews&storyID=2005-08-26T191253Z_01_EIC669079_RTRIDST_0_HEALTH-ATHLETES-CAN
      CER-DC.XML
      [Multi-line URL]

      7. Joe Henderson's Running Commentary - Keeping Watch:
      My version of the "Live Strong" bracelet will never sell millions of copies as that yellow rubber band has done. Mine will never go
      on sale at all. The only way to get one is to earn it, or in my case to inherit it from someone who had earned it.
      I've never met Lance Armstrong or raced on a bike, or even watched more than snippets of Tour de France. I haven't yet had cancer
      but have contributed more directly to the cause of fighting it than buying a bracelet. Last year I supported my wife Barbara through
      her successful fight.
      My armwear honors an event that has been part or me since... well, since before there was a me. This is the Drake Relays wristwatch.
      For most of that track meet's nearly century-long history the watch has served as its big prize. Winners at Drake don't talk of
      "taking a gold" but of "getting a watch."
      These aren't running watches. They have hands, not digital numbers.
      These aren't Rolexes but can't be bought for any price. Only the athletes who win at Drake receive them, plus the few officials who
      work harder than any athlete.
      I ran at Drake a dozen times but never came close to winning a watch. My best finish was second in the 1961 high school mile, but
      even winner Don Prichard collected only a medal. Kids our age weren't eligible for watches then, and still aren't.
      An uncle of mine did win a Drake Relays watch 75 years ago. Charles Henderson, a sprinter for Iowa State College, wore it proudly
      for the rest of his long life.
      None of his three brothers ever competed at Drake, but all were fans. Together the brothers' attendance at the Relays totaled
      hundreds of years.
      My dad never owned a Relays watch for his volunteer work at the meet. He kept statistics there, teaming with his older son for a few
      years before leaving all of those duties Mike, who continued that work for almost 40 years.
      More...from Joe Henderson at:
      http://www.joehenderson.com/archive/525.html

      8. Sports Psychology - Why We Don’t Quit:
      Giving up is the ultimate tragedy. – Robert J. Donovan
      When non-triathletes hear I was knocked-off my bicycle racing downhill on a recent long training ride, they give predictable
      Certainly this is not the first time I’ve heard these sentiments expressed. Hardly a race has gone by where I, like nearly all
      triathletes, haven’t been confronted by the thought of quitting. And yet, most of us don’t give up.
      Knowing our personal reasons for not quitting is crucial to our success as endurance athletes. Triathlon, by design, pushes us to
      our limits. When we reach them, when we’ve gone as far as we believe we are able, we’d best have at least one good reason to
      continue. While some may find inspiration in beer at a post-race party or in bragging rights that accompany a finish, neither of
      these, nor other similar reasons, is enough to psychologically sustain us when conditions get really rough. Here are three reasons
      for not quitting that might just keep you from doing so.
      Reason One: Triathlon is an adventure; we are adventurers.
      In our day-to-day existence, opportunities for pushing our limits are restricted. In an article in Outside magazine, Mark Jenkins
      writes, “For more than 70,000 years, humans lived outside, where life-and-death threats were a constant reality. To survive as a
      species, we had to adapt to adventure – physically, psychologically, and spiritually.” Today, when life-and-death threats are nearly
      non-existent, the need for physical, psychological and spiritual challenge remains. Triathlon provides for these needs.
      More...from Tri-Fuel at:
      http://www.trifuel.com/triathlon/sports-psychology/why-we-dont-quit-001025.php

      9. Java Joy: Study Touts Coffee's Benefits:
      When the Ink Spots sang "I love the java jive and it loves me" in 1940, they could not have known how right they were. Coffee not
      only helps clear the mind and perk up the energy, it also provides more healthful antioxidants than any other food or beverage in
      the American diet, according to a study released Sunday.
      Of course, too much coffee can make people jittery and even raise cholesterol levels, so food experts stress moderation.
      The findings by Joe A. Vinson, a chemistry professor at the University of Scranton, in Pennsylvania, give a healthy boost to the
      warming beverage.
      "The point is, people are getting the most antioxidants from beverages, as opposed to what you might think," Vinson said in a
      telephone interview.
      Antioxidants, which are thought to help battle cancer and provide other health benefits, are abundant in grains, tomatoes and many
      other fruits and vegetables.
      Vinson said he was researching tea and cocoa and other foods and decided to study coffee, too.
      His team analyzed the antioxidant content of more than 100 different food items, including vegetables, fruits, nuts, spices, oils
      and common beverages. They then used Agriculture Department data on typical food consumption patterns to calculate how much
      antioxidant each food contributes to a person's diet.
      More...from the LA Times at:
      http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/ats-ap_health14aug29,1,5046661.story?coll=sns-ap-tophealth

      10. That Hammered Feeling:
      Simple Steps to Soften Muscle Soreness.
      Every runner is familiar with rising from bed the morning after a race or an especially long run feeling as if his legs had been
      tenderized with a sledgehammer during the night. More than an unpleasant feeling, delayed-onset muscle soreness (DOMS) is a symptom
      of muscle tissue damage that can seriously compromise the quality of your training. A recent Spanish university study found that
      DOMS reduced running economy by 5% in a group of subjects.
      Many runners assume that DOMS is an unavoidable effect of hard running that we just have to live with, and it is true that the only
      way to avoid muscle soreness completely is to avoid hard running altogether. But there are several measures you can take to reduce
      the amount of soreness you experience during the training process, and thus reduce the impact of soreness on the quality of your
      training—without training any less hard. By practicing these techniques you will generally perform better in your key workouts and,
      as a result, get more out of them.
      A Physiological Tug-o-War
      DOMS is associated with the microscopic tearing of muscle fibers during activity that is either more intense or more prolonged than
      normal. When a muscle fiber is strained too far, the surface membrane breaks open and some of its chemical contents spill out,
      damaging other muscle tissue, activating nerve fibers, and initiating an inflammation response. The pain is probably associated with
      inflammation more than it is with the damage itself, which is why the soreness takes many hours to develop and often does not peak
      until two to three days after the workout or race. In addition to pain, other symptoms are loss of strength, stiffness, and
      decreased range of motion.
      Training for Low-Pain Gains
      Preventing soreness begins with the warm-up. Always precede any high-intensity running you do with easy jogging followed by
      stretching or flexibility drills (such as high knees and butt kicks). These precautions warm and lubricate the muscles, making the
      fibers less prone to tearing during the more intense portion of the workout. Likewise—and I know you’ve heard it a thousand
      times—you need to cool down thoroughly after your high-intensity workouts. Circulation is the primary facilitator of the muscle
      repair process after intense exercise. Finishing workouts with low-intensity activity keeps circulation levels up without further
      damaging muscle fibers and thereby kick-starts the recovery process.
      In addition to warming up and cooling down, be sure not to overdo your long runs and high-intensity workouts. Develop a feel for how
      long your body can go in a workout without being hobbled the next day. The amount of muscle soreness you experience tomorrow will
      always be directly proportional to how far you work your muscles beyond what they are accustomed to today. For this same reason, you
      should construct long training programs whose workload increases very gradually from week to week, with the occasional
      reduced-workload recovery week.
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/issues/03dec/musclesoreness.htm

      11. From Runner's World:
      * Coach's Corner
      "Taper your to-do list. Sure, you're training less the week before the race, but that doesn't mean you should fill your downtime
      with chores. Don't clean the garage. Don't even alphabetize your books. Just kick back, relax and focus on the only task that
      counts--replacing your heavy training with some very heavy rest." -Budd Coates, Director of Employee Fitness & Health, Rodale,
      Emmaus, Pennsylvania; marathon PR: 2:13:02

      * Injury Prevention
      Over 40? Hit the gym: "Injuries would be cut in half if every runner over 40 runner started strength training. Weight training
      strengthens and energizes the whole body, and it'll help keep you injury-free. Aim for two sessions a week, and figure to do eight
      to ten different exercises that work your entire body." -Jim Porterfield, a physical therapist and owner of Rehabilitation and
      Health Center at The Crystal Clinic in Montrose, Ohio

      * Performance Nutrition
      Summer Sipping: Drink plain old tap water, bottled spring water, or sparkling mineral water, which are naturally calorie-free. Some
      bottled waters even supply a dose of minerals such as calcium and magnesium. If you're looking for flavor, try unsweetened iced tea
      (black, green, or herbal) flavored with lemon, lime, or fresh peppermint leaves. For coffee and chocolate lovers, make your own iced
      mocha by combining coffee, non-fat milk, and a tablespoon of chocolate syrup. This drink will save you more than 200 calories
      compared with coffee-shop versions.

      * Words That Inspire:
      "I tell our runners to divide the race into thirds. Run the first part with your head, the middle part with your personality, and
      the last part with your heart." -Mike Fanelli, club coach

      * Editor's Advice:
      A timely Matter: "Mornings are hectic enough and evenings are already filled with activities. That leaves your lunch hour. More and
      more employers are offering physical-activity programs at work and flexible hours to help their employees find time in their day to
      exercise. If your employer doesn't offer something currently, ask. Most employers are receptive!" -Michele Ervin, RW photo assistant

      * Training Talk:
      "The sport of running involves a variety of significant mental challenges-including race suffering, fear of performing poorly, and
      the frustration of injury-that some runners overcome better than others." From Runner's World The Cutting-Edge Runner by Matt
      Fitzgerald

      12. Study finds yogis better at controlling weight:
      A recently published study showing that, on average, middle-aged people who practiced yoga controlled their weight better than
      those who did no yoga, comes with some major caveats.
      First, the findings were based on self-reports of participants (a technique considered less reliable than data gathered by clinical
      observation).
      Second, the weight differences reported didn't reflect calories lost through yoga - most yoga does not meet the American College of
      Sports Medicine's definition of moderate-intensity exercise, that is, exercise rigorous enough to burn substantial calories.
      Instead, researchers speculated, the weight drops may have stemmed from yoga practitioners' being more aware of their bodies,
      nutrition and fitness than nonpractitioners.
      The study of 15,500 people ages 53 to 57 that appears in the July/August issue of the journal Alternative Therapies in Health and
      Medicine showed that the 102 participants of normal weight (with a body mass index, or BMI, under 25) who practiced yoga for four or
      more of the prior 10 years gained, on average, 3.1 fewer pounds (9.5 pounds versus 12.6 pounds) during the period than did the other
      7,000 normal-weight people who did no yoga.
      Overweight participants who practiced yoga for four or more years - only 30 people fit this description - said they actually lost an
      average of 5 pounds over the 10 years, compared with an average gain of 13.5 pounds for the 7,500 or so overweight participants who
      did no yoga. Those who performed yoga for fewer than four years also fared better in weight control than did non-yogis, though their
      advantage was less. (Americans gain an average of 1 pound per year between ages 45 and 55.)
      More... from Newsday at:
      http://www.newsday.com/news/health/ny-hsyoga304402793aug30,0,4927764.story?coll=ny-health-headlines

      13. Canine coach keeps dieters on a leash:
      A ROBOT dog that monitors your daily food intake and exercise levels and warns you not to eat that cheesecake could encourage people
      to stick to their diets.
      The health-conscious pooch connects wirelessly to the dieter's pedometer and an electronic diary of their eating habits, to
      calculate their daily calorie intake and expenditure.
      While it may sound frivolous, its US developers hope the robot, a souped-up version of Sony's dog Aibo, could ultimately help in the
      fight against the western world's obesity epidemic.
      The system is being designed by Cynthia Breazeal at the MIT Media Lab in Cambridge, Massachusetts, who is famed for creating the
      emotional robot Kismet. It would use a pedometer, bathroom scales and a PDA connected by Bluetooth or Wi-Fi to gather information
      about weight, activity and eating habits that people generally have trouble calculating, remembering and reporting.
      A computer will then accurately analyse the data and present the results to the person through the friendly face of a robot, says
      Breazeal's student Cory Kidd, who is working with her to develop the system, which is still at an early stage.
      More...from New Scientist at:
      http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg18725156.400

      14. Muscle in a bottle?
      A federal law banning over-the-counter sales of the dietary supplement androstenedione (commonly called andro) and 25 related
      compounds went into effect in January 2005. Like anabolic steroids, these are now controlled substances.
      A so-called muscle builder, sports fuel, and sex-drive enhancer, andro was best known for its use by Mark McGwire during his
      70-home-run 1998 season.
      Classified as steroid precursors or pro-hormones, andro and its siblings can be converted to testosterone (and/or other hormones) in
      the body. By boosting testosterone they're supposed to build muscle and enhance athletic and sexual performance, though there is
      much debate about how effective they really are
      By affecting hormones, these substances could have serious long-term adverse effects, including blood-clotting disorders, increased
      aggression, reduced HDL ("good") cholesterol, and liver problems.
      In men, they can also cause breast enlargement, testicle shrinkage, increased body hair, and accelerated growth of prostate cancer.
      In women, they could cause male-pattern baldness, excessive facial hair, deepened voice, and possibly abnormal menstruation and
      increased risk of breast and endometrial cancer.
      More...from Active.com at:
      http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=12231&sidebar=17&category=activeusahomepage

      15. Marathon Training:
      Just about everyone’s first marathon should be simply about finishing the distance. You should train smart and thoroughly to prepare
      your body for the pounding of the road and the physical exhaustion that running 26 miles incurs.
      But after you’ve proven to yourself you can go the distance, what’s next?
      For some, it is and always shall be about being out there, enjoying the day and perhaps a new city, and being content to simply make
      it to the finish line. Whatever the clock says when the chip beeps as you cross the mat, so be it.
      And that’s great. That truly should be the essence of what marathoning is all about: enjoying the lifestyle, the fresh air, the
      exercise and the people you hang with.
      But what if you want to add a bit of dramatic twist to your running hobby? What if you want to up the ante and not just collect
      another finisher’s medal but see what happens when you train yourself to be fast? Or train yourself to break the 4:30 mark or 4-
      hour mark, 3:30, 3-hour or faster?
      It’s fun is what it is. Putting yourself under the pressure of breaking a personal record adds an adrenalin-fired burst to your
      training regimen and brings an excitement to the countdown of a marathon. It’s surely hard work but addictive as you get faster and
      fitter while checking off all the long runs, hard runs and easy runs built into the plan to turn your body into a super- efficient
      human rocket.
      Chasing after time goals in the marathon is a perilous business, as every seasoned distance runner will tell you. Going for speed
      and big distance at the same time increases the chances of injury and, necessarily, slides you close to the cliff’s edge of
      overtraining.
      More...from Competitor Magazine at:
      http://www.competitor.com/../story.cfm?story_id=10720&publicationID=205&pageID=4725

      16. Colds, Flu and Cycling:
      Winter is the time for the common cold and flu viruses to invade our bodies. Whilst you can continue light training with a mild cold
      riding when you have a flu virus can kill you!
      The common cold afflicts nearly everybody numerous times; but cyclists and other fit athletes seem particularly prone to the virus.
      After a training ride your immune system is low as your body is recovering from the stress of hard exercise and you are susceptible
      to any viruses which are circulating. The sooner you recover from your training ride the less chance you will have of catching a
      cold.
      Immediately after a training session have protein and carbohydrate recovery drink; change into dry clothing; keep warm and rest for
      a while to help your body recover quicker.
      If your cold consists of just a nasal discharge and there is no fever present you can continue to ride. Gentle exercise tends to
      break up the congestion quicker than a complete rest. To prevent coughing make sure you cut down on the intensity of your rides. If
      other symptoms appear like a sore throat and muscular pains curtail your training and rest and give your immune system a chance to
      fight off the virus.
      More...from World of Endurance at:
      http://worldofendurance.com/cycling/focus_column.asp

      17. Lactic acid and running: myths, legends and reality - the ABC:
      Most runners still believe that lactic acid is released during hard or unaccustomed exercise and that this is what limits running
      performance, as well as being the cause of stiffness. Neither is correct. But not even is the terminology of “lactic acid”.
      Lactic acid does not exist as an acid in the body: it exists in another form called “lactate”, and it is this that is actually
      measured in the blood when “lactic acid” concentration is determined, as is done from time to time. This distinction is important
      not only for the sake of correctness, but more importantly, because lactate and lactic acid would have different physiological
      effects.
      The greatest myth is that lactic acid is the cause of the stiffness felt after an event such as a marathon. Stiffness is due mostly
      to damage to the muscle, and not an accumulation of lactic acid or lactic acid crystals in the muscle.
      Another misconception is that lactate is responsible for acidifying the blood, thereby causing fatigue. To the contrary, lactate is
      actually an important fuel that is used by the muscles during prolonged exercise. Lactate released from the muscle is converted in
      the liver to glucose, which is then used as an energy source. So rather than cause fatigue, it actually helps to delay a possible
      lowering of blood glucose concentration, a condition called hypoglycemia, and which will cause a runner to feel weak and fatigued if
      it occurs.
      More...from Time-To-Run at:
      http://www.time-to-run.com/theabc/lactic.htm

      18. Orthotics Questions & Answers:
      Custom Ultralight Running & Walking Orthotics.....
      Orthotic Frequently Asked Questions & Answers.
      Please review our most asked questions. If you would like a complimentary evaluation of your old orthotics, or if you have any
      additional questions or concerns and want to speak with one of our orthotic experts, please click here or call our 24/7 Helpline at
      888-353-7834.
      What are "orthotics"?
      Orthotics (orthoses) are specially-prepared foot supports. These anatomically molded devices, worn under the heel and arch of your
      foot to correct skeletal anomalies, do more than "support" your feet. They actually realign them to a natural, "neutral" position to
      relieve foot, let and back stress, increase endurance, restore critical balance, improve sports performance, alleviate foot fatigue
      and prevent a wide range of foot problems.
      How do I know if I need orthotics?
      You definitely need orthotics:
      If you participate in any activity that places stress on your feet.
      If you have an obvious imbalance that causes such symptoms as flat or high arched feet.
      If you have external malalignments such as bow knees, knock knees, pigeon-toes, or "duck feet."
      If you've already developed chronic foot problems, ranging from corns and calluses to arch pain and heel spur pain.
      If your job requires being on your feet for extended periods of time.
      More...from Cool Running at:
      http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/borthotic-questions-answe.shtml

      19. An active menopause:
      Some women add relief from hot flashes, insomnia and the like to the list of benefits that regular exercise brings.
      AS her body adapts to the changes of menopause, 52-year-old Nancy Bouché has good days and bad. But one thing is for sure — since
      starting Pilates three years ago, she has more energy, less stress and a striking drop in hot flashes. "I used to have them every
      day," she says, "and now I can go for weeks without having any."
      Bouché, an executive assistant at Nickelodeon Animation, is a testament to the power of exercise over menopausal symptoms. That link
      has been noted by fitness instructors and trainers who have seen the effect on the hot flashes, insomnia, joint aches and weight
      gain often accompanying this phase of a woman's life.
      But it's only now starting to get a closer look from researchers and from many women looking for natural ways to ease the symptoms
      of menopause. Fueling the scrutiny are recent questions about the safety of hormone replacement therapy and a National Institutes of
      Health panel calling for menopause to be "demedicalized."
      One analysis of 12 menopausal women in an eight-week strength training program found that 40% of the women felt less anxious and
      half had less aching, stiffness and irritability. Another, even smaller, study found that yoga helped reduce participants' overall
      symptoms by 16%.
      Other researchers have found, however, that exercise programs produce very little or no improvement of symptoms. One study even
      discovered that a moderate-intensity exercise program exacerbated hot flashes among a few women.
      Yet the prevailing wisdom is that exercise can be a benefit to some women who experience menopausal symptoms — if not by actually
      reducing the frequency of hot flashes and other discomforts, then by generally improving their health.
      "We know that exercise improves quality of life, and if you translate that into any population you see improvements," says Alysia
      Mastrangelo, associate professor of physical therapy at the Richard Stockton College of New Jersey and lead author of the strength
      training and yoga studies. "People who are physically active do better."
      A combination of strength training, cardio workouts and stretching can not only ease many women's symptoms, experts say; it can
      decrease the risk of osteoporosis and heart disease, two common ailments among postmenopausal women.
      More...from the LA Times at:
      http://www.latimes.com/features/health/fitness/la-he-menopause29aug29,1,2552801.story?coll=la-health-fitness-news
      [Long URL]

      20. Strength Training Without Equipment:
      You don't need equipment or gadgets to stretch and strengthen your muscles, and there are a surprising number of exercises for
      endurance and strength that you can do at home, when you travel, or even at the office, that don't cost a dime. And you don't have
      to do them all at once, which means you can add to your health and fitness whenever you feel like taking a break.
      Endurance
      Jogging in place is a basic way to raise your heart rate. A little more interesting, and much more effective is stair climbing.
      Stairs are everywhere. Chances are you have some at home, in shopping malls and stores, at hotels, or at work. Since you have to
      work against gravity to step up, you burn calories at least twice as fast as just walking. This means you get a greater aerobic
      benefit on stairs than most other endurance activities in the same amount of time. A 150 pound person burns about 12 calories per
      minute stepping up at one step per second (but less going down, of course), compared to 5.5 walking.
      More...from the Runner's Web at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news/rw_news_20050902_TSH_STWE.html

      21. Running Faster - Planning your Interval Training:
      Most serious runners realize that some timed interval work on the track helps build the speed that is necessary for top performance.
      I have found that most uncoached runners have only a haphazard idea about how to do this. They typically go to the track once a week
      or so, and "do some 400s" or 800s or 1200s as fast as they can. The next week they change the distance, and so on. The pattern of
      workouts is generally very repetitive, and there is no clear progression throughout the season. That is not the way to get the most
      out of interval training.
      To extract the greatest benefit, it is essential to have a progression. To give an idea about how this works, let us imagine a 10K
      runner with a recent best of 37:30 (6:00 per 1600 meters), who wishes to run one interval workout per week. I will assume that this
      runner has already established a solid endurance base (at least 12 weeks emphasizing top mileage in the last year), because that is
      essential before starting any interval training. For most runners, the correct amount of fast running per interval workout will be
      between 2400 meters and 4800 meters, depending upon the level of experience.
      The idea behind the interval progression is to run a variety of paces, while gradually increasing the pace as time goes by. The goal
      of each workout is to work a particular pace, adjusting the distance to provide a challenging (but not too challenging!) workout.
      The progression of base paces would look something like this:
      More...from Run Washington at:
      http://www.runwashington.com/features/trainintervals05.html

      22. Athlete's Kitchen: Caffeine and Athletes:
      Many athletes enjoy a caffeine-lift either as a morning eye-opener, during daily coffee breaks, before training, and during
      competitions. Questions arise about caffeine: Should I use caffeinated gels during long runs? How much caffeine is in Red Bull? Does
      coffee enhance performance -- or is it dehydrating? The purpose of this article is to look at caffeine (most commonly consumed as
      coffee) as a part of a sports diet and help you determine whether you want to take it or leave it.
      Caffeine and hydration
      We've all heard the warning: Coffee has a diuretic effect, is dehydrating, and doesn't count as a fluid replacer. While once deemed
      true, we now know differently. The truth is, a moderate intake of coffee, cola and other caffeinated beverages do count towards
      fluid needs-particularly if you are accustomed to consuming caffeine as a part of your daily diet. (Don't we all know someone who
      drinks only coffee-no water-and is fully functional?) Given about 80% of Americans drink coffee (55% daily, 25% occasionally), and
      the average intake is about 200 mg caffeine/day (3 mg/kg), most athletes are familiar with caffeine's benefits of heightened
      alertness and performance.
      The US military is intensely interested in the physiological effects of caffeine on hydration. With soldiers enduring the heat of
      Iraq, the military needs to know how to optimize hydration. Hence, they have researched the effects of moderate and high doses of
      caffeine (3 and 6 mg/kg body weight) on hydration. Using subjects who habitually consumed a relatively low amount of
      caffeine--equivalent to one 6-ounce cup of brewed coffee (100 mg/day; about 1.3 mg caffeine/kg), they found no detrimental effects
      of caffeine on 24-hour urine volume. (Armstrong, In't J Sports Nutr, June 2005) By day's end, the urine losses were similar whether
      the person consumed no caffeine or a high dose.
      How did the "coffee is dehydrating" myth start? The initial studies looked at urine collection just 2 to 4 hours after
      caffeine-consumption (not the 24-hour picture), did not compare coffee to water, or used very high doses of caffeine. We now know
      people have similar urine volume whether they consume caffeinated (3 mg caffeine/kg) or plain water.
      More...from Running Network at:
      http://www.runningnetwork.com/trainingtips/caffeineAug05.html

      23. Olympic-distance showdown:
      Power to a PR this season by boosting your run.
      As the season progresses and we get a few races under the belt, inevitably we find a reason to want to go a little bit faster.
      Whether it's getting a personal best, winning your age group or picking off a particular nemesis, you want that something extra.
      With a bit of work, you can shave some valuable time off your run without making drastic changes to your training program. Here are
      three great workouts for building killer speed over the Olympic-distance run.
      Workout #1: Mile repeats
      Frequency: Once per week
      The nuts and bolts: 6 x 1 mile or 10 x 1k or 5 x 2k
      If you have not done anything like this before you should begin with fewer repeats, such as 4 x 1 mile, and build up to the full
      volume of this workout. Also, you may consider choosing a different repeat-to-distance format each week to avoid monotony.
      More...from Active.com at:
      http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=12243&sidebar=26&category=triathlon

      24. Dream Job - Mary Wittenberg's Journey:
      Sitting amid the organized clutter that defines the day-to-day workings of the New York Road Runners Club, Mary Wittenberg, 39 looks
      like a grown-up version of the proverbial girl next door. One quickly learns, however, that her fresh-faced good looks belie an iron
      will, fierce determination and an uncompromising work ethic; all qualities that have brought her to the position she now
      occupies—second in command of the world’s largest running club. A seasoned attorney with a hard-earned background in the art of the
      deal, she is also an enthusiastic and talented athlete with experience in numerous team sports, and a passionate and determined
      runner. Like many women her age, she benefited from the sacrifices and trials of her elders, while still having to blaze trails of
      her own. Along with few other women in the business of running, she is at the vanguard, leading the way for all women to enjoy full
      participation in the sport they love.
      Crew Chief
      Mary Robertson Wittenberg was the first child born into a large, Irish Catholic family in Buffalo, NY. All seven Robertson children
      participated in the sports their father coached. Mary played baseball, softball and basketball with her brothers and sisters until
      she got to high school. For three years in high school, however, cheerleading was her "sport" of choice. It was in her senior year
      that Wittenberg decided she wanted to be more of an athletic participant than a bystander. The West Side Rowing Club offered her a
      perfect opportunity. She instantly took to crew, which was to hold her attention and dedication for the next five years, as she
      found that her slight build and long limbs gave her an edge on the water.
      At Canisius College in Buffalo Wittenberg continued rowing with the West Side Rowing Club, and also served as coxswain for the men’s
      college crew team. This pivotal job as leader, coach and motivator for her teammates was a unique position for a woman at the time.
      Part of the team’s training regimen were daily runs, which Wittenberg ran stride for stride with her teammates. This ability to run
      a solid workout with "the guys" gave her additional, and much needed, credibility. It also started her on her road racing career and
      life-long love affair with running
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/issues/01oct/wittenberg.htm

      25. Digest Briefs:
      * Health Tip: When to Skip Your Workouts(HealthDayNews) -- Do you believe that a cold or the flu needs to be sweated out in the gym?
      If so, you're mistaken. Your body doesn't sweat out toxins during exercise, according to the War Memorial Hospital in West Virginia.
      Rather, your immune system fights the better fight when it's not stressed.
      Moderate exercise can help boost your immune system, thereby decreasing the chances that you will catch a cold or the flu. But a
      hard workout when you are sick can impair your immune system for several hours, making your illness worse.
      Once you're feeling better, give your body an extra few days to recover before you resume working out. Allow three to four days of
      rest after a bad cold, and at least a week after the flu.
      When you return to your routine, practice the 50 percent rule. Decrease your usual exercise time by half and go half-speed on the
      treadmill or exercise bike until you regain your strength and endurance.
      -- Felicity Stone

      * Easy riding gained without pain
      Core strength -- of abdominal, oblique, back muscles -- allows long, strong cycling.
      By John Briley, Washington Post
      Many cyclists wonder why they experience pain — typically in their knees or back — during long bike rides. For some, the answer is
      simple: Sit on the seat, not the handlebars.
      For others, the solution might require a little more work. Assuming you've already confirmed that your bike fits properly (poor bike
      fit can contribute to back and knee pain), you might take a lesson from a study presented at the American College of Sports
      Medicine's annual conference in early June. That research shows that core strength — strength of the abdominal, oblique and back
      muscles — is key for cyclists who want to pedal strong for long distances.
      The study examined 15 competitive cyclists ages 23 to 45 who completed a series of cycling exercises at a University of Pittsburgh
      research facility, then returned a week later for a regimen of core-fatiguing exercises followed by another cycling workout. The
      results: Core fatigue resulted in altered cycling mechanics — namely, adjustments in knee and ankle position — as the participants
      tried to maintain pedal force.
      Those adjustments, which recreational and competitive cyclists make automatically in response to core fatigue, could be at the root
      of many riders' complaints, said John Abt, the study's lead researcher and a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Pittsburgh's
      Center for Sports Medicine. "If you are continually fatigued or weak, you are setting yourself up for the potential for injury."
      Abt said his findings apply to recreational cyclists — especially weekend warriors, "people who ride 20 or 30 minutes on an exercise
      cycle a couple days a week (and) then go out on a Saturday and try to go for four hours with their friends."
      The core is the powerhouse for all of your extremities, Abt explained, and cyclists with weak or tired cores tend to "flap their
      legs," introducing a sideways, semicircular motion instead of the more efficient up-and-down motion. "This results in abnormal
      tracking of the patella on the femur," Abt said. Over time, that could cause knee injury.
      Back pain occurs usually after significant distance when the core is too exhausted to power the legs and keep the rest of the body
      in proper alignment.
      How to strengthen your core? Alas, this will sound familiar: crunches, back extensions (essentially upside-down sit-ups using gym
      gear, where you bend forward from the waist and lift your torso back up using your lower back muscles), lat pull-downs and other
      core builders. For the thoroughly unconditioned, Abt recommends starting with one to two sets (10 each) of basic crunches a few
      times a week combined with simple back exercises twice a week.
      For people who have established some core power, Abt recommends two to three weekly workouts using a stability ball. Circuit
      training also employs core muscles; two to three sessions a week should keep most recreational cyclists fit for riding.

      * The Claim: Exercise Is the Best Way to Strengthen Abdominal Muscles
      THE FACTS Watch any infomercial promoting the latest abdominal machine and you will hear a spandex-clad salesman claim that if you
      practice one simple exercise, a six-pack will emerge within weeks.
      Really? But while Americans spend more than $100 million on abdominal exercisers every year - and of course do countless hours of
      crunches and sit-ups - studies suggest that the best route to a washboard stomach does not involve abdominal training alone.
      Most abdominal exercises help strengthen the muscles but have little effect on fat deposits that sit above them. And, liposuction
      notwithstanding, there is no way to "spot-reduce" stomach fat, just as doing side leg lifts will not trim fat from the hips.
      The best regimen for defined abs, research suggests, combines dieting and plenty of cardiovascular exercise - to streamline overall
      body fat - with the usual abdominal workouts.
      And those expensive devices advertised on television? A recent study by researchers at Kansas State University found that they might
      not be worth the enormous sums of money Americans spend on them.
      The study, published last year, had a group of 23 men and women in college exercise with various devices - an abdominal "roller" and
      an abdominal "slider," among others - while electrodes measured the stimulation to their abdominal muscles. The study found that, on
      average, the products elicited no greater muscle activity than traditional crunches.
      And two of the devices, an ab "slide" and a type of Swiss ball called "FitBall," caused more activity in the hip flexors than in the
      stomach, "an undesirable feature of abdominal exercises," the study said.
      THE BOTTOM LINE Doing abdominal exercises alone is not the best way to improve your stomach muscles.

      * Featured Work Out- Plyo Jumps
      Plyometrics involves quick, strong muscular contractions to build speed and power. Power and speed are, of course, is very crucial
      to running and cycling. Your foot must forcefully contact the ground to produce run speed, and forcefully push on the pedals to
      produce power.
      Plyo jumps are a plyometric exercise that produces force in a manner similar to cycling and running. Start with a riser or step
      12-16" above the ground. Place your right foot on the step. Make sure your posture is erect, back strait and core muscles tight.
      Forcefully step upwards using the ball of your right foot, pushing and projecting yourself towards the ceiling. As you start to come
      down you will switch feet in the air and place your left (opposite) foot on the step and landing with your right foot.
      Get into a rhythm as if you were running or cycling; left foot push, left foot down, right foot push, right foot down. It is very
      important that you brake your motion on the downward (loading) phase. Concentrate on projecting your motion forcefully upwards and
      then coming down slow and controlled. Do not land on a strait leg. Keep a slight bend in your knee and soften the impact.
      Plyometrics is productive but stressful to the body. Add plyo jumps in gradually no more than 2x per week.
      From the Sports Factory

      * Ask Coach Watson: Fat loading
      by Lance Watson
      Coach Watson,
      Should Ironman triathletes attempt fat-loading?
      Regards,
      Roscoe Edwards

      Roscoe,
      Given the popularity of carbohydrate-loading, some athletes have also turned to fat-loading, believing that loading up on fats the
      week before an event can boost endurance performance. There have since been a number of studies that looked into the effects of
      high-fat diets for endurance athletes. The results indicate that while increased dietary fat can change fuel utilization during
      exercise, time to exhaustion remained unaffected.
      The downsides of a high-fat diet include increased blood cholesterol, increased risk of cardiovascular disease over the long term
      and increased difficulty with digestion in the short term, as well as the potential detrimental effects of lower glycogen
      utilization on higher-intensity training, which relies more heavily on glycogen for fuel.
      For these reasons I recommend that endurance athletes avoid diets high in fat, and instead stick to a more traditional diet high in
      carbohydrates with moderate amounts of protein and healthy fats, such as omega-3.
      -- Lance Watson

      * Fad Burner
      By Chris Carmichael
      Can you hear the silence? We're in a lull between diet fads. Enjoy it while it lasts, because the next hot diet will probably appear
      within months, killing off the previous rage and, unfortunately, any sound nutritional advice it might have contained.
      In the wake of fat, carbs, proteins, and zones, the next contender is likely to be a low-glycemic-index diet. But as fads go, this
      one actually has the potential to be good for you. The diet, which focuses on maintaining steady blood-sugar levels, prescribes more
      whole foods and less added sugar. It has a balance of carbohydrate, protein, and fat, and it's high in fiber, vitamins, and
      minerals. In other words, it's a move toward healthy, balanced eating—the same old program with a new wrap<br/><br/>(Message over 64 KB, truncated)