Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest - August 5, 2005

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2005
      those of the Runner's Web. To comment on any stories in the Digest visit our Forum at:
      http://excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=4655
      The Original Runner's and Triathlete's Web was founded in January of 1997 and is not in any way associated with the two UK "Runner's
      Web" copycat sites or the Runner's Web Book Store in the USA.
      Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out our daily news,
      features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more. General questions should be posted to one of our forums available from our
      FrontPage.

      SUPPORT OUR ADVERTISERS:

      1. Runner's Web Online Store:
      Through a partnership with HDO Sports, the Runner's and Triathlete's Web has opened an online store. Check it out for your shopping
      requirements. Provide us with your feedback.
      http://store.runnersweb.com

      http://www.roadrunnersports.com/cgi-bin/rrs/rrs/rrHome.jsp?sc=CBM-00105&prfc=1

      3. Toronto Waterfront Marathon. September 25, 2005:
      http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/

      4. Sof Sole Offer:
      A free pair of our technical socks ($9.99 value) with the purchase of any Sof Sole insole.
      http://www.sofsole.com/pages/promo/rwebsockoffer.html

      5. The Toronto Marathon
      http://www.torontomarathon.com

      Shopping on the internet?
      Check out the Summer Specials at our online store (in partnership with HDO Sport).
      http://store.runnersweb.com/

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS:
      This newsletter has been composed using Outlook set to "Plain Text" format. The Digest is sent via an email list at
      http://groups.yahoo.com
      If you experience any delays in receiving your copy of the Digest, please advise us at:
      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for viruses. Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor
      (me) prior to being released to the group. If you have any questions regarding the options available for receiving this digest,
      mailto:Webmaster@...
      NOTE
      **[ Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two lines. If you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you paste
      the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or another appropriate suffix ].
      Note: An increasing number of media sites require free registration. If you wish to sign up for free access to sources for our
      articles without using your main email address we suggest the use of a mail alias program such as http://www.emailias.com

      THIS WEEK:
      The Runner's Web Online Storefront has added LOCO shoes to their inventory. Check them out at:
      http://store.runnersweb.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=252

      Webmasters
      Get our Syndicated headlines for you site.
      Add the Runner's Web News feed to your site through a simple JavaScript. Check out OnTri.com's implementation at:
      http://www.ontri.com/runnersweb.html
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is now available through an RSS feed for myYahoo at:
      http://e.my.yahoo.com/config/cstore?.opt=content&.url=http%3a//rss.groups.yahoo.\com/group/RunnersWeb/rss

      If anyone is looking for a web mail provider, you might wish to consider Google's GMail. Currently you can get GMail by invitation
      only from a current user. My stock of "invites" has been replenished. If you are interested in getting FREE GMail account, contact
      me at: mailto:kparker@....

      Microsoft(r) Alerts on RunnersWeb.com Inc.
      RunnersWeb.com Inc. now offers Microsoft(r) Alerts! This service lets you receive important messages through your MSN(r) Messenger
      or Windows(r) Messenger, your e-mail, or your mobile device. You can choose how and when you receive these messages by specifying
      your preferences during the easy setup process. Sign up at:
      http://www.messagecast.net/alerts/login.do?PINID=2598&returnURL=http://www.runne\rsweb.com

      We have 1,354 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe. at:

      Race Directors:
      Advertise your event on the Runner's Web. Over 1.8 MILLION visits in 2004!
      68% increase in visitors in first 6 months of 2005!
      Averaging over 8200 visitors per day for July 2005.

      For text ads check out our AdBrite partnership at:
      http://www.adbrite.com/mb/commerce/purchase_form.php?opid=15182&afsid=1

      Runner's and Triathlete's Web Content Partners:

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey.
      Sheila is one of Ottawa's top multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public
      Health and works in the field of nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the University of California, San Diego. Her
      column index is available at:

      * Carmichael Training Systems
      Carmichael Training Systems was founded in 1999 by Chris Carmichael.
      From the beginning, the mission of the company has been to improve the lives of individuals we work with through the application of
      proper and effective fitness and competitive training techniques. Whether your focus is recreational, advanced, or you are a
      professional racer, the coaching methodology employed by CTS will make you a better athlete. Check the latest monthly column from
      CTS at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/cts_columns.html.

      * Running Research News
      Running Research News is a monthly newsletter which keeps sports-active people up-to-date on the latest information about
      training, sports nutrition, and sports medicine. RRN publishes practical, timely new material which improves workouts, prevents
      injuries, and heightens overall fitness. Check our latest column from Running Research News at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RRN_index.html
      On January 7th we started a new feature on the website - A Question and Answer with Owen Anderson from Running Research News.
      Send in your training related questions for Owen to answer to
      mailto:webmaster@...?subject=Owen_Anderson
      Check out the questions and answers from the Q and A Index page at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RRN_AskOwen_index.html

      * Peak Performance Online
      Peak Performance is a subscription-only newsletter for athletes, featuring the latest research from the sports science world. We
      cover the whole range of sports, from running and rowing to cycling and swimming, and each issue is packed full of exclusive
      information for anyone who's serious about sport. It's published 16 times a year, including four special reports, by Electric Word
      plc. Peak Performance is not available in the shops - only our subscribers are able to access the valuable information we publish
      Check out our latest article from Peak Performance Online at:

      * Peak Running Performance
      Peak Running Performance Is The Number 1 Technical Running Newsletter In America! Check out their article index at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/PRP_index.html.

      * WatsonLifeSport
      Lance Watson is "Just The Winningest Coach in Triathlon". He has been coaching triathlon and distance running since 1987. Over the
      years, Lance has coached some of the most successful athletes in the sport of triathlon and duathlon.
      Check out the Lance Watson Online Article Index at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/LW_index.html

      This Weeks Personal Postings/Releases:
      We have NO personal postings this week.

      THIS WEEK'S DIGEST ARTICLE INDEX:

      1. Science of Sport: Patellar tendinitis: why patellar tendinitis is usually the wrong diagnosis for patellar tendon pain, and how
      to banish patellar tendon pain
      2. Multisport: Make your first triathlon season a fun experience
      3. Science of Sport: Sport Psychology - The importance of attributions – or how to learn from success and failure alike.
      4. Joe Henderson's Running Commentary - Pick Your Pace
      5. Finding their strength
      Women learn how to work with weights efficiently and smoothly.
      6. Carbohydrate-Gate
      Recent reports may have you thinking that carbohydrates are scandalously bad. Think again.
      7. Sportsmedicine: Side Stitches - Causes, Prevention and Treatment
      8. Soft Drink Sweetener May Add Extra Fat
      Fructose May Alter Metabolism to Add Body Fat.
      9. Cycling: What's in a Wheel?
      The best wheels for different competitions.
      10. From Runner's World
      11. Maximising Performance
      The specific nutritional requirements of athletes depend on many factors, including the type of sport, the intensity, duration and
      frequency. Moreover individual preferences and aversions have to be taken into account.
      12. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine
      13. Sports Nutrition: Pre-Race Nutrition...What to Eat before Endurance Events
      14. Multisport: Recovery Training - Chapter Two
      Monitoring Adaptive Responses.
      15. Your Body Is Younger Than You Think
      16. Vitamin E Fails to Deliver on Early Promise
      17. Using Hormones for Sport
      18. The Long Run IS Your Marathon Training Program!
      Whatever your goal, the long run will help you more than any component of your running program.
      19. Overreaching and Overtraining in Endurance Athletes
      20. No pain, no gain? Healing sports injuries
      The Energy Effect.
      21. Play it Safe When Recovering From an Injury
      22. Stress Test Gauges Women's Risk of Death From Heart Disease
      23. Yoga May Help Minimize Weight Gain in Middle Age
      24. Five mental skills to boost performance
      25. See You In Canadian Athletes Fund

      RUNNER'S WEB WEEKLY POLL:
      "What is your level of interest in the Athletics World Championships being held in Helsinki, Finland from August 6th to 14th?"

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage as well as voting on and/or checking the results of previous polls.
      Post your views in our Forum at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/runnersweb_forum.html
      [Free Registration Required]

      Last week's poll was: " Do you think it is reasonable that many Canadian athletes must pay their own expenses to world championship
      events where they represent their country?"
      The results at publication time were:
      Answers Votes Percent
      . No 51 65%
      2. Yes 25 32%
      3. No opinion, don't care 2 3%

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE WEEK:
      Conrad Stoltz, XTERRA Triathlete.
      "Welcome to the official website of South African XTERRA triathlete phenomena, Conrad Stoltz.
      To gain a perspective, the XTERRA events (sponsored by Nissan) are essentially triathlons featuring an open water swim, mountain
      bike, and field run in extreme terrain conditions. Conrad's success places him in elite status as one of the most talented and
      respected athletes in this event. As XTERRA becomes more and more popular throughout the world, the competition continues to grow
      and get better. Conrad remains at the top of the pack.
      This is where you find the latest news & journal and photos about Conrad, his racing, his world-class equipment, and the exciting
      world of XTERRA. "
      Visit Conrad's site at:
      http://www.conradstoltz.com

      Send us your suggestions for our Five Star site. Please check our list of previous Five Star Sites available from the Five Star
      Window under the link "Previous Five Star Sites" as we do not wish to repeat a site unless it has undergone a major redesign.

      If you feel you have something to say that is worthy of a Guest Column on the Runner's Web, email us at
      mailto:webmaster@... or leave your comments in one of our Forums at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/forum.html or from our FrontPage.

      BOOK OF THE WEEK:
      Healing Injuries the Natural Way : How to Mend Bones, Muscles, Tendons and More (Paperback)
      by Michelle Schoffro Cook "Because the bones in our bodies are not visible to us, instead of valuing the important role they play in
      our overall health we tend..."
      From a "critical reviewer:
      I've been through it all. My low back pain didn't respond to the physiotherapist. My primary care didn't think it to be HIS problem.
      After weeks of complaints he finally passed me on to the orthopedic guy who wanted to fuse all of my spine bones. The second opinion
      of the neurosurgeon was to do nothing at all. Then I was back at square one until I read this book. Michelle's guidance and calm
      reassurance pointed me in directions I had never considered. I don't believe in magic and I think that most of the things that my
      friends and my doc says are crap, but Michelle got me through the worse times of my life. GET THIS BOOK IF YOU HURT!!!!! My review
      could have been THAT short."

      Buy the book from Amazon at:
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1412030056/runnersweb/102-0182896-9006569?v=glance&s=books

      Previous Books of the Week:
      From Human Kinetics,
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html"
      From Amazon
      More running and triathlon books from Associates Shop
      http://associatesshop.filzhut.de/shop/index.php?ID=90c9f271c1a519abc4a69299be7075a9

      THIS WEEK'S NEWS:

      1. Science of Sport: Patellar tendinitis: why patellar tendinitis is usually the wrong diagnosis for patellar tendon pain, and how
      to banish patellar tendon pain:
      The patellar tendon is the structure lying below the kneecap (patella) attaching the quadriceps muscle to the tibia. Through the
      patellar tendon the quadriceps contraction allows the knee to extend or straighten. It is thought that the patella is a bone
      thickening (sesamoid bone) in the quadriceps tendon. Occasionally the patella itself can be two, three or even four discrete
      sesamoids, which can be associated with problems behind the patella.
      Patellar tendon pain can occur in a number of different sports, most commonly in those that load the area (eg, weightlifting) but
      also in jumping sports and those that produce significant deceleration forces through the tendon, eg, basketball, squash, fencing,
      jumpers and field sports with high traction forces (such as hockey played on Astroturf). All patellar tendon pain was once referred
      to as ‘jumper’s knee’.
      In the early stages of patellar tendinitis the most common symptom is tenderness over the bottom (the ‘lower pole’) of the patella.
      This tenderness is more usually felt after exercise and the athlete often finds it uncomfortable to squat or kneel. In my experience
      it is more common in the dominant leg and generally more common in men. As the problem evolves the athlete develops pain during
      exercise. The pain can become continuous both at rest and during training; unfortunately it is only at this later stage that
      athletes tend to seek medical advice.
      More...from the Runner's Web at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news/rw_news_20050804_PPO_Patellar_Tendinitis.html

      2. Multisport: Make your first triathlon season a fun experience:
      By Lance Watson.
      Perhaps you fantasize about crossing that storied finish line at Ironman Hawaii on Alii Drive. Well, what once might have been
      considered a strange dream is now the goal of thousands who are thinking about doing their first triathlon. With the booming growth
      of Ironman races and the spectacular introduction of triathlon to the Olympics, our sport has grown in leaps and bounds --
      especially in North America. Today, there are more people training for and competing in triathlon than ever before.
      But from the outset, it is important that you relish the experience. Triathlon is a lifestyle - as much a social gathering as it is
      a race, and for the first time you should treat it as such. Don't place unrealistic expectations on yourself. The following are some
      basic suggestions that will help you put your first few races under your belt with as few surprises as possible - except for how
      well you are going to do.
      Choose your weapon Where do you want to test the multisport waters? This can be at a local race, or you may want to jump into a
      national event such as Mrs.T's in Chicago. Just make sure that it is something that excites and motivates you. Look for an
      appropriate race, but don't tarry - many of the popular events are filling up very quickly. But that said, be sure to pick a race at
      least three months away so that you have time to prepare.
      More...from the Runner's Web at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news/rw_news_20050731_LW_First_Triathlon.html

      3. Science of Sport: Sport Psychology - The importance of attributions – or how to learn from success and failure alike:
      One of the most thought-provoking and imaginative sport psychology book titles I have seen recently is Susan Halden-Brown’s Mistakes
      worth making(1). For me, this title captures the essence of positive thinking and optimism, characteristics that can become
      important companions on the journey towards peak performance. I have always believed that occasional failures are a natural part of
      the learning process, since I have yet to meet a sports performer who has never experienced setbacks.
      In order to learn from mistakes and failures, it is important to be able to assess what has happened objectively. But this is less
      easy than it sounds since the emotions connected with both success and disappointments can cloud our judgement and compromise our
      objectivity.
      Sport psychology has often (rather unkindly in my view) been described as ‘the science of stating the obvious’, so you would think I
      hardly need elaborate on the importance of reflection and evaluation to the readers of Peak Performance. When we compete against
      others, or against our own standards, the consequences of what sport psychologists call ‘achievement strivings’ are quite naturally
      going to provoke evaluation when the outcomes are very important to the individual. In such situations, people naturally strive to
      make sense of what has happened to them. The problem is not about persuading coaches and athletes to reflect on and evaluate their
      successes and failures but ensuring this is done in an objective manner.
      More...from the Runner's Web at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news/rw_news_20050731_PPO_Psychology.html

      4. Joe Henderson's Running Commentary - Pick Your Pace:
      My second Marathon Team of the year is well into its training now for the Portland Marathon. The questions that the first group
      asked are replaying regularly again.
      Among the most popular requests is, "How fast should I train on the long runs?" My answer isn't the same one I would have given
      before working with Marathon Team One.
      You could check what I said then. It's in Marathon & Beyond magazine for March-April 2005: "Run a minute or two per mile slower than
      projected marathon pace."
      A runner named Rebecca from Team Two had heard similar advice. "I have read every book I can find about training," she said, "and
      there's something I don't understand. Why, as the books say, should the long run be so much slower than your pace for the marathon?
      "I figured out that I could probably run a marathon in about 4:30 [10:20 pace], and so my long runs should be no faster than
      11-minute miles. That feels excruciatingly slow."
      Then she popped that big question: "What should the pace be for my long runs in preparation for the marathon?"
      Rebecca didn't get the sound-bite answer she wanted. My explanation was multi-parted. The first part was that slower-than-race-pace
      training works best for faster runners who have higher racing gears available to them.
      I could average 90 seconds per mile faster than training pace for my early marathons in the three-hour range because I'd go faster
      yet in shorter races. But when the marathon times later reached four hours or more, I'd lost the higher gears and now trained for
      and completed marathons at about the same pace.
      My second answer to Rebecca addressed the common mistake of calculating bass-ackward. Runners set a marathon time goal, then try to
      train at that pace. It seldom fits them because the goal -- qualifying for Boston, breaking a round-number time -- has little to do
      with current fitness realities.
      More...from Joe Henderson at:
      http://www.joehenderson.com/archive/520.html

      5. Finding their strength:
      Women learn how to work with weights efficiently and smoothly.
      Lisa Ravenholt, 50 and petite, can leg-lift 510 pounds. She can do so gracefully and repeatedly. In a way, she is innately gifted
      for this. A former professional dancer, Ravenholt believes she is able to recruit strength from throughout her body.
      So in some respects, she is freakish.
      Yet, while her capability is unusual, her motives and goals are in line with an increasing number of women who are turning to weight
      training to help improve their health, fitness and function.
      "Being strong has been vital not only to my self-image, but also to my survival," Ravenholt says. "With a history of osteoporosis in
      my family tree, I believe strength-training to be my first line of defense."
      And as a landscaper, she wants to be able to lug heavy stones.
      Still, undercurrents persist: "I don't want to get big" or "it takes too long" or "I want to lose weight, not gain it" or "I'll get
      hurt."
      Experts counter all these complaints. They say you probably won't get big unless that's your goal -- and even then you might not.
      Getting hurt is a legitimate concern, but proper training and form will diminish the risk, and well-developed muscles generally
      protect your body from injury.
      More...from the Indy Star at:
      http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050731/LIVING/507310369

      6. Carbohydrate-Gate:
      Recent reports may have you thinking that carbohydrates are scandalously bad. Think again.
      If "image is everything," as a popular TV commercial contends, then carbohydrates are in need of a good P.R. firm. Long considered a
      runner's best friend, carbohydrates are getting a lot of negative publicity these days.
      What's behind all these carb barbs? Americans are being led to believe that their ever-widening waistlines are the direct result of
      eating too many carbohydrates, and not enough protein or fat. In other words: Protein and fat--good. Carbohydrates--bad. Of course,
      this is nonsense.
      Rather, carbohydrates, protein, and fat are all good in the correct proportions. And when a runner friend of mine recently told me
      he had decided to switch his postrun snack from fresh fruit to beef jerky in order to "avoid those heavy carbs," I knew it was time
      to set the record straight.
      So here's the real deal on how much of the big three nutrients you need in your diet to help you lose weight, get healthier, and run
      better.
      More...from Runner's World at:
      http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,5033,s1-53-84-0-5004,00.html

      7. Sportsmedicine: Side Stitches - Causes, Prevention and Treatment:
      A side stitch, also known as exercise related transient abdominal pain (ETAP), is one of the most annoying and painful conditions
      suffered by participants of sport and exercise. Although not considered a true sports injury, it has been estimated that 70% of
      regular runners suffered from a side stitch in the last 12 months.
      A side stitch causes an intense, stabbing pain under the lower edge of the ribcage and although it can occur on both sides of the
      abdomen, research has found that it occurs more frequently on the right side.
      The pain is usually brought on by vigorous exercise and activity. Side stitches occur more frequently in sports that require a lot
      of up and down movement, like running, jumping and horse riding. They also occur more frequently in novice or amateur athletes.
      More...from the Runner's Web at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news/rw_news_20050801_TSH_Side_Stitch.html

      8. Soft Drink Sweetener May Add Extra Fat:
      Fructose May Alter Metabolism to Add Body Fat.
      A sweetener commonly used in soft drinks and other foods may lead to more body fat than drinks sweetened with plain sugar.
      A new study suggests that fructose may alter the body's metabolism in a way that prompts it to store body fat.
      Researchers say the findings may help explain the recently established link between rising soft drink popularity and obesity rates
      in the U.S. and other parts of the world.
      "Our study shows how fat mass increases as a direct consequence of soft drink consumption," says researcher Matthias Tschöp, MD,
      associate professor of psychiatry at the University of Cincinnati, in a news release.
      Fructose is a sweetener found naturally in fruits and honey and is widely used as a sweetener in soft drinks, fruit juices, and
      cereal. In soft drinks, fructose is usually found in the form of high-fructose corn syrup, which contains 55% fructose.
      More...from WebMD at:
      http://my.webmd.com/content/article/109/109250?src=RSS_PUBLIC

      9. Cycling: What's in a Wheel?
      The best wheels for different competitions.
      By: Hoyt Halvorson
      How important are wheels when it comes to bike racing? Some old school cyclists are convinced that equipment is unimportant. It’s
      all about the rider. Ultimately, the strength of the rider is far more important than any other factor. However, once a cyclist is
      at the physical level that allows her to compete, choosing the best equipment can greatly impact success in certain events. At the
      very least, she won’t be at a disadvantage. In making wise choices concerning wheels, there are three critical issues: weight,
      aerodynamics, and lateral and torsional stiffness. These three issues are involved in making the right wheel decision for the
      different road disciplines: Time Trial, Road Race and Criterium.
      Of the three disciplines, Time Trial owes modern technology the biggest pat on the back. It’s just you against the wind, and for
      that reason, aerodynamic equipment helps a great deal. Because of advances in carbon fiber technology, Time trialists brag of speeds
      never seen before. In a flat time trial, there is no question of the fastest wheel combination. Millions of dollars have been spent
      testing riders in wind tunnels. Lance spent the winter at the University of Washington wind tunnel while Ivan Basso was at MIT with
      CSC and Cervelo. Both teams of experts came to the same conclusion. In a flat Time Trial, there is no better option than a rear disc
      with a front tri-spoke or at very least a deep section front wheel of a minimum of 38mm dish. The only variation on this is during
      races with strong crosswinds. Then the tri-spoke may not be the best option. In that situation, it would be better to choose a wheel
      with a low spoke count and a low-profile box rim. Weight is of little consequence. Acceleration is not as important. Once you get
      the bike rolling, it’s all about aerodynamics. Therefore, the idea is to get the air by you as quickly and cleanly as possible.
      Keeping air from getting hung up on the bike is the whole idea. A disc is perfect, because air passes right by with the least amount
      of drag to the rider. One might bring up the issue of side-wind that would make a disc unsuitable, but only in extreme situations
      would a rider face such conditions.
      More...from the Runner's Web at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news/rw_CTS_20050801_Wheel.html

      10. From Runner's World:
      * Coach's Corner
      "Perhaps you've used the "I'm not fast" or the "I don't have a competitive chromosome in my body" excuse. Don't let excuses keep you
      from racing. You can--and should--race. Whether you have a time goal in mind or just want to get to the finish line, racing lets you
      gather with energetic, supportive people. Racing will motivate you to train better. It will inspire you to run more races." -Jeff
      Galloway
      * Injury Prevention
      Cool Down Your Toes: If your feet swell or get overheated when you run, consider applying ice or soaking your feet in cold water
      immediately afterward. Adding Epsom salts to the cold water helps some runners, but the downside of using salts is that, if
      overused, they can make your feet too dry.
      * Performance Nutrition
      Figs: Taste for yourself why figs were Cleopatra's favorite fruit. Fresh figs have a creamy, melt-in-your-mouth texture and a subtly
      sweet flavor. But it's their rich nutrient content that should solidify their place on your table. Each large fig has just 47
      calories and barely a trace of fat or sodium. Five figs--a nice breakfast or dessert serving--contain 10.6 grams of fiber (more than
      twice as much as 1 cup of raspberries); 742 milligrams of potassium (more than an extra-large banana); 112 mg of calcium (equal to
      1/2 c milk); 54 mg of magnesium (about the same as 2 pieces of whole wheat bread); 1.2 mg of iron (same as 3/4 c of raw spinach) and
      B vitamins, vitamin A, and folate.
      * Words That Inspire:
      "There is moderation even in excess." -Benjamin Disraeli, 19th Century British prime minister
      * Editor's Advice:
      "Running your first fall marathon? Don't worry about the actual mileage of your long run as much as the time you spend on your feet.
      You should eventually be able to do a long run that approaches the same length of time that you expect to run in the marathon. Even
      if you're planning on a 4- or 5-hour marathon, try to work up to 80 percent of that for your long run." -Richetta Coelho, RW
      editorial intern
      * Training Talk:
      "Regardless of your personal running goals, during the heat of the summer, the body's number one goal is self-preservation. If you
      ignore that, you won't meet your goals. Runners should plan their running routes carefully, respect the heat and sun during the
      middle of the day, and drink before, during, and after running." -From How to Train by Hal Higdon

      11. Maximising Performance:
      The specific nutritional requirements of athletes depend on many factors, including the type of sport, the intensity, duration and
      frequency. Moreover individual preferences and aversions have to be taken into account.
      It is well-recognized that an excellent nutritional status is a prerequisite for athletic performance at the highest levels. It is
      the aim of this article to give an overview of the generally accepted views about optimal nutrition for sports people and to address
      particularly the measures that are indicated to meet the specific needs of athletes. The specific nutritional requirements of
      athletes depend on many factors, including the type of sport, the intensity, duration and frequency. Moreover individual preferences
      and aversions have to be taken into account.
      Creating Balance
      Maintenance of energy balance at the desirable body weight is a prerequisite for physical performance. Sports related physical
      activity increase the energy requirements and may lead to a negative energy balance. A continuing negative energy balance may result
      in loss of energy stores and even muscle mass and decreased performance. Whereas sedentary adults with light to moderate physical
      activity display energy expenditures in the order of 8.5 to 12.0 MJ per day, athletes may spend an additional 2-4 MJ per hour of
      exercise depending on the duration and intensity of the exercise in training and competition. It is essential to restore energy
      stores of glycogen in muscles and liver and of fat in the adipose tissue. Restoration of energy stores is also essential to
      neutralise the decrease of the activity of the immune system, which results from the exercise stress (3).
      More...from Food Ingredients First at:
      http://www.foodingredientsfirst.com/newsmaker_article.asp?fSite=AR283&nw=hd&size=ld&sno=1&main_page=1&id=191
      [Long URL]

      12. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine:
      * High Blood Pressure and Lifestyle
      The current guidelines state that high blood pressure is any value over 120 when the heart contracts and over 80 when it relaxes.
      Ninety-one percent of Americans will suffer from high blood pressure, which causes heart attacks, strokes, and kidney damage. To
      reduce this frighteningly high incidence of this silent killer, The American College of Sports Medicine recommends that every able
      person start an exercise program (Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, November, 2004). Certain conditions may temporarily
      preclude exercising, so check with your doctor.
      Anything that expands blood volume will raise blood pressure. Diuretics lower blood volume and are therefore the most effective
      medication for lowering high blood pressure. However, diuretics tire you earlier during exercise because dehydration is a major
      cause of fatigue. Vigorous, prolonged exercise also dehydrates you and can lower blood pressure for 24 hours or more after you
      stop exercising.
      Full fat cells raise blood pressure. When your heart contracts, it pushes a huge amount of blood into your main artery called the
      aorta. The aorta is supposed to widen and accept the surge of blood that comes with each beat. If the aorta is stiff, it does not
      expand adequately and blood pressure rises too high. When you are overweight, full fat cells release inflammatory hormones that
      stiffen the aorta and raise blood pressure. Exercise is a vital part of any successful program to lose weight and keep it off.
      If you have high blood pressure, your doctor will probably recommend medication. However, more than 80 percent of hypertensives can
      have their blood pressure controlled just with diet and exercise. To see if you fall in this group, try my SHOW ME diet for two
      weeks: http://www.drmirkin.com/recipes/showme.html
      For more on controlling blood pressure with diet see http://www.drmirkin.com/heart/8614.html and other reports in the Heart Health
      section of www.drmirkin.com

      * Dear Dr. Mirkin: What's the best treatment for elbow pain?
      If you have pain on the tendons attaching at your elbow, you may have tennis elbow, damage to these tendons. Place your hand and
      arm on the table with your palm facing up. If your elbow hurts when you try to raise your fist by bending you wrist, you probably
      have forehand tennis elbow. If the same maneuver hurts when your palm is down, you probably have backhand tennis elbow. The odds
      are overwhelming that your orthopedist will try to inject cortisone-type drugs into that tendon, and you may feel better for a few
      weeks. However, at six months, it won't
      make any difference whether you received the injection or not. Cortisone gives you only short term freedom from pain. Treatment is
      to strengthen the tendon by lifting very light and then progressively heavier weights.

      * How to Strengthen Your Heart
      Fitness refers to your heart muscle. The stronger your heart, the more fit you are. The only stimulus that makes any muscle
      stronger is to exercise that muscle against increasing resistance. To make your skeletal muscles stronger, you have to lift heavier
      weights or press against greater resistance in any weight-bearing exercise. The only way that you can strengthen your heart muscle
      is to exercise against greater resistance also.
      When you use your legs, your leg muscles squeeze blood from the veins near them toward your heart. Then, when your leg muscles
      relax, the veins near them fill with blood. This alternate contraction and relaxation of your leg muscles acts as a second heart
      pushing huge amounts of blood towards your heart. To pump the extra blood from your legs to your heart and then to your body, your
      heart muscle has to squeeze harder and faster. The harder you exercise, the more blood is pumped by your legs to your heart, and in
      turn, the harder your heart has to work to
      push it out towards your body, so your heart has to beat faster and with more force to do more work.
      Fitness is determined more by how hard you exercise than by how long you exercise. Exercising at a casual pace does not do much to
      strengthen either your heart or your skeletal muscles. When you work harder, more blood returns to your heart, and this increased
      amount of blood fills the inside of your heart and stretches it, so your heart has to pump against greater resistance and the heart
      muscle becomes stronger.

      * Dear Dr. Mirkin: Does everyone need to drink eight glasses of water a day?
      Drinking lots of water just means you will spend a lot of time running to the bathroom. All foods contain water, and all food is
      converted to energy, carbon dioxide and water. You can get most of the fluid the body needs from food, and you only need to drink
      enough water to prevent constipation.
      When you eat, the pyloric valve at the end of your stomach closes to keep food in the stomach. Then the stomach takes fluid that you
      drink and food that you eat and mixes them into a soup. Then the soup passes to the intestines and remains a soup until it reaches
      your colon. Only then is the fluid absorbed to turn the soup into solid waste in the colon. If you do not have enough fluid in your
      body, your body extracts extra fluid from your stool, which makes it hard and can cause constipation.
      A reasonable amount for a healthy human is one cup of water or any other fluid with each meal. If you have a problem with
      constipation you may not be drinking enough water (see http://www.drmirkin.com/morehealth/G211.htm), but if you are not constipated,
      you are getting plenty. You'll also want to replace fluids whenever you sweat a lot, particularly when you exercise or in hot
      weather. Drink water whenever you feel thirsty, but there's no benefit from forcing yourself to drink eight glasses of water a day.

      13. Sports Nutrition: Pre-Race Nutrition...What to Eat before Endurance Events:
      Distance Dieting
      Whether you’re walking or running a marathon or participating in any long distance running event such as the Ironman, you need to
      build up an energy reserve—a suitcase of muscle energy to fuel your body for the long run. The major difference between the type and
      amount of energy that you’ll need for these events is your body size, your fitness level, your % body fat/lean muscle mass, and the
      intensity, your racing effort. All of these factors will impact the calories you burn while enduring your event.
      Race day nutrition issues can stem from pre-event nutrition, race fuel choices, fluid replenishment or lack there of, or race
      stress—that impacts overall how well you digest and metabolize food and fluid during the race.
      The best way to prepare for an Ironman or marathon nutritionally is to plan in advance.
      · Three months out, start a training diet—find out what your energy needs are for training and competition and start an eating
      program to help you strive towards that plan. Since it’s a process, allow yourself 4 to 6 weeks to become accustomed to distance
      event eating which is different than any other training diet.
      · One month out—experiment with race fluids, bars and gels under a variety of conditions— pre training, high intensity workouts,
      recovery. Try to purchase the fuels that will be available to you on race day so your system can adapt to any differences in your
      preferred fuels. Although listen up. Take your own favorite foods and fluids to your race, and if traveling, take your goodies in
      your carry-on baggage. FYI—my bike and drinks were lost on the way to the World Long Distance Duathlon Championships in Denmark last
      year…with only a borrowed bike, I managed to get through the race on my training diet, and a few bars, gels, and drink mixes I
      stocked for the airplane.
      More...from the Runner's Web at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news/rw_news_20050803_LD_IM_Nutrition.html

      14. Multisport: Recovery Training - Chapter Two:
      Monitoring Adaptive Responses.
      Workloads need to be adjusted to the adaptation rates exhibited by each individual and the wise coach will gauge this by monitoring
      the athlete regularly. Observed coaching cues or signs that indicate how an athlete is coping with training should be recorded in a
      coaching logbook in conjunction with the prescribed training program. The coach’s observations should include both sport specific
      and generic cues. As the coach improves with experience the more astute he or she becomes at recognising these signs.
      More...from the Runner's Web at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news/rw_news_20050802_TSO_Recovery_Chapter2.html

      15. Your Body Is Younger Than You Think:
      Whatever your age, your body is many years younger. In fact, even if you're middle aged, most of you may be just 10 years old or
      less.
      This heartening truth, which arises from the fact that most of the body's tissues are under constant renewal, has been underlined by
      a novel method of estimating the age of human cells. Its inventor, Jonas Frisen, believes the average age of all the cells in an
      adult's body may turn out to be as young as 7 to 10 years.
      An Eye is Forever, but Is a Liver? But Dr. Frisen, a stem cell biologist at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, has also
      discovered a fact that explains why people behave their birth age, not the physical age of their cells: a few of the body's cell
      types endure from birth to death without renewal, and this special minority includes some or all of the cells of the cerebral
      cortex.
      It was a dispute over whether the cortex ever makes any new cells that got Dr. Frisen looking for a new way of figuring out how old
      human cells really are. Existing techniques depend on tagging DNA with chemicals but are far from perfect. Wondering if some natural
      tag might already be in place, Dr. Frisen recalled that the nuclear weapons tested above ground until 1963 had injected a pulse of
      radioactive carbon 14 into the atmosphere.
      More...from the New York Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/02/science/02cell.html?

      16. Vitamin E Fails to Deliver on Early Promise:
      In America even a vitamin can become an instant celebrity with its own die-hard fan base and publicity machine. Vitamin E shot to
      fame in the early 1990's, after two large survey studies noted that male and female health professionals who said they took a
      supplement of up to 400 international units of the vitamin every day seemed to go on to develop fewer cases of heart disease or
      cancer than their peers who were not taking the supplement.
      The number of Americans, cardiologists included, who gulped daily capsules of vitamin E suddenly surged, from relatively few in 1990
      to an estimated 23 million by 2000, according to an analysis published last month by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
      But in a flurry of strong follow-up studies published in the last few years, vitamin E has emerged as a sort of middle-aged, B-list
      actor not fulfilling its early promise. Increasingly, even many scientists and health advisory groups who say they still have high
      hopes for the vitamin as it occurs naturally in vegetable oils, nuts and leafy greens have begun to pan the pills, except for use by
      subgroups of patients with particular medical conditions.
      More...from the New York Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/02/science/02cons.html

      17. Using Hormones for Sport:
      While the controversy over performance-enhancing drugs in professional sports makes for good water cooler debate, these hormones can
      do more than pump up your muscles.
      Webcast Transcript
      ANNOUNCER: What makes one athlete superior to another? What allows an athlete to find the strength to run the extra mile or crack a
      ball clear out of the stadium? They have natural-born talent. It separates the average athletes from the great ones.
      But what if you can sharpen that competitive edge with performance-enhancing drugs?
      JEFFREY I. MECHANICK, MD: Whether you're talking about performance-enhancing drugs or dietary supplements, you're talking about
      substances that affect things like muscle strength, endurance, the ability to pump blood, the ability to breath, to oxygenate.
      ANNOUNCER: They are called "roids," "andro," "stacks," "juice."
      More...from the Denver Post at:
      http://denverpost.healthology.com/webcast_transcript.asp?b=denverpost&f=fitness&c=fitness_steroids&spg=FIF

      18. The Long Run IS Your Marathon Training Program!
      Whatever your goal, the long run will help you more than any component of your running program.
      By going slowly, you can burn more fat, push back your endurance barriers and run faster at shorter distance races.
      What is a long run?
      The long run starts with the longest distance you’ve covered within the last two weeks and increases by one mile on a weekly long
      one up to 10 miles. At that point, you’ll shift to running long every other weekend, increasing by two miles each time. Once you
      reach 18 miles, increase by three miles every third week.
      The mental benefits
      While there are significant and continuing physical benefits from running long runs regularly, the mental ones are greater. Each
      week, I hear from beginning marathoners after they have just run the longest run of their lives. This produces mental momentum,
      self-confidence and a positive attitude. By slowing the pace and taking walk breaks, you can also experience a series of victories
      over fatigue with almost no risk of injury.
      Pushing back your limits
      As you push a mile or three farther on each long one, you push back your endurance limit. It’s important to go slowly on each of
      these (at least two minutes per mile slower than you could run that distance on that day) to make it easy for your muscles to extend
      their current endurance limit. When it’s really hot and humid, for example, you’ll need to run two and a half or three minutes per
      mile slower.
      More...from Cool Running at:
      http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/the-long-run-is-your-mara.shtml

      19. Overreaching and Overtraining in Endurance Athletes:
      Whilst another triathlon season here in New Zealand is over, for many others in the northern hemisphere, it's just beginning.
      Although it may have been a great season and most of you would have noticed some improvements here and there, for some of you it was
      your first experience of having a less than satisfactory race because of your preparation.
      I would like to reveal the issue of overreaching and overtraining in endurance sport.
      First of all let's start by getting one thing straight - overtraining is a condition not an illness.
      When the training load is too intense, or the volume of training exceeds the body's ability to recover and adapt, the body
      experiences more breakdown than build up. The symptoms of overtraining are highly individualized and cannot be universally applied.
      Sometimes, it can be very difficult for athletes, trainers and coaches to recognize the early symptoms of the condition. The
      underlying causes of overtraining syndrome are often a combination of emotional and physiological reasons.
      More...from TriFuel at:
      http://www.trifuel.com/triathlon/triathlon-training/overreaching-and-overtraining-in-endurance-athletes-000930.php

      20. No pain, no gain? Healing sports injuries:
      The Energy Effect.
      We have all heard coaches, athletes, advertisements, trainers and members of workout clubs uttering the words “no pain, no gain” as
      though it were a magical mantra to kick sports performance up a notch.
      While their intentions may be fine, the approach is one that is outdated and potentially damaging.
      Pain and inflammation 101
      Pain is your body’s way of letting you know that something is wrong. Ignoring it, or worse, seeking it, encourages injuries. It does
      not only occur in localized areas; rather, it travels by way of the spinal cord and nervous system, thereby sending pain messages to
      the brain.
      Many sensations travel the same pathway as pain. Like a highway system, numerous sensations travel the same road.
      The speed of the sensation determines how quickly the message gets to the brain.
      Pain actually travels this pathway quite slowly. Dull pain travels at approximately one-half mile to two miles per second.
      Sharp or burning pain travels at approximately five to thirty miles per second. Non-painful touch such as acupressure or massage
      travels at thirty-five to seventy-five miles per second.
      More...from the Cochrane Times at:
      http://www.cochranetimes.com/story.php?id=176349

      21. Play it Safe When Recovering From an Injury:
      If you are returning to running after an injury or any significant layoff, it can be a real challenge to maintain the discipline
      necessary to limit increases in mileage and intensity adequately to prevent injury.
      In the beginning, a single mile can feel like a tantalizing tease.
      Most runners understand the need to make gradual increases and to listen to your body, cutting back in response to pain. However, if
      you are reasonably fit, listening to your body can prompt you to do too much, too soon.
      It is better to make a plan, set a schedule, and restrict yourself to established increases, even if you feel great. It is very easy
      to get into a cycle of injury/ recovery/return to running/re-injury, especially if you are an older runner.
      More...from the Sport Factory at:
      http://thesportfactory.iuplog.com/default.asp?item=95058

      22. Stress Test Gauges Women's Risk of Death From Heart Disease :
      When assessing fitness levels to predict who is most at risk to die of heart disease, doctors have had to rely on standards set by
      research done only on men, which often meant women were incorrectly diagnosed.
      But doctors at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago have developed a simple chart for women based on new data to more
      accurately identify those most at risk of mortality based on their fitness level as determined by a treadmill stress test.
      The data is based on an analysis of stress tests of more than 10,000 women, both those who were healthy and those at risk for heart
      disease. The researchers then used this information to determine what could be considered normal exercise capacity and fitness
      levels for women at different ages.
      "We just didn't have guidelines for women -- we knew the ones we had weren't relevant because of our clinical experience. But we now
      have standards for women for their ages and fitness levels," said study author Dr. Martha Gulati, an assistant professor at
      Northwestern Memorial Hospital's Bluhm Cardiovascular Institute.
      Gulati said the guidelines are important because research has increasingly shown that fitness levels as measured by a standard
      stress test are an independent predictor of mortality risk, particularly for heart disease.
      More...from Forbes.com at:
      http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/health/feeds/hscout/2005/08/03/hscout527198.html

      23. Yoga May Help Minimize Weight Gain in Middle Age:
      Practicing yoga may be one way to prevent middle-aged spread, according to the findings of a new study.
      Although the connection appears to be indirect, yoga practitioners are apparently able to avoid - or at least minimize - the
      one-pound-a-year of gained weight that most people endure between the ages of 45 and 55.
      The researchers used data from more than 15,000 men and women ages 53 to 57, who reported their weight at age 45 and their current
      weight.
      The subjects were also asked to report whether they engaged regularly in three specific recreational activities - walking, weight
      lifting, and yoga - and whether they participated in two broader categories of activity, moderate and strenuous exercise. The
      researchers assessed the diet of the study participants using a detailed food questionnaire.
      Practicing yoga for 4 or more years, for at least 30 minutes once a week, was associated with a 3.1-pound lower weight gain among
      people who were normal weight at age 45. The yoga practitioners who were overweight at 45 lost an average of 5 pounds, as opposed to
      an average gain of 13 pounds in overweight nonpractitioners. Being overweight was defined as having a body mass index of 25 or
      greater.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/02/science/02yoga.html?

      24. Five mental skills to boost performance:
      Henry Ford may not have been thinking about sweating through a marathon or hammering through a gnarly rock bed on two wheels when he
      said, "Whether you think you can or can't, you're usually right," but the axiom speaks volumes about sports.
      Self-confidence and strength of mind are often what sets good athletes apart from great ones. But mental training is not only for
      the elite -- a well-developed mental muscle will help everyone from weekend warriors to wannabe pros push beyond plateaus and reach
      heights previously thought unattainable.
      Practicing these mental skills will help you establish a foundation for success in any sport:
      1. Visualization
      Studies show that the human mind has difficulty separating reality from imagined reality. If you've ever had a dream that felt "so
      real," you understand. Visualization helps us imagine real situations and prepare ourselves to meet them head on. While it may sound
      like New Age doctrine, visualization is really just focused daydreaming that's goal-oriented.
      More...from Active.com at:
      http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=12172

      25. See You In Canadian Athletes Fund:
      Give athletes more IOC urges Canada” -Toronto Star August 30, 2004
      “In praise of our battered athletes” - Globe and Mail August 20, 2004
      “After the Games…the blame” - Toronto Star August 30, 2004
      “Silver medallist trained in a sauna to prepare for Athens heat” - The Globe and Mail August 28, 2004
      After Athens these were the headlines that Canadians read in newspapers across the nation, Torino is quickly approaching – let’s not
      let history repeat itself!
      Today I am inviting you to create a new future for athletes and sport in Canada. The See You In Canadian Athletes Fund provides
      direct funding to elite athletes with 85 cents of every dollar raised going to directly support a Canadian athlete.
      Between August 15th and 30th The See You In Canadian Athletes Fund is holding a cross - Canada awareness campaign to remind
      Canadians that support for our athletes is needed years before the medals are won. During these sixteen days we are inviting
      Canadians from across the nation to celebrate our athletes by hosting a Fundraising event. Some great event ideas that we have
      received include:
      - BBQ
      - Garage Sale
      - Pool Party
      - Golf Day
      - Kids Day
      - Cocktail party
      - Street Party
      - Fun Races (water, road, bikes, regattas)
      - Face Painting
      - Manicure/ Pedicure
      - Copper to Gold turn your jars of change into financial support for Canadian athletes
      How much support can you raise? We are challenging 2006 great Canadians to raise $1500. Our top Canadian athletes live on $1500/
      month. We are looking for 2006 Canadians to raise $1500 each to help support our athletes. The See You In Torino Fund and See You In
      Beijing Fund allocate $6000 grants direct to our athletes. In 2004 we supported 244 of the 266 Canadian Athletes directly who
      represented Canada. A list of our 2006 great Canadians will be added to our website.
      Our goal is to blitz Canada to increase awareness of the See You In Canadian Athletes Fund. We have found that many Canadians want
      to help, they just do not know how. We want Canadians to understand why the Fund exists, how it supports athletes, and how
      Canadians can contribute to the success of our athletes. If you are interested in partaking in our awareness campaign please e-mail
      me back and let me know how you would like to contribute.
      If you have any questions about this program or anything else please feel free to send me an e-mail at
      mailto:alanna@... or call me at the office
      1.866.YES.2006!
      Looking forward to hearing your great ideas,
      Alanna Harman
      ? Yes I am interested in hosting an event.
      My event will take place (location):___________________________________
      On (date and time):________________________________________________
      ? Yes I want to be a great Canadian and raise $1500 to support our Canadian athletes.

      Athlete Relations
      See You In Canadian Athletes Fund
      721 Queen St. E., Suite 210
      Toronto, ON
      M4M 1H1
      ph: 1-866-YES-2006 or 416-487-4442
      fax: 416-966-3321

      THIS WEEK'S FEATURED EVENTS:
      *Please verify event dates with the event websites*

      August 6, 2005:
      5 Peaks Trail Run - Camp Fortune-Gatineau Park, PQ
      http://www.5peaks.com/schedule.asp?p=on&raceid=82

      TD Banknorth Beach to Beacon 10K - Cape Elizabeth, ME
      http://www.beach2beacon.org/beachtobeacon/index.html

      Television - CBC 12:00 Noon EDT
      Track and Field from Helsinki, Finland

      August 6-7, 2005:
      Cooler Triathlon, ITU World Cup Hamburg, Germany
      http://www.holstencityman.de

      ITU Long Distance Triathlon World Championships - Fredericia, DEN
      http://www.fretri.dk

      Michelob Ultra London Triathlon - London, England
      http://www.thelondontriathlon.com

      August 6-14, 2005:
      IAAF 2005 World Championships - Helsinki, Finland
      http://www.helsinki2005.fi/
      IAAF
      http://www.iaaf.org
      IAAF Radio
      http://www.iaaf.org/multimedia/AudioWCH05,StreamID=1.html
      EuroSport
      http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/v4/l0/s6/e9296/sport_lng0_spo6_evt9296.shtml
      BBC
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/4728703.stm
      World Championship Television - CBC 20:00 EDT Sunday, August 7 - Friday, August 12
      Track and Field from Helsinki, Finland

      August 6-20, 2005:
      Canada Summer Games - Regina, SASK
      http://www.2005jeuxducanadagames.ca/english/index.html

      August 7, 2005:
      Baker's Healthy Start Foundation Triathlon - Bellingham, WA
      http://www.trithecookie.com/

      Chicago Distance Classic - IL
      http://www.chicagodistanceclassic.com

      Television - CBC 14:00 EDT
      Track and Field from Helsinki, Finland

      Television - CBC 20:00 EDT
      Track and Field from Helsinki, Finland

      For more complete race listings check out our Upcoming Races, and Calendars. Check the Runner's Web on Sunday and Monday for race
      reports on these events at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html

      For Triathlon Coverage check out The Sports Network at:
      http://www2.sportsnet.ca/tvschedule/tvsked_sport.php?region=ONTARIO&schedule_id=\25

      Comments, contributions and feedback are always welcome via this list at: mailto:runnersweb@yahoogroups.com and in our Runner's Web
      Forum, available off our FrontPage. If you post to the mailing list and get your email returned, please contact the Runner's Web at
      mailto:webmaster@... to notify us of the problem. To update your Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the web

      Runner's Web
      mailto:webmaster@...
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html
      A running and triathlon resource portal
      Runner's Web Online Store
      http://store.runnersweb.com

      RUNNER'S WEB AFFILIATE PROGRAMS:
      ************************************
      Netscape Internet Service now with FREE Web Accelerator
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000009100855

      Instant Stretching Routines
      Design unlimited stretching routines today, starting from scratch, in under 60 seconds!
      http://www.instantstretchingroutines.com/cgi-bin/a.cgi?a=runnersweb

      ShoeWallet.com has set out on a mission to enable people to easily carry ID and medical information at all times. Basically, anyone
      who is out on the roads or trails needs a convenient place to carry this vital information.
      http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?joggerscompanion+pXgxpm+index.html+

      SportsShoes in the UK
      http://www.sportsshoes.com/index.php?id=149

      Visit on AssociatesShop.com Online Bookstore for running and triathlon books:
      http://associatesshop.filzhut.de/shop/index.php?ID=90c9f271c1a519abc4a69299be707\5a9

      LX Sport - Leading Edge Sports Products for Women.
      "We strive hard to bring you the best fitness and sports products on the market that we can find. Our product range is constantly
      evolving"
      http://www.lxsport.com/products.php?PARTNER=runnersweb. Use the promotion code "RWEB".
      This application was recently featured on National TV - please see the following link:
      http://easylink.playstream.com/networknewssource/hdo/onlinetrainer.wvx

      TrainingPeaks.com by Wes Hobson.
      Find the training program that fits you at:
      http://www.trainingpeaks.com/rw

      Puma
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000006585654

      Fitsense Speed, Distance & Heart Rate Monitoring System for Runners and Walkers
      http://buy.fitsense.com/processing2.asp?ID=28&Ad=101

      Peak Performance Online
      Free Copy of Peak Performance!
      High-quality training newsletter worth £4 ($6) delivered straight to your door
      http://www.pponline.co.uk/sendme/free.php?aff=runnersweb&sub=run

      Blockbuster
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000005675551

      Fairmont Hotels
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000005674720

      Triathlon Meetup
      http://triathlon.meetup.com/r/d5n6/d5n6/0/http://triathlon.meetup.com/?a=d5n6/
      Triathlon Meetups! Happening THIS month, find out when .

      The Finish Line
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000005637857

      Patagonia
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000005568199

      Motorola
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000005463364

      AOL Broadband
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000005348025

      Get the GM Card, get 5% Earnings from every credit card purchase, and start charging toward a new GM car, truck or SUV.
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000005347188

      ING DIRECT makes $aving money simple! Open your account online today and start earning 2.10% variable APY. No Fees and No Minimums!
      http://www.qksrv.net/click-1452277-10124087

      TriSwim Coach - The Complete Guide to Triathlon Swimming
      http://hop.clickbank.net/?rhianyth/triswim1

      adidas' running apparel at 15% off! All running shorts, pants, and
      shirts at reduced prices .
      http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=20812557&siteid=39999062&bfpage=15745\37

      If you have an accident while running or cycling, do you want your family to be contacted? Do you want to receive immediate and
      proper medical treatment? If so, make this cool item part of your gear -- for safety and peace of mind. Road ID has created 4
      awesome ways for athletes to wear ID: the SHOE, the WRIST, the ANKLE, and the NECK. Get your RoadID at:
      http://www.roadid.com/?referrer=50

      The TRACK PROFILE Reader 2004, an in-depth review of the 2003 season by Bob Ramsak, is now available. Selected from hundreds of
      reports filed by the Track Profile News Service last year, The TRACK PROFILE READER provides a unique look back at the
      personalities, stories and events that defined track and field in 2003. With in depth profiles of the sport's biggest stars and
      comprehensive on-site reports from major competitions, this annual review takes the reader beyond the results, providing a perfect
      companion for casual and diehard fans alike. Check out the book at:
      http://www.booksurge.com/author.php3?accountID=GPUB00341&affiliateID=A000497

      The Stretching Handbook:
      http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/cmd.php?af=245575
      The Stretching Video in a DVD version. With the DVD version you're able to use the convenient menu facility to:
      * Go directly to a specific stretch;
      * View only stretches for a specific muscle group;
      * Pause each stretch to get a good look at how it is performed;
      * View only the introduction and rules for safe stretching; or
      * Play the entire video from start to finish.
      Buy the DVD at:
      http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/cgi-bin/at.pl?a=286905&e=products/video-dvd\.htm

      Buy all your sporting goods at Fogdog Sports, your anytime, anywhere sports store.
      Click here: http://www.fogdog.com/cgi-bin/affiliate?siteid=40054907

      How To Run And Enjoy The Marathon By James Raia:
      Price: $7.95
      As a practical guide to the 26.2-mile journey, How To Run And Enjoy The Marathon is a series of 15 self-help and service-oriented
      articles about running marathons - the proper shoes to running etiquette - is written by James Raia, a journalist and veteran
      middle-of-the-pack marathon and ultramarathon runner in Sacramento, Calif. Buy the book at:
      http://hop.clickbank.net/?rhianyth/eltomaja

      **END...OF DIGEST...**