Runner's And Triathlete's Digest - June 3, 2005

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2005
      A Free Weekly E-zine of Multisport Related Articles.

      The Original Runner's and Triathlete's Web was founded in January of 1997 as a not-for-profit resource site. RunnersWeb.com Inc. is
      now a small business venture which sponsors the OAC Racing Team, a women's road racing and triathlon club, and the OAC Gatineau
      Triathlon and Corporate Relay and the Canadian Iron Distance Triathlon. The site is not in any way associated with the two UK
      "Runner's Web" copycat sites or the Runner's Web Book Store in the USA.

      Support our advertisers:

      1. Runner's Web Online Store:
      Through a partnership with HDO Sports, the Runner's and Triathlete's Web has opened an online store. Check it out for your shopping
      requirements. Provide us with your feedback.

      3. Toronto Waterfront Marathon. September 25, 2005:

      4. Sof Sole Offer:
      A free pair of our technical socks ($9.99 value) with the purchase of any Sof Sole insole.

      5. The Toronto Marathon

      Shopping on the internet?
      Father's Day Sale!
      Check out our new storefront just launched in partnership with HDO Sport:

      those of the Runner's Web. To comment on any stories in the Digest visit our Forum at:

      Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out our daily news,
      features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more. General questions should be posted to one of our forums available from our

      For new subscribers:
      This newsletter has been composed using Outlook set to "Plain Text" format. The Digest is sent via an email list at
      If you experience any delays in receiving your copy of the Digest, please advise us at:
      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for viruses. Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor
      (me) prior to being released to the group. If you have any questions regarding the options available for receiving this digest,
      **[ Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two lines. If you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you paste
      the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or another appropriate suffix ].
      Note: An increasing number of media sites require free registration.
      If you wish to sign up for free access to sources for our articles without using your main email address we suggest the use of a
      mail alias program such as http://www.emailias.com.

      THIS WEEK:

      We are still trying to get Yahoo News to add the Runner's Web to their indexing. You can help us by completing and ending the form
      at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/yahoo_news_site.html

      Our site traffic continues to grow. For March 2005 we had an average of 7,055 visitors per day, a 64.5% increase over the daily
      average of 4,288 for March 2004. On Monday, April 18th, 2004 we set an all-time high of 11,455 visitors.

      Get our Syndicated headlines for you site.
      Add the Runner's Web News feed to your site through a simple JavaScript. Check out OnTri.com's implementation at:
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is now available through an RSS feed for myYahoo at:

      If anyone is looking for a web mail provider, you might wish to consider Google's GMail. Currently you can get GMail by invitation
      only from a current user. My stock of "invites" has been replenished. I will give invitations to the first 40 Digest subscribers to
      respond (by email timestamp). Contact me at:

      Microsoft(r) Alerts on RunnersWeb.com Inc.
      RunnersWeb.com Inc. now offers Microsoft(r) Alerts! This service lets you receive important messages through your MSN(r) Messenger
      or Windows(r) Messenger, your e-mail, or your mobile device. You can choose how and when you receive these messages by specifying
      your preferences during the easy setup process. Sign up at:

      We are currently at 1290 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they
      subscribe. at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RunnersWeb/join.

      Race Directors:
      Advertise your event on the Runner's Web. Over 1.8 MILLION visits in 2004!
      7,055 visitors per day for March 2005, a 65% increase over March 2004.
      7,263 visitors per day for April 2005, a 62% increase over April 2004.
      On Monday, April 18th, 2004 we set an all-time high of 11,455 visitors.

      For more information:
      For text ads check out our AdBrite partnership at:

      Runner's and Triathlete's Web Content Partners:

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey.
      Sheila is one of Ottawa's top multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public
      Health and works in the field of nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the University of California, San Diego. Her
      column index is available at:

      * Carmichael Training Systems
      Carmichael Training Systems was founded in 1999 by Chris Carmichael.
      From the beginning, the mission of the company has been to improve the lives of individuals we work with through the application of
      proper and effective fitness and competitive training techniques. Whether your focus is recreational, advanced, or you are a
      professional racer, the coaching methodology employed by CTS will make you a better athlete. Check the latest monthly column from
      CTS at:

      * Running Research News
      Running Research News is a monthly newsletter which keeps sports-active people up-to-date on the latest information about
      training, sports nutrition, and sports medicine. RRN publishes practical, timely new material which improves workouts, prevents
      injuries, and
      heightens overall fitness. Check our latest column from Running Research News at:
      On January 7th we started a new feature on the website - A Question and Answer with Owen Anderson from Running Research News.
      Send in your training related questions for Owen to answer to
      Check out the questions and answers from the Q and A Index page at:

      * Peak Performance Online
      Peak Performance is a subscription-only newsletter for athletes, featuring the latest research from the sports science world. We
      cover the whole range of sports, from running and rowing to cycling and swimming, and each issue is packed full of exclusive
      information for anyone who's serious about sport. It's published 16 times a year, including four special reports, by Electric Word
      plc. Peak Performance is not available in the shops - only our subscribers are able to access the valuable information we publish
      Check out our latest article from Peak Performance Online at:

      * Peak Running Performance
      Peak Running Performance Is The Number 1 Technical Running Newsletter In America! Check out their article index at:

      * WatsonLifeSport
      Lance Watson is "Just The Winningest Coach in Triathlon". He has been coaching triathlon and distance running since 1987. Over the
      years, Lance has coached some of the most successful athletes in the sport of triathlon and duathlon.
      Check out the Lance Watson Online Article Index at:

      This Weeks Personal Postings/Releases:
      We have NO personal postings this week.

      This Week's Digest Article Index:

      1. Science of Sport: What To Do When You're Just Out Running Around
      2. An Uphill Battle?
      3. Science of Sport: Can Endurance Runners Be Vegetarians?
      4. For asthmatics, laughter is no laughing matter
      5. Where is the next Pre?
      "To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine: January 25, 1951 - May 30, 1975
      6. Under attack: the no-time excuse
      7. A Commitment to Excellence
      The Long Run of Doris Brown Heritage.
      8. Tips for the Travelling Athlete
      9. Can Too Much Exercise Make You Sick?
      10. From Runner's World
      11. Joe Henderson's Running Commentary - Watch It
      12. Overreaching and Overtraining in Endurance Athletes
      13. Give your nutrition skills a workout
      Dietary needs vary from sport to sport, but one fact remains constant: What you feed your body is as important as how you train it.
      14. Science of Sport:
      Plasma Expansion: If you're an endurance athlete, you need more blood than the individual who sits around watching the telly.
      15. Triathlon 101 with Coach Lance Watson - Pumping Up
      16. Multisport: 12 Tips For Ironman Tapering
      17. The Graceful Decline
      A funny thing happens in an athlete’s career when you have kids.
      18. Treadmill workout: Guaranteed speed!
      19. Carbohydrate Loading
      20. Does the World Know About Triathlon
      21. Low zinc intake may sap exercisers' energy
      22. Here's to antioxidants
      It's getting harder and harder to be naughty.
      23. Baring their soles for the sake of a good run
      Barefoot runners say they are less prone to injury. One shoemaker is taking a closer look.
      24. Are my knees getting old?
      25. News Scan - A Collection of News Items

      Runner's Web Weekly Poll: "Will Marian Jones ever regain her former performance standard?"

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage as well as voting on and/or checking the results of previous polls.
      Post your views in our Forum at:
      [Free Registration Required]

      Last week's poll was: "Which of the following is your favourite running (athletics) movie?
      Chariots of Fire
      Golden Girl
      On The Edge
      Personal Best
      Running Brave
      See How She Runs
      St. Ralph
      The Jericho Mile
      Have not seen any of the above"

      The results at publication time were:
      Answers Votes Percent
      1. Chariots of Fire 26 37%
      2. Golden Girl 1 1%
      3. Marathon 1 1%
      4. On The Edge 0 0%
      5. Personal Best 2 3%
      6. Running Brave 3 4%
      7. See How She Runs 0 0%
      8. St. Ralph 20 28%
      9. The Jericho Mile 6 8%
      10. Have not seen any of the above 12 17%

      Five Star Site of the Week: AchrafTadili.com
      Canadian 800 m runner Achraf Tadili Pan-American Champion.
      "Achraf's first race was not against other humans, but against a dog. The story of the transformation from a soccer player to a
      track and field runner all began out in Casablanca on a farm. One day as he was visiting his uncle, he decided he wanted to play
      with his uncle's 2 guard dogs. Out of nowhere, one of the dogs broke loose from his chain and began to charge furiously towards
      Achraf. This forced Achraf to sprint 200m as fast as he could to escape the furious dog. After watching Achraf outrun the dog,
      Achraf's uncle strongly suggested that he join a track and field club."
      Visit the site at:

      Send us your suggestions for our Five Star site. Please check our list
      of previous Five Star Sites available from the Five Star
      Window under the link "Previous Five Star Sites" as we do not wish to
      repeat a site unless it has undergone a major redesign.

      If you feel you have something to say that is worthy of a Guest Column
      on the Runner's Web, email us at
      mailto:webmaster@... or leave your comments in one of our Forums at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/forum.html or from our FrontPage.

      Book of the Week: Your Performing Edge: The Complete Mind-Body Guide for Excellence in Sports, Health, and Life, Third Edition
      By JoAnn Dahlkoetter
      Tour de France For Dummies is a plain-English guide to the world's most famous bicycle race.
      Runner's World Magazine – Eileen Portz-Shovlin, Senior Editor
      Excellent information on so many
      crucial points of performance. Good strong writing that gets to the point, with powerful examples.
      Bill Rodgers, Four-time winner, Boston and New York City Marathon
      This book has everything you need to be successful. It's filled with powerful mental training exercises, humor, and inspirational
      Buy the book from Amazon at:

      More books from Amazon at:
      and Human Kinetics at:

      This Weeks News:

      1. Science of Sport: What To Do When You're Just Out Running Around:
      By Owen Anderson, Ph. D. (Copyright © 2004-2005)
      Almost all of us have days when we have a track workout scheduled - but we just don't want to go. It may be that we have been to the
      track a little too often recently, and that the thought of running ovals gives us a distinct feeling of ennui or dread. Or it might
      be that even though we are highly motivated there is simply no sense in attempting our pace-based effort on the track, since wind or
      rain would make it impossible to maintain a planned velocity. In such cases, is there an alternative workout which would provide
      benefits similar to the projected track session? If we decided to run somewhere else, in a place at which we really enjoy running,
      could we give big boosts to vVO2max, lactate threshold, economy, and speed - the kind of booster shots that the track running would
      have furnished, even if we don't actually run at a specific pace?
      Thanks to recent research carried out by Stephen Seiler and Jarl Espen Sjursen from the Department of Health and Sport at Agder
      University College in Kristiansand, Norway, we know that the answer to these questions is a resounding "yes." In the Seiler-Sjursen
      investigation, runners were able to conduct great interval workouts even when they did not attempt to run at specific paces (1).
      12 athletes (nine males and three females) from a Kristiansand running club participated in the study; all trained regularly,
      competed in races, and carried out interval training routinely. The runners had been training for at least four years prior to the
      onset of the investigation and averaged 5.4 workouts per week, with two weekly interval sessions.
      More...from the Runner's Web at:

      2. An Uphill Battle?
      By Paul Greer
      Many runners consider hills to be a hindrance, an obstacle getting in the way of the goal at hand. So why, many runners would say,
      should one train on hills? How’s this, for starters; nearly 90% of all distance runners are deficient in muscular strength, and hill
      workouts are specifically designed to build just this – the muscular and cardiovascular strength we lack. For this reason it is
      vital for all runners to implement hill training in their regimen. When you run hills, you develop elastic muscle fibers – these are
      your most significant source of power!
      Still not convinced? Here are two additional benefits you’ll achieve from hill workouts.
      1. Increased leg strength and power. Since hill training builds leg strength, it is an excellent addition to early conditioning
      programs; it will help you prepare for the faster running and interval training you’ll be doing later.
      2. Superior endurance. You’ll be able to run faster for longer periods of time because hill running allows middle and long distance
      runners to build lactate tolerance without running faster than race pace. This type of training also requires both steady state and
      oxygen depleting efforts, which provides you with a good transition from aerobic to anaerobic capacity training. This transition
      will radically increase your endurance as your body develops a greater tolerance for the build-up of lactate acid. This is essential
      in enhancing anaerobic fitness.
      Hills are an excellent and surprisingly underused element in a runner’s training regimen and hill training can continue to provide
      benefits in power, leg strength, anaerobic fitness and speed throughout your training and racing career.
      The BEST terrain to run on is grass and trails. These surfaces are easier on you joints, knees, ankles and lower back. If you must
      share a hill with vehicles, never choose a hill with a cross street that doesn’t have a stop sign. Also, when you hill run, you
      always want to face traffic so you can see which SUV you might have to avoid.
      In terms of technique, the biomechanics of efficient uphill and downhill running differ from running on flat surfaces. When running
      uphill, it is important to keep your body’s center of mass as high as possible to optimize stride length. To accomplish this you
      must run as tall as possible with your head up and eyes on the horizon line. Exaggerating your forward lean into the hill is a
      common mistake that only serves to lower your center of mass and decrease stride length.
      More...from the Runner's Web at:

      3. Science of Sport: Can Endurance Runners Be Vegetarians?
      By Owen Anderson, Ph. D. (copyright © 2003-2005)
      Many meat-eating athletes wonder whether a switch to a vegetarian diet might provide a performance boost, and there are logical
      reasons for such thinking. First, vegetarian diets tend to be high-carbohydrate regimens, which should lead to optimal glycogen
      storage in muscles. At the lofty intensities required for high-level training and serious competition, carbohydrate is the primary
      source of energy; when muscle-carbohydrate (glycogen) levels are too low, athletes experience fatigue and tend to perform poorly
      (1). Thus, a vegetarian diet may function as an "insurance policy" against insipid intramuscular carbohydrate storage and
      underachievement in races.
      In addition, it is possible that vegetarian eating might enhance the recovery process following tough workouts and competitions. The
      reasoning goes this way: High-intensity or prolonged effort generates increased levels of "free radicals" within an athlete's body,
      potentially enhancing the breakdown of cell membranes, including the membranes which wrap around muscle cells (2). An athlete's own
      physiological systems can synthesize antioxidant enzymes to stem this free-radical onslaught, but an additional line of defense is
      provided via the consumption of antioxidant nutrients. Vegetarian diets revolve around fruits, vegetables, and whole grains - the
      kinds of food which are high in antioxidants. Thus, vegetarian eating may do a better job of protecting muscle cells during hard
      training, compared with dietary plans which are more biased toward meats.
      Of course, the "coup-de-grace" pro-vegetarian argument in the running community relies on the fact that Kenyan distance runners, at
      least when they are "coming up," are basically lactoovovegetarians, depending on corn, beans, and the various fruits and vegetables
      found in Kenya, along with dabbles in milk and eggs, to fuel their achievements. Since the Kenyans perform better as a group than
      any other runners in the world, it would seem that vegetarian diets, or at least lactoovovegetarian ones, go hand-in-hand with top
      While those are rational and reasonable points, it should be noted that a meat-eating athlete's diet is not necessarily low in
      carbohydrate. Evidence now strongly suggests that an athlete who trains between 60 and 90 minutes per day should ingest about eight
      to 10 grams of carbohydrate per kilogram of body weight daily (approximately 3.6 to 4.5 grams of carbs per pound of body weight per
      day). Even an athlete who consumes a nightly T-bone steak is not prohibited from attaining such lofty carbohydrate heights; while
      the T-bone might take up room in the tummy which could be better filled with carrots, brown rice, and passion fruit, there is
      nothing about meat-eating per se which automatically produces a carbohydrate-consumption failure (the needed carbs could be ingested
      throughout the day, for example). Even an athlete whose diet is 70-percent carbohydrate has to fill that other 30 percent with
      something, after all. Take in a grandiose T-bone at every meal, and you've got a problem; take in meat in prudent amounts, and it is
      relatively easy to ingest adequate levels of carbs, too.
      More...from the Runner's Web at:

      4. For asthmatics, laughter is no laughing matter:
      More than half of people with asthma have symptoms that are triggered by laughter, according to new study findings presented this
      Laughter is "one more trigger in a long list of triggers" for asthma, study author Dr. Stuart Garay of the New York University
      Medical Center in New York told Reuters Health.
      However, among people with symptoms brought on by laughter, nearly half said they could laugh attack-free when their asthma was
      under better control. To Garay, this suggests that people who get asthma symptoms from laughing should consider tweaking their
      medicine to improve control of their condition.
      Laughter-induced asthma "may be a sign that you need some adjustment in your medication," Garay said in an interview.
      For their study, he and his colleagues asked 235 people with asthma if laughter affected their asthma.
      They found that 56 percent of people developed symptoms after laughing, most commonly cough and chest tightness. Most people said
      they experienced symptoms within 2 minutes of laughing, with many saying their symptoms kicked in almost immediately.
      More...from Reuters at:

      5. Where is the next Pre?
      "To give anything less than your best
      is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
      January 25, 1951 - May 30, 1975
      At the time of his passing, "Pre"—a rebel who happened to run—held the American records at every distance from 2,000 to 10,000
      meters: a feat never accomplished before or since.
      This month marks the 30-year anniversary of Pre's premature passing. We honor his legacy, his records, his influence on professional
      American athletics. And we revel in a philosophy of life that continues to inspire.
      Get to know the man who ran every race as if it were his last. Learn about America's greatest running legend. Peek into the soul of
      Nike—and maybe be inspired to push a few limits of your own.
      More...from Nike.com at:

      6. Under attack - the no-time excuse:
      A mere six minutes of intense, gut-busting exercise a week can do as much to improve a person's fitness as a traditional
      one-hour-a-day regime, according to startling new findings from Canadian researchers.
      If they are right, the approach will strip away the time-honoured excuse of the inactive: "I don't have time to exercise."
      The research, which will be published in the June edition of the Journal of Applied Physiology, found that people who undertook
      "modified interval training" that consisted of cycling at breakneck speed for short bursts boosted their endurance just as much as
      those who spent hours a week biking at a more moderate pace.
      "Short bouts of intense exercise improved muscle and performance to the same extent as traditional endurance training," said Dr.
      Martin Gibala, an associate professor in the department of kinesiology of McMaster University in Hamilton, Ont.
      More...from the Globe and Mail at:

      7. A Commitment to Excellence:
      The Long Run of Doris Brown Heritage.
      As a young girl, Doris Severtson liked nothing better than to run freely along the beach in front of her family home in Gig Harbor,
      WA, or through the woods nearby. It wasn’t training or racing, just running for the simple joy of movement and the love of her
      surroundings. No one would question the need for a child to be active like that, though soon enough Severtson came into contact with
      doubters, and with more substantial barriers to her love of running.
      When she first began competing in the summer of 1958, at the age of 15, Severtson ran for the same reasons as before. But a year
      later, as a member of Tacoma’s small Mic Mac club, she set a national 440-yard dash record and her running career, and her life,
      quickly changed.
      Since that first record Doris Brown Heritage (née Severtson) has been on a journey across incredibly varied terrain, one more
      undulating than the toughest cross country course she ever ran. The journey included national and world records, international
      championships, coaching and administrative assignments all over the globe, and opportunities to compete and work with people who
      became her closest friends. There were also bitter disappointments, brought on by injury and misfortune. And for a long while there
      was the frustrating reality that women had scant opportunity to race at the distances best suited to Brown Heritage. Some said women
      should not run at all, but because of Brown Heritage and others from her era, those voices have been silenced. Through it all Brown
      Heritage has worked tirelessly, promoting the sport she loved long before she even knew it was a sport.
      Shortly after her 440-yard record, Brown Heritage became aware that a women’s 800 meter event was being added to the 1960 Rome
      Olympics schedule. Back in the 1928 Games in Amsterdam, women had first competed in five track & field events, but upon completion
      of the 800, a debate ensued about whether women should perform what some doctors labeled "feats of endurance." They warned that
      women running the 800 would "become old too soon," and ultimately the International Amateur Athletic Federation (IAAF) banned women
      from racing beyond 200 meters. For 32 years half a lap was the farthest women could run in the Olympics.
      Although a novice, Brown Heritage believed she could make the U.S. team in the 800, and as a high school senior she set out to do
      just that. She was a legitimate contender, given her ability in the 440 and the fact that few American women had experience at the
      distance. At the 1960 U.S. Olympic Trials, Brown Heritage finished third in the 800, an event won by another talented 17-year-old,
      Billie Pat Daniels. Unfortunately none of the U.S. top three ran fast enough to meet the automatic Olympic qualifying standard,
      meaning that only Daniels could travel to Rome as the sole entrant each nation was guaranteed.
      More...from Running Times at:

      8. Tips for the Travelling Athlete:
      So, you’ve been training hard for a very special out of town race. It could be an Ironman or bike race and you really want
      everything to go superb. If you take special care in making your traveling arrangements then you can relieve yourself of much undo
      stress and improve your chances of having a great race. But, where do you start in making your plans?
      Information is Key
      Begin by getting the most amount of information about the city you’re going to. Find out how far the airport is from the race site,
      your hotel and nearby bike or tri shops. Find out the exact route from the hotel to the race site and commit it to memory so you’ll
      feel more in control when you get there. With sites like MapQuest and Yahoo it is very easy to gather this information. Find out the
      water temperature to make sure if you need a wetsuit or not as well as the terrain for the bike so you can figure out which gearing
      to bring. Also, do some research on the average temperatures and forecast to finalize your race and casual clothing. I’ve always
      found it handy to have the following with me on every trip: light rain jacket, jeans and white t shirt. The rain jacket can serve
      many purposes as it could be chilly race morning or post race. The jeans and t shirt, well, they always seem to work in a pinch if I
      get invited out somewhere.
      More...from Florida Sports at:

      9. Can Too Much Exercise Make You Sick?
      David C. Nieman, Dr. P.H.
      A common perception exists that overtraining or participation in lengthy endurance type events will cause athletes to become ill. In
      fact, results from a survey conducted by the Gatorade Sports Science Institute show that nearly 90 percent of 2,700 high school and
      collegiate coaches and athletic trainers believe that overtraining can compromise the immune system and make athletes sick.
      But can too much exercise really make you ill? A study conducted at the Los Angeles Marathon reveals that this may be the case.
      Results show that:
      One out of seven runners who participated in the event got sick after it was over.
      Runners training more than 60 miles a week during the two months before the race, doubled their odds for sickness compared to those
      training less than 20 miles a week.
      But regular moderate training also appears to provide protection against colds. Eighty percent of fitness enthusiasts, for instance,
      reported in a recent survey that they have fewer colds than their inactive peers.
      So what's a coach to think?
      Too Much Exercise Suppresses Immune Function
      Although moderate exercise may help protect athletes from sickness, training for too long at too high an intensity appears to make
      athletes more susceptible to illness. Laboratory research shows that athletes exercising at a high intensity for 90 minutes or more
      experience a steep drop in immune function that can last up to 24 hours. The drop in immune function appears to be caused by the
      elevation of stress hormones released during and following heavy exertion. This is what exercise immunologists believe allows
      viruses already in the body to spread and gain a foothold.
      More...from the Sport Factory at:

      10. From Runner's World:
      * Coach's Corner
      Plan to race: "If you live near a race course, do a slow run over the course once or twice a month. As you run, tell yourself how
      confident you feel and devise mental strategies that you'll use to overcome any race-day problems. If you don't live near the
      course, you can do the same mental rehearsal by running on terrain that simulates some of the challenging parts of the race course
      and talking yourself through the rough spots."
      -Jeff Galloway
      * Injury Prevention
      Build upper-body flexibility. Tired runners tend to hunch over. Increasing the flexibility of your chest muscles will improve your
      form, enhance your breathing capacity, and help you stay upright. Try this stretch: Stand in a doorway with your forearms against
      the door frame, elbows at shoulder level. Step or lean forward until you feel a stretch across your chest. Hold for at least 30
      * Performance Nutrition
      Based on looks alone, the small, oval, hairy, dirt-brown kiwi is not much of a treat. But don't be fooled: The skin offers plenty of
      fiber and the emerald green flesh inside contains many of the same nutrients as leafy green vegetables, such as disease-fighting
      beta-carotene and vitamin C. One peeled kiwi has three grams of fiber (50 percent more than a slice of whole wheat bread) and only
      55 calories. Eat one whole by rubbing off the outer fuzz with a clean dish towel. Added bonus: Used as a marinade, kiwi can
      tenderize tough meat in just 30 minutes.
      * Editor's Advice
      "Strike an agreement with your family. The rule: You get 1 hour to yourself every day, provided that you use it for exercise (and
      reciprocate the favor). Since it's for your health, it's a contract they can't refuse. And that will allow you to exercise
      guilt-free while acting as a role model for your children." -Carol Goodrow, RW kids running editor
      * Training Talk
      "Take a deep breath. The best way to relax, focus your effort, and maintain your form is through controlled, rhythmic breathing.
      Controlling your breathing is crucial. It allows you to focus and concentrate almost entirely on your form."
      -From Runner's World Complete Book of Running by Amby Burfoot

      11. Joe Henderson's Running Commentary - Watch It:
      Return with me now to the not-too-distant past when watches still had hands. Timing our runs was an inexact act as recently as the
      We would point the watch's hours and minutes to 12, wait for the second hand to reach the top, then start running. Later we would
      grab a finish time within a minute or so from accurate.
      Sometimes a passerby would ask, "Can you tell me what time it is?" We'd shrug, leaving the asker to wonder why anyone would wear a
      watch but not know what time it was.
      Only once did my race time come close to matching the time of day. That happened at the Boston Marathon, which began at noon.
      Even there, timing was an estimate. Did the hands read 2:48-something, 2:49-plus or 2:50-and-change? I waited hours for the official
      Our old wristwatches weren't just inexact; they were unreliable. "Waterproof" didn't mean sweatproof. The stem gummed up with salt
      until it froze, leaving the watch to die from no rewinding.
      Leaping ahead 25 years, we now wear five-function digital watches while running -- and still fumble and shrug when asked the time of
      day. This hasn't changed, but almost everything else in timekeeping has.
      The digital wrist-stopwatch was one of running's greatest inventions. It gave runners instant and precise race results. These
      watches created the PR -- the precious personal record -- by tuning us in to our own times.
      These watches have reversed normal economic trends. As they've gotten better, they've also grown cheaper.
      My first digital watch cost about $200, came cased in heavy metal and had a nasty habit of going blank at the worst times. Much
      better watches now sell for as little as $5.
      More...from Joe Henderson at:

      12. Overreaching and Overtraining in Endurance Athletes:
      Whilst another triathlon season here in New Zealand is over, for many others in the northern hemisphere, it's just beginning.
      Although it may have been a great season and most of you would have noticed some improvements here and there, for some of you it was
      your first experience of having a less than satisfactory race because of your preparation.
      I would like to reveal the issue of overreaching and overtraining in endurance sport.
      First of all let's start by getting one thing straight - overtraining is a condition not an illness.
      When the training load is too intense, or the volume of training exceeds the body's ability to recover and adapt, the body
      experiences more breakdown than build up. The symptoms of overtraining are highly individualized and cannot be universally applied.
      Sometimes, it can be very difficult for athletes, trainers and coaches to recognize the early symptoms of the condition. The
      underlying causes of overtraining syndrome are often a combination of emotional and physiological reasons.
      I want to emphasize more about the emotional and physiological aspects of the syndrome. A person's stress tolerance can break down
      as often from a sudden increase in anxiety as from an increase in physical distress. The emotional demands of competition, the aim
      to win, the fear of failure and unrealistic goals, can be sources of intolerable emotional stress. Some studies have shown that
      overtraining is associated with alteration in the neurological (the autonomic nervous system), hormonal and immune systems.
      In the autonomic nervous system, we are talking about the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems, to understand the process
      you would need to know the difference between the two nervous systems. The sympathetic nerves prepare the body for emergencies - the
      fight or flight response, whereas stimulation of the parasympathetic nerves generally slows the body down.
      We have no control over the sympathetic system, so if you're experiencing symptoms such as, increased heart rate and blood pressure,
      no appetite, sleeping problems, emotional instability and decreased body mass, you can not make them "go away". You need to confer
      with your coach or trainer immediately and have some time off from your training
      More...from Endurance Coach at:

      13. Give your nutrition skills a workout:
      Dietary needs vary from sport to sport, but one fact remains constant: What you feed your body is as important as how you train it.
      If you're serious about exercise, you probably know that fuelling your body is as important as training it. It's well established
      that eating the right foods, at the right times, can enhance physical performance during training and competition.
      And you don't have to be a world class athlete to reap the benefits of nutrition. Whether your fitness regime includes cycling to
      and from work, 30 minutes on a treadmill or building up to marathon mileage, you need to eat right if you want your body to perform
      its best.
      Though dietary needs vary from sport to sport, a certain formula holds true for athletes at all levels. A fitness-friendly diet must
      contain carbohydrates for fuel, protein to build and repair muscles, vitamins and minerals to support muscle-building and energy
      metabolism, and fluids to cool the body.
      Carbohydrates are the body's preferred energy source for daily physical activities and high-intensity exercise. Once digested,
      carbohydrate-rich foods are absorbed into the bloodstream as glucose.
      Glucose that's not used immediately for energy is stored in muscles as glycogen -- the primary fuel for all types of exercise.
      The more glycogen your muscles tuck away, the longer you'll be able to continue exercising before feeling tired. That's why
      carbohydrate loading, the practice of scarfing down large portions of pasta or other starchy foods, is common among endurance
      More...from the Globe and Mail at:

      14. Science of Sport:
      Plasma Expansion: If you're an endurance athlete, you need more blood than the individual who sits around watching the telly.
      After all, having a high blood volume reduces heart rate during exercise, delivers more oxygen to hard-working muscles, sends more
      red-hot blood to the skin for cooling, and furnishes a reserve supply of internal fluid, so that sweat rates can remain pleasantly
      high during exercise. Not surprisingly, an increase in blood volume is one of the basic physiological adjustments which the human
      body makes in response to endurance training.
      The beneficial role of blood-volume expansion has caused some athletes to wonder whether they can 'cheat' - ie, do rather unusual
      things to increase blood volume to exceptionally high levels before important competitions. There are basically two ways to do this:
      you can adjust your training to promote higher blood reserves, or you can run a solution containing a chemical called dextran into
      your veins. Dextran hangs around in the blood for a while, drawing in water by a process called osmosis.
      In recent research at the University of Utah, the dextran gambit worked very well - but not better than a training-induced blood
      expansion. At Utah, 10 experienced, competitive cyclists slipped about 14 ounces of an isotonic saline solution containing 6-per
      cent dextran into their veins and then tried to complete a rigorous cycling workout in as short a time period as possible. The
      dextran concoction boosted blood volume by about 9 per cent.
      More...from the Runner's Web at:

      15. Triathlon 101 with Coach Lance Watson - Pumping Up:
      By Lance Watson
      Question: Dear Coach Watson,
      There seems to be much controversy regarding weight training for triathlon. In your professional and personal opinion, is it
      essential or unnecessary for the average participant to invest time weight training, or can the time be better spent doing other
      sorts of resistance training?
      Also, would you say that weight training may be more important for certain individuals due to muscular imbalances and injury
      Answer: Thanks for writing! These are great questions.
      There are a number of factors every athlete must consider when deciding if (or how) to integrate strength training into an already
      busy triathlon-training schedule:
      Age: As we get older, we tend to experience muscle breakdown plus loss of mass, strength and flexibility. After the age of 35 it is
      beneficial for everyone to do some strength and flexibility work, whether they are a triathlete or not.
      Injury rehabilitation or strength imbalance: Weight training can also help develop strength and balance, which can aid in injury
      prevention and rehabilitation (i.e. imbalances in your antagonistic muscles, re-conditioning rotator cuffs, building back muscle
      mass after a broken bone or preventive work for supporting musculature that protects injury-prone areas.
      Specific performance needs: Strength training can target specific areas of strength or weakness to help you generate additional
      power output on the bike, better pull in the water, etc.
      More...from Triathlete Magazine at:

      16. Multisport: 12 Tips For Ironman Tapering:
      by Lisa Bentley, www.LisaBentley.com
      Over the past 6 years that I have been coached and mentored by Lance Watson, I would say that we have fine-tuned and perfected the
      taper portion of my training cycle. Magically, during every taper, the fatigue that builds up during the Ironman build phase
      vanishes. The “I’m never training for another Ironman – I want a life” mantra gets replaced with “can I do 4 Ironman races this
      year?” Once the taper begins, the drastic reduction in physical training refreshes my body and mind. All of a sudden, Ironman pace
      feels easy instead of labored and my little speedy race prep workouts feel sharp. My mind wants to race. My spirit is renewed and I
      feel ready to tackle the Ironman day! Here are 10 Ironman taper tips that can make your next Ironman your best journey.
      1. Before the official taper begins, say one month before your key Ironman race, decide on one key run workout and one key bike
      workout for each week and then, rest for them. Apply the same mental focus and physical effort that you want to execute on race day.
      During the normal Ironman build, the volume often gets very high and many of our workout become “completion exercises” – you just
      want to get them done. Well, these key run and bike workouts should be “execution exercises” where your goal is to mimic you race
      day attitude and effort. So essentially, your quality should improve and your quantity will decrease slightly. Hence, the taper is
      beginning unofficially.
      More...from the Runner's Web at:

      17. The Graceful Decline:
      A funny thing happens in an athlete’s career when you have kids. You go from caring more about your athletic goals to those of your
      kids. As your children grow, their sports, school and social activities start to consume your life. While you want to go to all
      their games, practices, meetings, and events, you also feel your athletic goals slipping away. Coming from someone who has
      transitioned from being all consumed by bike racing, training, and going to races every weekend from March through September, this
      can be a hard pill to swallow. Even though you scale back your athletic ambitions, it’s still in your system and you need to let it
      Compromise is the key along with flexibility. The first step is identifying what races you like or are important to you. From
      those, pick a handful, 2-5, that are your favorite races, or present a new challenge. Mark those on your calendar and circle them
      in red. Those are YOUR days. While missing certain other events may hurt a little, knowing you have a race or event coming up
      softens the blow.
      Now, you may miss your son’s or daughter’s event or practice that day, but you need to keep yourself in the game for yourself and
      for them. Doing so not only fulfills your base competitive desires, but sets an example for your children. While your kids may
      know you used to run or bike competitively, having them see you do it is 100 times better. It shows them the joy of competition and
      the fruit of all your hard work. They won’t care if you win or place in your age group, they will be proud of you for being out
      there trying your best, as you should be too. It doesn’t matter if you used to be a pro or local hotshot, you need to step back and
      enjoy it.
      More...from TriFuel at:

      18. Treadmill workout: Guaranteed speed!
      How would you like to receive a gift of additional athletic speed? People receive gifts of money, clothing, vacations -- why not
      athletic ability?
      I guarantee that at the end of just one of workout (shown below) you will run faster with less effort -- free speed! Don't believe
      me? I challenge you to give it a try. The workout is a session intended to stimulate the neuromuscular system. It's a version of
      formwork, similar to strides and accelerations, but packing more punch.
      This is not a typical running workout; but trust me -- at least for one workout -- so you can see the effect for yourself.
      Instructions for the treadmill workout
      Warm up
      The total warm up is 10-20 minutes. Begin the warm up with a speed that keeps you in Zone 1 (a very easy pace recovery-type speed)
      for 5-10 minutes, at zero incline on the treadmill.
      More...from Active.com at:

      19. Carbohydrate Loading:
      by Deborah Drewke
      Carbohydrate loading is a safe, natural way to gain a competitive edge and improve performance. Carbohydrate loading is done by
      manipulating dietary carbohydrate intake and exercise duration the week before a race. The regimen is only beneficial to endurance
      athletes who are competing in activities lasting 90 minutes or longer.
      The premise of carbohydrate loading is to supersaturate the muscle with glycogen - the storage form of dietary carbohydrate for
      later energy use. This concept is analogous to a bear feeding and storing up food for a long winter's hibernation. The stored
      glycogen is a reserve that is drawn upon and enables the athlete exercise for a longer period of time at an optimal pace before
      becoming exhausted. When the glycogen stores run out, the athlete runs out, "bonks" or "hits-the-wall" and becomes too tried to
      continue. Exercise must be stopped or the pace drastically reduced. Carbohydrate loading does not improve racing speed.
      Training effects the body's ability to utilize nutrients through cellular, enzymatic, and metabolic adaptations ultimately
      reflecting performance. Endurance training increases the activity of glycogen synthetase, an enzyme responsible for glycogen
      storage. The more active the synthetase the greater the amount of glycogen stored. An untrained individual stores 80-90 mmoles/kg of
      glycogen compared to 130-135mmoles/kg of glycogen in a trained individual. Additionally, capillaries and mitochondria densities
      increase, becoming more effective at fuel oxidation. In order for carbohydrate loading to be effective, you must be trained and
      deplete the muscle group that you plan to use during competition. It's sports specific.
      The fuel used during exercise is a combination of carbohydrate and fat. The ratio depends upon the intensity of the exercise. At
      higher intensities more carbohydrate is burned while at lower intensities more fat is burned. Endurance activities are typically
      performed at low intensities for a long duration so that there is a higher proportion of fat to carbohydrate burned. We store enough
      fat to run thousands of miles. However, carbohydrate stores limits us. Therefore, training and dietary manipulation are critical to
      endurance sport success.
      More...from the Chicago Marathon at:

      20. Does the World Know About Triathlon:
      So, I'm reading Bauer Tri News the other day in between trips to the coffee pot and the subsequent trips to the John when I see some
      solid research on triathletes and dating. Finally, statistics put to good use. I read on and to my dismay I find neither of the
      online dating 'services' offers triathlon as an interest. Now I'm not terribly naive and I don't expect much from other people
      especially the 'non active population' (more on that later) but come on. Triathlon is one of the fastest growing sports in the
      nation yet we're still fringe? Face it. We can't get our sport highlighted on a dating website though I'm sure bull riding or bass
      fishing is in there somewhere, giddy up.
      This whole little fit of thought got me thinking a little about some things. Most notably, does the world outside actually realize
      we exist?
      Triathletes seem to be some of the most beautiful people I've ever had the honor to be around. I mean this on many different levels,
      not only the superficial. Yes, many have lovely body's that are lean in the healthy way and they often have great tan lines and all
      that stuff. But many often have this wonderful vitality for life. They love challenges and adventures. They have great self-esteems
      and are usually quite optimistic. (Don't get me wrong. Some can still be self-righteous jerks that think the sport owes them
      something but these are few and far between.) Triathletes are downright fun to be around and if you ever doubt this, head out to
      Wildflower one year or go do an Xterra race (drink a beer for me when you go). Really, I could go on for a while. I could give our
      sport pages and pages of laurels but I'm sure there's some forum out there doing that as I type.
      More...from Bauer tri News at:

      21. Low zinc intake may sap exercisers' energy:
      Active people who get too little zinc in their diets may run out of juice sooner than they should, new research suggests.
      The study found that when 14 active young men followed a 9-week diet low in zinc, their cardiovascular fitness dipped in comparison
      to their performance during 9 weeks on a zinc-fortified diet.
      The reason appears to be related to an enzyme in the body called carbonic anhydrase, which relies on zinc for proper functioning.
      The carbonic anhydrase enzymes in red blood cells help the body expel carbon dioxide, with the demand rising substantially during
      When men in the new study followed a low-zinc diet, these enzymes were less active. The result was that, during exercise, their
      bodies were less efficient at "getting rid of carbon dioxide," explained study author Henry C. Lukaski, a researcher with the U.S.
      Department of Agriculture's Human Nutrition Research Center in Grand Forks, North Dakota.
      More...from Reuters at:
      [Multi-line URL]

      22. Here's to antioxidants:
      It's getting harder and harder to be naughty.
      It seems everything that was bad for you, even sinful, is now being scientifically proven to be good for you —and I'm not just
      talking about masturbation which, studies show, can reduce the risk of prostate cancer.
      All of a sudden chocolate, once a wicked indulgence savoured with guilt and all the more delicious because of that, is being
      marketed in the U.S. as healthy for your heart.
      (Millions of women already knew chocolate could help heal a broken heart but here we're referring to disease risk, not romantic
      In gold type over a deep chocolate background on a full page of a recent New York Times Style magazine, Lindt exclaims, about its
      Excellence line with 70 per cent and 85 per cent cocoa, "To die for is now to live for ... chocolate contains heart-healthy
      antioxidants and the darker it is, the more it has."
      "We are promoting a pretty unique, high content of cocoa and, as everybody knows, when you have a high content of cocoa, you have a
      high content of antioxidant," explains Carsten Wehrmann, vice president, marketing, Lindt and Sprüngli USA (http://www.lindt.com).
      The ad appears only in the U.S., presumably because upscale American consumers are so obsessed about health.
      But even more disturbing is what's happening with wine.
      More...from the Toronto Star at:
      [Multi-Line URL]

      23. Baring their soles for the sake of a good run
      Barefoot runners say they are less prone to injury. One shoemaker is taking a closer look.
      Running barefoot on the edge of the surf is a quintessential California experience, but some people aren't content with the
      occasional shoeless jaunt on the beach.
      They happily doff their tennies to go for regular jogs, hikes, even marathons. The practice, they say, is good for the body as well
      as the mind.
      Not only do some experts agree, a major shoe company is launching a shoe to bridge both worlds.
      If the world of barefoot running has a spokesman, it's Ken Bob Saxton. Saxton, a 49-year-old computer technician from Long Beach,
      started running barefoot on the beach in 1980 and years later made the transition to pavement. He did his first marathon barefoot in
      1997. Now, he says, putting on running shoes seems foreign. "I can't feel the ground, and I feel like I'm missing something," says
      Saxton, whose website is http://www.runningbarefoot.org . "You lose that sense of feel, like you're trying to do things with gloves
      Saxton also noticed that when running barefoot, his landing mechanics changed. Instead of coming down hard on his heels, he set down
      lightly on his heels and harder on the ball of his foot, which he sees as the body's natural shock absorber. Running barefoot, he
      thinks, has made him less prone to injury as he's strengthened his foot and ankle muscles.
      Curious shod runners often ask about the soles of his feet (tougher than most, but not hobbit-like) and pain; Saxton says the worst
      injury he's had happened while crossing a stream, and he cut his foot. "Comfort is overrated," he says with a laugh. "If you're
      comfortable all the time, then you can't appreciate it. If you get used to the variety, then it's invigorating."
      Sports such as soccer and football have never adapted to barefooting it, some for obvious reasons such as the lack of foot
      protection. Shoeless runners are still in the minority, although Saxton says he's seen numbers increase over the years: The 2004
      L.A. Marathon had four barefoot runners, and eight in 2005.
      More...from the LA Times at:
      [Long URL]

      24. Are my knees getting old?
      American Running Association
      I am 52 years old, in excellent health, and have been running for 22 years. Although I'm not a competitive runner, I have completed
      three marathons (four-hour, middle of the pack runner). I currently run 25 miles per week at an easy pace of 9:45 to 10 minutes a
      mile. I will be gearing up for another marathon later this year and will get my weekly mileage up to around 40 to 50 miles a week.
      I usually run six days a week with one long run. I try to stick to a hard-easy schedule, either faster or longer on the hard days. I
      keep within 10-percent increases for the long run as well as overall weekly mileage. I'm conservative and do things gradually,
      change my shoes every six months, and have recently added biking for "later life" insurance.
      Over the past few years I've noticed that my knee flexibility has diminished substantially from what it was a decade ago. My knees
      aren't hurting. It just isn't as easy to do certain things, like sitting on the floor and getting up, as it used to be. Is this
      stiffening up of the knees due to aging? Is it from the pounding of running? Is there anything I can do to increase my knee
      flexibility to regain some of my mobility, for example yoga? Does running help or hinder the aging process?
      More...from Active.com at:

      25. News Scan:
      * Nutrition Tip: How to Read Food Package Labels
      By Ken Mierke
      They say you are what you eat, and you certainly eat what you buy, so buying the right food is a huge part of bodyfat reduction. But
      how does an athlete cut through all the marketing hype about certain foods and get what's right? There are “low fat” peanut butter
      brands that get about 70 percent of calories from fat and then there are “healthy low-carb” foods made of bacon and cheese. We’re
      supposed to get lean by eating more pig?
      Remember that nutrition claims on packaging are about selling products, not about educating the consumer as to what they are buying.
      Ignore the nutrition hype on the packaging and check the FDA nutrition label. This is the one area of the packaging where a
      manufacturer will be held accountable.
      Look for products that have at least half as much protein as carbohydrate.
      Chose products that have more protein than fat.
      Remember that “low fat” means 30 percent less fat than the regular product and does not mean that the product isn’t loaded with fat.
      Check serving sizes. A small package of terribly unhealthy food may have only 50 calories and 20 calories from fat, but still
      contain 18 tiny servings.
      Check fiber content. Products that are high in fiber will be much more filling and less calorie-dense.
      For every package of food you buy, purchase at least one fresh fruit or vegetable and one lean meat.
      The only way to know what you are buying is to read manufacturers’ nutrition claims skeptically. Check the numbers.
      Exercise Physiologist Ken Mierke, author of Training for Triathlon Running, is head coach of Fitness Concepts and director of
      training for Joe Friel’s Ultrafit. Ken can be reached at Fitness Concepts @ http://www.fitness-concepts.com/

      * Weight loss without dietary restriction: efficacy of different forms of aerobic exercise.
      Gwinup G.
      Since obese patients with orthopaedic disabilities are often advised to undertake swimming as a part of a weight loss program, the
      effect of swimming on body weight was systematically studied. Minimally to moderately obese, otherwise healthy young women seeking
      to lose weight through a program of exercise without dietary restrictions were randomly assigned to one of three groups in which
      only the type of daily exercise was different. The three types of exercise were brisk walking, riding a stationary cycle, and
      swimming laps in a pool. All women slowly but progressively increased the time spent in daily exercise to 60 minutes. After 6 months
      or slightly longer, the women assigned to walking lost 10% of initial weight, the women who cycled lost 12%, but the women who swam
      lost no weight. The thickness of the subcutaneous panniculus over the middle of the extensor surface of the upper arm was measured
      using a Lang skin-fold caliper (Graham Field Co, New York, NY) and showed equivalent substantial reductions in the walkers and
      cyclists, but no change in the swimmers. The results of this study show that both walking and cycling are effective methods of
      reducing body fat, but that swimming is not.
      Publication Types:
      Clinical Trial
      Randomized Controlled Trial
      PMID: 3618879 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

      * New Prize $$ Structure at Dallas White Rock: This December 11 Texas marathon has announced a prize purse of $75,000 for its 36th
      running--$25,000 more than in '04. Prize money will be awarded to the first 10 marathoners, the first Dallas resident and the first
      wheelchair racer to finish in both the men and women's divisions.

      * Low fat, low protein diet boosts longevity
      The idea that animals live longer if they eat less has been shown to be not entirely correct - at least in fruit flies. For these
      insects, it is the type of food and not just the quantity that controls their longevity.
      It has been known for some time that “calorie restriction” significantly lengthens the lifespan of many non-primate species -
      everything from worms to fleas to mice. Linda Partridge at University College London, UK, and colleagues wanted to see if the effect
      was merely due to a reduction of total calories or of particular nutrients in the diet.
      So the researchers divided up their Drosophila melanogaster fruit flies into four groups and put them on different diets. The
      control group got the standard fruit fly lab meal of yeast, which contains protein and fat, and sugar - a meal boasting about 1200
      kilocalories per litre.
      The second group was fed on a calorie-restricted diet, with equal amounts of yeast and sugar - about 521 kilocalories per litre. The
      third group was given more yeast than sugar, while the fourth group got more sugar than yeast. The latter two diets had about 860
      kilocalories per litre each.
      Choice meal
      The flies on the calorie restricted diet lived the longest - 82% longer compared to the controls. But the flies on the higher
      calorie diet with reduced yeast intake did very well too.
      Lowering the amount of protein and fat in the flies’ diet helped increase lifespan by nearly 65%. “It accounts for nearly all of the
      effect,” says Partridge. “It cannot just be calories.” Eating less sugar increased longevity only by about 9%.
      Brian Kennedy, a researcher who works on calorie restriction and ageing at the University of Washington in Seattle, US, says: “It's
      these detailed studies that are going to unlock the secrets [of the effects of calorie restriction].”
      Journal reference: PLoS Biology (vol 3, p e223)

      ***End of Articles***

      This Weeks Featured Events:
      *Please verify event dates with the event websites*

      June 4, 2005:
      Banff to Jasper Relay - AB

      Freihofer's Run for Women 5K - Albany, NY

      Hospital Hill Run - Kansas City, MO

      Television CBC News World
      ING Ottawa Marathon Race Weekend 5:30 p.m. (EDT)

      June 5, 2005:
      Madrid ITU World Cup - ESP

      Rock 'n' Roll Marathon - San Diego, CA

      Steamboat Marathon - Steamboat Springs, CO

      Television CBC News World
      ING Ottawa Marathon Race Weekend 12:30 p.m. (EDT)

      For more complete race listings check out our Upcoming Races, and
      Calendars. Check the Runner's Web on Sunday and Monday for race
      reports on these events at:

      For Triathlon Coverage check out The Sports Network at:

      Your Feedback and Comments:
      Comments, contributions and feedback are always welcome via this list at: mailto:runnersweb@yahoogroups.com and in our Runner's Web
      Forum, available off our FrontPage. If you post to the mailing list and get your email returned, please contact the Runner's Web at
      mailto:webmaster@... to notify us of the problem. To update your Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the web

      Runner's Web
      A running and triathlon resource portal

      Runner's Web Affiliate Programs:

      Instant Stretching Routines
      Design unlimited stretching routines today, starting from scratch, in under 60 seconds!

      ShoeWallet.com has set out on a mission to enab<br/><br/>(Message over 64 KB, truncated)