Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest - April 1, 2005

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2005
      A Free Weekly E-zine of Multisport Related Articles.

      The Original Runner's and Triathlete's Web was founded in January of 1997 as a not-for-profit resource site. RunnersWeb.com Inc. is
      now a small business venture which sponsors the OAC Racing Team, a women's road racing and triathlon club, and the OAC Gatineau
      Triathlon and Corporate Relay and the Canadian Iron Distance Triathlon. The site is not in any way associated with the two UK
      "Runner's Web" copycat sites or the Runner's Web Book Store in the USA.

      Support our advertisers:

      1. Road Runner Sports, the world's largest running store at:

      2. Toronto Waterfront Marathon. September 25, 2005:

      3. Sof Sole Offer:
      A free pair of our technical socks ($9.99 value) with the purchase of any Sof Sole insole.

      4. Endless Pools
      Swim at home in your own endless pool.
      "Welcome to Endless Pools, where limited space can be easily converted into limitless possibilities. Measuring just 8' x 15', the
      Endless Pool, often referred to as a swimmer's treadmill, provides all the benefits of a full-size swimming pool in a fraction of
      the space. The Endless Pool’s adjustable current caters to swimmers of all skill levels. All Endless Pool components can fit through
      a standard doorway making installation possible in almost any area of your home. Ideal for swimming, exercise, therapy and fun.
      Our swimming pools are simple to maintain, economical to run, and easy to install inside or out." Visit the website and get a free
      DVD or video.

      5. FRS Plus - the antioxidant health drink.
      Free radicals are produced continuously in the human body. They are unstable molecules that cause damage to healthy cells and are
      the by-products of our bodies’ natural metabolic processes.
      Athletes create free radicals at a faster rate than non-athletes. As exercise intensity and duration goes up, so does our production
      of these harmful free radicals. Some have termed this the "oxygen paradox". Endurance exercise can increase oxygen utilization from
      10 to 20 times over the resting state, with a corresponding increase in free radical burden.
      To offset this increased free radical production in athletes, the body has some ability to adapt, by increasing our endogenous or
      internal supply of free radical scavengers. Free radical scavengers are compounds that can actively seek out and pair with reactive
      free radicals to neutralize their ability to damage cells.
      The implication of the oxygen paradox for athletes is that exercise though healthful in many ways, creates damaging free radicals.
      It is essential that athletes strive to consume large amounts of antioxidants from food and supplements to help augment their free
      radical scavenger supply. It has been shown that even short-term changes in dietary antioxidants can significantly affect the damage
      caused by free radicals in exercise.

      6. Team Diabetes
      Announcing the Latest Fitness Craze:
      See the World, Fulfill Your Dreams and Save Lives…
      How would you like to take an expense-paid trip to a fabulous destination and raise money for a worthy cause? If so, participate in
      a Team Diabetes Canada adventure fundraising program.
      Our international program allows you to walk or run in a world-class marathon event in fascinating cities around the world,
      including Rome, Reykjavik, Dublin, Amsterdam and Honolulu. We'll train you to satisfy your personal marathon goals, and you'll save
      countless lives.
      Benefits of Your Participation
      In return for your fundraising efforts, the Team Diabetes Canada program will provide you with:
      Guaranteed, free race registration
      Free accommodation and round-trip airfare
      Expert, individualized online training support through the Running Room
      Official team gear
      Fundraising materials and support
      And much more

      Shopping on the internet?
      Check out our new storefront just launched in partnership with HDO Sport:

      those of the Runner's Web. To comment on any stories in the Digest visit our Forum at:

      Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out our daily news,
      features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more. General questions should be posted to one of our forums available from our

      For new subscribers:
      This newsletter has been composed using Outlook set to "Plain Text" format. The Digest is sent via an email list at
      If you experience any delays in receiving your copy of the Digest, please advise us at:
      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for viruses. Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor
      (me) prior to being released to the group.
      If you have any questions regarding the options available for receiving this digest, please do NOT email the list, rather email me
      directly at mailto:Webmaster@...
      **[ Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two lines. If you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you
      paste the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or another appropriate suffix ].
      Note: An increasing number of media sites require free registration. If you wish to sign up for free access to sources for our
      articles without using your main email address we suggest the use of a mail alias program such as http://www.emailias.com

      THIS WEEK:
      Runner's Web Opens Online Store:
      Through a partnership with HDO Sports, the Runner's and Triathlete's Web has opened an online store. Check it out for your shopping
      requirements. Provide us with your feedback.

      Dave Scott Clinic in Ottawa.
      RunnersWeb.com and TriathlonOttawa.com are excited to announce that Ironman legend Dave Scott is coming to Ottawa for a clinic and
      speaking engagement on April 1-3, 2005.
      Triathlon is one of the fastest growing sports in Canada, and there is no personality in triathlon with a higher profile than Dave
      Scott. The six-time Hawaii Ironman World Champion was the first person elected to the Ironman Hall of Fame and remains very active
      in the sport today as a coach, writer and author.
      Scott's visit to Ottawa will be see him work closely with a group of 25 triathletes during the weekend clinic, covering all elements
      of the sport through both active and lecture sessions. For full details please visit
      About TriathlonOttawa
      TriathlonOttawa.com is a local organization in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada dedicated to the growth of triathlon and physical fitness in
      the region, through the provision of resources, training and educational opportunities.

      Attention All Canadian Marathoners!
      See the World, Fulfill Your Dreams and Save Lives…
      How would you like to take an expense-paid trip to Amsterdam and raise money for a worthy cause? If so, participate in Team Diabetes
      Canada’s Amsterdam Marathon adventure fundraising program. Team Diabetes' international program allows you to walk or run in the
      world-class Amsterdam Marathon. They'll fly you to Amsterdam, pay for your accommodation, give you training, and much more!
      Satisfy your personal marathon goals, and save countless lives at the same time.
      For more information visit http://www.teamdiabetes.ca or contact the Canadian Diabetes Association today at 1-800-BANTING Ext. 7095
      mailto:teamdiabetes@.... Don't delay! Registration ends April 15th for participation in the Amsterdam Marathon.

      Re RRW / World Junior Cross Country Annual 2004-
      I am pleased to announce the publication of World Junior Cross Country Annual 2004-5.
      Details of the book are as follows:-
      The book is compiled and edited by Lionel Peters and contains 44 pages of A5. The book covers the world junior cross country season
      The main contents are:-
      1 World Continental, Area and National Championships 2004
      2 Previous World and European CC Champs - results of athletes born 1986 and later
      3 World and European Junior CC Statistics – Medallists, Best National Performances, Medals Summary etc
      Price including post
      UK/Europe £5 Elsewhere £6
      A UK cheque, international money order or Cash/Currency
      B Credit Card or Paypal
      World Junior Athletics News, - 40 Berkeley Road London NW9 9DG England
      Email: Mailto:lionel@...

      Get our Syndicated headlines for you site.
      Add the Runner's Web News feed to your site through a simple JavaScript. Check out OnTri.com's implementation at:
      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is now available through an RSS feed for myYahoo at:

      If anyone is looking for a web mail provider, you might wish to consider Google's GMail. Currently you can get GMail by invitation
      only from a current user. My stock of "invites" has been replenished. I will give invitations to the first 40 Digest
      subscribers to respond (by email timestamp). Contact me at: mailto:kparker@....

      Microsoft® Alerts on RunnersWeb.com Inc.
      RunnersWeb.com Inc. now offers Microsoft® Alerts! This service lets you receive important messages through your MSN® Messenger or
      Windows® Messenger, your e-mail, or your mobile device. You can choose how and when you receive these messages by specifying your
      preferences during the easy setup process.
      Sign up at:

      We are currently at 1244 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they
      at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RunnersWeb/join.

      Race Directors:
      Advertise your event on the Runner's Web. Over 1.8 MILLION visits in 2004!
      For more information:
      For text ads check out our AdBrite partnership at:

      Runner's and Triathlete's Web Content Partners:

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey.
      Sheila is one of Ottawa's top multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public
      Health and works in the field of nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the University of California, San Diego. Her
      column index is available at:

      * Carmichael Training Systems
      Carmichael Training Systems was founded in 1999 by Chris Carmichael. From the beginning, the mission of the company has been to
      improve the lives of individuals we work with through the application of proper and effective fitness and competitive training
      techniques. Whether your focus is recreational, advanced, or you are a professional racer, the coaching methodology employed by CTS
      will make you a better athlete. Check the latest monthly column from CTS at:

      * Running Research News
      Running Research News is a monthly newsletter which keeps sports-active people up-to-date on the latest information about training,
      sports nutrition, and sports medicine. RRN publishes practical, timely new material which improves workouts, prevents injuries, and
      heightens overall fitness. Check our latest column from Running Research News at:
      On January 7th we started a new feature on the website - A Question and Answer with Owen Anderson from Running Research News.
      Send in your training related questions for Owen to answer to
      Check out the questions and answers from the Q and A Index page at:

      * Peak Performance Online
      Peak Performance is a subscription-only newsletter for athletes, featuring the latest research from the sports science world. We
      cover the whole range of sports, from running and rowing to cycling and swimming, and each issue is packed full of exclusive
      information for anyone who's serious about sport. It's published 16 times a year, including four special reports, by Electric Word
      plc. Peak Performance is not available in the shops - only our subscribers are able to access the valuable information we publish
      Check out our latest article from Peak Performance Online at:

      * Peak Running Performance
      Peak Running Performance Is The Number 1 Technical Running Newsletter In America! Check out their article index at:

      * WatsonLifeSport
      Lance Watson is "Just The Winningest Coach in Triathlon". He has been coaching triathlon and distance running since 1987. Over the
      years, Lance has coached some of the most successful athletes in the sport of triathlon and duathlon.
      Check out the Lance Watson Online Article Index at:

      This Weeks Personal Postings/Releases:
      We have NO personal postings this week.

      This Week's Digest Article Index:

      1. Science of Sport: Much More Than Diddley-Squat
      2. Science of Sport: Scientific Training
      How one former couch potato found a talent and then called on the appliance of science to become an elite performer.
      3. Multisport: Indicator Workouts
      4. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine March 27, 2005
      5. Regular Exercise Helps Protect Muscles In Elderly From Soreness, Injury
      6. Lactic Acid
      7. Joe Henderson's Running Commentary - Putting Actions into Words
      8. Perfectionism and Procrastination:
      “Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing.” – Harriet Braiker
      9. Does gym work make you a stronger cyclist?
      10. For Every Sport, a Super Sock
      11. Rest for the Weary
      Unquestionably, one of the hardest things for an endurance athlete to do is rest. It is much more satisfying to go out to the track
      and hammer sets of high intensity 400s, or do long slow distance runs in the heat (sometimes called long slow torture).
      12. Three Workouts to Boost Race-day Speed
      13. From Runner's World
      14. Playing it safe
      A pro athlete's injury can cost his team millions. For the rest of us, getting hurt can mean frustration -- or worse. Prevention is
      15. Raw food eaters thin but healthy
      People who follow a raw food vegetarian diet are light in weight but healthy, according to US researchers.
      16. How Olympic Timing Works
      17. Running Better:
      A Basic Guide to Help You Run Faster and Stay Injury Free.
      18. Sportsmedicine: Don't Miss a Step
      19. Priorities
      Be on the start line fit and healthy… kept very simple, this is the main priority we need to remember when preparing for an event or
      20. Cycling: Spin yourself thin
      How to make your spin class an effective tool for gaining fitness and losing fat.
      21. From Running Times
      22. Sports Psychology: Why Triathlons Can be Frightening for Beginners
      By Michelle Cleere, Sports Psychology Consultant .
      23. Sports Nutrition: Sheila's Nutrition Digest Vol. 4 - Beth Mansfield Interview (Part 1)
      24. What is the basic premise of altitude training?
      25. News Scan - A Collection of News Items

      Runner's Web Weekly Poll: "Which of the following have your purchased ONLINE in the past year?
      Books, Magazines
      Coaching Services
      Heart Rate Monitor
      Running Shoes
      Speed/Distance or GPS Watch
      Sports Drinks, Bars, Gels, etc.
      Sports Watch"

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage as well as voting on and/or checking the results of previous polls.
      Post your views in our Forum at:
      [Free Registration Required]

      Last week's poll was "In which of the following events will you compete this year?"
      The results at publication time were:

      Answers Votes Percent
      Answers Votes Percent
      1. Adventure Race 5 3%
      2. Cycling - Mountain 5 3%
      3. Cycling - Road 10 6%
      4. Running - Marathon 39 24%
      5. Running - Road race 52 33%
      6. Running - Track 13 8%
      7. Triathlon- Ironman 6 4%
      8. Triathlon - Olympic 12 8%
      9. Triathlon - Sprint 18 11%

      Five Star Site of the Week: World Duathlon 2005.
      World Championships
      Duathlon - The Event
      The main race at the Newcastle World Duathlon Championships will be the elite race with the top male and female Duathletes in the
      world, which will result in significant international and national media attention. The International Triathlon Union does not focus
      solely on elite competitors, and World Championship events also have an age group race, which attracts the majority of competitors,
      aged from sixteen to ninety years old.
      As warm-up competitions for these two events, two additional races will be marketed to the Newcastle community to increase the
      sports’ exposure. School aged children will be able to participate in their own short distance Duathlon, and first timers and novice
      adults will compete in a modified Duathlon.
      The event organisers’ aim is for all involved to have a positive event experience, including elite and age group competitors, new
      participants, volunteers and staff. The ITU Duathlon World Championship entry fee will include an opening parade and ceremony, a
      pre-race BBQ, race bag, post-race closing party, and weekend long festival. There will also be organised optional activities touring
      the region for participants and their supporters.
      As lead-up to the World Championships, Newcastle will hold an Australian Duathlon Team Qualifier – The Herald Duathlon Selection
      Race on the 24th April. This Olympic distance race will attract approximately 300 competitors and will serve as a test of the elite
      course and chance for Australians to get valuable racing experience. Prior to the World Championships, other states will hold
      national Duathlon events to increase the sports’ interest and exposure.
      Following the World Championships we hope to have legacies of hosting regular ITU World Cup Duathlon events in Australia, and an
      increase in Australian participation in Duathlon. With our current large teams of up to 300 Australians attending World Triathlon
      Championships, we hope to have an Australian Duathlon Team of 150 people in the future.

      Check out the site at:

      Send us your suggestions for our Five Star site. Please check our list of previous Five Star Sites available from the Five Star
      Window under the link "Previous Five Star Sites" as we do not wish to repeat a site unless it has undergone a major redesign.

      If you feel you have something to say that is worthy of a Guest Column on the Runner's Web, email us at
      mailto:webmaster@... or leave your comments in one of our Forums at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/forum.html or from our FrontPage.

      Book of the Week: Peak Performance: Training and Nutritional Strategies for Sport.
      Peak Performance is the perfect companion for the athlete or coach looking for every ounce of accurate practical information
      available from sports scientists. John Hawley and Louise Burke (world leaders in sport related science) have teamed up to produce
      the "lay-persons" guide to improved athletic performance. Peak performance introduces us to the founding fathers of modern athletic
      training. Our authors then explore the facts that have been uncovered by exercise scientists attempting to discover proof of what
      produces optimal performance. An excellent blend of theory and practice!
      Buy the book at:

      More books from Amazon at:
      and Human Kinetics at:

      This Weeks News:

      1. Science of Sport: Much More Than Diddley-Squat:
      By Owen Anderson, Ph. D. (copyright © 2003-2005)
      Weightlifters do it all the time. Downhill skiers rely on it for control and stability. Soccer, basketball, and hockey players like
      it. Even a few endurance runners, the ones who complete strength-training workouts on a regular basis, enjoy carrying it out.
      It's squatting - the performance of weight-bearing "knee bends," usually while supporting a weight on the shoulders. Squatting is
      sometimes considered to be the premier strength-training movement for athletes who run in their sports, since squatting engages the
      major muscle groups in the legs and requires simultaneous flexion at the hip, knee, and ankle, as is the case with each ground
      contact during running. It is also sometimes argued that squats, when performed properly, may help athletes achieve greater thoracic
      expansion, boosting ventilation capacity.
      But are squats really so great for athletes who run? Well, there really is evidence that squatting can improve maximal running
      speed. In research carried out at the Human Performance Laboratory at the NSW Academy of Sport in Sydney, Australia, athletes were
      divided into two groups, one of which performed squatting exercises while the other served as a control. At the end of the training
      period, squatting subjects improved performance during a 40-meter, all-out sprint by 2.2 percent and bolstered power output during a
      maximal, six-second bicycling test by 9 percent, while control individuals failed to improve at all (1).
      There is also evidence that squatting is a strong exercise for upgrading sport-specific strength. In a study carried out at the
      Department of Rehabilitation Medicine at Goteborg University in Sweden, 24 healthy subjects carried out either barbell-squat or
      knee-extension exercises twice a week for six weeks. All 24 athletes were tested prior to training and at the completion of the
      six-week training period. A three-rep-maximum barbell squat and a vertical jumping test were utilized to monitor the effectiveness
      of training (2).
      More...from the Runner's Web at:

      2. Science of Sport: Scientific Training;
      How one former couch potato found a talent and then called on the appliance of science to become an elite performer.
      This is a personal account of my life as a runner. At the age of 30 I was just an average bloke. I was stuck in a rut with a
      stressful job that had long, unsociable hours. I was overweight, taking no exercise and enjoying a smoke and a drink. Then something
      happened: whatever it was – an early mid-life crisis or a sudden awakening of an inner competitive spirit – it eventually changed me
      into an international athlete. It is an unlikely tale but this is exactly what happened.
      Not all of this story may seem relevant, but I believe it highlights a number of factors which athletes of all standards should
      consider in their pursuit of peak, or at least improved, performance. It shows why there is a need for careful planning, patience
      and progression in your lifestyle, training and racing. How vital the relationship is with your coach. How both athlete and coach
      have to have total belief in what they are doing and total respect for each other. Each has to have a full understanding of, and
      commitment to, the plan. Your coach has to understand you as a person. Yes, there are coaches who can motivate and inspire groups of
      athletes but to really coach an athlete takes time, energy, commitment and knowledge. I hope this article also demonstrates the need
      for the athlete to have personal responsibility for, and understanding of, their own training. After all it is the runner who does
      the running so, to my way of thinking, there had better be some good reasons why I am doing it! An athlete and a good coach should
      also be open-minded enough to evaluate and experiment with new and different training methods.
      This journey would never have happened were it not for the support of my wife or the guidance, generosity and knowledge from
      physiologist and coach Dr Tony Trowbridge. I must also thank Bruce Tulloh and his wife, and the willingness of a group of world
      class Kenyan athletes, who allowed an unknown old guy to be part of their group and share in their training methods for two months.
      It was a journey that would last just over 10 years. Along the way there were many unforgettable and exciting moments. There was
      also a great deal of hard work and disappointment. It was, without question, a journey that changed me as a person.
      More...from the Runner's Web at:

      3. Multisport: Indicator Workouts:
      by Dan Empfield (www.slowtwitch.com)
      Yesterday we published an interview with Brad Kearns and Andrew MacNaughton. These are two fun guys, and I knew when I held the
      interview I was going to get a dose of mirth, some elucidation, but certainly not the whole story as to how and why these guys shot
      to the top in such a hurry.
      Then Brad wrote more to me later in the day, after he'd seen the interview published on the site—especially after reading his
      friend's comments (I interviewed them separately). I felt that through Brad's subsequent comments a layer had gotten peeled back,
      and I included his words as an addendum (if you've read the interview and it didn't include this addendum, it's worth going back and
      reading it).
      Brad hinted that the real reason he and Andrew shot to the top in such a hurry was that they experimented with just how far they
      could go in their training. So many triathletes did that back then. They increased their training with a fearlessness I don't often
      see today. Brad writes of often riding 200 miles in a day. Brad wrote that the two of them would do, "...mile repeats on the track
      in sub-5 and kill each other. Or swim 6,000 yd workouts with swim team till arms fall off."
      They weren't the only ones. I know that Mike Pigg had a 180-mile route he'd do on the bike, and he'd have to get up well before dawn
      to complete it. I remember calling Ken Glah once at 9PM, about three weeks before Kona. I was ready to apologize for calling so
      close to his bedtime, but an out-of-breath Glah answered the phone, just in from a 130-mile ride followed by a 17-mile run.
      Kearns wrote about his own experience of preparing to face an unbeatable Kenny Souza in the Desert Princess race, and of riding a
      balls-out 140-mile ride, in which he cycled, "...the last 30 from Adelanto to Barstow in one hour—with a slight tailwind. When I got
      off the bike in Barstow I was certain that I would win."
      Tales of Scott Molina's training are legendary, and have been written about on SlowTwitch elsewhere. Paul Huddle and Mark Allen
      would go on 150-mile rides. Paula would hang on Mark's wheel for dear life the whole way, one of them training for an 8-hour
      Ironman, pulling the other to a sub-9.
      More...from the Runner's Web at:

      4. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine March 27, 2005:
      *** Why Cross Country Causes Injuries.
      Cross country running has the highest rate of injuries of all high school sports. The injury rate is even higher for girls than for
      boys. The extremely high injury rate is caused by asking runners to train and race in the same week. Most coaches know that you
      have to run very fast in practice to run very fast in races and the fastest way to train is to run intervals or fartlek, a series of
      short very fast bursts of running interspersed with slow jogging.
      Training is done by running very fast on one day, have your muscles feel sore on the next day, and not running fast again until your
      muscles feel fresh. The faster you run, the longer it takes to recover. Most high school runners take at least a week to recover
      from the soreness caused by a race. The coach typically takes them to a race on Saturday and asks them to run intervals on Monday or
      Tuesday, before they have recovered from the race. They are either injured by that interval session or else they are injured by
      racing the next Saturday, before their leg
      muscle have recovered from the interval session. If they run fast in races and slowly all the time in practice, they are less likely
      to be injured, but more likely to run slowly in races.
      The most effective way to prevent injuries is for a coach to set up at least two teams. Let each team race on alternate weeks, so
      each runner races on one week and trains fast twice in the next week.

      *** Dear Dr. Mirkin: Are fructose-sweetened sports drinks better than those made with ordinary sugar?
      No; fructose is not better for you than table sugar, and drinks that contain lots of fructose can cause intestinal gas. Fructose is
      a single sugar molecule, while granulated white table sugar is called sucrose and is made up of two single sugars, glucose and
      fructose bound together. When table sugar reaches your intestines, the double table sugar, sucrose, is immediately split into its
      single sugars, glucose and fructose. Almost all of the glucose is absorbed immediately into your bloodstream. In the presence of
      glucose in your intestines, most of the fructose is
      also converted to glucose, which is rapidly absorbed into your bloodstream. Regular sugar is absorbed so quickly that very little
      remains in the intestinal tract. However, when you take fructose without glucose, the fructose is not converted as rapidly to
      glucose, and the fructose is absorbed less quickly into the bloodstream. Therefore, some fructose passes along the intestinal tract
      until it reaches the colon where bacteria can ferment the fructose to cause gas and cramps. This is particularly important when you
      take fructose before or during exercise.
      Exercise speeds up the rate that fructose reaches your colon and increases your chances of getting gas pains and cramps.

      *** Dear Dr. Mirkin: You say that fructose is not absorbed as well as table sugar. I'm diabetic; doesn't that mean that fructose
      would be better for me?
      Again, no; several studies show that taking large amounts of fructose can harm a diabetic. Diabetes occurs when the body lacks
      insulin or cannot respond to insulin. Insulin is supposed to drive sugar from the bloodstream into cells. When insulin does not do
      its job, the sugar, glucose, accumulates in the bloodstream, causing a diabetic to feet sick and weak and even pass out. Fructose
      can get into cells without insulin, so some people incorrectly recommend that diabetics eat foods made with fructose. However, in
      the intestines and the bloodstream,
      fructose is converted into glucose, and the diabetic gets no benefit.
      Not only is fructose of no benefit to a diabetic, it can cause harm. Glucose causes fat cells to release leptin that makes you feel
      full, and prevents the stomach from releasing ghrelin that makes you hungry. Fructose does not affect leptin or ghrelin, so it
      increases hunger to make you eat more. Large amounts of fructose can block the body's ability to respond to insulin, so even more
      insulin is required. Furthermore, the liver converts fructose far more readily to a body fat called triglycerides, than it does with
      glucose. High triglyceride levels raise blood levels of the bad LDL cholesterol and lower blood levels of the good HDL cholesterol,
      which increases heart attack risk. The treatment of diabetes includes avoiding all types of sugar and other refined
      carbohydrates, losing weight if overweight, and exercising. It is not treated by eating fructose.
      *** This e-Zine is provided as a service at no charge. Dr. Mirkin's reports and opinions are for information only, and are not
      intended to diagnose or prescribe. For your specific diagnosis and treatment, consult your doctor or health care provider.
      For more information visit http://www.drmirkin.com
      Copyright 2005 The Sportsmedicine Institute, Inc. http://www.DrMirkin.com

      5. Regular Exercise Helps Protect Muscles In Elderly From Soreness, Injury:
      Researchers now have the physical evidence to show why it's important for older people to exercise. And it comes with the discovery
      that, in aging racehorses, regular aerobic workouts decreased the prevalence of muscle damage that can be caused by exertion.
      Mammalian skeletal muscle tissue is the same regardless of which species of mammal it is in, said Steven Devor, the study's lead
      author and an assistant professor of exercise science education at Ohio State University.
      He and his colleagues studied the effects of aerobic exercise – in this case, galloping on a treadmill – on small sections of
      skeletal muscle tissue taken from the limbs of retired racehorses. The findings support a “use-it-or-lose-it” philosophy: After 10
      weeks of regular workouts, the horses' muscles showed fewer signs of damage caused by exertion, even after the horses worked out at
      their maximum capacity.
      The results apply to humans and are especially important for older adults, Devor said.
      "We have to work at keeping muscle mass as we age, otherwise that mass wastes away," he said. "This weakness leaves a muscle more
      prone to injury even when it's the least bit exerted. Also, joints are less likely to break if the musculature surrounding them is
      More...from Science Daily at:

      6. Lactic Acid:
      The expression "lactic acid" is used most commonly by athletes to describe the intense pain felt during exhaustive exercise,
      especially in events like the 400 metres and 800 metres. When energy is required to perform exercise it is supplied from the
      breakdown of Adenosine Triphosphate (ATP). The body has a limited store of about 85 grms of ATP and would use it up very quickly if
      we did not have ways of resynthesising it. There are three systems that produce energy to resynthesise ATP: ATP-PC, lactic acid and
      The lactic acid system is capable of releasing energy to resynthesise ATP without the involvement of oxygen and is called anaerobic
      glycolysis. Glycolysis (breakdown of carbohydrates) results in the formation of pyruvic acid and hydrogens ions (H+). A build up of
      H+ will make the muscle cells acidic and interfere with their operation so carrier molecules, called nicotinamide adenine
      dinucleotide (NAD+), remove the H+. The NAD+ is reduced to NADH which deposit the H+ at the electron transport gate (ETC) in the
      mitochondria to be combined with oxygen to form water (H2O).
      If there is insufficient oxygen then NADH cannot release the H+ and they build up in the cell. To prevent the rise in acidity
      pyruvic acid accepts H+ forming lactic acid which then dissociates into lactate and H+. Some of the lactate diffuses into the blood
      stream and takes some H+ with it as a way of reducing the H+ concentration in the muscle cell. The normal pH of the muscle cell is
      7.1 but if the build up of H+ continues and pH is reduced to around 6.5 then muscle contraction may be impaired and the low pH will
      stimulate the free nerve endings in the muscle resulting in the perception of pain (the burn). This point is often measured as the
      lactic threshold or anaerobic threshold or onset of blood lactate accumulation (OBLA).
      The process of lactic acid removal takes approx. one hour, but this can be accelerated by undertaking an appropriate warm down which
      ensures a rapid and continuous supply of oxygen to the muscles.
      Lactic acid - friend or foe?
      More...from Sports Coach at:

      7. Joe Henderson's Running Commentary - Putting Actions into Words:
      (Concluding a recent series of Commentaries on marathon training. This piece appeared in longer form as a Marathon & Beyond column
      for March-April 2005.)
      One race didn't prove much. But I didn't settle for just the one Boston Marathon, my first and forever fastest.
      Instead I raced marathons (as opposed to running them just to survive, which came later) another two dozen times over the next dozen
      years. These races taught me why the first one had gone so well, and why some others hadn't.
      This one runner's experiences don't prove much, either. But I've published schedules in articles and then in books for more than 25
      years. Readers who used these programs have both verified their value and helped refine them.
      I never ran faster than that Boston time because I'd guessed just about right how to train for it. But because I didn't know what
      "right" was, I fumbled around in search of something better.
      My long runs reached as far as 32 miles, and as little as 12. I raced almost every weekend, and ran no races besides the marathon.
      My easy runs averaged more than an hour a day, and little more than a half-hour.
      Only when marathon racing was ending for me, in the late 1970s, did clear hindsight tell me how the training had and hadn't worked.
      Only then did I publish my first advice on the subject.
      Time is a great editor. Years of further trials and errors had to come between me and my best marathon before I saw which parts of
      the training program to highlight and which to cross out.
      A tidied-up version of the training done for Boston 1967 became the template for my first article on marathon training, written 10
      years later. A more clarified version of that program was published 20 years after that as a book, simply titled Marathon Training.
      (Its second edition came out in 2004.) The key words to this plan are "long," "fast" and "easy."
      -- Long runs. Success depends mostly on the long run, and everything else in the program is little more than filler. Move up to 20
      miles or so, by two-mile steps taken every two to three weeks. Run a minute or two per mile slower than projected marathon pace, so
      the total time-on-the-feet will just about match that of the race.
      -- Fast runs. Racing is the best speed training. Race on some of the weekends without long runs. Race no longer than 10K, so it's
      sure to be really fast, and so the race recovery won't interfere with the next long run.
      (Another way to train faster is to run half the latest long-run distance, at the expected pace of the marathon. Again, make this the
      only hard run that week.)
      -- Easy days. About nine in every 10 must be neither long nor fast. Keep these days easy -- no longer than one hour and at least one
      minute per mile slower than race pace for a similar distance, with one or more rest days each week.
      Critics of my published programs might say it errs on the light side. Not enough total running, not enough long running in distance
      and number of runs, not enough speed, not enough months of training? I respond that I wouldn't ask you to do anything more or harder
      than I did myself.
      With these writings I want to show that if I could train this way and race this well at Boston, why not you? I want to show you what
      is possible.
      From: http://joehenderson.com/archive/

      8. Perfectionism and Procrastination:
      “Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing.” – Harriet Braiker
      As we enter into a new race season filled with possibilities, it’s important to recognize the role perfectionism plays in our
      athletic ability. Like it or not, if you’re a triathlete, odds are good that you are, in large part, a perfectionist. Most “normal”
      people would feel content simply being able to swim, or to bike, or to run. Who else but a perfectionist would feel the need to do
      all three – one after the other after the other?
      “So what’s wrong with being a perfectionist?” you might ask. The answer is procrastination. For many perfectionists, the idea that
      they may not be able to do something perfect make them anxious. And what better way for them to prevent that anxiety than to avoid
      doing anything they cannot do perfectly?
      For athletes, procrastination poses a great challenge to our training – if we don’t train we can’t compete. Therefore, we have to
      stay on guard for all the various ways perfectionism causes us to procrastinate. For example, when we say that we are going to skip
      a workout because we don’t feel “up to it,” what we are really saying is “I can’t do this one perfectly so I’ll just avoid it.”
      More...from TriFuel at:

      9. Does gym work make you a stronger cyclist?
      Mention gym work on cycling forums and many will either turn off or look for the flame key. The controversy is about whether lifting
      weights in the gym will transfer directly to strength and/or endurance on the bike. Just for a moment, let's forget about whether
      increasing your strength in the gym will help your ability to pedal the bike as a direct result of lifting heavy weight.
      I suggest that the gym is a place to do other things to improve your body and is a critical part of anyone's training program. This
      of course assumes that the objective is to become a better athlete and/or a healthier person (not always the same thing).
      Spending huge amounts of time sitting on a little seat while in flexion and moving only your lower extremities is a recipe for
      muscle imbalance. This is particularly troublesome when you don't stretch tight muscles or possess the ability to properly activate
      the abdominal wall (especially the transverse abdominis). These imbalances easily translate to posture issues as well as joint
      instability on and off the bike, and they affect your life and health in general.
      More...from Active.com at:

      10. For Every Sport, a Super Sock:
      THE admissions brochure for Lenoir-Rhyne College in Hickory, N.C., extols the school's learned faculty, small class sizes and
      affiliation with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. There is no mention, however, of perhaps one of the coolest aspects of
      attending the college: the chance to help advance hosiery technology, and to score some free socks in the process.
      Lenoir-Rhyne's 1,492 students enjoy this unusual perk because of the school's proximity to Newton, N.C., the heart of the hosiery
      industry's answer to Silicon Valley. And among the many sock makers based in and around the town is Moretz Sports, which is in
      constant need of human guinea pigs. That is why the Lenoir-Rhyne campus was the first stop for Moretz's researchers in 2003, when
      the company began developing its PowerSox Elite PowerLites, a line of high-performance athletic socks.
      At the time, the PowerSox brand offered two versions for serious athletes: the heavyweight Pro-Thick and the thinly cushioned Sheer
      Power. Athletes often complained that the Pro-Thick was too bulky - and thus susceptible to sweat saturation - while the Sheer Power
      was too bereft of padding.
      More...from the NY Times at:

      11. Rest for the Weary:
      Unquestionably, one of the hardest things for an endurance athlete to do is rest. It is much more satisfying to go out to the track
      and hammer sets of high intensity 400s, or do long slow distance runs in the heat (sometimes called long slow torture).
      The mind set is that pushing yourself harder makes you stronger and faster. In truth it does, but only if there is sufficient rest
      to allow for recovery. This second part of the equation is sometimes forgotten, leading to a rest/recovery imbalance (RRI)
      and -ultimately - persistent fatigue, injury, or illness.
      Rest is what the athlete does, and comes in two forms, passive and active. Passive rest is doing nothing, and includes the time
      between workouts (sleep, etc...), or days off. Active rest is defined as very light exercise, often with stretching, which doesn’t
      result in damage to the muscles.
      An example of this is a 30 minute easy spin on the bike. The activity should be low heart rate (i.e., below the lower cutoff for
      aerobic work). The goal is to get a little increased blood flow to the muscles, and to prevent too much “stiffness” from setting in.
      Recovery is what the body does to repair the damage from a tough workout. The soreness that one feels for a day or two after hard
      exercise is due to damaged muscle cells, not lactic acid as is commonly believed. Immediately after exercise, the body sets to work
      to repair the damage.
      More...from World of Endurance at:

      12. Three Workouts to Boost Race-day Speed:
      Olympic-distance cycling requires power, a high anaerobic threshold coupled with aerobic capacity and efficient pedal stroke
      technique. As we get closer to race season, we should incorporate these concepts into our training each week.
      Here are three ways to do so:
      Pedal stroke efficiency and aerobic conditioning through high-cadence work (Flat terrain or trainer)
      Riding with a high cadence increases heart rate and oxygen demands of working muscles. This helps build aerobic capacity. But moving
      the legs quickly without you rear-end bouncing in the saddle requires that you move your feet and ankles in smooth revolutions
      through the circumference of the pedal stroke, as opposed to pushing straight down on the pedals and only applying power to 40
      percent of your pedal stroke revolution. Try this session in order to improve your high cadence.
      15-20 min.‚ easy gear at race cadence (85-95rpm)
      6 x 20 percent stand sprints, with 1:40 min. recovery or full recovery (spin easy gear)
      Main set:
      4-6 min. x 2-3‚ high cadence (98< RPM), with 3 min recovery (easy gear). HR climbs to race HR.
      4-6 x 1-1.5‚ high cadence (at your best average high cadence without bouncing in the saddle) with 1:30 min recovery (easy gear)
      HR climbs to 5-10 beat above race HR.
      20-30 min.‚ 60 percent effort, easy gear
      Start with a warm-up according to your needs. The set of sprints should be done starting at a slow speed, trying to reach the
      highest speed in the time given (i.e., start sprint at 15 km/h and finish at 38 km/h). This opens the arteries for blood flow and
      gets the legs moving quickly in anticipation of the high-cadence work.
      More...from InsideTri at:

      13. From Runner's World:
      * Coach's Corner
      "Big goals are achieved more easily if you break them down into smaller goals, which are then used as stepping stones to reach the
      final goal. For example, instead of trying to qualify for the Boston Marathon before you've ever run a half-marathon, your first
      goal should be to finish a 10-K within the next 2 months. As this goal approaches, plan your second goal of finishing a
      half-marathon in the next 3 months, and so on." -Jeff Galloway
      * Injury Prevention
      Any exercises that help improve your flexibility, strength, and coordination will also help prevent muscle cramps. Simple activities
      such as leaping, hopping, and skipping are all effective ways to strengthen your lower-body muscles and keep them loose at the same
      * Performance Nutrition
      A glass of orange juice (8 to 12 ounces) furnishes a heaping dose of vitamin C, which aids in muscle recovery, fights the effects of
      stress, increases energy levels, and helps maintain your immune system.
      * Editor's Advice
      "Sign up for a distant race. That is, one that's at least 500 miles away. The extra incentive of paying for airfare and a hotel room
      will add to your motivation to follow your training plan. And your family will love you for it." -Charlie Butler, RW features editor
      * Training Talk
      "A knee problem--even a serious one--isn't an excuse not to exercise. In fact, the opposite is true: it makes regular exercise more
      important than ever." -From "The Knee Crisis Handbook" by Brian Halper

      14. Playing it safe:
      A pro athlete's injury can cost his team millions. For the rest of us, getting hurt can mean frustration -- or worse. Prevention is
      Angel pitcher Matt Hensley comes off the field after throwing a few innings in a spring training game and heads for the training
      room. There he's put through a methodical rotator cuff exercise, gets a soft tissue massage and has his shoulder packed in ice. The
      treatment isn't pitcher pampering; it's part of a comprehensive program geared to one thing: sports injury prevention.
      Most people will never make it to the major leagues, but weekend warriors and other adults who exercise may share one thing with pro
      athletes: suffering the pain and frustration of an injury. For the dedicated runner, the enthusiastic softball player or the
      occasional golfer, sports injuries can mean anything from sore muscles to a torn ligament that requires surgery. And although
      millions of dollars aren't at stake for most of us, as with the baseball pitcher who is sidelined for months with an injury, getting
      hurt can greatly affect one's quality of life.
      Doctor visits, repeated physical therapy treatments, surgery and persistent pain can lead to depression and frustration, especially
      if exercise is an important part of one's life.
      Jenna Ainsworth, a 21-year-old senior at Pepperdine University, suffered a ligament tear during her sophomore year while playing
      soccer. The injury required surgery and several months of recuperation.
      "You definitely notice a difference when you can't work out," she says. "Your mood is definitely affected. I realized how much I
      enjoyed running, doing the elliptical trainer, hiking, all sorts of things."
      More...from the LA Times at:

      15. Raw food eaters thin but healthy:
      People who follow a raw food vegetarian diet are light in weight but healthy, according to US researchers.
      It has been suggested that eating only plant-derived foods that have not been cooked or processed might make bones thinner and prone
      to fractures.
      But a study in Archives of Internal Medicine found although bones were lighter on this diet, turnover rates were normal with no
      The lower bone mass is down to raw food eaters being slim, believe the authors.
      The researchers compared the bone health of 18 people who had been following strict raw food diets for up to 10 years with that of
      people who ate a more typical American diet, including refined carbohydrates, animal products and cooked foods.
      The raw food diet is different to more typical vegetarian and vegan diets, which do not exclude cooked, processed or otherwise
      refined foods.
      The groups were matched according to age, sex and socioeconomic status.
      To gauge bone health, the researchers looked at each person's body weight, bone weight and mineral density, markers of bone
      turnover, levels of vitamin D and inflammatory markers.
      More...from the BBC at:

      16. How Olympic Timing Works:
      Sport by Sport: Summer Games
      The Olympic Games are held every two years, alternating between summer and winter athletic events. Because of the distinctions
      between these events -- from distance considerations to weather concerns -- the timing technology can vary greatly from sport to
      sport. Let's start with summer events.
      In sprint races like the 100-meter dash, which can last as few as 10 seconds, timing is of the essence. Therefore, every aspect of
      timekeeping is electronic, even the starting gun.
      Once the runners are crouched with both feet on the pads on their starting blocks, a timing official pulls the gun's trigger,
      sending an electrical current through the attached copper wire cable to the starting blocks and a separate timing console. The
      current sets off a quartz oscillator in the timing console, while the sound of the gun is simultaneously amplified through speakers
      on each runner's starting block (so all competitors hear it at the same time).
      More...from How Stuff Works at:

      17. Running Better:
      A Basic Guide to Help You Run Faster and Stay Injury Free.
      By Coach Al Lyman, CSCS
      One of the topics that has held great interest for me over the years as I considered how best to help other runners improve is that
      of running form and technique. For as long as I have looked for ways to improve my running, I have seen that running form has been
      ignored by most runners (and many coaches) because it is believed that everyone is “born” with their own way of running and that
      ability cannot change or more importantly, improve.
      It’s also believed (erroneously I might add) that running technique shouldn’t be changed, i.e. people will always find their optimum
      method and speed on their own through experimentation and repetition. After years of running and coaching involving lots of research
      and practical experience, I can confidently say that this is a myth.
      In a nutshell many runners and coaches believe, “if it works, don’t fix it.” As the numbers of runners who are out of commission due
      to running related injury remains high, it is clear to me “it” isn’t working. All I can say is, fortunately this “if it works don’t
      fix it” mentality doesn’t permeate the auto industry or we’d all still be driving Model Ts!
      It’s my feeling that with a little knowledge and discipline, each one of us can make a variety of small but critical adjustments
      which can and will improve our running, helping to increase our efficiency and power, while also reducing our risk of injury.
      The best and most direct approach to improving your running form is to attend one of my technique clinics! . If you are unable to do
      that, or if you have attended the clinic and are looking for some follow up information, then read on.
      More...from the Runner's Web at:

      18. Sportsmedicine: Don't Miss a Step:
      For many runners, running and heel pain often go hand in hand. Plantar fasciitis, the most common cause of heel pain, is
      increasingly common among many people, particularly athletes. Although plantar fasciitis and other similar types of heel pain such
      as heel spurs can be prevented and easily treated in most cases, it can still cause significant discomfort and can significantly
      impact a runner's performance. For this reason, heel pain prevention and treatment should be an important consideration among
      runners when training.
      The plantar fascia is a thick band of fibrous tissue that attaches to the heel bone and runs almost the entire length of the foot.
      When excessive strain is placed on the ligament, it can cause the ligament to become taut and sometimes cause it to pull away from
      the heel bone. When strain becomes excessive, small tears and inflammation can develop, resulting in aching pain. The condition of
      plantar fasciitis can be particularly disruptive to an athlete's lifestyle, affecting their training and performance.
      More...from the Runner's Web at:

      19. Priorities
      By Coach Mark
      Be on the start line fit and healthy… kept very simple, this is the main priority we need to remember when preparing for an event or
      All too often I find athletes allow their training to compromise what should be their priority. Unfortunately, looking back over the
      years (and I'm not that old and haven't been around that long), I can identify a number of occasions when the number one priority
      went out the window in search of performance, or too often, that 'elusive' performance.
      Too often we are willing to compromise our number one priority: to be on the start line fit and healthy, ready to race. What
      proportion of a field in a marathon is truly fit and healthy? 50%? Fewer? Or more? How many are nursing niggly injuries, how many
      are unwell with illness or have the symptoms of overtraining? Ask yourself these questions and it becomes apparent that there are a
      lot of athletes out there who could be doing things better. Unfortunately we let training sessions, weekly mileage totals, training
      times, distance covered in a session and so on, become the focus of our training.
      Take for example a local 5km fun run series. These are held in a number of centres throughout the country. Is it better to race the
      whole series, complete each event within a few seconds of each other and perhaps win the series overall, or turn up and blow
      everyone away in one or two of the races but struggle to be on the start line for the rest of the races? Which scenario do you think
      you would enjoy more?
      How about a marathon? Is it better to train so hard with the goal of being 100% fit and in the best shape of your life if you cope
      with the training and make the start line, or play the odds and train so that you are 95% fit but more or less guaranteed to be on
      the start line and in good enough shape to perhaps get a PB, but at least compete and complete?
      Does it matter if you can belt out a set of kilometre intervals in less than three minutes if you can't back it up with some race
      results because you are injured or just plain burnt out? Far better to be able to say you won a local 10km or broke 31 minutes for
      the distance.
      So let's look at what we can do to take care of priority number one, being fit and healthy on the start line:
      More...from Endurance Coach at:

      20. Cycling: Spin yourself thin:
      How to make your spin class an effective tool for gaining fitness and losing fat.
      As the days grow shorter and cooler, the opportunity to enjoy outdoor activities is fleeting. Don't despair; there are plenty of
      options to maintain the fitness you've gained during the summer months, or to slim down as the holidays approach. Spin classes are a
      great way to do this. Both the fitness enthusiast and the hardened cyclist will find a variety of benefits from adding a spin class
      or two to a weekly workout routine. Just remember your towel and a water bottle or two; these workouts are tough!
      If you are unfamiliar with spinning classes, they are fitness classes taught at most gyms on stationary bikes. Equipped with the
      equivalent to a fixed gear system, spin bikes do not allow the rider to coast because there is no free hub; be ready to keep your
      legs pedaling circles until you can grab the brakes! Most spin bikes are also very user friendly and adjustable so participants can
      get the most comfortable fit. Many are also equipped with a variety of clipless pedals so you can use the same shoes indoors that
      you use when it is warm outdoors. This is great news for the seasoned cyclist who trains year-round since the bike fit and equipment
      will be familiar. Also, because of the fixed-gear system, your pedaling mechanics should improve significantly.
      More...from the Runner's Web at:

      * Medial Corner - Blood Pressure Medications and Running
      Q: Recently my doctor told me I have moderate high blood pressure. I have been put on a couple of different medications and am not
      happy with the negative effects on my running. My question is: Are there any groups of blood pressure meds that are friendly to
      running? Any specific ones that folks have found not to inhibit running?
      A: High blood pressure is a common medical problem, even in athletes. Although exercise will lower blood pressure in most people, it
      may not reduce the pressure to an acceptable level. There are a number of classes of medications that are used to lower blood
      pressure; all medications have side effects, some mild, and some are fairly significant. The goal is to find a medication with the
      fewest side effects for a particular person.
      The antihypertensive medications that endurance athletes tolerate the best include angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors (ACE
      inhibitors), such as enalapril, lisinopril, etc. Angiotensin II receptor antagonists, such as losartan, are effective and well
      tolerated. Other blood pressure medications that may not affect performance significantly include some of the calcium channel
      blockers and specific beta blockers.
      If you let your physician know about problems that you are experiencing, a little trial and error should find an acceptable
      Make sure that you monitor your blood pressure and follow-up with your physician. --Cathy Fieseler, M.D.

      21. From Running Times:
      * Training Tip of the Month - Training Smart
      With the spring racing season approaching or upon us, we are often tempted to hammer our weekly or twice-a-week speed workouts to
      ensure that we are racing fit. While training hard has its place, training too hard is detrimental to your running success. Even
      elites will point this out, as they did at the recent Rocky Mountain Distance Summit. Presenter after presenter, from Steve Slattery
      to Kevin Sullivan to Tim Broe, all said that the real key to success in distance running is consistency: getting in a good run every
      day for months and years. That is the hardest work, and the most important. No single workout, no matter how intense, can replace
      days of consistent running. Shalane Flanagan may have summed it up best when she stressed, "train smarter, not harder," so that you
      can train the next day, and the day after that, and the day after that. Learn the appropriate pace for each workout and run that
      pace. Running too hard will, at worst, put you on the injured reserve list, and, at best, make you too tired to do the other key
      workouts in the week. As races approach, trust your training, and save the eyeballs-out, ears-pinned-back, tunnel-vision running for
      the race.

      22. Sports Psychology: Why Triathlons Can be Frightening for Beginners:
      By Michelle Cleere, Sports Psychology Consultant
      As a triathlon coach and a sports psychology consultant having worked with numerous first time triathletes there are two main things
      challenges that really get in the way for participants. The swim is almost always scary for first timers because many people who
      decide to join the ranks of triathloning have never swum before. And the time commitment in training for three sports is generally
      very daunting for beginners with busy schedules.
      Many triathletes start out their athletic careers as runners and decide to move into doing triathlons because they want more of a
      challenge. Generally the thinking is as follows: cycling is no big deal but swimming, is a big deal and although swimming might draw
      them into the sport because it's a challenge it's also the biggest factor in scaring people from doing triathlons. The ocean is
      huge, big and scary and it's seemingly more of an unknown than cycling. The time commitment is another concern for many beginning
      triathletes. How do I find enough time to train for three individual sports? What ends up happening for many beginners is that
      instead of triathlon training being a nice relief/change from what they are currently participating in it becomes overwhelming and
      they grow resentful of it because they've emeshed themselves into something they were unprepared for.
      More...from the Runner's Web at:

      23. Sports Nutrition: Sheila's Nutrition Digest Vol. 4 - Beth Mansfield Interview (Part 1):
      By Sheila Kealey
      April 1st, 2005
      Sheila's Nutrition Digest
      In this new series, XC Ottawa (and OAC Racing Team) member Sheila Kealey will help athletes choose the best foods for performance
      and overall health. Sheila has a Masters in Public Health and works in the field of nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate
      with the University of California, San Diego.
      Have you ever wondered if your athletic performance could benefit from nutrition counseling or better nutrition knowledge? I caught
      up with Beth Mansfield, an expert in the area, to share her thoughts on nutrition counseling for athletes. Beth educates Canadian
      athletes of all levels, including Olympians, national and provincial team athletes, as well as University, masters and recreational
      athletes on sport nutrition for health and performance.
      Beth is a Registered Dietitian, Sport Nutrition & Exercise Specialist with Peak Performance, a sport nutrition and corporate
      wellness consulting company in Ottawa. She also develops sport nutrition and conditioning programs for the sport horse - equine
      athlete. Beth is a popular corporate wellness speaker throughout Canada and also maintains a therapeutic lifestyle change (TLC)
      clinic for people with elevated cholesterol at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute. She is currently working on her PhD at
      McGill University focusing on energy balance and body composition in health and disease.
      Check out Beth's regular show on CJOH/CTV the 1st Wednesday of every month on the News at Noon.
      More...from the Runner's Web at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news/rw_news_200<br/><br/>(Message over 64 KB, truncated)