Runner's Web Digest - November 5, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2004
      Runner's Web Digest - November 5, 2004

      The Original Runner's and Triathlete's Web was founded in January of 1997 as a not-for-profit resource site. RunnersWeb.com Inc. is
      now a small business venture which sponsors the OAC Racing Team, a women's road racing and triathlon club, and the OAC Gatineau
      Triathlon and OAC Corporate Relay. The site is not in any way associated with the two UK "Runner's Web" copycat sites or the
      Runner's Web Book Store in the USA.

      This issue is brought to you by Road Runner Sports, the world's largest running store at:
      http://www.roadrunnersports.com/cgi-bin/rrs/rrs/rrHome.jsp?sc=CBM-00105&prfc=1

      Runner's Web Affiliate Programs:

      HDO Sports - Leading Edge Sports Products
      http://www.modularmerchant.com/clients/hdo/?aid=12

      Puma
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000006585654

      Fitsense Speed, Distance & Heart Rate Monitoring System for Runners and Walkers
      http://buy.fitsense.com/processing2.asp?ID=28&Ad=101

      Peak Performance Online
      Free Copy of Peak Performance!
      High-quality training newsletter worth £4 ($6) delivered straight to your door
      http://www.pponline.co.uk/sendme/free.php?aff=runnersweb&sub=run

      HDO Sport for Timex Body Link products
      http://www.modularmerchant.com/clients/hdo/?aid=13

      ITUtv.com
      Live webcasts of triathlons and multi-sport events.
      http://www.itutv.com/
      Use promo code "RUNNERSWEB" to get a $5.00 discount.

      Blockbuster
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000005675551

      Fairmont Hotels
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000005674720

      Triathlon Meetup
      http://triathlon.meetup.com/r/d5n6/d5n6/0/http://triathlon.meetup.com/?a=d5n6/">
      593 are signed up for local Triathlon Meetups! Happening THIS month, find out when .

      The Finish Line
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000005637857

      Patagonia
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000005568199

      Motorola
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000005463364

      AOL Broadband
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000005348025

      Get the GM Card, get 5% Earnings from every credit card purchase, and start charging toward a new GM car, truck or SUV.
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000005347188

      ING DIRECT makes $aving money simple! Open your account online today and start earning 2.10% variable APY. No Fees and No Minimums!
      http://www.qksrv.net/click-1452277-10124087

      TriSwim Coach - The Complete Guide to Triathlon Swimming
      http://hop.clickbank.net/?rhianyth/triswim1

      Sof Sole Offer:
      A free pair of our technical socks ($9.99 value) with the purchase of
      any Sof Sole insole.
      http://www.sofsole.com/pages/promo/rwebsockoffer.html

      Get Fit Running: If you are 150 pounds, sleeping burns 61 calories an hour, race walking burns 442 calories and running 5mph burns
      544 calories an hour! To reach your personal, health, fitness, and performance goals, subscribe to RUNNER'S WORLD today!
      (Get fit with Runner's World)
      http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=pgaZgw/VDU4&offerid=58447.10000229&type=3&subid=0

      adidas' running apparel at 15% off! All running shorts, pants, and
      shirts at reduced prices .
      http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=20812557&siteid=39999062&bfpage=1574537

      If you have an accident while running or cycling, do you want your family to be contacted? Do you want to receive immediate and
      proper medical treatment? If so, make this cool item part of your gear -- for safety and peace of mind. Road ID has created 4
      awesome ways for athletes to wear ID: the SHOE, the WRIST, the ANKLE, and the NECK.
      Get your RoadID at:
      http://www.roadid.com/?referrer=50

      The TRACK PROFILE Reader 2004, an in-depth review of the 2003 season by Bob Ramsak, is now available. Selected from hundreds of
      reports filed by the Track Profile News Service last year, The TRACK PROFILE READER provides a unique look back at the
      personalities, stories and events that defined track and field in 2003. With in depth profiles of the sport's biggest stars and
      comprehensive on-site reports from major competitions, this annual review takes the reader beyond the results, providing a perfect
      companion for casual and
      diehard fans alike. Check out the book at:
      http://www.booksurge.com/author.php3?accountID=GPUB00341&affiliateID=A000497

      The Stretching Handbook:
      http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/cgi-bin/at.pl?a=286905
      The Stretching Video in a DVD version. With the DVD version you're able to use the convenient menu facility to:
      * Go directly to a specific stretch;
      * View only stretches for a specific muscle group;
      * Pause each stretch to get a good look at how it is performed;
      * View only the introduction and rules for safe stretching; or
      * Play the entire video from start to finish.
      Buy the DVD at:
      http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/cgi-bin/at.pl?a=286905&e=products/video-dvd.htm

      Buy all your sporting goods at Fogdog Sports, your anytime, anywhere sports store.
      Click here: http://www.fogdog.com/cgi-bin/affiliate?siteid=40054907

      How To Run And Enjoy The Marathon By James Raia:
      Price: $7.95
      As a practical guide to the 26.2-mile journey, How To Run And Enjoy The Marathon is a series of 15 self-help and service-oriented
      articles about running marathons - the proper shoes to running etiquette - is written by James Raia, a journalist and veteran
      middle-of-the-pack marathon and ultramarathon runner in Sacramento, Calif.
      Buy the book at:
      http://hop.clickbank.net/?rhianyth/eltomaja

      The Runner's Web Digest is a weekly e-zine dealing with the sports of running and triathlon and general fitness and health issues.
      The opinions expressed in the articles referenced by the Digest are the opinions of the writers and not the Runner's Web. To
      comment on any stories in the Digest visit our Forum at:
      http://excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=4655

      This newsletter has been composed using Outlook set to HTML format. The Digest is sent via an email list at
      http://groups.yahoo.com.
      If you experience any delays in receiving your copy of the Digest, please advise us at:
      mailto:webmaster@...

      Webmasters:
      Get our Syndicated headlines for you site.

      Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out our daily news
      features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more. General questions should be posted to one of our forums available from our
      FrontPage.

      For new subscribers:
      If you have any questions regarding the options available for receiving this digest, please do NOT email the list, rather email me
      directly at mailto:Webmaster@...

      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for viruses. Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor
      (me) prior to being released to the group.

      NOTE
      **[ Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two lines. If you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you
      paste the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or another appropriate suffix ].

      References/URLs:
      Most references in the digest which do not have a specific URL listed here are available from the Runner's Web FrontPage (or
      Archives) at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html
      Also, if have email software that does not read HTML, all links contained in the Digest are available from the Runner's Web. All
      URLs listed here have been verified as of the Digest publication date. It is possible that the site may have archived or deleted the
      page after publication. If you are unable to reach a URL listed here, ensure that you are using the entire URL (see above). If you
      still cannot reach the site, please email me at: mailto:webmaster@... and I will try to track it down.

      Note: Some sites require free registration. If you wish to sign up for free access to sources for our articles without using your
      main email address we suggest the use of a mail alias program such as www.emailias.com.

      New This Week:

      Ottawa Gets an Ironman Distance Triathlon. Somersault Promotions has added an Iron Distance race to their Labour Day Weekend family
      of multisport events. The Canadian", a certified ironman distance triathlon & duathlon, along with the traditional "The Canadian
      Half" triathlon & duathlon, "The Canadian Sprint" and "Try A Tri", will be hosted in the heart of Ottawa at the Rideau Canoe Club on
      September 3rd, 2005.
      The Runner's Web will be working with Somersault to promote this event, the only Iron Distance race in Ontario.
      For more information:
      http://www.somersault.ca/

      The Runner's Web is please to welcome SportHill Clothing as an advertiser.
      Since 1985, SportHill has been committed to providing the world's best performance athletic clothing. Each item is designed to meet
      or exceed the rigorous requirements of elite runners and skiers including the Olympic Canadian Cross Country Ski Team. Our clothing
      is trusted essential wear for high school, university, corporate and military teams nationwide
      Visit their site at:
      http://www.sporthill.com/

      We are currently at 886 members as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe
      at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RunnersWeb/join

      Athletes - Interested in getting sponsored?
      Amateur endurance athletes can win a GNC sponsorship (just like the Pro's) to help them achieve their endurance goal. Check out the
      site and enter to win:
      http://www.gncproperformance.com/sponsorship/Default.aspx?lang=en

      Race Directors:
      Advertise your event on the Runner's Web. Over one million pageviews in August!
      For text ads check out our AdBrite partnership at:
      http://www.adbrite.com/mb/commerce/purchase_form.php?opid=15182&afsid=1

      To comment on any stories in the Digest visit our Forum at:
      http://excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=4655

      Check for our weekly feature by Owen Anderson of Running Research News.
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RRN_index.html

      Our latest column (Three common Triathlon Injuries: Prevention & Treatment by John Phillips) from Carmichael Training Systems
      is available at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/cts_columns.html.

      Our latest column (A 10-K "Shadow" On Your Legs by Owen Anderson) is available at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RRN_index.html

      Check out our latest article from Peak Performance Online (Muscle Soreness) is available at:

      We have NO personal postings this week.
      Personal Postings, when available, are located after the Upcoming Section towards the bottom of the newsletter.

      This Week's Digest Article Index:

      1. The hydration equation
      How does an endurance athlete balance the common risks of dehydration with those of hyponatremia?
      2. Infections Linked to Training and Racing
      We possess a limited number of anti-stress factors. The word "stress" includes anything which reduces the body’s ability to function
      efficiently, eg stress fracture, colds, coughs and fevers.
      3. Science of Sport: A 10-K "Shadow" On Your Legs
      4. Blind Mountain Climbers Challenge Prejudice, and Reach for the Sky
      5. Shame on us for letting our children become obese
      6. Drinking Water To Maintain Good Health. The Beverage Your Body Needs Most
      7. Nutrition Wise: For weight loss, low-carb not as important as low-calorie
      8. FDA: Olive oil may boost heart health
      Products can be labeled as 'may reduce heart disease risk'
      9. 2004 Guide to Running Pants and Tights
      A Few of Our Favorite Things for Cold Weather Running.
      10. Optimal Marathon Training Sessions
      11. Training and Competing in the Mystery Zone
      12. Run Your Way To Better Bone Health
      13. Study: Children don't exercise nearly enough at preschool
      14. The snows of Kilimanjaro
      Dr. Lorna Adams rises to the challenge of climbing Africa's tallest peak
      15. Fruit, veggies linked to heart health - Cancer risk link uncertain
      A multiyear study involving more than 100,000 participants provides added support that eating lots of fruit and vegetables is good
      for the heart.
      16. A Cup of Joe?
      The Case For Caffeine
      17. You have to get out of shape to get in shape
      18. Carbohydrates necessary for marathon runners
      Despite the no-carb craze, carbohydrates are needed to fuel the brain and muscles.
      19. Cycling mudbath 'investment in health'
      Cyclocross designed as way for riders to keep fit over winter.
      20. The bike that's made to measure
      21. Posture Perfect
      Improve your posture and improve your performance!
      22. Drug for Osteoporosis Curtails Knee Arthritis
      23. From Runner's World
      24. Group Training
      25. News Scan

      Runner's Web Weekly Poll:
      This week's poll is: "Which of the following women played the greatest role in advancing women's distance running globally?"

      Cast your vote at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html
      Post your views in our Forum at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/runnersweb_forum.html
      [Free Registration Required]

      The previous poll was: "Will Paula Radcliffe win the women's race at the New York City Marathon on November 7th?"
      The results at publication time were:
      Answers Votes Percent
      1. Yes 50 62%
      2. No 28 35%
      3. No opinion, don't care 3 4%
      Total Votes: 81

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage as well as voting on and/or checking the results of previous polls.

      Five Star Site of the Week: Craig Walton - Australia.
      Profile
      Date of Birth: 10 October 1975
      Born: Tasmania, Australia
      Lives: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
      Marital Status: Single
      Height: 187 cm
      Weight: 78 kg
      Education: Higher School Certificate 1991
      Qualified: Carpenter/ Joiner
      Profession: Triathlete
      Weekly Training:
      Swim - 8 Hours
      Bike - 16 Hours
      Run - 6 Hours
      Gym - 5 Hours
      Sporting Background:
      1987-1993 State Representative, Surf Lifesaving
      1989-1993 State Representative, Swimming
      1994-2000 Australian Representative, Triathlon
      Nicknames: Waldo, Walts
      Favourite Food: Pancakes
      Favourite Movies: Shawshank Redemption, The Hurricane, Remember the Titans
      Favourite Music: Angels, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Eminem
      Most Admired Person: Greg Welch
      Hobbies: Jet skiing, surfing, movies, eating out
      First Triathlon: 1990
      Visit Craig's website at:
      http://www.craigwalton.com.au/

      Send us your suggestions for our Five Star site. Please check our list of previous Five Star Sites available from the Five Star
      Window under the link "Previous Five Star Sites" as we do not wish to repeat a site unless it has undergone a major redesign.

      If you feel you have something to say that is worthy of a Guest Column on the Runner's Web, email us at
      mailto:webmaster@... or leave your comments in one of our Forums at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/forum.html or from our FrontPage.

      Book of the Week: Great Workouts for Popular Races
      Owen Anderson's Great Workouts for Popular Races http://rrnews.microform.com/great_workouts_popular_races.php provides an array of
      productive workouts for runners who want to optimize their speed, VO2Max, lactate-threshold velocity, running economy, and
      running-specific strength - and perform at their highest-possible level. The book contains special chapters on 800-meter,
      1500-meter, mile, 5-K, 10-K, half-marathon, marathon, and ultra-marathon training, with an ample collection of high-quality training
      sessions for each distance. The introduction to GWPR offers a hard-hitting overview of training, identifying the six key goals
      which are common to middle- and long-distance training and providing an analysis of how those goals can best be reached.
      All of the workouts in the book are based on the latest scientific information about training and can be readily used by runners of
      all ability levels. Here is an example of a recent review:
      Owen Anderson's Great Workouts for Popular Races is chock-full of great training ideas for coaches and runners. Owen dissects the
      scientific research on training and assimilates it into meaningful and manageable workout plans. Pick up Great Workouts and be
      assured that you will enjoy the read, trust the information, and leave it inspired to attain higher levels of performance!
      ~Robin Judice
      LPT, CSCS, USATF Certified Level-II Coach
      The cost of the book is $24.95, and it may be ordered at http://rrnews.microform.com/great_workouts_popular_races.php Owen provides
      great customer service to book purchasers, answering all questions about workouts from the book (e-mail address owen@...).
      Owen Anderson, the author, is the editor of Running Research News, Cycling Research News, Swimming Research News, and Weight-Loss
      Research. He is also the author of Lactate Lift-Off http://www.rrnews.com/products.htm , a book which shows runners how to
      optimize their lactate-threshold running speed, a key predictor of performance.
      Owen earned a B. S. in Zoology from the University of Rhode Island, where he was named the most outstanding undergraduate student in
      1973. As a graduate student at Michigan State University, Owen was awarded a National Science Foundation fellowship; he received
      his doctorate in Zoology/Physiology from MSU in 1983. He has been writing and editing Running Research News since 1985, and in 1992
      he was named the most outstanding running writer in the nation by the Road Runners’ Clubs of America. Published 10 times per year,
      Running Research News provides runners and other endurance athletes with the latest, most-practical scientific information about
      training, injury prevention, and sports nutrition (http://www.rrnews.com).
      Owen has traveled to Kenya on five separate occasions to study the training techniques of the top Kenyan runners, and he has helped
      such notable Kenyan runners as Tegla Loroupe (quadruple world-record holder) and Sammy Lelei (59:24 for the half-marathon, 2:07:03
      for the marathon) with their training programs. He has managed several outstanding Kenyan runners, including Benjamin Simatei,
      Antony Maina, and Leah Malot.
      Anderson has developed the “neural system” of training distance runners (a program which emphasizes high-quality running and
      running-specific strengthening), and he has given seminars and clinics throughout the United States, England, and Japan on this
      topic.
      Buy this e-book at:
      http://www.rrnews.com/products.htm

      More books from Amazon at:
      and Human Kinetics at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html

      This Weeks News:

      Articles:

      1. The hydration equation:
      How does an endurance athlete balance the common risks of dehydration - a decrease in the body's normal water stores - with those of
      hyponatremia, an uncommon but potentially fatal condition that can occur when blood sodium levels are diluted by excessive water
      intake?
      In other words, how do you know when you're drinking too little ... or too much?
      The answer, says exercise physiologist Douglas Casa, of the University of Connecticut, is to find out exactly how much fluid you
      need. To do that, you need to determine the amount of sweat you lose during exercise and replenish appropriately. Here's how:
      After urinating, weigh yourself naked (make sure you use a precise scale). Then, go for a 60-minute run at your present race pace.
      Weigh yourself after the run, in the buff. "The amount you lose is your sweat rate," Casa says. "Let's say you lost 1 kilogram (2.2
      pounds). For each kilo, you need a liter of fluid replacement per hour." One liter (33 ounces) translates into about four 8-ounce
      cups of fluid per hour.
      For longer endurance activities, such as a marathon, sports drinks are recommended, provided you're not trying them for the first
      time on race day. "They have sodium and flavor, which means people are more likely to drink them," Casa says.
      More...from Newsday at:
      http://www.newsday.com/news/health/ny-a4026549nov02,0,2279766.story?coll=ny-health-headlines

      2. Infections Linked to Training and Racing:
      We possess a limited number of anti-stress factors. The word "stress" includes anything which reduces the body’s ability to function
      efficiently, eg stress fracture, colds, coughs and fevers
      Let us suppose that we are all allocated 12 anti-stress factors. Travel to and from work, and work itself, may use up four
      anti-stress factors. Training daily may also use up four anti-stress factors.
      We may have a difficult partner which causes us to use up another two anti-stress factors. The battle to pay off bills could use up
      two more factors. We have used up all our resistance factors and providing things stay as they are we may say that we are in a state
      of equilibrium or coping with stress.
      But, supposing we are given a more responsible and better paid task at work. What then? The stress syndrome follows a known pattern:
      * Alarm.
      * Resistance.
      * Compensation.
      In running, the pattern is increased pulse-rate, resistance and better tolerance of running in due course (hopefully). Now, if the
      stress is too great, the body fails to compensate and gradually sinks into exhaustion. The tell-tale symptoms are:
      * Insomnia.
      * Swelling of glands in the throat, arm-pits, and groin.
      * Frequent colds.
      * Increased skin trouble.
      * Steady loss of weight
      * Inexplicable aches and pains.
      However, the body’s ability to adapt to stress is very versatile provided the stress is increased gradually. For example, a person
      may have done no physical activity for 10 years and decides to train for and compete in the London Marathon.
      More...from World of Endurance at:
      http://worldofendurance.com/runnersguide/beginners_column.asp?a_id=1236165&st_name=BackToBasics

      3. Science of Sport: A 10-K "Shadow" On Your Legs:
      Completing a 10-K race can knock the stuffing out of your leg muscles. If you don't believe that, try running as fast as possible in
      a 10-K competition the day after your next regular 10K. Generally, you will find that your performance will be sub-par and that your
      legs will feel "heavy" during the second race. What causes this decline in performance after an intense 10-K exertion, and how long
      does the decrement in exercise capacity last? In addition, when will your leg muscles have recovered enough (following a 10-K
      ramble) to carry out high-quality training once again?
      To find out the answers to these questions, researchers at the University of Connecticut, Pennsylvania State University, Ball State
      University in Indiana, and the University of Jyvaskyla in Finland recently studied 10 healthy, fit men who were experienced distance
      runners. The 10 subjects were recruited from local track clubs and were training for 10-K racing; many were former collegiate
      endurance runners. Average age was 22, mean percent body fat settled at a lean 9%, and VO2max averaged a somewhat lofty 64
      ml/kg-min.
      For all of the athletes, maximal muscular strength and power during knee flexion and extension were measured at various speeds using
      a System II Biodex isokinetic dynamometer two days before a 10K, 15 minutes after the 10-K race, and two days post-race. On the same
      dates, muscular endurance was assessed during 50 repetitions of voluntary maximal isokinetic knee extensions and flexions at a speed
      of 180 degrees per second. Jumping ability was gauged utilizing a standing counter-movement vertical jump test. The race itself was
      held on a standard, all-weather, 400-meter competitive outdoor track, and the goal of each subject was to set a personal record.
      More...from the Runner's Web at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news/rw_news_20041105_RRN_10K.html

      4. Blind Mountain Climbers Challenge Prejudice, and Reach for the Sky:
      EVEREST ADVANCE BASE CAMP, Tibet
      When Erik Weihenmayer, the first and only blind man to reach the summit at Mount Everest, decided to teach six blind Tibetan
      schoolchildren how to climb, he returned to the scene of his greatest accomplishment. The goal: Lhakpa Ri, a peak next to the
      world's highest mountain.
      "It's the easiest 23,000-foot peak in the world," Weihenmayer said. "Although, that's like saying it's the most gentle piranha in
      the world."
      His expedition crew of 40 people and 60 yaks, strapped with duffel bags, tents, propane tanks, folding chairs, cooking equipment and
      other essential gear, wound its way through the Qomolangma (Chinese for Everest) Nature Preserve in southern Tibet for an arduous
      two-week trek to Advance Base Camp, where the north face of Mount Everest towered to the right and Lhakpa Ri rose to the left.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/31/sports/othersports/31outdoors.html

      5. Shame on us for letting our children become obese:
      It might seem strange to pick up the Sunday paper today, a day on which some 20,000-plus athletes are in Washington for the Marine
      Corps Marathon and its accompanying 8-kilometer race and 1-mile kids fun run, and read about the obesity problem with today's
      American children.
      Our generation, the baby boomers born in the late 1950s and 1960s, were turned on to physical education and fitness. We hungered for
      sports. We craved activity. We drove the second and current running boom that has seen unprecedented growth, with huge marathons and
      half-marathons popping up all over the nation and 5Ks everywhere.
      But what baffles me is that we allowed our kids to become the most sedentary generation ever. Shame on us.
      We built video games to occupy our children while we went off to train. We built computers and instant messaging to baby-sit our
      kids once more while we put in some more miles.
      Meanwhile, we allowed our schools to eliminate the physical education requirement to make room for computer classes. You certainly
      do not want your child to be the only one on the block who has to walk next door to talk with the neighborhood kids because he or
      she does know not how to IM them.
      More...from the Washington Times at:
      http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20041031-013907-1355r.htm

      6. Drinking Water To Maintain Good Health:
      The Beverage Your Body Needs Most
      Water
      When we were kids in school, we learned that each molecule of water is made up of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom. We also
      learned that it was great fun to fill up our squirt guns with water, at least until the principal caught us. What we really didn't
      learn, however, was how much water we needed in order to be healthy human beings.
      Why We Need Water
      Our bodies are estimated to be about 60 to 70% water. Blood is mostly water, and our muscles, lungs, and brain all contain a lot of
      water. Water is needed to regulate body temperature and to provide the means for nutrients to travel to all our organs. Water also
      transports oxygen to our cells, removes waste, and protects our joints and organs.
      Signs of Dehydration
      We lose water through urination, respiration, and by sweating. If you are very active, you lose more water than if you are
      sedentary. Diuretics such as caffeine and alcohol cause us to lose water by tricking our bodies into thinking we have more water
      than we need.
      Symptoms of mild dehydration include chronic pains in joints and muscles, lower back pain, headaches, and constipation. A strong
      odor to your urine, along with a yellow or amber color indicates that you are not getting enough water. (Note that riboflavin, a B
      Vitamin, will make your urine bright yellow.) Thirst is an obvious sign of dehydration and in fact, you need water long before you
      feel thirsty.
      More...from About.com at:
      http://nutrition.about.com/od/hydrationwater/a/waterarticle.htm

      7. Nutrition Wise: For weight loss, low-carb not as important as low-calorie:
      Will "low-carb" foods help me lose weight?
      Maybe. But the bottom line for weight loss is to burn more calories than you consume. Since there is no legal definition of
      low-carb, these foods may contain as many calories as regular versions. They may be lower in carbohydrates but higher in fat or
      protein, so there is no drop in total calories. Some low-carb foods also use sugar alcohols instead of sugar, because sugar alcohols
      are absorbed from the digestive tract and raise blood sugars more slowly. The companies that use sugar alcohols subtract dietary
      fiber and sugar alcohol content from the total amount of carbohydrates to arrive at something called "net carbs." Keep in mind that
      this term was created by food companies, not nutrition experts or government sources. Furthermore, no matter how slowly sugar
      alcohols are absorbed, they still bring all their calories along. And it's the total number of calories that affects fat storage.
      Although some low-carb products do have fewer calories than regular versions, they are by no means necessary for weight loss. The
      best and most reliable steps you can take to lose weight are: decreasing your use of high-fat, high-sugar foods that are
      concentrated in calories; eating an abundance of vegetables and fruits that are low in calories; exercising regularly; controlling
      your portion sizes; and eating only when you are truly hungry.
      More...from the Journal Times at:
      http://www.journaltimes.com/articles/2004/11/01/food/iq_3161192.txt

      8. FDA: Olive oil may boost heart health:
      Products can be labeled as 'may reduce heart disease risk'
      Food containing olive oil can carry labels saying they may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease, the government says, citing
      limited evidence from a dozen scientific studies about the benefits of monounsaturated fats.
      As long as people don't increase the number of calories they consume daily, the Food and Drug Administration confirmed a reduction
      in the risk of coronary heart disease when people replace foods high in saturated fat with the monounsaturated fat in olive oil.
      That means a change as simple as sautéing food in two tablespoons of olive oil instead of butter may be healthier for your heart.
      "Since CHD is the No. 1 killer of both men and women in the United States, it is a public health priority to make sure that
      consumers have accurate and useful information on reducing their risk," Lester M. Crawford, acting FDA commissioner, said in a
      prepared statement.
      More...from CNN at:
      http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/diet.fitness/11/01/olive.oil.heart.ap/index.html

      9. 2004 Guide to Running Pants and Tights:
      A Few of Our Favorite Things for Cold Weather Running.
      by Jim Gerweck and Candace Karu
      Back in the dark days of running, B.N. (Before Nylon), baggy gray cotton sweats were what passed for high-tech leg coverings. A few
      guys who had friends in Europe sported sleeker polyester track warm-ups, but they bordered on Olympic status by virtue of their
      habiliments. Some hardcore runners with a strong sense of their own masculinity even dared to wear women’s pantyhose in cold-weather
      races.
      Then came the legging revolution of the mid-1980s. Swimsuit manufacturers began making tights out of stretchy nylon Lycra material,
      while others crafted stovepipe windpants out of the same fabric used for nylon windbreaker jackets. The legging fashion landscape
      was broadened a few years later when more relaxed-fitting pants came on the scene, providing a garment that one could work out in,
      then wear to the grocery store without eliciting stares or snickers.
      Now, as running fashion enters the 21st century, the variety of leg coverings, and the fabrics and technology they utilize, is
      positively staggering. Form-fitting tights and relaxed pants still dominate, but there are dozens, if not hundreds, of variations in
      cut and material. Whether you’re warding off a mild early-autumn chill or an Arctic midwinter blast, there’s a tight or pant of the
      proper weight.
      A recent trend has been toward more complex, technical construction of these garments, with strategically placed panels of
      wind-resistant or denser, more supportive fabric
      complementing thinner areas around the joints, which allows less restrictive movement through the full running motion. Basic,
      single-weight garments are still the norm, but given the increasing sophistication and variety of leg coverings, it’s a good bet you
      may want several of the styles reviewed here in your winter clothing arsenal.
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/issues/04nov/apparel.htm

      10. Optimal Marathon Training Sessions:
      Of the many possible combinations of speed and distance that you can do in training, a few provide the optimal stimuli for
      physiological improvements for the marathon. The most effective types of marathon training are described below. These workouts form
      the key sessions in Pete’s training programs.
      I. Tempo Runs:
      The most effective way to improve your lactate threshold is to run at your current lactate threshold pace, or a few seconds per mile
      faster. This can be done either as one continuous run (tempo run) or as a long interval session at your lactate threshold pace
      (called cruise intervals or LT intervals).
      These workouts make you run hard enough that lactate is just starting to accumulate in your blood. When you train at a lower
      intensity, a weaker stimulus is provided to improve your lactate threshold pace. When you train faster than current lactate
      threshold pace, you’ll accumulate lactate rapidly, so you won’t be training your muscles to work hard without accumulating lactate.
      During these workouts, the more time that you spend at your lactate threshold pace, the greater the stimulus for improvement.
      Lactate threshold training should be run at close to the pace that you could currently race for one hour. For serious marathoners,
      this is generally 15K to 20K race pace. This should be the intensity at which lactate is just starting to accumulate in your muscles
      and blood. In terms of heart rate, lactate threshold typically occurs at 80 to 90 percent of maximal heart rate, or 76 to 88 percent
      of heart rate reserve in well-trained runners.
      You can do some of your tempo runs in low-key races of 4 miles to 10K, but be careful not to get carried away and race all out.
      Remember that the optimal pace to improve lactate threshold is your current LT pace, and not much faster.
      A typical training session to improve lactate threshold consists of a 15- to 20-minute warm-up, followed by a 20- to 40-minute tempo
      run and a 15-minute cooldown. The lactate threshold workouts in my training programs mainly fall within these parameters, although
      some programs include one longer tempo run in the 7-mile range. LT intervals are typically two to five repetitions of five minutes
      to two miles at lactate threshold pace with two or three minutes between repetitions.
      More...from Pete Pfitzinger at:
      http://www.pfitzinger.com/marathontraining.shtml

      11. Training and Competing in the Mystery Zone:
      The topic of this panel discussion was preparation for events lasting 1-5 minutes, a mystery zone requiring aerobic and anaerobic
      power. Most panelists agreed that: aerobic development is of primary importance; aerobic and anaerobic fitness should be maintained
      in all phases of training; a prolonged period of anaerobic training increases the risk of overstraining; shorter events require more
      resistance training, which should emphasize development of relative strength or power rather than muscle hypertrophy; and to taper
      for a competition, maintain high-intensity training while reducing training volume.
      In June this year I attended a one-day "summit" with the title of Training and Competing in the Mystery Zone. The summit, a panel
      discussion between invited speakers, was held in Denver straight after the annual meeting of the American College of Sports
      Medicine. It was the first in an annual series of summits on human performance, organized jointly by the US Olympic Committee and
      ACSM. A number of prominent sport scientists and elite-level coaches based in the US were on the panel. The international sports
      science community was also well represented.
      Events that take between one and five minutes to complete require energy from both the aerobic and oxygen-independent (anaerobic)
      systems. Some coaches have described this competition range as the mystery zone, because strategies for training and competing in
      events within this zone are not well understood. The goal of the meeting was to provide a consensus statement about training and
      competing in the mystery zone, for use by US athletes, coaches, and sport scientists. The discussion covered other topics, such as
      the coach-scientist relationship, the use of sportscience by high performance sport, and the gap between sport and the scientist. I
      will restrict this report to training for events in the mystery zone. Pacing and other strategies for competition in the mystery
      zone were not discussed.
      Energy Supply
      It is now acknowledged that energy supply for these events is approximately 50% aerobic and 50% anaerobic at the one-minute end of
      the spectrum. The anaerobic contribution is a mixture of alactic energy supply and oxygen independent glycolysis. When ATP is
      utilized at high rates in the first 10-15 seconds of exercise it is primarily regenerated by the ATP-CP system which does not
      generate lactate as a by-product. This system is therefore often referred to as the "alactic system". Simultaneously glycolysis is
      generating ATP and lactate is being produced. This "lactate" system cannot supply ATP as quickly as the alactic system but can
      sustain energy supply for up to 60 s, or even a bit longer at a rate faster than the aerobic glycolytic system. As the events get
      closer to five minutes, the importance of the aerobic system increases. You must therefore train both aerobic and anaerobic energy
      systems to be successful in the mystery zone.
      More...from Sportscience at:
      http://www.sportsci.org/index.html?jour/03/03.htm&1

      12. Run Your Way To Better Bone Health:
      The U.S. Surgeon General Richard Carmona last Thursday made no bones about warning Americans about their bones. In an unprecedented
      report on the topic of bone health, Dr. Carmona indicated that roughly half of Americans over the age of 50 either now have the
      devastating bone-thinning ailment known as osteoporosis, or they will have it within the next 15 years.
      "Osteoporosis isn't just your grandmother's disease. We all need to take better care of our bones," Dr. Carmona said. "The good news
      is that you are never too old or too young to improve your bone health. With healthy nutrition, physical activity every day, and
      regular medical check-ups and screenings, Americans of all ages can have strong bones and live longer, healthier lives. Likewise, if
      it's diagnosed in time, osteoporosis can be treated with new drugs that help prevent bone loss and rebuild bone before
      life-threatening fractures occur."
      Osteoporosis is a condition in which bones begin to narrow and become frail, due to a variety of factors such as age, lack of
      exercise or improper nutrition. If ignored, the disease can silently progress until bones actually break.
      The disease is "silent" for two reasons: For one, osteoporosis can develop, and progress, without any physical pain. You simply do
      not know that it’s happening. The other reason is that many Americans don’t talk enough with their physicians about bone health.
      There are 44 million people in this country who suffer from osteoporosis. One in two women over 50 will break a bone because of the
      condition.
      More...from Polar at:
      http://www.polarusa.com/consumer/coachescorner/showarticle.asp?ArticleID=211&CatID=2

      13. Study: Children don't exercise nearly enough at preschool:
      Children are supposed to play, run, jump and be active for at least two hours a day, but most aren't doing even half that much at
      preschool, says one of the first large studies to examine physical activity in children ages 3 to 5.
      This low activity level could be contributing to the increasing problem of excess weight in kids, says researcher Russ Pate, a
      professor of exercise science at the University of South Carolina-Columbia.
      About 10% of children ages 2 to 5 are overweight; another 12% are at risk of becoming so, the latest government statistics show.
      More than half of 3- to 5-year-olds go to preschool.
      Children need more vigorous play during unstructured free time at preschool, Pate says, and they also need more organized physical
      activities, like dancing the hokey-pokey.
      In the study, Pate and colleagues examined activity levels of 281 kids at nine preschools in Columbia, S.C., including church-based,
      private programs and Head Start.
      More...from USA Today at:
      http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2004-11-01-preschool-exercise_x.htm

      14. The snows of Kilimanjaro:
      Dr. Lorna Adams rises to the challenge of climbing Africa's tallest peak
      The mountain rises from the floor of Africa, and goes up and up and up to the snow-capped glacial summit. It is visible in all its
      glory from the bus that takes a traveller to one of the biggest events of her life.
      If ever there was a challenge for we mortals who live regular day-to-day lives, it is Kilimanjaro. Most of us cannot consider feats
      such as getting to the top of Everest or winning the Iron Woman Triathlon, but Kilimanjaro is a challenge available to those wanting
      to do something very out of the ordinary, but entirely within reach.
      But not without an overwhelming effort.
      Should you ever consider such an undertaking? It is an interesting intellectual experience to analyse why we attempt such
      challenges. The physical effort of climbing to almost 20,000 feet is not to be denied, the hardship not slight and the risks
      significant. I believe the answer lies in a desire to have experiences that challenge us supremely, both physically and emotionally.
      While planning my trip, I was told that 50% of the work of climbing the mountain would be in my mind. There is no doubt this was an
      underestimate for me. For any physical experience that tests you to your utmost limit, there must be a "gut" desire to overcome the
      physical hardship, just for the sake of the challenge.
      It must be accepted that there is no logical reason to be on the mountain. Otherwise, why are you there, cold, wet, exhausted,
      nauseous and looking forward to more of the same day after day?
      More...from the Medical Post at:
      http://www.medicalpost.com/mpcontent/article.jsp?content=20041031_183054_4980

      15. Fruit, veggies linked to heart health - Cancer risk link uncertain:
      A multiyear study involving more than 100,000 participants provides added support that eating lots of fruit and vegetables is good
      for the heart.
      But the analysis failed to show similar benefits for cancer, a result that prompted the Journal of the National Cancer Institute,
      which published the study Tuesday, to raise questions about its findings.
      The report supports the American Heart Association's recommendations to consume at least five servings of fruit and vegetables per
      day, according to the researchers, led by Dr. Walter Willett of the Harvard School of Public Health.
      But for cancer, the report said, "The protective effect of fruit and vegetable intake may have been overstated."
      The research team studied 71,910 females in the Nurse's Health study and 37,725 males in the Health Professionals Follow-up Study.
      The research began in the mid-1980s and the report followed the participants until 1998.
      They found participants who ate five or more servings of fruit and vegetables daily had a slightly decreased risk of heart disease,
      but there was no statistically significant difference in cancer rates.
      The researchers provided several possible explanations for that result, while the journal published an editorial suggesting
      potential sources of error.
      It may be that cancer risk is increased only in people who eat few fruits and vegetables, the researchers said. Since most of the
      study participants -- nurses and other health professionals -- tended to include fruit and vegetables in their diets, no protective
      association would have been noticeable.
      More...from CNN at:
      http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/diet.fitness/11/02/fruit.and.vegetables.ap/index.html

      16. A Cup of Joe?
      The Case For Caffeine
      For years athletes have been using caffeine in various doses to improve their performance. Everyone knows that a strong cup of Java
      gives you that alertness and sense of extra energy. Drink three cups of leaded Starbucks coffee and you'll feel like you want to run
      a marathon! So….does the caffeine just make you want to run that marathon or do you actually run it and run it faster? Though many
      professional endurance athletes use caffeine to enhance their performance, the US Olympic Committee, World Anti-Doping Association
      (WADA) and US Anti-doping association ban certain substances, including caffeine, for safety reasons as well as any unfair
      advantages those substances may offer. Caffeine is banned at a level of 12mcg/ml in urine, which requires about 1,200 mg of pure
      caffeine or 8 cups of strong coffee. WADA has lifted this ban starting in January of 2004, although it comes with some controversy
      since caffeine does have some ergogenic properties and can be dangerous if abused. Back to that marathon: you can run it faster, but
      only if done correctly, so let's talk about who can benefit from caffeine and how it can be properly used.
      More...from XTri.com at:
      http://xtri.com/article.asp?id=1324

      17. You have to get out of shape to get in shape:
      Most runners, assuming you have been running consistently over the spring and summer, should consider November as a rest month.
      This is the perfect time of year to scale back your training and take a break - even a complete break - after your last race of the
      season, possibly in October or November. I have talked about cycles in training in previous tips and late fall is the yearly rest
      period.
      What this means is that you should take a few weeks completely off running and for a month or so scale back to a few enjoyable runs
      when convenient. Run somewhere new and discover new running trails, cross train or just go for some good hikes. This is important
      to provide the body both a physical and mental break from running and re-charge the batteries for next year. As a former
      competitive colleague of mine said after I raced him and beat him about 6 months after he set the world record in the 10,000m - "you
      have to get out of shape to get in shape". This is a very true statement but sometimes runners are afraid to take the rest I
      believe all successful elite runners take.
      Enjoy it.....Come December it will be time to start building your training base which will be further enhanced in January.
      Now should you be new to running you can take advantage of your early start towards joining the running circles for next year and
      get your training started. Since you are starting early, which is good, you can enjoy a real gentle startup phase and still be in
      great shape next spring. Start by reading a few books about running - many are available at Running Room stores or on the web - and
      try a few introductory training runs.
      Looking forward to 2005.
      John Halvorsen, Race Director
      ING Ottawa Marathon MDS Nordion 10K
      http://www.ncm.ca/tips_johnhalvorsen-en.html?page=tips_johnhalvorsen&lang_id=1&page_id=93

      18. Carbohydrates necessary for marathon runners:
      Despite the no-carb craze, carbohydrates are needed to fuel the brain and muscles.
      As the 35,000 runners preparing for Sunday's ING New York City Marathon go into the final stretch of their training, they better be
      well into a diet that will see them through the 20-plus-mile race, said sports nutritionist Heidi Skolnik.
      Flexing their muscles and jogging in place as they will be on Sunday before crossing the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge in the first leg
      of the race, the marathoners -- hundreds of Staten Islanders among them -- should have plenty of carbohydrates stored in their
      muscles for the long run.
      "Hopefully, by now they already have recognized the needs of their body," said Ms. Skolnik, in an interview earlier this week.
      "With the carbo-craze that's going on, people have to understand that whether they run a marathon or not, carbohydrates are needed
      to fuel brain and muscles. I might need a certain amount each day, but a runner should be eating carbohydrates throughout the day,
      every day -- in well-rounded meals as well as in snacks," said the nutrition consultant.
      More...from silive.com at:
      http://www.silive.com/living/advance/index.ssf?/base/living/1099496721184960.xml

      19. Cycling mudbath 'investment in health':
      Cyclocross designed as way for riders to keep fit over winter.
      Roxy Cate has just finished a 45-minute cyclocross race: furiously pedaling through mucky turns and along rain-soaked grassy
      straightaways, running several times up a nearly vertical hill with her bike slung over her shoulder, and leaping with it over
      wooden barriers.
      She's exhausted from the difficult course. She's covered with mud. She's drenched.
      So why is this 43-year-old smiling?
      Like a growing number of cyclists in the United States, she's got cyclocross fever.
      "We do it because it shows we can still get out there and race," she says of middle-age women like herself. "It's an investment in
      our health."
      Cate was among more than 600 giddily enthusiastic cyclists who showed up on a recent rainy Sunday for races at the Alpenrose Dairy,
      tucked into the forested hills just west of Portland.
      The cyclocross season has just gotten under way and runs into December. In the Pacific Northwest, it coincides with the start of the
      rainy season. This pretty much assures that each race is a mudbath. You might think that would be a deterrent. Not among Portland
      area racers, some of whom are disappointed if they go home dry.
      "Cyclocross is one of the most brutal introductions to bike racing there is," says Mike Geraci, a 39-year-old cyclocross racer in
      Jackson, Wyoming. "It takes a special kind of person to enjoy the abuse."
      More...from CNN at:
      http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/diet.fitness/11/02/cyclocross.fever.ap/index.html

      20. The bike that's made to measure:
      In a workshop tucked away in the back streets of laid-back Velddrif on the West Coast, revolution is brewing.
      All right, we know it sounds melodramatic. But there's nothing else quite like the two-wheeler that Graeme Murray calls the
      Revolution Project.
      Right enough, it has two wheels. And the frame is reminiscent of the classic double diamond shape, even if it leans more heavily
      towards the outlandish, streamlined 1990s Lotus funny bike British speedster Chris Boardman rode to the world one-hour record. But
      that's where the resemblance ends.
      Inventor Murray - and never has the description "eccentric" seemed a more natural addition to the job description - believes he has
      solved the age-old problem of bike fit.
      Simply put, his multi-adjustable frame can fit a range of sizes, shapes, riding styles and handling preferences. In addition to
      which the design incorporates one or two seriously tricky solutions to componentry issues.
      Finding solutions is nothing new to Murray, with whose name one several thousand cyclists are intimately familiar. He has sold by
      direct order more than 3 000 versions of his Orthoped saddle, now into its fourth generation. All of them are different because they
      ’re all custom-made.
      More...from IOL at:
      http://iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=31&art_id=iol1099552137675B200

      21. Posture Perfect:
      Improve your posture and improve your performance!
      by Ken Mierke & Kathleen Coutinho, D.C.
      While participating in sports is good for our health, it can wreak havoc on our bodies, in particular our posture. Cyclists spend
      hours hunched over their handlebars, runners tend to slouch as they plod along, and swimmers can have overdeveloped shoulders,
      creating muscle imbalances of the upper body.
      All of this means changes in biomechanics, which not only poses greater risk for injury but diminishes sports performance as well.
      Here's why: When your body is not properly aligned your muscles create opposing forces that waste energy, effectively causing a
      power drain as you move.
      How do you avoid this energy depletion? Much of your postural fitness comes down to core fitness. The stronger and more stable the
      muscles of the abdomen, low back and sides of the trunk are, the better aligned your posture is.
      Common Posture Problems
      The most critical aspect of posture is the degree of curvature of the spine. Spinal curves provide shock absorption. A naturally
      curving spinal column has wedge-shaped disks, which are thicker on one side than the other. This provides cushioning.
      A spine with too little curvature, known as hypolordosis, provides little shock absorption. Often caused by whiplash, tight
      abdominal muscles or chronic postural stress, this condition can be improved by stretching the abdominal muscles, strengthening the
      hamstrings and low back muscles, and performing yoga, in addition to getting chiropractic adjustments.
      More...from Her Sports at:
      http://hersports.com/eNewsletter/newsLtr13/news13Article3.html

      22. Drug for Osteoporosis Curtails Knee Arthritis:
      Treatment with a drug used to combat the bone-thinning disease osteoporosis appears to reduce the occurrence of
      osteoarthritis-related damage in the knee, according to a new report.
      Bone is normally resorbed and replaced continuously, but when the turnover is unbalanced and too much bone is lost it can lead to
      osteoporosis. Anti-resorptive drugs like alendronate (better known as Fosamax), as well as other types of agents, are used to stop
      the disease process.
      The current findings are based on a study of 818 post-menopausal women who participated in the Health, Aging and Body Composition
      Study and had symptoms of knee osteoarthritis.
      Structural changes in the knee were assessed by MRI and X-rays, and knee pain severity was gauged using a standard scale.
      Among the participants, 26 percent used anti-resorptive drugs -- such as alendronate, estrogen, and raloxifene (Evista) -- Dr. Laura
      D. Carbone, from the University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center in Memphis, and colleagues note in the medical journal Arthritis
      and Rheumatism.
      More...from Reuters at:
      http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=GNJ3O4UJIIENKCRBAELCFEY?type=healthNews&storyID=6720626

      23. From Runner's World:
      * Words That Inspire
      "We do not live an equal life, but one of contrasts and patchwork; now a little joy, then a sorrow, now a sin, then a generous or
      brave action."
      -Ralph Waldo Emerson, writer and poet

      * Editor's Advice
      "Fast running burns more calories than slow running, but slow running burns more calories than just about any other activity. In
      short, nothing will help you lose weight and keep it off the way running does. Besides, it's inexpensive, it's accessible, and, if
      necessary, it can be done while pushing a stroller." -Traci Conrad-Nicholas, RW marketing designer

      * Training Talk
      "I've known runners who believed that they would get faster if only they could find the perfect pair of shoes. The perfect fit, the
      perfect lightness, the perfect high-tech features. But I've never known a runner who actually improved after getting a new pair of
      shoes. Shoes can't make you faster. Only dedication, consistency, passion, and hard training can make you faster." -From the
      Runner's Guide to the Meaning of Life by Amby Burfoot

      24. Group Training:
      Group training can be a wonderful social experience and can help you accomplish you performance goals. Too much group training,
      though, can lead to over-training, a poor endurance foundation and poor race performances.
      Group training can be a wonderful social experience and can help you accomplish you performance goals. Too much group training,
      though, can lead to over-training, a poor endurance foundation and poor race performances. Differences in fitness levels, abilities
      and genetic talent make training different for each individual in the group. Although your training partners may be maintaining
      their target heart rates, yours may be too high or low. Therein lies the most challenging aspect of group training – finding
      training partners who are not only willing to do the type of training on your schedule, but will benefit equally. Davis Phinney and
      Scott Tinley were the only 2 individuals with whom I could do long, low intensity workouts without them becoming hammer sessions.
      Group training can be helpful if your training plan includes high intensity efforts. A regular group run or bike ride as a fartlek
      or interval session is appropriate, as long as you maintain the proper intensity, pace and effort. Organized swim programs, such as
      masters programs provide good opportunities for variety, technique feedback and camaraderie. You can control the intensity by
      swimming in a slower lane when you need to go easy, and moving to faster lanes when high intensity is required.
      More...from Polar at:
      http://www.polarusa.com/consumer/coachescorner/showarticle.asp?ArticleID=124&CatID=4

      25. News Scan:
      * Y chromosome haplogroups of elite Ethiopian endurance runners.
      Moran CN, Scott RA, Adams SM, Warrington SJ, Jobling MA, Wilson RH, Goodwin WH, Georgiades E, Wolde B, Pitsiladis YP.
      International Centre for East African Running Science (ICEARS), Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences, University of Glasgow,
      West Medical Building, G12 8QQ, Glasgow, UK.
      Favourable genetic endowment has been proposed as part of the explanation for the success of East African endurance athletes, but no
      evidence has yet been presented. The Y chromosome haplogroup distribution of elite Ethiopian athletes ( n=62) was compared with that
      of the general Ethiopian population ( n=95) and a control group from Arsi (a region producing a disproportionate number of athletes;
      n=85). Athletes belonged to three groups: marathon runners (M; n=23), 5-km to 10-km runners (5-10K; n=21) and other track and field
      athletes (TF; n=18). DNA was extracted from buccal swabs and haplogroups were assigned after the typing of binary markers in
      multiplexed minisequencing reactions. Frequency differences between groups were assessed by using contingency exact tests and showed
      that Y chromosome haplogroups are not distributed amongst elite Ethiopian endurance runners in the same proportions as in the
      general population, with statistically significant ( P<0.05) differences being found in four of the individual haplogroups. The
      geographical origins and languages of the athletes and controls suggest that these differences are less likely to be a reflection of
      population structure and that Y chromosome haplogroups may play a significant role in determining Ethiopian endurance running
      success.
      PMID: 15503146 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

      * Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine
      Benefits of Weight Training
      Almost everyone should lift weights. Weight lifting strengthens bones, muscles ligaments and tendons, increases coordination for
      tasks requiring strength, and gives confidence and mobility to disabled people. Just exercising doesn't do much to strengthen
      muscles. If it did, marathon runners would have the largest muscles. To become strong, you have to exercise your muscles against
      progressively greater resistance, such as lifting heavier weights.
      Just exercising doesn't strengthen bones either. Female marathon runners sometimes stop menstruating and lose tremendous amounts of
      bone, even though they may run more than 100 miles a week. To regain bone, they have to eat more food which will usually start them
      menstruating again, or they may need to take estrogen.
      People with muscle and nerve diseases can also benefit from lifting weights. They may be unable to work out as long or as hard as a
      healthy person and they take longer to recover from their workouts. However, if they stop exercising when their muscles feel heavy
      or hurt and they take off when their muscles feel sore, they can make dramatic increases in strength.
      Anyone starting a weight training program should be guided by an experienced instructor. Exercise with machines two or three times
      a week, never on consecutive days. On each exercise, use the heaviest weight you can lift comfortably eight or ten times in a row.
      Then allow at least 48 hours for your muscles to recover. Do not lift if they feel sore.

      * Dear Dr. Mirkin: My daughter has exercise-induced asthma. Does this mean that she cannot compete in sports at school?
      No; many children cough, wheeze and become short of breath five to twelve minutes after they start to exercise. They should be
      encouraged to exercise, and most can compete in sports, provided that they know how to prevent attacks. All asthmatics can cough
      and become short of breath when they exercise, more commonly when they run than when they swim.
      Asthma is triggered by breathing dry, cold air, and swimming usually does not cause asthma because of the moist air above the water.
      Special drugs called beta agonists such as terbutaline, albuterol or salbutamol relieve wheezing, but they give athletes an unfair
      advantage by helping their muscles to recover faster from workouts so they can do more work. The International Olympic Committee
      allows athletes to take these drugs by inhalation only if their physician certifies that they are asthmatics. If beta agonist
      inhalers do not prevent exercise-induced asthma, you can try a cortisone-type inhaler for several days before competition. Asthmatic
      athletes can also prevent asthma by warming up very hard 45 minutes before competition and bringing on an attack of asthma. That
      will often prevent them from getting a second attack when they compete. Exercise can help to control the severity of asthma attacks,
      even in asthmatics who do not compete.

      * Dear Dr. Mirkin: What are the best foods to eat before an important race?
      It doesn't make much difference what you eat before athletic competition, as long as it's not in your stomach when you start. It
      takes about half an hour to empty your stomach after a meal, so you should eat about one to three hours before your event.
      Your brain gets almost all its energy from sugar in your bloodstream, but there is only enough sugar there to last three minutes, so
      your liver has to constantly release sugar from its cells to keep you alert. Your liver fills with sugar after you eat and releases
      sugar afterward. If you start an athletic competition more than three hours after you eat, your liver will have used up much of its
      stored energy to tire you earlier during exercise.
      Scientists used to recommend avoiding sugar within three hours before competition because they thought that it would cause a rise in
      blood sugar, to raise blood insulin high enough to cause a low blood sugar and tire you earlier. This does not happen to athletes.
      Now we know that it doesn't make any difference whether you eat fat, protein or sugar before your competition.

      * Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine
      It's Normal to Sweat More After Exercising
      Do you know why you sweat more after you finish exercising than you do while you exercise? Your body temperature varies throughout
      the day, going from around 97 degrees in the early morning to about 99 degrees in the early evening. Exercise raises body
      temperature considerably. When you exercise, more than 70 percent of the energy that powers your muscles is lost as heat. Less than
      30 percent drives your muscles. Athletic competition can drive temperatures as high as 105 degrees without harming the athletes.
      To keep your body temperature from rising too high, your heart pumps large amounts of heat in the blood from your hot muscles to
      your skin and you sweat. The sweat evaporates and cools your body. The amount of sweat that your body produces depends on the
      temperature of the blood that flows through your brain. When the temperature of the blood rises, you sweat more. During exercise,
      your heart beats rapidly to pump blood to bring oxygen to your muscles and to pump the hot blood from the muscles to the skin where
      the heat can be dissipated. When you stop exercising, your heart slows down also, pumping less blood to the skin. The heat
      accumulates in your muscles, causing blood
      temperature to rise higher, so you sweat more right after you finish exercising than during exercise.

      * Chill out.
      One essential step in your workout helps avoid light-headedness and muscle spasms. It's the cool-down period, which is even more
      important than a preworkout warmup. After vigorous activity, a cooldown gives your heart rate a chance to normalize, and protects
      you from negative effects.

      This Weeks Featured Events:
      *Please verify event dates with the event websites*

      November 6, 2004:

      Athens Marathon - Greece
      http://www.athensmarathon.com

      AUA National 24 Hour Championship - San Diego, CA
      http://www.americanultra.org

      Food World Senior Bowl Charity Run 10K - Mobile, AL
      http://www.seniorbowl.com/2005
      USA Men's Championship/USARC Finale

      Mariental Sakekamer ITU African Continental Cup Triathlon - Namibia
      http://www.triathlon.org/international/int-2004/mariental-sakekamer-2004/event-details/event-details.htm

      Treasure Island Triathlon - San Francisco, CA
      http://www.tricalifornia.com/treasureisland/2004/

      Vulcan Run - Birmingham, AL
      http://www.vulcanrun.com

      November 7, 2004: