Runner's Web Digest - October 1, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2004
      Runner's Web Digest - October 1, 2004

      The Original Runner's and Triathlete's Web was founded in January of 1997 as a not-for-profit resource site. RunnersWeb.com Inc. is
      now a small business venture which sponsors the OAC Racing Team, a women's road racing and triathlon club, and the OAC Gatineau
      Triathlon and OAC Corporate Relay. The site is not in any way associated with the two UK "Runner's Web" copycat sites or the
      Runner's Web Book Store in the USA.

      This issue is brought to you by Road Runner Sports, the world's largest running store at:
      http://www.roadrunnersports.com/cgi-bin/rrs/rrs/rrHome.jsp?sc=CBM-00105&prfc=1
      Is your favourite running shoe being discontinued? Check RRS to find out.

      Runner's Web Affiliate Programs:

      Fitsense Speed, Distance & Heart Rate Monitoring System for Runners and Walkers
      http://buy.fitsense.com/processing2.asp?ID=28&Ad=101

      Peak Performance Online
      Free Copy of Peak Performance!
      High-quality training newsletter worth £4 ($6) delivered straight to your door
      http://www.pponline.co.uk/sendme/free.php?aff=runnersweb&sub=run

      HDO Sport for Timex Body Link products
      http://www.modularmerchant.com/clients/hdo/?aid=13

      ITUtv.com
      Live webcasts of triathlons and multi-sport events.
      http://www.itutv.com/
      Use promo code "RUNNERSWEB" to get a $5.00 discount.

      Blockbuster
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000005675551

      Fairmont Hotels
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000005674720

      Triathlon Meetup
      http://triathlon.meetup.com/r/d5n6/d5n6/0/http://triathlon.meetup.com/?a=d5n6/">
      593 are signed up for local Triathlon Meetups! Happening THIS month, find out when .

      The Finish Line
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000005637857

      Patagonia
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000005568199

      Motorola
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000005463364

      AOL Broadband
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000005348025

      Get the GM Card, get 5% Earnings from every credit card purchase, and start charging toward a new GM car, truck or SUV.
      http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000005347188

      ING DIRECT makes $aving money simple! Open your account online today and start earning 2.10% variable APY. No Fees and No Minimums!
      http://www.qksrv.net/click-1452277-10124087

      TriSwim Coach - The Complete Guide to Triathlon Swimming
      http://hop.clickbank.net/?rhianyth/triswim1

      Sof Sole Offer:
      A free pair of our technical socks ($9.99 value) with the purchase of
      any Sof Sole insole.
      http://www.sofsole.com/pages/promo/rwebsockoffer.html

      Get Fit Running: If you are 150 pounds, sleeping burns 61 calories an hour, race walking burns 442 calories and running 5mph burns
      544 calories an hour! To reach your personal, health, fitness, and performance goals, subscribe to RUNNER'S WORLD today!
      (Get fit with Runner's World)
      http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=pgaZgw/VDU4&offerid=58447.10000229&type=3&subid=0

      adidas' running apparel at 15% off! All running shorts, pants, and
      shirts at reduced prices .
      http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=20812557&siteid=39999062&bfpage=1574537

      If you have an accident while running or cycling, do you want your family to be contacted? Do you want to receive immediate and
      proper medical treatment? If so, make this cool item part of your gear -- for safety and peace of mind. Road ID has created 4
      awesome ways for athletes to wear ID: the SHOE, the WRIST, the ANKLE, and the NECK.
      Get your RoadID at:
      http://www.roadid.com/?referrer=50

      The TRACK PROFILE Reader 2004, an in-depth review of the 2003 season by Bob Ramsak, is now available. Selected from hundreds of
      reports filed by the Track Profile News Service last year, The TRACK PROFILE READER provides a unique look back at the
      personalities, stories and events that defined track and field in 2003. With in depth profiles of the sport's biggest stars and
      comprehensive on-site reports from major competitions, this annual review takes the reader beyond the results, providing a perfect
      companion for casual and
      diehard fans alike. Check out the book at:
      http://www.booksurge.com/author.php3?accountID=GPUB00341&affiliateID=A000497

      The Stretching Handbook:
      http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/cgi-bin/at.pl?a=286905
      The Stretching Video in a DVD version. With the DVD version you're able to use the convenient menu facility to:
      * Go directly to a specific stretch;
      * View only stretches for a specific muscle group;
      * Pause each stretch to get a good look at how it is performed;
      * View only the introduction and rules for safe stretching; or
      * Play the entire video from start to finish.
      Buy the DVD at:
      http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/cgi-bin/at.pl?a=286905&e=products/video-dvd.htm

      Buy all your sporting goods at Fogdog Sports, your anytime, anywhere sports store.
      Click here: http://www.fogdog.com/cgi-bin/affiliate?siteid=40054907

      How To Run And Enjoy The Marathon By James Raia:
      Price: $7.95
      As a practical guide to the 26.2-mile journey, How To Run And Enjoy The Marathon is a series of 15 self-help and service-oriented
      articles about running marathons - the proper shoes to running etiquette - is written by James Raia, a journalist and veteran
      middle-of-the-pack marathon and ultramarathon runner in Sacramento, Calif.
      Buy the book at:
      http://hop.clickbank.net/?rhianyth/eltomaja

      The Runner's Web Digest is a weekly e-zine dealing with the sports of running and triathlon and general fitness and health issues.
      The opinions expressed in the articles referenced by the Digest are the opinions of the writers and not the Runner's Web. To
      comment on any stories in the Digest visit our Forum at:
      http://excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=4655

      This newsletter has been composed using Outlook set to text format. The Digest is sent via an email list at
      http://groups.yahoo.com
      If you experience any delays in receiving your copy of the Digest, please advise us at:
      mailto:webmaster@...

      Webmasters:
      Get our Syndicated headlines for you site.

      Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out our daily news
      features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more. General questions should be posted to one of our forums available from our
      FrontPage.

      For new subscribers:
      If you have any questions regarding the options available for receiving this digest, please do NOT email the list, rather email me
      directly at mailto:Webmaster@...

      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for viruses. Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor
      (me) prior to being released to the group.

      NOTE
      **[ Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two lines. If you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you
      paste the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or another appropriate suffix ].

      References/URLs:
      Most references in the digest which do not have a specific URL listed here are available from the Runner's Web FrontPage (or
      Archives) at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html
      Also, if have email software that does not read HTML, all links contained in the Digest are available from the Runner's Web. All
      URLs listed here have been verified as of the Digest publication date. It is possible that the site may have archived or deleted the
      page after publication. If you are unable to reach a URL listed here, ensure that you are using the entire URL (see above). If you
      still cannot reach the site, please email me at: mailto:webmaster@... and I will try to track it down.

      Note: Some sites require free registration.

      New This Week:

      The Running Trivia Quiz and Pegasus Quiz are available from our FrontPage as well as our Trivia page at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/rw_triv.html
      We have already had a winner in the Pegasus Quiz - Dianne Morrison of Brampton, ON. She wins a copy of Pegasus Software's RunLog
      training tracking software.

      To comment on any stories in the Digest visit our Forum at:
      http://excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=4655

      Our latest column from Carmichael Training Systems
      Multisport: Don’t Gain What You Don’t Want To Work Off by Jim Rutberg is available at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/cts_columns.html.

      Check out our latest article from Peak Performance online:

      We have ONE personal posting this week.
      Personal Postings, when available, are located after the Upcoming Section towards the bottom of the newsletter.

      This Week's Digest Article Index:

      1. Multisport: Mental Fatigue - When your brain tells you to stop going, here's how to tell it to shut up
      2. Seven Nutrition Habits To Keep Your Heart Pumping Strong
      3. Priority no.1 for middle and long distance runners - VO2 max
      4. New Knees Now
      5. Land of enhancement
      To gain a competitive edge, many athletes these days are turning to supplements. They may indeed produce a quick fix, but does
      long-term danger lurk for those who overuse them?
      6. Red wine (and sex) good for men's health
      Seattle researchers say one glass a day cuts risk of prostate cancer.
      7. From Runner's World
      8. Joe Henderson's Running Commentary - Big Loser
      9. Off-Season Training: Why Go Backwards?
      10. Pulling Yourself Out of a Rut by Siri Lindley
      11. How To Control Your Blood Pressure
      12. Study Backs Therapy Over Sleeping Pills
      13. The Pregnant Runner
      Because running teaches you to listen to every whisper from your body, you can probably discern whether or not you're pregnant
      simply by how you feel when you run
      14. Women's Only Races
      Q: Why do women have women only races?
      15. Learning good form is not easy, but it's worth the cost
      16. Hyponatremia or Overhydration – who is at risk?
      17. Exercise & asthma
      18. Five ways to speed up muscle repair
      19. Carbohydrate loading: A safe way to boost endurance
      20. Re-charge Your Batteries
      Take our quiz, make a few changes, and watch your energy levels soar.
      21. Sick and Tired Athletes
      22. 26 tips for 26.2 miles
      23. Stretching - A ritual questioned
      24. Why fast pedaling makes cyclists more efficient
      25. News Scan

      Runner's Web Weekly Poll:
      This week's poll is: "What is your level of interest in the Paralympics?"

      Cast your vote at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html
      Post your views in our Forum at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/runnersweb_forum.html
      [Free Registration Required]

      The previous poll was: What is your level of interest in the Paralympics?
      The answers at publication time were:
      Answers Votes Percent
      1. High 4 5%
      2. Moderate 7 9%
      3. Low 62 82%
      4. No opinion 3 4%
      Total Votes: 76

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage as well as voting on and/or checking the results of previous polls.

      Five Star Site of the Week: BigMatt.
      "Matt is a professional triathlete who loves to share his joy of the sport and general fitness through his racing. Matt lives and
      trains in Danville, Ca. with his biggest influence, his big brother, Ironman National Champion, Chris Lieto."
      Visit Matt's site at:
      http://bigmatt.trifuel.com/

      Send us your suggestions for our Five Star site. Please check our list of previous Five Star Sites available from the Five Star
      Window under the link "Previous Five Star Sites" as we do not wish to repeat a site unless it has undergone a major redesign.

      If you feel you have something to say that is worthy of a Guest Column on the Runner's Web, email us at
      mailto:webmaster@... or leave your comments in one of our Forums at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/forum.html or from our FrontPage.

      Book of the Week: Be Iron-Fit : Time-Efficient Training Secrets for Ultimate Fitness
      by Don Fink
      Ever dream of being an elite endurance athlete and competing in races like Hawaii's Ironman?
      Professional athletes are not the only people who have the ability to attain superior athletic accomplishments. Every season tens of
      thousands of amateur triathletes compete head-to-head, pushing their physical and mental strength to the absolute limits. The
      standard Ironman competition is a true test: a 2.4-mile open-water swim, followed by a 112-mile bike leg, and a 26.2-mile marathon
      run.
      Sought-after multisport coach, Don Fink assures readers that the challenge is not too difficult, the dream is not impossible. His
      time-efficient training methods have been honed over the years and have been proved to aid anyone in achieving their athletic
      dreams. Be Iron-Fit provides practical training information in a step-by-step, enjoyable way so that even everyday athletes can
      attain ultimate conditioning.
      Included in this revolutionary guide is information on:
      - The essential workouts
      - The training cycle
      - 12-week training programs
      - Effective time management
      - The principle of gradual adaptation
      - Effective heart-rate training
      - Preparing with training races
      - Proper technique
      - Equipment tips
      - Race and pre-race strategies
      - Mental training
      - Effective goal setting and race selection
      - And much more
      With the proper preparation and training techniques explained here, virtually anyone can attain supreme fitness.
      Buy the book at:
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1592282393/runnersweb/102-0182896-9006569?v=glance&s=books

      More books from Amazon at:
      and Human Kinetics at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html

      This Weeks News:

      Articles:

      1. Multisport: Mental Fatigue - When your brain tells you to stop going, here's how to tell it to shut up:
      What actually causes you to become mentally fatigued when you're out for a long bicycle ride or run or involved in a extended game
      of squash? Theories about mental fatigue abound, but one popular hypothesis is that most of the lethargy is caused by a chemical
      called tryptophan.
      Tryptophan is an amino acid which normally rides through your bloodstream attached to a very important blood plasma protein,
      albumin. However, when blood fat levels rise, as they do during prolonged exercise, the fats 'kick' tryptophan loose from its
      albumin moorings. This 'free' tryptophan then enters the brain in large quantities, where - converted to another chemical called
      serotonin - it may induce fatigue and produce a drop-off in performance (serotonin is noted for its calming and even sleep-producing
      effects on brain cells).
      This biochemical scenario has a protective effect: before you exercise so long that you tear your muscles to shreds, your brain
      fills up with tryptophan and you go to sleep - or at least you lose the willpower to force your muscles to keep going.
      More...from the Runner's Web at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news/rw_news_20041001_PPO_MentalFatigue.html

      2. Seven Nutrition Habits To Keep Your Heart Pumping Strong:
      Nutrition plays a big role in a heart-healthy lifestyle. Adopt these seven nutrition habits to feel great and keep performing at
      your best.
      Active women do their hearts a favor when they exercise, but with heart disease as the number-one killer among women, maintaining
      heart-healthy habits means more than just working out. While we can’t reverse age or genetic factors that influence heart disease,
      certain lifestyle factors beyond not smoking will go a long way to ensure your heart continues pumping strong.
      Nutrition plays a big role in a heart-healthy lifestyle. Adopt these seven nutrition habits to feel great and keep performing at
      your best:
      Load up on fruits and vegetables. Eating a minimum of five servings of fruits and vegetables per day increases heart health. Fruits
      and vegetables are packed with vitamins, minerals, fiber and phytonutrients, plant compounds that help fight heart disease as well
      as cancer and diabetes.
      Include Omega 3 fatty acids. Omega 3 fatty acids are polyunsaturated fats that protect against heart disease. They are most abundant
      in fatty fish such as mackerel, lake trout, herring, sardines, albacore tuna and salmon. Because your body can’t produce these fatty
      acids, try to eat at least two servings of fatty fish weekly. You can also get Omega 3s from canola oil, soybean, flaxseed, walnuts
      and wheat germ, though fish is thought to be the most effective source.
      More...from IronmanLive.com at:
      http://vnews.ironmanlive.com/vnews/topstories/1096382553

      3. Priority no.1 for middle and long distance runners - VO2 max:
      Priority No.1 for 800 to 10,000 metres runners is to maximise the VO2max. What is this? It is a measure of fitness, and literally
      means the amount of oxygen we can breathe in during one minute of maximal work and is expressed as millimetres per kilogramme per
      minute. World class middle distance runners have a figure of around 80mls.kg.min. (men) and 70mls.kg.min (women).
      The VO2max can be measured in a human research laboratory by asking the athlete to run at 11.3km/hour on a treadmill. After every
      minute of this for the first 5 minutes the treadmill is raised 2 degrees, so that after 5 minutes time the athlete is running up a
      gradient of 10 degrees. Thereafter the treadmill is raised 1 degree every minute. Top class runners can continue for more than 14
      minutes (17 degrees gradient) which approximates to 75mls.kg.min. Elite women can last for 12 minutes or more, equal to
      63mls.kg.min.
      However, for accuracy the athlete during this test breathes out expired air into a Douglas Bag. This bag is passed through an
      analyser to discover how much oxygen has been used – this is called indirect calorimetry. Treadmill tests have the disadvantage of
      being expensive and can only test one athlete at a time, also, they tend to be held during the working week.
      A more practical method of testing a large number of athletes is to use the Balke Test where the VO2max is predicted with 95%
      accuracy. To do this test you run for 15 minutes around a track on a windless day covering as much distance as possible in that
      time. If the distance of 4k (10 laps) is covered in that time it equates to 56.5mls.kg.min. For every additional 400m covered add
      4.5mls. An athlete who runs exactly 5k (12½ laps) will have a figure of 67.5mls.
      More...from the Serpentine Running Club at:
      http://www.serpentine.org.uk/advice/coach/fh49.php

      4. New Knees Now:
      Every year in the United States, more than 325,000 aching knees need to be replaced as the joints deteriorate.
      But for those facing such surgery, there's some encouraging news: A small but growing number of surgeons has been performing what is
      called "minimally invasive total knee replacements."
      Because the procedure involves a smaller incision and is less complicated, the time spent hospitalized is reduced and recovery is
      faster.
      It's akin to the minimally invasive techniques surgeons have been using for hip replacements in recent years.
      Doctors' Concerns
      Some doctors caution that not everyone is a candidate for the knee procedure, and some worry it doesn't have a long enough track
      record to justify it as the better technique.
      For those in need of new knees, experts recommend they question their orthopedic surgeon thoroughly and educate themselves about the
      new procedure — and the traditional one — before having surgery.
      More...from ABC News at:
      http://abcnews.go.com/sections/living/Healthology/knees_healthday_040924.html

      5. Land of enhancement:
      To gain a competitive edge, many athletes these days are turning to supplements. They may indeed produce a quick fix, but does
      long-term danger lurk for those who overuse them?
      Does he or doesn't he?
      Even more than whether or not he'll eclipse Hank Aaron's once-thought-to-be-unreachable 755 career homers, that question dogs Barry
      Bonds. The San Francisco Giants slugger's late-career power surge -- coupled with an Adonis-like build that wasn't as pronounced in
      his earlier years -- has raised doubts among critics who insist he's had medicinal help in his quest for all-time glory.
      The relationship of Bonds' trainer with Victor Conte, the owner of the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Op and alleged supplier of steroids to
      athletes, only heightens the suspicion, and Major League Baseball's much-maligned attempt at policing drugs within the sport offers
      no real answer.
      Bonds represents the highest-profile case, but there are athletes at most every level who seek help from a bottle or canister. And
      because a number of these supplements are readily available over the counter, their usage isn't always monitored closely.
      While steroid use is not likely to be widespread among high school students, there are other artificial means available to promote a
      better end. Prep athletes tend to gravitate toward supplements such as creatine, which increases the amount of time one is able to
      work out and allows for a much more rapid rate of recovery afterward.
      It can also create unforeseen problems.
      More...from Northwest Indiana News at:
      http://www.thetimesonline.com/articles/2004/09/24/sports/the_prep_zone_illinois/26b7aacd05cf542686256f18001bfefc.txt

      6. Red wine (and sex) good for men's health:
      Seattle researchers say one glass a day cuts risk of prostate cancer.
      Life keeps getting better for red wine drinkers. Now scientists say a glass a day sharply reduces men's risk of prostate cancer.
      Doctors already knew red wine is good for your heart. And a new study in the
      International Journal of Cancer says it cut the prostate-cancer rate in one group of men by about half.
      As well, it had its greatest effect in preventing the most aggressive and dangerous forms of prostate cancer.
      Meanwhile beer and liquor were useless, and white wine had only a patchy benefit.
      This builds on other recent good news for prostate care. The other way to protect your prostate is through frequent sex.
      Red wine is known to protect the heart, and scientists believe this is largely because it contains a substance called resveratrol.
      Now the team at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center in Seattle suggests resveratrol may also protect the prostate, a gland in men that
      produces fluid for semen.
      Cancer isn't a single disease that always works the same way. Luckily, resveratrol appears to work in a lot of good ways that may
      fight cancer:
      It is an antioxidant, removing dangerous, cancer-causing free radicals from the body.
      More...from Canada.com at:
      http://www.canada.com/vancouver/story.html?id=2682f9d2-14b5-4894-a32f-8fc6769b7292

      7. From Runner's World:
      * Coach's Corner
      "Running should be a passion, not an obsession. Obsessions burn out while passions, despite the occasional flicker during one of
      life's storms, blaze on and on." -Joan Nesbit-Mabe,
      former U.S. Olympian, an elite masters runner, and coach.

      * Injury Prevention
      When shin splints strike try ice to reduce inflammation. Another good treatment is to trace the alphabet (in a sitting position) on
      the floor with your toes. Do this with each leg. Or alternate walking on your heels for 30 seconds with 30 seconds of regular
      walking. Repeat four times. These exercises are good for both recovery and prevention. Try to do them three times a day

      * Performance Nutrition
      Apples are perfect for keeping the doctor away (really). Apples contain an antioxidant that may stave off the decline of lung
      capacity that occurs over time from air pollution. In a study of more than 2,500 men, those who ate five or more apples a week could
      suck in and pump out more air from their lungs than those who didn't eat any apples. Aim for one a day!

      * Older runners: "Because pool running can increase your range of motion--and doesn't involve pounding--it's great for older runners
      who suffer from arthritis or just the occasional creaky joints. Water running can actually decrease pain and stiffness, and improve
      joint flexibility." -Lori Adams, RW assistant editor

      * Word That Inspire "Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." -Ralph Waldo Emerson,
      writer and poet

      8. Joe Henderson's Running Commentary - Big Loser:
      Every class I teach leaves behind a most memorable student. This time it was the biggest and slowest one I'd known in four years of
      this teaching.
      Aaron e-mailed me before the summer class, saying, "I'm much slower than everyone else. Can you give me extra instruction on where
      we are running so I won't get lost?"
      He told of weighing 300-plus pounds when the year began. "I've lost 60 so far and want to keep going down," he wrote. "That's why I
      am signing up for your class, after taking fitness walking in the spring."
      This note turned out to be more than Aaron would say to me the rest of the summer combined. He never sent another e-mail, and rarely
      said anything in class if a nod or shake of his head would do.
      Before our class began, I'd mentioned Aaron's name to the walking teacher. She had warned, "He's going to give you trouble."
      Trouble? "He was so much slower than everyone else, even in the walking class, that we had to make special arrangements for him."
      His efforts never gave me any trouble. Just the opposite. He became one of my best students ever, and I'd love to have more like
      him.
      Aaron never said so, but I imagine he had made a New Year's resolution to lose weight. Unlike most such vows, his hadn't died of
      neglect by January 5th. He was a big loser in the best possible way.
      He had lost the 60 pounds when we met in June, but still was a big man. I pegged him at about 250.
      His legs looked strong but weren't built to carry even his new weight. He had to stop often during his runs to give his sore ankles
      a rest.
      More...from Joe Henderson at:
      http://www.joehenderson.com/archive/464.html

      9. Off-Season Training: Why Go Backwards?
      By Andy MacDonald
      So how many times have we heard, “Now that the season is over, I can just put base miles on my trainer and take it easy”? If you’re
      the one saying this, I really hope you’re my competition next year. You’re on your way backwards. I’m going to use an example for
      the basis of this article: the Seattle Seahawks. Finishing up the 2002 season, they really weren’t playoff bound however they were a
      team to contend with at the end of the season. Entering the 2003 season, they looked exactly where they were at the end of 2002 and
      ended up making the playoffs. Offense tightened up, as well as a well-built defense (so what if they lost to Green Bay in the
      playoffs? When was the last time Green Bay went overtime at a playoff game at home?). This basically proves what good off-season
      training can do for your team or, better yet, you as a cyclist or triathlete. If you’re coming off peaking at the end of the season,
      why in the world would you want to just throw away all of that hard work by just putting “base miles” on the trainer?
      More...from Transition Times at:
      http://www.transitiontimes.com/viewstory.cfm?ID=5770

      10. Pulling Yourself Out of a Rut by Siri Lindley:
      This article was originally published in Triathlete Magazine, 1999
      Things are going great! You feel strong, your training is right on and you, you rock!! Everything feels good. You’re swimming PR’s
      in the pool, cycling like a crazed yellow jersey laden phenom, and running like the wind, (or at least it feels that way!). Life is
      good. You say your thanks and make sure that everyday you appreciate all these wonderful things, knowing that the more you show your
      appreciation, the more likely they are to stick around.
      It’s kinda scary in a way. If you’re like me, you start to think , okay, something’s up here, this is too good to be true. Well, it’
      s not. It’s just that our journey’s through life will always consist of peaks and valleys. When things are good, or great for that
      matter, dive in, enjoy it, live each moment of it to the fullest! Gain strength, confidence, and power from it. Enjoy the feeling of
      relief you get when things run smoothly without really having to struggle with it. From this you can form a basis for those great
      visualizations we athletes are meant to be practicing each and every day. Imagining ourselves swimming, biking and running
      powerfully, fast, with great confidence and just a solid, steady effort. This is what we aim for in all our races. Internalize the
      great feeling of euphoria you get on those awesome days and then feed on that memory when things aren’t running so smoothly.
      More...from SiriLindley.com at:
      http://www.siri-lindley.com/articles/rut.htm

      11. How To Control Your Blood Pressure:
      Electrical charges make your nerves fire, your heart beat, and your muscles contract. To generate these charges, you need
      electrolytes — sodium, potassium and chloride. The right balance of electrolytes maintains all your cells as well as the balance of
      fluids in your bloodstream.
      Every time you lose body fluids (blood, sweat, tears), you lose electrolytes. Lose them too quickly and severely — through severe
      vomiting/diarrhea, blood loss or dehydration/heatstroke, for example — and you may need serious medical attention. If your
      electrolytes are too far out of kilter, your ticker might not tick: Potassium is essential for maintaining your heartbeat.
      Much more common is a subtle, chronic imbalance — too much sodium, too little potassium — that over time increases your risk of high
      blood pressure, which in turn raises your risk of heart disease and stroke.
      More...from Yahoo at:
      http://health.yahoo.com/search/miavita?lb=s&p=id%3A38028

      12. Study Backs Therapy Over Sleeping Pills:
      You may be tempted to reach for a sleeping pill if you continually have trouble nodding off, but a small new study indicates you
      might be better off with cognitive therapy.
      "For people who have insomnia, there is now solid scientific evidence that the first-line treatment should be cognitive behavioral
      therapy, and not sleeping pills," said lead researcher Gregg Jacobs, an insomnia specialist at the Sleep Disorders Center of Beth
      Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston.
      But because the study is so small, another expert is far from convinced that it will put the debate to rest anytime soon.
      More than 70 million Americans suffer from insomnia, and it is one of the main reasons people see their doctors. According to the
      National Sleep Foundation's 2002 "Sleep in America" poll, 35 percent of all adults have symptoms of insomnia every night, and 58
      percent report insomnia at least a few nights a week.
      More...from Forbes at:
      http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/health/feeds/hscout/2004/09/28/hscout521428.html

      13. The Pregnant Runner:
      Because running teaches you to listen to every whisper from your body, you can probably discern whether or not you're pregnant
      simply by how you feel when you run.
      Laurie couldn't figure out why she wasn't running faster. "Here I was racing at sea level after training at altitude, and I didn't
      feel any faster," she recalls. "I'd just gone for a run with a friend and I was telling her how crummy I felt: sluggish, heart
      racing, just tired. She thought she recognized my symptoms. We were at the train station in Chicago and she made me stop in the
      drugstore and get a pregnancy test. We checked it right there in the ladies' room at Union Station, and sure enough, I was
      pregnant!"
      Other than the part about the train station, Laurie's experience is similar to that of many women runners. Because running teaches
      you to listen to every whisper from your body, you can probably discern whether or not you're pregnant simply by how you feel when
      you run. Something may simply feel amiss. Your pulse may race, you may breathe more heavily, or you may have to work harder to hit
      the same times. After a few days--or weeks--of wondering what's wrong, all the pieces fall into place when you take a pregnancy test
      and find out that you're "running for two."
      More...from Runner's World at:
      http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,5033,s6-51-0-0-1138,00.html

      14. Women's Only Races:
      Q: Why do women have women only races? As far as I know there aren't any men only races. Just curious.
      A: You've asked a perfectly legitimate question, one that has a several answers. None of them are perfect, but here goes.
      Many beginning women runners are intimidated by the thought of competing or participating with men. They can be self-conscious about
      their abilities or nervous about towing the line in a mixed race. Numbers of women who participate in women only races are huge.
      Events like the St. Lukes Women's Fitness Celebration 5k attract tens of thousands of women runners and walkers each year. For many
      participants these races are the beginning of a commitment to fitness that some women might not have been able to make in a race
      with men.
      Some women-only races have women's charities as their primary beneficiary. They raise awareness about women's issues as well as
      raising money and involving women from organization to implementation as well as catering to the women participants.
      And finally, women-only races allow elite women runners to experience the thrill of being the first person across the finish line,
      an impossibility in a race with men. In large races a huge portion of the attention from spectators and the media is on the men's
      race. It is the only part of the race covered by the press truck, usually leaving women's coverage to a reporter on a motorcycle as
      opposed to the cadre of journalists, photographers and videographers following the men. Women-only races celebrate the achievements
      of extraordinary women athletes who often get lost in the media shuffle of mixed races.
      I hope that men will encourage women runners by participating in these races as volunteers or raising money for the women's causes
      they promote.
      From Running Times "Ask Candace" at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/askcandace/askcandace.htm

      15. Learning good form is not easy, but it's worth the cost:
      By Dan Empfield - Slowtwitch.com
      The irony is not readily apparent. Some of the world's truly economical phenomena require a tremendous expenditure of energy and
      power in order to function properly.
      Consider Boeing's in-development Sonic Cruiser. Its twin Pratt & Whitney 4098 engines, the same power as a 777; each develops 98,000
      pounds of thrust. The Sonic Cruiser will deliver passengers to their destinations at a lower fuel cost per seat. But, the engines
      will burn fuel at a faster rate than when they're mounted on a 777.
      In order for the economy to be realized, the plane must get to its destination faster, completing more routes each day. It will
      cruise at 725 miles per hour, 15 to 20 percent faster than any commercial airliner flying today.
      Consider a much smaller denizen of the air. Wandering albatrosses spend 90 percent of their lives aloft, and may not touch dry land
      for nine months at a time. They sleep in the air. Their 10- to 12-foot wingspans allow for such economy -- not, however, without
      considerable strength required to gain flight.
      More...from Active.com at:
      http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=11248&sidebar=26&category=triathlon

      16. Hyponatremia or Overhydration – who is at risk?
      Hyponatremia has gained media attention in the last few years, but it is important for athletes to realize that dehydration is much
      more common and “overhydration” is a risk mostly associated with ultra-endurance sports and not sports events lasting less than 2
      hours such as hockey, basketball and soccer, or shorter hikes/runs.
      Hyponatremia, a low concentration of sodium in the blood, has become more prevalent in athletes as more people are participating in
      endurance sports lasting more than 3 hours such as marathons. Such prolonged activity and excessive sweat production increases the
      risk of an athlete having too little sodium in their blood stream during training and competition. The hyponatremia or
      “overhydration” associated with prolonged exercise arises primarily from fluid overload, underreplacement of sodium losses, or both.
      When blood sodium concentration falls to abnormally low levels, a rapid and dangerous swelling of the brain occurs, that can result
      in seizures, coma, and death.
      More...from SportMedBC at:
      http://www.sportmedbc.com/Content/LearningAndResources/LibraryArticles.asp?ItemID=6919&LangID=1

      17. Exercise & asthma:
      Asthma affects every aspect of a person's life, in particular the ability to exercise. Yet regular physical exercise increases your
      fitness level, makes you feel better, and improves your self-esteem and confidence. This is particularly true in children. With
      proper detection and control of your asthma you can have an active lifestyle. Determining the correct medication and taking it
      appropriately are fundamental to maintaining control of asthma and will help enable you to live your life to the fullest.
      Control Your Asthma First
      Over the past several years asthma medications have been developed that can provide long-term control of the illness, as well as
      alleviate intermittent asthma attacks. One of the most effective is the inhaled corticosteroid, budesonide (Pulmicort®), used for
      treating inflammation of the airways, and the long-term management of asthma. Recently, a new medication for the control and
      treatment of asthma, called Symbicort®, which contains budesonide, together with the fast and long-acting beta-agonist
      bronchodilator formoterol, was approved by Health Canada. It is indicated for regular maintenance treatment of asthma.
      More...from MedBroadCast.com at:
      http://www.medbroadcast.com/channel_section_details.asp?channel_id=1016&relation_id=76&text_id=1184

      18. Five ways to speed up muscle repair:
      There are a few ways in which runners can hasten muscle repair. Our Virtual Coach tells you more in this article.
      1. Proper tapering
      Proper tapering off of exercise at the end of a training run or race will prevent pooling of blood in the lower extremities due to
      the sudden stopping of the pumping action of the muscles to the veins. Jog slowly to finish off any strenuous run you do. Standing
      around after a run to talk to your friends may be social, but can add to the soreness you will feel the next day.
      2. Stretching
      Stretching achieves three physiological processes. It realigns muscle fibres that have been disarranged by shortening and stress.
      Stretching enhances the flow of oxygenated blood to the muscle tissues. It also gives the body tone and balance, re-invigorating the
      muscular and connective tissue systems.
      3. Elevation
      Placing the legs up against a wall or similar structure, while lying on one's back on the floor or ground for ten or twenty minutes,
      will help too. Blood drains from the legs assisting removal of the waste products of an over-burdened muscle. Similar to tapering of
      exercise, this counters a tendency for blood to pool in the lower extremities.
      4. Massage
      Massage principally assists the returning blood flow to the heart, when the pressure stroke of the massage is towards the heart. It
      also relaxes the muscle and restores a feeling of comfort and well-being in the muscle.
      More...from World of Endurance at:
      http://worldofendurance.com/article.asp?a_id=207649

      19. Carbohydrate loading: A safe way to boost endurance:
      Carbohydrate loading may give you the endurance you need to accomplish your goal.
      What is carbohydrate loading?
      First, you need to understand some basic facts about carbohydrates. There are two types:
      Complex, or starches. These include grains, vegetables and legumes (beans and peas).
      Simple. These are sugars and sweets, including fruit and dairy products.
      Carbohydrates are your muscles' main source of fuel. Stored carbohydrates are called glycogen. Your muscles can only store small
      amounts of glycogen, and they can't borrow glycogen stores from other areas. Normally, this isn't a problem. But if you start
      exercising at high intensity and continue for more than 60 to 90 minutes, your muscles will run out of glycogen, greatly affecting
      your stamina and performance.
      Carbohydrate loading works by forcing your body into storing more glycogen. First, you taper the amount of exercise you're doing
      just before a high endurance event so that you don't use up your body's stores of glycogen. Then, by eating significantly more
      carbohydrates, you fill your muscles with excess glycogen that can be used as fuel, delaying fatigue
      More...from the Mayo Clinic at:
      http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?objectid=F0750ED8-A1D2-45A9-958CDA4B4EFF4796

      20. Re-charge Your Batteries:
      Take our quiz, make a few changes, and watch your energy levels soar.
      For most of us, energy is like money: We never seem to have enough. But we can protect, and even boost, our precious energy stores
      by fueling up with certain foods and limiting others. The trick is knowing which nutrients your body needs and which it doesn't.
      To figure this out, take my energy-assessment quiz. The following five questions will help you determine which nutritional culprits
      may be short-circuiting you. Once you've identified the likely suspects, follow the solutions offered. Then figure out what you're
      going to do with all your extra energy.
      Do You Have Tired Blood?
      Anemia, which simply means "weak" or "sick" blood, is a very common cause of fatigue. Our red blood cells deliver oxygen to our
      organs and working muscles, but if your body doesn't produce enough healthy red blood cells, oxygen delivery is compromised
      throughout the body. The result: mental and physical fatigue. To determine if you're anemic, you need to go to your doctor and have
      your blood tested. If you are anemic, your doctor should be able to tell you which nutrients you may be lacking, since healthy
      red-blood-cell production depends on a host of nutrients. Here are the most common causes of anemia, and what to do about each:
      More...from Reebok Runner at:
      http://www.reebokrunner.com/features/bounce.html

      21. Sick and Tired Athletes:
      Something has gone wrong. Lately it seems that you have been sick a lot. You feel listless at home, bored at work, and your workouts
      have been lousy. Getting motivated for anything takes supreme willpower. When yet another upper respiratory infection hits, you
      decide to lay off the exercise and stew in the juices of frustration. What has happened?
      If this scenario sounds familiar the you're not alone. Frequent upper respiratory infections (URIs) are just one of the signs that
      your body is being pushed too hard. Coaches have observed that some athletes appear to be frequently ill and, historically, in both
      the summer and winter Olympic games, team physicians have noted the common occurrence of URIs. All too often this tarnishes the
      athletes chance at gold.
      An opposing perspective comes from athletes, most of whom believe that they are healthier since starting an exercise program.
      Furthermore, most medical authorities tell us that exercise promotes good health. Why do some athletes get sick frequently while
      others remain healthy? Is exercise good or bad for the immune system?
      More...from SportsMedWeb at:
      http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/fatigue.html

      22. 26 tips for 26.2 miles:
      It’s the busy season for 26.2 miles. Many first-time marathoners are about to embark on a journey that veterans say has no equal.
      Those 26.2 miles are an experience — for the better or for the worse — that many say you’re sure to recount for the rest of your
      life.
      Here are 26 tips from Roanoke Valley veteran marathoners and Runners’ World magazine about how to train for a marathon, run it and
      finish well.
      Whether this is your first or your 50th marathon, consider advice from others who have been down that road before.
      Training:
      1) It’s okay to miss a day of training. Missing an 8-mile midweek run or even a longer weekend run will not prevent you from
      finishing the marathon.— Deanna Grim, Vinton
      2) Stash water along your route the night before. Buy a 12-pack of 8-ounce bottles to supply several long runs. Set up a stash with
      a bottle of water and an energy gel. End points at highway guardrails often have a hollow, sheltered compartment that's great for a
      water/fuel stash. — Brian Kelley, Roanoke
      More...from Roanoke. COM at:
      http://www.roanoke.com/outdoors/running%5C11481.html

      23. Stretching - A ritual questioned:
      by Frank Horwill
      When, in 1980 during a lecture to the British Milers’ Club, John Anderson, National B.A.A.B. Coach for Scotland, and former mentor
      of Dave Bedford and Dave Woodcroft (Both broke world records at 10k and 5k respectively), stated, "I do not believe in stretching
      before training and competition," there was a gasp from his audience. This was tantamount to heresy, some even thought it bordered
      on idiocy. Many of the coaches present had been brought up through the Oxford University athletics system, the coaching manual of
      which stated in very precise terms how a warm up should proceed:-
      Jog 1 – 2 miles.
      Do suppling exercises (Arms).
      Do stretching exercises (Legs).
      Do strength exercises before training. Omit before competition
      Do several strides of 150 yards in length, increasing speed every 50 yards.
      After this edict there followed an observation – "Even if you do nothing else, at least you’ve done something useful."
      Olaf Astrand, in 1974, asserted that a 10 minute jog before any physical activity raises the body temperature 1 degree F., this in
      turn enables haemoglobin in the blood to take on more oxygen and to release more to the working muscles. The difference in
      performance between no warm up jog and a 10 minute jog, is that the latter will enhance physical activity to come by up to 4 %.
      Also, the phenomena of "second wind" will be eradicated. This condition occurs about 2 minutes after any exercise where the oxygen
      supply has not caught up with the body’s demand to perform an activity.
      More...from the Serpentine Running Club at:
      http://www.serpentine.org.uk/advice/coach/fh41.php

      24. Why fast pedaling makes cyclists more efficient:
      Recently we reported that cyclists are usually more efficient on both hills and flat terrain when they pedal quickly (at about 80-85
      rpm) rather than at slower cadences.
      Now, a new study suggests that the greater efficiency may be related to the rapid rate at which glycogen is depleted in fast-twitch
      muscle fibers during slow, high-force pedaling.
      To determine the actual effects of slow and fast pedaling on leg-muscle cells, scientists at the University of Wisconsin and the
      University of Wyoming asked eight experienced cyclists to cycle at an intensity of 85% V02max for 30 minutes under two different
      conditions.
      In one case the cyclists pedaled their bikes at 50 revolutions per minute (rpm) while using a high gear. In the second case, the
      athletes pedaled in a low gear at 100 rpm. The athletes were traveling at identical speeds in the two instances, so their leg-muscle
      contractions were quite forceful at 50 rpm and moderate -- but more frequent -- at 100 rpm.
      More...from Active.com at:
      http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=11228&sidebar=21&category=cycling

      25. News Scan:

      * Ajinomoto Unveils Efficient Amino Acids Intake Method for Athletes
      Tokyo (JCNN) - Ajinomoto (TSE:2802) announced that it has ascertained an amino acids intake method that helps increase muscles
      efficiency, in collaboration with University of Texas Professor K. D. Tipton.
      The new method indicates that a daily adequate intake of amino acids just before and right after exercises plays an important role
      in conditioning athletes.
      In fact, Japanese athletes who participated in the Athens 2004 Olympic Games took account of the importance of amino acid intake
      Ongoing Events:

      * Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine
      Vigorous Exercise Helps to Prevent Osteoporosis
      A woman's bones are strongest when she is twenty years old. After that, she continues to lose bone for the rest of her life, and for
      the first few years of menopause, the rate that she loses bones more than triples. A study from the University of Erlangen in
      Germany shows that vigorous exercise during the menopause helps prevent osteoporosis (Archives of Internal Medicine, May 24, 2004).
      In this study, fifty women lifted weights in group training sessions twice a week, and exercised by themselves twice a week. They
      also took calcium and vitamin D.
      As their muscles became stronger, so did their bones. Their blood cholesterol levels dropped significantly and they complained far
      less about muscle and joint pains. This study shows that strengthening muscles also strengthens bones and that women who exercise
      vigorously in later life may have less muscle and joint pain.
      Other studies have shown that women can benefit from a strength training program at any age to prevent osteoporosis or slow its
      progression. Join a gym that has weight-training machines and pick six to ten of the machines. Have the instructor help you select
      the appropriate weights and teach you how to use the machines properly. Do a set of eight movements in a row on the first machine,
      rest a few seconds and then do two more sets of eight. Do this on each of the machines. Repeat the routine two or three times a
      week. It's never too late to start.

      * Dear Dr. Mirkin: Do competitive athletes have a greater chance of developing arthritis than non-athletes?
      Yes; former champion athletes are at higher risk for degenerative arthritis requiring eventual hip and knee replacements, but that
      doesn't mean that you should stop exercising. Champion athletes often train through pain and compete when they are injured. You
      should never do that. Your body talks to you. If your hip or knee hurts when you exercise, stop exercising. If the pain returns
      every time that you run, stop running and find another sport.
      Most former athletes who end up with joint replacement surgery had major injuries that came from training when they should have
      rested, or from traumatic injury that damaged cartilage. Damaged cartilage never heals. Most people who have damage to the
      cartilage in their hip or knee joints should stop running and jumping, because the impact when their feet hit the ground is
      transmitted up to break more cartilage. Relatively safe hip and knee exercises include cycling and swimming; they are done with
      smooth rotary motions without road shock, or in
      the water that protects the joints. When the pain in your knee is so bad that it prevents you from sleeping, it may be time to get a
      knee replacement.

      *Dear Dr. Mirkin: How does pepper cream relieve pain?
      Pain messages are passed along nerves by a neurotransmitter called substance P. Capsaicin, the substance that makes peppers hot,
      blocks substance P and the resultant pain. Creams containing capsaicin will block pain in joints, nerves or skin. They can be used
      to relieve the pain of rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, the chest pain called Tietze's syndrome, nerve damage from diabetes,
      operations, injuries,
      tumors and infections in the lungs and bladder. Reports show that capsaicin cream also can control pain from breast surgery, cluster
      headaches and psoriasis, or itching from any cause.
      Pepper creams are available over-the-counter in most drug stores. When you use them, you need to understand that capsaicin is a
      very stable alkaloid that cannot be washed off your skin, even with soap. If you apply it with your fingertips and then later touch
      your eyes, lips, or any mucous membrane or open cuts, you can get a nasty burning sensation that will last about twenty minutes.
      You can avoid this problem by wearing rubber gloves to apply it, or buy the pepper cream in a special roll-on applicator bottle so
      you don't get it on your hands.

      * Biochemistry of exercise-induced metabolic acidosis.
      Robergs RA, Ghiasvand F, Parker D.
      Exercise Science Program, Department of Physical Performance and Development, Johnson Center, Rm. B143, The University of New
      Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131-1258, USA. rrobergs@...
      The development of acidosis during intense exercise has traditionally been explained by the increased production of lactic acid,
      causing the release of a proton and the formation of the acid salt sodium lactate. On the basis of this explanation, if the rate of
      lactate production is high enough, the cellular proton buffering capacity can be exceeded, resulting in a decrease in cellular pH.
      These biochemical events have been termed lactic acidosis. The lactic acidosis of exercise has been a classic explanation of the
      biochemistry of acidosis for more than 80 years. This belief has led to the interpretation that lactate production causes acidosis
      and, in turn, that increased lactate production is one of the several causes of muscle fatigue during intense exercise. This review
      presents clear evidence that there is no biochemical support for lactate production causing acidosis. Lactate production retards,
      not causes, acidosis. Similarly, there is a wealth of research evidence to show that acidosis is caused by reactions other than
      lactate production. Every time ATP is broken down to ADP and P(i), a proton is released. When the ATP demand of muscle contraction
      is met by mitochondrial respiration, there is no proton accumulation in the cell, as protons are used by the mitochondria for
      oxidative phosphorylation and to maintain the proton gradient in the intermembranous space. It is only when the exercise intensity
      increases beyond steady state that there is a need for greater reliance on ATP regeneration from glycolysis and the phosphagen
      system. The ATP that is supplied from these nonmitochondrial sources and is eventually used to fuel muscle contraction increases
      proton release and causes the acidosis of intense exercise. Lactate production increases under these cellular conditions to prevent
      pyruvate accumulation and supply the NAD(+) needed for phase 2 of glycolysis. Thus increased lactate production coincides with
      cellular acidosis and remains a good indirect marker for cell metabolic conditions that induce metabolic acidosis. If muscle did not
      produce lactate, acidosis and muscle fatigue would occur more quickly and exercise performance would be severely impaired.

      * Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine
      How to Eat When You Exercise
      If you are going to exercise for more than an hour, you can increase your endurance by eating every 15 to 20 minutes. A feeling of
      general tiredness during exercise is usually caused by low levels of stored sugar in your liver, while a feeling of muscle fatigue
      is usually caused by low levels of stored muscle sugar.
      Your brain gets more than 98 percent of its energy from sugar flowing to it in the bloodstream, but there is only enough sugar in
      your bloodstream to last for three minutes. Your liver must constantly release sugar from its cells into your bloodstream. However,
      there is only enough energy in your liver to last about 12 hours without replenishment.
      Your muscles get their energy from many sources: sugar and fat stored in them, and sugar, fat or protein in the bloodstream. When
      your muscles run out of their stored sugar supply, they can hurt and feel tired. You can increase endurance by eating frequently,
      and you can eat whatever you like: nuts, fresh or dried fruits, chicken, sandwiches or anything else. The amount of sugar you get in
      sports drinks is not adequate to support strenuous exercise for long periods of time.

      * Dear Dr. Mirkin: I feel tired all the time. Will iron pills help?
      You should not take iron pills without a specific diagnosis. Several studies have shown that iron deficiency can be healthful.
      Before the bad LDL cholesterol can form plaques in arteries, it must be converted to oxidized LDL and iron causes this reaction.
      Lack of iron reduces your chances of forming plaques in your arteries and suffering heart attacks and strokes.
      Less than 50 percent of the iron in your body is in your red blood cells. Most iron is in your iron reserves in your liver, spleen
      and other tissues. Your body needs iron to make red blood cells and if your body does not contain enough iron, you will become
      anemic, but you will not become anemic until you have depleted all your iron reserves. You can be iron deficient but not anemic when
      you have an adequate supply of red blood
      cells, but no iron reserves. Iron deficiency does not make you tired unless you are also anemic, but it can tire athletes exercising
      at their maximum.
      Blood iron levels are parts of routine blood tests. If your blood iron levels are low and you are not anemic, you need a special
      test called ferritin to measure iron reserves. If your ferritin is low, your doctor will look for a source of bleeding such as
      heavy menstruation or through your intestinal tract. If no serious source is found, you need no treatment unless you are a highly
      competitive athlete.

      This Weeks Featured Events:
      *Please verify event dates with the event websites*

      October 2, 2004:
      Asheville Half Marathon - NC
      http://www.citizen-times.com/race
      * Delayed from September 18th due to IVAN*

      Canadian Duathlon Championships- Quebec City, PQ
      http://www.duathlon.qc.ca

      New Hampshire Marathon - Hebron, NH
      http://www.nhmarathon.com/

      Road Runner Akron Marathon - Akron, OH
      http://www.akronmarathon.org

      Texas MedClinic Half-Marathon - Helotes, TX
      http://www.cowgirlcreativegroup.com/heloteshalf/hh_home.htm

      Television - CBC
      5 pm.-6 p.m. EDT - Road Cycling World Championships

      October 3, 2004:
      Portland Marathon - OR
      http://www.portlandmarathon.org

      Twin Cities Marathon - Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN
      *USA Masters Championship
      http://www.twincitiesmarathon.org

      World Half-Marathon Championships - New Delhi, IND
      http://www.iaaf.org

      October 16, 2004:
      Ottawa Athletic Club Corporate Relay
      The Runner's Web is a proud sponsor of the Ottawa Athletic Club Corporate Relay - Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 8 AM
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/corporate_relay.html

      For more complete race listings check out our Upcoming Races Check the Runner's Web on Sunday and Monday for race
      reports on these events at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html

      This Weeks Personal Postings/Releases:

      We have ONE personal posting this week.
      Hello
      I am a doctoral student at The George Washington University, embarking on my dissertation research.
      The intent of this research is to measure non-physical changes that are experienced by individuals completing their first marathon.
      These changes focus on how the individual approaches new tasks.
      To be part of this study you must have signed up for (or started training for) a marathon recently (in the last few weeks) or are
      planning to sign up for a marathon within the next year. Anticipated completion time is NOT a consideration for eligibility to
      participate in this study.
      As part of the study you will be asked to fill out a questionnaire. This should take less than 30 minutes.
      After your marathon date, you will be sent another copy of the questionnaire to complete. This will need to be filled out 2 to 3
      weeks after you complete your marathon.
      Surveys will be sent to you via email. The first will be sent within a few days of signing up for the study. The second will be sent
      about two weeks after your marathon date. You will be asked to return the completed surveys via email.
      There will be a third optional phase, in addition to the first 2 phases. This will be a short interview that should last less than
      30 minutes. You can choose to participate in just the first two stages of this study, or all three. If you choose to participate in
      the follow-up interviews they can be done either in person or by phone.
      To signup please go to www.bke-associates.com and select `research'. If you have any questions feel free to contact me at
      mailto:bea@... or call 410-353-4722.
      Please forward this to others (groups or individuals) who are / may be planning their first marathon.

      Thanks,
      Bea Carson

      Television and Online Coverage:
      [Check local listings as event times are subject to change]

      Check out our FrontPage and our Runner's Web Television Links page at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/rw_television.html

      For Triathlon Coverage check out The Sports Network at:
      http://www2.sportsnet.ca/tvschedule/tvsked_sport.php?region=ONTARIO&schedule_id=25

      Your Feedback and Comments:
      Comments, contributions and feedback are always welcome via this list at: mailto:runnersweb@yahoogroups.com and in our Runner's Web
      Forum, available off our FrontPage. If you post to the mailing list and get your email returned, please contact the Runner's Web at
      mailto:webmaster@... to notify us of the problem. To update your Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile,

      Runner's Web
      webmaster@... <mailto:webmaster@...>
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html