Runner's Web Digest - April 2, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2004
      Runner's Web Digest - April 2, 2004

      The Original Runner's and Triathlete's Web was founded in January of 1997 as a not-for-profit resource site.
      RunnersWeb.com Inc. is now a small business venture which sponsors the OAC Racing Team, a women's road racing and
      triathlon club, and the OAC Gatineau Triathlon and OAC Corporate Relay. The site is not in any way associated with the
      two UK "Runner's Web" copycat sites.

      This issue is brought to you by Road Runner Sports, the world's largest running store at:
      <http://www.roadrunnersports.com/cgi-bin/rrs/rrs/rrHome.jsp?sc=CBM-00105&prfc=1>
      Is your favourite running shoe being discontinued? Check RRS to find out.

      Runner's Web Affiliate Programs:

      Sof Sole Offer:
      A free pair of our technical socks ($9.99 value) with the purchase of any Sof Sole insole.
      http://www.sofsole.com/pages/promo/rwebsockoffer.html

      Get Fit Running: If you are 150 pounds, sleeping burns 61 calories an hour, race walking burns 442 calories and running
      5mph burns 544 calories an hour! To reach your personal, health, fitness, and performance goals, subscribe to RUNNER'S
      WORLD today!
      (Get fit with Runner's World)
      http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=pgaZgw/VDU4&offerid=58447.10000229&type=3&subid=0

      Get 15% off adidas products when you sign up for their free newsletter at:
      http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=20812557&siteid=39999062&bfpage=1574532

      Get your RoadID at:
      http://www.roadid.com/?referrer=50

      The TRACK PROFILE Reader 2004, an in-depth review of the 2003 season by Bob Ramsak, is now available. Selected from
      hundreds of reports filed by the Track Profile News Service last year, The TRACK PROFILE READER provides a unique look
      back at the personalities, stories and events that defined track and field in 2003. With in depth profiles of the
      sport's biggest stars and comprehensive on-site reports from major competitions, this annual review takes the reader
      beyond the results, providing a perfect companion for casual and diehard fans alike. Check out the book at:
      http://www.booksurge.com/author.php3?accountID=GPUB00341&affiliateID=A000497

      The Runner's Web Digest is a weekly e-zine dealing with the sports of running and triathlon and general fitness and
      health issues.
      The opinions expressed in the articles referenced by the Digest are the opinions of the writers and not the Runner's Web
      This newsletter has been composed using Outlook set to text format. The Digest is sent via an email list at
      http://groups.yahoo.com

      Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out our
      daily news
      features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more. General questions should be posted to one of our forums available
      from our FrontPage.

      For new subscribers:
      If you have any questions regarding the options available for receiving this
      digest, please do NOT email the list, rather email me directly at
      mailto:Webmaster@...

      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for viruses. Also, all messages must be approved by
      the monitor (me) prior to being released to the group.

      NOTE********************************************************************************************************************
      *******************************
      [ Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two lines. If you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that
      you paste the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or another appropriate suffix ].
      ************************************************************************************************************************
      *********************************

      References/URLs:
      Most references in the digest which do not have a specific URL listed here are available from the Runner's Web FrontPage
      at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html
      Also, if have email software that does not read HTML, all links contained in the Digest are available from the Runner's
      Web Site or
      from me. All URLs listed here have been verified as of the Digest publication date. It is possible that the site may
      have archived or deleted the
      page after publication. If you are unable to reach a URL listed here, ensure that you are using the entire URL (see
      above).
      If you still cannot reach the site, please email me at mailto:webmaster@... and I will try to track it down.

      Note: Some sites require free registration.

      New This Week:

      Runner's Web traffic continues to grow! In March we passes 2 million hits and 600,000 page views for the month, both
      records.

      Pegasus Quiz:
      Peter Ennis of Ottawa was the first to identify the photo as that of Joan Benoit at Boston in 1983. He wins a copy of
      RunLog software.

      Check out our new CHAT feature from our FrontPage.

      Free Online Virus Scan:
      Scan your PC for free at Panda Software:
      http://www.pandasoftware.es/activescan/activescan-com.asp

      We have NO personal postings this week.
      Personal Postings, when available, are located after the Upcoming Section
      towards the bottom of the newsletter.

      Our latest column from Carmichael Training Systems is available:
      Fit or Fat? Balancing Weight Loss With Fitness Goals written by Chris Carmichael.
      heck it out at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/cts_columns.html

      Digest Article Index:

      1. Factors to Consider When Purchasing Fitness Tracking Software
      2. Sudden deaths of older athletes may be tied to exercise
      3. Reaching The Limits Of Exercise
      4. Is 30 minutes enough for a workout? Sorting hype from fact
      5. 10 Things to Make Training More Effective
      6. Athletes and Depression
      An athlete's guide to depression
      7. Everything you wanted to know about "dietary supplements"
      8. Changing Your Drinking Habits Changes Your Health
      9. Pittsburgh man completes second jaunt across Alaska
      10. Speeding up at 92
      Fauja Singh ran his first marathon at 89. He's getting faster.
      11. Sane Weight Loss in a Carb-Obsessed World: High Fiber and Low Fat
      12. Deena Drossin
      One of America's most promising distance runners.
      13. Dip Into Honey Pot for Good Health:
      14. Most Asthmatic Kids Not Prepared for Sports
      15. Inside the stressed-out
      Life's daily pressures can take a toll on the body, raising the risk of illness. A greater understanding of the effects
      could lead to more solutions.
      16. Entrepreneurs shape up as fitness start-ups thrive
      17. How To Run and Enjoy the Marathon - (A Practical Guide To The 26.2-Mile
      Journey) By James Raia
      Chapter 7. Need Motivation? Take a break
      18. From Runner's World
      19. Stretching Scientifically
      The latest scientific studies and research findings!
      20. Can Poor Sleep Affect Your Weight?
      Too tired to exercise? Craving carbs? You may want to sleep on it. Listen to what experts have to say about the link
      between sleep problems and your weight.
      21. Stabilization by Maylene Wise
      22. Brian Maxwell, 1953-2004
      23. The Importance of Hip Stability
      24. Strength and Power Training for Endurance Athletes
      25. News Scan

      Runner's Web Weekly Poll:

      This week's poll is: "What is you all-time personal best marathon time?"
      Cast your vote at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html
      Post your views in our Forum at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/runnersweb_forum.html
      [Free Registration Required]

      The previous poll was: "Which of the following marathons would you run if you had an unlimited amount of time to train
      and cost was not an issue?"

      The results at publication time were:
      Answers Votes Percent
      1. Berlin 21 8%
      2. Boston 47 18%
      3. Chicago 20 7%
      4. Honolulu 39 15%
      5. London 46 17%
      6. Los Angeles 17 6%
      7. Marine Corps 13 5%
      8. National Capital (Ottawa) 17 6%
      9. New York 26 10%
      10. Rotterdam 21 8%
      Total Votes: 267

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage as well as voting on and/or checking the results of previous polls.

      Five Star Site of the Week: Women's Sports Net.com.
      "Welcome our first official week of Women's Sports Net.com. One Source for Women's Sports, Fitness, Diet & Health news.
      The response we had during beta testing in February was amazing and I think each and every one of you for your ideas and
      your energy. March is one of the busiest seasons for women's sports as professional golf kicks of their season, women's
      tennis heads off the Pacific Life Open. Women's Sports Net will follow these and other sports as well as the latest in
      health, fitness and diet news."
      Visit the site at:
      http://www.womenssportsnet.com

      Send us your suggestions for our Five Star site. Please check our list of previous Five Star Sites available from the
      Five Star Window under
      the link "Previous Five Star Sites" as we do not wish to repeat a site unless it has undergone a major redesign.

      If you feel you have something to say that is worthy of a Guest Column on the Runner's Web, email us at
      mailto:RunnersWeb@...
      or leave your comments in one of our Forums at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/forum.html or from our FrontPage.

      Book of the Week: Science of Flexibility-3rd Edition.
      Gain a well-rounded understanding of the principles underlying stretching and flexibility with the updated third edition
      of Science of Flexibility. This practical text includes illustrated stretching exercises with a concentration on muscle
      structure and the technical nature of stretching. You will learn about the principles and clinical aspects of
      flexibility, the factors limiting flexibility, as well as techniques to enhance flexibility throughout the body.
      Based on the latest research, Science of Flexibility, Third Edition, provides a comprehensive examination of the
      scientific, anatomical, and clinical principles of stretching. A 16-page appendix features 60 illustrated stretching
      exercises. A basic stretching exercise is given for every major part of the body—starting with the toes and plantar
      arches in the feet, on to the quadriceps and hip flexors, trunk and back, and finishing with the neck, shoulders, and
      arms.
      The new edition also includes many additional features:
      An expanded research section with 2,100 scholarly and professional references
      Boxes within the text that expand discussion of stretching-related topics such as elasticity, collagen and scarring, and
      altered stretch perception
      Redrawn tables and figures as well as new illustrations
      New information on several sports and artistic disciplines, including music and dance, and their functional aspects of
      stretching.
      More...or to buy the book:
      http://www.humankinetics.com/products/showproduct.cfm?associate=880&isbn=0736048987

      Be sure to check out our Flash Page where we list all recent additions to
      the Runner's Web. This page is updated before Monday morning each week.

      This Weeks News:

      Articles:

      1. Factors to Consider When Purchasing Fitness Tracking Software:
      If you're like many athletes, you probably keep records of your training, whether on a clipboard, in a spreadsheet, or
      scribbled into your daily planner. There are a number of software applications on the market that provide logging
      capabilities, but how do you decide which one is right for you?
      This paper describes 10 factors to consider when purchasing software for fitness or athletic training. While most of
      these considerations could apply to any type of software, the examples and reasoning are specific to active people
      involved with fitness activities.
      Here are our top 10 considerations, with the top 5 being the most critical:
      User-friendliness - Lets face it, this pretty much trumps all other factors, as well it should. No matter how
      technologically advanced, slick-sounding, or powerful a piece of software is, if it's not easy to use, you probably
      won't use it. In fact, the chief reason to buy software is to improve your life in some way, and probably the last thing
      you want to do is spend your time figuring out how it's supposed to work.
      User-friendly software facilitates the initiation, process, and completion of your work, with a minimum of confusion, in
      a way that flows. Invariably, the screens have a nice design and are not too "busy" with input boxes, buttons, images,
      and text. They clearly communicate their function and whether or not any input is required from you. Useful feedback
      will guide you through the screens, without irritation, distraction, or redundancy.
      More...from Triathlete.com at:
      http://www.triathlete.com/art.asp?3=434

      2. Sudden deaths of older athletes may be tied to exercise:
      By all accounts, Brian Maxwell was one of the last people anybody might predict would end up among the 1,000 people in
      the United States who succumb every day to sudden cardiac death.
      Maxwell, one of UC Berkeley's most prominent alumni, was a track star and coach at Cal in the 1970s, a world-ranked
      marathon runner who remained devoted to exercise and good health throughout his high-powered adult life.
      He and his nutritionist wife, Jennifer, founded the PowerBar sport-snack franchise in their kitchen, eventually selling
      the business to the Nestle conglomerate for a reported $375 million.
      Only 51, he collapsed and died of an apparent heart attack on March 19 in San Anselmo. He lived nearby in Ross with his
      wife and their six children.
      Now, as UC Berkeley prepares for a public memorial Friday at noon, Maxwell's death is being portrayed as particularly
      shocking evidence that even the healthiest people are not immune to undetected heart problems.
      "Unfortunately, it can happen to anybody," said Dr. Peter Dietrich, medical director of university health services at UC
      Berkeley. "As much as we know about heart disease and all the excellent research that's been done, there's still a lot
      left to be learned. This is one of those cases that reminds us all of that."
      The statistical death rate among marathon runners has been estimated around 1 in 50,000. About half a million people run
      marathons each year in the United States.
      More...from SFGate at:
      http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/03/28/MNG1A5SKTC1.DTL&type=science

      3. Reaching The Limits Of Exercise:
      When your mind and body tell you, “I can’t take another step or complete another rep,” do you listen to your body or
      push beyond it, thinking, no pain, no gain? There is no right answer, but learning why you feel you’ve reached your
      limit will help move you to a higher fitness level.
      Improving Oxygen Delivery
      Cells break down sugars and fats to create energy, and they do that most efficiently when oxygen is present. This is
      called aerobic metabolism, a process that goes on perpetually throughout our bodies. Without oxygen, cells can still
      burn calories for energy — called anaerobic metabolism. But parts of the body can only function for short bursts of time
      under anaerobic conditions before energy production declines.
      Oxygen delivery has long been considered the most important factor that limits exercise.
      Oxygen in the air must make its way to individual muscle cells. After the lungs deliver the oxygen to the blood, the
      heart and the arteries move the oxygen-rich blood to the contracting muscles. The lungs, heart, and arteries have
      maximal capacities. Once the maximal capacity of any one of these three components is reached, the muscles won’t get any
      incremental increase in oxygen no matter how much they crave it. To keep the muscles contracting, the cells switch to
      anaerobic metabolism. In this state, the cells produce lactic acid, which causes muscle pain and fatigue.
      More...from InteliHealth at:
      http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/35320/35322/376580.html?d=dmtHMSContent&k=wellx7165x35322

      4. Is 30 minutes enough for a workout? Sorting hype from fact:
      The 30-minute workout -- the buzz phrase in fitness centers in recent years -- shows no signs of abating.
      Large fitness chains and small health clubs alike have been experimenting with the concept of a shorter workout.
      There are two schools of practice on the 30-minute workout. Clubs such as Curves, Contours Express and Liberty Fitness
      for women and Cuts Fitness for Men specialize just in the 30-minute workout. They usually provide eight to 11 hydraulic
      exercise machines, and some clubs incorporate bouts of cardiovascular activity between stations.
      In essence, they have retooled the circuit-training concept from the '80s and '90s.
      Larger health-club chains such as 24-Hour Fitness and Bally Total Fitness include 30-minute workouts as part of their
      many offerings. Their half-hour classes focus on one aspect of fitness, such as strength or cardiovascular activity or
      flexibility.
      In these clubs, you might take a 30-minute high-impact class, followed by a 30-minute yoga class or a 30-minute
      circuit-training session on the weight floor.
      These options are undoubtedly an attractive way to entice a person who's short on time or wants a well-rounded workout
      without spending two hours on it.
      More...from Active.com at:
      http://active.com/story.cfm?story_id=10501&sidebar=575&category=keep_fit

      5. 10 Things to Make Training More Effective:
      By Coach Mark
      A little while back I presented a seminar at an "Ironvigins" meeting. The last question I was asked was, "What's the
      most important piece of advice you would give someone doing Ironman for the first time?" A very good question and one
      which took me about a nanosecond to come up with an answer. In my opinion there are two pieces of advice which everyone
      should take on board. Firstly, get a coach, and secondly get your bike set up correctly for Ironman.
      In this article I will elaborate on the previous mentioned advice as well as offer you a bonus eight more!
      1) Get a coach - find a coach and a program that you believe in.
      After a six year break from Ironman, including a couple of years overseas doing precious little, I decided to get a
      coach and stick to a programme written by someone other than myself for probably the first time ever at the end of 2002.
      I felt this would take the pressure off myself to get me back in shape. I also felt I needed new ideas. I literally
      bumped into Brendon Downey at a sports expo and my coach finding problem was solved. Why did I choose him? Firstly,
      because I knew him and I like and respect the guy (we went to Otago University together). Secondly, he is educated (he
      has a degree in Physiology and has other qualifications to boot ). Thirdly, he has been there and done it (sub 9 hour
      Ironman when he was 23 years old), and finally, he has years (at least 12) of coaching experience and was/is currently
      involved in coaching and is up to the play with the latest coaching methods and research.
      So there we have the four qualities I would look for in a coach. Once you have a coach in mind sit down and hear what
      their coaching philosophy is. Are they a `smash yourself silly until you break through the barrier' type of coach or are
      they a calculating type of coach who finds the best/easiest method to get the results? I know which type of coach and
      which type of approach I prefer, and for that matter which one hurts less!
      More...from Endurance Coach at:
      http://www.endurancecoach.com/Effective_Training.htm

      6. Athletes and Depression:
      An athlete's guide to depression
      by Andrew A. Nierenberg, MD and Michael Ostacher, MD, MPH
      "I'm all alone."
      Written on a note found at Marco Pantani's bedside at the time of his death
      Depression defined
      An episode of major depressive disorder is defined by having a minimum of two weeks of either decreased mood (blue, down
      in the dumps, sad) or substantially decreased interests or pleasure (no longer wanting to pursue hobbies or pleasurable
      activities; diminished pleasure when those activities are attempted). In addition to these symptoms, people will
      experience changes in their sleep (either decreased or increased in duration; commonly, early morning awakening occurs
      and people are unable to return to sleep), feelings of guilt and self-blame, decreased energy, decreased concentration
      (unable to read or follow conversations), change in appetite (either increased or decreased with associated changes in
      weight), changes in speed of thought or movement (either increased with restlessness or decreased with actually thinking
      and moving more slowly), and thoughts of death or suicide. At least five symptoms are required to have the diagnosis of
      major depression.
      More...from Transition Times at:
      http://www.transitiontimes.com/viewstorylocal.cfm?ID=4256&ett2local=Wisconsin

      7. Everything you wanted to know about "dietary supplements":
      The Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act, defines dietary supplements as a product (other than tobacco) intended
      to supplement the diet that bears or contains one or more of the following dietary ingredients: a vitamin, mineral,
      amino acid, herb or other botanical dietary substance for use to supplement the diet by increasing the total dietary
      intake; a concentrate, metabolite, constituent, extract, or combination of any ingredient described above and intended
      for ingestion in the form of a capsule, powder, soft gel, or gelcap, and not represented as a conventional food or as a
      sole item of a meal or the diet (NIH, Office of Dietary Supplements).
      A dietary supplement is also defined as a product which has the following properties (Burke and Read, 1993): Contains
      nutrients in amounts similar to the level specified by the recommended dietary allowances to intakes (RDA/RDIs) and
      similar to amounts found in food. Provides a convenient or practical means of ingesting nutrients especially in a sports
      setting. Allows or aids in achievement of known physiologic or nutritional requirements of an athlete. Contains
      nutrients in large amounts for use in reversing a known nutritional deficiency. The efficacy of using the supplements
      correctly has been acknowledged by exercise physiologists and sports nutrition experts.
      More...from Drug Free Sport at:
      http://www.drugfreesport.com/choices/supplements/nut-gen.html

      8. Changing Your Drinking Habits Changes Your Health:
      If you have kept up a healthy habit of having a glass of wine a day, stick with it: either stopping or upping your daily
      alcohol intake has adverse health effects, new research indicates.
      There's plenty of evidence that drinking small amounts of alcohol may protect your heart, while drinking too much is
      linked to higher risk of health problems, including cancer.
      Now, Danish investigators have found that people who switched their drinking habits experienced a corresponding change
      in their health.
      For instance, former teetotalers who switched to a daily habit of light drinking experienced a decrease in their risk of
      dying of heart disease, while light drinkers who decided to abandon the practice experienced a slight increase in the
      risk of heart troubles.
      Moreover, people who upped their regular intake of alcohol tended to show a higher risk of dying from cancer than people
      whose former habits remained unchanged.
      More...from Reuters at:
      http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=healthNews&storyID=4675179§ion=news

      9. Pittsburgh man completes second jaunt across Alaska:
      Having now crossed 1,100 miles of Alaskan wilderness on foot twice, Tim Hewitt is either a living testament to tenacity
      or just plain crazy.
      "Maybe I'm a little of both," Hewitt said Wednesday from Anchorage International Airport, where he was searching for a
      flight home. "Most people have more sense, I guess."
      At 12:10 p.m. Tuesday, his triumphant entry into Nome marked the 49-year-old Greensburg man as the first and only
      contestant in this year's Iditarod Trail Invitational to complete the entire course from Anchorage.
      Posting his official time at 22 days, 22 hours and 10 minutes, race officials extended "congratulations to Tim from all
      of us."
      More...from Pittsburgh Live at:
      http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/westmoreland/s_186198.html

      10. Speeding up at 92:
      Fauja Singh ran his first marathon at 89. He's getting faster.
      IN THE QUEST to find a male Paula Radcliffe, Britain need look no farther than Essex. Fauja Singh, from Ilford, is a
      marathon runner who is setting world records here, there and everywhere. Now he has signed a deal with adidas to
      co-front a major advertising campaign that also features David Beckham, Jonny Wilkinson and Laila Ali, the daughter of
      Muhammad Ali. From this week, Singh’s face will adorn billboards in cities across the UK as part of the campaign called
      Impossible is Nothing. Appropriate, really, when you think that he is 92.
      In athletic terms, Singh admits he is a “late developer”. For the first 81 years of his life he lived on the family farm
      in India, jogging regularly “to get from one place to the next”.
      Before the Second World War he took part in village sports competitions in which he recalls being faster than many of
      his neighbours. But at 36, family commitments took over — he now has four children, 13 grandchildren and five
      great-grandchildren — and his running came to a halt. Only after his wife’s death, when he moved to England to live with
      his son 11 years ago, did it re-enter his life.
      More...from the Times at:
      http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8127-1048364,00.html

      11. Sane Weight Loss in a Carb-Obsessed World: High Fiber and Low Fat:
      Name this product. The ingredients label says it contains the following: "Water, ultrafiltered fat-free milk, calcium
      caseinate, cream, buttermilk, tricalcium phosphate, salt, disodium phosphate, mono- and di-glycerides, carrageenan,
      locust bean gum, natural flavor, sucralose (Splenda), acesulfame potassium, vitamin A palmitate and vitamin D3."
      No, it's not some weird dessert. It is Hood's Carb Countdown Dairy Beverage, a low-carb substitute for real skim milk
      that claims to provide "75 percent less carbs and 50 percent more protein than whole milk." A half-gallon of the Hood's
      beverage sells for $3.99, compared with $1.48 for the same amount of real, unadulterated fat-free milk.
      This costly milk replacement is one of scores of products to reach the market in recent months, as manufacturers try to
      cash in on the mania for low-carb diets with products intended mainly for those who find the dietary restrictions of
      Atkins and his ilk too stringent to maintain.
      My local bagel store, for example, sells what is purported to be a low-carb bagel — six ounces (about 540 calories) of
      what is basically white wheat dough for twice the price of an ordinary bagel. Is it really low-carb? Without a
      laboratory analysis, it is hard to tell. The list of ingredients were no help, nor was sampling the product.
      Is Low-Carb Necessary?
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/23/health/nutrition/23BROD.html

      12. Deena Drossin:
      One of America's most promising distance runners.
      new star in the world of distance running, Deena Drossin has been setting new records on both sides of the Atlantic.
      She recently broke the U.S. record for the marathon with a time of 2:21:16 during her run in the April 2003 London
      marathon after taking the silver medal at the recent World Cross Country Championships in Switzerland. Additionally, she
      broke the world record in winning the 2002 Carlsbad 5,000 and followed up by setting a new American record for 10,000
      meters on the track at the Stanford Invitational of that same year. Deena is a six time US Cross Country Champion and is
      a member of Team USA and coached by renowned Coach Joe Vigil.
      A national contender as a high school student, Drossin won two California state titles in track and three in cross
      country while making the finals of the Kinney (now FootLocker) National Cross Country Championships four times. She
      earned her degree in English/creative writing and journalism at the University of Arkansas during an undergrad running
      career that saw her win seven Southeastern Conference titles. Deena, who says that cross country is her true passion,
      was a four-time Kinney XC finalist as a prep athlete and was inducted into University of Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame in
      2001.
      More...from Marathon First Timers at:
      http://www.marathonfirsttimers.com/deena_drossin.html

      13. Dip Into Honey Pot for Good Health:
      Adding a little honey to your diet may do more than satisfy your sweet tooth. Honey may also boost levels of healthy
      antioxidants, new research suggests.
      For centuries, honey has been known to have some beneficial effects, according to University of California-Davis
      researcher Dr. Heidrun B. Gross. In an interview with Reuters Health, Gross recalled her grandmother's advice to eat
      honey when she felt under the weather.
      Now, Gross and her colleagues have provided scientific evidence to support what her grandmother knew all along.
      "Honey is not just a sweetener," Gross said. It also has compounds called phenolics that have antioxidant properties,
      she explained. These substances quench free radicals, which are unstable byproducts of normal metabolism that cause
      damage to arteries, and to DNA that can lead to cancer and other diseases.
      It is easy enough to take vitamin supplements that contain antioxidants, but Gross said she prefers "to look for foods,
      rather than compounds, that are already part of our diet."
      More...from Reuters at:
      http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=healthNews&storyID=4690251§ion=news

      14. Most Asthmatic Kids Not Prepared for Sports:
      Only a small minority of kids with asthma who participate in sporting events come armed with the medication that
      prevents and treats an asthma attack, new research suggests.
      Despite the well-known fact that exercise can trigger an attack in asthmatics, only 22 percent of children playing
      baseball or soccer carried so-called rescue medicine, which opens their airways during an asthma attack, U.S.
      investigators found.
      Leaving this medicine at home can have a significant impact on kids' ability to play sports, "without a doubt," Dr. Jack
      Becker of St. Christopher's Hospital for Children in Philadelphia told Reuters Health.
      Children with uncontrolled asthma may be slowed down during sport by persistent coughs, tightness in their chest or
      trouble breathing, Becker noted. And in severe cases, asthma attacks can kill, he added.
      More...from Reuters at:
      http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=healthNews&storyID=4690932

      15. Inside the stressed-out:
      Life's daily pressures can take a toll on the body, raising the risk of illness. A greater understanding of the effects
      could lead to more solutions.
      As a high-level executive for a large computer manufacturer, Dan Bishop was a self-described workaholic who thought he
      was ably juggling daily demands and corporate pressures. Then he woke up one night with tightness in his chest, barely
      able to breathe. At first he suspected a heart attack. The tightness quickly passed, but he was frightened enough to see
      his doctor.
      The doctor diagnosed an anxiety attack — caused by stress — and told him to "stop being so driven."
      "I didn't know what stress was; I didn't think I had stress," said Bishop, now 52, referring to the 1990 diagnosis.
      As Bishop found, stress can be insidious.
      The pressures of daily life — jobs, relationships, money, raising children and now, war and terrorism — have become such
      constant companions that many of us operate with ever-present feelings of pressure, anxiety or burnout.
      The stress can become so unflagging that many people have accepted it as a standard part of life. Although we may try to
      ignore its presence, stress doesn't go away. It just goes to work inside the body.
      More...from the LA Times at:
      http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-stress29mar29,1,1950200.story?coll=la-headlines-health

      16. Entrepreneurs shape up as fitness start-ups thrive:
      BRITAIN is no longer a nation of shopkeepers, but of personal trainers and cycling instructors. A study has found that
      would-be entrepreneurs are cashing in on the keep-fit craze and setting up sports and leisure businesses at a faster
      rate than ever before.
      They helped to push the number of start-up companies last year to the highest level since 1988. The number of keep-fit,
      cycling, personal training and health clubs that were created jumped by nearly 50 per cent to 66,300 from the previous
      year.
      The rise in the leisure sector was higher than in any other industry and helped to boost the overall number of start-ups
      to 465,000, a 20 per cent increase on 2002.
      A spokesman for Barclays, which conducted the study, said that opportunities in the sector had been identified mainly by
      people who had been made redundant and women seeking a return to work after having children.
      More...from the Times Online at:
      http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8127-1057941,00.html

      17. How To Run and Enjoy the Marathon - (A Practical Guide To The 26.2-Mile Journey) By James Raia
      Chapter 7. Need Motivation? Take a break.
      It's not uncommon for an athlete to achieve a goal and then have difficulty staying motivated. The predicament is one
      variety of athlete burnout, and it doesn't discriminate whether you thrive on walking, swimming, cycling or running
      marathons.
      Athlete burnout can also occur as a result of stale training habits, overracing and overtraining as well as a mental
      letdown. And it doesn't matter if you're an elite athlete or a weekend warrior.
      "Don't race too frequently," Bakoulis writes in her abovementioned book. "Just like running too much mileage or doing
      too many speed workouts, overracing can lead to excessive fatigue, burnout, and it may contribute to injury.
      "A good test of whether you race too frequently is your mindset as you approach a race. You should have a feeling of
      eager anticipation and excitement. If you approach a race with a sense of listlessness or boredom - or worse, dread -
      you have probably been overracing."
      More...from the Runner's Web at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news/rw_news_20040402_Raia_Marathon7.html

      18. From Runner's World:
      *Keep Your Head Up: Many racers run with their heads down and eyes focused just a few feet ahead. This is especially
      true near the end of a race, when neck and shoulder muscles fatigue and it seems easier to rest your chin on your chest.
      But for optimal performance, you need to run with your head up and eyes forward. This way, you can see what's going on
      ahead of you. You can breathe easier, too, as your lungs will be able to fully expand. And tactically, you'll be able to
      keep contact with other runners and close gaps when necessary.
      -Ed Eyestone, two-time Olympic marathoner

      *Add backward running as part of your cool-down. Easing into a gentle backward run lets you gradually decrease your
      heart rate, and it stretches your calf, quadriceps, and hamstring muscles that have been working hard during forward
      running. This will decrease muscle soreness in those areas. Plus it adds a playful element to your running, and will
      improve your balance and coordination.

      *Surround yourself with good food that inspires you to cook. Take advantage of farm markets, and cruise your grocery
      store aisles for new offerings. Invite friends over and try out a new recipe, or organize a potluck supper. Always keep
      salad greens on hand.

      *Go Longer: "Just as fast running makes your standard pace easier, long runs make your regular distance seem
      shorter--thus easier. By pushing the pace on some days, and lengthening the distance on others, you'll be able to cruise
      in the effortless zone on the rest of your runs."
      -Tish Hamilton, RW deputy editor

      19. Stretching Scientifically:
      The latest scientific studies and research findings!
      Without a doubt, the most common questions I'm asked is; "What's your view on the latest scientific studies and research
      findings in regards to stretching?"
      The short answer is; "They all make for interesting reading, but I don't put a huge amount of confidence in them." Let
      me explain why.
      Most of the studies I've reviewed attempt to determine the effects of stretching on injury prevention. This is a mistake
      in itself, and shows a lack of understanding as to how stretching is used as part of an injury prevention program.
      Stretching, by itself, will not prevent injury. In fact, stretching can cause injury if certain precautions aren't
      taken.
      Plus, it's not just a flexibility problem that can lead to injury. It could be a strength imbalance. It could be a
      stability or balance problem. It could be a proprioceptive imbalance. It could have to do with postural imbalances. It
      could have to do with physical imbalances like leg length differences. Or, it could simply be a matter of trying to do
      too much, too soon.
      Stretching is just one very important component that assists in reducing the risk of injury. The best results are
      achieved when stretching is used in combination with other injury reduction techniques.
      More...from the Stretching Handbook at:
      http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/stretching-scientifically.htm

      20. Can Poor Sleep Affect Your Weight?
      Too tired to exercise? Craving carbs? You may want to sleep on it. Listen to what experts have to say about the link
      between sleep problems and your weight.
      WEBCAST TRANSCRIPT
      ANNOUNCER: Are you avoiding the bathroom scale? Is it a struggle to pull on last year's clothes? If the answer is "yes,"
      you probably need to take off some extra pounds. But what you might not know is that a little extra sleep could be the
      answer.
      WOMAN: I don't know that there's a relationship between how much you weigh and how much you sleep.
      MAN: How much I sleep and how much I weigh? That's got me. I am kind of confused with that one there. That's a good
      question, though.
      ANNOUNCER: Studies show that people who sleep too little are actually more likely to raid the refrigerator.
      ORFEU BUXTON, PhD: It seems as if the body responds to sleep restriction by craving more fuel, a reduced energy balance,
      and this is communicated by the fat cells, actually. Leptin is a molecule secreted by fat cells and conveys a satiety
      signal. "There's enough fuel on board." And with sleep restriction, keeping the level of activity and the amount of
      calories constant, the body says, "I need more food." And this is inappropriate and may lead to overeating and
      potentially obesity in the long term.
      More...from Healthology at:
      http://www.healthology.com/webcast_transcript.asp?f=sleep_disorders&c=sleep_weight&spg=NWL&b=HEALTHOLOGY

      21. Stabilization by Maylene Wise:
      Editor's note: Maylene Wise is a strength and conditioning coach in Raleigh, North Carolina. She can be found at
      atp4athletes.com. She is a triathlete herself, and can be contacted at maylene@....
      I received many responses from my article last month asking for additional advice. Since most of the questions asked
      were common I decided to post them here. Keep them coming!
      Q: What exercises do you recommend for triathletes?
      For Stabilization, or Anatomical Adaptation, I normally prescribe the following exercises:
      • Squat
      • Press (such as a push up)
      • Pull (such as a pull up) (12 reps each, 2 sets)
      • Walking Lunge
      • Swimmer’s cable
      • Swimmer’s reverse cable (12 reps each, 2 sets)
      Those are for the prime movers, all are functional and closed-chain where possible. Then I move on to the supplemental
      core stabilization which is always at the end of a workout. You do not want to fatigue the muscles that will help
      stabilize you during the exercises for the prime movers. Remember that ALL your exercises can be core strengtheners, all
      the ones listed above are, these are just extra.
      More...from SlowTwitch.com at:
      http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/coachcorn/strength2.html

      22. Brian Maxwell, 1953-2004:
      RUNNING COMMENTARY 512
      After hearing the news about Brian Maxwell, I planned to run one of my miles that day in his memory. So hauntingly sad
      was this news that he ran with me almost every mile for the next week.
      News reports of his death (from an apparent heart attack) at age 51 led off with his business credits. He founded the
      PowerBar company, nurtured its amazing growth and sold it a few years ago to Nestle for $375 million.
      I don't pretend to have been Brian Maxwell's good friend. We met only in the way that I got to know many other "names"
      of running in the 1970s. By mail.
      Brian had come to the Bay Area from Canada to run for the University of California in Berkeley. He made little news as a
      collegian because the racing distances were too short.
      Then he graduated into the marathon and found his running success there. Sub-2:15 runners like him were rare then.
      Rarer still were runners of that level who could write well about the experience. Or would do it for the small fees that
      Runner's World paid at the time I still edited the magazine.
      Brian sent me one of his stories, and RW published it. Others followed, and two of them live on in the book The Complete
      Marathoner.
      Brian had many talents. He could have become a fulltime writer. Instead he stayed focused on his running while eking out
      a living as an assistant coach at Cal/Berkeley.
      His running peaked in 1977, when he PRed in the 2:14s. Three years later he made the Canadian Olympic
      team-that-went-nowhere.
      By then he had slipped into a pattern of hitting walls late in his races. Looking for a nutritional solution, his
      experiments led to what would become PowerBar.
      I didn't become a fan right away. The original beige bar had the consistency of a compound you'd use to patch leaky
      pipes.
      More...from Joe Henderson at:
      http://www.joehenderson.com/archive/427.html

      23. The Importance of Hip Stability
      The relationship between running injuries and biomechanics is only beginning to be investigated. Another example, in
      addition to the previous one, can serve as a provocative thought for athletes and coaches, as well as researchers. We
      are seeing increasing numbers of what are initially referred to as 'hip problems" among those attempting to move to a
      higher level by increasing the volume of their training load, especially elite female runners. For some it is muscle
      pain in piriformus, or gluteals. For others it is lumbosacral or lower lumbar joint pain or nerve irritation, especially
      the sciatic nerve. Worse, symptoms could include several or all of these. Depending on whom they see for medical advice
      (orthopedist, podiatrist, chiropractor, physical therapist, massage therapist), runners get different opinions because
      of the various specialties' approach in diagnosis. As their discomfort over time may change (often because postural or
      stride compensation results in accompanying fatigue or irritation in other muscles or connective tissues), their
      description of symptoms, as well as suggested diagnoses from various experts, may also change.
      More...from Fleet Feet Louisville at:
      http://www.fleetfeetlouisville.com/hipstability.html

      24. Strength and Power Training for Endurance Athletes:
      It is a common belief that endurance athletes don't require strength training in order to perform well. Although this
      may be the case for many talented individuals, the truth is that appropriate strength training can help improve every
      endurance athlete's performance.
      One recent study, which is soon to be published in the US, concluded that 10-km running performance could be predicted
      from a combination of 300m time trial performance and plyometric leap distance; both of which have explosive power as a
      determining aspect. Another study done by highly regarded researchers in Finland several years ago showed that 5-km run
      time could be significantly improved by supplementing run training with explosive power and speed sessions.
      The benefits of strength training for some endurance sports such as cycling and swimming have long been evident, and
      these single sport athletes now carry out regular strength training programs.
      More...from VAAM-POWER.com at:
      http://www.vaam-power.com/strength_training.html

      25. News Scan:
      Dr. Gabe Mirkin's E-Zine
      *Sit-ups To Make Your Belly Stronger
      Sit-ups can strengthen your belly muscles, but doing them incorrectly can hurt your back. Sit-ups should be done while
      you lie on your back with your knees bent enough for the soles of your feet to touch the floor. Place both hands on your
      chest and slowly raise your head off the ground. Then, slowly raise your shoulders around one foot and then lower them
      to the ground. Do this slowly ten times, rest a few seconds and then do two more sets of ten. After a week or two, this
      exercise will feel easy, so do it with a light weight, wrapped in a towel, held behind
      your neck or on your chest. As you become stronger, you can use heavier weights.
      There's no need to do more than 30 sit-ups in one workout. To strengthen your belly muscles, you increase the
      resistance, not the number of repetitions. Keep your knees bent to protect your back. If you do a sit-up with your legs
      straight, you place a great force on the iliopsoas muscles that increase the arch in your back, which can damage the
      ligaments and joints. If your belly muscles are weak, you are likely to arch your back excessively when you sit up and
      increase the chances of injury. If you are doing sit-ups to flatten your stomach, you need to raise
      your head only about one foot because going higher than that uses the quadriceps muscles in the front of your upper
      legs, not your belly muscles.

      *Dear Dr. Mirkin: Is there any way to prevent painful leg cramps in the middle of the night?
      Cramping during sleep is usually due to an exaggeration of a normal muscle reflex. When you turn during sleep, you
      contract your calf muscles and stretch their tendons. This stimulates nerve stretch receptors in the tendon and sends a
      message back to the spinal cord, telling the calf muscles to contract. Sometimes, the muscles remain contracted and
      hurt. Painful muscle cramps at night can also be caused by nerve
      damage such as that caused by pinching a nerve, muscle damage, a partially-obstructed flow of blood to the legs or
      abnormal mineral or hormone levels. If you have this problem often, check with your doctor. If you do not have a
      serious cause, you can often prevent night cramps by exhausting the stretch reflex before you go to bed by stretching
      your calf muscles with wall pushups, and applying a heating pad for 10 minutes before you go to sleep. The most common
      cause of leg cramps in exercisers is lack of salt.
      The Food and Drug Administration has ruled that none of the over-the-counter drugs used to treat night-time leg cramps
      are recognized as safe or effective. The only drug that has been shown to be effective in treating night-time leg cramps
      is quinine. Doctors often prescribe 1 or 2 quinine pills at bedtime, but they can cause birth defects and miscarriages,
      so they should never be taken by a woman who may become pregnant. They can also cause ringing in the ears, headache,
      nausea, disturbed vision, chest pain and asthma.
      From: http://www.drmirkin.com .

      All of them oddballs - Angus Calder sees the diversity of life:
      Emil Zapotek, the great distance runner, was an apprentice in a Bata shoe factory in Czechoslovakia in the 1940s when
      someone suggested he enter a race. He did well, though he ran without training, in "lumpen country style, body leaning
      forward, shoulders heaving, head rolling." He maintained this unique style even as he became the most famous Czech in
      the world, an Olympic champion in the marathon and the 10,000 and 5,000 metres.
      As Angus Calder tells the story in his marvellously surprising book Gods, Mongrels, and Demons: 101 Brief but Essential
      Lives (Bloomsbury), Zapotek sounds both eccentric and lovable. He had an odd habit of chatting with fellow runners
      during races, sometimes urging them on. He gave one of his own Olympic gold medals to a competitor from Australia who
      had broken world records but never won a championship. Zapotek loved training. He could happily jog on the spot for
      hours, reading a book, and when his wife had her leg in a cast he ran with her on his back. She was a javelin thrower,
      and they invented an original if rather high-risk game: They would hurl a javelin at each other, the point being to
      catch it as it soared overhead and return it quickly.
      In Calder's encyclopedia of human oddballs, Zapotek takes his place alongside Babe Ruth and Billy the Kid, Joan of Arc
      and Queen Victoria. Matsuo Basho, the haiku king, appears in this select company, and so does Tricky Sam Nanton, the
      great Ellington trombonist. Calder borrows the tradition of Plutarch's Lives and John Aubrey's Brief Lives but makes his
      own points. If Aubrey's theme was half-remembered scandal and Plutarch's was "signs of the soul in men," Calder's is the
      wild diversity of life.

      This Weeks Events:
      *Please verify event dates with the event websites*

      Coming Up:

      April 3, 2004:

      Cooper River Bridge Run - Charleston, SC
      http://www.bridgerun.com/

      Great BUPA Ireland Run - Dublin, Ireland
      http://www.greatrun.org/events/event.asp?id=6

      Kick-Off to Spring 5K - Ottawa, ON
      http://www.ottawalions.com/events/030304-kickofftospring5k.htm

      Ralph's Half-Ironman Triathlon - Oceanside, CA
      http://www.ironmancalifornia.com/

      Spring Run-Off 8K & Easter Seals 5K Fun Run - Toronto, ON
      http://www.canadarunningseries.com/springrunoff/index.htm

      U.S. Olympic Team Trials: Women's Marathon - St. Louis, MO
      http://www.stlouismarathon.com/stl_marathon/
      USATF Site
      http://www.usatf.org/events/2004/OlympicTrials.asp
      Runner's World
      http://www.runnersworld.com/events/roadtoathens/wtrials/home.html
      Running Times
      http://www.runnersworld.com/events/roadtoathens/wtrials/home.html

      Television - CBC 2 - 3 PM EST
      World Cross-Country World Championships

      April 3-4, 2004:
      Asian Regional Triathlon Championships - Subic Bay, Philippines
      http://www.triathlon.org/regional/reg-2004/events/asia/subic-bay/index.htm

      April 4, 2004:

      American 100K Championship - Eagle, WI
      http://www.americanultra.org/

      Athens Marathon - Athens, OH
      http://www.athensmarathon.org/

      Australia Ironman Triathlon - Forster-Tuncurry, New South Wales, AUS
      http://www.ironmanoz.com/

      Paris Marathon - Paris, France
      http://www.parismarathon.com/

      Spirit of St. Louis Marathon - St. Louis, MO
      http://www.stlouismarathon.com/stl%5Fmarathon/

      Zurich Marathon - Switzerland
      http://www.zurichmarathon.ch/

      For more complete race listings check out our Upcoming Races Check the Runner's Web on Sunday and Monday for race
      reports on these
      events.

      This Weeks Personal Postings/Releases:

      We have NO personal postings this week.

      Television and Online Coverage:
      [Check local listings as event times are subject to change]

      Check out our new Runner's Web Television Links page at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/rw_television.html

      Your Feedback and Comments:
      Comments, contributions and feedback are always welcome via this list at: mailto:runnersweb@yahoogroups.com and in our
      Runner's Web Forum, available off our FrontPage. If you post to the mailing list and get your email returned, please
      contact the Runner's Web at
      mailto:webmaster@... to notify us of the problem. To update your Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile,

      Runner's Web
      webmaster@... <mailto:webmaster@...>