Runner's Web Digest - March 3, 2004 (Mini Edition)

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2 6:20 PM
      Runner's Web Digest - March 3, 2004 (Mini Edition)

      Brought to you by Road Runner Sports, the world's largest running store at:
      <http://www.roadrunnersports.com/cgi-bin/rrs/rrs/rrHome.jsp?sc=CBM-00105&prfc=1>
      Is your favourite running shoe being discontinued? Check RRS to find out.

      The Runner's Web Digest is a weekly e-zine dealing with the sports of
      running and triathlon and general fitness and health issues.
      The opinions expressed in the articles referenced by the Digest are the
      opinions of the writers and not the Runner's Web

      Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html The site is
      updated multiple times daily. Check out our daily news
      features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more. General questions should
      be posted to one of our forums available from our FrontPage.

      For new subscribers:
      If you have any questions regarding the options available for receiving this
      digest, please do NOT email the list, rather email me directly at
      mailto:Webmaster@...

      This newsletter has been composed using Outlook set to text format. The
      Runner's Web Digest is a weekly digest of information on running, triathlons
      and multisport activities. It is sent via an email list at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/ which allows all users to communicate with everyone
      on the list.

      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for
      viruses. Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor (me) prior to
      being released to the group.

      NOTE********************************************************************
      [ Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two
      lines. If you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you
      paste the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or
      another appropriate suffix ]

      References/URLs:
      Most references in the digest which do not have a specific URL listed here
      are available from the Runner's Web FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html
      Also, if have email software that does not read HTML, all links contained in
      the Digest are available from the Runner's Web Site or
      from me.
      All URLs listed here have been verified as of the Digest publication date.
      It is possible that the site may have archived or deleted the
      page after publication.
      If you are unable to reach a URL listed here, ensure that you are using the
      entire URL (see above).
      If you still cannot reach the site, please email me at
      mailto:webmaster@... and I will try to track it down.

      Note: Some sites require free registration.

      New This Week:
      Note: This is an interim "mini edition" of the Digest.

      Note: The Runner's Web is going scuba diving from March 3rd to 10th
      inclusive. There will be no Runner's Web Digest on Friday, March 5th,
      and the site will be not be updated during this period. Our auto-updated
      headlines will be available at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/rw_news_headlines.html

      The Runner's Web Syndicated News content is not available through Yahoo. To add this service to your "My Yahoo" page
      follow this link;
      http://e.my.yahoo.com/config/promo_content?.module=ycontent&.url=http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RW_RSSNews.xml
      [Long URL]

      We have NO personal postings this week.
      Personal Postings, when available, are located after the Upcoming Section
      towards the bottom of the newsletter.

      Digest Article Index:

      1. Home gyms on the rise
      More people purchasing own exercise equipment.
      2. Comparing Cycling With Running
      3. Fitness, rest, nutrition are best immune-system boosters
      4. Miles of Memories - Joe Henderson
      5. Set The Pace For Improvement
      6. Thinking on Your Feet
      Using the grey stuff to modify training and improve your performance
      7. Iliotibial Band Syndrome
      Prevention and Treatment of a Common Runner's Injury
      8. How To Run and Enjoy the Marathon - (A Practical Guide To The 26.2-Mile Journey) By James Raia
      Chapter 4. Marathoning For Dollars: Running is fitness on the cheap.
      9. Antioxidants: A radical departure By Jerome Burne
      Are the millions spent on antioxidants wasted, as a new study suggests?
      10. From Runner's World
      11. Elderly work up a sweat for exercise
      Regular exercise is one of the keys to healthy living, but new research suggests physical activity also may be
      significant for people to stay independent longer as they age -- at least for women.
      12. Never too late to lift
      Pumping iron can help older people avoid muscle deterioration and remain active, gerontologists say
      13. Anger, hostility linked to rhythm disorder in men:
      14. What Causes Muscle Soreness?
      15. Taking The Sneeze And Wheeze Out Of Exercise

      This week's poll is: "How should the Olympic team be selected?"

      Cast your vote at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html
      Post your views in our Forum at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/runnersweb_forum.html
      [Free Registration Required]

      The previous poll was: "When did you set your last PR (Personal Record)?"

      The results at publication time were:
      Answers Votes Percent
      1. 2003 - 2004 34 38%
      2. 2 years ago 6 7%
      3. 3 years ago 4 4%
      4. 4 years ago 1 1%
      5. 5 years ago 4 4%
      6. 10 years ago 10 11%
      7. 20+ years ago! 30 34%

      Total Votes: 89
      You can access the poll from our FrontPage as well as voting on and/or
      checking the results of previous polls.

      Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they
      subscribe at:

      If you feel you have something to say that is worthy of a Guest Column on
      the Runner's Web, email us at
      mailto:webmaster@...
      or leave your comments in one of our Forums at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/forum.html
      or from our FrontPage.

      Our Photo Slideshow is updated on a random basis. Check it out from our
      FrontPage.

      This Weeks News:

      Articles:

      1. Home gyms on the rise
      More people purchasing own exercise equipment.
      The days of long waits for sweaty machines are losing their appeal faster than a New Year's resolution. Is it any wonder
      more people are opting to work out at home?
      Many are buying their own exercise equipment, driven partly by affordable prices and the notion -- sometimes
      unrealistic -- that the sight of a new cross-trainer will get them moving.
      Americans spent about $4.3 billion on exercise equipment in 2002 -- up more than 11 percent from the previous year,
      which saw almost $3.9 billion in sales, according to the National Sporting Goods Association.
      More...from CNN at:
      http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/diet.fitness/02/27/home.gyms.ap/index.html

      2. Comparing Cycling With Running:
      Which burns more calories, running or cycling?. The standard comparison is that one mile of running equals four miles of
      cycling, but that's lousy science. Although running requires the same amount of energy per mile at any speed (110
      calories per mile), riding is affected by wind resistance so the faster you ride, the more energy you use. So you have
      to compare running and cycling at different cycling speeds.
      Dr. Edward Coyle of The University of Texas in Austin determined average values of oxygen consumption by cyclists to
      develop a table to estimate the approximate caloric equivalence between running and cycling. He found that if you ride
      20 miles at 15 mph, you burn 620 calories (20 miles X 31 calories per mile = 620 calories). Take the 620 calories and
      divide them by 110 calories per mile for running and you get 5.63 miles to burn the same number of calories. So riding a
      bicycle 20 miles at 15 miles per hour is equal to running 5.6 miles at any speed.
      Dr. Coyle made the calculations easy by providing conversion factors for different riding speeds: 10MPH=4.2, 15MPH=3.5,
      20MPH=2.9, 25MPH=2.3, and 30MPH=1.9. Divide the number of miles ridden by the conversion factor for your riding speed
      to tell you the equivalent miles of running at any speed. Thus, for 20 miles ridden at 10MPH, divide 20 miles by 4.2
      which tells you that your ride is equivalent to 4.8 miles of
      running. This formula is for an average-size adult (approximately 155 pounds). A larger cyclist would divide by a
      slightly higher number; a smaller cyclist, by a slightly lower one. Wind and hills are not accounted for in the table;
      nor is drafting (riding behind another cyclist), which can reduce your energy expenditure by up to one-third.
      From Dr. Gabe Mirkin's E-Zine

      3. Fitness, rest, nutrition are best immune-system boosters:
      You're washing your hands and covering your coughs. You've had a flu shot. You're trying to escape the cold-and-flu
      season in one piece. What more can otherwise healthy people do to avoid getting sick in a germ-filled world?
      There is no magic potion. Herbal remedies such as echinacea and ginseng may help, and zinc sometimes seems to shorten
      the duration of cold symptoms, but the jury is still out.
      "All of these various remedies you can buy, frankly, most of them are untested," said David L. Woodland, an immunologist
      at the Trudeau Institute, a nonprofit research center in Saranac Lake, N.Y.
      Woodland says the real secret to staying healthy is staying healthy.
      "The most important thing you can do is to actually stay very healthy," he said. "The immune system is directly related
      to your general state of health."
      One well-established drag on the immune system is stress. Chemicals released by the body during periods of strain
      suppress the immune system, Woodland said. This fight-or-flight response to dangerous or urgent situations was probably
      fleeting for our human ancestors, he said.
      "The problem in our modern world," he said, "is that we're under stress for long periods of time."
      More...from Active.com at:
      http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=10424&sidebar=17&category=activeusahomepage

      4. Miles of Memories:
      (This was my last column submitted to Runner's World. It went unpublished there.)
      Running starts with a mile. In the metrically challenged U.S., anyway, the mile is the key word in a runner's vocabulary
      and the basic unit of running mathematics.
      The first question you hear when telling someone that you run is likely to be, "What's your best mile time?" (Coming a
      close second is, "Have you run a marathon?")
      We Americans run our races in meters and kilometers. But we insist on taking mile splits and quoting mile paces. We
      train by mileage, not kilometer-age.
      Students in my college Running 101 classes start by learning the meaning of the mile. They run a timed mile the first
      day, not as a race but to draw their fitness baseline. Then they learn to apply the pace-per-mile standard to runs of
      multiple miles.
      Running started for me with a single mile. That one now holds my oldest memories, which I fondly relive in this Year of
      the Mile.
      In 2004 we honor Roger Bannister for the gift he gave the sport 50 years ago. I salute him for what he gave me in May
      1954 by inspiring my first timed mile.
      After hearing from my track-fan father about Bannister breaking the four-minute barrier, I set out to run half his
      speed, which put my target at EIGHT minutes. That wasn't slow for a 10-year-old with no training as a runner.
      Our little Iowa town didn't have a proper track. Our home block measured (by counting steps) about a quarter-mile, with
      an uphill and a downhill on two sides. This became my course.
      Four pals paced me, running a lap apiece. Without asking permission, I'd taken my dad's precious stopwatch for the
      timing.
      The first result: a 7:23 mile. The later result: extreme soreness from the waist down, including sharp pains in the
      lower legs that I'd later learn to call shin splints.
      More...from Joe Henderson at:
      http://www.joehenderson.com/archive/422.html

      5. Set The Pace For Improvement:
      Get faster. Run longer. Feel stronger. With this first installment in a series of articles, Nike coach and expert
      fitness advisor Jay Blahnik introduces his innovative Treadmill Training program, revealing why even the most dedicated
      roadrunners choose to take it indoors. Mother Nature dished it out harshly this winter, sending many runners inside. But
      that needn’t be a reason to grumble. The treadmill gives you the ability to structure the speed, time and terrain of
      your workouts, providing information about your fitness that’s hard to measure elsewhere.“Heart rate monitors are
      great,” says Nike fitness advisor Jay Blahnik. “but the treadmill can give you so much additional information.” Not to
      mention helping you stay on target: “If you feel lethargic one day, and go for a run on the road, chances are you’ll
      move more slowly than usual. But when you get on the treadmill and set it for your optimal speeds, the motor keeps you
      from slacking. “ In addition to having created countless workshops and trained numerous athletes, Jay teaches two
      treadmill classes each week in Southern California, where his students use his methodology to reach a variety of goals.
      “The treadmill always makes me work harder than I do outdoors,” said Liz Johnson, a commercial real estate broker who is
      a student in Jay’s class. Liz, who enjoys short races and triathlons, says she’s shaved 30 seconds per mile off of her
      race pace through treadmill training; she also ran a November race faster and more easily than ever before, following a
      month of running exclusively on the treadmill. Mark McCormick, a software sales manager, is training for his first
      Ironman—and uses the treadmill to keep himself engaged. “I think it’s ironic that long-distance runners scoff at the
      treadmill,” he said. “When you’re training for an endurance event, you also need to do speedwork. When I’m on a
      treadmill, I can measure where I am—week after week.”Jay’s approach hinges on testing and recording your own individual
      fitness levels, then using these levels as the basis for workouts designed to target specific goals. His four-pace
      system centers on intensity: in other words, what feels easy or challenging to you. By understanding—and assigning
      values to—your workout efforts, you are much more likely to challenge yourself into seeing real results. The first step,
      Jay says, is to determine your “base paces”: in other words, figure out what paces you run at—and how those paces feel.
      Once you know these paces, you can follow some great Nike Treadmill workouts; and in the coming months, we’ll bring you
      several workouts designed to target specific goals—and make your training more fun.
      More...from Nike. COM at:
      http://www.nike.com/nikerunning/usa/v3/tools_training/newsletter/pdf/article.pdf
      [PDF File]

      6. Thinking on Your Feet - Using the grey stuff to modify training and improve your performance:
      By Coach Brendon
      So you've downloaded the latest and greatest training plan or better yet got one personally designed for you and are all
      set to break your PB. Getting the most out of your body requires more than just blindly following the plan. Your have to
      think on your feet.
      I see it all the time - if it's down on paper then it must be the right thing to do. If things are going to plan then
      your training programme is likely to be close to what's required, it's just when you are either going better or worse
      than expected that things start to come unstuck.
      This is where coaching really comes into play - if you don't have a coach then its about self coaching and even if you
      have a coach they are not always going to be there with you making the decisions about what to do. You need to think on
      your feet.
      Like all coaches I rely on the athlete to provide reliable accurate information about how they feel and what they are
      capable of doing.
      More...from Endurance Coach at:
      http://www.endurancecoach.com/Thinking_on_Your_Feet.htm

      7. Iliotibial Band Syndrome:
      Prevention and Treatment of a Common Runner's Injury
      Iliotibial band (ITB) syndrome is a common overuse injury that occurs in runners and in athletes whose sports involve
      extensive running or lower extremity movement. Iliotibial band syndrome is defined as the inflammation of the ITB where
      it inserts onto the outside portion of the lower knee. The ITB is a thick band of connective tissue that originates on
      the ilium of the pelvis, runs along the outside of the thigh, and inserts onto the lateral aspect of the tibia just
      below the knee joint.
      Symptoms
      ITB pain very rarely comes from one specific injury. Instead, it is usually caused by continuous overuse. Pain usually
      occurs at the insertion of the ITB on the outside of the lower knee. This condition can be associated with hip
      bursitis--the pain is felt on the outside of the hip. This is technically known as greater trochanteric bursitis.
      Causes of Injury
      ITB Syndrome is caused by repetitive friction between the ITB and the outside joint line of the knee. This occurs during
      repeated flexion and extension of the knee during which the ITB moves back and forth across the bones of the femur and
      tibia. The following are considerations that can contribute to ITB syndrome:
      1. Thigh and Hip muscle tightness
      2. ITB tightness
      3. Inadequate warm-up and stretching
      4. Abnormal pronation of foot
      5. Genu Varum of the knees ("Bowlegs" or "Cowboy" legs)
      6. Running on uneven or banked surfaces
      More...from FleetFeetLouisville.com at:
      http://www.fleetfeetlouisville.com/iliotibialband.html

      8. How To Run and Enjoy the Marathon - Chapter IV
      (A Practical Guide To The 26.2-Mile Journey) By James Raia
      Web site: http://www.byjamesraia.com E-mail: James@...
      Runner's Web Editor's Note:
      We will be running one chapter of this book each week in the Digest for the
      next 15 weeks.
      INTRODUCTION
      How to Run & Enjoy The Marathon, a series of 15 self-help and
      service-oriented articles about running marathons - the proper shoes to
      running etiquette - is written by James Raia, a journalist and veteran
      marathon and ultramarathon runner in Sacramento, Calif.
      A contributor to many newspapers, news services, magazines and internet
      sites, Raia began to run long distances in 1983, the same year in which he
      completed his first marathon, the California International Marathon, in 4
      hours, 12 minutes and 30 seconds.
      How To Run & Enjoy The Marathon is based on the author's more than 20 years
      of writing about the sport -- its nuances, its elite athletes and the
      running masses.
      Since he began training for his first marathon, running has become an
      integral component of the author's lifestyle. Raia has completed nearly than
      70 marathons and ultramarathons, including several 50 milers and double
      marathons. His fastest marathon, 3:07:42, was run in 1990. A two-time
      finisher of the Boston Marathon, Raia for the past several years has
      completed many of his marathons in the 3:45 range.
      Raia, 48, has traveled to more than a dozen countries on assignment for
      myriad publications, Runner's World to Modern Maturity, The New York Times
      to USA Today. He also writes syndicated cycling and running columns,
      publishes two electronic newsletters, Endurance Sports News and Tour de
      France Times, and is the author of The Tour Within The Tour de France, a
      travel/sports e-book about the prestigious cycling event. He lives in
      Sacramento, Calif., with Gretchen Gaither, a teacher and sculptor.
      For additional information on his two free newsletter or his other e-book,
      visit the author's web site, http://www.byjamesraia.com or contact him via
      e-mail at RaiaRuns@....
      TABLE OF CONTENTS
      1. Marathon No. 1: It's not all about pain
      2. What Marathon? Plentiful choices abound
      3. The Basics: Common sense for the masses
      4. Marathoning For Dollars: Running is fitness on the cheap
      5. Want To Finish: Join the club
      6. Fleet Feet: If the shoe fits, wear it
      7. Need Motivation? Take a break
      8. Now Hear This: Just Say No To Headphones
      9. Night Moves: Exercisers Need A Visible Presence
      10. Women Marathoners: Running Safe Means Running Smart
      11. Running vs. Walking: Marathoners Can Do Both
      12. Runner's Creed: Share Thy Space
      13. Marathon Time Limits: The race directors' dilemma
      14. Marathon No. 1 (Revisited): Don't Forget The Little Things
      15. Reference Guide: Where to Find Out More About The Marathon

      This Issue - Chapter 4. Marathoning For Dollars: Running is fitness on the cheap.
      4. Marathoning For Dollars: Running is fitness on the cheap
      Compared to many recreational sports, skiing and cycling, for example, training for a marathon is inexpensive.
      For runners who live where severe winter conditions aren't a problem, the only equipment necessary is running attire -
      shorts, tops and a quality pair of running shoes.
      For runners who train in cold-weather environments, Polypropylene, weather-proof materials like Gortex, and a scientific
      approach to "layered" running apparel is a must, and it increases expenses. A quality Gortex outfit, for example, costs
      an estimated $200.
      Quality running shoes cost at least $75, and a pair should last for an estimated 500 miles. Marathon entry fees range
      from $25 to $100, depending upon various registration deadlines and what the event provides.
      "New marathon runners and experienced marathon runners all experience peaks and valleys in their training; it's normal,"
      explains Hanna. "But you need to stay focused and realizes that there will be bad patches. But the bad patches will go
      away."
      Most new marathoners will also experience body changes, including weight loss, increased appetite and varied sleeping
      patterns as their training increases. Muscle soreness after long runs and speed workouts is common and normal.
      In addition to training, proper diet and common sense precautions can mean the difference between having a successful
      first marathon or dismissing the sport out of frustration.
      "Don't eat anything you're not used to eating on the morning of your marathon and stay away from fatty, fried food,"
      offers Gordon Bakoulis, nationally ranked masters division marathoner and author of the book, "How to Train For And Run
      Your Best Marathon."
      Most first-time marathon runners have a good experience, according to Hanna.
      The synergy of marathon day keeps most runners progressing on adrenaline during the first 8-10 miles, he explains. By
      miles 16-18, the strenuous nature of the event begins to take its toll on the mind and body. "But by then, most new
      runners just have to stay focused," Hanna says. "You're out there sniffing for the finish. You might not feel your best,
      but you're going to make it."

      9. Antioxidants: A radical departure By Jerome Burne:
      Are the millions spent on antioxidants wasted, as a new study suggests?
      FREE RADICALS come high on everyone’s most unwanted list as far as health is concerned. Blamed for almost every chronic
      disease going — heart problems, Alzheimer’s, cancer — they damage cells via the same reaction that causes iron to rust,
      we are told. So we spend millions on antioxidants such as vitamin C and E to mop them up. But are we wasting our money?
      A highly controversial paper just published in the science journal Nature claims that free radicals have been given an
      unwarranted bad press. “Patients may be using expensive antioxidant drugs based on completely invalid theories,” says Dr
      Tony Segal, an immunologist at the Centre for Molecular Medicine at University College London. “Our research suggests
      that all theories about the role of oxygen free radicals in disease must be re-evaluated.”
      It’s an astounding claim, but what is it based on? For years experts have believed that as well as damaging tissue, free
      radicals are also vital to the immune system’s fire power. As Dr Segal explains: “The conventional theory says that when
      the body senses any kind of microbial attack the immune cells such as neutrophils release free radicals to kill off the
      invaders.” Because they are seen as being so efficient at destroying hardy bacteria, claims Segal, it is widely believed
      that free radicals can also destroy healthy tissue.
      More...from the Times at:
      http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8126-1021664,00.html

      10. From Runner's World:
      Consider the surface. Grass and dirt trails are nice, but a smooth surface is even more important. Tree roots, sidewalk
      cracks and potholes can be dangerous. Rubberized tracks--smooth and springy--are often your best bet.

      Knee Raises: Balance against a stable object or hang from a bar so your feet don't touch the ground. Slowly raise one
      knee at a time as high as you can comfortably. Repeat 10 to 20 times on each side two to three times a week. This will
      strengthen your hip flexors, improving your knee lift.

      Eat Your Spinach: Perfect for speeding muscle recovery; fighting heart disease, cancer and macular degeneration;
      improving mental function and keeping your skin wrinkle-free. It's loaded with vitamins A and C, antioxidants that fight
      free-radical damage, and rich in iron as well as potassium and calcium, two important electrolytes that keep your
      muscles working smoothly.

      11. Elderly work up a sweat for exercise:
      (CNN) -- Regular exercise is one of the keys to healthy living, but new research suggests physical activity also may be
      significant for people to stay independent longer as they age -- at least for women.
      Over a period of 14 years, researchers looked at 229 women whose ages averaged 74 at the beginning of the study,
      according to the Archives of Internal Medicine.
      The researchers found those women who were most active, in terms of sports or leisure activity, were the most likely to
      be living independently nearly a decade and a half later -- which would mean that many of the participants were in their
      mid- to late 80s by then.
      The study didn't detail the types of activities the more active women engaged in, but lead author, Jennifer Brach, noted
      that something as simple as a regular walk can be helpful.
      More...from CNN at:
      http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/02/20/hln.fit.elderly.exercise/index.html

      12. Never too late to lift:
      Pumping iron can help older people avoid muscle deterioration and remain active, gerontologists say.
      Like most older people, LaDonna Peterson hasn't heard of sarcopenia, an unhealthy loss of muscle mass that often
      develops with age. But by lifting weights a couple of days a week, the 70-year-old retired finance officer has managed
      to prevent it.
      While many of her contemporaries have trouble simply getting out of a chair because of muscle deterioration, Peterson
      enjoys doing tasks on her own — from carrying her groceries to storing her baggage in the overhead compartment on an
      airplane.
      "I often see younger women struggling with their luggage," said the Mount Washington resident, who took up a strength
      and cardiovascular conditioning program five years ago after being diagnosed with a heart condition. "I usually end up
      helping them."
      Older people and weightlifting are not two things normally linked, but it's time they should be, gerontologists say.
      Loss of muscle mass, especially in those 65 and older, can rob people of their mobility, their balance and ultimately
      their independence. Experts estimate that more than 17% of people will suffer from the condition by age 75.
      More...from the LA Times at:
      http://www.latimes.com/features/health/fitness/la-he-lift1mar01,1,6441258.story?coll=la-health-fitness-news

      13. Anger, hostility linked to rhythm disorder in men:
      Mar 02 (Reuters Health) - Getting mad does not literally make the blood ''boil,'' but new research shows that anger and
      hostility may increase the risk of a heart-rhythm disorder that has been linked with stroke.
      The findings suggest that anger management could be a promising way to reduce the risk of the rhythm disorder, known as
      atrial fibrillation, according to the study's lead author.
      "This is the first time a population-based scientific study has shown that men who have high levels of hostility,
      contemptuous feelings toward others, or handle their anger with a quick, fiery temper are at risk of developing a heart
      rhythm disturbance called atrial fibrillation," Dr. Elaine D. Eaker, the president and owner of Eaker Epidemiology
      Enterprises in Chili, Wisconsin, told Reuters Health.
      "We can conclude from our findings that hot-tempered anger and hostility in men are not benign personality
      characteristics," Eaker said. She advises men to be aware of how they handle anger, as well as to examine their
      attitudes toward others if they are hostile.
      The evidence is mixed on whether anger, hostility and other psychological factors influence development of heart
      disease, Eaker's group reports in the current issue of Circulation: Journal of the American Heart Association. Until
      now, the possible link between psychological factors and atrial fibrillation has never been examined, the researchers
      note.
      More...from HeartCenterOnline at:
      http://www.heartcenteronline.com/myheartdr/home/research-detail.cfm?reutersid=4172

      14. What Causes Muscle Soreness?
      Gabe Mirkin, M.D.
      Your muscles should feel sore on some days after you exercise. If you go out and jog the same two miles at the same
      pace, day after day, you will never become faster, stronger or have greater endurance. If you stop lifting weights when
      your muscles start to burn, you won't feel sore on the next day and you will not become stronger. All improvement in any
      muscle function comes from stressing and recovering. On one day, you go out and exercise hard enough to make your
      muscles burn during exercise. The burning is a sign that you are damaging your muscles. On the next day, your muscles
      feel sore because they are damaged and need time to recover. Scientist call this DOMS, delayed onset muscle soreness.
      More...from DrMirkin.com at:
      http://www.drmirkin.com/fitness/1346.html

      15. Taking The Sneeze And Wheeze Out Of Exercise:
      Pollen, air pollutants, respiratory infections, even cold air can make exercising difficult for people with asthma and
      allergies. But don't let them stop you. Exercise is excellent medicine even if you have severe asthma or allergies — it
      strengthens the lungs and heart, improves circulation to all the tissues, including the brain, and cleans out waste
      products that build up from chronic respiratory problems. What's more, it helps overweight people lose a few pounds,
      which can open up the airways and further improve lung function.
      The keys to exercising with asthma or allergies are preparation and awareness of yourself and your environment. The
      suggestions below are a good start, but they shouldn't take the place of a conversation with your physician about
      setting up a treatment program that will be effective during exercise.
      More...from InteliHealth at:
      http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/35320/35322/348148.html?d=dmtHMSContent&k=wellx7165x35322
      [Long URL]

      This Weeks Events:
      *Please verify event dates with the event websites*

      Ongoing:

      February 21 - March 7, 2004:
      Arizona Games - Phoenix, AZ
      http://www.seniorgames.org/main.htm

      Coming Up
      For more complete race listings check out our Upcoming Races

      March 5-7, 2004:
      World Indoor Championships - Budapest Hungary
      http://www.2004budapest.com/en/index.html
      IAAF Site
      http://www.2004budapest.com/en/index.html

      Extreme Adventure Hildago - Mexico
      http://www.eah2004.com/englishindex.html

      March 6, 2004:
      Bay Island Triathlon - Honduras
      http://www.bayislandstriathlon.com/

      Bayou City Classic 10K - Houston, TX
      http://www.bayoucityclassic.org/

      Ironman New Zealand - Lake Taupo, NZ
      http://www.ironman.co.nz/

      March 7, 2004:
      LA Marathon, Los Angeles, CA
      http://www.lamarathon.com/

      Fin Del Mundo Marathon - Ushuaia (Argentinian Patagonia)
      http://www.findelmundomarathon04.com/

      Napa Valley Marathon - CA
      http://www.napa-marathon.com/

      March 10-14, 2004:
      World Masters Indoor Championships - Sindelfingen, Germany
      http://www.world-masters-athletics.org/

      March 11-13, 2004:
      CIS Track & Field Championships - Windsor, ON
      http://www.cisport.ca/e/championships/track/2004/

      March 13, 2004:
      Gate River Run 15K - Jacksonville, FL
      *USA Men's and Women's Championship; USARC Event
      http://www.1stplacesports.com/

      St. Joseph Day 5K - Mechanicsburg, PA
      http://www.sj5k.org/

      March 14, 2004:
      Seoul International Marathon - Korea
      http://marathon.donga.com/home/default.asp

      Surf Coast Triathlon - Australia
      http://www.x-tri.com.au/surfcoast/

      Television and Online Coverage:
      [Check local listings as event times are subject to change]

      Check out our new Runner's Web Television Links page at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/rw_television.html

      Send this to a Friend:
      Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe
      at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RunnersWeb/join

      Your Feedback and Comments:
      mailto:runnersweb@yahoogroups.com and in our Runner's Web Forum, available
      off our FrontPage. If you post to the mailing list and get your email
      returned, please contact the Runner's Web at
      mailto:webmaster@... to notify us of the problem. To update your
      Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the web site at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RunnersWeb/join, sign in and update your
      changes.

      Runner's Web
      webmaster@... <mailto:webmaster@...>