Runner's Web Digest - February 6, 2004

  • kparker@runnersweb.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2004
      Runner's Web Digest - February 6, 2004

      Brought to you by Road Runner Sports, the world's largest running
      store at:
      http://www.roadrunnersports.com/cgi-bin/rrs/rrs/rrHome.jsp?sc=CBM-
      00105&prfc=1

      The Runner's Web Digest is a weekly e-zine dealing with the sports of
      running and triathlon and general fitness and health issues.
      The opinions expressed in the articles referenced by the Digest are
      the
      opinions of the writers and not the Runner's Web

      Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html
      The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out our daily news
      features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more. General questions
      should
      be posted to one of our forums available from our FrontPage.

      For new subscribers:
      If you have any questions regarding the options available for
      receiving
      this digest, please do NOT email the list, rather email me directly at
      mailto:Webmaster@...

      This newsletter has been composed using Outlook set to text format.
      The
      Runner's Web Digest is a weekly digest of information on running,
      triathlons and multisport activities. It is sent via an email list at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/ which allows all users to communicate with
      everyone on the list.

      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns
      for
      viruses. Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor (me) prior
      to being released to the group.

      NOTE******************************************************************
      **
      [ Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two
      lines. If you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you
      paste
      the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or
      another appropriate suffix ]
      **

      References/URLs:
      Most references in the digest which do not have a specific URL listed
      here are available from the Runner's Web FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html
      Also, if have email software that does not read HTML, all links
      contained in the Digest are available from the Runner's Web Site or
      from
      me.
      All URLs listed here have been verified as of the Digest publication
      date. It is possible that the site may have archived or deleted the
      page
      after publication.
      If you are unable to reach a URL listed here, ensure that you are
      using
      the entire URL (see above).
      If you still cannot reach the site, please email me at
      mailto:webmaster@... and I will try to track it down.

      Note: Some sites require free registration.

      New This Week:

      Our latest column from Carmichael Training Systems is
      available: Quick Tips for Winter Running
      By Derick Williamson, CTS Coach.

      Check it out at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/cts_columns.html

      Fed up with Spam, try Cloudmark's SpamNet for Outlook and Outlook
      Express:
      http://www.cloudmark.com/?rc=hvx4hl

      Digest Article Index:

      1. Vitamin E may reduce muscle soreness
      2. Elitism in Youth Sports Yields Physical Fatness
      3. How Do I Know If I'm Dehydrated?
      4. Guzzling Beer Helps Rats Stay Cancer-Free
      5. Frigid Weather and Sports Can Mix
      6. Sports drinks canned
      7. Colorado Takes Strides to Polish Thin and Fit Image
      8. Expensive Trainers May Not Be Worth It
      9. Bicyclist inspires riders in epilepsy fund-raiser
      Mike Nishimoto didn't let a near-fatal mishap stop his involvement in
      physical events.
      10. New antioxidants 100 times more effective than vitamin E
      11. Marathons Start Early
      12. Testosterone Drop in Men Can Cause Depression, Study Finds:
      13. Getting back in the game
      It happens to almost everyone, but professional athletes are much more
      willing to push through the pain.
      14. The Great Indoors
      3 recommended workouts for indoor training this winter.
      15. From Runner's World
      16. When Not To Train
      17. How far will low-carb go? Pizza may be next
      18. Mayor says road must be made safer
      After a fatal accident, Pam Iorio says enforcing speed limits is not
      enough.
      "I think you have to look at roadway design."
      19. Setting up your tri season, part 5: Fun racing post-season
      20. Stride Right
      The best stride drills to follow your daily workout.
      21. Intense Exercise Does Not Damage The Heart
      22. Building Strength and Speed in the Winter Months
      23. Don't be a world champion in January
      24. Using vitamin and mineral supplements wisely
      25. CDC Says Carbs to Blame for Rising Calorie Intake

      We have NO personal postings this week.
      Personal Postings, when available, are located after the Upcoming
      Section
      towards the bottom of the newsletter.

      This week's poll is: "What is the toughest feat to accomplish in
      track and
      field?"

      Cast your vote at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html
      Post your views in our Forum at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/runnersweb_forum.html
      [Free Registration Required]

      The previous poll was: "Which category of athlete are you?"

      The results at publication time were:
      Answers Votes Percent
      1. Elite 11 11%
      2. Fitness 29 29%
      3. Recreational 13 13%
      4. Recreational - competitive 46 46%
      5. Other ? 1 1%
      Total Votes: 100

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage as well as voting on and/or
      checking the results of previous polls.

      Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they
      subscribe at:

      Five Star Site of the Week: Alicia Parr, Triathlete
      "Hello and welcome to my website. The purpose of this website is to
      document
      my 2004 athletic season. Every season has its ups and downs. The 2004
      season
      should be interesting.
      Four half iron distance races, 2 international distance races, a
      couple of
      sprints, and my first attempt at a marathon distance run. And lots of
      other
      races thrown into the mix as speedwork. Check out my schedule. Looks
      daunting, but not dramatically different than my '03 schedule. New
      website
      features this year are the e-Blah! bbs system that I will be using to
      post
      race results, race reports, and any articles I may write or provide
      quotes.
      The other nifty feature; I'll be using is the emAlbum photo browser
      script.
      All things considered, the website should be much better."
      Check out Alicia's site at:
      http://www.aliciaparr.com/

      Send us your suggestions for our Five Star site. Please check our list
      of previous Five Star Sites available from the Five Star Window under
      the link "Previous Five Star Sites" as we do not wish to repeat a site
      unless it has undergone a major redesign.

      If you feel you have something to say that is worthy of a Guest Column
      on the Runner's Web, email us at
      mailto:RunnersWeb@...
      or leave your comments in one of our Forums at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/forum.html
      or from our FrontPage.

      Our Photo Slideshow is updated on a random basis. Check it out from
      our
      FrontPage.

      Book of the Week: Running Within: A Guide to Mastering the Body-Mind-
      Spirit
      Connection for Ultimate Training and Racing.
      by Jerry Lynch, Warren A. Scott
      Effective running requires fitness and harmony of the body, mind, and
      spirit. Running Within is your guide to developing each of those
      areas so
      that you can perform better, have more fun, and experience a deeper
      connection with running.
      For more information and to buy the book:
      /0880118326/ref=ase_runnersweb/102-0182896-9006569?v=glance&s=books
      [Long URL]

      Be sure to check out our Flash Page where we list all recent additions
      to the Runner's Web. This page is updated before Monday morning each
      week.

      This Weeks News:

      Articles:

      1. Vitamin E may reduce muscle soreness:
      If a weekend workout has you hobbling around the office Monday, you
      might
      want to reach for the bottle -- one of vitamin E that is.
      Vitamin E may help ease muscle soreness from a rigorous workout,
      according
      to a 2002 study.
      The vitamin acts as an antioxidant to protect cells from free radicals
      generated during a workout. The chemical buildup may cause soreness
      in the
      muscles.
      There are two basic types of muscle soreness -- one is acute and
      usually
      happens during or immediately after exercise. The other is delayed and
      occurs about 12 hours after a workout.
      Acute soreness may be an expression of simple fatigue, probably the
      result
      of a buildup of chemical byproducts from exercise. Usually rest will
      help
      alleviate the initial discomfort.
      But for those folks who wait until the weekend to work out
      rigorously, they
      may experience what's called delayed soreness. It's a normal response
      overexertion and part of a process that leads to greater strength
      once the
      muscles recover.
      In the study cited previously, vitamin E was shown to help reduce
      symptoms
      of muscle soreness, inflammation and muscle weakness. Participants
      used
      doses of 1,000 IU daily, but lower doses of about 200 to 400 IU may
      give
      exercisers the same benefits.
      More...from CNN at:
      http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/01/30/hln.fit.vitamin.e/index.html

      2. Elitism in Youth Sports Yields Physical Fatness:
      We're fat. In fact, as a country, we've never been fatter. Today, as
      we
      prepare for the ultimate couch potato experience - the Super Bowl -
      it is
      sobering to note that almost 65 percent of adults in the United
      States are
      either overweight or obese. That is sad news. But what is even sadder
      is our
      children are on pace to be significantly fatter than we are by the
      time they
      reach adulthood.
      The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that the
      percentage
      of children ages 6 to 11 who are overweight has increased nearly 300
      percent
      the past 25 years. The numbers are nearly identical for teenagers.
      As a result, children today have a shorter life expectancy than their
      parents for the first time in 100 years, said William J. Klish,
      professor of
      pediatrics at the Baylor College of Medicine.
      "We are in the middle of an epidemic that may have profound health
      effects
      for our children," Klish said. "If society doesn't act now to
      implement
      preventative measures, the increase of obesity will not stop."
      The health implications are scary. For example, Type 2 diabetes was
      once
      considered an adult disease. Now, the incidence of the disease has
      increased
      dramatically in children and adolescents because more children are
      overweight. Klish notes that the percentage of children and
      adolescents
      found to have Type 2 diabetes at Texas Children's Hospital has
      increased to
      27 percent in 2002 from less than 1 percent 20 years ago.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/01/sports/othersports/01FAT.html

      3. How Do I Know If I'm Dehydrated?
      You may take water for granted, but your body doesn't. Every cell,
      tissue
      and organ needs water to function properly. You also need water to
      keep your
      internal temperature stable and eliminate waste products produced by
      your
      body.
      Indeed, water is as important as oxygen for sustaining life. You could
      survive up to six weeks without food, but not more than a few days,
      maybe a
      week tops, without water. Even when you are inactive, your body loses
      more
      than a quart of water every day - through urine, perspiration, and
      sweat.
      And most days you lose 2.5 quarts. You also lose water when you
      exhale - up
      to one or two glasses a day in the form of vapor. With all that water
      going
      out, you need to replace what's lost. For most people, that's done
      without a
      second thought: You get thirsty; you drink. Simple.
      "Normally, your body does an amazing job of maintaining proper fluid
      balance," says Robert H. Shmerling, M.D., associate professor of
      medicine at
      Harvard Medical School.
      With help from your kidneys, your body holds onto water when your
      system is
      a bit low and gets rid of it when there's excess. But what happens if
      the
      balance shifts to the point where your body becomes depleted of
      water? In
      other words, there's more going out than coming in. That's when
      you're at
      risk of dehydration, a potentially life-threatening condition if not
      treated
      promptly.
      More...from InteliHealth at:
      http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/7165/29730.html

      4. Guzzling Beer Helps Rats Stay Cancer-Free:
      NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Drinking beer or eating certain
      components found
      in the beverage seems to protect against colon cancer in rats, new
      research
      shows. Whether this holds true in humans, however, remains to be
      determined.
      In the new study, Dr. Hajime Nozawa, from Kirin Brewery Co. in
      Yokohama,
      Japan, and colleagues assessed the ability of beer or its components
      prevent a type of chemically induced colon cancer in rats. The
      results are
      reported in the International Journal of Cancer.
      Consumption of beer or malt extract for two weeks reduced the amount
      of DNA
      damage that occurred. Moreover, beer intake for the full five-week
      study
      period reduced the formation of early lesions that can become colon
      cancer.
      The ability of beer to inhibit these lesions depended on the type of
      malt
      with dark-roasted malts being more effective than pilsner malts. In
      addition, only freeze-dried beer, not ethanol, had a protective
      effect.
      More...from Reuters at:
      http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?
      type=healthNews&storyID=4253393

      5. Frigid Weather and Sports Can Mix:
      (HealthDayNews) -- Even when the cold winds howl, the freezing rain
      pours
      down and the snow flies fast and furious, many winter enthusiasts
      can't wait
      to take to the fields, rinks or slopes.
      In fact, winter sports activities are great for body and soul, but
      cold
      weather can require a little more preparation and attention to detail
      for
      safe participation.
      According to experts at the Curry Health Center at the University of
      Montana, where cold weather is a familiar phenomenon, the outdoor
      temperature is only one variable winter athletes need to consider.
      Others
      include the intensity and duration of participation in the sports
      activity,
      velocity of the wind and an individual's level of conditioning.
      The doctors at Curry Health caution that athletes need to take into
      account
      the combination of temperature and wind, called the wind-chill
      factor, when
      readying for sports participation. Depending on the speed of the
      wind, even
      a temperature as high as 30 degrees can be dangerous because during
      exercise
      heat is lost and the body temperature can drop to dangerous levels.
      Frostbite caused by the effects of below-freezing temperatures on
      tissues of
      the body is another common threat. Its hallmark symptoms are burning,
      numbness and white or blue tissue. The areas most sensitive are
      fingers,
      ears and toes. Protecting these with mittens, hats, wool socks or
      other
      protective gear can lengthen periods of safe athletic participation.
      Beware of wet athletic gear and clothing when the mercury hovers near
      or
      below the freezing point. Wet garments, especially those that are not
      wool,
      give little protection from the elements.
      Several symptoms are tip-offs that participation in outdoor winter
      sports
      should be discontinued immediately, including:
      - Uncontrollable or excessive shivering
      - Loss of sensation, control or ability to move fingers or toes
      - Lethargy or extreme tiredness
      - Slowed breathing and heartbeat
      - Mental confusion
      The staff of Curry Health point out these symptoms are serious and
      can be
      life-threatening. Immediate appropriate intervention is critical, but
      an
      ounce of prevention is also of value.

      6. Sports drinks canned:
      CHILDREN are guzzling caffeinated energy drinks before school sports
      carnivals and games in a bid to gain a competitive edge.
      Students are drinking up to five cans of sports drinks - which
      contain up to
      80mg of caffeine each - because they think it will make them play
      better and
      run faster.
      Anecdotal evidence is supported by research from Sydney University
      senior
      lecturer in nutrition Jennifer O'Dea, who found schoolchildren aged
      eight
      and above were using the drinks before sporting events.
      Dr O'Dea said her study revealed schoolchildren consumed energy
      drinks as
      stimulants before basketball and soccer matches to enhance sports
      performance.
      "They weren't concerned about testing because they are amateur
      athletes,"
      she said.
      Boys aged 11-17 taking part in Dr O'Dea's research described the
      perceived
      benefits of the drinks.
      "I drink it before soccer and I don't lose energy as fast," one boy
      said.
      More...from the Sunday Times at:
      http://www.sundaytimes.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,8547686%
      255E2762,00.html

      7. Colorado Takes Strides to Polish Thin and Fit Image:
      DENVER, Jan. 27 - Everyone here has buns of steel and rock-hard abs
      laced
      across the zero-fat body of a vegan marathon runner. Everyone hikes
      and
      bikes and has climbed Pikes Peak.
      That is not really true, of course. But as a stereotype, it resonates
      and
      lingers - like the absurd idea that New Yorkers are rude or
      Californians are
      flaky - because it has always been easy to find an example that makes
      it
      seem true.
      For years, Colorado has worn the crown as the least obese state in the
      nation, according to federal studies, and Denver has been the jewel
      in that
      crown, invariably ranked among the leanest metropolitan areas by the
      Centers
      of Disease Control and Prevention. There was a powerful demographic
      engine
      at work: People were more fit partly because fitter people moved
      here, drawn
      by the active lifestyle and abundant sunshine that encouraged more
      time
      outdoors.
      Healthy living became part of the culture, and things cruised along
      for
      years on a self-sustaining autopilot of svelte.
      But here's the skinny: Colorado's obesity rate surged to nearly 17
      percent
      of the adult population in 2002 and has more than doubled over the
      last
      decade. Though still the thinnest state, its lead is slipping,
      according to
      the most recent federal figures. Only 10 states did worse in 2002 in
      holding
      down or reducing the number of severely overweight residents.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/01/national/01THIN.html
      [Free Subscription Required]

      8. Expensive Trainers May Not Be Worth It:
      A personal trainer will keep an eye on your lunges and squats for
      $15, or 10
      times as much. But experts warn the higher payments don't necessarily
      get
      you a better workout.
      No matter what the price, personal trainers have the same purpose.
      They help
      clients work toward goals, such as weight loss or achievement in
      sports.
      Trainers judge where clients need help, tailor exercise programs to
      meet
      those needs, and make sure the clients do the workouts with correct
      form.
      Trainers also offer encouragement -- for instance, driving a dedicated
      athlete to push for one last lift or telephoning an undedicated
      newbie with
      a reminder to show up.
      Even at the lowest price, clients should expect a trainer to be
      certified by
      a recognized accrediting organization. Certification, which requires a
      trainer to pass an examination, is insurance against bad training
      advice
      that can lead to injury. Among the best regarded certifications are
      those
      from the American College of Sports Medicine, the American Council on
      Exercise and the National Strength and Conditioning Association.
      More...from the LA Times at:
      http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/ats-
      ap_health11feb01,1,7541601.story?coll=sns-ap-tophealth
      [Free Subscription Required]

      9. Bicyclist inspires riders in epilepsy fund-raiser:
      Mike Nishimoto didn't let a near-fatal mishap stop his involvement in
      physical events.
      More than a year ago, doctors told Mike Nishimoto he was paralyzed
      and would
      never walk again.
      Yesterday, Nishimoto rode his bicycle 21 miles to support the Epilepsy
      Foundation of Hawaii.
      "It's just incredible," said Raul Boca, who helped train Nishimoto. "I
      couldn't believe it. It's like a miracle."
      In January 2003, while preparing for the New Zealand Ironman
      triathlon,
      Nishimoto set out on an easy late afternoon bicycle ride from Kahala
      Hawaii Kai. While heading up Kealaolu Avenue, a bus struck him from
      behind,
      dragging him underneath it.
      He sustained nerve damage to his legs, spinal injuries, a lacerated
      liver, a
      punctured lung and broken ribs. Many rods and screws now hold parts
      of his
      body together. Doctors told him he would never walk again.
      Since October, he has been able to walk with a cane after being
      wheelchair-bound for several months.
      Yesterday, Nishimoto, 43, completed 21 miles of the 25-mile bike ride
      for
      the second annual Sharon's Ride/Walk for Epilepsy. The event is in
      memory of
      Sharon Rosenfield, a nurse and teacher who was killed during a cross-
      country
      bicycle ride in 1993.
      More...from the Star Bulletin at:
      http://starbulletin.com/2004/02/02/news/story3.html

      10. New antioxidants 100 times more effective than vitamin E :
      An international team of chemists has developed a new family of
      antioxidants
      that are up to 100 times more effective than Vitamin E. Antioxidants
      are
      molecules that can counteract the damaging effects of oxygen in
      tissues and
      other materials. So far, the new antioxidants have been tested "in
      vitro" -
      in the test tube. But studies with biological molecules, such as
      cholesterol, suggest that the new compounds have properties that
      could make
      them suitable for dietary supplements. Shortly, Vanderbilt researchers
      expect to begin the lengthy process of determining how effective the
      new the
      compounds are in living animals and whether they have any harmful side
      effects.

      11. Marathons Start Early:
      (This column was written for Runner's World. After submitting it, I
      learned
      that the March column would my last in that magazine. The final 70
      columns,
      going back to 1998, are archived at
      http://joehenderson.com/runnersworld )
      A new marathon season is underway. The training season, that is --
      not for a
      winter or spring race but for summer or fall. For runners beginning
      to train
      now, the "victory lap" of marathon day is still a season or two of
      the year
      away.
      Maybe you can wake up one fine spring morning and decide to run a 5K
      or 10K
      race that day, trusting your normal mileage to carry you through. Try
      this
      in a marathon, though, and the distance will quickly reveal your
      inadequacies.
      I ran a mile race in my first month as a runner. But I needed nine
      more
      years, and hundreds of shorter races, before getting up the nerve --
      and
      finding the time -- to run a marathon. Even after deciding to do it,
      the
      training began in the fall, extended through the winter and didn't
      end until
      early spring.
      The long gestation period is a big part of the marathon's mystique.
      Anyone
      can get excited about the race, but not everyone can endure the
      training.
      Between dream and reality stands that preparation. It separates the
      dreamers
      who'd like to run a marathon someday-that-never-comes from the
      realists who
      train to go the distance and finally do it.
      I've trained for marathons dozens of times (and not trained a few,
      with
      results that weren't pretty). From these experiences came a book
      simply
      titled Marathon Training -- and from this one has come a mostly new
      second
      edition.
      More...from Joe Henderson at:
      http://www.joehenderson.com/archive/416.html

      12. Testosterone Drop in Men Can Cause Depression, Study Finds:
      CHICAGO (Reuters) - A steep decline in levels of the hormone
      testosterone
      can trigger depression in some older men, researchers said on Monday.
      While most men's testosterone levels decline gradually after age 40, a
      severe drop called hypogonadism afflicts roughly 30 percent of men
      over age
      55.
      The condition can cause decreased muscle mass and strength, less bone
      mineral density, diminished appetite, decreased libido, fatigue and
      irritability.
      "Hypogonadal men showed an increased incidence of depressive illness"
      in the
      study of 278 men older than 44, wrote study author Molly Shores of
      Veterans
      Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle.
      Shores said 22 percent of the men with hypogonadism were diagnosed
      with
      depression over a two-year period, against 7 percent of those without
      the
      condition.
      Testosterone levels normally peak in early adulthood, and then
      decrease by
      approximately 1 percent per year after age 40.
      The study appeared in the journal Archives of General Psychiatry.
      From Reuters.com

      13. Getting back in the game:
      It happens to almost everyone, but professional athletes are much more
      willing to push through the pain.
      By Martin Miller, Times Staff Writer
      Getting to a Super Bowl is often as much a triumph over injury as it
      is over
      an opponent.
      By the time the big game rolls around, players have endured a
      season's worth
      of being bashed, slammed and trampled. Most are nursing at least one
      nagging
      injury - a jammed finger, pulled muscle or an ankle sprain, to name
      just a
      few.
      "By the Super Bowl, it seems like all the guys are dealing with
      chronic
      injuries," said Lindsy McLean, who retired last summer after 24 years
      as the
      head trainer of the San Francisco 49ers. "They're basically playing on
      desire and adrenaline by that point."
      In many cases, the injuries aren't much different from those suffered
      by
      weekend warriors playing basketball, racquet sports or bicycling.
      About 7
      million sports injuries are treated annually in the United States,
      according
      to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta.
      Muscle
      strains and ankle sprains account for the bulk of them - almost a
      third, at
      31% - and they are especially prevalent among those 30 and older.
      More...from the LA Times at:
      http://www.latimes.com/features/health/fitness/la-he-
      inthegame2feb02,1,4004921.story?coll=la-health-fitness-news
      [Long URL]

      14. The Great Indoors:
      3 recommended workouts for indoor training this winter.
      Courtesy of Runner's World
      If Old Man Winter is tripping up your running program, it might be
      time to
      come in from the cold. The good news is that by spending as little as
      20
      minutes in the gym, you can get a great total-body workout.
      When you were a kid, your mom probably told you not to run indoors.
      Still a
      valid rule for scissors-wielding 2-year-olds, but not for the rest of
      us--especially not this time of year. It's cold. It's wet. It's dark
      before
      dinner.
      A good time, in other words, to log a few miles in a temperature-
      controlled,
      bright-as-sunlight gym. The gym also offers something you won't find
      on any
      bucolic outdoor running route: access to both cardio and strength-
      training
      equipment. So in one visit, you can get an excellent "twofer" workout
      that
      will benefit your whole body, not just your legs. Best of all, you
      can get
      this twofer done in as little as 20 minutes (hey, we're all busy
      during the
      holidays). If you've got more time, even better.
      Here we present three routines designed to take 20, 40, or 60 minutes,
      depending on how much time you have. These sessions are simple and
      effective, and each comes with a running option (Plan A) and a non-
      running
      alternative (Plan B), in case you're in the mood for a little variety.
      Either way, you get an excellent total-body workout.
      More...from New Balance at:
      http://www.newbalance.com/productbrowser/performance/traininginfo.html
      ?sport=Running&gender=&product_type=&feature=&page=thegreatindoors
      [Multi-line URL]

      15. from Runner's World:
      Run with a Rhythm: "Once your body is in motion, it wants to stay in
      motion.
      So, after your warm-up, settle into a smooth, easy rhythm you know
      you can
      continue for the length of your run. Don't let your stride become too
      long,
      or your pace too demanding. If your initial running rhythm is too
      fast,
      you'll tire quickly and never find the zone."
      -Jeff Galloway

      Without flexibility, you are an injury waiting to happen because tight
      muscles cannot go through their full range of motion. Stretching is
      not the
      same as warming up. The best time to stretch is after a run, when your
      muscles are warm and elongated

      EGGS ARE GOOD! You need 1,000 to 2,000 mg of omega-3 fatty acids to
      fight
      heart disease, depression, and pain. You can get it from "designer"
      eggs.
      The hens that produce these gems are fed a natural, grain-based diet
      enriched with fish oil or algae. Another plus: They have up to seven
      times
      more vitamin E than regular eggs but no more calories and fat!

      "Your muscles run on a type of stored energy called glycogen, which
      is made
      from the carbohydrate that you consume in your diet. As you exercise,
      your
      body drains stored carbohydrate from your muscles. Unless you
      replenish
      those stores, your body will run out of this fuel after about 90
      minutes. As
      your muscles begin to pull sugar out of your bloodstream as a backup,
      your
      blood sugar plummets, setting off a chain of reactions in your brain
      that
      make you feel dead tired.
      -From Eat Smart Play Hard by Liz Applegate

      "The long run was Lydiard's most lasting gift to training. Few
      runners still
      do his 100-mile weeks, but almost everyone-from a miler to a
      marathoner-runs
      longer than his norm at least once a week. The long run builds
      endurance,
      and it provides a great opportunity to spend time with friends."
      -Amby Burfoot, RW Executive Editor

      16. When Not To Train:
      Training, simply, is adding specific stress to the body. Your body
      then
      adapts to the stress load, and gets stronger, faster, or more
      powerful.
      There are times when completing your work out is detrimental to your
      training and perhaps your health. Knowing when these times are will
      reduce
      your risk of injury, and ultimately make your training more efficient
      and
      productive.
      When you are sick: You may not need to stop your training with a
      minor
      cold, but if you have a more severe illness your body needs to devote
      its
      energy to healing itself, just like an injury. Generally, if your
      symptoms
      are above the neck (nasal congestion), you may be able to train. If
      your
      symptoms are below the neck, such as gastrointestinal problems, upper
      respiratory issues, fever, body aches, and sore throat you should
      wait until
      you are better.
      When you are injured: In my experience, the body usually gives you an
      indicator when an injury is impending - such as a small amount of
      pain when
      training. If you listen to your body, and give it a few days to
      heal, the
      injury may quickly resolve itself. When you try to train through
      minor
      sprains and strains you will greatly increase your risk of a more
      serious
      injury that could keep you from training for some time. If you are
      experiencing pain when you are not exercising, you definitely need to
      let
      your injury heal before placing further stress on the body.
      More...from the Sport Factory at:
      http://www.thesportfactory.com/When_Not_To_Train.shtml

      17. How far will low-carb go? Pizza may be next:
      Pizza might be hailed as the food of the gods, one of America's best-
      loved
      meals, a hearty delectable dish that fills the stomach and seems to
      soothe
      the soul.
      But to low-carb dieters, it's just a gut-busting disk of dough.
      And that has caused pizza makers around the nation to wonder if the
      low-carb
      craze will force changes in one of America's best-loved foods.
      They're saying, "Hey, we've got a problem here. Pizza's built on
      bread. It's
      the No. 1 enemy of the Atkinites," said Tom Boyles, senior editor of
      PMQ
      Magazine, a publication that follows the pizza industry.
      Boyles has a word for those who want to avoid
      carbohydrates: "carbavoids."
      Although industry sales haven't taken a hit yet, some pizza operators
      are
      considering offering customers low-carb pizzas.
      More...from CNN at:
      http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/diet.fitness/02/03/lowcarb.pizza.ap/ind
      ex.html

      18. Mayor says road must be made safer:
      After a fatal accident, Pam Iorio says enforcing speed limits is not
      enough.
      "I think you have to look at roadway design."
      Today, a driver can cruise along Bayshore Boulevard for 9 miles
      without
      tapping the brakes.
      But that could change.
      Mayor Pam Iorio created a task force Wednesday to improve safety on
      Tampa's
      grand boulevard, and she talked tough about making cars slow down.
      "If it takes people a little bit longer to get from downtown to Gandy
      Boulevard, it's worth it," she said.
      Iorio said the city needs to physically change Bayshore Boulevard.
      And that
      could mean building walkways where people cross. Or adding traffic
      lights,
      or changing the landscaping.
      "It just needs to be done," Iorio said.
      The mayor will leave the recommendations to her task force, which will
      include traffic engineers, police and neighborhood groups.
      She created it the day after 39-year-old Melissa McKenzie died on
      Bayshore,
      struck by a motorcycle during her morning run.
      More...from the ST. Petersburg Times at:
      http://www.sptimes.com/2004/02/05/Hillsborough/Mayor_says_road_must_.s
      html

      19. Setting up your tri season, part 5: Fun racing post-season:
      am struck by how often, when talking to the top pro coaches and
      athletes,
      the danger of doing too much is the emphasis.
      Sure, there is truth to the idea that more is better, but top pros
      admit to
      a feeling, once they've reached a certain level of success, of
      invincibility.
      Paul Huddle, former top pro and current top coach, asked Thomas
      Hellriegel,
      immediately after he won the Hawaiian Ironman, what he was going to
      do now.
      "I'm going to ride higher mileage next year," he said. This is so
      emblematic
      of top athletes today. It is to their credit that they have such a
      well-developed sense of hard work, but it is also a potential danger.
      When you've been racing a long time, you recognize that the whole
      process is
      a continuum. There is no one race that means that much more than
      another --
      or at least it shouldn't.
      It's a lifestyle and, as we've all heard, it's the journey that
      counts. But
      it bears remembering, and I don't think it can be repeated too often.
      Many top Ironman athletes, perhaps most of them, compete in a very
      hard race
      the very week following Hawaii -- the Xterra in Maui. They don't get
      start
      money, and most of them are so beat from the Ironman that they place
      poorly.
      More...from Active.com at:
      http://www.active.com/story.cfm?
      story_id=10421&sidebar=26&category=triathlon

      20. Stride Right:
      The best stride drills to follow your daily workout.
      From New Balance - Courtesy of Runner's World
      Most world-class runners do some sort of stride drills after their
      daily
      workouts.
      Over years of running, inefficiencies can creep into your stride.
      Often, an
      injury changes the way you run. Or maybe one leg has become stronger
      than
      the other for some reason, or you've started swinging your arms
      across your
      chest too much.
      Stride drills can help. Most world-class runners do some sort of
      stride
      drills after their daily workouts. They know these simple exercises
      optimize
      their stride by searing proper mechanics into muscle memory. Niggling
      flaws
      work themselves out, posture improves, forward movement is
      accentuated.
      Following are four excellent stride drills to incorporate into your
      running
      program (a level grass field is the best place for them). Aim for two
      four of each drill per session and cover at least 50 meters when you
      do each
      one.
      High knees
      Just like it sounds. Drive your knees skyward with each stride, like
      a drill
      major in a marching band. Don't worry about forward speed. Simply
      lift those
      knees high. This drill strengthens your hip flexor muscles and
      improves your
      push-off power.
      Butt kicks
      Almost the opposite of high knees in that you're doing an exaggerated
      back
      kick. Literally, you should be "kicking your butt" with the heel with
      each
      stride. This drill stretches and strengthens your quadriceps muscles.
      Skipping
      Yep, just like you used to do in grade school. Use a slightly
      exaggerated
      arm motion to propel yourself upward and forward. Skipping improves
      your
      coordination and push-off power.
      Bounding
      As if you were jumping from one rock to another, exaggerate your
      normal
      running stride's height and length. Run in slow motion, alternately
      letting
      each foot do all the work of absorbing impact, then pushing off. This
      drill
      improves coordination and strengthens glutes and calves.

      21. Intense Exercise Does Not Damage The Heart:
      Gabe Mirkin, M.D.
      A study from Freiburg University in Germany shows that hard exercise
      does
      not damage the heart. To improve for athletic competition, all
      athletes must
      suffer skeletal muscle damage. Without this damage their muscles will
      not
      grow and they will not become stronger. So on one day, they exercise
      very
      intensely by lifting very heavy weights, running very fast, or
      competing on
      the basketball court very intensely. They know that they have damaged
      their
      muscles with hard exercise because their muscles feel sore on the
      next day.
      As the muscles heal, they produce growth hormones that help the
      muscles to
      grow larger and stronger. Athletes can tell when their muscles have
      healed
      because the soreness goes away and the athlete then takes another hard
      workout to damage his muscle again.
      World-class competitive bicycle racers ride at close to their maximum
      heart
      rate. for 5 to 7 hours a day. Many researchers have been concerned
      that this
      very hard riding would damage their heart muscle as well as their
      skeletal
      muscles. They know that when muscles are damaged, they release
      enzymes into
      the blood stream. This study shows that the heart muscle is not
      damaged the
      way that skeletal muscles are. Post exercise electrocardiograms and
      echocardiograms were normal as were blood levels of heart-specific
      enzymes,
      creatine kinase and creatine kinase MB, and myoglobin. However, older
      bicycle racers did have a rise in another enzyme, brain natriuretic
      peptide,
      that is associated with heart function. The authors felt that this
      shows
      that older athletes cannot adequately empty their heart's ventricles
      during
      the diastolic relaxation phase and the increased pressure stretches
      the
      heart muscles to raise blood levels of this hormone.
      Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise October, 2003
      From: www.DrMirkin.com

      22. Building Strength and Speed in the Winter Months:
      While it is still winter, you've likely started thinking about spring
      races,
      particularly if you've got a marathon in the works. February is time
      to get
      in easy base miles, but you can do a few things to keep your speed
      and get
      ready for more intense speed workouts to come. The easiest and most
      often
      recommended drill is to add strides to the end of a couple runs a
      week. Find
      a stretch of road, trail or field that is relatively smooth and has
      good
      footing, and run 4-10 X 100 yards (build the number of repeats as you
      gain
      strength). Run these at a fast but still relaxed pace. Concentrate on
      moving
      your feet quickly and running with good form: upright with a slight
      forward
      lean, lifting your knees as your legs swing through each stride. Be
      careful
      not to overstride: your foot should hit the ground below your center
      of
      gravity, not in front of it. Another drill you can do now to build
      strength
      and form is "high knees," described in the second half of our "Spring
      Training" article at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/issues/02may/spring.htm#part2.

      23. Don't be a world champion in January:
      How to periodize training to build fitness
      by Lance Watson with John Phillips
      This is the time of year to be certain that you understand your goals
      for
      the upcoming season and ask yourself whether your training is on
      track to
      reach those goals? Are you building yourself a solid aerobic
      foundation for
      success throughout your season? Before you jump into your race-
      specific,
      high-intensity sessions, you should focus your training on improving
      your
      aerobic foundation.
      Periodization
      Consider the periodization of your training year like building a
      great race
      car. Everyone wants the powerful engine, right? But the powerful
      engine is
      worthless if the car has lousy tires, poor suspension and unreliable
      brakes.
      Drive that and you're bound to crash.
      Similarly, building your aerobic foundation is like investing in the
      tires,
      suspension and brakes: it's not as exciting as the high horsepower
      engine,
      but it's just as important. The foundation miles will prepare your
      body for
      the intervals and speed work that you will do later. Your body will
      be more
      resistant to injury and better able to handle the "bumps and curves"
      that
      life gives you throughout your season. The better your foundation, the
      quicker your fitness will return after time off.
      More...from InsideTri at:
      http://www.insidetri.com/train/cts/articles/2025.0.html

      24. Using vitamin and mineral supplements wisely:
      Vitamins and minerals are substances your body needs in small amounts
      for
      normal growth, function and health. Together, vitamins and minerals
      are
      called micronutrients. Your body can't make most micronutrients, so
      you must
      get them from the foods you eat or, in some cases, from supplements.
      Focus on vitamins
      You need vitamins for normal body functions, mental alertness and
      resistance
      to infection. They enable your body to process proteins,
      carbohydrates and
      fats. Certain vitamins also help you produce blood cells, hormones,
      genetic
      material and chemicals in your nervous system. Unlike carbohydrates,
      proteins and fats, vitamins and minerals don't provide fuel
      (calories).
      However, they help your body release and use calories from food.
      There are 14 vitamins, which fall into two categories:
      Fat-soluble: Vitamins A, D, E and K. They're stored in your body's
      fat. Some
      fat-soluble vitamins, such as vitamins A and D, can accumulate in
      your body
      and reach toxic levels.
      Water-soluble: Vitamin C, choline, biotin and the seven B vitamins:
      thiamin
      (B-1), riboflavin (B-2), niacin (B-3), pantothenic acid (B-5),
      pyridoxine
      (B-6), folic acid/folate (B-9) and cobalamin (B-12). They're stored
      to a
      lesser extent than fat-soluble vitamins.
      More...from MayoClinic.com at:
      http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?objectid=3549DCAA-3380-4B0B-
      86EB23C76CA5FAE3

      25. CDC Says Carbs to Blame for Rising Calorie Intake:
      ATLANTA (Reuters) - Americans, especially women, are consuming far
      more
      calories than they did three decades ago, and the increasingly dreaded
      carbohydrate food group is to blame, according to a federal study
      released
      on Thursday.
      The finding, revealed in a report by the Centers for Disease Control
      and
      Prevention, comes amid repeated government warnings of a growing
      obesity
      epidemic in the nation as well as an explosion in the popularity of
      low-carbohydrate diets.
      Obesity, which increases the likelihood of heart disease, diabetes,
      some
      types of cancer and arthritis, has become twice as common in the
      nation
      since 1980. About 39 million Americans were obese in 2000, according
      to the
      U.S. government.
      More...from Reuters at:
      http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?
      type=healthNews&storyID=4294772

      This Weeks Events:
      *Please verify event dates with the event websites*
      Ongoing:

      March 5-7, 2004:
      World Indoor Championships - Budapest Hungary
      http://www.2004budapest.com/en/index.html
      IAAF Site
      http://www.2004budapest.com/en/index.html

      February 6-8, 2004:
      Asian Indoor Championships - Tehran, Iran
      http://www.aafiran.com/

      February 6-15, 2004:
      Telekom Malaysia Le Tour de Langkawi
      http://www.tdl.com.my/

      February 7, 2004:
      Tybee Marathon - Tybee Island, GA
      http://www.runtybee.com/

      U.S. Olympic Team Trials - Men's Marathon - Birmingham, AL
      http://www.birminghamtrials.com/
      USATF Site
      http://www.usatf.org/events/2004/OlympicTrials.asp
      Running Times
      http://www.runningtimes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=306
      Runner's World
      http://www.runnersworld.com/events/roadtoathens/mtrials/home.html

      Winterlude Triathlon - Ottawa, ON
      http://www.zone3sports.com/Winterlude%20triathlon%20information.htm

      Television - NBC
      Verizon Millrose Games 12:00 PM

      February 7-8, 2004:
      USATF Site
      http://www.usatf.org/events/2004/USAXCChampionships/
      USA Cross Country Championships/World Cross Country Team Trials -
      Indianapolis, IN
      http://www.indianainvaders.com/meets/2004/04_world_xc_trials1.asp

      February 8, 2004:
      Bay Islands Triathlon - Roatan,Honduras
      http://www.bayislandstriathlon.com/

      David Stampede - Davis, CA
      http://www.changeofpace.com/

      Flanders Indoors Gent - Belgium
      http://www.sport.be/flandersindoor/2004/nl/

      Hong Kong Marathon - Hong Kong
      http://hk.hkmarathon.yahoo.com/

      Check the Runner's Web on Sunday and Monday for race reports on these
      events.

      This Weeks Personal Postings/Releases:

      We have NO personal postings this week.

      Television and Online Coverage:
      [Check local listings as event times are subject to change]

      Check out our new Runner's Web Television Links page at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/rw_television.html

      Send this to a Friend:
      Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they
      subscribe at:

      Your Feedback and Comments:
      Comments, contributions and feedback are always welcome via this list
      at: mailto:runnersweb@yahoogroups.com and in our Runner's Web Forum,
      available off our FrontPage. If you post to the mailing list
      and get your email returned, please contact the Runner's Web at
      mailto:webmaster@... to notify us of the problem. To
      update your
      Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the web site at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RunnersWeb/join, sign in and update your
      changes.

      Runner's Web
      runnersweb@... <mailto:webmster@...>