Runner's Web Digest - November 7, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2003
      Runner's Web Digest - November 7, 2003

      The opinions expressed in the articles referenced by the Digest are the
      opinions of the writers and not the Runner's Web

      Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html
      The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out our daily news
      features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more.

      For new subscribers:
      If you have any questions regarding the options available for receiving
      this digest, please do NOT email the list, rather email me directly at

      This newsletter has been composed using Outlook set to text format. The
      Runner's Web Digest is a weekly digest of information on running,
      triathlons and multisport activities. It is sent via an email list at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/ which allows all users to communicate with
      everyone on the list.

      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for
      viruses. Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor (me) prior
      to being released to the group.

      [ Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two
      lines. If you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you paste
      the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or
      another appropriate suffix ]

      Most references in the digest which do not have a specific URL listed
      here are available from the Runner's Web FrontPage at:
      Also, if have email software that does not read HTML, all links
      contained in the Digest are available from the Runner's Web Site or from
      All URLs listed here have been verified as of the Digest publication
      date. It is possible that the site may have archived or deleted the page
      after publication.
      If you are unable to reach a URL listed here, ensure that you are using
      the entire URL (see above).
      If you still cannot reach the site, please email me at
      mailto:runnersweb@... and I will try to track it down.

      Note: Some sites require free registration.

      New This Week:
      We have a winner in our November Pegasus Quiz. Dave Cuplin of Spokane, WA
      correctly identified the two runners in the photo as Frank Shorter and Kenny

      Our latest column from Carmichael Training Systems is
      available: CTS MultiSport - Triathlon: : Using Imagery to Make the Most of
      Indoor Training
      By Kate Gracheck.
      Check it out at:

      Article Index:
      1. Pushing Too Hard Can Cut Training Short
      2. Top athletes risk developing asthma
      Swiss experts have found that top athletes have a high chance of developing
      3. High school has runners wired to max
      A lab in Langhorne helps youngsters hit their stride
      4. Virus-Related Muscle Damage Tied to Chronic Fatigue
      5. Look what we've done to the marathon
      6. Lack of vitamin D made worse in winter
      7. Triathlon and Multisport Injuries
      8. Stretching Warms You Up for Cold Weather Sports
      9. End of the road for Cliff
      Ultra-marathon legend Cliff Young died at home in Queensland yesterday at
      the age of 81.
      10. Behind scenes, staging the race a marathon, too Thousands smooth the way
      11. Fatigue 'could signal heart attack'
      Excessive tiredness or trouble sleeping could indicate an impending heart
      attack in women, researchers say
      12. Exercising twice in one day isn't just for fanatics anymore
      13. This doctor is an Ironman
      14. Fluid Fuel for Athletes
      15. Out for Blood
      Can Leeches End Your Knee Pain?
      16. Cyclists take on radio empire, accusing DJs of encouraging violence
      against riders
      17. Fiennes Seeks New Challenge After Marathon
      18. Genetic-based Diet Plans May Be Risky-Canada Study
      19. Knee pain
      Knee pain can be caused by inflammation of the knee tendon in the region
      just below the knee cap (patella). This is called patella tendonitis.
      20. From Running Times
      21. Jim Spivy - 3:50 Miler
      22. The tactical art of triathlon
      If you look closely, you can find the secrets to age-group glory in unlikely
      23. From Runner's World
      24. Age, exercise may boost memory
      One study found physical differences between the brains of those who work
      out and those who don't.
      25. Latest Research Review - From SportsInjuryClinic.net

      We have NO personal postings this week.
      Personal Postings, when available, are located after the Upcoming Section
      towards the bottom of the newsletter.

      This week's poll is: "The difference between the men's and women's world
      'records' for the marathon is currently 10 minutes and thirty seconds
      (2:04:55 - 2:15:25). What do you think this difference will become over the
      next ten years?"

      Cast your vote at:
      Post your views in our Forum at:
      [Free Registration Required]

      The previous poll was: "What City do you think should win the 2012 Olympic

      The results at publication time were:
      1. Havana 8 6%
      2. Istanbul 3 2%
      3. Leipzig 4 3%
      4. London 45 36%
      5. Madrid 6 5%
      6. Moscow 1 1%
      7. New York 23 18%
      8. Paris 9 7%
      9. Rio 16 13%
      10. No opinion, don't care 11 9%
      Total Votes: 126

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage as well as voting on and/or
      checking the results of previous polls.

      Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they
      subscribe at:

      Book of the Week: Marathon Training-2nd Edition by Joe Henderson.
      Once you commit to running a marathon, you need to start preparing for
      it-mentally and physically. Marathon Training presents three separate
      100-day training programs to maximize your efforts:
      If you can comfortably run six miles and have finished an organized race in
      the past, the Cruiser program enhances your chances of finishing your first
      After you've cruised your first marathon, you'll want to set your personal
      record (PR) by using the Pacer program. You'll run the entire distance of
      the race at your own pace and set goals for future finishes.
      Whether you want to beat your own PR or someone else's, the rigorous
      training schedule in the Racer program will help you achieve that goal.
      About the Author
      Joe Henderson has been writing about running for more than 40 years. He's
      the West Coast editor for Runner's World magazine and the author of more
      than 20 books on running, including several by Human Kinetics: Better Runs,
      Running 101, and Fitness Running. He is a columnist with Runner's World,
      publishes the newsletter Running Commentary, and teaches running courses at
      the University of Oregon.
      The Road Runners Club of America has twice named Henderson Journalist of the
      Year. He is also a member of the club's Hall of Fame.
      Buy the book (available in December 2003) at:

      If you feel you have something to say that is worthy of a Guest Column
      on the Runner's Web, email us at
      or leave your comments in one of our Forums at:
      or from our FrontPage.

      Our Photo Slideshow is updated on a random basis. Check it out from our

      The FiveStar Site of the Week: "The Official Alicia Warlick website".
      Alicia is currently an economics concentrator at Harvard University, on
      leave from the university to train for the 2004 Olympics.
      As a child, Alicia trained in classical ballet for nine years, before
      eventually choosing sports over dance. At the age of thirteen she met her
      present coach, Tom Tellez, at a University of Houston track camp.
      Subsequently, she became a nationally ranked high school hurdler and the
      Texas state 5A hurdles champion.
      Alicia began her studies at Harvard in 1995. She took courses at Stanford
      University in 1998 to be nearer to the strongest collegiate competitors.
      After only two full years of competition, Alicia placed sixth at the 2000
      Olympic trials. Alicia returned to Harvard, but she and her coach quickly
      decided she had the potential to excel. She is now training for the 2004
      Check out her site at:

      Send us your suggestions for our Five Star site. Please check our list
      of previous Five Star Sites available from the Five Star Window under
      the link "Previous Five Star Sites" as we do not wish to repeat a site
      unless it has undergone a major redesign.

      Be sure to check out our Flash Page where we list all recent additions
      to the Runner's Web. This page is updated before Monday morning each

      This Weeks News:

      1. Pushing Too Hard Can Cut Training Short:
      Not long after Lance Armstrong triumphed over cancer, he noticed a recurring
      pain in his left shoulder while he was training.
      The five-time Tour de France cycling champion and his coach, Chris
      Carmichael, looked in vain for a reason and even began to wonder if the
      cancer had come back.
      "At first we thought the cancer had returned. Then we looked at his position
      on the bike," Carmichael said.
      The culprit was, in fact, much simpler and more benign. It was also staring
      them right in the face, or at about torso level. Armstrong had recently
      acquired a new bike that had a handlebar width of 40 centimeters. The
      handlebars of his previous bike measured 42 centimeters across. Armstrong
      switched the handlebars and, almost immediately, felt the pain start to
      Armstrong was suffering from an overuse injury, caused from repetitive
      trauma to the tissue. According to the American Orthopaedic Society for
      Sports Medicine, some common overuse injuries are to the rotator cuff (the
      shoulder), tennis elbow, jumper's knee (common in basketball and volleyball)
      and Achilles tendonitis (seen frequently in runners).
      More...from Yahoo at:

      2. Top athletes risk developing asthma:
      Swiss experts have found that top athletes have a high chance of developing
      While the respiratory condition doesn't affect their performance, it can
      become severe once they stop training.
      One-fifth of the athletes who took part in the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney
      suffered from asthma, and the problem is growing.
      Although previous studies had already established a link between top-level
      athletes and asthma, the Swiss team set out to measure the scale of the
      Researchers spent three years with Switzerland's triathlon team, assessing
      the health of the athletes as they trained.
      Of the 34 team members, 27 already showed signs of asthma at the start of
      the study.
      "We found that the seven athletes who didn't previously have asthma would
      develop asthma within four and a half years," explained Dr Bruno Knöpfli,
      who headed the study.
      More...from NZZ Online at:

      3. High school has runners wired to max:
      A lab in Langhorne helps youngsters hit their stride.
      Hundreds of runners log thousands of practice miles every day. But how fast?
      How far? How many? How often?
      Committed coaches struggle with these questions as surely as their runners
      struggle up steep hills and against harsh winds.
      Science is here to help end the guessing game. Leave it to Council Rock,
      which created the blueprint for a successful cross-country program two
      decades ago, to look to the lab for answers.
      Council Rock North head coach Dave Marrington is collaborating with
      orthopedic surgeon Christopher Aland, sports psychologist Stephen Van
      Schoyck and physical therapist Stephen Black to test high school athletes in
      ways that were only previously available to national and world-class
      More...from Philly.com at:

      4. Virus-Related Muscle Damage Tied to Chronic Fatigue:
      NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Chronic fatigue syndrome seems to occur
      sometimes after a virus infection. Now, researchers have shown that some
      patients with the syndrome have evidence of virus in their muscles, and this
      in turn is linked to abnormal muscle function.
      Dr. R. J. M. Lane and others at Imperial College in London, UK, looked for
      RNA from enteroviruses in muscle biopsies taken from 48 patients with
      chronic fatigue syndrome and from 29 people with normal muscles
      Muscle biopsy samples from 10 of the 48 chronic fatigue patients were
      positive for enterovirus RNA, Lane's team reports in the Journal of
      Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry. "All 29 human tissue
      controls...were negative for enterovirus sequences."
      The investigators say the RNA most closely that from coxsackie B virus.
      In addition, the patients with chronic fatigue syndrome went through an
      exercise test on the day of the biopsy, and the researchers measured the
      patients' blood levels of lactic acid before and after the test.
      More...from Reuters UK at:

      5. Obesity Rise Not Fattening Fitness Firms
      NEW YORK (Reuters) - Americans are contending with ever-expanding
      waistlines, but they aren't flocking to the companies focused on helping
      them fight the problem.
      Some of the biggest names in the fitness and weight-loss industries are
      struggling to sign up members, and sales of home exercise equipment are
      sliding despite the obesity epidemic.
      Since 1980, the rate of obesity has doubled among U.S. adults and tripled
      among adolescents, according to the U.S. Surgeon General. Nearly two-thirds
      of the population is now overweight.
      Yet surveys show relatively few Americans are inclined to take the steps to
      slim down, and an uncertain economy may have made dieting and exercise even
      less of a priority.
      Such attitudes haven't helped the bottom line of companies like Weight
      Watchers International Inc. WTW.N , which cut its 2003 earnings outlook in
      More...from Reuters UK at:

      5. Look what we've done to the marathon:
      We have more gear than any other generation in history. Where marvellous
      Africans still run like the wind, occasionally even barefoot, with barely
      more than the shirts on their frail backs, we arrive at the starting line
      preposterously burdened by gewgaws, heart-rate monitors, pace bands (what
      pace can there be when you take, as I did, more than five hours?), high-tech
      clothing and enough specialty foods and drugs (various gels, Power Bars,
      long-lasting anti-inflammatories and painkillers, chocolate, raisins,
      oranges, powdered electrolyte-replacement drinks) to choke a horse.
      More...from the Globe and Mail at:
      [Multi-line URL]

      6. Lack of vitamin D made worse in winter:
      Millions of people in the Northern Hemisphere may not get enough vitamin D,
      a nutrient important for strong bones. It is a problem made worse in the
      winter, when the sun's rays are not intense enough in most of the country to
      help bodies make the sunshine vitamin.
      Substituting food can be difficult because of a lack of vitamin D-rich
      Already doctors are urging that breast-fed babies get vitamin D supplements
      to fend off a shocking return of rickets, a soft-bone disease, most often
      seen in children, that was thought eliminated decades ago. With increasing
      evidence that adults too may lack the nutrient, scientists are debating
      whether it is time to pump up everybody's level of vitamin D.
      More...from CNN at:

      7. Triathlon and Multisport Injuries:
      If I was given a dollar for each time I have pondered to myself why I seem
      to always carry an injury, when other triathletes are able to keep training
      and racing injury free, I would be able to afford all those expensive toys
      on my Christmas list. Over time and after seeing a variety of clients (all
      shapes, sizes, abilities and from many different sporting backgrounds) the
      answers have begun to make themselves clear. Quite simply, the ones who are
      constantly injured may be predisposed to certain types of injury. This is
      most likely related to biomechanical alignment, training practices, gender,
      age, underlying medical conditions and genetics.
      From what I have heard around the transition area and at the post race
      functions, triathletes and multisporters are becoming more and more aware of
      the injuries they may experience, what they should do to avoid them and who
      they should consult about them. This appears to be a vast improvement on
      some years ago.
      As a Podiatrist, I attempt to explain all reasons for the development of
      lower limb injuries: internal factors such as genetics and physiology and
      external factors such as training practices and environment. It must be
      emphasised that in some cases a Podiatrist should be used as part of a
      holistic approach, not necessarily as the sole practitioner. This means that
      regular communication should occur between the Podiatrist, GP,
      Physiotherapist, Masseuse, Coach, and other practitioners and of course you,
      the athlete.
      More...from EnduranceCoach.com at:

      8. Stretching Warms You Up for Cold Weather Sports:
      Whatever sport you play this fall, it's essential to stretch before you
      start and after you finish.
      Stretching improves and maintains your flexibility, and it helps prevent
      muscle and joint injuries. Stretching before you play a sport or begin
      exercising helps prepare your body. You also need to stretch after you
      finish any physical activity.
      However, don't restrict your stretching to game day. You also need to do
      stretching routines two to three times a week to keep your joints, ligaments
      and muscles loose, says the University of Missouri Student Health Center.
      The center offers some advice on proper stretching. First, you need to warm
      up before you even start stretching. To do that, you can run in place or
      walk briskly for five minutes. That helps warm your muscles.
      Your stretches should be gradual and gentle, and you should work all the
      major muscle groups. Hold each stretch in a still position for 10 to 30
      seconds, and stretch the muscle only to the point of resistance. If you
      start to feel pain while stretching, it means you're pushing too hard.
      Don't bounce while you stretch. That causes your muscle fibers to shorten,
      instead of lengthen, and places undue stress on them.
      Here are more stretching guidelines from the University of Washington:
      Relax while you stretch. If you breathe deeply and take your time, your
      stretches will be more enjoyable and beneficial. Pay attention to the
      muscles you're trying to stretch.
      When you stretch before playing sports or doing an activity such as running,
      make sure you focus your stretches on the muscles you'll be using during
      that activity.
      To learn more about stretching and related exercise information, go to the
      University of Michigan at:

      9. End of the road for Cliff:
      Ultra-marathon legend Cliff Young - who died at home in Queensland yesterday
      aged 81 following a long illness - shuffled his way into Australia's heart
      in 1983 with his shock win at the inaugural Sydney to Melbourne marathon.
      The nation fell in love with the 61-year-old potato farmer who came out of
      nowhere to defeat the nation's best long distance runners.
      He became famous for his shuffle running style and for wearing gumboots and
      long trousers while training more than 30km daily at his Victorian farming
      Friend and ultra-marathon historian Philip Essam said while many remembered
      these eccentricities, people in the sport credited Cliff for revolutionising
      it after he won the Sydney to Melbourne marathon.
      Back then, Cliff's coach made the famous mistake of waking him three hours
      early at 2am to start the first night of racing.
      By the time they realised the mistake, Cliff was ahead of the field and
      continued the winning tactic for the rest of the 875km race, Mr Essam said.
      More...from CoolRunning at:

      10. Behind scenes, staging the race a marathon, too Thousands smooth the
      In mid-October, Scott Roveto, an 11-year veteran of the New York City
      Marathon, jumps into his truck and drives the Manhattan portion of the
      26.2-mile, five-borough racecourse, taking detailed notes of potholes and
      other street defects.
      But Roveto never uses this information to record a personal-best time on
      race day. Instead, he stores the facts in his computer and dispatches
      resurfacing crews and hot-patching experts to repair the problem spots.
      Roveto, 41, is the director of Manhattan street maintenance for New York
      City's Department of Transportation. His counterparts in the city's four
      other boroughs scour the marathon route as closely as he does.
      ''We go over every inch of the streets as best we can,'' says Roveto, who
      estimates at least 25 workdays, citywide, go into making the course smooth
      and pothole-free from the Verrazano Narrows Bridge to Central Park for an
      expected 33,000 runners.
      Roveto is one member of a dedicated, behind-the-scenes army of volunteers
      and paid staff that are part of the organizational flow chart for Sunday's
      ING New York City Marathon.
      Bus and taxi drivers. Ferryboat pilots. Police officers. Nurses.
      Podiatrists. Baggage handlers. UPS truck drivers. Medal presenters. Water
      pourers. Porta potty pumpers. And myriad important jobs.
      Even Mayor Michael Bloomberg will get into the act, setting off the 45mm
      howitzer cannon to signal the start of the 34th running of the marathon.
      More...from USA Today at:

      11. Fatigue 'could signal heart attack':
      Excessive tiredness or trouble sleeping could indicate an impending heart
      attack in women, researchers say.
      A study in the journal Circulation looked at more than 500 women who had
      suffered heart attacks.
      About 70% had experienced unusually high levels of fatigue and 48% had
      reported disturbed sleep for more than a month before their attack.
      The researchers said they studied women because they have higher death rates
      and higher rates of disease than men.
      The study focused on women with an average age of 66 who had suffered a
      heart attack in the previous four to six months.
      More...from the BBC at:

      12. Exercising twice in one day isn't just for fanatics anymore:
      Splitting workouts is gaining in popularity. Although there are benefits
      for the time-crunched, experts warn about injuries from overuse.
      Two-a-day workouts, once considered exclusive to professional sports teams
      and hard-core competitive athletes, have become more popular among fitness
      buffs with average skills and abilities.
      "A lot of [two-a-day] people have a focus on wellness and their own personal
      goals," says Andrea Shelby, co-owner of Federal Hill Fitness in Baltimore.
      Fitness experts have mixed opinions on the strategy and its benefits,
      however. Lynne Brick, a nationally recognized aerobics instructor and owner
      of the Brick Bodies chain of health clubs, says she recommends two-a-day
      workouts only for sedentary, out-of-shape beginners who can't make it
      through one long program.
      "A deconditioned person can start with two 10-minute workouts a day," says
      Brick, "but after a few weeks, they should be able to get a [full] workout
      in at one time."
      Dr. Andrew Tucker, director of primary care sports medicine at the
      University of Maryland Medical Center and head team physician for the
      Baltimore Ravens, suggests that people who work out twice a day know their
      More...from the LA Times at:

      13. This doctor is an Ironman:
      Dr. Bradley Price is always stresses the importance of exercise to his
      Price, 56, is a very busy man, who is always on the move.
      The Austinite has delivered more than 5,000 babies over the last 26 years.
      But he is also an exercise addict.
      "You pretty much have to train for Ironman year-round. It's not something
      you can just go out and do. So even in my off season kind of stuff, I
      probably do more than the average person does," Price said.
      Price has been in hundreds of triathlons, three marathons, and two Ironmans.
      "It's sort of like climbing a mountain. It's hard, but it's very fulfilling.
      It's very empowering," Price said.
      More...from News 8 Austin at:

      14. Fluid Fuel for Athletes:
      Proper hydration is extremely important during exercise. Just take a look at
      the fancy hydration systems such as Camel Bak , Hydrapaks and more for
      example, riding on the backs of cyclists, hikers, skiers and just about
      every other athlete you can find. While I'll be the first to admit that the
      manufacturers have crafted an amazing campaign to get these things in our
      face and on our backs, there really is a sound reason to pay attention to
      all the hype. Adequate fluid intake for athletes, even the recreational
      kind, is essential to comfort, performance and even safety. The longer and
      more intensely you exercise, the more important it is to drink plenty of
      fluids. Inadequate water consumption can be physically harmful. Consider
      that a loss of as little as 2% of one's body weight due to sweating, can
      lead to a drop in blood volume. When this occurs, the heart works harder in
      order to move blood through the bloodstream. Prehydration and rehydration
      are vital to maintaining cardiovascular health, proper body temperature and
      muscle function.
      More...from About.com at:

      15. Out for Blood:
      Can Leeches End Your Knee Pain?
      Could voracious bloodsucking creatures, looking for a new post-Halloween
      role, find it in medicine? In a paper published today, a group of
      researchers suggests that letting four to six leeches suck away for an hour
      or so can dull the pain of osteoarthritis of the knee for weeks.
      The work, done by a group of German doctors and published in the Annals of
      Internal Medicine, compared 24 patients who received one round of leech
      therapy -- just over an hour of sucking by four to six of the worms -- to 27
      patients who received a single dose of a painkilling gel. A week after the
      treatments, the bloodletting group reported feeling significantly better
      than their undrained peers. Three months later, this difference was not
      statistically significant, though patients in both groups reported feeling
      better than before they started.
      More...from the Washington Post at:

      16. Cyclists take on radio empire, accusing DJs of encouraging violence
      against riders:
      CLEVELAND (AP) -- Bicyclists are demanding that the nation's largest radio
      group be punished because disc jockeys at three stations made on-air
      comments they say encouraged drivers to throw bottles at bike riders or hit
      them with open car doors.
      They say the morning show hosts at Clear Channel Communications stations in
      Cleveland, Houston and Raleigh, North Carolina, also suggested motorists
      blast horns at cyclists, and speed past them and slam on their brakes in
      front of them.
      "DJs encouraging the masses to hurt people in any form is insipid, and
      should not go unpunished," said Edwin D. Reeves, 30, a cyclist and ceramic
      engineer in St. Louis.
      Clear Channel, based in San Antonio, owns roughly 1,200 radio stations in
      the United States.
      The company won't release transcripts or tapes of the broadcasts, but the
      three stations apologized on the air and Clear Channel donated $10,000 and
      air time to promote bicycle safety.
      More...from Active.com at:

      17. Fiennes Seeks New Challenge After Marathon:
      LONDON (Reuters) - Tired but undaunted after running seven marathons in
      seven days, arctic explorer and heart double-bypass patient Ranulph Fiennes
      is already contemplating new challenges. "I definitely will not be running
      in the near future," he told Reuters on the margins of a news conference as
      he arrived back in England on Monday with running partner Mike Stroud.
      Fiennes was coy about his specific plans, but Stroud -- who carried a heart
      defibrillator with him on the runs in case Fiennes had another heart
      attack -- was more forthcoming.
      Stroud said Fiennes -- who dismissed as a "holiday" the notion of climbing
      Mount Everest -- had "toyed with the idea of going on an archaeological
      expedition." He gave no details. Fiennes called his surgery less than five
      months ago a "minor setback" in the preparation for the marathon challenge
      which the pair completed in New York on Sunday.
      But Stroud, a practicing medic, was less dismissive of the heart attack. "He
      was unbelievably lucky to survive," he told a news conference, "but he has
      been replumbed successfully."
      More...from Reuters at:

      18. Genetic-based Diet Plans May Be Risky-Canada Study:
      TORONTO (Reuters) - The old adage "You are what you eat" may soon become
      "You are what you need to eat."
      Thanks to studies that have mapped humans' genetic makeup -- which can
      outline illnesses we are prone to -- we could, in theory at least, change
      our diets to include foods that combat those ailments, a Canadian study
      "In the future, we may choose a breakfast cereal based on our genes," said
      Dr. Peter Singer, director of the Joint Center for Bioethics at the
      University of Toronto.
      "It is hypothetical, but possible, that if you have a particular gene you
      eat honey nut cereal to reduce your chance of heart disease, or, if you have
      another gene, you take the raisin bran to cut your chance of prostate
      But the benefits of dining your way to genetic health -- the science of
      nutritional genomics -- or nutrigenomics -- also comes with a downside, the
      study cautions.
      More...from Reuters at:

      19. Knee pain:
      Knee pain can be caused by inflammation of the knee tendon in the region
      just below the knee cap (patella). This is called patella tendonitis.
      Pain and/or aching with possible swelling in the area just below the knee
      Pain to put pressure onto the area and when tightening the muscles of the
      front of the thigh.
      Pain as the foot hits the ground when running.
      Possible pain when sitting for long periods with the knee bent.
      The most common causes of pain in this area are:
      training errors which result in an overload of stress
      faults in foot/leg movement (biomechanics)
      spinal problems causing muscle movement to be restricted
      tight muscles or imbalance
      weakness or poor development of certain muscles.
      More...from TimeOutdoors at:

      From Running Times:
      As the weather gets colder, and we head out for long winter base-building
      runs, we need to eat to support what we're asking our bodies to do, says
      nutritionist Suzanne Girard Eberle, author of Endurance Sports Nutrition.
      "Mom's advice to have a bowl of stick-to-your ribs oatmeal before you head
      out into the snow makes a lot of sense, not because the temperature has
      dropped (you can compensate by dressing appropriately), but because you're
      less efficient moving over slippery surfaces. In other words, you expend
      more energy (calories) performing most outdoor activities in a snowy climate
      as compared to a temperate climate." Eberle offers these guidelines:
      1) Rise and dine: fuel up before you set out.
      2) Drink before you're thirsty: We tend to feel less thirsty in cold
      3) Feed the furnace: shovel in the carbohydrates while on the move to keep
      your tank full and your blood sugar constant. You'll be able to handle the
      cold better.
      4) Mind your iron stores: Researchers have found that iron-deficient women
      were able to produce heat but had difficulty retaining it to maintain their
      body temperature.

      Avoiding Calf Cramps in the Marathon:
      Have a marathon coming up and worrying about cramps in the later miles,
      particularly in the calves? Dr. Cathy Fieseler offers the following advice:
      First, with cramping in the calves I would definitely check my shoes. You
      may be wearing a shoe that does not give enough protection. The other and
      probably the most likely thing to look at is pace. If you often run to the
      16 to 20 mile range fine and then die, you are probably setting out with the
      wrong strategy. The body functions much better running at an effort that
      you can carry throughout or even pick up and run negative splits. With many
      of my athletes we set up a mile by mile strategy with the fastest pace they
      can go for each stretch continually reinforced into their mind. For
      instance, if I have an athlete trying to break three hours, they would first
      have done the preparation to tell us they were ready for that goal. Then we
      would set up a strategy something like this:
      Miles --
      1 to 3 (or possibly even 5 depending on what their body is telling them) =
      no faster than seven minute pace.
      3 (or 5) to 16-18 = just under sevens depending on terrain, wind, whatever,
      absolutely no faster than 6:50 no matter how good they feel.
      Somewhere after 16 to 18 the athlete should have a good idea of what they
      can do to the finish and they should settle into that pace. If we
      accurately judged the athlete's fitness level and the course and weather
      conditions are in our favor they should be able to hold or even pick up the
      REMEMBER you do not put money in the bank with a marathon, if you go out
      even a few seconds too fast it will come back to haunt you in the later
      One other suggestion is to make sure you stay hydrated, starting before you
      feel thirsty.

      21. Jim Spivy - 3:50 Miler:
      Oslo, Norway, July 6, 1991--Jim Spivey runs 3:49.83 to take 3rd in the mile
      at the famed Bislett Games. The first sub-3:50 ever run by an American had
      been produced by Steve Scott in July of '81; in the next decade there would
      be 15 more. Who would have thought that Spivey's 3:49.83--the second
      sub-3:50 of his career--would be the last one in a drought that has now
      extended to 12 years?
      A poster to our Message Board said, in response to a newspaper article about
      Spivey, "A sub-3:50 miler should be a millionaire judging by the American
      athletic payscale... Spivey has done something only three other Americans
      have ever done and yet he can walk around almost unnoticed."
      Spivey, now the cross country coach at Vanderbilt, picked up on the thread,
      and also started another relative to his spectacular miling career. Here we
      have taken his three postings and edited them into one cohesive piece that's
      full of motivation;
      More...from Track and Field News at:

      22. The tactical art of triathlon:
      If you look closely, you can find the secrets to age-group glory in unlikely
      Some triathletes prefer to sit in and kick late. Others are unabashed
      frontrunners who want no company from their age-group rivals. A few simply
      hope that they can hang on to the pace long enough to stay in the race. The
      perfect race can sometimes be an elusive cocktail of fitness and strategy.
      Blend the ingredients correctly and your performance can be truly memorable,
      but if you get one of those elements wrong, the bitter taste of a race gone
      sour can linger.
      Never is the recipe for a successful finish the same for each race. As
      triathletes, we have to formulate our race plans to take into account our
      rivals, the weather, the course and the distances. We all know athletes who
      had the fitness to do well but made poor tactical decisions in key areas
      such as tapering or pacing and underachieved.
      More...from Inside Triathlon at:

      23. From Runner's World:
      Race Right: "Race by the season and run races often at certain times of
      year, and rebuild endurance and enthusiasm in the off-season. Race shorter
      than your main distance to build speed at half that distance; a half-mile
      for a miler, 5-K for a 10-K runner, and a half-marathon for a
      marathoner." -Joe Henderson

      Strength training, done properly, can improve your running and help prevent
      injuries. A good way to build strength without bulk is to lift lighter
      weights with more repetitions. Select a weight you can lift for 8 to 12
      repetitions before tiring. Lift slowly to a count of four, and lower to a
      count of six. Exhale as you lift, and inhale as you lower. Do the exercises
      2 days a week after you run, and allow at least 2 days of rest before
      lifting again.
      Leg extension: Sit in the leg-extension machine, and raise the weight until
      your legs are extended straight, being careful not to lock your knees.
      Leg curl: Lie on the leg-curl machine (stomach down) with the bar of the
      machine just above your heel. Push against the bar, curling your heels
      toward your buttocks
      Calf press: Using the leg-press machine, place your toes and the balls of
      your feet on the edge of the platform. Keep your legs straight, and push the
      platform by extending your feet. Then slowly return feet to the starting
      position, keeping legs extended. Don't bounce the weight.

      Fruit is nature's own sugary delight bursting with nutrients like potassium,
      vitamin C, beta-carotene, fiber and energizing carbohydrates. Fruit's sweet
      taste comes from fructose, which is actually sweeter-tasting than table
      sugar. Riper fruits typically have more sugar, so they may be more
      satisfying to your sweet tooth. You can also doctor up fruits to make them
      more enticing. Try dipping strawberries and other bite-size pieces of fruit
      in vanilla yogurt or chocolate syrup.

      Kodak Moment: "Practice visualizing that finish-line photo. You know, the
      one where you're bursting across the line, with arms outstretched, face
      beaming. This kind of psychological game can make training runs more
      enjoyable and help enormously in that final stretch with mental toughness."
      -Bob Wischnia, RW deputy editor

      24. Age, exercise may boost memory:
      One study found physical differences between the brains of those who work
      out and those who don't.
      "You're not getting older, you're getting better." New research shows this
      traditional compliment may be true when it comes to memory, especially for
      someone who stays in shape.
      Recent studies indicate that a simple exercise routine helps put the brakes
      on memory loss. And one aspect of memory automatically improves with age,
      according to a new book.
      Like body, like mind
      What you do to improve your physical health may actually go to your head,
      according to Dr. Antonio Convit of the New York University School of
      "We thought that we were born with a brain and that brain degenerated as we
      aged until we died," he says. "Now we know that there are many triggers that
      make parts of the brain regenerate themselves."
      More...from CNN at:

      25. Latest Research Review - From SportsInjuryClinic.net
      Road runners are more likely to suffer stress fractures of the tibia (lower
      leg) than treadmill runners.
      A recent study into the strain placed on the tibia bone when running both
      overground and on a treadmill concluded that treadmill runners where at a
      lower risk of developing stress fractures than overground runners but also
      less likely to gain the benefit of bone strengthening than overground
      runners. So for recreational, non competitive runners the treadmill may be
      preferable for avoiding stress fractures and osteoarthritis of the knee. But
      for maintaining and developing bone strength and mass overground running may
      be preferable.
      The study was done by Dr. Milgrom at the department of Orthopaedics in
      Jerusalem, Israel. A strain gauge was surgically implanted onto the tibias
      of three subjects and the strain measured during overground (asphalt) and
      treadmill running at 11 Km/hr.

      Exercise addiction in women?
      Fifty six adult female exercisers were interviewed about their exercise
      behaviour and attitudes with a view to formulating diagnostic criteria for
      exercise dependence.
      Two diagnostic criteria emerged; impaired functioning and withdrawal.
      Impaired functioning manifested in four areas, psychological, social /
      occupational, physical, and behavioural. Impairment in two of these was
      required for a diagnosis.
      Withdrawal was evident as either an adverse reaction to the interruption of
      exercise, or unsuccessful attempts to control exercise behaviour. Either
      were OK for a diagnosis to exist. In the study, 10 women met these criteria,
      all 10 also showed signs of eating disorders. Those that also had an eating
      disorder were classed as secondary dependant on exercise rather than primary
      exercise dependence.
      Study from Cambridge University, UK.

      This Weeks Events:

      October 31 - November 9, 2003:
      Australian Masters Games - Canberra, Australia
      Visit our Upcoming page for more race listings at:

      *Please verify event dates with the event websites*

      November 8, 2003:
      Food World Senior Bowl Charity Run 10K - Mobile, AL

      Ironman Florida - Panama City, FL

      San Diego 24 Hour Run - CA
      *USA Open and Masters Championship

      November 8 - 9, 2003:
      OSIM Singapore Triathlon

      November 9, 2003:
      Hainan Discovery Triathlon - China

      Rio ITU World Cup - Brazil

      Singapore ITU Triathlon - Singapore

      Tokyo ITU International Triathlon - Japan

      This Weeks Personal Postings/Releases:
      We have NO personal postings this week.

      Television and Online Coverage:
      [Check local listings as event times are subject to change]

      Check out our new Runner's Web Television Links page at:

      Send this to a Friend:
      Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they
      subscribe at:

      Your Feedback and Comments:
      Comments, contributions and feedback are always welcome via this list
      at: mailto:runnersweb@yahoogroups.com and in our Runner's Web Forum or
      Guest Book, available off our FrontPage. If you post to the mailing list
      and get your email returned, please contact the Runner's Web at
      mailto:runnersweb@... to notify us of the problem. To update your
      Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the web site at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RunnersWeb/join, sign in and update your

      Joint the Journey to Athens. Support the fundraising drive for Canadian

      Ken Parker
      Runner's Web
      runnersweb@... <mailto:webmster@...>