Runner's Web Digest - September 5, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2003
      Runner's Web Digest - September 5, 2003

      The opinions expressed in the articles referenced by the Digest are the
      opinions of the writers and not the Runner's Web

      Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html
      The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out our daily news
      features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more.

      For new subscribers:
      If you have any questions regarding the options available for receiving
      this digest, please do NOT email the list, rather email me directly at
      mailto:RunnersWeb@...

      This newsletter has been composed using Outlook set to text format. The
      Runner's Web Digest is a weekly digest of information on running,
      triathlons and multisport activities. It is sent via an email list at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/ which allows all users to communicate with
      everyone on the list.

      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for
      viruses. Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor (me) prior
      to being released to the group.

      NOTE********************************************************************
      [ Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two
      lines. If you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you paste
      the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or
      another appropriate suffix ]

      References/URLs:
      Most references in the digest which do not have a specific URL listed
      here are available from the Runner's Web FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html
      Also, if have email software that does not read HTML, all links
      contained in the Digest are available from the Runner's Web Site or from
      me.
      All URLs listed here have been verified as of the Digest publication
      date. It is possible that the site may have archived or deleted the page
      after publication.
      If you are unable to reach a URL listed here, ensure that you are using
      the entire URL (see above).
      If you still cannot reach the site, please email me at
      mailto:runnersweb@... and I will try to track it down.

      Note: Some sites require free registration.

      New This Week:

      This Issue's Article Index:

      1. The Next Fitness Wave
      2. High Protein Diets Don't Deliver for Athletes
      3. Training To Prevent Injury
      4. Exercise gurus work at their staying power
      5. From Runner's World
      6. How high is your blood pressure
      7. Mastering sports nutrition: Tips for older athletes
      8. The Endorphinless Runner's Low
      9. Munich Olympics - 30 Years Later
      Seven medals and world records made Mark Spitz an icon, and today he is still swimming's giant
      10. Drinking to health
      11. Find Out Where Your Fat Is with New Scanner
      12. Muscular coordination during treadmill running
      13. Balance
      Most of life's worthwhile notions exist in tension with an offsetting idea.
      14. Training Plan Principles
      15. How important is the heart rate of people who exercise?
      16. Study: 1 hour of exercise a week cuts hypertension
      17. The Simple Answer for Defying Age - Exercise
      18. Weight training - How and why
      19. 10 Surefire Ways To Get Faster:
      20. Exercise Testing Predicts Heart Death
      21. U.S. Athletes Getting Superbug Skin Infections
      22. Runner's Knee
      23. A Race Director's Nightmare
      24. Yoga boom sparks injury worries
      25. Breathing 101: Increase your efficiency for better oxygen uptake

      The winner of our September Pegasus Quiz was
      Tom Raunig of Missoula, MT who identified the photo as that of Kajsa Bergqvist of Sweden.
      He wins a copy of Pegasus Software's RunLog.
      Check out their site at:
      http://www.pegasussoftware.com/runlog/

      Traffic continues to grow on the Runner's Web site. In August we had 53,078 page views on our FrontPage. This was the highest monthly total for the year except for May (54,483) which was National Capital Marathon month and traditionally brings a surge in traffic.

      Our resident massage therapist, Tracy Montgomery,
      is still soliciting questions on sports injuries and treatment for her
      column at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/tm_columns.html

      We have NO personal postings this week.
      Personal Postings, when available, are located after the Upcoming Section
      towards the bottom of the newsletter.

      This week's poll is: "What percentage of athletes who use drugs get caught?"

      Cast your vote at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html
      Post your views in our Forum at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/runnersweb_forum.html
      [Free Registration Required]

      The previous poll was: "Did miler Alan Webb make the right decision in turning professional?"
      The results at publication time were:
      No 32
      Yes 12
      No opinion, don't care... 12
      Total Votes: 56

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage as well as voting on and/or
      checking the results of previous polls.

      Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they
      subscribe at:

      Book(s) of the Week: The Silence of Great Distance: Women Running Long.
      This book has two levels to it, the first being a historical review of the sport of women's distance running. The real gold here is however what insight is revealed in following the career of Stephanie Herbst during her career at the University of Wisconsin. The dedication and motivation of Ms Herbst and others like her and the dangers of both external and internally generated pressure to perform are an eye opener. The last few chapters especially are extremely powerful.
      Buy the book at:
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0962924326/runnersweb/104-3981810-4882304

      Finally a book dedicated to training the female athlete!
      Introducing the "best-selling" book for conditioning the female athlete. Secrets of Female Strength and Conditioning includes the information you need in order to understand the science of athletic performance, including:
      Sports Nutrition for females
      Effective speed, strength and agility programs
      Cutting-Edge Sport-specific training
      Functional athletic conditioning for females
      Training methods to:
      Reduce injury
      Build strength
      Get faster
      Improve core stability
      Secrets of Female Strength and Conditioning contains more secrets and insider tips for training the female athlete than you'll find anywhere else. It's the number one resource for coaches, athletes, and any woman wanting to get fit!
      Buy the book at:
      http://hop.clickbank.net/hop.cgi?runnersweb/vjump

      If you feel you have something to say that is worthy of a Guest Column
      on the Runner's Web, email us at
      mailto:RunnersWeb@...
      or leave your comments in one of our Forums available from our FrontPage.

      Our Photo Slideshow is updated on a random basis. Check it out from our
      FrontPage.

      The FiveStar Site of the Week: UK Sport.
      UK Sport's purpose is to lead the UK to sporting excellence by supporting:
      - winning athletes
      - world class events
      - ethically fair and drug-free sport

      Our aim is that the UK will be in the world's top five sporting nations by 2012, measured by athlete performances at World Championships, Olympic and Paralympic Games.
      Winning athletes:
      UK Sport invests approximately £25million of Lottery funding each year in the country's top sportsmen and women through the World Class Performance Programme.
      In addition, the UK Sports Institute delivers tailored solutions to meet the individual needs of sports, athletes and partner organisations.
      Check out the site at: http://www.uksport.gov.uk/

      Send us your suggestions for our Five Star site. Please check our list
      of previous Five Star Sites available from the Five Star Window under
      the link "Previous Five Star Sites" as we do not wish to repeat a site
      unless it has undergone a major redesign.

      Be sure to check out our Flash Page where we list all recent additions
      to the Runner's Web. This page is updated before Monday morning each
      week.

      This Weeks News:

      1. The Next Fitness Wave:
      For 20 years, Harvey Lauer has tracked fitness trends under the aegis of American Sports Data, a three-man operation he heads out of Hartsdale, N.Y. A psychology graduate who studied public opinion research under social psychologist Daniel Yankelovich, Lauer boasts a client list that includes such heavyweights as 3M, the University Notre Dame, Nike and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
      What's the fitness trend no one saw coming?
      Older people exercising. The 55-plus age group is the most fitness-conscious demographic in America right now. Older people are adopting programs that fit their capabilities: fitness walking, stationary cycling, stretching and flexibility exercises and hand weights.
      What's the biggest change you've seen in fitness?
      Acceptance. When I started running, in the late '70s, during the first wave of the fitness boom, if you saw someone running fast -- wearing what my mother would call "their underwear" -- you would call the police. Today it's an accepted sight. More than 80 percent of Americans feel physical exercise is important -- although only about 20 percent get enough [of it].
      More...from the Washington Post at:
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A45139-2003Aug25.html

      2. High Protein Diets Don't Deliver for Athletes:
      Many of today's athletes are confused about the role of carbohydrate versus protein in their diets. They incorrectly believe that carbohydrates are bad because they stimulate insulin which, in turn, might make them fat. They believe they should avoid carbohydrates and instead, consider protein as the most important nutrient in helping them build and maintain muscles.
      Their beliefs are strengthened by articles and advertisements in popular health and fitness magazines touting "carb-free" energy drinks, "zero-carb" energy bars and "low carb" nutrition shakes.
      This article will explore each of the above statements and reveal that, although confusion abounds about the value of carbohydrates in the diet, it is an essential nutrient for athletes.
      Myth: Carbohydrates are bad
      It is tempting to label nutrients as good or bad, but both carbohydrate and protein are critical to good health and exercise performance. The key is that they perform different roles and one cannot substitute for the other.
      Carbohydrate is indispensable for training and competing and is the preferred fuel for working muscle. It:
      - Yields more energy for muscular work than protein or fat.
      - Provides energy more rapidly to working muscles than protein or fat
      - Is the only fuel that can be used anaerobically or without oxygen.
      More...from GSSIWeb at:
      http://www.gssiweb.com/reflib/refs/607/highprotein.cfm?pid=96

      3. Training to Prevent Injury
      Good Conditioning Programs Focus on Improvement and Injury Prevention
      With the end of the summer steadily approaching, fall sports programs have already begun their conditioning programs. A good conditioning program will focus mainly on improvement and injury prevention. This will consist mainly of a mix of aerobic endurance, muscular endurance, muscular strength, increased flexibility, sports specific drills, and evaluation for biomechanical imbalances.
      Aerobic endurance training focuses on increasing the ability to maintain activity in an aerobic state: i.e. the ability to carry on a conversation while exercising. The length of activity can vary for different sports but the concept remains the same. This type of training's main point is to increase the aerobic capacity on a cellular level. Your potential is based upon your mother's cellular hardware and is genetically predetermined. This type of training can be enhanced by the use of periodization, the gradual increase in training and acclimatization to forces based upon heart rate and effort level.
      Muscular endurance focuses on how many times a muscle can contract before fatiguing. This is important in preventing injury due to the fact that the muscles resting tone is supportive and protective of the locomotor system. Exercises that enhance the sports specific range of motion are beneficial in increasing both the neuromuscular pathway of the motion and the actual fatigue level of the muscle.
      More...from Transition Times at:
      http://www.transitiontimes.com/viewstory.cfm?ID=2932

      4. Exercise gurus work at their staying power
      Those who've made it keep up with trends to give their products an
      innovative edge.
      When it comes to fitness gurus, it seems we like them on the seasoned side.
      Check a top fitness video list, and you'll see plenty of familiar faces who
      are pushing or past the half-century mark: perky Denise Austin, buff Billy
      Blanks, agile Karen Voight, vivacious Leslie Sansone.
      These experts have achieved superstar rank. Their multi-market ventures
      include successful books and videos that cover a range of exercise programs
      and styles, exercise-related products they've either designed or endorsed,
      frequent appearances in fitness magazines and television shows and name
      recognition outside the fitness realm.
      Fitness is often marketed and perceived as a young person's pursuit: Witness
      the plethora of health club commercials and exercise product infomercials
      featuring buff 20-year-old fitness models plus the scores of under-30
      personal trainers who populate almost every gym. On the surface, this may
      seem anomalous. But someone is keeping the pros high on the charts, and it's
      not just flab-conscious baby boomers; it's also men and women young enough
      to be their kids.
      More...from the LA Times at:
      http://www.latimes.com/features/health/fitness/la-he-bodywork1sep01,1,3807163.story?coll=la-health-fitness-news
      [Long URL]

      5. From Runner's World:
      Try a Solo Flight: Every few days, run solo. Solo running allows you to relax and de-stress. You don't have to worry about anyone else, so you feel in control of the workout. It's easy to adjust your goals and expectations up or down. This sense of freedom releases your mind and body. -Jeff Galloway

      Downhill Caution: Downhills are more likely to cause injury than uphills since the body absorbs more shock on impact. Braking may cause the muscles along the back of the legs and in your back to fight against gravity, causing additional stress. To minimize shock, run hitting lightly on the ball of your foot and then the heel, rather than hard on the heel. -Bob Glover

      Protein Power: Taking in protein immediately after strength training may help you increase your muscle mass. Snacks like low-fat yogurt, eggs and protein bars are good choices.

      6. How high is your blood pressure:
      Stay healthy by following latest guidelines.
      Elevated blood pressure or hypertension -- the abnormally high rate at which blood is forced against the wall of the arteries -- has typically been one of the easier doctor messages for a patient to brush aside.
      But doctors say that those with high blood pressure are at far greater risk for strokes, heart attacks and kidney disease. The higher your blood pressure, the harder your heart is working and the more likely your arteries may harden.
      "I call it the greatest silent killer in the world," ' says Dr. Afshine Emrani, a cardiologist at Encino Tarzana Regional Medical Center. "The disease is so common that it's gotten past the eyes of physicians as an epidemic.''
      Not that anybody in the medical profession is ignoring the prevention or treatment of high blood pressure. Quite the opposite. In May, the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute -- a division of the National Institutes of Health -- released a new set of clinical guidelines for the prevention, detection and treatment of high blood pressure.
      More...from the LA Dailey News at:
      http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~24079~1603247,00.html

      7. Mastering sports nutrition - Tips for older athletes:
      One hundred years ago, life expectancy was 42 years. Today, most of us will live twice as long.
      With age, we gain not only wrinkles and gray hair, but also wisdom, an appreciation for our mortality and the desire to protect our good health.
      If you are a master's athlete, you also have the desire to remain competitive. You may wonder if you have significantly different sports nutrition needs from younger athletes.
      To date, the research suggests older athletes have no significantly different nutritional needs other than to optimize their sports diet so they'll have every possible edge over the younger folks.
      More...from Active.com at:
      http://active.com/story.cfm?story_id=10164&sidebar=17&category=activeusahomepage

      8. The Endorphinless Runner's Low:
      From I Run, Therefore I am--Nuts! by Bob Schwartz
      I've been fairly lucky throughout my running years (knock on the bottle of anti-inflammatories) that I've been able to avoid a major injury. You know, the one that turns a suddenly sidelined runner into a foaming Neanderthal because he can't get his daily dosage of endorphins.
      Unfortunately, I recently became part of that contemptible club, with the required entry being one or more consecutive months off from running because of an injury. I wish I had some battle-produced reason like having suffered a stress fracture in my foot after running 180 miles per week for 10 consecutive weeks, or having injured my Achilles tendon on my 74th consecutive 400-meter repeat. That would have gotten a "Whoa, Nellie!" but, alas, my reason gets a "Yo, idiot."
      My less-than-awe-invoking excuse was to pull a hamstring playing basketball. I know. What's a runner doing playing with those weekend warriors who are otherwise known as the gang of anterior-cruciate-ligament-tears-waiting-to-happen?
      The truth is that I've always played basketball, despite the fact long-distance runners usually can't jump up to the curb even with a sprinting start. I'm lucky if when I "sky," someone is able to insert a 3 x 5 card under my Air Jordans. I mean the flat way. Not vertical. Just like me. My scouting report would read, Great stamina, no spring.
      More...from Human Kinetics at:
      http://www.humankinetics.com/products/showexcerpt.cfm?excerpt_id=2974

      9. Munich Olympics - 30 Years Later:
      Golden Shadow.
      Seven medals and world records made Mark Spitz an icon, and today he is still swimming's giant.
      Mark Spitz was a '70s icon, and if you remember much about that decade's pop culture, he was one of the decade's two poster children. The other was Farrah Fawcett. Both were clad in swimsuits, only Spitz accessorized his with seven gold medals.
      It was about the hair too.
      She had the hair. He had the hair, and the well-coifed mustache. His poster remains the best-selling Olympic keepsake. Bruce and Mary Lou, get in line.
      "I can't think of any athlete in any sport 30 years after their prime who is still the No. 1 in their sport," said John Naber, who won four gold medals and a silver in the 1976 Olympics. "If you went up to 100 strangers in a supermarket, and asked about an Olympic swimmer, 99% of them will name Mark Spitz, if not 100.
      "Joe Montana's name will not come up 99%. [Michael] Jordan, give him another 10 years. Tiger Woods, in 30 years, will not be the name on everyone's mouth. Mark Spitz is the ultimate name in swimming.
      "Everybody loves the number seven."
      More...from the LA Times at:
      http://www.latimes.com/sports/other/la-sp-nuspitz04sep04,1,3863310.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-other

      10. Drinking to health:
      Regular alcohol intake, thought to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, is associated with lower prevalence of metabolic syndrome, reported Greek researchers at the European Society of Cardiology meeting earlier this week.
      But drinking larger quantities of alcohol raises the risk of the syndrome, a condition that promotes atherosclerosis and increases the risk of cardiovascular events, said the researchers. Prevalence of metabolic syndrome is thought to be influenced by several dietary habits.
      The debate on alcohol's health benefits, and risks, continues to gain momentum, with a US researcher this week rubbishing the theory that drinking can improve cognition in the elderly.
      Observational studies show that light to moderate alcohol consumption is associated with lower risk of heart attack and cardiovascular death while heavier alcohol consumption is associated with no change or even an increase in coronary risk. However the association between alcohol consumption and the development of coronary heart disease is not fully understood.
      More...from Food Navigator at:
      http://www.foodnavigator.com/news/news.asp?id=8265

      11. Find Out Where Your Fat Is with New Scanner:
      You could soon go to the gym, step in front of a scanner and find out exactly where the fat needs to come off.
      All you have to do is stand still for 30 seconds as the machine measures your body fat. It will tell you where you need to lose weight and even suggest the best exercises.
      The scanner works by simultaneously building up a 3-D image of the body while measuring the body's effect on an electromagnetic field.
      "The smart thing is that we've put them in one machine," Henri Tapp at the Institute of Food Research in Norwich, eastern England, told New Scientist magazine.
      More...from Reuters at:
      http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=healthNews&storyID=3381724

      12. Muscular coordination during treadmill running:
      In this study, lower extremity kinematics and electromyography (EMG) from eight muscles were examined in high speed treadmill running in both incline and level conditions. Electromyography has been useful in comparing muscular activity among different movements. The electromyography patterns of lower extremity muscles have been well documented for treadmill running both on the level and at moderate grades. Recent sprint training regimens have included high speed treadmill running at grades of over 30%. A main goal of these training protocols is to develop muscular power during both stance and recovery phases of the sprinting cycle. The purpose of this study was to compare the joint kinematics and muscle activity of the lower extremity during high speed incline treadmill running at 4.5 m/s and 30% grade with level running at either the same speed or the same stride frequency.
      More...from Run the Planet at:
      http://www.runtheplanet.com/pages/refer/articles/treadmill.php

      13. Balance:
      By Alison Colavecchia
      Most of my swims, bikes and runs are there for health, fitness and fun. Now and then, though, I have a need for a workout or race that is gruelling-nothing epic, just a step up from the usual.
      A couple of years ago I read a bio for one of the women entered in the Badwater Ultra who described her Badwater pursuit, indeed all of her ultra running, as an injection of suffering that, in her view, compensated in a small way for all her privilege. At first this struck me as odd. I have since come to better appreciate it. In Rohinton Mistry's book A Fine Balance, one of the main characters has a crise de coeur. He comes to see his own life of privilege through the eyes of friends who are materially impoverished, have endured unspeakable suffering, and yet are capable of finding some joy in the most unlikely of places. In his shame, he seeks out his own balance.
      More...from Slowtwitch.com at:
      http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/beginner/balance.html

      14. Training Plan Principles:
      Using a training plan maximises the effectiveness of your training and ensures you get the best results from it. This article explains the thinking behind the plans.
      Benefits
      Following a training plan has these benefits:
      it will keep you fit and ensure you achieve your goals for racing
      the varied sessions ensure you train to improve the elements of fitness relevant to your race distance, e.g. speed for 5K, endurance for marathon
      it helps identify areas of weakness to focus on and strength to consolidate, through a properly balanced programme
      it reduces the likelihood of injury by ensuring an optimum amount of over-training and recovery
      seeing your progress is motivation to help maintain a running routine
      it will sharpen your performance in preparation for your best race.
      Many athletes follow an annual training plan to maximise the returns they get from their training. This can be quite complex to put together and involves identifying and planning a whole year of training for a particular race e.g. a major race like the London marathon, Great North run or even a world championships. Some Olympic hopefuls even follow a four year plan to take them through to the next Olympics!
      More...from TimeOutdoors at:
      http://www.timeoutdoors.com/Run/training/4RUNMRS01031501E.htm

      15. How important is the heart rate of people who exercise?
      I've read articles about heart rates of active and inactive people, but they seem to have major flaws. One claimed that because active peoples' resting rate is so much lower their total heart beats per day is much less. The calculation used a higher rate for an exercise period of 40 minutes per day, and a lower rate for the rest of the day.
      This seems to forget that heart rate doesn't switch from high to low without a transition. Also, active and inactive people do other things during the day that raise their heart rates.
      How important is the heart rate of people who exercise?
      Answer
      The article's conclusion is correct although any estimates can only be approximations. The average person circulates about 4.9 liters (nearly five quarts) of blood per minute. With each beat your heart pumps about 70 milliliters (half a cup) of blood.
      More...from Active.com at:
      http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=10192&sidebar=13&category=running

      16. Study: 1 hour of exercise a week cuts hypertension:
      It only takes 60 to 90 minutes of exercise a week to significantly lower blood pressure, Japanese researchers reported on Thursday.
      That amount of aerobic exercise spread out over a week reduced systolic blood pressure -- the top number on a blood pressure reading -- an average of 12 points and the lower or diastolic reading by 8 points, the researchers found.
      Doctors consider optimal blood pressure to be 120/80 or lower.
      "This study confirms the importance of exercise," Dr. Michael Weber, an editor at the American Journal of Hypertension, which published the study, said in a statement. "The investigators found a person does not have to spend great amounts of time working out."
      More...from CNN at:
      http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/diet.fitness/08/29/exercise.bp.reut/index.html

      17. The Simple Answer for Defying Age: Exercise:
      Getting the blood pumping regularly can help keep both your body and mind stronger.
      If there is one single thing you can do to slow the aging process and feel good, experts agree, it is to keep the body moving.
      "We say exercise, instead of just adding years to life, it adds life to years," said Wojtek Chodzko-Zajko, head of kinesiology at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
      Actually, studies show it does both. A landmark 1995 study of 9,777 men ages 20-82 found that physically unfit men who became fit had death rates 44 percent lower than those who remained unfit. In fact, experts are coming to see that much of what had been regarded as "natural aging" is actually deterioration from lack of use.
      "Aging for most people is inactivity," Chodzko-Zajko said. Experts' thinking about muscle strength has "changed 180 degrees," he said. A few years ago it was considered normal for older people to lose significant muscle mass, to the point that walking or lifting ordinary objects was out of reach.
      More...from Newsday at:
      http://www.newsday.com/news/health/ny-hsphys3419251aug19,0,346004.story?coll=ny-health-headlines
      [Long URL]

      18. Weight training - How and why:
      When it comes to fitness, investing in a set of weights may pay dividends just as great as those gained with a pair of walking or running shoes.
      How can this be? As you grow older, your muscle fibers shrink in number and in size. They also become less responsive to messages from the central nervous system. Together, these factors contribute to decreases in strength, balance and coordination.
      Weight training - a form of strength training - can slow and even reverse the declines in strength, bone density and muscle mass that accompany aging. The American College of Sports Medicine recommends weight training for people over 50 in addition to aerobic activity and stretching.
      "Generally, sedentary people can lose up to 10 percent of their lean muscle mass each decade after age 30," says Edward Laskowski, M.D., a physical medicine and rehabilitation specialist and co-director of the Sports Medicine Center at Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.
      "If you don't do anything to replace that loss, you're losing muscle and increasing fat," says Dr. Laskowski. "But if you do weight training, you can preserve and enhance your muscle mass. It's like having a V-8 engine instead of a 4-cylinder. You have a bigger engine to burn more calories because it takes calories to keep that engine running."
      Aerobic exercises like running, walking and bicycling strengthen your heart - also a muscle - by forcing it to adapt to the stress in a positive way. Similarly, weight training, done properly, challenges other muscles by forcing them to adapt to the stress and become stronger.
      More...from MayoClinic.com at:
      http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?objectid=ADFA9F13-2B2C-46FF-AF328D2782CAF854

      19. 10 Surefire Ways To Get Faster:
      Improve your health and get faster.
      By Jason Gootman, MS, CSCS & Will Kirousis, BS, CSCS
      USA Triathlon and USA Cycling Certified Coaches
      Tri-Hard Sports Conditioning Systems
      www.tri-hard.com
      Magazines and websites are loaded with dazzling workouts, special foods or dietary supplements, and the latest technological innovations all promising faster performances. Here are ten suggestions based on science, experience, and most of all common sense that will improve your health and will make you faster.
      10. Sleep more.
      Sleep is our body's major daily rejuvenation process. Adequate amounts of quality sleep are essential to improving your performance. In our busy world, sleep is often the first thing to go. It cannot be this way if you value your health and if you desire to improve as an athlete. Eight hours of sleep should be the minimum. Nine to ten is not unreasonable. This is usually possible if you can commit to getting to bed say a half an hour or so earlier each night. If you are going to commit to all the training, you owe it to yourself to commit to the sleep. You can't have one without the other.
      9. Eat real food.
      Real, clean, whole, unprocessed food is packed with the nutrients your body needs to fuel your workouts and complete the ongoing process of tissue repair and replacement. The less food has gone through before it goes through you, the better it is. Aim for plenty of fresh vegetables, fruits, meats, fish, eggs, nuts, and seeds. Avoid highly refined foods especially foods prepared with hydrogentated oils and highly refined grain products. Also, use sports supplement foods as they were intended-as supplements-not as your primary source of energy and nutrients. Don't laugh; we've seen it done.
      More...from Transition Times at:
      http://www.transitiontimes.com/viewstory.cfm?ID=3083

      20. Exercise Testing Predicts Heart Death:
      Exercise testing not only helps predict a person's risk of death, but it can also help rule out those who don't require aggressive treatment for cardiovascular disease, a study says.
      The stress test is a good gauge independent of another test, angiography, which looks for diseased arteries, the study says.
      "We found that cardiac exercise testing is a good predictor of death. It is also a very good predictor of people at low risk who do not need aggressive treatment," says Dr. Michael S. Lauer, a cardiologist with the Cleveland Clinic Foundation.
      Lauer and his colleagues collected data on 2,935 patients suspected of having heart disease. The patients underwent exercise testing followed by an angiogram. The results appear in the current issue of the Journal of the American College of Cardiology.
      More...from Yahoo at:
      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=97&ncid=751&e=6&u=/hsn/20030905/hl_hsn/exercisetestingpredictsheartdeath

      21. U.S. Athletes Getting Superbug Skin Infections:
      NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Skin and soft tissue infections due to antibiotic-resistant staph appear to be a growing problem among competitive athletes in the U.S., according to a report released on Thursday by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
      Despite this worrisome trend, there are several measures that can be taken to prevent skin infections in sports participants, CDC officials note. Among the most important is ensuring that all wounds are effectively covered.
      CDC investigators summarize several outbreaks of so-called "methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus" (MRSA) infections that took place among athletes in the US between 2000 and 2003.
      More...from Medline Plus at:
      http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_13752.html

      22. Runner's Knee:
      (Inflammation of the Illio-tibial band -ITB)
      What is Runners Knee?
      The Illio-tibial band runs down the outside of the thigh. If this becomes tight the tendon starts to rub on the bone at the knee. Eventually this will become inflamed until running becomes very painful. If you rest, the inflammation dies down but when you start to run again, because the band is tight the tendon will once again become inflamed.
      Any treatment must be done in conjunction with stretching of the ITB.Sports massage can be particularly helpful for this condition.
      More...from SportsInjuryClinic.net at:
      http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/knee/irunnersknee.html

      23. A Race Director's Nightmare:
      Doubt over events after cycle verdict.
      Sports bodies are considering stopping some events, after the landmark prosecution of Le Race director Astrid Andersen.
      "It has made a lot of people really scared about what this could mean for the future," said former Christchurch City to Surf organiser Sarah Stewart.
      After almost two days of deliberations, a Christchurch District Court jury decided on Saturday that Andersen, aged 43, was guilty of criminal nuisance as organiser of the March 2001 Le Race cycle race, in which Vanessa Caldwell died after a head-on collision with a car while overtaking on a blind corner.
      There were gasps in the court as the verdict was read out, and tears from Mrs Caldwell's family.
      Andersen, who has been remanded on bail for sentence on August 29, is a high-profile Christchurch events organiser.
      More...from CoolRunning Australia at:
      http://www.coolrunning.com.au/editorials/2003/2003e008.shtml

      24. Yoga boom sparks injury worries:
      The ancient Indian practice of yoga is booming in today's Western societies, sparking fears that ill-qualified teachers could be causing more harm than good.
      While nobody doubts the correct practice of yoga can provide many physical and mental health benefits, its popularity is creating a shortage of appropriately qualified teachers.
      "Anyone can set up a yoga and pilates class and they don't have to have any prior qualification. That's why it's really important to ask about a teacher's qualification before they start a class," Emma Copeland, from Britain's Consumer Association tells CNN.
      "We'd say several years is a good measure. If someone has just gone on a weekend course or a short course to teach pilates or yoga, it is not enough."
      More...from CNN at:
      http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/08/27/yoga.boom/index.html

      25. Breathing 101 - Increase your efficiency for better oxygen uptake:
      For some reason we're taught to expand our chest when we breathe. This is not the most effective way to completely fill the lungs, and is not how our bodies are designed to inhale.
      The diaphragm is the muscle located under the lungs that is designated to expand the lungs and bring air into them.
      To breathe efficiently by using the diaphragm effectively, think about drawing air into the bottom third of your lungs as you expand your belly like a balloon.
      Try doing this while inhaling through your nose and you'll notice a relaxing sensation throughout your body.
      Take a few moments before each workout to sit quietly and practice breathing through your nose and with the diaphragm. This will start your workout in the right frame of mind and with correct breathing.
      Keep reminding yourself how to breathe with the diaphragm throughout your workout, and return to it if you fall back on incorrect breathing.
      More...from Active.com at:
      http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=10191&sidebar=21&category=cycling

      This Weeks Events:
      *Please verify event dates with the event websites*

      Ongoing:
      ????????????????

      Coming Up:

      September 5, 2003
      Van Damme Memorial Meet - Brussels, Belgium
      http://www.sport.be/memorialvandamme/eng/

      September 6, 2003
      Hamburg World Cup - Germany
      http://www.holstencityman.de/
      ITU Site
      http://www.triathlon.org/world-cup/wcup2003/hamburg/index.htm

      Lausanne ITU International Triathlon - Switzerland
      http://www.triathlon.org/international/int-2003/lausanne-2003/index.htm

      September 7, 2003
      Big Kahuna Triathlon - Santa Cruz, CA
      http://www.svmarathon.com/kahuna/

      CVS/pharmacy Downtown 5K - Providence, RI
      http://www.cvsdowntown5k.com/

      Gloucester Half-Marathon & 5K - Ottawa, ON
      http://www.ncra-ottawa.com/hm/news.php?id=97&showList=1&PHPSESSID=ab7da290936c74e0aef399557de0b800

      LA Triathlon - Los Angeles, CA
      http://www.latriathlon.com/

      Nike 10K - London, UK
      http://www.runlondon.com/

      Check our Upcoming page for more events at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/rw_upcoming.html

      This Weeks Personal Postings/Releases:
      We have NO personal postings this week.

      Television and Online Coverage:
      [Check local listings as event times are subject to change]

      Check out our new Runner's Web Television Links page at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/rw_television.html

      Send this to a Friend:
      Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they
      subscribe at:

      Your Feedback and Comments:
      Comments, contributions and feedback are always welcome via this list
      at: mailto:runnersweb@yahoogroups.com and in our Runner's Web Forum or
      Guest Book, available off our FrontPage. If you post to the mailing list
      and get your email returned, please contact the Runner's Web at
      mailto:runnersweb@... to notify us of the problem. To update your
      Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the web site at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RunnersWeb/join, sign in and update your
      changes.

      Joint the Journey to Athens. Support the fundraising drive for Canadian
      athletes:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news/rw_news_20030623_OttawaToAthens.html

      Ken Parker
      Runner's Web