Runner's Web Digest - September 6, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2002
      Runner's Web Digest - September 6, 2002

      Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html
      The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out our daily news
      features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more.

      For new subscribers:
      If you have any questions regarding the options available for receiving
      this digest, please do NOT email the list, rather email me directly at
      mailto:RunnersWeb@...

      This newsletter has been composed using Outlook set to text format. The
      Runner's Web Digest is a weekly digest of information on running,
      triathlons and multisport activities. It is sent via an email list at
      http://www.eGroups.com which allows all users to communicate with
      everyone on the list.

      3. By accessing the eGroups.com web site on demand.

      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for
      viruses. Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor (me) prior
      to being released to the group.

      NOTE********************************************************************
      [Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two
      lines. If you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you paste
      the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or
      another appropriate suffix]

      References/URLs:
      Most references in the digest which do not have a specific URL listed
      here are available from the Runner's Web FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html
      Also, if have email software that does not read HTML, all links
      contained in the Digest are available from the Runner's Web Site or from
      me.
      All URLs listed here have been verified as of the Digest publication
      date. It is possible that the site may have archived or deleted the page
      after publication.
      If you are unable to reach a URL listed here, ensure that you are using
      the entire URL (see above).
      If you still cannot reach the site, please email me at
      mailto:runnersweb@... and I will try to track it down.

      New This Week:
      Michael Selman's latest column - "Where Did the Time Go?" is available from our FrontPage and Columns pages.

      We have no personal postings this week.
      Personal Postings are located after the Upcoming Section towards the
      bottom of the newsletter.

      The winner of our Pegasus trivia was Derrick Spafford of Yarker, ON who correctly identified the photo as that of Mary Decker. The photo was a Sports Illustrated Magazine cover.

      This week's poll is: "Do you expect a new marathon 'record' or 'records' at this fall's Chicago Marathon?"
      An unprecedented field for the Chicago Marathon includes a match-up of the two fastest male and the two fastest female marathon runners of all-time.
      Cast your vote at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html

      The previous poll was:
      "Do you support the removal from the Olympics of events which require 'judging' such as synchronized swimming, etc.? "
      Results at publication time were:
      Yes, all such 'sports' 72
      Yes, some of them 18
      No, none of them 11
      No opinion, don't care... 5
      Total Votes: 106

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage as well as voting on and/or
      checking the results of previous polls.

      Book of the Week:
      Our recommended reading for the week is:" Tour De France/Tour De Force: A Visual History of the World's Greatest Bicycle Race.
      Tour de France/Tour de Force covers the history of the world's greatest cycling race in words and pictures. All the great riders are
      profiled: Lucien Petit-Breton, "King" Rene Vietto (who never won), Eddy "the Cannibal" Merckx, Bernard "the Badger" Hinault, Greg LeMond, Miguel Indurain, and of course, Lance Armstrong.
      Check it our and buy it here:
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0811824926/qid%3D1031190097/sr%3D1-3/ref%3Dsr%5F1%5F3/104-2323160-7155145/104-2323160-7155145?v=glance
      [Multi-line URL]

      If you feel you have something to say that is worthy of a Guest Column
      on the Runner's Web, email us at
      mailto:RunnersWeb@...
      or leave your comments in one of our Forums available from our FrontPage.

      Our Photo of the Week, which was being updated several times during the
      week, has been replaced with the Photo Slideshow which will have a
      random number of photos you can cycle through. Check it out from our
      FrontPage.

      The FiveStar Site of the Week:
      The FiveStar Site of the Week for next week is: DailyPeleton.com.
      This site provides complete coverage of Professional Cycling News.
      Check it out at:
      http://www.dailypeloton.com

      Send us your suggestions for our Five Star site. Please check our list
      of previous Five Star Sites available from the Five Star Window under
      the link "Previous Five Star Sites" as we do not wish to repeat a site
      unless it has undergone a major redesign.

      Be sure to check out our Flash Page where we list all recent additions
      to the Runner's Web. This page is updated before Monday morning each
      week.

      This Week's Items:

      Shorter ignited running passion 30 years ago:
      There's another anniversary approaching, this one a date worth relishing. It was Sept. 10, 1972 when distance running entered the American consciousness.
      On that day, in the final event of the tumultuous '72 Olympic Games, as television cameras beamed his image to the United States from Berlin, a slim man with a bushy mustache and a determined expression strode into the early lead of the marathon footrace and into history.
      His name was Frank Shorter. This country would never be the same.
      More...from Pioneer Press at:
      http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/sports/outdoors/3974314.htm

      Ironman Revisited:
      Looking for a way to celebrate his upcoming 50th birthday, Rick Kozlowski turned his memory bank back more than 20 years, to 1980, when he was a lifeguard and flew to Hawaii to compete in this fledgling thing called an Ironman triathlon.
      Ironman Hawaii would grow into a corporate giant. The race would move from Oahu to Kona on the Big Island. But Kozlowski wouldn't move with them. The man was a purist. After the 1980 race, Kozlowski wouldn't do another Ironman.
      "Once they moved the Ironman off Oahu," said the San Diego race director, "it didn't really mean that much to me."
      But to celebrate his 50th birthday, Kozlowski decided to return to Oahu. He pitched the idea of staging a race as a fund-raiser for the Challenged Athletes Foundation.
      More...from the Union-Tribune at:
      http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/20020830-9999_mz1s30iron.html

      The Secret of Vuleefore:
      Vowing to change the world of endurance running, where Kenyan athletes have been treated like indentured servants, a revolutionary band has established a base in a perfect green valley. And where is this magical place, this Vuleefore? In suburban America. Where George Washington slept. Where an enemy already guards its turf.
      UNTIL THE NIGHT the two Americans actually appeared in the flesh, Sammy Ng'eno had little faith in the story of their fantastic running scheme-this fairy tale of a professor, a blond surfer, and a valley of bloody feet.
      The two Americans were running-mad, Nelson Ndereva told Sammy each evening when they met for speed work on the track in Embu, a village in the Kenyan highlands. The professor and the surfer had discovered a place just like Africa on the East Coast of the United States-Vuleefore, it sounded like-where they wanted to bring African runners and plug them into a new program called The System. Instead of competing Kenyan-style-a ruthless process of elimination that leaves many promising runners injured or demoralized-The System promised solidarity, long-term coaching, and a place to train far from Africa's diseases and poverty. Nelson had a friend, a Kenyan runner in America named John Mwai, who told him the Americans were coming any day now to bring both of them to Vuleefore. If the experiment worked, Sammy and Nelson might join the next generation of world champions.
      More...from Outside Magazine at:
      http://web.outsidemag.com/magazine/200009/200009athletes_kenyans1.html

      From the ITU:
      "The International Triathlon Union, in partnership with Airwaves Digital Group (ADG) and Sportscast Network (SCN) are set to begin airing highlights from the ITU World Cup series and World Championship television shows on the internet. These highlights will be presented in broadband streaming video format and can be accessed from your home computer.
      SCN and ADG have set up a demo of this service and welcomes all feedback and input from triathletes and triathlon fans around the world. To view this demo, please visit http://www.triathlon.org and follow the links. Be sure to let us know what you think by filling out the comments section within the demo site.

      Yours sincerely,
      Loreen Barnett, Executive Director
      International Triathlon Union (ITU)"

      Seagren Clears Air in Pole Controversy:
      One part of Bob Seagren would like to say that the reason he didn't win his second consecutive gold medal in the pole vault in 1972 was an International Amateur Athletic Federation ruling that prevented him from competing with his regular poles.
      But, today, the other admits that breezy, misty conditions on the day of the Olympic final would have made it difficult for him to clear 18 feet using his regular poles.
      "Having to vault on [poles that weren't mine] might have been a blessing in disguise because of the conditions," said Seagren, 56. "If I had been allowed to jump on my regular poles, I might have been too aggressive and ended up [failing to clear a height]."
      More...from the LA Times at:
      http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedition/la-sp-polevaulters30aug30.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dpe%2Dsports
      [Multi-line URL]

      Ahead of His Time, and in It for Long Run:
      Bill Bowerman, coach of the U.S. track and field team at the 1972 Munich Olympics, was renowned for doing things a bit differently than his peers.
      He feuded often and openly with U.S. and International Olympic Committee officials. He never recruited and rarely offered full scholarships to his runners at the University of Oregon. Instead, he found them weekend and summer employment in the lumber mills around Eugene.
      Bowerman also handcrafted shoes for his runners and, later, co-founded (with Phil Knight) the athletic shoe giant Nike.
      "Winning is nice," Bowerman told writer and Olympic marathon runner Kenny Moore before the 1972 Games, "but you savor that victory for an evening and you wake up the next morning and it's gone. I believe we compete for every breath we draw, but competing well is just not to be equated with winning."
      More...from the LA Times at:
      http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedition/la-sp-briefing3sep03.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dpe%2Dsports
      [Multi-line URL]

      I currently take vitamin supplements each day. Are they doing me any good, or am I just wasting my money?
      A healthy balanced diet, which includes plenty of fruit and vegetables, plenty of starchy foods, moderate amounts of dairy products, and moderate amounts of meat and meat alternatives, will provide all the nutrients that most people need. Vitamin and mineral supplements are no substitute for good eating habits.
      More...from the Food Standards Agency at:
      http://www.foodstandards.gov.uk/healthiereating/asktheexpert/doihaveahealthydiet/multivitamins
      [Multi-line URL]

      Iron Fighters:
      Studies Show Hotshot Firefighters Burn Calories Like Professional Athletes.
      If you thought Lance Armstrong was tough, consider this: Hotshot firefighters require nearly the same amount of energy as the Tour de France champion just to do their job.
      Unlike in professional sports, where an athlete's calorie and water input and energy output are carefully recorded and charted in training logs, a wildland firefighter's progress is usually gauged by where fire lines remain at the end of the day.
      But researchers at the University of Montana and Montana University have been using high-tech gadgets and sophisticated science in recent years to measure the physical strains on elite fire crews. The hope is by measuring how much energy these crews use to battle wildfires, their supervisors can support them better with adequate food, water supplies and rest schedules.
      More...from ABC at:
      http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scitech/DailyNews/firefighters020903.html

      Just Look at You:
      A New Device Lets Users See How Exercise Transforms Their Bodies. It's Not Always Pretty -- or Apparent.
      part the black curtain of the TriForm Body Scanner, step into the dusky chamber and strip to my skivvies. I place my feet next to a pair of metal rods on the floor, grip a pair of waist-level handles and, locking my gaze on the blank panel facing me, push a thumb button that launches a scan of my body.
      A pulsing strobe flickers around me and the scanner hums softly. I feel nothing. In about two minutes I am done and dressed. Then the real fun begins.
      "You see here," says Simon Bradshaw, vice president of marketing for the Triform's maker, Bodyshape Scanners, as he points to a digitized image of my body the scanner has created, "you have slight leftward lean due to asymmetrical balance, a forward head tilt -- a lot of people have that -- a curved spine, your back is overdeveloped on the right. . . . Oh, and this is interesting: One ankle is bigger than the other."
      More...from the Washington Post at:
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A26803-2002Sep2.html

      Panel Urges Hour of Exercise a Day:
      By JANE E. BRODY
      Americans need to exercise more - at least an hour a day, twice as much as previously recommended - to maintain their health and a normal body weight, according to new guidelines issued yesterday by the Institute of Medicine, the medical division of the National Academies.
      In a thousand-page report, a team of 21 experts suggested for the first time a range of recommended amounts for what are called macronutrients - proteins, fats and carbohydrates - and also included advice on how much dietary fiber and exercise people should strive for to maintain good health. Previous reports over the last 60 years have dealt only with recommended levels of vitamins and minerals.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/06/health/06DIET.html

      Will guideline get us moving? Many doubt it:
      By PATRICIA GUTHRIE
      Atlanta Journal-Constitution Staff Writer
      Will it be an exercise in mobility or futility?
      That's what some pondered Thursday following new federal guidelines that doubled the recommended daily dose of physical activity -- from 30 minutes to 60 minutes.
      For the first time, the Institute of Medicine, which advises Congress, included exercise guidelines as part of its nutritional advice. It stressed that more Americans need to get moving to decrease the risk of heart disease, diabetes and other chronic illnesses linked to being overweight and leading a sedentary lifestyle.
      Concern over rising rates of obesity in children was also addressed. A study released Thursday in The New England Journal of Medicine found that physical activity substantially declines during adolescence in girls, and more so in black girls than in white girls.
      More...from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution at:
      http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/living/0902/06moving.html

      Risky Dietary Supplements:
      Dietary supplements-unlike medicines and other drugs-do not undergo rigorous testing and screening for efficacy and safety.
      Some products sold as dietary supplements, especially those containing ephedrine, are associated with serious-and sometimes deadly-adverse side effects. Additional risky supplements include androstenedione and other "prohormone" precursors to testosterone, yohimbine, and products that contain kava.
      Even supplements like vitamins, caffeine, creatine, and protein powders that are safe when taken in recommended doses could be harmful if taken in large doses for a long time.
      Dietary supplements may contain substances not shown on the package label that may be harmful or can lead to a positive doping test in sport competitions.
      How do you know if a product is safe? You don't.
      More...from GSSI at:
      http://www.gssiweb.com/reflib/refs/568/ssert48.cfm?pid=96

      Stepping up mileage more quickly may not be a bad idea:
      As the fall racing season and the winter marathons loom ahead, many Austin area runners are carefully and steadily increasing their mileage in preparation. Are they being too cautious?
      Over the years, the rule of thumb has been that runners should not increase their distance by more than 10 percent per week in building toward a goal. That would mean someone running 30 to 40 miles a week would only add three or four miles to their weekly total.
      But Kevin Beck, a 2-hour, 26-minute marathon runner and senior writer for Running Times magazine, is challenging the wisdom of the rule. "A strong mileage foundation is the single greatest determinant of long-range success in distance running," writes Beck in the October issue of Running Times. "Yet most runners are hesitant to undertake the necessary investment. For someone already accustomed to running 40-50 miles a week, there's simply no evidence you can't take aim at 60-, 70- or even 80-mile weeks at a virtual moment's notice."
      More...from the Austin American-Statesman at:
      http://www.austin360.com/statesman/editions/wednesday/sports_20.html

      The Lowdown on Hypnotremia:
      A common problem
      By Jennifer Gatz, M.A.
      For endurance athletes racing more than 6-8 hours, hyponatremia can be a common problem. Most of the athletes end up scratching their heads as to why they are having problems during or after a race with typical symptoms such as fatigue, headache, nausea, confusion, bloating and disorientation. After all, they were extra careful about drinking water so as not to dehydrate. The excess water intake, however, is the problem. Hyponatremia results from large losses of sodium through sweat with over consumption of sodium free fluid (such as water). Since it takes several hours for the body to run through its stores of sodium, hyponatremia results after several hours of endurance exercise without proper fluid replacement with a sodium-electrolyte drink. Researchers speculate that bloating occurs when water is ingested at a high rate while not being absorbed, causing it to collect in the intestines, drawing sodium into it, which causes blood levels of sodium to drop dramatically. Predisposing factors include excessive consumption of water before, during and after a race; individuals with high concentrations of salt lost through sweat and people with high sweat rates. These factors combined with exercise in a hot and humid environment can predispose individuals to developing hyponatremia and a subsequent decline in performance.
      More...from Transition Times at:
      http://www.transitiontimes.com/viewstory.cfm?ID=1038

      New challenge for marathon man:
      ALOR STAR: Former soldier Nasir Abas, the first Malaysian to run the length of the peninsula, may attempt a run across Sabah and Sarawak next year.
      Nasir, 47, said a Youth and Sports Ministry official had suggested that he does a charity run covering about 3,000km from Tawau in Sabah to Kuching in Sarawak next year in conjunction with Visit Sarawak Year.
      "I have not decided whether to take up the challenge, but will do so if no one else is willing to do it," he said.
      More...from The Star Online at:
      http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2002/9/5/nation/astlari&sec=nation

      Triathletes: What to do without access to a pool:
      Lately, many of the athletes I coach, who are in the midst training for a triathlon, must travel for vacation or business to an area that has open-water swimming available, but no pool access.
      Open water is a great place to do long endurance-type swims, but there are also other skills to work on. Below is a list of some of the workouts I've suggested for my athletes:
      More...from Active.com at:
      http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=9276&sidebar=26&category=triathlon

      It's All in Your Head:
      You've been training your body all summer. But with race season rapidly approaching, you'll need that mental edge as well. So this month we've got tips on Mental Preparation for the Big Race. And ways to avoid the post-race funk. We also delve into the heads of distance runners to find out what they're thinking about during all those hours on the road.
      Mental Prep for Race Day
      You've logged the miles. Counted the Zs. Eaten the carbs. And the splits from your most recent Sunday long run put your PR in the toaster. But is your mind as fit as your body?
      More...from Nike at:
      http://www.nike.com/nikerunning/index.jhtml?loc1=ne&loc2=2002August1

      Exercise Level and Cardiovascular Disease:
      Sep. 5, 2002 (Ivanhoe Newswire) -- Whether you choose to walk or run, a new study shows both levels of exercise are beneficial at preventing cardiovascular problems in women.
      Physical activity has been associated with a reduced risk of cardiovascular disease, but research on this in women is sparse. Researchers from Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston conducted a study looking at walking, vigorous exercise and hours spent sitting as predictors of cardiovascular problems.
      The study included information from more than 73,000 postmenopausal women 50 to 79 years old who took part in the Women's Health Initiative Observational Study. At the beginning of the study, the women were free of diagnosed cardiovascular disease and cancer. All of the participants filled out questionnaires about their physical activity programs.
      More...from Ivanhoe at:
      http://www.ivanhoe.com/channels/p_channelstory.cfm?channelid=CHAN-100016&storyid=4320
      [Multi-line URL]

      Running Legends - Ron Clarke, Australia:
      Ron Clarke is one of the greatest distance runners of all time. Between 1963 and 1968 he set a total of 21 world records, indoors and out at a range of distances from 2 miles to 20,000 meters.
      Clarke first started running seriously when he attended the Melbourne High School as a 16 year old. He was a very good all round sportsman but decided to focus on running after breaking the school under 17 mile and 880 yards records. Within three years of this, he set the world junior mile record in 4 minutes 6 seconds. For the following four years he virtually retired from athletics in order to pursue his accountancy studies, start a family and set up in business. At 23 he returned to the sport and was soon making an impact at national and international levels.
      More...from RealRunner at:
      http://www.realrunner.com/usaandcanada/legends/ronclarkepage.htm

      From Runner's World:
      Get the Gear: "New shoes, new socks, a new prerace meal, new energy
      gels...you get the idea. Use something new in an important race, and
      you're flirting with disaster. If your shoes are too tight during a
      training run, you can simply cut the run short. Not so during a race.
      Always test new things in training runs before taking them to the
      races." -Ed Eyestone, men's cross-country coach at Brigham Young
      University

      Underpronator: Underpronation is less common than overpronation. The
      shoes of underpronators show outsole wear on the lateral (outer) side
      not just at the heel but all the way up to the forefoot. Typically,
      underpronators tend to break down the heel counters of their shoes on
      the lateral side.

      Mind and Body

      Get That Goal: Once you've completed your marathon, set some new running
      goals for yourself, but concentrate on shorter distances in the months
      following your marathon. "I used to go from the marathon to running 1500
      meters on the track," says sports psychologist Kay Porter, Ph.D. "It
      really helped boost my speed, and was fun and different."

      Bike marathon a quiet triumph:
      There was no brass band waiting and no million-dollar cheque to turn over to charity when Ryan Correy rode his worn-out bicycle into Eau Claire Plaza Saturday.
      But there was a deep-rooted sense of accomplishment known only by the 19-year-old Calgarian, his family and a handful of close supporters at the end of his 14,000-kilometre Ride For Life charity bike tour around North America.
      He had done what he set out to do, even though he spent $22,000 of his own money to raise $12,000 to split between the Candlelighters Childhood Cancer Foundation of Canada and the Lance Armstrong Foundation in the United States.
      More...from Canada.com at:
      http://www.canada.com/search/site/story.asp?id=2A56AF10-1B0E-4539-BA8E-685837520584
      [Multi-line URL]

      The A.R.T. in Ironman:
      A Charlottetown chiropractor was part of a treatment team practising Active Release Technique therapy on athletes competing in the gruelling Ironman competition in New York.
      In the chiropractic business, a day's work can mean a full slate of patients from beginning to end.
      However, for Charlottetown chiropractor David Whitty, that potential patient ante was upped more than a thousandfold when he joined a select team of 24 North American health professionals to assess and treat the 1,754 men and women who tackled the Ironman triathlon in Lake Placid, New York.
      More...from Canada.com at:
      http://www.canada.com/search/site/story.asp?id=47C901BA-3517-485F-A72A-397215FFEDC9
      [Multi-line URL]

      Think You Can't Complete A Marathon?
      Phoenix Fit Says Think Again! -- Proven Training Program Challenging Valley Residents To Achieve One of the Ultimate Athletic Goals.
      PHOENIX, Sep 4, 2002 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Ask anyone who has done it and they will tell you there is nothing like completing a marathon. Now, Phoenix Fit, part of a nationally recognized marathon-training program, is coming to the Valley. The proven 26-week training program is designed for people in all physical shape. "Phoenix Fit is for everyone," says David Bluestein, head coach and program organizer. "Whether you're a casual runner or just a couch potato, if you follow our easy program you can complete your first marathon."
      Phoenix Fit is a six-month running and/or walking training program designed to get you in the best shape of your life, quickly and safely, with the maximum amount of fun and support. Through running or walking, we help you reach your maximum physical and mental potential. We challenge you to challenge yourself, in a non-competitive, supportive environment. USA FIT, the parent of Phoenix Fit has a twelve-year track record of success, training people just like you to get in great shape, and if they want to, finish a 26.2-mile marathon. The key to the Phoenix Fit program is challenging yourself in small but ever-increasing doses.
      More...from Northern Light News at:
      http://library.northernlight.com/FE20020904330000068.html?cb=0&dx=1006&sc=0#doc

      The Athlete's Kitchen:
      Copyright: Nancy Clark, MS, RD 8/02
      Value Meals: The High Price of Fast Foods
      Someone once joked that building lots of McDonald's and Burger Kings in "enemy territories" would eradicate the need for atomic bombs; the obese population would soon self-destruct. Unfortunately, Americans have become are our own worst enemy and obesity has reached epidemic proportions. More than 60% of American adults are, well, super-sized as are 14% of American teens and 13% of 6- to 11-year olds.
      While most of the readers of this column are fit and healthy, you've perhaps noticed your uncle, parent or neighbor become bigger and talk about high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes and another undesirable health conditions. These diseases of aging not only interfere with longevity but also lead to worrisome medical expenses. This nation cannot afford to be so unhealthy!
      More...from JeffGalloway.com at:
      http://www.jeffgalloway.com/resources/newsletter.html#fighting

      Consultation report on vitamins and minerals published:
      The Expert Group on Vitamins and Minerals (EVM) today issued a consultation document on safe upper levels of vitamins and minerals. The EVM has spent 4 years assessing the available evidence on vitamins and minerals, in response to public concern and confusion over possible dangers of taking high amounts of vitamins and minerals over long periods of time.
      The EVM is an independent group made up of 10 members from the medical and scientific community, one lay member, and four observers representing consumer organisations, the health and food industries, and alternative medicine interests. Comments on the draft EVM report are being sought throughout the consultation period, which ends on 21 November 2002.
      The Group carried out a detailed nutritional and toxicological review of 34 vitamins and minerals, with particular reference to safety in long-term use. Safe upper levels were suggested for nine of them, guidance suggested for 22, and statements were issued for three minerals. Guidance was given where there was not enough evidence to suggest a safe upper level for a particular vitamin and mineral. Both guidance and safe upper levels refer to a total level taken in from food, supplements, or a combination of the two.
      More...from the Food Standards Agency at:
      http://www.foodstandards.gov.uk/news/pressreleases/88271

      Races Coming Up:

      September 5-8, 2002:

      Grand Défi de Victoriaville - PQ
      In-Line Skating, Mountain Biking, Kayaking, Obstacle Race And Rock-Climbing
      http://www.granddefi.qc.ca/eng/intro.html

      September 7, 2002:

      Cascade Lakes Triathlon - Bend, OR
      http://www.cascadelakestri.com/

      Brockville Half-Marathon - ON
      http://www.recorder.ca/brrc/

      Grande Course de Montreal 10K - PQ
      http://www.runnerschoice.com/quebec/grande/grande.htm

      Esprit Ironman and Half-Ironman Triathlon - Montreal, PQ
      http://www.esprittriathlon.com/

      Hamburg World Cup Triathlon - Germany
      http://www.holstencityman.de/
      ITU Site
      http://www.triathlon.org/world-cup/wcup2002/events/hamburg-2002/index.htm

      Television
      CBC 2 - 3 PM World Cup Athletics
      Brussels Golden League from Aug. 30

      September 7 - 8, 2002:

      Powerman ITU World Cup Final - Zofingen, Switzerland
      http://www.powerman.ch/

      September 8, 2002:

      LA Triathlon - CA
      http://www.latriathlon.com/

      Big Kahuna Triathlon - Santa Cruz, CA
      http://www.bigkahunatri.com/

      Bluesure Half-Ironman - Llanberis, Wales
      http://www.britishtriathlon.org/events/257/index.html

      Great Scottish Run - Glasgow, Scotland
      http://www.run.glasgow.gov.uk/

      Chicago Half-Marathon - IL
      http://www.chicagohalfmarathon.com/

      Canadian Duathlon Championships - Calgary, AB
      http://www.multisportscanada.com/Duathlon.htm

      Gloucester Half Marathon and 5K - Ottawa, ON
      http://www.ncra-ottawa.com/

      Triathlon de Montreal, PQ
      http://www.esprittriathlon.com/

      Beat Beethoven Run - Peterborough, ON
      http://www.beatbeethoven.com/

      For more upcoming races check out the Runner's Web Races,
      Marathons and Calendars pages at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html or look at the "Coming Up"
      section on our FrontPage.

      Also check out the following site:
      This Week's Hot Links from Track and Field News at:
      http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/results/hotlinks.html

      For marathons only check out the Marathon Guide at:
      http://www.marathonguide.com/
      for a listing of both US and International Marathons.

      This Weeks Personal Postings/Releases:
      No personal postings this week.

      Television and Online Coverage:
      [Check local listings as event times are subject to change]

      USA Track and Field 2002 Elite U.S. TV Schedule
      http://www.usatf.org/news/2002TVSchedule.shtml

      OLN Triathlon Broadcast Schedule:
      [PDF Format]
      <http://www.triathlon.org/tv/tv-2001/broadcast-schedule/oln-broadcast%20schedule.pdf>
      [2 Line URL]

      TVGrid.com
      http://www.tvgrid.com/

      CBC Sports Schedule
      http://www.cbc.ca/sports/schedule/

      CTV Sportsnet
      http://www.ctvsportsnet.com/index.shtml

      Sundays @ 1P.M. EDT
      Track & Field: The Running Zone
      http://www.canoe.ca/TheRunningZone/home.html

      Runner's World VCR Alerts
      http://www.runnersworld.com/dailynew/home.html#vcr

      USATF summer track broadcasting listing
      http://www.usatf.org/news/2002TVSchedule.shtml

      SportsOxygen.com
      "A Woman's View of the World"
      http://www.oxygen.com/sports/

      Bikes on TV.com
      http://www.bikesontv.com/

      Send this to a Friend:
      Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they
      subscribe at:
      http://www.egroups.com/subscribe.cgi/RunnersWeb

      Your Feedback and Comments:
      Comments, contributions and feedback are always welcome via this list
      at: mailto:runnersweb@onelist.com and in our Runner's Web Forum or
      Guest Book, available off our FrontPage. If you post to the mailing list
      and get your email returned, please contact the Runner's Web at
      mailto:runnersweb@... to notify us of the problem. To update your
      Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the web site at
      http://www.egroups.com/subscribe.cgi/RunnersWeb, sign in and update your
      changes.

      Runner's Web
      runnersweb@... <mailto:runnersweb@...>