Runner's Web Digest - July 5, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2002
      Runner's Web Digest - July 5, 2002

      Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html
      The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out our daily news
      features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more.

      For new subscribers:
      If you have any questions regarding the options available for receiving
      this digest, please do NOT email the list, rather email me directly at
      mailto:RunnersWeb@...

      This newsletter has been composed using Outlook set to text format. The
      Runner's Web Digest is a weekly digest of information on running,
      triathlons and multisport activities. It is sent via an email list at
      http://www.eGroups.com which allows all users to communicate with
      everyone on the list.

      3. By accessing the eGroups.com web site on demand.

      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for
      viruses. Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor (me) prior
      to being released to the group.

      NOTE********************************************************************
      [Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two
      lines. If you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you paste
      the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or
      another appropriate suffix]

      References/URLs:
      Most references in the digest which do not have a specific URL listed
      here are available from the Runner's Web FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html
      Also, if have email software that does not read HTML, all links
      contained in the Digest are available from the Runner's Web Site or from
      me.
      All URLs listed here have been verified as of the Digest publication
      date. It is possible that the site may have archived or deleted the page
      after publication.
      If you are unable to reach a URL listed here, ensure that you are using
      the entire URL (see above).
      If you still cannot reach the site, please email me at
      mailto:runnersweb@... and I will try to track it down.

      New This Week:
      ********************
      There will be no Digest on July 12th as the Runner's Web editor will be away
      on holidays.
      The Digest will resume on July 19th.
      There will be no updates to the Runner's Web site from July 7th to 14th
      inclusive.
      News from the MultiSport world will be available from our News Headline page
      - available
      from our FrontPage - which has several auto-updates sports news sources.
      ********************

      Michael Selman's Column Returns!
      Read Michael's latest column - "At Long Last, Confluence" at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/rw_selman.html

      We have a winner in our Pegasus Quiz!
      Dave Cuplin of Spokane, WA correctly identified Glenn Cunningham, Billy
      Mills, Wes Santee and Jim Ryun as all being former University of Kansas
      Jayhawks. He wins a copy of Pegasus Software's Training Log Software.
      Check our web site on the first of every month to try our Pegasus Quiz.

      We have no personal postings this week.
      Personal Postings are located after the Upcoming Section towards the
      bottom of the newsletter.

      This week's poll is: "What is your level of interest in the Tour de France?"
      Cast your vote at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html

      The previous poll was: "Is your spouse/partner an athlete?"
      Results at publication time were:
      Yes - competitive 23
      Yes - fitness 42
      No 31
      Not sure(?) 0
      I have no partner 9
      Total Votes: 105

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage as well as voting on and/or
      checking the results of previous polls.

      If you feel you have something to say that is worthy of a Guest Column
      on the Runner's Web, email us at
      mailto:RunnersWeb@...
      or leave your comments in one of our Forums available from our FrontPage.

      Our Photo of the Week, which was being updated several times during the
      week, has been replaced with the Photo Slideshow which will have a
      random number of photos you can cycle through. Check it out from our
      FrontPage.

      The FiveStar Site of the Week:
      The next FiveStar Site of the Week for next week is: World Champion
      Triathlete - Chris McCormack.
      Chris is the 1997 ITU World Cup Champion, 1997 ITU Triathlon World Champion
      and 2002 Ironman Australia Champion.
      The site contains results, photos, news, triathlon tips and more.
      You can check out the site at:
      http://www.chrismccormack.com.au

      Send us your suggestions for our Five Star site. Please check our list
      of previous Five Star Sites available from the Five Star Window under
      the link "Previous Five Star Sites" as we do not wish to repeat a site
      unless it has undergone a major redesign.

      Be sure to check out our Flash Page where we list all recent additions
      to the Runner's Web. This page is updated before Monday morning each
      week.

      The Economics of Running:
      Money-it's not always readily associated with running, but in fact it's what
      makes the wheels of the sport turn, as it does in just about every other
      endeavor of life. Is it only recently that concerns with legal tender have
      overspread the sport of running, or does it just seem that way? In this
      first of a two-part article, I'll take a look at the effect money has had
      upon running; first from the buyer's perspective, then in part two, from the
      seller's.
      There are two areas in which runners are prime consumers: footwear (and to a
      lesser extent apparel and accessories) and events. There are other areas in
      which runners spend (books, magazines, coaching, specialty food and drink,
      and travel come to mind), but these are dwarfed by the "big two."
      Runners are always going to need shoes and they are always going to be
      looking for races. It has always been thus, and will continue to be so. Both
      of these markets have matured during the past 30 or more years, but if
      history is any guide, are nowhere near saturation, because shoes will
      continue to wear out (quickly!) and events are even more disposable. In
      addition, as fast as consumers leave the sport, new ones appear. The growth
      in running, particularly in running in organized events, has increased in
      recent years beyond the expectations of even the most wildly optimistic
      manufacturers, retailers and event managers.
      More...from CoolRunning at:
      http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/6/6_1/449.shtml

      How Sweat Works:
      The Sweat Gland
      The average person has 2.6 million sweat glands in their skin! Sweat glands
      are distributed over the entire body -- except for the lips, nipples and
      external genital organs. The sweat gland is in the layer of skin called the
      dermis along with other "equipment," such as nerve endings, hair follicles
      and so on.
      Basically, the sweat gland is a long, coiled, hollow tube of cells. The
      coiled part in the dermis is where sweat is produced, and the long portion
      is a duct that connects the gland to the opening or pore on the skin's outer
      surface. Nerve cells from the sympathetic nervous system connect to the
      sweat glands.
      More...from How Fitness Works at:
      http://fitness.howstuffworks.com/sweat1.htm

      Don't stop exercising because of athletes' deaths:
      The treadmills need to roll, the pedals need to spin and the stair steppers
      need to turn. The pavement must be pounded, the rope jumped and the laps
      swum.
      We can't stop because St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Darryl Kile recently died
      at 33 from drastically congested coronary arteries. Or because, closer to
      home, William ``Shorty'' Gray, 63 but famous for his prodigious workouts at
      Norfolk's downtown YMCA, died of a heart attack last week while exercising
      there.
      We can't stop pursuing our own physical fitness out of fear.
      We can't stop out of despair. Or some misplaced sense of futility that
      exercise cannot save, seemingly, even the fittest among us.
      More... from Pilot Online at:
      http://www.pilotonline.com/sports/sp0702rob.html

      Should You Use Supplements?
      The Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport (CCES) is aware that nutraceutical
      products and dietary supplements ("supplements") are already widely
      available to athletes and to the general public. Athletes have told us that
      gaining credible and reliable information on supplements is a priority for
      them. The CCES is always seeking to provide athletes with reliable
      information and guidance so that they play fairly, do not inadvertently harm
      themselves or their competitors and do not test positive for prohibited
      substances.
      Many Canadians, including a substantial number of Canadian athletes, use
      supplements because they believe it necessary to augment their regular
      nutrition. They believe supplement use may make them healthier, may alter
      body composition, may provide them with additional energy and may enhance
      athletic performance. Inherent in these beliefs is that often-incorrect
      notion that supplements are effective and safe for all people under all
      circumstances.
      More...from Athletics Canada at:
      http://www.athleticscanada.com/AthcanTeamSelections/48.html

      Running builds stronger hearts:
      Does running cause a heart attack?
      No, said Dr. Joe Wilson, a cardiologist who serves as a medical director of
      the Peachtree Road Race.
      Regular exercise such as running is far more helpful than hurtful in
      building a strong heart. Sudden strenuous actions such as running, however,
      can threaten people who are at risk for heart attacks: smokers, diabetics,
      those with family history of heart disease and others with high cholesterol
      or blood pressure. (Some of these, like Don Plunkett, don't know they are at
      risk.)
      Also, a heart attack is twice as likely during the first two hours of waking
      than during the rest of the day, Wilson said, so a road race at dawn is more
      likely to provoke a heart attack in someone susceptible to one. See a doctor
      before starting a program of vigorous exercise, he suggested.
      More...from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution at:
      http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/epaper/editions/wednesday/sports_d322392246
      4c91cf1081.html
      [Multi-line URL]

      Ephedrine Enhances Performance but not Recommended:
      Jul. 2, 2002 (Ivanhoe Newswire) -- A new study shows ephedrine and caffeine
      may improve athletic performance but use of the substances is not
      recommended.
      Ira Jacobs, Ph.D., from Ontario, Canada, presented his findings this week at
      the Annual Meeting of the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine.
      He and his colleagues found athletic performance increased after taking
      ephedrine and caffeine during a number of exercise tests.
      Following a standard high intensity bicycle test, performance increased from
      12.6 minutes in the placebo trial to 17.5 minutes during the ephedrine and
      caffeine trial. Participants completed about six more repetitions of leg
      presses during the ephedrine and caffeine trial than during the placebo
      trial. Participants also completed 12.3 bench press repetitions in the
      placebo trial compared to 14.3 in the ephedrine and caffeine trial.
      More...from Ivanhoe at:
      http://www.ivanhoe.com/story/p_newsflash.cfm?storyid=3872

      From Runner's World:
      Be Patient: "When you run even splits, the early part of a race should
      feel comfortable. So try to avoid the temptation to push the pace when
      you feel good in the early miles. By holding back, you conserve energy
      that you'll be happy to spend late in the race." - Ed Eyestone

      Get Smart: Researchers in Japan found that people scored higher on
      intellectual tests after completing a 12-week running program, and that
      their scores fell when they stopped training.

      Hurdle: Somewhere into your weekly long run, you experience
      gastrointestinal problems.
      Solution: You're not alone! Many distance runners occasionally face this
      problem. Try switching early morning runs to later in the day. Don't eat
      2 to 3 hours before your long run. Avoid consuming high-fiber foods the
      day before and monitor your caffeine. And always check with your doctor
      to insure a clean bill of health.

      "It's not that all of us have to dedicate our life to our sport; rather,
      we can dedicate our sport to our life---approaching our training as a
      way of life which enhances virtually all the endeavors we undertake."
      -Dan Millman, author of The Warrior Athlete

      Keeping track of your mileage is important. But if you're not the best
      at writing in your training log every day, try this little technique:
      Buy or create a calendar that you'll use specifically for running. Hang
      it on a wall in a convenient place (one where you'll see it when you
      come back from a run) and attach a pen on a string to it. Every day when
      you come back from a run, record your mileage. - Adam Bean, RW managing
      editor

      Tour de France:
      The Tour de France is the world's greatest cycling event. As the
      bicyclists climb into the mountains and quickly pass through the rolling
      countryside, many postcards of life occur away from the competition -
      the ambiance, the restaurants, the uniqueness of the villages and the
      people who live and work near the sunflowers, ancient castles, the
      fields of expansive vineyards and the big cities, too.
      The Tour Within The Tour de France, an e-book, has just been published.
      It includes 21 essays about the author's first five years of covering
      the race and the world around it. For more information, visit the link:
      http://www.hadami.com/bookinfo/details.asp?bookID=334

      Jogging helps relieve stress:
      RUNNING on a treadmill allows exercisers to set their own pace and not feel
      compelled to keep up with anyone else, Steve Cram, the former Olympic 1,500
      metres runner who is helping to launch Cannons/Reebok running clubs this
      month, says. The monotony, however, means that many cannot keep going for
      very long and do not get the added benefits derived from exercising
      outdoors.
      The fresh air and changing scenery help those who run outside to cover
      greater distances and the otherwise distraction-free environment gives many
      their only opportunity in the day just to think. "Running is great for
      relieving stress and offers the time to go over anything that needs sorting
      out, which is important for busy people," Cram says.
      More...from the Times Online at:

      Exercising in the Heat
      Hyperthermia can take the fun and health out of summer exercise.
      Hot weather exercising can do more than make you hot, tired and thirsty.
      Many of us remember the gruesome sight of Andersen-Schiess stumbling to the
      marathon finish line in the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics, suffering from
      hyperthermia.
      Serious heat illness is even more likely to strike those who push their
      endurance and are not as well conditioned as Olympic marathoners.
      Exercising in warm weather is safe if you know how to manage your exercise
      program and adjust your workout to the conditions.
      While exercising you are exposed to both external and internal heat.
      External heat comes from the combination of environmental temperature and
      humidity - the heat index.
      Humidity increases the effect of heat by limiting the effectiveness of sweat
      evaporation to cool you. Heat radiation from certain surfaces such as
      pavement, concrete or sand may make you feel hotter.
      More...from SportsDoctor.com at:
      http://www.sportsdoctor.com/articles/hyperthermia.html

      In For The Long Run:
      Squaw Valley-Auburn race 'the Holy Grail of Ultra'
      Foresthill, Placer County -- Shambling and stumbling like a procession of
      the damned, a line of runners battled up out of Volcano Canyon. Streaked
      with sweat, dirt -- sometimes even vomit and blood -- participants in the
      Western States 100 were just midway through a quest to run from Squaw Valley
      to Auburn in less than 30 hours.
      This mountain race is granddaddy to all Ultramarathon runs. At its 29th
      anniversary, it remains one of the most challenging amateur athletic events
      on the globe.
      By Saturday afternoon, the runners had seen the worst of the trail: most of
      the gain of 18,000 feet and loss of 23,000 feet involved in the 100-mile
      course, rugged rock mazes and five steep canyons that became pressure
      cookers under a blazing sun.
      Participants had already completed 2.4 end-to-end marathons on this rugged
      course. But they still had the equivalent of 1.4 more marathons to go before
      reaching the finish.
      More...from SFGate at:
      http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/07/04/SP179593.DTL

      Right foods best sources for minerals:
      Your body can't produce them on its own, but you can't live without them.
      Even in trace amounts, they serve vital roles in maintaining good health.
      These aren't miracle drugs.
      They're humble minerals. And, despite their crucial importance to our
      physical well being, they can be easily misunderstood.
      "One of the big misconceptions, especially with regard to vitamins and
      minerals, is 'If a little is good for me, more is even better.' That's often
      not the case," said John Bogden, a mineral expert based at the University of
      Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey-New Jersey Medical School in Newark.
      "You can have too little of a mineral, anything from a severe to a mild
      deficiency, and if it's severe, it can even be life-threatening.
      More...from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution at:
      http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/living/health/minerals.html

      Cycling biggies invest in Ugandan gold mine:
      Successful sportsmen invest in many diverse businesses but three-time Tour
      de France winner Lance Armstrong surely has put his money in one of the
      least likely - a gold mine in Uganda.
      The 30-year-old American, who will set out on Saturday bidding for a fourth
      successive Tour de France crown, was persuaded to invest in it by former
      English professional cyclist Paul Sherwen, who is now the managing director
      of the mine.
      Armstrong was following in the footsteps of former Motorola team-mate Ron
      Kiefel, Mike Plant, a director of the Goodwill Games, and Jim Ochowicz,
      former managing director of Motorola, who had all visited Sherwen in Uganda.

      The trio along with Sherwen invested enough to secure a 2 percent holding in
      the mine which the Englishman says came in very handy at the time.
      "Of course everybody, Lance included, invested because they were friends,
      but they did it at a time when we badly needed money," Sherwen said.
      More...from VeloNews at:
      http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/2563.0.html

      Not ready to slow down:
      Fallbrook runner giving marathon effort at age of 70
      For Arnold Hogarth, this Fourth of July will mean more than this country's
      independence.
      It was on that day three years ago that Hogarth made a bet with his
      daughter. It turned out to be the toughest wager he's ever tried to win.
      "My daughter and I kind of challenged each other to run 13 miles," Hogarth
      said.
      The task seemed easy enough. Hogarth, 67 at the time, jogged regularly to
      stay in shape. The plan was for father and daughter Lisa Loaiza to train for
      a month and run the America's Finest City Half Marathon from Point Loma to
      Balboa Park.
      Seemingly simple. But it all went bad 13 miles and a couple of hours later.
      "It was a much more formidable task that we imagined," Hogarth, now 70,
      said. "We got done and were just absolutely exhausted. When we got done we
      swore we would never, ever, do it again. We were really a mess."
      More...from the Union Tribune at:
      http://www.uniontrib.com/news/uniontrib/sat/sports/news_m1si29hogart.html

      Going up- reenergize your hill running:
      Do all of your favorite training routes resemble the flats of the Kansas
      prairies? Is your net altitude gain on most runs zero? Do you avoid races
      like the Boston Marathon because of the reputation of climbs such as
      Heartbreak Hill? Many runners shy away from any knolls, rises, prominences,
      hills, peaks and mounds -- not because they are physically unable to run up
      them, but because mentally the challenge seems insurmountable. Sentiments
      like, "I can't run hills," "I'm more of a flat runner" and "I don't have the
      right build for that kind of terrain" are common among those who avoid any
      sort of bump in the road. While hills may never be your particular strength,
      it is important to keep them from becoming your personal Achilles' heel.
      More...from InsideTri at:
      http://www.insidetri.com/train/coach/articles/1022.0.html

      Subjects Pedal High to Boost Their Altitude Health:
      After undergoing an exhaustive battery of tests in a Palo Alto hospital in
      the spring, a couple of dozen civilian volunteers are heading to the top of
      Colorado's Pikes Peak to expend more calories in the interests of science.
      Salt Lake City exercise physiologist Andrew Subudhi leaves today for
      Colorado to spend most of the summer working on the project, a three-year
      study of the effects of altitude on physical performance.
      The study's findings eventually could help troops deployed at altitude stay
      healthier. Climbers, mountaineers, skiers and others who venture into the
      mountains also might benefit.
      In the first phase of the $300,000 joint study by the U.S. Army, Stanford
      University and the Palo Alto Veterans Administration Hospital, volunteers
      ate 40 percent fewer calories than required while spending a couple of weeks
      peddling stationary bikes atop Pikes Peak.
      Aerobic performance typically drops about 25 percent at altitude, and most
      people also experience a natural loss of appetite and eat less.
      More...from the Salt Lake Tribune at:
      http://www.sltrib.com/06302002/sports/749585.htm

      Soldier was all over the map to run Grandma's
      Running the 26.2 miles of Grandma's Marathon in Duluth, Minn., last weekend
      wasn't easy for Daniel Bergin, but it might have been the easiest task of a
      chaotic winter and spring that featured stops in Kuwait, Pakistan and North
      Branch, Minn.
      Bergin, 40, a tech sergeant in the Minnesota Air National Guard's 133rd
      Airlift Wing, was called to active duty for a year in December, shipped to
      Kuwait, then to Pakistan for 2½ weeks and then back to Kuwait before he
      returned home to Lino Lakes after three months overseas.
      A veteran of five Twin Cities Marathons who ran his best time of 3 hours, 20
      minutes, 8 seconds at the Milwaukee Marathon at age 18, Bergin decided this
      was his year to run Grandma's, but he shipped out Jan. 28, just as
      registration opened, and did not return to the United States until May 3.
      More...from TwinCities.com at:
      http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/columnists/3566867.htm

      When it comes to summer drinks, water's best at keeping us cool and
      hydrated:
      TORONTO (CP) - The only thing better than a long bike ride on a hot summer's
      day is a cool refreshing beer. Or maybe an iced latte. No definitely a fizzy
      lemonade - not too tart and not too sweet.
      It seems that during sultry summers, thirst takes hold often and reaching
      for a delicious beverage is the answer. But the truth is, by the time you
      feel thirsty you are already dehydrated and at risk of heat exhaustion. And
      if you consistently reach for something other than water, you may not be
      doing yourself any good. When it comes to thirst-quenchers, water is the
      winner.
      If you plan on any outdoor activity or exercise, the Canadian Athletic
      Therapists' Association recommends proper hydration to stay healthy and
      maintain a high level of performance. That includes drinking at least 250
      millilitres of water before getting started, 125-250 ml every 15-20 minutes
      during the workout and 500 ml for every pound of weight loss after the
      activity.
      The association also recommends that if the exercise is intense or lasts
      longer than 45-50 minutes, a sports drink containing six to eight per cent
      carbohydrates should be consumed during the activity.
      More...from Canada.com at:
      <http://www.canada.com/edmonton/story.asp?id={F5760365-ABAD-4BE7-A5D1-0E99F5
      92C8CE}>

      Races Coming Up:
      July 6, 2002:
      Television: Athletics - Oslo Golden League
      Oslo Norway meet from June 28
      1 PM - 2:30 PM

      Ottawa Athletic Club Triathlon - Gatineau Park, PQ
      http://www.ottawaathleticclub.com/races.htm
      Results from SportStats at
      http://www.sportstats.ca/

      New Balance Maine Distance Festival - Bowdoin College, Brunswick, Maine
      http://www.mainedistance.org/

      July 6 - 28, 2002:

      Tour de France
      http://www.letour.fr/
      Runner's Web TDF Links
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/rw_tdf2002.html

      July 7, 2002:

      Gold Coast Marathon - Australia
      http://www.goldcoastmarathon.com.au/

      Calgary Herald Stampede Road Race - AB
      http://www.stampederoadrace.com/

      For more upcoming races check out the Runner's Web Races,
      Marathons and Calendars pages at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html or look at the "Coming Up"
      section on our FrontPage.

      Also check out the following site:
      This Week's Hot Links from Track and Field News at:
      http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/results/hotlinks.html

      For marathons only check out the Marathon Guide at:
      http://www.marathonguide.com/
      for a listing of both US and International Marathons.

      This Weeks Personal Postings/Releases:
      No personal postings this week.

      Television and Online Coverage:
      [Check local listings as event times are subject to change]

      USA Track and Field 2002 Elite U.S. TV Schedule
      http://www.usatf.org/news/2002TVSchedule.shtml

      OLN Triathlon Broadcast Schedule:
      [PDF Format]
      <http://www.triathlon.org/tv/tv-2001/broadcast-schedule/oln-broadcast%20sche
      dule.pdf>
      [2 Line URL]

      TVGrid.com
      http://www.tvgrid.com/

      CBC Sports Schedule
      http://www.cbc.ca/sports/schedule/

      CTV Sportsnet
      http://www.ctvsportsnet.com/index.shtml

      Sundays @ 1P.M. EDT
      Track & Field: The Running Zone
      http://www.canoe.ca/TheRunningZone/home.html

      Runner's World VCR Alerts
      http://www.runnersworld.com/dailynew/home.html#vcr

      USATF summer track broadcasting listing
      http://www.usatf.org/news/2002TVSchedule.shtml

      SportsOxygen.com
      "A Woman's View of the World"
      http://www.oxygen.com/sports/

      Bikes on TV.com
      http://www.bikesontv.com/

      Send this to a Friend:
      Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they
      subscribe at:
      http://www.egroups.com/subscribe.cgi/RunnersWeb

      Your Feedback and Comments:
      Comments, contributions and feedback are always welcome via this list
      at: mailto:runnersweb@onelist.com and in our Runner's Web Forum or
      Guest Book, available off our FrontPage. If you post to the mailing list
      and get your email returned, please contact the Runner's Web at
      mailto:runnersweb@... to notify us of the problem. To update your
      Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the web site at
      http://www.egroups.com/subscribe.cgi/RunnersWeb, sign in and update your
      changes.

      Runner's Web
      runnersweb@... <mailto:runnersweb@...>