Runner's Web Digest - June 7, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2002
      Runner's Web Digest - June 7, 2002

      Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html
      The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out our daily news
      features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more.

      For new subscribers:
      If you have any questions regarding the options available for receiving
      this digest, please do NOT email the list, rather email me directly at
      mailto:RunnersWeb@...

      This newsletter has been composed using Outlook set to text format. The
      Runner's Web Digest is a weekly digest of information on running,
      triathlons and multisport activities. It is sent via an email list at
      http://www.eGroups.com which allows all users to communicate with
      everyone on the list.

      3. By accessing the eGroups.com web site on demand.

      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for
      viruses. Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor (me) prior
      to being released to the group.

      NOTE********************************************************************
      [Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two
      lines. If you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you paste
      the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or
      another appropriate suffix]

      References/URLs:
      Most references in the digest which do not have a specific URL listed
      here are available from the Runner's Web FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html
      Also, if have email software that does not read HTML, all links
      contained in the Digest are available from the Runner's Web Site or from
      me.
      All URLs listed here have been verified as of the Digest publication
      date. It is possible that the site may have archived or deleted the page
      after publication.
      If you are unable to reach a URL listed here, ensure that you are using
      the entire URL (see above).
      If you still cannot reach the site, please email me at
      mailto:runnersweb@... and I will try to track it down.

      New This Week:
      We have no personal postings this week.

      Personal Postings are located after the Upcoming Section towards the
      bottom of the newsletter.

      This week's poll is: "Which of the following events is the most
      'over-rated'?
      Ironman triathlon
      Olympic triathlon
      Marathon
      Tour de France
      Any adventure race"

      The previous poll was: "Do you train and/or race with a heart rate
      monitor?"
      Results at publication time were:
      Often train with one 22
      Often race with one 0
      Often train & race 13
      On occasion only 25
      Do not own one 71
      Total Votes: 131

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage as well as voting on and/or
      checking the results of previous polls.

      If you feel you have something to say that is worthy of a Guest Column
      on the Runner's Web, email us at
      mailto:RunnersWeb@...
      or leave your comments in one of our Forums available from our FrontPage.

      Our Photo of the Week, which was being updated several times during the
      week, has been replaced with the Photo Slideshow which will have a
      random number of photos you can cycle through. Check it out from our
      FrontPage.

      The FiveStar Site of the Week:
      The next FiveStar Site of the Week for next week is: HalHigdon.com.
      "Hal Higdon, Senior Writer for Runners World is on the run and online.
      Training. Tips. Travel. Skiing. Art"
      "Hal Higdon is Senior Writer for Runner's World and author of 33 books,
      including the best-selling Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide, but he has
      written books on many subjects and for different age groups. His children's
      book, The Horse That Played Center Field, was made into an animated feature
      by ABC-TV. He ran eight times in the Olympic Trials and won four world
      masters championships. One of the founders of the Road Runners Club of
      America (RRCA), Higdon also was a finalist in NASA's Journalist-in-Space
      program to ride the space shuttle. He serves as a training consultant for
      The LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon and operates that race's Virtual Training
      that sends daily emails to more than 20,000 runners. An art major at
      Carleton College, he lately has begun to sell and exhibit his paintings in a
      Pop Art style. Hal's wife, Rose, hikes, bikes, skis and supports him in his
      running and writing. They have three children and eight grandchildren."
      Check out the site at:
      http://www.halhigdon.com/

      Send us your suggestions for our Five Star site. Please check our list
      of previous Five Star Sites available from the Five Star Window under
      the link "Previous Five Star Sites" as we do not wish to repeat a site
      unless it has undergone a major redesign.

      Be sure to check out our Flash Page where we list all recent additions
      to the Runner's Web. This page is updated before Monday morning each
      week.

      What research tells us about African runners: are they really genetically
      more gifted?
      African runners are genetically superior to white runners. Compared to
      whites, blacks are better suited for sports which involve short, explosive
      bursts of energy. Individuals from West Africa 'make' good sprinters, while
      people from East Africa are endurance types..
      Those are strong statements. Many people believe them. And implicit in the
      statements are two inferences that usually remain unstated: (1) If blacks
      are physically exceptional, then they don't have to go through the mental
      turmoil of constructing a rigorous training programme; they can just let
      their bodies work their magic. (2) Whites are at a disadvantage. Since
      they're handicapped by bad genes, and therefore by their anatomy and
      physiology, they will never be able to compete equally with Africans..
      More...from Peak Performance at:
      http://www.nes.coventry.ac.uk/modules/371SPO/runafrica.html

      Aerodynamics of Bicycles:
      Introduction: Aerodynamics and Friction Losses
      AERODYNAMICS have preoccupied bicycle designers since the early part of this
      century. The most advanced bicycles today are deployed in track racing. The
      recently unveiled SB II, or Superbike II, has a lightweight carbon-fiber
      frame. It also has a range of aerodynamic design elements. Similar features
      are incorporated into bicycles for some road-racing events in which Lance
      Armstrong competes.
      More...from Princeton University at:
      http://www.princeton.edu/~asmits/Bicycle_web/bicycle_aero.html

      Taper for Endurance Athletes:
      I give notice to members of my team that within a week or so of an
      international contest, I shall be using the 'rest principle' very much more
      than the 'train hard' principle. My experience as coach has convinced me of
      the great importance of the 'rest principle' in making peak performances."
      Forbes Carlile, legendary Australian swim coach
      "I seldom run hard in training leading up to a big race. There is little
      point in leaving my best work on the training track."
      John Walker, first man to run under 3:50 for the mile
      Competitive endurance athletes often focus on optimizing performance at just
      one or two major events during an entire season. They usually "taper" or
      drastically reduce the volume of their training preceding such important
      meets. Indeed, it is now widely accepted that a properly designed taper
      should be an integral part of any endurance athlete's preparation for a
      major competitive effort (for review, see Houmard and Johns, 1994). Most
      athletes look forward to a taper as a break from the rigors of intense
      training. On the other hand, many coaches approach the taper period with
      some trepidation, as they try to hit the right balance of training and
      recovery.
      More...from SportScience at:
      http://www.sportsci.org/news/traingain/taper.html

      Speedy recoveries raise the question: Do elite athletes heal faster?
      The art of medicine, Voltaire once said, consists of amusing the patient
      while Nature cures the disease. Well, when it comes to injured elite
      athletes, there's little time for amusement. Nature works double time.
      Just as elite sport and injuries seem to go hand and glove, so too does
      quick healing. It takes no effort to rhyme off a fistful of names who prove
      the point: hockey's Mats Sundin and Saku Koivu, three-time Tour de France
      victor Lance Armstrong, Olympic rower Silken Laumann, English soccer star
      David Beckham. All suffered significant fractures (Sundin and Beckham),
      serious injuries (Laumann), even life-threatening battles with cancer (Koivu
      and Armstrong) and yet were back competing in record time.
      Generally the speed with which elite athletes recuperate defies prediction.
      Often it defies logic. Sometimes, it appears to defy the laws of nature.
      It could make one wonder: Do elite athletes heal faster than the average
      person?
      It's a question that doesn't elicit a definite Yes or a firm No from sports
      medicine experts, the folks who work daily with the creme de la creme of the
      sporting world.
      More...from Canada.com at:
      http://www.canada.com/victoria/story.asp?id={7DC434FA-1285-4652-AE4A-0C3F35C
      A1EED}

      Carbohydrates Key to Keeping Weight Off:
      (HealthScoutNews) -- The Atkins Diet. The Carbohydrate Addicts Diet. The
      Sugarbusters Diet.
      Low-carbohydrate diets are all the rage among people trying to shed pounds.
      However, new research says such diets aren't the solution to maintaining a
      healthy body weight and practicing good nutrition.
      The key is eating a tried-but-true diet loaded with fruits, vegetables and
      whole grains such as wheat bread and brown rice, with smaller portions of
      lean meats, poultry and fish, according to a new study by the U.S.
      Department of Agriculture (news - web sites) (USDA).
      In other words, a diet in which you get most of your calories from
      carbohydrates.
      The reasoning is rather simple, says Shanthy Bowman, study author and a USDA
      nutritionist.
      If you eat more calories than you burn, you gain weight. If you eat fewer
      calories than you burn, you lose weight. To maintain your weight, keep
      things in equilibrium.
      In comparison to proteins or fats, carbohydrates tend to contain fewer
      calories for the same volume of food. That means a person who has a diet
      high in carbohydrates can eat more food than someone who eats mostly protein
      and fats -- all the while taking in less calories, Bowman says.
      The study appears in the June issue of the Journal of the American College
      of Nutrition.
      More...from Yahoo at:
      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=97&ncid=97&e=3&u=/hsn/200206
      03/hl_hsn/carbohydrates_key_to_keeping_weight_off
      [Multi-line URL]

      Going the distance:
      Domesticated `mamas' race for fun and adventure
      Last month I was bored. Bored with the laundry, bored with the tedium of
      domesticity and bored with the humdrum, day-to-day routine of my meagre
      existence. I figured it was time for a little adventure. And I figured it
      was time that my friends have a little adventure, too.
      So I signed up four of us for Storm The Trent, billed as Ontario's first
      "anyone can do it" adventure race, held in Peterborough last Sunday. Anyone
      can enter, solo or in teams of two or four. And for those who can't go the
      distance, there's a shorter option.
      It's no Eco-Challenge. But when I told my friends Deb Parberry, Sue
      Gallagher and Bonnie Mactavish, they balked.
      "Are you nuts?" they said.
      "But hey, it's a fun-filled, multi-sport adventure tour," I said. "It's
      supposed to be five hours of hiking, biking and canoeing along a
      63-kilometre mystery route in the Kawarthas. Could there be anything more
      fun?"
      More....from the Toronto Star at:
      http://www.thestar.ca/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Articl
      e_Type1&c=Article&cid=1022099734903&call_page=TS_Life&ca
      [Multi-line URL]

      Why Angry People Can't Control the Short Fuse:
      I slowed down as I approached a fork in the highway, unsure of which arm to
      take. The driver behind me was on my tail, so impatient that he tried to
      pass me on the right just as I headed for the right fork, forcing him to
      slam on his brakes.
      He became so infuriated that he pulled right in front of my car and each
      time I moved he repeatedly slammed on his brakes, forcing me to brake
      suddenly again and again, endangering not only me but himself and the driver
      behind me.
      While his road rage was short of a shooting, it was rage nonetheless and
      extremely unnerving.
      I consoled myself by thinking that he most likely had frequent temper
      tantrums and probably would die of a heart attack or stroke at an early age
      - if someone didn't kill him first.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/28/health/psychology/28BROD.html
      [Free Registration Required]

      Steroids: risky drugs remain medical unknown:
      POSSIBLE HEALTH COSTS HAVEN'T DETERRED USE
      When big-name baseball players such as Ken Caminiti turn to
      performance-enhancing drugs to try to hit farther and move to the top of
      their game, they are also unwittingly signing up for a massive -- and
      potentially dangerous -- experiment.
      Steroids and other drugs that might boost athletic ability may be prevalent
      in sports, but they are also, in many ways, a medical unknown, doctors and
      researchers say. There have been few studies that determine what extra
      strength the drugs may confer, or what long-term damage may arise.
      Doctors say, ``Don't.'' Athletes ask, ``Why not?'' The doctors can't provide
      a definitive answer.
      More...from the Mercury News at:
      http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/3393576.htm

      Triathlon Movie Premieres:
      On Saturday June 22, Endurance Films and Inside Triathlon will present the
      world premiere of "Triathlon -- Racing Faster" at the Historic Boulder
      Theater in Boulder, Colorado. The second in a series of triathlon films, it
      is a unique and pragmatic training guide to racing smarter and faster in
      triathlon competitions. It features World Champion Chris McCormack, Olympian
      Ryan Bolton, world's number one ranked Barb Lindquist, elite pros Wes
      Hobson, Pat Brown and Tony DeBoom, National Collegiate Champions Nick Cady,
      Teri Duthie and Sara Tarkington, internationally respected author and coach
      Joe Friel, as well as USA National Teams coach Michelle Blessing. Copies of
      the film can be reserved by visiting
      http://www.endurancefilms.com

      Shoo Shark, Shoo:
      Device Promises to Stave Off the Ocean Predators
      Often perceived as stalking hunters, sharks evoke primal fear in many
      A recent spate of shark attacks on the coasts of California and Florida
      proves that we continue to brazenly encroach on the natural habitat of the
      shark.
      Until now, the only defenses against the creatures have been shark cages and
      heavy chain-mail suits that only prevent serious puncture wounds.
      But for those who work in the water and love to play in it, the Shark Shield
      manufactured by South Australian-based SeaChange Technology promises
      protection with very few limitations.
      More Harm Than Good?
      But Dr. John McCosker, senior scientist and chair of aquatic biology at the
      California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco, says electronic currents
      intended to deter sharks may actually hurt the ocean's fragile ecosystem.
      More...from ABC News at:
      http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scitech/TechTV/techtv_sharkshield020606.html

      When Food Becomes Fat:
      (HealthScoutNews) -- The next time you're tempted to reach for that candy
      bar, remember this bit of depressing news from the American Journal of
      Physiology:
      The calories that you burn off don't matter, but 85 percent of all the extra
      calories you eat -- the ones that you don't burn up -- are converted
      directly to fat.
      If you under-eat, your metabolic rate will slow down to conserve energy --
      that's why it can be hard to lose weight. But it only works one way. If you
      over-eat, your body won't speed up to help burn it off.

      Bone-Building Exercise:
      (HealthScoutNews) -- For prevention of osteoporosis (soft bones), here's
      some advice for women on which forms of exercise are the
      most helpful.
      The European Journal of Radiology says the best sports seem to be those that
      call for lots of exertion for a short period of time,
      like tennis, sprinting or fencing.
      Some forms of exercise that keep you active for a long time but at a
      relatively low level of exertion -- such as walking, swimming
      or cycling -- are good for your muscles and heart, but won't really help
      develop bone mass.
      As for the heavy-duty stuff, like running a marathon, you should only
      consider that if you really enjoy it. The journal warns that
      endurance sports are more likely to cause problems than to prevent them.

      With a little creativity, you can work those rides into your busy schedule:
      I don't have the time to ride my bike on a consistent basis in order to
      train."
      I hear this a lot at workshops and clinics! It's the No. 1 reason given by
      cyclists for putting off a serious training program.
      And you know what - they're right. Training does take time, and time is
      getting harder and harder for all of us to find in our daily schedules.
      The trick is knowing where to find the time. Each of us has a different
      schedule. It may be impossible to ride at one time of the day, but much
      easier at another time of the day. The first step is to make an honest
      appraisal of your day.
      First, select a time of day when it's best for you to ride - morning,
      lunchtime or at night. Most cyclists prefer to ride after work during the
      week and try to get in their long rides on the weekends during the day.
      More...from Active.com at:
      http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=8788&sidebar=21&category=cycling

      Push Up the Weights, and Roll Back the Years:
      Though petite, I have always been a strong person - physically strong, with
      visible muscles. So why, I thought smugly, would I need to do
      strength-training exercises?
      Well, a few weeks ago I learned otherwise, and if you are a woman
      approaching 50 or beyond, you could do yourself a huge favor by reading the
      rest of this column and putting some of the lessons I have learned into
      practice.
      Even those of you who faithfully do aerobic activities may heed what follows
      because there is more to you than just a heart and lungs, and aerobic
      activities simply do not build all the muscles you need to stay in tip-top
      shape as you get older.
      How I Got Started
      The unrelenting progress of arthritis in my left knee had suddenly made
      walking difficult and tennis out of the question. Dr. Brian Halpern, an
      orthopedist specializing in sports medicine at the Hospital for Special
      Surgery, did a simple test. Having me raise one leg in various positions, he
      pressed down on it and asked me to resist his pressure.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/04/health/womenshealth/04BROD.html
      [Free Registration Required]

      The Scoop on Spinning:
      Spinning was created by world-class cyclist "Jonny G." Goldberg as a
      convenient and quick way to train for races. In 1989, he and John Baudhuin
      opened the first spinning center in Santa Monica, California and then
      developed a program to certify other spinning instructors. Curious to know
      about this spinning thing? The following info will help you decide if it's
      for you:
      More...from Yahoo at:
      http://health.yahoo.com/health/nutrition_fitness/ivillage_fitness.html

      McGregor cashes in en route to (hopefully) '04 Games:
      Katie McGregor is gaining unique recognition in Twin Cities running. Who
      else has to explain why collecting $5,000 for less than 34 minutes work was
      disappointing?
      A day after a stunning finishing kick by Kenyan John Itati left McGregor
      two-tenths of a second short of the $10,000 prize in the Life Time Fitness
      10-kilometer road race May 25 in downtown Minneapolis, she was able to smile
      and shrug.
      "It happens," she said.
      While a pack of 62 men had to wait at the start until 4 minutes, 36 seconds
      ticked off under the race's innovative "equalizer" system designed to give
      everyone the same shot at first overall, McGregor and 19 other women took
      off along the 6.2-mile course parallel to the Mississippi River.
      More...from the Pioneer Press at:
      http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/3376282.htm

      Olympic gold medallist loses election race
      ROME - Pietro Mennea, an Olympic gold medal sprinter, lost his latest race -
      a bid to be mayor of a southern Italian town.
      Mennea, a long-time world record-holder at 200 meters, made a run on a
      conservative ticket in Barletta, in the region of Puglia.
      Mennea lost Monday against a center-left ticket that had been victorious in
      the three previous municipal elections, the Italian news agency AGI
      reported.
      A star in the 1980 Moscow Olympics, Mennea also finished in the loser's
      circle last year when he made a bid for the Italian Senate.

      Oxygenated Water - Fact and Fiction in One, Expensive Burp:
      The scientific research behind oxygenated water -- a product growing in
      popularity throughout the country - leaves much to be desired, according to
      the latest issue of the Georgia Tech Sports Medicine & Performance
      According to Jim Brown, Ph.D. and executive editor of the newsletter, a 1997
      study conducted at a university in Texas became the basis for one of the
      latest in commercial sports-performance products. The concept of using
      oxygenated water - also called oxygenized water -- to enhance athletic
      performance caught on after the study's release. However, the study was
      seriously flawed, Brown writes.
      The study's sample was small (20 men, 5 women), the methods were suspect (no
      measure of whether the water actually delivered oxygen to the blood), and
      the premise itself had no scientific basis, according to Brown.
      "Nevertheless, the author and the manufacturer concluded the
      'oxygen-enhanced sports drink improved athletic performance,' and off to
      market they went," he writes.
      More...from the Georgia Institute of Technology at:
      http://www.news-info.gatech.edu/news_releases/sports-august2001.html
      Super Oxygenated Water - Is It Any Better Than Tap Water?
      Study Investigates Super Oxygenated Water Claims
      SAN DIEGO--The American Council on Exercise (ACE), America's nonprofit
      fitness advocate, today announced results of an ACE commissioned study of
      super oxygenated waters that promise higher energy, greater mental awareness
      and concentration and more energy to all athletes who are "looking for a
      competitive edge or anyone who wants to be truly healthy." The study tested
      the claims and compared the physical performance effects of several
      oxygenated water products to regular tap water.
      "At this time, there is no scientific evidence or logical rationale to
      suggest that drinking super oxygenated water can in any way increase the
      amount of oxygen in the blood stream," said Porcari. "Therefore, any
      potential benefits of super oxygenated water would undoubtedly be attributed
      to the placebo effect."
      More...from About.com at:
      http://sportsmedicine.about.com/library/weekly/aa022802a.htm

      Leafy veg diet cuts cancer risk:
      Eating a diet rich in leafy green vegetables can cut the risk of colon
      cancer by nearly half.
      Researchers at Liverpool University found that a daily serving of broccoli,
      cabbage, lettuce and sprouts, can reduce the cancer risk by 46%.
      Colon cancer is responsible for around 20,000 deaths a year in the UK.
      The leafy green vegetables contain fibre rich in the sugar galactose, which
      scientists believe could help prevent proteins called lectins from binding
      to the lining of the colon and causing damage.
      More...from the BBC at:
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/newsid_2028000/2028823.stm

      UK Pools fail health tests:
      More than half the swimming pools and spas tested in a nationwide survey
      have been criticised for poor water quality.
      The investigation, for consumer magazine Which? was carried out randomly by
      members of the Institute of Sport and Recreational Management.
      They took 61 water samples, and described less than half as good.
      The rest were either described as "adequate", while still falling outside
      accepted parameters, or worse.
      Nine of them, they said, "posed a health risk" - while three of these were
      described as "potentially serious".
      More...from the BBC at:
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/newsid_2027000/2027131.stm

      Stealth Insurance:
      Stay nimble with our foolproof, made-to-order regimen.
      FORGET BALANCE and agility-I was 27 and I wanted to get huge. Maybe not
      Schwarzenegger huge, but at least Springsteen huge. Three times a week I'd
      stretch, head outside for a late-winter run, and then swing by the Y to hit
      the bench press, the military press, and the leg sled-the machines, in my
      mind, that make you look good. Sit-ups? Who needed 'em, let alone a bunch of
      drills with a medicine ball. Sometime thereafter, of course, this
      one-dimensional regimen took its toll, when a pickup basketball game
      elicited an ominous ping in my mid-lower back. "It's a strain," the doctor
      said, as I stood bent like a man who'd spent five straight hours watching
      NBA games in a recliner. "Strain" is an awfully mild word for six weeks of
      shooting pain. The kind of pain that left me begging the night-shift ER
      resident for a refill of Elvis pills.
      More...from Outside Online at:
      http://outside.away.com/outside/bodywork/200202/200202bodywork_1.adp

      Races Coming Up:

      June 6-8, 2002:

      OFSAA Track & Field Championships - Bellville, ON
      http://mypages.allcanadiansport.ca/ofsaatrack2002/

      June 7-8, 2002:

      Relay for Life - Ottawa, ON
      http://www.cancer.ca/english/D_Relayforlife.asp

      June 8, 2002:

      NCAA's on TV on CBS 2 PM EDT

      Minnesota Distance Classic - Minneapolis, MN
      http://www.raceberryjam.com/distanceclassic.html

      Ironman Utah - Provo, UT
      http://www.ironmanutah.com/index01.shtml
      BYU Ironman Coverage
      http://newsnet.byu.edu/section.cfm/ironman

      Steamboat Classic 4 Mile - Peoria, IL
      http://www.steamboatclassic.org/

      Orange Classic 10K - Middletown, NY
      http://www.orangeclassic10k.com/

      New York Mini Marathon - NY
      http://www.nyrr.org/mini/

      Belgrade International Triathlon - Yugoslavia
      http://www.triathlon.org/international/int-2002/events/belgrade-2002/index.h
      tm

      Stockholm Marathon - Sweden
      http://www.marathon.se/

      Spitsbergen Marathon - Longyearbyen, Norway
      http://www.svalbard.com/marathon/index.html

      June 9, 2002:

      The Blackwater EagleMan Triathlon - Cambridge, MD
      http://www.tricolumbia.org/eagleman.htm

      5 & 10K Kinexsport - Gatineau, PQ
      http://www.eventsonline.ca/events/espa/

      Dash to Cure Diabetes 5/10K - Ottawa, ON
      http://www.eventsonline.ca/events/dashtocure/dashtocure.htm

      Gamagori World Cup - Japan
      http://www.triathlon.org/world-cup/wcup2002/events/gamagori-2002/index.htm

      Johnny Miles Marathon - New Glasgow, NS
      http://www.auracom.com/~fglays/johnmiles.htm

      Edge to Edge Marathon - Ucluelet, BC
      http://www.edgetoedgemarathon.com/

      Shropshire Triathlon - Ellesmere, UK
      <http://www.shropshire-cc.gov.uk/sport.nsf/1ce3fabc34d09cd8802567de007a5f42/
      9f2a1a2eeccf1ae880256b74004509ce!OpenDocument>
      [Multi-line URL]

      Litchfield Hills Road Race 7-Mile - Litchfield, CT
      http://www.lhrr.com/

      For more upcoming races check out the Runner's Web Races,
      Marathons and Calendars pages at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html or look at the "Coming Up"
      section on our FrontPage.

      Also check out the following site:
      This Week's Hot Links from Track and Field News at:
      http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/results/hotlinks.html

      For marathons only check out the Marathon Guide at:
      http://www.marathonguide.com/
      for a listing of both US and International Marathons.

      This Weeks Personal Postings/Releases:
      No personal postings this week.

      Television and Online Coverage:
      [Check local listings as event times are subject to change]

      June 8 2-4 p.m. NCAA Outdoor Championships: Baton Rouge, La. CBS

      June 8 5 p.m. Suzuki Rock 'n' Roll Marathon: San Diego FOX Sports Net

      June 9 4-5 p.m. U.S. Track & Field Open: Palo Alto, Calif. CBS

      June 12 10 p.m. Balance Bar 24-Hour Adventure Race: Phoenix OLN

      USA Track and Field 2002 Elite U.S. TV Schedule
      http://www.usatf.org/news/2002TVSchedule.shtml

      OLN Triathlon Broadcast Schedule:
      [PDF Format]
      <http://www.triathlon.org/tv/tv-2001/broadcast-schedule/oln-broadcast%20sche
      dule.pdf>
      [2 Line URL]

      TVGrid.com
      http://www.tvgrid.com/

      CBC Sports Schedule
      http://www.cbc.ca/sports/schedule/

      CTV Sportsnet
      http://www.ctvsportsnet.com/index.shtml

      Sundays @ 1P.M. EDT
      Track & Field: The Running Zone
      http://www.canoe.ca/TheRunningZone/home.html

      Runner's World VCR Alerts
      http://www.runnersworld.com/dailynew/home.html#vcr

      USATF summer track broadcasting listing
      http://www.usatf.org/news/2002TVSchedule.shtml

      SportsOxygen.com
      "A Woman's View of the World"
      http://www.oxygen.com/sports/

      Bikes on TV.com
      http://www.bikesontv.com/

      Send this to a Friend:
      Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they
      subscribe at:
      http://www.egroups.com/subscribe.cgi/RunnersWeb

      Your Feedback and Comments:
      Comments, contributions and feedback are always welcome via this list
      at: mailto:runnersweb@onelist.com and in our Runner's Web Forum or
      Guest Book, available off our FrontPage. If you post to the mailing list
      and get your email returned, please contact the Runner's Web at
      mailto:runnersweb@... to notify us of the problem. To update your
      Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the web site at
      http://www.egroups.com/subscribe.cgi/RunnersWeb, sign in and update your
      changes.

      Runner's Web
      runnersweb@... <mailto:runnersweb@...>