Runner's Web Digest - May 3, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , May 3 10:49 AM
      Runner's Web Digest - May 3, 2002

      Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html
      The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out our daily news
      features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more.

      For new subscribers:
      If you have any questions regarding the options available for receiving
      this digest, please do NOT email the list, rather email me directly at
      mailto:RunnersWeb@...

      This newsletter has been composed using Outlook set to text format. The
      Runner's Web Digest is a weekly digest of information on running,
      triathlons and multisport activities. It is sent via an email list at
      http://www.eGroups.com which allows all users to communicate with
      everyone on the list.

      3. By accessing the eGroups.com web site on demand.

      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for
      viruses. Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor (me) prior
      to being released to the group.

      NOTE********************************************************************
      [Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two
      lines. If you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you paste
      the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or
      another appropriate suffix]

      References/URLs:
      Most references in the digest which do not have a specific URL listed
      here are available from the Runner's Web FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html
      Also, if have email software that does not read HTML, all links
      contained in the Digest are available from the Runner's Web Site or from
      me.
      All URLs listed here have been verified as of the Digest publication
      date. It is possible that the site may have archived or deleted the page
      after publication.
      If you are unable to reach a URL listed here, ensure that you are using
      the entire URL (see above).
      If you still cannot reach the site, please email me at
      mailto:runnersweb@... and I will try to track it down.

      New This Week:
      We have no personal posting(s) this week. Personal Postings (when
      available) are located after the Upcoming Section towards the bottom of
      the newsletter.

      This week's poll is: "What duathlon format would you prefer?

      The previous poll was: "How low do you think the women's world marathon
      best time will go in your lifetime?"
      Results at publication time were:

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage as well as voting on and/or
      checking the results of previous polls.

      If you feel you have something to say that is worthy of a Guest Column
      on the Runner's Web, email us at
      mailto:RunnersWeb@...
      or leave your comments in one of our Forums available from our FrontPage.

      Our Photo of the Week, which was being updated several times during the
      week, has been replaced with the Photo Slideshow which will have a
      random number of photos you can cycle through. Check it out from our
      FrontPage.

      The FiveStar Site of the Week:
      The next FiveStar Site of the Week for next week is: the American Running
      Association.
      The American Running Association is a non-profit, educational association of
      runners, medical professionals and corporations dedicated to promoting
      running nationwide. For over 30 years, The American Running Association and
      its sister organization, The American Medical Athletic Association, have
      been influential clearinghouses, providing information and support to
      runners nationwide. All proceeds support the association's mission.
      Check out this site at:
      http://www.americanrunning.org/

      Send us your suggestions for our Five Star site. Please check our list
      of previous Five Star Sites available from the Five Star Window under the
      link "Previous Five Star Sites" as we do not wish to repeat a site
      unless it has undergone a major redesign.

      Be sure to check out our Flash Page where we list all recent additions to
      the Runner's Web. This page is updated before Monday morning each
      week.

      May 6, 1954 - The First Sub 4 Minute Mile:
      Here's how Roger Bannister himself described one of the greatest moments in
      sports:
      "There was complete silence on the ground ... a false start ... I felt angry
      that precious moments during the lull in the wind might be slipping by. The
      gun fired a second time ... Brasher went into the lead and I slipped in
      effortlessly behind him, feeling tremendously full of running. My legs
      seemed to meet no resistance at all, as if propelled by some unknown force.
      More...from The Four Minute Mile! at:
      http://faculty.rmwc.edu/tmichalik/4min.htm

      Endurance Sports Newsletter - E-Feature Showcase:
      Bay to Breakers: Is the Party Over?
      On a chilly morning more than a decade ago, I stood across the street
      from the Pacific Ocean waiting to witness my first Bay to Breakers
      finish. Despite a thick fog and a bone-chilling breeze that not even my
      scalding-hot coffee could neutralize, the front-runners proved
      impressive.
      In fact, it was worth the 100-mile, early morning drive just to see
      Olympic marathon champion Joan Benoit Samuelson cross the finish line
      wearing oversized lobster-shaped gloves.
      However, it wasn't until the costumed multitudes began to arrive - a
      scenario I since have witnessed several times - that the true stories of
      the running event billed as the world's largest footrace began to
      unfold.
      Inhibition gave way to creativity as the masses paraded through the
      finish area. Shouting a variety of personal approvals, waves of
      celebrating runners continued to arrive - many in strange attire, some
      even sans clothes.
      Despite the mass enthusiasm, which will again unfold May 19 at the
      event's 89th edition, I watched numerous runners cross the line with
      bloodied limbs and faces. There were runners with frightened expressions
      struggling through the final strides. Others hobbled across the massive
      finish-line scaffolding suffering, their bodies mush after undertaking
      the 7.5-mile journey inappropriately trained.
      Unfortunately, despite my advocacy as a veteran long-distance runner and
      running journalist, it is the aforementioned images and other
      circumstances that have fostered my mixed feelings about Bay to
      Breakers.
      On the positive side, when the estimated 50,000 runners make their way
      through the city's streets, the excitement will likely provide incentive
      for many first-timers to remain active in the sport.
      For me, that's important. Watching someone get motivated about running
      and monitoring their improvement (just as friends did for me when I
      began to run in 1983), bolsters camaraderie and a friendly competitive
      spirit within the running community.
      Additionally, as the world's largest footrace, Bay to Breakers generates
      enormous local and national media attention. This is certainly good for
      the sport since most running events are buried on the back pages of
      newspaper sports sections or not mentioned at all.
      Bay to Breakers, in fact, may get more coverage than it deserves. But if
      running is benefiting and it draws some attention away from the behemoth
      prima donnas of many mainstream sports - if only momentarily - then I'm
      pleased.
      Nevertheless, Bay to Breakers and the runners who participate in the
      event are often far from wonderful.
      Unfortunately, the race has developed bad habits over the years. And as
      a consequence, I know most of my running friends and acquaintances don't
      ever consider Bay to Breakers as an important part of their running
      calendar.
      One strictly personal frustration is motivated by false ego. I can't
      remember how many times I've heard various versions of the following
      conversation in coffee shops, on airplanes or at the grocery store.
      First person: ''I got my run in this morning, and I feel great. You
      ought to get into running."
      Second person: ''I'm into running; I run Bay to Breakers every year.
      Another example of the same conversation usually begins:
      First person: ''I like to run in the morning before going to work."
      Second person: ''Oh, you're a runner. Then you must have run Bay to
      Breakers.''
      Running in the Bay to Breakers is fine. But it doesn't count to run one
      event each year, do little or no training between appearances at the
      race, and call yourself a runner.
      Considering the size and lack of experience of the masses, injuries are
      not uncommon during Bay to Breakers.
      Hundreds of scrapes, bruises and cuts are reported each year. And each
      year, as a matter of mathematical probability, there are always a few
      cardiac victims.
      Even deaths occur, as in the case of my friend's father, Kenny King,
      Sr., who died at age 77 while participating in the 1988 race.
      Collect 50,000 or more runners or gather 50,000 or more people doing
      anything and it's likely they'll be problems.
      And with this in mind, perhaps Bay to Breakers organizers should
      consider limiting the field. The race goes to great lengths to provide
      adequate medical precautions. But if a runner needs medical attention,
      why risk not being able to help someone, simply because they couldn't be
      attended to quickly enough?
      Unfortunately, the runners don't help themselves, either. They line up
      at inappropriate positions at the starting line, usually too close to
      the front of the pack. This prompts confusion when faster runners
      attempt to pass slower participants.
      The result is that runners can literally get trampled. Further, when the
      same ignorant runners compete at other events, they bring their bad Bay
      to Breakers habits with them.
      Worse, I've heard tales of unsuspecting runners crashing into parking
      meters or swarms of runners running over the tops of parked cars,
      particularly near the start when the crowds are the thickest. This
      hardly puts the sport's best foot forward.
      Many middle-of-the-pack runners, keen to the predicament, often jump
      into the event, unofficially, from alleys during the first mile. Of
      course, this practice is unfair to the runners who have waited patiently
      at the designated start.
      Perhaps my opinion is a minority voice, but as a one-person protest, I
      won't be running Bay to Breakers.
      However, I am not completely calloused.
      Best of luck to all entrants. Be kind and courteous to your fellow
      runner. May you finish strong and unscathed, and may you be motivated to
      run more than once a year.

      Reprinted with Permission of James Raia
      E-mail: RaiaRuns@...
      Web site: http://www.byjamesraia.com
      Irreverent, pertinent, timely, free. The Endurance Sports Newsletter.

      Add Miles to Your Gallop:
      (HealthScoutNews) -- Like tuning up your car to increase its gas mileage,
      eating more magnesium-rich foods improves your body's conversion of food to
      energy.
      According to studies by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (news - web
      sites), women age 55 to 70 were able to ride an exercise bike for equal
      lengths of time regardless of whether they were getting enough magnesium.
      But they burned 15 percent more oxygen while on a magnesium-poor diet, and
      their heart rates averaged nine beats a minute faster.
      In other words, they got fewer miles to the metabolic gallon.
      To get more magnesium, eat more greens (especially spinach, Swiss chard,
      kale and lettuce) and grains (especially brans). You can also take a mineral
      supplement that includes magnesium -- but don't take more than 350
      milligrams a day. An oversupply of magnesium will cause neurological
      problems and can also be dangerous to people who have reduced kidney
      function.

      TIMEX Introduces the Revolutionary Speed and Distance System Sportwatch:
      By Staff for Ironmanlive.com on Fri, Apr 26th 2002 (12:49 PM).
      The new system, utilizing GPS technology and satellites with atomic clocks,
      makes it possible for runners, skiers, kayakers, mountain bikers - anybody
      covering distance in the great outdoors - to accurately answer the
      all-important questions: how far and how fast? All with pinpoint accuracy.
      America's premier watchmaker has announced a major breakthrough in wrist
      instruments for athletes of all kinds with its Ironman Speed & Distance
      System. Working with global positioning system (GPS) industry leader GarminĀ®
      International, the new system makes it possible for runners, skiers,
      kayakers, mountain bikers - anybody covering distance in the great outdoors
      - to accurately answer the all-important questions: how far and how fast?
      More...from IronmanLive at:
      http://vnews.ironmanlive.com/vnews/topstories/1019842272

      South Pole Marathon:
      The inaugural race was a subzero struggle that ended in bitter arguments,
      threatened lawsuits and even a complaint to the FBI.
      Somehow they finished this frozen ordeal, this 26.2-mile slog across the
      icy, wind-raked bottom of the world. More amazing is the fact that Richard
      Donovan and Dean Karnazes got along for the three weeks leading up to the
      inaugural South Pole Marathon. You should see them now, with their claws
      out, swiping at one another like contestants in a small-town beauty pageant.
      Karnazes has informed Donovan (whom he calls "a creep") that he has reported
      him to the FBI and the State Department. Donovan speaks of his intention to
      sue Karnazes (who he says is "unhinged") and Adventure Network International
      (ANI), the outfit that put on the event and, Donovan insists, still owes him
      $22,000 for winning it.
      More...from CNNSI at:
      http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/siadventure/14/south_pole/

      Kids saying 'No' to helmets:
      Studies have shown that many car accidents happen close to home.
      The same may or may not hold true for scooter, bicycle and skateboard
      mishaps but kids are using the excuse -- that they're riding close to home
      -- for not wearing a helmet.
      A new survey by the National Safe Kids Campaign shows kids don't wear
      helmets for a number of reasons. CNN Medical Correspondent Rea Blakey has
      more.
      CNN Newspass Video at:
      http://www.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/parenting/05/02/kids.helmets/index.html

      Snack smart:
      Tips for Triathlete's On the Go Lifestyle
      Life in the 21st century is busy. Americans are typically eating out and on
      the go more often. With less time spent on meal preparation snacks can make
      up approximately one quarter of daily energy and nutrient intake. It is
      therefore extremely important for athletes that their snacks are varied,
      nutritionally dense and taste good!
      If you have greater energy needs, long spaces between meals, or often eat
      "on the go," then snacks can play an important role in helping you meet your
      daily nutrient and energy needs. If there will be more than four hours
      between your meals, a snack will boost metabolism and prevent blood sugar
      and energy levels from falling too low.
      More...from InsideTri at:
      http://www.insidetri.com/train/cts/articles/907.0.html

      Do We Need All That Water?
      Eight-glasses-a-day rule may go overboard.
      No matter where you look these days, it seems someone is drinking water. We
      carry bottles of water to the gym, to the mall and on airplanes. At work, we
      make multiple trips to the water cooler, and for more than just gossip.
      Everyone from nutritionists to diet gurus claims that drinking lots and lots
      of water can help you lose weight, make your skin rosy and supple and flush
      toxins from your system. It's especially important, they say, because we
      supposedly suffer consistently from low-grade dehydration.
      But is all this chug-a-lugging doing us any good?
      Not really, say other health and medical experts.
      More...from HealthScout at:
      http://www.healthscout.com/template.asp?page=newsdetail&ap=1&id=111079

      Building a healthy respect for exercise:
      Margaret Brady and her co-workers at Morrissey & Co. practically have to
      chase after their boss when they join him for walks along Boston's Charles
      River.
      The two- to three-mile jaunts are CEO Peter Morrissey's version of an
      employee wellness program for his 11-worker public relations firm.
      "The 45 minutes to the hour that I'm out, I just feel that . . . the cobwebs
      that you get after the coffee buzz wears off are gone," Brady said.
      As health care costs increase, a rising number of companies are using
      workplace wellness programs to improve employees' health and reduce medical
      claims. These programs generally provide health information, and many also
      offer free or low-cost services such as medical checkups and weight
      management and smoking cessation classes. Some include fitness centers or
      subsidized memberships to local gyms.
      More...from Cleveland.com at:
      http://www.cleveland.com/business/plaindealer/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_
      standard.xsl?/base/business/101990017826098187.xml
      [Multi-line URL]

      Blake's Pray Is Running From Her Pain, Past:
      TAMPA - After a single meeting, Ashley Pray leaves her new friend with a
      warm embrace. It's her way of holding on after so many losses.
      Pray is a runner, but it's not so much the finish line she's running toward
      as the memories of four painful years she seems to be running from.
      Yet, the aches she has felt lately have less to do with family tragedies,
      and more to do with her recent diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis.
      ``I never knew what was causing the pain,'' said Pray, 17. ``I had hot and
      cold flashes and my joints would stiffen up. At night I couldn't move. I
      would lie real still in bed and hope it would go away.''
      Her discomfort is obvious as she takes warm-up laps, running stiffly around
      the track. She stays on the grass skirting the asphalt because shin splints
      are causing additional pain.
      Sometimes, she said, her back, hips, arms and legs feel like cement.
      More...from Tampa Bay Online at:
      http://sports.tbo.com/sports/MGAMRWPTF0D.html

      The Runner and the Path:
      An Athlete's Quest for Meaning in Postmodern Corporate America.
      By Dean Ottati
      This is a book that can change your life.
      "Ottati takes us on the Runner's Path, which is familiar to all runners
      everywhere, because it is the path to meaning. There are many books on the
      mechanics. This one is of the mind, and finding our way. Congratulations,
      and many thanks, to Dean Ottati for his inspiring and gripping journey into
      the runner's heart."
      -Bernd Heinrich, author of
      Racing the Antelope
      An excerpt from The Runner and the Path:
      Chapter 1 - Running With Marc
      "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only
      the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to
      teach, and not, when I come to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not
      wish to practice resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to
      live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and
      Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath
      and shave close, to drive life into a corner and reduce it to its lowest
      terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine
      meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world; or if it were
      sublime, to know it by experience, and be able to give a true account of it
      in my next excursion." ---Henry David Thoreau, Walden
      More...
      http://www.breakawaybooks.com/
      Buy the book at Amazon.com at:
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1891369288/runnersweb

      Why weight/strength training and what are the benefits ?
      The benefits of weight training, in correct dosages, are enormous. Every
      athlete makes the mistake of not putting back into their body what running
      takes out. An automobile needs services to maintain it in working order.
      However, an athlete does not maintain their body in the same way.
      Why ? When the plain truths are there to be seen by everyone. Strength
      training adds to avoiding injuries as well as a proven factor in improving
      performance. What more could one want, in your pursuit of an injury free
      running life with personal bests included ?
      The fears of the negative effects, due to weight training
      As mentioned if you apply weight training correctly their should only be the
      positive effects. Runners need strength from their muscles, not bulk. You do
      not see a 'bulky' world class marathoner.
      More...from Time-to-Run at:
      http://www.time-to-run.com/strength/why.htm

      Researchers find creatine supplements may aid older men, but they stop short
      of recommending it:
      Creatine may not be just for young athletes. Older men who took the
      supplement increased strength in just a week, a study found. Athletes use
      creatine to get stronger for competition. But this study indicates the
      supplement may help older men in such ordinary things as getting out of a
      chair.
      "There was added value for many of the typical activities of daily life,"
      said researcher William Kraemer of the University of Connecticut. "We were
      surprised it carried over into daily life activities."
      Creatine helps recharge the energy used in short-burst activities such as
      sprints or weight lifting. The amino acid is made naturally in the liver and
      kidneys, and is stored in the muscles. But the body's creatine stores are
      limited, and it can use quickly what it has stored.
      More...from Canada.com at:
      http://canada.medbroadcast.com/health_news/articles/template3.asp?0501_6881.
      html

      USA Triathlon Demographics:
      All 2001 USA Triathlon membership figures reported within this document
      reflect the totals of people who joined or renewed their membership with USA
      Triathlon after Jan. 1, 2001 through Dec. 31, 2001 (having an expiration
      date greater than Jan. 1, 2002). Individuals who expired within 2001 and did
      not opt to renew their membership are not included. Peak membership in 2001
      is not reflected.
      Please be aware that these numbers show a variance due to one or more of the
      following factors: 1) inability to access exact data due to the rolling
      membership of USA Triathlon 2) information not provided by participants/
      members 3) multi-year memberships.
      Membership Activity (full-year licenses)
      1993: 15,937
      1994: 15,194
      1995: 15,620
      1998: 16,461
      1999: 19,060
      2000: 21,341
      2001: 29,886
      More...from USA Triathlon at:
      http://www.usatriathlon.org/demographics.htm

      Ergo Tackles `Numb-Butt' Issues as Consumers Demand a Comfortable Bicycle
      Seat:
      SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 29, 2002--Consumer demand for comfort was
      one of the hottest topics at a national bicycle industry conference in San
      Antonio, Texas this spring.
      That's good news for Tom White, an award-winning inventor and president of
      Ergo, LLC, manufacturer of an innovative, ergonomic bicycle seat called "The
      SEAT" which is designed to alleviate the pain and numbness caused by
      conventional "saddle-style" seats.
      "Dealers at the conference validated our findings that there is strong
      consumer demand by bicycle riders for comfort," White said. "In addition,
      our informal surveys show that many dealers sell about three seats for every
      bike they sell as riders search for the ultimate comfortable seat." The
      conference was a joint event sponsored by the National Bicycle Dealers
      Association and the Bicycle Product Suppliers Association. Both
      organizations believe comfort is a big opportunity in the industry and they
      will likely add "comfort" as a category to their market research on trends
      and sales.
      More...from Business Wire at:
      http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/f_headline.cgi?day0/221190078&ticker=

      Writer finds her roots on the marathon course:
      A new serial novel ``Hachigatsu no Hate'' (Beyond August) by
      second-generation ethnic Korean writer Yu Miri started running last week in
      the evening edition of the vernacular Asahi Shimbun. The protagonist of the
      novel, which is set in colonized Korea and postwar Japan, is modeled after
      Yu's maternal grandfather, who was a marathon runner when Korea was under
      Japanese rule.
      The prominent writer's first attempt at delving into her roots is a
      fictional look at exchanges between the people of Japan and Korea during and
      after Japan's colonization of its neighboring country.
      Yu's grandfather was born in Miryang in the present-day Republic of Korea
      (South Korea) in 1912. During World War II, he was a top runner who kept
      winning marathon races in his native land. Had it not been for the war, he
      probably would have made it to the Olympics. However, when the war ended, he
      gave up running, left his family and smuggled himself into Japan. Why? What
      drove him to such drastic behavior, changing his fate and that of his
      family? His life has been shrouded in mystery ever since.
      More...from Asahi.com at:
      http://www.asahi.com/english/culture/K2002042600613.html

      From Runner's World:
      Rebuild your achy post-run joints
      If your joints ache after running, they may be wearing away from age-related
      degeneration. Two joint nutrients called chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine
      may alleviate joint pain caused by wear and tear. Studies show that taking
      about 1500 milligrams daily of each of these supplements helps to lessen
      pain and improve joint function. Since chondroitin and glucosamine work by
      actually building new cartilage, pain relief using these supplements takes
      time. Expect to wait as long as 2 months before your feel a difference.

      "Wear racing shoes for 5-Ks and 10-Ks, then switch to trainers for
      longer races. The theory here is that you can't do much damage in
      shorter races. So, if you like having a pair of racing shoes in your
      closet, fine. Take them out for the short races. Leave them behind when
      you race a half-marathon or marathon." - RW Magazine

      "Seeing yourself improve is the first step toward actually getting
      faster or running longer. Once a week, visualize a tougher
      workout---those extra 2 miles on your long run, faster splits during
      speedwork, more climbs up that steep hill---as you progress toward your
      anticipated goal, whether it's a 20-mile run or a faster 5-K." - Jeff
      Galloway

      Run for your life:
      Marathon doc says exercise is mainstay of healthy aging.
      Sporting red sneakers and Bermuda shorts, Dr. Walter M. Bortz ran his first
      Boston Marathon at age 41. By the time he crossed the finish line, all the
      bleachers had been taken down.
      Come Monday, the 72-year-old Bortz will run the 26.2-mile race -- again.
      With him at the starting line will be his wife, Ruth Anne, who is 71.
      It's more than just a race for the Portola Valley geriatrician. For Bortz, a
      nationally recognized expert and author on aging, it's a chance to show that
      exercise is the key to healthy aging.
      More...from the SacBee at:
      http://www.sacramento.com/portal/recreation/cycling_running/story/2155871p-2
      542636c.html
      [Multi-line URL]

      At Nike, Function Over Fashion:
      BEAVERTON, Ore. -- John Hoke has been known to carry a sketchbook while
      jogging, and for good reason. As the new footwear design director at Nike
      Inc., he is responsible for developing the company's next entries in a
      highly competitive industry, one that Nike dominates - though not easily.
      Athletic shoes - or "working sculptures," as Mr. Hoke likes to call them -
      must satisfy not only the sports professionals who are crucial to the Nike
      brand but also everyday athletes looking for the latest edge.
      Mr. Hoke, 37, an architect who has been a Nike marketer and designer for 10
      years, brings unusual credentials to the job, which Nike created this month
      to revitalize shoe designs that critics said were growing tired and too
      dependent on looks. He once worked for Michael Graves, the architect from
      Princeton University who designs consumer products for the Target
      Corporation.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/28/business/yourmoney/28PROF.html
      [Free Registration Required]

      New Triathlon Australia Website to be launched soon!
      Watch this space... the brand new TA website is set to be launched on Monday
      the 6th May 2002.
      The new site, built by Accenture, is one of the first to be constructed
      entirely in a Microsoft .NET environment and features extensive use of
      Microsoft Passport technology for added user security. It is a
      database-driven site and will have several new features, including online
      race entry, online shopping and the ability to support a new national TA
      membership database/renewal system.
      More...
      http://www.triathlon.org.au/

      Running: Keeping your body fueled the right way:
      What to eat, when to eat, why to eat: Simplifying the science of nutrition
      and how it pertains to runners.
      For the past two months, this column has featured tips on injury prevention,
      running shoes, training plans and racing tactics. This installment offers
      nutrition advice for before, during or after a difficult or important
      workout or race.
      Mary Coordt, a top area marathoner and nutritionist, said she sees five
      common nutrition mistakes by runners:
      * Not eating before a run or race.
      * Eating too close to a run or race.
      * Not drinking enough during long runs.
      * Not eating after long or intense workouts.
      * Eating something new before a big race.
      "If you can, you should fuel up before you run," Coordt said. "Not only do
      your muscle cells need the source of energy, but your brain needs glucose to
      function and feel alert."
      More...from the SacBee at:
      http://www.sacramento.com/portal/recreation/cycling_running/story/2219491p-2
      613271c.html

      The truth behind cool-downs:
      Every workout is important, but perhaps none is more important than your
      next one, because stringing workouts together--one after another after
      another--is the key to a successful training programme. And how do you put
      together this string?
      If you follow these six guidelines after every training session, you'll find
      yourself running better on subsequent days. The consistency and quality of
      your training will improve, and you'll run faster in upcoming races.
      By making sure you finish off today's workout with a complete cool-down
      routine. It's the best way to recover while you prepare yourself, body and
      mind, for your next run. Here are six ways to guarantee you get a complete
      cool down:
      More...from the World of Endurance at:
      http://worldofendurance.com/runnersguide/focus_column.asp

      Learn how to pace your race;
      [From Runner's World South Africa]
      Knowing how fast to run at the start, in the mid-section and end of a race
      can mean the difference between personal best or personal meltdown.
      Familiarise yourself with the feeling of different paces. Head for the
      track: When doing 400m repeats always start the first one slightly slower.
      Use the feel of the first repeat to get closer to your target time. Always
      approach the target time from the slow side. End your session with a few
      200m repeats at your target race pace to get the feel.

      Dispelling the Fictions That Can Keep Women Weak:
      In an 1879 textbook, an American gynecologist advised that girls "spend the
      year before and two years after puberty at rest." Each menstrual period, he
      added, should be endured in "the recumbent position" until the girls'
      systems could adjust to "the new order of life."
      Another medical specialist wrote that excessive exercise by women would have
      a negative effect on "the genital organs, for they tend to decay."
      For centuries, the author of this provocative and inspirational book reminds
      us, such ideas kept women "shackled to a perception of themselves as weak
      and ineffectual." It is hardly surprising, she writes, "that girls retreated
      to the drawing room, preferring to train themselves in needlework and other
      feminine arts rather than lend themselves to the possibility of genital
      decay."
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/23/health/womenshealth/23MYTH.html
      [Free Registration Required]

      Running efficiency:
      Running efficiency or economic running. It sounds important, but what
      exactly does it mean? Is it finding a pair of high-tech running shoes for
      R200 at a shoe sale? No. Running economy refers to how much oxygen you use
      when you run.
      When you improve your economy, you can run at a smaller percentage of max
      VO2 (your maximum rate of oxygen utilization), so runs feel easier therefore
      you become more efficient.
      What's more, improving running efficiency by even 1 percent can shave at
      least 10 seconds from your 5K time. Here are five proven ways to become more
      economic:
      More...from World of Endurance at:
      http://worldofendurance.com/frontpage/training_column.asp

      Peppermint Peps Up Running Performance:
      In the category of "believe it or not," researchers linked improved
      performance of physical activities to the odor of peppermint. Forty athletes
      performed a series of physical tasks under two conditions-without smelling
      peppermint odor and while smelling peppermint. The peppermint condition
      resulted in increases in running speed, handgrip strength, and number of
      push-ups, as compared to the odorless condition, but had no effect on
      performance of skill-based tasks such as basketball free throws. The
      performance effect may be linked to the psychological lift the smell of
      peppermint may provide. Perhaps the invigorating smell lowers ratings of
      perceived exertion.
      It may take some creativity to figure out how to capitalize on the ergogenic
      effect of peppermint odor. Wear a potpourri around your neck? Pocket a
      bottle of peppermint oil and uncap and sniff when your energy is flagging.
      The results of the study may be significant enough to make it worth a try.
      Certainly this is one ergogenic aid in which there is no possibility of ill
      effects or doping scandal. It should pass the test of even the most
      stringent purists.
      (Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 2001, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 156)

      Races Coming Up:

      May 4, 2002:

      Indianapolis Life 500 Festival Mini-Marathon - IN
      http://www.500festival.com/

      Gatineau Park Duathlon & Relay - PQ
      http://www.somersault.ca/2gatineau.html

      May 5, 2002:

      Vancouver International Marathon - BC
      http://www.vanmarathon.bc.ca/

      Bloomsday Run - Spokane, WA
      http://www.bloomsdayrun.org/

      World Half-Marathon Championships - Brussels, Belgium
      http://www.brussels2002.be/
      Irisrun.be
      http://www.irisrun.be/

      Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon - OH
      http://www.flyingpigmarathon.com/

      St. Croix Triathlon - US Virgin Islands
      http://www.stcroixtriathlon.com/

      Powerman Tennessee - College Grove, TN
      http://www.team-magic.com/pmtn.htm

      Pittsburgh Marathon - PA
      http://www.upmc.edu/pghmarathon/

      Broad Street Run - Philadelphia, PA
      http://www.broadstreetrun.com/

      Sporting Life 10K - Toronto, ON
      http://www.runnerschoice.com/ontario/sl10/sl10.htm

      A Look Ahead:
      May 11-12, 2002:
      National Capital Race Weekend - Ottawa, ON
      http://www.ncm.ca
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/NationalCapitalMarathon.html

      For more upcoming races check out the Runner's Web Races,
      Marathons and Calendars pages at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html or look at the "Coming Up"
      section on our FrontPage.

      Also check out the following site:
      This Week's Hot Links from Track and Field News at:
      http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/results/hotlinks.html

      This Weeks Personal Postings/Releases:
      None.

      Television and Online Coverage:
      [Check local listings as event times are subject to change]

      USA Track and Field 2002 Elite U.S. TV Schedule
      http://www.usatf.org/news/2002TVSchedule.shtml

      OLN Triathlon Broadcast Schedule:
      [PDF Format]
      <http://www.triathlon.org/tv/tv-2001/broadcast-schedule/oln-broadcast%20sche
      dule.pdf>
      [2 Line URL]

      TVGrid.com
      http://www.tvgrid.com/

      CBC Sports Schedule
      http://www.cbc.ca/sports/schedule/

      CTV Sportsnet
      http://www.ctvsportsnet.com/index.shtml

      Sundays @ 1P.M. EDT
      Track & Field: The Running Zone
      http://www.canoe.ca/TheRunningZone/home.html

      Runner's World VCR Alerts
      http://www.runnersworld.com/dailynew/home.html#vcr

      USATF summer track broadcasting listing
      http://www.usatf.org/news/2002TVSchedule.shtml

      SportsOxygen.com
      "A Woman's View of the World"
      http://www.oxygen.com/sports/

      Bikes on TV.com
      http://www.bikesontv.com/

      Send this to a Friend:
      Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they
      subscribe at:
      http://www.egroups.com/subscribe.cgi/RunnersWeb

      Your Feedback and Comments:
      Comments, contributions and feedback are always welcome via this list
      at: mailto:runnersweb@onelist.com and in our Runner's Web Forum or
      Guest Book, available off our FrontPage. If you post to the mailing list
      and get your email returned, please contact the Runner's Web at
      mailto:runnersweb@... to notify us of the problem. To update your
      Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the web site at
      http://www.egroups.com/subscribe.cgi/RunnersWeb, sign in and update your
      changes.

      Runner's Web
      runnersweb@... <mailto:runnersweb@...>