Runner's Web Digest - December 7, 2001

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2001
      Runner's Web Digest - December 7, 2001

      Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html
      The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out our daily news
      features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more.

      For new subscribers:
      If you have any questions regarding the options available for receiving
      this digest, please do NOT email the list, rather email me directly at
      mailto:RunnersWeb@...

      This newsletter has been composed using Outlook set to text format. The
      Runner's Web Digest is a weekly digest of information on running,
      triathlons and multisport activities. It is sent via an email list at
      http://www.eGroups.com which allows all users to communicate with
      everyone on the list.

      3. By accessing the eGroups.com web site on demand.

      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for
      viruses. Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor (me) prior
      to being released to the group.

      NOTE********************************************************************
      [Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two
      lines. If you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you paste
      the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or
      another appropriate suffix]

      here are available from the Runner's Web FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html
      Also, if have email software that does not read HTML, all links
      contained in the Digest are available from the Runner's Web Site or from
      me.
      All URLs listed here have been verified as of the Digest publication
      date. If you are unable to reach a URL listed here, please email me at
      mailto:runnersweb@... and I will try to track it down.

      New This Week:
      The winner of last week's Pegasus Quiz was Paul Stone of Guelph, Ontario
      correctly identified John J. Hayes as the last American to win the Olympic
      Marathon prior to Frank Shorter winning in Munich.

      "Heroes in our Midst" Contest:
      Win a free copy of "Heroes in our Midst", edited by Robin Mednick and
      Wendy Thomas, a collection of 110 personal stories from Canada's top
      athletes. For more information, go to the Runner's Web FrontPage at:
      http://www.RunnersWeb.com
      Each Monday morning for the next several months we will post a trivia
      question on the Runner's Web FrontPage.
      The first correct answer (based on email date and time stamp) will win a
      copy of the book autographed by Canadian Olympic triathlete, Sharon
      Donnelly.
      Check out our FrontPage every Monday for this new quiz.

      This week's new poll is: "How many hours per week do you spend training and
      competing?"

      Our poll this past week was: "Are you concerned with the potential removal
      of the sport of triathlon from the Olympics?"
      The results at publication time were:
      No 20
      Yes 79
      No opinion/don't care 7
      Total Votes: 106

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage as well as voting on and/or
      checking the results of previous polls.

      If you feel you have something to say that is worthy of a Guest Column
      on the Runner's Web, email us at
      mailto:RunnersWeb@...
      or leave your comments in one of our Forums available from our FrontPage.

      Our Photo of the Week, which was being updated several times during the
      week, has been replaced with the Photo Slideshow which will have a
      random number of photos you can cycle through. Check it out from our
      FrontPage.

      The FiveStar Site of the Week:
      Our FiveStar site of the week for next week is: Marius Bakken Online.
      Marius is a Norwegian Olympian with 13.11.30 5000 meter time to his credit.
      Check out his fact-filled athletics web site at:
      http://www.mariusbakken.com/

      Send us your suggestions for our Five Star site. Please check our list of
      previous Five Star Sites available from the Five Star Window under the link
      "Previous Five Star Sites" as we do not wish to repeat a site unless it has
      undergone a major redesign.

      Be sure to check out our Flash Page where we list all recent additions
      to the Runner's Web. This page is updated before Monday morning each
      week.

      Winded and Wondering Why?
      By Robert Preidt, HealthScoutNews Reporter
      (HealthScoutNews) -- If you find yourself getting winded while playing
      sports, don't automatically blame it on a lack of conditioning. You may be
      one of millions of Americans who suffer from undiagnosed asthma that is
      triggered by exercise.
      The condition, known as exercise-induced bronchospasm (EIB), is a temporary
      narrowing of the airways that occurs during or after physical activity. It
      can include such symptoms as wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, chest
      tightness, fatigue or decreased athletic performance.
      Most of the estimated 18 million Americans who have chronic asthma are at
      risk for EIB if their asthma is not well-controlled, says Dr. Gilbert
      D'Alonzo, director of the Airways Disease Center at Temple University Health
      Sciences Center in Philadelphia.
      More...from Yahoo at:
      http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/hsn/20011202/hl/winded_and_wondering_why__1.htm
      [Multi-line URL]

      Doctor's advice is beware of water overload:
      Area runners are accustomed to pre-loading, or drinking extra liquids before
      a run, to prevent dehydration. It's a necessity training through
      triple-digit summer days here.
      It might sound odd, but Dr. Bob Fowler, the White Rock Marathon medical
      director, is warning participants not to drink too much before Sunday's
      26.2-mile event.
      More...from the Dallas News at:
      http://www.dallasnews.com/sports_day/othersp/STORY.ea9f90a096.b0.af.0.a4.62a
      6.html
      [Multi-line URL]

      Kenyan Uses 26.2 Miles as Skiing Warm-Up:
      In Kenya, the Rono family name has long been associated with distance
      running.
      Richard Rono was carrying out the family tradition when, as a child, he
      began running through the Riff Valley Province imagining himself as the next
      Henry Rono, a distant relative, who set four world records in distance
      running within 90 days in 1978.
      But acclaim eluded Richard Rono as a runner. His times, while impressive,
      were not good enough to win him a coveted spot on Kenya's Olympic team.
      Now, at 39, Rono has achieved a measure of fame by doing what only one other
      Kenyan has ever done: qualify for the Winter Games as a cross-country skier.
      More... from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/05/sports/05RONO.html
      [Free Registration Required]

      Exercise Reverses Years of Aerobic Decline:
      (Ivanhoe Newswire) - An ongoing study has shown a mere 6 months of endurance
      exercise can undo 30 years of declining physical fitness.
      Researchers from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in
      Dallas began a study 30 years ago on men in their 20s. The men were
      originally part of the Dallas Bed Rest and Training Study started in 1966 to
      determine negative effects of bed rest on physical fitness. Thirty years
      later, researchers gathered the same men and put them through a six-month
      endurance exercise program. They measured cardiovascular health in the men
      before they went through the training program and compared it to
      cardiovascular health in the men after the program.
      More...from Ivanhoe at:
      http://www.ivanhoe.com/sportsmedicine/exercisereversesyearsofaerobicdecline.
      shtml

      Eating More Often May Help Lower Cholesterol:
      Amy Norton, Reuters Health
      A person's cholesterol levels may depend not only on what he or she eats,
      but also how often, according to UK researchers.
      They found that middle-aged and older adults who ate frequently throughout
      the day had lower "bad" cholesterol levels compared with those who tended to
      down one or two large meals per day. This was despite the fact that the
      frequent eaters, on average, had a higher calorie and fat intake.
      More...from drkoop.com at:
      http://www.drkoop.com/dyncon/article.asp?at=N&id=13463

      Prescription Orthotics...Are They Worth The Cost?
      My grandmother used to tell me that you get what you pay for; not so with
      prescription orthotics, grandma. The orthotics market is a big, ill-defined
      market with a lot of room for error and excessive cost. For instance, ask
      any health insurance company to define the term prescription foot orthotic
      and here's what they'll say:' prescription orthotics are custom arch
      supports made from a cast impression of your foot. Orthotics are fabricated
      from any number of different materials and vary in size, shape, thickness
      and length depending on the foot problem that is being treated. Prescription
      orthotics are made based upon a doctor's prescription.'
      Now let's go out into the industry and take a look at who's prescribing and
      dispensing orthotics. Here's just a short list of the professionals and
      retailers who recommend and dispense orthotics:
      podiatrists
      orthopedists
      pedorthists
      chiroprators
      nurse practitioners
      physical therapists
      store front orthotic stores
      retail ski shops
      retail shoe stores
      prosthetic labs
      direct TV sales
      direct internet sales
      orthotic labs
      You can see from this list of orthotic providers that the training and
      experience in foot care is diverse. As a result, the definition of a
      prescription orthotic may mean many things throughout the foot care
      profession. Some providers may use the insurance company's definition and
      others may take a stock/prefabricated arch support, add a couple of pads and
      charge for a prescription device.
      So, let's rephrase our question about cost and ask: 'is every prescription
      orthotic from every person that will sell them to you worth the money?' The
      answer is probably not. Like everything else in life, one size and one
      treatment doesn't solve every problem. What worked for your friend may or
      may not work for you. And with costs for prescription orthotics ranging from
      $150.00 to over $600.00, a consumer has to be well informed about their
      choices.
      Do prescription orthotics really work? In many cases they do, particularly
      when the following four key points are met;
      1. The diagnosis of the foot problem is correct.
      2. The type of orthotic is correct for the condition (soft/hard/flexible
      etc.).
      3. The selection of materials used to make the orthotic are appropriate.
      4. Patient education and follow-up are available.
      Simply put, to make a prescription orthotic that works well and is worth the
      expense requires a comprehensive knowledge of foot problems, orthotic
      fabrication and effective patient education. That's not something that
      comes off the shelf or out of a box.
      So how does a consumer with a foot problem begin to navigate this decision
      making process and make smart choices? I've heard many arguments for and
      against the use of prefabricated arch supports, but for most consumers
      prefabs represent a good starting point. Prefabricated supports can offer
      many of the benefits of prescription orthotics at a fraction of the cost.
      There's more styles and brands of prefabs than Baskin-Robbins Ice Cream has
      flavors, so a little research and shopping can help. Drug store variety
      arch supports can be helpful if all you want is cushion but what most folks
      need is support. There's a large market out there of semi-flexible prefabs
      that offer a lot of support. One reliable resource for these products is
      Birkenstock. Birkenstock carries a wide variety of prefabricated semi-rigid
      supports for work and sport.
      Take a look at those four points again. Can a consumer really diagnose a
      foot problem and prescribe a reliable orthotic? Like anything else in life,
      sometimes you just need some help and advice. If you've tried prefabs and
      they didn't work, then that's the time to consider prescription orthotics.
      Be sure to get the advice of one of the professionals we mentioned in our
      list above. Talk to others who have orthotics and develop an understanding
      of their uses and their limitations. Use the internet as a resource to be an
      informed consumer to understand your diagnosis and how orthotics may help.
      Jeffrey A. Oster, DPM, C.Ped.
      http://www.myfootshop.com/associate.asp?AssociateID=234
      Dr. Oster practices podiatric medicine, surgery and pedorthics in Granville,
      Ohio.

      Helmet Laws Head Off Wheel Harm:
      By Jennie Phipps, HealthScoutNews Reporter
      (HealthScoutNews) -- While education and encouragement help, the best way to
      get children to wear bike helmets is to make it the law.
      At least that's the way it appears to researchers at the Centers for Disease
      Control and Prevention (news - web sites) (CDC) who looked at how well
      Florida's 1997 helmet law is working. The law requires all children younger
      than 16 to wear helmets while riding bicycles, but it gives Florida counties
      the ability to opt out. Three counties did.
      CDC researchers looked at 22,000 Florida children in kindergarten through
      grade 5 who rode bikes to school. The researchers actually watched kids as
      they put their bicycles in school bike racks. In counties where the state
      law was in place, 79 percent of riders wore helmets, compared with only 33
      percent of riders in counties that had opted out of the state law.
      More...from Yahoo at:
      http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/hsn/20011206/hl/helmet_laws_head_off_wheel_harm
      _1.html
      [Multi-line URL]

      Silence on outfits suits speedskaters:
      One of the most talked-about things in U.S. speedskating is something no one
      wants to talk about.
      In a sport where Olympic medals sometimes are decided by 100ths of a second,
      the U.S. long- and short-track teams are hoping to gain an edge in
      aerodynamics from a new body suit being developed in secrecy by Nike.
      More...from USA Today at:
      http://www.usatoday.com/olympics/saltlake/speedskating/2001-12-06-suits.htm

      Life in the fast lane:
      The coach to the top US sprinters left his university post this week after a
      series of setbacks on and off the track. Pat Butcher reports
      Financial Times; Dec 1, 2001
      This is one of those times when leading American athletics coach John Smith
      might wish for the anonymity that normally goes with his name.
      Until four months ago, Smith rejoiced in the unofficial title of "Coach to
      the Champions". Still a world record holder himself - for the 440 yards in
      1971 - Smith's charges include Olympic and world champions Maurice Greene,
      Ato Boldon, Inger Miller and Jon Drummond. He has also coached European
      champion Christine Arron.
      Then began a series of setbacks, which have culminated in Smith's
      resignation after 17 years as sprint coach at the University of California
      at Los Angeles (UCLA).
      More...from the Financial Times at:
      http://globalarchive.ft.com/globalarchive/article.html?id=011201000961&query
      =John+Smith#docAnchor011201000961

      Flaunt it:
      IT shapes as the great bottom-cam controversy in women's sport. To zoom in
      or not to zoom in: that is the question.
      Italy's No.1 sports pin-up girl, volleyballer Maurizia Cacciatori, is
      leading a rear-end revolt about cheeky cameramen focusing on her shapely
      form.
      But while some women's groups have been quick to endorse the Italian's
      comments, a host of leading Australian female sports stars yesterday refused
      to get behind her.
      Russian-born pole vaulter Tatiana Grigorieva, Olympic beach volleyball gold
      medallist Kerri Pottharst and leading ironwoman Hayley Bateup were among the
      Australian women who said the issue wasn't all it was cracked up to be.
      Taut and terrific Tatiana said she was of the opinion if you've got it,
      flaunt it.
      More...from Fox Sports Australia at:
      http://www.foxsports.com.au/common/story_page/0,5000,3382783%255E9757%255E%2
      55Enbv,00.html
      [Multi-line URL]

      Pre-Ski Slumber:
      (HealthScoutNews) -- If you're planning to engage in winter sports, take
      your mittens, boots ... and your pillow.
      That's because you really need a good night's sleep before you venture into
      the cold.
      Journal of Applied Physiology reports that sleep deprivation not only leaves
      your mind dull, you're less able to cope with the effects of cold
      temperatures. After being deprived of sleep, study subjects couldn't raise
      their metabolic heat production as much as they needed to in order to
      respond to cold. This increases the risk of hypothermia.
      Recovery began after two nights of normal sleep, but it took months before
      the ability to adjust metabolic rate to cold temperatures got completely
      back to normal.

      From Runner's World:
      "When you practice running with a lighter, quicker turnover, you become
      a faster, more efficient runner. An increased cadence also decreases
      your risk of injury, because your feet spend less time pounding the
      pavement." - Jeff Galloway

      Clearing the Hurdles
      The Hurdle: You tend to run too fast too soon when racing, causing
      lactic-acid buildup.
      The Solution Train with fast interval sessions to increase your
      tolerance to lactic acid. By doing so you will condition your body and
      stomach without generating large amounts of lactic acid. You'll also rid
      yourself of nausea.

      Remember that running is fun. In our concern with losing weight and
      becoming healthier, it's all too easy to allow ourselves to be
      preoccupied with the physical changes running produces and to forget
      that running is a pleasurable activity, its effects aside. "When health
      is the only motivation," a sixty-year-old Florida runner named Al
      Iannone said, "Great self-discipline is needed. If we run for the fun
      that's in it, fitness will take care of itself."

      Proper regimen keeps veteran stars shining:
      By Marcia C. Smith, The Orange County Register
      Wednesday, December 5, 2001
      The middle-aged man -- a very old man in sports years -- is supposed to be
      sitting in the locker room, his best years behind him, his talent spent and
      his body broken from the stress of too many tough seasons.
      Grim faced. Shoulders hunched. Ice bags slung around rusting joints. The
      whiff of Ben-Gay, not aftershave.
      It's kind of sad, this specter of the veteran, over-the-hill, past-his-prime
      athlete, being ushered toward retirement.
      But in a remarkable 2001 sports year, when Baltimore's Cal Ripken Jr. and
      San Diego's Tony Gwynn turned 41 and bid major-league farewells, a slew of
      so-called old guys in the four major professional sports are proving there's
      life -- and more important, greatness -- after 35.
      More...from the Statesman at:
      http://www.austin360.com/statesman/editions/today/sports_6.html

      Last word:
      "Everyone should believe in something, and I believed in surgery,
      chemotherapy and my doctors."
      Cyclist Lance Armstrong's reported reply when asked how his belief in God
      had helped him as a cancer patient

      Blindness not a speed bump:
      Runner embraces life despite being blind for most of it
      The Dallas Morning News
      Harry Cordellos of Novato, Calif., hasn't let personal misfortune dim his
      view of the world.
      Cordellos completely lost his vision at 23, but blindness places no limits
      on his life.
      Water skiing, snow skiing, marathon running, bowling, guitar playing, riding
      amusement park rides and power tool-operating are all part of his
      repertoire. He doesn't just participate in these activities. He competes. He
      performs. He showcases his talents.
      He's an inspiration to those he meets, and he's met many in the Dallas
      running community over the past 26 years.
      Cordellos returns to Dallas this week for Sunday's 32nd Dallas White Rock
      Marathon. It will be his 150th career marathon and his 19th Rock. This
      momentous marathon run coincides with his receiving the Rock's prestigious
      Victory Award for Excellence.
      More...from the Dallas Morning Star at:
      http://www.dallasnews.com/sports_day/othersp/STORY.ea95362cf7.b0.af.0.a4.3cd
      69.html
      [Multi-line URL]

      'Can't swim' Stacy soars to new heights:
      London - No amount of prizes or glitzy galas can distract American
      pole-vaulter Stacy Dragila from her one-woman campaign to gain recognition
      for her event.
      Crowned women's Athlete of the Year by the International Association of
      Athletics Federations (IAAF) at a fancy dinner in Monaco this week, Dragila
      seized the opportunity to lobby the IAAF to designate the women's pole vault
      a Golden League event.
      "I talked to the IAAF president (Lamine) Diack and he's very excited about
      putting the women's pole vault into the Golden League," said Dragila, who
      beat US sprinter and long-jumper Marion Jones to the prize.
      More...from the Independent Online at:
      http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=174&art_id=ct20011130101926230A34326
      40&set_id=6
      [Multi-line URL]

      US Men's Marathon Depth at Low Point:
      Some numbers to point out just how the depth of American men marathon times
      has sunk recently. Listed below are the total number of American sub-2:20
      marathon performances per year for last 30 years (there are a handful of
      2001 marathons to go, but none are expected to have any sub-2:20 Americans).
      * Note that in 1981 New York City was determined to be 148m short and
      Oakland around 381 yards short; figure below includes adjusted raw times
      from those races assuming the full distance would have been covered at even
      pace.

      1972 = 12
      1973 = 12
      1974 = 22
      1975 = 40
      1976 = 35
      1977 = 46
      1978 = 95
      1979 = 165
      1980 = 187
      1981 = 218*
      1982 = 191
      1983 = 267
      1984 = 165
      1985 = 99
      1986 = 115
      1987 = 96
      1988 = 65
      1989 = 63
      1990 = 75
      1991 = 93
      1992 = 64
      1993 = 58
      1994 = 54
      1995 = 59
      1996 = 40
      1997 = 27
      1998 = 36
      1999 = 47
      2000 = 27
      2001 = 20
      From...
      Marty Post
      Senior Editor
      Runner's World Magazine
      www.runnersworld.com

      Are My Knees Getting Old?
      Question:
      I am 52 years old, in excellent health, and have been running for 22 years.
      Although I'm not a competitive runner, I have completed three marathons
      (four-hour, middle of the pack runner). I currently run 25 miles per week at
      an easy pace of 9:45 to 10 minutes a mile. I will be gearing up for another
      marathon later this year and will get my weekly mileage up to around 40 to
      50 miles a week. I usually run six days a week with one long run. I try to
      stick to a hard-easy schedule, either faster or longer on the hard days. I
      keep within ten-percent increases for the long run as well as overall weekly
      mileage. I'm conservative and do things gradually, change my shoes every six
      months, and have recently added biking for "later life" insurance.
      More...from American Running at:
      http://www.americanrunning.org/displayindustryarticle.cfm?articlenbr=1080
      [Multi-line URL]

      Indoor Triathlon - Midwest Indoor Tri Series Hotter Than Ever:
      Susan Terwedow, November 2001
      If you haven't made plans yet, it's time to get started. The 10th Annual
      Midwest Indoor Tri Classic Series is scheduled for four dates and locations
      in late winter of 2002. It has become so popular that part of the race is to
      register before the participant limit is reached.
      Michael Kirschten is Fitness Supervisor and head personal trainer at Edward
      Health & Fitness Center. He is a triathlete and a regular participant in the
      Tri Series.
      "I always try to be a top finisher," said Kirschten, who has been part of
      the Series organization for three years. This year, he is the race director.
      More...from Chicago's Amateur Athlete at:
      http://www.chicagoaa.com/features/indoortrinov01.html

      Is Organic Better?
      (HealthScoutNews) -- There are many comparisons of foods grown organically
      and foods grown using conventional farming methods. Most of the interest in
      the organic varieties stems from a desire to avoid synthetic pesticides and
      fertilizers.
      But organic foods have another plus.
      According to the journal Alternative Therapy Health and Medicine, organic
      foods have a higher nutrient content. They have more ascorbic acid, more
      protein, and less nitrate.
      The reason organic foods have more nutrients: They contain less water. The
      higher water content of conventionally raised crops causes a nutrient
      dilution, which isn't present in organically grown fruits and vegetables.

      Front-runners:
      Since 1954, Sports Illustrated has faced the annual challenge of choosing
      its Sportsman of the Year. The award is bestowed upon the person or persons
      who symbolize in character and performance the ideals of sportsmanship. Here
      are a batch of athletes who have had dominant performances this year. Click
      on any image below to check out their athlete pages, complete with photo
      galleries, feature stories and video clips. And be sure to browse the
      Sportsman archive and covers galleries. This year's Sportsman of the Year
      will be revealed in the Dec. 17 issue of Sports Illustrated and celebrated
      on Sports Illustrated's Night of Champions television special, broadcast
      Dec. 15 at 8 p.m. on NBC. For ticket information, call 213-236-2354.
      More...from CNNSI.com at:
      http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/2001/sportsman/

      New York Marathon Numbers:
      Some numbers from the recent New York Marathon:
      Starters: 24, 057
      Finishers: 23,651
      Finishers in first New York Marathon, 1976: 55
      First runner under 2:10 at New York: Alberto Salazar, 1980, 2:09:40
      First runner under 2:09 at New York: Alberto Salazar, 1981, 2:08:13
      First runner under 2:08 at New York: Tesfaye Jifar, 2001, 2:07:43
      Jifar's prize money for the 2001 New York Marathon: $130,000 ($80,000 first
      place, $50,000 course record bonus)
      Viewers of coverage by NBC local New York affiliate: 750,000 (appx.)
      Race day hits to NYRRC web page: 12.5 million (appx.)
      Oldest finisher: Abe Weintraub, 91, 8:37:57
      Weintraub's half marathon split: 3:40:07
      Oldest women's finisher: Juanita Goldman, 78, 9:59:58.
      Size of men's lead pack at 13.1 miles: 15
      Size of men's lead pack at 20 miles: 3
      Size of women's lead pack at 13.1 miles: 12
      Size of women's lead pack at 20 miles: 1
      Number of finishers over 5 hours: 5,420
      Temperature at start: 54 degrees F

      Snoclothes protest:
      An Austrian snowboarder is set to bare nearly all and race down the pistes
      in just bra and knickers after failing to find a sponsor for her competition
      clothes, she has told a sports website here.
      One-time World Cup race winner Sabrina Blassnig has already hit the ski
      slopes in skimpy underwear to film a promotional video, and is due to wear
      the unusual outfit for her next race in Laax, Switzerland, she told extreme
      sports website expeditionzone.com.
      "Without a clothing sponsor I didn't have any other option," Blassnig said.
      "After all, even without overalls I have something to offer."

      Why back pain is hard to beat:
      Patients may find it difficult to recover from a back injury because they
      start using the wrong muscles to bend and lift, a study suggests.
      This, in time, can cause further injury to the spinal column - and turn a
      short-term muscle injury into a long-term problem.
      Back injury is one of the leading reasons why people need to take time off
      work sick.
      Researchers from the Ohio State University looked at more than 20 patients
      with low back pain.
      More...from the BBC at:
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/newsid_1689000/1689222.stm

      NASA to Study Why Hearts Shrink:
      Houston (AP) - Astronauts who bravely spend long stretches in orbit return
      to Earth with a little less heart.
      So far, this heart shrinkage, or cardiac atrophy, has not caused health
      problems for astronauts, even those who have spent months in orbit aboard
      the Russian outpost Mir or the international space station now flying 250
      miles above Earth.
      But as NASA (news - web sites) eyes an eventual mission to Mars - a trip
      that could take up to 21/2 years - a team of Dallas-based scientists is
      embarking on a long-term NASA-funded study of why hearts shrink in space and
      whether it is something to be concerned about.
      More...from Yahoo at:
      http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20011130/hl/shrinking_hearts_1.html

      Winter Olympics - Salt Lake City 2002:
      If you are interested in the Winter Olympics check out the New York Times
      Olympics section at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/pages/olympics/index.html
      [Free registration is required]

      First Marathons: Personal Encounters with the 26.2-Mile Monster -- October
      2001 chapter:
      by Bill Rodgers...
      I still had mixed feelings about running a marathon, but heck, it had to be
      better than doing nothing and I knew I was just as good a runner as the guys
      I saw. First, I needed to get back in shape, so I joined a YMCA by our
      apartment and started running this slanted, tiny track that was boring as
      hell, but I hadn't run in two years and needed to start somewhere. I went
      back to running because it was all I knew, all I had left. I went back to
      running to bring a sense of order to my life. When I got my endurance back,
      I started hitting some of the local road races and did well at the 5Ks and
      10Ks. In February of 1973 I entered a 30K and ran in blue jeans. I didn't
      have any money to buy the proper shoes or clothing, and besides, it was
      cold. Ironically, Amby also ran that race and ultimately won it. The prize
      was a pair of car tires, which he had no use for so he offered them to me,
      but I didn't even have a car.
      More...from Inside Texas Running at:
      http://www.insidetexasrunning.com/features/marathons_rodgers2001.html

      Marathoner is out of the woods:
      After hitting lows, Bouchard reconnects with running
      Ron Bouchard of Garland always wanted to be a marathoner. Bill Rodgers and
      Alberto Salazar were his childhood heroes.
      "I vividly recall seeing these skinny people in skimpy shorts running and
      running and running," Bouchard recalled. "I felt some kinship with them. I
      didn't want to play second base for the Yankees. I didn't want to play
      quarterback for the Cowboys. I wanted to run the Boston Marathon."
      Bouchard, 35, made it to Boston after detours in prison and on skid row. He
      now hopes his runner's highs can guide him to Birmingham, Ala., for the 2004
      U.S. Olympic men's marathon team trials.
      More...from the Dallas Morning News at:
      http://www.dallasnews.com/sports_day/othersp/STORY.ea9a5c88aa.b0.af.0.a4.49b
      37.html

      Runner's World to launch new Web site design on Monday:
      Next Monday, Dec. 10, the Runner's World family of Web sites will unveil a
      new design. We have been planning this new design for more than six months.
      The goal: to make it easier for you to navigate our sites and find what you
      want.
      The new sites will still have all the features you have been using and
      enjoying for years. The sites are: www.runnersworld.com ;
      www.womens-running.com ; www.highschoolrunner.com ; and www.newrunner.com .
      Our new software allows us to create Web pages much faster than in the past.
      This will allow us to concentrate our energies on planning and developing
      new features for the future.
      "We're excited to be making this big leap forward," says Runner's World
      editor Amby Burfoot. "We feel that we've done a terrific job in the past,
      and our many happy users have certainly told us how much they enjoy the
      Runner's World Web sites. Now we'll be able to continue providing familiar
      services, while also building toward an even more exciting future."
      The Runner's World Web sites are the most popular and content-rich running
      sites on the Web, attracting more than 800,000 unique visitors per month.
      The main site, www.runnersworld.com , has provided a deep and innovative
      Daily News for the last six years. Other popular sections include: Training,
      Shoes, Nutrition, Calendars, Injury Prevention, and a range of Forums.
      The sister sites each focus on their specific areas: Women's Running, High
      School Running, and Beginning Running. Each of these sites now has a design
      similar to the main site. This will give readers a familiar feel as they
      navigate through each site.
      The Runner's World family of Web sites also includes www.kidsrunning.com and
      www.nationalmastersnews.com . These two sites have not been affected by the
      redesign.
      The new design is best viewed with the more recent versions of Internet
      Explorer (4.0 and above), and the most recent version of Netscape Navigator
      (6.2). If you are using Netscape, we highly recommend you get the upgrade to
      6.2.

      Four generations of feet made for half marathon:
      An 87-year-old Rotorua great grandmother may have established a New Zealand
      first by completing a half marathon in the company of three generations of
      her family.
      Edna Ryan, her daughter Jocelyn Coley, grand daughter Sherryn Owen and
      sport-loving great grandson Kurt walked the Kerikeri Half Marathon in around
      3hrs 45 minutes recently. The combined milestone went unnoticed during the
      popular annual event which this year attracted 1700 entrants.
      Though a walk around the block is a feat beyond many of her age Mrs. Ryan
      downplayed her achievement of completing the course in such a respectable
      time.
      "I felt pretty good really and don't see it as any big deal," she said.
      More...from the New Zealand Herald at:
      http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1028746a1909,FF.html

      Coming Up:
      [Check web sites to confirm]

      December 3 - 14, 2001:
      South Pacific Mini Games, Kingston, Norfolk Island
      http://www.southpacificminigames.nlk.nf/

      December 8, 2001:
      Reggae Marathon - Negril, Jamaica
      http://www.reggaemarathon.com/

      Huntsville Times Rocket City Marathon - Huntsville, AB
      http://www.huntsvilletrackclub.org/

      Footlocker National HS XC Finals - Orlando, FL
      http://www.footlockercrosscountry.com/footlockercc/index.html

      December 9, 2001:

      Honolulu Marathon - Hawaii
      http://www.honolulumarathon.org/

      Santa Run - Mid-Wales, UK
      http://www.newtownanddistrictdialaride.org/

      Avon U.S. Running National Championship - Phoenix, AZ
      http://www.coolrunning.com/ar/2001/phoenix/index.shtml

      European XC Championships - Thun, Switzerland
      http://www.cross2001.ch/

      South Pacific Mini-Games Norfolk Island
      http://www.triathlon.org/multi-games/mg-2001/minigames/tri-southpacific2001/
      index.htm
      [Multi-line URL]

      Gatorade Triathlon Series -Brighton Beach, Australia
      http://www.supersprint.com.au/events/gatorade2002/brighton.htm

      Dallas White Rock Marathon - TX
      http://www.whiterock-marathon.com/

      XTERRA Australia Championship - Black Mountain Peninsula, ACT
      http://www.x-tri.com.au/xterra/2001/raceinfo-r4.html

      For a look at additional races check out the Runner's Web Races,
      Marathons and Calendars pages at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html or look at the "Coming Up"
      section on our FrontPage.

      Also check out the following site:
      This Week's Hot Links from Track and Field News at:
      http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/results/hotlinks.html
      There are a number if US indoor track meets on this week with links to
      the web sites available from the above link.

      Television and Online Coverage:
      [Check local listings as event times are subject to change]

      OLN Triathlon Broadcast Schedule:
      [PDF Format]
      http://www.triathlon.org/tv/tv-2001/broadcast-schedule/oln-broadcast%20sched
      ule.pdf
      [2 Line URL]

      The Olympic Show
      The Olympic Show 4:00 p.m. CNBC

      TVGrid.com
      http://www.tvgrid.com/

      CBC Sports Schedule
      http://cbc.ca/sports/tvsports/popupsched.html

      CTV Sportsnet
      http://www.ctvsportsnet.com/index.shtml

      Sundays @ 1P.M. EDT
      Track & Field: The Running Zone
      http://www.canoe.ca/TheRunningZone/home.html

      Yahoo Sports TV Schedule
      http://tv.yahoo.com/yahoo/listings/tv1.dpg?genres=22&daypart=Now&channel=All
      +Channels
      [2 Line URL]

      Runner's World VCR Alerts
      http://www.runnersworld.com/dailynew/home.html#vcr

      USATF summer track broadcasting listing
      http://www.usatf.org/tvlineup.htm

      SportsOxygen.com
      "A Woman's View of the World"
      http://sports.oxygen.com/index.jsp

      Bikes on TV.com
      http://www.bikesontv.com/

      Send this to a Friend:
      Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they
      subscribe at:
      http://www.egroups.com/subscribe.cgi/RunnersWeb

      Your Feedback and Comments:
      Comments, contributions and feedback are always welcome via this list
      at: mailto:runnersweb@onelist.com and in our Runner's Web Forum or
      Guest Book, available off our FrontPage. If you post to the mailing list
      and get your email returned, please contact the Runner's Web at
      mailto:runnersweb@... to notify us of the problem. To update your
      Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the web site at
      http://www.egroups.com/subscribe.cgi/RunnersWeb, sign in and update your
      changes.

      Runner's Web
      runnersweb@... <mailto:runnersweb@...>