Runner's Web Digest - November 2, 2001

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2 12:23 PM
      Runner's Web Digest - November 2, 2001

      Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html
      The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out our daily news
      features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more.

      For new subscribers:
      If you have any questions regarding the options available for receiving
      this digest, please do NOT email the list, rather email me directly at

      This newsletter has been composed using Outlook set to text format. The
      Runner's Web Digest is a weekly digest of information on running,
      triathlons and multisport activities. It is sent via an email list at
      http://www.eGroups.com which allows all users to communicate with
      everyone on the list.

      3. By accessing the eGroups.com web site on demand.

      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for
      viruses. Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor (me) prior
      to being released to the group.

      [Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two
      lines. If you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you paste
      the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or
      another appropriate suffix]

      Most references in the digest which do not have a specific URL listed
      here are available from the Runner's Web FrontPage at:
      Also, if have email software that does not read HTML, all links
      contained in the Digest are available from the Runner's Web Site or from
      All URLs listed here have been verified as of the Digest publication
      date. If you are unable to reach a URL listed here, please email me at
      mailto:runnersweb@... and I will try to track it down.

      New This Week:
      Our November Trivia Quiz is available. Our Pegasus Quiz for November has
      already been answered.
      Louise Ouellette-Bolduc of Dartmouth, Nova Scotia correctly answered that
      there were NO female finishes in the 1970 New York City Marathon.

      "Heroes in our Midst" Contest:
      Win a free copy of "Heroes in our Midst", edited by Robin Mednick and
      Wendy Thomas, a collection of 110 personal stories from Canada's top
      athletes. For more information, go to the Runner's Web FrontPage at:
      Each Monday morning for the next several months we will post a trivia
      question on the Runner's Web FrontPage.
      The first correct answer (based on email date and time stamp) will win a
      copy of the book autographed by Canadian Olympic triathlete, Sharon
      Kevin Jarratt of Osceola, AR correctly identified the photo as that of Jim
      Ryun, former US miler, two-time Olympian and first high-schooler to break 4
      minutes for the mile.

      Check out our FrontPage every Monday for this new quiz.

      This week's new poll is: Cast you vote for the premier marathon in the
      Boston, MA
      Chicago, IL
      London, England
      New York, NY

      Our poll this past week was: ""How much time have you missed from training -
      in your primary sport(s) - due to injury in the past year?"
      The results at publication time were:
      <= 7 days... 24
      > 7 days and <= 14 days 8
      > 14 days and <= 21 days 12
      > 21 days and <= 28 days 5
      > 28 days... 40
      Total Votes: 89

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage as well as voting on and/or
      checking the results of previous polls.

      If you feel you have something to say that is worthy of a Guest Column
      on the Runner's Web, email us at
      or leave your comments in one of our Forums available from our

      Our Photo of the Week, which was being updated several times during the
      week, has been replaced with the Photo Slideshow which will have a
      random number of photos you can cycle through. Check it out from our

      The FiveStar Site of the Week:
      Our FiveStar site of the week for next week is:
      the Beijing 2008 Olympics Site.
      It's time to sign up with Berlitz for Chinese language lessons.
      Visit the site at:
      [IE will prompt you to download the Chinese character font set for best

      Be sure to check out our Flash Page where we list all recent additions
      to the Runner's Web. This page is updated before Monday morning each

      Scientist at Work/David Costill
      A Career Spent in Study of Training and Exercise:
      Muncie, Ind. - Dr. David Costill, a professor of exercise science at Ball
      State University here, has an unexpected conflict. An important donor has
      suddenly shown up and Dr. Costill and his colleagues must spend an hour with
      him. But in the meantime, a reporter has also arrived, to interview Dr.
      So he asks the reporter how she would like to occupy herself for an hour or
      so. Professors at other departments might offer a cup of coffee or a stack
      of journal articles to read. But this is the Human Performance Laboratory,
      and so the suggestions are a bit different. Run? Swim? Lift weights? When
      she says she would like to run, several strapping graduate students quickly
      ask how far and describe the best routes.
      Clearly, this is no ordinary academic department.
      Those who work and study here are not just scientists, but athletes. The
      excessively fit graduate students all seem to be competitive swimmers or
      runners or bicyclists. In their spare time, they do things like rock-
      climbing. The Human Performance Laboratory is a male domain; for some
      reason, Dr. Costill says, women seldom apply.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      [Free sign-up required]

      Air Force Academy reopens events:
      Air Force Academy, Colo. (October 30, 2001 10:35 AM EST) - The Air Force
      Academy is reopening all athletic events to visitors under tighter security
      Fans are asked to arrive early to ensure enough time to clear security.
      Vehicles will be subject to search, and metal detectors will be at the gates
      for all events.
      No coolers, backpacks or large bags are permitted.
      Most athletic events had been closed to visitors since Oct. 11 while
      officials stepped up security following last month's terrorist attacks.

      Threshold Training for Improved Lactate Tolerance:
      By Edmund R. Burke, Ph.D.
      Many coaches and scientists consider one's lactate threshold to be a good
      indicator of an athlete's potential for endurance performance. Lactate
      threshold is defined as the point in which blood lactate begins to
      accumulate above moderate levels in one's blood during exercise of
      increasing intensity. As most of you know, during light to moderate
      activity, lactate stays slightly above resting level. But at some level of
      exercise intensity, blood lactate levels increase rapidly. This breakpoint
      in the curve represents the lactate threshold.
      Even though many athletes use lactate threshold training in their programs,
      it is still a nebulous term. Ask any group of scientists and coaches to
      define the term and you are likely to get ten different answers. "The point
      that we are defining is a small range where an athlete can train and compete
      optimally," says J. T. Kearney, a sports physiologist at the Olympic
      Training Center, "and lactate threshold is a term used to define that
      range." Other terms such as anaerobic threshold or heart rate deflection
      point are often used in the literature to define the point Dr. Kearney is
      referring to.
      More...from TrainRight and Triathlon Gold at:
      [Multi-line URL]

      Foot Soldiers for Health :
      We've opened our wallets and our veins, signed petitions and lighted
      candles, adorned our bodies, vehicles and homes in red, white and blue. Yet
      as we struggle to rise above terrorism's assault on our minds, bodies and
      spirits, we continue to search for ways to strengthen our country and
      To this end, we offer a modest suggestion: Get moving. At a time when
      medical costs and physical suffering related to our sedentary lifestyles
      have soared, our nation would gain a major social and economic boost if more
      Americans followed the U.S. surgeon general's prescription to accumulate 30
      minutes of moderate physical activity on most days of the week.
      More...from the Washington Post at:

      Foods Rich in Protein, Vitamins Fight Stress:
      When confronted with stress, whether physical or emotional, the body reacts
      in an ancient and time-honored way--by pumping out adrenaline, a hormone
      that triggers a cascade of hormonal and nervous responses preparing us for
      "fight or flight."
      Within less than a second of its release, adrenaline increases the heart
      rate, causes blood to be diverted to muscles and thickens the blood in
      anticipation of repairing wounds.
      This physical response can obviously be very useful. But the stress
      currently experienced throughout the country requires no rapid physical
      action. And when stress is chronic, levels of adrenaline remain unnaturally
      high, increasing the body's need for certain nutrients. Simply
      synthesizing--or absorbing--the increased adrenaline requires extra vitamin
      C. Although most animals can increase their own synthesis of this vitamin
      (goats can step up vitamin C production by 500%), humans have lost this
      ability and must rely entirely on dietary sources. Oranges, kiwi fruit,
      berries and papaya, plus peppers and broccoli, all burst with this vitamin.
      You should include them, or similar fruits and vegetables, on your daily
      menu, making a concerted attempt to have at least five servings a day.
      More...from the LA Times at:
      [Multi-line URL]

      Carbohydrate Unloading: A Reality Check:
      A high-carbohydrate diet makes you fat and hurts your athletic performance.
      Sounds hard to believe? It is--yet it's the premise of several
      carbohydrate-bashing diet books currently on the market.
      These books (Enter the Zone, Protein Power, and Healthy for Life) all
      feature diets that supposedly hold the key to lifetime thinness. Their
      shared theme is that Americans should eat a high-protein diet, instead of
      the high-carbohydrate diet recommended by most health professionals. Some
      books even claim that a high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet prevents and
      treats heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and depression, and in the process,
      helps us reach peak physical and mental performance.
      But do these books provide a better way to eat? No. Carbohydrate-bashing
      diet books claim that carbohydrates are bad because they raise blood sugar
      level and cause the release of insulin--a supposedly evil hormone that makes
      you fat. Insulin, it is said, causes high-carbohydrate food to be stored as
      fat rather than used for energy. Such claims are due for a reality check.
      More...from Physician and SportsMedicine at:

      Asian athletics medallist commits suicide:
      Pratima Gaonkar, a medallist at the junior Asian athletic championships,
      committed suicide on Tuesday night.
      Known as 'Goa Express', Gaonkar won a silver medal in the 4x400 metres relay
      at the ninth edition of the championships, at Brunei, which was held from
      July 19 to 22 this year.
      The 19-year old athlete jumped into a well behind her house, in the remote
      village of Kirlpal, in eastern Goa.
      She was the first Goan to represent the country at an Asian athletic event.
      Following her silver medal effort at the championships, the state government
      had honoured her with a prize of Rs 75,000.
      Gaokar was selected to the Indian team after she bagged a silver medal at
      the Federation Cup, in Bangalore.
      More...from Rediff.com at:

      Popular Sports Hurt Many Kids:
      The eight activities that cause the most muscle and bone injuries to
      children -- bicycling and basketball top the list -- stick America with a
      bill of about $33 billion a year, a new study says.
      The sports tracked by the Consumer Product Safety Commission caused about
      2.2 million bone and muscle injuries in 2000 to children ages 5-14, the
      report said.
      Play is good, but children of these ages may not understand how to play
      safely and are not getting enough encouragement to do so, the study said.
      More...from Newsday.com at:
      [Multi-line URL]

      A family who cries 'foul':
      Despite Title IX, some say female high school athletes aren't getting a fair
      By Justin Brown | Special to The Christian Science Monitor
      Florence, KY. - Pat Egan didn't think he'd ever get into a fight like this.
      Not over something like girls' softball. Not against the same high school
      from which he graduated.
      Mr. Egan is in the construction business, a man's world. Mention the phrase
      "political correctness," and his face turns sour.
      More...from the Christian Science Monitor at:

      Genetic engineering the next step for drug cheats:
      FIRST, the good news. This morning, 'Wild Card' is overjoyed to announce the
      end is nigh for performance-enhancing drugs in sport.
      Yes, believe it or not, soon you will be able to peruse the sports pages
      during your coffee break secure in the knowledge that your spirits won't be
      deflated by yet another drugs story.
      Horrid, tiresome words like nandrolone, clenbuterol, anabolic steroids, EPO
      and pseudoephedrine shall be utterly redundant.
      You shall no longer require a degree in pharmacology to properly understand
      the goings-on in international sport.
      Yes, it is true. The day is fast approaching when every elite athlete in the
      world including cyclists, sprinters and even weight-lifters will happily
      provide blood and urine samples for analysis and the results of each test
      will be without blemish.
      More...from the Unison.ie at:

      Low-Impact Exercise May Boost Women's Bone Mass:
      Reuters Health
      Aerobic exercise can increase women's bone density, and it need not be a
      high-impact regimen to work, new research shows.
      In fact, experts' recommendations for general health--walking for about 30
      minutes a day, a few days a week--is enough to lend the bones a hand, George
      A. Kelley, of the Massachusetts General Hospital Institute of Health
      Professions in Boston, told Reuters Health.
      In a review of 24 studies on aerobic exercise and bone mineral density in
      women, Kelley's team found that, on average, regular exercisers saw about a
      2% bone mass gain over non-exercisers.
      More...from drkoop.com at:

      Runner's World Tips:
      The Proper Pace: "Stay well within the comfort zone on easy days. For
      experienced runners, this might mean comfortably paced runs of up to an
      hour. Newer marathoners shouldn't feel guilty about doing as little as a
      half hour." - Joe Henderson

      Cool down, stay healthy: A good cool down of jogging or walking not only
      helps your muscles recover more quickly, but it also speeds your immune
      system's recovery. In a recent study, runners who actively cooled down
      for 15 minutes had better white-blood-cell counts after exhaustive
      exercise than those who went from hard running to a complete stop.

      Orange you glad? Believe it or not, winter is the sweetest time for
      oranges and other citrus fruits. Loaded with vitamin C (more than 100
      percent of the Daily Value in one orange), oranges can help boost your
      immune system by strengthening T-cells, the immune system's warriors
      against intruders. - Liz Applegate, Ph.D.

      "When you love to run and you train hard enough to really feel it,
      running is all about freedom. Also, I find that sharing the value of our
      sport is very important. When I think back on my life, it isn't the
      winning that I remember so much, it's the people who I met through
      running." - Doris Brown Heritage, won four International Cross-Country
      Championships between 1967 and 1971, and was a two-time Olympian

      Training Talk:
      "If you eat the wrong food (or no food at all) after your exercise
      session, you'll drag yourself around for the rest of the day with a
      headache and little energy. Your legs will burn walking up even a small
      flight of stairs. And when it's time to work out the next day, you'll
      find other, more sedentary things to do, such as taking a nap. Eat the
      right foods, however, and you'll feel awake and energetic. You'll burn
      even more calories because your metabolism will continue to run strong.
      And you'll have fresh legs and the motivation you need to exercise the
      next day."

      A Few Words from Elana Meyer:
      "For me, you must live life to the fullest, day after day. You can cross
      the street and something could happen. I'm not going to stop living
      (because of any fear). I'm sure security has been double checked over
      the last week. Everything will be done to make it as safe as possible
      for everyone. This year especially, the race [New York City Marathon]
      will be more than just a race. I'll see it as an inspiration to run for
      the people who have suffered so much more."

      For Triathletes - Learn to master the flip turn to get the most out of your
      swim workouts:
      With the open-water swim season coming to a close, there is no better time
      to perfect a few techniques in the pool that you might have been putting off
      during the enjoyable dog days of summer.
      Lately, a few of you have written to inquire about the flip turn, and how
      best to approach this seemingly simple but technically complex maneuver.
      Seasoned lap swimmers seem to execute the flip turn with extreme ease, while
      novices and many triathletes struggle with the heels-over-head motion
      required to change directions while lap swimming.
      Those even less fortunate end up with a nose and mouth full of water!
      More...from Active.com at:

      Eating for Vitamins: Do You Need Supplements?
      Confusion abounds about vitamin supplements for active people: Should you
      take them? Which ones are best? When should you take them? Will they enhance
      sports performance? Here is information to help clear up any confusion and
      show you how to meet your vitamin needs without wasting money on unnecessary
      More...from Physician and SportsMedicine at:

      Know your heart:
      I was swimming with my masters team the other night and our coach, like so
      many other coaches around the world, had everyone take their heart rate
      after a set. She began to tell the whole group that this was supposed to be
      a moderate swim at about a 135 heart rate. Virtually everyone in the pool
      thought this seemed reasonable. I was going crazy and biting my tongue. I
      wouldn't speak out and diminish my coach's authority in front of the group,
      but I will now vent my pent-up frustration at the lack of heart rate
      There are many myths out there about heart rate that have lingered for way
      too long. You all know the one about 220 minus your age. Ballpark, right?
      More...from SlowTwitch.com at:

      U.S. elites end season south of border:
      By USA Triathlon
      This report filed November 1, 2001
      Eleven U.S. women and 10 U.S. men are scheduled to compete Sunday (Nov. 4)
      in the final International Triathlon Union (ITU) World Cup race of the
      season in Cancun, Mexico.
      Barb Lindquist (Jackson, Wyo.), ranked fourth in the world, will lead the
      U.S. contingent and will also be the top-ranked woman in the competition.
      Lindquist is coming off second-place finishes at the Los Angeles Triathlon,
      the Goodwill Games and the U.S. elite national championships. Forty-eight
      women have registered for the race.
      More...from Inside Triathlon at:

      Motivation of Young Athletes:
      Fitness : Fitness for Youth : Coach Tips
      Coach's Tip: Why do children want to play organized sports? What are their
      goals, hopes and aspirations? Each child has his or her own specific answers
      to these questions. Understanding their reasons for wanting to play sports
      is a critical first step towards helping children to have the best possible
      experiences in sport.
      Articles in magazines and newspapers as well as some coaching textbooks
      often suggest that socialization is a major value of participating in youth
      sports. Certainly, learning to work together in a group and striving to
      achieve group goals are potentially important outcomes. Learning about and
      practicing sportsmanship also is a worthwhile goal as is understanding how
      to deal with success and failure-winning and losing.
      More...from 24HourFitness at:

      Pinkowski Honored at Race Directors' Meeting:
      Carey Pinkowski, Executive Director of the LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon,
      was honored with the Marathon Foto/Road Race Management Race Director of
      the Year Award presented by Running Times. The award is given annually at
      the Keynote Luncheon at the Road Race Management Race Directors' Meeting,
      held this year in Washington, DC Oct. 27.

      Maggie, the iron lady:
      Richard Moore
      Maggie Creber is a 41-year-old mother of two who was 'a partying slob' in
      her twenties and only took up triathlons to relax. Now she's about to take
      on the Hawaiian Ironman, the roughest, toughest one-day endurance race on
      It's the kind of bleak and dismal day that brings with it the feeling that
      you would be quite content to just stay inside forever. It's autumn, it's
      cold and the rain is pounding off the roof of Maggie Creber's isolated
      hillside cottage on the edge of West Lothian. Inside, the scene is of
      chaotic domesticity, the only notable aspect being that this slightly-built
      41-year-old, a mother of two, isn't wearing jeans and a comfortable sweater.
      Instead, she's kitted out in some pretty serious-looking training gear,
      though the prospect of venturing outside is about as inviting as a cold
      shower, and wouldn't actually be all that different.
      More...from Scotland on Sunday at:
      [Multi-line URL]

      Coming Up:
      [Check web sites to confirm]

      November 3, 2001:

      Dallas White Rock Half Marathon - Dallas, TX

      KRRA Anniversary Run - Kingston, ON

      Treasure Island Triathlon - San Francisco, CA

      Food World Senior Bowl Charity Run 10K - Mobile, AL
      USA Men and Women's Championship

      November 4, 2001:

      NYC Marathon - New York, NY
      Runner's World Coverage

      Cancun World Cup Triathlon - Cancun, Mexico
      Triatlon Mexico Site

      Athens Marathon - Greece

      Dinosaur Dash 10K - Tustin, CA

      Boston Freedom Run - MA

      Run for America - Across USA

      Mile High City Marathon - Denver, CO

      For a look at additional races check out the Runner's Web Races,
      Marathons and Calendars pages at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html or look at the "Coming Up"
      section on our FrontPage.

      Also check out the following site:
      This Week's Hot Links from Track and Field News at:
      There are a number if US indoor track meets on this week with links to
      the web sites available from the above link.

      Television and Online Coverage:
      [Check local listings as event times are subject to change]

      November 4, 2001:
      New York Marathon NBC 3 PM EDT
      Outdoor Life Network

      Hawaii Ironman broadcast set for November 18
      October 26 -- Originally scheduled for November 11, the NBC broadcast of the
      2001 Ironman Triathlon World Championship is now scheduled for November 18,
      World Triathlon Corporation officials confirmed on Friday.
      The broadcast is scheduled from 4:30-6 p.m. Eastern on Sunday, November 18.

      OLN Triathlon Broadcast Schedule:
      [PDF Format]
      [2 Line URL]

      The Olympic Show
      The Olympic Show 4:00 p.m. CNBC

      CBC Sports Schedule

      CTV Sportsnet

      Sundays @ 1P.M. EDT
      Track & Field: The Running Zone

      Yahoo Sports TV Schedule
      [2 Line URL]

      Runner's World VCR Alerts

      USATF summer track broadcasting listing

      "A Woman's View of the World"

      Bikes on TV.com

      Send this to a Friend:
      Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they
      subscribe at:

      Your Feedback and Comments:
      Comments, contributions and feedback are always welcome via this list
      at: mailto:runnersweb@onelist.com and in our Runner's Web Forum or
      Guest Book, available off our FrontPage. If you post to the mailing list
      and get your email returned, please contact the Runner's Web at
      mailto:runnersweb@... to notify us of the problem. To update your
      Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the web site at
      http://www.egroups.com/subscribe.cgi/RunnersWeb, sign in and update your

      Runner's Web
      runnersweb@... <mailto:runnersweb@...>