Runner's Web Digest - July 6, 2001

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2001
      Runner's Web Digest - July 6, 2001

      Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html
      The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out our daily news
      features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more.

      For new subscribers:
      If you have any questions regarding the options available for receiving
      this digest, please do NOT email the list, rather email me directly at
      mailto:RunnersWeb@...

      This newsletter has been composed using Outlook set to text format. The
      Runner's Web Digest is a weekly digest of information on running,
      triathlons and multisport activities. It is sent via an email list at
      http://www.eGroups.com which allows all users to communicate with
      everyone on the list.

      3. By accessing the eGroups.com web site on demand.

      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for
      viruses. Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor (me) prior
      to being released to the group.

      NOTE********************************************************************
      [Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two
      lines. If you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you paste
      the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or
      another appropriate suffix]

      here are available from the Runner's Web FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html
      Also, if have email software that does not read HTML, all links
      contained in the Digest are available from the Runner's Web Site or from
      me.
      All URLs listed here have been verified as of the Digest publication
      date. If you are unable to reach a URL listed here, please email me at
      mailto:runnersweb@... and I will try to track it down.

      New This Week:
      Lynne Bermel's column "Ottawa Needs an Indoor Track!" is available from the
      link on our FrontPage.

      This week's new poll is: "Which would be the most difficult event to win?
      Any Olympic medal,
      Hawaii Ironman Triathlon,
      ITU World Championship,
      New York City Marathon,
      Tour de France."

      Our poll this past week was: "Do you support the new 'zero tolerance' for
      false
      starts in track?"
      The results at publication time were:
      Yes 36
      No 47
      No opinion 3
      Total Votes: 86

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage as well as voting on and/or
      checking the results of previous polls.

      If you feel you have something to say that is worthy of a Guest Column
      on the Runner's Web, email us at
      mailto:RunnersWeb@...
      or leave your comments in one of our Forums available from our FrontPage.

      Check out our Photo of the Week from our FrontPage. This photo will be
      updated at least weekly and possibly more frequently. The current photo is:
      Regina Jacobs winning the 1500M at last week's USA T and F Championships.

      The FiveStar Site of the Week:
      Our FiveStar site of the week for next week is: Active.com's Tour de France
      Site.
      Pretty much everything you ever wanted to know about the Tour is available
      here.
      The Tour runs from July 7th to 29th.
      Follow the race here at:
      http://www.active.com/special_events/tdf2001/index.cfm

      Send your suggestions for our Site of the Week to
      mailto:runnersweb@...
      We will consider all sites submitted.

      Be sure to check out our Flash Page where we list all recent additions
      to the Runner's Web. This page is updated before Monday morning each
      week.

      Tour de France, July 7-29, 2001:
      The "most famous cycle race in the world" kicks off July 7th. Check out the
      Runner's Web page of links for TDF coverage from our FrontPage under
      "Ongoing Events" at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html
      Most recent starts of the Tour de France that weren't in France (1980-2000;
      there have been 13 foreign starts in 88 races, with this year's starting in
      France): 1998 Started in Dublin, Ireland 1996 Den Bosch, Holland 1992 San
      Sebastian, Spain 1989 Luxembourg 1987 West Berlin, West Germany 1982 Basel,
      Switzerland 1980 Frankfurt, West Germany Source:
      http://www.cyclingnews.com

      Training aims to prevent injuries:
      Fern Shen, Washington Post, Jul. 2, 2001
      All (knee) news isn't bad news. Preliminary research suggests that it may be
      possible to prevent anterior cruciate ligament injuries by building up the
      muscles supporting the knee and learning to move in ways that don't put the
      ligaments at risk.
      Despite some skepticism, many colleges and high schools are adopting
      training programs designed to change athletes' habits and teach them to use
      different muscles and stances when they run, jump and land.
      One such anti-injury program was developed by Frank R. Noyes, Timothy E.
      Hewett and Thomas Lindenfeld of the Cincinnati Sports- medicine and
      Orthopaedic Center. It's basically a six-week off-season program of
      stretching, jumping and weight training. A study written by Hewett and
      published in 1999 in the American Journal of Sports Medicine found that the
      program significantly reduced knee injuries among female athletes.
      Its general goal is to decrease the stress on athletes' knees. Students are
      encouraged to make soft, silent landings, with toe-to-midfoot rocking. Keep
      the knees flexed, they are told, bend them straightforward, like a hinge,
      don't let them bow in or out. Keep the chest over the knees; don't let it
      tip back.
      More...from AZCentral.com at:
      http://www.azcentral.com/health/0702knee02side.html

      After report of DNA damage, should you stop taking vitamin C?
      Los Angeles Times
      Scientists Caution Research Results Do Not Mean Supplement Harms Health
      By Benedict Carey
      Many of the 40 million to 50 million Americans who take vitamin C tablets
      swallowed hard upon hearing last month's news that chemists had found a link
      between high doses of the supplements and the kind of DNA damage associated
      with cancer.
      But researchers who study the vitamin's effect on health were quick to say
      that the new findings did not imply that vitamin C supplements cause cancer.
      "This was an experiment done in the lab, not in any biological context,''
      said Jeffrey Blumberg, director of antioxidant research at Tufts University
      in Boston. "And the first thing to point out is that there's no good
      evidence that vitamin C supplements are actually causing cancer in anyone.''
      In the new study, which appeared in the June 15 issue of the journal
      Science, chemists at the University of Pennsylvania extended earlier
      research demonstrating that, in certain laboratory conditions, vitamin C can
      cause damage to tissue cells.
      More...from The Mercury News at:
      http://www0.mercurycenter.com/premium/scitech/docs/vitaminc03.htm

      In Advance of Lance:
      No one knows better than Lance Armstrong that there's no yellow jersey in
      the Tour de France without selfless teammates paving the way.
      On the morning of July 14, 1999, Christian Vande Velde rode his bike out of
      the Italian ski resort town of Sestriere and directly to the front of the
      10th stage of the 86th Tour de France. That was his assignment. A
      23-year-old Tour rookie riding for Lance Armstrong's U.S. Postal Service
      team, Vande Velde was expected to exhaust himself riding the first 45
      kilometers (28 miles) of the stage downhill into a brisk, warm breeze,
      forcing a fast pace that would discourage opposing riders from breaking
      loose from the peloton and denting Armstrong's six-minute overall cushion
      before the killing climbs that would follow. Vande Velde delivered, pulling
      on the lead for more than an hour before dropping back into the pack at the
      base of the steep rise into Mont Cenis Pass, the first of three precipitous
      ascents that culminate at the peak of the majestic L'Alpe d'Huez. From the
      start in Sestriere to the final peak is a ride of nearly seven hours and 138
      miles.
      More...from CNNSI at:
      http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/siadventure/3/lance/

      Drafting - The Triathete's Rules of the Road:
      Drafting, what is it and how can you avoid it? Essentially the bicycle
      portion of a triathlon is an individual time trial. The key point being
      individual. It is the objective of the triathlete to overcome one enormous
      force, aerodynamic drag, on their own, without any "boost" from other
      competitors. Therefore, drafting is the act of riding behind another cyclist
      in an area of reduced air pressure created in the wake of that leading
      cyclist. The trailing or drafting cyclist uses less energy to maintain the
      same speed as the cyclist they are trailing. This creates an unfair
      advantage. Drafting another cyclist during a triathlon is outright illegal.
      So, let's focus on how we can avoid drafting and the time penalties and
      disqualifications associated with it.
      More...from Tri Duo Online at:
      http://www.triduo.com/articlesPage/draftingrules/drafting.htm

      Corns and Calluses: Tips To Treat Painful Feet:
      A Monthly Foot Fact from Foot.com
      Teaneck, NJ (July 5, 2001) - Whether you want to keep your feet beautiful
      or just avoid painful problems, watch out for two common foot conditions:
      corns and calluses.
      Corns and calluses form when the body is trying to protect the foot from
      pressure points caused by tight shoes or repeated pounding without
      protective
      padding. Both conditions are caused by an accumulation of dead skin cells
      that form thick, hardened areas on the foot.
      According to Dr. Suzanne Belyea, medical director for Foot.com, corns are
      more likely to form on the toes. They contain a cone-shaped core that can
      press on a nerve below, causing pain. Corns can also become inflamed.
      "Corns usually develop because of pressure caused by poorly fitting
      footwear,
      such as tight-fitting or high-heeled shoes," Dr. Belyea says. "If you have
      hammer toes, claw toes or mallot toes, corns can develop when your malformed

      toe rubs up against the shoe. That can become very painful."
      Wearing tight-fitting stockings and socks, or a foot sliding forward in a
      shoe that fits too loosely can also lead to corns. Soft corns are located
      between the toes where perspiration in the forefoot area softens the
      affected
      area.
      Complications that can arise from corns include bursitis and the development

      of an ulcer, a foot condition that is especially dangerous to diabetics.
      Calluses are caused by excessive pressure on a specific area of the foot and

      are normally found on the ball of the foot, the heel or the inside of the
      big
      toe. Some calluses have a deep-seated core known as a nucleation and can be

      especially painful to pressure. This condition is often referred to as
      Intractable Plantar Keratosis.
      High-heeled shoes, shoes that are too small, obesity, abnormalities in the
      walking motion, flat feet, high arched feet, bony prominences, and the loss
      of the fat pad on the bottom of the foot can all lead to calluses.
      According to Dr. Belyea, a callus is not a concern unless it causes pain, or

      shows signs of becoming an ulcer. Diabetics with calluses are at a much
      greater risk of developing ulcers if they notice pinpoint bleeding
      underneath
      the callus, in the form of small black dots under the skin.
      Following are some tips to prevent and treat both corns and calluses:
      · Wear properly fitted footwear with extra room in the toe box (toe area).

      Avoid shoes that are too tight or too loose.
      · Use an orthotic or shoe insert made with materials that will absorb
      shock
      and transfer pressure away from "hot spots."
      · Avoid tight socks and stockings to provide a healthier environment for
      the foot.
      · Steer clear of corn removing solutions and medicated pads, which can
      increase irritation and discomfort. Diabetics and all other individuals
      with poor circulation should never use any chemical agents to remove corns.
      · Never try to alleviate the pain caused by calluses or corns by cutting
      or
      trimming them with a razor blade or knife. This is dangerous and can worsen

      the condition. Diabetics especially should never try this type of
      treatment.
      · If the problem persists, consult your foot doctor. Surgery to remove
      corns or calluses should be a last resort.

      For more information on corns, calluses and other foot conditions, visit
      www.foot.com. Foot.com is dedicated to educating the public about foot
      health, creating forums for consumers to communicate with foot health
      professionals, and most importantly, eliminating unnecessary foot pain.

      In shape at 60, 70 and beyond:
      Active seniors are redefining what it means to grow old.
      Many seniors in their 60s, 70s - and up - are proving that buff biceps and
      toned thighs aren't just for twentysomethings. And they're finding that the
      benefits go well beyond the cosmetic: Research shows that in addition to
      boosting longevity by staving off heart disease and other age-related ills,
      keeping fit is one of the most important steps older adults can take to
      prevent the loss of independence that often leads to life in a nursing home.
      More...from MSNBC at:
      http://www.msnbc.com/news/573743.asp?0dm=H18PH

      Runner's World Tips:
      Timely Advice: "When you show up late for a race, valuable energy that
      could be channeled into speed is instead squandered on finding a parking
      space, picking up your number, waiting for a portajohn, and worrying if
      you'll have time to warm up. Arrive no less than an hour before start
      time." -Ed Eyestone, men's cross-country coach at Brigham Young
      University

      Put Your Best Foot Forward: Strong feet lead to injury-free legs. You
      can strengthen your feet by picking marbles off the floor with your toes
      and putting them in a can. Or place your feet on the edge of a washcloth
      on the floor and use your toes to pull the washcloth toward you, little
      by little. If you are already feeling aches in your feet, try icing
      (always after the exercises, not before).

      GI Woe: An estimated 30 to 50 percent of all distance runners
      occasionally suffer some type of gastrointestinal (GI) turmoil such as
      nausea, stomach cramping, heartburn, or diarrhea. The most likely cause
      is the mechanical stress of running, which hampers GI function. What can
      you do? Avoid eating 2 hours before your long runs, and ease up on the
      fiber the day before. Also steer clear of caffeine just before a run to
      prevent the need for an emergency pit stop.

      To Run or Not to Run: If you've been overtraining and feel an injury
      coming on pain, it's fine to skip your workout for a day. But if you're
      just uninspired, turn off that inner voice (and the alarm) and get
      moving. Try committing to your run the night before. Don't let your
      morning run become a wait-and-see proposition, says Jim Spivey,
      three-time Olympian and head coach at the University of Chicago. "By the
      time you go to bed, you already should have made the decision to run the
      next day," he says. Try convincing a friend to join you on the run or
      give you a wake up call.

      "When I find that my running routes are becoming boring, I do my best to
      spice them up. You can do this too. Try this: Run your favorite route
      backwards, or grab a partner and investigate new territory. One of my
      favorite workouts is running through the alleys in the small town of
      Emmaus where I work. The 'alley run' takes me past new houses, new
      sights, and plenty of shade. Give your daily run a facelift. You won't
      be sorry." - Beth Moxey Eck, RW senior editor

      "No matter how old I get, the race remains one of life's most rewarding
      experiences. My times become slower and slower, but the experience of
      the race is unchanged: each race a drama, each race a challenge, each
      race stretching me in one way or another, and each race telling me more
      about myself and others."
      -George Sheehan

      "Even though you may not feel any symptoms, the area you hurt will be
      weaker than it was before your injury - and more susceptible to
      re-injury. If you stress your body too much too soon, the same symptoms
      are likely to reappear."
      -From Amby Burfoot, Runner's World Complete Book of Running

      There's the Rub:
      Can a massage cure your ills?
      Say the word "massage" and most people imagine a person lying naked beneath
      a sheet while a spa worker slathers her in oil, New Age Peruvian flutes
      trilling quietly in the background. And though many massages are like that,
      there are innumerable varieties that are completely different: myofascial
      release, reflexology, lymphatic drainage, structural integration, shiatsu,
      Swedish. (New Age music seems to be a constant in almost all forms.) I'd had
      a few massages before, mainly at my gym, but I wanted to know what the more
      esoteric varieties involved and whether they could improve the mild low-back
      pain I'd suffered since college.
      More...from Slate at:
      http://slate.msn.com/Shopping/01-06-26/Shopping.asp

      Rest:
      by Dan Empfield 7.3.01 (www.slowtwitch.com)
      We dance around this issue two or three times a year on Slowtwitch, and I'm
      quite sure than anything I say here now has been said be me or others
      elsewhere on this site.
      I'm writing this for those of you, though, who are compulsive trainers, in
      the (dim) hope that perhaps the extra nag might just push you over the edge,
      and get you to give your bodies an occasional break.
      More...from SlowTwitch.com at:
      http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/coachcorn/rest.html

      Triathletes defy perils of the Hudson:
      Sunday, July 1, 2001
      By Brian Kladko, Staff Writer
      Lately, triathlons have become a fixture on the fitness circuit. Most summer
      weekends, anyone looking for an hour or more of physical punishment can find
      a nearby event that combines swimming, biking, and running in one grueling
      race.
      But the people who entered Saturday's "Swim to Freedom" triathlon in Jersey
      City took that challenge a step further: The first leg of the race, a swim
      of one-third of a mile, took place in the notoriously polluted waters of New
      York Harbor.
      "I have my concerns," said Mary Jane Kelly, a Wyckoff resident, minutes
      before jumping into the cloudy waters off Liberty State Park.
      More...from The Record at:
      http://www.bergen.com/region/triath200107012.htm

      Decathlon Champion Broke Idol's Record:
      Roman Sebrle of the Czech Republic was unaware of the brilliant late- May
      sun setting over the tiny Mösle Stadium, in Götzis, Austria. His mind was
      focused on the 1,500-meter race, the final event of the decathlon. He needed
      to run at least 4 minutes 26.68 seconds to break the world decathlon record
      held by his friend and countryman Tomas Dvorak.
      Despite a personal best of 4:28.79, Sebrle (pronounced Sheb-roo-lay) stormed
      round the track and crossed the line in a startling 4:21.98 seconds and
      collapsed on the field for 20 minutes. He not only shattered the world
      record, but also became the first decathlete to break 9,000 points, with a
      score of 9,026 points.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2001/07/04/sports/04DECA.html

      Exercise helps health, but how much?
      A 300-page summation of decades of research on exercise is bringing
      scientists face-to-face with how little they know.
      Consensus statements published by the American College of Sports Medicine
      establish that people who exercise improve their health. But researchers
      often can't tell how much health-improvement payoff will result from a given
      amount of work, or even if a workout will make a difference at all.
      More...from CNN at:
      http://www.cnn.com/2001/HEALTH/diet.fitness/07/02/exercise.studies.ap/index.
      html
      [2 Line URL]

      Cigarette Makers Use TV Sports to Advertise:
      Alan Mozes, Reuters Health
      New York - Circumventing a US federal ban on TV advertising of both
      cigarettes and smokeless tobacco, major American tobacco companies have
      increasingly turned to corporate sponsorships of motor sports events to keep
      a high public profile and gain new customers, according to a new study.
      "The magnitude of tobacco advertising that the companies are achieving is
      extremely high," said study lead author Dr. Michael Siegel, an associate
      professor at Boston University's School of Public Health in Massachusetts.
      In the study, Siegel tracked the degree of exposure that various sponsors
      receive as a result of promoting their products and logos via motor sports.
      More...from drkoop.com at:
      http://www.drkoop.com/dyncon/article.asp?at=N&id=12919

      Clues to Benefits of Fruit and Vegetables:
      new study has found that vegetarians have high blood levels of salicylic
      acid, the active ingredient in aspirin. Given that aspirin can prevent heart
      attacks, the new findings may help explain other studies that have found
      lower levels of heart disease among people who eat a lot of fruit and
      vegetables.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2001/07/03/health/03VITA-5.html
      [Free Sign-up required]

      A Man on the Run Since 1935:
      Fitness: Dubbed the unofficial mayor of Central Park, Alberto Arroyo, 86,
      can be found at the reservoir every day, rain or shine.
      By John J. Goldman, Times Staff Writer
      New York--Some people retire to gated communities, others to golf courses or
      condos by the sea.
      Not 86-year-old Alberto Arroyo. Rain or shine, he can be found here, at the
      running track and reservoir in Central Park.
      "This reservoir is my home, my church, my studio, whatever you want to call
      it," Arroyo said, declining an umbrella on a day when wisps of fog drifted
      over the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Reservoir. "When there are beautiful
      days . . . everyone flocks here. This to me is a beautiful day."
      In large measure, Arroyo embodies the spirit of the park, designed in 1858
      by Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux as a refuge from the chaos,
      congestion and concrete of Manhattan.
      More...from the LA Times at:
      http://www.latimes.com/health/fitness/fitnews/20010701/t000054243.html

      Exercise Research Creates Doubts:
      By Ira Dreyfuss
      Associated Press Writer
      Washington (AP) - A 300-page summation of decades of research on exercise is
      bringing scientists face-to-face with how little they know.
      Consensus statements published by the American College of Sports Medicine
      establishes that people who exercise improve their health. But researchers
      often can't tell how much health-improvement payoff will result from a given
      amount of work, or even if a workout will make a difference at all.
      "`It is confusing,'' said researcher I-Min Lee of Harvard Medical School,
      lead author of one of the 32 articles in a special supplement to ACSM's
      research journal, Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. "`The
      consensus is trying to cover different conditions and diseases, and all may
      have different associations.''
      The articles are not meant to cast doubt on the value of exercise. The
      supplement supports current federal minimums of at least 30 minutes a day of
      moderate activity on most days of the week.
      Lee's article makes that point as it examines the relationship between
      physical activity and all-cause mortality, the risk of death at any given
      age. Following at least the minimal guidelines, which can help to burn 1,000
      calories a week, reduces all-cause mortality by 20 to 30 percent, the
      article said.
      Will a person reduce the risk more by doing more exercise? It sure looks
      that way, although at the upper end of exercise, a person gets ever-smaller
      reductions in risk from the incremental added effort, Lee's article said.
      More...from the Detroit News at:
      http://wire.ap.org/APnews/center_story.html?FRONTID=SCIENCE&STORYID=APIS7CVK
      I7O2
      [2 Line URL]

      We just can't let athletes develop at their own pace:
      In a few weeks -- maybe it's already happened -- Alan Webb will virtually
      disappear from the American sporting scene.
      Best thing that can happen to him.
      Unless he has a change of heart, Webb -- who, after breaking Jim Ryun's
      36-year-old high school mile record at the Prefontaine Classic in May,
      became the darling of the track and field world, as well as the brightest
      bulb in America's middle-distance chandelier -- will be off to the
      University of Michigan, where he will be able to develop, as an athlete and
      a young man, without the constant prying eye of people like me.
      Webb's upcoming matriculation is newsworthy because pro sports' annual
      kiddie auction carnival -- otherwise known as the NBA draft -- will occur
      Wednesday night in New York City. Forty-seven players who have not reached
      their senior year of college, including 12 who have not reached their
      sophomore year and six who have not reached their freshman year, will be
      vying to become the next Kobe Bryant. Most of them, of course, will become
      the next Korleone Young, but Hope resides eternally in the callow male
      breast, right next to Unreasonable Expectation
      More...from CNNSI at:
      http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/jack_mccallum/news/2001/06/25/h
      ot_button/
      [2 Line URL]

      In Today's Olympics, Computers Must Be Faster and Stronger, Too:
      Salt Lake City - For 17 days in February 2002, an intricate empire of
      technology three years in the making will spring to life around Salt Lake
      City - a network of 32,000 miles of fiber optic cables, 10,000 mobile phones
      and more than 5,000 computers.
      Olympic computers will track and certify access for the 70,000 people from
      around the world who will take part in the Winter Games, in conjunction with
      the Immigration and Naturalization Services and the State Department.
      Results are supposed to be available for television commentators fractions
      of a second after an event is completed, transferred from 10 athletic sites
      in a 50-mile radius to two central computer centers. The results will be
      compiled, analyzed and sent out again to 9,000 journalists and 15 million
      Web site visitors in real time. The Olympics will even have its own
      dedicated part of the radio spectrum, courtesy of the Federal Communications
      Commission.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2001/07/02/sports/02TECH.html
      [Free Sign-up Required]

      No Live TV for Worlds:
      [From triathlon Digest, July 5, 2001]
      From the trade newsletter TV Sports Markets, dated June 29:
      "The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation said that it will not provide a
      live signal from next month's [July] Triathlon World Championships in
      Edmonton unless the organisers or the International Triathlon Union pay
      the costs.
      "The ITU's television and marketing partner, SSM Sportsworld, said that it
      was unaware that the CBC had refused to pay. Agency director Shaun Watling
      said that he would look at putting up the money for a live feed.
      "Both pan-European sports channel Eurosport and Japanese network NHK had
      expressed interest in showing the event live. The event would fall in
      Sunday evening primetime in Europe and in the early hours of the morning
      in Japan.
      "The local organising committee wanted live coverage to broadcast the
      action on Jumbotron screens at the race site, but was unable to raise
      enough money though the sale of domestic rights. Sportsworld holds the
      international and marketing rights to the event.
      "The ITU had hoped that live coverage would build on the success of the
      inaugural Olympic triathlon at last year's Sydney Games.
      "The CBC, as domestic rights holder, will pay for and produce a one-hour
      edited highlights programme 24 hours after the race for Sportsworld. The
      CBC itself will show the programme in its Saturday afternoon sports slot
      the following week."

      Sign up for the daily Triathlon Digest at:
      http://www.velogear.com/triatdigsub.html

      More info on Triathlon Digest:
      "Triathlon Digest subscription -- visit the secure order form to sign up for
      daily deliver of the next 12 months of Triathlon Digest.
      The cost of a year's subscription: $34.95 -- or, for Patrons
      of Triathlon Digest, $59.95.
      We run our annual sub drive over these few weeks. Anyone who signs up as
      a Tri Digest Patron ($59.95) gets two things in addition to the daily
      Digest: You get acknowledged as a true supporter of Tri Digest, in the
      next day's Digest (when we formally list our Patrons). And, you also get
      a free copy of Triathlon 2001, the 488-page reference book for the sport
      (and ordinarily with a $30 price). We even pay the shipping -- wherever
      you are in the world.
      There is another way you can get your name listed in Tri Digest as a
      supporter of this newsletter -- you pay for someone else's subscription,
      in addition to your own. You can pay for the subscription of someone you
      know, or you can pay for the sub of someone you don't know ... maybe
      there is a triathlete or volunteer in a developing country who could
      benefit from reading the Digest daily. You tell who you want the second
      Digest sub to go to, and we will make that happen.
      Here is where to find the order form:
      *****
      http://www.velogear.com/triatdigsub.html
      *****
      For those who wish to sign up for the Digest and pay by check or postal
      money order: Please send payment directly, either $34.95 (subscription
      only) or $59.95 (Patron subscription with free book) to Triathlon
      Digest, PO Box 323, Winter Harbor, ME 04693, United States. Checks made
      payable to Triathlon Digest and drawn on US banks only, please."

      Coming Up:

      July 6, 2001:
      Meeting Gaz de France
      Paris, France
      July 7, 2001:

      Toronto ITU Triathlon
      http://www.torontotriathlon.com/
      Toronto, ON
      ITU Site
      http://www.triathlon.org/world-cup/wcup2001/toronto2001/index.htm

      Corel-OAC Triathlon
      http://www.ottawaathleticclub.com/races.htm
      Gatineau Park, PQ
      Results will be on Sportstats;
      http://www.sportstats.ca

      Spirit of Gettysburg 5K
      http://www.ywcagettysburg.org/
      Gettysburg, PA

      July 7-29, 2001:
      Tour de France
      http://www.letour.fr/
      More TDF Links
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/rw_tdf2001.html

      July 8, 2001:
      Stampede Road Race - Marathon & 10K
      http://www.stampederoadrace.com
      Calgary, AB

      Half-Vineman Triathlon
      http://www.vineman.com/
      Santa Rosa, CA

      Ironman Europe
      http://www.ironman.de
      Roth, Germany

      Chronicle Marathon
      http://www.chroniclemarathon.com/
      San Francisco, CA

      Peterborough Triathlon
      http://www.trisportcanada.com/races/peter.html
      Peterborough, ON
      Ontario Provincial Long Course Championships

      Utica Boilermaker 15K
      http://www.boilermaker.com/
      Utica, NY

      For a look at additional races check out the Runner's Web Races,
      Marathons and Calendars pages at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html or look at the "Coming Up"
      section on our FrontPage.

      Also check out the following site:
      This Week's Hot Links from Track and Field News at:
      http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/results/hotlinks.html
      There are a number if US indoor track meets on this week with links to
      the web sites available from the above link.

      Television and Online Coverage:
      [Check local listings as event times are subject to change]

      ITU World Cup Triathlon, Toronto, ON TV Coverage on CBC:
      Saturday, July 14, 1:30pm to 3:30pm (ET)
      Monday, July 16, 1:30am to 3:30am (ET)

      Isuzu Ironman California to air on ESPN2 on July 15
      Camp Pendleton, CA-The Isuzu Ironman California triathlon will air on
      Sunday, July 15 at 4 p.m. The race, which took place on Marine Corps Base
      Camp Pendleton and in the neighboring city of Oceanside, featured the 1-2
      finish of brothers Tim and Tony DeBoom as well as a dominating performance
      by Ironman World Champion Natascha Badmann of Switzerland.
      All times and dates of ESPN and ESPN2 broadcasts are tentative, please check
      or local listings.

      2001 Isuzu Ironman USA Lake Placid triathlon
      to air on ESPN2 on Oct. 14
      Lake Placid-The 2001 Isuzu Ironman USA Lake Placid triathlon will air on
      ESPN2 on Oct. 14 from 3-4 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. All ESPN broadcast
      times and dates are tentative, so please check your local listings.

      Outdoor Life Network
      http://www.olntv.com

      The Olympic Show
      The Olympic Show 4:00 p.m. CNBC

      TVGrid.com
      http://www.tvgrid.com/

      CBC Sports Schedule
      http://cbc.ca/sports/tvsports/popupsched.html

      CTV Sportsnet
      http://www.ctvsportsnet.com/index.shtml

      Sundays @ 1P.M. EDT
      Track & Field: The Running Zone
      http://www.canoe.ca/TheRunningZone/home.html

      Yahoo Sports TV Schedule
      http://tv.yahoo.com/yahoo/listings/tv1.dpg?genres=22&daypart=Now&channel=All
      +Channels
      [2 Line URL]

      Runner's World VCR Alerts
      http://www.runnersworld.com/dailynew/home.html#vcr

      USATF summer track broadcasting listing
      http://www.usatf.org/tvlineup.htm

      SportsOxygen.com
      "A Woman's View of the World"
      http://sports.oxygen.com/index.jsp

      Bikes on TV.com
      http://www.bikesontv.com/

      Send this to a Friend:
      Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they
      subscribe
      at: http://www.egroups.com/subscribe.cgi/RunnersWeb

      Your Feedback and Comments:
      Comments, contributions and feedback are always welcome via this list
      at: mailto:runnersweb@onelist.com and in our Runner's Web Forum or
      Guest Book, available off our FrontPage. If you post to the mailing list and
      mailto:runnersweb@... to notify us of the problem. To update your
      Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the web site at
      http://www.egroups.com/subscribe.cgi/RunnersWeb, sign in and update your
      changes.

      Have a good week.

      Ken Parker