Runner's Web Digest - June 1, 2001

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2001
      Runner's Web Digest - June 1, 2001

      Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html
      The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out our daily news
      features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more.

      For new subscribers:
      If you have any questions regarding the options available for receiving
      this digest, please do NOT email the list, rather email me directly at

      This newsletter has been composed using Outlook set to text format. The
      Runner's Web Digest is a weekly digest of information on running,
      triathlons and multisport activities. It is sent via an email list at
      http://www.eGroups.com which allows all users to communicate with
      everyone on the list.

      3. By accessing the eGroups.com web site on demand.

      The mail list has been set to not allow attachments out of concerns for
      viruses. Also, all messages must be approved by the monitor (me) prior
      to being released to the group.

      [Some e-mail clients may split the URL address into two
      lines. If you have trouble connecting to a link, be sure that you paste
      the entire address into your browser, so that it ends in ".html" or another
      appropriate suffix]

      Most references in the digest which do not have a specific URL listed
      here are available from the Runner's Web FrontPage at:
      Also, if have email software that does not read HTML, all links
      contained in the Digest are available from the Runner's Web Site or from me.
      All URLs listed here have been verified as of the Digest publication
      date. If you are unable to reach a URL listed here, please email me at
      mailto:runnersweb@... and I will try to track it down.

      New This Week:
      Our June Runner's Web Running Trivia Quiz is available from our FrontPage
      Also available is the June Pegasus Monthly Quiz. Win free training log
      software by being the first to correctly answer this trivia question.

      The June Runner's Web Question is:
      What political party does former Olympic gold medallist Seb Coe represent?
      a. Liberal Democrat
      b. Conservative
      c. Labour
      The winner gets the glory and fame of having their name listed on the
      Runner's Web FrontPage and in our next Digest!

      This week's new poll is: "In which of the following new events for women has
      their performance been most impressive?
      Hammer, Pole Vault, Steeplechase, Triple Jump, Weight (20 lb.) "

      Our poll this past week was: "Should there be an age restriction for
      Ironmans, etc. ?"
      The results at publication time were:
      Yes, 14 2
      Yes, 16 30
      Yes, 18 56
      Yes, 21 25
      No 42
      Total Votes: 155

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage as well as voting on and/or
      checking the results of previous polls.

      If you feel you have something to say that is worthy of a Guest Column
      on the Runner's Web, email us at
      or leave your comments in one of our Forums available from our FrontPage.

      Check out our Photo of the Week from our FrontPage. This photo will be
      updated at least weekly and possibly more frequently. The current photo is:

      The FiveStar Site of the Week:
      Our FiveStar site of the week for next week is: 220 Triathlon.
      This British triathlon site has recently been redesigned.
      Check it out at:

      Send your suggestions for our Site of the Week to

      Be sure to check out our Flash Page where we list all recent additions
      to the Runner's Web. This page is updated before Monday morning each week.

      Vote for the Olympic Site for 2008:
      Time Magazine Europe is hosting an online poll with the following question:
      Which city should host the 2008 Olympic games?

      Vote Now - http://www.time.com/time/europe
      and then visit the Toronto bid site at:
      Toronto 2008 - Expect the world.

      U.S. fans quickly warming up to newest distance phenomenon
      By Bert Rosenthal, The Associated Press
      Alan Webb could be the track star America has been seeking, the miler who
      ignites enthusiasm in the sport again in this country.
      Not since the mid-1960s when Jim Ryun was the king of the milers have track
      fans become so enamored with such a distance runner.
      More...from the Register Guard at:

      Don't Worry, Be Sad:
      Sadness isn't always bad. In fact, it serves as a vital emotion that can
      inform and enrich every aspect of our lives.
      Sometimes in our pursuit of happiness, we forget that melancholy forms a
      valid and important part of our emotional spectrum. In fact, it's a
      necessary part of growth and of life. How could one be considered "alive" --
      much less sensitive, honest, and intelligent -- without responding to the
      often cruel and confusing world we live in with some sorrow.
      So rather than try to pretend that sad feelings don't exist, learn to
      recognize, honor, and even celebrate your blue emotions.
      More...from Yahoo at:

      Hey, Skinny! Charles Atlas Lives!
      Harrington Park, N.J., May 30 - The letters still pour in every week, as
      heartfelt as they were 70 years ago.
      "Dear Mr. Atlas," reads one from Sydney, Australia. "I know you probably
      hear this every day, but I need your help. I am a 16-year-old small weak
      geek. I am the little kid who everyone laughs at and makes fun of."
      Charles Atlas, who transformed himself from a weakling into a muscular
      millionaire by dreaming up a mail-order fitness course and advertising it in
      comic books, has been dead for 28 years. But the letters addressed to him do
      not go unanswered. Charles Atlas Ltd., the company he founded in 1929, is
      alive and well and - if not quite as robust as it once was - still helping
      to turn the scrawny into the brawny.
      More...from the NY Times at:

      Zone Warrior:
      In the flow, in a groove, on a roll, in the zone - whatever you call it,
      it's all defining one thing. It's that special feeling of racing like you
      can do no wrong and everything goes your way. You are so involved in what
      you are doing that nothing else seems to matter because you are so connected
      to your task.
      Unfortunately, these peak performances don't seem to happen often enough. In
      fact, every time it does happen, it is usually by chance, it just happened
      to be a day when everything fell into place, clicked for you, and you got a
      taste of what it's like to be in the zone. Hopefully this occurrence will
      motivate you to do everything you can to have more peak performances.
      More...from Kjerag.com at:
      [2 Line URL]

      Bolder piques interest of Culpepper, Goucher:
      Adam Goucher was a fan, not a runner, at Monday's Bolder Boulder 10k. Those
      positions could be reversed next year if everything falls into place.
      Goucher, an 11-time All American at the University of Colorado and a
      multi-U.S. cross country and track national champion, said after the race he
      is seriously considering running on the American squad in the 2002 Bolder
      Boulder International Team Challenge.
      "That is something (Olympian) Al (Culpepper) and I have talked about,"
      Goucher said. "Hopefully we could do it next year. We would have to get a
      third guy who is really good."
      More...from the DailyCamera.com at:

      For video clips of the Bolder Boulder race go here:

      Moderate Exercise Can Avert Middle-Age Weight Gain:
      By Patricia Reaney
      Vienna (Reuters) - Battling middle-aged spread need not require hours on the
      treadmill or pumping iron, French experts said on Thursday.
      A study of 8,800 middle-aged men presented at the 11th European Congress on
      Obesity showed walking or cycling to work can help people prevent weight
      gain, shed excess weight and keep fit.
      ``Our study confirmed that moderate physical activity, for example jogging,
      during free time is connected to lesser weight, a smaller waist size and a
      slower weight gain,'' said Dr. Aline Wagner of the Laboratory of
      Epidemiology and Public Health in Strasbourg.
      More...from Yahoo at:

      Sports Injuries Uncovered:
      I would like to be able to promise that you can "run injury-free for ever"
      if you follow the advice on these pages! However, I'm sure you are aware
      that, whilst this sounds good, it is not entirely realistic. I can assure
      you though, that our team will give you the best advice to help minimise the
      occurrence of injury and to correctly manage an injury if one does occur.
      To introduce you to these pages I would like to first discuss the general
      classification of running injuries. An injury can occur either as a result
      of an acute "traumatic" episode, for example falling down a pothole in the
      pavement whilst out training, or more commonly, as an "overuse" injury. An
      overuse injury occurs as a result of repetitive episodes of overload on a
      tissue, each episode causing trauma on a microscopic scale, and accumulating
      with each run to cause injury, eg. Achilles tendinitis.
      An overuse injury can be further classified as "intrinsic" or "extrinsic".
      Intrinsic factors relate to the individual's physical characteristics. An
      extrinsic injury is caused by an external force. In reality running injuries
      are often a mixture of the two.
      More...from RealRunner.com at:

      Lazy Lifestyle Can Fry Couch Potatoes:
      Health Group Warns of the Rising Toll of 'Sedentary Death Syndrome'
      May 29, 2001 (Washington) -- Warning: Doing nothing could be hazardous to
      your health.
      In fact, according to a group of health experts, if all you do is sit around
      without getting much physical activity, your lifestyle could actually kill
      you, by creating a condition they're calling sedentary death syndrome, or
      "Physical inactivity, which can start during childhood, can lead to a wide
      range of diseases that, coupled with a poor diet, kill a quarter-million
      people every year, " says Frank Booth, PhD, a physiology professor at the
      University of Missouri in Columbia and founder of the group Researchers
      Against SeDS. It's estimated that conditions like obesity, type 2 diabetes,
      and heart disease are all on the increase because of SeDS.
      At a news conference in front of the U.S. Capitol Monday, Booth and
      colleagues from around the country made a plea to lawmakers to increase
      spending on programs that will get more Americans to their feet. To make
      their point, the exercise advocates assembled a pile of "couch potatoes" to
      symbolize the toll of inactivity.
      More...from WebMD at:

      Canadian sprinter Donovan Bailey to retire following 2001 outdoor season:
      Toronto (CP) - Canadian sprinter Donovan Bailey, a former world-record
      holder and Olympic champion in the 100 metres, announced Friday he will
      retire following the 2001 outdoor season. Bailey, who suffered a
      career-threatening Achilles tendon injury in 1998, plans to run his last
      race in Edmonton, either at the Canadian track and field championships June
      22-24 or the world track and field competition, slated for Aug. 3-12. Both
      events will be held in the Alberta capital.
      "This sport has given me some great moments and some great life
      experiences," the Oakville, Ont., resident said in a statement. "Overcoming
      what was deemed impossible is what I will take with me and cherish the
      More...from the Canada.com at:

      Dirty Grand Boucle:
      [From MountainBike.com]
      Word is that the Tour VTT is making a comeback. The multi-day MTB race that
      used to pit top XC pros against the beautiful backdrop of France may be
      revived by ASO, the organizers of the Tour de France. They tell MB Daily
      that they're only in the investigative stages right now and to "be patient."

      If you LIVE like a Kenyan, TRAIN like a Kenyan, EAT like a Kenyan, SLEEP
      like a Kenyan, and REST like a KENYAN will you RUN like a Kenyan? Running
      fitness' Andy Barber spent a week with some of their finest athletes to find
      Easy. That was what life with some of the world's greatest athletes was
      like. Yep, easy. There were hours spent in front of the TV, a flask of tea
      in the lounge meant you didn't even have to walk to the kitchen for a drink,
      naps were taken left right and centre, each night was an early night, and
      even walking to the Tesco store half a mile away was done at low speed. All
      in all an unbelievably easy life. Hardly what you'd expect when living at
      the house where many of the world's top athletes base themselves for
      European racing.
      More...from onRunning.com at:
      [long URL]

      Secrets of Keeping Aging's Effects at Bay:
      For my 40th birthday, my friend Jo-Ann gave me a T-shirt that proclaimed
      "Still perfect . . . after all these years!" For my 50th birthday, my friend
      Jane insisted that I wear a button announcing "50 . . . The Legend Lives
      On." And last week in honor of my 60th, Jane wrote a song in which she
      called me "a high-octane goddess."
      Well, a goddess I'm not, but after a vigorous celebratory weekend of hiking
      and rock-climbing I would not dispute the high-octane attribute. I must be
      doing something right. For those who wish to preserve youthful energy and
      enthusiasm, I'll share the steps that got me through the sixth decade more
      or less intact and that I hope will carry me through the next three.
      More...from the NY Times at:

      Supplements, Not Sustenance:
      Herbals and Vitamins Can Enhance-but Should Never Replace-a Senior's
      Balanced Diet
      Once there was just Geritol, the elixir that was marketed for the health and
      well-being of the geriatric crowd. Today, dietary supplements aimed at
      seniors number in the thousands, and dangle the possibility of not only more
      energy and better health, but a robust libido, a stronger heart, healthier
      joints and much more. The products often tout "breakthrough" formulas in
      bold, large type but note in the fine print that these claims have not been
      evaluated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
      More...from the Washington Post at:

      Runners" The Key To Being Prepared:
      Is your big marathon coming up, just weeks away? Experts say this is the
      time - about three weeks out - for runners to fine-tune their training,
      adjust their diet and decide on equipment.
      More...from Active.com at:

      Is swimming OK for someone with osteoarthritis?
      Q: I am a 30-year-old male and I suffer from osteoarthritis of the knees. I
      plan to start swimming. Do you think this can cause further damage to my
      A: No, swimming shouldn't cause further damage. The benefit of water
      exercise is that it is non-impact, so it doesn't aggravate the joints.
      Another benefit is that swimming provides resistance, which helps develop
      muscular fitness.
      From drkoop.com at:

      Runner's World Tips:
      Coach's Corner
      Just Say Yes: Don't forget to warm up before a race. Some runners think
      they can save energy by not warming up. But a good warm-up fills your
      muscles with oxygen-rich blood and increases flexibility. Heart rate and
      respiration also rise, which means you'll run more efficiently during
      the first few minutes of the race. -Ed Eyestone, men's cross-country
      coach at Brigham Young University

      Injury Prevention:
      Shin Cushion: Do you have pain in the front and outer area of the shins?
      This source of pain is usually from a strain of the anterior tibial
      muscle which is responsible for lifting the foot upwards. This type of
      pain is often seen in runners who start hill training, stair workouts,
      or increase the elevation on their treadmills. To alleviate the pain,
      stretch out the anterior shin muscles by grabbing your foot and pulling
      it back toward your buttock. Also, ice massage several times a day for
      no more than 15 minutes and be sure to add those hill workouts to your
      training gradually. - Rick Braver, D.P.M. is a runner and sports
      podiatrist with offices in Englewood, Fair Lawn, and Wayne N.J. Visit
      him on the Web at <http://www.drrun.com>.

      Pronation: Pronation begins immediately after the heel contacts the
      ground. It is a normal and necessary motion for walking or running.
      Pronation is the distinctive, inward roll of the foot as the arch

      Words That Inspire
      "Hunker down, keep your eyes fixed ahead, and run like hell." -Paul
      advice to Sister Marion Irvine before a race. Spangler set 85 national
      group records prior to his death at 95.

      Training Talk
      "As you exercise, your muscles use up stored carbohydrates and become
      thirsty for a replenishing supply of sugar from the blood. It is the role of
      your liver to supply this sugar, but it too is running out of carbohydrates.
      This drying up of body carbohydrates, particularly when blood sugar levels
      drop, brings on the 'bonk,' a feeling of lightheadedness and weakness.
      Drinking a sports drink or eating a carbohydrate food will give your muscles
      and brain this crucial supply of carbs to delay inevitable fatigue."
      -From Liz Applegate's "Power Foods"

      A Few Words From Kevin Sullivan
      "I've just always relished being a competitor. I never lost that desire to
      just get in and compete with people. I think I'm a much better racer than I
      am a workout person. It makes it easier when I line up, and I've got 15
      other guys to compete against."

      Routine maintenance is the key to optimal bike performance:
      By Edmund R. Burke, Ph.D. ,Active.com
      Whether you ride once a month or every day, regular bicycle maintenance will
      pay off in easier pedaling, crisper shifts, increased efficiency, and more
      cycling enjoyment. You'll go further, faster, and have more fun doing it.
      Routine bicycle maintenance is easy, fast, and can actually be fun. There
      are many products on the market today for cleaning and lubing your bike. In
      this series of articles I will begin with a discussion of the various lubes
      available for various riding conditions and how to maintain your drive train
      to optimize the life of your bike.
      More...from Active.com at:

      Effects of Exercise on Menopause:
      Only about 38 percent of women over age 19 exercise regularly. But fitness
      and exercise are critical in the menopausal years, when a woman is at a
      dramatically increased risk for osteoporosis and fracture, heart disease,
      and chronic diseases such as diabetes.
      From age 35, women lose bone mass at a rate of about 0.75 percent to 1
      percent per year, and the loss increases to 2 percent to 3 percent per year
      at menopause, most markedly from the lumbar spine. One study of menopausal
      women showed an increase in lumbar spine bone mineral density (BMD) of 3.5
      percent in women who exercised, whereas BMD in the controls decreased 2.7
      percent. This suggests that exercise can inhibit or reverse osteoporosis
      associated with aging. Even in the elderly woman, exercise can attenuate
      certain effects of aging and sedentary lifestyles.
      More...from 24hourfitness.com at:

      Has Freeman Run Her Last Race?
      Mail & Guardian (Johannesburg), June 1, 2001
      Martin Gillingham
      When Cathy Freeman arrived in Monte Carlo last week to collect the most
      prestigious sporting award of the year she was ... how can we put this
      delicately? ... OK, why bother. Last year's world sportswoman of the year
      has gone to fat.
      Fat, that is, in the eye of your average world-class sprinter who probably
      spends just as much time stepping on and off her bathroom scale as she does
      jumping in and out of her starting blocks. But even in a sport where the
      demands of improving an athlete's power-to-weight ratio have prompted
      serious debate over just how many anorexics are being created by coaches'
      unforgiving training and dietary programmes, there has been considerable
      concern for Freeman's curvaceous new look.
      In truth, the Olympic 400m champion now looks more like your average young
      suburban housewife. To be precise, she looks more like your average suburban
      housewife who's already into the third or fourth month of pregnancy.
      More...from AllAfrica.com at:

      A run through racing etiquette:
      Monday, May 28, 2001, By Kamal Jabbour
      A recent incident at a local road race, in which a runner was less than
      cordial to a water-station volunteer, provided the impetus to writing about
      race etiquette. Although most runners and racers are perfect ladies and
      gentlemen, a little reminder at the start of the summer racing season does
      not hurt.
      Before you enter a race, make sure that you are properly trained for the
      distance. While most people can run a 5K (3.1 miles) without training, it
      takes a lot more preparation to safely complete a 10-miler in the heat.
      More...from Syracuse.com at:

      For a bigger challenge, area woman takes up the triathlon:
      By Bob Luder - The Kansas City Star, Date: 05/28/01 22:15
      Shari Woiwood of Lee's Summit had been a top-flight distance runner and road
      racer in the Kansas City area for the last 15 years. She'd won countless
      races, set dozens of personal-best times and generally had a ball.
      In the end, that wasn't enough.
      "I got tired of running all those road races," said Woiwood, 39 and a wife
      and mother of two. "I've run Hospital Hill every year since 1983, and I'll
      still do it. But I got bored with road racing.
      "Plus, at almost 40, I wasn't going to see any improvement in my running
      times. I'd pretty much topped out at it."
      So, Woiwood made a decision some might consider insane. Already a veteran at
      one of the more grueling sports, she decided to take her endurance endeavors
      one, actually two, steps further.
      More...from the KC Star at:

      The Francophone Games: Pardon our confusion:
      Wayne Scanlan, The Ottawa Citizen
      There is consensus on absolutely nothing concerning the Francophone Games.
      Many people don't know what they are or if they should be excited that the
      Games are coming to Ottawa-Hull in July. They can't decide whether to rush
      out to buy tickets to the poetry reading, the busking competition or the
      100-metre dash.
      They understand that Canada has a place among the 53 nations involved, but
      three places? See, they get a little confused to learn that Canada has three
      Games entries: Canada, Canada-Quebec and Canada-New Brunswick. Aren't
      Canada-West and Canada-Manitoba certain to feel left out? People here have
      relatives in Quebec and New Brunswick. They are utterly torn concerning
      which one of the three Canadian nations deserves their allegiance.
      More...from the Ottawa Citizen at:

      Images of the Heart:
      Heart disease is the number one killer in the United States, but having a
      heart attack is sometimes the first sign that something is wrong. Wouldn't
      it be better to diagnose it before the time bomb goes off?
      According to the American Heart Association, this year an estimated 1.1
      million Americans are expected to have a heart attack. The National Heart,
      Lung and Blood Institute launched a 10-year large scale study last year to
      find ways of detecting heart disease before it produces symptoms, but
      doctors are already using new technology to screen people who have heart
      disease or are at high risk of developing it. Two new imaging techniques are
      offering better views of exactly what's going on in the heart, before
      trouble strikes.
      More...from drkoop.com at:

      Hydration Tips
      By Steve Pyle and Janel Willette
      Steamy evenings and tough workouts define the season - and raise your risk
      of heat induced injury dramatically. Only by heat hydrating properly can you
      perform well without overheating your body. Here's how and-why-you should
      drink on the run.
      As you run, your muscles produce a tremendous amount of heat as they
      generate energy, and your body temperature surges upward. The heat produced
      by your muscles is then transferred to your blood as it moves through your
      muscles, and your blood carries the heat to your skin. Meanwhile, your sweat
      glands have shifted into high gear and soaked your skin with sweat. As sweat
      evaporates from the surface of your body, your body heat dissipates with it.
      As a result, you stay cool... to a point.
      This process occurs in all conditions hot or cold - but high heat and
      especially humidity complicate things, making it more difficult for your
      body to rid itself of excess heat.
      More...from Tri-ecoach.com at:

      A little protein can boost the power of sport drinks:
      By Edmund Burke, Ph.D. ,Active.com
      Thirty-five years ago, Dr. Robert Cade, a researcher at the University of
      Florida, added electrolytes and carbohydrates to water. He called his
      invention Gatorade, after the mascot for the university.
      It was the first commercial sports drink. Cade predicted that the addition
      of salt and carbohydrate to water would facilitate fluid replacement, help
      maintain cardiovascular performance and provide an energy source to working
      muscles. Many studies have now confirmed that endurance athletes who consume
      a 6-8% carbohydrate drink that includes the electrolytes, sodium and
      potassium, can exercise longer and with less fatigue than athletes who only
      drink water.
      More...from Active.com at:

      Nutrition Myth #41: Fasting Is an Effective "Cleansing" Process
      by Sue Gilbert, M.S., Nutritionist
      Q. Is fasting healthy? I am seriously thinking of going on a liquid diet
      (mostly bottled water) for several days to cleanse and detoxify, and also to
      shrink my stomach so I am not as hungry and will not overeat anymore. I
      appreciate any suggestions you have.
      A. Going on a fast will not cause a lasting change in your eating behavior.
      The most effective cure is learning not to overeat, which comes as a result
      of a slow change in behavior.
      I highly recommend a book called Habits Not Diets, by James Ferguson. It is
      essentially a workbook that takes you through the process of changing your
      eating habits for the better, forever, for permanent weight loss.
      Fasting isn't recommended, for a variety of reasons
      More...from Yahoo Health at:

      The Power Of Yoga:
      It bends. It stretches. It turns you into a human pretzel. But can it really
      cure what ails you?
      By Richard Corliss-- Time Magazine
      Stars do it. Sports do it. Judges in the highest courts do it. Let's do it:
      that yoga thing. A path to enlightenment that winds back 5,000 years in its
      native India, yoga has suddenly become so hot, so cool, so very this minute.
      It's the exercise cum meditation for the new millennium, one that doesn't so
      much pump you up as bliss you out. Yoga now straddles North America--from
      Hollywood, where $20 million-a-picture actors queue for a session with their
      guru du jour, to Washington, where, in the gym of the Supreme Court, Justice
      Sandra Day O'Connor and 15 others faithfully take their class each Tuesday
      More...from Canoe.ca at:

      Coming Up:

      June 2, 2001:

      Freihofer's Run for Women 5K
      Albany, NY
      Live Webcast on www.TrackMeets.com

      2001 ITU Regional Qualifier in Europe
      Sevilla, Spain

      June 2-3, 2001:

      Harry Jerome Track Classic
      Vancouver, BC

      Powerman Austria
      Weyer, Austria

      Oregon Track Classic
      Portland, OR

      Suzuki Rock 'n' Roll Marathon
      San Diego, CA

      Beat Beethoven Run
      Kingston, ON

      Kids Of Steel Triathlon
      Barhaven, ON

      Perth Triathlon
      Perth, ON

      June 4, 2001:

      Dublin Mini-Marathon
      Dublin, Ireland

      For a look at additional races check out the Runner's Web Races,
      Marathons and Calendars pages at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html or look at the "Coming Up"
      section on our FrontPage.

      Also check out the following site:
      This Week's Hot Links from Track and Field News at:
      There are a number if US indoor track meets on this week with links to
      the web sites available from the above link.

      Television and Online Coverage:
      [Check local listings as event times are subject to change]

      June 3 Track & Field "NCAA Outdoor Championships" 2:00-4:00 p.m. CBS

      Outdoor Life Network

      The Olympic Show
      The Olympic Show 4:00 p.m. CNBC

      CBC Sports Schedule

      CTV Sportsnet

      Sundays @ 1P.M. EDT
      Track & Field: The Running Zone

      Yahoo Sports TV Schedule
      [Long URL]

      Runner's World VCR Alerts

      USATF summer track broadcasting listing

      "A Woman's View of the World"

      Bikes on TV.com

      "The Paralympians" - CBC Broadcast Schedule
      The Paralympians is a series of profiles of Canadian athletes developed
      by the CBC. Interviews were conducted during the summer leading up to
      Sydney and then highlights from the Games were incorporated into the
      shows as well.
      The first episode aired in December (it was great!), and the remaining
      shows will be televised on CBC this spring:
      Saturday June 2 - 14:00 EST
      Saturday June 9 - 14:00 EST

      Meet Ms. Tri Digest:
      By Jill Redding, Inside Triathlon Editor
      This report filed May 29, 2001
      There's a smile in Katherine Williams's voice these days when she talks
      about her latest projects, including the third edition of "Triathlon 2001,"
      a comprehensive directory of the sport that Williams has been reporting on
      since 1982.
      The 41-year-old Williams has relocated to Maine, where she produces
      Triathlon Digest, a daily e-mail newsletter with contributions from the
      worldwide triathlon community. Tri Digest now has more than 900 paid
      subscribers and Williams is happily bringing the triathlon world together on
      a daily basis from her home office with an ocean view.
      More...from InsideTri at:

      ORDERING THE "TRIATHLON 2001" DIRECTORY: It's 488 pages, 5000+ listings.
      Totally international in scope. Everything you wanted to know about
      triathlon this year. E-mail addresses a-plenty. Everything else, too. The
      book costs either US$30 or 20 pounds sterling, plus shipping. You can send
      either checks, money orders or credit card details.

      USA and Canadian orders, etc., should be directed to: Katherine Williams,
      PO Box 323, Winter Harbor, ME 04693-0323, USA. (The cost, including
      shipping, is $34 for USA; $37 for Canada and Mexico. For orders to
      Australia, elsewhere, etc., the total is US $40).

      Those in Europe can order directly from SportsBooks for £20 -- add £2
      postage for the UK and £3 for the rest of Europe. Mail checks or money
      orders to Randall Northam, SportsBooks, PO Box 422, Worcester, WR1 1ZT,
      Kingdom. Fax number there (for sending credit card details) there is +44
      8700 750-888. Please contact Katherine
      (mailto:katherine@...) with any questions.

      Send this to a Friend:
      Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they
      at: http://www.egroups.com/subscribe.cgi/RunnersWeb

      Your Feedback and Comments:
      Comments, contributions and feedback are always welcome via this list
      at: mailto:runnersweb@onelist.com and in our Runner's Web Forum or Guest
      Book, available off our FrontPage. If you post to the mailing list and get
      your email returned, please contact the Runner's Web at
      mailto:runnersweb@... to notify us of the problem. To update your
      Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the web site at
      http://www.egroups.com/subscribe.cgi/RunnersWeb, sign in and update your

      Have a good week. Drop us a line and tell the list about yourself.

      Ken Parker
      Runner's Web
      runnersweb@... <mailto:runnersweb@...>

      The Runner's Web OneList is maintained by the Runner's Web. Visit us at